Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Ties That Bind ”

Episode 17, Part 2

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

 

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS - CAMP – NIGHT

Xena watches the fire with Atrius. They are content to sit in silence and observe the sparks rocket joyfully into the air and glide to the ground as ash. The VILLAGE GIRLS are clustered close to the heat, slumbering in exhausted relief after another endless day of forward progress. Gabrielle sleeps on her back further out, halfway between the forest and the fire. Wearing Hephaestus' armor she appears completely at peace and far away, in dreamland. Xena knows better. Gabrielle is ready and able to fight in the time it takes average person to open their eyes. Xena's gaze lingers on the bard and a smile brightens her face; her guardian. Atrius catches Xena's look.

ATRIUS

She awake?

Xena, grinning

XENA

She is on watch.

ATRIUS

That kind of watch we are liable to end with our throats cut.

Xena selects a small branch and tosses it into the bush. Throwing knife flies instantly and hits unerringly in the exact spot the wood entered. Before Atrius' jaw drops, Gabrielle is already gone into the forest.

ATRIUS

You taught her well.

XENA

Those kinds of instincts take a lifetime of burnishing. Praxiteles, her adopted father, opened her eyes to the forest and passed on the art of survival. Among other things. This is her home, her domain. I made a bet once, that she could not sneak up on me. Figured my superior hearing and eyesight would give me the edge.

Atrius, smiling

ATRIUS

She got you.

XENA

She did. Early in our journey she mentioned she avoids trees. Turns out she is a great rock climber. Once she heard the Amazons are into trees, that was it. I caught her once by hearing her breathing in the silence of the barn. She learned from that and the rematch was in the woods. Sneaky bard jumped on my back from above and scared me out of my armor. I think my scream is still echoing in that forest.

ATRIUS

You avoid the open road?

XENA

Less now. She took me into her world and we were safe. Bounty hunters and revenge minded fools stay out of the deep green. Days passed in training and stories. Occasionally, we would venture out and fight for greater good. It was a simple life and one I miss.

ATRIUS

New tales arrived and I could scarcely believe my ears. Nobody did. Then Tracus was razed and the truth prevailed.

XENA

We now travel along the roads, under the cover of nature. Gabrielle ventures into the villages and does her bard and healer thing. She thinks I don't know about the second, but I do. After the incident with Ares, she has an escort. Silent and invisible escort or I will hear no end about it.

Stealthily, a form hangs down between them and Atrius, who is looking at Xena, finds himself staring at upside down Gabrielle flashing her whites at him. He makes a startled, surprised sound as Xena chortles and shakes her head. They are sitting under the branches of a lone oak and she should have expected that.

Gabrielle, sweetly

GABRIELLE

You care. My hero.

Xena, sternly

XENA

Down bard.

GABRIELLE

Woof.

Gabrielle disappears with a giggle and then with barely a sound drops behind them. She squeezes between them and puts each arm on their respective shoulders. She brings them together in a group hug.

Gabrielle, happily and warmly

GABRIELLE

Family.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS - CAMP – NIGHT

Xena awakes and checks the position of the stars and the moon. The night is half old and with a stretch she is up. She dons her armor and moves next to Gabrielle's bedroll.

Xena, whispering

XENA

Watch change.

Gabrielle sits up and Xena helps her undo the armor. Gabrielle goes back under the blanket and is out in seconds. No dozing this time, she is sleeping. Xena takes Gabrielle's steel armor with her and sets it near the fire to air out. She adds firewood and then moves among the VILLAGE GIRLS. She spots Rhea on the edge of the group and covers her mouth with one hand and shakes her shoulder with the other. When Rhea opens her eyes, heavy with sleep, Xena leans in and whispers in her ear.

XENA

Go to her.

Xena indicates Gabrielle with her head. Rhea needs no further encouragement; she crawls out quickly and heads for Gabrielle's bedroll. Only to drop like a log when Gabrielle explodes out of the blankets and takes her down in one blow. Gabrielle checks the unconscious girl, picks her up, and carries her back to where Xena is. She tucks her in as Xena watches impassively and then grabs Xena by the front of her armor.

Gabrielle, gravely

GABRIELLE

We are having words in the morning, warrior princess.

Xena remains silent as Gabrielle leaves her and returns to sleep. She nods to herself and heads for her side of the fire.

Xena, satisfied

XENA

I win.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS - FOREST – MID MORNING

Xena and Atrius are at their customary rear guard spot. They are deep in talk, catching up on years.

Atrius, curiously

ATRIUS

What happened to Rhea?

Xena, evenly

XENA

I sent Gabrielle a message.

ATRIUS

Was it worth it?

Xena, regretfully

XENA

No. I was happy for a few moments and then spent the rest of the night hurting. Took care of Rhea once she woke up but that did little to alleviate my guilt.

ATRIUS

Why did you do it?

Xena, ruefully

XENA

It was a win win. Turned into lose lose. Gabrielle deliberately knocked out Rhea. She told me this morning.

ATRIUS

She played you. I'm impressed.

XENA

She is not innocent, father. She manipulates people with words and actions.

ATRIUS

I gathered that. I was right, there is darkness there.

Xena, sharply

XENA

No, she is light. The target of Rhea was not Athena, it was me.

