Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Thorns”

Episode 18

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS - CAMP – NIGHT

Xena is tossing in her bedroll, blankets balled and tossed aside. She wakes with a start, a scream dying on her lips. Across the glowing ashes a pair of eyes stares at her. It is the umpteenth time this night and Gabrielle is probably ready to kill her. That is the reason why she is spending most of the nights away and leaving Xena alone to her nightmares. They are growing in intensity and frequency, leaving her exhausted and in foul mood. Things changed after Locia and their friendship run aground on rocky outcroppings of Xena's warlord past. It came roaring back and swallowed lives without a pause, leaving the wreckage behind. Xena knows she is pushing Gabrielle to the breaking point and she can't imagine the carnage Gabrielle will cause when the dam breaks and words flow. Gabrielle can tear her apart with speech alone. But once again the bard proves her wrong, as if sensing Xena's despair.

Gabrielle gets up yawning and puts on her blood armor. She secures her weapons and takes one of the blankets with her, moving to the fire. She pours some water into the cup and mixes some herbs. She then walks over to Xena and kneels down.

Gabrielle, tired but caring

GABRIELLE

Drink and sleep.

Xena sits up, takes the cup and with a grateful look downs the contents. She returns it to Gabrielle, who sets it aside and sits at the foot of Xena's bedroll, facing away from her. Gabrielle wraps the blanket around herself and settles in for a long watch.

Gabrielle, over her shoulder

GABRIELLE

You are safe.

Xena lies down and drifts peacefully into nothingness, free of worry and full of comfort. Safe.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS - CAMP – AFTERNOON

Xena awakens with the sun making fine progress in its daily trip across the blue yonder. At first she is disoriented and then the scent of food brings her around. She sits up quickly and regrets it. Her head is still fuzzy and so is her tongue.

In answer to her unspoken need, Gabrielle comes over and hands her a waterskin, which Xena empties. Food follows and for the first time since Locia, Xena feels somewhat okay. She greedily bites and chews the rabbit, devouring it with more than a physical hunger. Her appetite is waning lately and she lost some weight.

Gabrielle, concerned

GABRIELLE

How you feeling?

Xena, between bites

XENA

Human.

GABRIELLE

Athena has watch tonight.

XENA

Oh. She staying?

Gabrielle, teasing

GABRIELLE

Don't worry, we won't take advantage of you. Much.

XENA

Humor ...

Pause.

XENA

Gabrielle, where do we stand?

GABRIELLE

Rough. I found comfort in Athena's arms.

XENA

I was not that person?

Gabrielle, sadly

GABRIELLE

You had no right. You were the cause.

Xena, plaintively

XENA

I was alone.

Gabrielle, softy correcting

GABRIELLE

No, you were with me and Athena. You refused her help.

Xena, persisting, stubbornly

XENA

I was hurting.

Gabrielle, honestly

GABRIELLE

Xena, I was broken. What you did, what it's doing to you and what you feel, you brought that down on me. You left me with two options: let us heal each other or bring Athena closer.

Xena, uncertain

XENA

Why her?

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

She is your friend and confidant. She cares for you deeply. Your rejection wounded her and it cut every time you ignored her hand reaching out to you. She told me.

Xena, tossing bones into the fire, bitterly

XENA

If she is so wonderful, marry her. Leave me and go with her. You know you want to.

Gabrielle kneels down and hugs Xena. Xena awkwardly keeps her grease covered hands away as she returns the embrace with her arms. Gabrielle looks right into her eyes and warm smile blazes into Xena's eyes and heart, breaking thru the defenses.

GABRIELLE

You are in pain and suffering. Xena, I am here for you. You did not show weakness in Tracus when you broke down. You showed the strength of faith and belief in another. Show courage; stop repressing your emotions. Trust me, just feel.

Xena, trembling

XENA

Is that what you live with every day? Every decision bringing agony? Haunting your waking thoughts and slumbering dreams? What have you done to me? I slept well and had not worries beyond the immediate.

GABRIELLE

Did you like yourself?

XENA

What? Did I like … I didn't think about it. Well, sometimes … more towards the end. After I met you … not when I did things that hurt you.

Gabrielle, fondly

GABRIELLE

I like the gradual changes. You are honest, open, funny and brave. You are what I saw in you from the beginning. Losing the warlord and returning to your old self. Why, you becoming quite the huggy type.

Xena, surprised

XENA

Really?

GABRIELLE

I got rabbit on my armor that says so.

Xena reluctantly removes her arms and realizes she held Gabrielle a lot tighter than she realized.

XENA

Just feel?

GABRIELLE

When the emotions flood and you are drowning, talk to someone. Holding them in is depriving us both of sleep.

Xena, curious

XENA

True. Who did you talk to in the beginning?

