Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Callisto”

Episode 29

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. VILLAGE – VILLAGE SQUARE - MORNING

The VILLAGERS are herded into the square. Xena's look-alike makes an appearance, obviously in charge. She was born and died Callisto.

Callisto walks into the crowd of VILLAGERS looking for the right child, the one that resembles her when she was young. Swift punches and kicks correct those VILLAGERS who do not move out of her way fast enough. After a time she finds what she is looking for.

Callisto, pointing at a GIRL and ordering

CALLISTO

Bring her.

The MERCENARIES know the procedure and quickly extract the GIRL.

Callisto, to VILLAGERS, commanding

CALLISTO

Anyone related to this girl raise your hand.

The MERCENARIES efficiently move them off to the side.

Callisto, coldly

CALLISTO

Kill the rest.

The MERCENARIES quickly slaughter the remaining VILLAGERS and start looting the bodies and empty houses. Few MERCENARIES stay behind to guard the survivors.

Callisto, to GIRL, impatiently

CALLISTO

Which is your house?

The GIRL points to the wooden structure with a trembling hand.

Callisto, to MERCENARIES, cheerfully

CALLISTO

You know what I like. Make me happy, boys.

The remaining VILLAGERS are escorted into the house. Door and windows are barred and straw bales placed around the structure. Several MERCENARIES approach with lit torches. The GIRL screams and trashes against the hold of the SECOND IN COMMAND when he bring her to Callisto. Letting go, he shoves her towards Callisto who backhands the shrieking GIRL and she goes down. Callisto picks the GIRL up roughly by her hair and makes her face the house with her entire extended family inside. Callisto presses against the GIRL's back and holds the now quietly sobbing GIRL against her own chest, arms tightly wrapped around the child.

Callisto, kissing the GIRL's hair tenderly, soothingly

CALLISTO

Hold still, little Callisto. The screams don't stop, ignore them. Embrace this moment for it will become your sole companion: the dream of Xena, the dream of the death of your family, and the dream of your revenge.

Callisto extends an arm and her SECOND IN COMMAND hands her the torch.

Callisto, eyes shining with madness

CALLISTO

It is Xena who holds the torch. It is Xena decides their fate. It is Xena who has all the power.

Callisto does a perfect Xena yell imitation as she tosses the torch at the straw and the fire greedily devours the offering. Additional torches land on the roof and around the other walls.

Callisto, whispering sweetly in the GIRL's ear, smiling

CALLISTO

I am Xena.

Callisto listens as the screams of the burning people fill the air. When they stop, she sighs and shoves the GIRL to the ground, where she curls into a weeping, shaking ball.

Callisto, to her SECOND IN COMMAND, sharply

CALLISTO

Theodorus!

THEODORUS

Yes Xena?

Callisto, looking at the GIRL with indifference, her own thirst quenched, bored

CALLISTO

Little piggy ate her fill. Gather the men, we ride.

CUT TO:

EXT. CIRRA – VILLAGE SQUARE - 8 YEARS AGO/AFTERNOON

Xena stands before VILLAGE ELDER. The rest of VILLAGERS are hiding in their homes, except for the few VILLAGERS that were caught outside at the time of the raid. Among them is a blonde GIRL of about twelve with a basket of freshly cut flowers.

Xena's SOLDIERS are spread strategically throughout Cirra, blocking the escape and watching the houses. She grunts in satisfaction and smiles coldly at Marcus, her second in command, who drops his eyes quickly, unable to meet her eyes. He will make a fine lieutenant. In fact, it is about time to start on her next project.

She turns her attention to the VILLAGE ELDER cowering before her.

Xena, demanding

XENA

Half of food supplies and three young male recruits.

VILLAGE ELDER

Have mercy, O great and powerful Xena. The winter was harsh and we need hands in the fields for planting and harvest. We can spare a fraction of that and no bodies.

Xena, menacing

XENA

Are you negotiating with me?

Pause.

Xena, turning her head, to Marcus

XENA

Marcus, is he negotiating with me?

MARCUS

Yes, warrior princess.

XENA

Thought so.

She looks at the houses and picks one at random.

Xena, pointing at the structure, commanding

XENA

Burn it!

Marcus and few SOLDIERS run up and bar the doors. They set the house on fire as the screams and crying of women and children sound from inside. Other SOLDIERS move to help restrain the group of VILLAGERS in the square.

Xena grabs the tunic of the VILLAGE ELDER with one hand and brings him close to her face.

Xena, coldly

XENA

Still want to negotiate?

The VILLAGE ELDER faints.

The GIRL's right hand reaches inside the basket and brings out a knife. The SOLDIERS watching them don't consider her a threat and don't watch her closely, if at all. She dodges them easily and runs straight at Xena. She sees her drop the VILLAGE ELDER, who hits the ground, undoubtedly dead. “Monster”, she cries silently and raises her arm to strike the back.

Xena turns and grabs the GIRL's wrist as she laughs in her face. The sharp blade falls from GIRL's hand gone suddenly numb.

Xena, her mood improved, appraising the GIRL

XENA

Amazons pay a premium for fire. What's your name?

GIRL, defiantly, hate in her eyes

GIRL

Callisto.

Xena, to VILLAGERS, sweeping her pitiless gaze over them, loudly

XENA

One of you had the insolence to attack me. This will not go unpunished.

Xena knocks Callisto down with a swift blow and cuts the throat of the VILLAGE ELDER with the captured knife as the dazed girl watches in horror. Xena throws the twitching body face first at Callisto, forcing her to witness the last moments of a man's life.

XENA, to Marcus, commanding

XENA

Put the whole village in chains then torch it. Leave my banner as a warning.

