Buffy the Vampire Slayer

“ I, Master … You, Slave”

Episode 8

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is copyright 20th Century Fox Film Corporation . All original content of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog


TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – STREET – EARLY MORNING

Buffy and Willow are walking together, holding hands. Xander skates up to them and hops off in well-practiced motion. He picks up the board and falls into step smoothly, making it look effortless. If only he applied the same dedication to studies, thinks Willow.

BUFFY

You're overachieving this morning.

XANDER

Class cutting is precise science. I take pride in slacking.

Pause.

Xander, to Buffy, puzzled

XANDER

Why you carrying Willow's backpack?

Buffy, swinging their joined hands, happy

BUFFY

Friend zone with benefits.

XANDER

It is against the law to park your benefits in the friend zone. Say, any digital media to go with those? I volunteer if you have hands full ripping the clothes off.

BUFFY

No and Hellmouth no.

Willow, impishly

WILLOW

Memories are all we have; wicked memories.

BUFFY

We are not doing it Xander.

Xander, fervently

XANDER

No, you have to be doing it! I can help: scented candles, bubble bath, romantic music, red wine, massage oil. Whatever will get me naughty-friction action footage, I am there for you.

Willow, making a big production of offense taken, punching him in the upper arm

WILLOW

You did not just go there. You did! Xander!

Xander, flinching from the hit, meekly

XANDER

In my defense I have none. Pick one: self-respect, self-esteem, success, manliness. The shields, they are breached and the warp core is exploding.

BUFFY

We already have Willow for that.

XANDER

Popular culture? I am her Yoda.

BUFFY

Thanks for ruining her. And no, babbling is the winner.

Willow halts her steps, bringing everyone to a stop.

Willow, pouting adorably

WILLOW

Standing here. Withholding sugar.

Buffy lets go of Willow's hand and checks the witch's behind. Xander follows course and notices a bulge in the pants' welt pocket. Buffy starts rooting in there, until she strikes a package of chocolate M&Ms. The Slayer claims the spoils as Xander scratches his head.

Buffy, ripping it open with her teeth and dumping some into her mouth, triumphantly

BUFFY

No you are not.

Xander, looking from Buffy to Willow, frowning

XANDER

Why are you playing where in the Willow is candy?

Willow reaches for her own backpack and opening it, gets some Skittles. This goes into the slash pocket on the front of her pants.

Willow, making sure that Buffy sees her put the new goodies there, smugly

WILLOW

She is not. I am.

Xander, catching on, highly impressed

XANDER

I see. I admire.

Willow, loftily

WILLOW

Giles repeatedly stresses Slayer training. I am sharpening her people and body language reading skills with every package of sweet, delicious sin.

XANDER

Willow, trust me. Even blind, she couldn't miss the big, flashing neon sign saying: eat here.

Buffy, wisely

BUFFY

Candy is totally the ultimate evil. Only childproof caps come close.

Xander, shaking his head, reproachful

XANDER

You gone and done it; there is a sugar demon in our future.

BUFFY

Delicious, I say.

XANDER

You are a lost cause. Willow, I don't say it enough: you are a genius. A demented, twisted genius and … can I just bask in your brilliance?

Willow, waving her arm, benevolently and magnanimously

WILLOW

Bask away, peon.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – STREET NEAR SCHOOL – EARLY MORNING

When they approach the school building, Willow's demeanor changes; she removes her backpack from Buffy and increases the distance from the Slayer, dropping the hand holding. Her arms draw in protectively and her hands drift towards the front of her body. The witch goes into her shy shell.

Surprisingly, it is Xander who takes action. He pulls the backpack off Willow's shoulder and onto his.

Xander, surprised and stating the obvious, his voice strained

XANDER

Oof. Knowledge is heavy on heavy. Willow got tonnage.

Buffy, to Xander, teasing

BUFFY

That's a good girl.

This time Xander is ready.

XANDER

Not everyone not named Buffy takes Slayer steroids. I think it explains the grr. And pimples – no worries, you can hardly see them.

Buffy instantly reaches for her compact mirror and starts checking her face worriedly.

Xander, putting an arm around Willow, amiably

XANDER

Xander, the surrogate girlfriend: safe in public, PDA friendly, and may I say, better looking than the real thing.

Willow wraps an arm around his midsection.

WILLOW

Hugs extra?

XANDER

Hugs free.

Willow, mischievously

WILLOW

Can I call you Buffy?

Xander, dramatically

XANDER

Drive the knife in … almost there … twist it … ah there, that's got it!

Willow, resting her head on his shoulder, warmly

WILLOW

Think I will keep you.

Xander, returning the sentiment

XANDER

I missed this.

Buffy, trailing behind them, searches hard enough and finds one zit. It is an epic tragedy.

Buffy, on discovery of a lone imperfection, lamenting

BUFFY

I am a monster!

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MAIN STREET – EARLY MORNING

An ELDERLY LADY briskly shuffles down the sparsely occupied sidewalk, passing several stores. She comes to a stop in front of Dragon's Cover, a magic shop. Looking around and seeing no one pay attention to her, the ELDERLY LADY grabs the nearby trash basket and throws it thru the shop window. It goes right thru it and smashes into the glass shelves loaded with new age knickknacks, breaking them in turn and sending a rain of destruction inside.

The ELDERLY LADY takes off, right into the nearby alley. She hurries down the narrow passage and then ducks into the one running behind the shops. The ELDERLY LADY finds a spot behind a dumpster and takes out a cell phone. She smiles when it makes a new message noise and quickly checks it.

ON THE SCREEN

Congratulations Margaret! You have 1000 Fantasy dollars. Enjoy!

ON MARGARET

Margaret, excited

MARGARET

Mama is going shopping!

Margaret turns off the device and stashes it back in her purse. Ensuring no one saw her and that the area is clear, she moves out.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INTRODUCTION

On the screen, various images of Buffy and the Scooby Gang appear and a voice reads the passage.

BUFFY VOICE-OVER

Into every generation she is born; one girl in the entire world, a Chosen one. She alone will wield the strength and the skill to fight against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness; to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their numbers. She is the Slayer.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – SUNNYDALE HIGH – EARLY MORNING

Buffy, Willow, and Xander find the usual chaos replaced by eerie quiet. STUDENTS have cell phones and tablets out and are busy with them. No one is talking and the few STUDENTS not involved with personal electronics are skulking about, afraid to disturb the silence.

