Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“I, Legend ”

Episode 27

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – GRASS FIELD – EARLY AFTERNOON

Xena is throwing knives at a strip of leather attached to the trunk of an oak. Thanks to chakram practice her left handed throws are decent but could use more practice. Every so often she tosses a small rock at one of the other trees around them. Gabrielle has her eyes covered with a strip of linen and is listening intently for the sound of the stone hitting bark. When she hears one, she lets fly with a knife, invariably hitting the same spot.

Xena decides to have a bit of fun and start throwing rocks at Gabrielle. The bard puts the knives away and tries to catch or deflect the incoming missiles. She is doing too good a job of it so with a mischievous grin Xena takes out a sling from behind her back and starts pelting the bard's body and limbs. Wising up and smarting from the hits, Gabrielle finds her way to the staff and picks it up. Now she is able to block and she sticks out her tongue, mocking Xena in the fine warrior tradition. Not one to stand for insult, Xena drops the sling and starts stalking the bard. Gabrielle throws away the weapon and sets her feet, her body in defensive position.

Xena does not go for wrestling. Instead, she starts throwing punches and kicks and they start sparring. Despite the blindfold Gabrielle is holding her ground and Xena begins to suspect she is reading her somehow. Switching tactics, she tackles Gabrielle and they both roll on the grass, laughing. They end up laying on the ground, side by side, on their backs. Gabrielle uncovers her eyes and joins Xena in cloud gazing.

After a few minutes of relaxation, Gabrielle stretches and sits up.

Gabrielle, looking down at Xena, evenly

GABRIELLE

Teach me pressure points.

Xena, lazily

XENA

Okay.

Gabrielle, surprised

GABRIELLE

Just like that?

Xena, shrugging

XENA

You don't hide secrets and I learned I can't from you. Besides, you observe and repeat my movements in perfect detail. It is wiser to teach you the techniques under supervision than to have you experiment on some unlucky and, Gods forbid, quite possibly dead bastard.

Gabrielle, rewarding Xena with a smile, warmly

GABRIELLE

How can I refuse when you sweet talk me into it?

Xena, getting into the spirit, teasing

XENA

Any other things my honey covered tongue can persuade you to do?

Gabrielle, breathily

GABRIELLE

Many …

Xena, bolting into sitting position, looking intently into the bard's face

XENA

Wait, what?!

Gabrielle, enjoying this, her eyes twinkling

GABRIELLE

You asked.

Xena, pouting

XENA

Not fair, I was expecting a rejection.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

And now you have one. See, the world is yours; you wish it and it is so.

XENA

Bad bard. Back to sugar.

Gabrielle, smartly

GABRIELLE

Fresh out; Athena is hoarding my supply.

XENA

What happened to “many”?

GABRIELLE

Ask, don't mope.

Xena, softening her expression, sweetly and softly

XENA

Gabrielle, can you please strip to your underwraps?

Gabrielle, playfully

GABRIELLE

Sure, but no dancing or wriggling of hips.

Xena, nonchalantly

XENA

If you insist.

GABRIELLE

I do.

Xena shifts to kneeling on the ground and watches Gabrielle stand up and remove the equipment, armor, and clothes. She mirrors Xena's position and they face each other.

Gabrielle, all business now

GABRIELLE

We will start with your signature move. Put a pinch on me.

Xena, suspiciously

XENA

Why?

GABRIELLE

I need to know and feel the consequences of my action.

Xena, having an uneasy feeling, stalling

XENA

Are you sure?

Gabrielle, leaving no doubt, firmly

GABRIELLE

Do it.

Xena eyes her for a few seconds. Gabrielle looks back at her steadily, right in her eyes, open and not hiding anything. Reluctantly, Xena nods agreement and proceeds with instructions.

Xena, demonstrating on herself

XENA

You place your fingers so and do quick, firm jabs right here with this motion.

Xena goes thru the entire thing, stopping short of applying the pinch. She then repeats a few times. Gabrielle nods and Xena reaches out a hand. She touches the spots on Gabrielle's neck, tapping them lightly for emphasis, but not executing the technique.

XENA

Ready?

Gabrielle, strongly and honestly

GABRIELLE

I trust you.

Xena puts the pinch on Gabrielle and immediately tries to remove it. No luck. Bard's hands grab her by the wrists and hold her in iron grip as Gabrielle's eyes lock on her.

Thirty seconds left.

Xena, nervous

XENA

What are you doing?

There is no answer, just the eyes of her best friend boring into hers. There is no doubt or hesitation in bard's eyes, just affection and trust. That is what makes the action incomprehensive to Xena.

Twenty five seconds left.

Twenty seconds left.

Blood runs from Gabrielle's nose and she is clearly having trouble staying upright.

Fifteen seconds left.

Xena, alarmed

XENA

Gabrielle!

Ten seconds left.

Xena, panicking yet unable to escape the grip of those eyes, screaming

XENA

GABRIELLE!!!

Seven seconds left.

With six seconds left, Gabrielle releases her hold and Xena removes the pinch. Gabrielle is a touch lightheaded and sways; Xena grabs her fiercely in a hug.

Xena, tearfully, hurting

XENA

How could you?

Gabrielle, rocking her friend, gently

GABRIELLE

Shh, had to be done.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – GRASS FIELD – LATE AFTERNOON

Gabrielle is dozing in the grass, back to cloud watching, weapons and armor piled within reach. She is considering staying the night and arriving in the next village in the early morning. They are going to start looking for campsite soon. She extends her senses and detects Xena coming back from her emotional time out.

