A Different Time, A Better Time

By: ARS Williams

Disclaimer: Xena and all other characters from Xena: Warrior Princess are not mine, they don’t belong to me. They belong to USA Universal Studios and all those other great people. All of the rest of the characters in this story are mine. There are also a few songs in the story, don’t worry this isn’t a musical. Just special times, like dancing, when a song is being played. So the songs aren’t mine either.

Sex Warning: Yes there is some sex between a male and female as well as implications towards sex in this story. It wouldn’t be a story with out a little lovemaking. <lol> If you’re not old enough to read it then don’t and if its too much for you, then my apologies, I have a very vivid imagination.

Subtext Warning: There’s a little cursing but nothing to run home and tell mother about. And there is also reference to two women being together. There is no more violence than your regular Xena episode.

Chapter Three: The Beginning of Xena and Ulysses’ Relationship

When morning came Ulysses was up bright and early eager to get the day started, so he went downstairs to the bathing room which held four nice size round tubs made out of wood and two showers. Ulysses decided to take a shower and when he was done he headed upstairs to his room where he dressed then headed downstairs. When he got downstairs the Inn was open but since it was early morning there weren’t many people there but that would soon change if last night was any indication. Ulysses walked over to the table where he saw Virgil sitting with his head down on the table and Ulysses grinned as he sat down.

“Good morning,” Ulysses said and Virgil looked at him, “too early. Ulysses why in the world are we up this early, the sun just rose a few minutes ago?” Virgil said and Ulysses looked at him, “I wanted to get an early start,” Ulysses said and Virgil shook his head. Ulysses looked up as Toris and Lyceus walked out of the kitchen and over to their table, “morning,” Toris said. “Good morning,” Ulysses said, “I’m Toris and this is my brother Lyceus,” Toris said and Ulysses nodded as he shook both of their hands. “I’m Ulysses and this is my friend Virgil,” Ulysses said and Toris shook Virgil’s hand then turned and looked at Ulysses. “I heard what you did last night when those thugs came in and I want to say thank you for protecting my mother and sister,” Toris said and Ulysses nodded. “It wasn’t a problem,” Ulysses said, “we usually would have been up here but we had an exhausting day and well, we fell asleep.” Lyceus said with a sheepish grin and Ulysses nodded, “believe me I understand. Could you guys maybe use some extra hands?”

Ulysses asked and Toris looked at him, “are you kidding?” Toris asked, “wait mom doesn’t have the extra money,” Lyceus said and Toris nodded. “That’s okay, Cyrene and I worked it all out last night. Virgil and I stay for free and eat for free and we help you guys out wherever needed,” Ulysses said and Virgil began to say something when Ulysses kicked him under the table and Virgil frowned at him but kept his mouth closed. “Oh, okay but that seems like we’re taking advantage of you,” Toris said and Ulysses shook his head then looked over to the front door and saw Xena walk in. She was coming from her run and exercise so she was covered in a light sheen of sweat, “believe me you’re not,” he said then grinned when Xena looked at him and grinned. Toris and Lyceus both turned their heads to see what Ulysses was looking and grinning at and they saw Xena grinning back and she just shook her head as she walked into the kitchen; Ulysses found himself looking at her perfect, strong, in perfect shape thighs since she had on shorts that came to the middle of her thighs.

Toris and Lyceus turned back and looked at Ulysses who looked at them, “so do you guys want the help or not?” Ulysses asked and they looked at him, “yea we can definitely use it,” Toris said. “Um my mother didn’t agree to marry Xena off to you if you did all these things for free did she?” Lyceus asked and Ulysses shook his head, “nothing of the sort,” Ulysses said and Lyceus nodded. “Sorry just had to make sure,” Lyceus said and Ulysses nodded, “I understand, you’re her brother you’re protective of her,” Ulysses said and Lyceus and Toris both nodded. “I have a few things to fix here today and if Cyrene doesn’t have anything else for me to do I’ll meet you guys out in the fields. Until then Virgil will go with you,” Ulysses said and Virgil looked at him and when Ulysses kicked him he nodded, “um…yea, yea just let me get a little something in my stomach.” Virgil said as he turned and looked at Toris and Lyceus and they nodded then walked away. When they were out of ear shot Virgil kicked Ulysses back under the table, “we’re not getting paid? And what in Tartarus do I know about farming?”

Virgil asked and Ulysses looked at him, “will you relax. We’re not getting paid because we don’t need the money, if we took their money Virgil, it would be like we were taking advantage of them. And secondly, so you don’t know anything about farming, neither do I but we’ll learn.” Ulysses said and Virgil looked at Ulysses as he let out a breath and shook his head, “all this for a woman. I tell you she better be worth it,” Virgil said then stood and went over to the bar where he talked to one of the other waitresses. Ulysses looked over to the kitchen door as Cyrene walked out of the kitchen and he stood and went over to her. “Good morning Cyrene,” Ulysses said and she smiled at him, “good morning Ulysses,” she said. “Do you happen to have any tools?” Ulysses asked and Cyrene nodded, “I told Toris to get them for you, he should be back in a minute,” she said and Ulysses nodded then turned his attention to Xena who walked out of the kitchen with a belt that held tools in it. “These are for you,” Xena said as she placed them on the bar and he grinned at her, “thanks,” he said and she gave him a small grin as she nodded.

“Um Xena,” Ulysses called as she began to walk away and she turned and looked at him, “would you like to have dinner before the crowd comes in? That way we’ll be able to here each other when we talk and you’ll still be able to help your mother with the rush.” He said and she looked at him, “sure, whatever,” she said in a nonchalant voice trying to make it seem that she wasn’t excited about dinner tonight with him when she was actually looking forward to it. Ulysses watched her go then let out a breath and Cyrene grinned as she patted his hand, “don’t fret dear, that’s just how she is. If you’re truly sincere about getting to know her then eventually you’ll learn her many ways and moods. This will be a real experience for you, Xena is a real challenge,” Cyrene said and Ulysses grinned. “Challenges are my specialty, you’ll see Cyrene, I’ll win your daughter’s heart,” Ulysses said and Cyrene grinned, “we’ll see,” she said as she headed back into the kitchen. ‘You’ll win her daughter’s heart? Where in the world did that come from Ulysses? You’ve never wanted anything more than comfort and sex from a woman and now you want to win Xena’s heart. Not only that, you want her to capture yours. Gods what am I getting myself in to?’

Ulysses thought to himself then grabbed the belt and put it on then grabbed the table that was broken from last night and brought it through the kitchen where he decided not paying that much attention to Xena was a good thing. He brought the table out through the backdoor, outside where he would have plenty room to work and better lighting to see. “Ulysses depending on how well you fix that table I’ve got some other tables and chairs that need fixing,” Cyrene said as she stood in the doorway and Ulysses nodded then went to work. Ulysses was thanking the gods that he hung around a builder for some months when he was a teenager, otherwise he would have been all talk. The problem with that table was, one of the legs were broken, another was shaky and there were a couple of deep nicks Ulysses was sure he could fix. So he cut some wood using the chopping block that was in the yard; he cut the wood then cut it into the length he would need. When he was finished he stooped down by the table and looked at the other legs, measuring the new one he was about to make and making sure he made it as the same shape as the others.

It took him about fifteen minutes to shape the leg into the way it was supposed to be and then he used some rough papyrus to sand it down so that it was smooth and the edges were nice. When he was done he pulled the hammer and a few nails from the belt and put the leg onto the table. When he was done he looked at the leg that was shaky and saw that a nail was bent so he pulled it out, sand the leg down some then nailed it back onto the table. By the time he was finished the table was sturdier than it had ever been and he grinned to himself happy with his work and that he hadn’t forgotten how to do these things. ‘Now for these nicks’ Ulysses thought as he looked at them, they were too deep to sand down but he had an idea. He picked up a few chips and splinters of wood and shaped them with a knife into that shape of the nicks on the table. He used some wood glue and glued them in place letting each dry before he came back and sanded them down to perfection; he looked at the table and nodded. “Cyrene,” Ulysses called and the innkeeper walked out of the back door wiping her hands on her apron as she walked over to Ulysses.

“What do you think?” Ulysses asked and Cyrene walked around the table looking at it then shook it to check its sturdiness and one of her eyebrows went up in surprise. “This is real good,” she said then looked closer at the table, “what happened to the nicks that were in this table?” She asked as she looked at Ulysses, “oh I just used some wood and placed them in the nicks then sanded them down so that they actually became a part of the table.” He said and she looked at him and nodded, “Xena come see this,” Cyrene called and Ulysses picked up one of the tools as Xena walked out of the kitchen and over to the table. Ulysses raised his eyes and looked at Xena who was in a sleeveless shirt and skirt that fell to the middle of her legs and her hair was pulled back into a ponytail. He watched as she checked the table and saw surprise in her eyes but as soon as he saw it, it was gone. “Not bad,” she said as she looked at Ulysses and he nodded, “thanks,” he said and she nodded then headed back into the kitchen and Ulysses let out a breath he didn’t even know he had been holding.

“I like your work Ulysses,” Cyrene said and Ulysses nodded, “thanks,” he said and she nodded, “now bring that one back inside and I’ll show you some other’s that need some work.” Cyrene said then headed back into the Inn and Ulysses picked up the table and carried it back into the Inn going through the kitchen into the dinning area where he sat the table down where it used to be. He walked back into the kitchen where Cyrene told him to follow her down the stairs and then they walked down the hall until she came to a door. She opened it and Ulysses looked inside where he saw broken tables, chairs, stools and even a few pieces of furniture such as beds and dressers. “All of this?” Ulysses asked and Cyrene nodded, “yea, some people just get carried away when they come to an Inn.” Cyrene said and Ulysses nodded, “I’m gonna need more wood,” he said, “check behind the barn,” Cyrene said and Ulysses nodded. “Well I guess I better get to work,” he said then walked into the room grabbing two broken chairs and coming out with them. Cyrene grinned as she watched him then followed him back up the stairs and to the kitchen where she continued cooking with Xena of course helping.

The day was passing by quickly for Ulysses as he fixed chairs and stools, first getting the smaller things out of the way before he tackled the big things like the tables, beds and dressers. As the day moved on the sun beamed down on him to the point that he got so hot he took his shirt off, placing it off to the side as he continued working. Xena was in the kitchen mixing up some batter for a cake when she looked up towards the window and saw Ulysses shirtless as he stooped down and looked at a chair. His back shined a little with sweat and she could see his muscles move as he moved, her eyes traveled over Ulysses body as he stood and she got a chance to look at his muscled chest and stomach and her eyes ran down to his thighs that looked so strong and when he turned she could see his butt. “Real nice,” Cyrene said as she looked out the window as well, startling Xena out of her observation and the day dream she was on the verge of having. “He’s alright,” she said in that same nonchalant voice from earlier as she continued to stir the contents in the bowl.

Cyrene grinned as she shook her head at her daughter, “its hot out there, why don’t you go bring him a cup of water,” Cyrene suggested and Xena looked at her. “But the cake,” Xena said and Cyrene took the bowl from her daughter’s hands, “I’ll finish stirring, it’s not going to take you an hour to bring him a cup of water.” Cyrene said and Xena nodded then walked over to the pitcher which sat in a cupboard to keep the water cool. She poured some of the water into a cup then placed the pitcher back, before she headed out the door. She walked over to Ulysses who was staring at the chair with some thought, “Ulysses,” Xena called, “hmm?” He answered as he continued to look at the chair, “I brought you some water,” she said and he looked up at her. “Thanks,” he said then stood and was about to take the cup from Xena when he had an idea. “Would you do me a favor?” He asked and she looked at him, “it depends on what it is,” she said and he grinned at her. “Are you normally this suspicious?” He asked and she looked at him, “only with strange men I don’t know,” she said with a grin and he grinned back.

“Well hopefully our dinner this evening will begin to remedy that problem,” Ulysses said and she gave him a small grin, “perhaps,” she said. “Will you sit in this chair for me?” Ulysses asked and Xena raised an eyebrow causing him to grin, “look, I’m just trying to fix it, I assure you, you won’t fall and it won’t break.” He said and she looked at him and nodded then sat down. The chair rocked a little but it didn’t break; Xena looked at Ulysses as he stooped down and looked at the back of the chair around its legs, “lean back for me,” he said and Xena leaned back in chair and Ulysses found what he was looking for. “There’s the problem,” Ulysses said, “what?” Xena asked unable to stop herself, “well this leg is on at a weird angle,” Ulysses said then grabbed the hammer and it the leg knocking it into the angle he wanted it to be in. When that was done he grabbed a nail and hammered it into the leg at a weird angle but it would keep the leg in the angle he put it on. When he was done Ulysses shook his head as he realized all the legs were like that. He did the other back leg then moved up to the front leg close to Xena’s leg, “can I get up?”

