Persistence

by Alex Tryst


Disclaimers/Warnings: These characters are all mine. This is a story about women trying to find their places in the world and does include sexual scenarios between consenting adult women. Some violence is involved, including one (although not graphic) sexual assault. Additionally there is some derogatory, homophobic language used. If this kind of stuff offends you or is illegal where you live, it's best to turn around now. I feel compelled to mention here that the name of one of the main characters was borrowed from the book Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. For those of you who have read this classic novel, I think you will find my young maiden aptly named. If you'd like to drop me a line concerning the story, you can e-mail me at alextryst@hotmail.com. Please know that I am a sensitive soul and harsh criticism will immediately be deleted. However constructive comments are welcome.

Dedication: To my wife, you are my fondest wish.

Now on with the show.......

Feedback: alextryst@hotmail.com


Part 1

Thirty seven year old sheriff, Drew Bailey, parked her truck in her dirt driveway, having come home from the local grocery store. Looking towards the barn, she saw the familiar vehicles of the horse boarders parked along the fence. Thus far it was a typical Saturday morning.

Hearing a car coming up her drive, she turned to see a beat up, yellow Volkswagen Beetle slowing to a stop behind her truck. The passenger side window rolled down as Drew approached wearing a large smile.

Bending to look into the car, Drew greeted the two women. "Morning, Lola, Kate. Kate, I'm surprised to see you here."

"Oh, my car's in the shop, so I have to use Lola's while she rides. You want a hand with your things?" she inquired.

"Yeah, that'd be great. Gives us a chance to catch up on things while the little one rides." Drew stated, playfully jibing Lola.

"Watch who you call little, old lady." Lola bantered.

"Lola, I can't believe you. Take that back." her mother Kate demanded.

"Oh, don't fuss, Katherine. I'd be the first to admit it's true. In the eyes of any seventeen year old, I'd be over the hill already." As Kate got out of the car, Drew smiled at Lola. "Try to stay out of trouble, young lady."

Mockingly, Lola saluted. "Yes, ma'am, Sheriff Bailey." she answered tearing off down the hill in her car.

"She's gotten a mouth on her, Drew. Ever since her father died, she's been so disrespectful with adults. I get complaints from her teachers all the time."

"You want me to talk to her? Maybe all she needs is someone other than her mother to talk to."

"You don't mind?"

"Of course not. You know I'd do anything for your girls. By the way, how's Natalie?"

"Fine. She's adjusting well to college, better than I thought she would."

"Glad to hear it. How are you doing? I haven't seen you much since the funeral. I'm sorry about that. I should be doing a better job as a friend."

"You are being a friend, Drew. You're helping bring Paul's killer to justice. Under the circumstances, that's just about the best thing you could do." Kate whispered wiping a tear from the corner of her eye.

Drew embraced her. "It's all right, Kate. Everything's going to be okay."

Kate recovered quickly enough to help with the groceries before they sat at the kitchen table with coffee to discuss other things. After an hour Kate mentioned that she had to get going, so Drew walked her to Lola's car down at the barn.

"Listen, why don't you and Lola have lunch with me when you come back? I'll even make those cheeseburgers she loves so much."

"All right. You want a ride back to the house?"

Drew shook her head. "I'm going to hang around here for while. See you later."

Going into the barn, Drew began talking with some of the boarders before stopping into the office to check on the two person staff. Much to her surprise she found the younger one, Steve, talking with Lola alone. They didn't notice her at first, but she definitely noticed the way Steve kept touching Lola at every possible moment. However, she grew concerned that Lola seemed uncomfortable. "Hey y'all." Drew said getting their attention.

Steve jumped at her voice. "Drew, what are you doing down here?" Lola asked immediately moving closer to her.

"Wanted to talk to you. Do you have a minute?"

Walking side by side towards the stall where her horse was kept, Lola inquired, "What's up?"

"Something going on between you and Steve?"

"No. He's cute, but something about him gives me the creeps. I don't know what it is, maybe nothing. I just don't feel comfortable alone with him. Anyway, you didn't come down here to ask me that."

"Well, I was wondering if you weren't busy after riding if you'd like to join your mother and me for lunch?"

"Are you going to make those cheeseburgers? You know how much I love those."

"If you'd like."

"Then I'll definitely be there."

"Good. Listen, I was talking with your mom, and she mentioned that you were having problems in school. You want to talk about it?"

Lola shrugged. "School sucks this year. I thought senior year was supposed to be the most fun."

"Is cheerleading bad?"

"No. It's all right. The squad's pretty good."

"How are your grades?"

"Usual."

"Then what seems to be the problem?"

"Homecoming. I was nominated for queen."

"Well, that's great news, isn't it? You're mom will be thrilled."

"It's just that the court gets escorted by their fathers." she mumbled.

"Oh, I see." Drew replied pulling Lola into her with one arm. "That's got to be hard for you, but maybe we can think of a solution. Is there someone else you'd like to take?"

"There's only one person other than my father that I would want to take, but I can't."

"Who? Why can't you take them?"

Lola looked up at Drew with her hazel eyes. "Drew, my father was never around much when I was younger. You know that. It seemed like you and mom raised Natalie and me. The older I got the more I realized he cared more about his job than us."

"Lola, your father loved you. He just wanted to see that you were taken care of financially. He was a good man."

"Drew, when I needed someone, you've always been there for me."

"Lola, I love you dearly. You know that."

"Well, I was wondering if you would help me now. I want you to be my escort to the Homecoming game." Lola proposed hopefully.

"Me? What about your mother? If you're going to have a female escort, don't you think your mother would be more appropriate?" Drew inquired suddenly feeling uneasy with the request.

"Drew, the whole town knows the situation with my dad. They also know you're one of my parents' best friends. You're a sports hero at the school. Everywhere you turn, your name is on a plaque somewhere. Please, Drew. It's not that big of a deal."

"How's your mom feel about this idea?"

Lola looked at the floor, kicking at the dirt with the edge of her riding boot. "I haven't told her yet."

"Okay, I'll tell you what. Let me talk to her about it. I just don't want to do this if it's going to hurt your mom's feelings. I really think she should be the one to escort you, but if you really don't want her to, I will. Just let me make sure she's okay with it first?" Drew asked. Lola nodded her agreement. Quickly kissing her forehead, Drew pulled away saying, "I've got to get started on some chores. Come up to the house when you're finished, and we'll talk some more."

Kate returned a couple of hours later, before Lola came up from the stable. As soon as she walked into the kitchen and saw Drew, she asked, "Something wrong? You look preoccupied."

"I spoke to Lola after you left. Did you know she was nominated for Homecoming queen?"

"No, she didn't tell me. Oh God, who's going to be her escort? With Paul gone I guess maybe I should."

"Well, that's what I suggested, but she had other ideas."

"What do you mean? Who does she have in mind?" Kate asked beginning to wash the lettuce sitting on the counter.

"Me." Drew flatly answered.

"You? Why?" Kate inquired with confusion.

Drew shrugged. "I don't know, but I'm not exactly comfortable with it. I wouldn't want her to suffer consequences because of me. She deserves to be queen, but if people find out I'm her escort, they might not vote for her."

"Drew, listen. Lola knows nothing about you being a lesbian. What makes you think her peers would know?"

"Because we went to school with their parents, Kate. They know, or have you forgotten your senior year when we met?"

"I could never forget that. People did horrible things to you, Drew, and they said horrible things to me for being your friend."

"Exactly. I don't want that to happen to Lola, and I don't want it to look like I've replaced Paul in your life. You know rumors will start about us again. I wouldn't want that for her."

"So what do we do? Do you want to tell her the truth about you?"

"She looks up to me, Kate. If I do this for her, she's got to know the truth first. She needs to decided for herself how she feels about this issue. She's old enough."