Xena walks back, bristling and grumpy. Yet all it takes is one look at the bard and that warm smile greeting her and her foul mood lifts along with her heart. She spent the last few hours walking mindlessly, which engaged her feet while her mind drifted. She walks to Gabrielle and extends a hand. She helps her friend stand up. They stand face to face.

Xena, demanding

XENA

Why?

Gabrielle, truthfully

GABRIELLE

I put my life in your hands because I was certain it was safe.

Xena, buying time, afraid to ask the question that hangs in the air

XENA

Do you know how to remove the pinch?

Gabrielle, taking Xena's hands into hers

GABRIELLE

Yes.

Xena, holding her breath, scared

XENA

Would you save yourself at the last second if I did not?

Gabrielle, honestly

GABRIELLE

No.

Her body grown heavy, Xena slumps and Gabrielle is there, hugging her fiercely, willing her strength. Athena pops in and embraces them both without a word.

Athena steps back after a moment and Gabrielle disengages and guides Xena to the oak. The Goddess sits with her back against the trunk. Gabrielle pulls Xena down. Gabrielle settles between Athena's legs, leaning back against the comfortable chest. Xena ends up stretched out on the ground, her head on Gabrielle's lap. Gabrielle strokes Xena's hair as Athena nuzzles the bard's hair and wraps her arms around her waist. The lovers are happy; Xena is happy.

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

We figured you could use a friend or two.

Xena, at peace, lovingly

XENA

I love you both.

Athena, affectionately

ATHENA

I love you too.

GABRIELLE

You told Athena there was a wall between us. There was not. There was the distance you created around you, walking alone and apart from the world. Then you did a very brave thing; you let a stranger touch your soul.

Xena, protesting

XENA

We don't know what happened in that clearing in Potidaea. Morpheus said …

Athena, wisely

ATHENA

It takes two to connect.

Gabrielle, with absolute conviction

GABRIELLE

It was mutual.

XENA

You saw all I was and still accepted me?

GABRIELLE

Do you comprehend the courage it took to take your black soul and walk into the blazing light?

Xena, lightly

XENA

In my defense, I was suicidal.

ATHENA

There goes that mystery.

Gabrielle, sincerely

GABRIELLE

Xena, you were born a hero. With every action you prove that to me, Athena, and others. I love you.

XENA

And the not so good ones?

Athena, philosophically

ATHENA

Every sheep has a bad day.

XENA

Or a few years.

GABRIELLE

Try eleven.

They all laugh, the easy joy of connected souls.

Xena, without thinking, overcome with emotion, confessing

XENA

You are the first people who loved me since Lyceus and whom I loved back.

Gabrielle, gently placing a hand on Xena's shoulder, which she covers with her own

GABRIELLE

We love you too.

Xena, tearfully

XENA

You and Athena are closer than family.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN KITCHEN – 12 YRS AGO/EARLY WINTER/LATE EVENING

Thirteen year old Xena is busy finishing the few baked goods that escaped serving to customers and she takes great pleasure in providing a home for the sweet orphans. This is a rare occasion indeed so she shoots suspicious glances at her mother who is looking to be busy for the sake of appearance and is definitely stalling. This does not prevent Xena from stuffing her face efficiently. Xena's motto is: what ends up in the stomach is mine. Close to six feet tall already, she has a whole lot of room and constant need for sustenance. And the lifelong love for the sugary kind.

Xena, worriedly running her mind over her sins for today, nervous

XENA

Mother, cut the suspense and tell me already. Am I in trouble?

Cyrene stops pacing with a sigh and takes a seat across from Xena.

Cyrene, hands reaching for honey goodness, deciding to tweak her daughter a bit

CYRENE

Trouble? Well, it involves you. I must say, this batch is delicious.

She smiles innocently at Xena while taking a bite.

Xena, sweating now, defiantly

XENA

You can't prove it was me.

CYRENE

Prove what?

Xena, relieved, triumphantly

XENA

Aha, knew it.

Cyrene, dropping the hammer, sternly

CYRENE

You raided the garden with Lyceus and there were witnesses. Further, you left the gate open in your haste to escape and goats got in. When we conclude this talk, you will receive your punishment. Not that it ever helps, but it makes me feel like I am doing something constructive about your behavior. Gods know which is thicker: you behind or your head. The cost of damages I had to pay means I can't afford wages to one server for a month. You will work her shift in addition to your normal chores.

Xena, stops eating and looks down on the table, chastised

XENA

I'm very sorry, mother.

Cyrene, reaching and lifting Xena's chin, looking at the tearing eyes

CYRENE

Sorry you got caught, sorry you did it, or sorry about the money?

Xena, crying now

XENA

I was hungry.

Cyrene, exasperated

CYRENE

We have food.

Xena, confessing hesitantly

XENA

… It is not the same.

Cyrene, understanding dawning

CYRENE

There is no thrill.

Xena nods miserably. Cyrene lets go of her chin and ruffles her hair.

Cyrene, pointing at the plate, teasing

CYRENE

You want to wrestle me for the remaining goodies? I promise an exciting fight.

Xena, indignant

XENA

Mother!

Cyrene, serious now

CYRENE

Eat. There will be no corporal punishment today but you start serving main room tomorrow.

