Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“My Friend ”

Episode 2, Part 1

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP - PRE DAWN

Xena opens her eyes halfway as she senses something out of place. Fire is almost out, embers glowing in a circle of charred earth and ash. Gabrielle's bed of branches is empty and her bow is gone; staff is still there, as is the armor. Slightest whisper of leaves rustling alerts her as Gabrielle appears from forest, bringing more dry wood for the fire, and then again melts into the woods. Xena rolls out of her bedroll and turns her attention to the fire, stoking it alive. She then fills the pot from waterskin and sets it on a stones near the fire. Xena walks to Argo and inspects the harness and the saddle. She checks her armor, bracers and greaves and grunts in satisfaction.

XENA

Well Argo, someone did a good job here, waterskins are full and breakfast is being hunted. I do think that we are going to keep her.

ARGO

Snort.

Xena, chuckling

XENA

Yes, and she is easy on the eyes.

She wonders why she said that. No matter. Xena moves over to Gabrielle's spot and takes a look at the pile of arrows Gabrielle pulled out of the bodies. Xena starts working on repairing those that can reused and salvaging the arrowheads from those that can't. She noticed Gabrielle took a bundle of saplings from Draco's camp that are dry and ready to be worked on. She cuts them into shafts that are a little longer that what Gabrielle is using and starts straightening them out.

Xena looks up as the usually quiet Gabrielle is approaching a tad louder than normal and she tenses. The cause is made plain as Gabrielle steps out with a small deer draped over her shoulders.

Xena, noticing the outfit

XENA

That is my gore and blood covered tunic you are wearing, right?

GABRIELLE

For someone who is so hands off, there is sure a lot of you ending up on me.

Xena blushes and clears her throat, looking away.

Gabrielle, laughing

GABRIELLE

Even?

XENA

Even.

Gabrielle sets to cutting the steaks and preparing the rest of the meat for salting.

GABRIELLE

Plan?

XENA

We cut to the road, it is a trade route and there will be caravans. Merchants don't ask questions. Plus they are a great source of news, we should find our next destination there.

GABRIELLE

The greater good will never be the same.

XENA

The what?

GABRIELLE

The greatest good for the greatest number of people. The whole sacrifice one to save a thousand. We don't have a whole lot to work with here. Hercules can keep his monsters, we are going to help people, ordinary folks.

XENA

The one sacrificed for the cause better not be me. You mean we help the very same I oppressed and exploited for eleven years?

GABRIELLE

Yes.

XENA

You realize that there is that whole “them trying to kill me on sight” issue, right?

Gabrielle, dismissively

GABRIELLE

Details, details.

Xena, pointedly

XENA

Sharp and blunt details, all aimed at my skin.

GABRIELLE

Great, at last we have humor. Black humor, but it is a start. Better than the “I am monster, kill me now” black despair.

XENA

Gabrielle!

GABRIELLE

There is a saying about virtue:

She nestles in rough untroden rocks

And reigns a divine, sacred land.

Not all mortals can see her.

Only those,

whose burning desire in their heart

leads them to the greatest deeds.

Xena, impressed

XENA

Yours?

GABRIELLE

I am a bard, not a poet. It's Simonides, something from village school.

Xena, looking at Gabrielle kind of funny

XENA

Only boys go to school …

Gabrielle, quietly

GABRIELLE

Gabe went to school.

Xena, confused

XENA

Who is Gabe?

GABRIELLE

I was. Gabe, the son of Herodotus, my father.

 

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INT. POTIDAEA – GABRIELLE'S HOUSE - 11 YRS AGO/SPRING/EARLY MORNING

Gabrielle wakes up on the straw lined pallet she shares with her sister Lila. The room is small and the only other furniture is a wooden chest. She can hear her parents arguing in the courtyard. The small, single story mud brick house is built around an open courtyard with kitchen and storage on one side, and her parents' room on the other. The childrens' room forms the back of the U shape.

HERODOTUS

… work the fields, too much work and not enough hands.

HECUBA

She is only six and the wolves tore up that child last winter and …

HERODOTUS

I will arrange for Alcaeus to give her staff lessons.

HECUBA

But …

HERODOTUS

Damn woman, you are trying my patience. Where are the sons to help their father in the fields? All you gave me is two girls, and now I have three worthless mouths that I have to feed. Where is my son! You can't even get one thing right in your entire life. In the name of Zeus, where is my son! WHERE!

