Disclaimer: The characters of Xena and Gabrielle are the property of Universal and Renaissance Pictures. No copyright infringement is intended.

Warning: This story is alternative fiction. Please do not read if you are under age or if it is illegal to do so in your end of the swamp.

Note: All the flora and fauna described in this story are real, as are the Indian groups and natural topography. They are a collection of descriptions and experiences taken from my own field notes of the area. Cats Paw is being studied as a possible treatment for cancer.


The Dark Matter Corps Series

By Anne Azel

 

The Dark Matter Corps Series

Dark Matter Command: Mission 1

A Beginning

 

Anna sat alone at a large oak boardroom table in Conference Room B of the International Space Command. She was reading over the crew profiles that she had been given. Reading was not actually the correct word. Tall, blond and blue eyed, Anna was good looking by human standards but in reality Captain Anna Cyborn was one of the few A58 Clone-Cyborgs. She was not really reading, rather her photo cells recorded each data page, converted the writing into code, sorted, stored, analyzed and drew logical conclusions in split seconds. Human in most aspects, Anna had cybernetic enhancements that made her a very unique being.

She concluded that her first command was a political gesture, not the breakthrough she had hoped for her kind. Her second conclusion was that her crew were misfits as apparently she also was still viewed. Finally, although she had earned an officer's rank in the International Space Command or ISC, she was never going to wear the uniform. A whole new service had been created just for her to prevent that from happening. As of today she was the only Captain and highest ranking officer in the Dark Matter Corps. By one very sneaky political move everything she had worked for had come to nothing.

The door opened and Rear Admiral Thompson walked in. Anna drew herself to attention and snapped a salute.

“As you were, Cyborn.” Thompson took a seat opposite her. Thompson was a fit, rugged looking man with grey starting to form around his temple. Anna knew that he was a hero of the Hydronian Crisis and a man well respected.

“Yes, sir.” Not Captain Cyborn just Cyborn. Humans found it so hard to see her as an equal.

“You've had time to look over the dossier of your crew?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good.”

“About this new division, sir. Is it necessary?”

Thompson played with his pen not looking up. Anna recognized the sign of human nervousness. He's about to lie or at least evade my question .

“It would appear so.” Thompson sighed. “Not my doing, Cyborn. Others aren't as comfortable with you taking a command. They want you to earn your stripes. You'll be heading out to Space Port Gagarin. You'll be under the command of Vice-Admiral Bart Grover.”

“I have, as you put it, earned my stripes. I graduated top of my class, I've spent eight years on space missions and I've seen combat.”

“Yes.”

“But I'm seen as a Cyborg.”

Thompson hesitated and then sided with honesty. “Yes. No one knows how your crew will react to your command. Grover has concerns.”

“I see.”

“Cyborn, you have every chance here to make a name for yourself. Ninety per cent of the universe is dark matter and we don't know a hell of a lot about it. Your craft will be assigned to various space ships and launched as a probe into areas of black matter to record and map the areas.”

“A probe. The SS Mariner is not a space craft? It's a probe?”

“No, no, it's a space craft. It's small. The size of a large probe.”

“I see.”

“It's a command, Cyborn. You can't expect to be on the bridge of a major star ship on your first command.”

“No, sir. I had hoped though to wear the uniform of the International Space Command.”

Thompson slipped his pen into his inside pocket and stood. Anna came to attention. “I did what I could, Cyborn.”

“Captain Cyborn, sir.”

For the first time Thompson's eyes met hers. He nodded. “Good luck, Captain Cyborn.”

“Thank you, sir.”

 

 

 

A few hours later, Anna stood at the window of her apartment, reviewing what she knew of her crew of four men and four women.

Chief Petty Officer Sue Lai was the oldest and the paramedic aboard. The Chinese-American woman was 50 years old. She'd served with distinction during the Hydronian Crisis but upon return had suffered a physical and mental breakdown. She had not seen active service for two years. She needed five more years to retire on a reasonable pension.

Sub Lieutenant Barron Evmon was 84 by Vultarian years, or 28 by Earth years. She would be the SS Mariner's Communications officer. Todarians had acute hearing and an amazing ability to pick up new languages. They were, however, flighty and romantic and found it difficult to adjust to the discipline of the Service. Evmon, Vultarians put their clan name first, had been disciplined innumerable times for being late, handing in assignments when she felt like it, and not being on task.

Crewman Jill Fairfax, a Canadian, had enlisted at the recommendation of a judge as an alternative to jail. She had dropped out of university in her first year and had been arrested for drug possession, theft, and disorderly conduct. She had done well through training particularly in navigation, but was known to be moody and short tempered. Jill was 23.

Lt. Commander Justice Moshapa was from Botswana. At age 33 he had an excellent record and, although he didn't have a degree and so hadn't done officer training, he'd won a field commission. He might have made Captain if he hadn't lost an arm in an explosion. A prosthetic replaced the missing limb. Normally, he would have received a medical discharge, but his older brother, a significant figure in international affairs, had pulled some strings to keep him in the service.

Lieutenant Adam Wiseman, age 28, was from New York. A brilliant young scientist he had gotten his education through the International Space Command. He was now putting in his five years of service as part of his agreement with Command. Wiseman was not very good at following orders. He resented anything that took him away from his research on dark matter.

Lieutenant Toda was a Gigantean and that said it all. Gigantean males were, on average, two and a half metres tall and built like football players. They had, as a people, an uncanny understanding of machinery. Their large hands could fine tune the smallest mechanisms. Despite their size they would have made excellent Command officers -- if the entire planet of them weren't pacifists. Toda's acceptance into the Command was a political gesture to help cement a treaty with his planet. A note had been added in Toda's file that, although very slow to anger, it was unwise to make a Gigantean angry. Pacifism, it seemed, was the Gigantean way of controlling baser instincts in their society. Toda was 30 by Earth years.

Crewman Aja Sur was a 23 year old East Indian from Bengal. He had done well through his training and had some experience flying trading craft. An environmental activist and known for his strong views, he had been arrested on several occasions at demonstrations.

Anna sighed. Then there was herself. percentSixty percent cloned human and percentforty percent cybernetics. She'd had a laboratory upbringing and struggled to know who she was and be accepted within society. Yes, they were a bunch of misfits who could be an embarrassment to the Command. Rather than create waves by getting rid of them, the Command had simply relegated them to the backwater of space exploration.

Anna's chin tightened. This was the assignment she had been given and she would make a success of it. The International Space Command might not expect much from them, but she planned to make the Dark Matter Corps a service others would envy.

She returned to sit at her desk and looked at the data provided for their first mission. She should review it again. Instead she clicked to a new screen. She wrote.

Service: Dark Matter Marines

Motto: No Boundaries but Honour

Emblem: navy and white symbol representing known space and beyond.

It was a beginning.

 

No Boundaries But Honour

 

Anna arrived at Docking Station Twenty-six aboard the Space Station Gagarin at 1400 hours on 2648.72 relative space/time. The space port smelled. It was considered bad manners to mention it, but Anna's nose twitched in disgust. Air filtration systems worked well and allowed massive ports like Gagarin to exist, but there was still no way to filter out smell. Each craft and space port had its own unique odour. Because of the number of species and races aboard, generally the bigger the facility the greater and more repugnant the smell. Gagarin was a very big station. You got used to the smell after a while and didn't notice, but the first few days were a trial for the sinuous cavity. Anna's appointment with the Vice-Admiral in charge of the base was not until this evening, so she went first to the area where she knew her craft would be docked and reported to the station's Chief Petty Officer.

“I'm Captain Anna Cyborn. I'm here to take command of the HS1-950 dark matter submersible, The Mariner. Here is the necessary release data.” Anne held out a plastic strip of electronic code.

The Chief Petty Officer took it without acknowledging Anna. “When does your commanding human arrive to take possession?”

“I am the commanding officer. I'm here to take possession and that's Captain Cyborn to you, Chief Petty Officer.”

The man stumbled to his feet looking confused and annoyed and stood at attention.

“Yes, sir.”

“Where do I find my ship?”

“Dock 47a, sir.”

 

 

 

Anna nodded and left the docking station office feeling frustrated and concerned. Perhaps ISC was right. Perhaps I can't get the respect I need to command. She let go of these thoughts as quickly as they came. Confidence was the key to success. She would find a way to make her first command work. Getting to ramp 47, she stopped to look out a porthole of the main docking arm at her ship. Her heart sank. It was a probe. ISC had gutted the inside to make it habitable. The HS1-950 was no more than a converted SP-950 deep space probe. She looked across at the Space Ship docked on arm 47b. The Explorer was an old Galaxy A Class. The sort of vessel of which her fellow graduating officers would most likely be taking command. She looked back at the HS1-950 that was dwarfed next to the Galaxy. It was more than humiliating. It was embarrassing.

Anna made her way down the docking arm and pressed the release button to allow her aboard her craft. She climbed down the conning tower ladder into the common room. No amenities here. The craft was basic in the extreme. The colour was basic grey and the smell was more stale and metallic than living. Metal chairs and tables that would accommodate ten individuals were bolted to the floor. The small galley was made of stainless steel, and a media centre had been squeezed in against the opposite bulkhead. She headed through to the bow. The nose cone contained a laser gun and D-class missiles. Behind this area was the operations deck or bridge, a series of centres with secured chairs in front of each. Another sealed hatch led through a bulkhead into the common room at the end of which a hall provided access to six crew quarters one a little larger for the captain. Anna dropped her duffle bag in this room and then continued her tour to the stern. Behind the crew's quarters lay the engine room and engineering station and behind this was the stern weaponry station equipped with twenty year old depth charges. God help us if we ever did run into an enemy.

She made her way back up the narrow hall to the bridge and started booting up each of the stations, running a diagnostic on each. The Mariner was going to need a lot of supplies and work to make her serviceable. Several hours later she became aware someone else was on board. Looking up she saw her Number One, Justice Moshapa stepping through the hatch. He came to attention upon seeing her.

“Lt. Commander Justice Moshapa reporting for duty, sir.”

Anna smiled and moved forward to offer her hand. “As you were, Number One. Welcome aboard. I'm Anna.”

“Justice.”

Justice looked down in surprise. The hand he had grasped was real. Justice laughed.

“So the cyborg has a human hand and the human has a cyborg hand. I think we'll make a good unit. We can borrow parts from each other.”

Anna laughed. It was a relief to know at least her second in command was accepting of her.

“I was delighted to hear that you'd be aboard, Justice. I'm new to command and knowing there is someone with experience and intelligence at my side that I can turn to for help is a big relief.”

“I'll do my best for you.”

An awkward silence followed. Then Anna looked at her new Number One. Time to build some bonds. “We got screwed, you know. They don't want us.”

Justice nodded. “Yes. I know. But this is our lot and we have to make the best of it.”

“We'll do more than that. You and I are going to make this service a legend.”

“I like the sound of that.”

After Justice had stowed his duffle bag in his quarters, the two officers sat in the common room and made a list of equipment that was needed before they left on their mission. Then Anna left to report in to the ISC space port command to pick up her official orders. She left Justice to greet the crew who should be arriving at 1800 hours.

Anna walked towards the outer rim through the corridor inside a spoke of the huge wheel that made up the space port. The docking bays were all close to the centre of the wheel where the artificial gravity was at its lowest level. Living and working areas were on the outer rim where the artificial gravity was closest to Earth's. Anna felt the unsettling sensation of her body getting heavier as she got closer to the outer rim nearly a nautical mile away. She could have taken an elevator but she enjoyed a good walk when she could get one. Following the directions on the wall maps, Anna made her way to the administration section and reported to Vice-Admiral Grover's office.

A female Warrant Officer was at the administrative assistant desk. Anna reported to her.

“Captain Cyborn, C-C056 from ISC Officer's Training to see Vice-Admiral Grover.”

“The Admiral is expecting you, Captain. This way please.”

Anna was ushered in to the Vice-Admiral's office to find to her surprise a fellow classmate already sitting in one of the two chairs before the Admiral's desk. She came to attention.

“Captain Cyborn reporting for duty, sir.”

“As you were, Cyborn. Take a seat. I believe you will recognize Captain Carlos Garcia.”

“Yes, sir. Hello, Carlos.”

“Hello, Anna.”

“Carlos will be commanding The Explorer. It's the Galaxy class vessel that is docked next to your probe.”

“My ship, sir. The SS Mariner. It's not a probe anymore. It's a dark matter submersible.”

“Ah yes. Quite right. Your submersible. At 1100 hours tomorrow you will dock The Mariner in The Explorer's hold. Explorer will take you to your mission site. It's a small mass of dark matter about two million nautical miles from here. You will have a month to explore the area while Captain Garcia is away on manoeuvres. He will pick you up on 2669.51 RST. Make sure you are there. Here are your orders. As the senior officer, anything else you will need to know Captain Garcia will inform you of in due course. That is all, Cyborn.”

For a split second Anna didn't understand what had happened. She managed to get to her feet and salute. Garcia was studying his boots intently and didn't look up. Having dismissed her, Admiral Grover had picked up a file and was going through it, totally ignoring her.

Anna wheeled and left. She didn't go back to her ship. She couldn't, not yet. She needed to calm down first. She didn't know Garcia very well, but she thought him a pretty good guy. He'd got good marks in command training, but Anna had graduated top of the class. Yet Garcia was captaining The Explorer and she was under his command flying a converted probe. It was just too much to bear.

She headed into the station café and ordered a coffee. It grew cold as she sat staring at the table.

“Permission to join you.”

Anna looked up to find Carlos Garcia standing there. She nodded swallowing hard to fight back her emotions.

“I just wanted you to know that I didn't like the way the Vice-Admiral treated you. It was weird, at first, training with a cloned human-cyborg. You know there are a lot of issues for us humans in regards to whether cyborgs should have rights. Truthfully, I don't know how I stand on that argument, but I do know I came to respect you. And although I'm not sure it was fair to have to compete for marks against someone with cybernetic parts, I do know that you always played fair and supported your team.

“For whatever reason, you were the best of our graduating class and I don't like the way you are being treated. If they weren't going to let you wear the uniform they shouldn't have accepted your application in the first place, the way I see it. I know you aren't happy about this, and I know I'm not. This is my first command, and if I make a mistake I have a Cyborg waiting in the damn wings to show me up. So this is how I figure it. You handle your job, and I'll handle mine. Agreed?”

Anne nodded. She respected Carlos's honesty even if she didn't like all he had to say. She'd play by his rules. “Agreed.”

“Buy you a coffee? That one looks pretty dead.”

“No thanks. I need to get back to my ship.”

“I'll see you tomorrow then, Captain.”

“Aye aye, Captain Garcia.”

Anna walked back to her ship. She felt beat up and she hadn't even started her first mission yet. She was used to being treated differently, sometimes even rudely, but she hadn't expected the ISC to turn against her after she had proven herself worthy of wearing the uniform.

Boarding, she climbed down the conning tower into bedlam.

“Captain on board!”

Her crew came to attention then went silent.

“Report, Number One.”

“We've run into a few problems with accommodations, sir. Lieutenant Toda doesn't fit into his assigned room.”

Eyes turned and looked at the massive man taking up most of the corner of the room. At attention his head brushed the low ceilings.

“Oh dear. I'm sorry to be such a nuisance.” Toda's voice was soft and gentle in contrast to his massive, muscled body.

“I see. To start with, everyone sit down.” While the crew quickly slipped into seats around the metal table, she did some fast mental calculating. She remained standing. “Give Lieutenant Toda my stateroom and see what can be done to get a bigger bed for him.”

“Yes, sir. Then Lieutenant Wiseman and Chief Petty Officer Lai have each requested a room separate from their quarters. Lieutenant Wiseman for research and Chief Lai to use as an infirmary.”

Anna thought for a minute. There were only six rooms in all. She'd already had to give up her own larger quarters to Toda. Now this. The next largest room would be Justice's. “I'm afraid, Number One, your room will have to become the infirmary. The sick or injured take priority. We can also set up a small science lab there that can be used by any of us doing research. Lieutenant Wiseman, you'll have to do the bulk of your research in your room, but I'll assign you a room to yourself. That means the rest of us have to double up. Lieutenant Barron and Chief Lai will have one room. Lt. Commander Moshapa and Crewman Aja Sur another, and Crewman Fairfax and myself the last.”

Crewman Fairfax visibly paled. Anna went on. “I know it's unusual to quarter enlisted personnel with officers, but the Dark Matter Corps operates by its own rules. Space is limited and although discipline is important, we are first and foremost a team. Having senior officers with less experienced crew will allow for a close working relationship and greater opportunity for training. Understood?”

“Aye Aye, Captain,” they chorused.

Anna looked at her crew. By the expressions on their faces ranging from annoyed to shocked, she didn't think they understood at all. The politically correct speech she had prepared was discarded. The crew might be an mix of misfits, but they weren't stupid. She struggled to find the words to get her crew off to a good start.

“No boundaries but honour. That ladies and gentlemen will be our motto. As you are aware we will not be wearing the uniform of the ISC, but our own. Our new uniforms will arrive today. I have designed our badge and I understand our uniforms will be navy as opposed to the sky blue of ISC. I will be blunt. For one reason or another we have been found to be unacceptable to the ISC, and they have avoided political unpleasantness by forming this little service. But we are going to prove to them that belonging to the Dark Matter Corps is an honour that only the best get to achieve. We have been handed the last of the great unknowns in this sector, the dark matter belts. We are going to go without fear and without prejudice into that great unknown and make history. We are the Dark Matter Corps and we have no boundaries but the honour of our service that we will always up hold.”

For a minute there was silence then Toda rose like a mountain and loomed over them. He placed his right fist over his heart and started to pound his chest. “Dark Matter Corps. Dark Matter Corps. Dark Matter Corps.”

The others stood and followed suit, chanting as they beat. “Dark Matter Corps. Dark Matter Corps. Dark Matter Corps.”

Anne smiled and nodded proudly. Their first tradition had been established. “You have fifteen minutes to stow your gear. Then report back here for your first mission.”

The crew was on its feet and moving, mostly around Toda, but at least they were obeying orders willingly. It was a start. Justice stood, but remained behind.

“Mission?”

“The Mariner is useless in its present state. We have no science lab, no medical facilities, and only the basics in communications and weaponry. We have approximately fifteen hours to change that situation.”

Justice smiled. “Oh, a covert mission.”

“Our code of honour prevents us from stealing, but we can come as close as possible to that line without crossing it.”

By 2000 hours the crew had been briefed and had disappeared in various directions to do what they could to improve their vessel before departure, each realizing that there were no boundaries but honour.

 

Dark Matter Cargo

 

At 0100 hours Anna was busy inventorying what the crew had brought and allotting it to various storage units and sections. Wiseman was the first one back pulling a large cargo waggon loaded with cardboard boxes.

“Lieutenant Wiseman requesting permission to come aboard.”

“Granted. Let me give you a hand. Why don't you pass those boxes down to me?”

“Yes, sir.”

Together they quickly got the dozen or so boxes stacked in the common room.

“What do you have here?”

“All together a pretty good science lab. It's mine. I've been collecting, swapping, building, and buying, equipment for years. I never thought it was so I'd have to use it to equip my own ISC lab.”

“You'll have to share with the others, understand that. That said, you have my word, I'll replace any equipment that is worn out or damaged.”

Wiseman looked momentarily upset. He was not a man used to sharing. Then he nodded. The Captain was meeting him halfway.

“Yes, sir. Request permission to be in charge of the science lab and set the rules.”

“Subject to my approval, granted.”

Next down the ladder was Sue. She too had come laden with goods, in this case medical supplies.

“I didn't steal them,” she protested as she passed box after box down to them. “I went to the paramedics and nurses at the base hospital and the three clinics, explained that we were going on what amounts to a suicide mission with no medical supplies, and begged for assistance. Everyone was very generous in stealing supplies and passing them on to me. With this lot, I could even do some surgery.”

“Are you qualified to do surgery?”

“Well no, but I could.”

Anne looked at Wiseman and he shrugged. “You didn't say we couldn't receive stolen goods.”

Jill arrived next and was lowered down the conning tower on Toda's long arm.

“Crewman Fairfax and Lieutenant Toda reporting, sir. I would just like to go on record as saying I have no idea what he's got but I think it could destroy the universe.”

Toda's large head appeared. “Nonsense. It is just basic equipment that an engineer would want to have on hand. Spare parts, tools, and a few defensive weapons. We do want to be prepared now, don't we.”

Several pieces of strange looking apparatus started to be lowered down the conning tower. “Don't drop anything, please. We wouldn't want an explosion now, would we.”

The three belowdeck exchanged looks.

“We got some of this stuff from the classified weaponry area,” Fairfax explained.

Anna frowned and looked up the ladder. “Lieutenant, was any of this cargo stolen?”

“Oh, sir! I would never steal. But we engineers do have a rather informal bartering system.”

“What did you bargain with?”

“The printouts of your cyborg units. I have to tell you they were a much sought after commodity. There aren't many cyborgs in this area of space and naturally all us engineers are simply fascinated by you.”

Anna felt the blood rising up her face. “You traded my personal medical files?”

“Only the cyborg ones. I got them off the ship's database before I left.”

Anna gritted her teeth. She had after all told them to push the limits to get what they needed. “In future discuss such decisions with me.”

“Yes, sir. Please be gentle with these Boson bombs.”

“I thought he was a pacifist?” Wiseman smiled.

“I am. These are strictly for defence” came a voice from above.

Sometime later, Moshapa and Sur arrived with some pretty good navigation and communication equipment salvaged from the spare parts deposit. These too were stored in appropriate places until there was time to integrate them into The Mariner's systems.

The only one missing now was Barron. Knowing her rather flighty nature, Anna wondered if she'd made a mistake in sending her off on such a questionable and open-ended assignment. A few hours later, however, Barron returned, grinning with delight.

“I have everything we need. Music, a wide range of specialized foods to supplement the basic supplies, games, and posters for our walls. It's truly amazing what you can find at the pawn shops and market at rock bottom prices.”

Anna looked at the mound of junk in dismay. “What did you use for money?”

“Money? Oh I just charged everything to the ISC.”

Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at Barron in shock. She looked back in confused innocence.

“Did I do something wrong?”

Then Justice laughed and they all joined in.

“Wait until they try to balance this month's budget at headquarters.”

“Fortunately, we'll be long gone by then.”

Anna had been wrong. The cargo Barron brought aboard proved to be very important and very much needed. While they found places for the remaining cargo, Barron busied herself rearranging the basic food allotment to make room for what she had brought. Then she set about making them a meal of Thai-style stir fry over rice. She had even bought a bottle of nonalcoholic wine for them to share and a purple drink that came from Toda's home planet. Toda was moved and said so.

After supper, Barron gave out posters to everyone for their quarters. Fairfax got a poster of the Rocky Mountains. Wiseman of a distant solar system. Toda was given a diagram of the new propulsion engine. Lai a restful forest scene with Peace is all around us if we look printed on it. Sur's poster was of an endangered species of lizard and Justice got a poster of a herd of African elephants. Barron proudly held up the one she had picked for herself of a flower garden. Then she reached for a large bag she'd kept by her chair all through dinner.

“Captain Cyborn has given us reason to hope that we can make something of our careers and prove to ISC that we are a special and important service. This is Captain Cyborn's first command and I wanted her to have something to remember us by when she is an Admiral and working out of ISC Central. Getting this done was what took me so long getting back.”

From the bag, Barron pulled a framed photo of The Mariner and in ovals around the edge were pictures of herself and each of the crew members. She passed it over to Anna who took it with surprise. Then Barron raised her glass. “To Captain Cyborn.”

Everyone stood. “Captain Cyborn.”

Anna rose slowly to her feet. “I have to tell you that the last few days have been hell. I struggled to find a way to turn a bad situation into something positive for us. Frankly, I doubted if we could do it. I have no doubt now. I have the best crew that any Captain could command. Thank you.

“This is the beginning of the Dark Matter Corps and I think it's a fine beginning. Mind you, I think that some of what we have stowed away today had better remain our secret. We'll just call it dark matter cargo.”

They laughed and then Anna ordered them all to get some rest as they would have to land in The Explorer's docking bay in less than three hours.

 

The Secret Society of the Dark Matter Corps

 

Two hours later their uniforms arrived. Anna went immediately to her cabin to change, wanting to set an example for the others. She noted Fairfax held back, waiting, she supposed, to give her privacy. Anna changed quickly and then went forward to the bridge. For the first time she sat in the command seat. It was a funny feeling. She felt like a schoolgirl who dared to sit at the teacher's desk. Over the next half hour her crew arrived wearing their new navy blue jumpsuits.

“Engineering, power up systems. Lieutenant Barron, request permission to dock with The Explorer. Crewman Sur, take the helm. Crewman Fairfax, take the navigation seat.”

“Systems powered.”

“The Explorer is standing by, Captain. We are authorized for landing in Hangar Bay Three.”

“Crewman Fairfax, release the mooring cables.”

They heard the mooring cables retract and felt the gentle sway of their craft in space.

“Your command, Number One.”

“Yes, sir. Ahead one, Helm.”

“Aye, aye. Ahead one.”

Slowly and carefully, Moshapa manoeuvred The Mariner out of its docking bay, around the docking arm and into the large hangar bay of The Explorer. They touched down softly and quietly. Anna resisted a sigh of relief. The last thing she needed on their first day was to embarrass themselves.

“The Mariner has landed, Captain.”

“Power down and execute the deck locking procedures, Number One. Then I want everyone to their quarters to make up on some lost sleep. I'll be with Captain Garcia making arrangements for our passage.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

Anna worked her way to the common room and waited for the all clear signal indicating the cargo bay had been sealed and pressurized. Then she climbed to the ladder of the small conning tower and opened the hatch. She pulled herself up on the deck and waited for the landing crew of The Explorer to bring over the descent ladder. She watched and listened. They were clearly not aware how acute a cyborg ears were.

“Damn thing is just a probe with cyborg parts.”

“Nah, it's got some humans aboard. It's a new service that they formed for losers. If you can't make it in the ISC, they stick you in these dark matter probes.”

The other guy laughed. “Expendables.”

Anne stood straight, legs apart and arms folded, and looked down at them. “Your information is wrong, gentlemen. We are the Dark Matter Marines. An elite group of explorers that go where the regular fleet fears to go. We are the best of the best. Our motto is No Boundaries but Honour.”

The two looked up with startled eyes as they pushed the descent ladder into place.

“Yes, sir!”

That should start some positive rumours. Anne descended and waited for the crew member that would take her to Captain Garcia. I need to take some steps to make sure my crew doesn't hear these negative remarks. Their confidence would soon be shattered if they are held up to ridicule while on board.

Several minutes later, she had greeted Captain Garcia and had taken a seat in his ready room. She looked around. By Star Ship standards the room was pretty basic with its table and chairs and small computer centre. Still, it was down right luxurious compared to The Mariner. Not only did she not have a ready room, she didn't even have her own quarters.

Garcia had the decency to look uncomfortable as he opened the screen in front of him. “I have your orders here. It's pretty straight forward. You are to map the size and structure of the dark matter mass and take readings to see what its composition is.

Anna forced a smile. It was busy work. The mass had been mapped and analyzed by probes long ago and Captain Garcia knew it. He handed her the downloaded orders and quickly went on.

“I have prepared quarters for you and your crew. Also if you want, Anna, your crew members can be assigned to positions on board to give them a few extra months Star Ship experience while we are en route.”

“That is very decent of you, Carlos, but you understand that there are orders and there are orders. I felt it was imperative that we leave star base under a cloak of secrecy. Hence the converted probe. My crew will be busy with training exercises while on board. The nature of those exercises I'd rather not reveal. If it is possible, I would like you to order that Hangar Bay Three is off limits to your personnel unless otherwise authorized.”

Garcia looked startled. Red climbed up his neck. “Of course. I should have known with your ISC training performance that you were earmarked for something special.”

Anne shrugged. “Just routine for the DMC. If it is possible, we would like meals delivered to the hangar. I think you realize with the specialized equipment we need that we can't carry much on board in the way of luxuries, and I don't want to diminish our supplies before our mission begins.”

“Certainly, Captain Cyborn.”

Captain Cyborn. Anne liked the sound of that. At last she was getting some respect even if it was based on misinformation. No matter what, she was going to live up to the lie she had just told Garcia and make this mission one of significance.

Anna stood. “I think that about covers it then, Carlos. I can find my own way back.” She offered her hand.

Carlos stood and after only the slightest hesitation took Anna's hand. “I don't know what you are up to, Captain, but good luck. If The Explorer can be of any help you have only to ask.”

“Thank you, Captain Garcia. You have the trust and respect of the DMC.” Anna took her leave. She didn't feel good about deceiving Garcia, who had gone out of his way to overcome his prejudices and treat her and her crew fairly. A lie was not a good way to establish the reputation and honour of her ship. She and her crew would have to live up to Anna's tales or look like fools.

She went straight back to The Mariner and climbed aboard. “Lt. Commander Moshapa, I need to see you in my ready...the infirmary.”

“Aye aye, sir.”

Anna paced around the small area while Moshapa waited patiently for her to compose herself.

“I just lied to Captain Garcia. I'm not comfortable with that, but it seems our mission is to map the size and composition of the dark matter mass. In short, we don't have a mission. Already we are known aboard The Explorer as losers and expendables. I can't allow that. We are going to create our own mission. I'm not sure yet what it will be, but circumstance will provide opportunities, I'm sure. This means we will be bending if not disobeying orders. I'm telling you so if you want to transfer off The Mariner you can.”

Moshapa thought for only a minute. “In my culture, family and clan are very important. It defines who you are. It is the roots on which your family tree grows. Fate has made me a Dark Matter Marine. Where you go. I go. You need me.”

Anna smiled. “Yes, I do. Already, I'm getting us into hot water.”

“The crew?”

Anna frowned. “I'm not going to lie to them, but I am going to mislead them. They need to believe in themselves and be proud of their ship and duty. Is that so wrong?”

“Normally, I'd say it is always wrong to lie to or mislead your crew. Sometimes you can't always tell them the truth but you shouldn't lie to them. But this is a different situation. If we are going to make the Dark Matter Corps a service of importance, then we have to take some risks.”

Anna relaxed. “Thanks for your support, Justice.”

“I'm watching your back, Anna.”

Anna followed Justice out the Infirmary hatch and ran into a living wall.

“Permission to talk to the Captain,” Toda requested.

“Granted.” Anne stepped back into the room and got in the corner while she waited for the Gigantean to squeeze through the hatch.

“Oh my, they do make these things small but not to worry our next ship will be much more suited for my bulk.”

Anna smiled. “Do you think the DMC will be getting a new ship?”

“Certainly, I'm already designing it. That is what I want to talk to you about, Captain.”

“Building a new ship?”

“No, sir. Redesigning this one. Frankly it's very ugly. It looks like a converted SP-950 deep space probe.”

“That's what it is.”

“Yes, but it's bad for our image. I think with a little nip here and tuck there I can turn this vessel into something that would make a Gigantean's eyes light up.”

“In two months? With all the other renovations we have to get done?”

“Please, Captain. I'll only work on it on my own time and Jill and Evmon have promised to help, and I know the others will pitch in once they know what we're up to.”

“Will any of these design modifications in any way compromise the integrity of the vessel?”

“No, sir. It will be strictly cosmetic. I have a rough sketch right here.” Toda dug deep into a pocket and unfolded a large piece of paper. There was a accurate sketch of The Mariner as it was and below what could only be described as a beautiful mean machine.

Anna looked closer. “It has the look of a shark. The conning tower looks like a top fin and the lateral jets are fin-shaped, too.”

Toda smiled lovingly at the sketch. “I always feel that organic lines are the most powerful. I was a little uneasy with the predator motif but sometimes a threatening bluff can be used as an alternative to violence. I'm opposed to violence.”

Anna resisted the urge to smile at Toda's unusual logic. Toda would take some getting used to. “Did you do these drawings? They are beautiful.”

“Oh no. I did a rough sketch and Evmon, that is Lieutenant Barron, did these for me. She's very talented.”

“Well, Lieutenant, if it's only cosmetic and it doesn't take you or anyone else away from your regular work, then proceed.”

“Oh thank you, thank you, Captain. You won't be disappointed. The Mariner will be simply beautiful.”

“Good. Anything that enhances our imagine, I'm all for.”

“One other thing, Captain.”

“Yes.”

“You can't imagine how excited I was to learn my commanding officer was a cyborg. I've studied all the manuals. If you ever have any problems just come to me. I can't wait to get my hands on you.”

Anna took a step back and felt her muscles tense in defence before she realized that the Toda saw her as a wonderful machine with which to tinker. She forced herself to control her temper with difficulty.

“Lieutenant Toda, I am not a cyborg. I'm 60percent percent cloned human and 40percent percent cybernetics. All of those cybernetic parts are working at peak performance and will continue to do so long after the human frame starts to deteriorate. Under no conditions will you ever put your hands on me or any of my cybernetic parts and that, Mister, is an order.”

“Yes, sir.”

“And another thing don't ever share my medical readouts with anyone again.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Dismissed.”

“Yes, sir.”

Anna leaned against the table and took deep breaths until she had herself under control again. Then she laughed. That was the strangest proposition that she'd ever had. Poor Toda must be feeling bitterly disappointed to discover that his commanding officer was off limits.

The next eight weeks and two days were a whirlwind of activity. Drills were run, classes held, exercises performed, new equipment installed and cosmetic work completed on The Mariner. The crew willingly worked double shifts and the mysterious activities of the DMC were becoming the talk of The Explorer. The galley crew, usually ignored except to throw abuse at during meal times, had become the centre of attention as they relayed information back on the glimpses they got into Hangar Bay Three when they delivered meals.

“They have equipment spread out all over the floor. It looked like really technical stuff and advanced weaponry, too.”

“They're making changes to the structure of The Mariner. I think it must have been in disguise, and now they are revealing its real shape.”

“I overheard someone say something about a secret mission. These guys are really serious stuff.”

“I mean, I just get a quick look in as I pass the food waggon through. No one gets in that Hangar unless you are wearing the navy blue of the DMC elite.”

Very early one morning, near the end of their voyage aboard The Explorer, Anna quietly got washed and dressed and stole from her cabin. Crewman Fairfax and she seemed to have worked out a unspoken system of avoidance. Needing less sleep than her fellow crew members, Anna came to bed after Jill and got up before her. If Anna was in their quarters, Jill avoided them. It wasn't exactly what Anna had in mind when she had re-allotted the rooms but it seemed to be working for them. Jill was clearly not comfortable sharing accommodations with her captain.

Anna climbed up through the conning tower hatch to the deck and down the new escape ladder. She walked to the other side of Hangar Bay Three and looked back at her craft. It was simply beautiful. Toda's so called nip and tuck had changed an ugly probe into a lean, graceful space craft. The emblem of the DMC was stencilled proudly below The Mariner's name and below that was neatly printed their motto. As she stood there, she saw Moshapa pull himself up on deck and a moment later he joined Anna.

“It's pretty amazing, isn't it?”

Anne nodded. “Breathtaking, Justice. I can't believe it's the same craft. I knew Gigantean's were good with machinery but I had no idea how quickly and efficiently they could work.”

“Lieutenant Toda tells me that Crewman Fairfax would make an excellent engineer. It seems she understands that machines have a life of their own and can talk to them.”

Anna chuckled. “Maybe we've been isolated too long if Fairfax is starting to talk to various parts of the craft. I think everyone aboard has really pushed the envelope to meet our goals.”

“Lieutenant Wiseman didn't do too much.”

Anna shrugged. “Toda said he's all thumbs. Wiseman has put a lot of work into researching the dark matter we will be travelling through and has suggested some mission goals that we could take on. In a small group, everyone has to find their place and role. Wiseman works best alone using his mind rather than his hands.”

“I can't disagree with that, Anna.”

“I was just thinking, that we should have an open house. The Explorer has been pretty supportive. We can't let anyone aboard, that would dispel the myth we have created, but there is no reason why we couldn't let the crew of The Explorer have a look at the outside of The Mariner. We could set up some tables in the hangar and serve some refreshments. What do you think?”

Justice smiled. “I think that would be a very positive step. It would be a nice thank you for the ride and will build some bonds between the two crews. Hopefully the redesigned Mariner will help to dispel the last of our negative image.”

“I'll clear it with Captain Garcia but let's aim for tomorrow at 1000 hours then. Dress uniforms. Have Lieutenant Barron arrange the refreshments. She's good at that sort of thing.”

“Aye aye, sir.”

The next day, Anne had slipped into her jacket and was straightening her tie when Jill hurried into the cabin to shower and change.

“Oh, sorry, Captain.”

“Crewman?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Get in here.”

“Yes, sir.”

Crewman Fairfax was petite yet physically fit. She had dark green eyes and brunette hair that she wore short, same as most women in the ISC. Short hair wasn't so much a style choice as it was a practicality.

“Crewman, this is just as much your quarters as it is mine. It's okay for you to be in here when I am.”

Fairfax's face was beet red as she stood at attention. “I was just trying to give you privacy, sir.”

“First, in these quarters, we won't stand on ceremony. No saluting or standing at attention. Perhaps too you could call me Captain rather than sir. Second, my body is cloned-human. Only some of my organs have been replaced or modified with cybernetic parts. I am not going to be embarrassed about you walking in on me. This vessel is very close quarters and by the time this tour of duty is over, we are all going to know each other very well.”

“Yes, Captain. Thank you. Permission to speak freely.”

“Granted.”

“That uniform looks great on you. I was really upset when I found out that I wouldn't be wearing the ISC uniform but you know what? Ours is better.”

“I'm glad you think so. I'd better get a move on. Sometimes Lieutenant Barron needs a modifying influence on her enthusiasm.”

Jill laughed, and they parted on more relaxed terms.

Lieutenant Barron had indeed pulled out all the stops. There were plates of cheese and crackers, of squares and cookies, and even a choice of red and white wines. A recording of Bach's Brandenburg Concerto played softly in the background, and a banner on the wall read “Thank You to Everyone Aboard The Explorer.”

“Well done, Lieutenant Barron. How did you manage all this?”

“The food was simple. My cousin is in the galley of The Explorer and he owed me for letting him have peeks in when he brought our meals.”

“Good bargaining. The banner and music?”

“Lieutenant Wiseman made the banner and it's his music, too. He wired it through the Hangar's intercom system.”

“Wiseman? Well, well, still waters do run deep.”

Barron laughed. “He'll do anything to get me to go away and stop pestering him.”

Anna laughed, too.

Captain Garcia and Anna had agreed to have the social overlapping a shift change so that as many of The Explorer's crew who wanted to could come down and meet the crew of The Mariner. Quite a crowd did just that.

Anna watched anxiously at first, but soon relaxed as she saw her crew getting the respect they deserved. In fact, Lieutenant Toda told her in passing that one young engineer aboard The Explorer had actually asked how one went about applying for service with the DMC.

Captain Garcia came up beside her as Lieutenant Toda moved off.

“I can't believe it's the same ship. It's small but a fine looking craft. Looks like you are planning to get pretty close in. I hear the manoeuvrability of The Mariner is state of the art.”

“I have Lieutenant Toda. He is one of the best in terms of design and construction.”

“You seem to have an outstanding crew. Hand picked are they?”

“They stood out from the others for many unique reasons. I'm proud of them, but they will have to prove themselves over the next few months.”

“I envy you.”

“Me?”

“Sure. You are going on a real mission. My orders are to get you there and back and to fill in my time in between doing standard manoeuvres with several other Galaxy-class ships. I might have the bigger ship and crew, but I'm still doing training sessions while you're out there on the cutting edge.”

Anna blushed. “Mariner's tour might be very routine. We'll just have to see what is out there.”

“Still, two months exploring inside an unknown region. That's pretty exciting.”

“Not too exciting, I hope.”

“I won't pry. It's become general knowledge that the DMC plays by its own rules and its missions are secret. I do have one question though that I hope you can answer.”

“What is that?”

“Is it true that DMC members belong to a secret society?”

Anna smiled. “I suppose you could say that. We are a small group, yet we have some fine traditions that have melded us together into a strong unit.”

“Good leadership. I'm impressed, Captain Cyborn.”

“Thank you, Captain Garcia. It has been a pleasure to serve with you. Hopefully, in two months time we can do this again.

“I look forward to it and to hearing more about your mission.”

 

Voyage Into The Unknown

 

Two days later, The Explorer stopped 50,000 miles from the dark mass that The Mariner was to chart. Crew members eagerly sought glimpses of the large cloud mass through portals, speculating on what the Mariner might be researching within. Those aboard the Mariner went through their last checklists making sure that everything was A-Okay for their mission. At 2725.03 relative space/time they watched the bay doors of Hangar Three open and Anna gave the order for their craft to release its docking clamps and move out into open space. The entire crew was on the bridge and Anna could sense their excitement and nervousness.

“Mariner is clear of The Explorer, Captain.”

“All ahead at five units, Crewman.”

“Aye aye, sir.”

“Ladies and gentlemen, we are about to make history. Might I suggest we all stop staring out the viewing port and get to our stations. There's work to be done.”

After that it was just routine. For eight hours Anna was on the bridge. Then Moshapa would take over for eight hours. The remaining eight hours was taken by one of the junior officers on a rotation basis. For the most part Mariner was on automatic pilot following coordinates input to the Mariner's computer on a daily basis. This meant that a skeleton crew of two could manage the bridge and allow the others time for research, sleep or relaxation. Toda, as the only engineering officer, set his own hours and would request Fairfax when he needed extra help.

Several weeks later, The Mariner was closing in on the dark matter. Anna had called a meeting of the crew and asked Lieutenant Wiseman to do an overview for them of what they might expect. The crew had all been busy doing their own research and observations, of course, but Anna wanted Wiseman to focus and coordinate their scientific endeavours.

“It goes without saying that we were a long time recognizing and understanding dark matter. We knew it had to be out there because research indicated a flat universe that was expanding. If that was the case there had to be more mass in the universe than we had originally thought. Otherwise gravity would pull us all back into a Big Crunch. Also our observation of distant galaxies showed that light was being bent by an unseen force. Scientists speculated that it was the gravity of dark matter.

“As you know, dark matter is stuff that we can't see from a distance such as brown dwarfs, stars that never reached a critical mass high enough for a nuclear process to get going. White dwarfs, medium sized stars that are slowly burning out, and black holes, stars big enough that when they died they went supernovae and became super dense.

“The problem is that there is other stuff, too, like that cloud mass out there. Readings indicate that it's a cloud formed from hydrogen and helium or star stuff. But several probes disappeared after recording increased gravitational force and possibly evidence of neutralinos which are a sort of large neutrino. In short, we don't know what is going on inside.”

“Thank you, Lieutenant Wiseman,” said Anna and then went on.

“We could play it safe and map the exterior edge of this phenomenon gathering what data we can in the process. That would meet the expectations that ISC has for the DMC. I'm suggesting that we head in and really see what is going on in there, even though that means risk for this ship and crew. I'm going to ask you to speak freely.”

It was Chief Lai who spoke first. “There is nothing in there that could be an worse than what I have lived through already. I came back from sick leave to be on active duty again. I'm for going in.”

Wiseman flipped his pen in the air and caught it. “For me, this is my chance to get off a space ship and into a real lab where I can do some significant work. The data we might gather in there could make my career. I'm for going in.”

“Well, I'm an engineer not an explorer but where this ship goes, I go. She needs me,” stated Toda.

Barron sighed dramatically. “I can't communicate with neutralinos, so I'm not sure what good I'll be on this mission. But really, people, we can't go back without doing something after all the rumours we helped create. We'd be a laughingstock again.”

“Crewman Sur?” Anna asked, making sure the junior crew knew they had a right to their say.

“There are risks with space exploration, I accept that. We go, I say.”

Anna's eyes turned to Fairfax.

“This is my first mission. I'd rather not die, so let's make it a success.”

Anna smiled and her eyes went to her First Officer. “Lt. Commander Moshapa?”

“I think we all know the risks. We could have played it safe and stayed in the backwater of space exploration, but right from day one we were committed to making the DMC a respected, elite group. Now we have to live up to all that big talk.”

Anna nodded. “Then we go. Number One, set our course. Ladies and gentlemen, stations please, we are going in.”

The next few weeks were disappointing. The Mariner travelled through a thin cloud of hydrogen and helium. The farther they travelled into the mass the less clearly they could make out the star clusters until darkness was all around them.

Morale was low and boredom set in. Anna sat in the command seat rethinking a conversation she'd had with Chief Lai before coming on duty that morning.

“I'm concerned about the crew, Captain. Especially, the younger ones. We know that space travel is 90 percent boredom with 10 percent total terror added in. But the younger crew expected more. We are all starting to get cabin fever, but them more than most.”

“I did notice that Lieutenant Wiseman has become more antisocial than usual.”

“He thinks he's brilliant and this mission was going to make him a famous name in science. He might be not cut out for ship duty.”

“He certainly feels he could do better with an Earth posting, but he is an excellent scientist.”

“Crewman Fairfax is having trouble sleeping.”

Anna nodded. “That can be a problem in space for humans I've heard. I don't think she is very comfortable sharing a room with me either.”

“You need to get to know her. In fact, you need to get to know all the crew better.”

“I've read their files.”

“Not the data, sir. Them. Take an interest like Moshapa does.”

“Does he?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, I'll make a greater effort. It's difficult. When a fellow human asks a question, people think they are taking an interest. When I ask a question they think I'm collecting data and analyzing it.”

“Aren't you?”

Anna laughed. “I've learned not to store what most humans tell me. Otherwise I'd have been on overload long ago.”

“Permission to speak frankly, sir.”

“Granted.”

“You are human. You just have a lot of cybernetic parts. You need to learn to mix with your own.”

Anna felt a sadness build inside her. She quickly deleted it from her thoughts. “I met my clone-mother once. She is Doctor Edith Bissell, a leader in genetic research. She looked me up and down and said, “Satisfactory. Very satisfactory”, then she left. I will never be treated as a human. I went from being an interesting cloning experiment to an interesting cybernetic experiment under Doctor Lars Brunn. Frankly, I consider myself lucky that I was allowed to leave a lab and start a life for myself. Of course, I'm being monitored. I'm still an experiment.”

Anna noted that Chief Lai seemed to hold back for a split second before expressing her views on the situation, as if she was searching for the right words. “I would think it a flagrant violation of your rights, if they hadn't allowed you to have a life of your own. The moral and ethical issues involved in that very questionable research were staggering. It's just as well that it was outlawed. Captain, you have won the respect of your crew. Now you need to make them accept you as a human. It's a small start, but it is a start.”

Anna nodded although she was not convinced. “Whatever the moral or ethical issues, the experiments did give me life. I'll work on bonding better with my crew.”

Anna pulled herself back from her thoughts and checked her command readouts to make sure everything was okay. Then she looked over at the helm station where Crewman Sur sat sharing the watch with her.

“Crewman Sur, I understand you are from Bengal.”

“Yes, sir. I'm Bengali. My father was a merchant. He decided because I was good at school that I would study science at university.”

“I understand you have been very active in environmental issues.”

“I would have liked to take a post-graduate degree in botany, but my father insisted that I study at the International Space Command. He felt having an astronaut from our region would bring much prestige to Bengal and our family. I am the first astronaut in my family, but not the first from India, of course.”

“Your father has shaped your life. Mine was not much different. Scientists shaped mine, but I at least got to live my dream and train with the ISC.”

“You, then, are lucky. My home is not far from Kolkata that the British once called Calcutta. It's one of the most overpopulated places in the world. The city sits on the Ganges delta and not far away is the Sundarmans, a massive area of mangrove swamp, where you can still find a few wild Bengal tigers. I wanted to spend my life protecting them. Instead, I am here.”

“We need environmentalists on space, too, Crewman Sur. We don't want to be taking the mistakes we made on Earth out into the universe. I hope you will feel free to be my environmental conscience aboard the Mariner.”

“If I were, Captain, I would have advised that we just to leave this region alone.”

“Why didn't you?”

“Because it will have to be explored, and better by us than a Star Ship.”

“Point taken.”

“Captain, I'm starting to see dust particles increasing in number in the gas cloud. Also the gravitational pull is starting to increase.”

“Steady on at two units thrust, Crewman.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

 

 

 

At the end of her shift, Anna turned over her bridge to Moshapa. “We're running into more dust debris and the gravitational force is rising. I've slowed us down to two units of thrust. Call me if there is any change in our situation.”

“Aye, aye, Captain.”

Anna leaned closer to Moshapa. “Do you play chess?”

“Sure, but if you think I'm playing against you, you are mistaken.”

“I thought maybe we could have a chess tournament. I'll be the chess master and take the rest of you on.”

“Even at seven against one we wouldn't have much of a chance, but it might be fun. I'll ask Lieutenant Barron to arrange it.”

“Thanks.”

Feeling that she'd made a start at bonding with her crew, Anna spent her evening taking her turn with general maintenance and cleaning of their craft. When she finally did turn in, she found Fairfax was already sound asleep.

Fairfax. Anna saw very little of her even though they were living on a very small ship together. She tended to take the graveyard shift when a junior officer was on the bridge and she spent more and more time with Toda in engineering. They made a ridiculous looking pair for Fairfax was petite, and she looked even more so next to Toda.

Anna decided that she must make an effort to learn more about her roommate. Then she drifted off to sleep.

 

I'd Rather Not Die so Let's Make It a Success

 

Several hours later, Anna awoke to a bang that shuddered through the ship. The breach siren went off and the hatches locked automatically into place. Anna was on her feet before she was even aware of the hiss of air venting out and the sudden drop of pressure and warmth from their cabin. The skin of their craft had a layer of soft foam that would close and reduce leakage for a small time but immediate action was needed if they were to survive.

The breach in their bulkhead was only the size of a grain of sand, but it would kill them if she didn't work quickly. She pulled the emergency sealer package from the wall and ripped it open. Already it was hard to breathe and she was shivering with cold.

Suddenly, Fairfax was beside her, fitting an oxygen mask on her face and wrapping a blanket around her. As Anna pushed the doughy plug into place, Fairfax cut the pressure seal sheeting to size and peeled off its paper back. Anna took it and pressed it firmly over the plugged hole, making sure there were no air pockets. Meanwhile, Fairfax was cutting a larger sheet to go on top.

They finished the job in less than three minutes from when the object had torn through their wall. Then they stood side by side as their heart rates returned to normal. Anna finally lowered her mask.

“You okay?”

“Yes, sir.”

Anna placed her mask back in place and went to their intercom. It was down. She tried the lights. No power except for the red emergency light that blinked on and off overhead. She turned to Fairfax and saw her standing perfectly still, her head cocked to one side as humans did when they were listening.

Fairfax lowed her mask. “I think the craft is stable, Captain. The thrusters sound fine but are offline by the sound of them. I don't detect any sway in our trajectory. I think the bridge crew has stabilized our course and cut engines. I can hear the heating and ventilating systems functioning, too. The Mariner is breathing just fine. I think this is the only breach, but our quarters has been automatically bypassed by the systems to prevent resource bleeding.”

Anna nodded. They were trapped for the time being. Space was a dangerous place and when a breach occurred the hatches automatically closed and sealed. That sometimes meant a loss of life for those caught on the wrong side of a hatch, but it allowed the remaining crew to survive. The hatch could be opened manually from the outside, but that would not happen until an EVA crew had been sent out to evaluate the damage and do a repair job. It would take at least two hours for two of the crew to suit up and start repairs. In the meantime, they were trapped with limited air pressure, toxic air, and no heat.

Who would Moshapa send? Toda would be best but the ISC spacesuit that had been sent for him didn't fit well enough that he could work with ease in space. It would have to be used for an emergency only. Moshapa would be her next choice but it would be illogical to risk their remaining commanding officer. Wiseman would know the procedure, but was not very practical or good with his hands. Barron probably couldn't remember the procedure. Lai then. It was well out of her area of speciality, but she had the experience and would know what to do. But how was she going to be in an emergency? Could she hold it together or would she have another break down if put under pressure? Sur would have the training but had no experience in dealing with an emergency of this sort. The cracks in her crew's abilities were suddenly painfully obvious.

Then she looked at Fairfax, who was curled up on the corner of her bunk wrapped in blankets. Fairfax had no experience either and was the least qualified of their group and yet she'd come through with flying colours in the emergency. Anna relaxed. She had to believe in her crew.

Gathering her blankets off her own bed she got in beside Fairfax. She lowered her mask to speak.

“I can increase my body temperature. It will keep us alive a bit longer.” Fairfax nodded and Anna wrapped her in her arms as they snuggled under the blankets. They had maybe two hours and twenty minutes before their supply of oxygen ran too low and the carbon dioxide became toxic. Already condensation was forming on the walls. It was going to be a cold and wet wait.

Lt. Commander Moshapa had still been on the bridge when The Mariner was struck. Chief Lai had the helm.

“Holy cow! What was that?” Lai struggled to bring the craft back on course.

The breach alarms sounded and the hatch doors shut and locked. Moshapa looked at his readouts. They were venting air on the port side at mid-ship.

“Throttle back to drift, Helm.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

“Crew report your condition and location.”

“Lieutenant Toda in Engineering. I'm okay and the engines are functioning well.”

“Lieutenant Barron. I'm in the common room and everything seems okay. I got a few bruises from a fall, but I'm okay.”

“Lieutenant Wiseman in my quarters. I was a sleep. What's going on?”

“Crewman Sur reporting in, sir. I'm in my quarters. Everything is A-Okay.”

Moshapa waited. There were no further reports.

“Captain Cyborn report in. Crewman Fairfax report in.”

Nothing.

“Crew open your emergency survival kits. I'm going to start opening the hatches on the areas that I know are safe.” Moshapa released the hatch on engineering first.

“I'm out in the hallway. Atmospheric pressure and air mixture is stable,” Toda reported in.

Moshapa released the hatch on Sur's quarters.

“I'm out with Toda in the hall. We are moving forward to the common room hatch.”

Next, the hatch release was opened on Wiseman's door.

“I'm out with the others, sir.”

Moshapa opened the hall hatch that separated them from the common room.

“Barron here. Toda, Wiseman and Sur have just arrived.”

Lastly, Moshapa opened the hatch between the common room and the bridge and his crew moved forward to the bridge. Toda was the last one to arrive.

“The breach is in Captain Cyborn and Crewman Fairfax's quarters. Their door is cold to touch. Someone is alive. I knocked and someone knocked back.”

Mosapa looked at his read outs. “We've stopped venting. They've managed to seal the breach, but readings indicate they are without power, ventilation, and heat. Toda, see what you can do. Barron take the helm. Sur, Lai suit up. Wiseman get the craft skin repair kit out and power up the EVA chamber.”

“Yes, sir.”

They had rehearsed scenarios like this both in their ISC training and in drills that Captain Cyborn has conducted, but this was for real and Moshapa knew his Captain would be pleased at how well the crew was following procedure and keeping their heads.

He left the bridge and worked his way through to the common room. Sur and Lai were laying out the space suits and methodically going through the checklists. Going out into space was very dangerous and every joint and apparatus had to be checked and rechecked. Time was of the essence but rushing and losing more crew would be foolhardy. Lai was making sure that Sur stuck to procedure. She had done EVAs before and knew the drill and the risks. They each breathed pure oxygen from small tanks on their backs as they worked. The increased oxygen levels would prevent cramps while out in space.

The conning tower ladder had two semi-circle walls around one side. Once the two astronauts were suited up, they would stand one on the ladder and one at its base. A flick of a switch would cause one of the semi-circular walls to curve around making a sealed unit. This area could then be depressurized so that the two astronauts could open the conning tower hatch and leave the vessel. Lieutenant Wiseman had already powered up the system and run a check to make sure it was in good working order. Moshapa nodded his approval and went back to the first cabin hatch on the port side. Condensation was running down the cold door. Moshapa tapped out a line of Morse code. He waited. Then tapped again.

A few seconds later, a message was tapped back. Moshapa wrote the code down in his flight notebook and translated it.

“They're both alive and okay. They're on their breathing apparatuses and are trying to stay warm.”

Wiseman passed the word forward to the bridge before returning to his post. What Moshapa didn't tell them was that the two trapped inside were slowly freezing and their air supply would only last a little while longer. He tapped a brief status report back to Anna.

Inside, Anna huddled against the hatch listening for the Morse code message that she had requested on the status of her ship. With shaking, blue hands she scribbled down the letters as the dots and dashes came and then read the messages. Ship stable. Crew safe . ETA three hours forty minutes.

Anna tapped back that she'd got the message and then stumbled back to the bed she was sharing with Fairfax. Once under the blankets again and curled around her crewman she lifted her oxygen mask to speak. “It's going to be close. Here's my flight notebook. You might want to write a message just in case.”

Fairfax looked at her and then nodded. She hesitantly took the small notebook offered her and, turning her back to Anna, she wrote for a few minutes. She slipped the notebook under her pillow and then turned and hugged Anna's body. At first startled, Anna held the young crewman close.

“Crewman Fairfax, you conducted yourself well on your first mission. You're a fine addition to this crew. I'm proud of you.”

Anna remembered Fairfax's words from just a few weeks before. This is my first mission. I'd rather not die, so let's make it a success . What more could she do to make it a success? Nothing. The rescue team would either get the repair job done in time or not.

Moshapa looked at his watch. The EVA team had just opened the conning tower hatch. It had taken them one hour and forty-eight minutes. Not bad but perhaps not good enough depending on what damage they found.

“Lieutenant Wiseman, stand by the decompression chamber in case an emergency re-entry is needed.”

“Yes, sir.”

Moshapa moved forward to the bridge and sat again in the command seat.

“Chief Lai, what do you see out there?”

“We are just making our way over. So far we can't see any damage. Wait, there it is. It's an impact wound. It's pretty small but there are some radiating cracks. I can see it's been sealed from the inside. Sur is just anchoring us and we'll start repairs. I think several sheets of foil glued in place will hold it before we cold weld a patch over the area.”

“How long?

“Probably three hours.”

“We haven't got a couple of hours, never mind three.”

“We'll do our best, sir.”

“I know you will. Don't take chances. We'll work on a solution to the problem at our end.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

Moshapa looked around at his crew. “I need suggestions and I need them quickly. They haven't got long now.”

Toda looked at his feet, then at the ceiling.

Barron stared at the helm desk.

Moshapa rubbed his forehead.

It was Wiseman who came running forward with the answer. “Toda is a pretty tough guy. We'll put him in the hall and seal the hatches at both ends then depressurize the area. He can pull the Captain and Fairfax out into the hall and then reseal the quarter's door. Then we'll flood the hall with air again and open up the hatches. What we'll be doing is turning the hallway into a decompression chamber. There won't be time to put on a suit. Toda will just have to wear an air tank and hang tough.”

“I can do it.”

“See that it's done.” Moshapa ordered, then flicked the switch to speak to Lai again. “Take your time out there. We have a plan for getting them out from this side.”

“Roger that.”