Pause.

Cyrene, smiling

CYRENE

Lyceus told me you had a crush on our groom.

This is even worse. Xena turns red and makes a squeaking sound.

Cyrene, continuing

CYRENE

Your father is not here and it falls to me to arrange your marriage. You are of age; it is time you started your own life. Besides, it will keep you out of trouble.

Xena pushes the plate away and puts her head down on the table, covering with her arms. She is trying to disappear.

Cyrene, gently

CYRENE

Xena, look at me.

Xena reluctantly lifts her head.

Cyrene, affectionately

CYRENE

I love you; you are my favorite daughter. I and father have something special and you should have it too.

XENA

I am your only daughter and father left.

Cyrene, taking Xena's hand and placing it over her own heart, lovingly

CYRENE

Atrius is here. He will always be here.

Xena, stunned, whispering wonderingly

XENA

I want that too.

CYRENE

I talked to Sophus and he is smitten with you. True, took a while before he admitted it but I have my ways. I talked to his parents and we have a tentative agreement. You have a supervised date set for this week and he will join us for Solstice dinner. Then there is that village dance on New Year's Eve. By then you should know. Xena, it will be your choice and you happiness. You deserve no less.

Xena, taking her mother's hands into her own, shyly

XENA

Thank you.

Cyrene, locking eyes, promising Tartarus and damnation on disobedient daughter

CYRENE

Ground rules first. He temporarily stops working in the stables and you will not see him outside arranged dates and then only where I or his parents can watch you. I know you wild child and I don't want you swelling before the wedding.

Xena, shrinking under the gaze, agreeing quickly

XENA

Yes mother.

Cyrene, judging her sincerity, firmly

CYRENE

I mean it.

Xena, honestly

XENA

I promise. Nothing untoward will happen …

CYRENE

Good.

Xena, giggling

XENA

… until the wedding night.

Cyrene gives her a loaded and meaningful look and Xena, unable to suppress a guilty grin, pretends to be very involved in the contents of her plate.

Cyrene, showing that two can play that game

CYRENE

One more thing; we need to have the talk.

Xena, trying to think of what she missed, uncertain

XENA

The talk?

Cyrene, nodding, emphasizing the last word

CYRENE

The talk.

Xena, blushing and embarrassed

XENA

Oh, the talk.

CYRENE

Yes, the one about man and woman coming together. Now is a very good time.

Xena, gulping

XENA

Yes mother.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – STABLE – 12 YRS AGO/EARLY WINTER/EARLY MORNING

A very unhappy Lyceus finishes moving the horses to one side so he can clean the stalls on the other. He is about to begin loading a cart set in the middle for that purpose when the door opens and Xena enters.

Xena, walking over to him, smiling

XENA

Why, dear brother, are you not enjoying the beautiful day outside? Inhale deeply and smell the crisp, fresh air and feel the sweet breeze. On the other hand, inside here, not such a good idea; shame that.

Lyceus, not amused, grumbling

LYCEUS

I don't see why I have to muck around in this. We had a perfectly good stable boy. Until some wench made eyes at him.

Xena, smile fading, starting to stalk him

XENA

Lyceus, I love you, but you betrayed me. Even worse, mother and I had the talk.

Lyceus, being a wiseass, sarcastically

LYCEUS

Oh no, not the talk!

XENA

Oh yes. Today, you die.

Lyceus, deliberately provoking, playing the annoying little brother part to perfection

LYCEUS

Xena loves Sophus. She is a weak, foolish girl.

Xena, thru gritted teeth

XENA

You are dead, brother of mine.

Lyceus, teasing, with predictable results

LYCEUS

Wench, wench, wench, wench … ouch!

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN – 12 YRS AGO/EARLY WINTER/EARLY MORNING

Xena and Lyceus are covered head to boot in manure. She knocks on the side door leading to the kitchen and it opens after a few seconds. Cyrene does not seem surprised at the sight and odor that greets her. She is a strong woman; she has to be.

Cyrene, shaking her head, disapproving

CYRENE

Xena, Lyceus, for the love of Zeus, why can't you fight in the straw or dirt like normal children?! Go behind the inn and strip to the underwraps, I will bring the water to you. And I will not see either of you streak naked around or thru the inn, is that understood?

Xena & Lyceus, obediently

XENA & LYCEUS

Yes mother.

They head to back and Lyceus spots a ladder. He removes his clothes and waits till Xena is distracted. Spotting a perfect moment, he runs for it and climbs nimbly to the roof. Running to the top of the thatched surface he stops at the apex.

Lyceus, putting his hands to his mouth, announcing loudly thru improvised bullhorn

LYCEUS

XENA AND SOPHUS

SITTING IN A TREE

HOLDING HANDS

KISSING!!!

Cyrene exits the inn with two buckets of warm water and hears the commotion above her. She looks toward the sky and silently implores the Gods to give her patience. She sets her burden down and waits for the chaos to stop.

There is a chase ongoing on the roof, screams, shouts, and general indications of great battle being fought up there. VILLAGERS are starting to gather in front of the inn.

Cyrene, praying

CYRENE

Please Gods, don't let them fall and break anything.