"Fine. Tell her. You're right. She is old enough to decide this on her own."

"I'd rather do it alone, though. Maybe I'll take her out if she's free this afternoon."

Over lunch no one spoke of Homecoming, but as the meal came to a close Drew invited Lola to go shopping in the city, knowing the teenager couldn't resist. That afternoon Drew and Lola enjoyed each others company, while trying to improve Drew's wardrobe. Then they went to dinner and a movie before heading home. On the ride back, Drew contemplated how to approach the Homecoming subject with Lola.

"You're being unusually quiet." Lola mentioned changing the radio station.

"Yeah, just thinking about Homecoming."

"Did you talk to Mom?" Drew gave a small nod. "Is there a problem?"

"Not exactly. Look, Lola, we need to talk about this seriously. You may not think this is a big deal, but it really is."

"I don't see why."

"I know, sweetheart. Your mother and I have talked about it and decided that I need to tell you something important that might affect how you feel about me." Lola's face showed confusion. "Lola, your mother and I have been friends for a long time, and I've known you all your life, but there's still something you don't know about me."

"Well, what is it? It can't be bad."

"No, it's not bad, Lola. God, this is harder than I expected. Okay. I'll just start at the beginning. Your mom was a senior in high school when I moved here. I was a sophomore, and we became friends. Well, I was a total jock and wore my dad's old clothes. Some kids, who are now parents of your peers, got the idea that I was a lesbian. Rumors flew about your mother and me, and I think she ended up losing the election for Homecoming queen herself because of her friendship with me. To make a long story short, I was verbally and physically assaulted on numerous occasions by my peers. It's ironic that I am now the sheriff of this town, and they pretend to look up to me, but I know under it all, your mom is one of my only true friends."

"What's this have to do with me?"

"Well, the kids that did this to me are now parents of the kids at your school. I wouldn't want them to be mean to you because of me. You see, I am gay, but I've always tried to keep that as far out of light as possible. I just don't want them to hurt you, because of what I am. Your mother's always known, and we've decided that you were old enough to know as well. If you want to rethink Homecoming, I understand. I personally think you should. We just don't want you to get hurt."

"You're gay, Drew?" Lola asked as they came to a stop in front of her house. Drew nodded. "Why didn't you ever tell me before? I thought we were friends."

"We are friends, Lola. That's why I'm telling you now. You need to know now. You didn't before." explained Drew.

Shaking her head angrily, Lola stated, "I wish one of you had told me! I feel like I don't even know you! For seventeen years you've kept this from me!"

"You were just a child. You're still young, but you're old enough to know this. Maybe you just need some adjustment time. Think about Homecoming some more. I think you should take your mother instead."

"I can't believe this." Lola mumbled opening the passenger's door.

Drew touched her arm, but she shrugged out of it. "Lola, I'm sorry if you're upset."

"I feel betrayed, Drew, by you and Mom!" she yelled slamming the door. Drew just watched her scurry inside instead of going after her.

Chapter 2

The following Saturday night Drew was sitting on her porch watching the setting sun. Looking toward the stable, she saw Lola's yellow Beetle. They hadn't spoken since the previous weekend. Checking her watch, she noted that Lola didn't normally stay that late. Seeing her car and Steve's truck were the only vehicles, she thought about Lola's comment from last Saturday.

An overwhelming urge struck her to check on them, so she set her beer on the table before heading down the hill. Opening the barn door, it was quiet, too quiet for her comfort, so she called their names, heading toward the office. When she was within a few feet of the door, she heard a muffled sob. Yanking the door open, she felt her stomach turn.

There on the ground were Lola and Steve physically struggling, Steve winning being so much larger. Angrily Drew grabbed a wooden chair next to her. "Hey asshole!" she screamed breaking the chair over Steve's head. He landed with an unconscious thud onto Lola's body. Dragging him off Lola, she checked his vitals. "Lola, call 911 for me. Tell them we need the police and an ambulance."

While Lola was on the phone, Drew went to the barn to find some rope in order to tie Steve up until authorities arrived on the scene. Having restrained him Drew turned her attentions to Lola. "Let me look at you. Are you hurt?" she asked raising Lola's face. "Oh God. Look at you. Let me get you some ice for the swelling. You just sit down."

Drew quickly went to the freezer in the stable to grab an icepack. Coming back she knelt in front of Lola. Holding the ice to Lola's cheek with one had, Drew gently brush back Lola's long, golden hair with the other. "You're safe now." Drew whispered kissing her tears away.

When police arrived Steve was still unconscious. "Sheriff Bailey, do you have any idea of the situation?" they questioned. Drew gave them all her information before they questioned Lola, who gave the same account.

Once they were alone, it was past dark. "Sweetheart, do you want me to take you to the hospital?"

Lola shook her head. "No. I'll be fine. It's just bruising. He hit me pretty hard, but I'll be fine."

"Why don't we go up to the house so I can call your mom?"

"No. Don't call her just yet. I don't want her coming over here."

"But she'd want to know something happened to you."

"Please, Drew." Lola pleaded.

"All right. I won't call her just yet. Let's go up to the house. I'll fix you some dinner."

Quietly they had supper before sitting down to a movie. Half way into it, Lola stretched out on the couch placing her head in Drew's lap. Absentmindedly, Drew began to play with her hair for a few minutes before Lola turned onto her back. Their gaze met. Drew was transfixed by Lola's eyes. They were filled with an emotion Drew had never seen on her face before. "You all right?" she asked, her hand stroking Lola's good cheek. Lola didn't answer, but brought Drew's hand to her lips, kissing it softly. "What's that for?"

"Just a thank you." Lola huskily replied turning her attention back to the tv.

Drew was taken back by Lola's tone, but dismissing it, she turned to the movie as well. Around 11:00 that night, Drew asked, "Don't you think you should call your mom? She's probably worried sick about you. I just want her to know you're safe." Reluctantly Lola rolled off the couch to call her mom. After a half hour conversation, Drew spoke to her.

"Are you sure it's okay if Lola stays with you tonight? I mean I'll come over and get her if she's in your way."

"It's fine. Lola's always welcome here. You know that. We'll talk to you tomorrow." Drew replied covering for the fact that Lola had invited herself to stay. Going back to the living room, Drew sat back next to Lola on the couch. "Well, I hope you really are planning on staying here since that's what you told your mother."

"Oh, Drew. I'm sorry. I just don't want to go home where she'd keep vigil over me."

"It's fine. You can stay here whenever you want."

"Great. Let's finish movie. I'm starting to get tired."

Once the movie was over, Drew locked up the house for the night, before escorting Lola upstairs. Sometime during the night, Drew awoke abruptly to screaming. Running into Lola's room, she found her in the throes of a nightmare. Kneeling next to the bed, Drew gently tried to wake her. When she had succeeded, Lola clung to her.

"You're okay, honey. It was just a nightmare." Drew assured her.

"It felt so real."

"I know, but it was just a dream. Go back to sleep now."

"Don't leave me, please. Hold me until I fall asleep, Drew."

Complying with the request, Drew slipped under the covers next to Lola, who immediately wrapped her body around Drew's. Drew's breath caught in her throat. Lola had never acted this way before, and it concerned her.

Drew awoke early the following morning feeling a body snuggling closer to hers. Looking over Drew saw Lola still sleeping, her blonde hair strewn wildly like a halo around her head. The bruises Steve had inflicted were already fading.

Gazing at her Drew thought back to Kate at that age. She and Lola had an amazing resemblance. Drew remembered how painful it was to realize that she was in love with Kate her sophomore year of high school, but she had always kept it to herself. Even to the present day, she had never spoken of her first love to anyone. Eventually her heart moved on, but she always held Kate in her memories as her first beloved. "Sweet angel." she whispered kissing Lola's temple before rising from bed.