She asked, “no, not just yet,” he said as he fixed that leg then moved over to the other and when he was finished he was on his knees in front of Xena and was looking into her eyes. “Um…I’m not going to hurt you but I want to see something else,” he said and she looked into his eyes and nodded. Instead of being on his knees in front of Xena he stooped down and continued to look in her eyes as he leaned forward and grabbed the sides of the chair the part which Xena was sitting on. “You might want to put your hands on my shoulders,” he said and she looked at him, “I’ll be fine,” she said and he nodded then with the strength in his arms and using his legs he picked the chair up with Xena still in it. She rocked some and her hands flew to Ulysses’ upper arms where she held on and she could feel the muscles rippling underneath. “Told you to hold on,” he said as he looked at her and she looked back at him, “would you just hurry up and do whatever it is you’re gonna do.” Xena said and Ulysses nodded and looked at the chair as Xena said in it, “lean forward,” he said and she leaned forward a little and he chuckled.

“Look Xena I need to see the back of the chair and how its holding up under pressure so I’m gonna need you to lean forward enough so that I can see.” He said then looked into her eyes, “I won’t hurt you,” he said and she looked into his eyes and let out a breath as she leaned forward until she was presses against him. Ulysses closed his eyes momentarily to inhale her beautiful scent, “that’s good, now just hold that position,” Ulysses said then looked at the back off the chair and saw that it did need a little work. “Okay I’m finished,” he said but Xena didn’t seem to hear him as she luxuriated in the feel and smell of him and for a moment she wondered how his skin tasted. “Xena,” Ulysses called snapping her out of her thoughts and she looked at him, “I’m finished,” he said and Xena nodded and pulled back as he lowered the chair to the ground but her hands still held his arms. Ulysses looked into her eyes as he stood and took one of her hands from his arm and pulled her up to her feet and she looked into his eyes falling into them like he was falling into hers. “You are so beautiful,” Ulysses said and Xena looked at him, “is that all you see when you look at me?”

She asked and Ulysses grinned as he shook his head, “no I see so much more. I see that you’re intelligent, brave, honest, bold, extremely interesting,” he said and she smiled at him as she turned her head to the side a small blush appearing on her face and he smiled at her. “You have the most beautiful smile,” he said as he caressed her cheek with his fingers and this small touch felt so good she couldn’t help but lean slightly into it. Ulysses looked at her as she leaned into his touch, ‘gods her skin is so soft, so warm,’ he thought to himself but didn’t want it to seem like he was moving too fast too soon so he removed his fingers and looked at her. “You said you brought me some water,” he said snapping Xena out of her own thoughts and she nodded then stooped down and picked up the cup from the ground and handed it to him. “Thanks,” he said as he took it from her and down the cup’s entire contents. Xena saw a drop of water roll down the side of his mouth down his chin and she found herself wanting to be that drop of water and then she wanted to kiss it away ‘stop that, stop that, stop that. Get those thought out of your mind, you don’t even know this man, for all you know he could be a killer.

But I don’t see that when I look into his eyes. Those beautiful brown eyes; stop, stop, stop just take the cup and go back into the Inn. Do it now before you do something you regret’ Xena told herself and she gave Ulysses a grin as she took the cup from him. “It’s almost time for lunch isn’t it?” Ulysses asked as he looked up at the sky then back at Xena who nodded, “yea, I’ll be getting ready to take Toris, Lyceus and your friend some lunch.” Xena said and Ulysses nodded and watched as she turned to go, “Xena,” he called and she turned and looked at him. “Yea?” She answered, “do you mind if I take that walk with you, I promised Toris and Lyceus I’d help them with the fields.” Ulysses said and Xena looked at him, “alright, I’ll be leaving in about fifteen minutes,” she said and Ulysses nodded and watched as she walked back into the Inn and he turned around and grinned to himself as it seemed like he was making a little progress. Xena walked back into the kitchen and sat the cup down on the counter then turned and looked at her mother who was stirring a pot.

Xena sat down on a stool and grabbed a knife as she began chopping up vegetable, “so, what color are his eyes?” Cyrene asked, “brown, but their light, kind of like the light brown on top of a cake when its…” she started saying without thought then looked at her mother who was grinning from ear to ear. “And how did it feel to be so close to him?” Cyrene asked and Xena shook her head and turned her attention to what she was chopping, “I don’t know,” she said and Cyrene grinned as she walked over to the counter and looked at her daughter. “Come on Xena, there are some things you don’t fight, there are some things you just let happen. Like falling in love,” Cyrene said then raised her daughter’s chin so that she was looking into Xena’s confused eyes. “And there are some things you can’t help, like your strong attraction to Ulysses and his strong attraction to you,” Cyrene said and Xena looked into her mother’s eyes. “How do you know so much?” Xena asked and Cyrene grinned at her, “I’m your mother dear, plus I was a young woman once myself,” she said and Xena looked at her mother then down at a vegetable she was toying with.

“I don’t even know him but being in his arms felt so good, for that small amount of time I felt so content so safe,” Xena said then looked into her mother’s eyes. “That can’t be right I just met him yesterday and already…” she said but didn’t finish and she didn’t have to. “He’s invoking feelings in you you’ve never felt and those feelings feel so good but at the same time so wrong because you don’t know him,” Cyrene said and Xena looked at her mother and nodded. “What do I do momma?” Xena asked in a small voice and Cyrene grinned at her as she placed her hand on top of her daughter’s hands. “Get to know him Xena, spend time with him. See if you can like the man he is and if he can like the woman you are, you both probably have more in common than you know. And I know it’s a scary thought but let him into your heart,” Cyrene said and Xena looked down. “I don’t know if I can do that,” Xena said and Cyrene looked at her, “then just get to know him and in time that may come naturally,” Cyrene said and Xena nodded.

“Now I’ve fished the lunches so grab that basket over there and take it to your brothers and Virgil, there’s also enough in there for you and Ulysses.” Cyrene said and Xena nodded as she took off her apron hanging it up on the hook on the wall and then she went to go wash up real quick. Cyrene grinned then looked up as Ulysses walked into the kitchen with two chairs and headed downstairs where he placed them back in the room. He came back up the stairs and let out a breath as he grabbed a towel and wiped his face and hands on it. “Cyrene I told Toris and Lyceus that I would help them with the fields so I’ll do some work here in the mornings then head over to the fields after lunch.” Ulysses said and Cyrene nodded, “sounds good, thank you for the work you’ve done already, the things you’ve fixed are better than they ever were.” Cyrene said and Ulysses nodded, “it was no problem,” he said then looked at Xena as she came up the stairs and now her hair was hanging, the length of it past her shoulders. “Are you ready?” She asked and Ulysses nodded as he stood and Xena grabbed the basket off of the counter, “I’ll be back in a couple of minutes mom,” Xena said, “take your time dear, Dana will help me while you’re gone.”

Cyrene said and Xena nodded and grinned at Ulysses as he held the door open for her and she walked out and he followed her. “Can I take that for you?” Ulysses asked referring to the basket and Xena looked down at it, “no, I’ve got it,” she said and Ulysses nodded and they walked for a minute and Xena looked at him. ‘He’s only trying to be a gentleman Xena’ she berated herself, “on second thought, you could,” she said and he looked at her. “Are you sure?” He asked and she nodded, “yea that is if you don’t mind,” she said and Ulysses shook his head and took the basket from her. They walked for a couple of minutes in silence and Xena looked at Ulysses, “so Ulysses are you a builder?” Xena asked and Ulysses looked at her then shook his head, “no not really, I just like working with my hands,” he said and Xena nodded. “Well someone must’ve taught you what you know, from what I’ve seen you’re real good.” Xena said and Ulysses grinned, “really? I thought I wasn’t bad?” Ulysses said as he repeated her words from earlier and she grinned at him as she nodded, “yea well, I’m guarded around people I don’t know.”

She said and Ulysses nodded, “so I see and so you should be. Not everyone man is as honest and good looking as I am,” he said with a grin and she chuckled at him. “What you don’t think I’m good looking?” He asked and she looked at him, “you’re alright,” she said with a sort of straight face. ‘Ooh you know you’re lying, that man is the best looking man you’ve ever seen’ Xena thought to herself and Ulysses grinned as he nodded. “I’m alright,” he said then looked at Xena, “you know you just crushed all my hopes.” Ulysses said and Xena chuckled at him, “here I am going around Greece thinking I’m as handsome as Apollo or Ares,” Ulysses said and Xena laughed at him and Ulysses smiled he loved the sound of her laughter. “And you just crushed that wonderful dream,” Ulysses said and Xena nodded as she looked at him. “Can I at least get that I’m better than alright?” He asked and she grinned as she looked at him, “alright, you’re better than alright,” she said and he nodded. “That’s better, now I’m not totally crushed,” he said and she chuckled at him. “Xena of Amphipolis says I’m better than alright and her word means something,” Ulysses said and Xena grinned at him, “my word only means something to about a hand full of people.”

Xena said and Ulysses looked at her, “well, your word means something to me, if that means anything,” Ulysses said and Xena looked at him and nodded, “it does.” She said and Ulysses nodded and they continued walking and doing a little talking. Toris, Lyceus and Virgil were taking a break since it was around the time when Xena would bring them lunch; Toris was washing his hands in a bucket of clean water trying to get the dirt off of his hands. “Hey Toris,” Lyceus said as he hit his brother arm and Toris looked up to see Xena and Ulysses walking towards them but what caught their eye, was that Xena was smiling as she talked to Ulysses who was also smiling. “Hey guys,” Ulysses said as they stood in front of them and Toris looked at him, “hey,” he said then looked at Xena. “I brought your lunch,” Xena said and they just looked at her while Ulysses looked around for Virgil and found him sitting under a tree with his knees drawn up, eyes closed and head leaned back. “He’s been a real help, had to show him something only once and he got it,” Lyceus said and Ulysses nodded, “yea that’s Virgil, he was always the smart one in our class.”

Ulysses said then decided to walk over to Virgil while Xena handed her brothers their lunch; Ulysses stooped down next to Virgil and looked at his friend, “how’s it going?” Ulysses asked and Virgil grinned, “when this is all over I’m going to kill you,” Virgil said and Ulysses nodded. “That bad huh?” Ulysses asked and Virgil turned his head and looked at his friend, “well if it’s any help, they said you’ve been a real help, that you learn really fast,” Ulysses said and Virgil was about to say something Ulysses was pretty sure would have been nasty but he looked up as Xena walked over. “I’ll talk to you later,” Virgil said between clenched teeth as he smiled at Xena while standing. “Thank you,” he said as he took the sandwich from her and she grinned and nodded, “my brothers have some cool cider down there.” Xena said and Virgil nodded and headed down to Toris and Lyceus where he sat down and ate with them sharing some conversation. Xena walked over to Ulysses who had sat down and handed him a sandwich out of the basket, “thank you, will you join me?” He asked and she looked at him, “are you sure you don’t want some time to yourself to relax?”

Xena asked and Ulysses grinned as he shook his head, “no, I might start thinking too much, besides I like your company,” he said and Xena grinned. “Of course you might think you’re too beautiful to have lunch with a guy that’s a little more than alright,” he said still pretending like he was offended and Xena chuckled at him. “Oh here,” he said as he took off his shirt and placed it on the ground so that she could sit down and she grinned at him, “thanks, but I don’t think the dirt would have hurt my dress,” she said as she sat down and he hunched his shoulders. “Who said it was the dress I was worried about?” He asked as he unwrapped the cloth from around the sandwich and Xena looked at him, a grin coming to her features as she unwrapped her own sandwich and Ulysses caught a glimpse of that grin. As they sat there and ate, Ulysses poured Xena some cider into her glass, handing it to her and then he poured some in his own glass.

“So you went to school?” Xena asked and Ulysses nodded as he chewed the food in his mouth, “yea, back home, Virgil and I went to an academy,” he said and Xena nodded. “And where is home?” She asked and he looked at her then looked down at his sandwich, “would you be terribly upset if I didn’t tell you?” He asked and she looked at him, “no, we all have our secrets but assuming I’m correct in this and you stop me if I’m not, but you want to get to know me so that perhaps we can become more than friends.” Xena said and Ulysses nodded, “but a relationship can’t go far with secrets Ulysses,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded. “I know that Xena but me not telling you where I’m from, has more to do with me and my fears. How about I explain more at dinner?” He asked and she looked at him and nodded, “sure,” she said and then they went back to eating and things were quiet for a while. “So, you’re saying that there is a chance that you and I could be more than friends?” Ulysses asked and Xena grinned at him, “maybe. Our time tonight at dinner will tell, as well as days, weeks and months after that.”