HECUBA

Herodotus …

Gabrielle hears a loud crack and then a sound of body hitting the ground. She hears her mother crying and the heavy steps of her father heading for front door, opening it, then slamming it shut. She sinks deeper under the covers and Lila latches on tighter.

 

CUT TO:

INT. POTIDAEA – GABRIELLE'S HOUSE - 11 YEARS AGO/SPRING/EVENING

Gabrielle is sweeping the courtyard, when she hears heavy and unsteady footsteps of her father approach the front door. He opens the door and stumbles in, drunk. He is carrying a bundle of clothes. His eyes fall on Gabrielle and she can see that they shine with madness. He shoves the bundle at her and she drops the broom and grabs it.

HERODOTUS

You are Gabe, my son. You wear men's clothes. You start work outside the house tomorrow. The barn and sheep are your responsibility. You will take them out to the pasture before dawn and bring them back in the evening. In the morning you have chores and then you go to school till noon. Alcaeus will train you with the staff in the afternoon. You will spend the rest of the day and weekends with the sheep. Gabe, don't disappoint your father.

Herodotus moves up to her and grabs her roughly by the long hair.

Herodotus, unhappily

HERODOTUS

Tell your mother to cut this.

He lifts her up by the hair until she is standing on her toes. She starts crying.

HERODOTUS

What is your name?

Gabrielle, knowing that survival in this house depends on playing his game, acquiesces

GABRIELLE

Gabriel … Gabe, I am Gabe.

Herodotus lowers her and releases her hair. He then hugs surprised Gabrielle.

HERODOTUS

Gabe, I love you and want the best for you. You will make me proud, won't you?

Gabrielle, quietly, sniffling

GABRIELLE

Yes, da.

Herodotus smiles at her.

Herodotus, yelling loudly

HERODOTUS

Hecuba!

Hecuba comes out of the kitchen, hand mark on her bruised face.

HERODOTUS

My son Gabe comes after me in the amount of food he gets. He is going to work hard for this family, unlike others. Is that clear?

Hecuba glances at Gabrielle, then at the bundle in her hands and lowers her eyes. There is great sorrow there.

Hecuba, with a weary acceptance, resignedly

HECUBA

Yes.

HERODOTUS

Add furniture to his room, my son deserves better. Table and chair for a start.

Hecuba walks to the children's room without a word.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST - LATE MORNING

Gabrielle stops talking and they walk on in silence.

Xena, incredulously

XENA

Everyone just accepted the fact that you were now a man?

GABRIELLE

My father has an explosive temper, knack for fighting, and the body to back it up. Besides, you know how people are. At first it is strange, then it becomes common, and in the end Gabrielle never existed. Women in our village spend their entire lives in the home, first in their father's, then in their husband's. Potidaea is very traditional. Only the elders did not accept; young boys I grew up with considered me one of their own.

Xena, grinning

XENA

The curves did not tip them off?

GABRIELLE

I was a boy with unusual chest growth

Xena, laughing

XENA

I will say.

Xena, growing serious

XENA

You hated it?

GABRIELLE

It was a price I paid for freedom.

XENA

I don't understand, how can you be free living in someone else's body?

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

I was a woman who was a man in a men's world.

Xena, shaking her head

XENA

You bards and your twisted tongue.

GABRIELLE

Add acting to the list of my talents. Everyone from my parents to my peers bought the act. Gabrielle lived outside of the village, in the fields, woods and pastures around Potidaea.

XENA

I was a tomboy, and got into a world of trouble for it. You took it to extreme and got rewarded for it.

Gabrielle, batting her eyelashes at Xena

GABRIELLE

I am a sweet, innocent girl whose purity of heart and thought would put a Hestian virgin to shame.

Xena, teasing

XENA

Says the wild woman who ran with wolves and wrestled bears.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

Well, you know us heroic types, it is far too easy to shoot a bear with an arrow. You have to beat it to death with your fists to get any respect from fellow bards, let alone expect them to make a fine tale of it.

XENA

You are a strange, strange woman.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – INN - 10 YEARS AGO/SUMMER/AFTERNOON

On the grass field behind the inn Alcaeus is watching his student, a young boy named Gabe, go thru the staff drills. There is a natural talent in the boy, the way he picks up the new instructions and the way he blends them into the growing list of his moves. His fellow militia instructor Galenos approaches from the direction of the inn. They served in a campaign together and developed a bond. But soldier's life was not for them and they returned to their home with the spoils of war and set up a hard, yet mostly comfortable life here.