A couple of hours later she heard Lola coming down the stairs. "Morning, sleepy." Drew greeted still buried in the paper. Lola plopped down in a kitchen chair next to Drew. Propping her head on her hands that were folded on the table, she stared at Drew.

Briefly peeking over the top of the paper, Drew mentioned, "You look so much like your mother right now."

"Drew, may I ask you a question? Last week you mentioned that there were rumors about Mom and you being together. Were they true?"

Drew laughed off her unease. "If they were true, then they wouldn't be rumors, would they?" she replied.

"Did you want to? You know, be with my mother?"

Drew lowered her paper looking at Lola seriously. "Lola, your mother and I have been friends for over twenty years, just friends. That's all we've ever been. I'll say this. You're mom was very attractive, still is, but I never would've ruined our friendship by trying to change the dynamics of our relationship."

"Have you dated a lot? I mean I would've thought I would've seen you with women."

"Not in a few years."

"Must get lonely." Lola mentioned.

"Enough about me. Tell me. Are you interested in anyone? You haven't spoken of anyone in awhile now."

"There's no one. I guess I'm just in a dry spell."

"Come on. A beautiful girl like you doesn't have a dry spell."

Lola blushed. "You think I'm beautiful?" she asked shyly.

"Of course you are. You're the daughter of Katherine and Paul Emerson. You couldn't be anything but beautiful. Your whole family is."

Lola nodded in agreement. "Drew, I've changed my mind about Homecoming. You're right. I should take my mom."

"Good. I think that's a wise choice."

"I want you to come, though."

"I wouldn't miss you being crowned queen for the world, Lola."

"If I am."

"You will be. I know it. You're beautiful, intelligent, caring, popular. Everything is in your favor."

"Thanks for the confidence, even though it is biased."

A little later Lola decided to go, leaving Drew to her paper. Slipping into Drew's lap, Lola kissed Drew on the cheek. "Thanks for everything, you know coming to my rescue, being my knight in shining armor, and all. I love you."

"Love you too. Have a good day." As soon as she was gone, Drew touched her cheek, feeling the kiss lingering on her skin. Lola was acting strange, and it puzzled her. Calling Kate, Drew relayed her concern.

"Well, you know, Drew, she's always looked up to you."

"I know, but I'm telling you this is different. She's clinging to me more than usual. Just observe her for a few days. If she continues to do it with others, you might want to talk to her. This might be in reaction to the incident."

"All right. I'll keep an eye out for her. By the way, do you want to go out tonight? I'm sure Lola will be out with her friends, and I don't feel much like being alone."

"Sure. Sounds good. I'll pick you up."

That evening Drew arrived at their house around 7:00. When Kate answered the door, Drew presented her a bouquet of tiger lilies with a smile.

""Oh, Drew, my favorite." she said. "Thank you." Kate pulled her into a hug.

"I figured you could use a little sunshine. Just seeing you smile is worth it."

Blushing Kate replied, "You always did know how to make me feel special, Drew."

Just then Lola walked into the living room. Instantly spotting the flowers, she gave Drew a skeptical glare. "Oh to be so lucky to get flowers from you, Drew. Maybe one day, I'll be the lucky one." Lola and Drew shared a silent stare. "Don't wait up." Lola instructed pinching Drew on the arm before waltzing out the door.

"See what I mean?" Drew asked.

"What do you think she meant by her comment?"

"I think your daughter is under the impression that you and I..."

"But we aren't, never were."

"That's what I told her, but it's obvious she has other thoughts."

"I can't let her go around thinking that."

"Why not? What would it really change for her to think that?"

Kate shrugged. "I just don't want her to think I loved her father any less. If she's under the impression that we have a history, she might think that I didn't love Paul."

"Listen, Kate. Lola knows you love Paul with everything that you are. Hey, I just had a great idea. Why don't we get a case of beer and get wasted just like we did in high school?" Drew suggested with enthusiasm.

"Don't you think we're a little old for that?"

"Come on. It'll be fun. We'll get drunk and stay up all night telling our darkest secrets."

Kate laughed. "Oh all right, but if I have a hangover tomorrow, I'm going to hurt you."

After dinner that night, they went back to Kate's with two six packs of beer. Grabbing an old blanket, Kate escorted Drew to the back field. They reclined quietly looking at the stars and drinking. Most of the conversation centered around the girls, but the more they drank, the more nostalgic they became. As the night became cooler, Kate wrapped her body around Drew's as they laid on the ground.

"Drew, do you remember the night before I left for college?"

"How could I forget? It was a night just like this."

"Yeah, it was. You had just turned sixteen, and I was nineteen. We were doing the exact same thing too. Who would've thought that twenty one years later, we'd still be lying here next to each other?"

"Pretty amazing, isn't it?" Drew commented.

Propping up on her elbow, Kate looked down into Drew's dark eyes. "Drew, if I tell you something about that night, will you promise not to be upset or embarrassed?"

"Kate, it was twenty one years ago. I'm sure it'll be all right."

"That night when I laid next to you and wrapped my arm around you, I felt your heart jump. It began to race out of control." Drew put a hand over her face and groaned. "You wanted me, didn't you?" Drew delayed in her answer. "Please, Drew. It's important to me. Tell me the truth."

Breathing deeply Drew mumbled, "Yes, Katherine, I did. I didn't think you ever realized it."

"That's when I finally did. You know, I had enjoyed your company regardless of the rumors, but that night something happened. I don't know if I was just drunkenly curious, but I began to wonder what it would be like to be with you."

"Why are you telling me this now?"

"Because I guess I just wanted you to know that I shared your love. I think I wanted you just as badly as you wanted me. It actually pained me the first time we embraced, and I didn't feel your heart pounding against my chest, but we both grew up I guess. I found Paul, and the rest is history."

"Why did you wait this long to tell me?"

"For the same reason you did. I was scared of losing your friendship, but tonight when you brought those flowers, it all came back to me." Kate whispered tucking a piece of Drew's hair behind her ear. Kate's hand trailed down Drew's jaw as their eyes questioned the others. After a moment of silence, Kate inquired huskily, "Would you kiss me, Drew, if I asked you to?" Drew closed her eyes feeling Kate's mouth hovering over hers. Leaning up Drew caught Kate's lips with her own, her tongue slowly probing into the treasured cavern of Kate's mouth. Kate whimpered pulling away. "Come inside with me, Drew."

"Let's stay here." Drew suggested pushing Kate onto her back. Taking in the sight of Kate's chest rising and falling erratically, Drew gazed into her eyes. "God, you're still so beautiful, even after all these years. If I could only be sixteen again."

"This is our chance to relive the past. Be sixteen again, Drew. Show me how much you loved me. Make love to me."

Drew's eyes began to water. Pressing her face into Kate's clothed breasts, Drew inhaled deeply, taking in her distinctive scent. "God, Katherine. I never thought I'd hear those words from you, and I can't believe I'm about to say this. As much as I'd like to do this, I don't think it's right. You mean to much to me to take you in a drunken stupor. I'd much rather wait to see if this really is something we want to do sober. I wouldn't want to regret it or lose your friendship. Please, try to understand."

"I do. You truly are a wonderful person, Drew. We'll wait. For now though, come to bed with me. I want you to hold me tonight."

Drew was awakened late in the night by the sound of the front door. Noting the time, she realized it was past Lola's curfew. Sliding out of bed softly, as not to wake Kate, Drew opened the bedroom door in time to see Lola's close. Drew went up to the door and knocked.

Lola yanked it open surprised to see Drew standing there in only a t-shirt and boxer shorts. "Drew, what are you doing here?"

"It's a little past your curfew, isn't it?"