Xena said and Ulysses grinned as he nodded, “I’m willing to take however much time is needed for you and I to get to know each other. You’re not going to scare me off with time Xena,” Ulysses said and Xena looked at him and nodded then finished her sandwich. “Well I better be going,” she said as she placed things back in the basket and Ulysses finished his sandwich and threw the cloth in the basket. Ulysses stood then held out his hand to Xena who grinned as she took it and he pulled her up to her feet, he stooped down and picked up the basket for her and her grin turned into a smile. “I’ll see you at dinner,” she said and Ulysses nodded, “I wouldn’t miss it for the world,” he said and she grinned and nodded then walked away and Ulysses watched her for a moment then picked up his shirt and shook it before he put it on. Xena walked over to her brothers and Virgil and they placed their things back into the basket and Virgil walked over to Ulysses. “Mom told me to tell you guys to end a candle mark early today,” Xena said and they looked at her. “Why?” Toris asked, “well for one, you were dead tired yesterday and well…I have dinner plans with Ulysses.”

She said and they looked at her, “Xena what are you doing with this guy?” Toris asked, “nothing, its just dinner,” Xena said and they looked at her. “I thought you liked him?” Xena asked, “we don’t know him and neither do you,” Lyceus said and Xena looked at him. “Which is the whole purpose of the dinner,” Xena said and Toris looked at her then shook his head, “it’s your life Xena but all I can say is be careful and if he hurts you, I’ll kill him,” Toris said as he looked into his sister’s eyes then walked away. Xena let out a breath and looked at Lyceus who looked back at her, “I’m tired of being alone Ly and so far he likes me for me. He’s interested in who I am and not just the way I look, I’m not going to jump into bed with him and then marry him. You know that’s not me, besides, he says he just wants to get to know me,” Xena said and Lyceus nodded. “Every man wants something from a woman Xena, whether it’s money, sex or companionship so ask yourself what does Ulysses wants from you.

If he’s someone you feel you can trust then get to know him Xena, I mean really get to know him, find out his darkest secrets and his most passionate desires. When you get to know these things, then and only then, do you let him into your heart; I don’t want you to get hurt again,” he said and Xena nodded. “I know, believe me I’ve been thinking about it,” she said and he looked at her, “you’ve still never told mother or even Corrinna?” Lyceus asked and Xena shook her head, “I couldn’t, it was just…too hard,” she said then let out a breath as she raised her eyes and looked at her brother. “That’s all behind me now, anyway I’m looking forward to a new and brighter future and who knows what good things can happen.” Xena said and Lyceus grinned and nodded, “who knows,” he said and Xena grinned at him. “You know you and Toris need to find yourselves some girlfriends so mom can stop harassing me about grandchildren,” Xena said and Lyceus chuckled.

Ulysses watched from a far as Xena talked to her brother and he watched as she smiled and laughed; he watched as she placed a kiss on Lyceus’ cheek then walked away heading back to the Inn. “Why don’t I show you just what I’ve been up to,” Virgil said as he wrapped his arm around Ulysses’ shoulder and Ulysses looked at him then got this bad feeling that this was going to be the way Virgil was going to repay him. Xena made it back to the Inn and when she got there her mother was sitting at the table peeling potatoes and talking with Corrinna. “Xena you’re back, I thought you would have been longer,” Cyrene said and Xena grinned at her. “I’m sure you did,” Xena said as she placed the basket on the counter, “what’s this Cyrene’s telling me about some handsome young man who’s very interested in you. He even saved the Inn from being destroyed,” Corrinna said and Xena grinned.

“His name is Ulysses which I’m sure mother has already told you and we’re just having dinner tonight so that we can start to get to know each other,” Xena said as she placed the cups in the sink then turned and looked at them. “And don’t you guys go making a big deal out of this, its just dinner,” Xena said and they nodded. “Its just dinner, got it,” Cyrene said and Xena rolled her eyes as she walked out of the kitchen while hearing her mother and Corrinna chuckle. Xena walked out into the dinning area and grabbed a wet towel from behind the bar and began wiping off tables, as she did that her mind wandered to Ulysses and she found herself grinning as she thought about him. The rest of the day seemed to pass by fast for both Xena and Ulysses and before either one of the knew it, time snuck up on them and it was time for Xena to go get cleaned up and dressed and it was time for Ulysses to head back to the Inn to take a shower and put on fresh clothes.

“I’ve got to go or I’m going to be late,” Ulysses said as he grabbed his shirt and Virgil just rolled his eyes, “go ahead Ulysses,” Lyceus said and Ulysses looked at him. “Are you sure?” He asked and Lyceus nodded, “trust me you don’t want to make Xena wait,” he said and Ulysses nodded. “I’ll make it up to you guys tomorrow,” Ulysses said then took off running the way he came with Xena. Cyrene and Corrinna looked up as Ulysses ran threw the door and up the stairs with his shirt in his hands. “That was him?” Corrinna asked and Cyrene nodded, “not bad from the blur I saw of him,” Corrinna said and Cyrene grinned. Ulysses raced up to his room and went into his bag throwing clothes all around until he found a shirt and pair of pants that were acceptable to him. He raced down stairs to the bathing room where he quickly took a shower, making sure to catch all the important parts, especially under his arms. When he was done, he quickly dried himself off, along with his hair that he washed. He put his clothes on then ran back up to his room where he threw the dirty clothes into a corner and looked into a mirror as he fixed his clothes.

He tucked his shirt neatly into his pants then pulled it out some; he sat down on the bed and put on his boots and when he was done he grabbed his brush and brushed his wet hair back. He looked at himself in the mirror then let out a breath before he walked out of his room and went downstairs to the kitchen where he looked around, “she hasn’t come up yet has she?” He asked and Cyrene shook her head, “good,” Ulysses said then let out a breath as he sat down in a chair only to pop up a minute later. “Where are you going?” Cyrene asked, “I’ve got to get something,” he said as he walked out of the kitchen. He walked back into the kitchen five minutes later breathing hard but Cyrene grinned as she saw the bouquet of lilies in his hands. “You ran all the way to the market to get some flowers?” Cyrene asked and Ulysses nodded and Corrinna grinned. “I like that, a man who knows how to treat a woman,” Corrinna said as she stood and Ulysses looked at her. “My name is Corrinna,” she said as she held out her hand and Ulysses grinned as he shook it.

“Ulysses,” he said and Corrinna nodded, “I know,” she said then began circling him. “Not bad,” she said then got a look at his butt, “not bad at all,” she said. “He’s alright,” a voice said from the stairs and Ulysses turned and looked at Xena as she walked up the stairs, her eyes meeting his. “She likes hurting my feelings,” Ulysses said to Corrinna and Xena chuckled at Ulysses as she walked up to him. “You look…” he said then shook his head since he was at a loss for words, which was a first for him. Xena wore a sea green dress that fell down to the middle of her legs but clung to all of her curves; it showed off enough cleavage to keep him interested and the dress was made so that her chest was out as well as her shoulders since the straps were thin. Ulysses’ eyes went down to Xena’s legs which were smooth and shined with oil and she wore sandals. He looked at her and her hair was down but it was brushed and it shined with being cleaned and oiled. “There are no words that could even touch on how beautiful you look.”

He said and she grinned at him, “thank you and I must say you do look handsome,” she said and Ulysses smiled as he put his hand over his heart. “The gods must be smiling down on me, Xena thinks I’m handsome,” he said and she chuckled at him. “These are for you,” he said as he handed her the flowers and she took them from him with a look of surprise and wonder on her face. “You don’t like them?” He asked afraid that he had already done something wrong and she shook her head at him, “no I do like them, I love them,” she said as she looked at the pink and white lilies. “Lilies are my favorite, their very beautiful, thank you,” she said and Ulysses nodded. “Here I’ll take those and put them in some water,” Corrinna said as she took the flowers from Xena. “There’s a table ready for you guys over in the corner and I’ll have dinner out in a little bit,” Cyrene said and they nodded. “Shall we?” He asked as he held out his arm to her and Xena grinned as she placed her hand on his arm and they walked out of the kitchen. Ulysses escorted Xena over to the table that had been set up for them which was clear since it was different than any other table.

There was a table cloth on this table and two candle sticks along with a cooled bottle of wine; Ulysses pulled out Xena’s chair for her and she grinned as she sat down. “Would you like some wine?” He asked and Xena grinned and nodded, “please,” she said and Ulysses grinned as he unstopped the wine then picked up Xena’s glass and filled it half way. “Thank you,” she said as she took the glass from him and he nodded then poured himself a half a glass of wine then sat down in his chair across the table from Xena. “This is nice,” Xena said referring to the table and atmosphere as she took a sip of wine, “yea I’ll have to remember to thank Cyrene. My mind was totally gone, I was scattered; all I could think about was having dinner with you. I seemed to have forgotten about the actual dinner,” he said with a grin and Xena grinned and nodded. “Well I must admit I’d forgotten about it as well, you were on my mind,” she said and Ulysses smiled and nodded. “That’s nice to know,” he said then let out a breath as he looked at Xena.

“So tell me about yourself Xena,” Ulysses said and Xena looked at him, “what would you like to know?” She asked, “everything,” he said as he looked into her beautiful blue eyes and Xena grinned at him. “Well I was born and raised in Amphipolis, I’m twenty years old and I’m not like the other girls in the village.” Xena said and Ulysses nodded, “I know, if you were I wouldn’t have been interested,” he said and she looked at him. “Tell me about yourself Ulysses,” Xena said and Ulysses took a small gulp of wine then let out a breath, “well my story is a complicated one yet for some it seems so simple. I’m twenty five and I’m from an island, I know you want to know what island but I’m just not ready to tell you yet.” He said and Xena looked at him as he ran his finger over the rim of the glass a little grin coming to his face, “at the risk of sounding like a kid, I ran away from home,” he said and she looked at him. “And why would you do that?”

Xena asked and Ulysses let out a breath, “my father holds a lot of power at home and he wants me to follow in his footsteps. I just…” Ulysses said then let out a breath, “I just wasn’t ready for it or maybe I was I don’t know. All I know is that I felt like I was suffocating there, like someone was slowly squeezing the life out of me. I tried to deal with it…I did but I felt alone, empty and I just felt like I was missing something. Something important and please don’t ask me what it is because I couldn’t even begin to tell you. All I know is that something was calling to me, to my heart, my soul and I knew if I stayed home I would be miserable for the rest of my life.” Ulysses said then looked at Xena who looked at him, “and I’ve scared you off haven’t I, with my rambling?” Ulysses said and Xena grinned at him, “no you haven’t.”

She said, “I know how you were feeling. For years my mother wanted me to be like the rest of the village girls. Dress like them, act like them,” Xena said then shook her head. “That just wasn’t me; I prefer fishing to playing with dolls or gossiping over boys. I was rough; I liked hanging out with my brothers. Boys talked about me because I could out do them in things that they thought they were great in. I was weird because I thought about fighting rather than what dresses I was going to wear or when I would get married.” Xena said and Ulysses looked at her, “so that’s why you said I definitely wasn’t from around here?” Ulysses asked and Xena nodded, “most of the young men in the village don’t want to be bothered with me because I can fight, because I’m not the type of woman to do what they say and not question it. All they want in a woman is someone to cook, clean and bear their children for them. That’s not who I am nor is it who I want to be.”

Xena said and Ulysses nodded, “and who do you want to be?” He asked and she looked down at her glass as she swirled the wine in it. “I’m not sure, I just know that I’m meant to do more, be more than a simple village girl.” Xena said and Ulysses nodded, “I know what you mean and I don’t mind that you know how to fight or even that you like doing it. I see nothing wrong with a woman who can take care of herself,” Ulysses said and Xena looked into his eyes. “You’re strange,” she said and he chuckled at her, “why?” He asked and she looked at him, “you want the opposite of what all other men want. You actually want a woman who thinks for herself, who does what she wants,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded. “I do, I don’t want some mindless woman who will do whatever I tell her, I had enough of that at home.” Ulysses said then placed his elbows on the table as he clasped his hands together while looking into Xena’s eyes, “I like a challenge Xena. I like that you think for yourself, you do what you want and you’re not concerned about what others think of you. I would not change one thing about you, I like the way you are and I wouldn’t want to change anything about you.

If that makes me strange then I guess I am,” he said and Xena looked at him then down for a moment. “Well strange isn’t all together bad,” she said as she raised her eyes and looked at him and Ulysses grinned. “So what does your day usually consist of?” Ulysses asked and Xena grinned, “well let’s see. I wake up, go for a run, do some exercising and three days out of the week I have training. When I’m not training I help my mother around the Inn where I can. Despite not wanting to, I learned how to cook, my mother says very well so I help her cook. When I’m not cooking I help wait tables, wash clothes, clean up around the Inn. You name it I do it; when the dinner rush comes in, I wait on tables and I usually wind up crushing a few hands or punching some man for not knowing how to keep his hands to himself.” Xena said and Ulysses smiled as he took a gulp of wine, “yes, you are a good fighter from what I’ve seen. You have a nice perfect flow to your moves, like dancing.” Ulysses said and Xena grinned, “yea, well I’m learning from the best,” she said. “And who would that be?” He asked and she grinned at him as she picked up her glass, “you have your secrets, I have mine.”