There is a squeal from Lyceus that moves to the back of the inn and then long silence. Cyrene waits a moment and is about to pick up the buckets again when a loud sound of something striking flesh and an anguished cry comes from behind the inn. Naked Lyceus comes flying around the corner with Xena is hot pursuit, using his own underwraps to deliver stinging strikes on the BARE STUNT REAR. Cyrene closes her eyes and puts a hand over them for good measure. She is a very strong woman, she reminds herself.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – RIVER – 12 YRS AGO/EARLY WINTER/AFTERNOON

It is a nice day, unusually warm for this time of year. The wind carries a chill from the water but the sun softens the blow. Xena and Lyceus are lying on the bank, lazing the time away throwing rocks into the water. Belts with swords are within reach.

LYCEUS

Two dates and …?

Xena, examining her feeling, unsure

XENA

Butterflies in the stomach …

LYCEUS

Kissed him yet?

Xena, raising an eyebrow

XENA

With mother hen watching like a hawk? We held hands last time, it was nice.

LYCEUS

When was that?

Xena, smiling at the memory

XENA

Mother let me walk him home after Solstice dinner, with her chaperoning us.

Lyceus, grinning

LYCEUS

We both know who is going to be the man in your marriage.

XENA

She did not want him staying overnight. Felt things might happen.

Lyceus, innocently

LYCEUS

What things?

Xena, grinning

XENA

Talk things.

Lyceus, wryly

LYCEUS

Yes, can't have those talk things happening under our roof.

Xena, winking

XENA

That's what the guardian of my virtue thinks.

Lyceus, drawing out her name, knowing her, questioningly

LYCEUS

Xenaaaa?

Xena, sweetly

XENA

Yes brother?

LYCEUS

What are you planning?

Xena, angelically

XENA

Me?

Lyceus, not fooled, pressing

LYCEUS

Yes, you “me”.

Xena, mysteriously

XENA

Bad things, good things; depends.

Lyceus, strongly

LYCEUS

Tell me.

XENA

No.

Lyceus, pleadingly, beseeching her in a way he knows she cannot resist

LYCEUS

Brotherly love and best friends forever please?

Xena, wearing down, sounding more grumpy than accusing

XENA

You tattle.

Lyceus, sensing victory, giving her his best smile

LYCEUS

Not on this, this is between us.

Xena, intrigued

XENA

Why did you tell her?

Lyceus, practically

LYCEUS

I saw the two of you together and neither of you was going to do anything about it so I told mother. She always said we had a choice.

Xena, mock threateningly

XENA

You have anyone? I have ways of making you talk.

Lyceus, truthfully

LYCEUS

No, I am jealous of you. And him.

Xena, surprised

XENA

Why?

Lyceus, showing his feelings, sadly

LYCEUS

We are inseparable. That will change next year. I will lose you and it will hurt.

Xena, wistfully

XENA

True but I will still be here. It will be different, is all. So you really want to know?

LYCEUS

Yes.

Xena, admitting

XENA

I want to make sure.

LYCEUS

When?

XENA

Next month, once the server shifts are over.

Lyceus, looking at Xena closely, not judging, supporting her decision

LYCEUS

I have your back. Always.

Xena, sounding her fears

XENA

I want what mother and father have. I don't want to make a mistake.

Lyceus, warmly

LYCEUS

She loves him and speaks no ill word of him.

Xena, dreamily

XENA

That is the kind of love I want Lyceus.

Lyceus, deciding and committing to the cause

LYCEUS

Then you shall have it. Partners in talk crime?

XENA

Partners in talk crime. Let's spar.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN – 12 YRS AGO/EARLY WINTER/EARLY EVENING

Xena and Lyceus cut thru the square, dressed in tunics, with swords by the side. A group of THUGS is standing by the inn front door, evidently waiting for someone. Xena goes first and the THUGS eye her tall and muscular figure appreciatively. Xena is unconcerned; looking lecherously is the most trouble that Cortese's men cause in Amphipolis. Shockingly, one of the THUGS makes a move.

THUG, grabbing Xena by the arm

THUG

Hey sweet thing. I see you got a little stick by your side. How about you play with mine?

Before Xena can respond, Lyceus shoves the THUG holding her and puts a hand on his sword.

Lyceus, angry

LYCEUS

Get your hands off her, pig!

Another group enters the square, few more THUGS and their leader, who is starting to move faster. The THUG LEADER watches a THUG grab Lyceus and another THUG punch him in the stomach. THUG LEADER starts running toward the scuffle.

THUG LEADER, yelling

THUG LEADER

Hey! HEY! HEY!!!

Xena is about to get involved as the THUG that started this is preparing to hit Lyceus again when she notices an angry THUG LEADER running towards his men. She decides to wait and see.

Lyceus goes down after the second hit and the two THUGS prepare to kick him. They don't get the chance. The THUG LEADER yanks one THUG by the back of his armor and violently drives him into the ground. THUG LEADER turns the other THUG around and slugs him hard, sending him crashing into the THUG already sprawled on the ground. THUG LEADER leans over the fallen THUGS.

THUG LEADER, threatening and menacing

THUG LEADER

Cortese's orders: no touching the locals. You want skirts, pay for them. Don't shit where you eat.

THUG LEADER, pointing to few THUGS from the original group

THUG LEADER

You, you, and you, take them back to the camp, ten lashes each.

ESCORT THUGS

Yes sir!

THUG LEADER, extending a hand to Lyceus

THUG LEADER

My apologies.

Lyceus, accepting the help, getting to his feet

LYCEUS

I'm fine. Thanks.