Snyder emerges from the main door, takes a deep breath and sweeps his eyes approvingly over the STUDENTS.

Snyder, pleased

SNYDER

There is only one thing that would make this perfect …

The herd of Cordelia and the CORDETTES passes by him, chattering away and his face twists in disapproval. They ignore him completely and head through the door.

Cordelia, from inside, disdainfully

CORDELIA VOICE-OVER

Seriously, who let the troll out?

Snyder pretends that was not directed at him. He has a harder time ignoring the next comment about him.

Buffy, innocently

BUFFY

Teenagers these days: you have to throw the Principal before the troll. Show the short, balding man the exact measure of respect he deserves.

Xander, jumping in

XANDER

You wouldn't catch me even thinking of calling him Principal Troll, no matter how accurate the description.

Encouraged, Willow opens her mouth.

Snyder, with an edge to it, daring

SNYDER

Say it, Miss Rosenberg. Show the world what you truly are. Say it and make my year.

Xander claps a hand over Willow's mouth and pushes her past the Principal; she mutters into his hand.

Buffy, singing brazenly as she disappears inside

BUFFY

Those who have seen your face,

Draw back in fear.

I am the mask you wear.

It's me they hear.

Snyder shoots pure venom after Buffy.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY OFFICE – EARLY MORNING

Buffy, Willow, and Xander pile into the small space and drape themselves over the furnishings. Without ceremony, Giles hands them cellphones.

Giles, fixing Willow with a steely gaze as she is already fiddling with hers, sternly

GILES

Official issue: secure, scrambled channel, tracking of other units in our group, strictly limited to WAO access and Slayer functions deemed …

Willow, interrupting, smugly

WILLOW

Unlocked it!

Buffy, quickly

BUFFY

The what of WAO?

Giles, taking the phone away from Willow, irritated

GILES

Willow, give me that. Fortunately, we planned for that possibility.

Giles puts away witch's phone and takes out another one. It is clearly marked with sticker bearing Willow's name in capital, red letters. He tosses it to her.

Giles, turning to Buffy, proudly

GILES

Watchers' Archive Online. If Slayer will not go to the knowledge, the knowledge must come to the Slayer.

Buffy, unimpressed

BUFFY

Score none for British ingenuity; no wonder the empire is toast. Oh, and in case anyone wants to make a crack about books, I am allergic to them and smartasses. Thread gingerly.

Willow, suddenly

WILLOW

Yay me!

Giles, exclaiming

GILES

Come bloody on! This was secured by the best of minds; how can you unlock it in seconds?

WILLOW

They left the default password on?

Giles confiscates all the devices he recently handed out.

GILES

Come back for yours at lunch; I have England to call.

Xander, finally joining in, enthusiastically

XANDER

We sure showed him!

BUFFY

Slow clap.

In coordinated manner, Buffy and Willow do so.

Xander, defiantly

XANDER

I will just speed it up in my mind and make it sound like applause.

Buffy, pulling Willow out by her hand, cutting the mocking short, with a parting shot

BUFFY

Come on Willow, Xander brain drain is not a sight for human eyes.

Willow gives Xander an apologetic look and allows Buffy to drag her away. Xander sighs and slumps in place.

Xander, wistfully

XANDER

Those two are inseparable; school, patrol, tutoring, and overnights. How do I compete?

Giles, giving Xander full attention, fatherly

GILES

By not; be their friend.

XANDER

They are not lovers.

Giles, uncomfortable with the directness, mumbling

GILES

Um, yes.

Xander, confused

XANDER

Why would Buffy be with Willow if she is not her type? I understand my best friend but what is Buffy getting out of it?

Giles, navigating carefully, stiffly, growing rather uneasy towards the end

GILES

Buffy can't date Angel and she wants to. They get close, he loses control and the Slayer responds. On the other side, Buffy plays girlfriend for Willow's parents. The rest, no clue; are they or aren't they, Buffy won't say.

Pause.

Giles, seeing Xander's accusing look, defensively

GILES

I am her Watcher. She tells me things, up to a point. You are Willow's best friend – perhaps you should follow suit?

XANDER

I will do that.

Xander stands up and goes to the door, only to stop in the doorway. He stands there for a while and then, mind made up, he faces Giles with a determined set to his features.

Xander, strongly and insistently

XANDER

I am part of the inner circle.

Giles considers it for a moment and then nods approval.

Xander, sharing, bravely throwing it out there

XANDER

Giles, I removed and buried the bones from Sunnydale Witch Coven. How do I consecrate the remains?

Giles, sharply

GILES

Who is the witch?

Xander, evasively, stalling

XANDER

How did you know?

Giles, impatiently

GILES

Entrance is invitation only; you were escorted on premises by the real thing.

Pause.

Giles, pointedly

GILES

You asked in; the witch, Xander.

Xander, hesitantly revealing, quietly

XANDER

… Willow.

Giles, starting to pace, making it sound like swearing, bitingly

GILES

Stupid girl.

Xander starts to tip toe out, surreptitiously making for the exit. The movement catches Giles' eye and he covers the distance between them in few steps.

Giles, arresting Xander's escape, firmly

GILES

You are going to help fix this …

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – MORNING

Buffy and Willow make their way together between classes. The witch takes out a bag of chips, opens them, and hands them to Buffy, who sets upon the poor things with murderous intent. Suddenly, as if remembering her manners, the Slayer offers the snack to Willow, who shakes her head negative. Mischievously, Buffy takes out one chip and hand feeds Willow, who nimbly takes it from her fingers before her mind catches up. Then the witch nearly chokes on it as amused Buffy watches her. No STUDENT pays them attention; most are busy with their phones and the rest appear indifferent or okay with the display.

Willow, coughing chip pieces, embarrassed and a little mad

WILLOW

Why did you do that?!

Buffy smiles mysteriously and then returns to eating and walking as if nothing happened. Willow catches up and then tentatively takes Buffy's hand in hers as a way of apology. Buffy glances down at their intertwined fingers and then grins at Willow.

Willow, encouraged by the response, mumbling shyly

WILLOW

Sorry, public wigging.

Satisfied that all is well with her world once again yet short a hand, Buffy resorts to dumping the contents of bag directly into her mouth. She crumbles the package and hits an arching, perfect three point shot thru the rim of the nearest trash can.