She said and Ulysses grinned and nodded, “don’t let me interrupt you guys I’m just bringing your dinner,” the waitress said as she placed their plates on the table. “Cynthia this is Ulysses, Ulysses this is Cynthia, she’s a good friend at least one of the women in this village who doesn’t judge me.” Xena said and Cynthia grinned, “my mother always taught me you don’t judge someone you don’t know. It’s nice to meet you Ulysses,” she said and he grinned at her. “Same here,” he said and she nodded then walked away. “So other than fighting, what do you like to do?” Ulysses asked as they began eating, “well as I said I like fishing, Lyceus and I use to do it a lot when we were younger. I like to swim, I like to take walks and enjoy the surroundings; the area around Amphipolis is very beautiful. And I like horses, I like to ride them, it’s like nothing I’ve ever experienced before. I love it, it’s like totally being free,” Xena said and Ulysses looked at the smile on her face and how her eyes lit up when she talked about horses.

“So if you like horses so much you must have one?” Ulysses said and Xena shook her head as she chewed some food, “I could never afford one. I save money here and there but I always wind up using it for one thing or another. The Inn could be having a slow month and my mother needs help so I help her. Plus I’ve never really seen a horse that’s caught my eye,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded. “Well I like horses but I don’t like to ride them, I can and I do when I need to but I don’t get that feeling you do.” He said with a grin and Xena grinned at him, “it’s not for everyone.” She said and Ulysses nodded, “I do know how to fish however,” he said and Xena looked at him her eyes brightening up, “really?” Xena asked and Ulysses nodded, “yea my father taught me.” He said and Xena nodded, “so what do you like to do Ulysses?” Xena asked and Ulysses grinned as he looked at her, “uh…I haven’t done it in a while but I like to sing,” he said and Xena grinned as she looked at him with surprise in her eyes.

“Yea, yea I like to sing and yes I can actually sing and maybe I’ll show you one day if you don’t tease me,” he said and she grinned as she held up her hands. “I also can play a few instruments but I like the lyre best, I can play it pretty well but I don’t have one. Like you, I like to go for walks, we have some of the most beautiful places at home. I ran and I exercised to keep fit and it also helps to clear my head. Which was pretty often,” he said and Xena nodded. “I see you’ve had a talk with a tree,” she said as she ran her finger over the knuckles of his hand and Ulysses grinned. “Yea I had a long talk with a tree a couple of months ago,” he said and she nodded. “I know how that can be,” she said and they talked a while longer while they finished their dinner. When they were finished, Cynthia came and picked the plates up and they continued talking even as the Inn slowly began to fill up. They joked and laughed and they both were feeling better than they had in months. “I’ve had a really good time tonight Xena, just sitting here and talking with you, getting to know you, you getting to know me.”

Ulysses said as he looked into Xena’s eyes and they were both leaning forward, their arms resting on the table. “Yea, I had a great time tonight as well. We should do this again,” she said and he looked at her. “Really?” He asked and Xena grinned and nodded, “yea I have a feeling that there is much more to learn about you.” Xena said and Ulysses grinned and nodded, “alright, how about tomorrow evening, same time? I can tell I haven’t even scratched the surface of the wonderful woman you are,” Ulysses said and Xena grinned and nodded. “Alright,” Xena said and Ulysses grinned then stood and held out his hand to Xena. She grinned as she took it and he helped her up and walked her over to the kitchen door, “thank you for the great evening, I haven’t had one in a while,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded. “Same for me,” he said and she looked into his eyes, “are you getting ready to go to bed?” Xena asked, “no, I’m going to stay down here for a while and keep and eye on things until the crowd goes. Then I’ll head up,” Ulysses said and Xena nodded.

“Well in case I don’t get to tell you later,” she said then leaned forward and placed a kiss on his cheek. “Good night,” she whispered to him and he looked into her eyes falling into them. “Good night,” he said then watched as she turned and headed into the kitchen, Ulysses let out a breath as he turned and headed back over to their table. He sat down and let out a breath as he picked up his glass and a huge grin came to his face as he thought about Xena. “How was dinner?” Cyrene asked as Xena walked into the kitchen and Xena grinned as she looked at her mother, “I can’t lie, it was great,” she said and Cyrene smiled as did Corrinna. “If its okay with you mom, we’re gonna have dinner again tomorrow,” Xena said, “that’s more than okay with me Xena, it does my heart good to see you smile like that.” Cyrene said and Xena blushed as she looked down and grinned. “Yea well, I’m gonna go change,” she said then headed down the stairs. “What do you think?” Corrinna asked and Cyrene looked at her, “I think there is definitely something there,” Cyrene said and Corrinna nodded. “Definitely, did you see the way they were looking at each other? How much she smiles and laughs around him and she’s only known him for two days at the most.” Corrinna said and Cyrene nodded, “it’ll be good to see her happy. I know she had a relationship once and something bad happened but she won’t tell me.”

Cyrene said and Corrinna nodded, “neither will she tell me but I think she’s told Lyceus,” Corrinna said and Cyrene nodded. “It doesn’t surprise me; they’re close, almost as if they were twins. If something were to ever happen to Lyceus Xena would lose it and if something happened to Xena, I think Lyceus would take it really hard, he would be lost.” Cyrene said, “they’re good kids Cy, they look out for each other, they’ll be fine,” Corrinna said as she placed her hands on Cyrene’s shoulders. Then leaned in and placed a kiss on her neck, “I miss you,” Corrinna whispered and Cyrene turned around and looked at her, “and I miss you.” Cyrene said then leaned in and kissed Corrinna and when the kiss ended Corrinna looked into Cyrene’s eyes. “Why are we hiding this Cyrene, especially from the kids? I think they would be happy for us,” Corrinna said and Cyrene looked at her. “In time we will tell them Corrinna but you know how this village is, they may not accept our relationship, problems could start.” Cyrene said and Corrinna let out a breath and nodded, “I know, I know, I just want us to be together, I’m tired of hiding my love for you and you hiding yours for me, especially from those who we love. We have to sneak around to be together and it’s been a while since we’ve last made love.”

Corrinna said, “believe me I know, I’ve been missing your arms around me but just give it a little more time Cor…please for me,” Cyrene said and Corrinna nodded. “For you but we should tell the children soon,” Corrinna said and Cyrene nodded, “yea, we will, I promise you. Maybe we can sit down and have a nice dinner and tell them, you’re righ,t I think they would be happy for us,” Cyrene said and Corrinna grinned and nodded. She leaned in and kissed Cyrene one more time and they their embrace suddenly broke as Xena came back up the stairs. Xena looked at them then walked over to her mother, “what do you need me to do?” Xena asked and Cyrene grinned at her daughter remembering a time when she could barely get Xena in the kitchen. “What you do best,” she said and Xena grinned as she went about and starting putting things up. Hours passed by and Ulysses continued to think about Xena as he watched the people that came and left the Inn. He hadn’t seen Virgil so when people started leaving the Inn and it was becoming a little less crowded, Ulysses stood and went into the kitchen.

“Hi,” he said as he looked at Xena and she grinned, “hey,” she said and he walked over to the counter and leaned against it. “Have you seen Virgil?” Ulysses asked and Xena shook her head, “he, Toris and Lyceus took baths and I haven’t seen them since.” Cyrene said and Ulysses nodded, “well I was wondering could you fix a plate a food for Virgil so that I can take it to him,” Ulysses said and Xena nodded. “Sure,” she said and went to fix a plate for Virgil and Ulysses watched her move. When she fixed the plate she covered it with a cloth then poured some cider into a cup and placed them on the counter, in front of Ulysses. “Thanks,” Ulysses said and Xena nodded, “um…I know I may be pushing my luck,” Ulysses said and Xena looked at him then grinned as she leaned forward and placed a kiss on his cheek. “Was that what you wanted?” Xena whispered in Ulysses’ ear and he nodded. She pulled back and looked into his eyes and she began to fall into them like he was falling into hers.

She brought her hand up and ran her fingers over his cheek and he closed his eyes at her touch, “go, before his food gets cold,” Xena said and she removed her fingers and Ulysses looked into her eyes and nodded. “Good night,” he said then turned and headed up the stairs and Xena grinned as she turned and continued cleaning up the kitchen. Ulysses went up to Virgil’s room where he knocked on the door, he knocked again and a minute later the door opened and Virgil stood there leaning against the door as he looked at Ulysses through tired eyes. “I brought you something to eat,” Ulysses said and Virgil took the plate and cup from Ulysses and walked into the room leaving the door open for Ulysses to walk in which he did then closed the door behind him. Virgil walked over to the bed and sat the cup down on the table then took the cloth off of the plate and began eating. “How was your dinner?” Virgil asked as Ulysses sat down on the bed and Ulysses grinned, “it was great, I loved talking to her and I can tell she likes me.”

Ulysses said and Virgil nodded, “I’m sorry I was snappy earlier,” Virgil said and Ulysses shook his head. “It’s fine Virgil, I know this change can’t be easy for you but I want to thank you for coming this far with me.” Ulysses said and Virgil nodded, “you’re my best friend Ulysses, you’re like a brother to me and I’m here because I want to be. I guess I was a little upset that you were finding happiness and I’m still lonely,” Virgil said and Ulysses looked at him. “You can still find happiness Virgil, you never know your happiness could be in this town also but you have to relax and take everything in stride. I know farming isn’t what you want to be doing…” Ulysses started. “Actually I kind of like, in a strange way it relaxes me, it can just be exhausting. Also I’m getting the feel of what real hard work is like, I think I was beginning to get soft,” Virgil said and Ulysses grinned at his friend. “You’re finding happiness already Virgil, it’s just not in the form of sex with a woman,” Ulysses said with a grin and Virgil chuckled.

“Yea but I’m happy for you Ulysses, I’m happy that Xena is making you happy. I haven’t seen you this happy in a long time and you’ve only known her for two days.” Virgil said and Ulysses grinned and nodded, “yea, there’s just something about her that’s drawing me to her and I’m helpless to stop it, not that I want to.” Ulysses said then stood and walked around the room, “do you know she gave me a kiss on the cheek,” Ulysses said and Virgil grinned at his friend. “Her lips are so soft and perfect and that kiss made my heart flutter. And then I asked her to fix you a plate of food and afterwards she gave me another kiss,” Ulysses said and Virgil chuckled at his friend. “We’re having dinner again tomorrow,” Ulysses said and Virgil nodded, “that’s good,” Virgil said and Ulysses let out a breath and nodded then looked at his friend. “In the mornings I’ll be fixing things around here and then after lunch I’ll help you guys,” Ulysses said and Virgil nodded. “It’s planting season so there’s a lot of work to be done,” Virgil said and Ulysses nodded.

“I’m tired, I’ll see you in the morning,” Ulysses said of a sudden feeling tired and Virgil nodded, “I know the feeling and thanks for the food.” Virgil said and Ulysses nodded, “no problem,” he said then walked out of the door and went right next door to his room, where he stripped off his clothes and fell into the bed. He hugged his pillow and let out a breath as he thought about Xena and dosed off and his dreams were of Xena, a smile appearing on his face as he dreamed of her. When everyone was gone and the Inn was finally closed Xena, Cyrene and Corrinna cleaned up with help from Cynthia and then they all went to bed, Corrinna going to her house and Cynthia going to hers. Xena bid her mother a good night as she went into her room and Cyrene bid the same as she went into her room which was a door down across from Xena’s room. Xena got ready for bed cutting the lantern in her room down before she got into bed. She turned on her side and looked at the flowers that her mother had placed in a beautiful vase and sat them on her night stand.

Lilies were her favorite flower and these were especially beautiful; a smile came to Xena’s face as she thought about Ulysses and the good time they had at dinner. She had never had so much fun with someone, just talking to them about the things each of them liked to do. Then what surprised her the most, was that he liked her exactly the way she was, he didn’t want her to change at all and that was what began to pull her in. She lay there and thought about Ulysses and their evening and what would happen tomorrow evening until she dosed off.

Ithaca…

“Marguerite,” Julian called as he walked into Ulysses’ bedroom and found his wife sitting on their son’s bed. He walked over to the bed and sat down next to Marguerite, “hey,” he said as he placed some of her hair behind her ear and she turned and looked at him her eyes red from crying. “It’s been over two months and he hasn’t even sent a letter or a message saying that he’s alright. What if he’s hurt or worse?” Marguerite said, “shh…shh you can’t think like that my love.” Julian said as he wrapped his arm around Marguerite then leaned in and placed a kiss on her forehead and she closed her eyes as tears ran down her face and she hugged her husband. “I miss him so much and I’m worried about him. I just wish I knew if he was alright,” she said and Julian nodded. “I know but I believe he is, Ulysses is strong and intelligent,” Julian said and Marguerite let out a breath as she stood.

