To Live Remastered

by

Am21Cards

(E-Mail: Am21Cards@yahoo.com)

I've always wanted to know why Xena & Gabrielle were not involved in the Death of Iolaus/Dahak storyline when Hercules had to confront him. This is my version. I hope you enjoy it. Reviews are always appreciated.

Disclaimer: I own nothing except the non-cannon portion of the storyline.
Genre:Drama and Rated PG-15 to be safe.

Author's Notes- 'Italicized' words represent thoughts and " " quotation marks represent speech .


Chapter #1 -What's Home

 

Greece -

Hercules' mind was racing. It was very early morning, The sun has just risen. Time was already running out The sun would eventually set; and he was running out of options. Ares was nowhere to be found. Hercules knew his half brother wouldn't help him - Ares would rather save his own hide than help anyone else.

Hercules shook his head. He had to clear his mind; he knew that if he didn't calm down, it was that much easier for the enemy to manipulate him. What hurt the most was that he was staring at the enemy.

Through the eyes and in the body of his best friend.

"So? What are you going to do now big boy?" Taunted Dahak-the enemy. He was chained to an altar, with only the sapphire rays of the Stone of Creation keeping him there. It would have to be moved with the sun in order to keep him contained. "When the sun sets, I'm free from these chains; the Stone of Creation will be mine, and I will rule the world." Dahak said, cackling.

"You are not going to win Dahak. You will not get away with this. I won't let you!" Replied Hercules, as he made the decision to leave the temple.

"Won't let me? HA! Hercules, I've already killed your best friend. I can still kill others..."

Hercules turned back around to face Dahak. "I'm going to stop you, no matter what it costs!" Yelled Hercules as proceeded to leave.

"Okay...your loss..." Smirked Dahak.

Hercules walked outside, lush green surrounded him. However, the dark cloud-cover overhead depicted a much different atmosphere. Hercules noticed the sunlight much further in the distance; and wondered if the world would ever see another sunny day again.

He had to do something, but what?

India -

The local marketplace bustled with people; traders, tourists, merchants, and locals this early morning. In India for some time now, Xena and Gabrielle have adjusted thanks to some help from Eli,

However, it wasn't home.

"I love India, it's such a wonderful place! Truthfully though, I can't wait to get back to Greece. What about you Xena?" Asked Gabrielle.

"I couldn't agree with you more Gabrielle." Xena agreed. Addressing Eli, Xena continued. "You'll like Greece Eli. It's quite different from India." Xena finished placing the saddlebags upon her horse (which wasn't Argo), and Eli's things up his horse. They were preparing to leave within the hour, as they were close to the ship port, finally heading home.

Traveling in silence, the trio soon happened upon the port. They noticed how rough the waters were, but didn't think too much of it, instead choosing to focus on their destination.

"I am very excited to go with you two. I've been West before, but have never gotten the chance to go to Greece." Eli replied.

"Well then we'll be sure to have some fun when we get back home." Said Gabrielle enthusiastically, as the three of them; belongings and horses in tow boarded the ship of few travelers.

If only they knew what they would be returning to.

Greece -

' Ares. ' Hercules thought, shaking his head again. He is angered by the God's lack of help, but hardly surprised. Ares lost most of his powers because of Dakak. Currently, as far as Hercules is concerned, Ares is staying as far away from Dahak as he can get. Dahak wants him dead, which would only help him come into the world that much stronger and rapidly.

Hercules was at a loss. He didn't know what to do, or who to ask for help. Dahak already warded off Jason and Zarathrustra; who fought bravely.

Morrigan and Nebula were away in attempts to evacuate any townspeople who remained nearby. They were trying to save as many people as they could from the wrath of Dahak's destruction.

No one abandoned Hercules by any means; he knew the majority of it was all Dahak's doing, and more importantly Dahak's mind games and fear tactics.

Everyone quickly realized Dahak didn't care about them. Dahak wanted this battle to be an epic one between him and Hercules.

Hercules' mind kept going back to Ares, although he couldn't figure out why. The only two powers that Ares had left were invisibility and transporting himself from place to place. ' Ares wouldn't be stupid enough to stick around when Dahak wants to kill him.Would he ?'

Dahak, (despite his track record and what Hercules thinks of him), isn't so quick to kill; despite wanting Ares dead.

And Ares, stupidly (or not, depending on your point of view) realizes something.

Deciding to carefully play a game of chicken, he invisibly and silently enters the temple.

However, before he can appear, or speak a word, Dahak has already sensed his presence.

"You do know that I could, and by all means should kill you right now Ares, yes?"

"Uh.Yes, Dark One." Ares said, a façade of confidence, but very nervous for anyone who has been around the God of War. "But please don't. I have-"

"Silence, Ares." Commanded Dahak, while Ares complied. "Why don't we have a little fun, shall we?" Ares looked at Dahak, a little confused, but remained silent.

"HERCULES! HERCULES!" Shouted Dahak.

"What now, Dahak?" Said an aggravated Hercules, walking back into the temple.

"I've got a secret, I've got a secret!" Taunted Dahak, like a small child. "And what secret would that be?" Hercules asked tiredly, rolling his eyes in the process. "Well Hercules, if I told you, it wouldn't be a secret now would it?" Dahak replied, laughing again as he did so.

After a stern glare, Hercules shakes his head once more, going back outside. Would home ever be the same again?

"Ares, I think we need to get this party going. I should just kill you.that would be the easiest.Hmm." Ares remains invisible, while Dahak contemplates his next move. The God of War wonders yet knows Dahak can sense his fear.

"Even if I were to forever live in Iolaus' body, that's only part of whom Hercules' cares about most. His mother and Jason are out of the way, so it's no use destroying them at this time. We need to do something that will continue to eat at him. Iolaus was just the beginning. I want to see fire in his eyes, the rage that I know he's capable of. But what else aside from taking away his best friend could do that?"

"I have an idea." Ares replied quietly.
"Not now Ares. Your ideas are many, but rarely do they succeed. We do things my way, are we clear?"

"Yes." Ares replied. He quickly left, knowing he will probably get himself killed sooner rather than later, even if it meant helping this evil being.

He knew what he had to do, the consequences be damned.

On Boat not far from Greece -

Poseidon's seas have been particularly rough as of late, with the tides strong, and the rip currents even stronger. He and the majority of the Gods' scattered out of Greece, leaving the seas and the weather in chaos. This would be the last voyage to Greece, at least until the seas calmed. "How are you doing Gabrielle, Eli?" Asked Xena as she approached her two friends.

"Not bad, we're not sick" Replied Gabrielle with a smile.
"I'm surprised, considering the seas are so rough today" Said Eli.
"Well we're almost home, it won't be much longer." Xena replied.

Suddenly the winds from the north and west blew full force, sending the boat into a tailspin past Greece, around Italy and even around the southern portion of what is now known as Spain and Portugal.

From above, an invisible, Ares took what was left of Aeolus' wind bag, and made sure the landed right where he wanted them to, completely shipwrecked, and separated.

Ending up on opposite ends of the destroyed boat, the winds carrying Xena and Eli traveled even further north, while the wind carrying Gabrielle stopped further south.

To Be Continued.

 

Back to the Academy