Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“The Day My Hero Died”

Episode 19, Part 1

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. DELPHI – ORACLE - MORNING

A massive bronze statue of Apollo towers over Pythia dressed in her usual white robe, divining the future in waters bound in metal and set upon the altar. Two OLD SOLDIERS await her words with deep reverence. They stand a distance away on the smooth stone floor worn with age and traffic, heads bowed and arms crossed in front. Upon this prophecy depends the fate of Greece and it pays to show utmost respect and humility when seeking the favor of the Gods.

After a while Pythia raises her sightless eyes and looks right thru them, sending shivers down their back. They feel her gaze as a physical thing yet remain disciplined and hold their positions.

PYTHIA

Step forth, King Leonidas of Sparta and Strategos Demophilus of Thespiae.

Permitted, they move forward as one and stop before the altar.

PYTHIA

The Gods smile on your enterprise. Hear their words of wisdom.

LEONIDAS

The Gods command and man obeys.

PYTHIA

They will shake the earth with their numbers and she will make them small.

They will cover the sun with their arrows and she will shine ever brighter.

They will throw their best at you and she will hold the line.

They will send their savage beasts and she will make them meek.

They will come like roaring tide and she will say: you shall not pass.

And she will make it so.

Leonidas, puzzled, guessing

LEONIDAS

Who is she? Xena?

PYTHIA

Gabrielle of Potidaea.

Leonidas, happily surprised, excitedly

LEONIDAS

Athena's Champion? The destroyer of Tracus and Troy?

PYTHIA

Chosen now and yes.

Leonidas, exclaiming joyfully

LEONIDAS

Blessed Apollo. Gods have indeed smiled on us today.

CUT TO:

EXT. DELPHI – ORACLE - MORNING

King Leonidas and Strategos Demophilus exit the temple and meet the other STRATEGOI on the wide steps descending to the street below.

LEONIDAS

Athena's Chosen Gabrielle leads us. We need to find her.

Whispers pass and one of the generals speaks up.

STRATEGOS

Recent rumors place her near Locia.

LEONIDAS

Send runners to the neighboring towns and villages. Find Gabrielle the bard and tell her Greece needs her. We will await her arrival in Trachis.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FIELD – 5 DAYS LATER/AFTERNOON

Xena and Gabrielle follow the road, keeping their distance from it. It is more by force of habit than actual need. Xena walks lost in thought, occasionally glancing at Gabrielle, who is in one of her silly moods, so prevalent lately. She already made a garland for herself and Xena and crowned them. She is now working on the larger one to go around their necks as well. Argo follows at her own pace, behind them.

XENA

Flower power bard, spare me a thought.

GABRIELLE

Remember, you said go wild.

XENA

I like unexpected, spontaneous contact from you. I have no desire to turn into a maenad.

GABRIELLE

It's just decoration. If you rip off your armor and race howling into the woods, then I have something to worry about.

XENA

I have a better idea. Run.

Gabrielle takes off without hesitation, dropping her work and bow and quiver. Xena smiles and takes off after her. She closes fast, her long legs eating the ground in chunks. Gabrielle shifts from speed to evasion, changing directions at random and exploding into short sprints. This has Xena at a disadvantage. She can run Gabrielle down in a straight race, but has trouble catching the dodging and zigzagging woman. However, she knows from experience that an attack is coming; it is just a question of when. Gabrielle does not disappoint her, cutting sharply and twisting out of her grasp, Xena's fingertips brushing the leather armor and coming empty. However, she does not continue her escape. Gabrielle uses Xena momentum against her, stopping and driving into the body, taking Xena down hard. They play as they fight, full speed and all out, with Xena being mindful of her own strength and moderating that, but nothing else. Fierce struggle ensues on the ground, both of them fighting for position and trying to gain an advantage. Gabrielle fights dirty, striking at Xena's throat, which Xena partially blocks. In response, Xena punches the bard lightly on the nose, not enough to do damage, just to get her attention and water her eyes. Gabrielle ignores the distraction and goes for a choke, only to break contact and roll away, coming up quickly and drawing her sword. Xena follows without question and they both face Hermes. He is a handsome young man, dressed in a simple tunic. His most distinctive feature is a pair of wings on each heel, which mark him for who he is and explain how he managed to sneak up on them. They put away their weapons.

Hermes looks at two sweaty and disheveled women in front of him and smiles.

Hermes, innocently

HERMES

Something I should tell Athena?

GABRIELLE

Any bets on us?

HERMES

2:1 you move to Olympus and even odds she builds you a nest here.

XENA

Not if I keep taking advantage of her.

GABRIELLE

Warlords, what can you do. Where is the beautiful Goddess?

HERMES

Busy in a council of twelve. She sent a kiss and two messages.

XENA

I volunteer.

Hermes, self-importantly and loftily

HERMES

Can't. Delivery is a sacred duty.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

Do your best. Keep in mind Athena's wrath.

Hermes hugs her warmly and plants a smooch on her cheek.

HERMES

Better?

XENA

Sap.