THUG LEADER, to Xena

THUG LEADER

I am sorry about the behavior of my men, it won't happen again. We have to repeat the lesson every so often, you understand.

Xena nods and the THUG LEADER and remaining THUGS enter the inn, eager to spend money on mead and home cooking.

Xena, teasing

XENA

Pig?

LYCEUS

You want creative insults, find a wordsmith, or better yet, a bard. I just hit people.

Xena, laughing

XENA

Me and you both.

She gives him a supportive shoulder to lean on and they enter the inn.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – VILLAGE SQUARE – 12 YEARS AGO/NEW YEAR'S EVE

The entire village population is here, except for the youngest and few oldest. The VILLAGERS easily mix with Cortese, his second Malik and two score THUGS. None of the THUGS are wearing weapons or armor. Tables laden with food and drink line the edges of the square. The large open space is full of dancing pairs. The local VILLAGE BAND is better than average and the party is in full swing. The temple is open and lit inside, the altars loaded with fresh offerings. It is time of celebration and plenty.

Xena and Sophus finish the dance where they manage not to step on each other's feet too much. Lyceus grins at Xena before song ends and then distracts Cyrene. She acknowledges the signal that the coast is clear for next few minutes with a nod. During the break, Xena and Sophus quickly make their way behind the barn, holding hands. They stop, unsure what to do next or who should start. They are breathing hard; not from the dance or walk, but something else. And nothing has happened yet.

Xena, realizing she will have to take the lead, shakily

XENA

Do you want to kiss?

Sophus, shyly

SOPHUS

… Yes.

Xena, being taller than Sophus tries to figure the way to make this work as he just closes his eyes and waits. She closes her eyes and leans in. They bump noses a few times before finally adjusting their bodies and meeting their lips. It is a timidly nice kiss and then they break. They look at each other bashfully.

Xena, tingling with excitement

XENA

That was … pleasant. Again?

Sophus just nods, lost in her and in the moment. Their second kiss is longer and already more practiced.

Not sure of the passage of time, they separate and make their way back to the party. They merge into the crowd and resume dancing. Just in time, as Cyrene stands up and looks over the square. She spots her tall daughter easily and satisfied that all is well, takes her seat again. Xena smiles at Lyceus and he smiles back. The plan is working perfectly and Xena and Sophus look forward to more practice; at dancing too.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – RIVER – 11 YEARS AGO/MID WINTER/MORNING

Lyceus passes trees and bushes on his way along the riverbank. He is deep in thought and does not notice two THUGS step onto the path. Only when they draw swords does he stop. They are the ones that beat him up last month.

THUG #1, showing his poor collection of teeth, smiling

THUG #1

You owe us boy.

THUG #2, snarling

THUG #2

Ten lashes but we will settle for your head.

Lyceus draws his sword and gets in a stance. Both THUGS realize they are dealing with a swordsman of some skill.

THUG #1, deciding valor is overrated, putting away his sword

THUG #1

You ain't worth it.

THUG #2 spits at Lyceus feet and puts away his weapon as well.

THUG #2

Peasant trash, one day when you least expect it …

THUG #2 makes a throat slashing gesture with his finger. He just starts to move his hand down when Xena strikes, running him thru with her sword. THUG #1 whirls around and raises his hands. Xena rips her swords out of THUG #2.

Lyceus, screaming

LYCEUS

NO!!!

Xena's sword bites deeply into THUG #1's neck and the blood marks and stains her permanently. She removes it roughly and stands before her brother, rage burning in the eyes. Then they blink and she is a fourteen year old girl again, scared and in shock.

Lyceus, despairing

LYCEUS

What have you done?! They were unarmed and leaving!

He looks like he has seen a monster and Xena realizes he is looking at her. She cries out pitifully and runs past him, away from the pain. She can hears his voice calling her but she runs blindly ahead, down the path. She stumbles onto the road and runs right into four more THUGS, likely heading to town. They take one look at her and the crimson sword and start to draw their weapons.

Xena knows that if she runs away, they will find the bodies and connect her. She attacks, surprise on her side. The first THUG has no chance, sword still sheathed. She kicks the second THUG, breaking his knee. This makes is two versus one and with adrenaline surging thru her veins she overwhelms them easily.

Breathing hard, Lyceus runs onto the road and stops. Three more bodies litter the dirt and he watches as Xena coldly kills the THUG with injured leg, making the grim total six.

Lyceus, horrified

LYCEUS

Xena, are you mad?! Stop killing!!!

Xena, not listening, starting to mechanically drag a body off the road, numbly

XENA

Have to hide them.

Lyceus moves in front of her and puts hands on her shoulders, halting her. The eyes that look back at him are haunted and lost. His heart breaks at the pain in them.

Lyceus, gently but firmly

LYCEUS

Listen to me. This is not a game or a prank. You took six lives and you don't get to stash the bodies and pretend nothing happened. Cortese will come looking for them. Xena, you murdered two men and then killed four more to cover it up. I love you but I don't understand you. This … this is not my sister.

Lyceus points at the dead men, speaking the last. Xena makes a choking noise and releases her grip on the dead THUG. She drops the sword she still wields and starts crying. Lyceus tearfully hugs his sobbing sister and the siblings comfort one another.

Xena, after regaining her composure, accepting responsibility

XENA

We throw them in the river and then we go tell mother what happened.

