Buffy the Vampire Slayer

“Out of Sight, Out of Mind ”

Episode 11

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is copyright 20th Century Fox Film Corporation . All original content of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog


TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. SUNNYDALE - CEMETERY – NIGHT

Buffy, wearing Angel's leather jacket, sits on the tombstone, her legs dangling. Next to her, Angel stands in leather coat, looking up at the universe.

Angel, pensively

ANGEL

The stars persist over the dust below.

Buffy, jumping off, cheerfully

BUFFY

Don't get philosophical on me. But please, do get on me in other ways.

Angel, facing her, direct

ANGEL

And what would those be?

Circling the vampire enticingly, the Slayer slowly walks two fingers on his upper chest.

Buffy, flirting

BUFFY

How firm is your control?

Angel, suggestively

ANGEL

How do you like it?

The Slayer rounds Angel's side, her fingers now dragging a line across the leather covering the left bicep. Stopping her orbiting motion, she resumes the finger walk, cresting the outside shoulder, over the collarbone, passing the lapel of the jacket, and halting short of the neck and bare flesh.

Buffy, leaning in and whispering in Angel's ear, breathily

BUFFY

Play hard to get for me.

Guessing her intentions, Angel runs and Buffy gives chase. They fly past the tombstones, trees, and mausoleums, heading for an expense of open grass.

Once clear of obstacles, Buffy tackles Angel and they come to a rolling stop. Before he can recover, she lowers her lips to his and kisses him.

Just when the mutual contact deepens, Angel vamps out. Buffy jumps back but not quickly enough, the laceration proof of it. Undaunted, she brings a finger to her lower lip and as the hungry vampire watches, she gathers the blood on it, squeezing more for good measure. Angel visibly struggles to stay on the ground and not go after her.

Keenly aware of that, Buffy crouches near him and smears the blood on his lip, before taking off in turn. Angel hisses frustration, digs his hands into the grass and soil, and remains.

Having stopped running, Buffy turns and watches him struggle from a distance.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – WILLOW'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

Buffy lies alone in Willow's bed, eyes fixed on the ceiling. With a sigh, the Slayer flops onto her stomach and crawls to the edge. Poking her head over it, she looks down at equally awake Willow. The witch is on the floor, encased securely and fully in a sleeping bag; only her head remains visible.

BUFFY

Hey you.

WILLOW

Hey back.

Buffy, plaintively

BUFFY

I want my Willow.

Willow, in small voice, sad

WILLOW

Don't; I cannot.

Buffy, retaliating and regretting the words the moment they pass her lips, mean-spirited

BUFFY

I kissed Angel tonight.

Hurt and tears pool in the witch's eyes.

WILLOW

...

Buffy, reaching towards Willow's face, pleading

BUFFY

I'm sorry. Please?

Willow turns to her side, away from the Slayer, rejecting Buffy's advances and her touch.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – MORNING

Xander aimlessly splits the crowd of STUDENTS, lacking backpack, school supplies, or textbooks. Without a clear destination in mind, he spots Buffy heading for a computer lab and starts to make for her. Until, that is, the Slayer bumps into a GIRL Xander did not notice till then.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – MORNING

In contrast to other the STUDENTS around her, the GIRL appears blurry. Buffy almost tramples the GIRL, walking thru the same space without slowing down. The Slayer appears distracted and so absorbed in thoughts that she does not notice sending the GIRL lurching. Buffy continues past as if nothing is wrong and enters the classroom.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – MORNING

Xander stops and turns pale. The GIRL, in sharp focus the moment Buffy bulldozes her, catches his eye with her stumble. What spikes his fear following that is the appearance of a MONSTER behind her.

Tall and rail thin, the thing is a gaunt six plus feet of human body topped by a masked face. Grey, ripped rags cover it ankle to neck and the head is gone in a dirty white sack tied secure with rope. Abnormally long fingers and toes end the hands and feet respectively. The MONSTER looks like it stepped out of the nightmare.

As abruptly as it appeared, the MONSTER vanishes; the GIRL turns fuzzy again and proceeds to scurry away, not issuing even a single peep of protests at the rough treatment from Slayer. She just becomes an out of focus blob, hurrying past the unaware STUDENTS.

Stuck scared, Xander watches the GIRL rush past him and melt into the crowd. There is no sign of the MONSTER.

Xander, trembling, looking around in panic

XANDER

Oh God, it could be anywhere!

Passing STUDENTS give him funny looks and wide berth.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – COMPUTER LAB OFFICE – MORNING

Buffy enters and finds Jenny busy at keyboard. She waits patiently.

