Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“The Path Not Taken ”

Episode 9, Part 2

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. TRACUS – PLAZA – EVENING

The GLADIATORS walk off, escorted to their matches. Xena leads Gabrielle to where Marcus is standing, talking with some MERCENARIES.

Xena, interrupting

XENA

Hey Marcus.

MARCUS

Xena!

They clasp forearms.

Xena, introducing Gabrielle, casually

XENA

This is my lieutenant Gabrielle.

Gabrielle nods. She is silent and shadows Xena as instructed.

Marcus, amazed

MARCUS

You just don't stop. You are the Hydra of warlords, Xena. They destroy your army and you grow another one.

XENA

That's why I am in this armpit of a town. Where are the farm and the family, Marcus?

Marcus, sighing

MARCUS

Leaving the life was harder than I expected. Let's walk. Where you staying?

XENA

Golden Goose.

MARCUS

A fine choice. Same as last time if I recall; you are getting predictable. With so many hired knives around this town, that's living on the edge.

XENA

I call it an average day.

MARCUS

And as modest as ever.

CUT TO:

INT. TRACUS – GOLDEN GOOSE – EVENING

Xena and Marcus enter, with Gabrielle following. Xena approaches a table of her choice and the DRUNKS clear out immediately. Xena and Marcus take a seat and the SERVER comes over. Xena looks first at Gabrielle standing there and dismisses her. Gabrielle heads for the bar and sits at it, ordering a drink.

Xena, to SERVER

XENA

Two meads.

The SERVER recognizes her and heads for kitchen, not the bar.

Xena mentions with her head to Marcus and moves it in direction of Gabrielle.

XENA

Showtime.

CUT TO:

INT. TRACUS – GOLDEN GOOSE – EVENING

Gabrielle has barely received her mead when DRUNK #2 staggers over to her and sits next to her stool, settling his forearms loudly on the bar surface. DRUNK #2 leans forward and towards Gabrielle unsteadily.

DRUNK #2, boisterously and crudely

DRUNK #2

I heard some woman earlier yell upstairs “I am a virgin” and I recon it was not Xena. How about I help you with your little problem?

Gabrielle draws a dagger and pins his left hand to the table in one smooth, powerful motion. She looks down at his groin.

Gabrielle, smiling coldly, loudly

GABRIELLE

How about I cut off your little problem and you will be virgin-less for the rest of your life?

She removes the dagger and DRUNK #2 stumbles back. Clutching his bleeding hand, he makes his way quickly to the front door, laughter and song following him out.

DRUNKS

She was a fine little wench,

And me with my thirst to quench,

I told her my desire,

She set my trousers on fire.

Gabrielle salutes them with her mead and is left alone to enjoy her drink.

CUT TO:

INT. TRACUS – GOLDEN GOOSE – EVENING

Marcus stares at Xena.

Marcus, laughing

MARCUS

You sure know how to pick them.

XENA

I found you, didn't I?

SERVER brings over their mead and they pause. Xena raises an eyebrow in question.

SERVER

Private stock, don't want to end up like your last waitress here.

Xena tosses a drachma and the SERVER moves off. They resume talking.

MARCUS

To be honest, I was fine fighting under you, but did not want to be one of your projects. You change people Xena and not in a good way. I mean, we are all in this life and that's fine. Live by the sword and die by executioner's axe. But take this Gabrielle. When you are done with her, Gods protect me, I would not want to be in the same town with her. Several towns over in fact.

XENA

Where is this coming from?

MARCUS

Xena, you are one story; your lieutenants are another. It was the worst of you that went in them, without your control or restraint. We have a code in the mercenary trade, not that different from regular soldiers. We knew where we stood with each other and with you. No one talked about it, but when the lieutenants formed their own bands and split off, we were glad they were gone and even more glad that they did not take us with them. I always thought you were … relieved when they left as well.

XENA

Nonsense. Marcus, it was about the conquest, not the results. It still is.

Marcus, shivering

MARCUS

I talked about the farm because I had a feeling I was next. I forged my long service to you into a key to my freedom. The memories of deserters and their creative end at your hand made any other course of action … unwise. Mezentius is upfront about buying my loyalty and he is right, I sell my sword to the highest bidder. He is that person now.

Xena, icily

XENA

Don't become useless to me Marcus.

Marcus, scared, appeasing

MARCUS

You have a plan and I am part of it; I accept that. No one ever walks away from you completely, not if they are honest about it. I do this last thing for you.

XENA

The room is upstairs. I need privacy and thick walls.

Xena gets up and Marcus follows. They head upstairs as whistles and cheers erupt from DRUNKS. Gabrielle glances at them as they pass her.

Gabrielle, thoughtfully

GABRIELLE

I don't think this will have a happy ending.