Lyceus, softly

LYCEUS

Thank you for doing the right thing.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN KITCHEN – 11 YEARS AGO/MID WINTER/LATE MORNING

Cyrene is busy preparing lunch when the door opens and Xena enters. She is wearing a different tunic than this morning and her hair is damp. She is holding something behind her back. Her eyes are red and she is hurting.

Cyrene does not ask any questions, just takes her daughter in her embrace and holds her tightly, giving her all the time she needs. When Xena, with slight stiffening, signals enough, she steps back.

Xena walks by her and sets a bloody tunic on the table. It is the one she left in this morning. From the sound and appearance, something metallic is wrapped inside it. Eyes filled with sorrow look back at Cyrene.

Cyrene, scared out of her mind, voicing her worst nightmare, moaning

CYRENE

Gods no, not Lyceus …

Xena, quickly reassuring

XENA

Unharmed. Open it.

Cyrene lifts the fabric and reveals a bloody sword. Xena's. Cyrene picks up a cloth sack and shoves everything in there.

Cyrene, shoving the sack into Xena's chest, commanding

CYRENE

Your room, now. Lock the door and wait for me.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – XENA'S ROOM – 11 YEARS AGO/MID WINTER/AFTERNOON

The room smells of vomit. The shutters are closed and Xena is stretched on her longer than standard bed. She looks pale and exhausted. She closes her eyes and tries to get some rest, only to have them spring open when the images come back. She leans over the edge of bed and retches into the chamber pot. There is nothing left in her stomach as she dry heaves.

There is a knock on the door.

CYRENE

Open the door child, it's me.

Xena gets off the bed weakly and plods to the door. She opens it and stumbles and her mother's strong arms guide her back to bed. Cyrene goes to bolt the door and returns. She tucks Xena in and brushes the sweaty bangs from the face. Cyrene sits on the edge of the bed, stroking Xena's hair soothingly.

Cyrene, deeply concerned

CYRENE

What happened this morning?

Xena, confessing

XENA

Two of Cortese's men threatened Lyceus. I thought he was in danger and I killed them. Then I run into another group and … four more died.

Pause.

Xena, pitifully, curling into a ball

XENA

Mother, it is tearing me apart. I puked my guts out and still there is something trying to get out.

Cyrene, sharing Xena's anguish, comfortingly

CYRENE

Shh, drink some water.

Pause.

Cyrene, helping Xena sit up, handing her a cup

CYRENE

Did you believe they were going to harm Lyceus?

Xena, quietly

XENA

Yes.

CYRENE

The other men, was it really necessary?

Xena, self-hating, ashamed

XENA

No, I run away because I could not stand the way Lyceus looked at me. Mother, he tried to stop me and I took the life anyway. In his eyes I became a violent stranger and bloodthirsty monster. He looks up and worships me and I show him evil in reward for his faith and love. His condemnation hurt badly and the coward in me fled. I had to send more souls to Hades because I could not face what I became. A murderer. And when they died, that confirmed it. I am one.

Cyrene, taking Xena's face in her hands

CYRENE

Xena, please …

Xena, viciously

XENA

You know what I am, don't you? You always knew. That is why father left; he suspected what I would become. The villagers whisper behind my back and they fear me. You hate me, Toris hates me, and now Lyceus does too. Say it; admit you hate me!

Cyrene, calmly

CYRENE

You done with self-pity?

Xena, screaming

XENA

Leave! I hate you!!!

Cyrene maintains her hold on Xena's face and places a tender kiss on her head.

Cyrene, lovingly

CYRENE

I love you Xena, my beautiful daughter. No matter what you do or who you become, carry in your heart the trust that mother will always love you.

Cyrene hugs Xena and holds her closely. The fight goes out of Xena. Sobs shake the exhausted body which desperately clings to her mother.

Cyrene, warmly and convincingly

CYRENE

Xena, all your life you protected your younger brother. I can't and won't ask you to stop now. You did the right thing defending him and I forgive you.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN HALLWAY – 11 YRS AGO/MID WINTER/AFTERNOON

Toris lifts his ear from the door to Xena's room and quietly creeps away. He enters his room and comes out with a few bundles and a saddlebag.

Toris, looking at Xena's room, with distaste

TORIS

Freak.

He goes out the back door.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. CORTESE'S CAMP – COMMAND HUT – 11 YEARS AGO/MID WINTER/NOON

Cortese is enjoying lunch and studying the map, deciding which village to hit next. There is a knock on the door.

CORTESE

Enter!

The door opens and Malik comes inside.

Cortese, briskly

CORTESE

What news?

Malik, hating to be the bearer of bad news, reluctantly

MALIK

Amphipolis detachment sent a message: six of the men went missing.

Cortese, frowning, worriedly

CORTESE

We had trouble there recently?

Malik, recalling

MALIK

Two of your men beat up a local last year and got punished. They are among the missing.

Cortese, puzzled

CORTESE

That does not make sense. The villagers know we take care of our own and clean up any mess. There is no need for revenge.

Malik, pleased to offer a solution

MALIK

Right, thought the same and then we got a lucky break. There is a boy here to see you, says he knows what happened to them.

CORTESE

What is our standard reward for information?

MALIK

Fifty drachma.