Soon enough, her presence is noticed and acknowledged with a once over that takes in the Slayer's stiff posture and atypical, awkward silence.

Jenny lets go of the work and spins her chair to face Buffy.

Jenny, calmly

JENNY

This personal?

Buffy, tongue-tied, stammering

BUFFY

Um …

JENNY

That's a yes. Close the door.

The Slayer does and returns to the previous spot.

Buffy, bursting out with the trouble on her mind, despondent

BUFFY

It has been bundling and avoidance at night. I miss her: being with her, wrapped in her and by her.

Jenny, sympathetically

JENNY

Willow?

Pause.

Jenny, sternly

JENNY

I won't help you drug her.

Buffy, protesting loudly

BUFFY

Not that!

Pause.

Buffy, shyly

BUFFY

… Desire is lacking.

Jenny, confused

JENNY

Have you seen the way she devours you?

Buffy, unhappy

BUFFY

In public, girlfriend evolved from appearance to habit over the months. Recently however, things fell apart in the bedroom where there is a conscious choice. Willow sleeps on the floor, separate; she won't allow there to be us.

Pause.

Buffy, bitter

BUFFY

You cannot do that to someone you love. You simply cannot!

Jenny, frowning

JENNY

What's going on? What is the nature of your relationship?

BUFFY

One-sided.

Jenny has to think about that for few seconds.

Jenny, serious

JENNY

You lost me. What are you trying to accomplish, Buffy?

Buffy, emphatically

BUFFY

Give her what she needs so I can get what I want.

Jenny spins back to the desk, picks up the phone, and then dials.

BUFFY

What are you doing?

Jenny, over her shoulder, evenly

JENNY

Calling Giles.

Buffy quickly turns and puts a hand on the handle.

Jenny, voice brooking no argument, ordering

 

Sit!

Buffy promptly takes the remaining, empty chair.

JENNY

Giles, it's Jenny. Buffy requested chovihani help; you need to be in on this.

Jenny hangs up.

JENNY

And what do you want?

Buffy, firmly

BUFFY

Benefits.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INTRODUCTION

On the screen, various images of Buffy and the Scooby Gang appear and a voice reads the passage.

BUFFY VOICE-OVER

Into every generation she is born; one girl in the entire world, a Chosen one. She alone will wield the strength and the skill to fight against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness; to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their numbers. She is the Slayer.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – LIBRARY OFFICE – EARLY AFTERNOON

Buffy and Willow are together in lunch, Jenny sits on borrowed chair, Giles is at the desk sipping tea from the thermos cup, and Xander occupies a slot not overrun by stacks of books and perches precariously. The teenage boy still looks a little shaken.

BUFFY

So, Bogeyman.

Xander, heatedly

XANDER

It happened! I saw it!

Buffy, in a tone that says she does not, condescending

BUFFY

We believe you; big, bad monster with really long and sharp teeth scared little you.

Xander, defensively

XANDER

Fingers and toes.

BUFFY

Riiiiight.

JENNY

Buffy, shush. Tell us about the girl.

Xander concentrates on the memory, giving it his all, and fails.

Xander, finding words lacking to describe the experience, frustrated

XANDER

I remember her indistinct. I don't remember her sharp!

Willow, onto something, intrigued

WILLOW

You remember the monster clearly thou?

Xander nods sullenly.

Giles and Jenny look at each other meaningfully.

GILES

Glamour?

JENNY

Enchantment?

Willow, certain now

WILLOW

Magic.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – COMPUTER LAB OFFICE – EARLY AFTERNOON

The lunch meeting of Scooby Gang has moved to Jenny's office. The blinds are closed, the door is locked, and barred, and a new item has appeared.

The round, tall table that used to serve as the plant stand is now in the middle of the space, surrounded by Buffy, Willow, and Giles. Closer to the black cloth draped over the table, opposing Jenny, Xander shifts nervously. Separating him and the gypsy is a large crystal ball.

Jenny takes Xander's right hand in her left and motions at Buffy. The Slayer hits the lights while Willow pulls out a cell phone and starts recording the reading.

The chovihani brushes her free hand's fingers over the surface of the ball and a murky, indistinct image forms above it, up in the air. Floating, it is a much larger, 3D representation of the crystal one below.

Still holding onto Xander, Jenny reaches up and snaps her fingers in front of Xander's face. His gaze grows unfocused and he enters into a trance, swaying lightly in place. The gypsy's power is nothing like the stereotype and the witnesses to the act are suitably and deeply impressed. There is a measure of newfound respect in Buffy, Willow, and Giles eyes.

The vision coalesces into a replay of this morning from Xander's point of view, starting with the Slayer bump and reveal, followed by crisp image of the GIRL and the addition of the MONSTER into the mix. The conclusion is far different when the memory gets to the last part, split second before the MONSTER'S disappearing act.

