Buffy the Vampire Slayer

“Teacher's Pet ”

Episode 6, Part 2

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is copyright 20th Century Fox Film Corporation . All original content of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog


TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. WHIPS CELLAR – XANDER'S CELL – FRIDAY/NEAR DAWN

Xander comes to and quickly when the door opens. Groping blindly, he grabs the metal bucket in easy reach and attacks Angel when he enters the cell. Angel smoothly avoids his clumsy lunge and clamps onto Xander's forearm with an iron grip.

Angel casually takes the bucket and casts it aside. It hits the ground with a clang and rolls to a stop.

Angel, returning the arm to its owner, calmly

ANGEL

I'm a friend of Buffy's.

Xander, massaging the feeling back into the numb limb, surprised

XANDER

Angel?

ANGEL

Fallen and minus the wings.

Xander, sarcastically antagonistic

XANDER

Bringing the funny; no wonder she crushes on you. The yaks never stop, until the bitter, sour tears of divorce. Trust me, you don't want her.

ANGEL

You done?

Xander, firmly

XANDER

No. You can't have Buffy.

Angel, amused

ANGEL

Oh? Why not?

XANDER

She and Willow belong together.

ANGEL

Why don't we let her decide?

Xander, with feigned sincerity and a fake smile

XANDER

May the best girl win.

ANGEL

You do want to be rescued?

Xander slaps his forehead.

Xander, talking to himself out loud

XANDER

Come on Xander, get it together. First we escape, then we insult. Sheesh.

Pause.

Xander, gesturing towards the open door, exaggerating cynically

XANDER

Right … with the escaping … not being here … gone.

Angel stands there, unmoving.

Xander, impatiently

XANDER

Well?

Angel, patiently

ANGEL

Vampire. Brothel.

Xander, a tad slow on the uptake, puzzled

XANDER

Huh?

Angel, deadpan

ANGEL

Emphasis on vampire. Emphasis on it not being dawn.

XANDER

Regular comedian we have here.

ANGEL

You this dense always?

Xander, pushing past Angel, irritated

XANDER

I don't like you.

Angel stops Xander with a hand on his shoulder.

Angel, evenly

ANGEL

Let me explain this part; slowly. We have: prostitutes in every flavor, some high, vampires, of every stripe, likewise, and barrels of aged humans on tap. You want to walk out there and become a free meal, an abused orifice, or bottled spirit - go ahead.

Xander, focusing on the worst outcome first, stuttering

XANDER

P-p-p-pickled people?!

ANGEL

Dark enchantment; blood stays intact, rest dissolves into enriching essence.

Xander shivers.

Xander, touching the long scar on his face, scared

XANDER

The blonde, psycho vintner?

ANGEL

Darla runs the place for the Master; there are few homeless or runaways in Sunnydale.

XANDER

What do I do?

ANGEL

I unlocked the doors. Hide till daylight and then run for it.

Angel lets Xander go and walks out of the cell.

Angel, looking back, serious

ANGEL

It's Friday and they are delivering fresh barrels. Don't be here.

Angel closes the door, but does not lock or bar it.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – BEHIND WOODSHOP – EARLY MORNING

As part of his daily routine, Flutie inspects the school grounds. Motoring briskly, he slows down when he notices an unmarked van parked behind the woodshop. Its back doors are open and so is the emergency exit to the building. Frowning, he quickens his steps.

Coming around the van doors, he faces the contents of the vehicle. Apparently, that includes the occupant.

Flutie, outraged

FLUTIE

Who are you?! What is the meaning of …?

A large, meaty paw grabs his front and pulls him into the van. The last thing visible is Flutie's feet, up in the air, and then a lone shoe drops to the pavement. There is a sound of a body being slammed roughly against the walls, with the corresponding shake of the vehicle. Once; THUD. Twice; THUD. Then silence.

Drawn by the voice and the noise, a SHOP TEACHER walks outside and looks inside the van. He is a short, wiry man in his forties, with a crew haircut, heavy work boots, jeans, and a long sleeved shirt.

SHOP TEACHER, reproachful

SHOP TEACHER

Natalie, did you play nice?

Gruff, yet clearly female voice answers him.

NATALIE

Human little broken. Natalie sorry. Mr. Hall mad?

HALL

Babe, you did good; you will finally get a reward tonight.

Natalie, her tone betraying her need, openly pleading by last word

NATALIE

Promise. Wait. Wait. Wait. No wait. Want. Now?

Hall, checking his phone with practiced motion, agreeably

HALL

First class at nine, plenty of time; spare a few minutes. Sure, baby.

Hall disappears in the van and things quickly heat up, by the sounds of things. Intense make out session begins inside, interspaced with Natalie's grunts and Hall's murmured, whispered endearments. After a short while, just as things are getting interesting, the lovers are suddenly interrupted by a groan of pain. Few seconds later …

Flutie, breaking the mood temporarily, disgusted

FLUTIE

You people are sick! Think about the children! Carrying on in broad day…

Natalie, furious

NATALIE

Meat!

Something strikes flesh THUMP, someone flattens some wooden objects CRASH, and then, presumably, that someone hits the wall THUNK.

Natalie, contrite

NATALIE

Human lot broken. Natalie really sorry.

HALL

I like when you get creatively assertive.