“What did we do to drive him away? To make him feel like his home was a prison?” Marguerite asked and Julian let out a breath. “I don’t know Marguerite, I don’t know. I don’t think it was us, I think it was more me. He was upset with me, I was putting too much pressure and responsibilities on him, I wasn’t listening to him.” Julian said then stood and walked over to the window, “still he should have come to me, come to us and talked to us. Running away was not the solution,” Julian said and Marguerite looked at her husband. “When will the search begin?” She asked and Julian let out a breath, “Ulysses was taught well, he knows that I’ll send people looking for him. I’ll give him another month, the further away he gets from Ithaca the more he’ll relax and lax in keeping himself hidden.” Julian said, “where do you think he went?” Marguerite asked and Julian let out a breath as he turned and looked at his wife, “Macedonia or somewhere around that area. He and Virgil are drawn to big towns so maybe he went to Athens or Delphi to perhaps see the oracle there. I’m not entirely sure my love but all of those places will be checked even the smaller villages in case he decides to hide there.

We’ll search coast to coast, harbor to harbor, our son will be found and whether he likes it or not he will return to Ithaca. He is needed here,” Julian said and Marguerite looked at him. “If he is found and brought back home, you have to promise me that you won’t be too hard on him, that you’ll work with him.” She said and Julian nodded, “I give you my word my love,” he said and Marguerite nodded then hugged her husband. “Come lets gets some rest,” Julian said and they left Ulysses’ chambers, locking the door behind them and they headed to their rooms where they went to bed but they both couldn’t help but lay there and think about their son.

Amphipolis…

Ulysses and Virgil had been in Amphipolis for a month now and they were both really enjoying themselves. Especially Ulysses who got to spend more and more time with Xena everyday and the relationship they had, which was to basically get to know each other, was moving slowly and that was fine with Ulysses, he definitely didn’t want to rush anything for fear that he might mess this great thing up. Since the first dinner he had with Xena, they had been having dinner after that every night; Ulysses explored the area around Amphipolis and found that it did have some beautiful areas. There were a couple of times where he surprised Xena with picnics for lunch and they would go for a walk and talk until they got there, they had even progressed to holding hands but nothing went beyond a kiss on the cheek or a small caress here and there. Xena found herself having so much fun with Ulysses, he surprised her with picnics and going for walks and whatever they did they talked about any and everything. From the topic of fighting, to why the sky was blue. Sometimes they went for swims and went fishing which Xena really liked since she hadn’t been fishing in a while.

They even sparred a couple of times and went for runs together; she had never known anyone like him, it was like they were becoming the best of friends and she liked it. He even sometimes bought flowers or picked flowers for her, giving them to her with little notes or sweet candy. Toris and Lyceus had even come to trust and like Ulysses and Virgil and they found having them around was a really big help, especially when it came to the fields. It was one particular day that things began to slowly change and their relationship began to grow. It was a beautiful summer day, the sky was so clear and blue, there was a nice breeze and the birds were singing in harmony with the rustling of the trees. It was around lunch time and Ulysses had taken Xena on a picnic and they were sitting on a blanket under a tree that provided them with shade for the sunny yet very beautiful day. They had been talking as they ate and when they were finished they lay down on their sides leaning on their elbows, with their heads propped up by their hands as they talked to each other.

They lay there in silence for a while as their fingers played with each other; Ulysses looked at Xena who had her eyes closed letting the sun shine down on her and the wind blow over her. ‘Gods she is so beautiful, it’s like the perfect picture of a goddess’ Ulysses thought to himself. “Why are you staring at me?” Xena asked as she kept her eyes closed, “I can’t help it, I’m in awe of your beauty,” he said and she grinned as she opened her eyes and looked at him. He reached his hand out and caressed her cheek and she leaned into his touch which she had come to love. Ulysses looked into her eyes slowly feeling himself lean in and she looked into his eyes as well, “Xena can I kiss you?” He asked and she looked into his eyes, “yes,” she said and he looked at her then down at her beautiful, full, pink lips. Xena swallowed hard as Ulysses’ lips almost brushed against hers, “are you a good kisser?” She asked and he grinned, “you tell me,” he said then softly brushed his lips against hers. He added a little pressure until the kiss was a soft tasting of lips and then he ended it.

“How was that?” He asked and she nodded, “again,” she said and he grinned then leaned back in and kissed her. This kiss started off pretty much like the first but it slowly began to grow until it was a passionate tasting of lips and Xena was running her fingers through Ulysses’ hair. “You’re a great kisser,” Ulysses said in between kisses and Xena grinned as she ran her finger over his cheek, “so are you,” she said and as they lay there sharing soft, passionate tasting of lips, Xena began to experiment. She found herself sucking on Ulysses’ lips and enjoying it, she especially enjoyed his moans and how his hand grasped her back. However Ulysses wasn’t without having his effect on Xena, there were times when she moaned and whimpered from the kisses he gave her. They lay there for an hour kissing and didn’t even realize it until they were interrupted. “Hey,” Virgil said and they looked at him, “you guys are an hour late,” Virgil said and they looked at him. “No, really?” Ulysses asked and Virgil nodded, “Cyrene needs you at the Inn Xena and we need to get going Ulysses.”

Virgil said and they both nodded as they stood and gathered up their things, “I’ll walk you back to the Inn,” Ulysses said and Xena shook her head. “No you go a head to the fields, I’ll be fine,” she said and Ulysses nodded then leaned forward and kissed her softly. When the kiss ended they grinned at each other, “I’ll see you later,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded then watched as she walked away. He smiled and looked at Virgil who was grinning at him, “so I guess we’re staying,” Virgil said and Ulysses grinned. “You can leave if you want,” Ulysses said as they began walking and Virgil shook his head. “No I like it here to this place really has a calming effect on you. Plus who would keep an eye on you if I left, you’re always getting into trouble,” Virgil said, “yea with your help,” Ulysses said as he chuckled and Virgil smiled. “True,” Virgil said and Ulysses grinned at his friend then slapped him on the back.

When evening came Ulysses, Virgil, Toris and Lyceus came in from the fields and got cleaned up for dinner. All four of them sat at the table with Xena who sat next to Ulysses and they talked. “You know you have the softest lips,” Ulysses whispered in Xena’s ear and she grinned as she turned and looked at him. She looked into his eyes as she brought her hand up to his cheek, her thumb winding up running over his lips and she grinned as he placed a kiss on it. “Kiss me,” Ulysses said and she looked into his eyes then slowly leaned forward until their lips were touching. They shared the softest of kisses first and like earlier that day, they slowly began to develop. On lookers from the Inn as well as at the table, watched Xena and Ulysses, “guys,” Lyceus called snapping them out of their own little world and they looked at him. “Get a room,” Lyceus said with a grin and Xena grinned and blushed a little as she turned away from Ulysses who grinned. He was relaxed with his arm on the back of Xena’s chair as he picked up his glass of wine and took a small gulp.

Every since that day, whenever Xena and Ulysses were left alone they always winded up kissing. Cyrene left Xena in the kitchen to go and talk to someone in the dinning area. “Psst,” came from the door and Xena turned around and looked at Ulysses, “where’s your mother?” He asked and Xena pointed to the door then grinned as Ulysses walked into the kitchen and over to Xena. “You are so dangerous,” she said as she pointed a knife at him having been cutting vegetables and he grinned at her. “Are you going to stop me?” He asked as he stood in front of her and he was so close as he wrapped his arms around her and she grinned at him, “why would I?” She asked then moaned as Ulysses kissed her; she placed the knife on the counter then ran her hands up Ulysses’ arms where she held onto his upper arms loving the muscles there. “Mmmm,” she moaned as Ulysses tasted her lips and he moaned at their sweetness. They kissed for about two minutes and then Xena grabbed Ulysses’ cheek holding him as she pulled back. She looked into his eyes and grinned as she saw how much he wanted to kiss her and he grinned as he saw the same in her eyes.

Still holding him she leaned forward and kissed his lips softly then ran her tongue between them before she sucked on first the bottom one then the top one. Ulysses was beginning to breathe hard and Xena grinned as she kissed him passionately, both of them moaning. Five minutes later, Cyrene walked back into the kitchen to see Xena leaned back a little against the counter as she and Ulysses shared a passionate kiss. Cyrene cleared her throat and their kissing stopped and Xena turned and looked at her mother, “um…we were just,” Xena said and Cyrene raised an eyebrow at her daughter. “I was cutting vegetables,” Xena said and Cyrene nodded, “well I need those vegetables for the stew, which by the way you’re supposed to be cooking.” Cyrene said and Xena nodded then turned and looked at Ulysses, “we’ll finish later,” she said and he nodded then kissed her softly once more before he walked out of the back door. Xena turned back around and looked at her mother who was grinning, “is he a great kisser?”

She asked and Xena smiled, “the best,” Xena said and Cyrene smiled and nodded then went about the kitchen doing things. “Xena can I ask you a question?” Cyrene asked and Xena looked at her mother, “must be a serious question for you to ask me that, usually you just ask.” Xena said and Cyrene nodded, “are you finished with those vegetables?” Cyrene asked and Xena nodded, “yea,” she said. “Then come help me peel these potatoes,” Cyrene said and Xena nodded then walked over to the stove and added the vegetables she chopped up then walked over to the table and sat down and began peeping potatoes. “You and Ulysses are getting pretty serious,” Cyrene said and Xena looked at her, “yea I guess,” she said and Cyrene nodded. “Have you and he?” She asked and Xena looked at her trying to see what her mother was asking and when she realized what it was she shook her head. “No, I’m not ready for that yet,” Xena said and her mother nodded. “Which brings me to what I really want to ask you,” Cyrene said and Xena looked at her.

“Are you a virgin?” She asked and Xena let out a breath as she looked down at what she was doing, “yes and no,” Xena said and Cyrene looked at her. “Xena I know something happen between you and the last guy you were seeing. What was his name? Graven? Garn?” Cyrene asked, “Gavin,” Xena said then let out a breath. “His name was Gavin and I don’t want to talk about what happened between me and him. All you need to know is that he hurt me bad, mentally and physically and Athena helped fix the damage. What happened between he and I was a mistake, I just realized it too late. Athena saw the pain I was in and she helped me, she restored my maidenhood and told me to choose more wisely next time.” Xena said and Cyrene looked at her, “he didn’t rape you did he?” Cyrene asked and Xena shook her head, “no, but it felt like it. I gave him consent but…” Xena said then shook her head and let out a breath. “I’m just not ready for my relationship with Ulysses to become that physical, for me to mentally and physically give myself to him.”

Xena said and Cyrene nodded, “I understand but you should talk to him about it. Let him know how you’re feeling,” Cyrene said and Xena nodded. “I will,” Xena said and Cyrene nodded then looked at Xena who stood and went to stir the stew, “mom,” Xena called and Cyrene turned and looked at her daughter. “Thank you for not pushing me on the thing with Gavin, it’s…its still hard for me to talk about, it still hurts.” Xena said and Cyrene nodded, “but when you’re ready to talk Xena I’m here,” Cyrene said and Xena nodded. A couple of weeks passed and Xena and Ulysses were getting closer and closer, their kisses becoming more as they conveyed their feelings through them. It was a slow day at Inn so Cyrene went into town and did some shopping with Corrinna while Toris and Lyceus lounged around with Virgil keeping an eye on things. Xena and Ulysses were in Xena’s room laying on her bed stomach to stomach as they shared soft, passionate, unhurried kisses. Xena felt like she needed to tell Ulysses what was on her mind before he got the wrong idea so she ended a kiss and looked at him.

“What’s wrong?” He asked her as he looked into her eyes seeing that something was bothering her, “I’m not ready for sex yet,” Xena said and Ulysses blinked. “Whoa that came out of no where,” he said and Xena let out a breath as she sat up and Ulysses sat up and looked at her. “Xena I haven’t been pressuring you have I? Because that hasn’t been my intention if I have,” Ulysses said and Xena shook her head. “No, I just wanted to let you know that I’m not ready to make love yet and I don’t know when I will be.” Xena said and Ulysses nodded, “alright,” he said then looked into her eyes as he placed his hand on her cheek. “We’re in no rush, I’ll wait Xena, if need be I’ll wait forever,” he said and she looked into his eyes. “Really?” She asked with a small grin and Ulysses grinned and nodded, “yea you mean that much to me,” Ulysses said and Xena nodded then looked down. “I’m a virgin,” she said in a low voice and Ulysses looked at her then raised her chin as he looked into her eyes. “That’s all right,” he said then caressed her cheek, “when you’re ready you’ll let me know. I swear I won’t pressure you. To be honest, I’m not all that ready to make love yet either, things have been going so well between us and I don’t want to ruin it in any way like doing something we’re both not ready for.”

