Buffy the Vampire Slayer

“The Witch”

Episode 4, Part 2

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is copyright 20th Century Fox Film Corporation . All original content of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog


TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY – AFTERNOON

Buffy is doing her homework and Giles is reading a book.

Willow enters and seeing them, waves a list in the air.

Willow, exulting

WILLOW

I stole the signup sheet for cheerleader tryouts.

Buffy, raising her head, in deep voice

BUFFY

Willow, I am your spiritual father. Welcome to the dark side.

Giles warning glance sends Buffy's nose scurrying back into the coursework spread out on table surface.

Willow smiles and joins them; she hands the sheet to Giles. He quickly scans down the names with his finger and returns to the one that caught his eye. He thoughtfully taps the paper, something vaguely familiar about it prodding his memory. Alas, it does not come and remains a nagging feeling.

Giles, frustrated

GILES

It is right there.

Willow, getting an idea, helpfully

WILLOW

Does the witch have to be close; in eyesight?

Giles, encouragingly

GILES

Go on.

Willow, hemming and hawing

WILLOW

Let's say that Sunnydale High has an advanced security system. Let's say that the witch was there or close to the scene of each attack. Let's say we can find out. Let's say we can compare the findings to official school records.

Giles, with certainty

GILES

You are going to commit a crime.

Willow, impishly

WILLOW

Guilty.

Buffy, jumping back in, shouting and adding a fist pump

BUFFY

Yes!

Giles, to Buffy, threatening

GILES

Eyes on the homework, delinquent.

Buffy, resuming homework, mumbling darkly

BUFFY

You are not the dad of me.

GILES

I feel like one.

Buffy looks at Giles for a few seconds; right away, he moves to fuss over some books. She watches him for a while and opens her mouth as if to say something, but then lets it go. Shaking her head, Buffy concentrates on her task.

Willow, seizing the opportunity, helpfully

WILLOW

There are too many distractions here and Buffy needs tutoring stat before Flutie, the heathen bureaucrat, sacrifices her on the altar of high school dropout.

Giles nods in agreement and then faces Buffy again.

Giles, to Buffy, making it an order

GILES

Starting today, you and Willow are study buddies. After patrol, say nine or ten to midnight. This is not a request.

Buffy makes a face and Giles stares her down. After a few long seconds, she puts her head down, defeated.

Willow writes down her contact info for Giles and hands it to him.

WILLOW

I will sort the camera feed tonight and have the results in the morning.

Pause.

Willow, to Buffy, pleased

WILLOW

My house.

Buffy surreptitiously checks to ensure that Giles is not watching and throws a wad of paper at Willow.

GILES

I saw that.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – WILLOW'S HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - LATE EVENING

Buffy sits on the couch, facing Willow's parents, Ira and Sheila. The situation could not be more awkward if they tried. Buffy is stiff, defensive; Ira and Sheila are dressed up, in a very conservative fashion and sit close together, holding hands. They are across from Buffy and it almost feels like a trial, with her as the accused.

Adding to that air is the décor: modest and simple in furnishings with a plethora of religious pictures on the walls and an enormous crucifix over the fireplace. Little doodads and trinkets of similar nature cover the open surfaces. There are very few pictures and in those present, no one is smiling – everyone looks stern and … ding, ding; we have a winner at puritanical, thinks Buffy.

Ira, starting the inquisition, conversationally

IRA

Mr. Giles called.

The sentence drops like a lead weight into the room and pushes the air out of it. Silence falls again, interrupted only by discrete shifting and polite throat clearing. It is really getting uncomfortable in the living room and the three in there show signs of it.

Sheila and Ira look at each other and appear to be communicating with head gestures and body movements. No doubt deciding who is going to make the next overture.

Sheila, out of the blue, starting the avalanche Buffy does not know is coming, blurting

SHEILA

Willow went thru the Disney princess phase at five.

Ira, supplying helpfully

IRA

It was the sleeping beauty.

Buffy freezes, not sure what response she should give to this bizarre revelation.

Sheila, patiently

SHEILA

I watched her place the doll on the bed among the flowers and then lean over and kiss her. She did that many times; it was her favorite fantasy. I knew then.

Buffy, carefully

BUFFY

I am missing something here. A lot of little girls play with dolls. I did.

IRA

Most of them want to be the princess - not to kiss her awake with true love and live happily ever after with her.

Buffy, eyes opening wide, involuntarily leaning forward and whispering

BUFFY

OH. Willow is …?

IRA

Yes.

BUFFY

And you think …?

IRA

Yes.

Buffy, mind all over the place, babbling

BUFFY

Okay, surprised is a word. It is a very good word. Like, right now, because I am. Surprised, that is.

Pause.

Buffy, spewing pure nonsense and gibberish, completely thrown off

BUFFY

Wow. Sale on wow. Clearance on wow, with two for one wow. Going out of business, everything must go wow. That is a lot of wow. Wow.