Someone's clothes get ripped.

HALL

Up to a point.

More hurried kissing.

NATALIE

Love?

Hall, slightly bored

HALL

Sure, sure.

A text notification goes off on the cell from inside the van, CHING.

HALL

Going to overtime.

Someone is thrown on the floor, THUMP.

Hall, slightly alarmed, somewhat out of breath

HALL

Okay, bad choice of words. Down on the passion, sugar; I still have to work today.

Grunt from Natalie followed by more fabric torn apart.

Natalie, growling

NATALIE

Mr. Hall!

HALL

Well put.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INTRODUCTION

On the screen, various images of Buffy and the Scooby Gang appear and a voice reads the passage.

BUFFY VOICE-OVER

Into every generation she is born; one girl in the entire world, a Chosen one. She alone will wield the strength and the skill to fight against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness; to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their numbers. She is the Slayer.

CUT TO:

INT. WHIPS – HALLWAY – EARLY MORNING

Xander sneaks down the corridor, lined with numerous doors. The décor is pure bordello and it would be wise not to linger but this is Xander.

Stopping near the end, he makes sure that no one is watching and then tries the closest door. Xander's eyes open wide as the door swings open and he impulsively takes a step forward.

At that exact moment, from around the corner, Natalie lumbers forth in all her seven foot glory. Xander, busy admiring the interior, does not notice. Not until a hand taps his shoulder. He turns.

XANDER'S POV

Facing him is a wall of human flesh. His eyes travel upwards, linger on the large chest, and continue upwards to Natalie's face, which breaks into a wide grin.

BACK TO SCENE

NATALIE

Human toy. Natalie play.

Xander makes the fatal mistake of backing right into the room, sealing his fate. Natalie follows him inside and closes the door.

CUT TO:

INT. WHIPS – WHITE ROOM – EARLY MORNING

The room is done entirely in white and the furniture is upholstered with white leather. The main feature is the enormous bed, which can accommodate Natalie and leave room for two more of her.

Xander, trembling

XANDER

Don't kill me.

Natalie, happy

NATALIE

No kill. You new. You free. Give sex.

Xander, begging

XANDER

On second thought, kill me.

Natalie goes past him and sits on the bed heavily. She starts crying. Xander takes a step towards the door and stops. He comes back and sits next to her.

Xander, quietly

XANDER

I'm sorry.

Natalie, sniffling, haltingly

NATALIE

Darla says free. Free no sex. Free not want. Free call freak. Free laugh. Natalie hurt.

Xander gets up and retrieves some tissues; her brings them back and hands to Natalie.

Natalie, after wiping her face and blowing her nose, outpouring, sadly

NATALIE

Mr. Hall sex. Say love. Not love. Not feel. Lie. Only need. Used. Okay. Not okay. Natalie want … want …

Xander, placing a hand on Natalie's oversized thigh, sympathetically

XANDER

They make fun of you, call you loser; mocking with their eyes and expressions even when words are left unspoken.

Natalie looks at Xander and nods in shared understanding. He stands up and moves in front of her. She watches him warily, afraid of being wounded again.

Xander, shy and sweet

XANDER

Can I … um, kiss you?

NATALIE

Want?

Xander, throat dry, wiping his sweating hands on his pants, nervous

XANDER

Very much.

Natalie, vulnerable

NATALIE

Hurt?

Xander, softly

XANDER

I won't hurt you.

Pause.

Xander, confessing

XANDER

I am scared too.

Natalie closes her eyes, giving him trust and permission. Capacity to love comes in all shapes and sizes.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – LATE MORNING

Xander is making his way thru throng of STUDENTS when a voice catches his attention.

Hall, making a beeline for Xander, over the noise in the corridor

HALL

Xander!

Xander stops and waits for Hall to reach him, seeing how the STUDENTS part for the teacher but not him.

Xander, woodshop and its teacher being the highlight of school, respectfully

XANDER

Yes Mr. Hall?

Hall, proudly

HALL

There is my best student. I got an outside project this afternoon; you interested? You get credit for time, not that you need it.

Xander, enthusiastically

XANDER

Are you kidding?! I murder for your class.

Pause.

Xander, disconcerted

XANDER

That sounded better in my head.

Hall, dismissing it

HALL

No sweat, I appreciate it. With your help I will survive the deadline.

XANDER

Uh, survive?

Hall, grinning

HALL

The line was this morning; the dead arrives Saturday.

XANDER

Yikes, that is some customer.

Pause.

XANDER

Is that even legal?

HALL

You live in Sunnydale; you tell me.

Xander, eagerly

XANDER

I will be there.

HALL

It's long, arduous work.

Xander, shrugging

XANDER

Beats Doublemeat Palace and home.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY – NOON

It is gloom and doom in the library. Giles is pretending to read and Buffy and Willow are slumped in the seats, dejectedly staring at the walls and ceiling.

The door opens, Xander walks in, and everything changes.

In a blink, Willow attaches herself to Xander like a human octopus; with a running start, no less.

Willow, mauling Xander, crying happy tears

WILLOW

XANDER!!!

Xander, unsuccessfully trying to pry Willow loose, crying in distress

XANDER

Crushed pelvis, crushed pelvis!