Gabrielle, contently

GABRIELLE

Perfect.

Hermes hands her a scented scroll and the Gabrielle brings it to her lips and delicately kisses it, inhaling the perfume of her lover.

Hermes, sighing

HERMES

What Olympus wouldn't give to read the contents of that …

Xena shares his curiosity but remains outwardly calm.

Gabrielle, not fooled, reads her perfectly and teasingly passes the scroll under Xena's nose on her way to Argo. She secures it in her side of a saddlebag as Xena bares her teeth and growls threateningly at her.

Gabrielle, to Xena, amused at the mock display, promising

GABRIELLE

There will be girl talk and sharing of the letter. Later.

Mollified and growing happy in anticipation, Xena gives a small smile of victory. Gabrielle learned that sharing various bits of her relationship calms Xena and reduces her jealousy. Xena's biggest fear is exclusion and she tries hard to avoid that impression. The warrior, for all her strengths, is fragile and recent events did not help.

Hermes brings them back with a small cough.

Hermes, capturing their attention, serious now

HERMES

Persia prepared a second invasion when attention of poleis was on Troy. Xerxes recently landed on the mainland and is marching on Athens. His armada has orders to destroy the Greek fleet and after offloading men and supplies moved south. Coordinated defense is in motion. The naval battle will take place in the Straits of Artemisium under the command of Themistocles. King Leonidas of Sparta brings seven thousand men to the pass of Thermopylae. However, he is not the leader of the army. Gabrielle, you are.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INT. TRACHIS – INN ROOM – 3 DAYS LATER/EARLY AFTERNOON

The key turns and Xena and Gabrielle enter the room. Xena makes a beeline for the bed and tossing her armor, belt and weapons, plus boots on the floor, she sinks into the comfy depths with a sigh. She lies on her back in the middle, wiggling her toes happily. Thoughts of sharing are definitely not on her mind as she stretches languidly like some overgrown cat, sleepily claiming the bed. Her hands end up crossed on her stomach.

Gabrielle sorts the mess, setting aside their weapons and armor for later cleaning, and neatly stacking the possessions she carried upstairs. She takes Xena's boots to the open window and beats them against each other, shaking the road dust out and setting them on the window sill to dry and air out. She does the same thing with her own. She pads to the bed and takes a critical look at the occupant.

Xena, happily

XENA

Ah, sweet rest.

Gabrielle knows Xena likes to hog the comforts but the day is still young. This is unusual.

GABRIELLE

What's with you?

Xena, grinning

XENA

Gabrielle, when I invited Athena to the camp it was understood that bedroll Olympics were not part of the bargain.

Gabrielle, embarrassed

GABRIELLE

Oh. OH.

Xena, melodramatically

XENA

Last three nights were bakkheia. I understand the impending death, yours, and the desire to cram a lifetime of memories, but have mercy.

Gabrielle, giggling

GABRIELLE

Sorry, we didn't want to talk and had to keep the mind occupied.

Xena, dryly

XENA

You certainly did. Me and half the forest.

Athena appears in her form fitting tunic and smiles seductively at Gabrielle as she lifts the hem couple inches to better show off her thighs. Xena can't help but rivet her eyes to them, not noticing the amused glance that passes between Gabrielle and Athena.

Gabrielle, overtly to Xena but meant for Athena, coyly

GABRIELLE

If it is any consolation, sleep eluded us as well.

Xena, grumpily

XENA

No.

Athena catches the drift of the conversation and saunters around Gabrielle, coming up behind her and embracing her around the waist. Gabrielle leans back and into closer contact with Athena. Athena plants kisses on Gabrielle's shoulder and then, moving her hands to hips, spins her around. Gabrielle teases her with a nose rub, before kissing.

Xena ignores them both and fixing her gaze to the ceiling, closes her eyes.

Gabrielle smiles wickedly and mentions with her head to Athena. She lies down right next to Xena on her side and Athena joins her on the other, bookending the warrior. Xena opens her eyes and wearily looks at the smiling women surrounding her.

XENA

Yes?

Gabrielle lightly strokes Xena's forearm as Athena imitates on the other and goose bumps appear. Xena's breathing stops then quickens and her heart starts racing. She is caught between panic and arousal, not knowing what game those two are playing. Athena runs a hand thru Xena's hair and Gabrielle meets her fingers and joins them. Xena is flooded with sensations, the fear dissipating and warmth replacing it. Gabrielle leans down and brushes her lips on Xena's cheek and Xena is really having trouble staying still. Athena grins and repeats on the other side. Xena starts to enjoy this game of dare immensely and can't wait for the next move. Unfortunately, Gabrielle mentions with her head again and both women get off the bed laughing. Xena feels a deep sense of loss at their departure.

Athena, to Gabrielle, playfully

ATHENA

Got another room?

Gabrielle shows Athena room number on her key and the Goddess disappears to await her there. Gabrielle follows her normally, tingling in anticipation.

Gabrielle, before closing the door, mischievously

GABRIELLE

Sweet dreams, Xena.