Atrius, protesting

ATRIUS

Xena, that's nonsense. You said …

Xena, softly

XENA

You don't know the bard. Behind every word and gesture is intent. I have problems with her … lifestyle. True, we have an arrangement but my feelings are causing friction. This was deliberate, a lesson.

ATRIUS

You going to get her back?

Xena goes pale and slows down.

Atrius, concerned

ATRIUS

What's wrong?

XENA

…

Atrius makes a decision.

Atrius, pledging

ATRIUS

Daughter, no secrets. All answers, painful or embarrassing they be, are yours. Speak.

Xena stops completely and starts shaking. Atrius comforts her.

Xena, tearfully admitting

XENA

Father, I hurt people physically, people close to me.

Atrius, gasping

ATRIUS

Gods!

XENA

Gabrielle's blood father was a monster. I continued the family tradition.

Atrius, feeling sick

ATRIUS

You didn't …

XENA

Yes. Not openly.

ATRIUS

I don't understand.

XENA

You hit Gabrielle and she draws blood. She is a terror with blades. Even I can't catch all those kids.

ATRIUS

Kids?

XENA

Knives. Long story.

ATRIUS

Then …

Xena, confessing

XENA

When we practice, I measure my strength. When I was angry, a lot at first, I didn't; came close to breaking bones few times. I took out my rage at the world on her and she said not a word. It is what she expected …

Atrius, uneasy

ATRIUS

Xena, did you tell her that?

Xena, firmly

XENA

No, some things are left unspoken.

ATRIUS

Then take this advice. If the day you can does not come, you will lose her forever.

XENA

I tell and I do.

ATRIUS

Daughter, you don't know her as well as you think. You should hear her speak of you. I did. Have faith.

They resume walking, lengthening their stride to catch up with the others. Long minutes pass in contemplative silence.

XENA

Your turn. Where are you at, father? In your life, I mean.

ATRIUS

Running out of time and opportunity. The age is slowing the sword arm that was not that great to begin with. The wits remain but the body has trouble keeping up with the schemes. Xena, this raid is not me. True, I was involved. The money was simply too good to pass. Come on, you know what happens to old fighters!

XENA

Younger fighter runs a blade thru them.

ATRIUS

Exactly. Look, I killed a farmer and might have wounded one or two. I lie, cheat and steal, with occasional assassination on the side. You know our world, we feed on each other. Warlords bring us the spoils of victory and we fight over them. Dice games are a gold mine and trouble.

XENA

Young ones don't like losing and pull swords?

ATRIUS

You have to pay protection or team up. With the first there are questions about your past. With the second, your partner as often as not will kill you.

XENA

Ah, the bond between thieves.

Atrius, bitterly

ATRIUS

Xena, I am alone and have been for over twenty years. Eating me is a regret that no amount of sustenance can quench. For the first ten years I told myself I will return one day. For the last half I was afraid to. You are going home, aren't you?

Xena, startled

XENA

What?!

Atrius, surprised

ATRIUS

Gabrielle implied that you knew. Home was her offer.

Xena, thoughtfully

XENA

I thought she was heading for Potidaea. When she sees a girl who reminds her of her daughter, she goes quiet for hours. It is really noticeable with her.

Atrius, distressed

ATRIUS

Xena, I am afraid to ask. How exactly did you damn her? Why would a woman leave her husband and child for you? I don't like where my mind is going with this.

Xena, quietly

XENA

It is worse than you imagine. I bonded our souls when we met.

ATRIUS

Huh?

XENA

Did she look at you? I mean really look; eyes locked and holding you prisoner.

ATRIUS

Yes, twice. The second time …

Xena, with deep sadness

XENA

That's her gift. Something went wrong in that clearing in Potidaea and I think I am responsible.

Atrius, understanding

ATRIUS

Your sins …

Xena, correcting

XENA

Our sins …

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS - FOREST – MID MORNING

Gabrielle is on point, senses one with nature. She enjoys the time alone on the green island. Spending every waking minute with another person grates after a while. Any break in routine is welcome and that is the main reason she pushed for greater involvement in the world. Now, she is not sure. On one hand there is Athena … Gabrielle involuntarily smiles and a wash of feelings warms her to her core. She dances around the trees. Something is happening and she likes it. She sees and feels the same in Athena, even stronger. It is like her gift is working on the Goddess without it being used. Could she read Athena without the gift? Gabrielle thinks so and she hugs herself. Unable to wait, she signals Xena in the back and melts into the growth.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS - FOREST – MID MORNING

Xena watches Gabrielle's behavior when she is alone and nods approval when Gabrielle looks back and signals her. She and Atrius look at each other and smile.

ATRIUS

Young love?

Xena, sighing

XENA

First love.

Xena, catching the look and unspoken question

XENA

Always the bride. Her daughter is her sister Lila, whom she raised. Anastasia and Teresia caught her eye, but not her heart. Athena has it.

ATRIUS

Who had yours?

XENA

No one.

ATRIUS

I thought …

Xena, closing off discussion, curtly

XENA

Business.

Atrius, genuinely

ATRIUS

I'm sorry.

XENA

…

ATRIUS

Cyrene won mine in dice game.

Xena, smiling

XENA

This I have to hear.