Willow reluctantly releases Xander; she keeps one hand on him, afraid to let go. Buffy - who came over with Giles in a more restrained manner, unlike Willow's wild flight - gives Xander a careful hug. Giles pats him on the shoulder. Then three pairs of expectant eyes fix on Xander, demanding an explanation.

Xander, somberly

XANDER

A mixed had her way with me; repeatedly and then again.

The reactions are immediate.

Buffy, shouldering all the blame, hanging her head, guiltily

BUFFY

I'm sorry.

Willow, hand flying to her mouth, tears springing up, distressed

WILLOW

Oh no …

GILES

Uh … uh …

Giles removes his glasses and disappears into furious cleaning.

Xander, setting them all up, with a straight face

XANDER

Looking back, past the pain, humiliation, and girly screaming, I can say one thing with absolute certainty …

Pause.

Xander, holding a second longer for a dramatic effect before delivering triumphantly

XANDER

I scored!

Upset, Willow immediately punches Xander on the arm.

Xander starts on the Happy Snoopy Dance but quickly reconsiders due to limited mobility and glares. Only the Slayer appears unfazed.

Buffy, taking Xander's tweaking in stride, philosophically

BUFFY

Boys are strange.

Giles sets the glasses on his nose in a manner that shows his feelings. He does not need to say or do anything – the disapproval is plain in his expression and posture.

Willow, already forgiving, focusing on Xander's facial scar, gently

WILLOW

Darla?

Xander, lightly

XANDER

Nah, her thing is torment with children's songs and romantic clawing. Natalie, the brothel's bouncer did the deed and quite well. In fact …

Giles, interrupting, politely yet insistently

GILES

Uh, Xander, and I speak for everyone here: I think we have enough … um, details, thank you.

Buffy, counting off on her fingers, brightly

BUFFY

So: captured, imprisoned, tortured, seduced the beautiful yet dangerous assistant, found the doomsday device and sabotaged it, destroyed the villain's lair, escaped with the girl, and had ...

Giles, playing the spoiler role to a tee, sternly cutting in

GILES

We all know how the movie ends, Buffy.

BUFFY

And the wet blanket award goes to …

Xander, smiling

XANDER

Actually, run into Angel.

Buffy, taking the bait, interested

BUFFY

Do tell.

Xander, planting a seed of doubt, lying

XANDER

He was there for the cellar, with its blood wine. Chief ingredient: tasty, yummy humans and almost yours truly.

WILLOW

It's like ewww and gross has a baby and that baby had a baby with itself and that would still not be as wrong and demented as this.

Buffy, spreading her arms, palms up, in response to Willow, addressing the room

BUFFY

I got nothing.

Pause.

Buffy, to Giles, unhappy

BUFFY

Why would he … Giles?

GILES

It is an expensive delicacy but only vampires drink it; blood wine is an accurate label. It would make you sick, even if could stomach it. I suppose resale value is high enough to warrant the risk.

By silent agreement, the entire group makes its way towards the back.

Giles, to Xander, being less than charitable, with a whiff of disdain

GILES

Why did you come in today instead of calling sick? To school and given your lax, deplorable attitude towards all things books and learning.

BUFFY

Trust you to insert a moral lesson.

Xander, ending with a grin

XANDER

First day after suspension, no phone, and shop class. And I missed you guys.

Willow, resolutely

WILLOW

You were missed. There were tears and angst; it was a proper missing. There was a forecast of a grief front with a high chance of wailing and rending of clothing.

BUFFY

What she said. With the missing sprinkled with rejoicing.

Buffy and Willow approach and take the chairs; Giles hovers near them.

Xander, to Buffy and Willow, jumping up and sitting on the table surface, teasing

XANDER

If I knew about you tearing each other clothes off, I would have stayed away another day. And taken pictures.

Willow rises and punches him on the arm again.

XANDER

Hey, cripple here!

Pause.

Xander, to Willow, sulking

XANDER

You beat the manliness out of me.

BUFFY

Oh, I think that is long gone.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – WOODSHOP – EARLY AFTERNOON

The interior is one large, open room. The only partitions are a corner walled off and a high, chain link enclosure, topped with razor wire. Inside are: lumber, tools, and supplies, plus a desk with a computer. Those occupy a third of available estate. Workstations and various machines are spread throughout the rest. In a bow to formal instruction, a blackboard is set on the front wall and chairs are scattered around it; nothing formal or neat, just a mass of them.

The working classroom's door opens and Xander walks in. The homemade chime mounted on it announces his entrance. In response, Hall pops out of the enclosed space and waves Xander over. He then disappears inside.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – WOODSHOP BACK ROOM – EARLY AFTERNOON

Xander enters and turns pale as he comes to a halt. The setup is cooper/metal shop; the iron hoops look mighty familiar, although without the symbols, and the weathered, white oak quarter logs awaiting turning into staves are too long for normal barrels.

Coming out of shock, Xander looks around and fixes on the progress already made. Some lumber is already cut to proper length, planed on the outside and slightly hollowed on the inside, giving a clue to the size and shape of the finished product. It's the nightmare come true; same barrel as the collection under Whips.

Hall, not noticing Xander's discomfort, amiably

HALL

It is challenging but for someone of your talent and skill: cake. You are one of the few rare students who actually want to be here; you proved that over the last year. Official school policy: lock the delinquents and troublemakers in shop and hope the carnivores eat each other. We golden, apprentice?