Gabrielle exits the room and her footsteps rapidly follow the call of her heart.

Xena is busy sorting the feelings and emotions whirling inside her, trying to come up with an order to the chaos. She realizes they kept their eyes on each other the whole time and it was not about her; she was just background. She does not care. For a few moments, once the awkwardness passed, she was happy. Without knowing, Gabrielle gave her a treasure beyond price, a glimpse at their future together. And sealed her own death.

CUT TO:

INT. TRACHIS – INN ROOM – EARLY MORNING

Well rested, Xena paces impatiently near the window. Finally, familiar footsteps sound in the hallway and Gabrielle enters, wearing blood armor and full complement of weapons. The only thing left behind is the staff. Xena heard her arrive last evening and gather her equipment. She was surprised that her body refused to wake up completely and dozed peacefully in her presence. She remembered Gabrielle approaching the bed and tucking the blankets in. She remembered the gentle hand moving the hair out of her face and a kiss on the temple. Then she drifted back under. Strange.

Gabrielle puts the breakfast tray she is carrying on the table. There is enough for two and Xena is glad. They both take their seats and eat the warm cereal sprinkled liberally with honey. Fresh bread and hard cheese rounds out the meal.

Gabrielle, conversationally

GABRIELLE

Met the strategoi last night; just me and the boys bonding over mead and gory war stories.

XENA

You don't do either.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

Athena changed my mead to water and I drunk them under the table. It will be noon before any feel alive enough to crawl out of bed.

XENA

You are a bad, bad bard.

GABRIELLE

I have my moments. Plan?

XENA

The road is five chariots wide on top of the cliffs and then it takes a right into the pass. There is a large open area facing the canyon that cuts thru the mountains. This limits the Persians staging area. The pass narrows and makes an excellent chokepoint. You have a decision to make. Defend the narrowest point and allow them to bring more archers forward. Move closer to the mouth and trade increased casualties and wider line to hold in exchange for significantly less archer fire.

GABRIELLE

Anything else?

XENA

Persians deploy elephantry.

GABRIELLE

War elephants?

XENA

The beasts are afraid of fire and their legs are vulnerable to axes.

Gabrielle, impressed

GABRIELLE

Xena, you are an Alexandrian library of extermination.

Xena, unsure

XENA

That was a complement, right?

Gabrielle finishes her bowl and rips a chunk from a loaf of bread. Xena automatically takes out a dagger and cuts a piece of cheese, handing it to her. She returns to her bowl, guiltily enjoying the sweetness of the honey. It reminds her of home and her mother's tempting creations. Her tactical mind was forged in the crucible of the inn kitchen, where her mother jealously and effectively guarded the prized tastiness.

Gabrielle intrudes on her silent reverie.

Gabrielle, quietly

GABRIELLE

What are our chances?

Xena, pessimistically

XENA

It is a question of when not if. Few days, week at most.

GABRIELLE

Xena, do you think we can win?

XENA

No.

Gabrielle, firmly

GABRIELLE

I do.

XENA

I don't share your faith.

GABRIELLE

You believe in me.

XENA

Not this time.

GABRIELLE

Why not?

XENA

What you are asking is madness. You are a martyr, Hades bent on the cause of greater good. Congratulations, you found a spectacular and prominent stage to make your exit. Don't ask me to join.

Gabrielle, not taking the bait, evenly

GABRIELLE

I go forth defying the Fates and prophecy. Boldness and daring are not a guarantee of success. There is a reason for a phrase “heroic death”.

XENA

I am tired. I am tired of fighting and I am tired of standing over the bodies of people I love.

Gabrielle, musing

GABRIELLE

The joint decision turned into individual choice.

Xena, digging in, stubbornly

XENA

Think what you will, I stay here.

Gabrielle, softly

GABRIELLE

What will you do?

XENA

Wait for … news.

Gabrielle swallows the last bite and stands up. She leans forward and there is sorrow in her expression. Her face looms over Xena's and her eyes bore into Xena's.

Gabrielle, disappointed, sadly

GABRIELLE

You are a coward and a liar. You are not my hero.

She turns around and walks out of the room, closing the door. Enraged, Xena sends the table flying and puts the chakram thru the door.

Xena, screaming

XENA

You are mine!

Gabrielle continues to walk away without breaking stride.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – ROAD OUTSIDE TRACHIS – LATE MORNING

Gabrielle and Athena are standing under a tree near the road. Nearby, Argo grazes contently. The moment they both knew was coming has arrived. Athena is the brave one, putting on a calm and collected front. Gabrielle is leaking tears like a sieve. Athena faces Gabrielle, holding her hands in her own.

Athena, sadly

ATHENA

Prometheus' prophecy comes true.

Gabrielle, disagreeing strongly, adamant

GABRIELLE

Thermopylae is my destiny, not my end.

ATHENA

You believe that?

Gabrielle, with certainty, assuredly

GABRIELLE

Xena was weak, not in spirit or body, but in mind. I know why she let me go and I accept that. You are going with me to the pass.