"Oh please. It's not like Mom even misses me with you around. So, what's the deal? Give her flowers and get an invitation to bed?"

Stepping into the room, Drew closed the door behind her. "How dare you speak about your mother like she's some sort of tramp? She's hurting, Lola. I'm just being her friend. I don't want to replace Paul in her life or yours."

"Then stop acting like it!"

"I'm not. I'm just trying to be a friend to your mom and to you."

"Well, maybe that's not what I want! Did you ever think of that?"

Drew stared at Lola with hurt and confusion. "Then what is it that you want from me, Lola? If you could have your way, how would I fit into your life? You've been acting strange with me for a week. What's wrong? What do you want from me?" Drew asked holding out her arms in frustration. They stared at each other for a few moments before Lola's eyes grew wet. Instantly Drew embraced her. Their eyes were still locked, Drew's questioning the emotions of Lola's. Suddenly Drew felt Lola's mouth sensuously lock with hers. Instantly Drew pulled away. "What's with you? Have you been drinking?"

"Drew, please." Lola begged holding Drew by the arms.

"Please what? Why did you just kiss me?"

"Because I've always wanted to."

"What? Lola, you're the daughter of my best friend. What do you mean you've always wanted to?"

"Drew, I never knew what I was feeling for you until you told me about being gay. Then suddenly it made sense."

"What did?"

"I want to be with you, Drew."

Pulling away completely, Drew crossed her arms protectively. "I'm not hearing this. Lola, listen to me. You're confused about your sexuality. That's okay. We can deal with that, but how do I fit into this picture? I'm old enough to be your mother. What would I tell your mom, my best friend? You're seventeen. I'm the sheriff of this county. Plainly you can see why this could never work."

"I don't care about any of that, Drew. All I know is what I feel. I want to feel you, Drew. I want to feel you touching me." Lola tried to pry Drew's arms open but to no avail.

Trying desperately to calm her erratic heart, Drew firmly stated, "I can't, Lola. I'm sorry, but it's not possible." Roughly Lola pushed Drew away and collapsing on the bed, she began to sob. "Look try to get some rest. You're obviously drunk and don't know what you're asking of me."

Lola glared at her with anger and hurt, a look Drew had never seen Lola cast at her before. "Of course I know what I'm asking, Drew! I'm not a child! I'm asking you to take me! I want you to hold me and make love to me! How much plainer can I make it? I know what I want!"

"God, please don't say that, Lola."

"Get out! Go back to my mother's bed! That's where you've always wanted to be! I don't want you in here!"

Drew withdrew from the room. Going into the living room, she fell onto the couch. Lying alone Drew thought about Lola's proposition. It was obvious that this had been brewing for some time, longer than she'd known about Drew being a lesbian. Drew wondered how she could've missed the signs. Distressed over what to tell Kate, Drew stayed up most of the night restlessly tossing on the couch.

Chapter 3

In the morning she awoke to Kate in the kitchen. Following the smell of coffee, Drew made her way into the kitchen, falling into a chair. Kate glanced up from the stove. "Drew, I woke up and you were gone. Want some coffee?"

Drew nodded sleepily. "I couldn't sleep, so I laid on the couch."

"Did you hear Lola come in?" Drew nodded. "She was late again."

"So she was." Drew mumbled sipping the coffee Kate had set in front of her.

"You okay?" Kate asked hearing Drew's tone.

"Just tired."

"Uh huh and I was born yesterday. Spill it."

Drew shrugged stalling for time. She didn't know how much she should tell her friend. "Actually, I confronted Lola about being late last night. We ended up in an argument. She said some things to me in anger about being too much of a parental figure. She accused me of trying to fill Paul's void in her life and yours on a more intimate level. Confronting her in only my pjs didn't help. Maybe she's right. Maybe I have overstepped my boundaries."

"I don't mind, Drew. The girl needs guidance."

"I know, but she's beginning to resent me. I think this whole sexuality issue confused her as to where I fit in her life. She feels like you and I have hidden this for ulterior motives, and she feels betrayed."

"I guess it's time for a heart to heart. She needs help, and I can't give it to her. Maybe I should send her to a professional."

"I think that's a good idea. I'll even help get references for you. I think she has a lot to say that maybe she can't say to us."

"You're probably right. Let's forget about it for now though and enjoy breakfast."

"All right, but I want to get out of here before she wakes up. After last night I think it might only add fuel to the fire."

That morning Drew decided to help out at the barn since she hadn't found a replacement for Steve yet. Going about chores in the stable, she tried to forget about Lola. Beginning to work up at sweat, Drew tore off the flannel shirt leaving her in only jeans and a t-shirt. Wiping the sweat from her hairline with her flannel, Drew closed her eyes momentarily. An image of Lola flashed in her mind.

She had to admit that even as shocking as it was to feel Lola's lips on hers, dormant desires had been awakened in her soul. Lola looked so much like Kate at nineteen. She hadn't had a serious relationship in over ten years, but after being propositioned by the two most beautiful women in her life, Drew ached for intimacy. Throwing her shirt into the corner in frustration, Drew stated to the horse standing next to her, "I wish I could just get laid."

"Is that an invitation?"

Drew jumped at the sound of Lola's voice. Turning toward her, Drew looked at her awkwardly. Lola was dressed in tight jeans and a long sleeved white dress shirt tied up to expose her midriff. Her long blonde hair was pinned back off her face, and she was leaning provocatively against the stall door. Drew stepped back putting more space between them, but Lola responded by stepping closer. Drew crossed her arms trying to keep distance.

"Drew, I'm sorry for yelling at you last night."

"I'm sorry too. I had no right to bust you for curfew or drinking. I'm just concerned about your safety. I didn't tell your mom about the drinking, but she does know you were late."

"Thanks for covering for me."

"I didn't like doing it, Lola, and I don't want to have to do it again."

Lola nodded. They gazed at each other for a moment, and for the first time Drew could clearly see desire in Lola's eyes. Breaking the eye contact uncomfortably, Drew turned away taking deep breaths. Lola took the opportunity to wrap her arms around Drew's waist. "I've always loved it when you were sweating, your strong muscles pulsing from exertion. I want to know if you're this enticing in bed." Lola whispered erotically, leaning her forehead into Drew's back between her shoulder blades.

Drew willed her heart to stop thumping by reminding herself that this was Lola saying these things, even though it didn't sound like the little girl she knew. It was the voice of a woman laden with sexual passion, but this was the little girl she had held at birth, changed her diapers, and patched her scraped knees. This was the little girl she'd taken camping and swimming, and she was the one Drew had taught to ride a horse and drive a car. Drew was desperately trying to recall those memories when she faintly became aware of Lola's hands roaming under her untucked t-shirt. Drew heard Lola's labored breath as she felt the hands of a woman raking across her bare abdomen putting her on sensory overload.

Yanking away, Drew cursed, "Dammit, Lola! If you weren't my best friend's daughter..."

"What? If I wasn't Kate's daughter, what?"

Drew felt her stomach turn at the realization of what she wanted to say. An awkward silence passed as Drew felt Lola staring at her, expecting an answer. "I can't, Lola. I just can't. Please, don't ask me again." she whispered hoarsely, leaning a heavy head and heart against the bars of the stall. She heard Lola slip away quietly before breaking down into tears.

Did she really mean what she was about to say? Did she really want to be what Lola longed for in her? "She's Kate's daughter." Drew repeated to herself like a mantra, but she had to face the fact that if Lola wasn't, things might've been different. However, she was Kate's and off limits.

Drew groaned in anguish, her physical needs beginning to simmer just under the surface, and she yearned for relief that could only be found in the arms of a willing woman. Need getting the better of her, Drew ran up to the house. Quickly showering, she jumped into her truck and headed off toward the city. She had a few friends there who could direct her to what she sought so desperately.