Xander basks in the warm glow of praise and visibly relaxes. He is no longer a mocked loser; Hall treats him like a winner and believes in him.

Xander, his chest swelling with pride, confidently

XANDER

One motivated carpenter on the job.

Pause.

Xander, seeing life beyond Doublemeat Palace, unable to believe, shakily

XANDER

You think …?

Hall, smiling

HALL

Journeyman by the time you graduate? References and help with trade certification? You keep the proper attitude and show dedication and I promise you: no silly hats in your future. Well, excepting Halloween.

There are sounds from the other side of STUDENTS arriving. Hall heads to the door and stops, with his hand on the handle.

HALL

I will take you on side jobs if the sacred act of cow and chicken coming together is not doing it for you anymore.

XANDER

I admit: the cult indoctrination video loses its pep after repeated viewings.

HALL

You in?

XANDER

I will take better future for $2000, Alex.

HALL

Good man.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – GILES' APARTMENT/LIVING ROOM – EVENING

Six MERCENARIES in black, complete with body armor and masks, lean on walls and furniture. Willow and Xander are on the couch and Giles is talking in low tones to the MERCENARIES' LEADER.

Buffy walks in, strolls to the couch and plops down between Willow and Xander, even thou there is hardly any space to fit. In retaliation, those two scoot to the sides and return armed. Buffy is pelted mercilessly with throw pillows as Giles and MERCENERIES' LEADER come over to face the three.

Giles fixes the teenagers with a warning look; much to Buffy's relief, weapons of feathery mayhem are put away. However, it is not over. Willow and Xander look at each other, grin, and then drape themselves over Buffy, squashing her. Showing no weakness, she bears the relegation to back support stoically. Giles can only shake his head and steps to the side, leaving MERCENARIES' LEADER the center of attention.

MERCENARIES' LEADER, all business

MERCENARIES' LEADER

Out target is the blood wine. We go hard half hour before daylight. Intelligence indicates three entrances to the basement: sewers, delivery vehicle ramp on the back, and from upstairs. Plans are uploaded to your tablets; study them.

Pause.

MERCENARIES' LEADER, staring directly at Willow, making her fidget

MERCENARIES' LEADER

The first is welded shut; Willow terminates the downed vampires while weapons hot team backs her. Watch the narrow space and fields of fire. Booby-trap and join with Giles when complete.

Pause.

MERCENARIES' LEADER, to Giles

MERCENARIES' LEADER

Second weapons hot team backs the Watcher and Angel, secures the cellar. Hold out until backup arrives. Lethal force authorized on humans. Take the DNA samples from barrels and set the fuel bomb timer when done.

Pause.

MERCENARIES' LEADER, still addressing Giles

MERCENARIES' LEADER

You going to call him?

Giles confirms nonverbally.

MERCENARIES' LEADER, shifting to Buffy

MERCENARIES' LEADER

Last team zaps; Slayer stakes. Idea is to cause a panic, clear the building.

Pause.

MERCENARIES' LEADER, looking around

MERCENARIES' LEADER

Everyone clear?

Acknowledgments from everyone, except Xander; he raises his hand, and then puts it down as if embarrassed by the sudden attention.

Xander, tad petulantly

XANDER

I did not hear my name.

MERCENARIES' LEADER

You get Natalie.

XANDER

Um, okay?

MERCENARIES' LEADER

Take her home, keep her busy.

Xander, working it out verbally

XANDER

How am I … I see.

Pause.

Xander, on board with the plan, thrilled

XANDER

I like that action!

Buffy struggles free of her human blanket, throwing in tickles for extra motivation to her captors. It works and they release her.

Xander, feigning outrage

XANDER

You sir, fight dirty.

That gets him a mischievous grin in return. Buffy then takes MERCENARIES' LEADER by the arm and steers him next to Giles. Grabbing the Watcher in similar manner, she takes them both to the kitchen for a private talk.

CUT TO:

INT. GILES' APARTMENT – KITCHEN – EVENING

Buffy comes in, dragging Giles and the MERCENARIES' LEADER with her. She stops once well inside the space and out of hearing of others.

Buffy, suspiciously

BUFFY

Why no permanent presence?

MERCENARIES' LEADER

Targets; we are not you. Watchers Council kept sending people and Hellmouth “return to sender” the bodies. A Watcher and strike team are not enough.

Pause.

MERCENARIES' LEADER, carefully

MERCENARIES' LEADER

Younger generation is different, lives are valued. You think Watchers are expandable; you should see our casualty rates. That is no longer acceptable and we adapt accordingly. Watcher rings, we answer, we do the job, and we leave. I am fine with that; I got family.

BUFFY

And the masks?

MERCENARIES' LEADER, compassionately

MERCENARIES' LEADER

If we are not good or lucky enough, I don't want our faces to haunt you.

Buffy, pushing for more, stubbornly

BUFFY

I want to know your name and what you are not telling me.

MERCENARIES' LEADER considers her request in silence and then nods agreement.

MERCENARIES' LEADER

I'm Lester. Off the record?

Buffy, placing a hand over her heart, dramatically pledging

BUFFY

My lips are sealed … I always wanted to say that.

LESTER

We are a message.

Pause.