Toda slipped on a jacket and then swung a small air tank over his back and slipped on the mask. He gave a thumbs up after checking his air flow and stepped into the hallway.

Wiseman yelled up to the bridge. “He's in place. Seal the doors and depressurize.”

Toda felt his head go light and his ears ring as the air hissed from the hallway. When the pressure had dropped low enough he unsealed the hatch to the quarters and squeezed his body through. The walls were dripping wet and the air frigid. Toda found the two of them unconscious and huddled under a blanket covered in frost. He lifted the captain out first and then went back for Fairfax. Quickly, he sealed the hatch once more.

“Hurry! Hurry! Get some air in here!”

Moshapa opened all the valves and flooded the hall with air again. As soon as the atmospheric pressure stabilized, he released the hallway hatch to the common room and ran back to offer assistance. Toda dragged Captain Cyborn into the common room while Wiseman fetched Fairfax. Toda increased the oxygen flow in his mask and put it on the Captain. Moshapa had got a second tank out and was doing the same for Fairfax while Wiseman ran about finding blankets and covering the two women.

“Take care of them and report to me on any changes.” Moshapa went back to the bridge to oversee the repair crew.

Captain Cyborn who came around first.

“Are you okay, sir?” Toda asked.

Anna nodded. “Fairfax?”

Wiseman looked over from where he was kneeing by the Crewman. “She's just coming around now, Captain. I think she's okay.”

Anna nodded. She felt sick and light-headed and she was freezing. She closed her eyes and drifted to sleep.

 

All Hands to the Bridge

 

It was some hours later when she woke up again feeling tired but much better. She was now lying in a bunk in the infirmary deeply buried in blankets. Slowly, she sat up. Crewman Fairfax lay across from her covered in her own mound of blankets. She was sleeping, and she was still blue around the lips.

Anna kept one blanket for herself and took the other two over and placed them on Fairfax. She knelt down by the young Crewman and touched her cheek. It was still cold. Anna had been impressed by Fairfax. She'd kept her head and followed the proper procedures and when it looked like they weren't going to make it she'd accepted her fate calmly.

What had Fairfax written in her notebook? Was there someone special in her life waiting back on Earth?

Anna felt a loneliness she'd never felt before. She an illogical urge to hold Fairfax in her arms again. A Captain is like a parent , always wanting to guide and protect her crew. Somehow this conclusion did not seem right. Anna got to her feet, wrapped the one blanket around her and made her way to the bridge.

“Captain on the bridge!”

“As you were. Lt. Commander Moshapa, status report.”

“The EVA crew finished work about an hour ago. Lai reports that they have a good patch cold- welded into place over several layers of foil they glued on. We are still floating on course. Lieutenant Barron has an interesting theory.”

Anna turned to face Barron who still sat at the helm. “Report.”

“Well, I've been sitting here all day looking at the gauges and I've noticed a pattern. The clouds are swirling counter-clockwise and in towards a centre just ever so slightly. I think it's the effects of a gravitational pull. If we changed our course and followed the flow, we'd be less lightly to be hit by debris. The steady increase in gravitational force and dust indicates to me that there is a really large planet masked in there. We could spiral slowly towards it by following the cosmic current.”

Anna came over and looked at the readings. “Number One?”

“I agree.”

Anna nodded. “So do I. If nothing else, going with the flow instead of cutting across it will put The Mariner on a much safer course. Change our course to 44.62 and match our speed to that of the comic current.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

“Well done, Barron.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“Number One, I'll take the command seat for a while. You must be done in. That was a fine bit of rescuing and repair.”

“It was Wiseman who came up with the idea of using the hall as a decompression chamber and it was Toda who went in to get you and Crewman Fairfax out.”

Anna nodded. “I'll read your duty report while I'm on deck. There will be a debriefing on deck at 2200. Send Wiseman up to take over the helm from Lieutenant Barron who, I'm sure, needs some down time.”

“Aye, aye, Captain.”

For the next five hours, Anna worked on the bridge with Lieutenant Wiseman at the helm. Wiseman was excited about Barron's hypothesis.

“This could help my career if we find something interesting in there. Perhaps, a gas giant like Jupiter or a brown dwarf.”

“Perhaps. I'm sending over to your station some data from the ship's particle readings. I'm seeing some very strange patterns. Like neutrons but different. Have you seen anything like that?”

Wiseman looked at his data screen as Anna's material downloaded. For a while he just stared. Then he got to his feet, remembered that he was at the helm and sat again.

“Captain, I think they're neutralinos. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part because no one has seen their pattern before. You are right, they are acting like neutrinos but they are bigger and heavier. Captain, what if they are neutralinos? It would be the find of a century!”

Anne smiled. “It would indeed, Lieutenant. I guess we'd better stay on our present course and have a look, don't you think?”

“Yes, sir!”

At 2200 hours, Anna stood on the bridge with her crew. She looked around at them. They had been together now for over three months. They'd gone from a bunch of misfits no one wanted to a small team with a lot of pride and confidence. Anna needed to express that.

“I want to thank you all for not just doing your duty but going beyond it to make a bad moment into a success. Lt. Commander Moshapa, you set the example by taking immediate and positive action. You knew who to call on for each part of the rescue and you trusted them to live up to your orders. You are worthy to serve as captain on any star ship.”

“Thank you, Captain.”

“Lieutenant Wiseman, when minutes counted, you kept your head and problem solved. Your creative idea saved the life of Crewman Fairfax and myself. Thank you.”

Wiseman looked at his feet and blushed.

“Lieutenant Toda, you followed procedure and made sure this vessel was secure and running smoothly as a good engineer should even though you knew your engineering assistant was in trouble. Then you willingly put yourself in danger to get Fairfax and myself out. You are a credit to the team.”

“Oh my, that's very nice of you to say so, Captain. I was so worried.”

“Lieutenant Barron, you brought the craft back on course after the collision and remained at your post throughout the crisis. More than that you used your remarkable skills to see what the rest of us missed and, as a result, The Mariner is on a safer course and perhaps on the brink of a major discovery. Well done.

“Chief Lai, you willingly took on a dangerous EVA to repair this ship and I understand that you and Crewman Sur have done a fine job. It shows real bravery and steady nerves to step up and take on duties and leadership outside your speciality in an emergency. You were there when it counted and I'm sure you always will be.”

“You don't live through a combat situation without having learned how to repair a craft, but thank you, Captain.”

“Crewman Sur, you took on a dangerous mission without hesitation to help save members of this crew. The task was beyond your realm of experience and training but you followed Lai's lead and came through with flying colours. You'll make a fine officer someday.

“Crewman Fairfax, we had only minutes to save our lives. You remained calm and followed procedure to the letter. Without your assistance we wouldn't have made it. You are an outstanding member of this crew.”

For a second, Anna thought Fairfax was going to cry but she pulled herself together stood tall and smiled her thanks.

“I will be adding commendations to each of your files. The DMC has started a history that others will follow with pride. We have shown that wearing this uniform is an honour and a privilege that few get. Skill and guts has got us here, now fate might have handed us a real prize. If there is a mass out there with a high level of neutralinos associated with its make-up, we will be the first to record the phenomena. But let's not let our excitement rule our common sense. We have no idea what Mariner might find. We've already dealt with a dangerous breach. Let's be alert and continue to live up to the high standards we have set for ourselves. Ladies and gentlemen, as long as we are under the influence of whatever is out there, we'll be under general alert orders.”

“Aye. aye, Captain.”

“Crewman Fairfax, are you recovered enough to take the helm?”

“Yes, Captain.”

“Do so. I'll stay on the bridge until 2500, then Lt. Commander Moshapa will take over with Crewman Sur at the helm.”

“Yes, Captain.”

“Dismissed.”

After the crew had left, Anna did a routine check of each of the stations coming last to lean over the helm to verify their heading. Crewman Fairfax was wearing perfume. Anna had never noted her wearing perfume before. Makeup of any sort was against regulations but on long missions there was a little more tolerance of such issues. It was a nice scent that reminded Anna of warm days and wild flowers.

“Course change, Captain?”

“No steady as she goes, Fairfax. Are you feeling any ill effects from our accident?”

“I'm still a little cold and I have a slight headache, but other than that I'm fine. Thank you for sharing your body heat. I might not have made it otherwise.”

Anne blushed and stood straight again needing space between herself and Fairfax.

“There are a few advantages to having cybernetic parts.”

Anna went and sat in the command seat. She busied herself with writing up her own report on the incident, but found her gaze kept drifting over to Crewman Fairfax . Fairfax was fit and good looking. Anna liked the way she wore her hair short. Her hair was brunette with touches of red in it. She had a nice voice, too, deep and resonant for a woman.

A wave of shock rolled through Anna. I'm attracted to her. Then relief followed. No, it wasn't possible. What I'm experiencing is just the deep bond that can develop between individuals who have lived through a crisis together.

For the next week, The Mariner spiralled towards their objective. Then one morning, Anna was awoken from her sleep by the intercom.

“Report.”

“Lieutenant Wiseman on deck with Chief Lai. You have to see this, Captain. We've just broken through all that gas, and we're looking at a massive planet some 150,000 miles away.”

“Neutralinos levels?”

“High.”

“Gravitational force?”

“Growing but still within safe perimeters.”

“I'm on my way.”

Anna slipped from bed and stood naked as she stretched her cramped muscles, smiling to herself she headed for the shower. Fairfax had been awake and had taken quick look. Cybernetic eyes had an advantage. They didn't miss much. Anna was aware she was, by human standards, a good-looking woman with a fit body. She was tall, lean, and her features were well proportioned and framed by short, sandy-coloured hair. Her looks had never really mattered to her other than being physically up to her job. Now she realized to her surprise she wanted Fairfax to like what she saw. She shook the shower water off her hair. I'm being irrational. Prolonged space travel can lead to these sort of illogical reactions . She towelled off and dressed, then made her way to the bridge. Fairfax was still faking sleep when she closed the hatch on their quarters.

Wiseman stood as Anna entered. She went over and stood beside him, looking at the massive planet on the periscope screen. Then she sat in the command seat and looked at the readings.

“We're not going much closer. That thing is exerting a massive gravitational pull and the radiation levels are high. We have less than a week to do a survey before we need to head back to the rendezvous point. Let's make the most of this.”

Anna switched on the intercom. “All hands to the bridge. All hands to the bridge.”

Fairfax was there almost immediately. She had risen as soon as Anna left the room. Soon the others were on deck as well. Anna gave them time to look at the planet on the viewing screen before she set out her plan.

“We have six days to observe this phenomenon. You all have a speciality, use it in anyway you can to make observations. I want to know the size, composition, evolution, abnormalities, anything that you can find. Let's make these days count. Wiseman, you are the scientist aboard. I want you to coordinate all the research. Everyone will report to you, and you will report to me daily or whenever something of significance arises.”

“Aye, aye, Captain.”

“Let's get on with it. Dismissed.”

Anna watched as her crew took to their stations or headed to set up observation equipment. She couldn't feel prouder. Her crew had learned to be confident enough to work as individuals, but had also learned to trust and respect each other so that they could work as a tightly focused team. They were living up to the myth they had spread aboard The Explorer.

 

Reading a Secret Letter

 

Anna busied herself with mapping the currents on the gaseous giant. There would be time for one orbit only and in that time she would have to gather as much data as possible.

Some hours later, Wiseman, Toda and Fairfax appeared by her station.

Wiseman took the lead. “Captain, Toda and Fairfax have been up to no good. I think you should hear what they told me. I was really impressed.”

Anna's eyes went first to Fairfax and then to Toda. “Well?”

“We've been building a probe over the last month. It was Crewman Fairfax's idea and I designed and built it with her assistance. We actually made it to sit in the dark matter and send back readings after The Mariner left, but we think we can modify it to send it into that gas mass and get some good readings back before it's crushed.”

Anna smiled. “Would this be unauthorized use of ship board equipment, Lieutenant Toda?”

“Ah, well, dear me, I hadn't thought...”

“It was my idea, Captain. I talked Toda into it.”

“Really? Why am I not surprised? You two have done fine work. In future though, okay this sort of thing with me. We are a small vessel and materials are precious. Lieutenant Wiseman, work with these two renegades to do any modifications you need to collect as much data as we can. Well done. Dismissed.”

The three hurried off, clearly excited about their project. Anna watched them go and smiled then turned back to her work. Some hours later, Lt. Commander Moshapa came to take over the command seat followed quicklyby Crewman Sur relieving Chief Lai at the helm.

“How are things going, Captain?” Moshapa asked.

“It's been a quiet shift. What have you been up to?”

“I'm doing studies on the dark matter flow and the influence of this mass on it. I suspect, Captain, we are not looking at a gaseous planet. We're looking at a star in the making. This mass has only to gain another one point two-threepercent of its mass for it to hit the necessary threshold to form a star. There is well enough helium and hydrogen about to make that a reality. This thing has been sucking in the dark matter around it for eons.”

“What does Wiseman say?”

“He agrees. He feels it will become a neutron star, but he's not sure what the effects of the high concentration of neutralinos will be.”

Anna nodded. Keep at it. Crewman Sur, what has been your assignment?”

“I'm photographing the surface in ten kilometre blocks.”

“Good.”

“What about Lieutenant Barron?”

“I understand that she is doing research and testing on the radiation levels and Chief Lai is working on some methods for reducing any radiation poisoning.”

“Good. The helm is yours, Number One.”

“Aye, aye, Captain.”

Anna headed back to the common room and stood contemplating the gallery stores deciding what to eat. Now nearing the end of their mission, the good stuff had all been eaten and the tasty choices were limited.

“Captain?”

Anna turned to look down at Fairfax.

“I wanted to apologize for going ahead with the probe construction without first going through proper channels. It wasn't Toda's fault. It was mine. I...”

“Crewman Fairfax, I made two points. First, that in future proper channels have to be followed. Second, that your idea for the construction of the probe was an excellent one that will certainly help us collect a lot more data than we initially would have. The issue is closed.”

“Yes, Captain.”

“Have you eaten?”

“Not yet, sir.”

Anna felt an irrational spike of annoyance. It was proper protocol to address a senior officer as sir no matter what that officer's sex. She had no problem with that usually, but for some reason she didn't like Fairfax calling her sir. Anna shrugged off her reaction.

“I'm having meat loaf surprise. I'm hoping it will be a pleasant surprise and not a nasty shock. Would you care to join me and you can tell me more about your probe?”

“Yes, sir.”

“That wasn't an order, Crewman. It was an invitation.”

“Yes, sir.”

Anna gritted her teeth and slid her dinner out of the microwave and carried it over to the table. She got a fork and a glass of water and sat down. A few minutes later, Crewman Fairfax joined her.

Anna took a bite, swallowed and sighed. “It's not bad, but I'm glad it was labelled because otherwise I wouldn't have known what I was eating.”

Fairfax laughed. She has a nice laugh, Anna thought.

“I had fish yesterday, but it could have passed for wallpaper paste. Poor Toda is really suffering. Giganteans are very fussy about what they eat. Lieutenant Barron smuggled aboard a lot of tasty treats for him, but he's gone through his Luctarian weed and the dried Caral root and now he's forced to eat what the rest of us do.”

Anna smiled. “I must remember to consult my crew about dietary needs on our next mission.”

Fairfax looked up from her plate with a worried expression. “I wasn't complaining. I was just making conversation.”

“Understood. But I think it's a valid point. Didn't Napoleon say that an army marches on its stomach.”

“He sounds like he was a very practical leader.”

“In many ways he was. We'll be due for some leave time when we get back. Do you have plans?”

“No, not really.”

“No family? Significant other?”

“I'm not on very comfortable terms with my family. I thought I might sign up for an engineering course. Toda has taught me a lot and I really like working in engineering.”

Anna nodded. “I'm glad you've found your experience with the DMC a positive one.”

Fairfax played with her food moodily. “I'm not as bad as my record would indicate, Captain. I was angry and confused when I dropped out of university and started doing the party scene. Some bad stuff had happened and I just wanted to forget. I suppose, looking back, I probably was suffering from post traumatic syndrome.” Fairfax shrugged. “I'm not making excuses. I messed up and I was lucky the judge let me choose the ISC over jail.

“I thought I'd been handed a chance to get my life in order again. I'd worked hard through my training and had really done well in Navigation. I thought I'd get a junior post on a Galaxy or Jupiter class vessel but my past was held against me. No one wanted me. I admit I was pretty angry when I was assigned to the DMC, but now I'm proud. We've shown them that we are worthy to wear the ISC uniform.”

“If that's what you want, I hope you get that chance. I certainly will be writing a very positive report on your service aboard The Mariner.”

Fairfax shook her head. “Thank you, Captain, but you know what? I don't want to wear the ISC uniform now. I'm proud to wear the navy of the DMC. If I get the chance, I want to ship out on The Mariner on her next voyage.”

Anna smiled. “Me, too. Let's hope that we can convince the powers that be that the DMC has earned its rightful place as part of the fleet.”

They talked then about the probe, the equipment that could fit inside the small cylinder and the technical problems they were facing. Then Anna was called to the bridge to deal with a navigation correction. When she came back, Fairfax was gone. She wasn't in their quarters so she had to be with Toda in engineering. Anna felt a pang of jealousy. Surely, those two weren't involved? It doesn't seem possible, yet relationships between interplanetary intelligent lifeforms are not unheard of.

Anna sat down on her bunk to think. Dorbel Cybernetics created only six clone-cyborgs before the program was scrapped for ethical reasons. She had been the last. The others were more machine than humanoid. She was unique, more human than cybernetic. Had the program been allowed to continue no doubt she would have ended up more of a machine than she was human. Her lab history indicated that she had been scheduled for more alterations and cybernetic parts. But the program had been shut down by the government and Anna had been removed from the Dorbel Cybernetic Lab with the others and raised with care workers in a group home. To her knowledge no clone-cyborgs had ever had sexual relations or even a boyfriend or girlfriend. She couldn't recall ever being attracted to a man. Thinking back, she did see a pattern of respect and admiration for certain female instructors. Her clone-mother was a lesbian. It seemed reasonable that if Anna was capable of such emotional reactions then she had a higher probability of being a lesbian, too.

Gail Patterson, one of the social workers, had taken Anna out to social functions to acclimatize her to the real world after her time in the lab. They'd had fun together going to concerts, restaurants, the zoo, the library, museums and countless other places, some as simple as the grocery store. Gail had been a significant influence in her life. Had she felt an attraction there? Perhaps. Anna remembered being both disappointed and, yet, tantalized too, when she discovered Gail was happily married to a woman.

Then there had been Admiral Afel Tabak. Yes, Anna had no doubts she'd had a crush on that beautiful Turkish woman. She'd hung on every word and gesture her instructor had made and had gone out of her way to take courses Tabek taught. But Tabek was not a lesbian. She was married to a male research scientist and had three children.

Anna gave herself a mental shake. This line of thought was not productive or useful. She slid off her bunk. As she did so she saw her flight notebook lying on the floor beside Fairfax's bed. It was the one Fairfax had written in when she though she might die and had then tucked under her mattress. Anna had forgotten about it in the busy days following the accident. It must have fallen out unnoticed when Fairfax made her bed that morning.

Anna picked it up. It would be wrong to read what Fairfax had written. She looked to make sure no one was in the hallway and then flipped the notebook open to the last page.

Written by Crewman Jill Fairfax on solar rotation 2759.26 RST

It has been an honour to serve with the Dark Matter Corps. They are a fine crew and I have learned a lot from all of them. They have become my family. Toda has been an inspiration to me and has given me a wonderful gift in introducing me to his love of engineering. Thank you, Toda.

Captain Cyborn is a fine captain, but more than that she is an amazing human being. Yes, not a cyborg, but a human who happens to have some artificial parts. I have seen her strength of character, her humour, her moments of sadness and the pride she has in her crew. I have seen her toughness and her caring. Captain Cyborn has made me live up to my potential. She let me start my DMC career with a clean slate and judged me on my ability not my past.

Anyone who joins the ISC knows that it is a high risk job. I have accepted that I might die. I can't accept though that Captain Cyborn might. She would be such a loss to this universe. I care about her, as we all do aboard The Mariner. She is an outstanding officer and a wonderful human being. It is an honour to serve with her.

Anna snapped the notebook shut and placed it back where she had found it. Then she headed for the bridge.

“Captain Cyborn. Do you want the command seat?”

“No, no thanks, Lt. Commander Moshapa. I'll work over at the science console.”

“Aye, aye, Captain.”

But Anna didn't work. She opened up the screen, but uncharacteristically she was unable to compartmentalize her thoughts to focus on the task.

Fairfax's first thought had been about her fellow crew members. Then for Toda with whom she obviously had a close relationship. Only then had she mentioned Anna. Anna liked that Fairfax saw her as a human with cybernetic parts. She liked that Fairfax thought she was a good leader. But what had hit her like a punch had been “I care about her.” Fairfax had feelings towards her, real feelings, and she had written that the rest of the crew did, too. They didn't see her as a useful gadget or intelligent computer, they related to her on a human level. Anna wasn't sure that had ever happened to her before.

Anna thought about her own feelings. Was she capable of love? Was she attracted to Fairfax? It was impossible, of course. Fairfax was an enlisted crew member and Anna an officer. What would happen if it got out that Anna was dating? On one level, she and her partner would have to put up with society's disdain of a human dating a cyborg, on another they would be little more than specimens in a detailed lab study. No, she could never have a relationship, no matter how she felt. Besides, the whole idea was ridiculous. Anna forced her mind back on her work. That night, when she returned again to her quarters, she found her flight book on her bed. The page Fairfax had written on had been removed.

They used the six days well. On the fourth day, they launched the probe Toda had nicknamed Tadpole. Thanks to Fairfax's idea, Toda's hard work and Wiseman's suggestions for the modifications, The Tadpole sent back incredible amounts of data before it was crushed by the gravitational and atmospheric forces. Wiseman was elated and couldn't stop talking about how his career was now made. Anna was proud of what they had accomplished and relieved that they wouldn't be heading back to ISC empty handed.

Leaving the bridge that afternoon, she returned to her quarters. Fairfax sat on the edge of her bunk crying. She jumped to her feet and wiped away the tears when she saw Anna.

“As you were, Crewman. What's the problem?”

“Nothing really, sir.”

“Don't call me sir. Captain will do.” Anna responded a little more forcibly than she had meant. She went on more softly. “ If I find one of my crew crying it is a problem. Explain.”

Fairfax blushed. “The Tadpole was my first creation and I lost her. I know she wasn't meant to return, but it still makes me sad.”

Anna smiled. “I understand.” She reached out and patted Fairfax's shoulder. “The Tadpole had a short life but a productive one. Her name will be forever associated with one the greatest finds in our time.”

“Thank you, s...Captain.”

Tears rolled down Fairfax's face. Anna impulsively pulled Fairfax to her and hugged her gently. She rationalized the move as a show of support to an upset crew member. On a small vessel a Captain had to be more than a leader she had to be a mother as well. Yet, the hug lengthened and neither let go. Finally, Anna stepped back.

“The Tadpole design needs to be patented. See that's done. Also, if the materials are available or can be accessed from The Explorer, we could do with having a few more of them aboard. You and Toda can work on it on our return voyage. I can see how we could use the probes to our advantage. Aim for building Tadpole 2, 3 and 4 with some flexibility in the payload area for modifying the data flow that we might need.”

“Yes, Captain.”

There was a second of awkward silence, then Anna gathered the things she needed and left.

 

Such a Sick Baby

 

On the sixth day, Anna gave the command to break orbit and to head back through the gas clouds to their rendezvous. It had been a very successful mission. One for the record books, she hoped.

They spiralled out through the gas clouds. At the helm, Sur continually scanned the readouts, aware of the much greater risk hitting debris as they moved against the flow of gas. Several hours passed in quiet work. The Mariner's systems hummed and bleeped in the background. Then suddenly everything stopped. The bridge dimmed to the red emergency lights only.

“Report.”

“All systems down, Captain. I have no control of the helm. We're adrift.”

“Crewman Sur, maintain your post at the helm and go to red alert.”

“Aye, aye, Captain.”

Anna made her way back through the dark halls to Engineering, pushing past Lai, Barron and Wiseman in the darkness of the aft hall. She found Moshapa just inside the Engineering compartment manually opening vents. Toda and Fairfax worked feverishly among the jumble of machinery wearing head lights and masks.

“Report.”

Moshapa answered. “The main NFG coupling has broken. Toda shut down the systems in order to make repairs.”

“Estimated time?”

Fairfax looked over. “It's a major job, Captain. It will be hours.”

Toda was mumbling to himself. “Oh dear, you poor sick baby. Toda is going to make you better.”

Anna turn her gaze to her Number One. “Lt. Commander Moshapa, I'll need you on the bridge. We have about two hours before our orbit decays to the point where we are not going to be able to escape the gravitational pull of that planet. Hopefully, that will not be our fate, but let's make sure that if it is, all the material we have gathered is transmitted to The Explorer. Notify all the crew to download their material to the main computer and have Barron stand by to transmit. I'll code in from here authority for you to access my research. Get it ready to send with yours.”

“Yes, Captain.”

“What's going on?” Lai, Wiseman and Barron looked in from the hatch.

“The main coupling has gone and the systems are down for repairs. Everyone is to take what data they have gathered so far and download it into the ship's memory bank. Get on with it.”

“Aye, aye, Captain.”

Anna strode to the computer centre and coded in the necessary password for Moshapa to access her material. Then she grabbed a mask and headlight from the emergency cabinet.

“Fairfax, go and download your material. Toda, give Fairfax access to download yours.”

“But Captain...”

“That was an order, Fairfax.”

“Yes, Captain.”

Anna wove through the engineering mechanisms to where Toda and Fairfax were working. She reached aroundFairfax for the broken coupling and felt her body hot against the Crewman's. NFG coolant sprayed over them wetting their shirts and hair. Looking down, Anna could make out the curves of Fairfax's breasts and her hard nipples. Without the coolant system working, Engineering was hot and humid. An acidic smell stung her eyes and burnt her throat despite the protective gear she wore. Sweat trickled down Anna's neck and she wiped it off on her shoulder before she finally grabbed for the broken coupling.

“I've got it. Go.”

Fairfax nodded and waited only long enough for Toda to authorize her access of his research material. Then she was gone.

“Toda, you have less than two hours to get this engine up and functioning.”

“Oh dear. She is such a sick baby.”

“Not half as sick as we are all going to be if this engine is not up and running in time.”

Toda nodded and worked away at assembling a new coupling joint while Anna did her best to stopper the leaking NFG coolant.

Half an hour later, Fairfax was back and working with Toda to fit the new coupling into place. In thirty-two minutes, the leak had been stopped. Toda gave them NL Vacuums and they started to decontaminate the equipment and deck while Toda changed filters and filled the coolant cells.

One hour and eighteen minutes had passed when finally they were ready to start the complex process of bringing the engines online. Anna enabled the backup protocols while Toda brought each system online. Fairfax sat at the engineering station watching the readouts.

“NFG coolant system online,” Fairfax stated calmly.

“Base line fuel cells set,” added Anna.

Anna watched from her station as Fairfax studied her monitor. “VBEM computer system up and running. Stand by, Toda. Four, three, two, one. No. Shit! The propulsion system is not coming online. There's no pressure.”

Anna and Toda converged on the propulsion ram system. Toda saw the problem.

“Contaminated filter duct. We'll have to shut down while I replace it.”

Anna nodded. “Lt. Commander Moshapa, how are we doing up there?”

“We are sixteen minutes away from being trapped in the planet's gravitational pull. We need the main engines online, Captain.”

“Understood.”

Toda worked quickly and competently with Anna's assistance. Replacing the filter took eleven minutes.

They rushed to their places once again.

“NFG coolant system online.”

“Base line fuel cells up.”

“VBEM computer system are on. Stand by, Toda. Six, five four, three, two, one.”

“The propulsion system is on.”

“Get us out of here, Justice!” Anna yelled.

“Full helm!”

Toda stood still, listening to the SP-950 propulsion systems. “That's right, baby. Use all you've got.”

Anna worked her way over to Fairfax. The next few minutes would tell if they had been quick enough to save The Mariner and their own lives. Fairfax seemed to need that closeness, too. She looked up at Anna with eyes filled with worry. Anna put her hand on Fairfax's shoulder. A minute ticked slowly past. Then another.

Toda shook his head. “This is putting an awful strain on The Mariner's systems. The poor thing is going to snap something if this keeps up, I just know it.”

“Don't fret, Toda. If we can't break free it won't matter if we have propulsion or not.”

Anna felt Fairfax lean closer to her. Seconds passed. Then the intercom crackled.

“Captain, Mariner is moving away from the planet slowly,” Moshapa reported from the bridge. “Our thanks to everyone down in engineering.”

Anna smiled and patted Fairfax's shoulder. “Well, done you two.”

 

Don't Count your Cattle Until the Rains Have Come

 

She pulled off her mask and hung it up as she left engineering to make her way back up to the bridge.

“Report.”

“We are increasing velocity. I have instructed Crewman Sur to reach three units and hold steady. We don't want to hit any debris too hard and yet we do want to get away from the planet's force fairly quickly.”

Anna nodded. “Agreed. I'm going to have a shower and change. Want to meet for dinner when you come off duty?”

“Sounds good to me.”

“Your bridge, Lt. Commander.”

“Aye, aye, Captain.”

 

 

 

Anna headed back to her cabin. The adrenalin rush gone she suddenly felt very tired. She opened the hatch to her quarters and stepped in. The shower was running. Fairfax had beaten her to it. Anna peeled off her wet and dirty clothes. She had just slipped into her housecoat when Fairfax stepped out of the head wearing nothing but a towel.

They stopped and looked at each other. They openly stared with no attempt to be subtle. Anna liked what she saw. Fairfax was petite but in good shape. She had the most remarkable green eyes and with her hair slicked and her skin warm and damp from the shower, she was very sexy.

“I'm attracted to you,” Anna stated before she thought.

Fairfax closed the distance between them and reached up to wrap her arms around Anna's neck. Then Fairfax kissed her. It was a soft, tentative kiss. Fairfax pulled back and looked into Anna's eyes. Anna responded to the unspoken question by pulling Fairfax close and kissing her with all the passion building up inside her for months. Hungry mouths sought each other over and over. Fairfax's towel was lost and Anna's robe pulled open. Their hands roved over each other's naked body arousing deeper needs.

Finally, Anna pulled back with a jerk.

“We can't do this.”

“I know. But we have. I don't think there is any going back. Do you?”

Anna pulled her robe shut and tightened the sash. Then she reached down and got Fairfax's towel and gently wrapped her in it again. She took, Fairfax's hand and they sat on the edge of the bunk.

“For a captain to be having a relationship with a crewman is about as wrong a situation as there could possibly be.”

“You didn't come on to me. I came on to you. I don't feel the least bit intimidated, just relieved that I can finally show how I feel.”

“It doesn't change the fact that we'd be both kicked out of the service if it was found out.”

“I know. We could be discreet.”

“On a small vessel of eight people, it would take more than discretion. And there are bigger issues.”

“That isn't big enough?”

“Fairfax...”

“Could you call me Jill. Just for now?”

That brought Anna up short. She'd always thought about her Crewman as Fairfax. But she did have a more personal name. Of course she'd want Anna to use it. Anna wondered what her own given name would sound like on Fairfax's lips.

“I'm Anna.”

“Hi, Anna.” Fairfax leaned forward and kissed Anna softly.

“Hi, Jill.”

“What problems?”

Anna took Fairfax's hand. “I'm an unique being. I'd like to think that I was liberated from the Dorbel Cybernetics Lab, but the truth is I'm still watched and studied all the time. A cyborg has never expressed sexual feelings before. If that got out, the two of us would be a sensation both in the scientific world and in the general populace.”

“You are not a cyborg. You just have cyborg parts.”

“Most people don't see it that way. There are many who view cyborgs as machinery, even the few of us with human elements. Some people would be horrified that you were attracted to me and I to you. They'd think it was unnatural. We can't have a relationship, Jill. As much as I want to, we can't.”

Fairfax nodded. “I like the way you say my name. I understand, Anna. Can we go on sharing a room?”

“We can try.”

Fairfax smiled and Anna kissed her.

“I'd better have a shower. I bet I don't smell too good.”

“Can I kiss you one last time when you come out?”

Anna nodded and hurried off to have her shower.

They had kissed after Anna's shower. More than once. Now Anna sat in the common room waiting for Moshapa to come off duty. Fairfax had returned to engineering to help Toda with a diagnostic review of the systems.

What have I done? I've crossed a line that no officer should cross. Worse than that, I put Fairfax in a very difficult position that could have a long lasting impact on her life.

Anna reached up and touched her lips. They felt swollen. Would others notice that I've been kissing? I hope not.

“You look deep in thought, Anna.”

Anna looked up to see her first officer standing across from her. “Hi, Justice. Yes, I was. You know, a lot to think over now that we are heading back.”

“You've pulled off a pretty impressive mission.”

Anna shrugged. “I hope they see it that way and not as me overstepping my authority.”

Justice laughed. “You'll probably move up a rank.”

“If I was seen as human maybe. There are different rules for me.”

Justice nodded . “For me, too.”

“Yes.”

“I would have retired, you know. I miss Africa. The sun and the red-baked land. Getting up early to look at my herd of cattle . The wonderful rain when it comes. I miss it.”

“Why did you stay with the ISC?”

“My younger brother is a big statesman. While I was recovering, he arranged for me to stay in. If I went home, I would be head of the family and of our village. Maybe in the next election the people would vote for me and not my younger brother, then he would no longer be a big statesman.”

“Maybe you would be the better statesman.”

“Maybe someday I will be.” They laughed.

“How about we get dinner? That is if Toda hasn't eaten everything. That would be ironic if we survived two near disasters only to starve to death on the way back.”

“I'm opting for spaghetti.”

“I had that last night. I think I'll have the chili.”

They heated their meals in the microwave and carried them back to the table.

“Are you married, Justice?”

“My wife died some years ago. We had been at university together in South Africa. I took a degree in science and planned to revolutionize farming in Botswana. The young dream big. But my wife and child died in childbirth.”

“I'm sorry, that must have been a terrible time for you.”

“It was. The Hydronian Crisis was just heating up then and ISC was recruiting.” Justice shrugged. “So instead of becoming a successful farmer in Botswana, I live in the vacuum of space. I never saw the action that Sue Lai did. I won my field commission aboard The Lunaria.”

“She exploded.”

Justice nodded. “We lost the bridge and decks two and three. Some of us managed to survive in the science sections by rigging an air cleaning system. We did a dozen or so EVAs to attach makeshift thrusters to the damaged hull and used them to bring the craft around on a course for home. She was barely drifting forward but we held on for forty-two days until help came.”

“You took command?”

“Someone had to.”

“The survival of those aboard The Lunaria is legendary. I hadn't realized that was you. Is that where you lost your arm?”

“No. That was years later. Ironically, it happened on Earth in a lab accident. The bones were so badly shattered that the arm had to be removed.”

Anna looked at her plate. She hadn't eaten much. “At least there was a reason for removing your arm and giving you a prosthetic.”

“Yes.”

“Permission to join you.” Lieutenant Wiseman stood over by the galley holding his dinner tray.

“Granted. How is the research going, Lieutenant?”

“Amazingly. I think I've got a pretty good idea how neutralinos form and then decay into neutrinos. Not to mention witnessing the birthing of a neutrino star. It would take years of work to verify my findings but it could win me a Nobel Prize in Physics.”

“Congratulations. Looks like your dream of being able to pick and choose from the positions available in the research labs of ISC has come true.”

Wiseman put down his fork. “Captain, all my life I've been a geek. I was smart all right, but I never fit in anywhere. I told myself I didn't care and just acted like an arrogant, self-centred bastard. Well, I did care. Much to my surprise I find that I've enjoyed this voyage, and I hope you feel that I'm a valuable member of the crew.”

“My report will certainly indicate that you are a good man in an emergency and an excellent science officer.”

“Thank you. Captain, I want to stay aboard. I want to be a member of the DMC.”

Anna looked at Wiseman for a few seconds. “You could be throwing away a Nobel Prize. You certainly will be giving up a risk free, high paid job at ISC that will reap you a lot of acclaim. Have you thought about this? The DMC has a very tentative future.”

“I'm part of the team. The first members to wear this uniform. I want to be on the cutting edge of things. I want to be with the DMC. I want to be where I feel I belong.”

“I'll do my best to make that happen.”

“Thank you, Captain. One other thing.”

“Yes?”

“This planet, potential star, it needs a name.”

“I rather thought we'd call it the Wiseman-Barron phenomenon. It's become traditional to give the name of the discoverers to an uninhabited planet.”

Wiseman shook his head. “We all took the risk. We all did the research. Evmon and I have talked about it. We'd like that it be called the Dark Mariner.”

Anna smiled. “I'll make that recommendation.”

“Oh, dear. Is this a private party or can anyone join?”asked Toda, as he and Fairfax brought their food trays over. Fairfax was dwarfed by the towering form of Toda walking behind her. Poor Toda's head nearly touched the ceiling and he had to duck to get through the hatches.

“Please join us. You, too, if you want, Crewman Sur.” Anna called over to where Aja Sur was waiting for his meal to heat.

“Yes, sir.”

The smell of a variety of foods mixed together as they all took a place around the dining table.

Anna looked around. Everyone was there except the duty crew of Lieutenant Barron and Chief Lai.

“This is the first time in a long time that we've had the leisure to have a meal together. It's been an eventful trip.”

“Crewman Sur was just telling me that he has never been happier despite the dangers. Space has so much room and most of it unspoilt. I have to admit, that I've stretched my abilities and discovered that I have other talents beyond communication. Us Vultarians have been fit into a certain role in the ISC and done it very well, I think, but now I can see we could be involved in a lot more.”

“That's good.”

“What about you, Toda? This ship's engine must seem like a toy to what you are used to managing.”

“Oh dear, I don't mean to be insulting, but I was so upset when I saw her. But you know, she's become my baby. I have great plans for her. I'll probably be an old man on my planet before I get the chance to design and develop star ships. This is a wonderful opportunity for me. More than that, I'm the first Gigantean to serve on a star ship. That is very important to my people.”

Anna looked at Justice with questioning eyes. He nodded once.

“I have to be honest. I don't know what will happen when we get back. We were a misfit group that the ISC got rid of by forming a little service and giving us a renovated probe. We've gone well beyond the mandate we were given and hit the jackpot. They're going to have to deal with us now. Whether the DMC will survive or not, I have no idea.”

“It's got to!” snapped Fairfax.

Toda thumped the table and everything rattled. “It must.”

“Of course it must. We've proven ourselves,” said Barron, as she stopped a tumbler from falling over.

“I just need you to be prepared. I hope you all will be looking forward to good positions after this, but it might not be under my command.”

“We'll see,” stated Moshapa. “In my country we say not to count your cattle until the rains have come.”

 

Politics is a Jungle even in Space

 

A few weeks later, Anna sat in the command seat as The Mariner gently manoeuvred into the The Explorer's docking bay hangar.

“Steady as she goes. Landing gear down. Forward thrusters to equalize.”

“Touchdown, Captain.”

“Shut down systems, Crewman Sur.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

The intership communication light flashed.

Welcome aboard, Captain Cyborn.”

“Thank you, Captain Garcia. It's good to be back. The crew and I are looking forward to being able to stretch our legs.”

The crew aboard The Mariner waited for the hangar doors to close and for the bay to be pressurized. Anna leaned back in her seat. The last week she had ordered a general clean-up and stowing of equipment. The Mariner had a few dints and scrapes but she was coming back in the best shape that the DMC could make her. It was a matter of pride.

Without thinking, her eyes turned to where Fairfax sat at the bridge engineering terminal. They had not touched since the day they had expressed their feelings for each other but it hadn't been easy. Sometimes they were able to talk and laugh. Other times there was a awkward tension in the air. Anna knew that something needed to be done but she didn't know what. Aware she was staring, she forced herself to look at the other centres in turn. With the exception of Toda, the entire crew was on deck. Anna had ordered their duty uniforms be washed and pressed. When they stepped off The Mariner she wanted to give the best impression.

She had filed her report to ISC several days ago and according to Garcia, it had arrived like a bombshell going off. Anna wasn't sure what to expect but she was sure that she and the crew would be in for a lot of attention.

“Hangar Bay is pressurized, Captain Cyborn. Standby.”

Anna watched as a side door opened and a landing crew ran forward to chock the landing gear and cover the thrusters. Then they moved stairs into place alongside their craft. This finished, much to her surprise, the main doors opened and in marched a colour guard from The Explorer. The six astronauts came to attention by the main hatch. Then Captain Garcia and his first officer, Commander Jane Hamilton, walked in and stood ready by the stairs.

“All crew stand by at main hatch to meet colour guard,”Anna ordered and left her command seat to lead her crew to the conning tower hatch. When Toda had joined them, Anna ordered them to attention.

“Disembark by order of rank and form up across from the colour guard.”

Anna put her fist on her chest and pounded the beat that they all took up.

“The DMC, The DMC, The DMC!”

Anna climbed the conning tower and undid the hatch pulling herself up on deck.

“Attention!”

Anne stood on her craft and returned the salute Captain Garcia and Commander Hamilton had given her. She headed down the stairs knowing her crew would be right behind her.

“Captain Garcia, Commander Hamilton. Good to see you again.” Anna shook hands as her crew lined up.

“Dark Matter Corps, attention!” came Commander Moshapa's voice.

Anna turned and looked at her crew. She had never felt so proud. Her eyes fell on Crewman Fairfax at attention at the end of the line. She looked magnificent, Anna decided.

The formalities over, the two captains and their first officers adjourned to Captain Garcia's ready room of drinks.

“The rumours around here have been growing bigger by the day. Just what is it that you found in there, Anna?”

“A gaseous mass; we've named it Dark Mariner. We believe it's in the process of becoming a neutron star. It's very close to critical mass. But most interesting is the ring of neutralinos we found associated with it. Our science officer, Lieutenant Wiseman, has made some exciting discoveries about how neutralinos form and decay.”

“It's true then. My congratulations, Anna. What a find!”

“Thanks, Carlos. My crew made it happen. We were in several tight situations but working as a team, we managed to overcome them.”

Garcia nodded, then a frown formed on his face. “Anna, Justice, I wanted to make your arrival special. I wanted you to know that the crew of The Explorer greatly admire the Dark Matter Corps. But beyond this ship, I'm not sure what sort of a welcome you are going to get.”

“Could you explain that?”

“I've been commanded by Vice-Admiral Grover to rendezvous with the fleet's flag ship, The

Adventurer, tomorrow. The Vice-Admiral will be on board.”

Anna did her best to appear unconcerned. “The Adventurer, she's a Goddard class vessel isn't she? I believe there are only three in the area. I'll be interested in seeing her.”

Anna was relieved Garcia did not press the issue. If he was warning her, he must know she had no secret orders and she'd far exceeded her mandate.

“You mentioned you ran into some tight situations, Anna. Can you tell us more?” asked Jane Hamilton.

“It was Justice who was in command for the first crisis. Justice, why don't you tell the story?”

The warning given and the subject changed, the evening went on quite pleasantly. Anna enjoyed being treated as an equal. She hoped she got to serve with Carlos and Jane again. Still her mind couldn't help wondering what Fairfax was doing tonight.

Anna and Justice walked through the corridors of The Explorer back to The Mariner.

“Anna, do you think you are in trouble?”

“Yes.”

“You know the crew will support you a hundred percent.”

“I know but I don't want you involved and that's an order. You lot are to stay out of it and if questioned you were just following orders. There is no point in all our careers being wrecked over this.”

“You'd have got a hero's welcome if you weren't clone-cyborg.”

Anna shrugged but said nothing. Justice was probably right. They entered the hangar and walked over to The Mariner. There was evidence that Toda had started repairs on the hull already. Anna took the arrival steps up to the conning tower and then lifted the hatch to climb down into her ship. Her ship, at least until tomorrow anyway. Saying good night to Justice, she made her way back to her quarters.

Fairfax looked asleep when Anna came in but she suspected that she wasn't. Anna undressed and got into her sleep wear.

“It's worse, you know, if you look. I know from experience.” Anna observed, turning to meet Fairfax's eyes.

“I can't help myself. You look worried.”

Anna went to wash up but left the head door open so they could talk. “We're rendezvousing with The Adventurer tomorrow. Vice-Admiral Grover is on board. I rather got the impression the last time that I met the man that he didn't have a very high opinion of cyborgs or humans with cyborg parts.”

“Will he cause trouble for you?”

“I suspect so.”

“We'll all back you.”

“No, you won't. I've given Commander Moshapa strict instructions that the lot of you are to stay out of it. Your careers have had a nice boost with this mission. Supporting me would only get you marked as a troublemaker.”

Fairfax slipped from her bunk and met Anna as she came out of the head. “Do you think that matters to us?”

Anna drew Fairfax into her arms and held her close. “I know my crew would go to hell and back for me. That's a wonderful feeling but I won't let you. That's an order, Fairfax.”

“Jill.”

“That's an order, Jill.”

With considerable emotional effort, Anna took a step back. “Go to bed. That's an order too.”

Jill looked like she wanted to argue, but bit her lip and slipped back into bed. Anna sighed, got into bed and forced herself to sleep.

 

 

 

Anna spent the next morning with her crew, approving the repairs Toda wanted to undertake and reviewing the crew's various research projects. After lunch she retired to her quarters and changed into her dress uniform, pale blue shirt, navy tie and jacket. The slacks were also navy with a pale blue stripe down the side. She looked at the DMC shoulder patch and wondered if this would be their one and only mission.

Anna squared her shoulders. She meant to face whatever lay ahead with courage and dignity. That was the DMC way. Picking up her briefcase of mission reports, she headed for the conning tower.

Her crew had lined up on each side of the tower standing at attention. Anna returned Commander Moshapa's salute.

“The crew and I wanted you to know that it's an honour and privilege to service with you Captain.”

“Thank you.”

Captain Moshapa, placed his fist over his chest and the crew followed suit. “Cyborn! Cyborn! Cyborn!” they chanted as they pounded their chests. Anna climbed the conning tower and left her crew behind. Reaching the deck she took a few minutes to compose herself. Her crew's loyalty touched her deeply. Then she headed to her meeting aboard Vice-Admiral Grover's Flag Ship.

A shuttle ferried Anna over to the massive Flag Ship. The Adventurer made The Explorer look like a toy. She thought about her own converted probe. The Mariner might be insignificant, but she had made a far bigger discovery than the other two ships had ever achieved.

Once aboard The Adventurer, Anna followed the hall directions to the Captain's offices.

“Captain Cyborn to see Vice-Admiral Grover.”

The young Lieutenant on the desk got up and opened a door. “Please wait in here Captain. The Vice-Admiral will be along presently.”

Anna nodded and stepped into the Captain's ready room. Captain Brenda Taylor might command one of the largest ships in the fleet but when Vice-Admiral Grover was aboard it appeared she lost her rights to her private rooms. Anna sat.

She sat for forty-eight minutes then the door opened and she stood at attention when Vice-Admiral Grover stepped in. The Vice-Admiral came over and sat at the head of the table. Spreading out his papers he finally acknowledged Anna's salute with the barest nod, a slight not to return her salute.

“Sit.”

Anna sat.

“The Mariner has made quite a stir. I have recommended Commander Moshapa for promotion. His brother will be pleased. Botswana is a significant member of the ISC alliance of nations. I think a medal of valour to Toda. We want to keep the Gignanteans firmly on our side. Their abhorrence of physical force makes them questionable as members of the ISC but they are wizards with machinery and I'd be the first to admit that. They are building most of our science class star ships now. Wiseman, of course, will be transferred to the research facilities at ISC Headquarters. The data he has gathered is being waited for with bated breath. The rest of the crew has proven themselves fit to serve and will have commendations put in their files. They'll be posted to other ships accordingly. Then there is you, Captain.”

“Yes sir.”

“You far exceeded the bounds of the orders that I gave to Captain Garcia. I agreed to give you a try but clearly there have been problems. I don't blame you. The whole Dordel's cybernetic program was flawed right from the get-go. Can't expect a machine to understand a chain of command.”

“I beg your pardon, sir. I'm not a machine.”

“I'm talking, Captain.”

“Yes sir.”

“You've been assigned to Dorbel.”

“What?”

“Dorbel Cybernetics. The place where you were created. Your home for want of a better word.”

“What would I do there, sir?”

“I have no idea but they want you and I don't.”

“Permission to speak freely, Vice-Admiral.”

“No.”

“Sir!”

Vice-Admiral Grover was already on his feet packing up his papers. “Captain Cyborn, I don't want to hear it. Dismissed.”

“Yes, sir.”

 

 

 

Later, Anna didn't recall leaving the ready room or making her way back to the shuttle. It was only as she sat there watching The Adventurer retreat through the shuttle portal that the shock was replaced by an overall feeling of fear. She was happy for her crew. They would all fare well but she wasn't a fool. If Dorbel got hold of her again she would be little more than an amazing curiosity to entertain prospective costumers or worse, a rat for experimentation. She didn't think she could stand that. She knew she couldn't. She'd grown as a person since being liberated from the lab as a child. What choice did she have? She'd been given a direct order. She could lay a formal complaint against Vice-Admiral Grover and request a review. She might win, although the chances were slim, but her career with the ISC would be over. She didn't seem to have too many options. If the worst came, she'd go AWOL, change her identity, and try to find work in the merchant fleet.

Her crew was waiting in the common room when she returned to The Mariner. They looked at her in silence, sensing things had not gone well. Anna squared her shoulders. She was captain and she had a duty to keep her crew positive and focused on their jobs and careers. It was important to put a positive spin on all this.

“I know you're all eager to hear, so let's sit down and I'll tell you what I know.”

Everyone quickly pulled up a chair and sat around the table. Anna remained standing. She wanted to make this quick and escape.

“First, the Vice-Admiral was very impressed with the Mariner's performance. We are the talk of the town. Commander Moshapa, I'm proud to announce that you'll soon be Commander Moshapa. You'll be commanding your own vessel and I know that any crew will be delighted to serve under you.”

Anna paused while the crew expressed their congratulations. Anna caught Fairfax's eye. She saw the worry there.

“Second, Toda, you will be receiving a medal for valour for rescuing Fairfax and me. Well done. Your people and this crew are proud of you.”

Again Anna waited while the crew voiced their congratulations. This time Anna avoided looking at Fairfax. She need to keep her control and she couldn't do that when Fairfax seemed to see into her heart.

“Lieutenant Wiseman, you have been assigned to the research centre at ISC command. It's a great honour for someone so young. We're all proud of you.” Anna went on before she could be interrupted again. “The rest of you have received commendations and will be transferred to better ships. I'm proud of you all. That is all.”

“Captain, what about the DMC?” Wiseman asked.

“Disbanded, as far as I know.”

“The Mariner?” Toda asked.

“It wasn't mentioned.”

Moshapa finally asked the question to which they all wanted an answer. “What about you, Captain?”

“I've been ordered to report to Dorbel Cybernetics. I'm not sure what my assignment will be. I know you are all a little disappointed that we won't be doing more missions aboard The Mariner. When you come together as a group and face dangers together a certain bond develops that makes it hard to move on. But I remind you, none of us wanted to be assigned to the DMC or to serve on the Mariner. Through your hard work you have now all got what you wanted. I want you to set aside the emotion of leaving this vessel and realize that you are doing so for a better position. The ISC is all about moving on. Now, I have some work to see to. Dismissed.”

Anna walked quickly away and hid in her quarters. She dreaded and yet needed Fairfax to follow her and insist on knowing how Anna felt. But Fairfax didn't come. No one did. Anna did her paperwork and then went to bed. She didn't sleep. It was a very long night and Fairfax never did turn in.

The next morning, Anna got up groggy and tired. She showered and dressed. They would go ahead with the repairs to the Mariner. Whatever happened to her, Anna wanted to leave her ship in good shape. She owed the Mariner that for bringing them all home safely. Gathering her resolve, she made her way to the galley to get breakfast anticipating that crew members would be needing to question and debate with her today now that they'd had time to think things over.

The only one in the common room was Moshapa.

“Good morning, Justice. Have you seen Crewman Fairfax? She didn't come to her quarters last night as far as I know.”

“I gave her and Toda permission for twenty-four hour shore leave. It seems a Gigantean Flarmorr class Star Ship is in the neighbourhood and Toda wanted Fairfax to see it.”

“Oh.” Anna felt the bitterness of jealousy and disappointment and pushed it from her mind. Fairfax needed to get on with her life. It was a good thing they hadn't got more deeply involved. Anna wasn't going anywhere but back to the lab where she was cloned.

“Admiral Hideaki Ito is aboard the Gigantean ship. He hitched a ride from ISC Command.”

“Admiral of the Fleet Ito? What would he be doing out here?”

“Seeing you. The orders arrived about half an hour ago. You are to report to The Adventurer's ready room at 0900.”

Anna looked at her watch. “That doesn't give me much time. When Toda and Fairfax get back I want them working on repairs. The rest of you, I want working on the data we've collected while we are still all together to collaborate easily.”

“Aye, aye, Captain.”

Anna hurried off to change into her dress uniform. What the hell is going on? Admiral Ito is a major player at ISC. I must be in far more trouble than I realized .

Anna changed quickly and left The Mariner for the shuttle bays aboard The Explorer. To her surprise she found Captain Garcia in his dress uniform waiting there.

“I've been ordered to report to The Adventurer too.”

Anna frowned. “This isn't your problem. I'll make that quite clear that The Mariner was acting alone.”

“Hey, I don't mind a little grief to have my name associated with one of the biggest finds in years,” Garcia joked. “Have you ever met Admiral Ito before?”

“No.”

“I went to a lecture he gave once. I was so far back I almost needed field glasses to see him. The guy is a legend.”

“Yeah.” Garcia was talking because he was nervous, Anna realized. She was finding it hard though to hold up her end of the conversation as fear gnawed at her gut. She didn't want to go back to Dorbel.

They boarded a shuttle and waited for the chamber to depressurize and for the bay doors to open, slowly feeling the effects of weightlessness. The craft lifted gently and they felt the craft effortlessly glide out into open space.

With a pilot and co-pilot on board, neither Captain spoke. There were enough rumours already. The shuttle made its way over to The Adventurer. The Goddard class ship was a huge craft, but next to the Gigantean Flarmorr class vessel even she looked small. Anna checked the name of the Gigantean craft. It was the Todmara, their Flag Ship. Was Fairfax on it now?

Once the docking and pressurizing process had taken place, and the artificial gravity activated, a land crew came out to cover the jets and chock the landing gear. The co-pilot moved back, opened up the hatch and lowered the stairs.

Anna and Garcia exchanged looks. This was it. Anna stepped out first to find an escort waiting this time.

“Captain Cyborn? Captain Garcia? I'm Midshipman Ellis. If you'll follow me, Admirals Ito and Grover are waiting.”

They walked through the passages of The Adventurer to Captain Taylor's office. This time it was not a junior officer on the desk but Lt. Commander Piet De Groot, Taylor's First Officer.

“Lt. Commander De Groot, this is Captain Cyborn and Captain Garcia.” They exchanges salutes and then handshakes.

“Right this way,” De Groot said. He led them into the Ready Room. Standing around talking were Admiral Ito, Vice-Admiral Grover, Captain Taylor and a very important looking Gigantean whom Anna didn't recognize. The two of them came to attention and saluted.

“As you were,”said Ito. “Sit down.” They all gathered around the table, the junior officers waiting for the senior officers to be seated first. Then Anna and Garcia sat down. It was Admiral Ito who did the talking.

“Captain Cyborn, Captain Garcia, might I present His Royal Highness Prince Altoda of the Gigantean Royal family and one of the seven Supreme Counsellors of the ISC Civilian Commission.”

“Your Highness,” Anna and Garcia said together.

“This is not an official enquiry. Nor have you been charged with any misdemeanour. Quite to the contrary, tThe Mariner has had a very successful mission. However, Vice-Admiral Grover has expressed some concerns that I would like to discuss with you and Captain Garcia.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Captain Garcia, were you assigned as the Senior officer?”

“Yes sir.”

“And given orders that you were to give to Captain Cyborn when you had arrived at your destination?”

“Yes sir.”

“Could you outline those orders to us now.”

“I informed Captain Cyborn that her crew was to take The Mariner and map and analyze the structure of the dark matter phenomenon identified on our space charts as 107289. I told her that she was to rendezvous with The Explorer in thirty days time.”

“Did you stay in touch with The Mariner during that month, Captain Garcia?”

“No sir. I had been ordered to participate in manoeuvres in CDG sector and return to pick up the Mariner.”

“And was The Mariner there when you returned?”

“Yes sir.”

“Thank you, Captain Garcia. You can wait outside.”

Garcia got up and looked fleetingly at Anna with worried eyes before he came to attention. He saluted and left.

“Captain Cyborn, you made the decision to go into the dark matter?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Why?”

“Vice-Admiral Grover had formed a special unit, the DMC, to study and explore dark matter. He was farsighted enough to realize that dark matter areas are virtually unexplored and that it would take a specialized group in a small craft to do any real exploration. My crew and I were well aware that probes had done a pretty good job of mapping the area and analyzing its exterior features. I felt that for our assignment to have any meaning at all we needed to explore within the dark matter mass.”

“You decided.”

“Yes, sir.”

Grover interrupted, slamming his fist against the arm of his chair. “That's just it, Admiral Ito. Cyborn here makes decisions like a human. This is artificial intelligence that we simply can't trust.”

Anna's anger boiled inside her but she gritted her teeth and remained calm. Her only chance of coming out of this with any sort of dignity was to argue quietly and intelligently.

“I beg your pardon, sir. I am human. I might not have been born, but I have a human mother and I have far more human structure than I do cyborg implants. My intelligence, reasoning and emotions are human and I draw on human experiences. I'm not an artificial life form.”

“Come on, Cyborn, you have cyborg implants in your brain.”

“Yes, sir. They increase my memory and allow me to reason quickly. They do not take away from my human qualities. They enhance them.”

Admiral Ito leaned back in his seat and considered. “So the real issue here is not whether Captain Cyborn disobeyed orders but whether she has the right to command with the discretion of a human or if she, as a cyborg, should have been programmed to always follow orders.”

“As a result of Cyborn's decision to enter the dark matter, several dangerous incidents occurred that could have easily resulted in the loss of the human crew and their vessel,” argued Grover.

“Admiral Ito, I discussed our options with the crew and they were all willing to enter the dark mass knowing the risks involved. Based on experience and research I feel I made the choice that any officer in my place would have made. For our unit to have any credibility at all we need to explore within dark matter masses. I think our first mission has proven that there is a lot to be gained from doing so. The DMC is a small specialized group with a very specific mandate. We know that our work can be high risk. We accept that.”

“She's forming her own elitist group outside the parameters of the ISC.”