CUT:

INT. ARMY CAMP – COMMAND TENT - 8 YEARS AGO/NIGHT

Xena enters her tent and looks at a small, bloody body curled on the bottom of an iron cage in a corner. What to do, what to do?

Decision reached, she crosses over to the cage and unlocks it the door, swinging it open.

Callisto wakes up and presses her back against the bars opposite the entrance. She glares at Xena, but there is another emotion overtaking it. Fear; Xena likes it.

XENA

You are weak Callisto and you family died because of you. Who is strong?

The girl is too scared to make a sound. Alone, in unknown place, with this demon, the last of her hope leaves her. Tears run down her face and she starts crying.

XENA

You are my slave Callisto and I own you completely. Who is strong?

Sobs shake Callisto and the girl wets herself.

Xena, sniffing, cruelly

XENA

You are a lowly animal lying in its own filth Callisto. Who is strong?

Xena grabs the girl by the hair and drags her out on the floor. She shows Callisto the knife she took from her. There is dried blood on it, same as covers the girl.

Xena, with disgust

XENA

You lost your weapon Callisto and a man bled dry on your steel. Who is strong?

Xena throws the knife near the girl's head and Callisto flinches away from it. She makes no move to pick it up. Xena moves to her and crouches down, looking directly into Callisto's eyes. She is happy with what she sees there, but gives no indication of her contentment. Almost there, thinks Xena.

XENA

Callisto, you pick up your weapon and have it taken away again, someone from your village will die like before. Who is strong?

Callisto looks at the weapon, then at Xena. She knows there is no escape and she is at the mercy of Xena. She can't fight her and she can't run away. Only thing she can do is survive and grow strong. One day she will have her revenge.

Callisto, putting her head down, mumbling

CALLISTO

You are.

Xena, jerking the girl's head up, forcing Callisto to look at her, demanding

XENA

Who is strong, Callisto?

Callisto, fear leaving, fire coming back, spitting out

CALLISTO

You are.

Xena brings their faces inches apart.

Xena, growling

XENA

I am Xena. Who is strong and who is weak, Callisto?

Callisto, giving Xena what she wants, admitting grudgingly

CALLISTO

Xena is strong and Callisto is weak.

XENA

Remember that.

Time to seal this bargain, thinks Xena. She releases Callisto and stands up. Extending to her full, impressive height, she towers over the girl and makes sure she has her eyes and full attention.

Xena, insidiously

XENA

Do you want to be strong like me?

Callisto nods curtly and Xena picks the knife from the ground. She goes to get a waterskin and a loaf of bread from the table. She comes back and hands them to the girl then makes a motion with her head towards the cage. Understanding the order, Callisto quickly returns to the safety of the cage and sits down in it. Xena walks over and locks the door. She goes to the tent entrance flap and looks back. Callisto is not eating or drinking, she is looking defiantly at Xena. Xena's caged animal is ready to bite.

Xena, under her breath as she leaves, pleased

XENA

Never let hate go to waste.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – PRE DAWN

The world slowly turns from shades of black to color. Xena sits up and stretches, cool dawn air waking her up with an explosion of goose bumps. She runs her hands thru her hair and turns her attention to her companions. Her movement does not go unnoticed. Gabrielle gently disengages her limbs and trunk from under Athena and pokes her head out. She grins at Xena and her bed hair and then turns her attention back to her wife. Propped on an elbow, she gazes at the sleeping Goddess for a minute before leaning in close and trailing kisses on a bare shoulder. Athena instinctively responds by turning around to face her and Gabrielle kisses each of Athena's closed eyelids tenderly and with greatest care. Athena's eyes flutter open and she smiles at Gabrielle as tears form and fall like crystals.

Gabrielle, gazing with deep affection into those teary eyes, lovingly

GABRIELLE

Blessed the immortal Goddess is she,

The woman who fondly sits by me,

And hears and sees me, all the while,

Softly speaks and sweetly smiles.

 

It was this deprived my soul of rest,

And raised such tumults in my breast,

For, while I gazed, in transport tossed,

My breath was gone, my voice was lost.

 

My bosom glowed; the subtle flame

Ran quick through all my vital frame,

Over my dim eyes a darkness hung,

My ears with hollow murmurs rung.

 

In dewy damps my limbs were chilled,

My blood with gentle horrors thrilled,

My feeble pulse forgot to play,

I fainted, sunk, and died away.

 

Gabrielle closes her eyes with a sigh and Athena draws her close and kisses her. She gazes at Gabrielle's face with love, willing her soul to open. Gabrielle's hears her silent plea and opens her eyes, sharing the contact fully, melding into one.

Xena feels a crushing weight on her chest, suffocating her breath and yet can't draw her eyes away from the scene at the other side of campfire. She knows she should not look and listen but she can't help it. Later, she will imagine Gabrielle waking her up with a kiss and a poem. Life is what you make of it.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – DAWN

Xena and Athena sit by the blazing fire, enjoying hot tea. Gabrielle went hunting and gathering, easily falling back into routine after months in Amphipolis. Spring is here and they are on the road again.

Xena, conversationally

XENA

How is married life?

Athena, dreamily

ATHENA

Elysium. Word of advice, marry an artist.

Xena, grinning

XENA

That was my plan all along until some wicked Goddess stole my bard.

Athena, returning the grin, defiantly

ATHENA

Sorry, keeping.

XENA

Good for you.

Pause.

Xena, standing up, offering a hand

XENA

Want to spar?

ATHENA

Gabrielle will feel left out.

XENA

Sharing is caring.

Athena, accepting the hand, pointedly

ATHENA

As long as your sharing does not pass caring.