Lester, importantly

LESTER

When Council asks …

Buffy, teasing

BUFFY

I am not breeding a new race in your secret research facility under Thames to start the dawn of a new order.

Lester, shaking his head

LESTER

You crazy Americans …

Pause.

Lester, adding with a smile

LESTER

And the lab is on an island, on top of an unstable volcano.

Buffy, practically dancing with excitement, eagerly playing along

BUFFY

Ooh, ooh! Shark tank? Piranhas? Alligators? Really vicious puddles?

Lester, slowing down his speech and lowering the tone, polite and refined

LESTER

Sorry, budget cuts my dear. All we could afford is goldfish and train them to swarm and tickle. We sure hope you swallow one and choke to death.

Buffy starts laughing and Lester joins her. Soon, the two howl hysterically, feeding off each other; Giles cracks a pained smile at the antics as others look on to see what is happening. The laughing fit looks like it could last a while.

CUT TO:

INT. GILES' APARTMENT – KITCHEN – EVENING

Buffy, Giles, and Lester return to the living room and gather by the couch.

Lester, stepping apart, to MERCENARIES

LESTER

Crash where you are, lads.

Bodies hit the floor and try to find a comfortable position to rest.

Giles, taking his cue from Lester

GILES

Buffy, Willow: take my bedroom.

One of the MERCENARIES hands Lester a large sports bag and he reaches inside and hands a black outfit to surprised Willow and Buffy. In addition, Willow gets a stab vest.

LESTER

The vest is modified to absorb impact. Now you look the part.

Buffy, ebulliently

BUFFY

I'm going commando!

All activity seizes and all eyes end up on Buffy.

Willow, softly

WILLOW

Buffy, I don't think it means what you think it means.

Buffy, playing it cool, innocently

BUFFY

Kicking gum and chewing ass?

WILLOW

In the buff.

BUFF

Don't scoff at the element of surprise.

Xander, piping in

XANDER

I don't think we have enough stripper cakes.

Dead silence; not so much as a chuckle. There is however, a cough and someone clears their throat; both are jarring in the ensuing silence.

Xander, in quicksand and digging furiously, lamely

XANDER

Because of the giant … and jumping out … come on, it's funny!

Buffy, handing him her cell

BUFFY

Xander, P.T. Barnum. He demands you put the clown down and back away.

Xander silently mouths “May I?” and Buffy nods confirmation. He takes her phone and realizes he is behind a comeback.

Xander, fishing for a clever retort, throwing out the first that pops into his head

XANDER

Luddite!

Puzzled glances answer him.

Xander, looking at Willow, dispirited

XANDER

No?

Willow, shaking her head

WILLOW

No. You want Puritan.

Giles, taking mercy on the boy, gently

GILES

Go home, Xander.

Lester, taking out a piece of paper and handing it to Xander

LESTER

Her landline.

CUT TO:

EXT. GILES' APARTMENT – ENTRY DOOR – EVENING

Xander nervously paces in front of Giles' place. He stops, takes out the phone then puts it back. Another round of steps and repeat; this time he dials the number before his courage departs him.

Xander, talking so fast the individual words nearly run together, rushing out

XANDER

I need to see you tonight.

CUT TO:

INT. XANDER'S HOUSE – LIVING ROOM – LATE EVENING

The TV coldly illuminates the cans on the floor and Jessica passed out on the couch. Xander, who arrived with Natalie, continues to his mother; she waits, shifting uncomfortably on her feet.

In a procedure done countless times, Xander checks Jessica and then turns her on her side. He gets a threadbare blanket and covers his mother. Placing a kiss on her temple, he steps back and goes to turn off the TV. Silence and shadows appear, broken by Jessica's labored breathing and street lights.

Xander moves back to Natalie and takes her hand.

Natalie, eyes firmly fixed on Jessica, concerned

NATALIE

Worry?

Xander, tearing up, inevitability and acceptance of it in his voice

XANDER

One day I will find her dead.

NATALIE

Father?

Xander, bitterly

XANDER

Him too.

Pause.

XANDER

It will be a Snoopy Dance kind of day.

Xander pulls Natalie along and she lets him lead her to the kitchen; she keeps looking back at the fitfully snoring figure on the couch the entire time.

CUT TO:

INT. XANDER'S HOUSE – BASEMENT – LATE EVENING

Xander and Natalie walk down the stairs, he normally, she hunched over. They get to the landing and stop; looking at the undersized mattress, they start giggling.

Natalie, joking

NATALIE

Small.

Xander, lightly

XANDER

I been called worse.

Natalie, placing her hand on his chest, touching his heart in every sense

NATALIE

Big.

Xander, afraid to tell Natalie the truth, timidly half asking, half pleading

XANDER

Stay till morning?

Natalie, trying to make sense of her feelings, unsure

NATALIE

Like Xander. No. Not like. Love?

Xander, avoiding discussion of their feelings, pushing the physical because it is easier

XANDER

Let's.

Natalie buys it. They come together in a kiss and stumble back towards the bed; unwilling to part yet impatient to get started on the night's activities.

CUT TO:

INT. XANDER'S HOUSE – BASEMENT – SATURDAY/EARLY MORNING

Xander comes to and groggily reaches for Natalie. Not finding her, he frowns and then opens his eyes. Realizing he is alone, he jumps out of bed. Dressed in boxers and barefoot, he runs up the basement stairs. Once on top, Xander barges thru the door with such force that it slams open against a kitchen wall. His passed out parents don't react; no surprise there.