CUT TO:

INT. GOLDEN GOOSE – XENA'S ROOM – EVENING

Marcus enters, followed by Xena. She closes the door and pushes him towards the bed until he bumps on the edge of it and is shoved down onto it. Xena is standing at the foot of the bed and Marcus remains where he fell.

MARCUS, more confident

MARCUS

We both know this is not you. What is your game?

XENA

Gladiator security.

MARCUS

You and your distractions. Who or what is the real target?

XENA

Tracus.

MARCUS

Ambitious and … you have a lieutenant and what, a hundred men at best and you plan on taking a whole city? Xena, are you mad?

XENA

Tracus is dead, Gabrielle's will.

Marcus is confused at first then understanding fills his eyes.

Marcus, putting the pieces together

MARCUS

There were rumors of a new Xena, whispers of dead warlords, heroic deeds and saved peasants. When one of our own turns on us, word travels fast in the circles. Still, I hesitated; this is you we are talking about, the Tartarus made flesh. However, once Hesperos was dead, I should have known. Old Xena did not care about them, but she didn't kill her lieutenants. In a perverse way she was proud of them.

XENA

I offer you your dream.

Marcus, thinking fast, buys time

MARCUS

Gladiators, right. Each barracks has a secure guard office at the entrance. Password is “Medusa”. The weapons are kept in the separate armory on the grounds and the keys are not on the property. Hired city watch patrols the square and the streets at night. All you need to join is show up and fill the open positions for that evening. Easy work but they are not meant as a defensive force; more along the lines of extra eyes and ears. This was added after you last visit.

Marcus looks at Xena pointedly but gets no reaction. Marcus, somberly

MARCUS

Xena, this is a bad idea. Rebellion and slaves in close proximity are general alert trouble. This will be put down with vengeance. Besides, you are into saving lives now, not throwing them away, if I understand correctly. What is your plan?

XENA

Last chance.

Marcus, persuasively

MARCUS

This is who we are, this is our life and those are our people. Xena, Tracus is your world and you belong here. The peasants, the merchants, the townspeople and the citizens of polis are your enemy. They won't accept you, they won't forgive you, and they will hunt you down to the end of your days. Here, you have a home and a family. Thieves, assassins, mercenaries, and thugs; we are all one big, dysfunctional family. We fight, we love, and we stand together against the world outside. You are one of us. Stay.

Xena steps of to the side and points at the door. Marcus rolls off the bed to the side away from Xena and stands up.

Marcus, guessing

MARCUS

It is her, isn't it? Gabrielle is not your lieutenant. You said “Gabrielle's will” and in the time I known you and the tales I heard, not once have you acquiesced to another willingly. You demand loyalty yet it stops at you. You don't share control, glory, or your bed; you share nothing. You always stand alone. We fought in many a battle together and we would die for you, but deep down we knew you would not die for us. You were strong and now you are weak.

Xena growls, a low rumble in her throat.

Marcus, pushing on, risking it all

MARCUS

Open your eyes Xena. I speak as a fellow comrade in arms who loved and admired you and so did those that bled for you. You had power, by Zeus, you were power. Standing on the field shoulder to shoulder with you, we felt invincible. You were our God of war, Ares be damned. A cruel, heartless God, but our God. The field was your temple and the battle was your altar. We sacrificed for you willingly. You can have that back, just take the dagger and put it in Gabrielle's heart. Prove your loyalty to us and reclaim your strength.

Xena stalks towards him, hands flexing open and closed.

Marcus, deciding

MARCUS

I will follow you, project or no project. There is no farm in my future and I was a weak fool to leave you. Seeing you now, talking with you, made me realize that. I am yours.

Xena closes the distance and drives Marcus into the wall with left forearm in his throat. A dagger is in her right hand and she places the tip between his ribs.

XENA

I take your heart.

Marcus jerks as the blade pierces his heart, but is held in place firmly.

Xena, soothingly

XENA

Shh. Close your eyes now and dream of that farm.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INT. GOLDEN GOOSE – GABRIELLE'S ROOM – NIGHT

Gabrielle is sitting on the bed yawning, fully dressed. She is wearing her leather armor, bracer with three throwing knives on it, and matched leather gloves. Five knives are on the belt and two in the boots. Sword and dagger complete the look. The staff leans against the bed near her and the backpack is on the floor. There is a knock at the door, and then Xena enters right away. She moves to the bed and picks up and shoulders the backpack as Gabrielle stands up.

Xena, answering the unasked question

XENA

Marcus made a choice.

GABRIELLE

Being invited to your room takes on a whole different meaning with you.

XENA

He joined the old Xena.

GABRIELLE

That's a good thing, right?

XENA

The past wanted your life. My future took his.

Gabrielle is trying to make sense of this statement.