Things happen in rapid succession: the MONSTER breaks from the vision and looks directly at them; Xander screams; the crystal ball fractures with a resounding crack; the 3D movie stops, leaving the room in the weak glow of the cell phone; Buffy tackles Willow and Giles gets Xander down; the sphere explodes, sending deadly shrapnel in all directions; Jenny glows blue as a shield forms and stops the projectiles from shredding her. Silence falls.

The sun enters the room thru the broken windows and lights an office looking very much like a bomb has gone off. Everyone, except the gypsy is on the floor, carefully picks their way up past the debris. Jenny appears unharmed yet clearly rattled.

Xander, coming to and taking in the destruction, defiantly

XANDER

I am so not taking the blame for this. No way, no time!

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – COMPUTER LAB OFFICE – EARLY AFTERNOON

Snyder faces - the much chagrined and wearing his best repentant expression – Xander across a sea of ruined office.

Snyder, scrutinizing Xander like some sort of a lab specimen, thoughtfully

SNYDER

In a minor miracle, there might actually be infinitesimal chance of Buffy Summers graduating. You, on the other hand, baffle the odds. Explain, again, why you were doing the occult and what went not right enough, since you are still alive.

Xander, innocently

XANDER

It was an accident?

Snyder, his shoes crunching on approach, getting in Xander's face, disapproving

SNYDER

Color the universe surprised Xander, and I say that as someone who has seen your mug too often so forgive the familiarity, but I don't believe you.

Xander, squeaking out and not very convincingly, lying poorly

XANDER

It was a freak accident?

Snyder's smile announces the capture of this particular prey.

Snyder, in his element, practically drooling at the prospects conjured

SNYDER

Suspension is too quick, too easy; too clean. I am thinking work release program: TA and custodial duties. How are you with demeaning, manual labor?

Xander, uneasy

XANDER

Not on good terms.

Satisfied, the Principal turns and start walking away.

Snyder, over his shoulder

SNYDER

Perfect. Let's go to my office and sign your freedom away.

Snyder abruptly stops and holds the silence for a few beats.

Snyder, as if the idea just occurred to him, offhand

SNYDER

Or I could call the police?

Xander, surrendering

XANDER

No orange jumpsuit?

Snyder, purring

SNYDER

No, no, no; we will find you something in pink. Think scared straight with more laughs and humiliation.

Pause.

Snyder, moving again

SNYDER

Come, delinquent.

Xander slowly follows the Principal.

Xander, under his breath, darkly

XANDER

If anyone ever questions my loyalty, I will murder them.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY OFFICE – EARLY AFTERNOON

Buffy is fussing over Willow, putting Hello Kitty Band-Aids over tiny cuts. The witch visibly enjoys the attentive care, while working on her phone. Willow is seated on the cabinet and Buffy stands in front of her, applying - arguably unnecessary - first aid.

Taking a moment out, Jenny and Giles watch the two teenagers with a knowing, shared small smile. The chovihani and Watcher then return to searching the WAO.

Willow, the first to find info, puzzled

WILLOW

Her name is Marcie Ross and according to school records, same year from freshmen on as us. We have classes together.

Pause.

Willow, guiltily

WILLOW

Giles, I don't remember her; at all. Should I not remember something? Anything? What kind of awful person does not …

Giles, cutting in, soothingly

GILES

It's okay, not your fault. Send her picture and schedule to everyone in the group; Xander will draw her out.

Willow, presciently

WILLOW

That has martyr written all over it.

Buffy, her mouth getting away from her, blabbing

BUFFY

I would in a heartbeat for a hot guy.

Pause.

Buffy, backpedaling furiously under Willow's withering gaze

BUFFY

For the Slayer cause, I mean. Because this ex-cheerleader? Taken and taken.

Willow is not going to let the Slayer off that easy. Making the first move towards reconciliation in the bedroom, she puts her hands on Buffy's hips. Giles quickly looks away.

Buffy looks trapped into inaction so Willow closes her eyes and presents her cheek. Getting a clue, the Slayer kisses the witch on the offered site.

Turns out, it is only the beginning of an extended apology. Willow turns her head and Buffy dutifully repeats on the other side.

For a grand finale, Willow puckers her lips and expectantly puts them out there. After a moment of hesitation, Buffy places a quick, chaste peck and is rewarded with a warm hug.

Willow, warmly

WILLOW

Forgiven.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – AFTERNOON

Xander, dressed in pink jumpsuit - to the giggles and snickers of milling about STUDENTS - stoically stands guard over the door to the classroom. Phone in hand, he compares each exiting STUDENT to the one in the picture.