GALENOS

They will be recruiting that one, that's for sure.

ALCAEUS

Most of us are born farmers, few are born fighters. Took us both a while to figure that out, heh Galenos?

GALENOS

Not Gabe. He was not born for dirt, there is fire in those eyes and a will to win that is frightening.

ALCAEUS

Did you see him go after those older boys? No fear. Ah, to be young and invincible.

GALENOS

Speak for yourself, old man.

They both laugh.

ALCAEUS

He asked about the shortbow the other day, wants to learn the whole thing, including arrow making.

GALENOS

That brute Herodotus will not be happy.

ALCAEUS

That's why I decided to do it. The man needs to be put in his place.

GALENOS

Good for you. Yes, Gabe will be something one day.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – TOWN SQUARE - 6 YEARS AGO/SPRING/NOON

Gabrielle goes behind the inn, where Alcaeus is setting up some straw targets for archery practice.

GABRIELLE

Hello teacher.

ALCAEUS

You long passed the point where anyone here, including me, can challenge you with a staff. And as for bows, one of our village hunters told me a little story about a certain someone who dropped a running buck at ninety yards and then faded into the woods without a trace. Does not know how that person knew he was there and found no evidence of anyone being in the area. All he saw was a flash of blond hair and then nothing.

Gabrielle, supplying helpfully

GABRIELLE

Wood spirit.

ALCAEUS

I recognized the arrow, only one person I know who makes them that length and with that fletching design.

Gabrielle, innocently

GABRIELLE

Wood spirit that stole my arrow?

Alcaeus, harrumphing loudly

ALCAEUS

This is going to be trouble, is it not? What do you want Gabe?

GABRIELLE

Set of ten steel throwing knifes, armor and weapon kit, sword and mace training, and leather armor.

ALCAEUS

You don't ask for much, do you? How will you pay?

GABRIELLE

Meat and skins.

ALCAEUS

Winters get harder the older I get and your offer is welcome. I will get you the equipment and we can meet in the pasture for training. Word of advice. Stay away from the other village hunters, they know something is tracking them in the woods and they are so jumpy they are bound to put a hole in someone by accident. Incidentally, how did you get so good at it?

GABRIELLE

Praxiteles.

ALCAEUS

Crazy Praxiteles? Crazy Praxiteles?! Gabe, when people put crazy in front of your name, visits stop.

GABRIELLE

Yes teacher.

ALCAEUS

Go on, get. All others see is the obedient and dutiful son that any father would be proud of, but I know better. You are trouble.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – PASTURE - 5 YEARS AGO/WINTER/EVENING

It is an overcast night, the air crisp and a light wind blowing from the north. A blanket of snow is covering the ground. The sheep are moving toward Potidaea and appear excited to be heading home. Gabrielle is dressed in thick woolen tunic and trousers set in long boots. She has her leather armor on and is wearing a heavy cloak over everything. She is moving around the herd, trying to spot the wolves moving around her in the darkness. Gabrielle sees a shadow dart toward the herd from the side and she moves to intercept. It dashes back into the darkness. And so the dance continues as she steadily works her way closer to the village. She can now see the fenced pasture on her father's land and the herd picks up speed. The howls of the wolves grow desperate and they abandon the sheep and focus on the human. Gabrielle knows she is running out of time. She drops her cloak and shifts the staff to the left hand. She figures there were 10-14 wolves around her so she needs to start evening the odds quickly. Knives fly and 5 dark bodies lie still in the snowy embrace. She sets into basic staff stance and goes over what Praxiteles told her of pack hunting.

GABRIELLE

Few will distract from the front, one will come from behind and go for the legs.

She hears the motion behind her on the soft snow and spins around. Two wolves are making for her legs. She brings the staff down on the closest one's head and then rolls as the second one lounges at her. She comes up kneeling on one knee and brings the staff into vertical sweep, cracking it hard in the ribs as she hears bones break. She springs to her feet.

GABRIELLE

One will come directly at you going for the throa … ooof.

Something hits her back hard and claws rake her armor. She spins away to the left and with a quick strike adds another still body to the landscape.

Gabrielle looks at remaining wolves in front of her.