GABRIELLE

My scrolls. You want to read?

Xena, guiltily

XENA

I occasionally went thru your things.

Pause.

Xena, adding hastily

XENA

No longer.

GABRIELLE

I know. I have ways of keeping secrets. The offer stands.

XENA

What will I find in them?

Gabrielle, truthfully

GABRIELLE

A young woman who poured her heart and soul on parchment. Writing it out helped sort and settle my mind.

XENA

I don't know what to say.

GABRIELLE

Say yes.

XENA

… Yes.

GABRIELLE

You will apologize to Athena?

XENA

Yes.

GABRIELLE

You will talk to her?

XENA

Yes.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

Finish your meal and we will spar. With staffs.

XENA

This is going to hurt, isn't it?

GABRIELLE

Oh, you have no idea.

XENA

What happened to love and compassion?

GABRIELLE

Sometimes you talk and sometimes you hit. Now is later of those.

Xena, wearily

XENA

Forgiveness hurts.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INT. VILLAGE - INN – LATE EVENING

Xena sits on a chair at a small table in a corner of large room. From her vantage point she has good view of the entry door. On the worn smooth, almost shiny, surface of the wood rests her newly arrived plate of lamb stew and a pitcher of mead. Opposite her, Gabrielle and Athena sit close enough to meld chairs and bodies. No one will mistake those two for anything else than who they are. Gabrielle is wearing a thick, plain tunic and Athena has on one of her famous, body hugging ones, with a cloak on top. It is open in the front, which Xena surreptitiously and Gabrielle openly enjoy. Xena wryly notes that the service woman took one look at the pair and brought wine instead of mead without being asked. Xena tucks into her food, keeping one ear and eye on conversation of the lost to the world lovers and the other set on the surroundings. They decided to take a break for the evening and there are no stories to be told, just a company of friends and relaxation. Well, not with those too, Xena thinks as she chuckles inwardly. Athena chooses this moment to shift away from Gabrielle who gives her a hurt look. Athena smiles and spreads the cloak over both of them, leaving her left arm over Gabrielle's shoulder.

Athena, warmly

ATHENA

I felt the distance between us.

Gabrielle, appreciatively, sneaking her right arm around Athena's waist

GABRIELLE

Better. Needs less.

ATHENA

Patience, love.

Xena does not think air or light could fit between those two now, not to mention before.

Athena reaches over with her spoon and starts eating Gabrielle's portion.

GABRIELLE

Any reason you eating from my plate?

ATHENA

I like this side better.

Gabrielle, enticingly

GABRIELLE

Can I eat what's on that side?

Athena, playfully

ATHENA

And how do you propose to do that, bard of many talents?

GABRIELLE

I figure to start at the top.

Athena, purring

ATHENA

Spoon?

Gabrielle, coyly

GABRIELLE

I use my mouth and save the fingers for the middle and lower.

Athena, agreeing, licking her spoon provocatively and switching to fingers

ATHENA

It is a fine stew and utensils only take us away from the experience.

Gabrielle, seductively, running her eyes over Athena's body

GABRIELLE

Yes. Full bodied and rich, with a great texture. I plan to linger over each bite. A meal of this quality cannot be harried. Nibble here and there, maybe a lick or two; the idea is to show full appreciation of the banquet in front of me.

Athena, breathily, as she feeds Gabrielle a piece of lamb dripping with sauce

ATHENA

The divine symphony that is the sauce, lamb, and vegetables is to be enjoyed in its entirety, but it would do great honor to the chief to appreciate the individual components and give each their due diligence.

Gabrielle, silkily, cleaning the tips of Athena's fingers nimbly

GABREILLE

The mounds of meat demand attention and draw my eyes. I will be sure to savor them, grasping them lightly with fingertips and …

Xena, attentively following the conversation, interrupts

XENA

Would you two stop already? You keep this up and one of you is going upstairs with me.

Gabrielle, grinning mischievously

GABRIELLE

Get your own plate.

Gabrielle and Athena both laugh merrily as Xena puts her head down and concentrates on finishing her food.

Xena, imploring in a whisper

XENA

Lamb stew, what have they done to you?

The stew stares back at her suggestively.

CUT TO:

INT. VILLAGE - STABLE – DAWN

Gabrielle enters the stable in leather armor and full assortment of weapons minus the staff. It is not that she avoids the blood armor for what it represents; it is just more practical to go lighter on Argo's morning run and her mounted bow practice. She heads to Argo's stall and works quickly, hands familiar with motion from long practice. Brief grooming and inspection, then the saddle and bridle go on. Towards the end, she hears two people try to move stealthily toward the barn and fail spectacularly. They open the right door real slow and enter, closing it faster and unfortunately for them, louder. One, lighter of step, probably a woman or a young boy, stays by the door and appears to be fumbling with quiver and bow. Evidently unsuccessfully - there is a distinct sound of arrowhead hitting the straw covered ground. Amateur, thinks Gabrielle and continues her work, outwardly appearing unaware. Soft curse follows the fumbling and confirms the archer's gender. The heavier boots stop a distance from Gabrielle and their owner is apparently trying to decide what to do next.

