Star Trek: NS Enterprise

“One”

Episode 2

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

Star Trek is copyright Paramount Pictures and Viacom. All original content of Star Trek: UNS Enterprise is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission.  All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – DINING HALL – EARLY MORNING

Satuk is talking to herself as she works on her tablets, muttering low under her breath; only she can hear the words. To others the murmurs are unintelligible. She is seated at a small table, in the corner of the large dining area. Plate of scrambled eggs and a slice of toast are being picked on.

Surrounded by cameras, Estela stands short distance away, talking to a few PEOPLE at a nearby table. She says something and laughter follows. She then leaves and comes over to Satuk, her film crew trailing close behind.

Estela gets no reaction to her arrival. Unfazed, she drops in the only available seat.

Estela, smiling

ESTELA

Morning, sunshine.

Satuk, not looking up, coolly

SATUK

Do you like the sound of your voice? I sure do love the sound of mine. Love it so much I wish it was the only one I was hearing right now.

ESTELA

Part of your contract stipulates interviews.

Satuk, hostile

SATUK

Listen internet lips: either take your fake, annoying <BLEEP> of a chatterbox somewhere far downwind or promptly schedule emergency surgery to remove my fist shoved down your <BLEEP> throat.

ESTELA

Didn't know you were into that sort of thing. Kinky.

Satuk's hands clench and Estela takes the hint.

Estela, standing up in a hurry, putting both hands up and backing away

ESTELA

Just kidding; leaving now.

Satuk finally glances at Estela and the look is not friendly.

SATUK

Talk show is not the only thing you are famous for.

Pause.

Satuk, enjoying the discomfort, purring

SATUK

Thought I would not find out? Step carefully, little host with a big mouth. I might decide to showcase its other uses; to the entire crew and the world.

Estela, recovering quickly, disdainfully

ESTELA

Nice low blow; had to go there.

SATUK

Unlike you, I care not what others think. Remember that.

Estela walks away a small distance and faces the camera. Behind her, Satuk has already returned to her earlier pursuits and is busy concentrating on her work again.

Estela, calmly

ESTELA

Satuk, the charming and mild-mannered science officer adds to her growing legend. Will this be the hour she goes off the rails? We can only hope; stay tuned.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – DINING HALL – EARLY MORNING

Estela has moved to the breakfast line. She picks up a plate and is joined by Brian.

Brian, playfully

BRIAN

Estela, don't feed the wild animals.

ESTELA

Morning. Aren't you on duty?

BRIAN

You are as radiant as ever. Got the shift covered; join me for breakfast?

ESTELA

Nothing is that simple with you.

BRIAN

I offer a meal and a conversation.

ESTELA

That's not the only thing you are offering.

BRIAN

The rumors exaggerate.

ESTELA

The cameras don't lie.

BRIAN

Officers can disable theirs.

Estela, sarcastically

ESTELA

Aren't we special.

BRAIN

Wait till ..

Suddenly, the device that is attached to the wrist of the security officer goes off. A voice comes from it and it does not sound pleased.

Jenson, irritated

JENSON

Jenson here. Why are you not at your station and why am I dealing with some clueless ensign before I had my coffee?

BRIAN

Moving, captain.

JENSON

Unless you are about to come through the bridge door, warp speed is highly advised. Oh, and grab me a large cup before you leave the mess hall.

Brian, surprised

BRIAN

What?!

JENSON

Na activated your communicator remotely; romance on your time off Romeo.

Estela, laughing

ESTELA

Busted.

Brian, not deterred, bowing with a flourish

BRIAN

Duty calls, my fair lady; we simply must continue this later.

Estela, amused

ESTELA

Looking forward to it; can't see what lines you try next.

Na, unable to resist, joins the fun

NA

Face it Brian, personality change is your only hope. And a new identity.

Jenson, impatiently

JENSON

Commander, I can hear you not moving.

BRIAN

Captain, you are a heartless man.

JENSON

I been told.

NA

Repeatedly. And worse.

JENSON

Chief, don't you have status reports do?

NA

This is more interesting.

JENSON

Why is my life this difficult before coffee? It's not right.

BRIAN

Captain? Sir, this conversation is two way.

JENSON

You know, it is not a good idea to keep reminding me of your existence right now.

