Buffy the Vampire Slayer

“The Harvest ”

Episode 2

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is copyright 20th Century Fox Film Corporation . All original content of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog


TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – PLAIN/GRASSLANDS - 1500 BC/AFTERNOON

A group of Hokan-Coahuiltecan early AMERICAN INDIANS approach the circle of small stones in the distance. They are dressed in animal skins and the party consists entirely of men, with the exception of one YOUNG WOMAN. The men are armed with stone tomahawks and wooden bows. The YOUNG WOMAN walks unsteadily next to the oldest, a SHAMAN, and appears to be drugged; she relies on his assistance to stay upright and moving. The YOUNG WOMAN can't be older than seventeen.

Fairly far from their target, the group halts. The SHAMAN and the YOUNG WOMAN proceed alone as the warriors spread out and form a circle around the rock formation. They are keeping their distance but they don't face outward. Their arrangement and orientation suggest the threat is going to come from the middle.

The SHAMAN and the YOUNG WOMAN reach their destination. There is a cleared area for a small fire and beyond it a ring of stone. Inside is a round hole in the ground. The weird thing about it is the fact that the daylight does not penetrate into its depths. The visibility ends about a foot below the ground level, with a pool of what appears to be water or a dark liquid. It is completely smooth and black, hiding the depths from view.

The SHAMAN drops a small bundle of twigs from his back and builds a fire. He adds some dried herbs to it and it starts to smoke heavily, partially obscuring the area. The SHAMAN then sits down and begins to chant in a strange language. The YOUNG WOMAN sways to the sound; less a dance, more an automatic response.

A minute passes and then, acting on some unseen signal, the YOUNG WOMAN begins to walk towards the hole. Barefoot, she steps on the surface and it holds her weight easily. She moves to the middle of the pool and stops. After a few second of stillness, she begins to move again, in rhythm with the continuous chanting.

Slowly, she begins to sink. There were barely any ripples left by her passage earlier and there are only a few as she shrinks in stature. The whole scene would seem, were it not for the alert and watchful armed warriors, nothing but a peaceful dream.

There is little awareness left in the YOUNG WOMAN and it does not manifest itself with a struggle. Instead, she raises her head and closes her eyes, enjoying the warmth of the sun. This is the way the YOUNG WOMAN passes: holding onto the vision of the blue, open sky and the rays of gold caressing her face.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – PLAIN/GRASSLANDS – 500 AD/EARLY EVENING

Two millennia later, little has changed. There are fewer trees and the grass is shorter and less green. The rocks are still there, as is the pool.

It is not the nature that has changed, it is man. The AMERICAN INDIANS appear very much like their long ago ancestors. The weapons have hardly evolved and the outfits are more decorative, thou not by much. The troubling signs of battle show in the trampled grass, spots of dried blood, and broken native weapons. Numerous adult sized bodies are wrapped and set on carriers near the horses. Of their opponents, there are no signs, although there are drag marks leading to the hole. It is likely they were dumped in there.

The answer as to why a possible sacrilege was committed appears in the imposing presence of a massive stone, standing upright next to the wound in the earth. The smaller circle of stone is gone. The towering monolith certainly looks capable of covering the pool and its contents. Massive piles of wood are stacked nearby. Everything is ready and there is an air of anticipation to the entire affair.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – PLAIN/GRASSLANDS – 500 AD/NIGHT

The huge bonfires are lit, reaching with orange arms towards the starlit heavens. The rock lid is in place and several SHAMANS sit on it. Behind each stands a WARRIOR with a tomahawk. Chanting fills the air, with the SHAMANS combining their voices into one prayer. Abruptly, silence falls.

SHAMANS, invoking an incantation, channeling their power together

SHAMANS

Oh our Mother the earth, Oh our Father the sky,

Your children are we, and with our love

We bring you the gift of life.

Then weave for us a garment of protection;

 

May the warp be the white light of the our purpose,

May the weft be the red light of our sacrifice,

May the fringes be the blue light of our tears,

May the border be the black light of our mourning.

 

Thus weave for us a garment of protection,

That the Great Spirit may drape over this earth,

That our people walk the land under the sky of blue,

That our people walk where grass is green,

That our people walk free,

Oh our Mother Earth, Oh our Father Sky.

Each WARRIOR raises his weapon and prepares to strike. Suddenly, a commotion erupts away from the ceremony, beyond the fires. The WARRIORS ignore it and bring down their tomahawks.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – PLAIN/GRASSLANDS – 500 AD/NIGHT

Several AMERICAN INDIANS are chasing a short figure thru the night. Weapons whistle their passage in the chill air, narrowly missing the elusive target, dodging and weaving with grace and speed.