Gabrielle, ever helpful, suggests

GABRIELLE

This is the point where you hit me over the head and carry me away.

MAN

Right, thanks. Wait! How did you know I was here?

Gabrielle, pointing out

GABRIELLE

Your archer, if she ever figures out the bow, is going to put an arrow thru you. You are blocking her shot.

MAN, praising

MAN

Wow, you are the nicest and most helpful slave we captured so far. We usually make scary faces, rattle the swords and use mean words, but with you all in armor and weapons we added an extra threat.

GABRIELLE

You don't say …

MAN, proudly

MAN

You have been captured by Two Thorns. Surrender peacefully and no one will get hurt.

Gabrielle, almost disappointed

GABRIELLE

No fighting?

MR. THORN

Well, no. Violence is not my thing and Mrs. Thorn faints at the sight of blood.

Gabrielle, incredulous

GABRIELLE

Are you for real?

MR. THORN

We are moving up in the world.

MRS. THORN

No more peasants.

MR. THORN

Petracles was very specific. Trust us, you are perfect.

GABRIELLE

Petracles?

MR. THORN

The last one did not meet his high standards and he had her hanged as a lesson to other slaves. Petracles can be rather demanding but with your sweet and acquiescent nature I have no doubt you can be trained to fulfill his every need.

MRS. THORN

Honey, I can't work this bow for nothing. Why don't you hold it and I will threaten her?

Gabrielle, aware all along of another presence, gives the signal

GABRIELLE

Xena will help you.

MRS. THORN

Xena who?

A fist punches thru the barn door and a strong, tanned hand grabs Mrs. Thorn by the back of her armor and slams her into the door going back the other way. At the same time, Gabrielle turns and swiftly severs Mr. Thorn's belt, leaving him grasping empty air where the sword pommel was a mere second ago. Both Mrs. Thorn and the belt hit the dirt together in sync. The other door swings outward and Xena enters.

XENA

What is it with you and forced marriages, Gabrielle? Pick one person already, you making my life a living Hades chasing all the suitors away.

Gabrielle, melodramatically, throwing a jab at the end

GABRIELLE

Another warlord lusts for me; won't be the first one.

Mr. Thorn, indignantly

MR. THORN

I am still here.

Gabrielle slugs him unconscious.

GABRIELLE

I decided.

XENA

About time. Welcome to the family.

GABRIELLE

Not you and not that.

XENA

Gabrielle, you tease.

GABRIELLE

I sing a tale of unrequited love and unexpected violence.

XENA

I like where this is going.

GABRIELLE

Plan?

XENA

Athena watches helplessly as a brave hero rescues her fair maiden from the clutches of evil warlord. Grateful, the beautiful Gabrielle declares her undying love. She marries Xena and they live happily ever after.

Gabrielle, pointing a finger at Xena, sternly

GABRIELLE

You, behave.

XENA

The Thorns deliver the nubile bride and I crash the wedding party.

Gabrielle, hopefully

GABRIELLE

Will there be cake?

XENA

Not with us warlords. We are more into meat and venison rather than baked goods.

GABRIELLE

Meat cake?

XENA

No! A thousand times no. You will not offend my mother by suggesting such monstrosity.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

You are no fun.

XENA

Some things are sacred. Cakes and pastries are off limits so keep your grubby bard imagination away from them.

GABRIELLE

My imagination is sparkling clean and wholesome.

Xena, smiling, counters

XENA

Lamb stew.

Gabrielle, smiling back, mischievously

GABRIELLE

There is this idea about cake frosting I had …

XENA

Keep it to yourself. Go ahead and run Argo, I have Mr. and Mrs. Twit to secure and interrogate.

Gabrielle beams and suddenly hugs Xena who returns it in kind.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

My hero.

She leads Argo out of the stall and around the bodies on the ground. Gabrielle is at the door when Xena calls her.

XENA

Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE

Yes?

Xena, innocently

XENA

Drizzled honey.

Gabrielle giggles in answer and her eyes sparkle with possibilities her fertile mind conjures at the words. Whatever they are, they keep her giggling until the hoofbeats fade.

Xena, fondly

XENA

Athena has your heart, but no one knows you better than I do, my bard.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS - FOREST – MORNING

Xena and Athena are following the trail of Gabrielle and two would-be kidnappers. They walk in uncomfortable silence, Gabrielle bringing them together and dividing them at once. Xena heeds the words spoken yesterday and decides to make an effort. For her.