Sheila, smiling nervously

SHEILA

See, you even starting to talk like our Willow. We were right.

Buffy, guessing where this is going, befuddled

BUFFY

You don't want me around your daughter?

IRA

What?!

Sheila, reaching out and placing a hand on Buffy's knee, shaky yet friendly

SHEILA

No, we want you with her.

Sheila jerks her hand back, as if she reached the limit of her affection towards others.

Sheila, hesitantly

SHEILA

… You are practically family, Bunny.

Buffy, things happening too fast to process, without a clue

BUFFY

Buffy and confused here.

IRA

We are happy she found you. We don't want her hanging around that cross-dressing man and dabbling in the occult.

SHEILA

Buffy, are you religious?

Buffy, recovering, finding refuge in humor

BUFFY

This is the part with sin and burning in Hell because of the … togetherness?

Sheila, insistently

SHEILA

She mentioned other girls in passing. She talks about you nonstop. It is Bunny this and Bunny that.

Ira, playing the part of proud papa to perfection, trying a smile on for a change

IRA

We want a nice, Catholic girl for her.

Buffy, automatically correcting

BUFFY

That's Buffy.

Buffy does not realize what she just confirmed and is a tad spooked by the forced smiles directed at her. The Rosenbergs are trying hard to make Buffy feel welcome but it is creeping her out instead.

Buffy, uneasy

BUFFY

What is going on? Why are you okay with this?

Sheila, uncomfortable

SHEILA

A strange, drunk young man wondered into the kitchen Sunday night. He kept referring to himself as we and told us he lives here now. Intervention gives us an excuse to monitor Willow closely without her resenting us for it. At least, not more than she already is.

Ira, pleading

IRA

We are losing her. It was little things at first and we let it go. Then the big one arrived: she has not been to church since the first day of school. Since she met you.

Just when Buffy is getting her balance, things go from bizarre to absurd.

Sheila, fervently

SHEILA

We believe you can bring her back to the Lord. She probably thinks we hate her and that God hates her because she is … different. Help us get her back.

IRA

We accept her … condition and your relationship. Help her see that.

Sheila, softly

SHEILA

Lay with her, love her, restore her faith. Bunny, please make my little girl whole again.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INTRODUCTION

On the screen, various images of Buffy and the Scooby Gang appear and a voice reads the passage.

BUFFY VOICE-OVER

Into every generation she is born; one girl in the entire world, a Chosen one. She alone will wield the strength and the skill to fight against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness; to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their numbers. She is the Slayer.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – WILLOW'S ROOM - NIGHT

Buffy walks into Willow's room. There is no door and only hinges bear witness to its former existence. Willow is on the bed, lying on her stomach and reading. When she becomes aware of the visitor, she jumps up and runs to Buffy. Forgetting herself, she tries to hug her.

Buffy knows that is not a good idea since she is still dealing with the revelation about her friend and the last thing she wants is wrong signals. Buffy halts Willow with extended arm and Willow's face sinks. Buffy's other one is hidden behind her back.

Buffy, motioning with her head to the open entrance and the company outside, just out of view

BUFFY

Willow, wait! I had a very strange conversation with your parents.

Pause.

Buffy, bringing her other hand out, calmly

BUFFY

I got a bible and the card of your family's minister, Reverend Asher.

Willow, outraged

WILLOW

They didn't!

BUFFY

Willow, down.

Pause.

BUFFY

I told them I would go see him and read this fine, fine book. Actually, I have a request.

Willow, upset yet curious

WILLOW

Yes?

Buffy, asking nicely

BUFFY

Read it with me?

Willow turns her back on Buffy, giving her the silent treatment.

BUFFY

Please?

Buffy sets the bible down.

Buffy, placing a hand on Willow's shoulder, warmly

BUFFY

Willow, they are okay with you. They are okay with us. Please?

Willow nods agreement, but stays where she is.

Buffy goes outside and brings the door with her. Ira and Sheila follow her, openly gaping as she casually carries her heavy burden to its former home. Buffy lines up the hinges; Ira inserts the bolts and taps them in. Task done, she steps back into the room.

Behind her, Willow watches this newest development with puzzled interest, having moved after Buffy left the room. Ira and Sheila stand in the doorway.

Sheila, avoiding Willow's eyes when talking to her daughter, giving permission

SHEILA

Bunny is staying the night. I called her mother already.

IRA

We understand and we approve. We won't disturb you.

Sheila, affectionately

SHEILA

We love you, honey.

Sheila reaches out and closes the door. Her and Ira's footsteps move away and then continue down the stairs.

Willow, shocked by the implied consent

WILLOW

Exactly how strange was that conversation, Buffy Anne Summers?

Buffy, her face revealing nothing, solemnly

BUFFY

Sorry, I am talking that secret to the grave.

Pause.