The flow stops for a while before a blurry form emerges timidly out of the empty classroom's bowels. Even the TEACHER is gone by that point, quizzically examining the femininely dressed teenager earlier and letting it go with a shrug.

Xander, to Marcie, fake cheerful

XANDER

Hi Marcie, I'm Xander.

The girl jumps, shocked that someone noticed her, let alone called her by name. And in that instant, she becomes clear again.

Having located and revealed Marcie, Xander puts away the phone.

Xander, pressing on, rushing out in a flood of words

XANDER

Marcie Ross, sophomore; we have class together. Well, not together, because I cut all the time, but technically we do.

Marcie, shocked

MARCIE

You can see me?

Xander, touching Marcie on the nose, silly

XANDER

BEEP.

Suddenly, Xander's hand that was on Marcie's face is caught and wrenched violently. Cordelia twists it behind his back and shoves him into the wall.

Cordelia, menacing

CORDELIA

Listen up creep central: you harass, I hurt hurt you.

XANDER

Marcie help, madwoman!

Not hearing an answer, Xander turns his head and finds the shy girl gone. Not just blurry or hard to see – gone completely. Noticing his action, Cordelia take her eyes off Xander and sweeps them over the area. There is no sign of Marcie.

Cordelia, becoming dazed

CORDELIA

Where did … go?

Cordelia blinks and shakes her head clear. She forgets about Marcie and comes back to the insult.

Cordelia, twisting the arm further and forcing Xander on his toes, irate

CORDELIA

What did you call me, monkey?!

Xander, terrified

XANDER

Something that I will painfully regret very shortly.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY OFFICE – LATE AFTERNOON

Buffy and Willow arrive in the office after school to find it taken over with open books and Giles and Jenny both on WAO, chairs close together.

BUFFY

Those of you without personal life, we salute you.

The gypsy and the Watcher increase the separation between their chairs in direct contradiction to that statement.

Willow, quicker on the uptake, excited

WILLOW

You guys going out?

Jenny, noncommittally

JENNY

There was coffee and tea, joined research here and at Rupert's house. Some of the conversation might have meandered outside work.

Buffy, to Giles, smugly

BUFFY

First name basis - there is hope for the tweed empire yet.

Giles, perturbed more than he lets on, cautioning Buffy against pushing the issue

GILES

Ahem.

Buffy, sullenly

BUFFY

I could have cracked a Xander about an old, former power rising, but I refrained. Instead, I kept to tasteful mockery and get harrumph. Tea and crumpets that.

Jenny, stepping in and trying to defuse the situation, pushing an illustration on Buffy

JENNY

Bolla, the Hope Eater.

The Slayer and Willow lean in to get a closer look at a black and white woodcut print resembling the MONSTER from the vision. Latin text covers the other page.

Buffy, dramatically

BUFFY

I'm melting! Melting!

GILES

Don't be a nitwit.

Buffy, grinning

BUFFY

Gitwit.

GILES

Huh?

WILLOW

Buffy, be nice to the British man. Your allowance depends on it. No money, no candy, no excuse to feel up Willow.

Buffy plops down and lifts surprised, squealing Willow into her lap; arms go around the witch and embrace them into one.

Buffy, rakishly

BUFFY

I don't need an excuse.

Willow, lightly

WILLOW

Who are you and where did you put the straight Buffy?

Buffy squeezes the witch in reply and Willow settles into a closer snuggle to the amusement of Jenny and discomfort of Giles.

BUFFY

So, Ebola.

Jenny, summarizing

JENNY

Bolla, gender unknown, feasts on depressed, suicidal humans, until they are bone dry. You know the sordid rest: bullet, jump, hanging, slit wrists. Elusive and extremely resistant to magic – you saw what it did at lunch.

Giles, heavily

GILES

Jenny and I figured the identity fairly quickly; the bigger problem is killing the Hope Eater. We can't see it, we can't hurt it and it won't make same mistake twice.

Buffy, accepting before they ask her, taking it upon herself, strongly

BUFFY

I will be bait.

Willow, crying out, alarmed

WILLOW

No!

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MARCIE'S HOUSE – LATE AFTERNOON

Xander stands under what he assumes to be Marcie's bedroom and signs at the open, second story windows.

XANDER

I can't sing a love song
Like the way it's meant to be
Well, I guess I'm not that good anymore
But baby, that's just me

And I will love you, baby - Always
And I'll be there forever and a day - Always
I'll be there till the stars don't shine
Till the heavens burst and
The words don't rhyme
And I know when I die, you'll be on my mind
And I'll love you - Always

Marcie appears in the window, poking her upper half out of it. She claps and laughs in delight.

