Disclaimer: The characters in this story are all mine. They do sort of resemble two characters we know and love. But still all mine.

Love/sex: There will be that going around sooner or later. If you don't like it that's too bad.

Angst/hurt/comfort: Yes I've put that in as well.

Violence: some of that too.

Thank you to Jen Huls for Beta reading this part for me. You made all of my sentences a lot prettier, so thank you.

This is my first time posting a story of mine and this one has been swimming in my head for a while. If you'd like to tell me how much you liked it, you can reach me at: Alice2012@att.net .

  

Surviving the Storm

By Alice D.

 

 

  With long strides, Alex walked down the hall and turned the corner leading to the main autograph room at the convention center. There seemed to be a larger crowd than before swarming around the main entrance to the building. Alex stopped and slid her fingers through her hair in frustration. As she walked closer, she saw that the crowd of people was actually a crowd of loud paparazzi.

“Great, just what I needed right now,” she muttered under her breath. Alex was used to the paparazzi finding her anywhere she went, so she decided to deal with it, like always. She walked quickly towards the crowd, her face emotionless. Then all hell seemed to break loose as she heard her name being screamed from multiple people in the crowd. They surrounded her as she tried to get to the entrance, closing in on her like vultures ready to feast on a dead carcass. The bright flashes of the cameras lit up the area

like strobe lights in a club.

“Alexandra, how are you doing?!”

“Alexandra, are you here to promote your movie?!”

“How do you feel about gays in the army?!”

“You look beautiful tonight Alexandra. Wave to my camera!”

The flashes continued as she pushed through the crowd. Alex knew it was a stupid idea to come here without her bodyguard. The crowd seemed hot around her as she continued her way through to the entrance, bodies being pushed into her fighting to get a better picture. She finally reached the entrance and her arm was grabbed by Max, her limousine driver. Alex looked at him and smiled in relief. Max had moved the limousine to the front entrance of the building. He laughed as he looked at the expression on Alex's face.

“You didn't think I was going to let you walk across the street with those guys after you, did you?”

Alex turned her head and saw a mob of paparazzi trying to squeeze through the doors to reach her. They were always crazy when it came to Alex. Max quickly opened the limo door for Alex as she ducked into the dark interior of the limousine. He slammed the door behind him and ran around the vehicle, opened the driver side door and locked himself in. The engine roared to life as he pressed the ‘push to start' button. Alex sat in the very rear of the vehicle looking out her blackened windows as the flashes continued to go off. I guess they like taking pictures of my windows. Alex smiled at the thought.

Alex pressed a button on the door and the mirrored barrier between her and Max lowered.

“Thanks for the help there Max. Looks like I really needed it.”

Max looked into the rearview mirror as he drove down the brightly lit streets.

“Anything for you Alexandra.” He smiled.

Alex laughed, stretching in the back seat.

“Did you find what you were looking for?”

She looked up at Max and sighed with content. “Yes, I did actually.” Alex smiled, taking off her jacket.

“That's good. I'm happy for you. Where to, Alexandra?”

Alex looked at the watch on her wrist and decided. It was only 11:30pm and she wanted to go to Steven's house. She wanted to tell him what happened at the convention center and how ecstatic she was of the possibility of seeing Jamie again.

I should have gotten her number so that I could call her. What if she never calls me? What if I just made a complete and total fool of myself by looking for her?

“Hey, uh…Alex?”

Alex snapped out of her thoughts, her eyebrows together with worry.

“Oh, sorry. To Steven's house, Max.”

Max nodded and drove on. Alex pressed the button on the door and the mirrored wall once again lifted up, leaving Alex alone with her thoughts of Jamie. I still love her. Why am I doing this to myself? I've never wanted anyone before. Why now? Everyone loves me, but they don't love me for who I really am, do they?

Alex looked out the window into the night. The city traffic was still very busy. They were stopped at a red traffic light while a large group of people crossed the street. Alex saw a couple holding hands and laughing, like they hadn't a care in the world.

I want to be happy. For once in my life, at least, she thought. They were driving through Times Square and on one of the large buildings was the movie poster for her film, lit up, glowing under the night sky. Alex once again found herself deep in her thoughts of the past, and what brought her to who she was today.