Athena, patiently

ATHENA

Gabrielle, be reasonable.

Gabrielle, committing, truthfully

GABRIELLE

I fight for my best friend. I fight for my daughter. I even fight for Greece. Mostly, I fight for you. I am your Chosen.

Athena, composure cracking, pleading

ATHENA

I don't want to be alone again. Not anymore.

Gabrielle leans in and lightly kisses her, lips brushing together for a moment.

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

Everything dies. The Old Gods faded and one day you will too.

ATHENA

I accept your mortality though I will not stop trying to change your mind.

GABRIELLE

Athena, I can be immortal in one way that matters to you.

ATHENA

Stories are not enough.

Gabrielle, shyly

GABRIELLE

I want to bear your children.

Athena, forgetting the present, smile breaking out

ATHENA

That is our future?

Gabrielle, growing confident, returning the smile

GABRIELLE

I want it. Do you?

Athena, happily

ATHENA

Yes, yes, very much yes.

Overjoyed, Athena throws her arms around Gabrielle's neck and brings their lips together. For a time she forgets the battle and starts to consider the possibilities reflected in those eyes burning for her.

Athena, weaving the future and lost in possibilities, dreamily

ATHENA

Olympus and ambrosia can wait. I will command a palace built in Athens, the best of everything, with servants seeing to your every want and whim. You can perform and be entertained in the grand amphitheater. You can govern or lead the army, both if you want. Athens is yours.

Gabrielle, quietly

GABRIELLE

I will not sing in a cage, even one made of gold. Amphipolis is home.

Athena, not deterred, adjusts smoothly

ATHENA

Temple of Athena will be erected in Amphipolis and …

Gabrielle, firmly

GABRIELLE

I don't desire material things from you. I want you.

Athena, frowning, not understanding

ATHENA

Gabrielle, you are mine and there is a status that goes with it.

Gabrielle, strongly

GABRIELLE

We are equal.

Athena, snapping back into her Goddess persona, roaring

ATHENA

What?!

Athena removes her hands from Gabrielle and steps back. She is fighting with herself, millennia of worship in conflict with her heart.

Gabrielle, knowing this will define their future, not backing down

GABRIELLE

We are equal.

Athena, sounding unconvincing even to her own ears, unsurely

ATHENA

I am a Goddess.

Gabrielle takes Athena's hands into her own and the last vestige of haughty and imperial Goddess melts away, leaving behind a confused and vulnerable woman.

Gabrielle, convincingly

GABRIELLE

Mortals live on Olympus, favored by their respective Gods with ambrosia. Others are blessed with attention and riches on the mortal plane. Neither is us.

ATHENA

What are you saying?

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

You know my gift does not work on you. Look me in the eyes and tell me the truth of our relationship.

Athena, trembling, scared for the first time in her life

ATHENA

I can't.

Gabrielle, encouragingly

GABRIELLE

Have courage, love.

Gabrielle releases and runs her hands up Athena's arms and then cradles her face. She leans her head forward and Athena copies the motion, imperceptibly guided by Gabrielle. They stand with foreheads touching, looking into each others' soul. The gift is unnecessary, the truth is plain. Athena drowns in those eyes and realizing this, she dives deeper, abandoning reason and embracing the abyss. Love is surrender.

Athena, willingly and sincerely, tearfully

ATHENA

I am yours.

Gabrielle, tears of joy falling, genuinely

GABRIELLE

Thank you.

Athena, lightheaded, her head spinning, knowing their relationship just changed and deepened

ATHENA

What now?

Gabrielle returns the trust in measure. They now share the best and the worst. Together.

Gabrielle, softly

GABRIELLE

Love, I have a last request.

ATHENA

…

GABRIELLE

If I fall, take me to Amphipolis. I want to sleep with Lyceus and Xena. She won't be long behind. She has a son, you know what to do.

ATHENA

Lila?

Gabrielle, offering willingly, tenderly

GABRIELLE

Take care of our daughter.

Athena, heart skipping a beat at what the last sentence implies, tearfully

ATHENA

… Yes.

Gabrielle proves her right by bringing her head back and breaking contact. She moves her right hand over Athena's face, lightly exploring with her fingertips the contours she knows by heart. The steps of this dance change each time and yet the familiarity remains. Athena leans into touch, keeping eye contact the entire time.

Gabrielle, opting for plain, unadorned truth, speaking her heart

GABRIELLE

Not for me is Olympus, ambrosia, marble estates of Athens, or grand temple in Amphipolis. Born in the dirt, to dirt we return. That is who I am. I offer you a small brick house in Amphipolis three months out of the year and nights on the road the rest. The food is simple; the furnishings modest. We will fill the space with our love and laughter of our children. Athena, I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?

Athena, affectionately and honestly

ATHENA

I love you, Gabrielle. You are my half and I am yours.

Pause.

Athena, slightest hesitation in her voice

ATHENA

Gabrielle, you ask a Goddess to live a common, mortal life with you. I …

Gabrielle, placing her finger on Athena's lips, interrupting

GABRIELLE

There is no I, there is we. When you have the answer, find me. Goodbye, Athena.