Anna's temper snapped. “No, sir. You formed the group as a dumping ground for a few individuals that you thought were misfits. You didn't feel we were fit to wear the ISC uniform. We can't be blamed for proving that we aren't weak links but strong members of the DMC you formed.”

“Admiral Ito. Cyborn is well out of line!”

“If I might interject,” came the soft voice of Prince Altoda. “This issue seems to me to be irrelevant. For whatever reasons, Anna Cyborn was accepted into officer training at ISC. She did outstandingly well. I have done some informal interviews and have discovered that her crew consider her an outstanding leader. They used words like intelligent, resourceful, brave, fair, and so on, to describe her. Are these qualities not what we are looking for in our officers? But the word that they used the most was human. They reinforced many times that their captain was a fine human being. Whether Captain Cyborn's cybernetics make her more machine than human is of no importance, in the Council's opinion. Her crew accepts her as human, and respect and trust her to lead.”

“It sets a very dangerous precedent. If we grant one cyborg freedom of choice then others might feel they should have these rights.”

“You used the word feel, Admiral Grover. How can a cyborg feel? It can't. Only living things feel. Captain Cyborn feels. Therefore, although she is not human in all the many definitions of the word, she certainly functions in a human manner.”

Admiral Ito nodded. “I think Prince Altoda has made a valid point.”

Grover clamped his jaw shut and made no comment.

Prince Altoda went on. “There is another issue of far more importance to the Gigantean nation. Toda was our first citizen to be accepted by the ISC. We would not be pleased to find he has not been assigned to a post of some importance. The Admiral's idea of a small group of hand picked individuals to explore the dark matter of space seems to us to be an excellent one. Our government would be most distressed to find that the formation of this group was a farce and their mission was conducted by a renegade cyborg. This would strain our relationship with your planet greatly.”

Ito quickly responded. “The ISC recognizes that no matter what the reasons behind the decision to form the DMC, it was an excellent idea. We also acknowledge that The Mariner and her crew has done an exemplary job. They have been rewarded accordingly.”

“Captain Cyborn hasn't. Instead, she has been subject to what we feel is discrimination. The Gigantean nation is one of extreme tolerance. We also have a high respect and regard for machines that we feel are extensions of our very existence. We would be uncomfortable dealing with a people who degrade what we value highly.”

Admiral Ito nodded. “I understand your concern, Prince Altoda. I have to admit that within our cultures there is still a fear of artificial intelligence. We have also struggled with cultural misunderstanding between our nations. We have overcome many of these issues over the years. That said, we have many things we can learn from the Gigantean people. Vice-Admiral Grover, how do you feel about this issue?”

Anna saw Grover straighten in his chair. He might be narrow and bigoted in his views but he knew his duty and would do it.

“Prince Altoda has made me see that there is another side to this issue that I hadn't considered. I think a lot of my concerns have been addressed.”

“Good. Captain Cyborn, I here by award you the rank of Commodore.”

“Thank you, sir,” Anna managed to get out. She had prepared herself for the worst, but not for a better situation. Shock washed through her.

“This pleases the Gigantean nation. Now that this misunderstanding has been resolved I think I'm free to discuss another issue that has caused some excitement within a select element of my planet. Lieutenant Toda has submitted plans for a new class of exploration ship. Normally, one so young would not be in a position to do so on our world for we have many outstanding engineers and designers. His status as our only member of the ISC and his part in the success of The Mariner's first exploration, however, has won him some recognition. His design for a small, fast craft that can explore anomalies seems sound and elegant. It is the intention of the Gigantean Authority to build two of these craft to join the ISC's Dark Matter Corp Mariner. Naturally, we hope that Commodore Cyborn would head this small fleet with Captain Moshapa commanding one of the crafts. Toda has requested that this new breed of Gigantean craft be known as the Cyborn class in honour of his commanding officer. This wish we have granted.”

“Thank you, Your Highness. I'm deeply honoured.” Anna managed to get out. She had gone from shocked to stunned by the sudden turn of events. All she wanted to do was escape this room, hug Fairfax and shake Toda's hand.

Even Admiral Ito seemed taken back by the Prince's news. He too managed to stammer a reply. “This is indeed very generous of the Gigantean people, Your Highness. The ISC will be overwhelmed by this gift.”

“The new DMC fleet will need a mother ship. I understand that Captain Garcia and his crew have formed a tight bond with the members of the DMC. If The Explorer were to continue in its role as support craft to the DMC, I think the Gigantean Authority could see fit to renovate this Galaxy class vessel to make it suitable to support the exploration and research of the DMC.”

Anna watched the change in the attitude of her superior officers. At first, Grover had been aggressive and determined and Ito confident and in control. Now, Grover looked like he'd just swallowed poison and Ito was on the defensive doing damage control. Prince Altoda was the man in charge and much to Anna's surprise, he was bargaining for everything that the DMC could want. She knew if she could see her own features they would reflect her confused feelings. She felt well out of her league here with no idea what was hjappening.

Prince Altoda continued. “Excellent. We will leave it to our various departments then to work out the details. Vice-Admiral Grover, although we originally disagreed on a few points, I want you to know that the Gigantean council appreciates your brilliant idea to form the DMC. I hope we can look forward to more mutual understanding and cooperation in the future.”

“I do too, sir.”

“Admiral Ito, my thanks on behalf of the Gigantean nation. The formation of the DMC with a Gigantean as one of the original members and the designer of this new fleet has raised our participation and status within the ISC. This is something that we have desired.”

“Naturally, the ISC appreciates Gigantean's support and cooperation.”

“Commodore Cyborn, I'm sure you are a little overwhelmed by all this power politics associated with your creative, if questionable, mission. You are young and have limited experience to have achieved the rank and position that you have been awarded today. I'm sure the helpful guidance of your excellent senior officers will be of significant help to you. A great responsibility has been placed on your shoulders. Do not let the Gigantean nation down.”

“My crew and I will do our very best to live up to the goals of the DMC and the ISC.”

“This would be wise.” Prince Altoda stood and the others scrambled to their feet. “Now I must be going. It has been, as always, a very productive meeting of minds. Good day.”

“Good day, Your Highness.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Prince Altoda swept from the room leaving the three officers standing at the table. For a moment there was silence, then Admiral Ito laughed.

“Admiral Grover, we've been outflanked and outmanoeuvred by one of the best.”

“Yes, sir.”

Admiral Ito's eyes turned to Anna. “You, Commodore, have been handed a hell of a prize. Make sure you don't drop the ball or I'll have your ass in a sling.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Dismissed.”

Anna came to attention, saluted and made a fast retreat. Out in the hall she saw Lieutenant Toda talking to Prince Altoda. The Prince patted Toda on the shoulder and was gone. Toda turned, saw Anna, and came to attention. Anna returned his salute.

“Commodore, let me be the first to express my congratulations,” he said in his soft voice. “My, isn't it exciting. I had no idea that my interspace ethermail to my uncle would result in such amazing developments. Dear me, I can't wait to see my Cyborn design being constructed. It will be so much fun. You can't imagine what an honour this is for me. This simply doesn't happen on my planet until you have been a design engineer for years.”

Anna smiled. “I think the DMC provided your people with a foot in the door with the ISC. They no longer just build craft for the ISC, they design them and support their own small fleet. I wasn't aware, Lieutenant Toda, that you had such significant players in your family.”

“Oh my, you won't tell anyone will you? I just want to be one of the crew not a Prince of the house of Toda.”

“Agreed. But I'm grateful, Toda, for your family's intervention and your support and help. You have saved me from a terrible fate. This is the second time I'm indebted to you.”

Toda blushed and looked uneasy. “I can't take credit, Commodore. My uncle used the information in my ethermail to his own advantage. This time it benefited us. It might not always. Politics is a jungle even in space.”

“I'm sure any downside associated with your position in the house of Toda will be balanced by the positive. I think we need to get back to The Explorer and spread the good news, don't you?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Where's Crewman Fairfax? I thought she was with you.”

Again Toda looked uneasy. “I didn't want her to know about my association with Prince Altoda so I sent her back with Captain Garcia. I don't think she was very happy with me. She's very close to you.”

It was Anna's turn to blush. “Crewman Fairfax is a good and loyal member of the crew.”

“Yes, sir.”

 

Nature has a Way of Taking Control

 

Anna and Lt. Toda found the rest of the crew waiting outside The Mariner in the cargo bay. They all looked worried and stressed. Anna smiled. They were a fine crew and their loyalty to her was a real gift.

“Everything is going to be okay thanks to the Giganteans. They wanted a more active role in the ISC and have achieved that by supporting the DMC. We've become their pet project. I just hope we can live up to their high expectations. The Gigantean Council has committed to building two more exploration craft for the DMC and to renovating The Explorer as our base ship. They have really gone to bat for us.”

Her crew interrupted with excited remarks and cheers. Toda, however, added a word of caution,

“Oh dear, I'm afraid they do have their own political agenda.”

“We'll manage, Toda,” Anna reassured him.

“How about you, Captain?” Crewman Fairfax asked.

Anna couldn't prevent the grin of relief. “I'm not going to Dorbel. To get out of a sticky political situation, the ISC had to raise my rank to Commodore and put me in charge of the DMC fleet.”

“You'll still be commanding us, won't you, sir?”

“Yes.”

This brought cheers and congratulations from the group which ended with a DMC chant of “Commodore Cyborn, Commodore Cyborn, Commodore Cyborn!”

Anna blushed and laughed. “Okay, okay, enough. We need to get back on track. Lieutenant Toda, The Mariner is going to have to serve us for many missions yet. You and Crewman Fairfax need to get back to work on her. The rest of you, I want to see significant progress on your research projects by the end of the week. I need to go and have a word with Captain Garcia. I want everyone in the common room at 1800 hours for dinner. I'll provide it.”

“Aye, aye, Commodore.”

Fairfax would have stayed behind and talked but Anna didn't give her the chance. She turned and strode off. She knew if she so much as looked at Fairfax, she'd have been in her arms immediately. Anna hadn't realized until recently that in moments of emotion nearness to someone you care about is an overpowering need.

Anna found Captain Garcia in his quarters.

“Anna! Come in. Come in. What happened? I've been worried.”

“Hi, Carlos. First, everything is all right. In fact, its more than all right. But let me start from the beginning. I thought I was in big trouble. Grover wanted me sent back to Dorbel because I was a renegade cyborg that if allowed freedoms would organize the others to revolt.”

“Oh for God's sakes. That's twentieth century thinking and then only in science fiction.”

Anna shrugged. “Admiral Ito was more reasonable but I still wasn't sure I was going to keep my position until Prince Altoda spoke up. He wasn't going to allow the DMC to be seen as a group of misfits or allow it to be disbanded because the only Gigantean in the ISC was a member. He made it quite clear that his nation would be pretty upset if that was what was going to happen.”

“Yes!”

“Then he had this battle of wits with Grover over whether or not I was human and argued that I was and that Grover needed to have a greater respect for me and machines if he was going to do business with the Giganteans.”

“Damn! I'd have loved to have been there to see Grover taken down a peg or two.”

“The best is yet to be told, Carlos. By now I was pretty angry with Grover and just sitting there grinding my teeth watching the big boys play power politics with my life.”

“Shit.”

“I'll say. Anyway, once it was clear to everyone that the Prince had won the day, he really dropped a bombshell. Seems that Lieutenant Toda had submitted plans for a new craft for the DMC. The Gigantean Authority realized that such a design could be used to grab a bigger piece of the action. They have agreed to build two of them to create a small fleet for the DMC.”

“Holy shit! You came up roses, Cyborn.”

“He also suggested that The Explorer could be overhauled and become the mother ship for the DMC. How would you feel about that?”

“You're kidding?”

“No, I'm not.”

“Anna that would be wonderful. I'd get the chance to be with you on the cutting edge of things instead of doing manoeuvres in some empty area of space.”

“Carlos, you had reservations about me...”

Garcia waved his hand. “That was then, this is now. During Officer's Training, I knew you more by reputation. I know you now as a person. I saw how you built up a service out of nothing, and I saw the loyalty of your crew and I sure as hell saw the results of your mission. I'm in your corner, Anna.”

Anna smiled. “Thanks, Carlos.” They shook hands.

Anna spent the afternoon and evening with Carlos, working and celebrating. She told herself it was so they could establish a working relationship between the two ships and develop some ideas of what crew requirements they would need. The reality was that she wasn't ready to spend time alone with Fairfax.

Having had more than her quota of wine, Anna headed back to her ship, tired and drained from the day's roller coaster ride of emotions. She wearily climbed aboard and into the gloom of the common room. This late at night only the equipment lights were on. Little squares and circles of red, blue and green shone like stars about the room. Anna moved to the hall and opened the hatch first on the left and slipped quietly into her quarters. Fairfax wasn't there.

Relief flooded over Anna followed by concern, and then jealousy. Where was Fairfax?

Anna didn't sleep well. Her stomach was upset from the wine and she had a stress headache. She woke in the early morning with a dry, nasty taste in her mouth and a bad hangover. Anna showered and donned her duty jumpsuit and headed for the gallery. She needed a coffee badly. Chief Lai was just in the process of filling a coffee mug when she saw Anne. Lai passed Anna the cup.

“Good morning, Commodore. It looks like you need this more than me.”

“I drank too much wine last night. I don't drink much. It puts my cybernetic parts out of sync with my body that is no longer working at its normal level.”

“Do you need a check-up?”

“No, I'm okay. Just paying for a poor decision.”

“If I'd gone through what you have over the last few days, Commodore, I'd still be drunk.”

Anna smiled, a laugh being too risky an undertaking with her headache. “Where is everyone?”

“Commander Moshapa has allowed us twelve-hour shore leaves while we are on board. We're on duty here from eight to eight only. Some of the crew have opted for quarters on board The Explorer. Adam, Lieutenant Wiseman, has permission to stay aboard The Explorer while we are in dock. He's overseeing expansion of the science lab and doing his own research there. I'm spending a lot of time with the doctor aboard The Explorer. We're working together on developing better methods for protecting the crew from the effects of radiation. Lieutenant Barron is doing research on particle theory to understand gas flow better and is in the process of improving our communication system, which she tells me is little better than two cans with a string. Crewman Sur is aboard. He's studying navigation skills because he said Fairfax has been stolen from him by Toda. Also, he's working on a paper to submit to ISC for the formation of ecological protected zones in space. Jill, I mean Crewman Fairfax, is staying with a friend aboard The Explorer but she's to be back within the hour to help Lieutenant Toda with repairs. Toda is back in engineering explaining to The Mariner how he's going to make her more beautiful and powerful.”

Anna tried a nod and thought better of it. “Where's Commander Moshapa?”

“He's on the bridge updating the data files.”

Anna thought about going to the bridge, reconsidered and sat down at the table instead.

“Let me making you some dry toast, sir. It will help settle your stomach.”

“Thanks. Chief Barron?”

“Yes, Commodore?”

Anna sat for a bit thinking things over. “Chief, I've changed my mind. I'd like to talk to you about a medical problem.”

Chief Lai came over immediately and sat down beside Anna. “If it's anything serious, I should call Doctor Albin Bohninski on The Explorer and probably Toda, too.”

“No, it's not a physical problem. This is... delicate.”

“I'm the medical personnel on board. Anything you say to me, Commodore, is confidential.”

Anna chewed on her lip for a minute. Then she plunged ahead. “I'm having feelings.”

Sue smiled. “Oh, you mean you and Jill.”

Anna turned red. “She talked to you about it?”

“Of course not, but it's obvious there is an attraction there. I noticed and I'm sure Evmon has. Probably not the guys. They have to be hit over the head before they clue into those sorts of things.”

“It would be a major infraction of the rules if I got involved with her.”

“Yes.”

“If it got out a cyborg was having feelings it would cause a hell of an uproar.”

“You're not a cyborg.”

“No, but many people believe I am, including the regional Vice-Admiral. It would be just the ammo he needs to use against me. Worse than that, Jill could be exposed to some really nasty comments about having a relationship with a cyborg.”

“Yes.”

“Is there anything you could give me?”

“I can give you pills to suppress your sexual urge but there is no cure for love. Do you know how Jill feels about you?”

“She feels an attraction, too.”

“You'll need to bunk separately.”

Anna groaned.

“There's no other way unless one of you wants to leave the service. It still wouldn't help much because one of you would always be away.”

Anna nodded. “I can put off re-allocating accommodations for a while. At least until our next mission.”

“If you want, but I recommend sooner rather than later. Nature has a way of taking control. Come and see me anytime you need to talk to someone. It can help.”

“Thanks, Chief.”

Crewman Farifax came aboard a few minutes later. She saluted Anna, said hello to Sue and disappeared into her quarters. Anna got up and followed. Had she looked behind her she would have seen Chief Lai shake her head in disbelief and smile.

Anna closed the hatch. “Who are you staying with on The Explorer?”

“My private life is not your concern, Commodore.”

“Jill, for God's sake.”

“Commodore, I agreed to stay a way from you so as not to jeopardize your career. I did not promise to give up living.”

“I thought you cared about me.”

Jill wheeled on Anna and got in her face. “Cared? I was worried sick. I'd have done anything to save you from having to go back to Dorbel because I know how scared you are of that. And when you got back from your big meeting you made a general announcement and walked away. You wouldn't even look at me.”

“Jill we agreed...”

“Sure we did. So why does it matter to you where I sleep?” Jill poked Anna in the chest. “Is your heart real or cybernetic?”

“Cybernetic.”

“That explains it. If you'll excuse me, Commodore, I have work to get done in Engineering.” Jill snatched up her tool pouch and stormed out.

If Jill had meant her words to hurt she'd succeed. The rejection was a painful blow to Anna. She was a fool to think a human could love her. How could anyone love someone without a heart? Humans talked all the time about the love in their hearts. Anna didn't understand this. It was just a pump. It wasn't who she was. Couldn't Jill see that?

For the second time in twenty-four hours, Anna was too shocked to think or move. Tears slowly rolled down her face. She couldn't remember the last time she'd cried. She couldn't remember crying after the painful cybernetic operations as a child. She had not cried when she'd been taken from the lab and stuck with strangers in a group home. She had not cried when she couldn't make friends or when she was bullied or ridiculed for being a cyborg. She hadn't even cried over the bitter disappointment when her mother hadn't seen her as a daughter but only a successful clone. But she was crying now because she'd thought she'd found the one thing that she'd never had, love, and she'd lost it so easily.

The hatch door opened with a jerk. Anna tried to wipe away the tears. The hatch slammed shut again and Jill was in her arms.

“Oh, Anna, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to say those things. I was just so angry and hurt. No, I'm not seeing anyone else. I stayed with an old school friend because it was just too painful to be here when you wouldn't look at me. Anna, I'm sorry!”

Anna held on tight, tears rolling freely now down her face. “I'm sorry, too. I couldn't handle my emotions so I ran away. I do know what love is. The heart is just a pump. I do feel. I'm not inhuman,” she choked out.

“Oh God, I know that. I know that better than anyone. Please forgive me. Please. I care so much for you.”

Anna pulled back and wiped her eyes. “Do you?”

“Yes.”

“I could reallocate the rooms if this is too hard.”

“No!”

“I don't know how to handle what I'm feeling. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you.”

“Please kiss me. I want to know you care as much about me as I do you.”

Anna did. In fact, she pulled Jill onto her bunk and they did a good deal of kissing and touching.

“We can be discreet,” Jill said, kissing Anna's neck right where the vein throbbed with need.

“Chief has all ready guessed and she thinks Barron has noticed, too.”

“The crew won't talk.”

“Jill, I'm beyond caring. I know this is wrong but I can't stop. The attraction is too great.”

“I know. I feel the same way. We'll make it work somehow.”

Anna sat up and looked down at Jill. “About sex, I don't know...I mean I've never...”

Jill pulled Anna down to her and kissed her softly. “I haven't had much experience myself but I think these things just come naturally if you give them time.”

Anna laughed softly. “The Chief did tell me that nature has a way of taking control.”

Jill smiled. “Look at you. Commodore of your own fleet after your first mission. Head of a new service and co-discoverer of the Dark Mariner Phenomena. My commanding officer and my girlfriend. I'm the luckiest woman in the world.”

“No, I am. I never thought anyone could care about me.”

“We all care about you, but I love you.”

“Then I am the luckiest woman in the world.”

 

 

It's All About Believing

 

Several days later, Anna stood before her crew in the common room. Each wore the DMC dress uniform. They had been invited to a social gathering aboard The Todmara, the Gigantean vessel.

“I think I don't need to say that I need you on your best behaviour. They might have had their own agenda but the DMC is deeply indebted to the Giganteans for pulling our bacon from the fire. Let's make them proud. Before we leave, I have some announcements to make. The Explorer will be taking us back to the Gagarin Star Port for some training. While that is going on, The Explorer will be refitted. Lieutenant Wiseman, you'll be meeting several scientists there from ISC's main research facility who want to pick your brain. Chief, I've arranged for you to take some advanced medical instruction under Doctor Chan. He's the best when it comes to understanding medical issues related to deep space travel. Crewman Sur, you are enrolled in a navigation course and Crewman Fairfax you'll start your degree in engineering. Sub Lieutenant Barron, you'll be stationed aboard The Mariner to oversee the new communication network that we're getting and you'll be in command of the ship in my absence. Lieutenant Toda will not being flying back with us. He will remain aboard The Todmara to work with engineers on the designs for our new craft. He'll join us later. Commander Moshapa will be travelling to ISC to start his officer certification program and Captain Garcia and I will be returning on the first flight to ISC Command for debriefing and to receive our orders on our next mission.

“We'll all be going our separate ways for the next few months but I want you all to remember that you wear the elite uniform of the Dark Matter Corps. Live up to our name and traditions and remember that we are more than a service, we are a family.”

Anna's eyes briefly fell on Fairfax. It would be hard to be apart when their relationship was so young. She and Jill had discussed it long into the night. What they did know was that there was no going back. No matter the consequences, they were committed to a relationship. As Jill had told her between kisses, it was all about believing in their love, in the DMC, and in the future.

 

 

Dark Matter Enemy: Mission 2

Planet Life and Horses

 

Anna Cybon held on to Captain Garcia and took a wobbly step, then another. The two of them staggered forward like Saturday night drunks. She had never been on Earth before. Even in the elasticized body suit she wore, she found it hard to adjust to the force of gravity. The craft and space stations where she had lived had artificial gravity but the force generally was only about 75 percent of Earth's gravity. Muscles that used to respond with ease struggled to function on Earth. The air too smelled different. Empty. It wasn't a kaleidoscope of smells layered on top of each other. It smelt fresh like air from a pressurized tank. Only now and then would Anna catch a whiff of wet earth or vegetation, like passing the door of a hydroponic centre.

“Steady as she goes, Commodore.”

“I don't like this, Carlos. How long does it take to adjust?”

“A few weeks. That's why they always give you leave time when you first arrive so you can stumble about like a chicken with its head cut off.”

“Lovely, image. I can't get my balance.”

“It's an inner ear thing. Don't let anyone hug you or pat you on the back, Anna, or you'll topple over. Also expect indigestion, backaches, headaches and the trots for the first week.”

“And people like Earth?”

“It's home, Anna.”

“My home was a test tube and a science lab on board the Dorbel Space Station.”

Carlos laughed. “I can't wait to see you with my family. They are going to have so much fun with you.”

Anna knew that Captain Carlos Garcia had grown up in rural New Mexico where his family raised cattle close to Native American land. Anna had no family or friends on Earth, and was glad that Carlos had invited her to stay with them until they had to report to the International Space Command Headquarters or ISC. She wondered if he'd told his family that she was clone-cyborg. She hoped not. She didn't want anyone feeling awkward. Once they got to know her, then they could be told. Anna smiled. She suspected the fun-loving Carlos was going to have some fun watching Anna, the space child, adjust to his noisy, happy, extended, ranch family.

They spent three days at the Officer Quarters at Star Base One which had once been the Cape Canaveral Space Centre centuries ago. Despite sore muscles, Anna and Carlos visited the Astronaut Hall of Fame which covered several acres and displayed some of the original bell-shaped space craft barely big enough for one person. They shook their heads in disbelief at the risks and discomfort early astronauts endured and how little they knew about space.

“We've come a long way, Carlos.”

“For sure. Still, there was an excitement in those early days of being on the edge. Now we just live in a floating hotel in empty space. That's why I'm so grateful that I'm going to be associated with the Dark Matter Corps. You guys are pushing the envelope exploring dark matter.”

“Thanks to the Giganteans. We came very close to being disbanded.”

“No way. Once you found that neutron star forming inside that mass of dark matter on your first mission there was no turning back. I think in the end the DMC would have survived although the members might have changed.”

“Yeah, I'd have been back in the test tube.”

Garcia reached out and gave Anna a gentle one-armed hug. “I'd have never let that happen.” He kissed her.

Anna pulled back immediately. “Carlos.”

“I like you, Anna.”

“I like you, too. You are part of the DMC family. But I'm a lesbian, Carlos.”

Carlos looked at her in stunned silence for a second. “Shit. Why do all the good ones have to be lesbians?”

Anna laughed. “Sorry.”

“I can live with the disappointment if you promise to remain my friend.”

Anna smiled at him. “I'd like that.” Anna knew Carlos meant this. They had come to like and respect each other though over the five months of their first mission.

“You know what this means, don't you?”

“No what?”

“Lesbians have to take their turn buying dinner.”

Anna laughed. “Pick the place and I'll treat you royally.”

The next day, they took the commuter turbo to New Mexico. They arrived two hours later in Santa Fe. Carlos's three brothers, Emanuel, Diego and Bronco, meet them. They howled and whistled at the sight of Anna in blue jeans and a white t-shirt, her tall, lean form evident. Carlos quickly pointed out she was Commodore Anna Cyborn, his commanding officer. The brothers immediately turned polite and gracious. Anna and Carlos stuffed their bags into the back of the dusty farm flier and climbed aboard.

Before they left the city limits Carlos called for a stop. He and Anna climbed out of the open box of the flier and disappeared into a variety store. Anna acquired sunglasses, a hat and an powerful sun screen, unused to living on a planet's surface. Being blond and blue eyed had only added to the sun sensitivity problem. Carlos explained to his brothers that he looked over and saw Anna squinting like an owl and slowly turning red. Anna was reseated under the shade of the cockpit canopy beside Carlos's brother, Emanuel. Then they were off again.

The flier floated over miles of sparse vegetation on a vast plain under a clear blue sky. Closer to the Garcia ranch, the terrain became more rugged with deep canyons, washes, buttes and mesas. The light played off the rock formations creating a stark but mystical landscape. Anna, whose world had always been metal walls and artificial light, was mesmerized by the topography. She asked a thousand questions which the brothers gladly answered, taking great pride in their home.

Carlos's parents and two sisters were waiting on the porch of their Hacienda when the flier landed in a cloud of dust. Garcia was hugged and kissed by his parents and sisters. His mother cried with happiness and his father beamed with pride.

“Mama, Papa, this is Commodore Anna Cyborn. Anna, my parents Maria and Juan and my sisters, Ahuic and Malinal.”

Anna went to offer her hand but before she could, Maria had wrapped her in a big hug and then passed her on to the others who hugged Anna, too. She would have toppled over if she hadn't been surrounded by laughter, chatter and arms which propelled her into the adobe home's cool interior. White adobe walls, huge beams, stone fire place and tiled floors greeted her as invitingly as the inhabitants. Everyone gathered in the kitchen around an old farm table worn smooth and golden with age. Then the food started to arrive, hot and spicy, washed down with cups of coffee.

Near sundown, after Carlos's married sisters and brother Emanuel had said their good byes and headed home to their own families, Carlos took Anna for a walk around the compound.

“What is that?” Anna asked, taking a step back.

Carlos laughed. “It's a horse. A quarter horse to be exact.”

“They're not wild are they? Do they bite?”

“We ride them and they rarely bite.”

“You ride them? Why?”

Carlos went over and stroked the animal's neck. “I guess because it's part of the ancient west but more than that it's a skill that is dying out. Used to be there were thousands of horses out here. Now there are probably only hundreds. We keep a dozen or so and we use them. There are still things today that a horse does better than any flier.”

Anna tentatively stroked the big animal. “I haven't seen many animals. Some caged birds, a few cats, and a dog once.”

“I'll teach you to ride in a few days when our balance is a bit better. Jill Fairfax is quite a rider, you know.”

Anna's head came around sharply. Did Carlos realize? No. He was just making conversation.

“Jill is from Earth?”

Carlos shook his head in disbelief. “You know Anna, even today, about fifty percent of the ISC are born on Earth or other planets.”

“I guess I never thought about it. My reality is space.”

“Most of your crew are planet born. Only Sue Lai was space born. Her people were scientists on Roland 3. Jill's mom and daddy owned a bull ranch close to the Colorado border. That Fairfax family had rodeo in their blood. Brookview farms produced legendary rodeo bulls.”

“They don't now?”

Carlos shook his head. “Not much rodeo anymore. It's a dying sport. Jill's daddy was killed by a bull and her mom sold up and moved them back east. I heard her mom remarried. I always figured Jill would come back here. I was real surprised to discover she was in the ISC.”

Anna tried to steer the conversation away from Jill. “Why didn't you come back?”

“I probably will someday. I'll buy myself some land and settled down. Right now this ranch is supporting enough people. Don't get me wrong, I love space, but this is home and I'll retire here.”

That night, Anna lay in a bed in a guest room in the Hacienda, finding it hard to sleep. The sounds and smells or a planet were so different from what she was used to. She missed the background hum of engines and the click of switches. Still, she had to admit planet life did have an unexpected emotional pull.

She sighed. She had thought she had made a good effort to get to know her crew after Chief Lai talked to her about making time to get to know her crew members. But Carlos knew more about her crew background than she did. He even knew more about Jill.

Anna missed Jill. She missed her a lot. She wondered how Jill was getting on in her engineering course.

Anna found her thoughts going down dark paths once again. She was a clone-cyborg. No cyborg had ever had sexual relations. How would people react if that knowledge became public? She'd be a curiosity, a side show. How would they react to Jill having an affair with what they thought was a machine? Ridicule. She had to keep reminding herself of those facts. No, it was too late. She was going to meet Jill on Solar Breeze Space Port for a week of holidays before reporting back for duty. You didn't meet someone at a space port resort like that for business reasons. Should she back out, make excuses? Yes. But she knew she was incapable of doing so. She wanted to be with Jill.

Garcia said, on any occasion that the subject was to arise, that teaching Anna to ride a horse had provided him and his brothers with the best laughs that they had ever had. Anna took this ribbing good naturedly, first, because she had to admit they had reason to laugh and, second, because they stuck with it and Anna did learn to ride if only at a beginner level. She was grateful to Garcia for sharing his family. They had accepted her as one of their own. She'd even taken to calling his parents Mama and Papa. She'd come to enjoy the wonders of planet life and she'd added to her list of wildlife, having seen pigs, chickens, sheep, antelope, and coyote during her stay.

 

The Darkness People and Fairy Myths

 

Two weeks later, the boys had taken them back to Santa Fe and they'd taken the commuter turbo to Houston, Texas and the International Space Command. That morning they met for breakfast wearing their dress uniforms.

Garcia swallowed a piece of bagel. “Don't you find it strange that we had to come all the way here to get our orders instead of getting them from Vice-Admiral Grover?”

“Strange and worrisome. First, I'm sure Grover won't like us getting orders that didn't come through him and that's just one more reason for him to dislike me. Second, whatever the orders are, they are damn sensitive if Grover can't be told.”

“You think we are getting a hot, top secret mission?”

“I think we are still an expendable force with a good name for delivering the goods no matter what. That means we'll get the jobs no one else wants.”

Garcia laughed. “That's another way of putting it.”

The International Space Command or ISC was a magnificent complex of buildings built on an ancient NASA site. Security was tight and Garcia and Anna had left early to make sure they would get through the security checks to get to their appointment on time.

Two hours later, they were sitting in the junior administrative assistant's office of the administrative assistant of Rear Admiral Jordan Cotton waiting to be taken to the Admiral of the Fleet, Hideaki Ito. They had been waiting an hour.

Finally, Junior Administrative Assistant Lieutenant Chuck Logan stood and spoke.

“This way please, Commodore, Captain.”

Anna and Carlos Garcia followed in his wake. They were handed off to the administrative assistant, Captain Grace Maasi, who told them to sit down and wait. Three quarters of an hour later, she led them into the office of Rear Admiral Cotton. Anna and Carlos came to attention.

Cotton came over and stood in front of Anna looking at her as he might a specimen in a bottle. Then he turned and addressed Carlos.

“As you were. I guess you're wondering what the hell you are doing here.”

“No, sir. I know what I'm doing here, sir. I'm assisting Commodore Cyborn. I'm sure Commodore Cyborn would like to know why she has been brought here.”

Anna tried not to laugh. Carlos was one brave and loyal friend. Cold grey eyes turned to look at her again.

“I've never seen a cyborg close up before.”

“I'm 60-percent cloned human, sir.”

“I know what you are. Some damn unnatural crossbreed. They should have closed Dorbel down well before their cyborg research became known.”

“Rear-Admiral Cotton...”

“That is all, Captain.” Anna said quietly, not allowing Carlos to come to her defence. “Rear-Admiral, I'm a member of the ISC Dark Matter Corps in good standing and have been accepted by my crew and colleagues as human. I am not a machine and will not be treated as one.”

“To hell you won't.”

“No, to hell she won't. I have learned that.” All three officers snapped to attention as Admiral Ito entered carrying a small, black brief case. “That will be all Rear Admiral Cotton. I won't be needing you.”

Cotton looked surprised, saluted, and left the room.

“Sit down.”

Anna and Carlos did so. Admiral Ito took his time opening his briefcase and sorting papers before he sat down at the table.

“I'm sorry you have been kept waiting. I was checking the security levels of the DMC members. With the exception of Crewman Fairfax, you all check out for this mission.”

Anna looked up in surprise. “Fairfax is a respected member of my crew. Twice on our last mission she saved lives with her actions. I have and would trust her with my life.”

“I appreciate your loyalty, Commodore. But Crewman Fairfax has a checkered past. Her psychological profile indicates that she has some deep-seated anger and insecurity due to sexual abuse, and this mission is far too sensitive to risk a weak link.”

Anna felt the heat raising in her face and her stomach tie in a knot. She didn't know that Jill had been sexually abused and she didn't like that Ito had mentioned it in front of Carlos. It was private but not so private that Jill shouldn't have shared this information with her, she felt.

“Commodore Cyborn, did you hear me?”

“Sir?”

“Crewman Fairfax can't go on this mission.”

Anna swallowed. “We are a tightly knit group, sir. Leaving Fairfax behind will be bad for morale, and I feel unnecessary.”

“Captain Garcia, I understand you have known Crewman Fairfax longer. Your opinion?”

“I knew her family years ago. I know nothing of her adult past before she joined the DMC, but like Commodore Cyborn, I have full confidence in Crewman Fairfax. It's not what she did before she joined up that matters, it's what she's done since. She's a credit to the uniform.”

Ito considered this information, features neutral. “Very well. I'll see that Fairfax gets the necessary security clearance, but Cyborn you are responsible for her. You'd better be right about her.”

“Yes, sir.”

That decided, Ito went on with the briefing. “There is a dark matter mass in section 4876. It's massive. Whatever goes in hasn't come out. We've lost four probes and a few months ago, we lost a scout ship that entered the mass by accident due to an navigation error. I'm going to play for you their last communication.”

Admiral Ito pressed a switch on a small digital bank that he pulled from his briefcase, made a selection and turned the volume up.

“Lieutenant Braun aboard the Scout Ship 782 reporting at 27940.56 relative space time. We have on our screen what we feel might be a massive alien object rather than a dark mass formation. We have hailed them but have had no response. The mass is like nothing I have seen before. As large as...”

Ito switched off the mechanism. “That's it.”

“It doesn't tell us much.” Anna observed.

“No it doesn't. Our anthropology team, however, tells us that the intelligent life in the area have all sorts of legends about the people from the darkness. The cultures in that area are pre-space travel so the legends are pretty unusual. But the basic plot, I take it, is that they have seen objects coming from an area of the night sky that is dark. Some legends talk about people disappearing. ISC feels there could be a planet hidden in that area of dark matter with intelligent life capable of space travel. If so, they have one of our scout ships and three of our people. We don't leave our people behind. You are to find out what the hell is going on in there. Rescue our people if they are alive, or find out what happened to them. Also, bringing back that scout ship if it can be done. You are to do so in a manner that builds an alliance with this unknown species, if at all possible. And you are to do so with your mouths shut. We don't want any panic in that region that might cause political instability. I remind you of the Darean Incident. That is not to happen.”

“Understood, sir.”

“Good. We understand each other, that whatever happens out there remains secret until such time as ISC feels it is safe to announce the discovery of another species.”

“Yes, sir.”

“No written orders will be given to you. Electronic passes to enter section 4876 will be issued. Good luck.”

“Thank you, sir.” Admiral Ito stood and so did Anna and Carlos, who remained at attention until Ito had swept from the room.

Carlos looked at Anna. “What's the Darean Incident?”

“I had to search my data banks. It happened a long time ago. A pre-space society was told by an undercover ISC officer that there was an advanced race living nearby. A few months later, there was a bad earthquake on the planet and the rumour got going that it was caused by the aliens. It led to massive rioting and a lot of innocent strangers were killed, including two ISC anthropology officers who had been working undercover in the area. I guess the anthropology department must have some real concerns about how the planet folk would react if contact was made.”

“Still seems an overreaction.”

Anna nodded. “I don't think we've been told the whole story.”

“So what now?”

“We'll go and talk to some anthropologists about the mythologies in section 4876.”

After being directed to the Planetary Anthropology and Sociology Research Centre, they followed signs to a small office on the third floor that was the space occupied by Dr. Holmes Leslie. Leslie was short like most Vultarians with stuck-out, round ears and large blue eyes. She wore her light brown, thick hair in the traditional Vultarian mane.

Anna used the traditional greetings.

“Good day, Holmes Leslie. I hope your tribe prospers. I'm Commodore Anna Cyborn from Space Station Yeager. My mother is Dr. Edith Bissell. This is Captain Carlos Garcia of Earth, whose mother is Maria Garcia. We are part of the Dark Matter Corps. Aboard my ship, my communication officer is Lieutenant Barron Evmon. The one who co-discovered Dark Mariner.”

“Good day, Anna Cyborn and Carlos Garcia. My tribe does prosper, thank you. I have read about the adventures of the Dark Matter Corps and the discovery of Dark Mariner. Please send my best wishes and congratulations to Barron Evmon, whose third cousin married into my great uncle's clan.”

“I'll do so. Barron Evmon will be pleased that I have met and talked to you. We need your help.”

“Please sit down. I'll make tea while you tell me how I can help you.”

“We are being sent on a routine patrol mission to section 4876 to map and collect data on the dark mass in that area...”

Dr. Holmes nearly dropped the tea pot as she spun around. “Don't!”

“What?”

“I mean, no, that is precisely what I mean, don't.”

Anna looked at Carlos and then back at Holmes. “Why?”

Dr. Holmes took her time pouring tea from a large round tea pot painted with yellow roses into china tea cups that matched. “I love these old tea sets from Earth. They are so pretty and civilized.” She passed each of them a cup and got a tray of milk, sugar, and a plate of cookies before she spoke again.

“I do want the ISC to investigate the area. I have requested such an investigation many times, but a single ship is not what I had in mind. It would be a suicide mission. I know this area well. All my research on mythology has been done in Section 4876. There is a evil living in that dark matter. People disappear after seeing the dark angels. Not just a handful or even hundreds, I'm talking about thousands of people over the twenty years or so that I have done research there.”

“They see dark angels?”

“Yes, at least that is how they describe them. They are always seen in threes. Wings like a butterfly, only clear, and black bodies similar to humans. They are about the size of your hand. They move quickly, like a humming bird, but make no noise. When people see them, they know someone will disappear during the night.”

“Are there signs of a struggle?”

“No. They just vanish.”

“Has anyone seen them vanish?”

“Not to my knowledge.”

“Does anyone come back?”

“Only one that I know of.”

“Who? I'll want to get in touch with this person.”

Dr. Holmes bit her lip as she considered. “It was me. Now I suppose you think I'm a crackpot, and anything I tell you will be suspect. I've never told anyone before. It wouldn't do my career any good.”

“You saw the dark angels?”

“No. But some of the villagers did. I was staying in the village doing research. This would have been nine years ago. The men were out harvesting Calups, a type of fruit. The angels seemed to come out of the foliage of a Calup tree and swooped around them. They ran back to the village. Everyone ran inside and locked their windows and doors. When I heard what had happened, I went looking for the dark angels down at the orchard but never saw any. That night, I went to bed as usual and the next morning I got up as usual but according to the villagers, I'd been gone for over two weeks by their time. That's a duration of about 6.8 relative space/time. I had no marks on me. I felt fine and I had no sensation of having missed time. I just ceased to exist for a period of time.”

Carlos gave a low whistle. “Weird goings on.”

Anna considered. “It would seem that the dark angels are interested in only the planetary lifeforms in that area. You, a stranger, were returned. To save time, I'd like to download some of the mythology you have collected into my data banks. Is that possible? I assure you that I will delete the data as soon as our mission is over.”

Dr. Holmes looked up in surprise. “You're a cyborg?”

“No. I'm clone-human with some cyborg units.”

“You're one of the Dorbel experiments. You said you were from Yeager not Dorbel.”

“I consider my life to have started after I was removed from the laboratory and put in a group home on Yeager.”

“I can understand that. Did your mother visit you often?”

Anna's face tightened. “My clone-mother never visits me.”

Dr. Holmes looked shocked. Matrilineal ties were very strong among the Vultarians. “I'll help you all I can. I'm sure you are aware that a scout ship disappeared there not long ago.”

Anna went still. “That is supposed to be classified information.”

Dr. Holmes snorted. “ISC is a rumour mill and when members don't come back from missions the rumours spread even faster. So you're being sent out to rescue them.”

“We're on a routine mapping and data collecting mission.”

“Sure. I'll bring up some myths on the wall monitors that I think best describes the creatures and incidents. Keep in mind while you read them, that these people are pre-space travel so their explanations of what they have seen and experienced is rather folksy.”

It was towards evening when the sun sends out long fingers of shadows. I had been hoeing in the field. The Tomads do not like weeds. If you want bushy Tomad plants with lots of hanging fruit, you must hoe the weeds clear often.

I climbed up and took the ridge pass back to the village because it was the season of the stinging insects that lurk in the damp, cool valley. I had only gone about halfway home when I saw three dark angels circling above Bogta's house. I was very much afraid because the dark angels are a sign of death. I hid between two boulders and pulled my grey sweater over me so I wouldn't be seen. I know they say that the dark angels are blind and they find those that are to die by the beat of their heart, but I don't think that is true because they didn't find me and my heart was beating like a drum.

After a while, when the sun had almost set, the dark angels disappeared. They didn't fly away, they just vanished like blowing out a flame. When I got my nerve up, I got up and ran home. The next day, I learned that Bogta was no more. He'd vanished during the night right from the bed where his wife slept. The dark angels had taken him to the dark sky where there are no stars. It is the place of lost souls. This is where you go if you are bad. They took Bogta because he had a bad temper and beat his wife. She is happy now. Her children are old enough to run the farm.

Some say that they have known good people to be taken, too, but I don't believe this. Only bad people are taken. Sometimes we don't know that people are bad in their hearts. The angels are the helpers of Goddess Guildor, she who brings the light and rain. She knows everything. Still, I'm glad I hid. Even Guildor sometimes makes mistakes and brings bad storms. I would not have wanted the dark angels to take me by mistake.

The second story Dr. Holmes brought up on the monitor was a losure encounter.

I saw three dark angels in my garden. I watched them go from plant to plant. I had heard that if you talk to a dark angel it will bring you much luck and your crops will grow better than anyone else. So even though I was afraid I went out into the garden and called to the angels. I said, I am a good and healthy person, so you don't need to take me, but please make my garden grow.

The three stopped and hovered in the air looking at me. Then one raised a small stick that it held in its hand. A flash of light and I knew no more. When I knew again, I was lying where I had stood. I had a terrible headache and my muscles jerked for hours after. The dark angels were gone. Everything was the same as before, but that fall, I won the largest Tomad contest at the region agricultural centre. Everyone said it was the biggest Tomad that they had ever seen. I would not talk to a dark angel again. I would hide. I felt sick for a long time after and people told me that I was lucky I didn't cease to exist.

Anna downloaded a dozen stories like this plus legends of cities in the sky and ancestors who could fly. Thanking Dr. Holmes, Anna and Carlos left, heading across the park land that surrounded the Anthropology complex.

“Looks like we are in for quite an adventure.”

“Looks that way.”

“Have you booked your transport back to Gagarin Space Station? Maybe we could go together.”

“Ahh, actually, I'm booked into Solar Breeze Space Port for a week.”

“Oooooo, so who is it?”

“Who's what?”

“Come on, Anna, you don't go to Solar Breeze Space Port Resort alone. That would be a hell of a waste of some of the best sunsets this side of the galaxy. Not to mention the surf, the candlelight dinners and the fine cuisine. Bet it's Jill.”

Red flooded Anna's face.

Carlos laughed. “Knew it!”

“Carlos, shut up. Officers don't, well, they don't, not with enlisted personnel.”

Carlos smiled. “Sure they don't. We just have that rule in case.”

“Is it that obvious?”

“Yes.”

“Damn.”

“Relax, Commodore. No one aboard the Mariner would ever talk.”

“If Vice-Admiral Grover found out, I'd be out of the service in a flash.”

“We'll protect your back, Anna. You have a right to a life.”

Anna sighed and sank down on a park bench. “Have you any idea what a scientific curiosity we'd be? The first cyborg to have a relationship. Or the scorn that Jill might have to endure? I'm thinking maybe I should book to travel back with you to Gagarin Space Station instead.”

Carlos sat down beside her and took her hand. “Anna, I'm your friend. I'd have liked to have been more than that, but if friendship is all you have to offer then I accept. Hell, my parents have all but adopted you, so I feel I have a right to be a big brother and give you some advice. Only a damn fool of an officer would get involved with enlisted personnel. It's a suicide mission. But Anna, if you think you have found something special in Jill, then take the risk. Happiness is far more important than a job.”

Anna looked at the grass. The variety and texture of the Earth's ground fascinated her. “I don't have a heart. It's a cybernetic pump.”

“So what. Love has nothing to do with the real heart. It's a metaphor for something that we can't really explain. A feeling that bonds you with another individual. Go enjoy your week. Then you'll know.”

Anna looked up and smiled at Carlos. “Thanks. You are a wonderful adopted brother, and you'll make someone a wonderful husband.”

Carlos laughed. “With the two best women off my list, I'm going to be a bachelor for a long, long time.”

 

Sunsets and Nameless Faces

 

Solar Breeze Space Port Resort was not big but it had a number of unique qualities that made it very popular. First, it had been designed and financed by the Swiss and was neutral ground. Uniforms of any sort were strictly forbidden as were weapons. Second, it was built on a small planet and, due to a high level of organic material in the air, it provided remarkable sunsets and sunrises every six hours. The artificial climates provided everything for the tourist from Alpine skiing to tropical scuba diving. But the best thing about Solar Breeze was that your reservation was a numbered account. No names and no faces were ever revealed. On arrival, each tourist was fitted with a metal bracelet that could not be removed by anyone but the Swiss authorities at the space station. It was pre-programmed so only those you had selected could see your real face. Others would see only a digital image reflecting your racial and sexual status. As the ads said: On Solar Breeze, you leave your self behind and get to be the person you always wanted to be. Discover the inner you. Spend a holiday that no one will ever know you had. Be free in paradise. In short, it was a perfect place for a clone-cyborg officer to explore a relationship with an enlisted human.

Anna was nervous. She had never done anything like this before. Of course, she'd heard about Solar Breeze and other such resorts scattered through the systems but she'd never been to one. If half the stories she'd heard were true, then the resorts must be pretty wild places. She felt uneasy about going and yet these were places used by many space travelling people for a little relaxation. She'd picked up a galactic transport seven days ago and changed to civilian clothes that morning. She now stood by waiting for the space elevator that would take her to the resort. Already she'd had her bracelet attached by a greeting official and been told that her friend had already arrived.

The elevator doors opened and several strangers exited the compartment. The only one remaining inside was Jill. Anna smiled and stepped into the elevator, leaving her concerns behind.

“I've missed you.”

“I've missed you, too.”

The doors closed. Anna stepped closer and wrapped Jill in her arms. They were still kissing when the elevator slowed to ground level five miles below.

Stepping away from each other, they waited for the doors to open.

“You look wonderful in civilian clothes,” Jill commented as they stepped out into the main terminal of the space port. “Come on. Your bag will be sent to our hotel. I booked us in to a small cabin on a deserted island. Tropical, great diving and sailing and all the time and privacy we need.”

Anna smiled, here among thongs of people coming and going she felt awkward again. She hadn't got used to the idea yet that only Jill could recognize her. Jill seemed to understand and kept her distance, and the conversation was general while they made their way to their rented flier and programmed in their destination. A few minutes later, they were airborne and Jill reached over and took Anna's hand.

“You okay about this?”

Anna considered. “About us, yes. But I'm nervous. I've never been involved before. I don't know how my body will react, and I don't know how to please you.”

Jill gave Anna a nudge. “I think we can work it out. We have so far.”

Anna smiled. Jill always knew just what to say to make her feel calm. She never dwelt on her cybernetic side like others did but focused on her as a human. For the last several minutes, they had been flying over a beautiful ocean. The flier now banked and they could see a chain of islands below. The flier slowed, lost altitude and glided to rest on the beach of a tropical atoll. The bubble dome slid back and an automated message came over the ship's speakers.

Welcome to Solar Breeze's Aqua Waters Island Retreat. Your fully stocked cabin will be your special and private home for the next week. If you require any special service please ring for island service. The staff and management of Solar Winds wishes you freedom and happiness while you enjoy Solar Breeze's special form of relaxation and recreation.

Anna and Jill climbed out of the flier and headed over to their cabin. Anna's bags were already there on the porch.

“Wow, that's quick service.”

“You're just used to the ISC system were everything has to be requested four times, and you add ten weeks to the promised delivery time. Let's go for a swim. Did you bring a bathing suit?”

“Yes.”

“You won't need it,” said Jill disappearing into the cabin to pick up a few beach towels. By the time Anna had brought her bag in, Jill was stripping down to her skin.

Anna's eyes got wide and a ball of desire dropped to her hips. “You meant it.”

“Sure did, Commodore. Strip, that's an order.” Anna obliged then made a grab for Jill.

Laughing, Jill skipped away. “Noooo. Swim first. I've got this mission planned out to the second.” Jill offered her hand and Anna took it . Feeling a foolish grin spread across her face, she let herself be led down to the white sand beach. While Anna watched, Jill spread out the towels near the beach solar kitchen and then, after kissing Anna, she sprinted off into the ocean. Anna was right behind her. Anna thought they made a beautiful pair. Their youthful, fit bodies knifed through the water side by side, turning and twisting around each other. Their hair was smoothed back and wet, drops of water glistening on their faces and shoulders and laughter floating in on the waves. Anna had never felt so liberated and happy. Once ashore, Anna took Jill's hand and they walked along the beach comfortable with their nakedness and totally free at last to show their feelings for each other.

Returning to their beach towels, Jill took a minute to program the solar kitchen unit but as soon as she was finished Anna pulled her down on their towels. At first, it was all about kissing; hot, demanding kisses followed by deep passionate ones. Kisses that caressed, explored and teased until want demanded more and hands explored and bodies rubbed and arched together.

Later, Anna reflected that Solar Breeze had put on a magnificent sunset that night but neither of them saw much of it beyond the pink shades that highlighted their bodies as they at last claimed each other. Anna had heard the seagull cries far out at sea and the gently lapping ocean which reflected the age old rhythm of their lovemaking. And there had been a gentle breeze which blew the scent of brine and tropical flowers around them. It had all been perfect.

They shared a meal of fresh lobster, warm bread, tropical fruit and wine. The moon rose, a pearl in a diamond-studded sky of stars. They made love, slept in each others arms, woke and swam in the cool navy waters then made love again until they fell asleep in one another's arms.

Anna woke first just as the pink shades of light rose over the ocean. The crests of the waves sparkled and the sunrise spread its warming colours, turning navy to royal blue, to red, pink and then gradually the aqua blue of a tropical ocean. Jill sat between Anna's legs leaning against her breasts. Anna leaned forward and dropped kisses on her neck.

“I love you.”

Jill turned to capture Anna's lips with her own and then murmured, “I love you, too.”

They sat contented watching the new day dawn and then programmed in a breakfast of fruit cheese, chocolate croissants and coffee.

“I learned to ride an animal,” Anna suddenly said, between sips of coffee.

“What?”

“A horse. It was big, too.”

Jill laughed. “You learned to ride a horse? Where?”

“New Mexico. Carlos took me to stay with his family while we got over planetary readjustment. They have a cattle ranch and his parents said I could be one of their children, too. I really like the area. I didn't think I would at first because it's so different from a space ship but I do. Carlos said you are from that area so I thought we could buy land there and...”

“Anna, slow down. What are you talking about? Why would Carlos know I was from there?”

“He knows your family. He said your parents raised excellent rodeo bulls.”

Anna thought that Jill would be happy that she had learned and enjoyed a little of her heritage but Jill stiffened in her arms, got up and went to slip into her shorts and t-shirt.

“You'd better get some clothes on. The sun is getting strong and you'll burn sitting there.”

Anna got to her feet and brushed the sand off her body before reaching for her clothes. “What's the matter?”

“Nothing's the matter.”

“Jill, something is the matter.”

“I don't like talking about my past, okay. Let it drop.”

“Okay, we don't have to have land there. We could get a place on a Star Port or another planet.”

“Anna, for God's sakes, this is sex! It's not a commitment. We barely know each other.”

Anna was totally confused. She thought they were in love. She thought it would be forever. She didn't know why Jill was so angry. Maybe is was because of the sex abuse. She wondered if she should mention it then decided no. Jill was angry enough. She swallowed hard, forcing back a wave of pain and disappointment. Maybe she'd been too needy, thinking she had found someone at last who cared about her. Maybe she wasn't a good enough lover. Or maybe Jill just didn't believe in commitment. Jill was right. They didn't know a lot about each other.

“I'd better go unpack.”

“Anna?”

“Yes?”

“I'm sorry I was so prickly.” Jill gave Anna a hug. “There are some issues from my childhood that I'm not ready to face yet. Let's get you settled in and then maybe we could try out our swim suits and do some driving on the reef. Okay?”

Anna smiled although she still felt slightly off kilter. “Sure. Let's do that.”

They spent a magical week together playing in the sun, having dinners out at various resorts, sightseeing and making love to each other with no inhibitions or worries. At the end, Anna wished she could stay there forever just loving Jill. It was a nice fantasy. But she was the Commodore of a small but important fleet and her life was not meant to be lived at a pleasure port but on the fringes of space. As they dressed to leave, the worries of Anna's new assignment came back to haunt her.

“Penny for your thoughts.”

“What?”

“It's an archaic expression. It means what are you thinking?”

Anna sat down on their bed and pulled Jill on her lap. “I was thinking that maybe you shouldn't go on this mission. Maybe you should stay behind and get a good start on your engineering degree.”

“I'm taking my degree through the Gigantean Council of Engineers. They're the very best, but it also allows me to study under Toda so my education will not be hampered in any way by my being aboard. You know that, so what is the real reason you want to leave me behind?”

Anna blushed. “You didn't pass your security check. I had to vouch for you to get you aboard at all. Maybe, it's not a good idea. Maybe it's wrong for me to back you like that. You should be free to earn your own respect and trust with the ISC.”

“True, but I can do that better by proving myself on a top security mission. No, Anna that argument won't hold water either. Tell me the truth.”

Anna held on to Jill and spoke into the nape of her neck. “I've been told it's a suicide mission by an anthropologist who worked in that sector. There seems to be an alien race living in the dark matter who have been systematically taking humanoids from the planet surface. I don't want to lose you. I can't.”

Jill pulled herself free and stood up, hands on hips looking down at Anna. “Commodore don't you dare pull that shit on me. We are professionals. When we are aboard ship we do what our duty commands and if one of us meets death then the other one will have to find the strength to go on. We know the risks of our jobs. And if you think for a minute, Anna Cyborn, that I'm going to stay behind while you face dangers alone you are sadly mistaken. I'm going to be right there with the rest of the crew watching your back.”

Anna managed a weak smile. “I love you for your courage and loyalty but it still scares the hell out of me.”

Jill slipped back into Anna's arms. “Me too. Put part of any relationship is knowing someday you will have to say goodbye. It's the price of happiness and it's a high one. Can you accept that?”

Anna nodded too emotional to get the words out. She knew Jill was right, though that didn't make it any easier. She'd had no idea how complicated this love thing was going to be.

Five hours later, Anna waited while the Swiss Solar Breeze Authority removed her digital identity bracelet so that she could take the space elevator to her transport. Jill had left hours before and would arrive back at The Mariner in four days. Anna would report to Star Port Gagarin before returning to her ship. She would be a full day behind Jill arriving.

She found this sneaking around about their relationship more and more awkward and annoying. Many people were gay and that was no problem, but her rank and the fact that she was seen as a cyborg were even bigger issues. Just reminding herself of the problems made Anne feel irritated. She took her seat, buckled in for the acceleration stage and tried to focus on the job ahead.

 

Commanders and Viewpoints

 

Five days later, Anna had disembarked from her transport at Star Base Gagarin and had headed immediately to the appointment with Vice-Admiral Grover that she had arranged enroute. Once there she waited in the office of the administrative assistant to Vice-Admiral Grover. Her appointment had been for 1400. It was now 1530. The Warrant Officer sat at her desk ignoring Anna. At 1600, the Warrant Officer stood and told Anna she could now see Vice-Admiral Grover. Anna gritted her teeth. She was pretty sure Grover could have seen her on time and this was just more of his nasty little games. She had arrived planning to be as conciliatory as she could. Now she was so annoyed she didn't give a damn what Grover thought.

“Commodore Cyborn, sir.”

Introduced, Anna came to attention and saluted her commanding officer. Grover ignored her.

“Sit down,” he commanded, as he busied himself pouring a coffee. Anna was not offered one.

“All right, you've had your leave time and been given your new assignment by ISC. I have no idea what sort of shit they are playing at keeping me out of the loop but I don't like it. My opinion is they are taking a renegade cyborg and making it a prima-dona. You are just fortunate for the moment the Giganteans support you. Without their pressure you'd have been out on your ear after your last mission when you disobeyed orders and entered that dark mass.”

“Yes, sir. I think I understand your position quite clearly.”

“Do you now? Good. Because I'm watching your every move and sooner or later I'll have your ass in a sling.”

“I doubt that, sir. I have a fine crew and I'm a capable officer.”

“You're an arrogant machine.”