ATRIUS

I was a young con artist on the prowl, taking the hapless peasants, craftsmen, and merchants for their drachmas. One day I set up in Amphipolis' inn and started lining up the suckers. Food was good and the serving wench was very fetching. Hair like midnight, eyes like fire and those legs …

Xena, reminding

XENA

You are talking about mother.

ATRIUS

Telling a story here.

XENA

Not to your friends, you are. I am your daughter.

Atrius, scoffing

ATRIUS

Sweet and innocent daughter. Right.

Xena, sighing

XENA

Go on.

ATRIUS

It was me and a growing pile of winnings. I found her name is Cyrene and tipped her generously so she remembered me well.

Atrius winks at Xena and she rolls her eyes.

ATRIUS

The drachmas are rolling, the dice are jumping, the mead is flowing, and Cyrene is mighty friendly with me. Then comes the shocker.

XENA

Not really. Her grandfather won the inn in dice game.

ATRIUS

Shh, my story. To restore the honor of the village, she puts the inn's earnings on the table. I rub my hands and jump right in.

Xena, grinning

XENA

Hook, line and sinker?

ATRIUS

The only thing I was rubbing when she was done was my bare butt. Took everything and put me in debt.

Xena can't stop laughing.

ATRIUS

Wait, this is the good part. She looks at me, right in the eye, and there are tears in mine, you mind. I am a broken man. Crushed. She smiles seductively and says it is time to pay off my debt.

Xena can guess what is coming and covers her eyes.

ATRIUS

Sweet Zeus, did that woman have stamina!

Xena, mortified

XENA

Father!

ATRIUS

Hey, a man has to pay his debts. Even us scoundrels have honor. Woke up in that same bed few years later with three children and a wife.

Xena, deeply embarrassed

XENA

Do me a favor and don't tell anyone else that story.

Atrius, innocently

ATRIUS

Gabrielle?

Xena, growling

XENA

Not if you want to see mother again.

Atrius, spontaneously and honestly

ATRIUS

I love Cyrene. Loved her from the very first second and will love her to the last one.

Xena, gently

XENA

You tell mother that, in person.

ATRIUS

When I accepted Gabrielle's offer, I don't think there was an escape clause. Truth is, I am more afraid of her than you.

XENA

Good. Mother has been alone too long. And we have to come up with a better first meet story.

Atrius, hopefully

ATRIUS

Kidnapped by bloodthirsty warlord and rescued by dashing rogue?

XENA

No.

ATRIUS

Kidnapped by bloodthirsty monster and rescued by dashing rogue?

XENA

No.

Atrius, eyes twinkling

ATRIUS

She bought a body slave from a passing trader?

XENA

Father!

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. LUCIA - ROAD – LATE AFTERNOON

Xena moves next to Atrius and they lead the VILLAGE GIRLS onto the road and head for the village visible in the distance. Gabrielle takes that moment to pop out of the tree line and run towards them, her powerful stride eating the distance. Xena watches in fascination, not hiding her interest. Atrius chuckles and falls back.

Gabrielle grins as she closes in and then with a yell launches into startled Xena. They both go tumbling into the dirt in a mix of limbs. Xena thinks that's the end of that only to find Gabrielle launching into a wrestling match right there and then. Owing to the surprise she quickly locks up Xena. Her shorter, stocky build is harder to defend for significantly stronger but lengthier Xena. Xena's long limbs make perfect targets for holds and Gabrielle has taken advantage once again. Xena decides to reverse, but Gabrielle goes with her motion and they roll several times, off the road and into the grass. Atrius and VILLAGE GIRLS follow the progress by the motion of stalks.

Gabrielle is laughing the whole time and sticking to Xena with tenacity of a tick. They come to rest in the same position they started.

Gabrielle, happily

GABRIELLE

I am a woman in love.

Xena, grumbling good naturedly

XENA

Bards in love are a public menace.

Gabrielle lets her go and sits up in a grass nearby. Xena sits up as well.

GABRIELLE

Say the word.

XENA

I don't mind. Do you?

GABRIELLE

Will I regret the answer?

XENA

Yes.

Gabrielle, grinning mischievously

GABRIELLE

Go wild.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

Well?

Xena, mysteriously

XENA

You will see.

GABRIELLE

Promises, promises.

Atrius finds them at this moment.

ATRIUS

Are you children done playing?

XENA & GABRIELLE

Yes father.

CUT TO:

EXT. LUCIA - VILLAGE – EARLY EVENING

Dusk gathers in the shadows and prepares to boldly venture into the open as Xena and Gabrielle enter the village. Torches are being lit and cries go out as the party moves in further. The VILLAGE GIRLS' group breaks apart and heads for the arms of their loved ones. Joyful reunions ring in the air. This is mixed with a different mood as Atrius is recognized. VILLAGE ELDER stops the three of them, heading a small group of male VILLAGERS who stare at Atrius with open hatred.

VILLAGE ELDER

This man is wanted for high crimes.

GABRIELLE

I am Gabrielle and this is Xena.

The mood changes instantly, thou the hard feelings toward Atrius stay in the eyes of villagers.

VILLAGE ELDER, respectfully

VILLAGE ELDER

Heroes blessed by Gods, you honor us with your presence.