By late afternoon she found herself in the bed of a twenty three year old waitress who had previously taken obvious interest in her at social functions between mutual acquaintances. At 11:00 that night Drew had finally caught up on her ten year abstinence. Falling exhausted onto the body under hers, Drew took several cleansing breaths. "God, Drew, seven hours! I'll be walking funny for a week! You're better than I ever imagined." A soft voice said, caressing and soothing her soul.

"Lisa, I hate to do this, but I have to get going. At this rate I won't get home until almost 1:00, and I have to be in the office by 7:00."

"No, stay a little longer, Drew." Lisa pleaded, stroking Drew's short graying brown hair behind her ear.

"I really can't. I'm sorry." Drew replied slipping out of bed to get dressed. Lisa laid there pouting. "Listen, I'll make it up to you. Why don't you come out to my place this weekend?"

"Really?" Lisa asked with renewed hope. Drew nodded hiking on her jeans. "I'll have to check my schedule to see if I can get someone to switch with me. I have to work Saturday night and Sunday lunch, but I'm free Friday."

"Well, let's make it Friday then. You can just stay at my place."

Lisa smiled. "All right. It's a date, Friday night."

"Great. I'll call you later this week. Now I really have to get going."

Lisa got out of bed, pulling the sheet around her to walk Drew to the door. "Thanks for coming over, Drew. I had a wonderful time." Lisa said blushing.

"So did I. Thanks for the invitation." Leaning down, Drew kissed her quickly. "I'll call you."

The following Friday Drew and Lisa spent much of their time in the bedroom, finally falling asleep around 4:00 in the morning. Knowing Lisa wanted to leave by noon to go back to the city, Drew woke her at 10:00. They spent an hour talking over breakfast before spending more time exercising together in the shower.

At noon Drew walked Lisa out to her car. They stood for a long time embraced, kissing on each other, but soon Lisa gently pushed Drew off. "Someone just pulled up behind my car and is staring at us." she whispered uncomfortably. Drew looked over and saw the yellow Beetle.

Breaking away, Drew took Lisa by the hand, pulling her towards Lola's car. Kate rolled down the passenger's window. "Morning ladies. Car in the shop again, Kate?" Kate nodded. Lola silently glared at Lisa. "Oh, Kate, Lola, this is Lisa. Lisa, this is my best friend, Kate, and her daughter, Lola. Kate, why don't you just borrow my Jeep until you're car is fixed? That way Lola doesn't have to be without a car."

"You wouldn't mind?"

"Of course not. Come inside. We'll have coffee." Kate agreed getting out of the car. "Have fun riding, Lola," Drew said. Lola just rolled her eyes before speeding off down the path. "Why don't you go inside, Kate? I'll be right behind you." Drew suggested.

Once they were alone again, Lisa kissed her deeply. "I'll miss you. Call me soon."

Going inside Drew found Kate at the kitchen table drinking coffee. "How old is that child?" she asked.

"Twenty three."

"Drew, what possessed you to do that? She's too young for you."

Drew shrugged. "I guess I was just lonely. It's been too long since I've had anyone."

"So you choose a child? Are you having an early midlife crisis?"

"Kate, I just wanted some sex. Okay?"

"You talk like such a man sometimes, Drew." Kate stated in obvious disdain.

"Well, what's wrong with wanting sex and going out to find it? If I remember correctly, you did the same thing just last week."

Kate blushed. "Oh, all right. I concede to your point. She's just so young. I mean she's not much older than Natalie and Lola."

"I know, but she was available. Can we just drop this? Obviously this upsets you."

"I doesn't." Kate protested, but Drew stared at her in disbelief. "Oh, okay, it does. I mean last week we talked about us venturing into a sexual relationship. I guess I just feel a little over the hill, having to compete with a twenty three year old."

"Since when was this a competition?"

"It's not. I'm sorry. You have a right to do what you want. I guess I'm just feeling a little insecure with myself today, and it's been such a long time since I've seen you with anyone."

A few minutes passed before Drew asked, "How's Lola doing?"

"I think she's upset with you. Last Saturday I found her ripping down all the pictures of you in her room, which is quite a lot. She wouldn't talk to me about it. You two get into an argument?"

"Same stuff as usual. Hopefully a counselor can help her. I don't think we can."

"I hope so. I don't like seeing her in pain like this."

Drew nodded in agreement. "So, Homecoming's only two weeks away. Did Lola get a dress yet?"

"Yeah. Look, I just wanted to tell you that I appreciate you talking her into taking me as her escort."

"This is a special moment for her, and you, as her mother, should be apart of it."

"Well, thank you. Are you going to come to the game with me?"

"Actually, I'll be working the game, directing traffic and patrolling. Most of my people went to school there, so they all want to go to the game. I've tried to accommodate as many as possible. I'm sure you've got friends going, though."

"But they'll all be with their husbands. It's going to be a long night without Paul."

Taking her hand, Drew said, "I'll be there if you need me. Things will be all right."

Chapter 4

The night of the Homecoming game Drew spent most of her time patrolling around the field while the game was in progress. Going to the concession stand, she got herself a coke and watched the crowd from afar. She saw Lola on the field with the other cheerleaders gossiping. Looking towards the stands she noticed a stunning beauty walking up to her.

"Wow. You look great, Kate. New dress?"

Kate gave a blushing nod. "When do you get off tonight, Drew?"

"After the game. Why?"

"Will you give me a ride home? I've had just about all I can stand of my present company. I'm really missing Paul."

"Of course I will. Just keep your chin up and no crying. Wouldn't want to ruin that pretty make up." Drew mentioned making Kate laugh.

"I better get going. It's almost half time."

Just as Kate walked away, Drew heard a voice call out, "Sheriff Bailey." Drew turned to see the principal of the school and one of her former peers coming toward her. "Drew, I was wondering if I could talk to you a moment?"

Drew nodded walking them out of earshot of people. "What do you want, Franklin?"

"Well, it's customary that the sheriff crown the queen. I was wondering if you would do it tonight?" he asked faking a smile.

Drew snarled. "We both know you don't want me crowing any queen, Franklin, or you would've asked me earlier! Now stop trying to kiss up!"

"All right! I don't want you crowning any queen, you fucking dyke, but I'm in a bind! The fact is the former sheriff canceled on me. I just thought since you and Kate Emerson were still good friends after all these years that maybe you'd like to crown her daughter!"

"You're such prick, Franklin! Fine, I'll crown her!"

"Good. The presentation will be starting in about ten minutes. Don't tell anyone you know the results!"

"I wouldn't dream of it, asshole!"

"Too bad she was the one that got away from you. I always did think she'd be such a sweet lay." he jeered angrily.

"You know, you have always had something against me, Franklin! You hated the fact that Kate preferred to be with me than you! You just couldn't face the fact that you weren't man enough for her, and you never will be! You couldn't even fight me one on one for her! Instead you had to gang up on me with two other guys, and I still kicked your asses! If you ever speak about Kate that way again, it would be a pleasure to give you another reminder of what a weakling of a man you really are!" Drew yelled storming away.

As the group began to assemble at the end zone at half time, Kate approached her again. "What are you doing? Did they finally come to their senses and decide to let you do the crowning?"

Drew gave a huge grin. "Something like that."

"You know something. Did she win?" Kate pressed.

"Get back to your daughter. It's almost time."

Principal Franklin made introductions of the girls and their escorts that evening as Drew stood by him. They put on a front for the crowd that things were fine between them. After the announcement of the two senior princesses, three girls were left. Lola looked at Drew, who gave her a wink and a smile. When Lola's name was announced, Lola and her mother both began to cry as they hugged tightly. Lola beamed at Drew as she approached with the crown.