GABRIELLE

No fair. Come and fight like proper wolves.

The four remaining wolves all charge at once, going straight for her.

GABRIELLE

Oops.

She uses the staff to pick up the cloak and whips it at the charging wolves. Three get tangled and that gives her the time to deal with them. She secures the knives afterwards. Breathing hard more from nerves than effort, she goes to the pasture and secures the herd. Then she takes the armor off and tosses it in the barn thru the secret entrance, covering it with hay. Wrapping the cloak around her, she heads home.

GABRIELLE

Well, it could have been worse. This turned out to be a good day after all.

 

CUT TO:

INT. POTIDAEA – GABRIELLE'S PARENTS HOUSE - 5 YRS AGO/MINUTES LATER

Gabrielle enters the house and goes to the kitchen. Her parents are at a table with a scroll spread out and there is expectant excitement in the air. Her mother beams at her and her father is looking pleased.

HERODOTUS

Gabe, I found a suitable husband for you. We signed the papers with the reeve and the marriage is now officially arranged.

HECUBA

Perdicus and you will make a lovely couple.

Gabrielle's legs almost give out.

GABRIELLE

Marriage …

 

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – ROAD – AFTERNOON

Xena and Gabrielle have reached the road and are waiting for the approaching caravan.

Xena, curious

XENA

How close to running away were you that night?

GABRIELLE

When my father said “husband”, I was already in the forests.

XENA

So runaway bride, what is the bounty on your fair head?

GABRIELLE

Why?

Xena, casually

XENA

Oh you know us warlords, always scheming for drachmas, when we are not stealing innocence from young nubiles.

Gabrielle, eyes twinkling

GABRIELLE

I am the sculptor of your legend, the words dancing on my lips, shaping and bending to my will, the unrivaled master whose words ring thru the ages and grow in the hearts of men.

Xena, in a small voice

XENA

I will be good now.

The creaking wagons roll to a stop. The MERCHANTS take in their armor and numerous weapons and a pensive silence falls as they crowd together, seeking comfort in numbers. Gabrielle, breaking into a wide smile

GABRIELLE

It is a beautiful day for shopping. What me with all that money and you with all those goods …

The ice breaks and the MERCHANTS mill around her as she heads for the wagons with her backpack. Soon, the sounds of heated bargaining float lazily on the breeze. Xena stays on the side of the road and glances at the one who appears to be the leader of this group. She beckons him with her head and he quickly heads over.

LEAD MERCHANT

I recon you not much for trinkets and you sure aren't the idly chatting type.

XENA

News?

LEAD MERCHANT

We just went thru Crenides, half a day north. They captured Xena and are holding her in the town jail. Word is, they found her in the tavern falling drunk and the rest was easy. They will hang her as soon as not and sell the body to any number of interested parties. Trouble is, bounty hunters found out and now there are fights breaking out and even talk of freeing her so they can sell her themselves. Bigger problem, rumor has it that a few warlords are on the way, either to free her or kill her. The woman is cursed, I tell you. Damn fools should have just killed her and threw her body to the animals. Now they got a town full of trouble.

XENA

It's about to get more full ..

LEAD MERCHANT

Sorry?

XENA

You saw her?

LEAD MERCHANT

I am not one to pass the chance and have a tale from the road for the children. We all sure did. Like an animal she was. Tall like you, with long, wild black hair, and eyes that burned right thru you. Strange, she looked just like you, except … manlier. And if you went all crazy. Even with all the chains, there is not enough gold on Olympus to get me to step into a cell with her.

LEAD MERCHANT shudders at the memory and heads back to the wagons. Gabrielle passes him as she returns with visibly lighter backpack plus a large bundle wrapped in bedroll. She hands Xena a small jingling pouch filled with coins.

GABRIELLE

Here.

Gabrielle, proudly

GABRIELLE

The furs were a hit. The merchants knew they had us and the price was low, but it was a lot more than I expected so it worked out. Got a bedroll, blankets, clothes of various thickness and padding, spices and herbs, olive oil, and a skillet.

Gabrielle, waving to the departing caravan

GABRIELLE

May Hermes fill your pouches with drachmas and watch over you on the road.

MERCHANTS, in chorus

MERCHANTS

Blessing of the Gods to you travelers.

The wagons move away and leave them on the side of the road. Xena removes her saddlebag from the horse.

XENA

You get half of my saddlebag, rest you carry on your back. Cooking gear goes in the usual place.