GABRIELLE

Atrius is Xena's father. Just as she did penance for her crimes, so will he. So speaks Gabrielle, Athena's Champion.

The VILLAGERS, including the VILLAGE ELDER, drop on their knees around them, lowering their head in submission.

VILLAGE ELDER

The Gods speak and man listens. Your will, Champion.

VILLAGE ELDER raises his head.

VILLAGE ELDER

I humbly ask, on behalf of Locia: eat and drink in our inn and enjoy free room and board. You have my word, no one will harm Atrius. He is under your protection and any who raises a voice or hand, may he be struck down by Zeus.

VILLAGERS

Gods' will.

GABRIELLE

The rescued women carry the bandits' hoard. It belongs to Locia. Know this: the slavers who did this foul deed are no more.

Murmurs of surprise and gratitude surround them.

GABRIELLE

Rise and rejoin your families in this happy time.

The VILLAGERS stand up and bowing low, disperse to join the celebration. The looks are friendly toward them and indifferent toward Atrius. To have an actual Champion stay is a rare event.

VILLAGE ELDER, gratefully

VILLAGE ELDER

My granddaughter was among the taken. The inn is right in the square. With your leave I want those old eyes to behold her again.

Gabrielle nods and bowing, VILLAGE ELDER departs quickly.

XENA

After you, the high and mighty Champion.

ATRIUS

Lead us to the inn, Champion.

Gabrielle, pointedly

GABRIELLE

I have many knives.

ATRIUS

Xena started it. I claim innocence thru ignorance.

XENA

Way to support family, father.

Gabrielle, teasing

GABRIELLE

He loves me more.

Xena, innocently

XENA

Which of your daughters do you love the most?

ATRIUS

Ah no, not falling for that. Too old for the squabbling of children.

He covers his ears and takes off for the inn.

XENA & GABRIELLE

I win.

Laughter follows him as he makes good his escape.

CUT TO:

EXT. LOCIA – INN – EARLY EVENING

Xena and Atrius enter the inn as Gabrielle makes a head motion at rapidly approaching Rhea. Xena nods and gives her a small smile in support. Then the door closes and Gabrielle is alone. Rhea comes to a halt in front of her.

Rhea, in small voice

RHEA

Where do I stand?

GABRIELLE

Alone.

RHEA

I am sorry about last night.

Gabrielle, honestly

GABRIELLE

Last night was about Xena. I had full control when I attacked.

RHEA

Oh …

GABRIELLE

It was a test. She failed.

RHEA

You play games with people.

GABRIELLE

I dance with the fire that is Xena. You hear stories, I live with the darkness.

RHEA

You have burns?

GABRIELLE

Yes.

RHEA

I'm sorry.

GABRIELLE

She comes first.

RHEA

And your lover?

GABRIELLE

Rhea, that's the question I find increasingly difficult to answer.

RHEA

Tell me her name. It is her, isn't it?

GABRIELLE

Athena.

Before Rhea can answer and as her eyes open wide in surprise, Gabrielle takes Rhea's face in both hands and gives Rhea a brief kiss on the lips, closing her own eyes as she does so.

GABRIELLE

Goodbye Rhea.

Then she is gone, the sound of the door closing lending a finality to the moment. Rhea raises a trembling hand to her lips and touches them in wonder.

CUT TO:

INT. LOCIA – GABRIELLE'S ROOM – NIGHT

Xena pounds on the door, from outside. Gabrielle is tangled in sheets and Athena and showing a lot of skin. Both of them are. Athena sleeps, sprawled on top of the bard, her head on the chest and hair cascading around it.

Gabrielle, grumbling

GABRIELLE

The world better be ending.

Gabrielle wriggles out, throws on her tunic, then takes one look at Athena and covers her up. Athena stretches and sneaks a long, bare leg out; she playfully engages Gabrielle. Gabrielle bends and kisses it then heads for the door.

Drawing a dagger, Gabrielle sets her feet and opens the door partially. Xena pokes her head in and breaks into a wide smile at the sight of Athena.

Xena, enthusiastically

XENA

Nice leg.

Athena smiles her approval and Xena shifts her look to Gabrielle who by now is considering the best place to insert the dagger.

XENA

Trouble. Warlord burned down two villages and is marching on the third one. They sent several runners to others on the chance we were in the vicinity.

Gabrielle, yawning

GABRIELLE

Time?

XENA

Halfway between midnight and dawn. Rest well?

Gabrielle, points at the bed, grinning

GABRIELLE

I am developing insomnia.

Xena, taking another look, appreciatively

XENA

I would think there is something wrong with you if you didn't.

Gabrielle, reluctantly

GABRIELLE

Give me five.

XENA

You have half an hour.

Gabrielle raises an eyebrow.

Xena, grinning

XENA

Say goodbye to Athena properly.

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

You are the best.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. VILLAGE - ROAD – DAWN

A column of two score MERCENARIES makes its way down the road toward the village. Behind them, five men on horseback follow - WARLORD and his PERSONAL GUARD. They expect futile resistance, a mob of peasant militia that will fall like wheat under the scythe. Nothing prepares them for the steel clad figure standing in the middle of the road. Wielding a buckler and a sword is a woman with long, blond hair. The MERCENARIES stop and stare at this vision of beauty and war. The fact they outnumber her forty five to one doesn't faze her.