 

February, 2002

Hollywood

The mansion was filled with every ‘A-list' star in Hollywood , it seemed. Everyone was dancing or drinking, and some were doing drugs. It was the party to be invited to and if you weren't invited, then you probably weren't one of the VIP's.

Alex walked down the marble center staircase with a smug look on her face. In one hand she held a cigarette and in the other, she held her Oscar trophy. It was an Oscar after-party and she was still in her Vera Wang gown. It was dark red, low cut in the back and hanging off of her shoulders in the front. She looked like a Greek Goddess. Alex brought the cigarette up to her mouth and inhaled, the smoke filling her lungs and leaving them as she slowly blew the smoke out. She stopped at the bottom of the stairs and observed all of the people around her. She was looking for one person in particular, and she spotted her dancing with someone. Alex walked up to the woman and tapped her on the shoulder. The blonde woman turned around and smiled seductively at Alex. She started to sway slowly in front of Alex as she stepped closer to her. Her previous dance partner was already dancing with someone else.

“How's it going Alexandra? This is a really great party. I love your home.” The woman loosely wrapped her arms around Alex's neck. Alex never moved her hands from her sides as she swayed with her.

“Thank you Cindy. So, where's your husband right now?” Alex looked into Cindy's eyes, smiling.

“I don't know actually. Probably in the pool. He liked the idea that it was indoors, and warm.”

“How long has he been gone?” They continued to sway to the music.

“Not very long, five minutes maybe…why all the questions about my husband Alexandra?” Cindy smiled knowing very well why she was asking.

Alex put her cigarette out in a nearby ash tray and placed her Oscar on the same table as the ash tray. She turned around and took Cindy's hand, walking her through the crowd and up the staircase. As they reached the second floor, Alex led Cindy to the wooden double doors at the end of the hall. She opened them and closed the doors behind them.

Once inside, Alex pushed Cindy against the wall and found her mouth with her own. They were both breathing heavy as Cindy started to lower the straps on Alex's gown. Once the straps were lowered, the gown fell to the floor, leaving Alex with her lace bra and thong on. Alex grabbed Cindy to her, wrapping her arms around to the back of Cindy's dress. She unzipped the dress and slid it down Cindy's body. They both struggled to remove their underwear and once it was off, Alex turned Cindy to the king size bed in the center of the dimly lit room. She backed her up until Cindy landed on the bed, sitting upright with Alex between her legs. Alex's hands and mouth were all over Cindy. She roughly pushed Cindy down so that she was laying flat on the bed. Still between her legs, Alex lowered herself onto Cindy, their skin making full contact.

Cindy moaned loudly, arching herself into Alex. Her nails raked across Alex's back as Alex ground into her.

“What if Ron comes up here to find me?” Cindy hotly whispered. Alex looked at Cindy and covered Cindy's mouth with her hand.

“Shut up.” Alex went back to licking and biting Cindy's neck. She lowered her hand between Cindy's thighs and found what she was looking for. Cindy was so wet for her. Alex stroked her heated center and Cindy started to moan louder. Alex liked the power she had over Cindy, she was so easy to entice.

They went at it for an hour and found themselves sweaty, tangled in the thick sheets. Cindy was sleeping next to her and snoring obnoxiously. Alex turned to look at her and thought about kicking her off the bed. She sat up and looked at her night table next to the bed. There was white powder in a line waiting just for her. Alex picked up the small glass pipe next to the powder, brought it to her nose and snorted it. Alex felt it immediately and turned back towards Cindy. She planted her feet against Cindy's back and pushed Cindy off of the bed. There was a squeal of surprise as she landed on the floor with a thud.

“Get the fuck out Cindy!” Alex yelled, annoyed.

“Why did you do that Alex?!” Cindy's hair was a mess as she glared at Alex.

“Because I can. Now get your shit on and get out of my room!” Alex walked slowly to her closet and pulled on boxers and a T-shirt. She looked at Cindy as she struggled to get her dress back on. Alex walked out of her room and leaned on the railing as she walked down the stairs. The party was still going strong, music coming from everywhere. Everyone seemed drunk, and high, dancing in circles. Alex laughed loudly as she reached the bottom of the stairs. She walked into the main room, the strobe lights making her feel like she was in heaven. She walked up to Linda Jackson who also won earlier that night, and grabbed her around the waist. Linda laughed at Alex's antics, going along with her as Alex caressed her face.