Buffy, playfully

BUFFY

You scored yourself a limited edition Slayer Barbie; take her out for a drive once in a while.

WILLOW

I very want, I do, but …

Before Willow finish, Buffy's reflexes halt them in a nick of time. An ATHLETIC STUDENT wearing a football helmet, likely one of the players but out of uniform except for headgear, runs head first into a trophy case. The ATHLETIC STUDENT passes right in front of Buffy and Willow, barely missing running them over.

As stunned Buffy and Willow watch, the ATHLETIC STUDENT grabs a large trophy at random and runs off, taking out a cell as he does so.

Buffy, stating the obvious in self-aggrandizing manner while pointing a finger at the sky

BUFFY

Aha! My keen intellect deduces evil is afoot, Dr. Rosenberg. Say, who was that extra-large and crazy gentleman?

In the background, STUDENTS start to congregate and whisper in hushed tones, discussing the incident.

Willow, her mood turning gloomy, sighing

WILLOW

Larry the bully, of I play football, crush beer cans on my forehead, and make caveman grunts variety. I occasionally do jocks' assignments so they won't play “dunk the Xander” in boy's restroom.

BUFFY

Dip and swirl?

Willow, shuddering

WILLOW

Unflushed.

Buffy, commenting sadly

BUFFY

The high school food chain is a thing of cruel beauty.

Snyder picks that moment to come running and he takes in the shattered glass and the missing trophy as a personal affront. Buffy shrugs and smiles innocently, showing her empty hands.

Snyder, outraged, crying out as he sweeps his eyes over the gathered STUDENTS

SNYDER

Savages, you savages!

Buffy helpfully points him in the wrong direction and Snyder heads opposite to it.

Willow, singing out

WILLOW

Busted.

Buffy, shaking her fist after the Principal, theatrically

BUFFY

Towards you I shout, you all-destroying but impotent troll; to the last I grapple with you; from Hell's heart I stab at you; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at you. Curse you, curse you; I damn you thousand times over to suffer my curse!

The SUTDENTS around Buffy look at her as if she lost her mind and back away slightly.

Willow, dragging Buffy away, giggling

WILLOW

Come on, drama-mama; leave the harmless puffer fish alone.

Buffy at first allows her and then something catches her eye and Willow's effort goes nowhere; it is like trying to move a mountain. Giving up, Willow first looks at Buffy for an explanation and then follows her gaze.

Buffy, pointing at one of the STUDENTS taking their pictures, curious

BUFFY

Who is the wrong vibe with the camera?

WILLOW

Slayer sense?

BUFFY

Freak-o-meter; he is ignoring the glassy carnage and concentrating exclusively on yours truly.

Willow, with dislike

WILLOW

Creepy Warren, courtesy of the yearbook committee.

Pause.

Willow, now uneasy with the attention Warren shows them

WILLOW

He is in computer club; stalker attentive and obscenely suggestive. He wanted to plug in his cable even after I told him I don't take his kind of connectors.

BUFFY

You even reject in geek; I am in awe. What convinced him to back off?

Willow, proudly

WILLOW

Xander defended my honor. Tracked him down after reading a particularly vile IM and punched him, blooding his nose.

BUFFY

There might be hope for him yet.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – LATE MORNING

Buffy drops Willow's hand and heads inside the classroom without a backwards glance. Willow stands there looking after her long after the Slayer is gone. Finally, Willow exhales loudly and moves off. A MAN, unnoticed by anyone, follows her.

GIRL, appearing out of nowhere at Willow's side, sympathetically

GIRL

Girlfriend trouble?

Willow, protesting by reflex and then going all over the place

WILLOW

No, no … Love-a-lot Bear fine … who are you?

GIRL

Anya; I'm around. If Buffy breaks your heart, let me know. She hurts you, you make the bitch pay.

And just like that Anya is gone, like she was never there in the first place. Willow stops.

Willow, standing and looking around as the STUDENTS flow past her, confused

WILLOW

Okay …?

Willow does not see the MAN behind her disappear as well. She is not aware of his presence from the beginning; neither is Anya.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH - COMPUTER LAB – NOON

The last STUDENT files out, heading to lunch; it leaves Warren alone at this monitor in the back. Anya picks that moment to waltz in and she makes a beeline for him.

Anya, brightly

ANYA

It's working!

Warren, looking up, unhappy

WARREN

Undo it. I want the girl she is with.

Anya, her cheer evaporating, putting Warren in his place, caustically

ANYA

Out of your league Buffy? Missing the concept here, lover boy.

MAN, joining Warren and Anya out of thin air, calmly

MAN

Problem?

Anya's reaction is one of fear and anger.

Anya, screaming at Warren, mad

ANYA

You stupid, insignificant man; you did not make a deal with HIM?!

MAN, amiably

MAN

See Warren, vengeance demons have been known to work without contract and Hell frowns on freelancers – if they get caught. Did she have you sign anything in blood?

ANYA

You wouldn't …

MAN, to Warren

MAN

You are free.

Pause.

MAN, to Anya

MAN

And you … enjoy your stay.

Anya rushes out, upset.

The MAN turns his attention back to Warren.

MAN, asking his head, disappointment plain in his voice, tsking

MAN

Warren, Warren, Warren.

He reaches behind the computer case and retrieves a dull, black object. It is part stone, part metal; wires cross the surface, similar to a circuit board and some lift free, wriggling in the air like a forest of tiny feelers.

Warren, alarmed

WARREN

Fantasy needs a platform and connectivity.

The MAN rips Warren's shirt exposing the bare chest and presses the stone against the skin. Warren cries out as the device takes root in his body; the MAN cuts the noise off by clamping a hand over his mouth. Incredibly, the MAN then lifts him and motions for the nearby closet door to open.

Inside the small space is the wiring closet for the entire school, along with rack of servers and switches. Warren is deposited inside and the wires shoot out of him and fuse with the panels and equipment. The MAN takes the hand away and couple wires immediately extend to Warrens mouth and sew it shut.

MAN

Consider yourself upgraded to pawn.

The door shuts by itself and the MAN vanishes.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. SUNNYDALE HIGH - BACK FENCE - EARLY AFTERNOON

Xander walks alongside the rear of school buildings, glancing about, every which way. Coast clear, he runs for the chain-link fence and starts climbing it.

At the exact same instant, Anya barrels forth from between the structures, visibly upset. She spots Xander.

ANYA

You!