Cortese, gesturing

CORTESE

Double it and bring it here from the strongbox. I like people who show initiative and solve my problems for me. Not to mention save a trip to Amphipolis, not that is necessarily a bad thing. The men are very fond of the village; few already retired and others plan to settle there in the future. We get quality recruits and Cyrene's cooking agrees with me. Last thing I want to do upset the locals. The arrangement we have is too good. Send him in and go get the money.

Malik nods and leaves.

CUT TO:

INT. CORTESE'S CAMP – COMMAND HUT – 11 YRS AGO/MID WINTER/NOON

A youth of about seventeen-eighteen enters the structure without knocking. He is six feet tall, slender and hardly muscular, unusual for a peasant defined by hard work. He looks soft and Cortese tries to hide his contempt for him. All the weasels look the same, he thinks. Must be the eyes, he adds.

Toris, stopping right after entry, nervously

TORIS

I want your word that only the killer will be punished.

Cortese, amazed

CORTESE

One person is responsible?

Toris, insisting firmly

TORIS

Your word.

Cortese, seriously, taking an oath

CORTESE

I, Cortese swear on Zeus and the eleven Olympians that only the guilty party will be taken from the village.

Toris, judges his sincerity, accepts it, and thus satisfied continues, coldly

TORIS

My mad sister butchered your soldiers. Her name is Xena. My advice, bring nets, this animal bites.

Cortese, surprised

CORTESE

You would betray your own kin?

Toris, evenly

TORIS

It is personal and she is a mindless beast. This ensures the safety of my family and the village.

Malik knocks and enters, tossing a heavy bag to Cortese.

CORTESE

I promise no harm will come to those you love.

Pause.

Cortese, throwing the money at Toris' feet

CORTESE

Your reward, one hundred drachma.

TORIS

Not doing it for money.

CORTESE

Nonsense, you earned it.

Toris, stubbornly

TORIS

I don't want it.

Cortese, letting his warlord side show, growling

CORTESE

Boy, take your blood money or be buried with it. Debt is paid, don't insult me.

Toris grabs the money and runs out. We have a confirmed weasel, thinks Cortese; he smiles, amused.

Cortese, to Malik, good humor gone quickly, ordering

CORTESE

Malik, take a score of men and bring me Xena, Cyrene's daughter. Do it fast and clean, don't fight the villagers, just get her and get out. Present the charges to the village elder and make sure to tell him we have a witness. Be firm and polite. If it gets ugly, withdraw and I will handle it personally.

Malik, confirming he understood, nodding

MALIK

No blood, all proper, we make a claim and take what is ours. Things go south, we go back. I will pick the men with the best temperament for this job.

Pause.

Malik, curious and apprehensive

MALIK

What are you going to do with her?

Cortese, grinning

CORTESE

Recruit her, what else? She owes me the labor of six men and I always collect. Dismissed.

Malik bows and leaves.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – OUTSKIRTS – 11 YEARS AGO/MID WINTER/LATE MORNING

Xena, Lyceus and AMPHIPOLIS MILITIA are facing the VILLAGE ELDER.

VILLAGE ELDER

We got word from scouts that a score of men under Malik are making their way to our village. Four archers and Cortese's second mounted, rest on foot. You know the village council plan: we talk and only ambush if things go south. The hunting party is behind them, they get the strugglers. I rather not do this, Cortese is good to us, but we will not give one of our own willingly. Yes, even Xena. If he wants justice, it will be in our court.

Pause.

VILLAGE ELDER, to Xena, sternly

VILLAGE ELDER

You, control yourself. You will be on trial for murder either way. With us, you might not hang. Mark my words: you will pay for your crimes.

Pause.

VILLAGE ELDER, to AMPHIPOLIS MILITIA

VILLAGE ELDER

Remember: whatever happens, she comes back in chains.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – BRIDGE – 11 YEARS AGO/MID WINTER/AFTERNOON

Xena sulks in a heavy tunic; she stands next to the VILLAGE ELDER. Together, they watch the approaching men.

The THUGS enter the bridge and stop at the end. The ARCHERS stay mounted, but Malik dismounts. He makes his way to the front and walks to the VILLAGE ELDER. A THUG accompanies him. Behind them, the first row of THUGS readies the nets.

Malik, formally

MALIK

Greetings honored elder. Xena killed six of our men in cold blood and we have a witness. Cortese extends his warmest regards to the Amphipolis and its people and wishes no harm to any. He merely asks that you turn over the one responsible so that justice can prevail. Our interests, as it happens, match on this.

Xena openly sneers at him and Malik ignores her.

VILLAGE ELDER

The agreement is simple: each side takes care of theirs. Xena has a long history of violence and she is our problem. Rest assured we will not be lenient. She might wish she was dead when her punishment is done.

MALIK

I cannot change your mind? Next time Cortese will bring everyone. He truly desires to avoid bloodshed. You have his word that Xena will be treated fairly.

VILLAGE ELDER

From vandalism to assault, her history is long and troubled. It is our fault it got to this point. No more.

MALIK

You know what he will do?

VILLAGE ELDER, resignedly

VILLAGE ELDER

We accept.

Malik considers this development carefully as the THUGS and VILLAGE MILITIA grow uneasy with the long discussion. They cannot hear what is going on and they become restless. Xena senses the discontent and realizes that she has very few options left. The best she can expect from the village court is heavy lashings. There will not be any mercy for one as her. Cortese will probably hand her to his men and Xena heard enough talk about other villages to realize that is a fate worse than death.