Gabrielle starts packing, leaving few items for her backpack. She finishes, stands, adjusts her weapons, and looks at Xena as they start walking.

GABRIELLE

Plan?

XENA

Rescue.

GABRIELLE

Who we rescuing?

XENA

Me.

GABRIELLE

Yes, and that is my fulltime job.

XENA

The evil me.

GABRIELLE

Exactly.

XENA

You said I was good.

GABRIELLE

I said that you have good in you, not that you are made of pure cute puppies and cuddly babies goodness.

XENA

They captured a more manly version of me in the town to the north.

GABRIELLE

I am a noticing a disturbing trend regarding our choice of clothes.

XENA

Speaks a woman who claims to be a woman yet is wearing, at the moment as always, all male outfit. And just bought more of the same. You know, people will start talking.

GABRIELLE

Don't give a hoot, can't fight or hunt in a dress. Besides, I had a complicated childhood. You don't have that excuse. At least you are not wearing trousers. Thou your manly version probably is. Which is disturbing and proves my earlier point about wardrobe and us.

Few startled peasants fly out of the high grass on the side of the road. In a smooth motion Gabrielle drops her staff, unslings her bow, notches an arrow and lets fly. Second one follows and two birds drop.

GABRIELLE

Mmm, dinner. What?

Xena, starring at her in amazement

XENA

You are the best archer in Greece.

Gabrielle, stunned

GABRIELLE

What?! That … that was nothing.

XENA

That was magic.

Gabrielle tries to hide her blush as she heads over to the field of grass. After a short search she find the birds, removes the arrows and brings them back. She hands one to Xena and starts walking, plucking as she does. Xena stares at the bird and then at her.

Gabrielle, pointing at her backpack

GABRIELLE

Just toss the tail feathers in there.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. CRENIDES – CAMP IN NEARBY FOREST – EVENING

Two women are sitting by the fire, tossing bones into it as they finish their meal.

XENA

All right, now for the plan. You will like this part.

Gabrielle's suspicious, yet sleepy eyes fix on Xena. Gabrielle, defiantly

GABRIELLE

Full, not moving.

Xena, with a small smile

XENA

You will really like this part.

Gabrielle closes her eyes and pretends to snore. Xena, tickling her awake with grass

XENA

Jail is on the south side, and I need a distraction to sneak in. Take off everything except tunic, trousers, boots and belt. You can keep your boot knives but push them in deeper. Take a staff along, no other weapons. I want you to go to the north side of town and roll in the dirt on the road.

Gabrielle is looking at her with a puzzled expression. Xena gets up and goes to Argo, finds a wineskin and tosses it to Gabrielle.

.

XENA

Pour some on your tunic, your hair and your face. Don't drink it. Well?

GABRIELLE

How big a distraction?

XENA

Wake a few locals, bump into few people, nothing criminal. Start at midnight.

Gabrielle sheds her equipment, grabs her staff and slings the wineskin over her shoulder. Gabrielle, cheerfully

GABRIELLE

Done and done.

She leaves whistling.

Xena, uneasy

Xena

I have a bad feeling about this.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. CRENIDES – NORTH ROAD – PRE MIDNIGHT

Gabrielle searches for signs of life and finding none, glides stealthily to the road and steps on it. The town is dark, save for few torches spread along the main road. Gabrielle drops her staff and wineskin on the grass bordering it and starts to do rolls and flips on the road. She is giggling and having fun. After a while, she stops, stands up, shakes the dust off, and coughs. She walks over to the wineskin and uncorking, she takes a sniff.

GABRIELLE

Wow, that smells like fruit. And my throat is dry and scratchy from the dust. Xena won't mind if I just take a sip.

She drinks a small amount and her eyes open wider in appreciation.

GABRIELLE

Where have you been all my life, sweet ambrosia of the Gods.

She reluctantly pours the wine over herself, then takes a few more swigs, then a few more. She puts the wineskin over her shoulder, picks up her staff and tries to march resolutely into town, but her legs are not cooperating. She stumbles down the road.

GABRIELLE

Right, wake the town, bring the watch running over. I have got just the thing.

Gabrielle takes a deep breath, and breaks into a loud, bawdy song.

GABRIELLE

A dragon has come to our village today.

We've asked him to leave, but he won't go away.

Now he's talked to our reeve and they worked out a deal.