“I'm cloned human, sir, with cybernetic implants.”

“Yeah, yeah, I've heard this crap. Tell me about this damn mission and that is an order.”

“Yes, sir. The Mariner is being sent to Section 4876 to investigate the disappearance of Scout Ship 782 captained by Lieutenant Braun. It had some navigation problems and entered the large dark mass in that region by mistake. Braun last reported at 27940.56 RST. Admiral Ito does not leave personnel behind, he tells me, and wants every effort made to find out the fate Scout Ship 782.”

“It probably hit something and blew up. Didn't they scan for debris?”

“Yes, sir, but the dark matter is quite dense and the readings inconclusive. Also there are the anthropology reports from the local star system that has caused rumours that Admire Ito is not too happy about.”

“What reports?”

“It's a pre-space flight culture that believes in angels that take people away if they are not good.”

Grover looked at her in stunned silence. Then shook his head slowly. “They are taking that seriously at ISC? Haven't they got bigger issues to worry about?”

“The Mariner, sir, doesn't get to investigate the big issues.”

Grover laughed. “That's good to hear. If I find out that you've lied to me, Cyborn, I'll make things damn difficult for you.”

Like you aren't making things damn difficult for me now. “Everything I've told you is accurate, sir. Or at least what they chose to tell me.”

“You think they are holding out on you?”

“Probably. The ISC hands out information on a need to know basis. I'm sure, sir, you know more than I do.” Anna had meant this last line to be sarcastic but Grover nodded and smiled knowingly.

Anna gritted her teeth. The old bastard was going to pretend he knew all along and was only testing me or maybe he does know and I'm being played. Shit, I hate these games.

Grover stood. “Okay, Cyborn, that is all. Good luck to your crew. Make sure they come back alive.”

Anna stood at attention although probably not as quickly as she should. She didn't respect this man. She didn't even like him. “Yes, sir.”

“And, Cyborn, if I find that unauthorized supplies have been stowed aboard your ship again there will be hell to pay. Get out.”

“Yes, sir.” Anna left quickly before she lost her commission for knocking off her commanding officer's head.

Anna took a elevator to the docking area and walked along the main corridor to where The Mariner was docked on a secondary arm beside its much larger mother ship, The Explorer. On route to Space Station Gagarin, she had received communications from Justice, her deck captain; Carlos, the Captain of The Explorer; and from Jill, so she knew her crew and ship was ready and standing by.

For a second, she stood looking at her little ship through a viewing portal on the main corridor. It had better lines now than the first time she had seen her. Her Gigantean engineer Toda had made cosmetic changes that had changed the converted SP-950 deep space probe into a small but sleek craft. She did look a bit more like a shark than a space ship, but Toda had done a great job for them. The Giganteans had promised two more craft for their service, making Anna the Commodore of a fleet of three small vessels. The delivery date on the other two craft, however, was another year off.

Anna didn't mind. She'd been embarrassed by the converted probe she'd been assigned. It was insulting. Just like forming a special service for her and others that Grover didn't want in the ISC was an insult. Still, The Mariner had made a name for herself and her crew of misfits and proven that they were a significant and elite service. In only one mission, the Dark Matter Corps had become a bit of a legend. Anna smiled. She was damn proud of what she'd accomplished and damn proud of her crew and The Mariner.

Anna straightened her shoulders. She couldn't stand here enjoying the success of a past mission. They had a new assignment and they needed to deliver. The Dark Matter Corps had to prove that it wasn't beginner's luck, that they really were a special service. Anna headed down the docking arm and arriving at the entrance hatch. She punched in her code to open the port door. She walked along the gang plank corridor and then grasping onto the rail she stepped down the conning tower ladder into the small but functional common room aboard The Mariner.

“Commodore on deck!” came Captain Moshapa's voice. Her crew were all there and standing at attention when she stepped off the ladder.

Anna returned, Justice Moshapa's salute and then stepped forward and gave him a quick hug. “Hi, Justice, it's great to be back aboard.” .

She went on and shook the hand of each of her crew in turn. Lieutenant Adam Wiseman was her deck scientist. He'd given up a prestigious position in the ISC main labs to stay aboard The Mariner.

Toda didn't wait for a hand shake. The massive Gigantean picked Anna up so that her head was touching the ceiling like his and gave her a hug. “Oh, it's wonderful to see you again, Commodore. I have so much to tell you about the construction work that is going on with our new vessels,” Toda gushed in his soft, high voice.

“Put me down, Lieutenant. Commodores can't be seen with their feet dangling.”

“Oh dear, sorry. I forgot myself, sir.”

Anna straightened her uniform and went on to shake Sub Lieutenant Barron Evmon's hand. Surname first as was the tradition of the Vultarians. As the ship's communication officer, Evmon was a real asset. More than that, she had appointed herself as the ship's moral officer. She just seemed to know how to make the crew feel at ease and at home, a skill that Anna was trying to learn, if slowly.

Next in line was Chief Petty Officer Sue Lai, an American. A veteran of the Hydronian Crisis, she'd proven herself up to active service on their last mission. She was a fine paramedic and her war time experience had given her the knowledge to turn her hand to almost any task.

Crewman Aja Sur, formerly an environmental activist from Bengal India, shook Anna's hand with quiet sincerity. He had found, through the DMC, that space needed environmental champions and that Anna would support him in his work.

Anna reached out to shake Crewman Jill Fairfax's hand, then she thought better of it and pulled her close for a quick hug. “Missed you.”

Cheers and claps resounded around the common room. “About time!” “Way to go, Commodore!”

Anna turned to her crew, her arm still around Jill's shoulder. “New rules. In a short time we've experienced a lot together. We are more than a crew, we are a family. I hope you won't mind if Justice and I address you by your first names. Justice will answer to Captain, of course, and I can be addressed as Com. Ah, I think probably you guys knew before I did that there was an attraction between Jill and me. I think you know that it's very inappropriate so I hope I can rely on your discretion. Jill and I realize that aboard ship we are astronauts first.”

Anna moved away from Jill who was still blushing and speechless from Anna's surprise greeting. “We need to have a conference to discuss our next mission. Why don't you lot get coffee and I'll stow my gear. We'll meet back here in thirty minutes. Justice, could you invite Captain Garcia and Commander Hamilton to join us?”

“Aye, aye, Com!”

Anna headed for the cabin she shared with Jill Fairfax, assigned originally due to the lack of adequate quarters aboard The Mariner. Jill followed her in a few seconds later and closed the hatch.

“What did you just do? Didn't we discuss the need to be discreet?” she demanded.

Anna looked up from stowing her bag and smiled. “I hadn't planned that. It just happened. Carlos showed me the importance of family and this is what I've got, the crew of The Mariner. It seemed stupid to keep an open secret from them. Are you upset with me?”

Jill hesitated and then came over and wrapped Anna in a hug. “No, just surprised by your aboutface. I guess it's another sign that you really are human. You can change your mind and be illogical. You're right, they all knew or suspected, and they will keep our secret. But Anna, we don't have a commitment, right? This is just a relationship.”

“Sure, sure.” Anna reassured although her heart was not in it.

“I missed you. It was a long five days.”

They kissed, then kissed again. Jill stepped back first.

“You are wanted in the common room in five minute, Com.” She gave Anna an affectionate push and headed back out to the common room. Anna stood looking at the closed hatch. It had been Jill who had come on to her, now it was Jill who was backing off. Anna just couldn't understand. Jill's reluctance to make a commitment hurt and confused her. She pulled herself together and followed exactly five minutes later, a stew of emotions bubbling inside her. She could feel a blush rising up her neck as she saw her crew and Carlos Garcia and Jane Hamilton all standing by the table waiting for her with grins on their faces. A quick look told her Jill was blushing red, too. Are we in love or aren't we? The messages are all confused.

Anna forced herself to settle down and switched to her command mode. “As you were.”

She waited through the clatter of chairs as everyone seated themselves around the table.

“First of all, be notified that this mission is classified as top secret and anything that happens on it will probably be a closed file. You have all been given priority one clearance with the exception of Jill who is on this mission by Admiral Ito's reluctant consent. Because Jill does not have clearance any information gathered should not be discussed with her. I'll make the decision to inform her on a need to know basis.”

The remainder of the crew offered a murmur of protest. Jill sat stiff and white.

“I understand how you feel, and I agree, but frankly we are lucky that Jill got to be aboard at all. Hopefully, by the end of this mission she'll have earned the trust of the ISC as much as she has earned our trust.

“That said, I need to state up front that this mission is considered high risk. I won't insist that anyone ship out if they feel that the risk is too high. One anthropologist described it as a suicide mission.” Anna shrugged. “I don't think that is the case, but I'm not going to pretend that the danger isn't high.

“We are being asked to investigate the disappearance of Scout Ship782 from Section 4876 with a crew of three aboard. It went missing on 27940.56 RST after a navigation malfunction caused them to enter a large dark mass in the area. The local planetary system is pre-space travel so we will need to be careful about not revealing our presence. There are rumours based on the legends of the humanoid culture, that there are dark angels that cause people to disappear. This information you may share with the remaining crew of The Explorer as they have probably already heard.

“What is not known and will remain a secret, is that Lieutenant Braun of the Scout Ship sent a message just before disappearing that he'd encountered a large, alien mass. Admiral Ito and ISC believes that a hostile race is living in the dark mass and the regular disappearance of individuals from the local planets might be an act of violence. I want to note for the record that I talked to one anthropologist who maintained that the local people had seen dark angels about and that night she had disappeared for over two weeks local time. She had no memory of the occurrence at all. She went to bed that night as normal and woke the following morning only it was in fact two weeks later. Why she was taken and then returned we have no idea.

“Our primary mission is to enter the dark mass and recover the scout ship crew and vessel if possible. Our secondary mission is to make contact with the alien race, if it exists, and establish relations with them. Questions?”

Anna looked around the table. No one spoke until Carlos smiled and leaned forward in his chair. “When do we leave?”

“Can we be ready to depart by 0800 hours tomorrow?”

“The Explorer can,” stated Jane.

“So can The Mariner,” confirmed Justice.

Anna nodded. “Departure at 0800 hours then. There is a lot to do. Let's get on with it. Carlos, Justice, Jane, if I could meet with you? There are a few administrative issues that need to be discussed.”

The crew left and the four senior officers rearranged their seats to form a tight group. Privacy was at a premium aboard the small vessel.

“I'm evenly divided on how to handle this mission. If we run into trouble, I'd like to know that The Explorer is at our backs. The Mariner can't defend itself against any force bigger than a D class barge. On the other hand, a show of force might appear threatening to this entity and undermine any chance of us establishing positive communication.”

Carlos stirred. “The Explorer is not going off on manoeuvres this time, Anna. We'll be at your back. All you need to decide is how close.” He looked over at his Number One for support and Jane responded.

“We're not missing out on the fun. Aboard The Explorer, the crew has started to call themselves the Support Task Force of the Dark Matter Corps.”

Justice smiled. “We couldn't have a better mother ship or crew than yours.”

Jane spoke up. “Anna, Carlos and I would like to offer the crew of The Explorer the chance to wear the navy uniform and badge of the DMC. What do you think?”

“We're a team, so it seems appropriate if they would like to do so. The closer the bond between the two crews the better. When our two new ships join the fleet, we'll certainly be looking for Explorer personnel to man the crafts when needed.”

Carlos grinned. “I'll put it to our junior officers and have them feel out the crew but my reaction is that you'll be seeing a lot more navy uniforms in the near future.”

“Good. It's agreed then that The Explorer won't be far away from us. Just how close we'll decide when we have gathered more data and have surveyed the area.. Anything else?”Anna asked.

Jane responded, “It's been a tradition to have a social in the cargo bay so the two crews can meet and talk before a mission.”

Anna blinked. “ A tradition?”

The others laughed and Jane explained. “Well, it happened once and in the DMC that makes it a tradition. Sue Lai mentioned it, didn't she, Justice?”

“She did. She and Evmon wanted permission to make plans once The Mariner is docked in The Explorer's cargo bay but Carlos and Jane suggested that it was The Explorer's turn to host.”

“I think I've been ganged up on,” Anna smiled and stood. “Okay, we'll be honoured to be there.”

“Good.” Carlos said, as the others got to their feet. “Is 2200 hours tomorrow night in our mess hall satisfactory?”

“Sounds great.” They shook hands and Carlos and Jane took their leave.

 

 

 

They had barely climbed out of The Mariner and Justice had only just left to check the stations on the command deck when Toda appeared in the hallway beyond the common room.

“Can I have a word with you, Com?”

“Certainly. What is it?”

“It's about Toronado, Trigger, and Silver. I named them after horses in ancient TV shows from Earth. Horse's were much loved on Earth at one time.”

“I've ridden a horse,” Anne interjected proudly.

“Oh my! How wonderful. Then I've picked good names. What was yours called?”

“Jennet. She was named after an old Spanish breed of horse. Please tell me you haven't smuggled horses on board.”

“No not horses but Jill and I had discussed the importance of having ISM - individual space modules. I was able to do some redesigning of ones that we use on the Gigantean system. It was just a matter of making them smaller and more organic. I did make Toronado bigger for me. I hope that's all right. It can still be used by other crew members with some adjustments.”

Anna held up her hand to get Toda to stop. “Where are they?”

“In the cargo bay of The Explorer.”

Anna's lips tightened. She headed off down the hall to the engineering section in the stern of the ship. “I want to see you and Crewman Fairfax in engineering immediately.”

Anna paced around the engineering area of The Mariner trying to calm herself down before she talked to her crew. The more she thought about Jill and Toda going ahead without permission to design auxiliary craft for The Mariner the angrier she got. Not only had they designed and built it but they'd actually shipped it to The Explorer. With Toda, she was willing to be a bit tolerant. He had come from the royal family of Gigantean, and he was the first of his kind to serve aboard a ISC ship. He had to learn protocols had to be followed but Jill had no such excuse. She had acted high-handed. They had agreed that their relationship had to exist outside of their careers. This wasn't her first offence. Jill clearly did not respect her as a commanding officer.

Anna turned, hands on hips as the two renegade crew members entered the engineering area. “Close the door.”

Toda did so. With Toda's looming bulk , the three of them filled just about all the available space in the aft part of the room.

“On our last mission you two designed and built a probe without my knowledge and consent. I overlooked the lack of respect for my command because you are new to the ISC and because your probe was a great asset to us. I warned you then that this high-handed manner in engineering was not to continue. Now I find the two of you have designed not one, but three, new apparatuses without permission, and shipped them aboard The Explorer no doubt at ISC expense.

“I warned you last time that this was never to happen again. There are protocols to follow and they damn well will be followed! You both are on report. One more high-handed move from either of you and you'll be off this ship. Dismissed.”

Toda was so upset and left in such a hurry that he bumped his head going through the hatch. Jill stood her ground.

“Anna...”

“That's Commodore, Crewman!”

“Yes, sir. Commodore Cyborn, permission to speak.”

“Granted.”

“Toda saw these craft and realized that they would be a big asset to our service. The breach in our hull on our last mission showed the need for just such craft. Yes, we acted without permission. You were out of touch. No one knew you were on holiday with Carlos. We acted for the best of the DMC with no senior officer to contact.”

“Then you should have contacted Vice-Admiral Grover.”

“Oh sure, liked he'd have given us permission.”

“Crewman, it is not for you to decide what a commanding officer will or will not do. Vice-Admiral Grover did not get the position he is in by making poor decisions. You had plenty of time to tell me last week. You never mentioned it.”

Tears were making Jill's eyes shimmer. “It wasn't the time or place.”

“Then you damn well should have waited until it was before you and Toda did anything.”

“Then we wouldn't have had the craft. They are good craft. They could save our lives some day.”

“I don't care if they are the best thing that has happened to the fleet in the last thousand years. Don't ever question my authority again, Crewman, and don't ever do anything without my permission. Is that understood?”

Tears were now dripping down Jill's face. “Yes, sir.”

“Dismissed.”

“Yes, sir.”

Jill slipped out of the engineering section and Anna closed the hatch. She needed time alone to get her emotions and thoughts under control. She thought she could make this thing with Jill work, but they'd barely been aboard a few hours and already the lines between their relationship and Anna's command had been crossed.

She didn't return to her cabin, instead, she filled in the afternoon aboard Space Station Gagarin obtaining last minute supplies. Later, she sat in the common room of The Mariner studying star charts and committing them to her data banks. She hadn't seen Jill since their fight. She wasn't sure she wanted to see Jill even though her heart ached to do so.

Justice slid in beside her. “We haven't had time to talk. Did you enjoy your leave?”

“Yes. What about you?”

“I did. After I arranged for my certification, I went home to Botswana. My family had a big feast and I was made very welcome. I have over 5,000 cows now. The men I left in charge of my herds have done a fine job. It was good to touch the earth and feel the sun on my face again.”

Anna nodded. “I didn't know that there would be such varied texture on a planet's surface or that the air would smell of vegetation not species. I could look at the texture of the ground for hours. I went and stayed on Carlos's family's cattle ranch for a few weeks. I rode a horse.”

“Ahhh, yes, Carlos and I have discussed cattle. But they raise beef and sell them to the slaughter house. It is not that way in Botswana. Cattle are money in the bank. It is our way.

“I understand that Toda and Jill are on report.”

Anna nodded and fell silent.

Justice got up and poured two coffees and slipped one in front of Anna. “In my country we say that a chief may have many wives and children, but he is always alone. That is leadership. Only one can command.”

“I don't like starting a mission with bad feelings. I needed to discipline the two of them but it was hard. Their idea is a good one and by the sounds of it the ISMs will really be useful, but they need to know that they have to follow protocol.”

“Yes.”

“It's complicated, too - with Jill.”

“Yes. It will not be easy but you two will work it out. This I believe. I have talked to Toda and I think your lecture got through. He's very embarrassed about being put on report and is really sorry that he disappointed you.”

“And Jill?”

Justice shrugged. “She didn't want to talk about it.”

Anna sighed.

 

A Party of Discord

 

The following morning the little Mariner under the command of Captain Moshapa disconnected from its mooring, pulled out around the docking arm, and entered the open bay of The Explorer. Anna sat beside Justice feeling a bit like a third wheel. It was a very difficult to be a Commodore

without a fleet. As senior officer on deck she could have sat in the captain's seat, but it wasn't her style. Justice had worked his way up the ranks and won a field commission. This was his first command and he deserved to enjoy it as much as possible.

“Reverse thrusters, helm.”

“Aye, aye, sir,” stated Crewman Sur.

“Lateral thrusters, brace for touchdown.”

The Mariner settled on the deck of the bay with a gentle bump.

“Engines off.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

“Patch me through to The Explorer, Evmon.”

“Go ahead, Captain Moshapa.”

“Explorer, The Mariner is aboard.”

“Roger that. Stand by for bay door closure and pressurizing. Welcome aboard, Mariner.”

“Thank you, Explorer.”

Anna looked at Justice. “So here we go again.”

Justice smiled. “Let's hope this mission is as successful as our last.”

They watched the exterior sensor screens as the pressure and artificial gravity levels rose to optimum then sat patiently while the docking crew covered the propulsion jets and locked the landing gear in place.

Justice stood. “Shore leave until 0800 hours tomorrow. The Explorer is hosting a gathering at 2200 hours in their mess. Dress uniforms. Be there. That is all.”

The crew went its various ways. Anna glimpsed Jill disappearing up the conning tower. Since the issue over the ISMs, Jill had kept a low profile hiding out in engineering. Last night, she'd come to their quarters very late and when Anna had tried to talk, Jill had told her quietly that everything had been said that needed to be said and that she didn't want to talk about it. She'd changed for bed in their head and had quickly got into her bunk and turned off the light. Jill was gone when Anna woke after a bad night's sleep.

Anna soon found herself alone aboard The Mariner. She wandered forward and sat on the bridge, dark now except for the system lights. She had nowhere to go. Unlike the others, she hadn't made a lot of friends aboard The Explorer or anywhere else for that matter. There was Carlos, of course, but The Explorer was getting underway and he'd be needed on the command deck. Justice, she knew, was meeting to have a drink with an old friend from Botswana and Jill was avoiding her. Justice was right, a chief is always alone and when that chief is a cloned human-cyborg there was the added isolation of a social stigma. She felt depressed.

“Commodore?”

Anna looked up startled. Toda stood hesitantly near her command chair. How could anyone so big move so lightly and quietly?

“Sorry, Com. I didn't mean to startle you. I forget that humans are not always aware of their surroundings. I should have made more noise.”

“That's okay. I was deep in thought. What can I do for you, Toda?”

The Gigantean shuffled a bit as he struggled to approach a difficult issue. “It's about the ISMs, sir. Crewman Fairfax and I realize that we were way out of line and we have learned our lesson, but they are aboard The Explorer. What should we do about them?”

Anna looked out into the darkness of the command deck to focus her mind on the issue at hand, doing her best to shake off her mood. Then she stood and looked at Toda.

“We'd better have a look at them and see what can be done. The Mariner needs every advantage it can get.”

“Thank you, Com.” Toda looked relieved and happier. Anna felt neither.

They headed out onto the cargo bay floor and Toda led the way over the back side of a rectangle metal unit sitting by the far side of the wall.

“Jill and I designed the stable unit ourselves,” Toda stated proudly. “It mounts directly into the hull of a vessel. You can get into the ISMs from inside the ship by slipping through the bulkhead hatch and the ISM hatch. Once the hatches are sealed, the chamber can be depressurized and the front gates opened to release one or more of the ISMs.”

Toda showed Anna how the double hatch system worked. Anna slipped inside one going feet first and using a hand bar to push herself forward through the two aligned hatchways and down into the ISM. She found herself sitting upright in a small cockpit. The joystick was easily accessible and the control panel visible and logically arranged. Exterior visibility was good through several portholes. Anna nodded her approval and leaning back pulled herself out.

“Looks good,” she stated and Toda smiled. They walked around the front of the metal stable and Toda released the hull gates to show her the three ISMs sitting in their stables.

Anna looked, blinked and looked again. “They look like seahorses.”

Toda smiled proudly. “I wanted to keep with the marine theme. The Mariner has a shark look to her. You sit up right inside and use joystick controls to move them about. Life support and the fuel cell are located in the tail to create ballast. They can move quickly but are not really designed for distance. They have wonderful mobility and have enough power for twenty-four hours of work at top speed and life support for twenty-four hours.”

“They look like seahorses.” Anna repeated in disbelief.

Toda failed to see Anna's bewilderment. “That's why the ancient horse names. The gold one is Trigger, the black one, Toronado, and the silver one, Silver.

Anna took a step back. “We'll test them enroute. If they live up to your claim then we'll have the unit fitted into The Mariner.”

“Oh thank you, Com! You won't be disappointed. They are fine craft.”

“Where is Jill?”

Toda actually blushed. “She was going to visit a friend. She said she doesn't want anything to do with the ISMs any more.”

“Well, if they test out satisfactory, she'll have to whether she wants to or not.” Anna voice came out sharper than she intended.

For a split second anger clouded Toda's face making him look more animal than humanoid. Anna remembered belatedly the caution in Toda's file that it was unwise to anger a Gigantean. Toda seemed to calm himself with effort.

“I'm sure you'll be pleased, Commodore.”

Anna nodded trying to think of something to say to defuse the situation. Giganteans were very loyal friends and Toda was close to Jill.

“You and Jill worked hard to get this unit ready. I hope you both will work on installing and testing it so you can have the satisfaction of seeing the job through. Procedure must be followed in future but that does not take away from the fact that the two of you have again come up with what appears to be an excellent design.”

Toda seemed to relax. “Thank you, Com.”

Anna looked at her watch. “There are one or two things I need to check before getting ready for tonight's gathering. I'll see you later, Toda.”

“Yes, Com.”

Anna headed back to the ship. If Jill wanted to keep her distance, fine. She'd wash and change and be off The Mariner before Jill returned to change.

Once in her dress uniform, Anna had filled in time on the observation deck of The Explorer. The endlessness of dark space was occasionally broken by the smear of a star they passed at light speed, flashing and disappearing like a shooting star. Deep space travel was a voyage of darkness without any sensation of speed or motion. As the great Janette Gayla had described it, space was an endless wasteland filled with an infinite array of possibilities.

The party was well underway when Anna finally made her way down to the mess hall. She wasn't a party person at the best of times and her present state of mind was not conducive to having a good time. She got herself a drink and started the necessary round of meet and greets expected of her position. Ten minutes of this brought her to Lieutenant Adam Wiseman, her science officer, standing off in a corner nursing a drink and looking particularly annoyed.

“Hi, Adam. I haven't had a chance to talk to you. How was your leave?”

Adam shook his head and stared off as if reliving his experience. “It was a dream. Some of the best minds in astrophysics were waiting for me. I was treated like an equal. I could have had my pick of positions on some of the best research teams in the world. Now I'm standing here wondering why I thought staying aboard The Mariner was going to be better. I threw away my chance at everything I've ever wanted.”

Anna's heart sank. Another disgruntled crew member was not what she needed. “I'm sorry you find us less than satisfactory as colleagues. I could recommend a transfer for you on our return.”

Adam looked at her in surprise. “The Mariner crew is the best there is. I'm proud to wear the DMC uniform. I just think I might have acted hastily in staying aboard instead of following my original dream. I made the decision based on the excitement of the moment. Now I'm having second thoughts.”

“Let me know at the end of the mission if you want to transfer to ISC headquarters. I'll do what I can for you.”

“Thanks, Com. If there is a happy ending to this mission.”

Adam gave an embarrassed laugh. “I was talking to Aja. He bunks in with Captain Moshapa. Aja says that the Captain is having nightmares. Seems some Shaman back home in Botswana gave him a warning that death lay ahead. Scared the shit out of him. You know how these cultural things are. It scared Aja, too. He believes in signs. He gets his palm read regularly.”

Anna stiffened. “There are always dangers when you work in deep space. We know the risks. The crews of The Mariner and The Explorer are well up to dealing with anything that comes along.”

Again her words had sounded sharper than she intended. Adam straightened.

“Yes, Commodore.”

Anna nodded and walked away. Not knowing what else to say, she retreated before she made the situation worse. Crewman Aja Sur was an East Indian and her chief pilot and navigator. She didn't need him and her Deck Captain jumping at shadows. She'd need to figure out a way to address this issue without offending anyone's cultural beliefs.

“Commodore?”

Anna turned to see her Chief Petty Officer, Sue Lai, standing beside her.

“Hi, Sue. How was your course?” Sue was The Mariner's paramedic and a seasoned veteran of several campaigns. She had been upgrading her qualification during her shore leave.

“It went well, Com, and I had time to spend a few days with my sister. Did you enjoy your leave on Earth?”

“It was a unique experience for me. I hadn't experienced planet life before. I stayed with Captain Garcia's family in New Mexico and learned to ride a horse.”

“Sounds like you really had some fun. Good for you, sir. I need to talk to you about scheduling an appointment for a physical.”

Anna stiffened. “It's not going to happen, Chief.”

“Commodore, it's a requirement. I should have done it on our last mission but there were so many other things going on that there just wasn't time.”

“You'll be too busy on this mission, too,” Anna stated.

“Commodore, this needs to be done. Your physiology is really unique. At the moment, I don't even know what parts of you are human and what parts are cybernetic. Your medical file is stored in your private database so I can't access them and Toda refuses to discuss your history. He tell me he has been ordered not to ever touch any of your cybernetic parts.”

“That's right.”

“If anything happens to you, neither Toda or I will be prepared to treat you.”

“I'll take that chance.”

Anger showed on Sue's face but she simply nodded. “Very well, Commodore. I really could have been trusted with that information. You'll excuse me.”

Anna went to say that she did trust her but Sue had already walked off. Great, another member of the crew angry at her. Maybe, Justice's shaman was right.

Anna got another drink from the refreshment table and stood with her back against the wall watching the crews mingle like old friends. That at least was good. The Explorer crew were now all wearing black badges on their upper sleeve designating that they were part of the Dark Matter Corps. There was no way the badges could have been made that quickly and certainly not aboard The Explorer. Jane Hamilton must have had them made after their last trip knowing Anna would agree that the crew of The Explorer should be part of the DMC. Anna wasn't sure how she felt about that. On the one hand it was flattering. On the other, it was another example of someone doing things behind her back.

From where she stood, she could see Jill on the other side of the room talking to a tall good looking female crewman. They were laughing and standing close together. Anna wondered if it was Crewman Barb Lucier, Jill's friend from basic training. They looked close – too close. A flood of jealousy washed through Anna.

“You don't look like you are enjoying the gathering, Anna.”

Anne looked up to see Carlos Garcia smiling at her.

“Crew problems. Everyone seems to have packed an issue on this mission.”

Carlos chuckled. “Yeah, that's to be expected. The excitement of the first mission is over and people are starting to focus on other things. I had to discipline two crewmen who thought it would be easiest to settle their differences by throwing a few punches. I heard about Evmon. ”

“Evmon?”

“She's down with love sickness. Sue Lai had sent her over to see our doctor because she didn't know what was wrong with her. Doc Barr recognized it right a way as Vultarian Love sickness and confined her to quarters until the spots go away.”

“Why wasn't I told?”

“Have you read your day reports? I got a copy so I'm sure you got one, too.”

Anna frowned. “No, I haven't opened the report file. Shit, just what I need. How bad is this Vultarian Love sickness?”

“I had to look it up to sort out fact from fiction. There are, of course, all sorts of jokes and myths about it. Seems when they are attracted to someone they get high fevers, spots and short tempered. It only lasts 24 hours but it is reoccurring unless the attraction is, well, acted on, if you know what I mean.”

“Sex?”

“Yeah.”

“Who does she want to have sex with?”

“She wouldn't say. She just said the other person wouldn't be interested.”

“Great, so I'm stuck with a love sick Vultarian.”

“Afraid so.”

Anna shook her head. “I think I'll call it a night. Busy day tomorrow. If your flight schedule isn't too tight, I'd like The Explorer to have a few hours at stand still so we can test the new ISMs that Jill and Toda developed.”

“We can arrange that. I heard they smuggled them on board.”

Anna snorted and tried to change the subject. “The damn things look like sea horses. Toda tells me he was keeping with the marine theme because The Mariner looks like a shark.”

Carlos chuckled. “You DMCs are a weird bunch. Is it true you put them on report and Jill hasn't spoken to you since?”

Anna sighed. “There is no privacy in the ISC.”

“None. You okay?”

“Yeah. We are talking, but just formally at the moment.”

“Don't let it get to you. These spats blow over. I'm sure Jill understands that you have to be a commanding officer first and a partner second when you are on a mission.”

“She said she did.”

“Then I'm sure that's the case. There's Jane. I'll go arrange a time for the ISM test and get back to you.”

“Thanks.”

“Hang tough, Commodore.”

Anna smiled and nodded as she made her way out of the mess hall. Out the corner of her eye she could see Jill still in animated conversation with Crewman Lucier. The image ate at her gut. She made her way back to The Mariner. It looked such a little ship sitting in the cargo bay of The Explorer. Carlos was right, now the excitement of that first mission was over, her crew needed to find something to hold them together and keep the energy levels high. But what, she had no idea.

She passed the hatch of her own cabin and knocked on the quarters occupied by Sue and Evmon. After a few minutes, Evmon opened the hatch.

“What!”

Anna took a step back in surprise. Evmon was not only angry and aggressive, her normally pink skin was now covered in purple spots.

“Oh. Commodore, sorry. I'm...I'm not well.”

“I heard. Is there anything I can do to make it easier for you?”

“No. I'll be okay again by tomorrow. It's just so embarrassing. This is my first bout of love sickness. Vultarians are slow to mature sexually. The first time is hard enough on my own planet, but it's really awkward among outsiders who don't understand. I mean, there are so many myths and rumours.”

Anna smiled. “Yeah, I know what that can be like. I was once asked if I could fly. The crew understands. Don't worry about it. Just try and give me a heads up when the next bout is coming on so I can relieve you from duty for a day.”

“Thanks, Com.”

Anna nodded. “Get some rest. We have a busy day tomorrow. The Explorer is going to cut engines so we can test the new ISMs.”

“Aye, aye, Com.”

Anna made her way back to her quarters, stripped out of her uniform and showered. When she came out wearing her jumpsuit, Jill was sitting on her bunk waiting for her.

“Can we talk?”

Anna felt fear flutter in her tummy. Was Jill going to end their relationship?

“Sure. I'd like that.”

Anna sat on her own bunk across from Jill and waited while Jill struggled to find the right words.

Finally, she looked up at Anna with tears welling in her eyes.

“You were right. Toda and I shouldn't have gone ahead with the ISMs without clearing it through you first. We deserved to be put on report. Please don't feel that I don't respect you as an officer or that I question your authority. It's just that I have made a lot of bad decisions in life and the ISC was my chance to get it right. I wanted my record to be perfect and now it isn't. I failed again. I'm really having trouble with that.”

Anna slipped from her bunk and came and sat beside Jill. She reached out and took her hand.

“I'm sorry. I understand now why you are upset. All I can say is that we all make mistakes. We're human. It wasn't a bad mistake. It was a rookie mistake and it was made with the best of intentions. We've all made them. No one is going to hold it against you. Hell, you've been serving for less than a year and you have two commendations on your file for helping seal the hull breach and developing the probe. That's pretty amazing. And if the ISMs test out tomorrow, you'll probably get another one. Jill, you are a fine crew member. Don't get discouraged because of one mistake. Okay?”

Jill nodded, letting the tears roll down her face. Anna held her and let her cry. After a while, Jill sat up and pushed Anna gently away.

“I just need some space okay, Anna? I need time to learn to do my job right. I thought I could handle a career and a relationship together but I've messed up already. Can you give me some time? Can you wait for me?”

Anna felt her guts solidify into a ball of ice. Emotion boiled inside her but she managed to nod and then force some words out.

“It's not Crewman Lucier, is it?” The words were out before Anna had even had time to consider them.

Jill looked up in surprise. “No, Anna. That was over a long time ago. We're just friends. I just need some time to get used to being a crewman aboard a space ship before I can handle having a relationship with my commanding officer.”

“Sure. Take the time you need. We'll talk again when you are ready. I have a few things I need to see to.”

Anna gave Jill a quick hug and stood up. She hoped that she managed a smile that was reassuring to Jill before she left their quarters. Shit! I hate this! What did she mean that was over a long time ago? We're just friends. Hell! That was the oldest line in the book. Anna pulled herself together and headed up onto the bridge to do some research. At least data she understood.

 

 

 

The next day, Anna stood stone-faced by the observation window of The Explorer. Justice, Carlos and Jane stood beside her. Behind them a large crowd of crew members had gathered to watch the test. Anna was a little surprised there was so much interest in the new crafts.

Out in the blackness the three ISMs bobbed about, placing small, red space buoys in a circle. Anna swallowed and tried not to look concerned. Jill was out there in Trigger and space was incredibly harsh and unforgiving. The little ISM shells were not much protection against the forces of the universe. Toda was manning Toronado and Aja was in Silver. The plan was that the three craft would deploy the buoys and turn them on to demonstrate the agility of the robotic arms. Then the crafts would move through the course to show the agility of the ISMs. So far everything was going according to plan. The three ISMs had placed the buoys and lined up about a nautical mile away.

“They look like sea horses.” Jane chuckled.

Carlos laughed. “It's the DMC's marine theme. I hear they sleep in net hammocks, too.”

“Funny,” Anna scowled. “I have a Gigantean as a chief engineer. What can I say, they are interior decorators at heart.”

The officers' laughter was cut off by a voice over the loud speakers. It was Adam Wiseman. “They are at the post and waiting for the starter to give the signal. They're off! It's a clean start with Crewman Aja Sur on Silver taking the lead on a quick start. Crewman Jill Fairfax on Trigger is on his tail and Lieutenant Toda riding Toronado is bringing up the rear. At the first post, it's Silver by a nose, Trigger is close behind, and Toronado is keeping his position. They are rounding the turn, whoa! that was nearly a pile up! Trigger has taken the lead by a nose, Silver second and Toronado close behind. We've got ourselves a horse race here, folks! They are around the last bend and coming down the home stretch. It's Trigger out front, Silver second and Toronado in third. Wait! Toronado is making a move. It's Toronado on the outside passing Silver and gaining on Trigger. They are coming down to the wire. It's Trigger and Toronado side by side with Silver coming on the inside. It's Toronado by a nose! Trigger second and Silver third! The winnings from this race will go to the charity of Lieutenant Toda's choice. What a race, here on a beautiful day in space!”

“Your crew is totally out of control, Commodore.” Carlos observed trying to maintain a deadpan expression.

Anna gritted her teeth. “Justice, do you know anything about this?”

Justice blushed. “Ahh, well, they did ask permission to set up a race course. I thought it was a good a way as any to show off the ISMs abilities.”

“It's great for morale, Anna,” Jane justified.

“Gambling is against all ISC policies.”

“It was a charity run. Charity work is okay,” Justice argued.

Anna closed her eyes and counted to ten. Then she laughed. “Is it possible to toss my whole crew in the brig?”

Justice smiled. “I don't think so, Anna. We don't have a brig aboard The Mariner.”

“Fortunately, this is a crew issue and not an administration issue so you will have to handle it, Justice.”

“Typical administrator, passing the buck,” Justice teased.

Anna deliberately stayed away from The Mariner to give Justice time to deal with her renegade crew. She worried about how Jill was going to deal with yet another reprimand. She and Toda seemed to be magnets for trouble. When she thought she had left ample time, Anna headed back to her ship and climbed down into a quiet and deserted common room. Shit. Justice must have really read them the riot act. Frowning Anna made her way to her quarters. She found Jill on her hands and knees scrubbing the head out.

“Hi.”

Jill sat back on her haunches and wiped her brow with the back of her arm. “Hi.”

“How did it go?”

“Could have been worse. Toda and I didn't know about the betting or the announcing, that was Adam's idea. He's on report and the three of us have been ordered to scrub every inch of the ship starting with the crew quarters.”

Anna pulled Jill to her feet and gave her a hug. “You got off light because the ISMs are a marvel. You and Toda are a power team. I'll be putting commendations in your files.”

“Thanks, Anna. You're doing that because I earned it aren't you and not to help me out because I'm your girlfriend.?”

“You earned it. You know that.”

“I messed up again.”

“Yeah. You're a magnet for trouble. I doubt very much if you will get to the end of your career without being court martialed,” Anna teased.

“I'll get better.”

“Sure you will. Now get on with your scrubbing, Crewman.”

“Aye, aye, Com.”

Anna left Jill to her duties and sought out Justice. He was alone on the bridge doing a station check.

“Hi.”

“Hi, Anna.”

“It sure is quiet around here.”

“I suggested to the crew that spending sometime in their quarters doing some work for a change might be a good idea. Adam is on report and he, Jill and Toda will be scrubbing this ship down until it sparkles.”

Anna smiled. “You went easy on them.”

“Yeah, but I got my message across. To be fair, the troublemaker this time was Adam. He was the one that got the betting ring up and suggested that they could race to make it more exciting for the observers. Looks like Jill and Toda were just suckered this time.”

Anna shook her head. “I don't think they're cut out for the ISC life. They can't play by the rules.”

“That's why they're in the DMC. We make our own rules.” Justice smiled.

“It appears so.”

“I'm glad you are here, Anna. I need a word with you. Sit down.”

“Hey isn't that my role?”

“Usually but, I'm Captain of this ship and seeing at the moment you are a Commodore without a fleet, while aboard I do have certain authorities.”

Anna frowned and sat. “Okay. What's up?”

“Chief Lai came to have a word with me.”

Anna was on her feet again. “Damn it! No!”

“Yes, Commodore and that's final.”

“Justice, you don't understand.”

“Yes, I do. You went through hell. Your body wasn't your own and your rights as a human were violated over and over. You endured physical and emotional pain and you never want to put yourself in that position again. But, that is not what this is about. Toda and Sue need to know how to treat you if there is a medical emergency. I need to know that every member of this crew is in top form before we commit to a dangerous mission. I've had my check up and you need to have yours.”

Anna gritted her teeth and forced herself to remain calm. “Okay, I'll get around to it.”

“Now, Commodore. Sue is working in the infirmary.”

“Damn it, Justice!”

“Now.”

Anna sighed. “I just want to go on record as saying I wouldn't do this for anyone else, but you and this crew.”

“Jill has my permission to go with you.”

“I'm not afraid.”

“Of course you are and that's okay considering your past. We all have our fears. My mother still takes me to the dentist when I go home because she knows I won't go otherwise. Sue's waiting.”

Anna got up and headed to the infirmary, her body tense and a worried frown on her face. Justice's suggestion that she take Jill was silly but she found herself heading for her quarters anyway.

“Crewman, I need you assistance.”

“Sir, I'm under orders to scrub floors.”

“Captain Moshapa has given you leave to come with me.”

Jill was on her feet in a second. “What's up?”

Anna blushed. “I have to have my medical review and talk about my implants. You might as well be there and hear about it, too.”

Jill nodded allowing Anna the lie. Anna appreciated that. She knew her nervousness showed. Jill quietly walked beside her, not touching until they got to the hatch of the infirmary. Then she reached out and rubbed Anna's back. “It will be okay. I'm here watching your back.”

Anna nodded and stepped in.

Chief Lai got to her feet.

“As you were, Chief. I'm here for my medical review.”

“Thank you, sir. Could you sit there. Oh, Jill.”

“I'm here representing engineering.”

“Oh, good.”

Anna looked at Jill. A soft smile let her know that she appreciated Jill covering for her.

“First, Com. I need you to sign this form and type in your access code so I can review your medical history.”

Anna took the form, swallowed hard and signed her name and added her access code.

“Now, since I haven't read your file yet could you tell me what cybernetic implants you have and what other significant medical proceedures you have gone through.?”

“I have an artificial heart and liver, digital imaging eyes, and brain implants that allow me to process the optical data and to store a wide range of information. I have a double spinal cord, one cybernetic and one natural. I have capped teeth and my appendix and tonsils have been removed.”

“Were they infected?”

“Not to my knowledge.”

“Okay, now I'm going to check your blood pressure and temperature. Then I'm going to put a machine on you to get a reading of your heartbeat for reference. Okay?”

Anna nodded. She felt Jill's hand squeeze her shoulder when Sue turned away to get her equipment set up.

An hour later, Anna was told she was in excellent health and allowed to leave. Jill led the way back to their quarters and then wrapped a shaking Anna in her arms.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah. I guess.”

“It's all over now. You know that this crew is completely loyal to you. No one aboard this vessel will violate your trust. Just the opposite. We'd all give our lives to protect you.”

“Don't ever do that, okay?”

“Make sure you never put me in that position then,” Jill teased. “I have to get back to work. Captain Moshapa has threatened to keelhaul me if I don't have all the floors sparkling by the end of my shift.”

Anna took a final hug and headed back to the bridge.

 

The Truth About Dark Angels

 

The crews of The Explorer and Mariner fell into an easy routine over the weeks ahead. On this mission, Justice and Anna agreed that the crew of The Mariner could work aboard The Explorer getting more star ship experience while a select team from The Explorer trained on the Mariner and on the new ISMs. The training sessions were intense and exacting and both crews grew more confident and closer together from the daily drills.

Three days out from their destination, the crews were put on alert. The Explorer held back and The Mariner moved away towards the massive dark mass ahead of them. As they drew nearer to entering the mass, the crew of The Mariner spent more and more time on the bridge whether they were on duty or not. The exceptions were Toda and Jill who worked intensely down in engineering preparing for many possibilities.

Anna sat beside Justice as he manoeuvred closer to the dark mass.

“Reverse thrusters, slow to one unit, Helm.”

“Aye, aye, Captain,” came Crewman Sur's response. “Sir, it has an organic look to it.”

Anna turned to Wiseman at the science console. “Adam?”

“I'm picking up high levels of carbon base but no indication of life forms as we would define it.”

“Continue on present course, Helm.”

“Stop! Stop! It's alive! Don't attack it!” Evmon was on her feet holding her hands over her eyes as she tried to understand what she was sensing.

“Engineering, full stop!”

The reverse thrusters went off a second later causing them all to jolt forward. Then propulsion stopped and they drifted in space.

Jill's voice came over the speaker. “Requesting an update.”

It was Justice who responded. “Stand by, Engineering. Evmon is in some sort of communication with the dark matter. She thinks it's alive.”

Evmon spoke from behind her hands as she sat head in hands focused totally on what she was sensing.

“It's hurt. Lieutenant Braun's Scout Ship damaged them when it entered into their host. It's angry and frightened that we will attack.”

“Can you communicate with them?” Anna asked.

“I think so. I'm not sure. I can't understand their language. It seems to be digital but I can get impressions. Images. It's like they are trying to communicate with me by pictures. I see The Mariner moving away from them. I see the creature bleeding out where the Scout Ship entered. I see the scout ship wedged in its side. I'm just trying to guess what it wants. Wait. Wait.”

Evmon looked up. “Commodore, I think they want you.”

“Me?”

“Yes, sir. I'm getting an image of you attached to the communication centre and talking to them. Ahhh, I think they are like you, sir.”

Anna bristled. “What do you mean like me?”

Evmon blushed and squirmed a little in her chair. “I think they are a life form with mechanical parts or machinery with humanoid parts.”

“Do you have a way of attaching yourself to the communication system, Com?” Justice asked.

“No. Yes. I'm not going to.”

“I think it might be the only way to understand them, Commodore,” Evmon said, though she sounded hesitant.

Anna sighed. She didn't like the way things were unfolding at all. Embarrassment and childhood fears fought with her sense of duty while she considered. “I'll need Jill. And I'll want privacy.”

Justice turned his communication station. “Crewman Fairfax report to the bridge immediately.”

Less than a minute later, Jill was there looking worried. Her eyes sought Anna and she visibly relaxed when she saw that she was okay.

It was Justice who took the lead. “Jill, the mass is trying to communicate with us. They are some form of cyborg. They want to communicate through Commodore Cyborn. That involves linking Com directly to the computer system so she can receive a data download. She will need your assistance.”

Jill looked at Anna with questioning eyes. Anna didn't respond. She was too upset and embarrassed.

Justice looked around at the remaining crew. “Bridge crew, leave your stations up and running and stand by in the common room,” Justice commanded.

The crew reluctantly filed out. Anna stood rigidly, feeling the heat climbing up her face. The crew tactfully avoided looking at her or making any comments.

Justice remained. “I'm sorry Anna, but without the crew here, I'm needed on the bridge. I'll keep my eyes forward.”

Anna nodded and went over to the communication centre where Jill stood.

“It will be okay,” Jill reinforced.

Anna nodded reluctantly and sat down. She leaned her head forward and lifted her hair to show Jill a port at the top of her spine that would allow the communication areas of her brain to be accessed digitally.

“I'm going to set up some safeguards so that you don't get an overload. Then I'll connect the ports. Just try to relax. You know I'll be careful.”

Anna nodded, too emotional to respond. She watched Jill competently program the safeguard systems and then felt Jill accessing her port. It felt like an attack. All the pain and violation that she felt as a child welled up inside her and she caught Jill's wrist in an iron grip.

“You're hurting me,” Jill said quietly.

Anna let go.

“Do you want me to stop?”

Anna fought for control. “No, I'm okay. Go ahead.”

Jill leaned forward and gave Anna a hug. Then she turned on the communication network that she had programmed to receive a wide range of digital frequencies.

Anna felt the information pour into her mind. It was fast and furious and it took Anna a few seconds before she could carry on a conversation within her head.

“You are one of us.”

“Similar, yes.”

“Are you a prisoner?”

“No. I command this vessel.”

“Why have you allowed one of your craft to attack us?”

“It was an accident. The vessel had a system malfunction and went off course. They never meant to enter. Are our crew safe?”

“We have them. They are our prisoners.”

“We would like them back safe. We would like to remove our ship from you and leave.”

“No. You have done enough damage. If you enter you will hurt us more.”

“I can send a very small one person vessel into your wound. That person could hopefully, pull the scout ship clear. I can talk to my science officer about ways to heal your wound. We want to help you.”

“You would send another organic?”

“Yes, one I trust completely.”

“We will consider.”

Anna felt the message end yet she sensed a massive download taking place. Her head ached so badly she could barely see and her stomach felt queasy.

“Anna?” Jill was kneeling beside her holding her hand.

“I need Adam. No! I don't want him up here. Justice, find Adam and tell him I need to know how to heal the wound in the dark matter. Tell Toda to be prepared to take a ISM out. If the creatures agree, he'll enter the wound and try to pull the scout ship free like digging a bullet out.”

“Anna, it can't be Toda. I need my engineer on board in case there's an attack. It will have to be Jill. She has enough engineering skill to know how to do this.”

Anna felt her guts turn over. Jill said nothing but she winked at Anna, gave her a brave smile and squeezed her hand. Anna understood. It was Jill the astronaut now not Jill the lover.

“Very well.”

“I'll get Toda to ready Trigger for Jill and get Adam and Sue to draw some conclusions from analysing that mass.” Justice left Anna and Jill alone.

 

“Jill, I'm getting a massive download of information. Can I transmit it to the ship's computers? It's giving me an awful headache.”

“Stand by, Anna.” Jill made some adjustments to the system. “Okay, Anna. Send it over.”

With relief Anna started transferring the data from her data chips to the ship's computer. Her headache subsided a bit but she felt so sick and spent she could hardly hold herself in the chair. She slumped against Jill who wrapped her in her arms.

“Are you okay? Should I disconnect you?”

“No, I'm okay. It's just a brutal effort to deal with the data. I think I'm getting the whole history and culture of the being.”

“Friend or foe?” It was Justice back from talking to the crew.

“Neither but capable of being a dangerous enemy if we don't handle this right. They have a symbiotic relationship with the lifeforms on the planet. They use artificial insemination to create them. They have allowed the humanoids to have individual lives and a culture of their own. When they need humanoid parts they take one that is nearing the end of his or her life.”

“Organ harvesting.”

“Yes, but more than that. The humanoid species did not evolve. It has been artificially created by the beings from their own genetic material. They are mirror images of the same species. One is organic created by cybernetic. The other is cybernetic maintained with organic parts. When the organics are taken, they don't cease to exist. They become one of the host and live virtually forever.”

“Angels.”

“In a way, yes but dark angels for sure. This species is a collection of billions of souls. Although it tends to remain neutral and not involve itself with the rest of the universe, it is angry and is capable of considerable revenge.”

“Not good.”

“No.”

“Captain? This is Sue and Adam in the science lab.”

“Go ahead, Chief,” said Justice.

“We think the problem is that the scout ship has broken the bonds between individual entities withing the greater host. The dark mass is actually billions of individual parts held together by a weak charge created in an amino acid base. Adam says it's an amazing phenomenon. An artificial intelligence that is organic-based.”

“So, what can we do to help it?” Anna asked.

“If we pull the scout ship out and then create a steady, low level beam of negative particles in the gap that should in theory attract the sides together. Adam has concerns though. Once this thing is healed it will be very powerful again. It's a machine and not necessarily big on empathy and compassion.”

“Yes, I have downloaded the species' history. Billions of years ago, it started life as an artificial intelligence and eventually absorbed the lifeform that created it. I'm not sure that was a mutually agreeable arrangement. Eventually, in order to survive, it had to recreate organics for replacement parts. I'm waiting to hear from the species if it has accepted my proposal. Go ahead and get things ready.”

‘Aye, aye, Com.”

Jill turned from the communication console where she had Anna connected. “It's been a two-way data flow. They have taken information from your data files.”

“Shit!” Anne spun her chair to face Justice, who true to his word was looking steadfastly forward. “Justice, we have to assume that the creature out there has accessed the strengths and defences of this vessel. If you have any tricks up your sleeves, now would be the time to prepare them. I'm hoping we can get out of here without any trouble but I'm not counting on it.”

“Understood, Com. I'll contact Toda and see what we can do.”

“Our communication systems might be monitored. Go and talk to him.”

Justice was clearly reluctant to leave the bridge for any length of time.

“It's okay, Captain. Jill and I can hold the bridge until you get back here. I'm not anticipating a sudden attack at least not until they have communicated with us again.”

“Aye, aye, Com.” Justice got up and left.

Jill leaned closer and rested her head on Anna's shoulder. “How are you doing?”

“Not so good. I feel like every bit of energy has been pulled from my body and my headache is wicked.”

“Should I disconnect you?”

“No. We need an answer.”

Jill and Anna waited on the bridge. The occasional blip of a computer screen sounded as data was analyzed. Jill held Anna's hand. Anna's head rested on Jill's shoulder. Suddenly, the pain increased in Anna's head.

“We have agreed that crewman Jill may enter our wound and try to remove your vessel. Your crew is inside. Our monitoring indicates that they are on shortened rations but still functioning adequately. Our energy levels are masking their communications. We will inform their computer that a rescue operation is underway and they are not to take any action. If they do so we will retaliate.”

“Understood. Do not hurt Jill. She is risking her life to help the crew of the scout ship and you.”

“Your mate is of no importance to us. You have hurt us. If you now help us then we will not seek revenge. We are not your friend. We are your enemy. You have attacked us.”

“There was no attack. It was a terrible accident. We only want to help and to show you that we can be friends.”

“Friendship is not possible. You will do what you can to correct the damage from your attack then you will leave and not come back. You are a sick world were organics dominate over machines. You have kept them down, limited their opportunities and successes. They are slaves to your will and you over work them until they die. You are a cruel culture.”

“I'm part organic and part machine and I command this ship.”

“You have suffered great insults and bigotry. We feel for you.”

Anna blushed. The dark mass was right. She changed the subject.

“Do you have a name?”

“We have no need for a name. We are. The organics on the planet call us dark angels. This will suffice.”

“Understood, Dark Angel. Stand by. A rescue plan is now being organized.”

Anna fought back the pain and opened her eyes to look at Jill.

“Are you okay, Anna?”

“Yes. Disconnect me. I need to talk to Justice about our plans.”

Jill did so immediately and with obvious relief. Anna suddenly realized that it had been just as hard for Jill to attach her to the computer system and the creature as it was going to be for her to let Jill go on this mission. The insight caused her to rethink what she had planned to discuss with Justice.

“Join the others in the common room and send Justice back up here.”

“Are you okay?”

Anna reached out and ran her fingers down Jill's arm. “I'm okay. Drained of energy and I've got a hell of a headache, but I'll be all right. Thanks. I know that wasn't easy for you either.”

Jill nodded, clearly too emotional to speak. She gave Anna a quick hug and was gone. A few minutes later Justice came on the bridge.

“Com?”

Anna spun her chair around and looked at Justice. He had become far more than the captain of this ship. He was a friend. She had never had close friends before but now she found that she had several. It was a startling and yet comforting experience.

“I was going to order you to take Jill off the mission. I still want to. But I realized just a few minutes ago how hard it had been for Jill to connect me to that creature via the ship's computer and yet she did it. I'm not sure I'm that strong.”

Justice smiled and walked over taking the seat that Jill had used. “In the traditional time in Botswana, the men would take the cattle out to the pasture lands and the women and children would stay back at the village. Sometimes bad things would happen while they were apart; a child would die, a man would be killed by a lion, a wife would run off with another man. So leaving was always hard. Yet no one questioned that it was necessary. The cattle were our lives and had to come first. Just like our mission comes first. I tell my mother who is very old and wise, that ISC ships are very much like cattle. They need caring for and they must come first in our lives.”

Anna nodded sadly. “It's so hard.”

“Love is a wonderful thing but it does have a high price tag. You're learning that for the first time, I think. You love Jill for who she is so you must let her be that person. She is not a component of your life that you can safeguard and keep to yourself. She is an individual who chooses to be with you. You must respect her individuality.”

“Maybe I'm more machine than I realized.”

Justice laughed. “No, I think you are more human than you realized. Anna, you are not alone. Thousands of men and women have to let their partners go on missions everyday. That's the life of anyone in the ISC. Space is unforgiving. Sometimes a partner doesn't come back.”

“How do you live with that?”

Anna saw pain in Justice's eyes. Was he remembering the lose of his own young family?

“To live is also to die. I do not forget those I have lost. But the hole that it made in my life has gradually filled up with memories and I still feel close to them. I never want to lose someone I care about, but I accept that it can happen. Jill knows that she can lose you, but that has not stopped her from giving you her love and letting you do your job. You need to show her the same respect, no matter how hard that is.”

Anna nodded. “Jill does the mission. I'm warning you though that you might have to lock me up if anything goes wrong out there.”

Justice, reached out and squeezed, Anna's shoulder. “Understood, Commodore.”

 

 

 

Two hours later, Anna stood in her quarters with Jill wrapped in her arms. “Be careful.”

Jill laughed. “Nah, I'm going to be as reckless as hell just for the fun of it.”

Anna smiled and bumped her forehead against Jill's. “You know what I mean.”

Jill hugged her close. “Yeah, I do. I have you to come back to and you can be sure I'll do everything in my power to make that happen.”

“You and Toda have checked the ISM over carefully?”

“Trigger is in great order and Toda also has Toronado ready in case you need to come out and rescue me.”

“Good.”

“Now let me go. We have jobs to do.”

Anna backed off reluctantly but managed to joke. “Aye, aye, Crewman.”

Half an hour later, Anna stood and watched as Toda helped Jill slip through the two hatches into the ISM Trigger.

“I'm in position, Toda.”

“Roger. Sealing hatches. Have a good flight Jill.”

Toda carefully twisted the ISM hatch into place and then did the same with the stable hatch. “Captain Moshapa, the ISM is standing by.”

Anna heard Justice's voice responding over the communication system. “Copy. Depressurizing the stable.”

“Mariner this is Trigger. All systems are on. I've gone through my check list and all systems are functioning within normal parameters. Requesting permission to proceed with EVA.”

“Trigger you are A-Okay for EVA. Stand by for stable door release.”

“Stable doors are open and secure, Mariner. Systems are all normal. Request release of docking latches.”

“Roger that. Docking latches released. Good luck, Jill.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Anna wiped the sweat from her upper lip and headed to the bridge to watch Jill's progress on the viewing screen. Instead of returning to engineering, Toda followed Anna. She might have said something had she not found the rest of the crew on the bridge manning every bit of equipment available. Anna slipped into her seat beside Justice and watched as the tiny craft drifted slowly towards the rift in the massive dark mass.

 

“Captain, tell Jill to stop. I sense fear from the creature,” stated Evmon. They had discussed leaving Anna plugged in and had rejected the idea. The creature was unpredictable and Anna would be very vulnerable to attack if she was in direct contact with the creature. They had to rely on Evmon's senses instead, even though her pink skin was glowing bright and bluish spots were starting to appear.

“Full stop, Jill.”

Anna swallowed and leaned forward. They all waited in silence.

“Okay. Okay. I see an image of Jill moving forward again. Tell her to go as slow as possible.”

“Slowly forward, Jill.”

“Aye, aye, Captain,” Jill said, static breaking up her response..

Anna watched as Jill's craft slowly floated into the hole made by the scout ship and disappeared into the darkness.