ESTELA

This is like watching a wreck unfolding. Fascinating.

Brian, shaking his head

BRIAN

Definitely not my day.

JENSON

Second that.

Na, enthusiastically

NA

I am loving it. The humiliation is coming loud and clear.

ESTELA

You can almost feel the heat from crash and burn.

BRIAN

Someone shoot me.

Another voice joins them.

PATHEL

I volunteer.

NA

Ha ha … wait, Vulcans don't have a sense of humor.

PATHEL

Never shot a human, always open to new experience.

NA

Funny but disturbing.

Estela, wonderingly

ESTELA

Is it always this crazy?

Na, giggling

NA

Wait till Pathel quotes love poetry and Brian sings.

Pathel, in monotone, droning on

PATHEL

Vulcan love poetry is a meditation device, the rhythmic chanting bringing the pairing into harmony of mind before the act of coupling. It varies from minutes to hours, depending …

Brian, shuddering, interrupting Pathel

BRIAN

Dear God, stop before we are censored.

JENSON

Why am I still hearing this? Chief!

Na, making a squeaking sound

NA

Hee. Off the air in three, two …

Jenson, threateningly, drawing out her name

JENSON

Naaaa.

NA

One.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – BRIDGE – MORNING

Everyone is at their stations, watching the displays. Jenson, Pathel, and Na are gathered around the interactive holograph projector. Jenson is reading reports on his tablet and so is Pathel. Na is busy fiddling with the controls.

The bridge door opens and Brian enters, carrying two cups of coffee. He heads to the captain and hands him one, receiving an appreciative nod in return. An ENSIGN abandons the security panel and slinks away, trying to remain invisible. He does not succeed, as Pathel fixes him with a gaze, letting the ENSIGN know he is on her bad side now. Her eyes follow the ENSIGN out, burning into his hunched back.

JENSON

Now that's intimidation, number one.

PATHEL

His second infraction in as many days. One more and I will feed him to Satuk.

JENSON

That's right-down plain cruel.

PATHEL

Discipline and integrity defines an officer.

JENSON

Not if he is not alive at the end of the lesson.

Na, observationally

NA

His problem is not character, it is his mentor.

PATHEL

Got room for one more in engineering?

Na, shrugging

NA

What's another body? Half the <BLEEP> ship is already in my department. Not by choice, mind you. Whole UNS Enterprise is one giant “under construction” sign. The question is not what can go wrong, the question is when.

The ship shudders violently and alarms go off. Drowning them is a long, continuous siren and that can only mean one thing.

Jenson, deeply troubled

JENSON

Fire! <BEEP> chief, you cursed us. Location?

Na, checking rapidly, growing very concerned

NA

Mess hall.

Pause.

Na, turning white and trembling

NA

They are serving breakfast. Satuk …

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – BRIEFING ROOM – MORNING

Situated next to the bridge, the briefing room contains a long table with displays embedded into it. It is surrounded by chairs, most now occupied. Jenson is at the head of the table, joined by Pathel, Na, Jaci, Misha, Halil, and Chepi.

JENSON

Sitrep, number one?

PATHEL

An explosion centered in the kitchen damaged the adjacent spaces. Emergency power only, no communications, and the extent of injuries and loss of critical systems is unknown. Diagnostics are not available until we have eyes and hands checking equipment. Certain sections are completely closed off. Suggestions?

Halil, reluctantly, watching for reaction

HALIL

The TV network has a separate surveillance system, hardened as it happens. I … I have access.

JENSON

You have good reason for hacking it?

HALIL

Captain, consider it plan B.

Jenson, praising but scolding at once to keep up appearances

JENSON

Good job; don't do it again. Bring it up.

Halil works his tablet and shortly an image of a hallway appears, floating above the table. He taps a few more instructions and the picture changes.

Halil, somberly

HALIL

Kitchens.

There is no output, signifying either the destruction or malfunction of equipment. Then the video shifts to the dining area and there are gasps around the table. The cameras show twisted, charred metal and wreckage. There is nothing recognizable; everything is a scorched mess. Hope sinks rapidly for survivors as the destruction cycles in front of them when abruptly and miraculously enough, there is a small group of them, just outside the mess hall. Two are on the ground, obviously wounded, though their condition and seriousness of injury cannot be determined. One is Estela and the other a MAN. Science officer Satuk and a SECURITY REDSHIRT are attending them. All four are wearing breathing masks and a pile of replacement filters sits on the ground nearby.