Buffy, into the tense atmosphere, with false cheer

BUFFY

Bible study or school?

Willow scrutinizes Buffy for a long time, making her shift in place nervously. Then a genuine smile breaks out on her face and she goes over to the bed. Sitting, she pats a space next to her invitingly. Buffy swallows and goes over to join her, picking the bible on the way. When she does, Willow reaches out and takes the book from her hands.

Willow, opening it, sunny

WILLOW

Let me tell you about my faith … Bunny.

Buffy groans and plops back onto the bed, hands covering her face. Willow giggles.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – WILLOW'S ROOM - NIGHT

Buffy comes into the room from bathroom, wearing strawberry PJs. Willow is in bed already.

The window is open and Mouse is standing on the sill, in cat form, watching her with interest.

Mouse, lecherously

MOUSE

Tasty.

Buffy, smartly

BUFFY

And like, totally jail bait wrong. What are you, hundred plus?

Mouse, jumping down and crossing the room towards the closet, grumbling

MOUSE

Hey, we are living in Willow's closet. Throw in sobriety and hands off her and her goods and making suggestive comments is all we got left. This is worse than living in your parents' basement.

Willow, brightly

WILLOW

Xander will like that one.

Mouse, to Willow, bitingly

MOUSE

We are glad our misery is inspirational to others. Suck on a hairball, tribade.

The handle on the closet door turns and opens by itself as Mouse approaches. Inside, the shelved and partitioned space is decorated with drawn symbols and few protective trinkets, in addition to holding a sizable portion of Willow's wardrobe. The clothes exhibit muted and subdued color scheme, drawing little attention to its owner. Without breaking stride, Mouse enters the closet, tail and head held high.

Buffy, to Willow, while looking at Mouse, menacingly

BUFFY

Want me to creatively skin his nine lives?

Mouse stops and turns, giving Buffy the evil eye.

WILLOW

Mouse is harmless; even I could beat him up. It is his treacherous, opportunistic ways that worry me.

MOUSE

Tell you what: I might shed a tear when you are gutted by one of the numerous enemies after me, while I sleep protected in this nice, secure closet. See? I care.

Willow, confidently

WILLOW

I got Buffy.

MOUSE

You say that like you believe it. You and your diary make for a whooping minority of two.

The door closes after him.

Buffy trepidly eyes the small bed and then, not wanting to offend Willow, she gets in, close to the edge and as far away from her friend as possible. She lies on her side, holding her breath. She can feel Willow watching her.

WILLOW

Buffy?

Buffy, quietly and gently

BUFFY

Please don't.

WILLOW

I am here; I will be here, waiting.

Willow turns away from Buffy and the Slayer relaxes. Buffy shifts to her back; she glances at the scrunched, tense figure. Feeling bad, she reaches out and rubs Willow's back comfortingly. Willow grudgingly relaxes into the touch.

Buffy, lying, soothingly

BUFFY

It will be okay.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY – EARLY MORNING

Buffy enters and goes to the counter, where Giles is busy sorting books into piles. She is wearing Willow's clothes, which fit but don't do much for her.

Buffy, conflicted

BUFFY

Victoria aut mors.

Giles, concerned

GILES

Problem?

Buffy, cryptically, fidgeting

BUFFY

I said nothing last night to Willow's parents. I let them think what they will; same with my friend.

GILES

Queen's English, please.

BUFFY

Willow's parents have picked a nice Catholic wife for their daughter.

Giles take off his glasses and starts inspecting them closely.

Giles, mechanically

GILES

I see.

BUFFY

They handed me the bible and locked us in a room together.

Giles starts cleaning his glasses.

GILES

I see.

BUFFY

We had hot monkey …

The glasses hit the counter.

Giles, irritated

GILES

Stop!

Buffy, done teasing, shrugging

BUFFY

Nothing happened.

Pause.

BUFFY

Giles, what do I do?

Giles, picking up his glasses to check for damage, curtly

GILES

Will it be an issue?

BUFFY

No. Mouse's presence and Willow's shyness ensure it.

GILES

Does it help the Slayer?

BUFFY

Yes.

GILES

There is your answer. Victoria aut mors.

Buffy, marveling

BUFFY

How did you get so cold?

Giles, honestly

GILES

I buried too many colleagues and relatives. If one of your friends or I take the mortal blow for you, then we served our purpose.

Buffy, unhappy

BUFFY

They don't know that!

Giles, patiently

GILES

Willow and Xander are smart; they made their peace when the charged into the alley after you.

They turn as one when Willow rushes in.

Willow, barging in, interrupting, getting it out in one breath and then losing coherence

WILLOW

We have a low down, no good, dirty rotten, yellow bellied, lily livered, back stabbing, egg sucking, two timing, snake in the grass suspect! The witch, I mean. Cause with the … and the … plus the … so witch.

Buffy, dryly

BUFFY

Or you could have just told us her name.