The chase continues unabated until the said figure changes direction and plows straight into a standalone grove of thick, leafy bushes. The AMERICAN INDIANS split up and surround them. Forming a cordon, they close the trap as they come together and move into the vegetation. To their surprise, the intruder is gone. They look around, astonished that anyone could escape them. Resigned, the AMERICAN INDIANS head back, foiled by darkness and their clever prey.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – PLAIN/GRASSLANDS – 500 AD/NIGHT

Further away, the figure moves stealthily, heading away from the pursuers and the bonfires in the distance. Then it stops.

The man is short, about 5'3”-5'4”. He wears woven cloth and is armed with a long, steel knife that hangs from his belt. He does not fit the native culture for this time period and is clearly from another place.

SHORT MAN, looking back, tearfully

SHORT MAN

I am sorry, Deneia. So very sorry, my love.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE - BROOKVILLE SUBURB/BEDROOM – PRESENT DAY/DAWN

Fifteen centuries later, give or take a few, the same SHORT MAN lies sprawled on the bed. The room has seen better days … decade ago. The peeling paint is down to the last few stubborn flakes. There is no furniture to speak of, aside from broken and dusty piles of wood. The bed is two stained and dirty mattresses piled on top of each other and covered with few old blankets. They probably smell as bad as they look.

The rising sun barges in through the gaps in the boarded windows and cheerfully announces its presence. A set of eyes opens and the owner digs out of the filthy nest. He is wearing a ragged T-shirt and underwear than once were a particular degree of white but have not seen that color in months. The SHORT MAN blinks and wipes his eyes with grimy hands, smudging the dirt some more. He stands up, yawns, and scratches himself. Morning ritual done, he looks for the rest of his clothes.

Pulling on torn jeans, he pads to the window on bare feet and looks out.

SHORT MAN, cheerfully

SHORT MAN

Every morning with you is beautiful, but they all pale next to you, my sweet Deneia.

Pause.

SHORT MAN, affectionately

SHORT MAN

And you in mine.

He reaches out and touches his lips, kissing the fingers. He then places that hand over his heart.

SHORT MAN, with determination bordering on madness

SHORT MAN

Nothing will ever break us apart. Nothing.

A sharply dressed MAN appears behind the first.

MAN

How touching and convenient. Morning Mouse; got an errand for you.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INTRODUCTION

On the screen, various images of Buffy and the Scooby Gang appear and a voice reads the passage.

BUFFY VOICE-OVER

Into every generation she is born; one girl in the entire world, a Chosen one. She alone will wield the strength and the skill to fight against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness; to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their numbers. She is the Slayer.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – EARLY MORNING

Buffy makes her way down the corridor lined with lockers. She is lost is thought and does not notice Principal Flutie spot and move to intercept her. Fortunately for him, the bureaucratic rules work for once and he does not get her attention with a physical contact, which would likely result in an injury. A surprised Slayer is a dangerous Slayer. Instead, he clears his throat loudly.

Flutie, suspiciously

FLUTIE

Miss Buffy Summers, the latest big-city trouble exported to our school. Punctuality and thirst for knowledge are not the quantities you are known for. Arson and fist fights are. Why are you here early?

Buffy, sweetly

BUFFY

I am going to the library …

Flutie, softening his stance

FLUTIE

How commendable …

Buffy, interrupting, leaning in, whispering confidentially

BUFFY

… to vandalize it. It hurts when I read or think.

Flutie, icily

FLUTIE

I see. You have a problem with authority, Miss Summers?

BUFFY

No, just you. Back off, Sergeant Shultz.

FLUTIE

Thread softly; I will be watching you.

BUFFY

That's like illegal in fifty states and totally ewww.

Flutie, taking off the gloves, threateningly

FLUTIE

Miss Summers, you are young and foolish so I will enlighten you. When you pick a fight with this administration, you start a war you cannot win. We are government and we will crush you.

Buffy, throwing his own words back at him, smartly

BUFFY

What happened to: we are from the government and we are here to help you? See, I'm edumacated.

Flutie, pointing a finger at her, trying to sound tough and failing

FLUTIE

You are on the list. List! List!

He turns and walks away, having gotten the last word. Buffy lets him.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY – EARLY MORNING

In a quiet corner of the library, away from prying eyes and eager ears, the first meeting of the Scoobies Gang is under way. Giles stands with his nose buried in a book. Willow sits on the chair, her legs on it and drawn up to her chest; her arms are wrapped around her lower limbs. She is the picture of anxiety. Xander paces in the small space.

Buffy joins them and is instantly chastised.

Giles, disapprovingly

GILES

You are late.

Buffy, dramatically

BUFFY

The system is oppressing me. Also, the system is checking my ass. I even made the list of the best asses in Sunnydale High. Witness the eclipse.

She turns to better display her rear. The reactions come in rapid-fire succession.

Xander, covering his eyes yet unable to resist peeking between fingers

XANDER

I shall not covet. I shall not want.