Xander, bowing with gusto, invitingly

XANDER

Espresso Pump for two?

Marcie, enthusiastically

MARCIE

I will be right down.

Abruptly, in front of Xander, Bolla materializes out of thin air and pokes a long finger into his chest.

Bolla, with a raspy voice, chilling

BOLLA

Harris, I tasted your family.

The monster raises its head, sniffing food, and then takes off, fading out as it goes.

Left behind, Xander shakes like a leaf.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – GILES' APARTMENT – EVENING

Willow is a curled ball of misery on the couch. Giles is next her, withdrawn and guarded.

Buffy stands in front of Jenny and motions her to proceed.

Jenny brings forth a tree branch, stripped of bark, with symbols carved into it. On the couch, Willow starts crying and Giles refuses to look at Buffy, directing his gaze elsewhere and far off.

Jenny, speaking in Romani, casting a curse using a clear cube

JENNY

I am Buffy Summers – take away the name

I am the Slayer – take away the fame

I am loved – take away the feelings

I am known – take away the memories

I am born – take away my existence

I have no name, I have no past; I am nobody.

With each line, the symbols vanish and when they are gone, Jenny hands the stick to the Slayer. It is done.

Buffy flickers and becomes unfocused.

Willow stops crying and looks around confused. Giles relaxes, sinking into the couch, and Jenny comes over to them.

Jenny, concerned

JENNY

What's the matter, Willow?

Willow, brightening visibly, smiling thru tears

WILLOW

Nothing of importance: a sad thought that is gone now and better for it.

Buffy flinches, unable to not take offense at being dismissed so easily.

Willow, jumping up sprightly, happy

WILLOW

Patrol?

Answering nods from Giles and Jenny.

WILLOW

I will call Xander.

Unable to help herself, Buffy rushes up to Willow and has to nimbly step aside as the moving witch does not even notice her. The Slayer stands there, crushed by the brush off, even thou she knew it was coming - just not to this extent. Then, as Willow picks up the phone and dials, Buffy turns and runs from Giles' apartment.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – STREET - EVENING

Bolla halts in the middle of an empty street and lifts his nose to the winds.

Bolla, in cracking tone, pleased

BOLLA

Oh hoo hoo, that's a right surprise. A fat little Slayer, drenched in more, yet under the lies … interesting.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – BUFFY'S HOUSE – LATE EVENING

The security light announces the arrival of Buffy at her home's door. Tired and hungry, she opens the deadbolt and unlocks the knob. Turning it and pushing the door open the Slayer comes face to face with her mother.

Buffy retrieves the keys and tries to push past her mother, who inadvertently blocks her way.

Joyce, blinking rapidly, looking right past Buffy, scared

JOYCE

Is someone there?

Pause.

Joyce, eyes widening, startled

JOYCE

Who are you?

Spotting a set of keys, Joyce rips them out of Buffy's hand and starts pushing her out.

Joyce, yelling

JOYCE

Help! Police!

Buffy, easily fending off and restraining her mother, harsher than she intended

BUFFY

Mom, chill!

Buffy tries to move them both inside when Joyce takes it to another level.

With her mother trashing and screaming like a banshee and nosy neighbors imminent, Buffy has no choice. She puts her mother into a chokehold, waits till Joyce passes out, then drags her inside and closes the door behind them.

Buffy, sarcastic

BUFFY

That went well.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE - BUFFY'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

Buffy sprawls in the bed, alone for the first time in months. Things with Willow are estranged, but the witch still sleeps in the same room. Not tonight.

The Slayer takes out the piece of wood and considers it; she tosses the stick towards the ceiling and watches it return. Buffy repeats, mesmerized with motion.

Buffy, wistfully

BUFFY

What is life worth?

The Slayer sets the key to her return on the nightstand and goes to sleep.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE - BUFFY'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

Bolla appears and snatches the wood, breaking it in half with a snap. His spine suffers nearly the same fate from Buffy's kick; his chest collides first with the foot and then the monster's back meets the wall.

The Slayer is on him in a flash, raining blows, but he swats her away. Rushing to the window, Bolla crashes right thru it, rolls down the roof, and lands on the lawn. Disappearing, he leaves no trace of his escape route.

Footsteps sound outside the room. Buffy gets into bed as her mother runs in and makes a beeline for the window. Confident she will not be spotted, the teenager pulls the sheets over her head.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – ANGEL'S APARTMENT – PREDAWN

Buffy lets herself in and meets the pointy end of the sword under her chin.

ANGEL

Talk fast.