Xena, smiling

XENA

Can't promise that. Bard should know better than to leave her nubile wife with a warlord.

ATHENA

Fair enough. Do your best.

XENA

Oh, I will.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST – AFTERNOON

Xena and Gabrielle are walking thru the sparse woods. Xena is deep in thought and Gabrielle is busy torturing Mother Nature by attacking various bits of greenery with her staff. Half practice, half fun and all bard. Xena breaks from her musings and watches her with a small smile. Then her mind turns to this morning and she knows she must have something as well. Question is, how?

Xena, carefully

XENA

The poem this morning …

Gabrielle, eyes narrowing, suspecting bad intentions, wearily

GABRIELLE

Sappho.

Xena, rolling the dice, pleading

XENA

Gabrielle, can I have one?

Gabrielle, sternly

GABRIELLE

Not appropriate, those are love poems.

Xena, contritely and tearfully

XENA

I'm sorry.

Gabrielle hears the pain in her voice and looks Xena in the eyes. There is genuine anguish there and it clenches her heart with an ache. It would do to give Xena a small reassuring gesture, nothing significant, few words. Better yet …

Gabrielle stops Argo and digs a blank scroll, ink, and quill. She uses Argo as a board, which the horse protests, knowing there is a sweet apple bribe in her future. Gabrielle gives Argo a “you are shameless” look and the horse contently puts her head down and starts grazing. Humans are so easy.

Gabrielle quickly writes several lines in Latin in her neat hand and shakes it to dry. Unlike most women in Greece, Xena reads and writes several languages, more than the bard in fact. Gabrielle puts away the writing supplies and fishes out a nice juicy apple. She hands it to Argo and the horse gazes at it for a second, as if considering the offering, and then with a “oh well, if you insist” look eats it. Xena laughs. Gabrielle pats Argo's neck for a good measure and scratches her ears, the horse now very happy to have served as a writing desk.

Xena's bad mood vanishes as quickly as shadows when the clouds part and she eagerly takes the scroll from the bard. She does not need her to read it, Gabrielle's voice whispers in her head already. As a fact, she is happy the bard did not say it out loud for it gives Xena a tangible memento of them.

Gabrielle, firmly, with finality

GABRIELLE

We will not speak of this again.

Xena, clutching her prize to her chest, gratefully

XENA

Thank you.

Gabrielle nods and mounts Argo in one smooth motion. Not sparing a glance at admiring Xena, she takes off for a bit of fun. Her laughter rings to Xena as they dodge the trees and slowly fade from sight.

Xena, taking advantage of privacy, checks her surroundings. Satisfied, she sits down on the ground and reverently unrolls the scroll. She is not expecting much, something light and airy, inconsequential even. She forgets this is Gabrielle, who does not do things halfway. Does she ever.

Xena, reading the scroll

GABRIELLE

She is more than a hero,
she is a Goddess in my eyes -
the woman who is allowed
to sit beside me - she

who listens intimately
to the sweet murmur of
my voice, the enticing

laughter that makes my own

heart beat fast. If I meet
her suddenly, I can't

speak - my tongue is broken;
a thin flame runs under
my skin; seeing nothing,

hearing only my own ears
drumming, I drip with sweat;
trembling shakes my body

and I turn paler than
dry grass. At such times
death isn't far from me.

 

Xena sits there with her heart hammering away and then remembers to breathe. She reads the poem a few times and only then allows herself to believe that it is real. She kisses the words and rolls the parchment. She is glad Gabrielle left, because does not trust herself at this moment to avoid doing something stupid and irrevocable.

Xena, gazing at the direction the bard went, longingly

XENA

Gabrielle, the things you do to me …

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – ROAD – EARLY EVENING

Xena waves back to Gabrielle who is a distance down the road, heading into the village. She leads Argo into the grove of trees away from the open road and prepares to follow Gabrielle. They arrived late so there is no healer duty, just stories. Xena intends to follow Gabrielle after securing Argo.

She feels the slight displacement in the air that announces the arrival of Athena and a smile breaks out. Like Gabrielle, she can now tell with certainty. Unlike the bard, she senses it at the last second, while the bard knows well ahead. Almost as if she knew the moment Athena decided. Strange, but could be explained by their closeness.

One moment there is a change in the air and the next Ares is standing next to her. The smile transforms into a snarl and with a growl she reaches for chakram. Ares laughs mockingly and they both disappear.

CUT TO:

EXT. VILLAGE – OUTSKIRTS – EARLY EVENING

Gabrielle is approaching the first house when she stops and draws her sword and buckler, alertly looking around. The few VILLAGERS who take notice of her decide that whatever is going to happen, they want no part of it. When a Chosen of Athena, as evidenced by blood armor with an owl etched into the front, decides to rumble, sensible and likely to be alive at the end because of it people run for the hills.

A smaller copy of Xena steps from behind one building and Ares flanks her from behind another. Prioritizing the threats, Gabrielle lets the knives fly.

Ares, painfully picking the knives from his thighs and groin

ARES

Ow, ow, and seriously, for the sake of men everywhere, ow.

He tosses the bloody knives to the ground.

Ares, sarcastically

ARES

With your obsession of sticking things into people you should have gotten man parts to go with the outfit.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

That would only make me more desirable to you.

ARES

Hey, not Aphrodite, don't go starting rumors.

GABRIELLE

I hear you are big in Sparta. Or small if you ask the men.

Ares, admiring her wit despite himself, chuckling

ARES

Luckily, I like your impudent tongue as well as the body it is attached to. Things I could do with them, to them …

GABRIELLE

I'm happily married to a better looking and smelling God of War.