“You're beautiful.” Alex proceeded to start making out with Linda, their tongues battling for control. Linda pulled back, looking into Alex's eyes.

“You're high, aren't you?”

“Maybe. Come on, I know you want me.”

“No, Alex, not like this.”

Alex cocked her head to the side and laughed mockingly.

“It's okay Linda. You weren't very good in bed anyway.”

Linda pushed herself out of Alex's grasp and got lost in the gyrating crowd.

Alex stood there, staring at all of her friends. She bumped into Steven dancing and he grabbed her hand, spinning her around. The man he was dancing with handed her a pill. She took it out of his hand and without thought, placed it on her tongue. She continued to dance with Steven and his friend until she felt a tap on her shoulder.

Alex turned, her eyes half lidded and red. She felt a sting as a hand slapped her hard across her face.

“You're a fucking bitch, Alex!” Cindy yelled over the music.

Alex laughed as she watched Cindy storm out of her house with her husband following behind, a look of confusion on his face.

Steven looked at Alex and yelled over the loud music, “What was that?”

“I fucked her. Guess she didn't enjoy it,” Alex said, dazed.

“You better watch yourself Alex.” Steven yelled.

“I know. I will.” She put her hands in the air, swaying with the music and watched the ring on her finger sparkle under the lights as a tear ran slowly down her face.

Alex looked down at her hand, and at the ring on her finger. “How could I have wasted so many years doing nothing?” She asked herself as the limousine came to a complete stop in front of Steven's house. Max opened the door for Alex as she stepped out.

“Thanks Max, I'll be staying here tonight.”

“Okay, call me when you need me.”

Alex smiled, “I will.”

Alex turned and walked up the stairs, digging into her pocket and grabbing the key to Steven's home. She unlocked the door, opening it and yelled.

“Steven! It's me, Alex! I have a lot of stuff to tell you my friend.” Steven came prancing around the corner, a creamy white mask on his face.

“Oh yeah? Tell me everything.”

 

***

 

The convention was finally over and it seemed like the night was endless. Throughout the entire time Jamie was on stage, all she could think about was Alex. Jamie had dreamt years ago that Alex would come looking for her, but that was years ago. When Alex had never come looking for her, she had given up hope and moved on. She attended the University of Central Florida for three years before dropping out and moving to Los Angeles with her girlfriend at the time.

That's how she met Clarissa, through her ex, Victoria. At the time, Victoria was a motivational speaker for teenagers and introduced Jamie into speaking up for something that she was passionate about. During their second year together, Victoria had become very jealous and possessive. She would always argue with Jamie regarding the places she had been or who she was with at the time. During one of their major arguments, Jamie left the house and drove to Clarissa's house to get away from Victoria . After hours of crying on Clarissa's shoulder, Jamie decided it was time to break up with her girlfriend. Jamie never loved Victoria as much as she had loved Alex. Alex never treated her badly and never spoke to her with words that were meant to intentionally hurt her. So when she broke up with Victoria , it was more of a relief than anything else.

Jamie and Clarissa stood on the curb and Clarissa hailed a taxi for them. As the taxi pulled up, they both got in and Clarissa gave the taxi driver the name of the hotel they were staying at. Clarissa then looked at Jamie, curiosity written all over her face.

“So are you going to call her?”

Jamie automatically looked down at her purse lying on her lap. She had folded the piece of paper and shoved it into it when Alex left. Jamie looked over to Clarissa and smiled.

“Yeah, I think I am, actually.”

“Why didn't you ever tell me that your ‘Alex' was Alexandra Davenport?” Clarissa turned more to face Jamie, leaning her head on the seat.

“I don't know. I think maybe because I wanted to believe that she was the same kind hearted person I knew in high school. Now everyone knows her as this spoiled playgirl that can get anything she wants when she wants it. I didn't want you to think I was easy or something.” Jamie looked down at her hands nervously.

“Maybe she is the same person that you knew. Maybe the magazines paint her out to be something that she really isn't. It happens all the time you know. And by the way, I would not have thought you were easy. You're as hard and strong as a rock, for sure.”

Jamie laughed and leaned her head back on the seat closing her eyes. “She looked beautiful, didn't she?”