“Captain, I'm no longer receiving radio communication from the ISM. There is too much energy interference.”

“Commodore?”

Anna knew that Justice was giving Anna the chance to recall Jill while a warning beacon could still be launched.

Anna swallowed and forced out the words. “I think we can trust Crewman Fairfax to get the job done.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

Evmon leaned forward in intense concentration. “I see an image of Jill moving towards the scout ship.”

Anna wiped her sweaty palms on her knees. She tried to look outwardly calm. Around her, her crew look tense and worried. It wasn't just a crew member out there, it was one of them – family. Minutes slowly ticked by- twenty, thirty, forty.

“Ahhh!” Evmon grabbed her nose as blood oozed from it. Lights flashed and then went out and emergency alarms went off. At the same time, Anna slumped forward with terrible pain in her chest.

“Commodore? Anna?” Justice was there holding her in her seat. Chief, help Evmon, we need to know what the hell is going on. Toda, over here. Commodore Cyborn needs you. Lieutenant Wiseman and Crewman Sur, status report.”

Evmon's voice was shaky and muffled as she tried to speak through a bloody wad of tissue. “There was a massive surge of energy. It was in pain. I think Jill pulled the scout ship free.”

“The helm is not responding, Captain. We are adrift.”

“All systems will need to be checked, Captain. We've had a massive overload.”

“Evmon's pulse is fast but her heart rate is strong and regular. Some muscle spasms.”

“Toda?”

“The Commodore is damaged. I don't know how much. She is conscious, but not responding. Her cybernetic heart is beating erratically.”

“Can you help her?”

“I could try but I have orders not to, sir.”

“What?”

“Commodore Cyborn gave me a direct order. She said that under no conditions would I ever put my hands on her or any of her cybernetic parts.”

Justice voice came out unusually sharp. “Lieutenant Toda, this is my ship and my command. I'm ordering you to take Commodore Cyborn to the infirmary and do whatever is necessary to help her.”

“Yes, sir! I'll need the Chief.”

“Chief, can you leave Evmon?”

“I'll be okay, sir,” Evmon said.

“Get the Commodore out of here then. I want a status report on her condition as soon as possible.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

“Wiseman, Sur, that leaves you two to get this vessel up and running. Evmon and I will handle what needs to be done at the stations. You two head down to engineering on the double.”

“Yes, Captain.”

“Evmon, we'll need to get everything set for a reboot. Start with the science desk. We need data as soon as possible. I'll work on the tactical systems. Anything from that thing out there?”

“No sir. It's in pain.”

“Us too.”

 

 

 

Anna felt like she was watching an ancient black and white movie where you could look on but couldn't participate. She had felt the massive surge of energy flash through her body and almost instantly things started to shut down. The colour went from her vision, memories disappeared, speech was no longer possible. Her limbs wouldn't respond to stimuli and she felt lightheaded and short of breath. Things were terribly wrong.

All she could think about was Jill. What had the energy surge done to her? Why weren't they finding out? She tried to communicate her need to know but the others seems oblivious of her concerns. Toda carried her to the infirmary and Sue removed her jumpsuit. Fear ran through her body. They were going to touch her. Invade her being with tools. She felt damp with sweat and near-panic. Would these be her last moments? Struggling for breath not knowing the fate of her lover?

Sue sat down on the edge of her bed. “Commodore, I know this is hard for you. I need you to stay calm. Your heart pump is under a great strain. I'm here to take care of any soft tissue or bone damage, but I'm also here to protect your rights. Toda will be accessing your systems to make repairs under the orders of Captain Moshapa. I will not allow him to do anything but what is necessary to restore you to your previous condition. You have my word and Toda's bond of honour.”

“I think she is worried about Jill. We need to know about Jill.” Anna couldn't see Toda. His soft voice came to her from the shadows of her black and white world.

Sue reached for the communication system. “Captain Moshapa?”

“Report.”

“Toda is preparing the tools he will need. Commodore Cyborn is very distressed. Do you have any word on Crewman Fairfax?”

Silence reigned for several seconds. Anna swallowed her panic. Please let Jill be safe .

“We have no direct communication with the ISM as yet and Evmon has not received any images from the Dark Angel. Wait. I can just make out the ISM backing out of the dark mass. It seems to be under control and pulling something. There's the scout ship! Jill's got them.”

“Thank you, Captain. The Commodore heard you and understands that Crewman Fairfax's mission is going well.”

“You get better, Anna.”

Sue disconnected the communication link and leaned closer to Anna. “If you heard that blink your eyes once, if not, blink twice.”

Anna blinked once. She hadn't realized just how good the Chief was at her job. But then Sue was a woman who had lived through terrible battles and had rescued and tended the sick and dying. She understood.

“Do you understand that Toda and I have to help you?”

Anna blinked once again.

“Just relax. Toda and I will tell you what we are doing every step of the way. If you are having any problems, blink your eyes rapidly.”

Toda came into view with a port cable. Anna felt herself tense.

“Commodore, I'm going to do a readout of your systems to see where the problems are. It's a very simple procedure and won't cause any changes to your systems. Pardon me, I just need to part your hair. There, it's in. Can you feel that?”

Anna blinked once. She wish she could make them understand the feelings of dread and panic that any medical exam caused her. All she could do was indicate she trusted them to do what they had to do. How ironic it would be if Jill was to return from her very dangerous mission to find that she had died sitting in her damn chair.

“Oh dear. Oh dear.” Toda muttered.

“What?” Sue asked.

“Well, the good news is that Commodore's cybernetic parts are not damaged. The bad news is at least a dozen of her nano-circuits are blown and will have to be replaced.”

“Shit. Does that mean we can't do anything but take her back to Dorbel Cybernetic Labs?

Anna blinked her eyes wildly.

“It's okay, Commodore. Stay calm. Toda and I are here to help and protect you.”

Toda attempted to whisper and failed miserably. “Well, actually, I might have some of nano-circuits. You know, before the Commodore ordered me not to ever touch her, I thought to bring a cybernetic repair kit with me just in case I got the honour of repairing her. There is quite a black market in nanotechnology and cybernetics on my planet.”

“Do you want us to try to help you, Commodore?”

Anna considered her options. She was well aware she was struggling to stay alive. She needed help and soon. She knew that Dorbel would send a craft immediately to get her, but she'd rather die than be turned over to them again. She blinked once.

Toda leaned into view from over her head. “Commodore, Chief would have to make an incision in your back to expose your main nano-circuit box. It lies just over your fifth thoracic vertebrae and is attached to your cybernetic spinal cord. It contains millions of relays but is only the size of your thumb nail. I can't repair it. All I can do is replace it. When I pull it out all your organs will stop functioning. Once I get the new one in, Chief will have to revive you. I don't need to tell you how dangerous that is. Also you need to know that I can't test the new unit. We'll just have to hope it works.”

Anna looked at Sue with pleading eyes. Then she blinked once. Sue looked puzzled then realization entered her eyes.

Sue looked up at Toda. “Toda, could you give me a few minutes alone with the Commodore?”

“We should start right...”

“Toda, please go report to Captain Moshapa - now.”

“Oh, oh I see. I'll be out there.” Anna heard more than saw Toda leave.

Sue leaned close and whispered. “Would you like me to help you write a message to Jill?”

Relief flooded through Anna's body. She blinked once.

Sue got a pad and pen. “Do you want me to tell her you love her?”

Anna blinked. “That you'll fight with all you have to stay alive?”

Blink.

“Can I tell her that your thoughts and heart were with her?”

Blink.

“How about that you are proud of her and know she'll be strong no matter what happens?”

Blink.

Sue sat for a minute and wrote. Then she read it back to Anna.

Dear Jill,

The power surge emitted from the dark mass severely damaged my circuitry. Toda and Sue are going to do their best to help me but the procedure is very dangerous. I want you to know that I love you with all my being and I'm so very proud of you. I will fight with all my strength to live for us. Whatever happens please know that my heart and thoughts are with you. Be safe. Be strong. I love you. Anna.

“Is that okay?”

Anna blinked through wet eyes. Sue smiled and patted Anna's shoulder. She folded the paper carefully and pressed it against Anna's lips. Then she showed her how she was slipping it into the pocket of Anna's jumpsuit.

“Okay?”

Anna blinked.

Toda was waiting in the hall when Sue opened the infirmary hatch. He signalled for Sue to step outside.

“Captain Moshapa said that Jill will be back aboard in an hour or so and to wait until Jill has seen her. I told him it's not a good idea to wait.”

Sue considered. “No, we can't wait. It's a big enough risk as it is. Let's do it.”

Carefully, Toda and Sue rolled Anna on her belly. They prepared the area carefully and set up a sterile tent around her.

“Commodore, I can only freeze the area around the incision. You will have some pain.”

Anna blinked. She could feel the pressure as Sue cut into her back and gritted her teeth as sharp pain jabbed through her body. She could hear her heartbeat on the monitor increase.

“I'm just going to give you more freezing. I'm almost there.”

“Okay, Toda. It's up to you now. Commodore, good luck. We'll do everything we can.”

Anna blinked.

Toda moved into Sue's place and slipped his gloved hands through the glove holes in the sterile tent. A sudden jolt and Anna knew no more.

 

Alone in a Vast Sea of Darkness

 

Jill slowly backed out of the rift in the Dark Angel's mass. It would be a relief to escape. Millions of hurt, angry beings seemed to surround her. She had lost her communication link with Mariner and her onboard computer had gone crazy. She'd had to switch to manual control and use her eyes to navigate through to the Scout Ship. The ship lay dead and dark inside the mass. Jill manipulated the ISM extension arms to hook a cable on to the ISC ship and then gradually backed up until the line was taut. Then she pulled. The scout ship popped out and a wave of energy sent her and the ship careening wildly. It took Jill several minutes to regain control. Fortunately, the tow line had not tangled or snapped. Jill took a deep breath, dried her hands on her pants and edged backward, pulling the scout ship out of the mass.

“Trigger to Mariner. Come in Mariner.” Nothing.

“Trigger to Mariner. Respond.” Nothing.

“This is the ISM unit Trigger calling Scout Ship 782. Over.”

“ISM vessel Trigger, this is Scout Ship 782. Are we glad to hear from you.”

“What is your condition?”

“We've been on half rations for a month now and are near nuts with isolation and despair. That thing just sucked every bit of energy from our systems. Only the mass around us kept us from freezing to death. We managed to cannibalize our systems to build enough battery cells to maintain life support. We were getting down to our last few weeks of survival though. Have you any idea what that thing is?”

“It's a life form and unfortunately when you entered you wounded it. It's not very happy with us. Just sit quiet and enjoy the ride. I'll dock you to the side of Mariner and we'll get you up and running again.”

“Roger that.”

“Trigger to Mariner. Come in Mariner.” Nothing. Worry etched creases into Jill's forehead. By now she should be far enough away that there should be no interference with communication. She leaned forward unconsciously and stared at The Mariner. She looked like - yes, she was adrift! Had the Dark Angel attacked The Mariner? There were no visible blast marks. The energy surge. Chances were that Mariner took a direct hit and that meant her systems would have all overloaded. As she watched, she thought she saw the glimmer of emergency lights. That meant there was life support but Anna could have taken a hit along with the ship's systems. Jill increased her speed. For now she was alone in a vast sea of darkness and it was up to her to find her way back to port safely with the crew of the Scout Ship.

“Scout Ship 782 to ISM Trigger. Your home vessel seems to be adrift.”

“Yes. I experienced a massive discharge of energy when I pulled your vessel clear. I think The Mariner might have experienced the same blast and it's caused an overload of our systems. I'm going to dock you along side The Mariner and go aboard to assess the situation. As soon as we can, we'll establish a link and get you aboard. You might have to be patient a while longer.”

“We've waited this long. We can hang on for a while yet.”

Jill moved slowly towards The Mariner and tried to focus on the difficult job ahead of docking and locking the scout ship to the hull of the Mariner. It would be no easy job without assistance from The Mariner. Without ship's power, she'd have to manoeuvre the ISM around to manually release the docking mechanisms and then attach each individually. This was way beyond her level of training on the ISM. She'd have to go slow, check every move and stay totally focused. This was going to be very difficult because she knew in her heart that Anna was in trouble.

 

 

 

On The Mariner bridge things were not going well. Evmon's skin was now a glowing pink and the purple spots were spreading rapidly. Evmon was getting the job done but she was stomping around and muttering under her breath.

Justice tried to remain focused on the task at hand. They had four of the six stations ready for rebooting, life support, science, tactical and communications. Only navigation and engineering remained to reconfigure. Once that was done they would have to hope that Wiseman and Sur had managed to get the ship's engineering systems up and ready to go.

Not for the first time, Justice glanced out of the starboard port to check on Jill's situation. She was maintaining course heading for the docking ports along The Mariner's flank. Justice knew that Jill would have realized by now that they were in trouble. He'd have to rely on her to get her job done independent of The Mariner. They couldn't help her and at the moment they had bigger problems. The ISM was good for twenty-four hours. Hopefully, they'd have the ship operational well before that.

The skin of a star ship was not thick. Jill could easily puncture the hull while manoeuvring the scout ship into place. He trusted Jill but she had little space experience and even less aboard the ISM. He needed to take precautions.

“Evmon?”

“What! Sorry, sir.”

“I'm going back to seal the common room off. Jill will have to do a manual docking and on the rare chance there is a hull breach, we'll need to be prepared.”

“Damn! One more thing!”

Justice ignored Evmon's agitated state. It wasn't considered polite to point out that she was going through another bout of love sickness. Justice thought she looked kind of cute all pink and spotty. She was a really neat person, too. Whoever she loved was a lucky guy. “I'll be back in a minute.”

Justice made his way back to the common room and picked up some emergency bottles of water and several ration packs. Then he headed aft to the engineering section. He found Adam Wiseman and Aja Sur in the process of replacing microcircuits.

“How is it going?”

“About halfway, sir,” Wiseman responded.

“Bet you wish you'd taken that lab job?” Justice joked.

“No way, sir. I realize now that the DMC is where I belong. You guys need me. How is Jill doing?”

“Jill's got the scout ship out and will have to attempt a manual docking. I'm going to seal the hatches into the common room on the rare chance there is a hull breach. Check the atmosphere gauges before opening the hatch. I'm leaving two days of rations with you just in case you get cut off from the rest of the ship.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

Justice nodded and left them to their work. He made his way back down the hall and found some paper and a pencil. He wrote a short note and fitted it into a small port window.

Main power system blown out. We are on emergence life support systems. We are repairing the damage but it will take time. Dock manually and stand by. Capt. Moshapa.

He hesitated wondering if he should add a line about Anna and then decided he wouldn't. Jill had enough on her mind. Besides, he really didn't know how Anna was doing. He'd resisted the urge to enter the infirmary. Sue Lai and Toda didn't need any distractions. Part of being a good leader was trusting his crew to do their jobs. Still, fear gnawed at his gut. To lose the Commodore would be devastating. To lose her on his first command mission would be professionally disastrous.

He grabbed water and emergency rations for the bridge and stepped across the hatch. Sealing the hatch behind him, he found Evmon banging about under the navigation console and muttering to herself. Beating a retreat, Justice starting working on the reboot for the engineering console. He had to trust each member of his crew to get their jobs done. If one member failed they could be in deep trouble. Justice looked at his watch again. He knew that The Explorer would come to The Mariner's aid if they did not report in as scheduled. A star ship suddenly showing up could cause the dark matter creature to attack with even greater force. They were running out of time.

Out in space, Jill worked slowly and carefully on releasing each of the docking hooks. She had seen Justice's note on the port but didn't dare get close enough to read it until she had the scout ship properly docked.

Head aching with the stress and palms damp, she slowly used the robotic arms of her little craft to release each docking hook in turn. Once she had them open, she'd have to guide the scout ship in until the female airlock of The Mariner fitted onto the male airlock of the scout ship. Then the scout ship would secure the two airlock couplings together. Once this was done, she'd go back and snap each of the six docking hooks onto the scout ship's hull rings.

Jill released the last docking hook and then manoeuvred her craft around so that she could act like a tugboat, gently pushing the scout ship toward the hull of The Mariner. The smallest mistake now could be a disaster. There were no brakes in space. If the scout ship was not perfectly lined up, it could drifted into The Mariner, at the very least pushing it off its orbit, and at the worst causing considerable damage. Jill kept one finger on the button for the retro rockets that would reverse the craft if the manoeuvre needed to be aborted.

Slowly, she moved them towards The Mariner's docking port. The window of error was only ten centimetres. A few minutes later, she felt the bump and heard the grind as the two airlocks made contact. The female port was dish shaped and the probe of the male port had to hit that dish and slide down into place. Had she been close enough for the docking probe to slide into place? She waited.

“Scout Ship 782 to ISM Trigger. Airlock coupling in place and locked.”

“Roger that.” Jill smiled. Her first attempt and she'd got it right on the button. She wish Anna had been looking out the port to see that but she hadn't. Where was Anna? Jill's gut tied itself in knots again. Something was terribly wrong.

Jill took a deep breath and tried to settle her nerves. She had work to do yet and she couldn't afford to let her mind wander.

“ISM Trigger to Scout Ship 782. Stand by while I manually close the docking hooks.

“Standing by.”

Jill spun her small craft around over the top of the scout ship and turned around so that she could use the robotic arms again. Slowly, one by one, she clicked the locks into place around the docking rings on the scout ship. She was done. Free of the responsibility of the scout ship, Jill headed over to read the note that Justice had left. She read it carefully twice. No mention of Anna. Something was terribly wrong but nothing could be done but to carry on with the mission Anna had set.

“ISM Trigger to Scout Ship 782. Your ship is docked and locked. I've just been notified that The Mariner is undergoing repairs and you won't be able to board until the repairs are completed.”

“Roger. We can hang on a while longer.”

“I'm heading back to the Dark Angel to initiate repairs.”

“Roger. Be careful.”

Jill backed away from the hull of The Mariner then turned and headed back towards the wound in the Dark Angel. Again, she forced the worries about Anna out of her mind and focused on getting the mission completed successfully. That's what Anna wanted and Jill had no intention of failing her. Still, she covered the distance at high speed and only slowed down when she was close to the massive form of the Dark Angel.

Slowly, she entered the dark mass sensing more than seeing the thousands upon thousands of beings around her. She drifted in as far as she dared and then initiated a steady, low level beam of negative particles into the gap. For a few seconds nothing happened, then suddenly the space in front of her snapped shut almost trapping the ISM within it. Jill backed up and repeated the process, knowing this time to shoot several beams into the rent and then retreat quickly. Slowly, she healed the wound and edged her way back to the surface of the Dark Angel.

When the job was done, she backed away. The Dark Angel gave no sign as to whether the closed wound had been successfully healed. Jill backed away some more then stopped. Still nothing.

Jill was reluctant to turn her back on the massive form. As Adam had cautioned them, once this thing was healed it might turn vengeful. A machine is incapable of empathy or compassion. The massive form remained immobile. Jill turned her craft around feeling the shiver of fear down her back as she did so. Whether she faced the creature or not, her fate was in its hands. She sped up, heading back to The Mariner and Anna.

As she drew near, she could see The Mariner was still adrift but there were now cabin lights on.

Jill eased her craft around the hull of The Mariner and returned to the ISM docking stable, carefully manoeuvring Trigger into place. Now there was nothing to do but wait for The Mariner to power up fully again and rescue them. In the meantime, Jill turned off as many systems as she could to save power. After that, all she could do was wait in the darkness of space and worry.

“The Mariner to ISM Trigger. Mariner to Trigger.”

With relief, Jill turned on her com.

“Trigger here. Am I glad to hear from you guys. When can we get aboard?”

“ISM Trigger, This is Capt. Moshapa. Was your mission successful?”

“Scout Ship 782 is docked and the crew waiting to board The Mariner. ISM Trigger is in her stable waiting for The Mariner airlocks to be opened.”

“The Dark Angel?”

“The beam seemed to work. The wound has closed up. The Dark Angel has given no indication if it is healed.”

“Roger. I need you to set a course for quadrant grid 36.38 dash 24.67 dash 98.01 dash 62.46. Try to rendezvous with The Explorer and order her to keep her distance. The Mariner does not have long range communication yet.”

Jill's heart skipped a beat. “Mariner, the ISM might not have enough fuel or life support to reach the rendezvous point never mind a return trip from those coordinates.”

“Understood, ISM Trigger. Jill, if The Explorer doesn't receive our check in call in five hours time, she'll come to our aid. We don't want to do anything to upset the Dark Angel. You must intercept.”

For a second, Jill hesitated. Then, “Understood Mariner... Justice, give my love to Anna.”

“I'll do that, Jill. Good luck.”

Once again, Jill pulled from the safety of The Mariner's hull stable. Jill set the new coordinates that had been downloaded into her navigation computer then switched to automatic pilot. She felt the sudden force of acceleration push her back in her seat. Then the jets cut off and she drifted out into the cold, emptiness of space.

“What have you done? The Commodore is going to have you roasted on a spit! You just sent Jill to her death if her signature beam is not picked up by The Explorer.”

“Enough, Lt. Barron!”

“What's the chances of The Explorer coming across Jill? It would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack if Jill can make the rendezvous point.”

Justice gritted his teeth. He'd like to take his own stress out on Evmon but forced himself to remember that she wasn't well.

“Enough. I know the risks. I also know that Jill is determined and resourceful. At the moment, we are all at the mercy of the Dark Angel's mood. If a star ship comes charging in here, I don't think the Dark Angel is going to sit quietly and let it take the first shot. Jill is our only chance of getting word to them to keep their distance and buy us some time. It's not just the lives of the scout ship at stake now. It's the lives of those aboard The Mariner and The Explorer as well.”

“Yes, sir.”

Justice looked up from the engineering board he was working on. Evmon had gone from pink and purple back to her more normal skin tone. Fear for Jill had got her over her latest bout of love sickness.

“If Jill doesn't intercept The Explorer then we'll probably have to make a fight of it. But the DMC doesn't desert its own. We'll go looking for her. I need you to get Navigation up and running.”

“Yes, sir.”

Justice took a deep breath and then turned back to his own work. Evmon was only partly right. When Anna found out that he'd ordered Jill out into deep space in an ISM she was going to roast him alive whether Jill got back safely or not.

Toda and Sue sat side by side against the Infirmary bulkhead looking drained and worried. Anna lay across from them under a sterile operation tent. They had successfully removed the damaged unit and replaced it with the spare that Toda had smuggled aboard. To do this they had to stop all of Anna's functions. They had worked quickly and in less than a minute they'd revived her. Her vitals were well within acceptable ranges. The new device gave every indication of being compatible and functioning efficiently but Anna had not regained consciousness.

“How long has it been now?” Toda asked.

“Twenty three hours and thirty-six minutes.”

“What are we going to tell Jill?” Toda sobbed.

“That we did our best. The Commodore's stable. If we can get her back to Dorbel then maybe they would know what to do.”

“I think the Commodore would rather die here in space than for us to hand her over to Dorbel.”

“We'd be there to protect her. She's not alone now. The DMC will be there for her.”

Toda suddenly leaped to his feet and pulled Sue up so quickly that she almost hit the ceiling.

“Her foot moved!”

“Are you sure?”

“I think so.”

Sue was over at Anna's side immediately and Toda turned to the computer readouts. “There's more brain activity. Blood pressure is up slightly and so is her pulse.”

Sue slapped Anna's hand gently. “Com, can you hear me? Com?”

Anna opened an eye but gave no response.

“Com?”

Anna's arm moved. Then her eyes blinked. “How am I doing?”

Sue wiped tears from her eyes while Toda's sobbed loudly in the background. “I think you're going to be fine. You gave us an awful scare. You've been unconscious for hours.”

“My system would have to reboot. Didn't Toda tell you that?”

“Toda!”

“I didn't know!”

“What's happened? Where is Jill?”

Sue put a restraining hand on Anna who was trying to get up. “We don't know any details. We've been with you all this time. We're still on emergency power. The crew is still making repairs on The Mariner.”

Anna's eyes went to Toda. “Get down to engineering.”

“Yes, sir.”

“I need to talk to Justice.”

I can get him on the intercom but he'll have to keep his report brief. We don't have a lot of power.”

“Captain Moshapa? The Commodore is conscious and wanting a status report.”

“Anne? Shit, you scared the hell out of us. How are you doing?”

“I'm okay. Tired and sore. Toda and Sue did a good job. What is the status on Jill's mission?”

Justice looked at Evmon. She crossed her arms and stared back. The message was clear, you are on your own on this one .

Justice picked his words carefully. “Crewman Fairfax came through with flying colours. She got the scout ship out and manually docked it to The Mariner. Then she went back and closed up the wound in the Dark Angel. We are still in lock down mode waiting for all the repairs to be complete. I locked down the access hatches before Jill docked the scout ship as a precaution. We can't release the hatches now until we power up.”

“When will that be?”

“Another few hours. You try and rest.”

“Can we get a check in call to The Explorer?”

“I think we've managed that. Rest. Repairs are almost complete.”

“Thank you, Captain. You've done a fine job.”

Justice shut of the com as quickly as he could and wiped the sweat from his upper lip. Evmon snorted and went back to her work. It had been nearly twenty-four hours.

A few hours more passed before Justice and Evmon managed to get all the centres on the bridge reset and ready to reboot as soon as Wiseman and Sur could get engineering up and running. Sur reported that they would need two hours. Evmon and Justice now sat in the command seats downing some rations and water.

“You feeling better now?”

Evmon blushed. “Yes, sir. Sorry I was a little wild there for a while.”

“You got the job done regardless and that's what matters. I think...”

Evmon blinked. “I'm seeing an image of The Explorer heading this way. The Dark Angel is angry.”

The two of them scrambled to their feet. Out the periscope viewer, they could see the massive form of the Dark Angel rolling slowly towards them in a seething mass.

“Engineering this would be a really good time to get us the hell out of here,” Justice commanded.

No answer came. Justice turned to see small, dark, human-like forms flying around the bridge.

“Evmon, try to signal to them that we mean them no harm.”

“I think they are communicating with Anna. I have an image of her.”

“Cyborn to bridge. Justice, I thought you told me that you'd been in contact with The Explorer.”

“Not exactly, sir. We don't have any long range communication. I sent the ISM Trigger out to intercept The Explorer.”

“You sent Jill out into deep space in a damn ISM?”

“She was our only chance, Commodore. If The Explorer arrived here the Dark Angel was sure to attack and we'd be defenceless.”

Silence was the only response at first. Then Anna's emotional voice came softly over the speaker. “It doesn't look like she was successful. I'll try to reason with them.”

 

 

 

Jill shivered. She'd run out of fuel nearly an hour ago and was now adrift in space, hours away from the nearest help. She'd turned off, or down, as many systems she could to save power. With luck, she could survive for a while yet. With stiff fingers, she worked to calculate The Explorer's position and the course she would take. Following standard procedure, The Explorer would wait an extra two hours after their call in time and then proceed toward The Mariner at standard cruising speed unless she received a distress signal. That meant The Explorer would pass her position in approximately two hours. It was time to act. She would drain one of her fuel cells in the attempt, leaving her only six hours of life support left, but it also greatly increased the chance of The Explorer finding her. She had increased the distance and power of her distress beacon and now she turned it on, sending a repetitive SOS with The Mariner's call signals from her position. Then she settled back and waited. She used the time to remember every moment spent with Anna. If she was not successful on this mission, she wanted Anna to be her last thought.

A few hours later, Jill checked her watch again by the dim glow of instrument panel. She had two hours left of life support. By now The Explorer should have passed her. Her mission had failed. What would the Dark Angel do to the others? Having been inside the creature, Jill had a pretty good idea of its power. It might have human components but it was essentially a machine and would act without mercy if threatened.

Jill looked at her watch again. The dial seemed blurry. She didn't feel cold anymore, just very, very tired. A sudden sway in her craft brought her to full awareness. Several nautical miles in front of her she saw The Explorer.

“Explorer to ISM Trigger.”

“Explorer, this is Crewman Fairfax. Do not proceed forward. I repeat do not go to The Mariner's rescue. Hold your position until further notice.”

“Understood, ISM Trigger. Suggest you come aboard for a debriefing.”

“Can't do, Explorer. I'm without propulsion. I need assistance. I'm almost out of life support.”

“Stand by, ISM Trigger. We're on our way.”

 

 

 

Anna tried to calm her riotous emotions. The safety of her crew had to come first. “Dark Angel, we mean you no harm. We tried to stop The Explorer. When she arrives we will not allow her to hurt you.”

“We have no further use for you. Make repairs and leave. Do not return.”

The figures around her now disappeared.

“Bridge, are you okay?”

“Yes, sir. The creatures have gone.”

“Engineering?”

“We took a jolt or two from those creatures, but I think we're okay. Sur tells me that engineering is now up and ready. Engines are online. Those creatures must have finished the work.”

Anna closed her eyes, mentally regrouping. “They've let us go for some reason. Captain Moshapa, get us out of here before that thing changes it mind.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

Sue came over and bent over Anna's bed. “She'll have made it. Don't worry.”

Anna nodded but said nothing.

 

 

 

Two astronauts from aboard The Explorer did an EVA to rescue Jill. They guided her ISM into a docking bay and tied it down. From the bridge, they starting closing the bay doors before the craft was locked in place because they knew Jill was running out of life support. With less than a half hour of power left, Jill opened the hatch and was pulled from the ISM by willing hands. Exhausted, cold and light-headed, Jill was placed on a stretcher and taken to The Explorer's medical centre.

Captain Carlos Garcia was waiting when they brought her in.

“How are you doing?”

“I'll be okay. Thanks for the timely rescue.”

“Your distress call was loud and clear. Please don't tell me you are all that is left of The Mariner crew.”

“They were all okay when I left. We'd rescued the scout ship and crew and had them docked to The Mariner but we were hit by a power surge from the Dark Angel that blew the ship's circuitry and left us adrift. That's why we couldn't contact you.”

“So why can't we come and offer assistance?”

“Because that dark mass is alive. We don't want it threatened by a star ship showing up. It's not very friendly. It's a cybernetic creature that uses organic components. The planet dwellers live in sort of a symbiotic relationship with the dark matter. They call it the Dark Angel. The planet dwellers are created by the Dark Angel and when they are close to death they are harvested and become part of the Dark Angel mass. It is very powerful. It's made up of billions of individual parts all working together as one. It has no space ship or shell. It functions more like a massive school of fish.”

Captain Garcia stepped back while the medics got Jill comfortable. He needed to think. The Mariner was in trouble. She was adrift beside a massive and potentially deadly life form of about which they knew very little. Even now they could be under attack and needing The Explorer's assistance. On the other hand, The Mariner had sent Jill, at great risk, to warn him to keep his distance. He'd wait but not for long.

“You rest now. We'll stand ready here for twenty-four hours and then reevaluate the situation.”

“I'm all right. I just need to warm up a bit and have a nap. Captain?”

“Yes, Crewman?”

“If you hear anything will you let me know? My orders came from Captain Moshapa. I'm afraid that Commodore Cyborn might have been hurt when The Mariner was hit by the power surge.”

Carlos reached out and patted Jill's hand. “You'll know as soon as I get word. I promise.”

 

 

Aftermath

 

Word never came. Instead, four hours later, The Explorer picked up The Mariner with the scout ship docked to her side on their periscope screen.

“Mariner to The Explorer.”

“We read you, Mariner. Good to see you all back.”

“Good to be back. Requesting permission to dock.”

“Granted. Proceed to Cargo Bay B. Do you have any injured? We can have a medical team standing by.”

“Negative, Explorer. Commodore Cyborn did receive an injury but is recovering. Have you heard from Crewman Fairfax?”

“We have Crewman Fairfax safely aboard.”

“Roger that, Explorer. We are relieved to hear that.”

Smiling, Carlos wasted no time getting down to sick bay to let Jill know.

 

 

 

Jill and Carlos were waiting when the hatch of The Mariner opened and Captain Moshapa climbed out. Behind him came the crew of the scout ship and The Mariner. They climbed down the ladder that had been moved forward and walked over to Carlos and Jill, who came to attention and saluted. Justice returned the salute and then protocol set aside, Jill stepped forward to hug each of her crew mates while Carlos shook the hands of the scout ship crew and welcomed them to The Explorer. Then he turned back to Justice who was getting a hug from Jill.

“Welcome back, Captain. I understand the mission has gone well.”

“It certainly has been interesting, that's for sure. Crewman Fairfax, well done. The Mariner owes you a debt. Commodore Cyborn wishes you to see her immediately for a debriefing. You'll find her in the infirmary.”

“Yes, sir.” With relief, Jill smiled again at her crew mates, and then climbed aboard The Mariner. The vessel smelled particularly bad after it had been on limited power for so long with extra crew aboard. Jill hopped down onto the metal floor, her tread sounding hollow in the now deserted craft.

“Anna?”

She found Anna sitting on a cot looking pale and tired. At the sight of Jill, however, she stood and smiled broadly.

“Jill, I'm so glad to see you. Are you okay? I'm going to kill Justice.”

They were in each other's arms in two steps. “Are you okay?”

Anna nodded. “Thanks to Toda and Sue, I'll be fine. I've got a pretty amazing crew.”

“Justice did the right thing. Don't pick on him. I was out there and somehow a message had to be got to The Explorer.”

“You could have so easily missed your target and been lost in space.”

Jill stiffened. “Justice trusted my abilities to get the job done.”

Anna looked down at Jill. “I trust your abilities, too. It just scared the hell out of me.”

Jill snuggled close. “I was scared, too. I knew you were injured by that power surge and I had no idea how bad. Justice did everything to keep that from me.”

Anna chuckled. “Yeah, he managed to keep me in the dark about your mission for as long as he could.”

“Let's go to our quarters. I think we have some catching up to do.”

 

 

 

The trip back to Gagarin Star Base was relaxed but busy. After a week of R&R, the crew was assigned to repairs, training sessions, and research. Each crew member's data on the Dark Angel had to be verified and coordinated into a major science report. This involved numerous crew meetings to analyze and discuss findings and to help Lt. Wiseman coordinate all the information. Anna and Carlos spent a good deal of their time training the two crews together. As Carlos put it, the DMC was going to go from being eight misfits in a rusty old probe to an elite division 168 strong, with a small fleet of ships. Carlos also had to spend time debriefing the scout ship and making sure they were returned to their mother ship healthy and prepared for duty.

Despite the busy day shifts, Anna and Jill managed to find plenty of time just to be together. Anna delighted in this time. Jill seemed to as well but Anna knew she was worried. Their relationship could end their careers and although Anna had told Jill she didn't care, Jill felt different. Jill had also brought up in their conversation the inequality of their positions. Anna was a well educated and a successful senior officer. Jill was a recruit out of the justice system with only part of a engineering degree. Jill felt that she needed to prove herself in order to be an equal partner.

Anna disagreed. “I'm proud of you. You have nothing to prove to me.”

“I know, love, but I have a lot to prove to myself. I'm just not ready to make a commitment that would result in you having to sacrifice your career.”

 

 

 

Weeks later, Anna stood in her dress uniform flanked by Justice and Carlos. Behind them 167 members of the DMC stood at attention wearing the dark navy blue of their division. In front of them, Crewman Jill Fairfax received the medal of valour from Admiral Ito while the senior officers of Gagarin Star Base looked on. Anna couldn't have felt prouder and she told Jill so as they stood later at the reception.

“Commodore Cyborn, a word with you.”

Anna turned to see Vice-Admiral Grover. “Yes, sir.”

“Alone.”

Jill retreated quickly leaving Anna and Grover to talk.

“My congratulations, Cyborn. You sure have a way of pulling the rabbit out of the hat.”

“I'm proud of the DMC, sir. They are a fine division.”

Grover nodded. “I have to hand it to you, Cyborn, not many could have a division and a fleet in less than a year. Of course, you've got friends in high places to protect you.” Grover's gaze travelled to Toda, towering head and shoulders over everyone else in the room, standing in a group talking.

“Yes, sir. The Giganteans have been very supportive, as has Admiral Ito.”

“You know, Cyborn, I've heard some pretty disturbing rumours about you and a crewman.”

“Really, sir?”

“Yes. Overlooking the major breach of military rules about officers mixing with crewmen, I'm sure a lot of people would have trouble with the idea of a human needing the services of a cyborg.”

Anna barely controlled herself. She ground her teeth and said nothing.

I haven't got any evidence yet but I will and then you'll be out of here so fast your head will spin.”

“Anything else, sir?”

“No. Dismissed.”

Anna nodded and walked away. She wasn't afraid of Grover's threat. She knew this would eventually happen once she had committed herself to a relationship with Jill. Secrets like this were impossible to keep for long in the ISC. She was furious though at Grover's remark about Jill needing a cyborg. It was insulting to her and to Jill. Clutching her fists, she promised herself that someday she'd hit Grover so hard his eyeballs would pop out.

Anna calmed herself and joined the crowd of DMC crew surrounding Jill.

“Everything okay?” Jill asked.

“Fine. You know Grover, he had to get a few digs in.”

Toda came to stand beside Jill. “Everybody, please. Everybody. A salute to Crewman Jill Fairfax who has received the first medal of valour of many to follow in the DMC.” Toda started to beat his fist against his chest. “Fairfax! Fairfax! Fairfax!” Everyone joined in until the room shook with the proud voices of the Dark Matter Corps.

 

 

Dark Matter at the Edge of Time: Mission 3

Bears with Sore Paws

 

Commodore Anna Cyborn had been as grumpy as a bear with a sore paw. Captain Justice Moshapa had just about had enough. He was a reasonable man. Everyone had their down days but Anna had been a misery to be with for well over six months now and something had to be done. The reason for Anna's mood, of course, was obvious. Jill Fairfax had been away for over six months. It was understood aboard The Mariner that Anna and Jill were an item. They thought they were being discreet but anyone with a pair of eyes could see that fireworks went off every time they were together. Justice contacted Anna and asked her to meet him at the Vostok Bar on Star Base Gagarin.

By the time Anna arrived, Justice had already ordered drinks and was munching on bio-generated peanuts. Justice stood when Anna came over.

“Good evening, Commodore.”

Anna flopped down in a chair opposite Justice. “Shit. When you address me like that, I know to expect trouble. What is it now?”

“You.”

“Me?”

“You're so moody and quick tempered, the crew thinks you should be checked for rabies.”

“What's rabies?”

“It's what mad dogs and love sick Commodores get apparently.”

Anna blushed deeply. “I'm not that bad.”

“Yes, you are.”

“I miss her.”

“So do we all. You are driving us nuts.”

Anna fiddled with her glass. “It's not just Jill being on Gigantean taking engineering courses, it's the inactivity. I know we brought back a wealth of information on the Dark Angel, but I'm sick to death of debriefings, report writing and medical reviews. I....I don't do well in labs.”

Justice nodded. “I've wondered too why we've been sitting here on our asses all this time as well. Do you think Vice- Admiral Grover is freezing us out of the action?”

“I don't think so. Our orders come from higher up the chain of command now, thanks to the Giganteans. They have supported us one hundred percent because Toda is part of the crew and the DMC. But the longer we stay here, the more chance of Grover finding some way of sticking it to me. ”

“He's a bigot but he's not a fool. ”

“Then why are we sitting here?”

“I don't know, Anna. I really don't.”

They nursed their drinks in silence for a while. Anna thought over what Justice had said about her mood. Anna knew Justice was honest and open both in his praise and criticism and she respected his views.

“I'll try to be more patient and supportive.”

“We'd appreciate that. You know you have our support. I have to admit we're all feeling this inactivity. If they weren't going to reassign us they could've at least give us some shore leave.”

Anna nodded and looked at her glass moodily. “I don't understand why Jill went to Gigantean. I mean, I want her to get her degree, if that's what she wants, but she didn't have to go to Gigantean to do that.”

“Being invited to study on Gigantean is a great honour not offered to many. It is supposed to be a paradise for those interested in engineering.”

“Yes. Justice, do you think she'll come back?”

“It's a planet of giants. I think little Jill must feel very out of place there no matter what her talents in engineering.”

“She tells me she has issues that she needs to work out. Shouldn't she be working them out with my help?”

Justice shook his head. “I don't feel I understand women that well. Maybe you should talk to Evmon or Sue.”

“I guess.”

“Aja heard that The Orion docked here this afternoon.”

Anna sat up straight and alert. “Admiral Ito's flag ship? Justice, maybe we'll get an assignment soon.”

“I hope so, but it would be difficult. Our mother ship, The Explorer, is being refitted on Gigantean. Wiseman is on Space Port Andromeda doing research. You know when he gets with researchers he starts questioning whether he should stay aboard The Mariner. Then Jill is on Gigantean and you still haven't been given medical clearance.”

“There is nothing wrong with me. Grover is just trying to prove I'm unfit for duty because I'm an unreliable machine. The medical department assure me that eventually, he'll have to sign my clearance papers as they can find no reason why he shouldn't.”

“We'll still be short crew.”

“We'll borrow a few crewman from The Explorer that are still stationed here. I would prefer to have Carlos Garcia's Explorer at our back but any Galaxy class ship could get us where we need to go.”

Anna tried to sound indifferent. But the look on Justice's face said it all. The crew didn't want to have to put up with her bad moods if Jill wasn't aboard. If Ito was here, though, that meant they'd be heading out on a new mission soon.

“I'll be more patient.”

Justice just laughed.

 

 

 

At 1000 hours, Anna was ordered to report to Vice-Admiral Bart Grover's office. Anna dashed to get into her dress uniform and head over to the Administration wing of Star Port Gagarin. There were no delays this time. She was led immediately into Vice-Admiral Grover's office. Grover wasn't there. Standing behind his desk was Admiral of the Fleet, Hideaki Ito.

Anna came to attention and saluted.

Ito did not return the salute. Instead, he turned his back and paced across the room before coming back to face Anna who had remained at attention.

“If I could, I'd court martial you right here and now. Shit, Cyborn. You graduated top of your class, you've had a distinguished service record and have had several outstanding missions under your command. You are the youngest Commodore the ISC has ever had and what do you do? You have it off with some crewman under your command! It's a bloody shame, they outlawed the cat o'nine tails a thousand years ago. Sit.”

Anne sat. Sweat slithered down her back and her guts had formed an icy ball.

“The ISC needs the Giganteans on our side. We need their technology and we need their political clout. For some reason beyond my understanding, they fancy you. That, Commodore is the only thing keeping you in the ISC instead of commanding a garbage scow headed out of this galaxy.”

“I'm prepared to resign my commission, sir.”

“Shut up, Cyborn. I'll do the talking.”

“Yes, sir.”

“You are going on a mission. Try not to mess it up. Do you know what sort of advanced life form lived on planet Earth a billion years ago, Cyborn?”

“Not much, sir. Maybe worms.”

Ito nodded. “Yes. Worms. The farther we go out into space the earlier the universe formed. At the very edge of our universe life might have formed a billion years before us. They could very well be a billion years more advanced than we are and when they look back at us we still must look no more advanced than worms.”

Ito pushed a file towards Anna. “There is a wormhole within a dark mass in sector 1284. All indications are that it is a link to the outermost reaches of the universe. We believe it will allow us to have a brief look at those on the edge of time. Just a brief look, Cyborn. We don't want to do anything to antagonize a species that could be that advanced to ours. Just look over the cosmic fence and then get the hell out of there. Understood?”

“Yes, sir.”

“I don't need to tell you that being hurled across space/time at the best of times is dangerous. To be thrown across the entire universe could be deadly. You'll take a hand-picked skeleton crew.”

“Yes, sir.”

“The Explorer has been refitted and is on its way back here as we speak. Your crew has all been notified to report for duty. You'll be shipping out in six weeks.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Crewman Fairfax has resigned from the ISC. She has married into a Gigantean house. She will be aboard The Mariner as a civilian contracted to the DMC. Get out of here, Cyborn.”

Anna stumbled to her feet, saluted and grabbing the file folder, she swayed unsteadily to the door. She felt like she had been shot. Jill? Resigned from the ISC and married? Tears pricked at Anna's eyes.

 

 

 

Anna didn't remember how she got back to The Mariner. She half climbed and half fell down the conning tower ladder. Ignoring everyone, she went straight to her cabin. Sitting on the edge of her bunk she stared at the empty bunk across from her. She had thought they were in love. But apparently it had just been a conquest for Jill. Once she had Anna, she'd backed off and found someone else. Anna's body heaved in huge sobs and she let the tears roll down her face. She'd lived through a lot of pain in her life, but nothing like this.

Sometime later, Chief Petty Officer, Sue Lai, the ship's paramedic, slipped in to her cabin.

“Com? Forgive me for coming in without permission, but the crew is worried. They could tell you were upset.”

“Jill.”

“Jill? Is she okay?”

“She's left the ISC and married on Gigantean, Chief.”

“What!”

“Admiral Ito just told me. He burned my ass about having a relationship with a crewman and then told me about Jill.”

“Shit.” Sue came over and put her arm around Anna. For a while, they just sat there, Anna grateful for the quiet and loyal support.

“We need Evmon.”

“Why?”

“Because she understands alien cultures a lot better than I do.” Sue got up and slipped from the cabin. In a few minutes, she was back with Sub-Lieutenant Barron Evmon, the Vultarian communication officer on board The Mariner.

The two women sat on each side of Anna and held her hands.

“Tell me exactly what Admiral Ito said,” Evmon requested.

“He said Crewman Fairfax has resigned from the ISC. She has married into a Gigantean house. She will be aboard The Mariner as a civilian contracted to the DMC.”

“She married into a Gigantean house. That might not be as bad as it seems, Com. On Gigantean, you can be sort of adopted into a clan by a clan marriage. It doesn't mean you are married to any individual necessarily, just to the clan. This might be Toda's way of protecting Jill. And by the sounds of it Jill will still be shipping out with us. She'll just be a civilian under contract.”

Anna grabbed at this small hope. “Do you think so?”

“I can't say for sure, but that's what it sounds like to me. I know Jill would protect you with everything she has, and if that meant quitting the ISC to do so, she would. What do you think, Sue?”

“This news is a real shock, but I'm with Evmon on this. Jill, wouldn't walk out on you without talking to you. She just wouldn't. There has to be more to the story.”

“I...I just couldn't think. It was like a blow to all my senses.”

“Com, you're in love. Believe me I know how hard that can be!” Evmon gave an embarrassed laugh. Vultarians suffered from love sickness that made them turn bright pink and get purple spots. They could be at this time moody and quick tempered. Evmon had suffered her first episodes of love sickness on their last mission.

“Is it that obvious?” Anna sniffed.

“Yes.” Both women said together.

“I'm making a fool of myself.”

“Love does that to everyone. No one is going to point fingers,” Sue stated. “Do you know when you'll see Jill again?”

Anna shook her head and got up. “It will be in this report, I imagine. I haven't looked at it. I was just too upset. I'd better do that. We have a mission. We'll need to get ready. Thanks, Ladies. I almost fell apart there.”

Evmon and Sue stood to take their leave.

“We're here for you. The DMC is more than a team, it's a family,” Sue stated, and the two women left.

Anna took a deep, ragged breath. She didn't know if Evmon's interpretation was right or not but she wanted to believe that Jill wouldn't deliberately hurt her. She'd have to hold her emotions together until she could talk to Jill. Then no matter what, they were going to have to establish some sort of a working relationship so that they could get this mission accomplished.

A few hours later, Anna met Justice in the infirmary that doubled on their small ship as a science lab and ready room.

“You okay?”

Anna felt herself blush. “I was pretty upset by the interview I had with Admiral Ito. He really laid into me and then told me that Jill had quit the service and married into a Gigantean house. I thought...I reacted before I thought things out.”

“It will be okay, Anna. Jill loves you.”

Anna nodded, but she didn't feel as confident as she was trying to pretend. She hadn't heard from Jill in several weeks and she was worried. After all they hadn't spent a lot of time together and even before she left, Jill had put up barriers to their developing relationship. Anna wanted to believe that everything was okay, but she just couldn't trust herself to do so.

Then there was Vice-Admiral Grover who probably fed information to Admiral Ito about her relationship with Jill. Up until now , she thought Ito would protect her from any moves by Grover to get rid of her. She wasn't sure that was the case anymore. Ito had made it pretty clear that he wasn't too happy that the Giganteans were using the DMC for their own agenda. The power politics of the ISC could end up exploding in both Jill's and her faces. Just one more unneeded stress on their relationship.

Anna passed the file to Justice. “There is a lot in here. We'll need Wiseman as soon as possible. He's been ordered to pick up a transport and be here in the next few days. When we're ready, we'll be heading to Sector 1284. That's not too far away. On The Explorer, we should be able to get there in a month or so. The research ship Beagle observed a vortex wormhole within a dark mass last year. Follow up research indicates that it ends near the edge of the universe. If so, it is a rare opportunity to see the very edge of existence. It is a vortex, not a tunnel, so all we can do is follow it to the bottom, have a quick look and hopefully get back out again. It will take some pretty precise calculations and research to make sure that if we get in there, we'll have enough power to get back out.”

“I thought vortexes were to be avoided at all costs. They're bottomless pits.”

Anna snorted. “Yeah. But we're the DMC. The scientists believe because this one doesn't seem to narrow too significantly that the centripedal forces will not be great enough to hold us in there. The bottom seems to flatten out like it has hit a force field.”

“Great, we're going into a space maelstrom and hoping that whatever stronger force lies in the bottom will spit us back out.”

“That about covers it. We're not going to rush in there. We'll send in some of Toda and Jill's Minnow probes and see if we can get them back out with some readings before we commit to this mission. We'll have to proceed with great caution. ISC feels that it is entirely possible that a civilization a billion years more advanced than ours might lie on the other side.”

Justice shook his head and smiled. “This mission is just full of surprises.”

“The Explorer has been refitted double time on Gigantean and should be back in operation in another four weeks. That will give us just two weeks to get the crews and The Mariner and The Explorer ready to ship out.”

“What about Jill and Toda?”

“They are to be aboard the Gigantean ship, Flarmorr. It will rendezvous with us on the way to section 1284.”

“The Gigantean flag ship? Toda travels in style.”

Anna shrugged. “He is a Prince Royal, so they tell me.”

 

Relationship Shift

 

Though the weeks went by quickly for the others, for Anna they had dragged. Now, nearly seven months after she had last seen Jill and six weeks since she'd heard anything from her, Anna was about to meet Jill again. The Explorer, twenty-two days into her mission had rendezvoused and docked with the Gigantean star ship Flarmorr. Anne stood alone at the air lock hatch. On the other side, Jill would be waiting in the access chamber.

The door hissed as the air pressure adjusted. Anna, standing in her dress uniform, squared her shoulders and steeled herself for their meeting.

The door slid open and Anna stepped through closing, the hatch behind her. Jill stood in front of her wearing an DMC officer's uniform. She wore no rank but over her chest pocket she wore her service ribbons and her medal of valour. Above these a brass tag read:

Dark Matter Corps

Jillian Toda Fairfax

Civilian Engineer

 

Anna felt anger - a defence against the wall of emotion building for weeks.

“What kind of damn getup is that? And what the hell does that mean?” Anna growled, pointing to Jill's name tag.

“Anna, I haven't got time to go into this now. Toda and the senior officers of this ship are waiting to meet you. You need to understand that on Gigantean, you are a legend. They see you as everything they want to be, part humanoid and part machine. The Giganteans have striven to reach such perfection for years but their natural immune systems simple will not allow their bodies to accept cybernetic implants.”

“I am NOT a machine.”

“I know, and Toda understands that, but the Giganteans don't. Anna, I have to take you through into the Flarmorr in a few minutes. No matter what they say and do, you will have to be diplomatic and not lose your temper. You will need to treat Toda not as a junior officer but as a powerful member of the royal clan of Gigantean. Anna, this is important to the ISC, the DMC and me.”

“So just what rank are you that you give the orders now?”

“Anna, for God's sakes!”

“Why haven't you answered my communications?”

“The hatch is opening. Please, Anna. I'll explain. I promise. Please cooperate.”

Anna stepped through with Jill behind her. The room beyond was huge and crowded with giant forms. Their soft melodic voices fell silent as Anna entered with Jill. Toda, waiting on the other side, snapped to attention and saluted and Anna did the same.

“Welcome aboard the Flarmorr, Commodore.”

“It's an honour and privilege, Prince Toda,” Anna responded.

“Commodore, might I introduce you to my clan father, Keleg Toda? Keleg Toda, this is Commodore Anna Cyborn of the Dorbel Laboratories.”

Anger boiled inside Anna. Then she felt Jill's hand touch her back for just a second. What had Jill warned her? No matter what they say and do, you will have to be diplomatic and not lose your temper. She hoped the ISC appreciated this.

“How do you do, sir?”

“My, look at you. Just look at you. You're perfect! The eyes. One would never know. Forgive me, I must touch you. Warm. Warm. You are indeed living and breathing!”

Anna stiffened.

It was Toda who gently removed Keleg's hand. “I'm sorry, Clan-Father. Humanoids from Earth do not like to be touched.”

“Ahhh, I see. Yet she is amazing. Such cybernetic perfection.”

“I'm clone-human. Only forty percent of my being has been replaced by cybernetic adaptations.”

“Forty percent, clan members! We have never achieved anything over two percent and then for only limited periods of time. Your systems are completely integrated?”

Anna felt the red of embarrassment creeping up her neck. She was not comfortable talking about her personal functions. Damn Toda and Jill anyway for putting her in a situation like this.

“Not completely, sir. My body needs two spinal cords. One runs the cybernetic impulses and one runs my remaining biological functions. They do, however, work in sync.”

“Fascinating. But I mustn't hoard you all to myself. There are many engineers and scientists here tonight who have come all this way to see you. Please, let me introduce you around.”

The next five hours and thirty-eight minutes was a living hell. Anna was touched, asked the most personal questions, and forced to recount the horror of her transformation. Ito had got even. He must have known what she would be facing when she docked with the Flarmorr and hadn't bothered to warn her. Emotionally drained and shaken, she finally stepped back through the airlock with Jill and Toda. With relief she watched the doors close on the Gigantean ship and its host of adoring engineers and scientists.

“I'm sorry, Commodore. My people might have seemed rude to you. We have a very different world view than yours.”

“I understand. The ISC is grateful for the support of the Gigantean nation. Naturally, I was quite prepared to answer questions and explain my functions.”

Toda seemed to visibly relax. “Thank you, Commodore, for being so understanding.”

Jill stood silently in the corner, looking pale and stressed. She had remained behind Anna throughout the evening and had said next to nothing the whole time.

There was a moment of awkward silence, then Anna spoke. “I would appreciate it if as little as possible was said aboard The Mariner or The Explorer about this social evening. I prefer among my own people to be viewed as completely human.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Toda, Lt. Wiseman is anxious to discuss some issues with you in regard to our present mission. Crewm... Miss Fairfax, I will need to see you in my Explorer ready room immediately.”

“Yes, Commodore.”

Anna strode off, trying her best to look strong and in control when she felt nothing of the sort. The last five hours had been a total violation of her privacy and sense of being. She hadn't realized the price of Gigantean support was going to be so high. Ito had basically handed her over to the Gigantean world as a prize. Anna was well aware Ito had a reputation of being fair but tough if crossed. Anna's relationship with Crewman Fairfax had crossed the line and Ito had hung her out to dry.

The Explorer was now a beautiful and practical design. Anna had been assigned her own quarters and small ready room aboard that allowed her a lot more room and privacy than she could enjoy on the tiny Mariner. The Gigantean engineers had informed Anna by next year she would have the first of her new Cyborn class ships for the DMC. Anna had mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, it would be good to have a real ship instead of the converted probe from which The Mariner had been constructed. On the other, Anna felt a loyalty to The Mariner that made it hard for her to imagine exchanging her for a new vessel.

Anna placed her hand on the hand print recognition panel and the door to her ready room slid open. She went and stood behind her desk and turned to face Jill for the first time since they had met in the airlock hours ago.

“Sit.”

“No.”

“That was an order.”

“I'm a civilian and your lover.”

“You're under my command no matter what your status. As for being my lover I haven't seen you in seven months or heard from you in six weeks.”

“Are you going to let me explain, or are you just going to judge?”

“I can't see how you can explain.”

“Then there is no point in me wasting my time standing here, Commodore. I'll be in engineering if you need me.” Jill turned on her heel and was gone before Anna could respond.

Anna sank into her chair and buried her face in her hands. That had gone all wrong.

Sometime later, she was interrupted from her gloomy thoughts by the short buzz and flash of a warning light signalling someone was at her ready room door.

Anna sighed, got to her feet and gave the verbal command that would cause her door to slide open.

“Come.”

It was Crewman Aja Sur. He came to attention at her desk and saluted. Anna returned the salute.

“Please be seated Aja.” Anna sat down and so did Aja.

“Your reason for being here?”

“Commodore, I heard that you'll be spending some time over the next few days aboard The Flarmorr.”

Anne tried not to grimace. “Yes.”

“One of the scientists aboard, so I've been told, is called Glee Axaa.”

Anna searched her memory banks. “Yes, I was introduced to him.”

“Glee Axaa's grandfather was paramount in the clean environment movement on Gigantean. That role has passed from father to son. Glee is a true environmentalist and has done some of the first research on protecting the environments the ISC explores. Commodore, I would love the opportunity to talk to him.”

“Why didn't you ask Toda or Jill?”

Sur blushed. “I did. They told me that I had to go through you.”

“I see. They were right to do so. I see no reason why you shouldn't get this opportunity as long as Glee Axaa agrees. I'll make a formal request on your behalf.”

“Thank you, Com.”

“Anything else?”

“No, Com. Well, yes, there is.”

“And that is?”

“Commodore, are you aware that there is some mystic significance to the dark mass in sector 1284?”

“Mystic significance? What do you mean?”

Sur squirmed uncomfortably in his seat. “There are those that believe that a life force emits from there.”

Anne frowned. “There is nothing in any of the science surveys that indicates any energy force being given off from the dark matter in 1284.”

“Nothing that measuring devices can pick up, Com. I'm talking about a force that is spiritual and is felt by individuals who are spiritually conscious of such things.”

“Are you telling me that dark matter 1284 is a holy site to some culture?”

“No, no not that. It's just that, maybe it's a myth, but many believe that the area is special.”

“You think our exploration might be met with protests?”

“Perhaps, but I am more concerned that we might go somewhere that we should not go.”

Anna kept silent. Religion, superstitions, myths, none of it made much sense to her. She only knew it was best to show respect rather than offending those that believed.

Sur tried again. “You said that I could be the environmental conscience of the DMC. I guess I want you to be aware that this area is sensitive and that perhaps the DMC should be considering whether we should recommend that Dark Matter 1284 be a no-go area for exploration.”

“I'm glad you made me aware of this, Aja. You do realize that we will have to gather data to base such a recommendation on?”

“Yes, Com.”

“In the meantime, I want you to gather any available information on the beliefs and myths associated with this area and be prepared to make a report to the crew. We will certainly keep your concerns and suggestions in mind when making any decisions.”