Xena, noncommittally

XENA

So …

Athena, seizing the opening

ATHENA

Quid pro quo?

Xena, gratefully

XENA

I like that. Anything?

Athena, committing

ATHENA

No secrets.

XENA

Tell me about your first night with Gabrielle.

Athena, judging not only the question but intent, gathering her thoughts

ATHENA

You sure don't ask much …

Pause.

Athena, lovingly

ATHENA

She is a kind and gentle soul. For her it is about closeness, connection, and safety. The aggressive seductress falls away and the delicate flower opens. She is vulnerable and as fragile as petals on a rose. It terrified me. Here I am, scared out of my wits and questioning my actions and facing me is this being of pure light, trusting me completely. It was a shock and I was not ready. Not at first. Gabrielle does not hold back; she makes a total commitment and surrenders willingly. I now know what it is to hold that in my hands, precious and freely offered, and the faith she has in me shakes me to the very core of my being.

Pause.

Athena, admitting to Xena and herself, smiling affectionately in remembrance

ATHENA

That moment of revelation I fell in love. Then I run away screaming.

XENA

What stopped you?

ATHENA

She said “Athena” and bound me tighter than Hephaestus' chains. One word from her lips and I was hers. Xena, she spoke one but I heard thousands. They wove a new future, our future and what followed was beautiful and right.

Xena, gently

XENA

Your first?

Athena, shyly

ATHENA

My only.

Xena, pointing out the obvious, softly

XENA

Gabrielle is mortal.

ATHENA

I have forty to fifty years to change her mind.

Pause.

Athena, knowing this is hard on Xena, sincerely

ATHENA

I'm sorry.

Xena, sadly

XENA

Inside, I am hurting. Strangely, I also feel happiness. Part of me rejoices at what you have together. Another hates and curses you.

ATHENA

What you feel is normal. Xena, do you want ambrosia?

Xena, cautiously

XENA

Immortality is not given or taken lightly.

ATHENA

Not immortality, longevity.

XENA

The legends …

Athena, interrupting

ATHENA

I am immortal yet I age the same as mortals, albeit slower. Ambrosia restores youth and vigor, turns back the sands of time. The real Athena is a wizened, shriveled old woman.

Xena, jokingly

XENA

Don't tell Gabrielle.

ATHENA

She knows.

XENA

She has a thing for old, shriveled women.

ATHENA

Ah yes, Anastasia. What is it Gabrielle says? Play nice? Be nice?

Xena, grinning

XENA

“Xena, behave”.

ATHENA

Xena, behave.

XENA

Yes, Athena. I am sorry about implying you are an old, shriveled, millennia old, desiccated walking corpse.

Athena, making a drawn out show of putting her cloak over her body and closing it

ATHENA

With great reluctance I drape the cloth over this aged body.

Xena, objecting

XENA

Hey, now. I said what you are, not what you look like. Your body is highly appreciated. The tales don't do justice to your beauty.

Athena, removing the cloak, sweetly

ATHENA

You charmer. Gabrielle finds out about your advances and you are dead, friend.

Xena, philosophically

XENA

That's the bard. Loveliness and lethality in one beautiful form.

ATHENA

Hands off.

XENA

Believe me, it is not from lack of effort. I now understand the key truth about our relationship. She does not feel completely safe in my presence.

Athena, curious

ATHENA

From the beginning?

Xena, considering

XENA

Yes. There was a distance between us, a line she refused to cross and enforced with credible threats of violence. Only when the wall was firmly in place did she allow herself contact. I would not go as far as to suggest platonic love on her side, but I was happy with the direction and respected her boundaries. For the first time in my life I craved physical contact and found it in her; now, to small extent, in you. We just stayed together and the stone façade slowly crumbled. Then she fell in love and …

Athena, filling the silence, guessing

ATHENA

Locia?

Xena, bitterly

XENA

The gap has grown and the wall is stronger and taller.

Athena, quietly

ATHENA

Did you support our relationship?

XENA

No; to no avail. The harder I pushed the more she resisted.

Athena, sympathetically

ATHENA

Old ways?

Xena, regretfully

XENA

Old habits. Athena, in Locia I heard her voice. Gabrielle spoke to me when I lifted my blades. It gave me perverse pleasure to deliberately ignore her words and unleash the darkness as she cried out in pain. I reveled in the carnage and my heart sung with joy. Then she looked at me and I saw hope die in her eyes. She turned and walked away. I opened my own and saw my bloody sins. I knew if she arrived she would run me thru without hesitation. Tired of running and hurting, I sat down resigned and waited for the end. You found me.