No homes will he burn and no crops will he steal.

Gabrielle continues to walk down the street, knocking down the torches as she goes. Lights appear in windows as candles are lit inside. She can hear the footsteps of men running in her direction. She continues

GABRIELLE

Now there is but one catch, we dislike it a bunch.

Twice a year he invites him a virgin to lunch.

Well, we've no other choice, so the deal we'll respect.

But we can't help but wonder and pause to reflect.

 

Do virgins taste better than those who are not?

Are they salty, or sweeter, more juicy or what?

Do you savor them slowly? Gulp them down on the spot?

Do virgins taste better than those who are not?

Angry voices rise as house doors open and TOWNSPEOPLE appear in sleep shirts. A WATCH of town militia runs up and halts in front of Gabrielle. They are followed by a few MERCENARIES, obviously the bounty hunters after Xena.

WATCH COMMNADER, addressing the TOWNSPEOPLE

WATCH COMMNADER

Sorry folks, just some drunk with bad voice. Everything is under control, head inside.

WATCH COMMANDER

Listen citizen, hand over the wineskin and head to the inn to sleep it off and we will forget this ever happened.

GABRIELLE

Now we'd like to be shed of you, and many have tried.

But no one can get thru your thick scaly hide.

We hope that some day, some brave fighter will come by.

'Cause we can't wait around 'til you're too fat to fly.

WATCH COMMANDER steps forward and then stops realizing this is a woman.

Gabrielle whips the staff and he is down before he even registers the strike.

GABRIELLE

For art!

She sweeps the second man off his feet and kicks him in the chin. The third gets the staff between the legs and collapses limply. This gives the time for the fourth to sound the alarm.

WATCH GUARD #4

TOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Now chaos erupts as arriving WATCH REINFORCEMENTS engage the present MERCENARIES and additional MERCENARIES arrive to help their own. Before long there is a full blown brawl in the town square. Gabrielle sits on the ground, takes a long pull from the wineskin and watches the rumble, grinning happily

GABRIELLE

Gabrielle, you done good. Xena will be proud. Hic.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. CRENIDES – JAIL – MIDNIGHT

Xena moves quietly thru the town until she can see the town jail. It is a single story building, with thick stone walls and no windows. Torches are lit around it and mercenaries camp in the back. In the front the town WATCH of four men keeps guard. All is peaceful. Suddenly a very loud, carrying voice is heard coming from the north and Xena smiles. The watch takes off and few mercenaries join them. Xena slips to the front door like a fragment of the night and is thru in a blink.

 

CUT TO:

INT. CRENIDES – JAIL, FRONT – MIDNIGHT

Xena pauses just inside and holds her breath. A single room takes the entire front of the building. In the back, heavy wooden reinforced door leads to the rest of it. Next to that door hangs a ring of keys. The furniture consists of a table, some chairs, a few chests, and a straw pallet on which a JAIL GUARD sleeps, snoring loudly. Xena walks over and tries the door, finding it open. She enters the cell area. Four small cells line the far wall. Iron bars are set close apart and the whole enterprise has a solid look of finality. Only one cell has a prisoner. The door is securely held with several chains and multiple locks. Xena walks over, crouches, looks inside, and then takes a sharp breath.

Xena, not believing her eyes, recognizing the features so like her own

XENA

Toris?

TORIS

…

XENA

Brother …

Toris, continuing to ignore her, staring hard

TORIS

…

XENA

I went home to Amphipolis to see mother. She disowned me and turned me over to the mob.

Toris, observing coldly

TORIS

You have that effect on people.

XENA

Not anymore.

Toris, dismissively

TORIS

You are the same. You are incapable of change; it is not in your nature. Freak.

Xena, ignoring the insult, wonderingly, as if unable to accept the fact

XENA

Gabrielle believes in me.

TORIS

Another of your lieutenants?

XENA

No, my … my … my friend.

And she accepts it.

Toris, rebuking

TORIS

That does not change the past.

XENA

No, it does not. It creates new future.

Toris, appeased for now, intrigued

TORIS

Tell me about this Gabrielle.

XENA

You will like her. She reminds me of …

Xena falls silent, the unspoken name hanging heavy in the air.

Toris, guessing, knowing the answer already

TORIS

Lyceus?

XENA

It all started with him. Now it ends with him. Ironic.