ARES

You stand here smug and confident, knowing that I can't touch you. Think again. This will cost me but it is a price I pay willingly.

Xena's smaller twin, slowly making her way towards Gabrielle, finally arrives. Callisto matches Xena in armor, weapons and hair color but not in height, musculature or eyes. Not all there mentally, she eyes Gabrielle with indifference.

Ares, presenting the woman, proudly

ARES

Say hello to Xena.

Callisto draws her sword and starts playing with it. She appears to be fascinated by the shiny metal and absorbed completely in admiring it.

Ares, leaning forward and whispering

ARES

Callisto, Xena's former lieutenant. Her choice in wardrobe and sanity is questionable but I, for one, am not complaining. Tempted?

GABRIELLE

Callisto is not my type.

ARES

Too mortal?

GABRIELLE

Too you.

ARES

That you are right. Trained by Xena and me. Still refusing a bite?

GABRIELLE

One warlord worshipping ex-lieutenant who had to lose her mind to let you sleep with her? Maybe because of it? That's all you have? Ares, I have more man parts than you and I am a woman.

Gabrielle turns her back to him in obvious insult and stalks Callisto.

Ares, grinding his teeth, barely holding his anger in check

ARES

Excuse me, sweet Gabrielle, I have to kill someone. You girls play rough.

He disappears.

Callisto snaps out of her daze. She twirls her blade and laughs at Gabrielle.

Callisto, in singsong

CALLISTO

Little boy Gabe,

Scared and alone,

Going to cut,

Going to gut.

Gabrielle, willing the woman to see reason, not wanting to hurt a sick person

GABRIELLE

I'm Athena's Chosen, Destroyer of Tracus and Troy, Shield of Thermopylae. See the truth.

Abruptly, Callisto drops her sword and it clatters to the ground.

Callisto, still avoiding Gabrielle's eyes, warmly

CALLISTO

It's me, Gabrielle. Your wife Xena.

Callisto laughs and boldly extends her arms towards Gabrielle, who takes advantage and steps in. She puts the blade to Callisto's throat and traps Callisto's right arm under her armpit, using the shield to hold it in place.

Gabrielle, softly

GABRIELLE

Look at me … Xena.

Suddenly nervous and shy being this close, Callisto raises her head bashfully and something passes between them as they lock gazes. Callisto screams in pain and jerks her head, seizures racking her body. Fortunately, Gabrielle is able to avoid slicing her throat, but she has to release the suddenly thrashing woman. She steps back as Callisto scrambles for her sword.

The woman who turns on her is different in behavior and no hint of madness burns in her eyes. Callisto calmly and efficiently closes the space between them, seeming nothing like the wild and crazy fighter moments ago. In fact, she seems more like Xena than when she was proclaiming that fact to the world.

Callisto, coldly

CALLISTO

I'm Callisto. You are not who I expected, Gabrielle.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST – EVENING

Xena pops into another place and grasps the chakram. She is alone in the forest and by the light, some time has passed. Before she can think on it further, Ares appears.

Ares, snarling, eyes burning with hate

ARES

That mortal bitch!

Xena hair stands on her arms and neck and her well-honed survival instinct kicks in. When Gods take off the gloves, you run away; more so if they are homicidal ex-lovers. She explodes into motion, running for her life. She feels the explosion before she hears it and dives into the nearest depression in the ground. Heat and debris pass over her and she raises her head. The entire forest one hundred yards from Ares is a flattened and scorched tapestry of black.

Ares spots her and heads for her, deadly intent evident. Suddenly Zeus appears in front of him and placing a restraining hand on his shoulder takes them both away.

Xena is okay, except for slight hearing impairment and singed back. She smells burning hair and she hopes there are no bold spots. She is not vain, but if a woman can't have her looks, what does she have?

Another displacement and Xena grits her teeth, expecting more trouble. She is not disappointed, although that comes later. Athena appears in her golden armor.

Athena, concerned

ATHENA

Ares is under Olympus arrest. What did he do to Gabrielle?

Xena, mirroring her worry

XENA

Gabrielle really got in his head, he was beyond furious. In fact, he was in a murdering mood. Athena, Ares took me away from Gabrielle. The good news is he did not dare strike her and instead took it out on me. The bad is that she is back there in whatever nasty surprise he planned. Take me back.

Athena, sadly

ATHENA

Want to but can't. We are five hours away by foot.

Xena, cursing loudly, frustrated

XENA

Damn it to Hades.

ATHENA

Good guys play by the rules, bad ones cheat.

Pause.

Athena, abruptly breaking into a smile as a thought occurs to her

ATHENA

However, rules are flexible.

Xena, liking where this is going

XENA

Options?

Athena, mysteriously

ATHENA

I tire of this body. I feel the need for speed. And grass.

Xena, confused

XENA

What?!

Athena winks at Xena and changes into a beautiful white mare with a golden mane. Larger and stronger than Argo, she starts walking, throwing her head back and neighing.

Xena, warmly

XENA

I am falling in love with you Athena. If Gabrielle is not careful, I will steal you from her.

Xena runs toward the horse and with a yell, jumps on its back. Startled, the animal takes off like an arrow. Xena hangs on for dear life as the scenery turns into a blur. Black hair whipping behind her, she leaves the sound of her excitement in passing.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. VILLAGE – OUTSKIRTS – EVENING

Gabrielle watches Callisto closely, trying to judge her intent, sizing up her opponent.

CALLISTO

Ares said you seduced Xena and turned her against him. He says you lie and manipulate people for your own pleasure and profit. How did a grubby, ugly peasant like you conquer Athena Parthenos?

Pause.