Ulysses said and Xena nodded, “thank you,” she said then hugged Ulysses and he hugged her back tightly. When the hug ended he lay down on his back and Xena lay in his arms with her head on his chest. “I feel so safe in your arms, safe, content, happy,” Xena said and Ulysses grinned. “I’m glad I can make you feel those things,” Ulysses said as he tightened his arms around Xena then placed a kiss on her forehead. Xena let out a breath and closed her eyes as she luxuriated in what she was feeling and before long she fell asleep. Ulysses grinned as he looked down at Xena then let out a breath as he pulled her closer then closed his own eyes and dosed off to sleep. Cyrene came back from the market she and Corrinna bringing bags into the house. “Where’s your sister?” Cyrene asked her youngest son and Lyceus hunched his shoulder as he picked up an apple, “try her room but you might want to knock first.”

Lyceus said and Cyrene looked at him; she walked down the stairs and went to Xena’s room where she knocked on the door. Xena moaned and pushed into Ulysses but didn’t wake up; Cyrene quietly opened the door and stuck her head in, what she saw made a smile come to her face. She closed the door and went back up to the kitchen, “they were so cute. Still fully dressed, they were asleep in each other’s arms,” Cyrene said and Corrinna grinned. It was an hour later when Xena woke up and she opened her eyes and looked around the room then up at Ulysses who was still asleep. She brought her hand up and caressed his cheek, her hand slowly coming down to his neck where she caressed his skin then leaned in and placed a kiss on his neck. ‘Just because you’re not ready for sex doesn’t mean you can’t try other things’ Xena thought to herself as she kissed on Ulysses’ neck ‘there’s nothing wrong with being curious’ she told herself. “Mmmm,” Ulysses moaned his arm tightening around Xena.

Xena found that she liked kissing on Ulysses’ neck, she even tried sucking and she liked that too. She ran her hand over Ulysses’ chest that wasn’t covered by his shirt. “What are you doing?” Ulysses asked as Xena began to unbutton his shirt, “well I’ve never seen you up close and personal,” Xena said and Ulysses looked at her as she sat up leaning on her elbow as she ran her hand over his chest, down to his six pack stomach. He rose up and placed a kiss on her neck that was calling to him and Xena closed her eyes as she felt Ulysses’ lips on her neck. A shiver ran through her body as he kissed right below her ear then sucked on it a little. “Ah…mmmm,” Xena moaned and Ulysses grinned. “You like that?” He whispered in her ear and Xena nodded then closed her eyes and tilted her head back. Ulysses took the invitation and lowered Xena down to the bed as he continued to kiss and suck on her neck. Xena moaned as she gripped Ulysses’ arms and when she let herself relaxed her, legs wrapped around Ulysses’ legs.

“Ulysses,” Xena moaned as her hands gripped at his shirt and Ulysses moaned as he pushed into Xena, her skin tasting so good to him. Xena ran her hands under Ulysses’ shirt and caressed his back and then her hands went down to his butt where she pulled him closer. Ulysses moaned then raised his head and looked at Xena before he leaned down and kissed her passionately. When the kiss ended they were both a little breathless, “we need to stop,” Ulysses said and Xena looked at him. “Why?” Xena asked and Ulysses looked at her then pushed himself into her until there was a look of surprise on her face, “you feel that?” He asked and she looked at him and nodded, “is that?” She asked and Ulysses nodded, “yea and I stand by what I said earlier. We need to stop before we both do something we’re gonna regret,” Ulysses said and Xena nodded. “Alright,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded the raised up off of Xena and she watched as he stood and fastened his shirt.

Xena ran her fingers through her hair then stood and straightened her own clothes but she felt weird about basically a situation she started. “Ulysses…I’m sorry,” she said and he turned and looked at her. “For what?” He asked and she looked at him then pointed to his lower half. “For leaving you in that condition,” she said and he grinned at her as he walked up to her. “Xena it’s alright I’ll be fine,” Ulysses said as he took Xena’s hands into his as he moved closer to her. “It’s just that I started the whole thing, I was just curious and…” Xena said then stopped as she looked at Ulysses. “That sounded stupid didn’t it? I was just curious,” Xena said then let out a breath. “Gods I’m so inexperienced,” Xena said as she sat down on her bed and Ulysses grinned as he walked over and sat down next to her. “Its fine Xena, I don’t care that you’re curious it’s a good way to learn.” Ulysses said and Xena looked at him, “I’m not totally inexperienced, I do know some things but when I’m around you I just can’t help myself.”

Xena said Ulysses grinned, “I’m the same way believe me, so to satisfy your curiosity, we can try whatever you want we just have to know when to stop.” Ulysses said and Xena looked at him, “you don’t care that I’m a virgin do you?” Xena asked and Ulysses shook his head. “No, that just makes you more special to me and when we do finally make love it’ll be a wonderful occasion.” Ulysses said and Xena nodded, “let’s go for a walk,” she said and Ulysses grinned and nodded. “Sure,” he said and they stood and left the room, greeted Cyrene and the others who were in the kitchen and they left right out the back door. Xena smiled as Ulysses took her hand and they began walking and talking. Xena and Ulysses had known each other for over two months now but for them it seemed longer than that. Their relationship was real open, with them talking about everything except where Ulysses was from and who was training Xena, both afraid of the other’s reaction so they kind of avoided the topic.

The people in the village could see that Ulysses and Xena were becoming serious and there were those who chose to make comments on their relationship. Most were people who were warning Ulysses about the type of woman Xena was, how many people she had slept with and it was this and that until Ulysses got tired of it. “Look, I don’t mean to be rude but you guys are really small minded in this town.” Ulysses said and the entire Inn went quiet since Ulysses was letting them all know he didn’t need or want their opinions. “So Xena isn’t like your normal village girl, I find that to be a relief. She’s exciting, intelligent and fun to be with, which you all would know if you would stop going around judging her because she doesn’t fit into your perfect little world. So do me the favor and stop giving me warnings and advice because I don’t need it and stop talking about Xena behind her back, she’s a wonderful woman, it’s just too bad that you can’t see that.” Ulysses said and he looked at all of them then walked out of the Inn and unbeknownst to him, Xena was standing by the kitchen door listening to all of what Ulysses said and her heart swelled with a feeling she didn’t know but she loved it.

Ulysses walked for a bit as he thought about things then after a while he came back to the Inn and went up to his room where he relaxed for a bit. Then there was a knock at Ulysses’ door, “yea,” he called and the door opened and it was Xena. “Can I come in?” She asked and he nodded, “of course,” he said as he sat up in the bed and Xena walked into the room closing the door behind her. “I um…I heard what you said at lunch,” Xena said and Ulysses lowered his head, “I’m sorry about that Xena, they were just constantly talking to me about you and I just got tired of it. Especially when I know half of the things they were saying about you weren’t true,” Ulysses said and Xena nodded then walked over to the bed. “No one’s ever really stood up for me before, besides my family and well…thank you. It really meant a lot to me,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded, “it was my pleasure to tell those idiots off,” Ulysses said and Xena grinned. “Xena there was something that one guy said that did stand out and you just tell me if it’s true or not and I’ll leave it alone.”

Ulysses said and Xena looked at him, “were you ever engaged to be married?” Ulysses asked and Xena let out a breath as she walked over to a window. “Yes,” Xena said then let out a breath, “his name was Maphias and he and I were to be married but he thought he could change me, change my ways and when he saw that he couldn’t, that I wasn’t going to change for him and be the woman he wanted, he broke off our engagement.” Xena said and Ulysses looked at her, “I’m sorry,” he said and Xena hunched her shoulder, “its fine,” she said and Ulysses shook his head. “No it’s not, you should never have to change who you are to please someone else, especially not someone who is supposed to love you,” Ulysses said as he got off the bed and walked over to Xena who looked at him. “That’s how it is here, after that, men weren’t interested in me or if they were it was just for sex. It’s been three years since all of that happened and the villagers still talk about me behind my back, there are a few who have gotten to know me but not many.”

Xena said, “that must hurt you a lot,” Ulysses said as he caressed Xena’s cheek and she leaned into his touch, “it used to but I just block it all out now. I know I’m meant for greater things and my training will help me do what I want and one day they’ll see. They’ll all see that I’m better than they are.” Xena said and Ulysses looked into her eyes then down at her arm where he ran his fingers under the leather band on her arm. “Whose ever training you you’re hiding their mark,” Ulysses said as he looked into Xena’s eyes and she nodded. “If they knew I would be more of an outcast,” Xena said and Ulysses looked into her eyes then began pulling the band down but she stopped him. “Let me know Xena, I won’t judge you,” he said and she looked into his eyes as she pulled the band up. “I can’t, not yet,” she said and Ulysses looked into her eyes and nodded then turned to walk away but Xena grabbed his hand. “Please don’t walk away,” she said and Ulysses looked at her, “it’s just… how can I expect you to be totally open with me, when I’m not totally open with you?

I know you want to know where I’m from, who I am and what I do but I’m afraid Xena.” Ulysses said and she walked up to him, “afraid of what?” She asked and he looked into her eyes, “that I’ll lose what I have with you. If you find out who I really am, I know you probably won’t mean to but you’ll judge me, you won’t look at me the same.” He said and she looked at him, “and I can’t lose you I…” he said and she looked at him. “What? Please tell me,” she said as she moved closer to him and he looked into her eyes, “I…I love you,” he said then let out a breath and tears came to Xena’s eyes as she moved closer to him placing her hands on the sides of his face. “I know you’re wondering how, since we’ve only known each other a little over two months, but I do, I love you Xena.” He said as he looked into her eyes and she grinned as she leaned her forehead against his, “I love you too. I didn’t know it until you defended me. When I heard what you said, my heart just filled with this emotion that was foreign to me and I had no idea what it was until now.”

She said then leaned in and they shared a soft passionate kiss and when the kiss ended they hugged each other and Ulysses closed his eyes. “You mean so much to me,” he whispered to her then placed a kiss on her cheek and Xena just held him tight. Ulysses surprised her as he picked her up in his strong arms and carried her over to the bed; he laid her down in it then got in behind her spooning her.  He scooted up close behind her wrapping his arms around her and she held his arms running her fingers over them.

Macedonian City…

“We should have started searching earlier,” a soldier complained and the one in charge looked at him. “This is what the king wanted Davis, so stop complaining. We are only one amongst the groups King Julian has sent out to look for Prince Ulysses and Lord Virgil, I’m sure we won’t be looking for long.” He said, “yea right Eomer, you haven’t hung around Ulysses that much but he and Virgil are a lot smarter than their parents give them credit for.” One of the soldiers said and Eomer looked at him, “it doesn’t matter, our orders are to find them and bring them back to Ithaca through any means necessary. So we’ll be looking for them until we find them or until we get word that they have been found, we don’t return to Ithaca unless we have them with us.” Eomer said as he looked around at the twenty men he was in charge of, it would only be a matter of time before Ulysses and Virgil were found.

Their father’s tapping into the many resources they had to find them, not to mention the king had half of the army out looking for Ulysses which Eomer thought wasn’t the smartest thing since they were having some problems with a neighboring kingdom, that looked like it could escalate to a war. Still he had his orders and he would find them, that was their mission. They had arrived in a Macedonian city, Eomer wasn’t even sure what the name of it was but it was a small village and they did a sweep of it, finding that Ulysses wasn’t there and there was no sign of him or Virgil so they would be heading to the next village. Eomer let out a breath as he looked at the map in his hands, since he was third in command with the army he was in charge of searching the Macedonian area and there were a lot of villages a lot of places where they could have went. “Let’s move out,” Eomer yelled figuring they had a lot of ground to cover so they might as well get started. They definitely had a lot of land to cover.

Amphipolis…

It was now three months since Xena and Ulysses had been together and their relationship was better than ever. Ulysses still fixed things around the Inn and helped out in the fields and Xena still helped her mother in the Inn when she wasn’t training with Athena. Whatever free time they had, they spent it together talking, walking and their favorite pass time, kissing. In fact Xena and Ulysses had found themselves a niche in the Inn. It was a corner away from prying eyes where they often stood and kissed each other. “Xena, Xena,” Toris called as he walked down the stairs where he turned his head and saw Xena and Ulysses lazily kissing and Toris rolled his eyes. “Xena,” he called and the kiss ended and she looked at her brother while Ulysses just placed soft kisses on her cheek, chin and jaw making his way down to her neck. “Yea,” Xena answered and Toris looked at her, “mother wants to know where you hid the honey,” Toris said and Xena grinned. “She used it on her lips,” Ulysses murmured and Xena smiled then kissed Ulysses.