Willow, grinning

WILLOW

Where is the fun in that?

Giles, impatiently

GILES

Children!

WILLOW

Amy Madison.

Giles, musing

GILES

That name again. What do you know about her?

WILLOW

She lives with her grandparents. Her parents vanished fifteen years ago …

Willow drifts off, realizing the horrifying truth behind their disappearance. The MAN's story is no longer fiction.

Buffy, lightly tapping Willow on the head

BUFFY

Hello Major Tom, are you receiving?

Willow hides her emotions, trying to make it seem like they have a different source. Giles looks at her funny, as if he suspects something.

Willow, snapping out of it, hurriedly

WILLOW

Ah, um, her mother was a cheerleader, National Champion in ASC Nationals three years running. Joy, the coach, has a shrine dedicated to her. So I heard.

Pause.

Willow, to Giles, shaken

WILLOW

It is her, isn't it? She is there both times, sort of to the side, playing with her jewelry.

Giles, nodding

GILES

It fits.

Pause.

GILES

Witches are attuned to life, past and present. It starts direct, with rituals. Those are extended thru enchantments of organics, usually mounted in a setting, such as ring, bracelet, or a pendant. They also have shape-shifting familiars for physical backup. Strongest among them don't need contact or catalysts; they impose their will on the living and the dead. While giving up power to pure magic users, they are utterly devastating because they target weaknesses and the vessel itself, while the former seek to overcome with pure force, usually to the detriment of bystanders. For that reason, witches are often employed as body guards, bounty hunters, and assassins.

Pause.

Giles, clarifying

GILES

Take vampires, a type of demon that takes over dying bodies. Disintegrate the host and poof – one way ticket to Hell or home dimension. We employ the usual: stake, holy water, sunlight. A true witch can obliterate one with a mere thought.

Buffy, bummed

BUFFY

Demons don't die?

GILES

You can send them back, that's all. Unless you face one in its true body and then it will be the last thing you will see. They are limited by the strength of the vessel they possess and you should be grateful for that.

Pause.

Giles, to Buffy, assured

GILES

Amy is an amateur, you should walk thru her, but we need to be discrete.

Buffy, cracking her knuckles, eagerly

BUFFY

Pummeling time?

Willow, injecting restraint, lightly

WILLOW

Easy, action girl; open cheerleader tryouts continue after school.

Giles, to Buffy, decisively

GILES

We will confront her outside the gym then; I will back you. Be here and promptly, once classes let out.

Giles heads inside the library office, leaving them alone.

Left to themselves, Buffy and Willow head for the exit.

BUFFY

Join us?

Willow, shaking her head negative, bleakly

WILLOW

Back to the prison and solitary prayer; exorcising lustful thoughts and carnal desires.

BUFFY

How is that going?

Willow, cheekily

WILLOW

Worse on study nights.

Buffy, groaning

BUFFY

Forget I asked.

Willow, moving closer and touching Buffy on the elbow, seriously

WILLOW

Yours for the taking.

Buffy, sighing

BUFFY

Willow, about …

There is a loud commotion in the hallway outside. Buffy looks at Willow apologetically and Willow chuckles and motions towards the door. Together, they run towards danger.

Buffy, being silly

BUFFY

Slayer and Willow away!

The smile on hearing those words lights up Willow's entire face and blazes in her eyes.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – MORNING

Another cluster of STUDENTS has formed by the time Buffy and Willow arrive, obscuring the latest victim.

Buffy, fiercely

BUFFY

It moves aside or its gets the fire extinguisher.

The STUDENTS, already apprehensive about her intentions, scatter, many pulling others out of her way.

The GIRL, in cheerleader outfit no less, is covered by red splotches on every inch of visible skin. She is scratching so furiously that she is drawing blood. Buffy shakes her head at the crimson mess that will soon be on her and then picks the GIRL up and carries her over her shoulder towards the nurse office. Willow joins behind her, helping to restrain the GIRL'S hands from doing further damage.

Buffy, wearily

BUFFY

Mother said: go out and socialize, get to know people. If you count comforting sniffling Baldilocks, stripping sweaty Jabba the Cheerleader completely naked, and sharing bodily fluids with Catwoman, the knowing is going to drive me shrink-worthy mental. And give me a STD or two.

WILLOW

I don't know; life has a certain, exciting quality around you.

BUFFY

No refunds, all Slayings final.

WILLOW

Oh, you.

Pause.

Willow, somberly

WILLOW

Buffy, Amy will use magic on you. When she does, something terrible will happen; not to you - to her. Reason with her, try to find out why she is doing this. And … be careful.

For once, Buffy has no comeback.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – GYM ACCESS – LATE AFTERNOON

The hallway is empty. There is an entrance to the locker room on each side, girls and boys, and a double door to the gym. The women's door opens and lets out some CHEERLEADERS. The CHEERLEADERS walk down the hall, past a classroom door, which swings opens.