Callisto, not getting even a hint of reaction, annoyed

CALLISTO

I am not going to kill you. I will cut your face and remove your dark tongue. You won't have any power over them anymore and they will all leave you. You will crawl back home to Potidaea and beg your father to take you back. He has no one to hit anymore, I am sure he will take pity on you. No marriage for you but you can still bring him coin with your body. You are a fraud and once exposed you will be what you should have been: cheap, mute harlot.

Gabrielle raises her right hand to her lips and kisses the wedding ring with great affection and reverence.

Callisto instantly screams in rage and attacks and she is clearly a pupil of both Xena and Ares. Her blade slashes and thrusts with excellent technique and she commits herself with a great skill. For naught; all she hits is air.

Callisto, angrily

CALLISTO

Coward!

Gabrielle, calmly

GABRIELLE

Don't block, don't parry, don't be there when the blade arrives.

Gabrielle then does something outside her character, something that brings her no joy, only sadness. Xena taught her that sometimes you need to exploit a weakness to end a fight in your favor. There are wounds that are physical and there are ones that are emotional. Hit the last one and the opponent is defeated.

Gabrielle, war cry

GABRIELLE

XENA!

She draws Callisto in, giving her what she wants, as the clash of steel sounds. Parrying and blocking, she sets her up, slowly shifting Callisto's blade and body out of position, leaving a tiny opening for her to exploit. She does, fainting and then drawing blood on Callisto's face.

Callisto screams out of proportion to the damage and stumbles back. A bloody line starts under her eye and runs down to her jaw.

Callisto, despairing

CALLISTO

NO!!!

GABRIELLE

You talk too much. Your tongue is next.

Callisto, shaken

CALLISTO

Wait!

GABRIELLE

Ares hates weakness and admires strength. He courted me before I met Athena.

Callisto, putting the pieces together, confused

CALLISTO

Who are you married to?

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

My wife.

Callisto does not look like she wants to fight anymore, but appearances can be deceiving. Her face is a profusely bleeding mess which she makes worse by smearing it.

CALLISTO

Do you love her?

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Yes, she is everything.

Callisto, depressed, feeling sorry for herself

CALLISTO

No one loves me.

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

I do. You have good heart.

CALLISTO

Really? Xena held strength above all.

GABRIELLE

Xena was wrong. Heart rules supreme.

Callisto, timidly

CALLISTO

Will you teach me?

Gabrielle relaxes and returns the buckler to her belt. She wipes the xiphos and sheaths it to the astonishment of Callisto.

Callisto starts toward Gabrielle who immediately has two throwing knives in her hands, halting her.

GABRIELLE

I won't miss at this distance.

CALLISTO

I won't either.

Gabrielle shrugs and puts the knives away and Callisto immediately puts the sword to her throat.

Callisto, harshly

CALLISTO

Beg.

Gabrielle lifts her right hand slowly and gently touches Callisto's cheek. Callisto at first presses the point in but then backs out slightly once the hand finds its mark.

Gabrielle, softly, locking gazes again

GABRIELLE

My heart is not afraid.

Callisto appears baffled by this turn of events and the physical connection. Imperceptibly, she leans into the contact and starts to feel something she has not felt before. Gabrielle's eyes are larger than they have a right to be, drawing her into an abyss. She manages one last bit of resistance before falling.

Callisto, wobbling on the edge of something she cannot define, pleading

CALLISTO

What are you doing to me?

Gabrielle turns her hand and slowly caresses the cheek with the back of it. Callisto trembles. Closing her eyes and pressing into the touch, Callisto plunges into the unknown. The sword grows very heavy and her arm is so tired. She lets it go and it hits the ground between them. Half sob, half moan escapes her.

GABRIELLE

Shh, come here.

Gabrielle hugs bloody Callisto and the woman eagerly returns it, desperately clinging to the bard.

GABRIELLE

Is there water nearby?

Callisto, pointing out the direction

CALLISTO

There is a river not far from the village. My horse is there.

Gabrielle puts a hand on Callisto's back and with small, encouraging push sets her in motion. Wound and sword forgotten, Callisto complies happily, floating on the cloud. This heart thing suits her just fine.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – ROAD – NIGHT

Athena in animal form stops near the village. Xena dismounts quickly and runs to Argo. She comes back leading the horse and holding a lit torch. She meets a very sweaty Athena who is breathing hard, looking rough and smelling worse.

Xena, without thinking, blurting out

XENA

You won't be the first I whipped that hard.

Pause.

Xena, blushing, embarrassed

XENA

Horse, I mean horse.

Athena, falling in step with Xena, smiling mischievously

ATHENA

Set are the Pleiades; the Moon is down
And midnight dark on high.
The hours, the hours, drift by
And here I lie,
Alone.

 

XENA

Har har.

ATHENA

Gabrielle taught me that one especially for you.

XENA

Bad bard. You going to do something about your personal hygiene?

Athena, grinning

ATHENA

Nah, I have said bard who will be happy to do it for me. And she won't stop there.

XENA

I hate you.

ATHENA

I win.

CUT TO:

EXT. VILLAGE – OUTSKIRTS – NIGHT

Xena examines the ground while Athena holds the torch. They come back to the sword and bloody grass.

Xena, greatly relieved

XENA

Two people ambushed her: Ares and a fighter who lost his sword. There is lots of blood but none on the blade so it is his. Tracks lead around the village and into the fields beyond, blood drops marking the way. She used the kids on Ares and he healed. Question is: where did she go with the wounded man and why?

Athena, sighing

ATHENA

This is Gabrielle we are talking about. She probably apologized after defeating the assassin, bandaged his wounds, cooked him a meal, and packed rations for the road. Possibly gave him a bath and tucked him in, after telling a bedtime story.