Gabrielle, puzzled

GABRIELLE

You killed Marcus?

XENA

The past was alive in him and he offered me a return to the old ways with him at my side again.

GABRIELLE

You can't erase the past by murdering the bearers of those painful memories.

XENA

The price was your life.

GABRIELLE

What happened?

XENA

I killed him and went to sleep.

GABRIELLE

You slept with the body in the same room?!

XENA

He is one of Mezentius', someone will recognize him. The dead don't bother the living.

GABRIELLE

Speak for yourself. I have a sudden need to get out of this place. Out the window?

XENA

Come on, I will lower you and jump down after.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – ALLEY – NIGHT

Xena and Gabrielle are making their way thru the town toward the west side of the plaza. Patrols are few and loud enough to give ample warning.

Gabrielle, in low voice

GABRIELLE

No bed Olympics?

XENA

It is my reputation, isn't it?

Gabrielle, giggling

GABRIELLE

Some of the bards' tales were on the detailed side, accompanied by lurid body acting. You learn a lot in a tavern, you know. When it is late and mead is flowing, tongues get loose and inhibition fades. I was there, just one of the boys.

XENA

That I have to hear.

GABRIELLE

Later. Now the truth.

XENA

You don't sleep with subordinates, you sleep with equals. When leading an army, you don't want to give an appearance of partiality and undermine discipline, authority and morale. The men must obey without question and carry your orders without hesitation. Fraternization changes that.

GABRIELLE

You don't make love, you wage love. Tell me, brilliant tactical mind, who was worthy of your conquest?

XENA

There were three: Caesar, Borias, and Ares. Caesar had power and destiny, Borias had an army and Ares, Ares was a God.

GABRIELLE

I'm impressed; no wonder other men created stories. Who can compete with that?

Xena, grinning

XENA

Tall tales serve their purpose.

GABRIELLE

You and Cleopatra should team up.

Xena, impishly

XENA

Cleopatra learned from me.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

Hello Xena's ego, nice to meet you. Say, is it getting a bit crowded in this alley?

Xena, teasing

XENA

You have a one-track mind.

Gabrielle, frowning

GABRIELLE

Where did that come from?

XENA

I mention love and the first thing that pops into your head is Cleopatra, the most beautiful woman in the known world.

GABRIELLE

You stand alone in very select company. It is either Helen of Troy or Cleopatra, with Helen matching you for destruction caused. Cleopatra is the safe choice.

XENA

Great parry.

GABRIELLE

Great teacher.

XENA

I am not going to get the last word in, am I?

GABRIELLE

Not this match.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – GLADIATOR BARRACKS – NIGHT

Xena takes them to the armory first and works her lock picks. The lock opens and Xena goes in first. She lights a torch after closing the door. Racks of weapons line the floor and the walls are covered with them. Xena walks up to one rack and picks up a staff with metal shod ends.

XENA

Staff, improved.

Gabrielle checks the additions and tests the balance.

Gabrielle, deciding

GABRIELLE

Pass. This is a tool of death, mine is a tool of war.

Gabrielle returns the staff and takes her old one back. They move the entrance and Xena puts out the torch before heading out.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – GLADIATOR BARRACKS – NIGHT

Xena and Gabrielle head to the lower barracks. Gabrielle stops at the corner and Xena goes ahead to scout. There are no windows on the guard portion of the building. Xena moves quietly to the door and listens then goes to the other barracks and repeats the process. She returns to Gabrielle.

XENA

Five in this one and four in the other. Two in each awake, rest sleeping. Chakram, kids, and then finish the sleeping ones.

Gabrielle nods and they move to the door. Xena knocks on it, not too loudly, just enough to get attention. Footsteps cross to the door and stop in front of it.

GUARD #1

Password?

XENA

Medusa.

The bolt slides back and the door swings out. Xena punches GUARD #1 in the throat and pushes him back and to the side. She steps inside and Gabrielle follows quickly, shutting the door behind her. Two guards sitting on chairs around a small table piled with money and game pieces turn their heads and start to rise. Chakram takes GUARD #2 out and knives strike GUARD #3 thighs, collapsing him. Xena kills GUARD #1 with a dagger and moves toward the two cots, where GUARD #4 and GUARD #5 are starting to wake up. They both die with sleep still in their eyes as Gabrielle closes in and with a staff strike takes out GUARD #3. She takes back her knives, wiping them first. Gabrielle heads for the ring key hanging on the wall, leaving Xena to end GUARD #3, and unlocks the door. She steps into the large room and heads for the nearest bed. Sleepy voices start to sound as the room comes awake. Gabrielle walks up to the nearest GLADIATOR and throws the keys into his chest.

Gabrielle, ordering

GABRIELLE

Unlock everyone and quietly head to the other barracks.

Gabrielle turns and walks out without another word.