Giles, desperately looking anywhere but at Buffy after removing his glasses, distressed

GILES

I don't want to know. I don't want to see. I don't want to get arrested.

Willow, staring at the object in question, admiring

WILLOW

It's nice.

Buffy & Giles, all looking at Willow as one

BUFFY & GILES

What?!

Willow, putting her head down immediately, mumbling under her breath

WILLOW

Nothing.

Giles immediately lets it go, deciding ignorance is golden. Buffy holds her gaze on Willow a second longer and then shrugs, dismissing the incident and moving on.

BUFFY

Giles, you have explaining to do. I have vampire quotas to meet, you know?

XANDER

Yes, what's with going medieval? Vampires? Vampires?!

Giles, proudly

GILES

I am a Watcher.

XANDER & WILLOW

Huh?

Willow and Xander realize the answer they want is not forthcoming and turn to Buffy.

Buffy, shaking her head, patiently

BUFFY

Giles is a Watcher, I am a Slayer, vampires exist, there is an invisible Big Mouthy Bad running around, I kill vampires, Giles watches but does not judge, and once more with feeling: vampires are real. Oh, and Sunnydale has a yummy vigilante with no name. What? Can't a girl lust openly in the twenty first century?

Willow, lamenting

WILLOW

Oh, this is no good. I had a plan and a future. And a plan for the future where there was future to plan. Now there is a plan and no future. And I need a new plan and another future to plan for. Yes, it's definitely the future of the two. I think.

Buffy, lightly

BUFFY

Points for anyone who followed that.

Seeing that did not have the desired effect and made Willow withdraw more, Buffy tries again.

BUFFY

Willow power tackled a vampire.

Xander, disbelieving

XANER

Our Gandhi Willow?!

Buffy, acting out the tale

BUFFY

Less Mother Teresa, more Mother Ripley. I went “CRUNCH”, “THUD”, and “ARG”, Willow was “GRRR”, Luke was “HA-HA”, Willow was “SNARL”, Willow went “SPARTA!”, Luke went “BAM”, WILLOW was “WEEEEEEEE”, and finally Willow went “SPLAT”, followed by “OOF”.

Xander, impressed, teasing

XANDER

You missed a sound effect.

BUFFY

No, pretty sure got them all.

Giles, focusing on the important part, with a hint of reproach

GILES

Fascinating. The real question is: how did Luke trash you?

BUFFY

Chewy and delicious yet oh so wrong banned substance abuse?

XANDER

Behold the power of chocolate.

Giles, exasperated

GILES

Buffy, Willow was charging to your rescue. Willow!

Willow, unraveling her limbs and setting her feet down on the floor, finally cheering up

WILLOW

Go me! Wait, this a good thing or a bad thing?

BUFFY

That board connects and it's home run for Luke's head. True fact.

XANDER

Willow bringing the heavy guns.

Willow, flexing her skinny arms and posing, affecting a deep male voice

WILLOW

They laughed at the books I carry. Well, they are crying now.

Buffy, ironically

BUFFY

Xander just became the female of this group. Way to fail to achieve, Xander.

XANDER

I would cry, but that would just confirm it.

Giles, trying to get things back on track, impatiently

GILES

Luke is out there and a problem.

MAN, appearing out of nowhere, casually

MAN

There is a black market for specialized services and supplies in Sunnydale. The Master paid a warlock for some work.

Buffy, enthusiastically

BUFFY

Hey everybody, it's the villain. I so want to be friends and go shopping with him.

GILES

Buffy!

BUFFY

Oh sure, we fight, insult, and hurt each other. But at the end of the day, can't a heroine and her greatest nemesis go to the mall together?

Xander and Giles look at each other and then at Buffy.

XANDER

You are not serious?

BUFFY

Tailored dresses and high-end shoes – is it too late to switch sides? The evil benefits package is divine. You got a health plan?

MAN, smiling

MAN

All the souls you can eat.

BUFFY

Giles, I quit.

Giles throws his hands up and sits down. Xander perches on the edge of the table, unsure if this is a joke or for real.

MAN

Find Mouse; ask around the local bars for particulars.

The MAN vanishes.

Buffy, pointing at the empty space where the MAN was a second ago, indignantly

BUFFY

See, see, he is doing it again! Tormenting me mad with vague utterings; oh, the humanity! Is there no end to his cruel villainy?!

Willow, offering helpfully

WILLOW

If Mouse is a snitch, the police files have a record. I could look.

XANDER

We will stroll right in and ask?

WILLOW

Better. I hacked their website.

Pause.

Willow, shrinking under Giles' glare, hastily throwing out an excuse

WILLOW

I might have … um, accidentally … um, stumbled on something …

Pause.