CUT TO:

EXT. XANDER'S HOUSE – SIDEWALK – EARLY MORNING

The neighborhood is blighted by boarded houses and occupied yet dilapidated homes. Xander's is one of the latter. The sidewalks are dangerously cracked and overgrown. The street is full of potholes. Garbage is everywhere except in the trash containers.

Those, broken and full of bullet holes litter the lawns and sidewalks. There is plenty of graffiti.

Xander runs outside in his underwear, hoping to spot the van and stop its departure. Unfortunately, it is gone and there is no sign of it. An OLD MAN walking the dog gives Xander a dirty look and crosses the street to avoid passing closer.

Xander does not care about him, anyone else, or his own state of undress. He takes a few faltering steps and sits on the ground, eyes locked on the spot where the vehicle was last night. Sensing an opportunity for furthering his misery, fate activates the sprinklers, drenching him; Xander does not react or appear to care. His whole world revolves around what is missing from it and what it means. Natalie went back to the brothel.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT THREE

 

 

 

ACT FOUR

FADE IN:

INT. WHIPS – LOBBY – EARLIER THIS SATURDAY/HALF HOUR TO DAWN

Two six plus foot tall HUMAN GORILLAS flank the entrance door. The lobby has a wraparound bar, lining the two walls in L shape. Few PROSTITUTES chat across the empty seats, left so to make the customers feel free to approach the working woman of their choice. The atmosphere is cozy, the music low and romantic, and the soft cushions on barstools inviting. The PROSTITUES are all wearing expensive lingerie and black seems to be the predominant color; no doubt a preference of the usual clientele. A discrete, well camouflaged exit leads into the pleasurable bowels of the building. The female BARTENDER in a tuxedo, working the counter, completes the picture. The overall appearance of the place exudes class.

The peace does not last. The main door flies inwards, the victim of Buffy's kick. She is thru it and on the HUMAN GORILLAS in a flash. They don't stand a chance, out cold before they can react. Behind Buffy, Lester and two MERCENARIES follow. All four are wearing black outfits with full face masks. The men have armored vests.

The PROSITUTES shriek and take off, running past Buffy and out the front entrance. Buffy is already heading inside and ignores them. However, the BARTENDER has other ideas and she brings up a shotgun in response to the invasion.

Before the BARTENDER can get a shot off, electricity from a Taser reaches out and touches her. She drops like a stone, breaking things on the way down.

Lester, to MERCENARIES, them being on tight schedule, tersely and urgently

LESTER

Throw her outside.

The two MERCENARIES quickly move to carry out his orders.

Buffy and Lester take position near the door leading further into the building while the men pick up the BARTENDER none too gently and take her out of danger.

Buffy, her eyes salivating over the Taser, trying to play it cool, nonchalantly

BUFFY

Nice toy. Work on vampires?

LESTER

Slows them down, but pisses them to no end.

Pause.

Lester, smiling

LESTER

I will leave you a couple with a case of ammo. Word of advice: don't pull out during drinking games.

BUFFY

Good to know, hard to resist.

CUT TO:

INT. WHIPS – SEWER ACCESS – PREDAWN

The room is stacked on both sides with half century of junk. A narrow hallway leads to it and the passage hardly widens when inside. A steel door with a green exit sign presumably leads to the sewers. It is being welded to the metal frame by a MERCENARY #1. MERCENARY #2 faces towards the cellar, auto shotgun in hand. Next to him, Willow stands with a stake and hammer in her hand.

Suddenly, sounds of suppressed gunfire erupt ahead. A VAMPIRE comes sprinting, moving so fast the humans appear to be in slow motion. He is upon MERCENARY #2 in the blink of an eye. Before Willow even can scream, the barrel roars with fire and the VAMPIRE is thrown back violently. The second round follows, then a third and fourth. It takes one more from advancing MERCENARY #2 before the VAMPIRE goes down.

Willow stands frozen, her mouth open and nothing coming out.

MERCENARY #2

Willow!

Willow snaps free and runs to the fallen VAMPIRE. With shaking hands she places the stake over his heart and hesitates, hammer raised and poised to fall. The temporarily stunned yet fast recovering VAMPIRE takes his eyes off MERCENARY #2 and directs his hatred at Willow. He hisses and grabs her throat.

The threatening action and the surge of resulting adrenaline shatter Willow's paralysis and she brings the tool down hard, dusting the VAMPIRE before it can snap her throat. Then the pent-up emotions pour out of her in tears.

MERCENARY #2, putting his hand on Willow's shoulder, supportively

MERCENARY #2

You were scared, you pushed it down, and you did what you were trained to do.

WILLOW

What now?

MERCENARY #2, taking the hand away, confidently

MERCENARY #2

Back up and be ready to do it again. You won't hesitate the second time.

Sniffling and wiping at her nose with the back of her right hand, Willows gets up and heads back to MERCENARY #1. When she walks, her posture is straighter and her stride more determined. Life makes or breaks.