Athena, honestly

ATHENA

Xena, you see her as your conscience but the truth is she is not. You have one. She started as your guide out of the past. Things changed. You will not always walk behind her and there are times when she will falter and you have to step forward. She follows you as much as you follow her. She could not kill you and she could not leave you. Understand and accept that.

Xena, plaintively

XENA

How do I get her back?

Athena, reassuringly

ATHENA

Xena, the distance is emotional. She healed and is ready to help you. You were selfish to expect her to be there for you immediately and wrong to grow angry and withdrawn when she was unable to.

Xena, trying to reconcile, apologetically

XENA

You tried …

Athena, truthfully

ATHENA

Not because she asked me. I used to think of you as Ares' dog, mad at heart but brilliant of mind. I know different now. You are a broken, troubled woman who is clawing her way back. Locia was a slip, a tragic mistake, but not a return to the past. Hate pulled you back and you struggled free.

Pause.

ATHENA

Xena, I participated in a beauty contest that sparked the Trojan war. My vanity overcame my wisdom and thousands died. Athens marched on my word and Greece followed. I rectified my mistake when I recruited Gabrielle and you to end it.

Xena, tearfully

XENA

Gabrielle suffered greatly. The fall of Troy hit her hard and the death of Locia at my hand shattered her heart.

ATHENA

We are not innocent, you and I.

Xena, accepting

XENA

No, we are not.

Athena, wonderingly, as if unable to believe the words

ATHENA

Yet she loves us.

XENA

True.

ATHENA

Friends?

XENA

Friends.

Pause.

Xena, genuinely

XENA

Thank you, Athena: for healing Gabrielle, for your honesty, for caring, and for your loyalty.

Athena, smiling

ATHENA

There is the hero and future Champion.

XENA

Fallen hero. One day I hope to live up to the hundredth of what Gabrielle sees in me.

Athena, strongly

ATHENA

Have faith. We do.

CUT TO:

INT. PETRACLES' CAMP – WARLORD TENT – EARLY EVENING

Gabrielle enters between the Thorns, weaponless, but dressed in blood armor. Petracles ignores them and does not look up from scrolls on the table, signaling his importance and dominance to his newest slave. So he thinks. The Thorns are cowed and meekly await his attention. Gabrielle has no such reservations. She strides powerfully to the table and placing her leg on the edge, shoves it into Petracles' chest, pinning him to the chair. He looks up in outrage and anger and then turns pale as he recognizes the scourge of warlords, or at least half of it.

Gabrielle, friendly

GABRIELLE

Hello husband.

Petracles, terrified

PETRACLES

Gabrielle, Butcher of Locia.

Gabrielle hears the Thorns try to sneak behind her, no doubt trying to jump her from behind. She turns and rolls under their outstretched arms. Coming to her feet, she faces them and brings their heads together with a crack of bone. Both slump to the floor.

Gabrielle, reflecting

GABRIELLE

Unconscious twice in one day, that can't be good. Then again, if any minds could afford a beating, it was theirs. No loss there.

She turns her attention to the warlord, who manages to waggle free; he stands up.

Petracles, trying and failing to sound menacing

PETRACLES

I have a sword.

Gabrielle, producing and then playing with the blade, dares him

GABRIELLE

Throwing knife. Interesting fact, I'm ambidextrous.

Gabrielle quickly secures two more from her boots.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

Oh look, she has friends.

Petracles swallows audibly. Petracles, desperate

PETRACLES

I have a dozen men.

Xena's yell splits the air.

CUT TO:

EXT. PETRACLES' CAMP – SOUTH WATCH – EARLY EVENING

Bored, one of the THUGS on perimeter guard wonders over to his friend and together they commiserate their lowly existence.

THUG #1

Life in the village was hard but at least there was a tavern and serving wenches.

THUG #2

We had a good looking one, a real harlot. You buy her drinks and as often as not, you end with extra.

THUG #1, wistfully

THUG #1

Those were the days.

THUG #2

Now look at us. It is drizzling, weather is turning cold and here we are on watch while Petracles spends a fortune on body slaves. And he does not share. What kind of warlord enjoys the slave and then does not pass her on? Where is the common courtesy between members of the criminal organization? The other band I was in - we shared everything. Well, almost everything. A fellow has to know when to stop.

THUG #1, grumbling unhappily

THUG #1

Hanged her to set the example for the others. What others? We got a cook and an uglier vision of a woman would be hard to find in Tartarus. Tell me, would you spend a night with her?

THUG #2

Not if I was falling drunk and struck with madness.

THUG #1

Exactly. We are in the middle of the forest and there is no way a beautiful woman is just going to run out and throw herself at us.