Xena, chuckling

XENA

True.

Athena, taking hold of Argo's lead rope

ATHENA

Go find her. I will make the arrangement at the inn. Money?

XENA

Broke. You?

Athena, grinning sheepishly

ATHENA

Gabrielle holds the purse strings.

XENA

Smart woman.

They both laugh and move toward their respective destinations.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – RIVER – NIGHT

The fire is casting a good bit of light and a torch is set close for more illumination. Having washed and thoroughly cleaned the wound, Gabrielle is finishing the stitching. She works extra slow to avoid the scar in the future. Done, the bard cuts the gut with a dagger. Callisto sits quietly, gazing in open fascination at Gabrielle's face, her boldness fortified with wine taken to dull the pain. She is surprised when Gabrielle stops working on the wound and stands up. Callisto does as well, uncertain.

Gabrielle, commanding

GABRIELLE

Take off your clothes.

Callisto checks if she is serious and confirming it, she quickly complies. She stands in her underwraps, pile at her feet.

GABRIELLE

Burn Xena's armor.

Callisto hesitates only a brief second and then gathers the leather set and tosses it into the fire.

GABRIELLE

Did you color your hair?

CALLISTO

Yes. Mine is blonde.

Gabrielle strips to her underwraps and Callisto is suddenly woozy; the wine must be stronger than she thought. Without speaking, Gabrielle takes Callisto's hand and leads them to and then into the river. Callisto is past resisting, willingly following the bard. Gabrielle starts washing the coloring out of Callisto's hair, standing just behind her.

GABRIELLE

Why Xena?

CALLISTO

I was hers. She started out wanting tribute and burned down our house and my family as an example. When I attacked her, she enslaved everybody except the oldest; they were hanged. No one resisted Xena without consequences. I doomed Cirra.

Gabrielle, encouragingly

GABRIELLE

No, you tried to stop her. You did the right thing. What happened next was her fault.

Callisto, bitterly

CALLISTO

She told me I was weak. She said if I became like her I could protect the ones I loved.

Gabrielle, quietly

GABRIELLE

Did you?

Callisto, sadly

CALLISTO

When I did, I no longer cared about anything.

GABRIELLE

What was left?

Callisto, crying

CALLISTO

Xena. Yet I could not stand the sight of her. I left, like all the others before and since. Gabrielle, I can't be with her and I can't leave her, so I became her.

GABRIELLE

Ares?

Callisto, shrugging

CALLISTO

Said you were married to Xena. Offered me vengeance.

GABRIELLE

Do you want to hurt me?

Callisto, protesting quickly

CALLISTO

No. I want …

Gabrielle, firmly

GABRIELLE

What do you want Callisto?

Callisto, hesitantly

CALLISTO

… Do you really love me?

GABRIELLE

Yes.

Callisto turns to face Gabrielle.

Callisto, gathering her courage, risking boldly

CALLISTO

Kiss me.

Gabrielle, smiling apologetically, spins her back around

GABRIELLE

I'm married to Athena.

CALLISTO

Oh. Then Xena …?

GABRIELLE

Is my best friend.

Callisto, holding her breath

CALLISTO

You didn't …?

GABRIELLE

No. In fact, I discouraged her.

CALLISTO

Why?

GABRIELLE

Xena did not know what love is. One day ...

CALLISTO

What about me?

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

You are not her; you are different. You are Callisto.

The clouds break and Callisto's blonde hair glows in the moonlight, reflecting off the river's silver surface. Gabrielle turns Callisto around and hugs her.

Gabrielle, tearfully

GABRIELLE

You are free.

Callisto cries in Gabrielle's arms for the little girl from Cirra that eight years later is still standing in the ruins of her village. She takes one last look around and walks away from the smoldering ruins, leaving her village, leaving her past. Forever, she hopes.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – RIVER – NIGHT

Gabrielle and Callisto sit close to the fire, drying. Gabrielle checks the wound and then applies spit poultice and bandages. She ends up covering one of Callisto's eyes. She hands Callisto two small pouches, after marking them.

GABRIELLE

Use this for poultices until gone and then start on the second one.

Callisto, hopefully

CALLISTO

You could stay with me.

GABRIELLE

You have a choice. You are a great warrior; Amazons will take you without hesitation and don't care about your past.

Callisto, wonderingly

CALLISTO

How did you defeat me?

GABRIELLE

I fight with my mind and words, not just steel. Kissing the ring rattled you and opened you to your greatest fear.

Callisto, touching the bandage, understanding dawning

CALLISTO

I told you what I dreaded.

GABRIELLE

Xena and you are strong physically but weak emotionally.

Callisto, begging

CALLISTO

Take me with you.

Gabrielle, sighing

GABRIELLE

You and Xena together are explosive. Not a good idea. Callisto, she took an innocent you and tainted your soul. She is cancer. I and Athena can handle her, you can't.

Callisto, with sorrow

CALLISTO

What is my other option?

GABRIELLE

Keep coming after us until either I or Xena put you down permanently.

Pause.

Gabrielle, strongly

GABRIELLE

Callisto, walk away from this life or it will bury you.

Gabrielle hears someone approaching, still a fair distance away and puts on her belt. Callisto watches her closely her but does nothing, trusting her safety to the bard.

Callisto, life winning out, with a heavy heart

CALLISTO

I choose Amazons.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

Good. Listen, whatever happens next, don't speak and don't get involved. I will protect you.

Callisto, worried

CALLISTO

What's wrong?

Gabrielle, expecting this, but not liking it

GABRIELLE

Xena is here.