Willow, Giles' burning stare forcing a confession, mousy

WILLOW

… I was bored one day.

Giles, resigned

GILES

That's it. I am surrounded by delinquents.

XANDER

Alright, we are moving up in the criminal underworld.

Buffy, cheerfully

BUFFY

Who is up for bar hopping after school?

Willow, unable to resist jumping in when the subject is Buffy, grinning

WILLOW

Wow Buffy, when you spiral downward, you really spiral downward. What's next, liquid breakfast and lunch?

BUFFY

It's good to be me. Hic.

GILES

I will be researching the Harvest with Willow. And Buffy: talk, don't sample.

Xander, brightly

XANDER

Underage drinking – yet another feather in the ruin of my life.

BUFFY

Sweet! A drinking buddy of my very own; mom will be proud.

GILES

Why do I even bother?

Willow, showcasing her inner rebel in a typical Willow manner, barely audible

WILLOW

I will be breaking and entering the internet, if anyone wonders. After books.

Xander, looking around

XANDER

You know, we make a great team.

Buffy, starting to leave, stopping and addressing Giles

BUFFY

Reminds me; how did the hunky eye candy end up in the alley last night?

GILES

I was patrolling near the Bronze and recognized him from your description. When he suddenly took off, I followed. I do say the timing was impeccable.

Pause.

GILES

Buffy, see me before you commence an alcohol-fueled, two women rampage across Sunnydale's finer liquor dives.

Buffy nods and quickly departs. Giles heads to his office and Xander and Willow walk to the exit together.

XANDER

Even Giles mocks me. I need man cred; next time, I am hitting the girl.

WILLOW

There goes chivalry.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY OFFICE – AFTERNOON

Buffy finds a fat envelope thrust into her chest when she enters. She takes it from Giles and opens it, finding it stuffed with cash. Buffy marvels at the number of bills in it.

Buffy, unable to resist, tweaking Giles, reproachfully

BUFFY

Giles, I am not that kind of a girl.

Giles, used to her ways by now, succinctly banters back in understated way, quipping

GILES

Shoe allowance; can't have you going evil for want of Manolo Blahnik.

BUFFY

Manolo Blahnik - so over. Christian Louboutin; sweet and like, love.

Sighing, Giles hands Buffy a piece of paper and she reads it.

GILES

The Watchers' Council has a local doctor on payroll: medical care, drugs, and discretion are part of the package. His name, phone, address and location of five local safe houses are now yours. Day or night, he responds 24/7.

BUFFY

How loyal is his loyalty?

GILES

His two oldest children are studying in England. The boy is four and the girl seven. He is very … um, cooperative.

Buffy, horrified

BUFFY

Giles!

GILES

Victoria aut mors.

BUFFY

Victory or death? Morbid much?

Giles, honestly

GILES

Watchers' mortality rate far exceeds Slayers'. Average Slayer lives three point nine years and goes thru five point two Watchers. Congratulations Buffy, you will outlive me.

BUFFY

You volunteered for a death sentence?! What, they have your family too?

GILES

Luck of the draw. When that time comes, every active Watcher picks a stone. New graduates, seasoned veterans, elders – no one is exempt.

Pause.

GILES

Mine was red.

Giles walks past Buffy and halts just outside the office door.

Giles, over his shoulder, softly

GILES

You don't have to worry about breaking me. Something or someone will do it for you.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. SUNNYDALE – WILLY'S PLACE – LATE AFTERNOON

The place is run down but clean. Wonderful smells waft from the kitchen and the tables are full. Despite the weather outside and the heat inside, the majority of customers are covered in layers of cloth. It is as if they are trying to hide something.

Behind the long counter, a large, balding BARTENDER attired in sleeveless white T-shirt is dispensing the orders. Unusual is the amulet he prominently wears on a leather necklace. Matching it in symbology are the various artifacts hanging on the walls and the inside of the entry door. Those all appear to be focused on protection.

The door swings inward and along with the fading daylight, Buffy and Xander enter the establishment. Eyes examine them, whisper a few words, and then the patrons return to minding their business. Here, no one asks questions or judges another.

Buffy and Xander move to the bar. Before they can say anything, the BARTENDER barks at them.

BARTENDER, ordering

BARTENDER

Sit!

Two butts hit the stools.

BARTENDER

I'm Willy, the owner. Don't bother anyone or get physical; this place is neutral ground. You start trouble and Mr. Baseball bat comes out. You persist and Mr. Shotgun joins him. Keep testing your luck and the heavy stuff comes down on you and God help you then. Understand me, Slayer?

Buffy, realizing this is serious, subdued

BUFFY

Yes, sir.

Xander, whispering

XANDER

Buffy, this is not a good idea.