Xena takes it as her cue and runs directly at the thugs, smile on her face. They turn to face her and prepare for the embrace as she spreads her arms out straight to the side. They miss her acceleration for desire.

THUG #1 & THUG #2, dreamily

THUG #1 & THUG #2

Praise Aphrodite.

Lust turns to pain and oblivion as Xena clotheslines them with a bone crunching impact and keeps going, drawing her weapons as she closes in on the rest of the THUGS; they are just starting to realize her intent. Flash of steel and her yell burn into their nightmares as she falls on them in controlled fury.

CUT TO:

INT. PETRACLES' CAMP – WARLORD TENT – EARLY EVENING

Gabrielle, conversationally

GABRIELLE

Correction, you have dozen men busy fighting Xena. It's just you and me.

His hand reaches for the sword and knives fly. Before it even touches the pommel, three are deeply embedded into his flesh.

GABRIELLE

And now you have one leg left to stand one.

Petracles stumbles back and wets himself as she closes in on him. He heard plenty dark tales and knows she is playing with him, like cat with a mouse. Until the predator gets tired of amusement and goes for the jugular. He closes his eyes and starts to cry. He does not see Gabrielle look at him with pity and sorrow, then steel herself. She pulls the blades out and watches as his eyes fly open. She fixes him with a gaze and finds the familiar darkness looking back.

Gabrielle, holding him with her eyes, firmly

GABRIELLE

Why did you hang the slave?

Petracles, cowering, lies

PETRACLES

I was drunk and things got out of hand.

Gabrielle grabs and slams him into the ground, driving the air out of his lungs. She sits on his chest as increasingly frantic, he fights for breath. Relenting, she shifts to her knees, pins his arms with them and then straddles him, letting him catch his breath.

GABRIELLE

Lie is cowardice, truth is courage. Make your choice.

Petracles, weak from blood loss and lost in her eyes, growing larger by the second

PETRACLES

I like them young, pretty, and submissive. I especially like killing them slowly.

GABRIELLE

There were others?

Petracles, ready to tell her everything, confesses

PETRACLES

You are number fifteen.

GABRIELLE

How many did Thorns bring?

PETRACLES

Last one.

Gabrielle stands up and looks down sadly at the man.

Xena opens the flap and enters the tent. She passes by the Thorns and a small smile plays on her lips at their unconscious bodies. She stops and looks down on the warlord, lying small and broken, knife wounds in limbs.

Xena, not noticing Gabrielle's condition, teasing

XENA

One was not enough?

Gabrielle, sounding not herself, reflexively

GABRIELLE

Other kids were jealous. It is important to show equal love.

XENA

Poor Athena …

The silence stretches and Xena finally buys a clue and takes her chin, bringing Gabrielle's face up and towards her. There are tear streaks and deep sorrow is engraved in the expression.

Gabrielle, hurting

GABRIELLE

It was not about love. He murdered fourteen young women for amusement. Black heart, black soul. And the worst part, it is becoming a common sight.

Xena spreads her arms and reaches out to comfort Gabrielle, who lifts her eyes and meets hers. Gabrielle recoils, as if struck. She turns and starts to run, only to stop herself with great effort. She returns and embraces stunned Xena.

Gabrielle, sobbing

GABRIELLE

I was not ready for what the gift revealed.

Gabrielle relaxes in Xena's arms and calms down. Xena marvels at the ease with which Gabrielle can upset her world and is surprised how fast she can make it right again. One gesture, one sentence, and everything is as it was; from the depths of despair at the rejection to the soaring heights of elation at the acceptance. And Xena begins to understand how hard Locia was on Gabrielle and what it cost her. How the ghosts of that day live on in the armor and Xena's soul. Their soul. How Gabrielle can look at the darkness that is Xena and hug her anyway, blood and gore on the armor notwithstanding. How she can find a measure of safety and comfort where none is expected. The inner strength it takes.

Xena, reverently

XENA

You can't leave me.

Gabrielle, accepting

GABRIELLE

I don't want to. I want to be with you.

Xena, wholeheartedly

XENA

I am sorry.

Gabrielle, softly

GABRIELLE

I forgive you.

Gabrielle gives Xena a final squeeze and walks out of the tent.

Xena crouches down and a dagger appears in her hand. Blank eyes and stone expression leach all hope from Petracles and spill it on the ground, mixing it with his blood. The wounds are not fatal, they are meant to weaken and disable his limbs temporarily; perfect for her needs. She stuffs a gag in his mouth and secures it in place. She strips his chest naked.

Xena, cruelty plain and shining in her eyes, coldly

XENA

Hello monster, meet another of your kind. I am going to skin you alive. Don't worry, I have years of practice. Feel free to scream.

He does in abundance as she begins her work, the dagger drawing a thin red line on his chest.