CUT TO:

INT. TRACUS – OTHER GLADIATOR BARRACKS – NIGHT

All the slaves are now packed inside the single barracks facing Xena and Gabrielle who are standing in front of a pair of torches set on the sides of the door. Xena turns and gives Gabrielle's shoulder a squeeze. She silently leaves the room, all the words between them spoken earlier. Gabrielle is left facing a dark room, where only the nearest rows show and the rest of the GLADIATORS fade into nothing. No sound except breathing. There is an expectation in the air, a charged feeling.

Gabrielle, in bard voice

GABRIELLE

They call you slaves, chain you like animals, and take pleasure and gain in you tearing each other apart. And you take it. They decide when you eat, when you sleep, and when you train. And you take it. They decide when you fight and when you die. And you will take no more.

Subdued cheers from GLADIATORS.

GABRIELLE

You were born to fight. Feel it calling in the blood and see it in the nature that bares its fangs at the iron links holding you fast. No more. The chains lie broken and the beast is loose. Embrace it. You are real men and women; you survived the pits. You are winners and the poor bastards who lost are animal droppings.

Subdued laughter from GLADIATORS.

Mezentius clutches his precious slaves in the pens to his bosom like a mother hen clasping her chicks. We will go and take what he values most, where his pride will be hit the hardest. We will free the slaves from him and there is nothing he can do to stop us.

GABRIELLE

We are free.

Gabrielle pauses and lets the words sink in.

GABRIELLE

We will stand as free men and we will die as free men. They will come in numbers and become but memory on the wall of our spears. For the strongest part of us are not the weapons we wield, but the men holding them. The bards will sing of this day, when the gladiators of Tracus stood unbroken and free. They will sing of our glory. To victory!

GLADIATORS, subdued but still too loud

GLADIATORS

Victory!

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – SLAVE PENS – PRE DAWN

The wagons are lined up at the gate and the chains laid out. The wagons are for women and children, the men will walk behind. The caravan is ready to start collecting the slaves and secure them for the trip home. Detachment of ten GUARDS has arrived from the barracks across the plaza and they mostly stay out of JAILERS' way. The JAILERS are a crew of five Mezentius' men who run this place, supported by a group of JAILER ASSISTANTS who are slaves given special privileges and clothes in return for their service against their own kind. The gate is unlocked and swung open and the JAILERS and JAILER ASSISTANTS enter inside the compound. Unexpectedly, there are shouts across the square. A large group of heavily armed men and women led by Gabrielle is rapidly approaching the pens. The GUARDS spread to cover the entrance, only to be cut down by rain of spears. The JAILER ASSISTANTS break and run for it, knowing what fate awaits those slaves who turned against others. Surprisingly, the GLADIATORS let them pass out the gate and the JAILER ASSISTANTS scatter in all directions. Gabrielle enters the gate as the JAILERS draw swords. GLADIATORS rush past her and engage them. With swords against longer spears and no shields, it is over quickly.

Gabrielle, commanding

GABRIELLE

Strip the armor and shields from the fallen, pass them out. Inverted wedge formation, with the tip toward slave pens. Leave space for me in the middle. Best spear throwers in the front row. Now.

GLADIATORS set about their tasks. Two lines funnel the enemy towards Gabrielle. They are wide apart at the gate and come closer the farther away from the gate. Gabrielle stands in open space, given she requires room to swing the staff. The most experienced GLADIATORS are to her sides. A score of GLADIATORS that are not good enough to stand with the rest starts to free the slaves in pens after getting the keys from JAILERS. The enemy is expected soon and does not disappoint.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – GATE – DAWN

A group of a dozen DISGUISED SOLDIERS is approaching the city on foot as Xena moves along the wall and towards the gate. There are far off shouts from the plaza, indicating that the trouble has started there already. Xena emerges into the gate from the side. The GATE GUARDS at the gate would normally let the group pass, but with the commotion in the plaza they are not taking any chances and there are protocols to follow. Ten GATE GUARDS block the way of DIGUISED SOLDIERS.

LEAD GATE GUARD

There is probably a problem with the slaves in the plaza as this is the time they get handed off. It is probably nothing, but we have to close the gate for an hour.

Xena attacks the GATE GUARDS who are all facing the away from her, easy taking down half of them before they realize what is happening. The DISGUISED SOLDIERS attack the rest. From the tree line, hundreds of SOLDIERS pour out, along with a column of MOUNTED SOLDIERS who ride straight for the gate across the grass. Shouts from WALL GUARDS up on the walls go out and they abandon their posts and run down the stairs, knowing they have to secure the gate or the city is lost. Fifteen WALL GUARDS form up to face XENA and the DISGUISED SOLDIERS, who instead press themselves against the gate walls as a column of horses cuts onto the road and straight thru the gate, flattening the WALL GUARDS. Over two hundred men strong, MOUNTED SOLDIERS tighten up the formation and head for the plaza. COMMANDERS run up to Xena at the gate.