Gabrielle turns around and walks towards Argo. Just as she gets there, she runs back and captures Athena's body with her arms, kissing the tears streaking the face and then the lips. Athena holds her there and they remain lost in each other.

Breaking, they walk hand in hand to Argo and Athena watches Gabrielle mount the horse with grace. Her courage fails her and voiceless, she stares at the inevitable drawing closer. Perhaps sensing something, Gabrielle leans forward in the saddle and their hands reach and meet. One final contact and then even that is gone as the fingers slip past each other and then there is only empty space between them. Argo trots away, carrying Gabrielle and taking part of Athena with her. And she knows the truth: she rather be with Gabrielle in a hovel than on Olympus.

Gabrielle looks back every few feet, seeking a sign. Athena is unable to offer one or will her mouth to shout what her heart desires. Slowly, the distance grows and the pain deepens, until Athena runs out of chances. The long road claims her love and she is gone. Likely forever.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – ROAD – AFTERNOON

Escorted by ATHENIAN CAVALRY, STRATEGOI advance briskly down the road towards the pass. Gabrielle is at the front; alongside her, Leonidas. She met the generals last night and now takes the times to evaluate her second in command. He glances several times at her as if trying to reconcile something. She lets him.

Leonidas, breaking the silence, bluntly

LEONIDAS

You are taller in the stories.

Gabrielle, laughing

GABRIELLE

It is that whole larger than life thing.

Leonidas, sincerely

LEONIDAS

The men who took the gate with you speak highly of Xena at Troy. They whisper in reverence of the lighting dancing around her, striking Trojans by the score. They recon most of the bodies on the ground tasted your steel. The Spartans stand to the end, shoulder to shoulder. We live and breathe loyalty to Sparta, to the unit, and to the men next to us. I will die for you, Gabrielle.

Gabrielle, reciprocating, honestly and seriously

GABRIELLE

And I for you, Leonidas. Brothers.

Leonidas, accepting and sealing the trust

LEONIDAS

Brothers.

They lean in the saddle toward each other and grasp forearms.

Eyes lock and Leonidas gets lost for a moment. He shakes his head, wondering what just happened.

Gabrielle, sharing, matter of fact

GABRIELLE

Gabrielle of Potidaea, you will stand alone yet you will fight together. You will fall and fate will hold her breath. Alone, you will be no more. Together, faith and love make whole.

Leonidas, puzzled

LEONIDAS

That is not the prophecy of the Oracle.

Gabrielle, simply

GABRIELLE

Prometheus foretold my future.

Leonidas, surprised

LEONIDAS

You know, yet you come.

GABRIELLE

Duty.

Leonidas, now even more curious

LEONIDAS

To Greece?

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

To Athena.

Leonidas, shrewdly observing

LEONIDAS

Awfully personal even for a Chosen.

Gabrielle, lovingly

GABRIELLE

Ours is a true, committed love.

Leonidas, nodding his head after a quick glance at her, understanding

LEONIDAS

I appreciate and admire your sacrifice. I have a wife and children. You are a soldier, one of us. We are proud to fight with you.

Gabrielle, teasing

GABRIELLE

Spartans lead by a woman.

Leonidas, truthfully

LEONIDAS

You are more, you are the Goddess herself. You know, we worship Ares above all Gods.

GABRIELLE

We tangled.

Leonidas, stunned

LEONIDAS

You met blades with God of war and lived?!

GABRIELLE

Left me with a scar and him with a broken face.

Leonidas, eyes flying to her face, disbelieving

LEONIDAS

You wounded a God?!!!

GABRIELLE

We have history.

LEONIDAS

Truly, you are remarkable.

GABRIELLE

We make our own fate.

Leonidas, thoughtfully

LEONIDAS

Gabrielle, I believe you do.

CUT TO:

EXT. THERMOPYLAE – FRONT OF CANYON/NEAR CLIFFS – DAWN

The GREEK PARTY, comprised of several riders, approaches and stops; so does the PERSIAN PARTY. The army's champions emerge alone and face each other.

Gabrielle lightly dismounts from Argo. She is wearing her underwraps and her skin is oiled, shining with a lustrous sheen. Her hair is drawn back into a ponytail. She takes the sword and buckler from the horse and heads straight at the PERSIAN.

The PERSIAN clearly expected a larger and heavier Spartan warrior, probably King Leonidas himself, widely considered Spartans best fighter. Instead, he is facing this … woman. If he did not know the stakes, he would take it as an insult. So, probably an Amazon, he thinks. Fast and nimble, good counter to brawn, same idea he had. The PERSIAN smiles as he dismounts and meets him opponent half way. The PERSIAN is wearing a loincloth and his skin is oiled as well. The PERSIAN wields dual acinaces and his comfort with the weapons is apparent.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

Gabrielle of Potidaea: Goddess Athena's Chosen, Destroyer of Tracus and Troy, Butcher of Locia, Shield of Thermopylae.