WARLORD, annoyed, loudly

WARLORD

Get her off my road. First row, attack.

Five MERCENARIES charge and the Gabrielle begins a ballet of deadly motion. She feints and darts past one, her blade thrusting and finding purchase in the flesh. The first MERCENERY goes down with a crimson trails running down his side as the second's arm is gashed and the third one takes a shield punch that loosens a few teeth. They attacked at once, trying to overwhelm her with numbers, but she is too fast and agile to pin down and their shield bashes and sword blades find empty air instead. Within seconds it is over, as five MERCENARIES is various stages of injury are groaning on the road which eagerly sips their essence with lips of parched earth. The rest stare at each other and are not eager to try their luck.

WARLORD, enraged now, roaring

WARLORD

Kill her! All of you, attack!

The column breaks as the MERCENARIES think to surround her and rush with shields. Gabrielle does not offer them the chance, running right into the breaking ranks and her body and sword dance to the music and rhythm of untold practices and skirmishes. She imitates Xena's yell perfectly and the confusion and fear grow. Who are they facing? Xena?

The owner of the yell gives one of her own and falls on the PERSONAL GUARD with a savage intent. Xena leaps on the first horse and twists the owner's head nearly all the way back. She tosses him to the ground and now mounted, takes out her weapons and engages the remaining PERSONAL GUARDS. They are chaff to her threshing, hollow husks hitting the road with a thud.

Xena faces the WARLORD, familiar visage of the past.

Xena, smiling cruelly

XENA

You survived. Pity.

WARLORD, throwing her words into her face

WARLORD

I know your father is in Locia. Several assassins are earning good drachma this very moment. He won't survive. Pity.

WARLORD raises his sword and the chakram cuts it on the way to sinking into his chest. Xena screams her rage and removing the chakram, dismounts quickly. A sharp whistle brings Argo trotting and she mounts her on the run. She takes off past the startled MERCENARIES and surprised face of Gabrielle, who is suddenly without the rest of the team. Xena was to take out the leader and his guards and then press the attack. That part now is gone and it leaves Gabrielle in the middle of hostile crowd fighting for her life.

Gabrielle realizes change in plans is in order. While she could cut her way thru the rest, it is better not to temp the Fates. One unlucky foot slip in this crowd and things get dicey. She whirls her blade, sending two swords flying and having bought some room, she gives a quick bird call and then ducks and smashes the shield into the groin of her would be beheader. VILLAGE MILITIA pours out of the woods, a score of hardy peasants with mismatched arms and armor, backed by a half a dozen VILLAGE MILITIA ARCHERS who spread wide. Gabrielle does her best to keep the main force occupied and lets the VILLAGE MILLITIA slowly chip at the rest. She settles in and fights three attackers at once, pressing and retreating, mindful to create space and distance. Quick flick of the wrist and a MERCENERY stumbles away from her, hand at his neck, trying to stem the deep cut leeching his strength. Gabrielle is slowly taking them apart and her defense is holding. They just don't have the numbers and time to wear her down and they realize that. Plus there is the VILLAGE MILITIA. Silent consensus reached, a score of MERCENARIES that can still run, do so. Turning tail, they head for the woods. Gabrielle starts throwing knives and five more don't make it to safety. The VILLAGE MILITIA easily round out the limping escapees and herd them with the rest.

Gabrielle is okay, some cuts and bruises and a nasty gash on the left arm. She pours some water on it and ties a quick and temporary bandage. It bleeds thru immediately, but she ignores it. The VILLAGE MILLITIA LEADER finds her retrieving knives.

GABRIELLE, to VILLAGE MILLITIA LEADER

GABRIELLE

If you have it under control, I need a horse.

VILLAGE MILLITIA LEADER

We merely stood and watched you work. The legends of Xena are true.

GABRIELLE

I'm Gabrielle, the runaway warrior was Xena. I am sure it was important.

VILLAGE MILLITIA LEADER

Then we praise Gabrielle, our hero. Your will.

VILLAGE MILLITIA LEADER takes one of the younger VILLAGE MILLITIA by the arm and gives him instructions. The man nods and takes off for the village as if Furies were after him. Gabrielle approves of the sense of urgency. She is uneasy as to what would make Xena leave abruptly but she feels in her gut that it had something to do with Atrius. She figures that time is wasting and heads for the INJURED MEN sitting in two groups beside the road. She takes one look at the results of her work and her mind is made up.

Gabrielle, deciding, speaking to herself quietly

GABRIELLE

Xena can wait.

Gabrielle takes charge of the field hospital.

Gabrielle, commanding

GABRIELLE

I need hot water, fresh cloth, and blankets. Send for a healer if you have one and clear this space. I want all the patients together, ours and theirs. Move.

More VILLAGE MILITIA take off running as VILLAGE MILITIA LEADER echoes her orders without missing a beat and her will is done.

Gabrielle washes her hands and starts triage.