Xena, ordering

XENA

Send shield wall formations up the streets, back them up with archers. Torch every house you pass. Take the city walls. Converge on the square.

The COMMANDERS take the columns that form outside the gate and march each one thru and to their assigned street. The first formation takes the main street just as the MOUNTED SOLDIERS close in on the plaza.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – SLAVE PENS – DAWN

The MERCENARIES march in tight column thru the open gate, heading straight for Gabrielle. When the first ten rows clear the gate and are halfway to Gabrielle, she gives the order.

GABRIELLE

Spears!

With over hundred extra spears on hand and coming from three directions, despite the large shields and the armor, the organized formation is soon in chaos as a rain of spears at close range decimates the MERCENARIES. Each fallen MERCENARY exposes another gap and the rest cannot close ranks fast enough to compensate, leaving them exposed. The MERCENARIES retreat to the entrance of the gate, leaving two score dead and wounded behind them. They form up again and advance. They know the GLADIATORS are out of extra spears. This time Gabrielle lets them advance further in.

GABRIELLE

Spears!

The GLADIATORS don't hesitate, throwing every spear left into the formation. The MERCENARIES start to retreat again to the gate, trying to regroup. They bled nearly half their number in both attempts so far.

GABRIELLE

Attack!

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – PLAZA – EARLY MORNING

Mezentius surveys the situation from the north side of the square, in front of the pits. In front of him is a phalanx of nearly three hundred heavily armored MEZENTIUS' SOLDIERS flanked on each side by fifty lightly armored MERCENARIES. His LIEUTENANT rides up.

MEZENTIUS

Report.

LIEUTENANT

We lost the slave pens.

Mezentius, annoyed

MEZENTIUS

I sent ten score heavy infantry against half that number of slaves.

LIEUTENANT

They say a woman leads them, fighting like the Furies.

MEZENTIUS

Xena! One day in town and the cursed woman is starting trouble again. I am seriously rethinking open gate policy where she is concerned.

Mezentius gazes at the pens with intense dislike.

LIEUTENANT

It got worse. We are being invaded.

Mezentius turns to LIEUTENANT and follows his eyes. MOUNTED SOLDIERS are entering the square from the main street.

Mezentius, to LIEUTENANT

MEZENTIUS

Sound general alarm. If we survive the charge, we cut our way down the street and out of the city.

LIEUNTENANT salutes and leaves.

Mezentius, decisively

MEZENTIUS

Forward, march!

LINE SERGEANTS echo his order to the phalanx.

LINE SERGEANTS

Forward, march!

The phalanx and flanking units slowly move together across the plaza.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – GATE – EARLY MORNING

Xena climbs onto the city wall, figuring that the fastest way to cross the city. It is also a good vantage point. The streets are clear so far. The MOUNTED SOLDIERS are forming a wedge in the square against a phalanx. Columns begin to advance on some streets and torches are tossed at the first houses.

General alarm goes off and hundreds of THUGS pour out onto the streets. Dozens of ASSASSINS and MERCENARIES appear in windows and on the rooftops with bows. Death rains on advancing SOLDIERS in the streets below. The SOLDIERS with bows behind the shield wall formations are doing their best to cover them, but they are losing the battle. More torches are tossed as the casualties start to mount.

An ASSASSIN with cloak on fire jumps out of the window and lands in the middle of the first advancing rows on main street. Chaos erupts as he uses the panic over burning cloth to deftly work the daggers under the armor of SOLDIERS and bodies start dropping. The THUGS in front push forward seeing this and the formerly orderly ranks break into one on one struggle. The LINE SERGEANTS, cursing, screaming, and shoving, pull the main body back and leave the engaged SOLDIERS behind. They reset the formation and begin the orderly advance once again. Xena nods in approval at their professionalism and seeing slow but steady progress, starts to work her way around the city.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – PLAZA – EARLY MORNING

The phalanx has stopped about third of the way into the plaza. The wedge of MOUNTED SOLDIERS is now approaching at a trot.

MEZENTIUS

Set!

LINE SERGEANTS

Set!

MEZENTIUS' SOLDIERS move closer, cutting the distance between each men in half. They brace their large shields. Each row lowers the spears toward the oncoming charge and sets them firmly. A wall of spears and shields forms.

MEZENTIUS

Hold!

LINE SERGEANTS

Hold!

The MOUNTED SOLDIERS lower their xystons and shift to gallop. The stones of the plaza vibrate under their weight and the men facing the charge can now feel the mass bearing down on them. Impact is imminent.

MEZENTIUS

Hold!

LINE SERGEANTS

Hold!