Willy, sternly

WILLY

If it is happening in Sunnydale, I know about it. If you need a service or a certain item, I make the introductions. Word gets back you harmed my recommendation and I put a contract out on you. Then you have a messy accidental death. The price is a meal and a drink. Those are the terms, take it or leave it.

BUFFY

You know Mouse?

Willy nods.

BUFFY

Deal. Let's see the menu.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – WILLY'S PLACE – EARLY EVENING

The outside is in no better shape but at least the sign above appears recent. A CUSTOMER follows them outside and stops them with a hand on each shoulder.

CUSTOMER

You kids got protection?

Xander, confidently

XANDER

I have Buffy.

CUSTOMER

You are a bright one, aren't you?

CUSTOMER, taking out a badge and showing it to Buffy and Xander, authoritatively

CUSTOMER

Detective Ryan Moore, Sunnydale homicide. Take the fun home; I don't want to file a report featuring your corpses later this evening.

Xander, scared

XANDER

N-N-No, no this is not what you think. I mean it looks like what you think …

Buffy, rescuing him, cutting in

BUFFY

Wait, you don't care if we drink and have wild, albeit protected sex?

Ryan, shrugging

RYAN

I survived teenager in Sunnydale. In this town your age group is dying at quadruple the national average - runaway hormones and substance abuse are the least of our problems.

XANDER

Sadly, neither are they mine. Well, one of them is. What? I only had one beer in my life and that was today. And I don't want to talk about the other.

Ryan, eyes narrowing, sharply

RYAN

Okay, if you are not in it for the party, why here and what's with the hard liquor?

Buffy, grabbing the bottle by the neck and lifting it out of the paper bag, doing pretend introductions

BUFFY

Jack Daniel's, Mouse. Mouse, Jack Daniel's.

Ryan, showing instant recognition of the name, interested

RYAN

Mouse the snitch?

BUFFY

Same.

Ryan, taking out his notebook, getting ready to write

RYAN

Sorry, procedure. Your names?

BUFFY

Buffy Summers.

XANDER

Xander Harris.

Ryan, finishing the notation, all business

RYAN

Start talking.

Buffy, reluctantly

BUFFY

We are looking for Luke.

RYAN

Luke got a last name?

BUFFY

Ugly?

XANDER

Muscles?

RYAN

I see. You normal or mixed?

BUFFY & XANDER

What?

RYAN

You walk into Willy's, where the clientele stretches the definition of human and you asking me? Don't play stupid.

Seeing them remain clueless, Ryan snaps the notebook close and puts it away, along with the pen. He then subdues Xander by twisting his arm behind his back and shoving him into the wall face first.

Xander, panicking

XANDER

I know nothing. Nothing!

Buffy grabs Ryan by the collarbone and squeezes while pressing down. He immediately releases Xander.

RYAN

That answers the question.

Pause.

Ryan, in pain

RYAN

Okay, okay, I give. You can let go.

Buffy holds it a second longer, sending a silent message.

Ryan works the now free shoulder, trying to restore the feeling. There is respect in his eyes, directed at Buffy.

Xander, worriedly

XANDER

Buffy did not mean it, you have to believe me. She is very protective of others.

Ryan, to Xander, dismissing the concern with a gesture

RYAN

Relax, it's in the past.

Pause.

Ryan, to Buffy, warning her

RYAN

Mouse is a stinking weasel and a pathological liar. You will be fine after dark in his neighborhood but your woman will need protection.

XANDER

I hate you already.

RYAN

I serve and protect; you are in way over your head, Xander. If you are lucky, you will end up like Buffy here. If not … condolences.

Ryan swivels on his foot and walks away rapidly, towards an unmarked car on the other side of the street.

XANDER

What did he mean by that? What does he think you are?

Buffy, saucily

BUFFY

Half demon, half hotness, all Buffy.

Xander, uneasy and uncomfortable

XANDER

The guy has gray hair and rocks AARP.

BUFFY

Older men – it's a phase.

The engine comes to life and the car pulls away from a curb in the background.

Xander, muttering

XANDER

I did not hear that. I need ear bleach.

BUFFY

Hot for a teacher ring a bell?

XANDER

So, demon?

BUFFY

So, subject change much?

Xander, suggestively

XANDER

We could go with your plan. It is against the law, but apparently okay.

BUFFY

Xander, I like you. Don't make me hurt you.

XANDER

What are we standing here for? We have a Mouse to catch!

BUFFY

Crystal ball sees pain.

XANDER

Hey, I am working on short notice here. Not everyone has your wit.

BUFFY

It's way tragic.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – BROOKVILLE/NEAR MOUSE'S PLACE – EVENING

The neighborhood is a blight of decaying homes. Glass windows are long gone, broken by vandals. However, despite the abandoned, boarded look and the numerous condemned signs, the place appears to be inhabited. There are toys on the lawns and the city did not cut the power to the street lights; neither did the utility company. There are lights in almost all the houses and drafty windows bring the sound of TV and voices.