TORIS

Heard he died in the beginning …

XENA

…

TORIS

Do you hate me for running away? Do you blame me for his death?

Xena, after a pause heavy with consideration, honestly

XENA

… Yes.

Toris, surprised

TORIS

Yet you will save me?

Xena, stating the simple truth

XENA

You are family. My family.

 

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. CRENIDES – NORTH PART – NIGHT

WATCH COMMANDER wakes up and puts a hand to his battered head. He looks around stunned at the fighting and then his eyes find Gabrielle lying on the ground and watching the open sky sprinkled with distant lights.

WATCH COMMANDER, roaring

WATCH COMMANDER

You!

Gabrielle, tilting get her head in his direction, giggling

GABRIELLE

Seen any stars lately? Hee hee. Hic.

WATCH COMMANDER, standing up shakily and yelling at the top of his voice

WATCH COMMANDER

STOP!!!

Everyone halts.

WATCH COMMANDER, pointing at Gabrielle

WATCH COMMANDER

She started the fight, arrest her.

Gabrielle, indignantly

GABRIELLE

I defended the arts. Dionysus ' curse on you lot!

The town WATCH pick Gabrielle up and take away her staff and wineskin. They drag her away towards town jail. The remaining disheveled and bruised men eye each other wearily and head back to their respective corners.

 

CUT TO:

INT. CRENIDES – JAIL, BACK – PAST MIDNIGHT

Xena decides it is time they left. Gabrielle can only buy her so much time.

Xena, standing up

XENA

I will get the keys.

She moves to the door and hears voices. She quickly runs to last unused cell on the right and burrows into straw pallet. Multiple footsteps enter the room.

WATCH COMMANDER

Keep her far away from Xena; put her in that last cell on the right.

GABRIELLE

Do I get three meals a day?

Xena, whispering thru clenched teeth

XENA

Must not kill Gabrielle.

WATCH COMMANDER

You will get something, all right. You are lucky nobody died in the riot you caused.

The WATCH drag Gabrielle inside the cell and throw her on the pallet.

XENA

Ooof.

Gabrielle pounds her pallet with fists.

XENA

Zeus, give me strength.

Gabrielle, pouting

GABRIELLE

My bed is lumpy and it talks.

WATCH COMMANDER

Gods, she is more dangerous than Xena.

WATCH COMMANDER, to WATCH GUARDS, ordering

WATCH COMMANDER

Lock the inner door after we leave. Go to the barracks, get extra men and double the watch. I want this town locked down and under patrol.

They all leave and the bolt slides into place behind them.

Toris, stating the obvious

TORIS

New plan?

XENA

Gabrielle, get off the bed.

Gabrielle, resolutely

GABRIELLE

You are not real.

XENA

Gabe, get off the bed.

Gabrielle, happily

GABRIELLE

Xena!

Pause. Gabrielle, confusion evident, frowning

GABRIELLE

Why are you hiding in my bed? Is this part of the plan?

Xena flexes and Gabrielle jumps off the bed with a yelp. Xena gets out from the straw, shaking bits out of her hair.

XENA

I asked you to stage a diversion, not an invasion of drunken bards.

Xena pauses and moves closer, checking Gabrielle's eyes.

XENA

You are drunk, aren't you?

GABRIELLE

No … hic … a little.

Gabrielle, licking her lips

GABRIELLE

Sweet like honey.

Gabrielle, suddenly

GABRIELLE

I want a hug.

Xena, sternly

XENA

No touching.

Toris, hopefully

TORIS

I am all for touching.

Xena, to Toris

XENA

Nobody asked you.

Xena, to Gabrielle, sweetly

XENA

I dropped my chakram in the straw, can you find it for me?

Gabrielle dives into the straw with enthusiasm. Xena walks over to the door and makes short work of the lock with her lock pick set. She heads over to Toris' cell and starts working the locks.

TORIS

Nice skills.

Xena, drolly

XENA

Jail. Warlord occupational hazard.

TORIS

Your friend is … interesting. And drunk.

Xena, looking at Toris with apology in her eyes, explaining guiltily

XENA

Dessert wine, very sweet and very strong.

Xena finishes with the chains and locks on the doors and moves inside the cell to start on the shackles there. She works quickly and soon they both step out of the cell. She walks over to the reinforced door and realizes it can only be unlocked from the other side. Gabrielle takes that moment to step out of the cell with a crestfallen expression on her face. Then she spots the chakram on Xena's hip and her face lights up as she makes a run at it.