The line meets the wedge as spears and xystons trade lives. The phalanx wobbles as MEZENTIUS' SOLDIERS desperately try to hold position. The sheer momentum and the shape of the formation turn out to be too much and phalanx breaks into two halves. The MOUNTED SOLDIERS smash thru and are now fully engaged with the remains of the phalanx and the MERCENARIES on each side.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. TRACUS – CITY WALL – MORNING

Pillars of fire mark the advancing army, outlining the orderly ranks and the angry chaos in front them. The SOLDIERS have the discipline and training, the THUGS have desperation and lifetime of instincts sharpened against a cruel world that is stacked against their survival. In the plaza, the two sides form a solid mass of men locked in combat. The battle rages on.

Xena is now above the slave compound, where it appears the battle is over. She takes the nearby stairs down. She takes a running start and grabs the top of the wall with her fingers. One easy lift later, she crouches on top of the wall, and drops gracefully on the other side. Xena makes her way to the gate. The slaves are in still in the stables, waiting for the fighting to stop. The ground around the gate is completely covered with bodies. A score of GLADIATORS is guarding the entrance. Off to the side, a small field hospital has been set, if you can call it that. Old, worn blankets on hard ground mark the beds where about fourteen GLADIATORS are in various stages of injury. Small fire is burning off to the side. Some slaves from the pens are helping, bringing water, preparing linen strips and cleaning the wounds. Moving among them stiffly is Gabrielle. She looks like Hades and is limping slightly. She is covered in blood, sweat, and dirt and Xena can't tell if she has any injuries under all that mess. Gabrielle's armor looks relatively puncture free thou. The only clean part of her is her hands. Gabrielle spots Xena and smiles. Xena moves to her immediately, her expression one of relief.

Gabrielle, sweeping her arm in a circle

GABRIELLE

They will live, Gods willing. Need more herbs, have to cover the wounds they are cleaning now. Did the worst first, stabilized them. Now for the rest.

Xena grabs her by the arm before she can take off. She hands Gabrielle some pouches.

XENA

Always thinking about others first. I know better than to stop you, but right after you finish, you sit down, remove everything, and let me check you. Might clean up too, my one bath a week bard. Go on, healer woman.

Xena releases her grip. Gabrielle grins in answer and resumes her work.

Xena looks over the patients to ensure none are in any danger then checks the few set apart that are beyond help, being comforted by other slaves. Xena sighs and walks over to the gate. One GLADIATOR, a short, powerfully built man with numerous scars, steps forward.

GLADIATOR

You are from the barracks, you were with Gabrielle.

XENA

Xena.

GLADIATOR

Dictus. You sure it was not you fighting with us?

Xena gives him a strange look.

XENA

What happened?

Dictus, still trying to work out what he saw, wonderingly

DICTUS

Damndest thing. After we throw the rest of the spears, Gabrielle orders the attack and charges in, stick swinging. Me and Brisus, we watch her back, but mostly we finish what she started. The mercenaries were good, give them that, but we cut a good number down before they rallied around their leader. That other score of gladiators freeing the slaves rushed to help, but it was going wrong. They were forming again, impressive given the beating we gave them. Proper soldiers those. That's when you arrived.

Xena, confused

XENA

I just got here.

DICTUS

Gabrielle was the best with that staff. Gabrielle with the sword was something else entirely. I saw her, plain as day. She gets this weird look in her eyes, and they seemed … brighter. Like a candle was lit inside them and was shining out. She drops her staff, gives that yell and draws the sword. You could see the fear in those mercenaries. They knew they were facing Xena and so did we.

Xena, relaxing

XENA

Gabrielle can imitate anyone, it's a bard thing.

DICTUS

I can imitate a bird, does not mean I can fly. Gabrielle was on them in the blink, her body and the blade merging together. I seen my fair share of good swordsmanship, take our instructor Marcus. This was legend, straight from your tales. Laughing, darting among them with ease and dropping them effortlessly. Cut them like scythe thru grass and left them bleeding and wounded in her wake. We cleaned up. Had a bit of scare when she went down tangling with the leader, but we pulled the bodies off quickly and I think she just tripped. She even got a kick in at the end. Right in his mouth, shut him up good, she did.

Dictus beams at Xena.

Dictus, proudly

DICTUS

Gabrielle made a fine tale, the one they will sing in taverns around Greece. Ares smiled on us today. Great fight.

Xena mulls this unexpected development for a while.

Xena, sweeping her eyes over the battlefield, agreeing

XENA

Great fight. Set the guard at this gate. Half watch, half rest. The battle will last a day, we stay here.

Dictus bows.

DICTUS

Yes. We are Gabrielle's.