They sit in silence by the fire, Callisto not hearing anything and Gabrielle closely following the progress of the advancing warrior princess. The bard signals Xena a few times, telling her to go away, but she knows that is like trying to stop the sea. Ready or not, hell is about to break loose.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – RIVER – NIGHT

Xena does not disappoint. Done with sneaking around, she strides boldly right into the camp. Gabrielle can read her body language and knows a confrontation is coming. This will be ugly and she decides it is about time.

Xena is shooting daggers and seeing red. Her rage started building the moment she saw Gabrielle and Callisto sitting close together by the fire in their underwraps. She forgave the bard's indiscretion with Teresia. In fact, she hoped for more of them, knowing it would wreck the marriage. But now she finds that she can no longer tolerate a prospect of Gabrielle being with anyone other than her or Athena.

Xena, face red, screaming her fury at Gabrielle, accusing and condemning

XENA

WHORE!!!

Gabrielle stands up and places a hand on Callisto's shoulder as Xena draws her sword. She draws her xiphos and buckler and intercepts Xena as Callisto looks on with awe and affection at her defender.

Xena does not miss the look and it fuels her anger. She moves to pass the bard but Gabrielle attacks, driving her back. Xena snarls and tests Gabrielle's resolve, finding it unshakable.

Gabrielle, evenly

GABRIELLE

Walk away, Xena.

Xena, spitting mad, past reason, snarling

XENA

Bitch is mine.

Gabrielle, calmly

GABRIELLE

Then take her.

Xena stops holding back. This is not practice, this is not sparing, this is for real. Astonishingly, Gabrielle counters her every move, always a step ahead, fighting her to a draw. This is not possible, thinks Xena. She tries mixing things and throwing in kicks but the stubborn bard is there with her. Gabrielle is not attacking; she is just nullifying everything coming her way. Frustrated, Xena backs up and throws her weapon down, signaling an end to hostilities.

Xena, grumbling, note of respect in her voice

XENA

How?

GABRIELLE

Remember the dance?

XENA

Yes.

GABRIELLE

You are an open book.

Xena, groaning

XENA

Great. When were you going to tell me?

Gabrielle, nonchalantly, her twinkling eyes betraying her

GABRIELLE

Wasn't sure. I knew a time would come when I had to stop you.

Xena, incredulously

XENA

You gambled your life on “wasn't sure”?

Gabrielle, shrugging

GABRIELLE

I mean I was certain you would not deliver a killing blow.

Xena, shaking her head, exasperated

XENA

Crazy bard. Come here so I can squeeze some sense into you.

Gabrielle smiles and dropping her weapons runs into Xena's arms. They embrace warmly and Xena makes the bard's bones creak.

Gabrielle breaks the bear hug while she still has her own skeleton relatively intact and dresses quickly.

Xena, having picked up and sheathed her sword, has moved away and is idly watching Callisto, who has her eyes on the bard the whole time.

Gabrielle, to Callisto

GABRIELLE

Remember my words and yours. Goodbye Callisto.

CALLISTO

I will find love. Goodbye Gabrielle.

Gabrielle walks away from the fire, Xena joining her. They walk in silence for a while, Xena illuminating the way with the torch. The river camp and its wounded occupant disappear from view and the trees swallow them.

GABRIELLE

Harlot?

Xena, very uncomfortable

XENA

I might have overreacted …

Gabrielle, pointedly

GABRIELLE

There is that whole trying to kill me thing. Again.

Xena, apologetic

XENA

… a tad. I'm sorry.

GABRIELLE

Xena?

Xena, knowing what's coming

XENA

Yes?

Gabrielle, sternly

GABRIELLE

We are having a talk in the morning.

Xena, immediately agreeing and then deflecting, innocently

XENA

Yes Gabrielle. I should point out that your wife was ridden hard and is in need of your loving attention.

Gabrielle, nonplussed

GABRIELLE

The horse thing?

Xena, pouting

XENA

You're no fun. How can I goad you if you don't play along?

Gabrielle, playing along, melodramatically

GABRIELLE

Xena!

Xena, satisfied

XENA

Better.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – ROAD – MORNING

Xena and Gabrielle walk together down the road, Argo behind them. They have not spoken at all today and the silence weighs oppressively. Xena knows that Gabrielle let it go last night. That will not happen this morning.

Gabrielle moves off the road and towards a group of trees. Xena follows her, walking with a resignation of a condemned woman. Gabrielle stops and Xena faces her, defenses up.

Gabrielle observes the rigid posture, arms crossed over the chest and the face set in stone. Xena is in full shell mode. Gabrielle removes her weapons and tackles her friend into the grass; she then jumps back to her feet. Grousing, Xena stands up, now more relaxed and open.

GABRIELLE

Athena trusts me, you don't.

Xena, trying to rationalize, excusing weakly

XENA

I saw …

Gabrielle, interrupting her, firmly

GABRIELLE

I don't need or want anyone else. I love Athena.

XENA

Oh.

GABRIELLE

Callisto has deluded herself into impersonating you, something you started and Ares finished. I guided her toward reason. She removed and destroyed your clothes and then I washed her hair to complete the transformation.

XENA

You seduced her?

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

No, I showed her the truth and offered her love. It worked on you.

Xena, sighing

XENA

Too well.

GABRIELLE

Callisto got a second chance and now has a choice to make. If I did not protect her, you would have killed her.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

I am not yours. What happened last night?

Xena, admitting, her eyes asking for forgiveness

XENA

I lost it.

Gabrielle, worried

GABRIELLE

Xena, you turned on me. Athena is deeply concerned and so am I. You acted obsessed and possessive. We don't have that kind of relationship.

Xena, her throat closing and words hard to find, tearfully

XENA

Forgive me.