“Xena come on, mom is trying to make those little pastries I like,” Toris whined and Xena let out a breath as the kiss ended. “I’ll be right back,” she told Ulysses who nodded and watched her go up the stairs followed by Toris. “Finally, what did you do hide the honey?” Cyrene asked her daughter as Xena walked into the kitchen and went over to one of the cabinets, “according to Ulysses she used it on her lips,” Toris said and Xena rolled her eyes at her brother then found the jar of honey and sat it down on the counter. “There,” she said then turned and headed back down the stairs, she went to their spot and looked at Ulysses who was stooped down. “Finished?” He asked and Xena grinned and nodded as she leaned against the wall then crooked her finger at him telling him to come here. “There shouldn’t be any more interruptions,” she said as she grabbed his shirt pulling him to her and he grinned as he placed his hands on the wall, “good,” he said then leaned in and kissed her softly.

“Mmmm,” Xena moaned as Ulysses tasted her lips and in return she tasted his and they taste so good. She pulled on his shirt pulling him closer as the kiss slowly deepened. Ulysses moaned as the kiss deepened and his hands ran over Xena’s back, his hand going under her shirt to caress her back. Xena moaned more from his touch than the kiss, “hold me tighter,” she said in a breathless voice when she ended the kiss and Ulysses only returned to their kissing. He pulled her closer and she moaned as she ran her hands up his arm and then becoming bold which Ulysses loved, Xena pushed him against the wall and took control of the kiss. She had no clue about how much that turned him on but she had a clue when he caressed her back and his nails ran over the flesh of her back, causing her to let out a loud moan as she pushed into him. When the kiss ended they looked into each other’s eyes as they tried to catch their breaths, “we should go for a walk,” Xena said and Ulysses looked at her, “you feel it too?”

He asked and she nodded, “yea but…” she started saying but Ulysses placed his finger against her lips, “I know,” he said then leaned in and kissed her softly. When the kiss ended Ulysses looked at Xena, “let’s go,” he said and she grinned as she walked up the stairs and he followed behind her. “Oh you came up for air?” Cyrene asked her daughter with a grin on her face and Xena grinned at her, “we’re going for a walk, we’ll see you guys later,” Xena said as she took Ulysses’ hand and he grinned at them then walked out of the back door with Xena. They walked a ways from the Inn still holding hands as they walked in silence for a bit, “Ulysses have you ever made love to a woman before?” Xena asked and he looked at her, “I’m not talking about sex, where there’s just release and maybe comfort after it. I’m talking about making love; slowly exploring each other’s bodies, taking your time, letting the feelings build up within until you’re exploding with love and pleasure.” Xena said and Ulysses looked at her, “well when you say it like that, no I haven’t.”

He said then let out a breath, “Xena I’ve been with my share of women and some of the sex was good, some was great but I’ve never experienced what you’re talking about.” He said and Xena nodded, “have you?” Ulysses asked and Xena grinned as she shook her head, “no, I guess I just imagined how it would be,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded. “Have you imagined how our first time would be?” Ulysses asked and Xena grinned, “I would be lying if I said I haven’t,” she said and Ulysses grinned and nodded. “So how was I in this fantasy?” He asked and Xena laughed as she looked at him, “you were great, you were the perfect gentleman in every way.” She said and Ulysses grinned as he looked into Xena’s eyes, “you know when that time comes I will be. I will be gentle with you Xena,” Ulysses said and Xena nodded. “I know,” she said and he stopped and looked at her, “do you? Because I sense from you that you’re afraid, afraid that I’ll hurt you mentally rather than physically.”

Ulysses said and Xena looked at him then looked away as she let out a breath then walked over to a tree and sat down under it. Ulysses walked over to Xena and sat down next to her, “I’m not that man Xena,” he said and she looked at him with surprise in her eyes. “I’m not that man who hurt you badly. You’re afraid to give me your heart, to totally let me into your heart and that’s because you’ve been hurt badly in the past. I’m not a saint Xena, I’ve done my own share of breaking hearts although I’ve tried not to. But I swear to you Xena, I love you and if you surrender your heart to me I will do right by it, by you. I promise you I won’t hurt you, I won’t break your heart, I love you too much,” he said and Xena looked into his eyes then looked down and tears came to her eyes as she thought about what happened to her but she fought them back. Ulysses looked at her and tried to give her some space but he couldn’t stand to see her in such pain, so he scooted closer to her putting his arm around her shoulder and pulling her close to him so that she was leaning against his chest.

“Shhh…it’ll be alright Xena I promise you,” he whispered to her then placed a kiss on her forehead. “You believe me?” He asked and she nodded as she wiped below her nose, “then please tell me what happened. Let me try to erase that hurt,” he said and she broke down a little more then looked into Ulysses’ eyes. “If Athena couldn’t erase this hurt what makes you think you can?” She asked and he looked into her eyes, “because I love you, now please tell me what happened.” He said and Xena let out a breath, “his name was Gavin and he was the first guy to be interested in me after Maphias and I was interested in him. He talked to me and we spent time together, he seemed to really like me for who I was. Two months passed and I thought I was in love with him. When we went for a walk, he said he had a surprise for me so he took me to this cabin he had paid the owner for so that we could have it for a couple of days. When I got there it was romantic, dinner was on the table and there was only candle light.”

Xena said then cleared her throat of emotion as she continued, “we had dinner, talked, drinked and laughed. Afterwards we lounged in front of the fire place and just kissed. He whispered to me that he wanted me and I thought since I was in love with him, and I had known him for a while, then it was okay to sleep with him. I was wrong, so wrong. I guess maybe he was moving too fast for me, it wasn’t like I had pictured it would be; before I knew it, my clothes were off and so were his and I was on the bed and he was on top of me. Still he rushed, he didn’t take the time to kiss my body, caress me or anything. I was young, I didn’t know better and thought this was how it was supposed to be so I laid there and let him do what he wanted.” Xena said then clenched her jaws as she thought about what happened, talking about this painful ordeal wasn’t easy but she knew Ulysses needed an explanation for her fear. “When he entered me, he was so rough, he just pushed through it and it hurt so much. I screamed out in pain and began pushing at him. I remember thinking, I wanted that horrible pain to stop, I wanted it all to stop, for him to leave me alone.”

Xena said then shook her head as she continued telling Ulysses what happened, “but he didn’t stop until he was finished and that horrible pain was still there. All I remember is rolling on my side away from him and curling up into a ball holding my stomach wishing the pain would go away. He tried to touch me, to comfort me, maybe he thought the pain and bleeding was apart of a woman losing her virginity, he hadn’t done anything wrong but I didn’t want him to touch me, I didn’t even want him near me. When the pain had eased up some, I went to take a shower and I remember sitting on the floor letting the water beat down on me as I cried, cried for something I wasn’t ready for and something I would never get back.” She said then let out a breath and looked at Ulysses who was caressing her hair and holding her hand and she just looked into his eyes. “I went home after that and stayed in my room for three days straight; Lyceus was the only one I’ve ever told what happened.

After that, I was never the same and I was sitting by the lake just thinking when Athena appeared before me. She told me she knew what happened and that she could help me. Of course I was suspicious,” Xena said and Ulysses grinned at her. “She told me she was only there to help me and I believed her, there was something about her that said she didn’t want to hurt me anymore than I already was hurting. She restored my maidenhood and mentally helped me work through it but what mostly helped was that I would be able to truly give myself to someone, when I truly felt in my heart it was the right thing to do. To know something so precious, as my virginity had been given back to me, that I had a second chance, well I wasn’t going to mess it up.” Xena said and Ulysses nodded as he caressed Xena’s back, sometimes gently massaging her shoulders, hoping it would bring her some comfort as well as relax her. “Thank you for sharing that part of yourself with me. I know it wasn’t easy,” he said and Xena nodded then looked down for a moment, “I just thought it was something you needed to know.

You needed to know why I’m afraid, why I’m not ready to make love yet. It has nothing to do with you but with me,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded. “I understand and when you’re ready Xena, let me know and I promise you, you and I making love will be all that we’ve both imagined.” He said and Xena smiled at him, “I love you,” she said and he grinned as he looked into her eyes then leaned in and kissed her softly but passionately. Xena moaned into the kiss as she brought her hand up to Ulysses’ arm and held it as they shared a passionate kiss. When the kiss ended, Ulysses leaned back against the tree and Xena lay against his chest and Ulysses held her as he placed a kiss on her forehead. A week passed and it was after lunch and Xena was cleaning up the dinning area of the Inn when she heard a horse’s loud, anxious, neighs outside. She walked over to the door and looked at the horse that was jumping up and down, as two stable hands tried to calm it. This was the most beautiful horse Xena had ever seen, she was a golden Palomino by the looks of it and Xena liked her spirit.

Xena sat the rag down on a table then walked out of the Inn and over to the horse, “be careful there miss, this horse is wild and untrained,” one of the guys said but Xena paid him no mind. She walked up to the horse and held her hands up, “whoa, whoa,” she said softly to the horse. “Take it easy girl, take it easy,” Xena whispered as the horse continued to jump all about. Ulysses was coming back to the Inn to get something when he saw Xena with the horse and he watched as she walked up to it without fear and the horse began to calm. “That’s it, that’s it,” she said in a calming voice, then looked into the horse’s eyes as she brought her hands up to its face. “Yea,” she said as she caressed her face and the horse neighed as it looked at her, “amazing,” a man said and Xena turned her head and looked at him. “Who are you?” Xena asked, “her owner. Well for the moment any way, I’m headed to Sparta to sell her, maybe they’ll have better luck training her.” The man said, “I’m Orion by the way,” he said as he held out his hand and Xena just turned her attention back to the horse.

“That’s quite a talent you have,” he said and Xena turned and looked at him, “you can’t sell her to the Spartans, they’re known for their cruelty to horses.” Xena said and Orion hunched his shoulders, “not my problem, they’ve offered to pay good money for her and she’s a pain.” Orion said and Xena let out a breath as she turned back and looked at the horse, “she’s not a pain, she’s just misunderstood. Isn’t that right girl?” She asked the horse as she continued to pat and stroke her and the horse nodded its head making Xena smile. “Well if you can afford to pay for her, she’s yours,” Orion said and Xena turned and looked at him. “How much?” She asked and he looked at her, “300 hundred dinars,” he said and Xena let out a breath. “I haven’t got half that,” she said. “Then I guess she’ll belong to the Spartans,” he said and Xena let out a breath as she looked back at the horse. “Unless we can work out some sort of deal,” Orion said as he ran his fingers through Xena’s hair and she pushed him away from her. “In your dreams,” she said then grabbed the rope they were using as a halter, “come on girl let’s get you something to eat.”

Xena said as she led the horse to the stable, Ulysses moving out of sight so that she didn’t see him. “Come on let’s get something to eat, I want to be out of this town before night fall.” Orion said to his men and they walked into the Inn and Ulysses looked at them, then at Xena, who was leading the horse into the stable and an idea came into his head. Ulysses waited about ten minutes then followed Xena into the stable, once inside he saw her standing in the stall with the horse giving her a good brush down while she munched on some hay. “I see you’ve made a new friend,” Ulysses said surprising Xena and she grinned as she looked at him then the horse. “Yea, isn’t she beautiful?” Xena asked as she walked to the front and brushed its mane and the horse pushed into her and Xena smiled as she rubbed its nose. “She likes you,” Ulysses said and Xena looked at him, “you think?” She asked and Ulysses nodded and watched as Xena took a carrot out of her pocket and fed it to the horse. “If I had the money, I would buy her but 300 hundred dinars is a lot,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded.

“Well I’m not going to keep you from you’re new friend, I just wanted to see what you were doing,” Ulysses said and Xena nodded. “The usual, boy I bet it would be a blast to ride her,” Xena said as she looked into the horse’s eyes and Ulysses grinned. “I bet it would,” he said then turned and left the stable his mind now made up about what he was going to do. Ulysses walked into the Inn and found the guy that owned the horse and he walked over to him, “what can I do for you?” Orion asked as he ate his food and Ulysses stooped down and looked at him, “I want to discuss buying a horse from you,” Ulysses said and Orion looked at him. “You want that horse the beautiful woman with the blue eyes was tending to,” Orion said and Ulysses nodded. “She’s your girl?” Orion asked and Ulysses grinned, “you could say that,” he said and Orion nodded, “sorry about earlier, I didn’t know she was taken.” Orion said and Ulysses waved him off, “if I would have thought you were a threat, I would have intervened but then again Xena can take care of herself.”