CUT TO:

EXT. LOCIA – VILLAGE – MID MORNING

Xena breaks into a gallop at the sight of Locia. She thunders thru the deserted village on her way to the town square. At the edge, she reins in Argo and nimbly dismounts. The large, open space is devoid of men and beast alike. Only a clothed bundle of flesh claims the center. Her sharp eyes focus on the battered and beaten remains of a man. Her father, she is sure. She walks up to him slowly, not believing her eyes, circling. Dark droplets color the packed earth around him, spread like red pearls in offering to Hades. Ending at the head, she more falls than kneels in shock. Xena brushes his bruised and cut face with her fingertips, convincing herself this is no illusion. She lightly strokes his hair and then closes his eyes as her own lids drop heavy curtains on the world outside. Grief wells up in her and she holds it down with iron will, body taut, fists balled, muscles cramping in response. She is lightheaded from the effort, this surge of feelings for a man not long ago dead to her. Then she hears them and opens her eyes.

The VILLAGERS come out from behind the buildings, most unarmed, a few wielding bloody farm implements. Xena knows whose blood is on them and a growl escapes her lips. The VILLAGERS gaze back at her, eyes filled with bloodlust, minds bent on vengeance; men and women, young and old, consumed with hatred. They scream and attack.

Xena draws her sword and chakram and waits for them. A yell escapes her lips and red haze clouds her vision. She gladly gives in to the rage and the sweet release of revenge. Bare hands claw at her and she cuts those. Swinging in powerful, wide strokes, she slashes and chops at the living wall pressing in on all sides. The VILLAGERS, even in numbers, are no match for her, what with her armor and strength. The few with crude weapons are easy to slay and the rest are just meat for the grinder. Finally they all are dead and dying, lying shattered and scattered on the ground. Cries of pain fill the air and whatever possessed those people appears to be gone. Xena breaths heavily and the sick smell of death brings her to her senses. Her head clears and the reality of what she had done slowly seeps into her mind.

More footsteps sound and the CHILDREN enter the square. Xena notes in shock they are under fifteen and the VILLAGERS she faced were all older; some just. The CHILDREN gaze in horror at their massacred parents and siblings and then at the bloody figure standing with incriminating weapons over their bodies. Xena staggers away and drops her guilt, then turns and runs as the wailing of children hits her. She stumbles, falls, then gets up and drunkenly waving escapes from the images and sounds assaulting her. Her own scream of anguish is lost in the cacophony of sorrow.

CUT TO:

EXT. LOCIA – VILLAGE – EARLY AFTERNOON

Gabrielle enters the village and right away she realizes something is wrong. She dismounts into the quiet and leaves the horse behind. Moving forward, she hears the cries of children and she runs towards the source. Passing Argo, the sight that greets her takes her to her knees and empties her stomach. The CHILDREN notice second bloody figure enter the square but relax when they see her reaction. Pale, Gabrielle grits her teeth and proceeds forward. She tries to treat those few that cling to life but the injuries are too severe, the cuts too savage, and the blood loss too great. They are dying by the second and are beyond her help. Her extensive medical knowledge and experience is no match for the brutality of the villain who committed this atrocity. Gabrielle knows who is responsible but refuses to acknowledge the truth. Then she finds Rhea, sweet Rhea, gutted like a dressed deer brought down by an arrow at a hunt. She drops to her knees and cradles the head, sobbing. Innocent Rhea, harmless and searching for love.

Small girl stands in front of her, shadow partially shrouding Gabrielle and Rhea, darkness rejoicing at the carnage. Without asking, Gabrielle knows that it is Areliesa, Rhea's younger sister. Gabrielle looks up into the eyes filled to the bursting with hurt and loss and she knows what needs to be done. She closes Rhea's eyes and kisses her gently. Then she stands up and gathers Areliesa into her arms. The little girl collapses against her and grief flows from her. Gabrielle soothes her as best she can. Her eyes take in the lone body apart from others and then drift around until they settle on a stained sword and chakram lying close together some distance way. She can no longer deny the truth.

Gabrielle, heartbroken

GABRIELLE

Xena …

She releases Areliesa and guides her away. She faces toward the center and turns her gaze upward, calling out softly.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Athena.

Athena pops into existence and they greet each other with a warm hug. Gabrielle points out the situation with her head. Athena's look changes to concern as she takes in the situation. She focuses on Atrius and the abandoned bloody weapons. Silent understanding passes between Gabrielle and Athena. The Goddess' eyes go back to bodies and she is about to speak.

Gabrielle stops further inquiry by placing fingers on Athena's lips.

GABRIELLE

Later, love. Help me remember the song.

Athena nods as comprehension dawns and she gazes deep into Gabrielle's eyes. Something happens and a memory returns.

Athena, moving the hair gently off Gabrielle's face and stroking her cheek lightly

ATHENA

Open your heart and shine, my bard.

She disappears with Atrius' body and Gabrielle moves to the edge of the pile, the bodies in full view.

Gabrielle, authoritatively

GABRIELLE

All of you: move behind me.

The CHILDREN crowd behind her back, nervous and unsure but glad to be given guidance.

Guided by instinct and remembrance, Gabrielle starts to sing. She hears, sees and feels the anguish of the souls cut before their time. She takes away the torment and the pain and delivers eternal oblivion as the souls calmly pass away into the beyond. The CHILDREN watch heartbroken as their suffering parents appear for the last time and then walk serenely to the other side. Gabrielle hopes that seeing their parents at peace gives them a small measure of comfort.