Drew placed it on her before looking into her eyes. "You're absolutely stunning, Lola. You make a fine queen."

In her excitement Lola grabbed Drew, hugging her fiercely. "I love you, Drew." she whispered into Drew's neck.

"I love you too, sweetheart. Your court is awaiting you."

"I could stay in your arms like this forever."

"Lola, don't do this in front of everyone. Let go of me." Lola released her, and their eyes met. Touching her under the chin, Drew said, "Smile, my queen. This is your moment."

After halftime Drew went back to leaning against the concession stand when Kate came up to her. "You knew the whole time." she accused lightly.

Drew nodded. "It was the only way that asshole, Franklin, would let me on the field. He's such a jerk."

"What did he say to you, Drew?"

"Nothing new. You know, you would think after twenty years, people would grow up."

Kate gave a nod looking off toward Lola. "She looks so beautiful."

"She certainly does, just like her mother." Drew mentioned taking a sip of her drink. Kate blushed. "Well, I've got to get back to work. I'll be directing traffic after the game, but you can always wait for me in my squad car."

"Okay, I will."

As Kate began to walk away, Drew called her back. "I just wanted you to know that you also look stunning this evening. As usual I find myself being the envy of many men. I'm honored that I have a place at your side."

Kate gave a shy smile. "See you after the game."

Back at Kate's house, Drew decided to stay for awhile. Taking off her weapons, she hung them in the closet. "You want something to drink?" Kate asked from the kitchen.

"Sure. I'm going to start a fire if that's all right." Drew answered.

Kate entered a few minutes later. Drew had Kate's favorite jazz CD on the stereo with all the lights off. Kate laughed at the ambiance. "Always were the romantic." she commented extending a bottle of wine and an opener to Drew. "I'm going to change into something more comfortable."

A few minutes later Kate came back in. Drew noted the flowing autumn frock that Kate had slipped on. Handing her a glass of wine, Drew raised her glass. "To Lola, the most beautiful queen our school has ever seen."

"To Lola." Kate replied sipping her wine.

Setting her glass down, Drew extended a hand to Kate. "Dance?" she asked.

"I don't think we've ever danced together before." Kate mentioned taking Drew's hand.

Leaning to Kate's ear, Drew whispered, "There's a first time for everything, Katherine."

"What are you wearing?" Kate asked feeling the unusual hardness of Drew's chest.

"Bulletproof vest."

"It's uncomfortable. Take it off." Kate demanded.

Drew looked down into Kate's hazel eyes as she untucked her shirt. Kate's hands joined Drew's in working open the buttons. Neither spoke as they stared deeply into each others eyes before being drawn into a gentle kiss. The shirt was soon forgotten as their mouths communicated latent needs.

Suddenly they heard the front door open. Kate quickly dove onto the couch, turning on the light on the table, but Lola and her friends walked in on Drew trying to button her shirt.

Lola looked at her mother trying to lounge casually before glancing at Drew, who had given up on the buttons and was just standing there, arms folded across her chest.

"I thought you were going to a party." Kate mentioned, bring Lola's attention back to herself.

"We are. I just came home to change. What are your plans for the evening?" she asked looking at Drew.

"Not much. I'm probably going to just go home. I gave your mom a ride back after the game. We were just chatting about my bullet proof vest. She mentioned that she had never seen it on me, so I was just showing her." Drew said, poking herself in the chest.

Lola gauged her friends' reactions. Sensing that they bought the lame story, she ushered them to her room. Drew went into the bathroom to take off her vest and uniform shirt. Hanging them in the closet with her weapons, she came back to the living room and took a seat in the chair furthest from Kate until the girls left half an hour later.

Once they were alone again, Kate said, "Thanks for covering for us. I'm sure it looked bad."

"Why did you panic, Katherine?" Drew asked coming to the couch.

"I don't know. I guess I'm just not sure about what we're doing. I know it could be great, but I'm not sure it's the right thing for us. I don't want either one of us to get hurt, and I don't want to lose your friendship, Drew." Drew nodded pulling Kate into an embrace. "I miss Paul." Kate wept after a few minutes.

"I know you do."

"Every night I go to bed aching for him, Drew. I miss the feeling of him lying next to me. I miss the feeling of waking up to his kiss."

"It'll take time, Kate. You're going to miss him for a long time."

"I'm so sorry, Drew. I don't know what I've been thinking putting you through this. You deserve a woman who knows what she wants. I'm just not her."

"Maybe you should see a counselor too?" Drew suggested. "It might help you." Kate nodded. "Why don't we just lay here? Let me hold you."

Drew covered them with a blanket, and they were silent the rest of the evening. Neither had realized that they had fallen asleep until Lola came in at 2:00. "I should get going." Drew mentioned sitting up to put on her shoes. "Let's put you in bed. Lola can lock up behind me."

Seeing Kate to bed, Drew went to Lola's room. "Just tell me the truth, Drew. What are your intentions toward my mother?"

"I have none other than friendship, Lola. I promise you."

"It just looked bad to walk in on you two tonight. I'm just glad my friends actually believed that dumb story."

"Me too. I just wanted to let you know how wonderful it was to crown you tonight. I'll always cherish the memory."

"So will I." Lola mentioned coming to Drew. They hugged for a moment. "Drew, your friend Lisa..."

"Lola, I'm sorry you had to see that."

"Why her? Am I not beautiful enough?"

"Oh, Lola, you are so beautiful. Actually, I just needed some relief, and I knew she'd willing give it to me."

"I don't understand. You know I'm willing. Why not me? Why can't you see me as anything more than a little girl?" Lola asked looking up to Drew's face. She backed out of Drew's arms and gestured to her own body. "Is my body so unappealing to you?"

"Lola, sweetie, you're in a transitional phase right now. Sometimes I look at you and see a little girl and other times a woman. As a child you're easy to dismiss, but that day you cornered me in the stall, you were a woman. It scared me, Lola."

"Why? Tell me, please."

"I'm so ashamed of myself. Your touch was evoking emotions I hadn't felt in a long time. I was on fire with need. I couldn't believe it was you awakening my senses. I had to keep reminding myself that you're Kate's daughter. It would ruin my friendship with your mother if I ever caved to temptation. You have to understand that."

"But..."

"No buts, Lola. No exceptions. I can't, and that's all there is to it. Now I have to get out of here. Come lock the door behind me." Drew turned to walk away, but Lola held her firmly. Raising up on her toes, Lola leaned to Drew's mouth, hovering lightly. Drew felt the jolt in her body as Lola's mouth brushed sensuously into hers. Drew's mouth opened to protest but found her voice muffled by Lola's tongue plummeting into her mouth. Drew groaned forgetting herself momentarily, but as their mouths met a second time, realization dawned. Pulling away, Drew rested her head on top of Lola's mumbling, "Oh God, this can't happen."

She felt Lola's lips on her neck. "God, why are you doing this to me, Lola?" she moaned.

"I want you, Drew." Lola seductively whispered.

"But I can't. You're seventeen. Please, spare me this agony. I can't take it." Drew begged desperately.

Lola reluctantly pulled away. "I'll walk you out." she mumbled not meeting Drew's eyes. Stepping onto the porch they hugged. "Drew, please reconsider me before running to Lisa."

Drew touched Lola's cheek brushing back an errant strand of blonde hair. Instead of responding, Drew simply kissed Lola's cheek whispering, "Good night, sweet angel. You're a queen in my heart always."

"See you tomorrow. I want you here for pictures before the dance."

"I wouldn't miss it."

The next evening Drew showed up as promised with a white rose in hand. "Lola's still getting ready." Kate mentioned letting Drew into the house.

There was a young man sitting nervously on the couch. Drew eyed him closely. "Hi there. You must be Lola's date. I'm Sheriff Drew Bailey." she introduced herself extending her hand to him. He stood and shook it timidly as he greeted her. "I'm just going to let Lola know I'm here."