Xander freezes and looks back over his shoulder at her.

Anya, unwittingly shifting into her demon face, ordering

ANYA

Comfort me!

Xander is over the fence and sprinting as fast as his legs will carry him.

Anya, annoyed, huffing indignantly

ANYA

What's his problem?

Pause.

Anya, looking herself over, miffed

ANYA

Who would not want all this?

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY OFFICE - EARLY AFTERNOON

Buffy is ostensibly doing homework, her brown bag of lunch set aside for Willow exchange. The book is open but the notebook is empty of notes and features mainly doodles. Buffy appears distracted and keeps glancing at the closed entry door.

To her credit, Buffy does not jump when the voice and the body to go with it greet her eyes and ears unexpectedly.

MAN, tsking, sounding highly disappointed

MAN

You failed girlfriend 101: always treasure her before parting.

The MAN has both arms behind his back.

MAN, bringing forth a hand with Love-a-lot care bear in it, generously

MAN

Her favorite.

Buffy, refusing to take it, sarcastically

BUFFY

Great, the pimp of evil returns, bearing gifts – we are so doomed.

Pause.

Buffy, suspiciously

BUFFY

You are in way too good a mood. Are you taking over the world? Apocalypse?

MAN, lightly

MAN

Eventually, yes. Not this year, full schedule and other commitments.

BUFFY

But you are up to something?

MAN, calculatingly

MAN

Buffy, Warren wished for a vengeance demon to break Willow's heart. Anya cast a love spell on her.

Buffy, noncommittally

BUFFY

Chalk one up for free will.

MAN

She did not know the witch was already in love with you. The magic merely enhanced what was there already. Breaking the spell does not change things for her but does for you … or does it?

The bear issues another invitation, waved enticingly in front of Buffy's face.

Buffy, defeated by cuteness and guilt, taking the stuffed toy, admitting warmly

BUFFY

I care for Willow … a lot. Don't think parting of ways is in the cards.

MAN, nodding sympathetically

MAN

Explains things for her, complicates them for you. Still, she does not have to know.

Buffy appraises his posture, wondering what else the MAN is hiding behind his back.

Buffy, one prize secure, cheekily asks for more

BUFFY

Got chocolate?

MAN, bringing his other hand forth and producing a chocolate bar, ribbing

MAN

Going for apology or kissage?

Buffy, ripping the paper and foil and tearing into the dark delicacy with relish

BUFFY

Nah, I'm hungry.

Pause.

Buffy, hamming it up, toasting him with partially eaten piece

BUFFY

Till next time, mortal nemesis.

MAN

I look forward to it.

The MAN vanishes and the door handle turns with perfect timing.

Willow barely opens the door when Buffy is draped over her neck, arms crossed behind Willow's nape, faces close. Willow puts her hands on Buffy's hips, emboldened by the Slayer's audacious advance.

Willow, bringing them breath-close, softly

WILLOW

I could have been Giles.

Buffy, trapped, tries to buy time and get out of this without hurting Willow, joking

BUFFY

That would have been awkward.

Willow, misreading Buffy's panic for interest, tilts her head and closes her eyes. She is definitely not in the mood for jest; the object of her desire is close enough to taste and she does.

Gliding her hands up Buffy's sides, she kisses her. It is a gentle, tentative brushing as Willow gets comfortable and then boldly turns into firmer meeting of lips. Willow, initially timid, gets it right quickly and presses her advantage; Buffy just stands there, not reciprocating.

Reluctantly, Willow pulls back, licking the shared chocolate and hungry for more sugar and Buffy. The non-participation of Buffy is not registering on her.

Thinking fast, as Willow's hands resume their roaming progress towards either cupping her face or tangling in her hair, Buffy sticks the bear between their faces. Willow frowns, opens her eyes, and finds herself nose to nose with Love-a-lot.

Buffy, holding the bear like a cross to ward off the vampire, escapes while Willow is distracted.

In response, Willow moves her head to the side, past the toy blocking her view.

Willow, frowning

WILLOW

What gives?

The witch tries to go around the bear and Buffy keeps her at arm's length.

Willow, starting to freak out, worried

WILLOW

What's wrong? Is it me? Am I a bad kisser? Lunch breath? It's me, isn't it?! Oh no, I …

Buffy sighs, interrupting the oncoming babble flood and hands the bear to Willow, who takes it and hugs it protectively.

BUFFY

I did not expect you; you surprised me, in a good way. I meant to hide the bear and the chocolate; hence my clinginess and your one-sided, illicit smooches.

Pause.

Buffy, reproachful

BUFFY

Willow, you promised.

Willow, crushed, chewing her lip and tearing up

WILLOW

I will understand if you hate …

Buffy picks a tissue from a box and stepping up to Willow, delicately wipes her tears. She tosses it into the wastebasket and gets another, for the witch's nose. Willow blows politely and trying to imitate Buffy's shot, completely misses.

Buffy, quietly

BUFFY

I don't regret it, but don't do it again.

Pause.

Buffy, sincerely

BUFFY

It was sweet and you. Speaking of, my lips are not a chocolate dispenser.

Buffy breaks off the chewed end of her chocolate and gives it to Willow with a grin.

Buffy, mischievously

BUFFY

It's got nibbles.

WILLOW

Not big on crust.

Willow pops the fragment into her mouth and enjoys it. It visibly lifts her spirits.

Willow, judging herself forgiven, affectionately

WILLOW

Thank you for my first kiss.

Absentminded, Giles enters his office and catches the last part.

Giles, stunned

GILES

OH MY DAYS!!!

Buffy and Willow quickly scramble out, past the shocked Watcher. Buffy returns a few chagrined seconds later, silently gathers her lunch and books into her backpack and leaves again. She avoids looking at Giles, who is furiously cleaning his glasses and ducking her eyes.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – OUTSIDE LIBRARY - EARLY AFTERNOON

When Buffy exits into the hall and approaches Willow, the witch is securing the Love-a-lot bear to her backpack.

Buffy, with a straight face, profoundly

BUFFY

That bear has seen things; it is an experienced bear.

Willow, embarrassed

WILLOW

I … I can take it off …

BUFFY

Stripping, is it; you trying to lose all your firsts to me?

Willow, blushing

WILLOW

Buffy!