GABRIELLE

Your insincere tears don't work on me, unless I want you to think they do.

Xena, pleading

XENA

Please …

Gabrielle takes Xena's chin into her hand and looks her right in the eyes.

GABRIELLE

The truth.

Xena, placing both hands on Gabrielle's shoulder, growling

XENA

You are mine. The thought of you together with Callisto was too much. I was going to teach you what happens when you cheat on me.

Gabrielle, sadly

GABRIELLE

No, Xena. You cannot have what is not freely given. Do you want me?

Xena, drawing Gabrielle towards her eagerly, hungry and predatory

XENA

Yes, very much.

Gabrielle, quietly and tearfully

GABRIELLE

Then take me against my will.

Xena flinches as if stuck and immediately stops her advances. She jerks her hands back, falling back a half step, nausea hitting her hard and the world swimming.

Xena, not quite sure she heard right, shocked

XENA

What did you say?!

Gabrielle unbuckles her belt and lets it drop, leaving her defenseless.

GABRIELLE

Take what you want and be done with me.

Xena, feeling the bile rising in her throat, horrified and physically sick

XENA

Gabrielle, please stop!

Gabrielle tosses the leather armor and discards the knives from the boots.

GABRIELLE

I won't fight you and I won't resist you. This will end our friendship but you will have what you desire most. Your conquest.

Xena backs up so quickly she trips and falls. She is pale and sweating profusely. Gabrielle lifts her tunic over her head and throws it at Xena. She is left standing in her trousers and upper underwraps. Xena grasps the tunic tightly, her fingers turning white.

Gabrielle, crying, softly whispers

GABRIELLE

Rape me.

Xena half screams, half chokes and drops the tunic as if it is white hot. She rolls over to her knees and scrambles to her feet. She takes off, running blindly away from Gabrielle as if the Furies are chasing her. She crashes thru the bushes and undergrowth without looking as she disappears from view.

Gabrielle, with deep sorrow and heavy heart

GABRIELLE

Love is not about power and control; love is about sharing and surrender. Callisto, twisted as she was, understood that. What does that say about you when you can't, Xena?

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – ROAD – AFTERNOON

Gabrielle lies in the grass under the trees. She hears Xena approach, slowing down till she stands next to her.

Xena kneels next to Gabrielle who sits up. Xena's head is down and she studies the grass intently. There are numerous scratches and bruises on her arms and legs.

Gabrielle reaches out and brushes the hair away from Xena's face, causing her to lift it. Red, puffy eyes and solemn expression greet her.

Gabrielle, friendly

GABRIELLE

Hey you.

Xena, trembling

XENA

Is it over between us?

GABRIELLE

No.

XENA

Do you want your scroll back?

GABRIELLE

No.

Xena, admitting

XENA

I really did it this time.

GABRIELLE

Yes, yes you did.

XENA

What's my punishment?

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

I forgive you. The rest is between you and your conscience.

XENA

Does it change things?

GABRIELLE

We had an arrangement. I married but stayed with you as we agreed. Despite everything I made it work; despite you.

Xena, sincerely, crying

XENA

Gabrielle, what happens if next time I don't stop? What happens if I assault or kill you?

Gabrielle, earnestly

GABRIELLE

If I give up on you I give up on myself. I made my choice and I rather die trying.

Pause.

Gabrielle kneels in front of Xena and embraces her warmly.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Love is not easy. It is joy and it is pain. It is a commitment that has to be nurtured and fed. I know what you are and I accept it, warts and all. The return is worth it. I love you Xena.

Xena, hope renewed, lovingly

XENA

I love you too.

They break and stand up, facing each other. Gabrielle, setting boundaries, sternly

GABRIELLE

The intimacies and pleasures which I freely share with my wife are not yours yet I don't want to lose the closeness and familiarities between us. I feel safe with you and the ugliness this morning surprised and hurt me. Worse, it wounded Athena.

Xena, her eyes and soul open, meaning it and hiding nothing

XENA

It was clear before: love was conquest. Now, I am confused and my chest aches.

GABRIELLE

Xena, I will give you anything you ask, immediately and without question, but I can't give you my heart.

Xena, sighing

XENA

I just figured it out: love is madness.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

True. Will you trust me next time?

Xena, carefully

XENA

Athena knows what happened with Callisto?

Gabrielle, nodding

GABRIELLE

Yes, I told her everything. She made me wash her three times longer than the time I spent in the river with Callisto. My punishment was scrubbing her body.

Xena, whistling in surprise

XENA

Wow, talk about an incentive to commit crimes.

Gabrielle, giggling, dreamily

GABRIELLE

I know. I love the way Athena cares, the way she forgives, and the way she makes it all work. I love everything about her.

Xena, warmly

XENA

You truly deserve her and she you.

Pause.

Xena, sighing

XENA

What now?

Gabrielle, simply

GABRIELLE

We go on.

Xena, with a touch of fear, unsure

XENA

How?

Gabrielle, pointing at the stretch of dirt racing for the horizon

GABRIELLE

You and I walk together down this road and see where it leads us.

Xena, knowing the truth and bowing to reality, resignedly

XENA

It will not be easy.

Gabrielle, encouragingly

GABRIELLE

Please Xena, just start walking.

Pause.

Gabrielle, leading Argo onto the road, over her shoulder

GABRIELLE

Please?

Xena stands for a while watching the bard and then follows in the footsteps of Gabrielle. Her longer strides eventually close the distance until they are abreast.

XENA

Yes.

Gabrielle reaches out and hesitantly seeks Xena's hand. Almost as tentatively, Xena fingers find hers and intertwine. Hand in hand, they continue in silence, both looking at the future stretching ahead of them.

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page