Ulysses said and Orion nodded as he grabbed his napkin and wiped his mouth, “I’m selling her to the Spartans for 400 hundred but I brought it down to three for her. You seem like an honest man so I’ll do the same for you,” Orion said and Ulysses nodded. “Deal, I’ll have your money at the end of the day but I want this to remain between just us.” Ulysses said and Orion nodded, “sure, fine, whatever, as long as I get my money.” He said and Ulysses nodded, “you’ll get your money,” he said then stood and walked back out of the Inn where he headed to the fields. Night was falling and Ulysses had made it back to the Inn with the others and he went straight up to his room where he counted out 300 hundred dinars and placed the money in a sack. Since it was a surprise for Xena, he went out the front way and met Orion at the stable, “you’ve got the money?” Orion asked and Ulysses handed it to him then looked at the horse which they had taken out of the stable. “Ithaca huh?” Orion asked and Ulysses looked at him, “what did you say your name was?”

Orion asked and Ulysses walked up to the horse, “I didn’t,” he said and Orion hunched his shoulders. “Well it was nice doing business with you,” Orion said. “Let’s go boys, it looks like we don’t have to make that long trip to Sparta,” he said and he men nodded in agreement. Ulysses watched them go then looked at the horse, “come on girl, let’s take you to your new owner. I know she’ll be happy to see you,” Ulysses said as he patted the horse’s nose and the horse neighed and surprisingly didn’t give Ulysses any trouble as he led it to the back of the Inn. “Where is Ulysses?” Xena asked as they sat in the kitchen at the table getting ready to eat, “don’t know, he came in with us and after that…” Virgil said then hunched his shoulders and Xena was about to say something when there was some neighing outside. “Is that a horse?” Cyrene asked and Xena stood and walked over to the door where she saw Ulysses standing in the yard with the horse. “What did you do?” Xena asked as she walked outside and everyone followed her and Ulysses grinned as he looked at the horse.

“I bought you this horse,” he said and Xena’s eyes opened in surprise as did everyone else’s, “you what?” She asked as she walked up to the horse who butted her and she grinned as she patted her. “I bought her for you; I could tell that you really liked her and you said if you had the money you would buy her. Well I had the money and I decided to buy her for you,” he said and Xena looked at him, “but Ulysses that was 300 hundred dinars,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded. “Yea and she better be worth every last one,” Ulysses said as he looked at the horse and Xena looked at him. “Why would you do something like this?” She asked and he looked into her eyes, “just to see you happy, to see you smile,” he said and she grinned then walked over to him and hugged him tightly. “Thank you, thank you, thank you,” she said and she laughed as Ulysses spun her around then placed her on her feet. “You’re welcome,” he said when they pulled back some and she looked into his eyes then leaned in and kissed him softly but passionately.

“I love you,” Xena said and Ulysses smiled, “I love you too,” he said and she grinned as she turned around and looked at the horse. “I can’t believe it, she’s mine,” Xena said as she walked over to the horse. “That’s wonderful dear, now get that animal out of my yard before it leaves a deposit,” Cyrene said and Xena grinned as she grabbed the rope and lead her back to the stable. “Well done Ulysses,” Virgil said as he slapped his friend on the back and Ulysses looked at him, “you think so?” Ulysses asked and Virgil grinned, “did you see how happy she was?” He asked and Ulysses grinned, “that’s why I did it,” he said and Virgil nodded. “You do know there’s a possibility that the money will lead them to us?” Virgil asked and Ulysses looked at his friend and nodded. “Yea but it was chance I was willing to take to see her happy, I love her,” Ulysses said and Virgil looked into his friends eyes. “You really do,” Virgil said and Ulysses nodded, “well all we can do is hope that they don’t find us but I think you and I know how highly unlikely that is.”

Virgil said and Ulysses nodded, “I know but I just want to be happy a while longer. We should have at least four more months before they find us. We took the back way; the front way has a lot more large towns and villages, they’ll have to search them first.” Ulysses said and Virgil grinned, “that’s why we came that way?” Virgil said and Ulysses grinned, “of course, come now Virgil I always had a plan,” Ulysses said as he put his arm around his friend and they walked into the Inn where they sat down at the table and ate dinner. The rest of Xena’s evening was spent fixing up a stall for the horse, giving her water and making sure she was fed and brushed down. She walked out and closed the gate to the stall and looked at the mare who looked back at her. “What shout I call you?” Xena asked the horse as she reached out and rubbed its neck and Xena stood there and thought about a name. “How about Argo? You like that?” She asked and Argo neighed as she bobbed her head up and down in approval.

“Argo it is then,” she said then patted the horse for a while longer, “I’ll see you in the morning Argo,” Xena said then turned and walked out of the stable closing the door behind her. She walked into the kitchen, where she sat down and ate her cold dinner. “That was a very nice thing Ulysses did,” Cyrene said and Xena grinned and nodded, “yes it was. Can you believe it? He did it just to see me happy,” Xena said and Cyrene nodded as she wiped a glass then put it away. “He cares a lot about you,” she said and Xena looked at her mother. “He loves me momma,” she said and Cyrene looked at her daughter, “how do you know that Xena?” She asked as she walked over to the table and sat down, “he’s told me so but it’s not only that. I see it in his eyes, especially when he looks at me, I feel it in his touch, hear it in his words and I definitely feel it in his kiss.” She said and Cyrene nodded, “and do you love him?” She asked her daughter and Xena looked at her mother, “I do,” she said then chuckled. “I know it’s crazy, we’ve only known each other for three months but I love him mom, I love him,” Xena said and Cyrene looked into her daughter’s eyes and saw there that she was indeed in love with Ulysses.

“I see,” she said and Xena grinned then looked down as she continued eating, “Xena I want to tell you something,” Cyrene said and Xena looked at her. “Tell me what?” Xena asked and Cyrene let out a breath, “it’s about me and Corrinna,” Cyrene said and Xena looked at her. “We’re together, we’re a couple,” Cyrene said and Xena looked at her as if she hadn’t told her anything she hadn’t already known. “So what’s new?” Xena asked and Cyrene looked at her daughter, “I…you knew?” She asked and Xena grinned, “been knew and I’m fine with it.” Xena said and Cyrene looked at her daughter and nodded. “Okay,” she said then sat there and let that sink in, “do your brothers know?” Cyrene asked and Xena looked at her mother and raised an eyebrow, “you and Corrinna could be standing in the kitchen kissing and they wouldn’t know.” Xena said and Cyrene nodded then let out a breath. “I’ll tell them later,” she said and Xena hunched her shoulders, “I don’t think they would care. The town on the other hand,” Xena said and Cyrene nodded.

“I know,” she said then stood and went back over to the counter where she continued to dry dishes, “where do you think he got the money from, to buy that horse?” Cyrene asked and Xena hunched her shoulders. “I don’t know; he told me that back where he’s from his father was a powerful man so I’m guessing they had money.” Xena said and Cyrene nodded, “I wonder why he’s hiding where’s he’s from,” Cyrene said and Xena stood with her empty plate in her hand bringing it over to the sink. “He’s afraid that if he tells us who he is and where he’s from, we’ll see him differently.” Xena said and Cyrene thought about that and she and Xena cleaned up the kitchen. When the Inn was closed and everything was locked up Cyrene went to bed but Xena went up to Ulysses’ room. She knocked on the door and it took him a minute to answer it; when he opened the door he was wearing his pajama pants and no shirt.

“Hey,” Xena said and Ulysses looked at her, “hey,” he said, “can I come in?” She asked and he nodded as he opened the door and Xena walked in and he closed the door behind her. “Is something wrong?” He asked as he walked up to her and she turned and looked at him, “no, everything’s perfect,” she said as she moved closer to him running her hands over his chest. “I wanted to thank you for Argo,” Xena said and he looked at her, “who?” He asked, “the horse,” Xena said and Ulysses grinned and nodded, “so you’ve named her.” Ulysses said and Xena grinned and nodded then leaned in and kissed Ulysses softly but passionately, and slowly the kiss began to deepen. Ulysses moaned as Xena wrapped her arms around his shoulders and he wrapped his arms around her pulling her closer. They stood there and kissed for a while and then Xena started walking backwards towards the bed pulling Ulysses with her, the kiss never ending. She laid down on the bed and held her hand out to Ulysses, who looked into her eyes as he took it, then got into the bed placing his body over hers.

He leaned down and kissed her passionately but the kiss was slow and exploring and when it ended they were both a little breathless as they looked into each other’s eyes. “This isn’t why I got you the horse, not for you to thank me this way,” he said and Xena nodded. “I know but I want this,” she said then sat up some and looked into Ulysses’ eyes as she grabbed her shirt and pulled it over her head. She held it to her chest and Ulysses looked into her eyes as he leaned in and kissed her, his hand holding the side of her neck as he tasted her lips. Xena moaned as she ran her free hand through Ulysses’ hair and he slowly lowered her down to the bed, taking her hand that was holding the shirt to her chest away and Xena dropped the shirt to the floor. She ran her hand up Ulysses’ arm as her breasts pressed into his chest and they moaned, both from the feeling. Ulysses took his time as not to scare Xena and they just lay there for a while kissing and sharing soft caresses.

Ulysses lay between Xena’s legs which were raised, bent at the knee and when the kiss ended he started kissing and sucking on her neck. As he did so his hand caressed her foot taking the sandal off and he slowly ran his hand up her leg to her thigh, where he pushed her dress up. Xena’s breathing began to pick up especially when she felt Ulysses’ hand on her thigh caressing her and his kisses began to move down. She opened her eyes and looked up at the ceiling and all of a sudden she felt like she couldn’t breathe, she was scared. “Stop,” she said and Ulysses raised his head and looked at her, “are you okay?” He asked and she shook her head as she pushed at his arms wanting him off of her, feeling like she was suffocating, so he rose up off of her and she quickly sat up. Ulysses could see she was breathing hard and he got off of the bed and poured her a glass of water while she grabbed her shirt from the floor and put it on. He walked over to her and sat down on the bed, “take a couple of deep breaths,” he told her and she nodded as she did what he said.

When her breathing calmed, he handed her the glass of water and she took a deep gulp of the water, “are you alright?” He asked her as he caressed her hair and she shook her head. “I’m sorry, I don’t know what happened,” she said and Ulysses looked at her, “it’s alright,” he said as he placed a lock of hair behind her ear then caressed her cheek. “I should go,” she said as she stood placing the cup on the night stand and she walked over to the door. “Xena,” Ulysses said as he stood and grabbed her hand, she turned and looked at him and he could see the tears in her eyes. “Come here,” he said as he pulled her to him and he hugged her tight. “Hold on to me as tight as you want, I’m not going anywhere,” he said and Xena leaned her head into his shoulder as she shed a few tears for the pain she was feeling and the comfort he was giving her. She held onto him tightly and just let him hold her; after a few minutes she turned her head to the side and let out a breath. “I’m afraid for you to make love to me and I don’t know why,” she said.

“Shh…it’s alright, it’s going to be all right,” he said as he caressed her hair then after a few minutes he pulled back and placed a kiss on her forehead then looked at her as he held her face his fingers wiping away the traces of her tears. “Maybe you’re not as ready as you think you are,” Ulysses said and Xena looked at him. “Maybe but you’ve got to be tired of waiting, I know I am,” she said and Ulysses grinned at her. “I told you once Xena and I’ll tell you again, I’ll wait, I’ll forever. And you may be tired of waiting but your heart may not be at that place where your mind is or vise versa.” Ulysses said and she looked at him, “how can that be when I know I love you, I know it, I feel it,” she said and Ulysses grinned. “That may be but your heart may need more time, Xena unconsciously you’re throwing up walls around your heart because you were hurt badly before and you’re afraid that’ll happen again. It’s understandable but until you can stop throwing up those walls until you can lower them for me you can never truly know the love you say you have for me.

Your heart doesn’t know that love because you’re afraid to let it know it so your heart is telling you you’re not ready for us to make love because we aren’t in love.” Ulysses said as he caressed Xena’s cheek and he looked into his eyes and she looked into his. “Can you lower those walls for me Xena?” Ulysses asked and Xena looked into his eye, “I want to, I do,” she said and Ulysses grinned. “It’s alright when it comes to matters of the heart it takes time and as I said before I’m willing to wait.” Ulysses said and Xena looked at him, “I should go,” she said and Ulysses nodded then leaned in and placed a kiss on her forehead. “Are you sure you’re alright?”

He asked her and she grinned and nodded, “I’ll see you in the morning,” Xena said then turned and left the room closing the door behind her. Xena rushed down to her room closing the door behind her; she sat down on the bed and thought about what Ulysses said then started crying. Her hands gripped the sides of the bed as she leaned forward and turned her head to the side as tears ran down her face for the fear she felt. After a couple of minutes she pulled herself together and got ready for bed then laid down and stared at the wall as she thought about what Ulysses told her.

Continued in

Chapter Four: The First Fight

Return to the Academy