For a second he loses his voice and a flicker of fear appears in his eyes. The PERSIAN PARTY murmurs behind him, caught off guard as well. The PERSIAN suspects he is facing a demigoddess. He finds his words shortly but he is shaken and Gabrielle knows it.

PERSIAN

I Hydarnes, commander of the Immortals, offer my blade and dedicate your heathen soul to Verethragna.

Introductions done, they start to circle wearily and he locks eyes with her. It costs Hydarnes his life. There is a connection and he blinks.

Gabrielle, whispering, with great regret

GABRIELLE

I choose.

His brain screaming thru the sluggishness Hydarnes tries to bring the swords up one way and move his body the other. The bard is simply too fast and his reaction too slow. The sword buries itself into his chest to the hilt, piercing a lung and coming out the back. Bucker smashes into his head and the rapidly approaching ground embraces his body in a cradle of chilled soil and soft, dewy grass. He gasps for air, exhaling life.

Placing a foot on Hydarnes' chest, Gabrielle pulls the xiphos out, leaving pink foam bubbling at the entrance wound. She leaves him dying on the ground as the silence crashes around her. The Persian's best, defeated with ease and left to suffer his last breaths. The message is clear.

Gabrielle walks to the side and in full view of both armies, facing her own, she raises the bloody sword. Deafening roar washes like a wave and hits her. She holds the pose for long moments as the noise crests and then heads for her horse. She secures the weapon and shield and mounts her horse. She looks directly at the PERSIAN PARTY and then with a war cry, she turns Argo and heads for her lines at a gallop.

Gabrielle, war cry

GABRIELLE

ATHENA!!!

The GREEK PARTY follows at a distance, while the PERSIAN PARTY dismounts and gathers around their champion.

Gabrielle draws the sword again and the roar of seven thousand throats answers in the canyon. They split and make way as she files by them, their Goddess. They are hers and they believe.

CUT TO:

INT. THERMOPYLAE – GREEK CAMP/COMMAND TENT - NIGHT

Leonidas enters the command tent. He is worried. Gabrielle was listless and withdrawn all day but managed to hide it from others. No him.

Gabrielle sits on the stool, lost to the world, staring at her hands as tears fall and gather at her feet. She notices him enter, but does not acknowledge his presence.

Leonidas walks up to her and sits on the ground in front of her. He looks at the anguish and sorrow written on that young face and his heart clenches. He understands the pain, having been there; every battle scarred soldier faces this burden eventually. He has to be here for her now, so she can be there for them tomorrow. Gabrielle is their hope.

Leonidas, sympathetically

LEONIDAS

First kill?

Gabrielle, tearfully, hurting

GABRIELLE

I am responsible for deaths. This was personal and it hurts.

Pause.

Gabrielle, quietly

GABRIELLE

My will, my hand.

Leonidas, gently

LEONIDAS

Do you know the difference between you and me?

Gabrielle, uncertainly

GABRIELLE

… No.

LEONIDAS

Did you strike him down in anger?

GABRIELLE

No.

LEONIDAS

Did your training take over?

GABRIELLE

No.

LEONIDAS

Was it a conscious decision?

Gabrielle, closing her eyes, regretfully

GABRIELLE

Yes. I decided to end his life and I did.

Leonidas, truthfully, softly

LEONIDAS

We are both killers. You put me in front of a man, point at him, and I swing. I don't question, don't hesitate, don't doubt; I just do. That is the Spartan way, obedience and discipline. That is not you. You don't mindlessly and unquestioningly extinguish lives. And this extends to Xena nowadays, thanks to you. She is a painting of restraint and self-control instead of out of control rabid dog she used to be. I know your tales and though few in numbers the fights you survived paint a different picture. It is not in you. While my heart grows colder with each soul sent to Hades, yours burns brighter. I feel, no, I believe, that the next life you choose to take will be even harder for you. The same way I know that Locia was all Xena. Surprised? I am a king as well as a warrior; wisdom complements strength. You gave up your blood innocence to inspire our victory. I speak as a leader of Spartans when I say that it was a right and proper decision. Speaking as a friend, I say: I'm sorry.

Gabrielle, gratefully

GABRIELLE

Thank you.

Leonidas, earnestly

LEONIDAS

You are special, Gabrielle. You are our protector, you are our hope, and you are our light. You are my Goddess.

Gabrielle smiles benevolently as Leonidas kneels in front of her. He kisses the back of her hands reverently. They look in each other's eyes and something passes.

Leonidas, offering

LEONIDAS

I will stand in the front row tomorrow.

Gabrielle, accepting

GABRIELLE

I will stand with you.

LEONIDAS

To the end.

Gabrielle leans forward and kisses his head, blessing him.

Gabrielle, committing

GABRIELLE

Together.

CUT TO:

EXT. THERMOPYLAE – PASS – 1ST DAY/DAWN

Gabrielle has positioned her forces about a fifth of the way into the canyon. Row upon row of HOPLITES in heavy armor and armed with spears fill the space, wall to stone wall. In the middle of the formation, in the first row, Gabrielle is resplendent in her blood armor. Leonidas is to her left, showing his trust. Gabrielle is the only one not carrying a hoplon, her usual buckler in hand.