“Yes she did. I almost had a heart attack when I saw her in the room with you. She looks just like she does in her movies. Graceful, yet dangerous. Was she always like that, Jamie?”

“No. When I saw her tonight, she seemed changed. It's still her, but it seems like she's sad. She was always graceful though. She said she wanted to tell me that she was sorry, and she was going to tell me something else, but you walked in.”

“I'm sorry. How was I supposed to know she was in there? You normally don't allow anyone in unless they know ‘the knock'.”

“She knocked three times, Clar. How did she know to knock three times?”

“Maybe John told her. He's practically infatuated with her.”

“You think so? Wait until I see him again. He knew who Alex was to me. I'm going to kill him.”

Clarissa rolled her eyes and looked back at Jamie, “But are you seriously angry at him for letting her see you? You don't seem serious.”

Jamie laughed and slapped Clarissa lightly on her arm. “No, I'm not serious. I'm happy I got to see Alex again. We have a lot to catch up on and I have a lot of questions to ask her.”

“Okay ladies, here you go.” The taxi stopped in front of the hotel. Jamie paid the driver and they both stepped out onto the sidewalk. They walked into the hotel and into the elevator to take them to the fourth floor.

“So are you going to call her tonight?” Clarissa broke the silence.

“Clar! Of course not. She's probably sleeping by now. Look at how late it is and I'm not going to wake her up.”

The elevator doors opened to their floor and they walked down the hall to their room. Jamie opened the door, which lead to a large elegant room. She sighed, closing and locking the door behind them. “I'm so tired, I think as soon as my head hits the pillow I'll be gone.”

“Jamie, you deserve to sleep for days after a night like tonight. Hey do you think your mom minds sharing a room with John?”

Jamie looked at Clarissa from the bathroom mirror as she changed into her pajamas.

“No, I don't think so. I haven't heard any complaints about it yet. She loves John. He's like a son to her.” Jamie turned off the light in the bathroom and came out in pink boy

shorts and a white tee. “She probably knew Alex was there before I knew, too. She and John were probably in this together.”

Clarissa turned to the other room that was separated from the rest of the suite by a sliding wooden door. “Maybe. Who knows? Anyway I need to get my beauty rest, see you in the morning.”

“Okay. Goodnight.”

The door slid shut behind Clarissa and Jamie laid down on the fluffy king size mattress. She quickly rolled over and turned off the light next to the bed. Jamie slid under the sheets and stared at the ceiling, deep in thought. I can't believe she found me. After all these years, she finally decided to show up. I don't even know what to think. Jamie stretched and the memories of when they first met ran through her thoughts.

“That was such a long time ago,” she whispered to herself.

 

October, 1993

Orlando , FL

 

Walking outside the house, you could hear the music blasting inside. It was ten o'clock and the parents of the kid who was throwing the party were obviously not home. Jamie walked onto the lawn with her two girlfriends next to her.

“I don't really want to go to this party, guys. We weren't even invited,” Jamie said. Her friends stopped, and looked at each other. Stephanie looked at Jamie like she was crazy.

“Michael, the really cute senior, is the one throwing it. He won't notice us in there. Look at all the cars that are parked here.” Stephanie said.

“Yeah,” Lindsay agreed. They continued to stare at Jamie.

“Okay fine, but if we get kicked out I'm never talking to you guys again.” Both girls rolled their eyes at Jamie and continued to walk to the front door. Before reaching the door, a guy with a girl hanging off of his arm and a beer can in the other, opened it. They were both laughing hysterically and walked out past Jamie and her friends. The three continued to stare and then looked at each other. Stephanie walked in first, with Lindsay behind her and Jamie coming in last. Jamie slammed the door behind her, gazing at her surroundings. The music was so loud inside she could barely hear her own thoughts. The lyrics of ‘All That She Wants' by Ace of Base sounded loudly throughout the home. There were people dancing everywhere from what she could see. The normal lights were all turned off and there were black lights everywhere. Strobe lights made everyone seem like they were moving in slow motion. Jamie already wanted to go home. She had already lost Stephanie and Lindsay in the crowd. The house was warm inside from all the bodies squeezed into one space and Jamie was thirsty. She spotted a table by the wall that had a giant punch bowl on it with liquid inside. She grabbed a cup from the table and poured herself some of the drink.