WILLOW

Brookville – there was talk of soil contamination in the news, people getting sick, followed by lawsuits and settlements. The whole place was left to the desert long ago. No one is supposed to live here. It is not safe for people.

XANDER

Something tells me that there are none of those here. At least not entirely human.

GILES

Fascinating - a community of demons, vampires, and … um, things. This bears further study.

BUFFY

I think you should focus on the part where the entire neighborhood wants to eat us, sacrifice us, or possess us. The important points, you know?

Willow, nervously

WILLOW

Wait, no one said anything about moving in. Giles said it was safe and we back up Buffy. There was nothing in the brochure about being a human snack, host, or virgin sacrifice and I checked the small text and the disclaimers twice. Crowd of bloodthirsty monsters after my flesh is not the last memory I want.

XANDER

I second that. No one touches me but me.

BUFFY

Congratulations, you put the “self” before “love”. Mental trauma, ewww, and TMI in one sentence. That's totally a talent to envy.

Willow, quickly changing the subject

WILLOW

And on the topic that does not involve Xander and … Xander, Mouse has a file that goes back decades. Only part of it is in the system; earlier years are in the archives, in the basement under the police station. The records go back to early 1900s.

Pause.

Willow, to Buffy, concerned

WILLOW

He is not reliable and a source of trouble. The police suspect him of involvement in several crimes, everything from petty theft to homicide. Buffy, he is dangerous. The recent notes say his mental health is deteriorating. Be careful.

Buffy, doing the Boy Scout salute

BUFFY

Like a Boy Scout, always ready and prepared. And if anyone breathes the words Girl Scout, I will sew a badge over their mouth.

Giles, sarcastically

GILES

Right, don't want you more violent than you already are.

Pause.

Giles, steering the conversation to the subject that brought them here

GILES

Now then; Harvest refers to wholesale taking of lives, usually for ritual purposes.

XANDER

Soul power to the people? From the people? Are we talking juicy, soul middle of a human treat?

GILES

Ah … no. The essence, the life force if you will, has many uses in dark magic. However, vampires, even Master ones, don't dabble in it. It is a valuable commodity but unless he trades it for something, it is useless to him.

XANDER

Nice, we have evolved from food into currency.

BUFFY

Bet Darwin did not see that coming.

Giles, to Buffy, irritated

GILES

How can you be so smart and a complete sufferance in general?

BUFFY

Selective brain impairment?

Willow, objecting vehemently

WILLOW

Don't say that. There is nothing wrong with you.

Xander, giving Willow a strange look

XANDER

Before Willow declares her undying love for the perfection that is Buffy, don't we have a Mouse to catch?

BUFFY

Giles?

GILES

We stay here and secure the outside. You go inside and have a word with the informant. Keep the screaming down; neighbors here are the unfriendly sort.

Buffy, bouncing with excess energy, eagerly

BUFFY

Six bars and not a single fight; what's a girl to do for fun? I know, play pummel the snitch.

WILLOW

Xander? Parting wisdom, something inspirational?

XANDER

There she goes, Miss Sunnydale?

BUFFY

And on that sour note, it is Slayer time.

WILLOW

That's even worse.

BUFFY

Remember, I claimed keepsies of your worship. No take backs.

Giles, impatiently

GILES

Sometime today, children.

BUFFY, WILLOW & XANDER

Yes, dad.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. SUNNYDALE – MOUSE'S PLACE – LATE EVENING

Mouse sits on the only chair in the gutted kitchen. The table and appliances are missing, except for a stove. Few cabinets cling tenaciously to the walls, doors long gone and the shelves missing.

Mouse is busy scraping the insides of the can, really going to town with a spoon in an effort to get every last juicy morsel. He jumps when the back door is kicked open and settles down when he sees Buffy enter.

Mouse, going back to the canned treasure, nonchalantly

MOUSE

Door was open.

BUFFY

I am a center of attention kind of gal.

Pause.

Buffy, handing over the bottle of JD

BUFFY

Dessert?

Mouse grabs the alcohol and opens it. He pours a good amount inside the can and swishes it around, working the spoon vigorously. Satisfied, he drinks the mixture.

BUFFY

Like gross. JD and chili do not a marriage make. And it is the meat kind too. You are one sick ... something.

Mouse, smacking and licking his lips

MOUSE

Delicious.

Buffy, sniffing the air

BUFFY

Your eating habits are almost as pleasant as your personal hygiene.

MOUSE

We know why you here.

BUFFY

I want Luke.