A streaking MALE STUDENT runs by them, with Snyder in determined pursuit. Acting on sheer reflex, Buffy trips him. The MALE STUDENT drops his cell in the struggle to recover but manages to keep his feet under him and keeps going. Snyder gives Buffy a dirty look in passing for her failure to apprehend the suspect.

Willow, picking up the abandoned phone, thoughtfully

WILLOW

Could be a clue; I will be in the library, researching full moon madness.

Buffy tosses her backpack to Willow and salutes her.

BUFFY

Extreme peace officer Buffy: the high school years.

Willow, laughing

WILLOW

Go mall ninja.

Buffy takes off after Snyder. Willow shoulders the second backpack and enters the library.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY OFFICE - AFTERNOON

The door opens wide and lets in the Slayer. Buffy is disheveled mess; she has a rag tied around her right forearm, and a pronounced limp.

Buffy, grumpily complaining, with a hint of whine

BUFFY

That's it, no more security officer Buffy. Last one bit me when I tried to stop him from taking baseball bat to soda machine. We need a better idea than them beating on me instead of inanimate objects; it hurts me less. Giles, are you listening? Giles!

Giles is immersed in his laptop and Willow is lost in her found phone, courtesy of the streaker. Buffy shakes him and he lifts his head and stares at her blankly.

Buffy, pronouncing the words slowly and distinctly

BUFFY

Barbarians at the gate.

Giles, unfocused, mumbling dazedly

GILES

Library of Alexandria …

Buffy, messing with Giles, lightly

BUFFY

There was a party one night and they trashed the place.

Giles, petulantly

GILES

I can bring it back.

Buffy, indulging him, patronizing

BUFFY

You do that. Later; they are starting on Sunnydale High.

GILES

Who is?

BUFFY

The barbarians.

GILES

Did they get credits?

Buffy, pattern forming in her head, astutely observing the pieces click into place

BUFFY

You know, Babe Ruth kept about that when I Alcatrazed him in janitor's closet. Along with suggestions of creative things I could to myself and ways I could become one with his bat - intimately. Kids these days: violence and sexual imagery. I like it. Not the kids, because gross; the other stuff.

The laptop plays a melody and Giles scrutinizes the screen, leaning closer to it.

Giles, jumping up, excited

GILES

If I earn enough money with noble deeds, the lost knowledge will return.

Buffy, placing a restraining hand on his shoulder, with quiet strength

BUFFY

Where you going?

GILES

It is telling me to build a bonfire in the library.

Buffy, pushing him back into the chair, playing the adult, firmly

BUFFY

Fun and games is over. Sit down, fire marshal Bill.

In an eerie imitation of human Whack-A-Mole, Willow is next to pop up from her seat. Buffy is out of free hands to hold order, having both on Giles's shoulders. Thinking fast, she uses her leg to block Willow's escape, with a side kick.

Buffy, looking at Willow, meaningfully

BUFFY

What you doing, Will?

Willow, wringing her hands, desperate

WILLOW

They don't have any clothes! I have to get clothes!

BUFFY

Huh?

Willow, upset

WILLOW

The poor kitties, they are naked!

BUFFY

Okaaay. Explain.

Willow, proud of her accomplishments

WILLOW

I rescued them off the mean streets; bathed and shaved them; individually decorated each of the twenty eight rooms; got them personality-coded nametags, designed the water and food dishes …

BUFFY

STOP!

Pause.

Buffy, heavy on irony

BUFFY

Twenty eight customized cats? In the hour I was gone? You talents are clearly wasted on Sunnydale High.

Willow, allowing, adorably cute

WILLOW

They grow on you.

BUFFY

Sorry, you got fifty years to senile cat lady stage and you are not starting early on this Slayer's watch.

Confident her charges are not going to make a break for it, Buffy retrieves her limbs. She snatches the phone from Willow and checks it. Frowning, she turns it off and places it on the desk, next to the laptop. Next, she inspects the computer.

Buffy, frustrated

BUFFY

Why is there nothing on those screens?

GILES

What do you mean? Wait, you don't see anything?

Buffy, counting the facts on her fingers, working the problem out loud

BUFFY

World Series, Library of Alexandria ….

Willow, supplying her contribution while her hand sneaks towards the confiscated cell

WILLOW

Miss Kitty Fantastico and family …

Buffy slaps Willow's hand away and the witch pouts.

Buffy & Giles, concluding together

BUFFY & GILES

Magic!

Giles opens a drawer and takes out two rings. The bands are iron, plain and worn with age. He puts one on and gives the second to Willow.

Giles, to Buffy, with authority, conclusively cutting off any discussion

GILES

Rings of Stheno and Euryale: make you not stone. Buffy, you are immune.

Buffy, unhappy and not letting it go, pointedly

BUFFY

The vampiric hula hoop disagrees with you.

GILES

That was indirect magic, tiny tubes sinking into skin and draining blood.

Buffy, shuddering

BUFFY

Sucking is such sour suck.

Willow, energetically, cheering

WILLOW

Preach on, sister!

Pause.

Willow, quickly contributing to the solution under Giles's disapproving gaze, helpfully

WILLOW

Hmmm, computers. Think Warren is involved?

BUFFY

Worth checking.

GILES

No torturing the nerds; play extra nice with the socially challenged.

Willow, her mouth ahead of her brain, blurting suggestively

WILLOW

Hear that, Buffy? All the chocolate I can lick. Giles said so!

Giles, shaking his head, majorly disturbed

GILES

I so do not want to know the true meaning of that statement.

Buffy, sighing, melodramatically

BUFFY

I created a kissing monster.

Giles appears ready to faint and wipes at his forehead instead of his glasses.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH - HALLWAY - AFTERNOON

Few STUDENTS are about and those present sit propped or lean on the locker-lined walls, lost in their portable devices. Some of the garbage cans are smoldering, looking newly extinguished, but no one pulls the fire alarm.

Things get more lively and bizarre when three STUDENTS come around the corner, dragging a fire hose with difficulty. The reason for their lurching, stumbling progress quickly becomes apparent, with Snyder doing his level best to stop them. He is swiping at their legs with a straw broom, trying to get them to scatter without injuring them. Abandoning the futile motions and locking onto Buffy, he burns an expectant gaze into her.

Buffy, at one with martyrdom

BUFFY

This is so not going to be a highlight moment.

She charges the STUDENTS and the hose comes alive, hitting her square in the chest. Snyder immediately runs the other way, likely to cut off the flow. Buffy goes back too, landing on her butt.