Jamie brought the cup up to her lips and took a sip. Once the liquid rolled down her throat, she gagged. She coughed and wiped her mouth from the awful, strong taste of whatever was in that cup. Jamie placed the cup on the table and walked to a set of glass doors leading outside. She bumped into everyone as she tried to get to them. When she finally reached the doors, she pushed herself out and felt relieved when she felt the cool breeze hit her face. She had reached the back yard that had a brown privacy fence around it and lanterns lighting up the patio. There were people sitting on the grass talking or drinking and some were couples making out on the lawn. Jamie looked to her left and saw a table she could sit at but someone was already there. A girl with dark black hair was there relaxing with her eyes closed and her feet propped on another chair. Jamie walked towards the table and looked at the girl.

“Excuse me,” Jamie said softly. The dark haired girl opened her eyes and turned her head at the voice. Jamie smiled and waved. The girl looked up at her and smiled back, the lantern lights reflecting off of her eyes, making them look violet.

“Hey.”

“I'm sorry to bother you, but can I sit here?” Jamie shuffled nervously. The girl smiled and stood up, dragging the chair her feet were on next to Jamie so that she could sit down.

“No, it's okay. You're not bothering me.” She watched as Jamie sat down on the chair and cross her legs, resting her hands on her lap. The girl held her hand out to Jamie and spoke softly.

“My name is Alex. What's yours?” Jamie shook her hand, Alex had very soft hands she thought.

“Uh…Jamie.” They were still holding hands.

“Nice to meet you. Jamie. You okay? You seem uncomfortable.” Alex loosened her hand from Jamie's. She looked into Jamie's eyes and noticed how they seemed to stare right into her and yet seem so vulnerable.

“I'm okay. My friends just dragged me here and I really didn't want to come. And on top of that, I'm thirsty and what they have in there doesn't taste very good.”

Alex took the cup she had and slid it to Jamie. Jamie looked at the cup cautiously and back at Alex.

“It doesn't have any alcohol in it, or anything else. It's Coke. You can have it if you want.” Jamie looked at Alex closely with a slight smile on her face.

“How do I know that, Alex?” Alex gave Jamie a serious look.

“Trust me. Go on.”

“No thanks. I'm fine, Alex, really. I'll just wait until I go home.”

Alex shook her head and stared at Jamie. She stood up, walked over to Jamie and extended her hand to her. “Come on.”

Jamie automatically took her hand and was pulled up from the chair. Alex held her hand firmly and opened the glass doors leading back into the house. Once inside, Alex held Jamie by her waist, keeping her close to her as they walked through the crowd.

“Where are we going, Alex?”

“Just stay close, okay?” She spoke into Jamie's ear, over the music. After squeezing through all the bodies, they reached a kitchen across from the living room. Alex turned on the light to the kitchen and let go of Jamie. Alex walked to the fridge and opened it.

“What would you like to drink, Jamie?”

“How did you know where the kitchen was?”

“This is my cousin's house.” Alex took out a liter of coke and a gallon of water, placing them on the counter.

“Your cousin is Michael?” Jamie asked as she walked up to Alex. Alex looked at her and nodded.

“He's my cousin when he's not being a douche bag.” She smiled at Jamie and pointed to both drinks.

“Oh, water is fine.”

Alex poured a glass for Jamie and handed her the cup. She took the glass from Alex's hand, their fingers brushing softly. Alex contemplated Jamie as she drank greedily from the glass. When Jamie was done, she handed the cup back to Alex and smiled.

“Thanks. I guess I was pretty thirsty.”

Alex put everything back into the fridge and turned back to Jamie. They stood there staring at each other.

“You have a very pretty smile Jamie.” That comment made Jamie smile even wider, and she looked down, nervous.

“Thank you.”

“You're welcome.” Alex looked up at Jamie's hair and noticed a leaf hanging from a strand. She walked up closer to Jamie, their faces a few inches apart. Jamie looked up at Alex's face, looking into her eyes.

“What?”

“You have a leaf on your hair.” Alex giggled and removed the leaf, showing it to Jamie.

“See,” She showed the leaf to Jamie then let it fall to the floor. “I just noticed it now.”