Xena raises an eyebrow at that, but says nothing and walks away.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – SLAVE PENS - NOON

Gabrielle is propped against a wall. She is in her tunic and trousers, all the armor and weapons spread around her. She cleaned up a bit and is now doing maintenance, just about finished with the weapons. She gives the sword another wipe with oil covered rag and sheaths it. She looks up as Xena arrives. Gabrielle stands up and turns around slowly as Xena checks her for injuries. Gabrielle raises an eyebrow and Xena nods.

Gabrielle returns to her original position and Xena drops down next to her. Xena takes out her weapons and borrows Gabrielle's kit as she sets to work on them.

Xena goes for lighter approach.

XENA

Heard you went Xena on the mercenaries and started an army. Can't leave you alone.

GABRIELLE

Not sure what happened. It felt right to toss my staff. I drew my xiphos and I knew, I just knew. I felt a certainty and a sense of purpose. It was like everything came together at once. Xena, I learned swordsmanship from Alcaeus; I learned the art of the sword from you. I was above average before your lessons and on my way to mastery with you but there was something missing. I found it today.

Gabrielle stops cleaning her armor.

GABRIELLE

We were in trouble and the tide was swinging the other way. I felt … responsible. So many had bled already and Hades was still thirsty. I had to make it right; I had to save my men. I realized I could not do it with my staff and that there was only one person who could. I am not sure what I was thinking and what was going thru my head at that moment. I unsheathed my sword, gave your war cry and went at them. That's when everything slid together into place like one of those wooden puzzles. I was not you, I was Gabrielle, but I was different. I can't put it into words, which is weird, because I am a bard and good at that. I was just … different.

Xena, digesting the news decides to leave the it for now, curious

XENA

The wound?

Gabrielle, embarrassed

GABRIELLE

I closed in on the leader. Next thing I know, I am under a pile of bodies and someone is biting my leg. Don't worry, I kicked his teeth out for that. I went thru Tartarus in this fight and instead of a great scar to show off during the telling of my tale I got a lousy bite mark. War is savage.

Xena chuckles.

Xena, teasing

XENA

Everyone wants a taste of you.

GABRIELLE

I can't believe you just went there. Xena, behave.

Xena, innocently

XENA

It is just an expression.

GABRIELLE

If I can't use it on my mother, it is not innocent.

XENA

I am sorry.

Pause. Xena, mischievously

XENA

Everyone wants a piece of you?

GABRIELLE

Xena!

Xena, impishly

XENA

Everyone wants a bite of you?

GABRIELLE

Not the way you say it.

Xena laughs and Gabrielle joins her.

XENA

Feel better now?

GABRIELLE

Yes. My heart is lighter.

Xena, concerned

XENA

How about up here?

Xena points at Gabrielle's head.

GABRIELLE

That will take time.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – SLAVE PENS - EVENING

Gabrielle passes the gate, nodding at the guards, who answer back. She is wearing armor and fully equipped with weapons, all of it cleaned, unlike her own self. She approaches a small area set to the side where some GLADIATORS are sleeping. Dictus meets her, looking at her with respect.

Dictus, admiring

DICTUS

You maintain your gear even in the middle of battle. You were born for this.

GABRIELLE

I learned early in life that there are few things you can depend on. My mentor Praxiteles used to say: “Take care of your woods and they will take care of you”. He was strange, but that just added to his charm.

DICTUS

You lead an interesting life.

GABRIELLE

It has its moments.

Dictus, gathering his courage

DICTUS

You gave us freedom.

GABRIELLE

I just removed your chains and you earned that freedom yourself. Nothing was given and everything was hard won. This is yours, Dictus.

DICTUS

You risked everything to defend nameless slaves and when the need was most dire, you were the hero who saved us.

GABRIELLE

We stood together. You are my brother in arms.

DICTUS

What then?

GABRIELLE

The army taking the city had a rough day. I will put a good word in with their leaders. You will have a home Dictus; I take care of my own.

DICTUS

It was an honor to fight with you.

GABRIELLE

In the name of Ares.

They clasp forearms.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – SLAVE PEN - NIGHT

Xena and Gabrielle are standing outside the compound. The lower and middle city is burning around them, thou the fires are starting to die down.

GABRIELLE

You sent word?

Xena nods.

From the south a group of MERCHANTS approach the compound gate. One of them strides self-importantly ahead of the group. Xena moves to intercept.

MERCHANT, haughtily

MERCHANT

I want my property.

Xena looks at Gabrielle. Gabrielle signals 1 with her finger. Xena shows 5 with her entire hand. Gabrielle shakes her head “no” and raises a single digit. Xena sighs and turns to bewildered merchant. She draws the sword and takes his head off.

XENA

Business is closed. Now I am not sure if Gabrielle was signaling killing you one at a time or just one of you, so if I were you, I would leave the city.