Buffy and Giles casually walk to the double doors. Giles takes his position by leaning on the wall near the boys' locker. Buffy takes out the silver chain and lets the green stone drop. It hangs there is space and then points straight at the girls' locker room. Putting it away, Buffy goes in.

After a few seconds, the door opens a crack and a raised thumb appears, only to withdraw. Giles looks around one final time and then enters.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – GIRLS' LOCKER ROOM – LATE AFTERNOON

The inside is nicer than typical with those things, with the standard lockers, numerous stalls, and individual showers. It is well lit, has a quality paint job, and the contents are well-maintained, from the tile on the floor to the ceiling fixtures.

Giles sticks a stake in the crescent handle on the door, blocking access. He then takes out an all-metal crossbow and loads it with a special bolt. Buffy watches him and when he is ready, she heads out. They react to someone moving, further in.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – GIRLS' LOCKER ROOM – LATE AFTERNOON

Amy slings her backpack over the shoulder and closes the locker. She puts on the lock, turns to leave, and runs into Buffy, standing there. Amy makes a little startled sound.

Buffy takes out the detector again and the stone shoots like an arrow at Amy, only to be held back by the chain.

Buffy, calm and reasonable

BUFFY

Amy, we need to talk.

Amy, touching a ring on her left hand

AMY

Weakness.

Buffy goes down as her legs give out and the chain with the stone falls from her hands. The feeling it temporary and she is back on her feet in seconds. Buffy's shakes off the spell, no worse for wear and Amy takes a step back and reaches for another ring.

Buffy, imploring

BUFFY

Amy, wait!

Amy hesitates and Buffy talks fast.

BUFFY

Your magic can't harm me. Amy, I don't want to hurt you; I want to help you.

AMY

How do you know about witches and why are you resistant to curses?

BUFFY

I am a Slayer, one of the good guys. I have a mentor, a Watcher. The teenagers in Sunnydale High major in angst and you are adding extra credits to graduation.

Amy, her demeanor changing, coldly

AMY

I heard the term Watcher. There are rumors they were involved in the murder of my parents and others.

BUFFY

This about to get ugly?

AMY

Meet Mr. Frankie.

Amy sets the backpack on the floor and opens it. A large, white rat jumps out.

Buffy, cooing

BUFFY

Aw, he is totally cute.

Amy, spitting out, clearly insulted

AMY

She, you Neanderthal.

Amy steps back.

Mr. Frankie stands on its hind legs and begins to grow. She changes as she transforms; molding into a shape of a woman, becoming a kind of rat woman, heavy on the rat. When she reaches full size, Mr. Frankie is six feet tall mixture of pissed off muscle, bristled fur, sharp claws, and pointy teeth. Buffy swallows audibly.

Buffy, amiably

BUFFY

Nice Mr. Frankie, don't eat the Slayer. Want some cheese?

A claw that tries to decapitate Buffy shows that Mr. Frankie resents the stereotype. Reacting, Buffy ducks under the deadly front claws and rushes the familiar. Amy gets caught in the bum rush and goes down. She impacts her head and is knocked out. The rat woman does not get the luxury of unconsciousness; Mr. Frankie is driven thru the stall and slammed into the wall. Unrelenting, Buffy picks up the familiar and smashes her furry body into the white toilet, breaking it; water geysers upwards. Ignoring the beating, Mr. Frankie surges to her feet. A backhand sends Buffy thru several partitions and the rat woman lumbers after her. Suddenly, there is swoosh and a meaty thunk.

Mr. Frankie spins around with a squeal and Giles reloads. There is a bolt embedded in the back of the familiar as it advances on the Watcher. Based on the distance, Giles won't have time to get another shot off, yet still he tries.

Taking advantage of the distraction and trying to save her Watcher from becoming rat cheese, Buffy runs and jumps on Mr. Frankie's back. Wrapping her arms around the neck, she begins to squeeze the life out of the familiar. The rat woman does not make it easy. She bucks and trashes, breaking partitions, and Buffy is hanging on for dear life. Then the second bolt goes into the familiar's gut and staggers her.

There is barely any fight left in Mr. Frankie when the third missile takes her in the heart and drops her. Buffy falls with her and Giles is there to help her up.

BUFFY

PETA will be mad.

Giles, with scorn

GILES

If we locked them in the room with this monster, the ethical treatment portion of the name would be hastily suspended and exterminator called in. You okay?

BUFFY

On one hand I inhaled toilet water; on the other, Willow's outfit. Overall, peachy.

Giles, handing her a small flask from his pocket, wincing

GILES

Gargle and spit, then have one.

Buffy, fondly

BUFFY

You are my hero.

Giles, touched and trying not to show it, gruffly

GILES

Go on, thank Amy for her gift.