The students advance, keeping the stream on Buffy. Battered by high pressure jet, she stubbornly gets to her feet and pushes forward.

The STUDENTS laugh at her but their fun does not last long. The water cuts off and the STUDENTS are left holding a hose and facing a Slayer.

Slowly, like a sun emerging from the cloud, an enormous, toothy smile grows on Buffy's face. It is a smile of a predator. The three STUDENTS scream in mortal fear.

CUT:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH - HALLWAY - AFTERNOON

It is hard to tell where one body ends and another begins. Where there were three distinct STUDENTS and a hose is now a compact, human ball next to it. At least they are alive, however worse for wear they end up.

Snyder arrives at that moment and upon spotting the living, modern art, does not appear to be pleased.

Snyder, peeved

SNYDER

Heard of appropriate use of force?

Buffy, certain of high moral ground, sassy

BUFFY

They started it.

Buffy holds her head high as she walks away.

Left on his own, Snyder gets behind the human bundle; he slowly begins to roll the living sphere, passing the sign saying NURSE with an arrow pointing the direction.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH - COMPUTER LAB – AFTERNOON

The door slams open and soaking wet Buffy marches right in. The busy clicking of the keyboards halts. STUDENTS, of both genders - though predominantly male and tipping the geek scale heavily in general - face her.

Buffy, growling, threateningly

BUFFY

If your name is not Warren, leave.

The stampede surges around her and out in seconds. It also brings the attention of a TEACHER from adjacent office; she walks right up to Buffy and smiles, completely unintimidated.

Jenny, joking

JENNY

Jenny Calendar and you are the infamous Buffy Summers. Aren't you allergic to learning and public peace?

BUFFY

Just short, ugly trolls named Snyder.

Jenny, grinning

JENNY

Funny, me too. What brings you to the silicone castle?

BUFFY

Creepy Warren.

Jenny, seriously

JENNY

Slayer business?

BUFFY

… How?

Jenny, simply

JENNY

Gypsy, Kalderash Clan. You reek of demon.

Buffy, snippy, looking down at her feet

BUFFY

I deeply resent that. I'm sparkly clean, mint fresh, and the proof is in the puddle.

Jenny, following Buffy's downcast eyes, neutrally

JENNY

Yes, you are.

Pause.

Jenny, steering Buffy towards her office, concerned, lacing it with humor

JENNY

Step into my office for a change of clothes before you electrocute yourself. Smoking corpses are not good for my permanent employment record. And you can never get the smell out.

Buffy rolls her eyes but keeps well away from computers as they walk past the individual stations.

Buffy, worried

BUFFY

This place feels … tingly. Either that or I am about to dance the funky chicken.

Jenny, matter of fact

JENNY

Magic wards. They keep evil out.

BUFFY

Cool, because me: totally not evil.

Jenny, unable to resist, devilish

JENNY

Tingly …

BUFFY

Hey!

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH - COMPUTER LAB – AFTERNOON

Buffy, changed into ill-fitting but dry clothes, her hair damp, is standing behind Jenny. The teacher is seated at Warren's usual computer, searching for hints or traces of involvement in the chaos outside.

Jenny, troubled

JENNY

There is protection on the room and individual PCs.

BUFFY

Removed?

JENNY

Worse: replaced with a very high quality fake. If I did not cast the original, I wouldn't be able to tell.

BUFFY

Major badness?

JENNY

Warren is in over his head.

Abruptly, Buffy tilts her head, listening. The silence stretches and Jenny looks at Buffy inquisitively. Buffy puts a finger to her own lips and continues to extend her senses. Finally, she gestures at the closet with her head; Jenny nods understanding.

Buffy tiptoes to the door and grasps the handle. Mr. Pointy makes an appearance in the other one.

Jenny moves behind her, a little black spell book appearing in her hand, the other clutching a triangular crystal. Her lips move without sound.

Buffy throws the door wide open and her jaw drops.

Buffy, wide eyed, wonder and fear fighting for first place

BUFFY

Holy tentacles, Batman!

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH - COMPUTER LAB – AFTERNOON

Buffy, Willow, Giles, and Jenny gape at the spectacle in front of them.

Warren is the fly in the wiry web of hundreds, connecting him to the machines. However, a significant portion of the feelers are not attached and they dance in a forest stretching outwards. It is a highly effective defense – no sane person is going to stick their arm in there. No such allowances are made by the impatient, action-first Slayer.

Opting for instant results, Buffy makes the first move. She tentatively reaches out, testing the wires. They lash out and lacerate her hand and forearm.

Undeterred, Buffy grabs one and rips it out. The free end instantly doubles back on itself and wraps around her wrist, slicing thru and drawing blood. Before it can do more damage, is goes slack and inert. Buffy easily removes it and holds it up for inspection; it is dead. She even shakes it to make sure.

The Slayer backs out and offers it to Giles, who takes it.

BUFFY

To the research!

Willow has other plans and she captures Buffy and takes her to over to a nearby chair. She sets the med kit she was holding and starts treatment on the injuries. When Buffy hisses in pain, Willow produces large Snickers to distract her. After a few bites Buffy stops eating; she reaches out and wipes the tears on Willow's face with the back of the hand holding the candy bar.

Giles, feebly

GILES

Willow is very motherly.

Jenny, cynically

JENNY

And I sleep with mine too.

Giles finds the wire fascinating to the exclusion of the entire world. Jenny closes the closet; she then takes the Watcher by the arm, winks at Buffy, and departs with him in tow.

Willow begins cleaning the cuts with distilled water, the very picture of concentration.

Stained water steadily drips on the floor as the witch carefully and systematically washes each slash. The only other sound is Buffy chewing.

BUFFY

What's wrong, Willow?

Willow, sniffling

WILLOW

I don't like seeing you hurt.

Buffy, warmly

BUFFY

Thank you.

Buffy takes the last piece of Snickers and feeds it to Willow.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY – NIGHT

Buffy and Jenny are going thru ancient manuscripts; Willow and Giles are on laptops, doing the same on digital copies.

Xander enters with a plastic bag bearing Express Pump logo and sets it down on table. He starts taking out extra-large coffee cups, sandwiches, and donuts.

Xander, conversationally

XANDER

In case anyone is interested, Sunnydale Thunderdome is now open. In other news, no sign of police; if you want to settle old scores or start new ones, feel free to join the Wild West show outside.