Going into Lola's room, she found her standing in a full length black dress primping in the mirror. She smiled brightly at Drew. "A rose for the queen." Drew stated extending the flower, feeling unusually shy for a moment in front of this breathtaking creature.

"Oh, Drew, you're so sweet. Thank you." Lola replied nonchalantly kissing Drew quickly on the lips. Drew could feel her face growing warm, another unusual occurrence for her.

Fighting the blush Drew complimented her outfit. "You have become quite a lovely young lady, Lola, beautiful, charming, intelligent, and you look amazing in this dress. Your date is a lucky guy. Tell me. Is he a love interest?"

"Would you be jealous if he was?" Lola asked playing with her hair. When Drew didn't answer, Lola looked at her directly.

"I just want to know, because if he is, I want to put the fear of God and the law in him. I just want him to know that I have a gun and a shovel if he hurts you in anyway."

Lola chuckled. "You have nothing to worry about, Drew. He's harmless." Lola turned to get final approval.

"Wow. I'd swear you weren't seventeen in that outfit."

Lola came up to Drew and playfully tugged on her collar. "Drew, you're my only love interest. I could never be unfaithful to you. Share a dance with me right here, right now." she said bringing Drew's hands to her waist.

Drowning in those hazel eyes, Drew felt her resolve slip away as she gently guided Lola around the bedroom. After a song, Drew mentioned, "You're date is waiting."

"I could care less. Right now all I care about is being here in your arms. Of course, if I had my way, I'd let my fantasy continue."

"I'm not sure I should know where your mind leads you." Drew said beginning to pull back.

"But I want you to know. My favorite fantasy is that we're dancing just like this, and we begin to kiss. Ever so slowly we proceed to get more involved in each other. You sweep me up into your arms taking me to bed where you make love to me, turning me into a real woman. I can almost feel it if I try, the feeling of your body on mine, you touching me in places where no one has before." breathlessly Lola explained.

Drew's breathing matched Lola's as her mind envisioned the fantasy. "God, you're a virgin too." she moaned.

"I told you I knew what I wanted, Drew. I've been waiting for you."

"What would I tell Kate? Ask her to continue to be my best friend while I sleep with her daughter? I could never do that to her. Now come on. Your date's been waiting."

Pictures took half an hour and then Drew found herself alone with Kate. "Are you worried about her?" Kate asked.

"Yes. I just don't want her to act in a way she will regret later. She wants to be a grown up now."

"Do you think she'll do something wrong?"

"I hope not."

"I don't like the way you sound. Has she confided something in you? Is she planning on drinking or having sex with someone?"

"Not with him."

"Oh good. You were beginning to scare me."

"It's just that she thinks she's ready for a sexual relationship. I'm afraid she'll pick the wrong person. I don't want her to get hurt."

"Did she give you a name, Drew?" Drew hesitated, but then slowly nodded. "Who?"

"She told me in confidence. I don't want to break that, but I'll say this. I don't think it's a good choice."

"Then you know him. Do I?"

Drew gave another nod. "She's a virgin, Kate. I just hope she decides to stay that way a little longer." Changing the subject Drew asked, "How are plans going for her surprise party?"

"Pretty good. I can't believe my baby's going to be eighteen in two weeks. Where did the time go?" Chapter 5

Two Sundays later was Lola's birthday. As usual Lola went riding at Drew's. However it was Drew's responsibility to keep her occupied until at least 6:00 that evening. Kate had dropped her off at the barn at noon pretending that her car was having trouble again, so Drew knew Lola would ride until at least 4:00. They had arranged for Drew to bring Lola home after riding, so as 4:00 approached, Drew wondered how she would stall for two hours.

Sitting on the back porch, Drew spotted Lola coming up the walk toward the house. Drew couldn't help herself from appraising Lola's outfit, boots, jeans, and a flannel she'd stolen out of Drew's closet years before.

As she watched she noted the way Lola's hips swayed as she walked. Drew grinned knowing Lola was performing for her. Taking another sip of her beer, Drew continued to stare slowly realizing she was enjoying the show more than she should. Drew sighed heavily.

Things were definitely changing between them. Lola was steering their relationship into dangerous waters regardless of how much Drew resisted. Drew admitted to herself that Kate was the real reason she had tried to divert Lola, but it was obvious that Lola didn't want to be dissuaded.

When Lola got to the porch, she sat on Drew's lap. "You never give up, do you?" Drew asked referring to Lola's boldness. Secretly Drew was beginning to delight in Lola's attention.

Lola shook her head with a sexy smile. "I think I'm starting to get to you. Why would I give up now?" Lola teased running a finger along Drew's neck. Drew didn't even realize she'd gulped until Lola laughed softly. "Happy birthday to me." she breathed into Drew's ear before biting the lobe. Drew growled jumping from the chair, effectively suspending Lola in mid air. Noting the change of position and Drew's unstable breathing, she smiled. "So that's how to jump start you. Good to know."

Drew gently set Lola down. "You're incorrigible. I'm going to have to be committed because of you."

Lola laughed. Swatting Drew's rear, she headed into the house saying, "I have to shower before you take me home."

"Okay. Anything you need?"

Lola looked over her shoulder and raised a brow. "Only you." she answered continuing inside.

Drew's legs went weak as she sank into her chair. "Damn, that woman could drive one to drink." Drew stated to no on in particular as she took a big swig of her beer.

Closing her eyes, Drew relived the past few minutes in her mind. Lola was desperately trying to work her into a sexual frenzy, one she had no chance to control, but Drew wondered how Lola really felt about her. If she was in love, Drew knew it would be wrong to pursue her, but there was definitely a sexual attraction. Drew then remembered the look on Lola's face as she turned to go inside. A strong willed, sensual, wanton woman had given her those eyes, not a little girl. Drew resolved to speak to her after her shower.

Finishing her beer, Drew went inside, picking up Lola's present off the kitchen counter and proceeding upstairs. Drew found Lola fresh from the shower, dressed in only Drew's robe, brushing her long, wet, golden tresses. Drew felt heat stirring within her as she watched Lola, who, with her closed eyes, seemed unaware of Drew's presence or how enticing she was. Drew felt her own heart fluttering at the arousing display, and she couldn't help but wonder if she was feeling the first stirring of love, especially when she heard her name escaped Lola's lips. When Lola was finished, she pulled her hair over one shoulder and sighed, opening her eyes. She turned to see Drew frozen against the door frame with sexual tension etched clearly across her features.

"Lola, I want to talk to you about something serious."

"What about?" she asked coming to Drew and wrapping her arms around Drew's neck.

Drew pulled Lola's hands down and held them in her own close to her chest. "Us." she sighed.

"I think I like the sound of that."

"Lola, please. Stop with the games for one minute. This is serious. If you want to be with me, you've got to learn how to talk to me. You don't have to give me an answer right now, but I want you to think about something. I want to know how you really feel about me. Are you in love with me? Are you just sexually attracted to me? Are you just curious and want to experience this with someone you trust? Just think it over, and when you've decided, come talk to me. We have to know each other's feelings if you're serious about us having a relationship."

"Does this mean we can?" Lola asked hopefully.

"This means we can talk about it. That's all. Now why don't you get dressed? Then you can open your present."

"No, present first. Where is it?" Drew pulled the box out of her pocket and held it out to her. Lola ripped the wrapping off before opening the tiny box. "Oh, Drew." she whispered pulling the necklace out to inspect. Rolling the diamond back and forth in her cupped hand so it caught the light, she stated, "It's beautiful! Help me put it on."

Stepping to her Drew took the necklace from her hands. Lola leaned her head close to Drew's chest, so Drew could clasp it around her neck. Kissing the top of Lola's head, Drew whispered, "Happy birthday, angel."