Buffy, with a confidence she does not feel

BUFFY

Hey lover boy, miss me?

Angel takes the blade away.

Angel, disgusted

ANGEL

I don't do vampire groupies. Take the whore outside.

Buffy's eyes fill with tears and again, she runs away.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH - HALLWAY – MORNING

Xander, complete in his pink jumpsuit, navigates his way to Marcie. He falls into step with her and his about to greet her shy smile when he is swarmed by CORDETTES and dragged away to the women's bathroom.

Cordelia, amiably

CORDELIA

You do not want to step into that. He is harder to scrape off than dog crap from a sole of Jimmy Choos.

Marcie, in awe for being noticed by the top of Sunnydale High's social pyramid, meekly

MARCIE

Marcie.

Behind the pair, Xander's fingers are pried from the doorframe and he meets his cruel fate inside.

Cordelia, noticing and basking in the open worship, friendly

CORDELIA

Want to hang?

Pause.

Cordelia, not giving the girl time to respond, listing on her fingers

CORDELIA

Laugh at my jokes, complement and make appropriate noises when I stop talking, and we CPR the fashion you. Your clothes say money, your style cries Willow. Breaking story: don't be Willow.

Marcie, supplying eagerly

MARCIE

I got own credit cards.

CORDELIA

Welcome to club me.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY OFFICE – LATE MORNING

Xander is holding an ice pack to his eye when Giles walks in and pats him on the back.

GILES

Good job.

XANDER

Sure, rub it in.

Giles, candidly

GILES

Bolla lost a meal and Marcie is safe. The how is less important than the end result.

Xander, something nagging at him, worriedly

XANDER

I can't help but think we are forgetting something.

Giles, dismissively

GILES

Nonsense; Slayer-less for years, the Watchers' Council gets it done. We can do no less.

XANDER

You right, we will.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY OFFICE – EARLY AFTERNOON

Buffy sits on the grass outside, riveted to the window. Inside, Willow, Giles, Xander, and Jenny are talking and laughing. The blonde is the outsider and it hurts something fierce.

Bolla, interrupting, wheezing

BOLLA

Hope is finite, Slayer.

Buffy ignores him.

Bolla, maliciously

BOLLA

You are marked.

The Slayer laughs, catching the monster by surprise. The second of indecision sees Buffy explode and close the substantial distance between her and the monster. Even as it fades, Mr. Pointy finds a target and burrows deep.

Buffy, singsong

BUFFY

I know something you don't.

The Slayer delivers a vicious leg kick with her full power behind it to Bolla's lower limb, breaking the monster's skinny leg.

The Hope Eater goes down with a whimper and becomes visible. The left tibia and fibula are both exposed in a complete fracture. The lower portion is hinged at an angle and a gruesome sight to behold.

Buffy, looking down at the monster, smiling

BUFFY

Funny, seems you need relief. I will do that for you. Not for me. For you.

Buffy kneels by the Hope Eater and reaches for her stake. Her hand closes on empty air.

The Slayer reacts but not fast enough; invisible hand presses down on her shoulder and newly materialized and very own Mr. Pointy is driven into her right thigh.

Bolla, whispering in Buffy's ear, cackling

BOLLA

Nah ah, dear.

The pressure and the source are gone as quickly as they appeared. Grass impressions show the swiftly retreating monster, but Buffy is in no shape to chase it.

Bolla, from a safe distance, challenging

BOLLA

You can't see the real me yet you know how. Despair and let me in. Let me in and then we see who is stronger.

And with those words the monster is gone.

Buffy grits her teeth and pulls the stake out. She ignores the freely running blood and with iron determination heads for nurse's office. It will take more than this wound to put down the Slayer.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. SUNNYDALE - BUFFY'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

Seated at the desk, Buffy writes in her diary.

BUFFY VOICE-OVER

Second night. As long as I don't make physical contact, people don't perceive me. They see a ghost, a movement in the corner of their eye, a shadow, all forgotten the instance the tenuous contact is broken. Most mixed have the same trouble – not vampires, not quite, but it is more difficult for them to detect me. It makes the dusting easier, one thing gone right.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE - BUFFY'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

Buffy sprawls on the bed stomach first, working on her diary.

Buffy, a little down

BUFFY VOICE-OVER

Sixth night. The loneliness is the worst; I seek out the fights to reassure that I exist. To walk and not to be seen; to talk and not to be heard; to be without being – it feels empty. The voices of others don't matter without them being directed at me. I feel so alone.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE - BUFFY'S HOUSE – NIGHT

The monster stands on the lawn, looking at the dark windows upstairs.