Surprising everyone, Na shoves people aside and leans in close to the monitor. She starts counting the filters and making quick notes on her tablet. The grainy and flickering image does not make it easy.

Na, straining to see the details, her face inches from the image

NA

Can you zoom in?

HALIL

Sorry, controls and sound are out. You are lucky to get video, chief.

NA

Figures.

Everyone waits patiently for Na to finish her task and explain the significance, though some guesses are forming already. She finishes her count and makes quick calculations.

Na, grimly

NA

Fire suppression system worked as designed. Unfortunately, the air is toxic in there and the masks are the only thing keeping them alive. We have to cut the reinforced bulkhead doors that are sealed shut with detonating bolts. Thank the lawyers and idiot proofing for that gem. Best scenario, five hours to rescue; worst case, eight to ten. That is not the problem, captain.

JENSON

More bad news?

Na, pointing at the screen, sadly

NA

There are only enough filters there to keep one person alive that long. Maybe.

JENSON

Lay it straight.

Na, uncomfortable

NA

Satuk is …

Pause.

Na, unable to meet his eyes, changing subject

NA

… If they share them, they will suffocate long before my rescue crews are anywhere near them.

Jenson, gently

JENSON

There is more. What are you not telling me, chief?

Na, evasively, lying

NA

Nothing, captain. Do we tell them? They deserve to know.

The implications of the decision hit the officers and an oppressive silence falls.

Jenson, breaking the quiet, decisively

JENSON

Do it.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – BRIEFING ROOM – MID MORNING

There are quite a few background voices as various officers are working on tablets or quietly communicating with their departments. Jaci is the only one missing, returning to sick bay when the first patients started to arrive.

Everyone falls silent and focuses on Na when she signals them to hush. A smaller screen pops up with Heng on it.

Na, sweetly

NA

Heng dear, are you in position?

HENG

Anytime, anyplace you want, sugar.

NA

We are on open channel, honey.

Heng, disconcerted, corrects himself

HENG

Oops. Yes chief, the maintenance robot is in the ventilation duct near their location.

Na, working her tablet, and touching it a final time

NA

Have it tap the message I just sent you; repeat three times. Love you.

Heng, warmly

HENG

Love you too.

Na, ending the call and turning to Jenson

NA

I am sorry, captain …

Jenson, interrupting, firmly

JENSON

Nonsense, I am happy for you. All I have of Evie are memories. Enjoy it while you have it.

NA

Thank you. We should know shortly.

The officers watch the image with the four survivors intently. They do not have to wait long.

On the display above the table, four masked faces turn in the same direction as if on command. Satuk and the SECURITY REDSHIRT get up and walk off, presumably towards the source of the sound. Halil punches a few commands and switches cameras frequently to track their progress.

Satuk and the SECURITY REDSHIRT stop and stand in place for a moment. What happens next is a blur, made more difficult to see by the poor quality of the picture.

On the screen, Satuk punches the SECURITY REDSHIRT in the throat and rips his mask off. She smashes his head into the closest wall repeatedly, leaving a dark stain on the surface. When she releases the SECURITY REDSHIRT, his body collapses to the floor lifelessly. She picks up his mask and heads back to the wounded.

JENSON

Stop the feed.

Halil does not hear him, automatically following Satuk's movements. Na lunges for a trash can in the corner and throws up in it. Her retching is the only sound in the room.

On the display Satuk walks right up to Estela and crouching down, tears her mask off. Estela starts choking and her hands start clawing at her throat in futile attempt to remove the source of the pain. The injured MAN tries to crawl away but Satuk is relentless. She stands up, closes the distance, and kicks him in the ribs.

Jenson, roaring

JENSON

Halil, turn the <BLEEP> thing off!

Halil snaps out of his trance and the picture goes blank.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – SICK BAY/SECURE ROOM – NIGHT

Satuk rests in bed, in full restraints. Various monitors watch her status and a SECURITY REDSHIRT stands guard by the door. There is a knock and the SECURITY REDSHIRT gets up to answer it. Pathel stands on the other side.