CUT TO:

INT. WHIPS – CELLAR – PREDAWN

The cell doors are open. Few piles of dust mark the passing of unlucky vampires. The door eventually leading to the upstairs is off its hinges and in pieces. MERCENARY #3 is setting up a fuel bomb, while MERCENARY #4 and Giles are watching the door. Angel leans against the barrels.

Abruptly, he straightens and heads for the back, sliding door. Giles looks at him inquisitively and Angel signals “I got this”. The Watcher returns to his guard of the front entrance. The MERCENARIES continue with their tasks.

The vampire is almost at the door when it glides open smoothly and rapidly, apparently pulled by someone with great strength. Angel comes face to face with very surprised Natalie and instinctively swings.

The powerful hit barely registers and she grabs him by the front of the jacket and sends him airborne with ease. Angel lands heavily on the blood wine barrel, shattering it.

Alarmingly, the cask does not spill red. In the ruin of staves and hoops, naked Flutie is suspended in a solid block of clear jell, barrel-shaped. He is quite dead. The disturbing thing is the tendrils of blood spreading like roots from all over his body. Right now they are very thin and long. Angels scrambles off the gelatinous coffin, but his assistance is no longer needed.

The MERCENARIES assume firing positions and aim their AK47s; twin clicks announce safeties off. Giles continues to watch the door, confident they have it covered between them and Angel.

Natalie, charging the MERCENARIES, furious

NATALIE

MEAT!!!

CUT TO:

INT. SEWERS – UNDER WHIPS – DAWN

Darla tries the metal door and it does not budge. Vamping out, she puts the ear to it and listens. Hearing something she does not like, she furiously unleashes on the sturdy metal door, which might as well be paper. The metal groans and gives under the determined bashing, until it barely hangs in there, showing the junk-packed room beyond. Figuring it about done, Darla lowers she shoulder and slams into it. The door gives, falling flat with a clang. Faster is the explosion of shaped charges, which tears thru the room, obliterating life and undead with equal enthusiasm.

CUT TO:

INT. SEWERS – UNDER WHIPS – DAWN

Angel emerges thru the dust and smoke suffusing the air, unperturbed. He stops at a first sign of blood trail and vamps out. Few deep sniffs later, he locks onto his prey. Taking out a stake, he takes off, hunting.

CUT TO:

INT. SEWERS – DEAD END – EARLY MORNING

Angel comes to a wooden door set in the wall at the end of the hallway. Transferring the stake to his left hand, he reaches for the handle and freezes. A bloody sign of a sun and three stars appears on the smooth surface and starts bleeding red. It is a warning and a territorial marker.

Angel withdraws his hand and turning around, quickly departs. Behind him, the symbols slowly fade.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – WINDOWLESS OFFICE – EARLY MORNING

The room is typical of an executive suite: large oak desk, comfortable leather chair, phone with large LCD screen, laptop, and filing cabinets. The walls are bare aside from a flat screen TV and there is no sunlight; all the lighting is artificial. There is no way to tell if the space is above or underground. The colors are light and cheery.

The Master is an elderly man in his fifties. He looks harmless, almost grandfatherly; his attire is a conservative yet modest cut of cloth. He is busy reading an old manuscript when someone knocks and after a few seconds enters without prompt.

Darla is a sight: apparel and flesh alike ripped by shrapnel and covered in dust, dirt, and dried blood. She approaches the desk and stands there, waiting for him to acknowledge her presence.

The Master raises his hand and there is a TV remote in it. He clicks the screen to life and it shows the words “special report” under the image of Whips, now a smoking shell of a ruin, belching darkness into the waking world. The volume is too low for human ears but evidently not for a vampire, as Darla looks to be listening intently. Having made his point, the Master clicks the appliance off.

Master, pronouncing the sentence, disappointment plain

MASTER

You failed.

Darla, ashamed

DARLA

Yes, Master.

Master, amiably but with a steel undertone

MASTER

The Council sent me a strike team. How thoughtful of them. I want you to be equally kind and return the generosity shown. Will you do that, Child?

DARLA

Yes, Master.

MASTER

We wouldn't want the Major think he runs this town, now would we?

DARLA

No, Master.

MASTER

See, you know your place.

Pause.

MASTER

Wait by the route out of town. When you hear me whisper, leap over the fence and attack.

He opens a drawer and takes out an object.

Master, tossing Darla a gold pocket watch, generously

MASTER

You have one minute of immunity to sunlight. Your reward for faithful service is half of it.

The Master returns to his manuscript.

Taking it as a dismissal, Darla bows low and start to leave.

Master, not looking up, conversationally

MASTER

Oh, and Darla?

DARLA

Yes, Master?

Master, smiling at her, kindly

MASTER

Wear something nice, say a dress. I am running a business here; good impressions are everything. I want the best for your funeral.

DARLA

Yes, Master.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – OUTSIDE GILES' APARTMENT – MORNING

Buffy and Willow are shower fresh and changed back into their normal clothes. They are standing at the door to Giles' apartment, trying to figure out their next move.

Willow, yawning

WILLOW

Pooped.

Buffy, bursting with energy, practically skipping in place, eagerly

BUFFY

Espresso Pump?

Willow, doubtfully

WILLOW

When the powers of caffeine and sugar combine …

Buffy, supplying helpfully

BUFFY

Super witch?

Willow, theatrically

WILLOW

Hyper Willow! Able to study and research for hours!