They were still inches apart from each other, staring into each other's eyes, their breath mingling as all thoughts seized. Jamie looked down at her hands as Alex intertwined them with her own. Alex tugged Jamie closer to her and whispered in her ear.

“Do you want to go out back again and look at the stars?” Alex looked back into Jamie's eyes. There was a few seconds of a pause, then Jamie nodded.

“Yeah, I'd like that.”

“Cool. Lets go.” Alex once again took Jamie by the waist and led her outside through the crowd. They found their own area of grass to lie down on and both looked at the stars together. Alex taught Jamie a few things she didn't know and Jamie was enjoying it. They stayed there for a few hours talking, and whenever Alex would point to a constellation, Jamie stared at her in wonder, loving the soft tones of her voice. For the first time ever in her life, Jamie had an attraction, and it was to a girl named Alex.

Jamie turned in the bed and looked at the clock. It read two o'clock in big red numbers. “I wanted to kiss you so badly that night,” Jamie whispered to no one. She closed her eyes and fell asleep.

 

***

 

The early morning sun was shining through the hotel windows and was shining directly onto Jamie's face. She was curled on her side hugging a pillow and the sheets were sprawled on the floor. She stretched and turned facing the clock. It was still very early and she knew Clarissa would probably stay sleeping for another hour or two. Jamie stretched once last time and slowly sat up. She stood up from the bed and walked to the bathroom. She stood in front of the mirror and saw how red her eyes were from the lack of sleep during the night.

Jamie turned on the sink and splashed water over her face and gasped at the coldness, but figured it would help with waking her up. After she was finished, she brushed her teeth and tied her hair up into a loose ponytail. Jamie walked back into the room and to her purse that was sitting on the table. She opened it and found the piece of paper Alex had written her number on. I wonder if she's up right now, Jamie thought. She grabbed her phone and walked back to the bed sitting down. Jamie unfolded the paper and stared at it nervously. The numbers seemed to mock her as she stared at them. It was almost as if they were daring her to dial them on her phone. Jamie took a deep breath and started to dial the number. She put the phone to her ear and listened as it began to ring…and ring…and ring.

Maybe she's changed her mind, Jamie thought just as the line was answered. She would have recognized Alex's voice anywhere and it sounded as if she had woken her up.

“Hello?”

“Hi Alex. It's me, Jamie.”

“Hi Jamie! I didn't expect you to call me. It's good to hear from you.”

Jamie smiled and laid back. “I'm sorry if I woke you. Did I wake you?”

There were shuffling noises on Alex's end before she spoke again. “No, it's okay. I was going to get up soon anyway.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yes and I was going to grab some breakfast. I'm at my assistant's house now and he doesn't have a cook, so I'm on my own.”

“You have a cook, Alex?”

“I'm ashamed to say it, but I do. I can't really cook.” Alex laughed softly.

“I remember actually. Like when you tried to prepare a dinner for my 17 th birthday at your parent's house. You almost set the house on fire.” Jamie and Alex both laughed at the memory and then there was silence on the other line. Alex finally spoke up.

“Would you like to go to breakfast with me?”

Jamie was excited that Alex had asked. She wanted to talk more with Alex, but face to face.

“Sure, I'd like that.”

“Great! Where do you live? I can have my driver go and pick you up.”

“Well, I don't live here. I'm staying at a hotel in Manhattan . I'll be here for two more days.”

“Oh…okay,” Alex sounded disappointed to Jamie, “What hotel are you at? My driver can pick you up and we can catch up and talk about things.”

“That sounds perfect.” Jamie gave Alex the address, and once she was off of the phone she ran into the bathroom. Jamie removed her clothes and jumped into a hot shower. Once finished, she quickly got dressed and put on her makeup.

“Hey where are you off to?”

Jamie looked up and saw Clarissa staring at her. Clarissa's hair was disheveled and her t-shirt was twisted around her waist. Jamie continued to brush her hair while Clarissa walked up to her and grabbed the paper that Alex wrote her number on.

“You called Alex?”

“Yeah she's going to have her driver pick me up in a few minutes.”

“Her driver? Where are you going?”

“I don't know. We're going to breakfast somewhere.”

“Breakfast ‘somewhere'? Can I tell you that I'm a little bit jealous?” Clarissa pouted.

“Don't be jealous. I'm sure my mom and John would love your company today.”