Mouse, graciously

MOUSE

Since you are easy on the eyes and generous with the booze, here is a story for you. Demons, except for the strongest, possess humans to exist here. You see one in true form, run away. Anyway, Hellmouth leaks and our numbers grow. We even have this lovely community courtesy of the Major. When the planets or whatnots are aligned just right, Harvest happens. Vampires are perfectly suited to the task. The Master gets an artifact and the warlock receives power. Don't think to pay the warlock a visit because that would be fatal; for you, not him. The end.

Buffy, firmly

BUFFY

The rest.

Mouse, calling out loudly

MOUSE

Luke!

In answer, from inside the house, Luke strolls into the kitchen with a small smile on his lips. He has already transformed into a vampire.

Mouse, grinning

MOUSE

We believe you two met. Luke is collecting and each victim makes him stronger. Nice side effect, that.

Pause.

Mouse, tossing the can to the large pile in the corner and taking a swig of liquor, smug

MOUSE

Think, Slayer. You ask around town for us and not expect it to get back? Luke and the Harvest are top news in these parts. Put the two together: we saved you the trouble.

Mouse settles back into the chair, content to watch the free show.

Buffy, focusing on Luke

BUFFY

Hello ugly.

LUKE

Master sends his regards.

BUFFY

I will be sure to answer personally.

Luke, sneering

LUKE

Not from afterlife. And your friends are dessert.

Buffy, pissed

BUFFY

I am done holding back.

Buffy does a spinning roundhouse that sends Luke crashing into the cabinets, smashing the lot of them.

Buffy, growling

BUFFY

You want the Slayer, you got her.

She lifts the dazed vampire by the hair, drags him over to the stove and smashes his face into the surface. Repeatedly.

Mouse gets up out of the chair and slowly backs away, heading deeper into the house. This is getting too intense for him. As he backpedals, Buffy looks straight at him.

Buffy, pinning him with her gaze

BUFFY

We are not done yet.

Buffy turns her attention back to Luke.

BUFFY

How does that taste?!

Mouse turns and bolts from the room and Buffy follows his escape.

Taking advantage of the distraction, Luke drives an elbow into Buffy's gut, backing her up. He tackles her, picks her up and runs them both into the wall. Buffy takes the brunt of it as they go thru it and tumble into the adjoining living room. They leave behind a large hole of broken 2x4s and drywall.

Luke scrambles to his feet and picks up the large, ancient TV. Bringing it over his head, he throws it at the head of dazed Buffy, still on the floor. She narrows avoids it by rolling away and jumps to her feet as it explodes from the impact. Reaching for the table lamp, she shatters it on his advancing head, followed by the table it was resting on. She caps it with a flying knee kick that sends him staggering back, towards the boarded window. Buffy grabs Luke and pulls out a stake, intending to finish it. He has other ideas. Luke puts Buffy in a bear hug and rotating, tosses her thru the covered window, right onto the front lawn. The stake and pieces of debris follow her flight path. Luke climbs out after her.

He finds Buffy relaxing on the grass, lying on her back with hands under her head. She is stargazing. Aside from some dust and few scratches, she looks fine. Luke on the other hand is a mess. Torn and disheveled clothes, bloody nose and face, and stiff posture; he has been thru the wringer and looks it.

BUFFY

Not looking too hot there, blood breath. Fashion is everything, you know?

Luke, angry

LUKE

No more games.

BUFFY

Final jeopardy, I pinkie swear. What's 3 + 1?

Luke, using his fingers to count, after a while

LUKE

… Four?

Giles, Willow, and Xander step out of the darkness, loaded crossbows in hand.

BUFFY

Our survey said …

GILES, WILLOW & XANDER

Wrong answer.

Three bolts strike Luke and he is gone. A ring falls on the grass with a soft sound and lies among the ashes. Giles approaches and takes out a handkerchief. He picks up the artifact carefully.

Buffy, sitting up, looking at Giles with interest

BUFFY

Slayer – it does Luke no good. Also, brush after meals. What shiny you got?

Giles, examining the object, thoughtfully

GILES

Ancient and - judging by the symbols - associated with ritual magic. I will take it back and study it.

Buffy, standing up and going to pick up her stake, not noticing Willow approach her

BUFFY

Don't go summoning uglies, I got a social life. On life support, granted.

Willow, reaching out and gently touching the slight marks on Buffy's face, upset

WILLOW

What happened in there?

Buffy, moving her head away and stepping back, misreading the concern, annoyed

BUFFY

Remodeling. I am not glass, people. Back off, nurse Ratchet.

Rejected, Willow puts her head down and takes off, crying.

Xander, harshly

XANDER

Buffy, you are an idiot.

Xander runs after Willow and catching up, offers her comfort. He rubs her back and talks to her in low, soothing tones.

Buffy, looking at Giles for an answer, puzzled

BUFFY

Did I miss something? Are those two together?