Xena's eyes narrow and a mask solidifies her face. Her hand closes tightly around a small dagger she smuggled. She knows what she has to do. She has to kill again.

Malik, conciliatorily

MALIK

Village trial it is. We demand swift and sure justice and Cortese himself will prosecute. Is that acceptable?

VILLAGE ELDER, relieved

VILLAGE ELDER

The village council decides her punishment?

MALIK

Yes. We present our case, you defend and you judge; we administer the verdict. You swear on the Gods that you will be fair and impartial.

VILLAGE ELDER

There will be no favoritism.

Abruptly, Xena smashes her head into the THUG's face, crushing his nose in a spray of blood. Her dagger sinks into Malik's neck and she moves behind the VILLAGE ELDER as three arrows impact his chest; she catches the fourth. She throws him to the ground and grabs the THUG's sword. Swift kick pushes him back and leaves her with a sword in hand. The remaining THUGS attack and the AMPHIPOLIS MILITIA spring the trap, preventing them from leaving the bridge. Sensing the futility of targeting Xena, the ARCHERS focus on AMPHIPOLIS MILITIA and use their higher vantage point to good effect. Few AMPHIPOLIS MILITIA go down from arrows before the HUNTING PARTY closes in and unleashes on the ARCHERS. Three go down immediately and the other, knowing he is mortally wounded anyway, takes his revenge. He finds the boy his two friends described and repays their cruel whipping and senseless death.

The AVENGING ARCHER aims a perfect shot and releases seconds before his back is punctured again and Hades takes him for judgment.

Xena, keeping an eye on the ARCHERS, sees the look of recognition and a smile on the AVENGING ARCHER's lips. She follows his eyes to Lyceus and senses the release of the arrow. She shoves thru the crowd knowing she will be too late but trying anyway. Few feet away the arrow hits Lyceus and strikes him dead instantly. By the time Xena catches his falling body, he is gone. The last light fades from the eyes that look back at her. And Xena dies with him.

All her life she held back, measured her strength, hid her divine heritage, caged the beast as well she could. She followed Lyceus as surely as he followed her. The arrow took more than his life; it took her soul. The humanity goes out of Xena's eyes and the scream that emerges from her throat is feral. The THUGS' heads turn to her and there is fear in their eyes.

Xena charges at the THUGS, shattering bodies in her wake. The THUGS are no longer facing a young woman. She is an animal unleashed, humanity gone, primal remaining. The rage and hate give her strength, wrap her in comfort, and take away the pain. AMPHIPOLIS MILITIA scramble back and get out of the way lest they too fall to the savage fury that is Xena. The half score of THUGS left are no match for the inhuman power and constitution behind the skill. She feels nothing, cuts, gashes, and blows having no effect on her as she cuts her way thru the THUGS. Before long, most are dead and she finishes the wounded. Xena then walks the battlefield, intent on leaving no survivors behind.

Xena makes her way to the other end of the bridge. She walks to the dead AVENGING ARCHER that claimed her brother and start hacking him to pieces. AMPHIPOLIS MILITIA look away from the sight and a few throw up. Most will have nightmares about the scene and the sounds in particular will hunt them forever. Xena rips into the body, howling in pain. She is there for a long time.

CUT TO:

INT. CORTESE'S CAMP – COMMAND HUT – 11 YRS AGO/MID WINTER/NIGHT

A shadow enters the building and moves towards Cortese snoring in drunken stupor on the bed. A hand covers his mouth and pins him down to bed with inhuman strength. He opens his startled eyes and looks into Tartarus itself. A dagger nicks his arm and withdraws, leaving pain and blood behind it.

Xena, coldly yet oddly enough promising Elysium

XENA

We have all night lover.

Cortese screams against her palm and the white teeth above him shine brightly in a cruel smile.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – GRASS FIELD/CAMP – NIGHT

Xena is sitting on the log, flanked by Gabrielle and Athena. She comes to the end of her tale and the only sound is the dry wood whispering to flames. Xena gives a small notion of getting away and is surrounded immediately by limbs.

Gabrielle, realization striking her, wonderingly

GABRIELLE

In all those years …

Athena, unconsciously sharing the connection, finishing Gabrielle's thoughts, quietly

ATHENA

… you did not grieve for your brother.

Xena, walls crumbling, holding together by a thread, admitting sadly

XENA

No. Not a single tear.

Strong arms pin Xena in strength and hands support her in comforting and soothing motion. She hangs her head and only her iron will is stopping her from keening.

Gabrielle, affectionately, tearfully

GABRIELLE

I sing of Lyceus, my brother, my love.

Xena loses the fight and the past comes rushing back. Sharp sound of unbearable loss escapes from deep within her chest and pierces the air. She is back in Amphipolis eleven years ago.

CUT TO:

I, LEGEND - CLIP

Few feet away the arrow hits Lyceus and strikes him dead instantly. By the time Xena catches his falling body, he is gone. The last light fades from the eyes that look back at her. And Xena dies with him.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – GRASS FIELD/CAMP – NIGHT

Xena returns to the present, but her eyes still see the past. She stares at Lyceus lying in her arms and the pain is worse as it was before. Except now it is different and she is not alone. Two loving souls cradle her, not judging, not demanding; just there. And in the comfort of their love she chooses to grieve.

Athena, softly and lovingly

ATHENA

Weep for Lyceus, Xena.

And Xena does.

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page