The last notes fade and Gabrielle walks on stiff legs to the pair of weapons. Her body feels as if someone else is in control. She bends and picks them up, then walks to the water trough. She carefully cleans, dries, and oils them, as well as her own. The menial work settles her thoughts and gives her time to think.

Gabrielle stands up and finds the CHILDREN looking at her, expecting her to help them. She realizes she is responsible for them. She walks toward them and they circle around her, tear streaked faces gazing with hope and trust she does not feel she deserves. The older ones comfort the younger ones.

GABRIELLE

Send a word of the tragedy to the next village over. They have several families displaced from the two villages that were razed. Tell them there is land and property for those that lost theirs. One condition is that you are part of the bargain. I am sorry you lost your parents and I will do my best to find you families. Please take them home and prepare for the burial. They deserve their own kin, not strangers' hands on their last journey.

One OLDER BOY runs to the inn stable to take the message. Others slowly disperse toward the remains and set about the grim task. Life is harsh and they have to grow up fast. Gabrielle offers a rare, silent prayer to the Gods for the lives that were spared. Few CHILDREN remain in front of her, eyes on the weapons in her hands and unasked question on their lips.

Gabrielle, sadly

GABRIELLE

Seeing a woman about a monster.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST – EARLY EVENING

Xena sits with her back to the thick trunk, deep in the forest. Scattered around her are pieces of her gory armor, mocking her. Her body is numb and lifeless. Her eyes are lost in a gaze that sees not the forest in front but Locia in recent past. Her mind hears not the life around her but death echoing in the square. There are no tears. Xena waits patiently for Gabrielle and the end that it will bring. There will be no time for grief before Tartarus. Her greatest regret is that the first life Gabrielle takes will be her own.

Footsteps sound, different and louder, yet she makes no motion. Only her eyes focus on the present and Athena walking out of the green growth, dressed in …

ATHENA

Hey.

XENA

Hey.

Athena is carrying a waterskin and some linen. She answers the silent question.

ATHENA

Gabrielle's tunic, mine are rather revealing.

Athena kneels down and starts washing Xena's face. Xena allows it, surprised by the gesture.

XENA

What are you doing?

ATHENA

I undressed Gabrielle, bandaged her wounds and helped her bathe. Then I put her in clean tunic and held her in my arms. We talked at length and I comforted her. She is resting.

XENA

Why?

ATHENA

I take care of those I love.

XENA

You are a Goddess …

Athena finishes and begins on Xena's hands, scrubbing the dry blood that runs off in rivulets of pink.

ATHENA

Do you want me to stop?

Xena, gratefully

XENA

I expected different.

Athena, fondly

ATHENA

You are my friend and one of three most important people in Gabrielle's life. What is dear to her is double so to me.

XENA

I abandoned her.

ATHENA

He was your father.

Xena, admitting

XENA

She is my life.

ATHENA

Gabrielle is tough and you taught her well.

XENA

I swore she comes first and I broke that oath. I feel it will not be the last time. One day she will not be there.

ATHENA

Never.

Xena, growling

XENA

That's ours.

ATHENA

We have no secrets.

Athena finishes washing Xena's hands and offers her the rest of the water. Xena accepts and drinks it empty. Like her.

XENA

She won't kill. Is it to be your blade and were those last rites?

ATHENA

Death is easy, life is hard.

Athena sits down next to Xena, leaning against the same trunk to the side of her, leaving no distance between them. Xena is suddenly aware of how close they are and when Athena takes her hand she freezes.

Xena, scared

XENA

This is not right.

ATHENA

Relax. Gabrielle asked and what we have to discuss is hard enough. I am here for you.

Xena, uneasy

XENA

I am not comfortable this close with anyone except Gabrielle.

ATHENA

She mentioned that. Say the word.

Xena, needing the touch, relents

XENA

Stay.

Xena relaxes a bit and accepts the connection.

ATHENA

With my help Gabrielle sang the journey of souls and the dead are at peace; except your father.

XENA

I'm sorry.

ATHENA

Gabrielle saw the truth in Atrius and kept it to herself. She wanted you to rekindle your relationship with him because she believed he could be saved. She saw a glimmer of possibility and gave you and him another chance. The truth is, your father was a bad man, with a rotten heart. You had your doubts as well. Know this, Xena: your faith was rewarded. When the villagers attacked him, he refused to fight back. Your father followed your example and did the right thing, the heroic thing. He chose death rather than to harm the innocents. Xena, only the villagers with farm implements struck him. The rest stayed out of it, surrounding him but making no further advance. Your father was involved in the kidnapping and death of those same people and they decided on revenge. They were wrong. He was not afforded justice, he was lynched. The old adage of vengeance being a road not a destination was yours to travel.

Xena, ashamed

XENA

When we first met, Gabrielle said I had a choice to take a life. I was weak and turned to hate as is my habit. I continued in their steps.

Athena, sorrowfully

ATHENA

You murdered the entire adult population for the sins of the few and left a village full of orphans. Xena, you are a remarkable warrior with years of battle experience. You can retreat, you can use fists, and you can even use non lethal improvised weapons to take them down. You father did not have those options. Instead, you used bladed weapons against unarmed civilians. You were wrong. Two wrongs ended in tragedy because no one had to the courage to stop. You failed yourself, you failed me and you failed Gabrielle.