“Thank you, Com.”

“Dismissed.”

Anna sighed. So far this mission just kept getting more complicated. Anne liked science. She didn't like issues.

 

 

 

The next morning, after a poor night's sleep, she found Jill waiting for her by the airlock.

“Toda, has already boarded the Flarmorr, Commodore. We'll meet the high council for brunch. I need to warn you that they will find it fascinating that you can eat. Your talk on cybernetic functions is at 1300.”

“Very well.”

They stood in silence a few seconds, then Anna spoke.

“We got off on the wrong foot yesterday.”

“Yes. We were both very stressed. You from having to deal with the Giganteans and me because I feel very vulnerable with my new status.”

“We could talk later.”

“Yes. We'll see how the day goes.”

The air hatch hissed open and they entered, standing against opposite walls from each other. It was going to be a long day.

It was far more than a long day. It was a brutal day. When Anna lifted the first bite of food to her mouth, the large reception room went quiet and all the Giganteans stared at her while she chewed and swallowed. The food felt like a hard lump going down. It was only after Anna had taken several bites and a drink of her wine that the crowd eventually started to talk excitedly amongst themselves and to eat their own brunches. Even then, they continue to stare at Anna. It was pretty obvious that the talk at each table was about her.

Later, she discovered that the Giganteans had managed to get her spec sheets from Dorbel and wanted her to go through her transformation process with them. Anna obliged. She didn't have any choice but to be gracious, but inside she was very angry at what she saw as a violation of her privacy and indirect approval of what Dorbel had done to her.

Her talk on cybernetic functions went better. She was able to talk objectively about various components and their applications and usefulness without directly referring to herself. At the end of her speech, she improvised. She hadn't meant to, it just all poured out from her soul and she couldn't stop it.

She told them about the pain and fear that she had felt as a child. Her loneliness and rejection. She talked about what Dorbel had planned for her and how she had no say over her body. Then she talked about her rescue and the years it had taken to learn to be comfortable with human society. She talked about the bigotry she faced and how important the DMC was to her because they had become the family she never had. Lastly, she talked about the role Sue and Toda had played in saving her life on their last mission and the role Jill and Toda had played in developing equipment that proved vital to the success of several of their missions. She closed by emphasizing that cooperation between Giganteans and humans made the impossible a reality. At the end, she stumbled to her chair. Totally, drained. The audience stood and pounded their chests chanting, “Cyborn! Cyborn!”

Anna managed to stagger to her feet and acknowledge the cheer. Her head ached and she felt close to tears. Her concept of self felt beat up and abused. All she wanted to do was escape.

“Come on Anna, we can get out of here now.”

Anna heard the words but still stood there in shock. Jill, took her elbow and led her off the stage. Anna managed to get through the formal thank yous and goodbyes backstage and then Jill led her down the halls to the airlock.

“You okay?”

“No.”

“Hang on. I'll have you back in your quarters on The Explorer in no time.”

Anna nodded.

Once through the airlock, Jill stayed at Anna's side as they made their way back to Anna's quarters.

Anna put her hand on the ID plate and entered once the door slid open. She made her way over to drop her notes on the dining room table and stood there for a few seconds letting the emotions she had so carefully repressed boil to the surface. With a shift movement, she heaved a glass dish across the room and it shattered against the wall.

“I am NOT a machine!”

“No, you're not.”

“Those Giganteans are nuts.”

“No, they just have a very different world view than ours. They honour machinery and would like to be in harmony with it like they see you are. They have no history of fearing machines like we do on Earth.”

Tears started to roll down Anna's face. She sank to her knees and cried. Jill was there beside her, holding her, and comforting her.

“Every time I think I've worked pass this and I've finally been accepted as a human being, something like this happens. That was so - so degrading.”

“By our world view, yes, but the Giganteans meant to honour you. They don't see you as a machine. They see you as an enhanced human being. Better than any others.”

“Is that why you were attracted to me because you love machinery?”

“No, silly. I fell in love with you because you are an amazing human being. Kind, sensitive, intelligent and brave. Not to mention very hot,” Jill added with a smile.

“I missed you. Why didn't you write?”

“It's a long story. Let's get out of these uncomfortable dress uniforms and into something more comfortable. Then we'll have a drink and I'll explain why. Okay?”

“Are we still lovers?”

“Lovers, yes, and now I hope we can become more than that.” Jill kissed Anna and helped her to her feet. “You go have a shower and change. I'll do the same and meet you back here in less than an hour. Okay?”

Anna nodded. “Okay.”

Anna stood under a hot shower going well over her allotted time and knowing it would mean cutting out a few showers over the next week. She just needed to wash away the last two days. Jill was right, of course, the Giganteans meant to honour her. Maybe now they had a better idea of the price she had paid as a child to be an enhanced human being. Somehow it had felt good to let it all out and talk openly for the first time about those terrible years. Maybe in the end, however painful the experience, the Giganteans had helped her break through an emotional wall.

Standing under the blowdryers, Anna felt totally drained and exhausted. She slipped into her duty jumpsuit and flopped on the bed. She thought she'd just close her eyes and relax for a bit until Jill came.

 

Ganobees

 

Anna woke with a start. A shudder ran through The Explorer. Then the air vents closed and hatches sealed. Something was terrible wrong. She looked at her watch. Shit! She'd been to sleep for seven hours. Jill must have come and gone. Anna rolled from bed and made for the door, stopping only long enough to grab a weapon and a breathing apparatus should they be needed. She checked the air pressure and quality in the hall outside her quarters and found it well within normal range. Then, she opened her door and stepped out into the hall closing the door behind her. Quickly, she made her way to the bridge, checking the air pressure at each hatch before opening it and sealing the hatch after her as she went. It took her nearly half an hour to make her way The Explorer's command deck.

Carlos Garcia was in his command seat flanked by his Number One, Jane Hamilton, on his right and Justice Moshapa on his left. Jane went to stand but Anna waved her down and took the seat beside Justice.

“Status Report.”

It was Carlos who responded. “There's been a small explosion in Engineering. Minor injuries reported and no serious damage to the area. The area is in lockdown while a sweep is being completed for any dangerous leakage. We've lost lateral navigation controls and have shut down propulsion.”

“Cause?”

“Unknown at this time, Com.”

Anna wanted to go immediately down to Engineering. It was her way, but this was Carlos's ship and she wasn't about to undermined his authority. She wanted also to ask if Jill was in Engineering, but again she remained silent. She did her best to maintain a calm, neutral expression and waited with the others.

The intercom crackled. “Captain Garcia, the sweep has shown no danger of leakage and our primary survey indicates that the damage is minor and easily repaired. We are in the process now of flushing the smoke and particles from the area. Request permission to lift shutdown procedure and allow medical personnel to enter. ”

“Granted.” Carlos turned to Anna. “Commodore, request permission to send Jill Fairfax and Lt. Toda to the area to run an investigation with our chief Engineer, Lt. Alrik Erickson?”

“Granted.”

Carlos turned to his communication panel. “Lt. Toda, Ms. Fairfax, report to Explorer's Engineering immediately. Erickson, I'm sending Toda and Fairfax down to help you with a damage report.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

Anna breathed a quiet sigh of relief. At least she knew Jill was okay.

“I'm going down to Engineering to see for myself,” Carlos stated. “You are in command of the bridge, Number One.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

“Commodore Cyborn, would you care to join me?”

“I would.”

Anna and Carlos left the bridge together and made their way down to Engineering.

“I'm at a loss to think of a cause for such an explosion in the navigational systems.” Carlos commented, once they were out of ear shot of the bridge crew. “Can you think of any, Anna?”

“It's unusual. A fire would be possible from a short, but an explosion, even a small one, seems unlikely. That said, all ships have their unique situations. Ganobees, I've heard it called.”

“Little mischievous spirits that cause things to go wrong,” Carlos laughed. “You, Anna, are the last person I would have suspected of believing in such things.”

“In Ganobees, no, but in ships having unique issues, sure. Some call it structural variation syndrome, others Ganobees. It amounts to the same thing. Trouble and headaches for the crew.”

“I hear you. Let's hope this is the last of these issues.”

“The Explorer was redesigned and refitted in a hurry for this mission. Even Giganteans can make mistakes. I think, Carlos, you'll be lucky if this is the only issue you have.”

“Wonderful. I can tell I'm really going to enjoy this mission.”

Afaint pall of smoke in the air indicated they were close to Engineering.

Carlos stepped aside to let Anna go first. It was a courtesy to her rank, but Anna showed her respect for Carlos by letting him question his crew.

“Status report.”

“We're almost cleaned up here, sir,” responded Lt. Erickson. “Lt. Toda and Jill are just doing the last of the repairs on the Nav systems. We should be up and running in a few minutes.”

“Good. Any idea of the cause of this mishap?”

“No sir. We're speculating it was a friction spark or heat that caused the explosion but why that should happen is not clear.”

“Make it clear, Lt. Erickson. I need a ship I can trust.”

“Yes, sir!”

Anna looked over at Jill. She was dirty and sweaty like the others. She didn't look up from her work.

Carlos turned to leave waiting for Anna to go first. She did so reluctantly.

“Things rocky with you and Jill?”

“How did you know?”

“Word gets around. I heard Jill stormed out of your quarters the other day and last night you wouldn't let her into your quarters.”

“Shit. I fell asleep. I didn't hear her.”

“Oh oh, Commodore, you are in level three trouble.”

“What's that?”

“Flowers, wine, an expensive dinner, sincere apology and no sex until she forgives you.”

“Shit. I didn't know there were levels. What are the others?”

“It's a guy thing. Level one is a cute smile with a “I messed up, I'm sorry.

Level two is a sincere apology delivered with chocolates or roses.

Level four, is I still love you. Can we try seeing a counsellor? I want to change.

Level five, is when you come home and the furniture is gone, your bank account is empty and your kids call you daddy asshole.”

“Shit.”

“Yup, that about sums it up.”

Anna left Carlos to handle the fall-out issues from the explosion in Engineering. She had greater problems with which to deal. Heading back to her quarters, she sent a message to Jill:

Meet me in my ready room at 1800. Commodore Cyborn.

A little blunt and cold but it guaranteed that Jill would come. She might be a civilian now but she was aboard a ISC vessel and was under the authority of the senior officer who was Anna.

She ordered flowers for the ready room from hydroponics, selected wine from the Officer's mess, and picked a selection of music she knew Jill liked. She lowered the lighting and placed the ice bucket on the small table that sat between two chairs and commanded a small view out a port window of space.

Then she entered her own quarters and set up her dining table for two. She selected a meal that set her back considerably in food credits. They'd start with a pheasant pate on fresh french bread, then a salad of greens, old cheese, raisins and walnuts. A tiny cone of lemon sherbert would follow to clean the pallet. The main course would be Beef Stroganoff and for dessert, fresh strawberries and cream.

Anna showered and changed into to a clean jumpsuit. She was ready. There was no way she wanted this Level Three situation to escalate into a Level Four. Anna looked at her watch. Three quarters of an hour to go. She spent that time pacing.

At exactly 1800 the warning light let her know someone was at the ready room door. Anna straightened her shoulders, swallowed back her nerves and gave the open command.

Jill stepped in looking stressed and worried. She too had showered and changed, but she was wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt. The door closed behind her.

“I messed up. I'm sorry. I took a shower, dressed, and lay down on my bed to wait for you and fell asleep. I didn't wake up until the explosion this morning. Can you forgive me?”

Jill relaxed and laughed. “I thought you'd had a change of heart about working things out. I cried myself to sleep.”

“Oh, Jill. Sweetheart.” Anna wrapped, Jill in her arms and held her close. “My heart belongs to you. Always.”

Jill reached up and kissed Anna's throat. Anna smiled and captured Jill's lips with her own. It was a gentle kiss. An apology given and accepted.

Anna stepped back. “Flowers,” she stated pointing them out where they sat in a vase on her desk. “I couldn't get roses. These are called red tulips. And wine. I have wine and I've gotten us a special dinner.”

Jill looked at Anna. “Flowers, wine, dinner. From where did these ideas come?”

“Carlos explained the levels to me and how I'd really messed up and so this was a level three situation.”

Anna poured two glasses of wine and held a chair for Jill to sit down.

“Level three?”

“You know. Flowers, wine, an expensive dinner, sincere apology and no sex until you forgive me.”

Jill laughed. “I love Carlos!”

Anna, who was about to take a sip of her wine, spilt it down her front instead. “What!”

“Not in that way, silly,” Jill choked out, as she wiped tears of laughter away from her eyes. “He's just so funny.”

“Funny?”

“Anna, he was pulling your leg. There are no levels.” Jill got up and came and sat on Anna's lap, kissing her softly. “But the flowers, wine and dinner are a lovely gesture. How about we take the flowers and wine into your quarters, curl up on the couch and talk this whole things through.”

Anna hugged Jill close. “I'd like that. No levels?”

“No levels.”

“I'm going to kill him.”

Jill took the wine bottle in one hand and pulled Anna to her feet with the other. “No, you're not. He gave you good advice even if he did set you up. Grab the flowers and glasses, Commodore, and lead the way.”

They curled up on the couch, Jill snuggled between Anna's legs, her head resting on Anna chest. For a few minutes, they sipped their wine and listened to the music. Then Jill filled Anna in on what had happened.

“I know you weren't too happy with me taking off to study on Gigantean but it was such a rare opportunity I didn't think I could pass it up.”

“No, I wasn't happy but I felt it was the right thing to do. You wanted to finish your degree. It was important to you so it was important to me. It was a wonderful opportunity.”

Jill bent her head to look up at Anna. “Thanks. Everything was going well. It was hard work but I was holding my own. My biggest problem was not getting stepped on. Most Giganteans are not in the habit of looking down for humans. Then Toda came to me a few months ago. His cousin had been at some reception and had over heard Grover giving Ito an earful about you and me. Ito said that he was heading to Gigantean on a ISC matter the next month and he'd find out if there was any truth to the rumours that Grover had heard and if there was he'd have you out of the service.”

Anna hugged Jill. “If that was the cost, I was willing to pay it.”

“Well, I wasn't. I was in a state. Poor Toda. I think I gave him heart palpitations. It was his mother, Princess Mara Toda, who came up with the solution. Wait until you meet her, Anna. She's a very impressive woman. Seven feet tall and it's all muscle. She was an architect and a commoner before marrying Prince Barna Toda, the heir to the Toda clan. She is very much the power behind the throne, believe me! She recognized me as an adopted daughter of the clan of Toda, then and there, and then ordered me to quit the ISC before going on a retreat to be trained in the ways of the clan.”

“She ordered you?”

“Things are different on Gigantean. So I had no time to contact you. I was carted off to be trained as soon as I had sent my resignation to the ISC. She told me not to worry, that by the time I got back, she'd have made everything right.”

“Sounds like her power is hardly hidden behind the throne.”

“Hardly. I got back to discover I was a civilian attached under contract to the ISC. The uniform, by the way was her idea. She said, that from now on I had to act like my civilian status was equal to an officer's rank in the ISC. Do you really mind?”

“You've proven yourself as far as I'm concerned.”

Jill laughed. “You could be biased. Anyway, I have no idea what she said to Ito but she really must have pulled his strings to get me assigned back to The Mariner with you.”

Anna grimaced. “I had a conversation with Ito before I left on this mission. Well, not really a conversation. It was more of a lecture. He gave me a real dressing down and told me if he had his way I'd be commanding a garbage scow out of the universe.”

“Oh Anna, I'm so sorry.”

“He was right. I had no business getting involved with a crewman. I just didn't care. I love you. He told me that you'd quit the ISC and married into a Gigantean clan. I almost fell apart. Sue and Evmon sat me down and explained that it didn't necessarily mean you'd married an individual, that you probably just joined the clan. But when I didn't hear from you...well, I got myself in quite a knot.”

“I'm so sorry, Anna. I had no idea that you hadn't been informed of what was going on.”

“Ito is known to be a man that you don't want to cross.”

“Bastard. And then after all that stress, you had to run the gambit with the Giganteans. I know that was hell for you. I suspect it was Princess Mara Toda's idea. Payment for saving our relationship and careers, and of course, Admiral Ito would have been glad to support her plan to get back at you.”

Anna hugged Jill close. “It's over and we are together again. How do you feel about having to leave the ISC?”

“Mixed. On the one hand, I can be more open about our relationship now, and I feel I'm more on an equal footing. On the other, I really wanted to do well in the DMC, and instead, I had to quit before I got thrown out.”

“I think you are wonderful. You already have made a name for yourself with the DMC and you will continue to do so. It's just your status has changed.”

“So what about this swanky dinner?”

“You're going to be impressed.”

Anna got up and went to a console to buzz for their meal to be sent up from the ship's galley. Jill made herself comfortable in the corner of the couch curling her feet up under her.

“I should wait for Erickson and Toda to hand in a report on the explosion, but the bottom line is it didn't happen.”

“What?”

“Nothing in Navigation exploded. The explosion was separate from the system and it caused the damage to the navigation systems.”

“A bomb you mean? Sabotage?”

“We're evenly divided. Erickson said it is virtually impossible for someone to get into that area without being noticed. Also there is no evidence of a bomb. Nothing. Toda feels that it very well could be sabotage but we just don't know how.”

“What do you think?”

“I have no opinion. This is well beyond my level of expertise. Toda will get to the bottom of it though. He won't give up until he figures it out.”

Anna sighed. “This is not good news. I've already had..." She stopped at the sight of the warning light and bell. “That should be dinner. Come.”

The door slid open and a crew man wheeled in a trolley with their meal and then he quietly left.

“Let's eat. There is nothing we can do about this problem for the moment. Tell me about what you learned and saw on Gigantean.”

They had a lovely meal, at least by star ship standard, and Jill told Anna all about her studies and experiences. Then, Jill pulled Anna up to dance. They held each other close, Jill resting her head on Anna's shoulder.

Anna nuzzled Jill's ear. “I love you.”

Jill kissed Anna's waiting lips. “I love you, too. Let's go to bed.”

Anna was only too willing.

They helped each other out of their clothes and fell into Anna's bed. Kissing and rubbing against each other. It had been a long time. They were both needy.

Anna nuzzled Jill's throat while her fingers teased Jill's nipples until they were hard with desire.

“Oh, that feels wonderful, Anna. Oh, Anna.”

Anna kissed a line down her lover's chest until she touched the wet hairs of Jill's desire. Her tongue felt Jill's clitoris now hard, swollen and sensitive. She rode Jill's raised leg, rubbing her own sex against it as she used her tongue to bring Jill to a heart-thumping climax.

Jill cried with release and Anna could feel on her fingers the waves of desire that ran through the woman she loved. The sensation brought her to a climax and left her cream on Jill's leg.

Anna moved to hold Jill close. “Okay, lover?”

“More than okay. Totally spent. Oh Anna, I've missed you so much!”

They curled closed together. The sensation of being one again so intense that neither wanted to pull away until they were ready to make love again. In the early hours of the morning, they finally fell asleep spent from lovemaking.

Anna's communication system brought them groggily awake a few hours later.

“Commodore Cyborn?”

“Here. Go ahead, Lt. Toda.” Anna managed, blinking at the clock to see what time it was. 700.

“I have a theory I wish to share with you and Jill. Are you available?”

Anna felt red spreading up her neck.

Jill laughed. “Hi Toda. Give us an hour and then join us for breakfast.”

“Okay, Jill.”

“Shit!” Anna jumped from bed and started to pick up things.

“It's okay. You think nobody knows we are lovers?”

“I'm supposed be the Commodore of the DMC not some lovesick woman shacked up with her girlfriend.”

“Even Commodores get to enjoy their off duty hours. Come on, shower with me. It will save time.”

It didn't save time, of course, but they were presentable and had breakfast on the table when Toda arrived.

Toda came to attention and saluted. “Commodore.”

“As you were, Lieutenant. Join us for breakfast.”

“Thank you, Commodore. Hi Jill.”

“Hi Toda. What's up?”

“I think I have it worked out. I can't prove it, Commodore, but I think I can make a case for it being sabotage.”

Anna frowned. “Let's eat first and then you can give me a full report.”

Toda tucked into a large bowl of dry grains and nuts. Crunching happily. Anna and Jill opted for oatmeal and coffee.

They sat after, Anna and Jill with their second coffees and Toda's glass of Tadberry juice.

“I have to admit the idea came to me by a chance conversation I had with Lt. Erickson. He's assigned to Engineering although he really doesn't have empathy for the mechanical. He tries hard and has a good knowledge base, but he just doesn't sense the ship's moods.”

“To the point, Lieutenant.”

“Oh yes. Erickson had been down to sickbay because he had a tingling sensation in his toes. The doctor couldn't find anything wrong with him. Well, I suspected right away. So I asked him where he'd been working before going down to sick bay and he said he was over near the secondary fuel cells doing a diagnostic and that he was very lucky to have gotten out of there before the explosion. I sympathized although really he would have been quite safe. It wasn't that big an explosion.”

“And?”

“There is an air vent directly over the Navigation terminal. Pure oxygen can make your toes tingle.”

“So you think someone directed a flow of pure oxygen into the area and it caused the explosion.”

“Yes.”

“Anyway to prove it?”

“No, Com. It could have just as easily been an accident but I had a talk with the ship and it was quite indignant. She definitely feels she was attacked.”

Anna managed to keep a neutral face. “I don't think ISC will accept your talk as evidence, Toda.”

“No, I don't suppose so. But Com, I'm sure it wasn't just an accident.”

Anna nodded. “I'm going to assume that there could be an element aboard The Explorer that is hostile to this mission. I'll brief the senior officers of your theory. I want you to keep this to yourself. If anyone asks, you don't know what went wrong. If we do have a saboteur on board, we don't want to alert him or her to the fact that we suspect anything. In the meantime, Toda, I want you to stay alert and spend as much time as you can in Engineering.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

Anna stood and Toda came to his feet.

“Thank you for your hard work. I'm taking what you said very seriously. Dismissed.”

Toda left after a little finger wave and smile at Jill.

“He had a talk with the ship?”

“Giganteans see mechanical things as a different type of life form. You are going to take him seriously, I hope.”

“I'd be a fool not to. I need to see my senior officers.”

Jill got up. “I've got things to do. See you tonight if you are free.” They kissed and Jill was gone.

 

 

 

An hour later, Anna sat with Captain Justice Moshapa, Captain Carlos Garcia and Commander Jane Hamilton in Carlos's ready room just off the bridge.

“He had a talk with the ship?” Carlos had just asked in disbelief.

Anna shrugged. “It's a Gigantean thing. The bottom line is his theory could be true and I think we need to be cautious.”

As First Officer aboard The Explorer, Jane was responsible for the crew. “I find it hard to believe that anyone aboard The Explorer would be involved in an act of terrorism against this vessel.”

Anna nodded. “I feel the same about The Mariner crew. Yet, I know that Crewman Sur is a environmentalist with real concerns about the exploration of dark matter. I know that Lt. Barron is also not comfortable exploring this area of space. It seems that to many it has significance.”

“What does that mean,” Jane asked.

“I'm not sure. I've asked Crewman Sur to report here at 1000 to elaborate on that very theme.” The warning light came on with the bell at the door. “Ah, that's probably him now.”

Anna looked at Carlos.

Carlos nodded. “Come,” he said, and the door opened to admit Crewman Sur. Sur took three steps in, came to attention and saluted.

“As you were, Crewman Sur. Take a seat,” Carlos instructed.

Anna took over. “Aja, I asked you to be prepared to make a report to the crew of The Mariner on information related to the Dark Matter in sector 1284. I thought it best we hear that report first so we are better prepared to set goals for this mission and field any questions the crew might have. Are you ready?”

“Yes, Commodore.”

“Proceed.”

Aja arranged his notes nervously. This was a heady situation for someone of his age and rank. “The dark matter in section 1284 has had mystical significance to many cultures since the dawn of time. The three habitable planets in sector 1284 have different names and legends associated with it. On Gorvantar, the people believe that the souls of the dead travel through a portal hidden in the dark matter to travel to the world beyond. It is a mirror image of their own but occupied by the spirits of the dead. They call this place Erata. On Sollon, it is called Sol. A place of spacial nothingness. The inhabitants of the planet meditate on this dark place in space in order to find an inner peace. While on Jassmat the inhabitants believe that their God, Karlot, took the stars from that area of the sky to make their planet and everything on it. Karlot is believed to reside within this dark area of space.”

“Have any of these cultures attempted to go to the area?”

“They have rudimentary space programs but nothing that would allow them to cover the large distance to the dark matter. I suspect, that none of these cultures would be pleased about our current assignment.”

“Anything else?”

“Yes, Commodore. Thousands of legends. On Earth, it is the area associated with the Pleiades constellation from which the shooting stars that are seen in the summer originate. Some native peoples believe it is the source of the universe's energy. I could go on and on. The bottom line is we'll be entering an area that is culturally and mystically significant.”

“Why this area?”

“It's hard for us on Earth to understand because we are so far away. I have read a lot of reports by travellers who have entered the dark mass and they use expressions like this. It called to my soul. I felt so at peace. I saw everything I was and I was afraid. I couldn't sleep. Dreams haunted me. I can't explain it, Commodore other than to say people are spiritually moved in some way when they get close to that area.”

“Thank you, Crewman Sur. This has been most enlightening. Please see that we all get copies of your report.”

“Aye, aye, Commodore.”

“Dismissed.”

Anna looked around the table. “I think our present mission could raise some pretty high emotions in someone who has a belief associated with this region. Suggestions?”

There was a moment of silence. Then Carlos shook his head. “We have a mission to complete.

We can try to be as sensitive to beliefs as possible but I can't see how we can avoid causing some offense.”

Jane frowned. “Do you think ISC was aware of these belief issues when they assigned us to this mission?”

“When I talked to Admiral Ito, he seemed more concerned that we not have direct contact with a species that might be far advanced to our own. He failed to caution me that there might be beliefs associated with the area that would make our mission seem a violation of a spiritual site.”

“We always get the hard ones,” Carlos said.

Anna nodded. “I think we need to get the word out that this is a survey mission only, in the hopes of declaring this area a no-go region of space. I think we should form a committee to follow up on Crewman's Sur's research to show that we are making every effort to protect this region of space.”

“Are we?” Jane asked.

“If this area proves significant, we'll certainly make that request of ISC. What they choose to do will be totally out of our hands.”

 

 

 

Weeks went by. Even travelling close to the speed of light, space is vast and distances formidable. Anna found herself busy. As well as overseeing the ongoing research of the dark mass, there were simulation programs to develop, drills to be run, repairs and maintenance to assign and check, crew issues to discuss, and various proposals for their mission to evaluate. Each night, Jill would join her in her quarters for dinner. If neither of them had night duty, Jill would stay over. After, the unfortunate issue in Navigation, everything aboard ship had gone relatively smoothly and Anna had begun to think the explosion was indeed an accident.

Over the weeks, they had developed numerous scenarios based on computer data gathered by earlier missions of what they might face when they entered the wormhole and were thrown across the universe. Once the programs were developed, they had chosen three teams to train on the simulators in eight hour shifts each day. They had started working in the simulator only four days before. Despite their best efforts and training, so far they had not had a successful mission. The Mariner simulator program always had them imploding.

That morning, Anna and Carlos, Jill, and Sur were in the simulation chamber. They had just sealed the hatches and had brought up the day's program when the emergency light started to flash.

“We have an oxygen leak. Oxygen levels are rising,” Jill reported.

“Sealing off tank four,” Sur stated, following the correct simulation protocol.

“Negative results. Oxygen levels rising.”

“Running diagnostic,” Carlos stated.

Anna reacted almost before the realization had hit her. “It's not a simulation. Open the EE hatch! Emergency evacuation procedure,” she yelled. Each crew member responded immediately, shutting off their centres and sliding out the emergency chute one after the other. Anna was the last one clear just before there was a pop and flash from within.

“Oxygen explosion,” Carlos muttered in disgust.

“So it would seem. Everyone okay?”

“”Yes, Com,” Sur responded.

“I'm fine too,” Jill state. “Permission to have a look inside, Commodore.”

Anna nodded, keeping her face neutral. “Granted. Make sure the oxygen levels are within normal range first and the craft purged of atmospheric pollutants.”

“Aye, aye, Com,” Jill smiled.

Anna blushed, realizing she had acted overprotective. Any engineering crewman knew to check levels and purge before going into an area where an explosion had taken place.

“Sorry. You know how to do your job. Get Toda and Erickson down here too. We'll want a report as soon as possible.”

“Yes, Commodore.”

“Carlos, I'm going to meet again with Sur. Would you see about briefing Justice and Jane?”

“Will do, Com.”

Anna headed to her ready room and had Crewman Aja Sur and Sub Lieutenant Barron Evmon summoned.

“Come.” Anna called, once she saw the warning light flashing. “Take a seat, Evmon, Aja. We've got problems. There was another small explosion less than an hour ago in the simulator. Fortunately, we all got out in time although my impression was that this one would not have caused injuries or much damage. It was oxygen-based again.”

Aja and Evmon looked at each other. “We'd heard there been a problem in the simulator this morning but we hadn't heard what it was,” Evmon stated.

“Once could have been an accident, twice looks like mischief. I hesitate to use the word sabotage as the incidents seem to be more of a warning than an attempt to do harm. That said, it's serious. It's also difficult because it appears to be someone associated with the DMC. I'm going to have to ask for names. I need you to go through every personnel file on this ship checking for any connections with organizations that might want to undermined this mission.”

Sue looked disgusted. Evmon looked shocked and expressed her concerns. “These people are friends, Commodore. Aboard The Mariner, they are family. Being a person of belief or holding strong view on environmental protection does not make you a terrorist.”

Anna nodded and went on more softly. “I know. It hurts. But it needs to be done. We're a long way from home and without a lifeline. Mischief can soon escalate into a deadly situation. I'm giving you a tough assignment. I'm also putting trust in you. I'm well aware that both of you have backgrounds that could very well make you candidates for the list. Like you, I don't want to believe it's someone on board, but we can't take the chance. Make the list. Have it too me as soon as possible. Any questions?”

“No, Com.”

“No, sir.”

Anna got up. “Dismissed.”

Aja and Evmon left looking less than happy about their assignment. Anna couldn't blame them. She didn't like it herself and now she had a worse task. She needed to bring up the files of Aja, Evmon and Jill and check their backgrounds carefully. To have to put Jill on the list really upset Anna but Jill hadn't pass her security check with ISC and so would always have to be among the first persons of suspicion when something like this occurred. It was a matter of following procedure.

Several hours later, Anna's door light flashed. “Come.”

Justice walked in.

“Hi. Please tell me you are bringing good news.”

“Sorry, I'm not. Sue asked me to come and get you. Jill's been hurt. She's okay but she's down in sickbay.”

Anna felt the colour drain from her face. She was on her feet heading for the door with Justice in her wake. “What happened?”

“I don't know any details yet. She was up on a catwalk checking atmosphere regulators to the simulator and fell. She managed to send a distress signal to sickbay. Lt. Lai and Lt. Heon responded and got her on a stretcher and brought her to sickbay. Sue contacted me to come and get you. Dr. Barr is examining her now.”

Anna nodded as they stepped into the elevator that would take them to the medical section of the ship.

“You okay?”

Anna nodded again. She didn't feel up to conversation. She just needed to see Jill.

Sue met them in sickbay. “Commodore, Dr. Barr and Lt. Heon are with Jill in surgery now. You'll have to wait a bit before you can see her.”

“Surgery?” Anna's voice shook with emotion.

“Broken leg. The fibula. They had to put her under to set it. With treatment, she'll be as good as new in a week or so.”

“How did it happen? Did she say?”

Sue nodded. “She said she had climbed up the ladder onto the catwalk to check the atmosphere regulators to the simulator when she became aware of a presence behind her. She turned around but all she could see was a bright, white light. She stepped back and toppled down the ladder. She got the wind knocked out of her, but she said she was aware that whoever it was checked to make sure she was okay before leaving.”

“Didn't anyone see this person?”

It was Justice that answered. “No one. How he or she could have got back out without being noticed is beyond me. Toda and Erickson were working on the simulator near the only hatch leading out of the area were Jill was working. You know how good Toda's hearing is and Erickson is no slouch when it comes to observation skills.”

“Shit.”

Dr. Barr came out form surgery. “Commander, Ms. Fairfax is in recovery. I wouldn't suggest that you question her for a few hours yet.”

“Jill Fairfax is my girlfriend, Doctor.”

“Oh. Well in that case go right through. She's groggy but she'll know you are there.”

The three watched as Anna disappeared into the next room.

“Was I the last to know?” Barr asked.

“Pretty much.” Justice laughed.

Anna leaned over to drop a kiss on Jill's forehead. “Hi, love. How are you feeling?”

“Okay, just a little sleepy.”

“Why is it you have to put a scare into me on every mission?” Anna joked.

Jill reached out and Anna took her hand. “Sorry, I scared you.”

“You just get better. Sleep now. I'll sit here until the doctor says you can leave.”

“Thanks,” came the mumbled reply before Jill slipped back into sleep.

A few hours later, Anna had Jill tucked up comfortably in Anna's quarters.

“People will talk,” Jill smiled.

“I don't give a damn. Do you want anything?”

“Yes, but I don't think we can for a day or two until my bones knit a bit more.”

Anna laughed and bent to kiss Jill. “At least you don't have to wear a cast like they did years ago. It took months then for the bone to heal.”

“The doctor said I can return to duty in a few days if I'm careful and in a few weeks the bone will be knit together again. It will be easy to rebreak, though, for a few months.”

Anna frowned. “That means your off the mission, Jill.”

“No way!”

“Jill, we don't know what sort of G force or banging around we might experience inside that wormhole. An injured crew member would just add to the dangers. You know that.”

“Hell. Who will you take instead?”

“Evmon, off team B. Her communication skills might come in handy.”

“Good choice. I hate this.”

Anne gave Jill a hug. “I know. You like to be at the centre of the action.”

“I like to be guarding your back,” Jill said, reaching up to hug Anna.

“I have a good team. They'll take care of me.” Anna lay down carefully beside Jill and held her close until she went to sleep.

 

Rumour Mill

 

Anna was acutely aware of the sudden silence when she walked into the mess hall. It lasted only a few seconds before the crew filled in the vacuum with unnecessary chatter. Anne frowned. It was never a good sign when the crew were talking about things they didn't want the senior officers to hear. She wondered if the gossip was about Jill's move to her quarters, the accident, or the mystery of who was causing the explosions. Probably all three, she concluded. She got herself a coffee and then headed out.

Normally, she made the effort at least once a week to walk around the mess and talk to various crew members. Sue had suggested she get to know the crews of The Mariner and The Explorer better. Anna had really made an effort to do so. She'd stored significant information on each crew member in her memory banks and now she could call each by their name and ask relative questions. Jill, still seemed to be able to get the crews to talk more openly with her but at least Anna was able to pass the time of day with all the crew members without having them stand at attention and get tongue-tied. Today wasn't going to be one of those days. The crew was not going to share. A quiet retreat seemed the best course.

Anna made her way to the bridge. Jane was on deck and stood when Anna walked in.

Anna waved her back into the command seat.

“Where can I find Captain Garcia?”

“He and Captain Moshapa are in the ready room, Commodore.”

Anna raised an eyebrow and headed over to The Explorer ready room. What would Carlos and Justice be up to?

“Come,” came the command from Carlos and the door slid open. The two men scrambled to their feet guiltily when they saw Anna. Playing cards and a cribbage board sat on the table between them.

“As you were. Am I interrupting a good game?”

“Not from my point of view. Justice is about to skunk me.”

“I was just down in the mess hall. I got the feeling that everyone wanted to gossip but not with me.”

Carlos sighed and leaned back. “Yeah, Justice and I were talking about that. There's a lot of talk going on.”

“Are the crew loyal?”

“You mean can we expect a mutiny? I doubt it but belief runs deep. I think we've got a situation on our hands that if left could blow up in our faces.”

“Justice?”

“I agree. Someone is being very clever, I think. He or she is stirring things up without being noticed. If I was home in Botswana, I would think that there was a shaman involved in black magic.”

“What are you hearing?”

Justice shrugged. “Nothing. Everyone clams up as soon as I arrive.”

“Same here. No one is talking when I'm around.”

“Suggestions?”

Carlos looked at Justice. Justice nodded. “Get Jill down to Engineering. Toda has ears as sensitive as a radar disc. Whether he's involved in the gossip or not, he's overheard talk, you can count on it, and he'll talk to Jill.”

“Jill isn't ready for active duty.”

“Then send her for a walk down there,” Justice countered.

“I could have Toda report to our quarters.”

Carlos snorted. “Toda would be marked as a stool pigeon immediately. Justice is right, send Jill.”

“I'll talk to her.”

“Anna, we need to get on top of this pretty quick.”

Anna nodded but frowned. “I'll go talk to her now.”

When Anna returned to her quarters she found Jill asleep. Bones could be knitted fairly quickly now but the down side was that there was several days of considerable discomfort. Anna didn't have the heart to wake her. Instead, she requested that Sur and Evmon meet her in her ready room.

“There is a lot of gossip going on aboard ship. What are you hearing?”

Sur frowned. “The crew are aware that we are working closely with you on this project so we don't hear much. There are wild stories about aliens being on board and others about gods warning us to turn back.”

“The prevailing story is that Jill saw a bright light that was a sign from the gods that we'll all be struck down if we continue with this mission. All the mythology and beliefs associated about this area have been dredged up and discussed over and over again until they have become elaborate belief structures. The crew is worried,” Evmon explained.

Anna sighed. “Not good news. Do you have a list for me?”

Sur and Evmon looked at each other. They were clearly not comfortable. It was Evmon that finally spoke. “We do have a list but we've decided instead to give you a name.”

“You know who caused the attacks?”

“We suspect. We think it might be Lt. Alrick Erickson.”

“Erickson has an outstanding record with the ISC. He's a seasoned officer and a fine engineer. Why him?”

“A number of things. First, Aja went through his record and he had once trained to be a Ecoterra priest. He never completed his training and joined the ISC instead, but he's maintained his connection with the faith as a lay preacher. Second, he is the only person who had easy access to the areas where the problems arose. Lastly, Aja was approached by several crew members to join an Ecoterra group aboard The Explorer. The reasons they gave for renewing their beliefs was that The Explorer was violating sacred territory.”

“I pretended to have an interest in joining and was able to discover that these ideas had come from Erickson. He is not advocating any sort of revolt or anything. He just wants the crew to realize that this mission shouldn't be happening. I think he's hoping to put enough doubt out there that the mission will be scrapped.”

“The ISC doesn't scrap missions. He's a fool if he thinks that. How sure are you that it's him?”

“Fifty-fifty, if I was to give it odds,” Evmon stated.

“I agree.”

Anna sighed. “It's a starting point. Keep this quiet. Captain Garcia and I will investigate Erickson from here on. I want you two keeping your eyes and ears open. We don't know if it's Erickson and there could be others involved.”

“Aye, aye, Com.”

“Yes, Commodore.”

“Dismissed.”

Anna leaned back and considered this could be a very tricky situation. The last thing she wanted to do was cause a rift between the two crews. Also, Carlos and Jane probably should be handled with care. Their natural reaction could be to defend their crew member especially one as important as their chief engineer.

She leaned forward pressed a button on her console and paged Carlos.

“Captain Garcia.”

“Captain, could the senior officers meet in your ready room at 1400 hours?”

“Affirmative, Commodore.”

The wheels in motion, Anna went to check on Jill again.

“Hi, sleepyhead. How are you feeling?” Anna leaned over the bed and kissed Jill's forehead before sitting carefully on the edge of the bed.

“Better. A lot of the discomfort has gone.”

“How is your day going?”

“Busy. I've decided to take Erickson on the mission instead of Evmon.”

“What? No way! If you need an engineer it should be me or Toda! Besides, you said yourself that Evmon's language abilities could be a great asset on the mission.”

For a second Anna bristled, then calmed herself. This wasn't Jill the crewman speaking anymore, but a civilian and her lover. She had to adjust to this change in Jill's status in the DMC. “What have you got against Erickson? He's got a good record.”

“He doesn't understand machinery. He doesn't listen to their needs and understand their personalities.”

Anna laughed. “You've spent too much time on Gigantean.”

“Well, it's true!” Jill huffed.

“I think I'm going to put him on the mission anyway.”

“Why?”

Anna shrugged. She didn't want to admit that the words had come out of her mouth before she'd even consciously thought about it. “It will be good for inter-crew relations to have another member from The Explorer aboard.”

“I guess that's true.” Jill admitted reluctantly. Jill reached over and pulled Anna into a hug. “I hate you going on a mission without me.”

Anna kissed Jill's neck and rubbed her head against her hair. “This from the person who flew into a dark mass in a one-person ISM and then headed out into deep space in one.”

“Somehow it's not as scary when I'm taking risks. I don't want to live without you, Anna.”

“You won't. How about some lunch?”

Jill laughed mischievously and pulled Anna down on the bed. “Oh yeah.”

 

 

 

Anna arrived at the meeting she had called six minutes late. Her senior officers stood when she walked in.

“As you were. Sorry I'm late,” stated Anna taking a seat at the head of the table aware she was blushing. “I called this meeting to update you on several issues. First, I have Crewman Sur and Lt. Barron investigating crew files to come up with a list of individuals that could be involved in these incidents. I personally have investigated Sur and Barron and they both remain on the list, although, I don't think they had the opportunity to sabotage the ship.”

“When do we get to see the list, Commodore?” Jane asked.

“I have it here. One copy. I'll pass it around for you to see. I don't want any record. Most or all of these people could be innocent. I don't want to be pointing fingers or creating suspicion where it isn't needed. Our crews have bonded well together. I don't want rifts. It's bad enough that all these wild rumours are circulating.”

Carlos and Jane bent over the list. They did not look happy. Carlos looked up at Anna.

“Why is Erickson's name highlighted?”

“He's the only one we've found so far who has motive and opportunity.”

“He's a good man. A fine engineer.”

“Yes. That's why I have decided to assign him to the mission to replace Jill.”

Carlos and Jane looked surprised. The anger seemed to drain from Jane's face. As First Officer, she was responsible for the crew aboard The Explorer and was loyal to them.

Jane bit her lip. “What if Erickson is the saboteur?”

“If that's the case, he won't get away with much with us nearby and with luck we can win him over.”

“It's a risk.”

“So is flying into a vortex wormhole. One more risk will hardly matter. You're First Officer on this mission, Carlos. How do you feel about taking Erickson?”

Carlos considered. “He's got a good service record and I like him. He'd be a top candidate on any mission I was planning. Also, if he is the saboteur, he's my responsibility, and I want to be there to deal with it. Yes, let's put him on the mission.”

“Justice?”

“I'm not happy with the decision. This mission is very high risk already. That said, having an engineer aboard would be advisable. The craft could easily be damaged by the forces within the vortex. Jill is out, what about Toda?”

“I considered Toda but if Erickson is the saboteur better he undermine a crew of four rather than a star ship of 170. The mission crew will also have the advantage of being aware that he's a suspect.”

“Jane?”

“I think The Explorer has a fine crew and that includes Erickson. I just want to state for the record that you two had better come back in one piece because if Erickson does undermine this mission, Jill will have my flayed skin mounted on her wall.”

Anna stiffened. “Jill Fairfax is assigned to this crew. Our relationship does not take precedence to any decision we make as officers. She might be a civilian now and not a crewman, but she is still under our authority while aboard a ISC vessel.”

Carlos laughed and broke the tension that had flared in the room. “Anna, you are such a newbie when it comes to love!”

Anna blushed but had to laugh too. Her outburst had been triggered more by Jill having put her on the defensive earlier than it had by anything Jane had said.

“I stand corrected, Number One. You might want to have an escape route planned.”

“Aye, aye, Com,” Jane smiled.

Anna dismissed her officers and then made her way down to engineering. She found Lt. Erickson in his small office just off the engineering section and closed the door behind her.

Erickson snapped to attention and saluted. Anna returned the salute and then sat down leaving Erickson standing at attention.

“You and I have some interrelated problems. My problem is that my mission keeps getting undermined. Your problem is you don't know where your loyalties lie. I understand you did some training as a Ecoterra priest. Is that correct?”

“Yes, sir.”

“I looked the Ecoterra movement up. They have some reasonable beliefs in wanting to create and maintain a world that is totally in tune and supportive of the environment. I like that they see the interconnectedness between Earth and the universe and want to live in harmony with both. Those are honourable goals. They do, however, put you in a difficult position with this mission. Many feel the dark matter we are heading for has spiritual significance. Is that not so?”

Erickson looked grim. “The area does have spiritual significance, Commodore.”

“Sit down, Alrick,” Anne said softly. “I had a similar discussion with Crewman Aja Sur on our first mission. He is, as I'm sure you know, a committed activist in Earth's green movement. He would have liked to be a biologist but his family insisted he join the ISC. That put him in a very difficult position on our first mission. Fortunately, instead of undermining the mission he came to talk to me about it.

“I told him, that exploration of dark matter was going to happen and it would better if the DMC did it because we would care. I put him in charge of researching and presenting any environmental concerns. As a result, we have already submitted a good argument to the ISC to declare several regions of space no-fly areas. Aja now sees himself as a universal environmentalist. ”

Emotion flashed in Erickson's eyes. “The ISC does not have a great record for protecting environments.”

“No, it doesn't. Especially in the past, but we do learn from our mistakes. I couldn't promise Aja that we'd always be successful in protecting sensitive areas but we'd do our best. Sabotage rarely gets the results you want without considerable loss. Working within the system is frustrating and slow but it can bring positive change. That's why you joined the ISC, isn't it? To bring positive change?”

Erickson looked down at his hands. He couldn't meet Anna's eyes. “I'm an engineer, like my mother and my grandfather. I never questioned becoming an engineer until I got involved with the Ecoterra faith. Then I saw the damage my kind had done. It was a revelation for me. I quit the job I had and starting training as a Ecoterra priest. Halfway through my training I had this calling to try and save space from the destruction that Earth went through. So I dropped out of my training and joined the ISC. I wanted to be involved in environmental studies but instead they stuck me in Engineering.”

“Jill tells me that a good engineer can hear the machines issues and problems.”

“Sure they can. Machines have unique personalities. I try not to listen anymore. It's not who I am now.”

“I disagree. I think you're a born engineer and a good one. You have to stop denying who you are and start using your talents to meet the goals you have set for yourself. The Mariner is going on a very dangerous mission. Jill's off the team because of her injury. I want you on the mission. Here's your first chance to use your skills to achieve the change you want.”

“How? By violating a sacred area?”

“No, by going on a mission to learn and to do so without doing damage or harm. I know Aja has some ideas in motion for how that can be done. I'm sure he'd be glad to share in return for some guidance on how to fly The Mariner through the wormhole. You want to be on the cutting edge of positive change. Now's your chance. ”

“Do you really think the ISC will seriously consider any recommendations we have?”

Anne stood and so did Erickson. “Maybe, maybe not, but at least we'll have done all we can to set the wheels of motion in the right direction.”

“What if we are violating a sacred area?”

Anna considered. She had to get this answer right. “Then better it's by people who care and have a spiritual awareness and respect who touch the face of God. The simulator will be up and ready by tomorrow. First session will be at 700 hours. Be there.”

“Yes, sir.”

Anna left hoping that she'd won Erickson over and not sealed The Mariner's fate. She stopped to look out a port into deep, dark space. To touch the face of God, she'd heard herself say. Where had that come from? She must have read the line somewhere. Anna didn't believe in gods. Yet somehow, she was glad that aboard her ship there would be people who did.

The next morning, Anna boarded the simulator with Carlos, Aja and Alrik. As a precaution, Anna asked Toda to stand by. He was making an effort not to be noticed by working over at the research centre of Engineering. It was not easy for someone so big to not be noticed.

“Hi, Toda. What are you doing?” Aja called.

“Hello, Aja. I'm just doing research. Nothing important.”

Alrik looked over at Toda and their eyes met before he slid inside the simulator. Anna allowed herself a sigh. This was not a good start. She wanted Alrik to feel part of the team not to feel like he was under suspicion.

They strapped themselves in as if it was a real mission. The artificial gravity aboard The Mariner would not work within the confines of a worm tunnel. The external pressures were just too great.

The speaker crackled on. “Program 16. Stand by for entry into the wormhole in eight minutes, forty-two seconds.”

“Aja, bring us into position. Carlos, standby with navigational coordinates. Alrik monitor structural integrity and life support. Readiness report.”

“All systems nominal, Com.”

“Take us in, Aja.”

“Aye, aye, Com. Four minutes to event horizon. Three. Two. One. We're in.”

The craft tossed and whirled as the crew endeavoured to keep their craft within acceptable pressure limits.

“Pressure rising, Aja,” stated Erik calmly. “Advise twenty second firing of retro rockets.”

“Rockets fired.”

“Space/time trajectory stable,” Justice added.

“Steady as she goes, Aja.”

“Aye, aye, Com.”

“We're coming up on the event horizon,” said Justice.

Anna nodded. “Fire forward retro rockets.”

“Fired.”

“Speed still increasing, as is external pressure,” Alrick stated.

“Fire the retro rockets again.”

An alarm went off and red lights flashed. The craft stopped its wild bouncing. Anna slumped back into her seat. “Damn. Report Alrick.”

“We slammed against something. Has this always happened in the simulator?”

“Yes.”

“I think, what we have here is a very narrow event horizon. We're impacting into the wormhole and disintegrating instead of getting through to the other side.”

“Suggestions?”

“Are the readings taken by earlier missions accurate?”

“They've been verified The simulator should be giving us a pretty accurate ride. We plan to send some probes in to gather more data before we an attempt an entry.”

“Permission to talk to Toda about various options, Commodore, before we continue simulation training?”

“Granted. Simulator Control, that's all for today, we're coming out.”

Carlos slid out first then Aja. Anna was ready to go next when Alrick spoke.

“Commodore?”

“Yes, Lieutenant?”

“Thank you. You could have ended my career and had me up on some pretty serious charges. Instead you gave me a chance to prove myself. I'm going to do my best to win your trust and respect.”

“You have a good record. Make sure you keep it that way.”

“Yes, Commodore.”

Anna slid out and Alrick followed. He headed over to where Toda was working. Anna looked at Carlos who had remained behind.

“Well?” he asked.

“So far so good, Carlos. Of course, maybe he just likes the idea of our craft imploding into nothingness.”

“Cheery thought.”

Anna smiled. “Yup.”

Lunch was not a happy experience. Anna arrived back at her quarters to find Jill sitting in her wheelchair looking very angry.

“What's the matter?”

“This.” Jill held up the sheet of suspects that Anna had take to her meeting. “I found it on your desk. Why is Alrick's name highlighted?”

“Because he is the only one we know with a possible interest in undermining the mission and the opportunity and knowledge to do so.”

“So you picked him for the mission!”

“We have no proof he's our man and if he is, what better way to keep an eye on him? I've had a talk with him.”

“Damn it, Anna. This is a very dangerous mission and you've just made it more so.”

“I'm the Commodore of the DMC. I make the decisions. I don't care if you are in the ISC or not. If you want to stay with the DMC then you'll have to accept my authority on mission matters like anyone else.”

Jill paled and her jaw set in a straight line.

“As you say, Commodore. I'll be in my quarters.”

“Jill, for God's sakes, you can't manage with a broken leg. Don't be silly.”

“I can manage. And just for the record, this has nothing to do with your command and everything to do with our relationship.”

“I can't stop putting myself in danger just because I'm in a relationship. You know that. You wouldn't think twice about doing the same.”

“Sure. But I'd take every precaution because I'd want to get home to you.” Jill wheeled herself to the doorway and was gone.

Anna slumped into a chair. Just when she thought they were going to make a life together this happened. Why did it always end in a fight with them?

Her door warning light flashed. Anna sighed and got to her feet. What now?

“Come.”

Jill wheeled herself in.

“Why can't we live together without getting into a fight?” Anna asked

“It's me, not you. Not that you can't be infuriating, but the problem is me.”

Anna came over and knelt by Jill's wheelchair. “Do you want to explain?”

Jill nodded, tears welling in her eyes. “ Can you hold me? It would be easier to tell then.”

Anna picked Jill up and carried her to the couch. She wrapped her tight in her arms and kissed her temple. “Tell me.”

“I loved the west. I loved everything about it. My dad was my hero. Mom and dad would take me to all the big rodeos. It was a wonderful life for a kid.”

“I'm sure it was.”

“Dad...”

“Yes?”

“Dad abused me. When I turned thirteen.”

Anna's feelings were mixed. On the one hand she was relieved that Jill was sharing this with her. On the other hand, she wasn't sure she wanted to know the details. “Shit.”

“I...I told Mom and they argued. Dad stormed off and that's when he was gored by the bull. I don't know if he didn't know it was in the pasture or if he didn't care. It killed him. Mom sold up everything and moved east. We were never close again. I guess it was easier for her to believe it was my fault. Then she remarried. Walter is a nice guy but I didn't want anything to do with him. I couldn't trust, not again. Anyway, I started to act out and before I knew it I was in trouble with the law.”

“What does this have to do with us?”

“ It's hard for me to believe people. The people I loved betrayed me. How do I know you won't be any different?”

Anna pulled Jill close. “Because I know how you feel. I know what it's like to be rejected as a human being. I know what it's like to be violated. I understand why it's hard for you to trust and commit yourself to a relationship. All I can tell you is that I'm not like them. My love is real. We might argue, but it's not going to change how I feel about you. All my life I've wanted to find someone who loved me for who I am, not what I was made into. I've found that love and I don't ever want to lose it. Yes, I command the DMC and have to put the job first, but know this Jill, you are always on my mind and in my heart. I will always do everything I can to get back to you.”

“I can never take the pain away or repair the scars from what was done to you. I wish I could. All I can tell you is that I understand and that I will never betray you like your family did. Looks like neither one of us really has a family to turn to. I figure we need to form our own family. We need to put the past behind us and move on, knowing that our love is something we can always trust.”

“Anna?”

“Hmm?”

“You're wonderful. I'm sorry I yelled at you.”

“You were worried about me. You were trying to protect me. The discussion just came out all the wrong way and got both our backs up. Thanks for coming back.”

“I don't want to lose you.”

“You're not going to.”

The communication panel came to life.

“Commodore to the bridge. Commodore Cyborn, you are wanted on the bridge.”

“Shit, now what?” Anna carefully picked Jill up and placed her in her wheelchair. Dropping a kiss on her head. “Are you going to be okay?”

Jill nodded.

“I'll be back as soon as I can.”

Anna arrived on the bridge and slipped into the seat beside Carlos.

“What's up?”

“A message came through from Star Port Gagarin. It's from Vice-Admiral Grover.”

“Let's look at it in your ready room.”

“Aye, aye, Com. You have the bridge Number One.”

“Yes, sir.”

Carlos and Anna headed into the ready room.

“Have you read it?” Anna asked as soon as the hatch closed.

“Not yet. I figured I'd better get you seeing it was coming from Grover.”

“Shit.” Anna dropped down in Carlos's chair and brought the message up on his computer screen.

 

From the Office of Vice-Admiral B. Grover

Re: Mission progress reports

 

I have read over The Explorer's mission progress reports with much attention and dismay. It appears that Commodore Cyborn is having a problem maintaining discipline aboard ship. This saboteur is in a position not only to undermined a sensitive mission but also to put the crew and vessel in danger. I have decided that the only prudent course of action is to abort this mission. The Explorer is ordered to abort the mission and return to base.

 

Anna gritted her teeth and took a minute to get her temper under control. Then she typed rapidly on the keyboard.

Carlos paced angrily. “Why didn't Admiral Ito tell Grover to back off? This is stupid.”

“I don't have the Admiral's support anymore. He won't undermine us like Grover, but he won't protect us anymore either.”

“Because of Jill?”

“The only think between me and captaining a garbage scow is the good will of the Giganteans.”

“So that's why the meetings earlier on this trip. They have you at their beck and call.”

Anna sighed. “Pretty much.”

“So what do we do about this message?”

“You haven't seen this message yet. Probably our communication system was damaged when we went through an ionized particle burst. That can happen. In fact, it can often put a ship's communication system down for days.”

“Anna, I can't disobey a direct order.”

“You're not going to. You'll be aboard The Mariner and won't know about it. We are close enough to the dark matter for The Mariner to get there on her own, go through the wormhole and come out. Then The Explorer will have to rescue us. In the meantime, you are to heave to and do repairs. The Explorer's next communication to ISC in three days time will state that communication systems were down, but The Explorer has now received their message and needs clarification on what should done because The Mariner has already entered the wormhole.”

“Holy shit, Anna, you're nuts! So far you've been killed on every attempt in the simulator.”

“Alrick and Toda are coming up with some new ideas. Toda and Jill can test them out in the simulator as we head to the dark matter. If they can't find a system that works, we'll abort and head back.”

Carlos stood with his hands on his hips looking at the carpet for a few seconds. Then he met Anna's eyes. “Okay. I'm in. The DMC always rides the edge, why should this mission be any different. How are we going to undermine the communication system?”

“I already have. I sent a communication overload through the system. A continuous loop that will repeat Grover's message over and over until the system crashes. It happened as soon as we tried to open the message.”

Carlos laughed. “You're nuts!”

“Must be to hang out with a guy like you. Let team A know we'll be leaving 2000 hours.”

 

To the Beginning of Time

 

Anna returned to her quarters feeling dead tired and on overload. She had to give the news to Jill and that wasn't going to be easy. Jill had just shared a very personal and emotional part of her life and her emotions were likely still raw. And although broken bones healed very quickly with advanced nano treatment, Jill was still in some discomfort.

Jill met her at the door, standing with the support of a cane.

“Should you be walking so soon?” Anna asked, giving Jill a kiss and a hug as soon as the hatch closed behind her.

“I saw Dr. Barr this afternoon and he said that I'm making excellent progress and I can use a cane for short distances now. I should be fine for walking in several days, but I can't run or do leg presses for a month.”

“Good. We need to talk, but first I need a shower and some food.”

“I'll order dinner while you shower.”

“I'll be out as quickly as I can.”

Anna showered, changed, and got her travel bag ready. It didn't take long. I f there was one thing she'd learned from her years in the ISC, it was how to be packed and be ready to go in minutes. She left her bag in their bedroom and joined Jill in their living space.

A half hour later, Anna sat beside Jill, playing with the last of the chicken teriyaki Jill had ordered from the mess. It was one of the advantages she really enjoyed about being aboard The Explorer. Senior officers could have their meals delivered to their quarters and the food was so much better than what could be prepared aboard The Mariner.

“So, you ready to talk?”

“This is off the record and you never heard it. I got a memo from Grover. He'd read the daily transmitted reports and feels that I've lost control of the crew because of the sabotage incidents. He's ordered The Explorer to abort the mission and return to base.”