Facing them is a tight formation of lightly armored PERSIAN INFANTRY, with wicker shields and shorter spears. What they lack in metal they make up in numbers. Xerxes' army is north of hundred thousand. The Persians kept the numbers of infantry low in order to bring the maximum number of archers to bear. The PERSIAN ARCHERS number in the thousands, occupying all the available space.

Command goes out and a multitude of bows rises to the sky. Another command and the sky darkens with the man-made cloud. The Greeks make no effort to shield and the Persians are confused.

The rain of arrows whistles toward their targets. At the halfway point, they all suddenly burst into flames. Ashes and arrowheads rain down on the stunned Persians. The waking sun shines on Gabrielle and she burns brighter by the second. Second wave is released, with the same results.

Gabrielle, whispering her gratitude

GABRIELLE

Thank you, Apollo.

The debris is still falling from the sky when Gabrielle roars her command and the HOPLITES charge the shocked PERSIAN INFANTRY.

GABRIELLE

ATHENA!!!

Led by Gabrielle, followed by Leonidas and the HOPLITES, consisting mainly of Spartans, the Greeks smash into the tight but not very deep ranks of PERSIAN INFANTRY and drive them back into the PERSIAN ARCHERS. The superior armor, weaponry and skill of HOPLITES finds little resistance in their opponents and the grim harvest begins in earnest. The narrow coastal road on the top of the cliffs significantly hinders the reinforcements and the PERSIAN ARCHERS trying to withdraw from the front lines turn the whole thing into a complete disaster. The Persians can't move the needed infantry to the front for hours. By late afternoon, Persians have lost four fifths of their archers and the Greeks return to the safety of the canyon.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. THERMOPYLAE – PASS – 1ST DAY/NIGHT

Gabrielle wearily pushes away the maps and scrolls, reports and status updates. She yawns and stands up, pushing the chair away from the table. She heads for her pallet and secures the weapons around her bed. She is about to dive under the blankets when she senses an arriving God. Not Athena. She judges the approximate arrival place and places herself accordingly. Gabrielle's hands flicker restlessly over the knife handles on her belt.

Ares appears, smiling and relaxed, in his usual black leather armor. He is holding a cup and appears to be in great mood.

Ares, happily

ARES

Gabrielle, my bloody bard, I am proud of you. I have not seen carnage like that since the glory days with Xena.

He takes a swallow of the contents with pleasure, and then licks his lips, looking at her. He does not take his eyes off Gabrielle.

Gabrielle, ignoring his actions, evenly

GABRIELLE

The Greeks fight for Athena.

Ares, dismissively

ARES

The Spartans fight for me.

Gabrielle, pointedly

GABRIELLE

Ares, there are two sacrifices daily, in the morrow and eve. No one worships you here, I made sure. I am their Goddess.

Ares approaches and offers her the cup, but she declines with her head.

Ares, charmingly

ARES

Sweet Gabrielle, you make my blood rage with the words that pass your luscious lips. Know this, the Delphi prophecy was mine. Admit it, I too have a way with words. And women.

GABRIELLE

Full of boast and big words, little where it counts; so like you, Ares.

Ares, smiling

ARES

No hitting below the belt, but you can kiss.

GABRIELLE

You are disgusting.

Ares puts the cup under her nose and gently blows the aroma of the ambrosia towards her nostrils, which twitch.

Gabrielle smells fruit, honey, and spices and despite herself, her lips part slightly. She feels the craving hit her and resists it.

Ares, warmly

ARES

Gabrielle, you deserve fire and passion not cold flesh and tepid heartbeat. Athena makes ice feel like hot lava.

Gabrielle, raising her hand and pushing the cup away from her face, affectionately

GABRIELLE

I love her. I asked for her hand.

Ares, slightly thrown by this unexpected development, continues without a clue

ARES

The Goddess of war doesn't love, she takes. She turned you down, didn't she?

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

You are wrong.

Ares, magnanimously

ARES

Very well, I give you everything. Love, as much as I can offer, place as my wife, position as my Chosen, longevity, wealth and glory. You want women? I will bring you body slaves by the hundreds, an entire harem for you. Young, beautiful, and virgin, just the way you like them. Burn the world with me.

He moves the cup to her lips and tilts it, the nectar so very close and oh so very tempting.

Ares, looking into her eyes, projecting his power

ARES

Will you marry me, Gabrielle?

Sweat beads on her brow and it is taking her entire willpower to resist either offer.

Gabrielle, losing the battle, thru clenched teeth, throws one last verbal punch

GABRIELLE

Kneel.

Ares, mask slipping, eyes savage and cruel, anger flashing

ARES

Gods submit to no one.

The control breaks and she takes a quick step back, away from him. She can resist him now, but does not trust herself around ambrosia.

Gabrielle, shaken but defiant

GABRIELLE

There is your problem.