Xena puts her head down. She feels as if she is dying. She finds it hard to breathe and her heart is about to explode out of her chest. No words can form on her moving lips.

Athena releases Xena's hand and takes a long wrapped bundle and sets it on Xena's lap. She uncovers the cloth and inside is Xena's chakram and sword, cleaned and oiled.

ATHENA

Legacy of Ares and mistakes written in blood.

Athena shifts to kneeling in front of her as Xena makes tiny sounds of distress, confronted with irrefutable evidence - her tools of war turned butcher's knife. At her hand, on her will.

Athena, softly

ATHENA

Look at me.

Xena raises her head and keeps her eyes on Athena, not daring to look away.

ATHENA

Gabrielle told me: “I expected the worst and now that it is here, I find my commitment grows stronger. My faith will not break over one mistake. Athena, I know her and she is hurting; she feels this, it is tearing her apart. This is not the monster that roamed the land for eleven years. This is a person.”

Xena accepts the fact that this will not end their journey together.

Xena, relieved

XENA

Bless the bard.

Athena, quietly

ATHENA

She paid your price.

Xena, growing scared, moaning

XENA

No …

Athena takes her face in both hands, offering no escape.

ATHENA

Gabrielle accepted responsibility for your actions. Her armor turned the color of the blood you spilled and she is now the Butcher of Locia.

The news hits Xena with a physical blow. It is too much and overwhelmed by guilt and emotion, Xena feints.

Athena slaps her and Xena comes to with a start. She finds herself drawn into a hug and Xena releases the pent up feelings, the sobs shaking her entire body. She is embarrassed to break down in front of Athena and at the same time glad it was her.

Athena, gently

ATHENA

Let it happen.

Head on Athena's chest, it is a long while before Xena settles down. Athena lets her go and there are tears shining in her eyes as well.

ATHENA

She is beautiful and smart.

XENA

Yes she is. You were wise to give us space.

Athena, smiling

ATHENA

She told me to rattle you with physical closeness.

XENA

Sneaky bard. What you did for us …

ATHENA

I lived with loneliness so long it became my companion. I like to think I found her by chance but I was drawn and caught the moment I looked at her.

Xena, smiling

XENA

I know how that feels. I don't know what hit me harder; that first contact with her eyes or the wooden club hammering into the skull.

Athena, kissing Xena's forehead

ATHENA

I love Gabrielle and I accept the bond between your souls.

This time it is Xena who reaches and takes Athena's hands in her own.

XENA

You are a true friend. I know from the stories that you can be petty and aloof, but the real you is someone I am proud to know. I admit, I am jealous of your relationship with Gabrielle. … Athena, this is hard to say.

Athena nods reassuringly, but keeps the words inside.

Xena, her throat suddenly dry

XENA

Join us at camp in the evenings and leave with her together.

Athena, speechless

ATHENA

…

XENA

I want her to be happy. Please?

Athena, grateful

ATHENA

I accept your gift.

Xena drops Athena's hands and takes a deep breath.

XENA

Help me up.

Xena sets aside her weapons and tries to stand up. Xena has problems getting her body to cooperate but she eventually manages with Athena's help. She finds her hands are shaking visibly and tremors run thru her body.

XENA

I don't walk away from this. Not after what it did to you and Gabrielle. Why did you spare me?

ATHENA

I believe in you.

XENA

She convinced you?

ATHENA

Her faith is mine.

XENA

You, my friend, are beyond help.

ATHENA

You would know.

XENA

I welcome it.

ATHENA

We have that in common.

Short silence falls.

Xena, gathering her courage

XENA

What's next?

ATHENA

Time to face yourself.

XENA

What do you mean?

ATHENA

Xena, you are going back to Locia.

Xena, horrified

XENA

No, I can't.

Athena places her hands on both of Xena's shoulders and steadies her. She silently wills Xena her strength and resolve.

Athena, firm

ATHENA

You will return to the village, you will help with the funerals, and you will take care of the orphans. There is no running and hiding this time. You need to see, hear, and touch; you need to feel.

XENA

You don't know what you are asking.

ATHENA

Take your medicine in measure, hero.

A squeeze on her shoulders and Athena turns and moves off.

Athena, over her shoulder

ATHENA

I return to Gabrielle. Have faith.

She disappears into the forest. Xena collects her weapons and then dons her armor. She squares her shoulders and heads into battle. Except this time the opponent is not some nameless and faceless villain; the enemy is herself.

Xena, speaking gently to Gabrielle, who she believes can hear her, wherever she is

XENA

I was long away when the crows were feasting of the fallen. I left the pyre building to my men. Dispensing healing in my quarters to select few deemed necessary to advancing my cause. Causing death and refusing to acknowledge the harvest. That is what you tried to teach me in Draco's camp. I did not listen and a harsher lesson comes due. My brave and noble Gabrielle; forgiving and sacrificing, asking nothing in return. Having given so much, I tremble to ask but I am weak and alone. Lend me your heart and your courage. Walk with me to Locia, my love.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

 

 

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page