Bolla, calculatingly

BOLLA

You won't break the curse and I won't indulge you; learned that lesson. Wonder what will snap first: you or the stick, hmm?

Pause.

Bolla, creepily

BOLLA

I will be close, helping. First to taste you, Summers. Last, too.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – BUFFY'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

Buffy rest on the floor, her back against the bed, open diary in hand.

Buffy, feeling blue

BUFFY VOICE-OVER

Ninth night. I can't bring myself to visit Angel or be near him; the words fester. That is how I know what we have is real. Shitty way to confirm.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE - BUFFY'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

No longer the room of teenage girl, it is converted into a generic guest room and now serves as temporary storage space.

The Slayer checks under the mattress, piled high with clothes; she retrieves the diary and not caring, nestles on the bed.

Buffy, opening the diary and writing, finding refuge in hollow humor

BUFFY VOICE-OVER

Tenth day. Figures it took mom over a week to notice she does not have a daughter. At least my stuff is not in driveway sale or Goodwill bin. Nice to know the desire to squirrel stuff in the attic is genetic.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE - BUFFY'S HOUSE – NIGHT

The Hope Eater is back outside the Slayer's home, right outside the bedroom window. He has his hand against the glass, long fingers splayed. The room is empty but the bathroom is lit and occupied as evidenced by the slightly ajar door.

CUT TO:

INT. BUFFY'S HOUSE – BUFFY'S BATHROOM - NIGHT

Buffy is wearing a PJ top and underwear. Her pajama pants lie crumpled on the floor. She sits on the toilet, knife in hand, and examines the right thigh carefully.

There is no trace of the earlier injury: scar, discolored skin, or faint sign of past healing. All is a smooth expense of flesh, unblemished and pristine in its condition.

Buffy, cutting a long, crimson line with blade, detached

BUFFY

I leave no wake in life.

Pause.

Buffy, starting a second, parallel laceration, impartially watching the welling and dripping blood

BUFFY

This exists; I exist.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE - BUFFY'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

The diary is out and so is a bottle of alcohol.

Buffy, wallowing drunk on the floor, scribbling furiously and sloppily, tearfully

BUFFY

Fifteenth night. Broke down and watched Willow thru the window for hours. Best friend Willow: studying Willow; talking with Xander Willow; thinking Willow; happy Willow; modestly changing in the bathroom Willow, sleeping Willow. Not having Angel hurts; losing Willow blows. Both gone is unbearable.

Bolla flickers in and out of view, a perfect statue lurking the corner of the room; watching and feeding.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – CEMETARY – NIGHT

Willow, Giles, Xander, and Angel patrol together. The vampire is in the front, ready to take the brunt of the attack, while the Scooby Gang supports him.

Buffy slides out from behind a mausoleum and trails the group.

WILLOW

What makes this different?

GILES

The Watchers Council trusts Angel.

Xander, piping up, rudely

XANDER

I don't. No, wait: not dislike, hate. Carry on kissing the reformed vampire's ass.

Giles, pointedly

GILES

Inexperienced, emotional teenager who gets herself and her Watcher killed or seasoned fighter: I vote second.

WILLOW

With you there; just wish he came in a she.

Xander, pretending grievous affront, pouting

XANDER

I don't count?

Willow, giggling

WILLOW

Too much woman.

Buffy halts and tightens her hands into fists. Tears run down her face and it is all she can do to hold the scream inside. Her friends don't need nor want her.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE - BUFFY'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

Buffy is parked at the desk, wearing Angel's leather jacket. The matching cross is out. In front of her lie diary, a chewed up pen, and bottles of pills.

The mirror reflects bleary eyes, dark circles, and bone-deep exhaustion. The Slayer is a shadow of self.

Visible behind her towers Bolla, tips of skeletal fingers placed on Buffy's temples. He looks fuller, filled in; the weight gain is tangible. The Hope Eater is swollen like a tick and gorging on more.

Buffy, picking up the pen and writing, depressed

BUFFY VOICE-OVER

Eighteenth night. All will and determination to fight on has left me. I have long ago prepared myself for the time when I reached the end. I feel calm, at peace, and grateful that I can go to sleep painlessly. I feel justified in terminating a life which no longer holds any hope of having a purpose. I am defeated and exhausted physically and emotionally.

Mother, I love you always and my love has never faltered. I grieve the anguish I cause and the joy of the daughter I selfishly take away. I'm sorry.

Angel, Willow: I want you to know that I have a deep affection for you. I am very grateful for all you brought into my life. I wish we could have continued, happy. It is my fault we won't. Please forgive me.

All and rest of you, I ask you to keep my memory alive in your hearts - to live on is what I conceive of immortality. Please think of me fondly. Remember that which was good and right in our relationship and forgive me for the mistakes. Now that it is all said I feel at peace.