BUFFY

Oh, I intend to.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – GIRLS' LOCKER ROOM – LATE AFTERNOON

Buffy walks up to and spits the alcohol in Amy's face. She casually takes a swig and then sputters and gags as the strong, vile concoction burns her insides. Wiping the tears, she corks the flask and puts it away. Amy comes to as Buffy does it.

Amy, guessing what happened and crushed for it, despairing

AMY

You killed Mr. Frankie!

Buffy, growling

BUFFY

Bitch had it coming.

AMY

You going to murder me like your Watcher slaughtered my parents?

Buffy, her patience at an end, annoyed

BUFFY

Seriously, what is your defect?

Amy, touching another ring, viciously

AMY

Fever.

This time there is no effect whatsoever, except for clenching of Buffy's fists.

Amy, touching jewelry in succession, desperate

AMY

Acne ... boils … why is it not working?!

Crouching, Buffy gets in Amy's face.

Buffy, with effort

BUFFY

Amy, it's useless and I am losing control. Please, trust me; I am a friend.

Amy, not listening, going for broke

AMY

Fracture!

Her answer is a hard slap to the face that sends her to the ground crying. Buffy stands up and looks down on the girl with pity.

Buffy, quietly

BUFFY

I am not your enemy.

Pause.

Buffy, her voice turning hard, growling

BUFFY

You want to die, fine. Do it, Amy; cast one more spell and join your parents.

Amy curls into the ball, sobbing. Buffy kneels next to her and picks her up. She draws Amy to her chest and holds her.

Amy, sniffling, afraid

AMY

I want to live.

BUFFY

That is the best choice you made today.

Giles approaches and clears his throat. Buffy ignores him, knowing what he will ask.

GILES

You don't have to be here.

Buffy, protectively hugging Amy, tearfully

BUFFY

Amy is not evil. She is a confused young woman who lost her parents. She is alive and will stay that way. Take away her toys, make her swear not to do it again, I don't care – we are not her judge, jury, and executioner. You want her dead and I will not forget that.

Giles takes out a switchblade and clicks it open. Curiously, the blade is iron, not steel.

GILES

Be reasonable. I promise: it will be fast.

Buffy, holding Amy even tighter, begging thru the tears

BUFFY

You do this and you lose me. I won't take a human life or be accessory to it.

Giles steps away, apparently wresting with something. There is a long silence and then a sigh, followed by the blade closing.

GILES

Here is what we do …

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY OFFICE – LATE AFTERNOON

Buffy doubtfully sniffs the towel that Giles hands her and then begins to dry with it, starting with her hair. Giles updates his Watcher's journal, writing in beautiful, flowing calligraphy.

BUFFY

How much trouble are you in?

Giles, wryly

GILES

Year of solitary in a Tower of London dungeon, without tea privileges.

Buffy, exaggerating the reaction, gasping

BUFFY

The horror!

Giles is not amused.

Buffy, sincerely and gratefully

BUFFY

Thank you, Giles.

Giles harrumphs the sentiment away and setting aside the pen, becomes deeply absorbed in cleaning his glasses. Buffy does not let him off the hook that easily. She walks up to him and hugs him and damn the school rules against contact.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. SUNNYDALE – BUFFY'S ROOM – FEW DAYS LATER/EVENING

Buffy is in the bathroom, applying makeup. Her cell phone rings and she picks it up.

Buffy, checking the caller ID and then breaking into song

BUFFY

I feel pretty,
Oh, so pretty,
I feel pretty and witty and bright!
And I pity
Any girl who isn't me tonight.

Willow, suspicious

WILLOW

You high on something?

BUFFY

Life.

Extended silence follows her answer.

Buffy, prodding, concerned

BUFFY

Willow? I know it is Friday night but if you need a friend, I am so there.

Willow, timidly

WILLOW

… I need a favor.

BUFFY

Xander is under house arrest and Giles is giving me stink eye and avoiding me like the plague; the black kind. Be afraid.

Willow, perking up, confidently

WILLOW

With the amount of prayer lately and being falsely accused, I got martyr points to spare. Bring it on.

Buffy, singing

BUFFY

I feel charming,
Oh, so charming,
It's alarming how charming I feel!
And so pretty,
That I hardly can believe I'm real.

Willow, laughing

WILLOW

You are a goof. I need a partner in crime this weekend. Your house, tomorrow morning?

BUFFY

We robbing a bank?

WILLOW

Maybe.

BUFFY

Black flatters me; plus one this Slayer. Bronze, tonight?

WILLOW

Darn, I have flagellation and fasting, followed by serving soup to orphans.

BUFFY

Don't be afraid to really whip the little snots. The Lord demands dedication.

Willow, singing

WILLOW

Someone is going to Hell.

BUFFY

Already there and it's called Sunnydale.

WILLOW

Religious police inbound. Later, goof.

Buffy, looking in the bathroom mirror

BUFFY

See the pretty girl in that mirror there:
Who can that attractive girl be?
Such a pretty face,
Such a pretty dress,
Such a pretty smile,
Such a pretty me!