BUFFY

Not another Giles in tweed skirt.

Willow, covering her eyes, disturbed

WILLOW

Projecting scary visual.

BUFFY

He could be kilt Scottish and Free Willy proud.

WILLOW

Ewww, worse.

Buffy and Willow laugh; Buffy links arms, pulling Willow along. They start walking.

Buffy, grinning

BUFFY

We going to call Xander and tease him mercilessly?

Willow, resolutely

WILLOW

You know it.

Pause.

Willow, frowning

WILLOW

What's with the energy girl and clinginess? Not that I am complaining; enjoying clingy Buffy very much here. In the best friend sense, not hands in wrong places way. Because that would send signals, good … bad, bad signals … done now.

Buffy, evasively

BUFFY

Slaying makes me bubbly. You mind?

WILLOW

To quote Xander: going to a happy place.

Buffy, mischievously

BUFFY

Dream fast.

Buffy increases the pace rapidly without releasing her hold on Willow's elbow and the witch becomes completely preoccupied with staying upright and not being dragged behind her friend like luggage.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MAPLE COURT STREET – MIDMORNING

The Main Street of Sunnydale stretches past downtown and exits the city proper among a cordon of cemeteries, small businesses, and churches, with an odd park or two rounding out the eclectic collection. Sunnydale is big on green cover, for obvious reasons. Way in the distance, on the east side of town, black smoke mourns the death of a brothel.

The traffic is light near the corner where Mouse leans against the building. He is holding a folded open magazine in one hand and a phone in the other. Spotting a GM white van few intersections over, Mouse dials.

MOUSE

I just picked them up, Master.

He leaves the line open and keeps watching.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MAPLE COURT CEMETERY – MIDMORNING

The door to the crypt opens and Darla walks out. She is wearing a fancy cream dress and is barefoot.

Darla, stopping and turning her pale face to towards the sun

DARLA

Sixty seconds. I remember the sun, the warmth, and the light.

Pause.

Darla, spreading her arms, thirstily drinking the rays, content

DARLA

I am happy.

Pause.

DARLA

Fifty seconds. I remember England, the colors of my youth.

Pause.

Darla, focusing on the small tree near her, reaching out and touching the leaves

DARLA

I see, touch it again.

Pause.

DARLA

Forty seconds. I remember Virginia Colony and the day I died.

Pause.

Darla, suffering coloring her voice

DARLA

I remember the night I rose.

Pause.

Darla, wistfully

DARLA

Thirty seconds. I remember what I became.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MAPLE COURT STREET – MIDMORNING

Following a distance behind a family sedan, the white van approaches the green-lighted intersection, going about 35-40 Mph.

Mouse, yelling into the line, animated

MOUSE

Go!

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MAPLE COURT CEMETERY – MIDMORNING

Darla turns towards the wall separating her from her destiny.

Master, whispering on the breeze, barely audible

MASTER VOICE-OVER

Kill.

Darla, vamping out, determined and in control

DARLA

I have no regrets.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MAPLE COURT STREET – MIDMORNING

The DRIVER and Lester see Darla jump over the cemetery wall, wisps of light grey smoke surrounding her. She lands gracefully and explodes into the street at an angle, heading straight for them.

DRIVER, shocked

DRIVER

What the <BLEEP>?!

Lester pulls the wheel sharply to the right as Darla leaps onto the incoming car. The roof caves in on impact and glass explodes outwards. There are panicked screams from the FAMILY inside and the car swerves drunkenly. Darla is already gone, using the roof as the springboard to lunch headfirst into the van windshield.

The DRIVER dooms the strike team by stomping on the brake pedal when Lester twists the wheel. Rapidly slowed, the delay allows the now heavily smoking vampire to crash thru the windshield instead of eating the metal side. More fatally, it sends the MERCENARIES tumbling forward – the last place they want to be.

The van veers to the right and heads for the cemetery wall with a squeal of brakes and tires. Inside, Darla bursts into flames as she tears into the strike team. Few shots rings out, but it is futile. In close quarters, bunched up and against a half-insane with pain vampire, the MERCENARIES have no chance. Splattered blood and smoke quickly obscure the view of the slaughter.

The van rolls to a stop, the solid stones stopping its progress at last. Smoke pours from radiator and a horn goes off. Inside, there is a burst of flame and light and the few remaining – intact - windows explode outwards. Intense fire erupts inside the vehicle, ensuring no survivors.

Lone fire siren wails in the distance. On the street, PEDESTRIANS gawk at the sight in wonder and passing DRIVERS pull over and join them. In the distance, the somber column from Whips' pours into the sky, now joined by its smaller twin. The car that Darla squashed is farther down the road, where the shaken yet uninjured FAMILY is being helped out by few PEDESTRIANS.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MAPLE COURT STREET – MIDMORNING

Mouse rips his eyes from the wreckage of lives and turns his attention back to the phone.

Mouse, shaken yet hiding it well

MOUSE

It's done, Master.

Mouse hangs up and snaps a picture of the burning van. He then sends it.

His job done, Mouse tosses the disposable phone and the magazine into a trashcan and walks away. In the background, the fire rages out of control.

FADE OUT:

TO BE CONTINUED
END OF PART TWO

 

 

Return to the Annex

Return to the Author's Page