Love,

Buffy Summers

PS. Why did the Slayer cross the road?

Buffy drops the pen and stares into the mirror, her gaze blank.

Bolla releases the hold on the Slayer's temples and slides to the side. Kneeling, he opens the pill bottles and lines them up.

Buffy turns her head slowly and locks eyes with the monster.

Buffy, quietly

BUFFY

I see you.

Faster than a striking snake, the Slayer closes her hands around Bolla throat. His life crushed by unyielding fingers of steel, all the Hope Eater can do is trash and scratch. The relentless, superhuman strength, easily overcomes him.

Buffy, breaking Bolla's neck, deadly

BUFFY

It's her nature.

The Slayer tosses the body aside and stands up. She brings her foot down and squishes the creature's head like an overripe melon. Buffy is not taking chances.

That done, she takes out a piece of wood and breaks it in half. Picking up the phone, she dials Giles.

Buffy, weary

BUFFY

Bolla dead, body in my room, Slayer back, call Xander, talk morning.

She hangs up and pockets the mobile.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – ANGEL'S APARTMENT – NIGHT

Buffy kicks in the door and catches Angel by surprise, in the middle of heating up blood.

Buffy, barging in armed with a stake, play angry

BUFFY

Hey, lover boy, want to try that again?

The microwave beeps done, the funeral dirge for a vampire.

Angel, scrambling to think of something and coming up with nothing, nicely

ANGEL

Don't dust me?

Buffy, putting away the stake, giving away the game by smiling

BUFFY

Forgiven but not forgotten.

ANGEL

Coffee?

BUFFY

Hold the blood.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – WILLOW'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

Clad in cherry PJs, Buffy crawls under the sheets and makes her way to Willow. She snuggles in with a sight of contentment. The witch draws her closer by habit.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – WILLOW'S BEDROOM – PREDAWN

Willow carefully disentangles herself from Buffy and gets out of bed. She reaches under it, takes out a sleeping bag, unrolls it, and then gets in. The witch is out in seconds.

Buffy wakes up and feels around; opening her eyes to confirm the disappointment, she flops onto her back and stares up. The Slayer does not look happy.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY OFFICE – EARLY MORNING

Giles and Xander walk in and find the witch and Slayer already there. Giles goes to his usual chair and Xander remains upright, having lucked out of suitable, clear space.

BUFFY

What did I miss?

GILES

Two and a half precious weeks of school.

BUFFY

Cool.

WILLOW

Ooh, the pink humiliation.

XANDER

My first restraining order.

BUFFY

One of many, I am sure.

XANDER

She was not my type anyway.

WILLOW

There was demon. I saw. I screamed.

XANDER

It's possessed or little Xander …

Buffy, interrupting

BUFFY

You best not finish that sentence.

WILLOW

Combo breaker. You poop head.

XANDER

Spanked!

WILLOW

Both of you.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – COMPUTER LAB OFFICE – MORNING

Buffy expectantly extends her right hand, palm up.

Jenny, stopping short of placing a small vial on the invitation, serious

JENNY

You told her yet?

Buffy, hedging

BUFFY

Not about the test.

Jenny, insistently

JENNY

Buffy, you have to tell her; it has to be her decision.

Buffy, lying

BUFFY

I will.

The chovihani makes sure there is no misunderstanding.

Jenny, taking Buffy by the chin, forcefully

JENNY

We know if you are willing and open the magic works on you. This is to enhance your libido not seduce Willow into a mistake.

The gypsy sets the vial down and Buffy closes her fingers around it. The Slayer does not blink as Jenny's eyes search hers for the truth.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – BUFFY'S KITCHEN – LATE EVENING

Two cups of hot chocolate, with little marshmallow islands, are in their individual mugs; kitty mug for Willow and sentimental, chipped one for Buffy.

Buffy, adding a drop from vial to Willow's cup and mixing it in, resolutely

BUFFY

She does not need to know.

The Slayer stashes liquid desire and picking up both mugs, heads out.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – BUFFY'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

There is no sleeping bag in sights and Willow is already waiting on Buffy's side of the bed, eagerly following the Slayer's every move.

Buffy comes over and turns off the table lamp. There is barely any give from the witch as the Slayer gets under the sheets and wedges her body into the available space.

Willow immediately spoons Buffy and drapes a leg over for a good measure. Nuzzling close, she breathes softly against the Slayer's neck. Few tiny movements later, the witch drifts off.

Buffy smiles and closes her eyes.

Buffy, sleepily, happy

BUFFY

I deserve this.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Annex

Return to the Author's Page