Xena, leaning forward until their eyes are barely apart

XENA

Today is your lucky day: I am not you.

One stab to the heart takes his life in few rapidly weakening heartbeats.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS - CAMP – MORNING

Xena and Gabrielle are resting after a long sparring session. Both tunics are heavily stained with sweat and dirt. The weapons and armor are already cleaned and set aside. Soon Gabrielle will start on a meal, but for now laziness rules. Xena pushed herself and Gabrielle to exhaustion, trying to keep the thoughts at bay. Now, body spent but mind highly active, they return and swarm like bees in her head. Taking Gabrielle's advice, Xena shares the pain.

Xena, hesitantly

XENA

Your father … fathers … which one …?

Gabrielle, instantly

GABRIELLE

I love both.

Xena, sadly

XENA

I didn't have one …

GABRIELLE

Yes, you did. Atrius was with you for the first years of your life and the last days of his. You will take him home and reunite him with Cyrene.

Xena, unconvinced

XENA

It feels hollow.

GABRIELLE

Xena, do you talk to Lyceus?

Xena, practically

XENA

That's nonsense, he is gone.

Gabrielle, tenderly

GABRIELLE

No, he is here.

Gabrielle touches Xena's heart and it stops beating at the unexpected contact.

Gabrielle, not noticing, continuing

GABRIELLE

Your father is there too. You carry them both.

Xena just stares at her, uncomprehending.

Gabrielle, explaining

GABRIELLE

I talk to da … Praxiteles sometimes. I used to stop by his grave but it was not enough. So I told him about my day and Lila and other things. He listened.

Xena, skeptically

XENA

How do you know?

Gabrielle, with conviction

GABRIELLE

Faith. The dead can hear our thoughts when we think of them. Our words touch them when we talk to them. You see Xena, you are not alone. You have an ear of two very special people. All you have to do is speak.

Xena, deflecting

XENA

Gabrielle, you know what they say about people who talk to themselves?

GABRIELLE

I am not asking you to walk down main village road and hold a three way conversation with you family. Find a quiet, private spot and just talk to them. Tell them about your successes and your failures. Unburden your mind, ask them questions.

Xena, curious

XENA

Why? When was the last time you spoke?

GABRIELLE

It keeps father alive. I can almost hear his voice, caring and warm, responding. I know he passed on but our shared memories are real. The advice given and the example set made me the woman I am. The problems change, new troubles arise and life is harsh and unpredictable. Then I remember what he taught me anew and apply the lessons. It is him speaking to me without words, guiding me, across the years and the distance of our final parting. Xena, my father lives as long as I believe.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

I talked to him on the night I left Potidaea.

XENA

I don't have your faith.

GABRIELLE

Yes you do. You are the strongest mortal I know and it is not just physical. You have a will of Hephaestus' steel and the fire that burns in you is eternal. I did not save you from Amphipolis, I saved the village.

XENA

I don't understand.

GABRIELLE

Xena, how long would you let the mob attack you? How long before you bent down and armed yourself? I tell you: not long.

Xena, defensively

XENA

I wanted to die. I was ready to die.

GABRIELLE

You don't surrender and you don't give up. You have doubts and moments of weakness. Yet you always come back, swinging.

XENA

I don't …

Gabrielle, interrupting

GABRIELLE

Stop! Stop it this very second. No more “I don't”. I carried you all those months and now it is time to walk again.

Pause.

Gabrielle, with conviction, passionately

GABRIELLE

You are Xena, the greatest warrior in Greece. You are Xena, the hero that fights for greater good. You are Xena, the mortal human who fails as we all do. You are Xena, with dark past and bright future. You are Xena, the woman who lost her younger brother and absent father. You are Xena, who found Toris and Atrius again. You are Xena, a woman with friends and family who love you. You are Xena, a good person. You are Xena, a woman with unshakable faith in the above. You are Xena and I and Athena believe in you. Xena, see what we see.

There is a long silence, finally broken by impatient Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE

Well?

Xena, playing dumb

XENA

Well, what?

GABRIELLE

Feel different?

XENA

Slightly.

GABRIELLE

Take charge.

XENA

You can't be serious.

GABRIELLE

Lead.

XENA

Gabrielle, I learned to be a follower. You, my dear bard, are a leader. You put two queens in charge of this team and the only thing that will result is two very sore heads from butting each other. I like the current arrangement.

Gabrielle, annoyed

GABRIELLE

Take me out of the team. Now, what do you want to do?

Xena, truthfully

XENA

I want to retire.

Gabrielle, surprised

GABRIELLE

Oh.

XENA

Exactly. Half my life spent in battle and nothing to show for it, except scars and bloody legacy.

GABRIELLE

The past months?

Xena, lovingly

XENA

For you. All for you.