Pathel, ordering

PATHEL

Wait outside.

SECURITY REDSHIRT

Yes, madam.

SECURITY REDSHIRT leaves the room, closing the door behind him.

Satuk is awake but she does not say anything. Pathel sets an unknown device on the table near the head of the bed. It emits a steady pulse of blue light. Satuk looks at it with great interest and some trepidation.

Pathel, reassuring

PATHEL

Privacy.

Pause.

PATHEL

I will teach you meditation and be your sparring partner in the gym. Captain will place you under house arrest when they release you from medical and this circumvents it, partially.

Satuk, suspiciously

SATUK

What's your angle?

PATHEL

Unlike the others, I see unlimited potential in you. Obviously, as first officer you are my responsibility but this goes beyond that. We already have a working relationship.

Satuk, dismissively

SATUK

More like stalemate. I still have not paid you for that fat lip and I look forward to it.

Pathel, placing her hand over Satuk's right one

PATHEL

You are wrong. I am the first and only person to visit you here. I care; you are my friend.

Satuk, clearly shaken by the unexpected contact, risks and asks

SATUK

That's all?

Pathel, looking her in the eyes, still not showing a trace of emotion

PATHEL

I can be more.

Satuk, looking away but not withdrawing her hand

SATUK

They call you Stone.

PATHEL

It's a mask; it comes off.

SATUK

Vulcan's don't have emotions.

PATHEL

Vulcan's chose not to have emotions; I can be very emotional.

Satuk, having regained her courage, faces Pathel squarely

SATUK

Why me?

PATHEL

As you humans say: beauty and brains, the whole package.

Satuk, pointedly

SATUK

That is not a phrase used between friends.

Pathel, nonplussed

PATHEL

Then you agree?

Satuk, brings her other hand over and places it over Satuk's

SATUK

Sure, more-than-friend. Stay.

PATHEL

I won't leave you, Satuk.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – CAPTAIN'S QUARTERS – NIGHT

There is a chime from the door, followed by a voice.

NA

Captain, we need to talk.

Jenson, who is not asleep and instead working at his desk, stretches in place.

JENSON

Come in.

Pause.

Jenson, as Na walks in, addressing the room

JENSON

Privacy mode.

COMPUTER VOICE

Voice authorization confirmed. All recording off.

Na comes over and takes a seat across from him.

Na, timidly

NA

I have a confession.

JENSON

What were you going to say back in the briefing room?

Na, grimacing

NA

That obvious?

Jenson, making a statement, evenly

JENSON

You care for her greatly.

NA

Yes.

Pause. Na, guiltily

NA

I was almost certain she was the only one who understood Morse code of the four left alive. That is not the worst part.

JENSON

You knew for sure, without an iota of doubt, what she was going to do with that knowledge?

Na, admitting, dropping the word like a stone, heavily

NA

Yes.

Jenson, immediately

JENSON

I did too.

Na, shocked

NA

Then you …?

Jenson, strongly

JENSON

We are on TV; I can't well order Satuk to kill three people with the whole world watching. You did the right thing by your friend and I did what was best for this ship. This does not leave this room.

Na, looking down at her lap and wrangling her hands, uncomfortable

NA

I understand.

Pause.

Na, anguished, eventually looks at him, tearfully

NA

We used Satuk.

Jenson, nodding

JENSON

And that is between us and our God of choice now.

Na, quietly

NA

Does it get easier?

Jenson, sorrow and regret in his voice

JENSON

No, but you learn to live with it. I'm truly sorry.

Na, whispering, more to herself

NA

So am I.

He stands up, signaling an end to the conversation.

Jenson, imploring, gruffly

JENSON

Go, be with Heng.

The both move at the same time, Na heading for the door and Jenson taking his favorite spot on the couch. He reaches for the comfort of the urn.

Na, halting before the door and turning to watch him, softly

NA

She was special, your Evie?

Jenson, far away, lost in memories

JENSON

She is.

Unbidden, tears fall from his eyes as he gazes at the expense of space, his fingers delicately brushing the cool, metal surface. He does not hear Na leave.

Jenson, tearfully

JENSON

Evie, I miss you.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Annex

Return to the Author's Page