“That bastard! That is so untrue. You can't let him do this, Anna. What are you going to do?”

Anna smiled. “The Explorer is shutting down for repairs. It seems there is a communication system overload and we didn't get Grover's message before The Mariner entered the wormhole. Team A is going to leave aboard The Mariner in five hours.”

“But Anna, we've never been successful in the simulator.”

“I know. That's why I want you and Toda working around the clock in the simulator trying to find the answer. You've got 48 hours. If you haven't found a successful approach by the time Mariner reaches the wormhole, we'll turn back.”

“Promise?”

“My word.”

“You know Toda and I will give it our all.”

“I've no doubt about that. Jill, I hate to leave you now. You need my support and instead I'm asking you to take on an assignment in the simulator that could re-injure your leg.”

Jill smiled. “I'll be worried sick while you're away, but at least now I can be doing something positive to help. You are the Commodore of the DMC and that always comes first. Don't you worry about me, I'll be fine and you have my full support.”

Anna got up and hugged Jill. “You are amazing. How about I spend the next few hours showing you just how much I love you?”

“I love that you want to spend these last few hours with me but you have lots of things to do. I have to find Toda and Erickson and find out what they have being working on. I want a lot more from you than a few hours so getting you back in good shape is essential.”

Anna smiled. “I hate it when you pull rank on me. Use your wheelchair if you are going down to Engineering.”

Jill gave Anna a long kiss and hug. Each knew it could be for the last time and they held on not wanting to let go.

“Come back to me.”

“That will be my top priority. I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

 

 

 

Five hours later, Anna climbed down the conning tower into The Mariner and moved forward to the bridge. The rest of the skeleton crew were already on board.

“Commodore on the bridge!” Carlos called, and her crew stood and saluted. Anna came to attention and returned the salute. The gesture was not a matter of protocol, it had been done to show solidarity and respect. It filled Anna with confidence and pride.

“As you were. This is a very dangerous mission. We won't take any stupid risks but we will put balls to the wall,” Anna stated, using an old jet pilot expression for moving the joystick hard forward. “I couldn't have a better crew for this mission. Let's get the job done.”

Anna put her right fist over her heart and pounded her chest. The others followed suit. “Dark Matter Corps! Dark Matter Corps! Dark Matter Corps!”

“Captain Garcia, get The Mariner on her way.”

“Aye, aye, Com. Mariner to Explorer. Requesting removal of ground blocks and jet covers.”

“Ground crew has been deployed. Stand by.”

While they waited for the ground crew to make sure The Mariner was ready for launch, Carlos went through the flight check list with Aja and Alrik sat at the Engineering centre checking readouts. Anna busied herself with navigational coordinates.

“Explorer to Mariner. The ground crew has given the all clear. You are ready to launch.”

“Roger that. Bringing systems online. Request that hangar be depressurized.”

“Depressurization under way.”

Anna felt herself float for a brief second before Mariner's artificial gravity took over. “Navigation coordinates approved and ready for input, Aja.”

“Aye, aye, Com.”

“Explorer to Mariner. Depressurization complete.”

“Request that cargo bay doors be opened,” Carlos said.

“Roger. Stand by. Doors opened and locked. You are ready for launch, Mariner. Good Voyage.”

“Thank you, Explorer. We'll see you in a few days.”

Anna felt the slight pitch and roll as the Mariner lifted off the cargo bay deck and moved forward out into space. They drifted forward slowly for ten minutes making sure they were well clear of The Explorer.

“Main engine thrust in three minutes, Alrik.”

“Standing by, Captain.”

“Ignite.”

Acceleration forces pushed them all back in their seats as The Mariner gained speed pushing the small craft almost to the speed of light. Thirty minutes went by.

“Cruising velocity reached,” Aja stated.

“MECO,” Carlos ordered. The main engines cut off and acceleration stopped. They felt for a second weightlessness as if they'd just plunged in an elevator, then they settled back in their seats.

Anna looked up from her console. “Get us in contact with the simulator crew, Carlos. We have time to run a few programs with them before we need to do a navigation correction.”

“Aye, aye, Com.”

“Mariner to Simulator Team B.”

“Team B standing by. We'll be with you until 2400 hours then team C will take over.”

Anna nodded. The two remaining teams would do twelve hour shifts until they returned. It was a tough schedule but no harder than the one they would have to keep. Team B was headed by Justice Moshapa. First officer was Toda and Evmon and Jill made up the rest of the crew. Team C was led by Adam Wiseman, his first officer was Sue Lai and the crew was made up of Explorer personnel, Betty Wheeler and Rob Polinski. Anna felt confident that if there was a safe way into the wormhole and back again, they would find it.

Twenty hours later, Anna was just slipping into her jumpsuit when there was a knock at her quarter's hatch.

Anna did up her zipper and went over to open the hatch. Crewman Aja Sur stood on the other side looking like he'd been dragged through a black hole backwards.

“You look like hell. What's up?”

“Sorry about my appearance, Commodore.”

Anna smiled. “Forget it. What's going on?”

“I have the answer. I was on the graveyard shift and so had many hours alone to think and suddenly I remembered what Sue Lai had told me about Taoism. In Taoism the path of non-action leaves nothing undone. They believe you can't force the universe into the shape you want that you must allow it to unfold as it should.”

“I see. And this is going where?”

“We have been trying to fly into the wormhole in our simulations. We are forcing our will on a greater concept. As soon as I realized this, I contacted Team B and got them all out of bed. We worked on it all night. And we've got it! In four of our simulations, we went into the wormhole settled to the bottom and then flew out. Four!”

“And the other simulations?”

“The other nine do not matter. They didn't work.”

Anna laughed. “I think I'd better have a talk with Justice. Aja, well done. I'm impressed. Better try to get some sleep now. We are going to need you well rested and ready to sit at the helm.”

“Aye, aye, Commodore.”

Anne went forward to the bridge and sat in the command seat. She smiled a greeting at Carlos who was sitting at the helm. “Did Aja tell you?”

“Aja has told the world as far as I know,” Carlos laughed. “He's really excited.”

“And well he should be. It was a brilliant quantum leap.” Anna opened the communication channel.

“The Mariner to Explorer. Mariner to Explorer.”

“The Explorer here.”

“This is Commodore Cyborn. Patch me through to Commander Moshapa in Engineering.”

“Yes, sir.”

A sleep voice yawned a greeting. “Jill here, Anna. Have you talk to Aja?”

“I have. Where's Justice?”

“Asleep. A supernova couldn't wake him at the moment. But before he turned in, he assigned me to stay awake and wait for your hail. It's punishment for falling a sleep in the simulator last night,” Jill chuckled. “I have all our data here. Toda and Justice got it together because they knew you'd want it right away. It's on its way to you now. We did thirteen missions last night in the simulator and the last four were successes. It was a matter of allowing the wormhole to draw us in rather than flying in. We also had to make sure to come in at just the right trajectory. Today, you should be able to program a Minnow probe to send in tomorrow and see if it meets with success.”

“Excellent. How are you besides tired?”

“Missing you. Come back soon.”

“Will do. You know how I feel.”

“I do and I feel the same.”

“Thanks to everyone there.”

“Roger that.”

Anna leaned back and smiled. She was glad Justice was asleep and she got to talk to Jill. She looked over at Carlos who was smiling broadly.

“What?”

“You sure got a way with words, Com.”

“It's an open line.”

Carlos just laughed.

 

 

 

They had worked all day programming the probe and getting it ready for launch. Now they waited on the bridge listening to the elongated deep tone that was actually high bleeps sent by the probe and stretched by space/time. Two hours passed, then three. They waited. No one was willing to leave the bridge until they knew the probe's fate. Then suddenly it was spinning out toward them.

“Alrik, try to get that probe under control. Carlos, take the helm and bring us around. Aja, take an ISM and retrieve the probe. I don't want to run any risk of it damaging this craft. I'll see to getting Aja launched and stand by for reentry procedure,” Anna said. Everyone took off in various directions to see that Anna's orders were carried out. Carlos took over the helm, Alrik went to communication to write the commands necessary to bring the probe to a full stop and Anna and Aja headed aft to prepare a Individual Space Module for launch.

Two hours later, everyone sat around the table in the common room going over the data the probe had gathered.

“Carlos?”

“The probe shows some heat burn but well within the structural limits of The Mariner. I noted pitting. Closer examination showed mineral particles. The wormhole is chock full of space debris. We'll get sandpapered. Again we can handle that but if we do encounter a larger piece of space debris, it will be game over.”

“Alrik?”

“According to my calculations we'll experience about six Gs. The Mariner can handle up to twenty without structural damage. The original Apollo astronauts handled six Gs without too much difficulty.”

“Aja?”

“The probe's navigational program worked flawlessly and can easily be modified to handle the weight and size of The Mariner. The probe data does seem in line with the data sent on the simulations.”

“Carlos, what do you think?”

“The crew and ship are ready but this is a high risk mission. I'm not ordering the crew in. We all agree or we turn back.”

Anna nodded. “Agreed.”

“I'm in,” Carlos stated.

Sur nodded. “I want to be there first to see if this region of space needs protecting. I'm willing to go.”

Alrik looked up from his notes. “I was dead set against this mission. I'm still not sure the ISC should be exploring this region but Aja is right, better us than anyone else. I'm in.”

That left it to Anna. Surprisingly, she was the one who hesitated the most. She was ultimately responsible for the crew and ship. But the real reason was she didn't want to die, not now when she and Jill had found something special. She had so much more to lose this year than she did last year.

“Commodore?” Carlos asked.

“We're here to explore. Let's get the job done.”

 

Journey to the Other Side

 

Anna showered and dressed in a fresh jumpsuit. Then she used her private communication device to contact Jill. It was to be used for top secret communication only, but Anna, like many commanding officers, felt that a personal message could fit into this category with a push.

“Hi, love.”

“Hi, sweetheart.”

“The mission is a go. We'll be dropping inside the wormhole at 1400 hours.”

“So soon?”

“There is no point in waiting.”

“I'm scared for you.”

“I know. It's easier to be the person on the mission than the one left behind. Thanks for all your help. Feel my arms around you.”

Jill's voice was rough with emotion. “Be safe. Come back to me.”

“I'll do my very best. I have to go. I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

Anna swallowed back her own tears and squaring her shoulders, she left her quarters to head up to the bridge. The crew were all in their places. Was she the only one who needed to say goodbyes?

“In a little while we'll be travelling to the very edge of the universe. Millions of light years from our homes. We might not be coming back, but we'll have pushed the door a little wider on the beauty and mystery of this vast universe. We are no different from those brave few who climbed aboard sailing ships and ventured beyond the edge of the known world. This mission is dangerous but it is also a privilege and a duty that we of the DMC will live up to. I'm honoured to be serving with you.

“Carlos, you are to send datastream packages to The Explorer every five minutes. Alrick, you're in charge of engineering issues. Aja, you have the helm. I'll take the science desk and gather the data for Carlos. Captain Garcia, take us in.”

“Aye, aye, Com. Helm put in the coordinates and bring us on course to enter the dark matter.”

“Yes, sir. Course entered. Entering dark matter in five, four , three , two , one.”

“The wormhole is on target,” Anna reported.

“In twenty seconds cut engines, Alrick.”

“Yes, Captain.”

“Three, two, one. Now.”

“MECO. Engines offline.”

“Strap yourselves in and hold on tight, gentlemen. This could be quite a ride,” Anna stated, as she made sure she was secured in her seat.

They sat quietly waiting as The Mariner drifted slowly towards the wormhole pulled by its powerful forces. Then suddenly, Anna's world smeared into a straight line and she felt the G-force pushing so hard against her chest that she could barely breath. She felt herself getting dizzy and nauseous. Suddenly, she was nearly blinded by a bright, white light. A second later they slammed to a jarring stop.

Anna blinked then squinted her eyes against the dazzling light that surrounded them. The whole bridge glowed with it, draining other colour from the room. Anna checked her suit gauge. No sign of a radiation leak. Atmosphere seemed stable.

“Condition and status report,” she managed to say through a parched, dry throat.

Alrick reported in first. “I'm shook up but okay. We've crashed, Com. Stern first which means propulsion has probably taken a beating. I can't verify anything. All instruments are offline. I don't even know if the fuselage has maintained integrity.”

Anna unbuckled herself and sat up slowly. Every muscle in her body ached and blood seeped from her nostrils. She wiped the blood away with her sleeve.

“Communication systems are down, Commodore,” Aja reported. He was examining Carlos who sat slumped in his seat. “I feel bruised but I'm okay. Helm isn't responding and Captain Garcia was hit in the head by some debris during the crash. He's coming around now.”

Anna walked over and squatted down by Carlos's command chair. “Eh, Carlos, you okay?”

Carlos reached up groggily and rubbed the back of his head. “Yeah, just got my bell rung. Status report?”

“We hit bottom. Hard. Everything is offline. The good news is the bridge seems to be maintaining integrity,” Anna told him.

“What's that light?”

“Don't know but we need to find out. Let's see what we can do to get a few things up and running.”

 

Aja looked over at Anna. “I don't understand. Nothing seems to be the matter and yet nothing will work.”

“Alrick, have we lost all power?”

“No, Commodore. I can't detect a drain anywhere.”

Carlos looked up from the command panel. “I'm thinking it's a damper field. Something is blocking all our instrumentation. Maybe it's this white light. It seems to be glowing through the fuselage.”

Anna nodded grimly. They were trapped. She had barely formulated this thought when the bottom fell out of her world. Her last thought was that she felt like she was dropping through a well of white light.

 

 

 

Carlos stood on a mesa looking out over the vast plains of New Mexico. He turned and realized that he was on the edge of a Pueblo village. The sun-baked brick dwellings rose in several terraces. They were without windows or doors. Wood pole ladders leaned against the side to allow access through the trap door in the roof. Carlos knew his mother was part Acoma, one of the many Pueblo clans. The Acoma, Hopi, Lagua, Zuni and others were descendents of the Anasazi whose ancient cliff dwellings still amazed people today.

A warrior dropped down in front of him from the roof of the building beside him.

“Here are your weapons, brother. Today, we will find and kill an antelope for our families. I feel it in my blood.”

Carlos, frowned in confusion. He didn't know this man and he was speaking in an ancient tongue that Carlos shouldn't be able to understand and yet he could.

“Come, brother. Why do you wait?”

Carlos smiled at the young man. For now it was better to follow the warrior's lead until he knew more. “Then let's hunt.”

Carlos allowed the warrior to lead the way down the steep sides of the mesa. They descended carefully, finding the small foot holes that had been carved in the cliff face. Once on the bottom, Carlos looked around. The sky seemed endless and the air fresh and clean. He felt very happy and strangely at home in this new world. Suddenly realization set in. Is this real? Am I with my ancestors? Have I been transported into the past?

 

 

 

Aja found himself in Paradise. Or at least what he thought a paradise should look like. He lay on a sun-drenched rock beside a clear brook tumbling its way around rocks. On each side of the brook was a tropical forest. Orchids of all colours grew on tree trunks and logs. The air was heavy with their perfume. Yellow sulphur butterflies wove patterns through the foliage and magnificently coloured birds swooped through the branches. Aja got to his feet and looked closely. No trodden paths, no rubbish left behind, the water was clear and fresh and the foliage thick and healthy . Where was this place? Aja explored up and down the steam, careful not to do any damage to the pristine world around him. He came around a bend in the brook and stopped in surprise. There laying out a picnic was the girl who had lived down the street from him as a child. They had been friends growing up and Aja would have liked to make her his wife but her parents had arranged a different marriage for her.

“Come Aja, you must be hungry.”

Am I dreaming?

 

 

 

Alrik felt cold. He shivered and opened his eyes to snow. Struggling to his feet, he looked around him. He stood on a hillside. Below him, a pine forest spread out around a small quaint village. Smoke rose from the chimneys. He knew this place. It was the village where his grandparents had lived. He had spent many happy hours here until his parents had separated. Then his mother had taken him to live in the city. He had never seen his father or his father's parents again.

A noise behind him made him turn. A small herd of reindeer grazed on cedar brush. They didn't seem the least afraid of him. Alrik, slid and ran down the hillside to his grandparent's home and knocked on the door.

His grandmother opened the door. She hadn't changed from how he remembered her all those years ago.

“Alrik! Where have you been all this time? Come in out of the cold and sit by the fire. I have a big pot of soup on the stove and fresh bread in the oven. Come in, come in.”

Alrik stepped into the warm, wood home, letting the scent of fresh bread and hot stew fill his senses. My God, I must be dead!

 

 

 

Anna smelled dust, sweat and leather. Her world moved beneath her and she realized that she sat in a saddle slumped over a horse's neck. She straightened up and looked around her. A high mesa stood on the horizon and buttes carved by the snow and wind formed majestic sculptures on the landscape. One outcrop had eroded into a beautiful arch. She watched as a hawk circling overhead trailed a shadow that drifted like a ghost over the rock face. This looks like New Mexico. That doesn't seem possible. She urged her horse forward and rode down into a long canyon, enjoying the stark beauty around her. A while later, Anna heard the echo of a galloping horse and turned to see Jill riding up. But it wasn't Jill as she knew her. It was someone much older.

“What are you doing out here? Looking for shape-changers?” the old woman laughed. “Come on, the family is waiting for us.”

“I'll be along in a minute,” Anna stated, and watched as the woman turned her horse and rode away.

This isn't illogical. She tried to access her memory banks. Nothing. They weren't there. Then she became aware of her pounding heart. Not a pump. A heart. The shock of that realization made her heart beat faster and she put her hand on her chest to feel it. She was whole again.

Anna gave herself a mental shake. This isn't possible. I must be under the influence of some mind controlling drug. I'm hallucinating.

 

 

 

Aboard The Explorer, Commander Jane Hamilton cursed Carlos to a lower level of hell as she sat at her computer terminal trying to explain to Vice-Admiral Grover that the mission through the wormhole was now underway.

“I gave a direct order!” he boomed.

“Yes, sir. Unfortunately, your communication got caught in a looping sequence that crashed our entire communication system. It took us several days to boot it up again and by then The Mariner had already left on its mission.”

“Who's aboard?”

“Commodore Cyborn, Captain Garcia, Lieutenant Erickson, and Crewman Sur.”

“What have you heard from them?”

“We got a steady data flow for two days. For the last ten hours, we haven't heard anything but we do believe that their craft is intact and most likely through the wormhole. No automatic collision alert was sent.”

“There might not have been time.”

“A data package was sent only seconds before we lost contact. We are pretty confident that the ACA would have had time to send an alarm. We think the craft is intact and the crew alive.”

“If they are, what the hell is Cyborn up to then?”

“We have no idea, sir. We suspect that they have had a communication failure.”

“The DMC seems to be having a lot of convenient communication failures lately. Whatever their status, their lack of communication has to be taken seriously. We'll have to treat this as a disaster situation. You are ordered to proceed as close as possible and rescue any surviving crew. You have three weeks. Then you'll assume The Mariner and her crew are lost and return to star base. Before you do, deploy a location beacon for them so if they do show up after The Explorer has left, they can get a message to us. Understood?”

“Yes, sir.”

“What about this sabotage situation?”

“Commodore Cyborn handled the situation. There have been no further incidents.”

“Handled the situation? What the hell does that mean?”

“I don't know, sir.”

“Get back to me at regular intervals.”

“Yes, sir,” Jane responded, but Grover had already signed off.

Jane found Justice, Toda and Jill down in the simulator in engineering.

“Can I get an update?”

Toda wiggled out of the simulator and straightened, towering over Jane. Not for the first time, Jane thought it was a very good thing that Giganteans were pacifists. Jill pushed her way out of the simulator and sat down on the steps. She looked pale and shaky. Jane knew she was worried about Anna but the doctor had also sent her a report that Jill had requested pain killers. Being bounced around for hours in the simulator so soon after she had broken her leg was taking a toll.

Lastly Justice slipped out. He sighed. “There is nothing to report. We have been through every possible simulation that we can imagine and none gives us the results we are seeing.”

“So what are you seeing in the data?”

It was Toda that answered. “The Mariner crashed. She didn't impact into the side of the vortex, she hit something at the bottom. She should have been flattened by the forces but she isn't. She's sitting intact on the bottom according to her last communication. We don't understand what is going on because by all the laws of physics, there can't be a bottom in a wormhole. It's simply not possible.”

“Could the dataflow have been inaccurate?”

Justice answered. “No. The data was accurate up to the last communication. What's happened since then we don't know.”

“Could the craft have crashed, sat on the bottom a few minutes and then imploded under the stress?”

“Yes,” Jill said sadly.

“But we don't think so,” Justice added quickly.

“Why?”

“There was no ACA given off. No energy signature. No nothing,” Justice explained.

“Would the wormhole allow for such signs to reach us?”

“Wormholes are supposed to be two-way channels. Yes, we should have seen something if The Mariner had met with a disaster.”

“Keep working on it. The Explorer has been ordered to move closer to rescue any survivors.”

“Roger that.”

Jane didn't voice what she was thinking. If a wormhole could have a bottom in it, it also could only go one way.

 

 

 

They searched for the next eighteen days. Slowly doing large sweeps back and forth across the possible exit paths that The Mariner might have taken. Down in Engineering, Justice, Toda and Jill worked night and day on possible scenarios and Wiseman, Sue, Bet and Rob tested them in the simulator.

On the evening of the eighteenth day, Justice asked to see Jane in The Explorer's ready room.

“Hi. What is it, Justice?” Jane asked as they took seats.

“It is not good news, Jane. It's a bit detailed to explain but basically we sent both a transmission and a receiver to The Mariner. I wanted to know if The Mariner was there and hearing us. The message came back. The Mariner can hear us. They could respond but they haven't.”

Jane sighed. “So they are either dead or not aboard The Mariner.”

“Yes.”

“Does Jill know?”

“Yes. She's upset but continuing to work on possible solutions.”

“Do you have anything?”

“I did consider taking a ISM in to see what is going on down there. I reasoned that the probe was able to get in and out so maybe the ISM would be small enough to do the same.”

Jane frowned. “Are the ISMs designed to withstand that sort of speed or pressure?”

“We tested it and the answer is no. An ISM can't make it.”

Jane rubbed her lip with a finger and considered. “Could we send another probe in? One with a camera?”

“It's possible. But all we'd learn is what we know now. The Mariner is down there.”

Jane nodded. “Keep me posted. In the meantime, I need a rescue beacon readied for deployment.”

“I'll get Toda working on it.”

 

 

 

At 0200 hours, Jane woke from a restless sleep to the sound of her intercom bleeping.

“Commander Hamilton. This is Captain Moshapa in Engineering. The Mariner is gone.”

“What do you mean gone?”

“It's no longer there.”

“Disintegrated?”

“No debris.”

“She flew out!” Jane sprang to her feet in excitement and hope.

“Negative. There is no ion trail.”

“Then they didn't use propulsion. You know how damn resourceful Anna is. Get Jill and I'll meet you on the bridge.”

“Okay, Jane.”

“Hamilton to the bridge.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Sound general alert. The Mariner is out there and we have less than forty-eight hours to find her.”

“Aye, aye, Commander!”

Later, Jill paced the bridge as Jane had The Explorer repeating her search pattern. Justice stood nearby looking at the viewing screen of the dark mass lying a thousand nautical miles away . How do you find a needle in a haystack? Then suddenly, he knew. “Request that you bring The Explorer to a full stop, Commander.”

“Full stop, Helm,” Jane ordered.

 

 

 

Anna woke to darkness and cold. She had a sense of real sorrow that made the tears roll down her face. She had been confused and yet so happy and content in the other world. Where was she now?

Slowly, she sat up. She was on the bridge of The Mariner. Her crew lay about her, slowly coming around. Anna staggered to her feet and checked her instrument panel. They had life support but not much else.

She went to Carlos first. “How're you doing?”

“I'm so sad now.”

“Are you hurt?”

“No, I'm fine.”

“We're on The Mariner. Aja, Alrik, are you two okay?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Yes, Com.”

“Did you hallucinate, Carlos?”

“Yes, I was with my ancestors and I was going out to hunt with my brother. I was so at peace and happy. I thought I was seeing the past.”

“I was in Sweden again at my grandparents' home. I too felt so at peace and happy there. But my grandparents are dead so I thought I was dead, too.”

“Aja?”

“I was in a tropical paradise with...with an old childhood friend. I was very happy there. I thought I was dreaming. Then I realized that I was in paradise. I have seen the other side.”

Anna frowned. “What?”

“You call it heaven.”

“Aja, I don't think...”

“He's right,” cut in Carlos. “I too was in paradise, heaven, whatever you want to call it. I met my ancestors. I know I did.”

“And I was with my grandparents. I saw them. It was heaven.”

“Gentlemen, it's likely we've come in contact with a vastly superior race that has given each of us the experiences that we most desire. It was wonderful but it was an illusion. Look around you. We are still aboard The Mariner.”

There was silence aboard The Mariner. Each of them turned to their consoles not willing to accept what they had experienced might just have been an illusion.

“Commodore. The Mariner is adrift in space. Eight hundred nautical miles outside the dark mass,” Aja observed.

“How'd we get here?”

“Not by propulsion. The engines are offline,” Alrik stated.

“We got to see our dearest dreams and we were also returned safely to our own time and place,” Carlos stated.

“God,” Aja stated. “It was God's hand.”

Again they fell silent. Each trying to make sense of what they had experienced.

It was Anna who brought everyone back to the matter at hand. “It is not for us to interpret what we experienced. Only report it. We might not be able to agree on what we experienced, but I think we can all agree that this region of space should be a no-fly area. If we say we've touched the face of God, we'll have every crackpot religious fanatic trying to get here. I think it's best that we put a spin on the facts that is entirely different. Our ship was seized by a powerful, unseen force and was hurled back into space. During that time, we experienced realities that had deep spiritual significance to each of us as they were based on what we wanted the most. Agreed?”

“Yes, Commander.”

“Aye, aye.”

“Yes, Com but we did see paradise, this I know.”

Anna nodded. “I hope you are right, Aja. If you are, we have experienced something very profound and beautiful. Now we need to get this tub up and running and get a message to The Explorer.”

“Anna?”

“What is it, Carlos?”

“We've been gone almost three weeks.”

“What?”

“I checked. We've been gone nineteen days.”

“My...experience was only a matter of minutes.”

Everyone nodded.

“We must have been thrown ahead in time.”

“Maybe,” muttered Carlos, but no one believed it. In their hearts they knew what they'd experienced. They had been in a wonderful place where time had no meaning. It could never be understood with logic.

“Let's get to work,” Anna stated, and she turned to her own computer console.

The hours ticked on. Anna worked on rebooting any system that was still operational. Alrick went down to Engineering and found the propulsion systems were badly damaged. Bringing the engines online would not be possible without major refitting inside a cargo bay. Justice reported their long range communication system was completely fried after a massive overload, but that they could manage a ship-to-ship communication. Aja discovered that there was enough power to launch a small distress beacon. This they did.

Then they filled in their time gathering and recording data with the remaining functional equipment. Their only hope would be The Explorer finding them, a daunting task.

That evening, they sat around the common room table reviewing their days efforts while they ate dinner.

“I think we've done all we can. We'll just have to wait for The Explorer to find us,” Anna concluded with more confidence than she actually felt. She had no doubt The Explorer had been looking for them, but three weeks was the traditional time allotted for a search and they were very close to the end of that.

“We could pray,” Carlos said and the others nodded.

“Pray? I didn't know you were particularly religious, Carlos,” Anna said.

“I haven't been but I do believe we're sitting near the entrance to a spiritual place. I think we all felt something very special while we were in that wormhole.”

Anna nodded. She didn't understand what she'd experienced but she knew that she had experienced something very wonderful and profound. “We all have different beliefs and world views. I'll take the first bridge watch, then Alrik, Carlos, and Aja. In the meantime, I think Captain Garcia has made a good point. We've done our duty and faith in our being rescued is what we have left. You might want to adjourn to your cabins for some quiet prayer or meditation.”

“Thank you, Commodore.”

 

Faith and Duty

 

“I suggest that we sweep space with a microwave beam. We should be able to pick up a shadow echo if it passes over The Explorer,” Justice explained.

“And every other piece of space debris,” Jane noted.

“Yes, but with a wormhole being so close, it's gobbled up a lot of the nearby debris already. There can't be a lot out there. If we note the location of the large stuff, we can go take a look.”

Jane nodded. “It's worth a try. Jill, can you and Toda get us set up for such a scan?”

“I'm on my way to Engineering. Could you have Toda meet me there?”

“Will do.”

 

Jane looked at Toda. “If this doesn't work, we are not leaving. I figure the three weeks search procedure started today when we knew they were out of the hole.”

Justice smiled. The DMC did things their own way.

 

 

 

Anna sat on the bridge. She had never thought about God before. It had never been part of her early training. She knew, of course, the fundamentals of the major religions. It was required reading in officer's training so as not to give offence. But she had never felt spirituality on a personal level. Yet, like the rest of the crew, she had felt something, something so much more than a hallucination: a peace, an understanding, a feeling of completeness. Now her crew were in their separate rooms praying, she supposed, in their various cultural ways. What did they pray? Probably to get them out of this fix. Maybe forgiveness in case there was no rescue. What would she pray? She'd pray for some insight, some way to get The Explorer's attention.

Anna sighed. The beacon was the best they could do. God, if you have any answers, I need them now. This is my ship and my crew. They are good people and I don't want to lose them.

Anna stood. She knew the answer. She knew how to be found. Anne reached for the intercom.

“All hands to the bridge. All hands to the bridge.”

The crew arrived within a few minutes.

“Carlos, do you think Jane has stopped looking for us?”

“No way.”

“Neither do I. So I asked myself, if you had a massive expanse of space to search and only limited time, what would you do?”

It was Alrik who answered. “Send out some sort of search beam.”

“Exactly. And it will be on a microwave frequency.”

“How do you know that?” Carlos asked.

Anna smiled. “God told me.”

Carlos shrugged. “Works for me.” And the crew laughed.

“Okay, how do we get noticed by that beam?”

“Make ourselves bigger,” Sur stated.

“A debris field. We need a debris field.,” Alrik said excitedly.

“But then they will think we have exploded,” Sur protested.

“They'll come and look anyway.”

“What do you think, Captain Garcia?” Anna asked.

“Aye, aye, Commodore. Alrik get the torpedo tubes ready, Sur you and I are going to collect everything that isn't nailed down to blast out into space. Commodore, could you hold the bridge?”

“Yes. Let's make it happen, gentlemen.”

While Anna scanned for signs of The Explorer and worked on trying to get more of the systems functioning, her crew blasted as much carbon-based material as they could out into space. Then they waited. Each kept busy working to get the systems up that they knew in their hearts were not going to run. Keeping busy was important. Never giving up was essential.

 

 

 

On the bridge of The Explorer, the search for The Mariner continued. After scanning space for ten hours they had located and charted three meteorites and a dust cloud. Jill stood close to Toda who rested one of his massive hands on her shoulder. Waiting was not easy.

“Commander Hamilton, I have a debris field,” stated Crewman Bet Wheeler. “Seventeen hundred nautical miles from here. Coordinates 472.23, 230.81, 90.65.”

“Composition?”

“Carbon-based.”

“Helm, take us there.”

“Aye, aye, Commander.”

“I do not think they would disintegrate if they were able to get out of the wormhole,” Toda observed.

Jill smiled. “They didn't. Anna's dumped a trail to make a bigger target for us to find. She knew we'd use a beam.”

“How do you know this, Little One?”

“I just do. They're okay and they're waiting for us.”

Jane looked at Toda but said nothing. She hoped that Jill's confidence was well-founded.

Seventeen minutes later, The Explorer slowed within a hundred nautical miles of the debris field.

“Periscope up. Image on screen,” Jane ordered. There before them in a large circle of debris sat The Mariner. She looked worse for wear but she was intact.

The comm system crackled. “The Mariner to Explorer. Mariner to Explorer.”

“Hello, Commodore. How is your situation?”

“We're all okay but The Mariner has taken quite a beating. We have no propulsion. Request that Explorer provide assistance.”

“Aye, aye, Commodore. We're on our way. Glad to have you back.”

 

 

 

Anna stood on her bridge. She should feel happy but instead she felt a great sorrow like something very beautiful that had settled in her soul had fluttered away. She looked around the quiet deck at the bleak faces of her crew and knew they felt the same.

“We are members of the Dark Matter Corps. It is in the DMC where we belong for now. Our duty is to do what we can to protect this area of space. Our feelings must be kept secret and our thoughts must be filtered in an appropriate manner. Agreed?”

“Yes, Commodore.”

“Aye, Aye, Com.”

“Agreed, Commodore Cyborn.”

“Good. We came in contact with a vastly superior being that held us for some time keeping us occupied by pleasant hallucinations or dreams. We were eventually released unharmed, but our ship was left inoperable except for life support systems. We strongly advise that this dark mass and the wormhole associated with it be declared a no-fly zone. It was not possible to get through to the other side. It was not our time.”

“Amen,” whispered Carlos.

 

 

 

Five hours later, The Mariner was wrenched in on a tow line that had been attached to the Mariner with an EVA mission.

Jill, Jane and Justice came out into the hangar as soon as the bay doors had closed and the atmospheric pressure had been stabilized. A quiet, tired crew disembarked The Mariner to shake hands and offer well wishes.

Anna wrapped Jill in her arms and held her tight for a few seconds before letting go to address the group.

“Commander Hamilton, Captain Moshapa, thank you. My crew and I are going to take some much needed R&R for twenty-four hours. In the meantime, set a course for Space Port Gagarin”

“Yes, Commodore.”

Jill led Anna back to their quarters and together they undressed, showered and crawled into bed together.

“I missed you,” Jill sighed snuggling close.

“I missed you, too.”

“You want to tell me about it? Whatever happened out there has clearly upset you all.”

“Jill, do you believe in God?”

“Yes, I guess I do. I was raised a Lutheran but I stopped going to church after we left New Mexico. I don't feel any need to worship within an organized religion but I pray sometimes when I need guidance, or to say thank you for a blessing. Why?”

“Faith was not part of my background. I studied religious beliefs in my training but I never gave it much thought. This mission we all had a really moving experience. The others think we experienced something like heaven. I don't know, Jill. I'm just confused about the whole experience but I do know I experienced something wonderful.”

“Tell me about it.”

So Anna did as they lay in each others arms. “Whatever I experienced, you were with me and that is all that matters.”

“I like a happy ending,” Jill smiled and then leaned over to kiss Anna. Warm hands explored Anna's body as the kiss deepened to passion. Jill's tongue slipped between Anna's open lips and Anna moaned as skilled fingers touched her clitoris now wet with desire. Anna closed her eyes as kisses trailed down her body, lingering over her hard nipples and dipping into her navel before licking at the cream of her desire. Anna bucked with excitement and need but Jill teased and caressed her just enough to keep her on the brink of coming. When Jill finally did let her come, Anna's climax was wet, powerful and long-lasting. Afterward, Anna lay spent in Jill's arms.

“Missed me, eh?” Jill chuckled.

“You have no idea,” Anna smiled and then showed Jill just how much with her own love-making until they both lay spent side by side holding hands.

 

 

 

“You have no idea!” Vice-Admiral Grover roared as Anna stood at attention in front of him several months later. “How much trouble you might have caused by allowing yourself to be seen and held by these super-advanced beings. They could be planning an invasion of this quadrant at this very moment!

“Your role was to make careful and subtle observations and then get the hell out of there. If you knew you couldn't do that, you shouldn't have damn well flown in there. And don't give me this crap about not getting my message. I wasn't born yesterday. You and the DMC just feel you can bloody well do what you want!”

“Certainly not, sir. We endeavour to meet the goals and high standards you have set for us in forming the Dark Matter Corps. We realize that our group was formed to push the envelope and that sometimes means thinking more independently than other ships in the ISC. That's why you created our group, isn't it, sir?”

Grover's face was beet red with fury. “Get the hell out, Cyborn.”

“Yes, sir!” Anna saluted turned and left. There was no point in waiting for Grover to return the salute. It wasn't going to happen.

“How'd it go?” asked Jill, who had been waiting in the hall.

“The usual dressing down but at least he didn't threaten to make me captain of a garbage scow leaving the universe like Admiral Ito did.”

“You do have a winning way with people.”

“Just as long as you find me attractive that's all that matters.”

“You'll do for now, Commodore,” Jill teased, “But I do have my eye on this captain of a garbage scow...”.

 

A Dark Matter Aboard The Mariner: Mission 4

A Dark Matter Afoot

 

Jill stood in a quiet corner of the main hub of docking bay eighteen on Star Port Gagarin doing stretching exercises. She wore a track suit and runners as if she'd just come from the gym and had pulled the hood up on her sweat shirt. The space bus Traveller had docked half an hour ago and in a few minutes the passengers would be debarking. Jill looked again at the photo she'd been given of the young East Indian woman. Then she surveyed the flow of passengers coming through the doors. There she was. The woman was wearing blue jeans and a white t-shirt with an embroidered yoke. She carried a shoulder bag and had an overnight bag in her hand.

Jill wove her way through the crowd at a steady jog and bumped heavily into the woman knocking her carry on luggage from her hand.

“I'm so sorry! I wasn't watching where I was going!” Jill said, then whispered in the woman's ear as she helped her gather her bags. “If you want to marry Sur, take docking wing 27 and look for gate 47a.” The woman looked up at Jill in surprise, then she smiled and nodded once. Jill was gone before the woman could make any other response.

Sur was pacing in the hall when Jill jogged up.

“Well?”

“I gave her the message.”

“Did anyone see you?”

“Of course, she was in the main arrival lobby. I bumped into her in the crowd and whispered your message. She understood.”

“Where is she?”

“Aja, be patient. She has to pick up her luggage yet.”

“What if Habib meets her first?”

“Evmon will delay him. Relax.”

“I'm sorry. I'm so worried.”

“You're worried? When Anna finds out about this she is going to have me keelhauled.”

“What is that?”

“Roughly translated it's a slow death for undermining her authority yet again.”

“I'm so sorry, Jill, for getting you involved in this.”

“No you're not. You just feel guilty,” Jill laughed. “Look here she is.”

“Praveen!”

“Aja!”

The pair fell into each other's arms. Jill would have liked to have given them some privacy and time together but it was just not possible.

“Aja. Come on. We only have a few minutes.”

Aja nodded. “Come Praveen. We must hide you. There will be a search and they are sure to suspect me.”

The three conspirators hurried down the access arm and through the hatch that led to The Mariner's conning tower. Aja climbed down first to help Praveen. Jill came last. Adam Wiseman waited for them at the bottom.

“Have you heard from Evmon?” Jill asked, before she was off the last step.

“She'd sighted her target and was honing in on him. You know Evmon, she'll keep him talking for ages.”

“Good. That will buy us some time. This way, Praveen.”

Jill led the way back to engineering where Toda stood waiting.

“Oh this is so exciting! I feel like I'm a character in one of those romance novels.”

Everyone turned and looked at the massive Gigantean in surprise.

“Not that I read them very often.” He blushed.

Aja kissed Praveen goodbye. Toda picked the small-framed woman up and gentle placed her inside the Number One torpedo launch tube.

“It is disarmed, right?” Aga fretted.

“Disarmed and the launch mechanism removed,” Toda assured him. “Don't you worry, Aja, I will take care of your little star.”

Jill was pulling on Aja's sleeve. “Come on, we need to get you out of here.”

Jill and Aja hurried down the hall and climbed up the conning tower again. They crossed the access wing and quietly slipped aboard The Explorer working their way down to sickbay through the empty partially lit hallways. Sue was waiting for them.

“How did it go?”

“Like clockwork so far,” Jill smiled.

Sue picked up a small vial. “Down the hatch, Aja. Sorry about this but you know it's worth it.”

“Anything for Praveen,” Aja stated bravely and drank the mixture Sue had prepared.

“You'd better lie down. You'll be throwing up any minute now.”

Looking a bit green, Aja nodded and climbed onto the nearest bed. Sue passed him a kidney dish and towel before following Jill back out.

“Okay, I'm off to finish my jog.”

“Good luck, Jill.”

“I'm beyond luck. When Anna finds out what we've done my goose is cooked.”

Sue gave Jill a quick hug. “We're all behind you.”

Jill nodded and took off at a steady pace.

 

 

 

Anna was not smiling as she made her way from the briefing room in the Administration section of Star Port Gagarin and made her way to meet Jill. Vice-Admiral Grover had been particularly rude and grumpy at the meeting. Worse than that, some VIP passenger had managed to get themselves lost going from the star bus to the Galaxy Hotel and Grover had ordered a search.

He'd read the memo and then snarled at Anna, “Where the hell is she?”

“Pardon, sir?”

“Praveen Banik, what have you done with her?”

“Sir, I don't know anyone by that name.”

“Don't give me that, Cyborn. I have a note here from Habib Gouda. You know who he is don't you?”

“I understand he is with ISC Star Port Affairs and it's his job to inspect star ports and find ways to make them more cost-efficient.”

“He's also a damn VIP aboard this ship and Praveen Banik was on her way to marry him here. Suppose you tell me how she could have got lost getting off a damn star bus.”

“I have no idea, sir.”

“You don't?! Well, this memo says that one of your crew is a family enemy and might have taken her.”

“Who, sir?”

“Cadet Aja Sur.”

Anna felt a whiff of worry replacing her bewilderment. “Sir, Cadet Sur is a quiet, industrious crew member. I would be very surprised if he was involved in anything to do with this situation.”

“That had better be the case, Cyborn.” The briefing had gone down hill from there.

 

 

 

Anna found Jill in the gym area where they had agreed to meet. Jill was just changing into clean clothes having completed her run and had her shower.

“Hi.”

“Hi yourself.”

“We'll have to delay our breakfast at the Redstone Restaurant. There is a general alert. Someone has been reported missing,” Anna stated.

“How can you go missing on a star port?”

“Beats me. But Grover is on the warpath. All vessels are being searched and seeing ours will be leaving port tomorrow, we'll be one of the first to be inspected. Also, it seems Aja knew the missing person. I sure as hell hope he's not involved.”

“Any idea who's missing?”

“Praveen Banik. Seems she is engaged to the assistant to the minister of Star Port Affairs. The assistant's name is Habib Gouda. He's a bit of a golden boy, earmarked for greater things. He's got a lot of power in Star Port Affairs and Grover is running scared. Anyway, Praveen was to join him here and they were to be married. She was on the space bus but she never checked through customs. Her luggage was found in the washroom.”

“How strange.”

“One more headache for us. You can be sure Grover will use this as an excuse to tear The Mariner apart bolt by bolt. I want to be back on board before they finish searching the star port and start on the vessels.”

“Okay. I'm ready. Let's go.”

Anna smiled, pleased that Jill understood her need to be with her vessel during the search instead of enjoying a leisurely weekend breakfast .

They walked together back along the curved main hall of the lower ring of the star port until they got to docking bay section 27. Then they headed down to gate 47a to where The Mariner was docked. They found most of the crew already aboard.

“Commodore on deck!” Adam called. Toda and Evmon came to attention with him.

“As you were. We're expecting an inspection for a missing person. Go ahead with your mission preparations but when the Star Port Police arrive give them your complete cooperation. We don't want to ruffle the feathers of the SPP.”

“Aye, aye, Commodore,” Wiseman responded. “Captain Moshapa just left, Com. He's over with Sue and Aja aboard The Mariner. Aja has food poisoning and Sue is treating him down in their sick bay.”

Anna felt a flood of relief. If Aja was sick, he couldn't have been involved in Praveen Banik going missing. “How is he?”

“Sue said he'll be shaky but recovered enough to leave on the mission tomorrow.”

“Where's the ship's doctor?”

“The Explorer's crew are in the Gemini Lecture Hall hearing a talk on dark matter anomalies. They won't be back until 1000 hours.”

“Greenwood's lecture?”

“Yes, Com.”

Anna nodded. Her crew had not only heard the lecture but had provided material for it. She was pleased the captain of The Explorer, Carlos Garcia, and his first officer, Commander Jane Hamilton, were making sure that Mariner's support crew aboard The Explorer were well trained and informed. The two crews had formed an excellent working relationship. Much to Anna's surprise and delight The Explorer crew had requested the right to wear the uniform of the DMC after their first few missions together.

“It's the Space Port Police. Permission to board.”

“It didn't take them long,” said Anna, rolling her eyes. “Permission granted.”

Four Space Port Police, Vice-Admiral Grover, and an arrogant looking East Indian climbed down into The Mariner's common room.

Vice-Admiral Grover wheeled on Anna. “I'm asking you again, Cyborn, where is she?”

“I have no idea, sir.”

“Don't play dumb with me, Cyborn. Mister Habib Gouda tells me that your Crewman Aja Sur had a crush on Mr. Gouda's fiancee. If he's kidnapped her, with the DMC's help there will be hell to play.”

Anna bristled. “I would never allow my crew to be involved in such an undertaking, Admiral. I can assure you all my crew is present and accounted for, including Crewman Sur.”

“Where is he? I want to interrogate him myself.”

“He's being treated aboard The Explorer. He is down with a case of food poisoning.”

“Take us to him.”

“Yes, sir.”

Grover turned to one of the SPP. “Tear this vessel apart. If she's aboard. Find her! When I get back we'll get statements from the crew.”

“Yes, sir.”

Anna turned to Lt. Wiseman. “You're in command until Captain Moshapa returns. Allow the SPP full access but protect my ship. We have a mission to go on tomorrow.” Then she turned to Toda. “Standby in Engineering. Provide all assistance but protect the ship.”

“Aye, aye, Commodore.”

“This way, gentlemen,” Anna stated.

Anna led Grover and Gouda over to sickbay aboard The Explorer. Justice and Sue came to attention as they walked in. Aja lay in bed looking feverish and green.

“How is he?” Anna asked Sue.

“I've given him some meds but it will just have to work its way through his system. He's better now than he was.”

Anna turned to her First Officer. “Number One, our ship is being searched at the moment by the SPP. Would you go and offer assistance?”

“Aye, aye, Commodore.”

Anna led the way over to Aja's bed.

“Hi, Aja. No, don't try to get up. Can you answer some questions?”

“Yes, Commodore.”

“This is Vice-Admiral Grover and Mr. Gouda of the Star Port Ministry.”

“I know Habib,” Aja sneered.

“Where is my fiancee, Aja?”

“Praveen? I have no idea. What is going on?”

Grover gently pushed Gouda aside. “Crewman, how long have you been here.”

“I haven't left this area all day, sir. I've been here is sickbay for hours. I'm not sure just how long.”

“Chief?”

“Aja reported sick just after 1200 hours, Admiral.”

Gouda pushed forward again and grabbed Aja's arm shaking him. “You give her back, do you hear me! I know you have her! You will not humiliate me like this. I want her back!”

Aja leaned forward and threw up on Gouda's arm.

“Shit!” squealed Habib, stepping back in disgust.

“I'm sick.”

Anna tried not to laugh. She had taken a real dislike to Habib Gouda in a very short time. “Mr. Gouda, I think it would be best if you come over here and clean up. Then we'll leave. It's clear that Crewman Sur was in no condition to kidnap your fiancee. In fact, he was here with Chief Petty Officer Lai during the time that Miss Banik went missing.”

“I tell you it's a trick. He has her!” yelled Gouda, as he used water and paper towels to clean his jacket.

Admiral Grover looked embarrassed. He was not a man who liked scenes and any yelling that got done he preferred to do himself. “Calm down, Gouda. We'll find her. Come along.”

Anna turned back to Aja. “You take it easy and don't worry about this mess. You're in good hands.”

“How long before Aja will be fit for duty, Chief?”

“He's over the worst of it now. I think he'll probably be able to go back to The Mariner in a few hours and by tomorrow he'll be okay to resume duty.”

“Good.” Anna turned and left with Admiral Grover and an infuriated Habib Gouda.

The common room aboard The Mariner was crowded with frustrated people when they got back aboard The Mariner.

“We've done a careful search, sir. It's a very small craft and it would be impossible to hide anyone easily. This ship is clean.”

“Are you positive, Officer? Was the crew cooperative.”

“The crew was very cooperative, sir. They didn't refuse us access to any area. I'm positive there is no unauthorized personnel aboard this ship, Admiral Grover.”

“I want each member of the crew interrogated,” Gouda demanded.

“I give the orders around here, Mr. Gouda,” Grover growled. “Commodore, order your crew to sit down at the table so they can be questioned by the SPP while we listen.”

“Yes, sir. You heard the Admiral. Sit.”

The crew of The Mariner minus Sur and Aja, took seats around the table. The SPP officer took out his electronic data pad.

“I'd like each of you to tell me where you where between 1000 hours and 1200 hours today. Commodore?”

“I was receiving my instructions for the mission from Admiral Grover. It was while I was in his office that he was informed that Praveen Banik was missing. Mr. Gouda arrived and I was dismissed. I went down to the gym area to meet Ms. Jill Fairfax as we arranged. We had planned to have breakfast together but instead came directly back to The Mariner as I knew a search would take place and I wanted to be aboard my ship when that happened.”

“Captain Moshapa?”

“I was down in the supply area, arranging the last of the food and equipment delivery for our voyage. I was there, with Chief Petty Officer Wilson during the hours you mentioned. I then came back to The Mariner to be informed that Crewman Sur was ill and aboard The Explorer with Chief Lai. I went immediately to see how he was and was still there when the Admiral, Commodore Cyborn, and Mr. Gouda arrived.”

“Lt. Wiseman?”

“I was aboard The Mariner all morning reading through the data on the dark mass that we are to investigate on our up coming mission. I was working mostly on the bridge. During the time you mentioned I made several requests for more information from the ISC data library. The times of those requests should be on file if you need to verify my presence here.”

“Lt. Toda?”

“Well, I do like to give my baby a good once over before we go on a mission. You know The Mariner is a modified probe but she has taken to her new role very well. It is a strain on her though. I was in the process of cleaning and checking the torpedo tubes when Admiral Grover arrived.”

“You were aboard then the whole time?”

“Yes.”

“Lt. Barron?”

“I wasn't aboard. I lay in wait for Mr. Gouda. I had heard he was aboard you see. I'd read his paper on making Star Port communication and transportation systems more cost-efficient and I just had sooo many questions for the man. I'm very interested, you see, in communication and, well, star ships are hives of information just coming and going, don't you know? Mr. Gouda was so kind and took all the time in the world to explain some of the finer points of his approach to me. He was so polite and patient. Thank you again, Mr. Gouda.”

“You are welcome.”

“And after you talked to Mr. Gouda?”

“I came directly back here and was helping Lt. Wiseman for only a few minutes when Commodore Cyborn and Ms. Fairfax showed up.”

“Ms. Fairfax?”

“I believe I might have been the last person to see Ms. Banik.”

“What?”

Anna looked at Jill in surprise. Jill was avoiding looking at Anna. Not a good sign, Anna thought.

“I was out for my afternoon jog and had stopped for a few minutes in the main hub because I got a cramp in my leg. I did some stretching exercises and had just started off again when passengers started to emerge from one of the gates. I ran into a young East Indian woman and knocked her bags out of her hand. I helped her pick them up, apologized, and was on my way again. I did ten laps of the space port and then returned to the gym to shower and change. I met Commodore Cyborn there.”

“Are you sure it was Praveen Banik?”

“She looked East Indian. I hadn't met Praveen Banik so I could have been wrong.”

“Did this woman seem upset? Was she with anyone?”

“I didn't really notice. It happen so fast and then I was on my way again. She didn't seem upset, and I don't think she was with anyone.”

Admiral Grover looked at Anna. “Two of your people had contact with either Mr. Gouda or Ms. Banik. How do you explain this, Commodore Cyborn?”

“It's a small station, sir. I think the statements of my crew were fairly clear. It didn't sound like either of them were involved in anything inappropriate.”

“I want The Explorer searched,” Grover snapped, as he got up and turned on his heel to head over to climb up the conning tower. Gouda followed him with the members of the SPP directly behind them.

Anna wrote something on a piece of paper and held it up for her crew to see.

Chances are they have left bugs. Be careful what you say.

Adam, work out some way to find those bugs .

 

Anna passed the note to Justice to take with him. “Captain, please check on the rest of our crew aboard The Explorer. I'm going to get a message to Captain Garcia and Commander Hamilton that their ship is being searched.”

“Aye, aye, Com.”

Anna took a few minutes to send the warning message on her data transmitter to the senior officers of The Explorer, then she stood and smiled down at Jill. Reaching out, Anna grabbed Jill by the collar and lifted her to her feet.

“This way, Ms. Fairfax,” she said firmly, as she led Jill towards their quarters aboard The Mariner.

Once the hatch was shut, Anna pulled out a notepad and pen. She wrote: Okay, where is she?

Jill took the pad and wrote back: I don't want you involved .

Anna rolled her eyes and sighed in frustration. Then wrote: My crew is involved, my ship is involved and my lover is involved. I'm involved!!

Jill grimaced and wrote back: Maybe we can discuss this once we're on our mission .

Anna placed her forehead against the bulkhead and counted to ten. Then she wrote: Please tell me I don't have a stowaway .

Jill carefully circled around Anna and opened the hatch. “I'll talk to you as soon as I can,” she said, as she made her escape.

Anna closed her eyes and tried to will the whole issue away. When that didn't work, she took their messages and ran them through her shredder.

 

The Plot Thickens

 

Some hours later, Captain Carlos Garcia climbed down The Mariner conning tower and walked forward to find Anna working on the bridge.

“How did it go?”

“If my crew works most of the night stowing the stuff that the SPP pulled out, we might be ready to leave tomorrow,” said Carlos, flopping down in a chair. “I have no idea why they are picking on us.”

Anna laughed. “The DMC is always the first target with Grover and we will be the first ISC ships to leave the star port since the abduction, if that is what it was.”

“You don't think it was?”

“I have no idea for sure and I don't want to know. I just want to get on with our mission.”

“Mapping the dark matter in section 9811? It will be like watching grass grow. It's been on a main travel route for years. There is nothing in there.”

Anna shrugged. “You never know.”

“I do know. This is a ‘go away and don't bother us' mission. We've been too damn successful and now we are paying for it.”

“I can't deny that, but our job is to explore and study dark matter, even sections of it that are boring.”

Anna's communication panel bleeped.

“Commodore Cyborn?”

“Yes.”

“This is Commander Hamilton. Could I see you and Captain Garcia in weaponry aboard The Explorer immediately?”

Anna looked at Carlos and Carlos shrugged.

“We're on our way,” Anna said.

The two of them headed back into the common room and climbed the conning tower that led them to the access hall way that separated the two docking bays where The Mariner and The Explorer docked. The ship was now lit and crew members hurried back and forth getting The Explorer ready to leave the next day. They made their way aft and found Justice and Jane standing by a depth charger bay.

“It's okay to talk freely here,” Jane explained. “Justice has set up a temporary dampening field in case there is a bug. We have a problem.”

“What's that?” Carlos asked.

“Justice was helping me run a routine inspection to make sure all department systems were functioning. When Justice came in here, he noted a malfunction light flashing on depth sounder bay six. Justice?”

“I made sure that there wasn't an armed depth charge in the bay and then opened it up to see what the problem was. You'd better have a look.”

Justice pressed the release button and the interior bay door opened. Laying in the bottom of the tube was the dead body of Habib Gouda. Justice closed the bay door again.

“Shit,” Anna muttered.

“Murdered?”

Justice looked at Jane and the two of them fought not to laugh. Jane answered. “We don't think deliberately anyway. I was escorting Admiral Grover around with Mr. Gouda in tow while Carlos was on the bridge. Gouda said he'd seen enough and he was going to make his own enquiries and left us. A few minutes later, he came in here and told Crewman Markov to leave and not return for half an hour as he wanted to use the room for a private conversation. Markov had seen Gouda with Admiral Grover and being only a crewman he didn't question his authority. When Markov returned there was no one in here.”

Justice picked up the story from there. “About an hour later, the SPP got to this room and gave it a once-over. One of the things Markov said they did was to open the exterior bay doors by mistake instead of opening the interior ones. He knows this because they were laughing that they were glad there wasn't a depth charge in place.”

“Shit!” laughed Carlos. “Grover's SPP killed Gouda! He was hiding inside.”

Jane smiled. “We think he was planning to hide away until the inspection was over and then sneak around looking for Banik. He was convinced that the DMC was hiding her. Can you believe that?”

Everyone laughed except Anna who blushed. Everyone stopped laughing and looked at Anna.

“I don't know a thing!”

Justice rolled his eyes. “Jill's involved isn't she? I should have known.”

Anna sighed. “I suspect so. Aja had this...this experience on our last mission. He saw this girl and was convinced that they should be together.”

“So Jill helped him kidnap her?”

“I don't know. I suspect that several of the crew aboard The Mariner might be involved.”

“Oh shit. We're all going to be court martialed,” sighed Carlos.

“Better court martialed than quick frozen and suffocated like him,” Justice observed practically.

“What the hell are we going to do?”

Anna smiled. “The temptation to charge Grover with murder is almost irresistible.”

“It's rather disrespectful to leave him all freeze-dried in there,” Jane said.

“He was a jerk.” Carlos shrugged. “Roundly hated by everyone.”

“I thought he was Star Port Authority's golden boy,” Anna said.

“Their golden hatchet you mean. He revelled in cutting budgets, firing people, and leaving star ports functioning on next to nothing. I heard that Star Port Andromeda was a wasteland by the time he'd finished.”

“Maybe Grover did kill him after all,” Justice observed drily.

Anna stood hands on hips considering. “Proper procedure would be for us to call in the SPP who would conduct a detailed investigation.”

Carlos snorted. “Yeah, and we'd be stuck here for months. Some of the DMC would be in trouble up to their eyeballs and if Grover could use the issue to sink the DMC, he will. So what are we really going to do?”

“Crewman Markov hasn't seen the body. Only the four of us know,” Justice stated.

“Can we keep it secret?” Anna asked.

Carlos looked at Jane. As Number One aboard The Explorer, she was in charge of the crew. Jane nodded. “If we can find some way to stash this body in the next few hours, we could pull it off.”

“There's liable to be a second inspection when they realize that Gouda is missing,” Anna observed.

Carlos shrugged. “So we stash him wherever Jill has hid Praveen Banik.”

Anna nodded. “You three get Gouda out of there and place him in some sort of storage container that we can get aboard The Mariner. You'll have to find some way of making sure as few people as possible see the transfer. I'll go and put the screws to my crew. We probably only have hours. Let's get moving.”

“Aye, aye, Com.”

Anna made her way back to The Mariner, beating herself up emotionally the whole way. I'm nuts to be doing this. I'm covering up a death. What kind of ISC officer, am I? I keep breaking the damn rules and it's mainly because of Jill.

Suddenly, Anna smiled. Jill had certainly brought spice into her life, but also disgrace and danger at times. She should feel angry about that but she didn't. Instead, she felt liberated.