“Yeah I guess. What did Alex tell you when you called her?”

“She sounded happy to hear from me. But I think I woke her up.”

“I bet she was happy. I hope you guys talk more about why she decided to all of a sudden show up.”

“Me too.”

There was a knock at the door and Jamie pulled her purse over her shoulder. “That's probably her driver now.” Jamie walked to the door and opened it. Jamie was surprised to see not Alex's driver, but Alex herself standing at the door. She was wearing a long black coat and scarf hanging around her neck. Alex took off the dark glasses she was wearing and smiled.

“Oh my God!” Clarissa yelled, from inside the room.

Jamie and Alex turned to see Clarissa running to the bathroom covering her face with her hands. Jamie turned back to Alex, “She's very surprised to see you, I think…in her pajamas.”

Alex nervously played with the glasses in her hands, grinning. Alex looked Jamie up and down. “I think you're going to want to put on a coat. It's pretty cold outside.”

Jamie looked down at herself, nodding. “Right,” She quickly grabbed her coat that was folded over a chair and put it on, buttoning the front.

“Okay. I'm all set.”

“Do you have a scarf, Jamie?”

“No. I didn't bring one.”

Alex took off the scarf that was around her own shoulders and walked up to Jamie, “Here you go. Take this,” Alex put the scarf around Jamie's neck and tied it for her. “There you go. You'll be nice and warm now.”

Jamie looked up into Alex's blue eyes and was mesmerized by how compassionate Alex was being to her.

“Thanks Alex.”

“You're very welcome.” Alex smiled at Jamie and offered her arm. Jamie looked down and linked her arm into Alex's. Jamie looked up again at her and noticed that Alex's sun glasses were back on.

“I was thinking we could have a nice breakfast at my home. Would you like that, Jamie?”

“I think that sounds great.”

“Good. Lets go.” Alex led Jamie out of the hotel room and Jamie closed the door behind them. They walked quietly down the hall and waited in front of the elevator doors. Alex and Jamie's arms were still linked as the doors opened. They both walked in and Jamie pressed the button for the first floor. Alex knew that paparazzi would be waiting for her downstairs and she wanted to warn Jamie.

“How do you feel about cameras Jamie?”

“Cameras? What do you-” Jamie was interrupted as the doors opened to the first floor lobby and a man came running up to them, a long camera pointed at their faces. Jamie was surprised as the flash went off. She felt Alex's arm loosen around her own and slide around her waist. Alex held Jamie firmly to her as she led Jamie out of the elevator.

“Don't worry about them Jamie. Just hold on to me.”

There were about ten paparazzi in the hotel lobby, snapping away. Alex and Jamie walked slowly passed them to the doors leading outside. Alex smiled, waving at the men.

“What brings you here today Alexandra?” One of them asked as he followed her with his camera. “Who's the pretty lady?”

Alexandra laughed and shook her head at his questions, as if she was really going to answer him truthfully.

“Now, why should I answer that? What's your name?” Alex asked.

“Leo.”

“Leo shouldn't you be chasing the Twilight cast or something?” Alex heard Jamie laugh next to her.

“You're much more interesting Alexandra.” He continued to snap pictures of Alex and Jamie walking out of the hotel and to the waiting vehicle.

Once outside, Alex walked Jamie to her car that was parked by the curb. It was a black SUV with black tinted windows. Max stepped out opening the door for both women. Alex let Jamie enter the car first as Alex followed behind her. Max closed the door, separating them from the mob outside. Alex looked at Jamie who was staring outside at the crowd.

“Sorry about that, Jamie. I meant to warn you.”

Jamie looked at Alex and smiled, shaking her head in disbelief.

“Do you have to deal with them everyday?”

“Yeah, it comes with the territory. There's nothing I can do.” Alex continued to stare at Jamie. She couldn't believe Jamie was next to her, and talking to her. Jamie was as beautiful as ever. Jamie noticed Alex staring at her and cocked her head to the side in question. “What?”

“It's nothing. I'm just happy you're here.”

“I'm happy too, Alex. But we have a lot to talk about.”

Alex nodded in agreement, “We do.”

Max looked back at them through the rearview mirror, his thoughts elsewhere as he drove. Wait until Cindy hears about this. She's not going to be happy at all.

 

To be continued in Part Three

Return to the Academy