Gabrielle, knowing the answer, sighing

GABRIELLE

I am your purpose?

XENA

Yes.

Silence falls as Gabrielle considers scenarios and options. Xena rests comfortably in the quiet. Not her decision and she is fine with it.

GABRIELLE

There is a way we can both have what we want. Now, challenge me already.

Xena knows that Gabrielle has grabbed the idea like dog a bone and there is no separating the two. She tries a distraction.

XENA

Teach me how to talk to them.

Gabrielle, stubbornly

GABRIELLE

Xena, I am serious. Next important decision we, yes we, make is between equals. Deal?

Xena, accepting the changing roles, resigned

XENA

Deal.

Gabrielle, happily

GABRIELLE

Great. Starting tomorrow, we visit villages together and I will apprentice you as a healer and midwife.

XENA

Midwife? Gabrielle, I don't have the stomach.

Gabrielle, observationally

GABRIELLE

You carve bodies for a living.

XENA

It is different.

GABRIELLE

Chicken.

XENA

Fainting chicken.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

That alone makes it worth it.

Xena, smiling

XENA

Cruel, cruel bard.

Gabrielle, tad guilty, confessing

GABRIELLE

Actually, I have an ulterior motive.

XENA

Respect for life?

Gabrielle, quietly

GABRIELLE

No, it is personal.

Xena, abruptly scared, both of the answer and what it means

XENA

Are you …?

Gabrielle, reassuring calmly

GABRIELLE

I was thinking about the future. Distant, distant future.

Xena, relieved

XENA

Oh. Athena?

Gabrielle, knowing there is no way to soften the blow, honestly

GABRIELLE

Xena, I want you to deliver my children.

Xena, broken and not hiding it well, does the right, proper thing for her best friend.

Xena, sacrificing

XENA

… Yes.

Gabrielle, smiling warmly, grateful

Thank you. It means everything.

Gabrielle takes to her feet and helps Xena as well. She squeezes Xena in a hug, pouring her joy into bone crushing embrace. Xena does not mind and enjoys the closeness.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – NEAR CAMP – LATE MORNING

The water in the brook is crystal clear, showing an expense of golden sand, broken by smooth rocks and darting silver of small fish. Xena sits on the rock, lost in silence. She becomes aware of Gabrielle and then a warm hand is on her shoulder, resting there for a while. Xena signals permission and Gabrielle chooses a spot in front of her and crouches.

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

Who do you want to talk to first?

Xena, softly

XENA

Father.

Gabrielle, instructing

GABRIELLE

Pretend I am Atrius.

XENA

Gabrielle …

Gabrielle, patiently

GABRIELLE

Trust me. I start and then walk away. Close your eyes and begin.

XENA

Hello father.

GABRIELLE/ATRIUS

Hello daughter.

Xena, opening her eyes, protesting

XENA

Gabrielle, this is …

Gabrielle, soothingly

GABRIELLE

Shh, just talk to him. You are doing great. Eyes closed.

Xena concentrates on the image of her father, her sharp mind recreating the memory. She lets the sounds of the forest fall way. She lets the presence of Gabrielle fade. She just lets and starts talking.

XENA

I missed you, father. It is funny to hear myself speak the word and let my lips form the sounds into it. That makes it real, I guess. No, I know. You are in my life again. The choice was to let you fade into oblivion or listen to Gabrielle and keep you close. Well, we are together and I plan to keep it that way.

Gabrielle rises noiselessly and fades away, leaving Xena with Atrius.

XENA

I spent the years thinking up the reasons you left. Mother did not say anything good or bad about you, she just had that look. In fact, she said nothing, aside from stating that you left and one day you will return. That look was true love and you were her faith. Father, I will carry you back and reward her belief. You are going home where you belong. There you will stay, among those that love you.

Xena opens her eyes, which now see not what is in front of her, but what her heart sees. Tears fall unbidden and race to join the running water.

XENA

Life of regret, you said. How true. We search the world for our other half and often it finds us. We then leave, not knowing we are complete. We wonder again, broken, mistaking the pain of separation for the pain of longing. Such was your fate, father. By the time you figured it out, the Fates cut the thread. I won't make that mistake.

Xena, collecting her thoughts

XENA

I made you a promise. I gave her an oath. Problem is, it is killing me to stay and it is certain death to walk away. Slow or fast, those are my choices. Father, I am a cornered, wounded animal. Athena is immortal and that leaves Gabrielle. I know we will be together in death, yet separate in life. Athena and Gabrielle will marry and have children, and I will lose her in this life. However, if Gabrielle dies, she is mine forever. You see my dilemma.

Xena, deciding

XENA

Father, forgive me. I have to kill Gabrielle.

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

 

 

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page