Willow's laughter is followed by a click of disconnect.

Buffy, examining herself in the glass, liking what she sees

BUFFY

Pretty me!

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – ALLEY NEAR BRONZE – NIGHT

A FEMALE VAMPIRE has a TEENAGE BOY against the wall, teeth descending on the neck. Buffy enters the far end and quickly draws the stake. She throws it with unerring accuracy just as the incisors touch the skin. The TEENAGE BOY screams as the FEMALE VAMPIRE turns to dust.

Buffy heads over to the whimpering TEENAGE BOY.

Buffy, leaning in, loudly

BUFFY

Boo!

The TEENAGE BOY takes off and runs into the night.

Buffy, casually picking up her stake from the pile of dust, pleased

BUFFY

Well, that scared abstinence into him.

Pause.

Buffy, looking up, talking to God

BUFFY

I get points for that.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – BRONZE – NIGHT

Buffy enters the packed club and looking around, finds Xander. He is busy texting. She joins him.

Xander, finishing and putting away the phone, answering Buffy's unasked question

XANDER

Parents don't care; they told Flutie what he wanted to hear and went back to their miserable, self-absorbed lives.

Buffy, guiltily

BUFFY

Listen, Giles …

XANDER

Used me? No big.

BUFFY

It's a Watcher thing.

XANDER

I am more worried about what you are doing to Willow. Or not doing. With her … err, to her.

Pause.

XANDER

Did that make sense?

Buffy, sad

BUFFY

I can't give her that.

Xander, sympathetically

XANDER

The old: it's not you, it's me, I hope we can still be friends, routine?

BUFFY

I am not her princess.

XANDER

So … dance with me?

Buffy, grinning

BUFFY

I consider you one of the girls.

XANDER

Dance with a friend then? GirlXanderfriend?

Buffy, extending her hand to Xander in invitation, smiling

BUFFY

Lead on, girlXanderfriend.

Xander takes it and guides her to the dance floor.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – BUFFY'S HOUSE/FOYER – MORNING

Buffy paces in the small space, waiting for Willow to show up. Her mother picks this time to show up.

Joyce, antagonistic

JOYCE

Where you going?

BUFFY

What's with the third degree?

Joyce, upset

JOYCE

You talk about cheerleading again, practically burst with anticipation, and then you don't even show for tryouts. Principal Flutie called and said Xander got kicked out. I called Willow's parents and they said she is in therapy. It is starting again. Are you doing drugs?

BUFFY

Mom!

Joyce, working herself into despair, tearfully

JOYCE

What am I supposed to think?

Buffy, softly

BUFFY

Don't you trust me?

The bell rings.

Joyce, confrontational

JOYCE

Who is that?

Buffy, wearily

BUFFY

You are better off not knowing.

Joyce, laying down the law, firmly

JOYCE

You are home before dark and you find new friends or you will spend your remaining teenage years in your room.

Buffy shuts out Joyce, purposefully ignoring her and stepping past her to open the entrance door.

Joyce, trying to repair the damage, calling and reaching out

JOYCE

I love you, honey.

The front door slamming shut is her answer.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – BUFFY'S HOUSE – MORNING

Buffy and Willow walk down the sidewalk.

BUFFY

How much trouble are you in?

WILLOW

I picked my religious habit this morning.

Pause.

WILLOW

Buffy?

BUFFY

Hmm?

WILLOW

I have a secret.

Buffy, mimicking a key turning in her lips and then her throwing it away, sprightly

BUFFY

See? Safe.

Willow, confessing reluctantly

WILLOW

… I am a witch.

BUFFY

Okay, not expecting that.

WILLOW

Does it trouble you?

BUFFY

No, but Giles won't be happy. He is the “shake them and bake them” Watcher. Sorry, stake.

Willow, hesitantly, troubled

WILLOW

I need to tell you something. It is about Giles …

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – OUTSIDE SACRED GROVE – LATE MORNING

Buffy and Willow are in a large clearing. There is an unusual cluster of trees, standing out like an island on the grassy, open space. The trunks are closer than normal, not touching, but definitely not something nature intended. It feels like a hand of man had something to do with the planting and guided the growth. A solitary, small dirt path leads into the depths of it.

Buffy and Willow stand around, kicking earth; they avoid each other's eyes.

WILLOW

You have not said a word.

Buffy, subdued

BUFFY

Thinking. Forget it, let's do this.

WILLOW

According to Mouse, I enter the grove at noon today and leave it twenty four hours later.

BUFFY

Whole day?!

WILLOW

I will understand if you leave.

Buffy, looking at Willow as if she lost her mind, firmly

BUFFY

You want to spend a night in Sunnydale outside? I am staying.

WILLOW

Why? You can have everything: cheerleading, social life, and popularity. It is about priorities.