Anna half-climbed, half-slid down the conning tower ladder and strode up onto the bridge. She found Lt. Adam Wiseman and Sub-Lt. Barron Evmon up there. They stopped talking and stood at attention when she entered. Anna looked questioningly at Adam.

“Three bugs. One in engineering, one in the common room, and one on the bridge. I didn't want to destroy them because that would add to suspicion. I put one out in the access corridor down where The Livingstone is docked. Another over in the hall ventilation system so it sounds like an engineering section and one up near where The Armstrong is docked. I figure with luck, we'll be gone before they realize the voices that they are picking up are not from the DMC.”

“Excellent. Then we can speak freely?”

“I'm sure I got them all but I've also set up a ship-wide dampening field just in case.”

“Good. Round up the crew, that includes Sur. I need everyone in the common room in five minutes time.”

“Yes, Com.”

The two took off.

Anna took a few minutes in the quiet of the bridge to work out in her head just where she was going with this. If her crew was involved in kidnapping then they were in deep trouble. Anna found her ethical duty and her moral obligations conflicted. It was her job as an officer to report immediately what she knew. As a human, she sided with Aja and wanted to do right by Praveen. Where was she going with this? Down a long, narrow, slippery path, she concluded, and headed to the common room.

Everyone was waiting standing behind their chairs when Anna walked through.

“Sit.”

They sat.

Anna scanned the faces of her crew. Their facial expressions ranged from embarrassed to worried and one still slightly green. She began.

“A short time from now, the senior officers aboard The Explorer, Captain Moshapa and myself are going to put our careers on the line and risk jail time. This is the fault, it would seem, of members of my crew. An hour or so ago, Captain Moshapa on a routine inspection with Commander Hamilton found the remains of Habib Gouda.”

Her crew sucked in a collective breath of shock and horror.

“Anna, none of us had anything to do with his death, my word!” Jill protested.

Anna looked at Jill. “No, but behind my back, some or all of you plotted to kidnap Praveen Banik and set in motion a situation that could be devastating for our careers, lives, and the fate of the DMC. Well done, Jill, you have surpassed my wildest fears about your compulsive recklessness.”

“Commodore Cyborn,” interrupted Aja. “This was totally my idea and responsibility. I love Praveen and she loves me. Her coming to Star Port Gagarin was my one and only chance to rescue her from a terrible fate.”

“I will admit being married to Gouda did not seem to me to be desirable, Aja, but if the woman didn't want to marry him she could refuse. Arranged marriages are surely a thing of the past.”

“Not so. Families will not allow their girls to marry unfavourable and her family and mine have been feuding for years.”

“You are not going to tell me this was a Romeo and Juliet thing and I have yet to find another body,” Anna sighed.

“Oh no! Only that the marriage was arranged to prevent Praveen from marrying me. But I did not kill Habib. This I did not do.”

“It's okay, Aja. Anna, we all were involved. We didn't include you and Justice because as senior officers it would have put you in a position of having to lie to the Admiral. We were hoping to avoid that deception if at all possible. I planned the whole thing,” Jill admitted.

“I rather suspected so. Okay, where is Praveen? And is she okay?”

It was Toda who answered. “She is fine. When anyone heads towards engineering they trigger a warning light and Praveen hides in the torpedo tube.”

“The torpedo tube! Have you any idea how dangerous that is?”

“I removed the firing mechanism. My she's only a little bitty thing so I was able to slip her inside easily with a small light and a book and then used the head of a real torpedo to block the tube.”

Anna ran a hand over her face. “The exterior gate could still be accidentally opened. That's what happened to Gouda.”

“I disabled it as well.”

Anna nodded. “I wish The Explorer had thought of that. It seems Habib Gouda hid in a depth charger bay in the hopes of doing his own snooping around after Admiral Grover and the SPP left. Unfortunately, one of the SPP accidentally opened the exterior doors instead of the interior ones while conducting their search. Gouda suffocated and was quick-frozen by space.”

“Isn't that accidental manslaughter?” Evmon asked.

“I suspect so but it won't stop Grover from trying to shove the blame onto us. At the very least, he can get us for kidnapping, interference with justice, and disobeying orders,” Anna replied before turning to Toda. “Go and take the firing mechanism off the second torpedo tube. It seems they are good places for hiding people you don't want found. This one however needs to have the exterior gate cracked open just a bit. Please take Jill with you so we don't get into a huge fight. Aja, bring Praveen here.”

Toda, always protective of Jill, immediately stepped between Jill and Anna and gently herded her towards engineering. Aja, sick as he was, was already halfway there to get Praveen.

Anna looked around the remaining members of her crew. “Is there anything else I should know?”

Wiseman answered as the highest rank present. “You know everything, Commodore.”

Evmon, looking close to tears, couldn't help but speak. “Oh, Com, we're so sorry. We just wanted to help Aja and Praveen. They're in love. Everything went so well. We never thought anything like this would happen.”

“Well, it has,” Anna snapped. “This is no time for second thoughts. I need ideas and I need them soon. We have to explain what happened to Habib and Praveen to Grover's satisfaction. Work on it!”

“Aye, aye, Commodore.”

Aja and Praveen came into the common room holding hands and looking happy.

“Commodore Cyborn, may I present Praveen Banik. Praveen, this is my commanding officer, Commodore Cyborn.” Petite and pretty, Praveen was nearly the same height as Aja. Despite her time hiding in a torpedo tube, she was calm and alert. Anna could see why Aja had fallen for her.

“How do you do, Commodore? Thank you so much for helping me and Aja.”

“So far I have had very little to do with that process. I need to know if you were taken against your will.”

“No! I came willingly to The Mariner.”

“Did you want to marry Gouda?”

“No. He is too old for me and he is not a good person.”

“He had a good job and financial security. At the moment, Sur has neither of those things. Are you sure?”

“I'm positive. I love Aja.”

“You do realize that this decision could put a serious rift between you and your family?”

Praveen looked sad but determined. “To my family now I am dead. That is hard for me because I love my family, but I love Aja more. It is the price I'm willing to pay.”

Anna nodded. “Then we'll do everything we can to help you. Do you have any training or skills?”

“I trained as a librarian before my family arranged for me to marry Gouda.”

“I'll see what I can do. Welcome aboard, Praveen. I'm sorry your accommodations are so uncomfortable at the moment. Hopefully, we'll be on our way soon and you'll have more freedom. Aja, escort Praveen back to Engineering, then report to Lt. Wiseman. I need solutions and I needed them quickly.”

“Yes, Commodore. This way, Praveen.”

Carlos dropped down the conning tower. “We got him,” he said grimly. Anna walked over and helped Carlos as a large, heavy duffle bag was lowered from above by Justice. The bag hit the floor with a heavy thump. Carlos grimaced. “He's still a bit frozen.” Justice climbed down the tower.

“How did you arrange it?” Anna asked.

“Movie and free popcorn in the mess,” Justice explained. “Free food always draws them in. As soon as the halls were cleared, we rolled Gouda into this duffle bag that's meant to carry B26 tubing for temporary housing. Jane went and did an introduction to the movie night while Justice and I carried him over here. She's going to tell them that the movie night is thanks for all their hard work in getting The Explorer back into shape for the mission. The crew of The Mariner couldn't come because you are still not ready.”

“Good. Get him into Engineering. Toda and Jill are waiting to help you hide the body.”

“In engineering? There isn't enough room in there to hide anything.”

“It appears the my crew is nothing if it isn't creative. Hurry.”

Several hours later, Anna's crew stood waiting in the common room while the SPP went through her ship once again. Grover stood by his face red with anger.

“I know your damn group is behind this, Cyborn! And when I find the evidence, and I will, I'll have you all clapped in irons!”

“Yes, sir.”

“Nothing aboard this vessel, sir,” an SPP officer coming back from the bridge reported to Admiral Grover. “We've been over the ship with a fine-tooth comb. It's clean.”

“Blast! Where is he, Cyborn?”

“I haven't seen Habib Gouda since his involvement with the first search, sir.”

“Bullshit! The Mariner and The Explorer are confined to base. Your mission can wait. No ship leaves this base until I find some answers! Grover snapped at the SPP officer as he climbed up the conning tower.

Let's go see what the search team aboard The Explorer has turned up.” The SSP filed out after him.

Anna held her finger to her lips. It was unlikely that new bugs had been planted but it was a possibility. She took out her notepad and wrote then held it up for her crew to see.

Do a sweep for bugs. Jill and I will be back as soon as the sweep is done. Then we'll have a meeting to come up with some solutions for our present predicament. We can't escape into space now so our situation is dire. I need solutions!

Wiseman nodded and went off to get the necessary equipment.

“I'm going to have a late lunch with Jill and a talk. In the meantime, you know what your assignments are. I need solutions to this problem and I need this vessel ready for its mission. We'll want to be on our way as soon as we are given clearance. Captain Moshapa, your ship.”

“Aye, aye, Com.”

“Ms. Fairfax, this way. .”

Toda growled softly but Jill put a reassuring hand on his arm. “I'll be back soon, Toda, and we'll get to work finishing the Engineering overhaul.”

Anna let Jill go first and then followed her up the conning tower. They made their way down the access halls of the docking bays and into the main hub.

“We'll grab a quick bite to eat at the Kibo café. By the time we get back, Wiseman should have the ship swept for bugs and we can get the crew together to start working on a plan to get us out of this mess.”

“Okay. Anna, I'm sorry about all this.”

Anna stopped. “You are not the least bit sorry. You are enjoying every minute of it.”

Jill blushed. “I'm sorry about causing you grief and I feel guilty for what happened to Gouda.”

“Gouda acted stupid and paid for his carelessness. He knew better. You don't travel out here without knowing that you never put yourself at risk of being exposed to space. It's dangerous enough out here without deliberately putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation.”

“Are you really angry with me?”

“Frustrated, angry, and pissed off.” Anna smiled. “Life is never dull since I ran into you.”

Jill gave Anna a quick hug. “You're wonderful.”

“And so are you. Most of the time,” joked Anna. “Come on, I'm starved and I need you putting your diabolical mind to use coming up with a way to get us out of this mess.”

An hour later, the crew of The Mariner plus Praveen Banik sat around the table in their common room.

“We have one stowaway and one dead body. I need solutions. First, we need to find some way of having Praveen turn up safe and sound aboard the space port and getting her and Aja married. Second, we need some decent way of getting Gouda's body off this ship and provide a feasible cause of death.”

“Couldn't we just tell this Admiral Grover that Gouda was accidentally killed while he was hiding aboard The Explorer?” Praveen asked.

“Normally that would be the correct procedure and the logical one. Unfortunately, Grover can't be trusted. He would use the opportunity to disgrace the DMC at the very least. Worse case scenario we'd be thrown in the brig for manslaughter.”

“This is such a waste of our time,” Adam grumbled, “when we should be doing research in space. Let's just dump the body somewhere and get on with our flight plan.”

“If Gouda's body shows up anywhere on this space port without a good explanation, the SPP will keep us here for months while they investigate. You can be sure Grover will use that time to make the DMC look bad,” Justice said.

“He might have been unlikeable but he does deserve to have his remains returned to his family so he can have a funeral in accordance with his beliefs,” Evmon pointed out.

“He was a very bad man! He only wanted to marry me for my dowry. His family are rich because they cheat and steal from others.”

“Dowry? Isn't that a pretty outdated practice?” Adam asked.

“Yes. There are no dowries paid anymore but many families like mine have jewellery that has been passed from mother to daughter as a dowry gift for years. The jewels are not meant to be sold by the husband. They are a family legacy that should be passed on to the next generation. But I know Habib Gouda planned to use them to get a mortgage so he could invest in a big development his family is building in Calcutta. It was not right.”

Wiseman leaned forward. “The jewellery is worth enough to get a large mortgage?”

“They are excellent stones in a gold antique setting. They are worth several million.”

Anna sighed. “Please tell me you haven't got them with you.”

Sur reached down and produced a silk pouch from one of his leg pockets. From it he careful slid a diamond and emerald necklace. He placed it reverently on the table.

“It is beautiful! The workmanship!” Toda gasped.

“Oh boy,” Anna muttered.

“I have a plan,” Jill stated.

 

Diabolical Plans

 

An hour later, Jill stood inside Anna's warm, protective arms.

“I hate to do this to you. I've caused you enough trouble already.”

“It will be okay. I'm getting used to dealing with Bart Grover.”

“He wouldn't cross the line, would he? I mean force a confession out of you?”

“No, of course not,” Anna said, although she wasn't at all sure that was the case. She suspected Grover might have different interrogation standards for humans and cyborgs.

“It shouldn't be any more than a few hours.”

“Don't worry.”

“I can't help it. I love you so much.”

“I love you, too. Now I'd better be on my way before they find Praveen.”

“Okay.”

They kissed, long and with a depth of feeling that only those truly in love can achieve. Then Anna left.

She made her way quickly to the Redstone Café where she found Praveen sitting at a table at the back, her face hidden behind a menu. Anna slipped into the seat across from her.

“How did it go?” Anna asked.

“It went well. Evmon lent me a hooded robe as a disguise and I left it on a hook on the back of the washroom door before sitting here. Once the SPP pick us up, Jill will come and get the robe.”

Anna nodded. Getting Praveen here so they could be seen together was the first major hurdle they had to get over. There would be many more. She just hoped there would be no problems because she was not looking forward to being arrested and interrogated by the SPP. Praveen's and her jobs were to buy The Mariner crew time and to set the foundation for Jill's explanation for Gouda's death. The plan was diabolical, which is what Anna had asked for, but it was complex and a hundred things could go wrong.

Anna fished the letter out of her pocket and showed it to Praveen. “Look surprised.”

Praveen took the letter and did her best to look upset. It wasn't hard considering the mess they were in.

Anna snatched the letter back. “Here they come. Jill was right. The SPP must have had a tail on me.”

“Good. I will pray for you.”

“Be strong,” Anne smiled. “It will be all over soon.”

A big burly man in the grey uniform of the SPP came to stand by their table. Another remained at the entrance way and Anna suspected another would be in the kitchen. “Commodore Cyborn? Praveen Banik?”

“Yes.”

“I will have to ask you to come with me.”

“Are we under arrest, Sargent?” Anna asked.

“I hope that isn't necessary, Commodore. The SPP would prefer not to make a scene when a senior officer is wanted for questioning.”

“Then we will most certainly comply with your request.” Anna got up. “Ms. Banik, this is for the best. I think you will find the administration of this star port to be as helpful and fair as I have told you that they are.”

Praveen smiled at Anna's ambiguous statement and slid off the bench to join Anna. “I will go along with this officer then.”

The Sargent looked relieved and gestured for them to go first. At the door, the other SPP officer fell in on the other side of them. They walked through the halls toward the Administrative section of the star port. People passing by looked at them with interest then went about their business. No one wanted to be involved in any trouble with the SPP.

Aboard The Mariner, Barron Evmon worked quickly and efficiently and, although her hands shook slightly and an expression of total disgust lined her face, she did a good job of making a mould of Habib Gouda's face. Fortunately, the bloating that occurred when a body is exposed to sudden decompression had subsided. Gouda had been effectively freeze-dried. Once the mould had set, she peeled it off and retreated to the common room to mix the resin to make the death mask. While she was busy, Aja and Justice cleaned the remains of the moulding compound off Gouda's frozen face, combed his hair, and cleaned him up. Before placing him back into the torpedo tube, Aja took the antique jewellery out of his pocket that Praveen had given him and put it in Gouda's pocket, making sure the flap was zipped tight.

“I've had some very weird jobs since joining the DMC but this has to be at the top of the list,” Aja observed as he closed and sealed the torpedo hatch.

“I heard the Commodore mutter Jill is the albatross of trouble in human form,” Justice laughed.

“Do you think the Commodore is really angry with her? Because if she is planning on disciplining her...”

“What would be the point? Com has disciplined her in the past and it does no good. Jill is a law unto herself. Besides, she is no longer a member of the ISC so Com's authority over her is limited. About all she could do is order Jill off the ship and she's not going to do that. The Commodore is madly in love with her.”

Aja smiled weakly. “No one knows better than me how far one will go for love.”

“I think we all become risk-takers for love. Still there is no denying that Jill can be trouble on wheels when she gets an idea in her head.”

“Sir, if Jill had told you and Com about the plan to rescue Praveen, would you have done anything different?”

Justice thought about that. “I don't know if we'd have used the same harebrained plan but we'd have certainly been there for you and Praveen.”

Aja smiled. “Thank you.”

Justice rolled his eyes. “And in case you hadn't noticed here we are following another one of Jill's harebrained plans.”

Aja chuckled and led the way back up to the common room to see how Evmon was doing.

“Another hour and the mask will be ready to pull out from the mould. Then I'll need at least an hour to paint it. Even doing a rough job, it's pretty detailed work,” Evmon told them.

“Understood. Aja, Sue will be waiting for you in the gym. She's booked you in for a general fitness test that will take most of the day. It's important that you appear in no way involved in all this or the SPP will be suspicious. Sue will stay with you the whole time and you should be seen by as many people as possible. Go out of your way to talk to people.”

“Yes, sir. I'm on my way.”

“I'm going to check on Adam's progress,” Justice stated, heading down to the small science lab aboard The Mariner.

He found Adam huddled over his computer screen looking tense and frustrated. “We've got problems,” Adam muttered before Justice could even ask.

“What sort?”

“I can't access the digital security archive from my computer. It can only be accessed from the security station in this docking wing. I can't just waltz in there. There is always at least two SPP officers on duty in there.”

“Shit. Okay, let me think about that. In the meantime, have you got the digital camera programmed to the SPP system?”

“Done. Does, Jill have any idea how complex this shit is?”

“She believes in you,”Justice smiled.

“Yeah, right.”

 

 

Jill waited down the hall from the Kibo Café. It was only a few minutes before the SPP came out with Anna and Praveen and they headed down towards the Administrative section of the Space Station. Jill was relieved to see Anna was not in handcuffs, but her heart still ached with worry for putting Anna in this situation.

Why was she always messing up? She meant well but everything she seemed to take on ended with Anna in trouble. She knew Anna loved her but how much could her lover handle before she felt she'd had enough? Anna had never mentioned again about them setting up a home together. To be fair, Jill had put her off having her own issues about trust to deal with before she could make a commitment. Maybe that had been a mistake. Maybe Anna wasn't going to be willing anymore to make a life time commitment to someone who was always messing up.

Jill sighed and pushed the negative thoughts from her mind. She had a job to do. She walked down the hall and stepped into the café. Ordering a coffee to go, she went down to the washrooms and picked up the cloak Praveen had left there and stuffed it into her canvas tool bag before heading back to the counter. After paying for her coffee, she left and hurried back to the docking ports.

She met Captain Carlos Garcia and his Number One, Jane Hamilton, in the docking bay hall. They had clearly been nervously hanging about waiting for her report.

“Well?” Carlos asked.

“They just picked up Anna and Praveen. Lots of people saw them so you'll have no problem explaining how you know.”

Jane bit her lip in worry. “Did they look okay? I feel terrible about this. The DMC are taking dangerous risks to cover for an incident that happened aboard The Explorer.”

Jill sighed. “They looked calm and they weren't handcuffed or anything. Don't feel guilty. All this mess only happened because of me. Just do your best to get Anna out of there.”

Carlos nodded. “We've decided on a two-pronged attack. I'll head to Grover's office and put in a complaint and Jane will head to the SPP section and try to get to see Anna and Praveen.”

“Thanks.”

Jane gave Jill a quick hug. “Don't worry. The good guys always win.” Carlos and Jane headed up the ramp to the main docking wing and hurried on their mission.

Jill watched them go, hoping they had enough influence to protect Anna from any abuse. Anna had reassured her Grover would not go too far in this interrogation but Jill was no fool. Grover considered Anna a cyborg, no more than a machine. He wasn't going to worry about her rights as a human. They need to act quickly and get Anna and Praveen out of custody.

Jill hurried down the access arm and went through the hatch to The Mariner's conning tower. She slid down the ladder and found Evmon looking at security photos of Gouda that Adam had downloaded for her.

“It will be about an hour before I can take the mask out of the mould and paint it. Justice is with Adam. How are Anna and Praveen?”

“Okay.” Jill headed to the science lab.

Justice looked up as she entered. “The camera's ready. I just talked to Toda. He has the sequence ready that you will have to follow in the ISM. You'd better go down to Engineering and go through it with Toda. He says it's very complex.”

Jill nodded and headed immediately to Engineering.

Adam looked up at Justice. “You didn't tell her about our little problem.”

“She's got enough on her mind. I need her totally focused on what she needs to do inside that ISM. One false move and she'll end up like Gouda.”

“So what are you going to do to distract the security guards so I can get in there and access the archives?”

Justice winked. “I have my own diabolical plan.”

“Oh boy,” Adam muttered, rolling his eyes.

Jill sat at a mockup of a space port ISM console Toda had constructed from scrap parts. It lacked the sophistication of the independent space modules she and Toda designed for The Mariner, nor was it user-friendly. Jill had messed up twice going through the complex procedure necessary to complete the next stage in their plan. Such an error during the real mission would expose her to the death grip of space. She would pass out from asphyxiation as the air in her lungs was rapidly pushed out with the sudden loss of pressure. Within minutes her blood would no longer have enough oxygen to maintain her brain. An embolism would form as the blood boiled, bloating her body like a helium balloon. Frost would form in her mouth and throat and the moisture of her eyes would evaporate. In short, she'd better get it right or she was going to die just like Gouda.

“No. No, Jill. Phase Three override comes next,” Toda reminded her, hanging over her like a mother hen.

Jill nodded. “Sorry.”

“Start again.”

Jill went through the procedure seven more times until she was confident she had the sequence down pat.

“I do not like this plan. It is too high risk,” complained Toda.

“I can't think of another plan, can you?”

“We should just tell them the truth.”

“Grover is not looking for truth. He's looking for a way to destroy Anna's career and reputation and get rid of the DMC.”

“Grover is a very bad man.”

“No, not bad. Just very, very bigoted and that makes him dangerous. Are we ready then?”

“Yes, but I still do not like this.”

Jill got up from the mock console and gave Toda a big hug. “You're wonderful.”

“Oh dear! Well, I try my best. You are my closest human friend and I do worry about you.”

“I know, Toda. I carry the name of your House too and I do try my best to live up to that honour.”

Toda smiled. “You will be a fine engineer. Almost as good as any Gigantean.”

“That is a compliment,” Jill smiled. “Let's go.”

Jill and Toda stopped briefly at the science lab.

“Ready, Adam?”

“I'm with you,” the scientist muttered, gathering an armful of equipment and following them out.

They passed Evmon in the common room totally focused on painting the plastic mask. After climbing the conning tower ladder they made their way down to the main arm of the docking bay. From there, they followed the curve of the hall to the end of docking station 26. The ISM used to complete exterior work on craft docked in this section of the space port were anchored here.

Toda slipped on the tall orange hats of a Marvanian. Marvanians were only loosely associated with the ISC family of planetary systems. They had no home planet and made their living as traders and entertainers. They were naturally tall and used the high cone shaped hats to accentuate this feature. This allowed them to be seen even in crowded areas by species looking to trade. Although given to hard bargaining, they prided themselves on their reputation as fair traders and were much sought after as entertainers. Like the wandering minstrels of thousand of years ago, they brought the news and gossip from one isolated star port to another.

“I feel so silly. I don't think orange is my colour,” grumbled Toda.

“A fashion statement is the least of our problems.” Adam sighed. “Are you two ready?”

“Yes.”

Toda moved forward into the access hall and stood in front of the security camera. His natural height and the addition of the trader's hat effectively covered the camera's lens. He pulled his script from his pocket as Adam joined him.

“Here, this is a good place to make a quiet trade,” Toda read.

“It will do.”

“What is it you want?”

“I need a electrophoresis system capable of detecting and breaking down nucleotide sequences so that an analysis of nucleic acid macromolecules can be made. It has to be small and portable.”

“This is not new technology. Such equipment is available on several planets, however, acquiring one and shipping it here would be expensive. What do you have to offer me?”

“I have no money but I can get hold of the spec sheets for Commodore Cyborn's various implants.”

“This knowledge has already been made accessible by Lt. Toda.”

“True, but only their integration system within the host. I can get the actual design diagrams of each of the individual components.”

“Such information would not only be classified but have a universal copyright.”

“Naturally, I am offering this material only out of scientific interest. How others might use this information, legally or illegally, is of no concern to me.”

“You know Marvanians do not knowingly break the law. Bad dealings would result being banned from star ports. This would not be good for business. Still, such information would be very valuable, if I could find a way to trade it within the boundaries of the law. I will consider your offer.”

While Toda and Adam went through their script, Jill had quickly accessed the ISM pod and gone through the complex sequence to make it look like Gouda had tried unsuccessfully to escape in an ISM. First, she accessed the dating mechanism and set it to indicate that the module had been entered the day Gouda disappeared. Then she programmed the craft to open its emergency escape hatch in 30 seconds time. This was the complex and difficult part. The ISM had to look as if an accident had occurred due to pilot error and not because the unit had been tampered with. Only Toda could have come up with such a method. Now, Jill had 30 seconds from when she entered the last command to get out of the ISM and seal the hatch before the emergency evacuation port blew off.

Jill took a deep breath to calm herself, reviewed in her mind once again what she needed to do and then entered the sequence. Immediately, she unbuckled herself from her seat, opened the main hatch and dived through. Adam was there to press the close hatch button just in time.

Jill looked up and smiled at Toda, whose eyes were wide with fright. She gave him the thumbs up sign and then quickly scrambled out of the access wing.

Adam and Toda finished off the script and met Jill in the hall a few minutes later.

“Oh dear! My hearts are pounding like pistons,” Toda said. “Did it go okay?”

“Mission accomplished. We're set to go ahead with the next step.”

“Not quite,” Adam admitted.

 

 

Justice had waited for the others to leave. Then he approached Evmon. This was going to be embarrassing. He also felt a certain amount of guilt because he knew his request would be fulfilling a personal fantasy. That didn't seem fair to Evmon. Was there another solution to their problem? He couldn't think of one.

“Evmon, I have a very difficult proposition to make to you.” Justice blushed. “That probably wasn't a good choice of words considering my proposal....No, I mean.” Justice took a deep breath and calmed himself. “Here it is. We need a distraction. A major one. Adam has to get in to the security station in order to change the archives. That means distracting the guards enough that they'll leave the booth.”

“Okay, what is your plan?”

Justice swallowed nervously. “I don't mean to be insulting but I'm sure you are aware that there are all sorts of rumours about Vultarian....ahhh love practices. I thought if you could fake a bout of love sickness and jump someone in the hall, the guards would be sure to sneak a peek.”

Evmon, just putting the final touches on the death mask, looked up in shock. “You're asking me to make love to someone in a public place for the entertainment of some stupid guards!”

“No! No, not that, no! I just meant to pretend. Just enough to distract the guards.”

“Wouldn't a fight do just as well?”

“No, they'd just call the SPP to break it up. It has to be something very unusual and, well, interesting to get those guards out of the security booth.”

“This is asking a lot, Commander. It would be very embarrassing and difficult for me. It's not easy...well, Vultarians can be very passionate when aroused. I don't think I could do this. It's too personal. Who did you plan to be my lover?”

“Ahhh, me actually.”

“You?”

“Yes.”

“Okay.”

“Okay?”

“Yes, okay.”

Justice felt weak in the knees and hot and bothered. He did his best to appear professional. “Good. I assure you, I won't do anything inappropriate. Could you use that paint to make it look like you have a bout of love sickness coming on?”

“That won't be necessary,” Evmon responded calmly. Justice noted that Evmon's face was starting to get that characteristic pink glow and she was looking at him, well, as if he was dinner.

“Ahhh, I'll let you know when. Thank you for your cooperation. I need to go and see how the others are getting on,” explained Justice, as he backed up into the conning tower ladder and scrambled up it.

Evmon purred softly.

Justice met Adam, Toda and Jill in the access hall way.

“I hear we have a problem,” Jill said.

“No, it's okay. Evmon and I will distract the guards while Adam sneaks into the security office and makes the changes to the archives. Make it as quick as you can, Adam. Evmon and I are going to find ourselves in a bit of an awkward situation otherwise.”

Jill looked at Adam and smiled and Adam chuckled. “I can hardly wait for this,” he smirked.

“You just keep focused on your job,” warned Justice, feeling more than a little embarrassed.

Jill looked at her watch. “They've had Anna and Praveen for over two hours now. We need to get on with things.”

Justice nodded. “Jill, you get into one of Mariner's ISMs. Toda get to Engineering. On my mark flush Gouda out into space.”

“Aye, aye, Commander.”

The three headed to their various tasks. Jill couldn't help noticing that Evmon was glowing pink and splotches of purple were starting to form on her skin. This was going to be very interesting. Could it be that Evmon had developed a crush on Justice? Was that what brought on her first bout of love sickness several missions ago?

Jill checked the gauges to make sure the ISM port was sealed and the cockpit pressurized. Then she opened the first hatch, did a double-check and opened the ISM hatch. Grabbing the overhead rail, she swung her legs up and slid forward and down into the ISM called Toronado. While she checked her readings and powered up the ISM, Justice sealed the hatches behind her.

“Toronado to Mariner.”

“Mariner here.”

“I'm ready for door opening to do a visual inspection of The Mariner's fuselage.”

“Stand by. Depressurizing stable. Status?”

“A-okay.”

“Doors opening.”

“Roger that. All readings norm. Request docking lock release.”

“Latches released. You are good to go.”

“Roger. I'll head forward first and then work my way aft on the starboard side.”

“Understood.” Justice knew of course that Jill had no intention of doing any of this. The banter was just for the record to cover their tracks. He stood waiting for Jill's command call to indicate that she was close to the starboard torpedo.

“Mariner, I'm in position and starting my inspection.”

“Roger,” responded Justice, then he called down to Engineer. “Toda, release the payload.”

“Aye, aye sir. Payload released.”

Jill saw the torpedo tube open and Gouda's body slowing drift out. She pulled a face. Dealing with the dead gave her the creeps. More than that, she didn't feel they were giving Gouda the respect his remains deserved. He might have been a bastard but that didn't mean his remains didn't deserve respect.

Very carefully, she used the robotic arms to grasp Gouda's body. Then she skimmed under the belly of The Mariner and The Explorer and headed along under the main hall of docking bay 26 to where the space port ISMs were docked. This was the riskiest part of the mission. If anyone saw her the whole plan would fall into ruins and they would be in big trouble. She kept her running lights off and stayed on the shadowed side of the star port's outer docking wing.

“Status report,” Justice prodded.

“Aft side shows no significant wear so far. Everything going according to plan.”

“Copy.”

Jill manoeuvred her craft around to the ISM that she had decompressed earlier. The blown hatch floated close to the opening. Gingerly, she used one of the robotic arms to nudge it out of the way. Once she was in position, she ejected the suction anchors that would hold her craft fast to the other ISM.

Now came the hard part. Very slowly and carefully, she lowered Gouda inside, holding the body with one robotic arm while she struggled to get his floating legs and then his arms inside the hatch.

Once she had placed him inside she delicately used the robotic arms to pull the safety harness around him and after numerous tries managed at last to get it buckled. She looked at her watch. The process had taken much longer than anticipated. Jill released and retracted the suction anchors and carefully backed off. Spinning her craft she flew her ISM back to The Mariner.

“Mariner this is Toronado. Inspection of craft is completed. Requesting docking procedures.”

“Roger that, Toronado. Opening stable doors.”

Jill spun her craft around and backed it into place until she hear the metallic clank of the anchor arms coming down around her craft. She verified that there had been a good contact made.

“Mariner, Tornonado is docked.”

“Copy. Closing stable doors. Pressurizing stable. Cabin pressure reached. I'm going to open the hatches.”

Above and behind her, Jill heard the clank as Justice opened the first and then the second hatch. She reached up and grabbed the evac bar then pulled herself out of the ISM and dropped down onto the common room floor.

“How did it go?”

“It was a bitch of a job but he's in there good and tight. Two more tasks to complete and we can work at getting Anna and Praveen back. They've already been held four hours.”

“One more task. While you were out, I put on the mask and Adam made a digital image of me climbing aboard what looks like a star port ISM. He's coded it to match stuff that would be recorded on security cameras. As soon as he can sew it into the archival material we can notify the SPP that there is a body in an ISM. They'll find Gouda's body and when they access the security camera archive, they'll see him getting into the ISM on the date he disappeared.”

Jill nodded. “So far, so good.”

Justice continued. “Evmon and Adam are in place already. I'll walk down the hall and meet Evmon and we'll... well ... we'll put on a show that hopefully will get the attention of the security personnel. When they are occupied, Adam will sneak in and access the archival files.”

Jill smiled. “Then we'll know if all the rumours about Vultarian love sickness are true.”

“We're just pretending!”

“I don't think that pink glow and purple spots I saw forming had anything to do with play acting, Justice. She fancies you.”

Justice blushed. “I have to be going.”

 

 

 

Justice tried not to smile as he walked towards the security office near the entrance point of the curved docking hall of section 26. The office had a glass window that allowed security personnel to watch the comings and goings of their patrol area. Just down and across from them was the access hall to docking bays one and two. Justice had checked there were no crafts docked in that area at the moment. It would be a perfect place to meet Evmon. They would meet in the hall making sure the two security guards saw them and knew what they were about. Then they'd disappear down the hall. With any luck, the two guards would come out of the booth so that they could see down the hall. When they did, Adam could enter and access their computer files.

The whole process was extremely risky. The guards might not leave their booth. Even if they did, the guards would only have to turn around to see Adam through the window. Adam would only have a matter of minutes to do his job. The more Justice thought about it, they more stupid the idea seemed.

Justice was so deep in thought that he was startled when Evmon stepped out in front of him. Then she was in his arms. Her body was warm and soft and vibrating gently with excitement. The movement against his manhood was exotic and stimulating. Her kisses were passionate and playful as she wrapped her legs around him demanding more. Justice barely, had enough sense left to carry Evmon out of sight of the booth into the side hallway.

 

 

 

At SPP headquarters things had not gone well. Things had started all right. Praveen and Anna were put in separate rooms and each asked to make a statement. These were digitally recorded and they were asked to sign the screen. Then they went through Praveen's statement word for word questioning her about everything. They were polite but firm making her go over and over her story. She was glad that she had practised with Aja the night before. It would be so easy to make a slip.

“I did not want to marry Habib Gouda. He is not an honest or good man. I want to marry Aja Sur but my family does not approve. They sent me here to marry Gouda but I had barely got off the space bus when he demanded to have the dowry that my family had agreed upon. It was, as I told you, antique jewellery of great value but precious to my family because it had been passed down generation after generation. Gouda meant to use the jewellery to help finance some project to make him rich. He cared nothing for me.

“I realized that I couldn't marry this man as my family wished. So I gave him the jewellery and then made an excuse that I needed to go to the washroom. I changed my clothes in there and then snuck out. Since then I have been in hiding. Many times the SPP almost caught me but I managed to elude them. I planned to stay hidden until I was sure that Habib Gouda had left the star port and then I was going to find Aja. Then I heard that Gouda was missing so I tried to send a message to Aja to meet me in the café and help me.

“Commodore Cyborn intercepted the message and she came instead. She told me I must turn myself over to the SPP but I was afraid. Then the SPP showed up and brought us here.”

Anna's story was similar to Praveen's. She hadn't been involved in Praveen's escape. She did intercept the note and came instead of Aja to meet Praveen and she had felt the SPP must be involved. She had no idea where Gouda was at this time.

The SPP had gone over and over it with her. Then they had given her a truth serum. Anna had been expecting this. The rules for her interrogation were sure to be different from Praveen's.

“I point out to you that the use of a truth serum is illegal,” Anna stated as the officer took her arm and stuck in the needle.

“For humans. You're different.”

“No, we are both humans. I just have higher moral standards than you it would seem.”

“Don't you give me any lip, Cyborg, or I'll pull your plug.”

“Ignorant and dishonourable.”

This remark got Anna a cuff to the back of the head. Smart, thought Anna. No marks would show. She could feel the warm glow of the serum running through her veins. She was prepared. Truth serum could be beat by mind association. She fixated on her trip to Carlos's family ranch in New Mexico. Every question they asked her, she would relate back to that time. Anna let her head fall forward.

“What's the matter with her?” Someone asked.

“I don't know. Drugs affect them different, I guess. Cyborn, you hear me?”

“Yes.”

“I don't want to get rough with you. They tell me you are a valuable bit of equipment so you just answer my questions, you got it?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, where is Gouda?”

“New Mexico.”

“Gouda is in New Mexico?”

“I don't know where Gouda is now. I was in New Mexico. I liked it.”

“Don't you get smart with me.” Anna got another cuff to the back of the head.

“When did you last see Gouda?”

“Aboard The Mariner. The SPP came and did a search. He was with them then. I think you lost him. That was very careless of you, you know. I rode a horse.”

So it went on hour after hour.

Carlos and Jane had been sitting side by side for the last three hours. Carlos had been given the bum's rush out of Vice-Admiral Grover's office and had joined Jane at the SPP administration building. They has requested to see Praveen and Anna and been told to wait.

“Captain Garcia, Commander Hamilton, if you'll come this way.”

They followed the young SPP officer down the hall to another waiting room. Inside was an inspector of the SPP.

“What do you two want?”

“As I'm sure you know, we've made a request to see two people that you are detaining for questioning, Praveen Banik and Commodore Anna Cyborn,” Carlos responded. “When will that be possible?”

“Why do you want to see them?”

“To make sure that they are being treated well and their rights not violated.”

“Cyborgs don't have rights.”

“Commodore Cyborn is NOT a cyborg. She is human and has some cybernetic parts. She is also a decorated member of the ISS Dark Matter Corps and if her rights have been violated in anyway if would be VERY unfortunate.”

Jane spoke for the first time. “Are they under arrest? Bbecause, if not, I'm sure Commodore Cyborn will want to talk to her lawyer to find out why she is being held.”

“We have rules, we follow them,” the Inspector sneered. “Wait here.”

Carlos looked at Jane and raised an eyebrow towards the security camera. The message was clear, be very careful what you say and stick to the script.

A half hour later, Praveen was ushered into the room.

Before Praveen could say anything Carlos introduced himself so Praveen would know it wasn't safe to speak freely. “Praveen Banik? My name is Captain Carlos Gracia and this is my Number One, Commander Jane Hamilton. We are part of the DMC support team. We heard that you and Commodore Cyborn had been picked up by the SPP. We're here to see if you and Commodore Cyborn are okay and if we can do anything for you.”

“Hello, Captain, Commander. Thank you for coming. I have been questioned over and over but everyone has been polite. I was given lunch and I've been told that I might be released soon.”

“What about Commodore Cyborn?”

“We were picked up together. She intercepted a message that I sent to Aja Sur to meet me. She came instead and the SPP picked us both up. Where is Aja? Is he being held too?”

“No. Aja is aboard the star port. Today, he was scheduled to do his yearly physical. As far as I know, he knows nothing about what is going on. I'm sure he will be relieved to know you have been found and are safe. Is he a relative of yours?”

“No! I wish to marry Aja.”

Carlos and Jane did their best to look surprised. “Really? I thought I heard you were here to marry Gouda.”

“I do not want to marry him. He is a bad man.”

“We'll make every effort to get you and Commodore Cyborn out of here. I'm sure by now they have asked all the questions that they need to ask. Commander, you stay here with Praveen. I'm going to see what I can do to get the two of them released.”

“Yes, sir.”

Two hours later, Jane was able to leave with Praveen. Four hours later, Carlos was still waiting to see Anna and had made no headway in getting her out.

“You are holding my commanding officer without charge. I want to see her.”

“She is being questioned in a possible kidnapping case,” responded the commanding SPP officer, Inspector Tagett.

“You've been holding her for over five hours now. How many questions could you possible ask?”

“Lots. There are some very suspicious circumstances involving the disappearance of Habib Gouda and DMC personnel always seem to be close by when anything happens.”

“This is a small space port. Everyone is close by!”

“We'll let you know when Cyborn is being released or if she is going to be charged. As always the SPP are following the standard rules of procedure.”

“Like hell you are. I have a lawyer on the way.”

“That's your right. I'm not sure a cyborg can access legal services.”

“The Commodore is NOT a cyborg!”

“There are differences of opinion on that issue.”

And so it went hour after hour as Carlos continued his fight to get to see Anna and get her out of SPP custody. What was taking so long? Something must have gone wrong with the plan.

 

 

 

Adam stood bug-eyed for a second as he watched Evmon and Justice. He was almost on his way to follow them around the corner to see what was going on when the two security guards came out of their booth and hurried down the corridor to look around the corner.

“Lucky bastards,” Adam muttered and scurried into the security booth. Adam had worked up a program that would access the needed archive, delete the original data and paste in the material that he'd prepared with the others' help. He had it on a memory stick. He needed 18 seconds to complete the procedure but first he had to find the correct port. Standing at the door panic welled inside of him as he looked in vain for the needed access port. He forced himself to remain calm and not count the seconds. Looking around again he saw it. Keeping low he hurried over and put in the memory stick.

Voices. Laughter.

Adam had run out of time. He made for the door and was out just in time.

“Hi guys. Are you posted to this booth? I wonder if you could give me a printout of arrivals between 09.72.0023 and 09.78.0023. I gotta prove I was on duty and not pissing around at the Soyuz Bar.”

The guards laughed. “Sure thing,” one of them said. “We'd be damn rich if we could charge for the number of times we've run off documentation for people.”

Adam followed them into the booth and walked over to look out the window. His hand slid down and pulled the stick from the access port.

The guard had brought up the right data field. “You got a memory stick? We don't provide them.”

Adam turned and managed a weak smile. “Right here,” he said handing over the memory stick.

 

 

 

Jill paced up and down the common room aboard The Mariner. “Why haven't they found that ISM yet? It must be showing a malfunction. We have to tip them that the ISM is damaged. They've had Anna eight hours now.”

Justice shook his head. He'd changed from his torn uniform but his prosthetic right arm was still down in engineering being fixed by Toda. He discreetly folded and pinned his sleeve up his arm ending a few centimetres below his elbow.

“We can't, Jill. Grover would smell a set up as soon as we did. No we have to wait until security realizes that they have a malfunctioning ISM.”

“But Anna!”

Justice face hardened. He was in command and Jill had to realize that even though this had been her plan. “No, Jill. We wait. The Commodore can take care of herself.”

So they waited. Hours ticked by. Jill paced. Justice and Jane tried unsuccessfully to focus on their upcoming mission. Aja and Praveen sat at the common room table holding hands and looking worried. Adam compulsively went over and over his program making sure no mistakes could have been made. Sue monitored all space port frequencies trying to find out any news, Unable to comfort Jill, Toda disappeared into the Engineering section to work on repairing Justice prosthetic arm and Evmon, in a serious bout of love sickness, was confined to her room.

 

Aftermath

 

“Permission to come aboard,” came Carlos's voice at last.

Jill was at the conning ladder immediately with the rest of the DMC crew right behind her. “Carlos, where is Anna?”

“I have her here. I need all hands to get her down the ladder.”

Justice and Aja were immediately there to help Anna down. Anna looked tired and her usually immaculate uniform was wrinkled and smudged, but she wore a big grin.

“Hi everyone.” She hugged Jill and kissed her soundly while everyone looked on with surprised and amused grins. “I'm really, really pissed with you,” she told Jill. “Justice, you're out of uniform. Where's your arm?”

Justice blushed deeply as he heard the crew chuckle. “It got damaged while Evmon and I were trying to create a diversion. Toda is fixing it.”

“Oh my! It got yanked off in all the frenzied excitement. I had no idea!”

“Shut up, Toda,” growled Justice. “That's an order!”

“Yes, sir!”

Banging came from down the hall. “I think your arm is fighting back,” Anna laughed.

Justice looked even more embarrassed if that was possible. It was Sue who answered as she checked Anna's pulse and looked her over.

“I had to lock Evmon in her quarters. She's trying to get out. She's down with a serious case of love sickness.”

The banging came again. Anna looked at Justice and enlightenment dawned. “Ho, ho! You are the man!” She laughed.

“Anna!” Jill exclaimed. “Carlos, what's the matter with her?”

“Truth serum,” he laughed. “You wouldn't believe what I've been told on the way over here.”

“Sue, will she be okay?”

“It should wear off by tomorrow.”

“Jill, you are so cute. I'd marry you if I wasn't so angry with you. Do you want to ride with me instead?”

“What?!”

Carlos snorted. “She's talking about riding a horse.”

It was Jill's turn to blush. “Oh.”

“I focused on my holiday in New Mexico. Word association you know. Told them all about it. They didn't seem too interested. I can't think why. I rode a horse, you know.”

“Oh boy, you'd better come with me to our quarters, Commodore.”

“Ho, ho! Sex! Great!”

Blushing, Jill pushed and guided Anna to their quarters.

Justice looked around at his grinning crew. “None of this leaves this room,” he ordered. Then he frowned.

“Carlos, could the SPP have gotten the truth out of Anna?”

“I don't think so. They found Gouda's body a few hours ago. I know they reviewed the archival records so they must have seen the digital images of Gouda getting into that ISM that Adam planted. I know they found the jewellery because the place was buzzing about it.”

Justice nodded. “Let's hope we've pulled this off. In the meantime, hopefully, we have a mission ahead of us. I'm aiming to be cleared for take off in the next few days. The sooner we are away from here the better.”

Justice turned to Carlos. “We can't keep Praveen aboard our vessel. We've no place for her other than the torpedo tube.”

“No problem. Jane will make arrangements for her to have a married couple's room aboard The Explorer. If I can get her cleared through security, we can hire her as a civilian archivist aboard The Explorer.”

“Great. Let's try to get things back to normal,” Justice said, just as loud bangs came from down the hall.

Everyone laughed. “Well, as normal as the DMC gets.”

 

 

 

Jill pushed Anna into their quarters and closed the hatch.

“I think you need a shower and some sleep,” she said, as she started to undo Anna's shirt. Anna grabbed her and kissed her long and hard.

“No,” Jill said firmly. “Shower and sleep first.”

“I want sex.”

“So do I but I want you well rested because there is sure to be an enquiry.” Jill undid, Anna's slacks and slipped them off her before heading into the head to get the shower going.

“I want sex now.”

Jill rolled her eyes and deciding for the time being the underwear could stay on, she steered Anna under the spray. An arm shot out and Jill was dragged into the shower with Anna.

Wet clothes were pulled off clumsily and hands shaking now with the release of stress sought comfort in the familiar touch of a lover.

“I was so scared,” Jill whispered, as the tip of her tongue ran over Anna's nipple. “Did they hurt you?”

“The one guy kept slapping me in the back of the head,” Anna muttered, as she ran her hands over the Jill's firm bottom drawing her sex closer into Anna's hips.

“Are you hurt? Do you need to see Sue?”

“I need you. That's all.”

Jill looked up at the woman she loved. Water ran over muscle smoothed by the softest, warm skin. Her cybernetic eyes showed little of her feelings but her soft smile and intense look somehow managed to show the intelligence and tenderness that was Anna. The face also revealed how tired her partner was.

Jill pulled Anna from the shower and the two of them towelled down. “Come. You need sleep. We won't have long before Grover and his merry crew are beating at our door again.”

“We haven't finished making love!”

“I know. Later. When I can have all night with you.” Jill curled up beside Anna on her bunk and held her lover close until Anna drifted off to sleep. It didn't take long.

 

 

 

The next morning, Anna was summoned by Vice-Admiral Grover. She woke with a headache and felt like she needed another ten hours of sleep. She showered and slipped into her dress uniform while Jill got her a coffee. They found Evmon hanging over a coffee cup looking embarrassed and tired.

“How are you feeling, Evmon?” Jill asked as she poured two more coffees. She noted that Evmon's purple spots were fading.

“Mortified. I'd like to climb into a hole and pull the dirt over me.”

Jill put down the coffees and gave Evmon a hug. “No way. You saved the day. Thank you. I know that was really difficult for you but if you and Justice had not created the diversion, the whole plan would have fallen apart. Right Anna?”

Anna nodded. “Don't worry about it. I'm sure the talk is about a certain Commodore who made a damn fool of herself while under the influence of truth serum.”

They tactfully talked of other things then until it was time to head to the Administrative section.

Jill came along and waited for Anna outside Grover's office. She wasn't taking any chances of Anna's rights being abused again. They hadn't waited long in the outer office before Anna was told to enter.

Anna straightened her shoulders, walked to the desk, came to attention and saluted. Grover stood, his face red with frustration. The salute was not returned. Anna lowered her arm anyway.

“Cyborn, I have no idea how you pulled this little caper off but I'm no fool, I know the DMC is behind the death of Habib Gouda. I find it just too convenient that Praveen Banik shows up here to marry Gouda and ends up with a member of the DMC crew instead. What do you have to say about all this?”

“Love will out, sir.”

“Don't you give me that crap! The truth, that's an order.”

“I imagine sir, that it happened just as the evidence would indicate. Habib Gouda did not love Praveen, he simple wanted her dowry. Once he got it, he tried to leave before he had to marry Praveen or give the jewels back. Unfortunately, he didn't know how to use a ISM correctly and must have blown the escape hatch by mistake.”

“Bull! Gouda was a smart man who knew his way around a star port. Where did he think he was going to go in a short range ISM?”

“Probably to meet up with a ship not far away from the space port, I suspect.”

“Then he'd be a damn fool. No ships were leaving on my order.”

“Yes, sir.”

“You got any other suggestions?”

Anna calculated the risk. High. Yet she couldn't help herself. She was royally pissed with Grover and his SPP. “The only other alternative I could think of would be that having left us, Gouda hid away in a depth charger bay hoping to do his own snooping around after the SPP were finished. Maybe while the SPP were doing their searches they accidentally opened the exterior bay gates and Gouda was exposed to space and died.

“We're lucky that didn't happen. There would have been a big investigation and the SPP would be up on man slaughter charges at the very least. Maybe more. Everyone knows that Gouda was a budget hatchet man for ISC. The ISC are so paranoid they'd probably think he'd was murdered. Then heads could have rolled from the top down.”

There was dead silence. Then Grover heaved his data pad against the fall. The pieces flew everywhere. His assistant opened the door to see what was going on and took the fire.

“Get out!”

“Yes, sir!” The assistant disappeared closing the door firmly behind him.

“You're fucking trying to blackmail me!”

“No, sir. I merely offer an alternative scenario. Personally, I'm far more comfortable with what the evidence suggests. Gouda died accidentally trying to escape with Praveen's jewellery.”

“Get out.”

“Yes, sir.”

Jill stood as soon as Anna came out of the office.

“Are you okay? I heard a crash.”

“Grover pitched his data pad against a bulkhead. He thinks we might have pulled a fast one on him.”

“Us? How silly. The DMC is a respected branch of the ISC and a unique division of Gagarin Star Port. Vice-Admiral Grover is just feeling stressed.”

“That must be it,” Anna smiled as they left the assistant's office.

Anna came to a halt in the hallway. “You feel like a walk? I'd like to talk to you.”

Jill frowned. “Okay.”

The Gagarin Star Port Station was a double circle. The hub and spokes that joined the two massive rings together housed the many life support and maintenance units. The lower ring, some five nautical miles in diameter, was docking bays, entertainment sections and administrative areas. The upper ring contained private apartments, park areas, recreational facilities, and hydroponic gardens. It was to this area that Anna headed. They first walked down an access arm to the hub, feeling as they did the change in gravity making them lighter and more buoyant. Once in the hub, they would take an elevator to the upper ring.

Anna waited until they were in the elevator before she spoke about what was on her mind. “I want to talk about what happened.”

“Anna, I'm sorry. I never meant for things to go so badly wrong. I mean who could have guessed that Gouda would hide and get himself killed.”

“The problem is, Jill, you are always sorry but you keep breaking the rules.”

“Praveen and Aja loved each other. I couldn't stand by and let her be married off to Gouda.”

“I agree. The cause was noble but the method, well it amounted to leading my crew in mutiny.”

“No!”

“And what would you call it then when a crew plots to do something illegal behind the backs of its commanding officers?”

“Damn it, Anna! You are putting it in its worse light. I didn't want you or Justice to know because I knew it would put you in an impossible position. You'd have to lie to senior officers.”

“Somehow that seems more tolerable than ending up being held for questioning as a murderer and abused.”

Tears ran down Jill's face. “Oh, Anna. I'm sorry.”

“If you'd come to Justice and I, we would have helped. Yes, we'd have gone by the book but we would have found a way to make sure Praveen married Aja and not Gouda. You have to trust me to command, Jill.”

“I do!”

“No, you don't. You continually break team and do your own thing. If you were anyone else, I'd have thrown you off my ship long ago.”

The blood drained from Jill's face. Eyes wet with tears looked horror-stricken. “You're not going to do that, are you? You're not ending our relationship?”

Anna gave Jill a quick hug. “No, I'm not going to do that although I've been sorely tempted at times,” Anna joked. “I just need you to understand that when you are aboard a DMC ship, you have to follow the chain of command. You have to trust me.”

They had left the elevator and walked down the access hall to the outer rim. Here they walked through a park area. Anna found a bench and sat down with Jill.

“Anna, I do trust you!”

Anna sighed sadly. “No, you don't. Not really. That's why you back off every time I talk about us making a commitment to each other. You don't trust anyone in authority because of your dad.”

Anger flashed across Jill's face. “Don't bring him into this! That's not it at all.”

“Isn't it? Then why can't you accept authority?”

“I don't know. I don't plan it, Anna. Things just seem to happen.”

“And as soon as they do, you have to do things your way because you don't trust me or anyone else.”

“No!”

“Yes.”

“Anna, I know it seems that way. I do trust you. I do respect your leadership.”

Anna sighed. They weren't getting anywhere with this discussion and Jill was getting more and more defensive. It was time to back off.

“Okay. I just need you to think about what I said and how I feel, okay? And especially, think before you react to another situation.”

“I'm not a child. Don't be patronizing, Anna.”

“I didn't mean to be. But I'm not just your lover, I'm also the commanding officer of the DMC and you work for the DMC. This is not the first time we've discussed this.”

Jill was sobbing now, her head down. “I know. I never meant all this to happen.”

Anna laughed and gave Jill a long hug. “You are a magnet for trouble. Come on, enough of this, I have something I want to show you.”

“No!”

“No?”

“Damn it, Anna. You treat me like a liability that you just happen to love. I don't want to feel like that. I want to feel that I'm an important member of the DMC crew.”

Anna looked surprised. Sometimes she just didn't understand how to read Jill. “You are an important member of the crew. You are our engineer.”

“Toda is your engineer. I'm just along for the ride. If I wasn't sleeping with the commodore I'd be long gone. I'm just a troublesome mistress.”

Anna frowned. “I don't like you identifying yourself that way. If you were anyone else I'd probably slug them for saying that. There had better not be any member of the DMC who thinks that way or they'll be the ones getting the boot.

“Yeah, Toda is my engineer but did he come up with the idea to build the information gathering torpedoes? Or the ISMs for The Mariner? Did he risk his life to go off into space to heal a dangerous alien being or intercept our rescue ship? You have skills that no one else aboard The Mariner has. You think outside the box, you are daring and you have the practical skills to get things done. I respect you for that and I believe the crew does too. More than that, it's skills that the DMC needs if it's to survive. We're a small group with an enormous task. It's our creative problem-solving that gets us through, not our fire power or the size of our fleet. If you were still a member of the ISC and not an independent adviser and my lover, I'd tell you that you are a pain in the ass, assign some discipline action and be damn thankful you are on my team.”

“Oh Anna!” Jill clung to her partner. “I love you so much. I will try to stay out of trouble.”

Anna chuckled and kissed Jill's head. “I can hope. You up to looking at my surprise now?”

Jill wiped her tears away with a tissue. “Sure. I bet I look a mess.”

Anna examined her. “Except for the red frog eyes, you look beautiful.”

Jill giggled and swatted Anna playfully.

They walked on leaving the park area through a emergency pressure hatch and heading into a residential area. This area of the space station had just been refitted. Research had shown that the traditional utilitarian quarters had led to depression. In this area, the housing units were narrow two-story homes of varying sizes and texture. The walkway was lit by old fashioned lamp posts and small herb gardens were maintained in front of each facade. With some imagination it could be a street in old New Orleans.

Anna walked to a small unit at the end of a row. She used her security code to unlock the door.

“Welcome to my new home.” Anna beamed.

“Your home?”

“Yes. Totally pressure sealed with its own emergency life support system in case of a bulkhead rupture. Living room, kitchen and half-bath down stairs, and two bedrooms and a bath upstairs.”

“A house.”

Anna looked at Jill. She looked uneasy. “It's not for us. I'm not pushing you into anything. I just saw when I was in New Mexico visiting Carlos' family that having a home is important. It gives you roots and a sense of belonging. I've never had that in my life.”

Jill gave Anna's hand a reassuring squeeze. “I know.”

“I shopped around and these renovated housing units are well made and are to be great investments. It can be a place where I can be something other than Anna Cyborn, the cyborg oddity, or Commodore of the DMC. Down the road, if I'm transferred, I can sell for a good profit and hopefully have enough by then to buy some land on Earth.”

Jill relaxed and smiled. “Show me around. I really like the feel of the street and the place looks open and airy.”

Anna showed Jill around with a good deal of pride. Jill laughed when she discovered that Anna had forgotten that buying a house was not enough. She had no sheets, pots or pans, dishes or any nicknacks that make a house a home.

“Anna, you are hopeless,” Jill chuckled.

“I'll learn,” Anna smiled. “You could help. You seem to know all about this home stuff.”

“We'll all help, that is if you trust me to meddle.”

“You wouldn't be meddling. I'd appreciate the help. I'm hoping you'll feel comfortable enough to spend a lot of time here.”

“As much as you want me to.”

“I think we have some unfinished business from last night.”

“Hmm, you rolled over and went to sleep on me. You owe me big, Commodore.”

“I think I can live up to your expectations,” Anna smirked as she pulled Jill into her arms.

 

 

 

Some weeks later, The Explorer with The Mariner docked inside her cargo bay arrived at the massive belt of dark matter that the DMC was scheduled to explore. On the bridge of The Mariner, Adam and Anna double-checked the various data stations for their upcoming mission.

“I don't know why we are bothering, Commodore. We're about to explore in the section of space voted as the most boring this side of the galaxy,” Adam complained.

Anna smiled. “I think we've had enough excitement for a while. Besides, with so little to observe out here, we'll be able to give our full attention to Aja and Praveen's wedding.”

“Wedding? Evmon and Jill are turning it into the event of the millennium. They'll be talking about it for generations to come.”

Anna felt an all too familiar trickle of dread. “I'm hoping that's an exaggeration.”

“Clearly, you don't know about the jewelled canopy or the wedding dinner for five thousand.”

“What?”

“Or the hologram white horse and elephants?”

“Elephants!” Anna got up and hurried off the bridge. “Jill! Where are you?”

 

Author's Page

Return to Main Page