Lola looked up at her as Drew straightened the chain, centering the diamond. They both felt the electricity as Drew's fingers grazed the skin of Lola's neck. Grabbing Drew by the wrist with both her hands so she couldn't pull away so easily, Lola slowly guided Drew's hand down through the top of her robe. Drew went rigid as she tried to pull away, but Lola's grip was stronger. Lola pushed Drew's hand over her breast and held it firmly there.

"God, Lola, please." Drew begged but for what she wasn't sure.

Lola held Drew's hand firmly with one of her own as the other cupped the back of Drew's head, bring their mouths together passionately. Drew groaned deeply, her hands taking on their own mind. Slipping both into the robe, Drew caressed Lola's bare back with one as the other cupped the breast she'd touched, brushing her thumb across the peak causing Lola to whimper. The sound drove Drew mad with desire. Claiming Lola's mouth harshly, Drew yanked open the robe, pushing it off Lola's shoulders. Breaking away for a second, Drew looked over Lola's offering and groaned in approval.

In a voice Drew didn't even recognize as her own she growled, "God, you're so sexy! You really do want me to make you a woman, don't you?"

"Please." Lola begged thrusting her chest up into Drew's body.

Drew captured Lola's mouth in a lustful kiss beginning to back her up towards the bed. Pushing her back onto it, Drew pinned Lola's naked body down with her own wedging her torso between Lola's legs. Meeting Lola's eyes with hers, Drew instantly thought of Kate.

"Oh my God. What am I doing?" Drew growled in anguish, dropping her head onto Lola's bare chest.

Lola stirred beneath her. "Drew? Drew, are you all right?" she asked caressing Drew's dark hair.

"Just hold me." Drew whispered feeling the tears spring forth, splashing Lola's bare skin. They laid in silence, Lola's naked limbs enveloping Drew as she wept for almost an hour. Finally Drew rolled off of her. Not meeting Lola's gaze, she mumbled, "You need to get dressed. I told your mom I'd have you home by 6:30."

"Drew, are you all right?" Lola reached for her, but Drew held her at bay.

"Just go." Once she was alone, Drew put an ashamed hand over her face. She didn't know what she was going to say to Kate, but her mind was quickly overpowered by the vision of Lola's naked body. "Dammit!" she cursed repeatedly.

Little did she realize that she dozed off until she felt movement on the bed. Opening her eyes, she jumped slightly seeing Lola straddling her hips. Lola smiled brightly, leaning down to Drew's mouth. They kissed slowly. Drew's hands found their way to Lola's blue-jeaned backside. Squeezing the globes gently, Drew elicited a moan from Lola.

Lola pulled away. "You have given me the best birthday presents I could have ever asked for, Drew, and I cherish each one."

"The necklace looks good on you." Drew complimented as Lola dismounted.

"I think you look good on me, Drew. You felt so good. I just hope that there's more where that came from."

"Come on. Let's get you home." Drew said ignoring the statement.

When they got to Lola's, Drew escorted her to the door, sensing that Lola was oblivious to what was about to happen, but as soon as she opened the door and was surprised, she slapped Drew in the arm. "You sneak!" she teased in mock anger.

During the party Drew helped Kate play hostess, but as the group gravitated to the back field, they stayed behind on the porch.

"That necklace you gave her is really something, Drew. You shouldn't have." Kate mentioned.

"Well, I gave Natalie a pair of diamond earrings and roses for her eighteenth birthday, and I remember Lola saying that's what she wanted too, so I delivered. By the way, did her roses arrive?"

"Yeah. They're in her room, so she hasn't seen them yet. They are stunning."

"Good." Drew answered quietly.

"Drew, are you all right? You seem upset."

Drew shrugged. "I've just got a problem that I need to work out on my own."

"You sure you don't want to talk about it?" Kate inquired staring at her with concern.

Drew crumbled under the gaze. "Lola asked me to have sex with her." she blurted out under the strain of Kate's eyes.

"What?" Kate asked in shock.

"Lola told me that she was glad I was a lesbian, because she wanted a sexual relationship with me." Drew stated slowly.

"I'm sorry. Did I hear you correctly? You just said Lola asked you to go to bed with her?" Drew nodded. "What did you say, Drew?" Drew paused long enough for Kate's eyes to shoot open. "Do I want to know what's about to come out of your mouth, Drew Bailey?" she asked with controlled hostility.

"I told her no, Kate. After all, she was only seventeen at the time, and she is your daughter."

"I have to talk to her."

"I haven't told you everything yet."

"There's more? I'm not sure I could take it, Drew."

"I know, but I have to tell you. Ever since the assault, every time we're alone together, she has tried to seduce me. She's been everything from subtle to obvious, but the fact is she is determined to have me."

"Drew, I'm so sorry. This must be awkward for you. I'll talk to her about it."

"No don't. I don't want her to know that I told you. I don't want her to resent me for the rest of her life. For now, I think I have it under control." she lied.

Kate saw through it. "You're keeping something from me, Drew, and I'm afraid to ask what. Have you taken her? Have you given her what she thinks she wants?"

"No! I haven't had sex with her, Kate!" emphatically Drew emphasized. "But..."

"But? But what? What have you done with my child?"

"She's gotten into kissing me. At first I kept trying to stop her, but she keeps coming. I haven't been able to stop her with my words."

Kate scowled at her. "I want to know everything, Drew! Tell me, or I'll get it out of Lola!"

"Okay. Today she came on to me with another oral assault, and I couldn't stop her. I caved to it. I've felt so horrible since it's happened. I feel like I betrayed you."

Kate's eyes were shooting daggers at Drew. "Let me see if I have this right? You have touched my daughter sexually? You have had your hands on her in intimate ways? That's what you're saying, right?"

Drew could hear the anger in Kate's voice. "Katherine, please don't be upset."

"Upset? I'm a little more than upset, Drew! I'm so angry with you, I don't know what to do! She's a child and even worse, my child!"

"She's an adult by law." Drew feebly pointed out.

"I don't care about your law, Drew! You can take it and shove it up your ass for all I care!" Drew moved to touch her arm, but Kate swatted Drew's hands away. "Don't touch me! Don't ever touch me again! I trusted you!"

"Kate, I'm sorry. You have every right to hate me right now." Drew stated beginning to feel Kate's friendship slipping away from her grasp.

"Hate you? Oh, I hate you all right!"

Drew gulped holding back tears. "Maybe I should just go. I'll just tell Lola good bye and then I'll be on my way." Drew said standing.

"No!" Kate yelled jumping from her chair. "You stay away from her! Don't go near her! You don't see her! You don't talk to her, and you sure as hell don't ever touch her, or I swear I'll make you suffer!"

Meekly Drew nodded. "Fine. Good bye, Katherine. I love you."

Drew scurried down from the porch and walked around to the front of the house where her truck was parked. Leaning into the driver's side window, Drew wept uncontrollably, mourning the turn of events. She had no idea how long she had stood there, and to her it didn't matter. All that did matter was the fact that her beloved friendship with Kate was gone. She never even heard a car pulling up behind her but felt a disorienting blow to the back of the head. She tried to recover but felt a punch to her kidney, shooting pain throughout her entire body. Her assailant grabbed her by the shoulder to turn her around. Her eyes were so blurred by tears and the knock to the head that she couldn't see the punch to the jaw. There was an audible crack as Drew went face first into the window before falling to the ground. Gaining enough sense, Drew reached for her gun in her side holster but found it empty.

"Looking for something?" the familiar male voice mocked.

"Steve?" Drew mumbled through a broken jaw. Then she heard the sound of gun fire as pain pierced through her chest.

Continued in Part 2.


Back To Main Page