Buffy, wistfully

BUFFY

All I have to do is put Slayer second and sacrifice you, Xander, and a few innocents.

Willow, with conviction

WILLOW

You won't.

Buffy, falling back on humor and making light of the matter

BUFFY

Heck of a self-imposed curse.

Willow, touching Buffy on the forearm, gently

WILLOW

No. A special person I am proud to know and call friend.

Willow breaks contact and leaves, heading into the heart of the grove.

Buffy, looking at Willow's back, pensively

BUFFY

I don't feel special.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – OUTSIDE SACRED GROVE – NIGHT

Buffy is startled out of her sleep by an appearance of a transparent figure in hooded robe. She leaps to her feet and sets defense.

BUFFY

Back off Casper, I know Slayer.

SPIRIT, floating around and speaking in faraway voice

SPIRIT

The test is not the one who enters the sacred cove. The test is who they bring with them.

BUFFY

O no, I am not converting to tree worship. There is no hugging of greenery and fuzzy woodland creatures in my future. No way, nohow; I draw a line at Mr. Gordo.

SPIRIT

The who?

BUFFY

No, that's the rock band. The pig.

SPIRIT

Your choice if Willow becomes a witch. In that case, she won't know. If you say no, she will.

Buffy, admiring

BUFFY

Like, way twisted. She has no say?

SPIRIT

The people we bond with speak for us. Willow has made her choice in you. Now it is your turn. I will return with the sun.

The SPIRIT vanishes.

Buffy, grouchy

BUFFY

Great, a guilt trip.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – OUTSIDE SACRED GROVE – NOON

Buffy is watching the clouds on her back when she hears Willow approach, looking very disgruntled.

Willow, complaining

WILLOW

Big, fat, enormous nothing; zero, zilch, nada, goose egg. No sleep, no revelation, and not one lousy apparition in the entire time. I want my day back.

Buffy, laughing

BUFFY

Congratulations, grumpy: you pass.

Willow, lost

WILLOW

I do? I did? Huh?

BUFFY

You are a witch; Casper the judgmental ghost said so. Sit with me.

Willow lies down close to Buffy, shoulders nearly touching.

BUFFY

Giles' loyalty is not to the Slayer, it is to the Watchers' Council. It makes sense: one me and hundreds them. You protect your own.

WILLOW

Don't go profound on me.

BUFFY

Slayers die young and alone. I intend to change the odds.

Willow, optimistically

WILLOW

Xander and I in your plans?

BUFFY

The foundation of them; it will be a secret.

Willow, smiling

WILLOW

Our shared secret: Buffy and the Slayerettes.

Buffy, smiling back

BUFFY

It will be a great show.

Pause.

BUFFY

Willow, about us: we need to talk

The SPIRIT appears again, right at the entrance to the grove. His timing couldn't be worse.

SPIRIT, voice booming

SPIRIT

Enter!

Buffy and Willow stand up; the witch starts to move away, towards the SPIRIT. Buffy's hand shoots out and restrains her.

Buffy, getting it out, leaving no misunderstanding, honest and earnest

BUFFY

Willow, I'm not like that. I'm sorry.

Willow, patting Buffy's hand on her arm, insincerely, lying

WILLOW

I understand.

Reassured, Buffy releases Willow and steps lively in the SPIRIT'S direction.

Willow, eyes fixed on Buffy, under her breath, wholeheartedly

WILLOW

One day you will open your eyes and truly see me.

Willow goes to join her friend.

CUT TO:

INT. WITCH COVEN - CEREMONIAL ROOM - AFTERNOON

Buffy and Willow enter the chamber, following the SPIRIT. It gives off enough light in the darkness to navigate but nowhere close to amount needed to see details. And then it vanishes, leaving them in the darkness.

Willow, scared

WILLOW

Permission to hug.

Buffy, good-naturedly

BUFFY

Come here you Wicca chicken.

There is a slight shuffling noise in the dark as Willow tries to locate Buffy. This is followed by a sudden squeak of surprise.

Willow, surprised

WILLOW

You can see in the dark!

BUFFY

Better?

WILLOW

The dark is not a good place to be, especially when the dark is really dark. And this dark is extra with the dark … sorry, deep breaths, positive thoughts, eyes shut.

Many seconds pass.

Willow, settling down, her voice still a little rough

WILLOW

Much.

As if someone turned on the switch, all the leaves begin glowing at once. Light suffuses the space, revealing Buffy holding Willow tightly and the witch clutching her back. That is not the only thing that comes into view.

Buffy, sensing Willow opening her eyes and starting to shift in her arms, warningly

BUFFY

Keep your eyes closed.

Willow buries her face in Buffy; this darkness is welcome and desired.

Shotgun shells cover the floor. Skeletons in tattered, multicolored robes blanket the floor closer to the center. Fifteen years in the hiding, the Watchers' sin is out.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

 

Return to the Annex

Return to the Author's Page