Buffy, lifting her heavily bandaged hand and wrist, sadly

BUFFY

Count me out.

Xander, falsely solicitous

XANDER

It's the right one too; you going to need help changing and showering tonight. I am available.

Buffy, smiling

BUFFY

Going to fight Willow for it? Two women enter, only one leaves.

XANDER

On second thought, I want to live – preferably, scar free.

BUFFY

Smart girl.

Willow keeps her nose in the screen the entire exchange but you can tell she is following it closely by the slight shift in her position and the tilt of her head. Buffy is about to call the witch on it when

Jenny, shouting

JENNY

Got it!

Everyone turns to her. Jenny reads a little more and then lifts the book up, open to an illustration opposite a page of Old Latin text. The faded drawing shows a red rock with black wires sprouting from it.

JENNY

Katharos - it's a demon universal controller, linked to their kind. There are machines in ours and other dimension and they need a way to interface with them.

Blank stares greet her words.

Jenny, demonstrating with her hand, adding

JENNY

Claws and stubby fingers.

Verbal and nonverbal acknowledgements follow.

GILES

I will call Angel.

Buffy gives him a grateful look; Willow looks disappointed.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH - COMPUTER LAB – NIGHT

Willow ties the bandage off and steps back. Buffy and Angel now sport matching decoration on their right hand.

Giles, hazarding a hypothesis, unsure

GILES

Type of mixed?

BUFFY

Mouse?

WILLOW

One.

Before anyone can stop her, Willow walks into the closet and boldly reaches for the stone at the center of the deadly, living field of stringed metal.

Amazingly, the living wire withdraws and moves aside. Her action is unexpected and the results more so. Hesitant to push further and fast losing courage, Willow stops reaching and looks back for answers.

Buffy, harboring no such doubts, encouragingly

BUFFY

Go for it!

Willow does. The moment her fingers graze the stone, all the feelers, including the engaged ones, pull back. They swiftly submerge under the surface of the stone, leaving it smooth and unblemished. Then, before Willow can pick it up, the flesh under and around it ripples and it sinks into the body.

The skin solidifies and Warren wobbles. Willow clears the closet in a hurry and Giles is there to help Warren out and lay him out on the floor.

Buffy, smartly

BUFFY

FYI, I am not playing doctor.

Xander, too clever by half, smart-ass

XANDER

You are with Willow.

Buffy & Willow, without harshness, exasperated

BUFFY & WILLOW

Xander, shut up.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH - COMPUTER LAB – NIGHT

Jenny holds five tiny slivers of crystal in her palm over Warren's bare chest and subtly chants in Romani, reading from her spell book. The volume is too low to hear except for occasional, muddled word. Warren appears the same, except his shoes and socks are off and set to the side. His position is a combination of ones in Vitruvian Man.

The quintet starts glowing, building in intensity, until the five pieces look red hot. On signal from Jenny, Giles hovering nearby, lifts Warrens right hand, palm up.

Jenny, picking up one of the slivers and pressing it into the palm, commanding

JENNY

Pand!

The entire fragment is driven inside the flesh, leaving no mark for its passage, only a diffused light under the skin.

Giles sets the Warren's arm down and picks his left foot.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH - COMPUTER LAB – NIGHT

Giles backs off and faces Jenny across Warren's sprawled body. Five points of red light are visible: two each on palm and sole; one on forehead.

Jenny holds forth a highly-polished, cut crystal. There are five imperfections on the surface and likely the source of the slivers. The color matches the fragments'.

Jenny, strongly

JENNY

Pand!

A pentagram drawn in crimson appears on the floor under Warren, its points corresponding to location of the slivers. There is a bright pulse and then nothing. The crystal and the buried pieces go dark.

Jenny, handing the crystal she was holding to Giles, friendly

JENNY

Jenny Calendar, chovihani.

GILES

Rupert Giles, Watcher.

Jenny, invitingly

JENNY

Coffee?

GILES

Tea.

JENNY

I can work with that. Let me get my coat and purse.

Jenny walks off in the direction of her office.

Giles, crouching and slapping Warren awake, gravely

GILES

Repeat after me: demons are bad; we don't make deals with demons.

WARREN

<BLEEP> you, old man.

Giles punches Warren in the throat. While he is distracted, the Watcher takes Warren's left hand in his two and breaks his pinkie.

GILES

Slower this time, allowing for youth and stupidity. One, demons bad …

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT THREE

 

 

 

ACT FOUR

FADE IN:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – SUNNYDALE HIGH - NIGHT

Buffy and Angel walk side by side, with Willow trailing close behind them, looking every part the third wheel. The two up front relax, not sensing any danger. The madness of Fantasy appears over.

Sharing a look, the Slayer and vampire increase the distance between them and slow down. Buffy reaches back and takes one of Willow's hands and Angel takes the remaining left. They bring the witch in line with them. Thus joined, the three continue together.

Willow, murmuring, somewhat apologetically as she adjusts her grip on vampire

WILLOW

Sorry, cold hand.

Buffy brings her right hand over and rubs the top of Willow's. It has the desired effect.

Willow, blushing, abashedly

WILLOW

Hot, definitely hot.

ANGEL

Things have a way of working out.

Pause.

Angel, to Willow, softly

 

Why you? With katharos, I mean.

Willow, evasively

WILLOW

Hunch.

This evidently satisfies both Angel and Buffy and they continue companionably, hand in hand in hand.

Buffy, throwing it out, blithely

BUFFY

Celebrate at the Bronze?

Two voices answer her question at the same time.

WILLOW

Yes.

ANGEL

Sure.

Buffy, innocently

BUFFY

Threesome then?

Willow, mortified

WILLOW

BUFFY!

ANGEL

And here she looks so pure.

Trapped between and by them, Willow puts her head down and wishes to disappear.

CUT TO:

INT. BRONZE – DANCE FLOOR - NIGHT

Buffy dances with Angel, Willow separating them. The two teens are having great time; Willow appears quite inebriated. Angel sort of is there, kind of swaying to the music.

CUT TO:

Buffy and Xander sit at the table, covered in empty glasses. They are looking at the dance floor, where Willow dances with Angel.

Xander, turning to Buffy, puckishly

XANDER

Abandoning girlfriend to a vampire; that's two demerits.

BUFFY

Buzzed Willow is grabby Willow.

XANDER

She's not groping Angel.