Ares, coldly and cuttingly

ARES

You will die in two days mortal, that is your destiny. Athena and Xena can't save you.

Just like that, he changes. He dips his thumb in the nectar and stepping forward, grabs her chin firmly. Showing his most dazzling and alluring smile, he ever so slowly and tenderly spreads the liquid on her upper lip and under her nose. Gabrielle is frozen.

Ares, seductively

ARES

Whisper “yes” and your dreams come true.

Ares plants a small, chaste kiss on her lips and lets her go.

He disappears and she blinks and runs for the waterskin. She dumps the contents on her face, scrubbing with a purpose, and then uses the second one to gurgle and wash her mouth.

CUT TO:

EXT. THERMOPYLAE – PASS – 2ND DAY/DAWN

The Persians have learned their lesson and the Greeks are facing mostly PERSIAN INFANTRY. The flags vary, but the equipment is similar. They tend to blend into one giant Persian mosaic, with cloth on a stick marking the divisions.

The commands sound and the battle commences. Gabrielle and Leonidas lead from the front. They settle into a routine, with Gabrielle removing the pointy ends of enemy spears and then sticking her own sword into whatever faceless PERSIAN INFANTRY unfortunate happened to be in front of her. The hours pass as the body count grows and eventually they rotate to the rear for rest. The inferior equipment is really handicapping the PERSIAN INFANTRY and they suffer heavy losses for each Greek life taken. They do have the numbers to make it work in their favor and so it proceeds.

CUT TO:

EXT. THERMOPYLAE – PASS – 3RD DAY/DAWN

Gabrielle stares at ten thousand IMMORTALS facing them. Better armor, longer spears, bronze shields, still inferior to her HOPLITES. She turns to Leonidas, smile lighting her face as the sun burnishes her armor. She is glowing.

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

Ares visited two nights ago. Today is the last day for us.

Leonidas, his gaze on the sky and ocean in the distance, alive with color

LEONIDAS

It is beautiful.

GABRIELLE

Good day to die.

LEONIDAS

Glorious.

Gabrielle, calmly

GABRIELLE

They will sing of us.

Leonidas, proudly

LEONIDAS

We will live forever in the memories of men.

The earthly concerns float away and peace fills their souls.

CUT TO:

EXT. THERMOPYLAE – PASS – 3RD DAY/MIDMORNING

The IMMORTALS finally manage to break thru the formation and separate the forward HOPLITES from the rest. They pour into the crack, knowing that the two Greek leaders are now separated from their troops.

Gabrielle refuses to retreat, refuses to give an inch of ground. Leonidas grimly stands with her. He knows she will not abandon this spot. She chose her fate and so did he. The few HOPLITES left complete the tight group.

The pile of IMMORTALS under their feet grows and slowly a hill of bodies forms under their feet. The main body HOPLITES try several times to break thru to them, but each time they are repealed. One by one the remaining HOPLITES that stayed with them pass to the other side. Then, only they remain.

Leonidas, saluting

LEONIDAS

Duty and honor.

Gabrielle, loudly

GABRIELLE

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.

They stand back to back against the Persian tide, immovable and impervious. The sun marches onward and the shadows lengthen and still they fight. The elevation is working to their advantage, making the IMMORTALS fight uphill and demoralizing them, their fallen reminding them of their future with each step.

Gabrielle faces toward the sea and the sun racing towards the watery grave. She trusts the others to fight their way to them because she will not withdraw. To Hades with Ares and Fates, she thinks. She laughs and throws herself into the fight with renewed vigor. Time matters not. Nothing does anymore.

The IMMORTALS swarm from all sides and the battle picks up pace. The IMMORTALS concentrate on the slower, more heavily armored Leonidas, throwing their lives in desperate attempt to wound and bleed him weak. They pay dearly but are successful. Finally, the spears find the unprotected spots on his leg armor and enter the flesh. Leonidas goes down and Gabrielle instantly is over him, protecting him from further harm. Her ferocity drives back the IMMORTALS and they back up and regroup.

Leonidas drops his shield and tries to stand and spears seek his now unprotected left side as the rest press Gabrielle. She can't fight them all off and defend every spear bound for his body.

HOPLITES press their attack and begin to push the blocking IMMORTALS back by sheer effort of will. Gabrielle and Leonidas have to survive just a bit longer.

The IMMORTALS come over the top of the hill of bodies and Gabrielle makes them bleed, but they slowly push her down the slope, away from Leonidas. The ranks flow over him and press their advantage. Gabrielle loses her footing on the shifting, slick bodies and wobbles. The IMMORTALS have their opening and they charge downhill.

Gabrielle, lovingly

GABRIELLE

Goodbye, love.

She can't fight gravity and the IMMORTALS at the same time. Fighting as she is going down, Gabrielle falls.

Solid mass of IMMORTALS sweeps over her and she is gone, buried under bodies. Cheers and shouts of triumphs ring off the stone walls and the IMMORTALS surge with renewed spirit towards the HOPLITES.

 

 

 

FADE OUT:

TO BE CONTINUED

END OF PART ONE

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page