MERCHANTS run away screaming. Xena walks back to Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE

Xena! One is a signal to rough him up. Five is off with his head.

XENA

Sorry. We need to work on that.

GABRIELLE

You did that on purpose.

Xena, pleading

XENA

Please don't be angry at me. Gabrielle, you nearly died defending the slaves. And this scum wanted to profit from your sacrifice. Message was sent and those buyers now need to find other ways to acquire slaves. Slavery is legal and there are proper ways to go about this. This market is not.

Gabrielle, mollified only a little, unhappily

GABRIELLE

It was not the act itself; it was the flippant remark that followed.

Xena speaks in low voice.

Xena, sadly

XENA

You expect that from me, the violence I mean. It is now a given to you. Then I open my mouth and make it worse.

Xena sees talking it is not helping. Xena opens her arms and Gabrielle hugs her fiercely at first, and then softens the embrace and they hold for a while. They break and Gabrielle is wiping tears from her eyes.

Gabrielle, sniffling

GABRIELLE

The day is starting to catch up to me.

Xena nods, but says nothing.

Gabrielle, speculatively

GABRIELLE

You are getting good at this emotional support thing.

Xena, admitting

XENA

Honestly Gabrielle, I just now figured out that with you, when the talk is not working, go for the hug.

Gabrielle can't help but smile a little.

GABRIELLE

My best friend. My hero.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – SLAVE PEN - NIGHT

Xena and Gabrielle are standing outside the compound, in front of the gate. It is some time after the events with the merchants and Gabrielle has composed herself. Agranon rides up to them and dismounts.

Agranon, informatively

AGRANON

The city is secure.

Gabrielle, concerned

GABRIELLE

Did the Gods watch over yours?

AGRANON

My father took two spears leading the charge, but he will live. Others were not so fortunate; three quarters of the army is either dead or wounded. I think everyone had their fill of war for a long, long time. We had skirmishes before and small clashes, but after this there is no appetite for further bloodshed and everyone just wants to go home and live in peace. You were right Xena, the feud died here.

XENA

Mezentius?

AGRANON

Did not go down quietly. He fought thru the cavalry and made for the main street. They made their last stand there. Corpses were piled to the windows by the time that was over.

GABRIELLE

You need replacements and the gladiators will make good soldiers. I recommend them without reservation.

AGRANON

We heard about the battle of slave pens, it is the talk of the army. Any man who stood with you will be welcome to join.

GABRIELLE

The slaves are no more. They are now free men, women, and children.

AGRANON

Of course. We will offer them homes or assistance in returning to their villages. They will be taken care of, both Kings swear to that.

XENA

Tracus?

AGRANON

The upper town survived mostly intact and is now being looted. The city will be razed once that is done. Our own were taken to funeral pyres outside the walls; theirs we tossed into the flames.

Agranon points at the remaining burning houses.

GABRIELLE

I weep for the fallen and sing for the living. A good thing was done here Agranon.

AGRANON

Aye. My wedding is in a month, marking new, joined life for our kingdoms. You are both welcome anytime. May your road be straight and the Gods kind.

GABRIELLE

May the Gods bless you with many a child.

Agranon nods to Xena and she nods back. He mounts his horse and rides off.

Gabrielle, hopeful

GABRIELLE

In the ashes of Tracus, new future arises.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP - EVENING

Xena and Gabrielle are eating soup out of wooden bowls. They are sitting around a fire on a log. Xena is wearing the tunic while Gabrielle has armor and all her weapons.

GABRIELLE

Xena?

XENA

Yes?

Gabrielle, loaded with meaning, seriously

GABRIELLE

Why let me go?

Xena, avoiding her penetrating eyes, evasively

XENA

I said I believed in you. It was time others did as well.

GABRIELLE

That already happened.

Xena, unable to stop, revealingly

XENA

This was different. Leadership is earned in the hearts of men. You motivated them, you organized them, you lead them, you fought with them, and you willed them to victory. Because they believed in you; because they loved you; because you loved them. You said it yourself: my men.

Gabrielle, suddenly wishing Xena would drop it, quietly

GABRIELLE

Not with you.

XENA

You know what I told Marcus?

Gabrielle, knowing what's coming, beseeching

GABRIELLE

Don't do this.

XENA

Gabrielle's will.

Gabrielle, standing up and moving away, turning her back to Xena

GABRIELLE

I don't want it.

XENA

You already have it. You had it from the beginning.

Gabrielle, bowing her head, apologetically

GABRIELLE

I'm sorry.

Xena sets her bowl down and comes over. She stands in front of Gabrielle, lifting her chin up and locking eyes. Gabrielle clutches her bowl with both hands, fingers tight with tension.

Xena, strongly

XENA

You made a choice. Now you know what you chose.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

 

 

Return to the Academy