Giles, sighing

GILES

I have no clue; it's all teenager to me. Let's head back and you can fill me in.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – BUFFY'S NEIGHBORHOOD – NIGHT

Buffy walks alone down the sidewalk, the shadows holding no surprises for her. Angel steps out of the darkness and joins her. They walk in amiable silence for a while, it being a battle of wills.

Angel, cracking first

ANGEL

You continue to impress.

Buffy, hopeful

BUFFY

You saw?

ANGEL

Keeping an eye on you is a full time job.

Buffy, flirting

BUFFY

Dedicated and charming, my type. So, you like to watch?

Angel, returning the sentiment

ANGEL

Depends on who I am watching.

Buffy, seductively

BUFFY

Do you like what you see so far?

ANGEL

I suppose I could learn to like it.

Buffy, laughing

BUFFY

Liar.

Angel, disarmed by her infectious joy, sharing

ANGEL

I'm Angel.

BUFFY

Buffy Summers.

Angel, spreading his arms in apology, drifting off at the end

ANGEL

No last name, I'm afraid. One day …

Buffy, pretending to be mad, grin betraying her

BUFFY

You can take the whole mysterious stranger thing too far, you know?

Angel, smiling

ANGEL

Goodbye Buffy. Sweet dreams.

Buffy, watching him walking away, appreciatively

BUFFY

Oh, they will be now.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – WILLOW'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

The bedroom is typical in its décor, unusual in its tidiness and order. Prints and posters of actresses line the four walls. All different, yet they share the blonde, petite look. Willow lies in bed, reading a book; or trying to. Her eyes have trouble focusing on the text and soon they drift over to the pictures. They settle on one and get that faraway look.

MAN, appearing and breaking the building dream, quietly

MAN

What did you feel when you Buffy walked into that house alone?

Willow, giving him a wistful smile in lieu of verbal greeting, sadly

WILLOW

Hopeless.

MAN, articulating Willow's feelings, whispering understanding in confidence

MAN

Close yet unable to do a thing.

Willow, nodding, happy that there is someone who understands her, admitting

WILLOW

It hurt.

MAN

And when you touched her, when you tried to comfort her …

Willow, tearfully

WILLOW

… She pushed me away.

MAN, calculating

MAN

Buffy respects strength and power; she hates weakness.

Pause.

MAN, mocking, in moderation, more trying to enflame than put down

MAN

Maybe meek little Willow should do what she always does: give up. After all, fighting is for others. Maybe it is true what they say: bad girls don't fall for nice girls like you. Face it, Buffy is out of your league. Maybe you should hide in books and computers. Hey, it worked before, on your other girl crushes. Maybe you should accept being a wallflower. It's true, you are not a rose. Maybe …

Willows face grows stormy with each successive proclamation until she can't take it anymore.

Willow, growing a spine, interjecting, insisting

WILLOW

This is different.

Pause.

Willow, firmly

WILLOW

Not this time. Not with Buffy.

MAN, pleased, but not showing it, throws it out there with a grin

MAN

Carpe diem?

WILLOW

Carpe diem.

MAN, coming over and sitting on the side of the bed, sympathetically

MAN

Sidekick and a friend is not enough and you know it. I know it. Willow, it is within you to have what you desire without changing the person inside. Question is: are you willing to fight for what is rightfully yours?

Willow, bluntly

WILLOW

I don't trust you. What is the cost?

MAN, contemplatively

MAN

The world is not black and white; it is grey. Magic opens the door; given time and proper instruction, you and Buffy will walk together into danger as equals.

Willow, whispering, with difficulty

WILLOW

… I want … more.

MAN, gravely

MAN

Willow, listen very carefully. You cannot, under any condition, use the arts on Buffy; her nature will destroy you. Whatever happens, it will be her choice.

Pause.

MAN, painting the future, enticingly

MAN

The Slayer and her Witch or Buffy and just one of the gang – which fate will you make?

There is a long silence and then Willow looks him straight in the eyes, her mind made up long ago. She knew from the time she first saw Buffy; it just took this long to admit it.

Willow, barely audible

WILLOW

… Us.

MAN, smiling

MAN

There is wisdom in you and the heart of a lion. You have the power to shape destiny itself.

Pause.

MAN, standing up, leaving parting words before disappearing

MAN

Mouse will contact you.

Abruptly, three of posters shimmer and they are all close-up portraits. When the effect dissipates, they now show Buffy. Everything is the same about them as before except the person in it.

Unable to believe her eyes, Willow gets out of bed in her fruit pajamas and slips her feet into bunny slippers. She walks to the nearest one and reaches a trembling hand. It is real and not an illusion as she finds out when her fingers gently trace the face.

Willow, tearfully

WILLOW

Thank you.

MAN, speaking faintly, as if from far away

MAN

She's beautiful, and therefore to be wooed; she is woman, and therefore to be won.

WILLOW

She is mine.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Annex

Return to the Author's Page