BUFFY

Tell that to her fingerprints on my ass.

Xander, starting to get up, happy

XANDER

I feel the need to grove. I feel lucky.

BUFFY

You touch, you die. Best friend is off-limits.

Xander, dropping back into the chair, pretending to be in pain

XANDER

Cramp, cramp!

Willow appears, throwing her arms around Buffy's neck from behind. Her face is shiny and flushed, strands of hair plastered to it. Angel is nowhere to be seen.

Willow, giggling

WILLOW

Found you! Caught you! Eat you!

Xander takes out a phone and snaps a few pictures Buffy and Willow, one stoic and bearing it with an indulgent smile, the other mugging for the camera.

Xander, putting away the phone, to Buffy, sarcastically

XANDER

You say: don't do anything I would not do. I believe you, I truly do. The paragon of virtue that is Buffy shines down on us all.

Buffy glowers at him.

Angel appears with bottled water in each hand and breaks the rising tension. He delicately pries Willow off Buffy and moves her to the adjacent seat. Opening one of the bottles, he hands it to the witch. She drinks obediently.

Angel, to Buffy

ANGEL

Make sure she drinks one tonight and the other in the morning.

Pause.

ANGEL

I had a good time.

Buffy, smitten

BUFFY

Me too.

Angel kisses Willow on the cheek and Buffy does the same, sharing a kiss by proxy. With a small smile, he departs. Willow lifts a hand and touches the place where the Slayer's lips were; it does not go unnoticed by Buffy and Xander.

When Angel gets to the back exit, he turns and looks at Buffy. They stare for a while, lost in each other's eyes.

The moment is broken when a new band comes on to the loud cheers of crowd. It's Dingoes Ate My Baby. Angel is thru the door and gone in a blink.

Xander, to self, worried

XANDER

Forecast: trouble.

CUT TO:

INT. WILLOW'S HOUSE - BEDROOM - NIGHT

Buffy assists her friend to the bed and Willow more falls than sits on it. Buffy twists open the second bottled water and hands it to her. The witch drinks a little and puts it on the floor by her feet. The Slayer stands over Willow, watching her.

Willow, holding her head, dizzy and nauseous, groaning

WILLOW

Where is the line, Buffy?

Buffy, joining Willow on the bed, heavily

BUFFY

I don't know.

Willow, tearing up, depressed

WILLOW

I think you should go home. I don't think we should be in the same bed together again. Witchcraft, PDAs, girlfriend, drinking, dancing, talking back, kissing – that's not me. I should be one with research and studying, here with the books and surfing WAO.

BUFFY

Alone?

Willow, her voice breaking up, starting to cry harder

WILLOW

It's simpler. It's … easier. Go.

BUFFY

Okay, that's should. What does Willow want?

WILLOW

What she can't have. Go.

BUFFY

Willow …

Willow, sobbing, heartbroken

WILLOW

It's over. Go.

Without a word Buffy gets up and walks to the window. She looks back one final time, but Willow refuses to meet her eyes. Lifting the window open, Buffy steps outside.

Willow rises from her perch on the bed and makes for the trash can. Kneeling before it, she empties her stomach, crying and puking her guts out.

Suddenly, Buffy is by her side, one hand holding Willow's hair and the other rubbing her stomach. The witch finishes retching and weakly sags into the Slayer.

Willow, tired

WILLOW

Why?

In answer, Buffy hugs her, continuing to soothe the unsettled belly.

Willow, whispering hoarsely

WILLOW

Let me go.

Buffy pulls Willow closer to her body.

Willow, struggling but not very convincingly, louder

WILLOW

Let me go!

Buffy does not and the witch stops fighting after a token resistance.

Willow turns in Buffy's arm and clutches to her tightly, burying her head.

Willow, muffled

WILLOW

Damn it, why won't you let me go?

Buffy, stroking Willow's hair, misty eyed, honestly

BUFFY

Old Willow was should and you are not her. You are my best friend.

CUT TO:

INT. WILLOW'S HOUSE - BEDROOM – NIGHT

Willow is picking thru the pajama drawer and Buffy stands next to her.

Willow, tensely

WILLOW

On the positive side: not an angry drunk.

BUFFY

I corrupted Xander early; you were a matter of time.

Buffy, sensing stalling tactics, places both hands on Willow's upper arms and starts guiding her towards the bathroom.

BUFFY

Come on, let get us presentable for bed.

Willow, grabbing two pairs of PJs at random and offering for inspection

WILLOW

Wait! How do you feel about pear PJs?

Buffy, relentless in her mission, gets them to the bathroom door without further delay.

BUFFY

Life on the razor's edge of fashion; I love it.

WILLOW

Goof.

Buffy opens the door and steers Willow inside. She turns the witch around, with her clutching two PJs to her chest, in a manner of shield.

Buffy, preempting objections, making puppy eyes as she raises her bandaged hand

BUFFY

Please?

Willow reluctantly signals yes and Buffy uses her foot to shut the door close.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – SACRED GROVE/WITCHES COVEN – AFTERNOON

Buffy and Willow, arriving hand in hand, walk up to find Giles, Jenny, Xander, and Amy waiting for them.

Giles, to Willow and Buffy, raising a hand to forestall objections or questions, in control

GILES

Jenny bound the katharos inside Warren and we had a lively chat about “just say no to demons”. Xander buried the bones and Reverend Asher blessed them; the dead are at peace. Jenny and I are taking over your and Amy's witch education.

Pause.

GILES

And Willow, do we need to have a talk about underage drinking on Hellmouth?

Buffy has the good sense to look ashamed.

Willow, squeaking

WILLOW

Scared sober for life.

GILES

Stay that way.

Xander, wiggling his fingers, silly

XANDER

Or the finger man will get you.

BUFFY

Xander, stating the obvious does not make it funny except when the subject is you.

XANDER

Your face.

Amy, cutting in, bored

AMY

Does the boy loser have to be here? His only power is annoyance.

GILES

Children!

Pause.

Giles, to Willow

GILES

What did Mouse teach you so far?

WILLOW

Old Latin and meditation.

Jenny, looking around nervously

JENNY

Let's take this inside; Sunnydale has eyes.

Murmuring agreement, the group starts to file into the grove; Xander is the last one.

Xander, joking

XANDER

What, no brooms?

Xander is ignored and left standing alone; he hurries up and runs inside after the rest.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Annex

Return to the Author's Page