Gabrielle, triumphantly and with enthusiasm

GABRIELLE

Found it!

Xena dodges Gabrielle's outstretched hands and gently guides her to Toris.

XENA

Calm her down, talk to her. Don't get cute, she will tear you apart.

Toris is clearly taken with Gabrielle. Toris, smiling warmly yet shyly, gently

TORIS

Hi Gabrielle. I'm Toris, Xena's brother.

Gabrielle, petulantly

GABRIELLE

Don't like, don't want.

She turns around, a big smile erupting on her face as she spreads her arms and makes a beeline for Xena. Toris, grabbing Gabrielle by the back of her tunic, opens his mouth

XENA

Don't say it if you want to live.

Toris raises both of his hands to show he is surrendering and releases his hold on Gabrielle. She immediately takes advantage of the opportunity.

Gabrielle, belting out the rest of the tune

GABRIELLE

Now you have such good taste in your women for sure,

They always are pretty, they always are pure.

But your notion of dining, it makes us all flinch,

For your favorite entree is barbecued wench.

 

Now we've found a solution, it works out so neat,

If you insist on nothing but virgins to eat.

No more will our number ever grow small,

We'll simply make sure there's no virgins at all!

JAIL GUARD, yelling angrily from the cot in the next room

JAIL GUARD

For Hades' sake wench, be quiet or by the Gods I will put my fists on you!

Something heavy strikes the reinforced doors. Toris doubles over in laughter and Xena looks mortified. Gabrielle giggles and saunters over to her cell. When Gabrielle returns, she winks at them as she shows the object she stole from the WATCH.

GABRIELLE

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

JAIL GUARD

You are dead!

Heavy feet stomp toward them and the bolt is thrown back as the door swings open. Xena's fist meets JAIL GUARD's chin and the JAIL GUARD drops unconscious with a broken jaw. Toris grabs the key ring and drags the JAIL GUARD into his cell and locks him up. Xena and Gabrielle head thru the open door.

 

CUT TO:

INT. CRENIDES – JAIL, FRONT – NIGHT

Xena looks around and spots a waterskin. She takes a few swigs then puts some herbs into it and heads for Gabrielle. Who wondered around the room and found the wineskin and her staff. Xena stands still, watching Gabrielle. Toris, coming back, notices this and stops in the doorway. Gabrielle stands holding the wineskin in her hand with a mix of longing and repulsion. She then sighs and sets it down. She turns around to find Xena observing her.

Xena, handing Gabrielle the waterskin

XENA

Finish the whole thing.

Gabrielle dutifully drinks the contents. The effects of the drugs are instantaneous.

GABRIELLE

Sleepy.

Xena guides her to the back and onto one of the pallets. Xena comes back to the front and looks at Toris.

XENA

Her father was a mean drunk from what I could gather and he liked his mead often and in quantity. It is more of what she leaves out than what she says.

Toris sits on the edge of the table and faces Xena.

Toris, philosophically

TORIS

We all have our demons.

Xena, admitting

XENA

Mine drove me over the edge.

TORIS

…

XENA

You can go home Toris. I did.

Toris, unconvinced

TORIS

It is not that simple.

XENA

It is the easiest thing in the world. The hard part comes later.

Toris, deciding on truth, confessing

TORIS

I impersonated you because I knew that word would get out and you would come after me. Rumor had you in these parts again. This is a trap.

Xena, not surprised

XENA

Who set it?

TORIS

Bion. He said you would cause a distraction and use that to free me. They are waiting outside of town. He has men watching the jail and he knows you are still here. Backup plan is to attack at dawn.

XENA

How many men?

TORIS

At least one hundred, mostly footman and archers, rest horse.

Toris jumps off the table. Toris, resigned

TORIS

I know you hate me. I know this latest betrayal is the end of me. We were not that close, not like Lyceus and you. Do what must be done and let me rest.

Xena walks up to her brother. He closes his eyes and tenses. She looks at him with sadness and there is no anger in her anymore, just emptiness. She glances at the sleeping Gabrielle and her mind is set. Xena hugs her brother and squeezes tightly.

Xena, softy

XENA

Toris, I always loved you. Your life is your own, go home and stay there.

Xena releases the hug.

XENA

Bion will come at dawn. Gabrielle will get you out safely and then she will come for me. Your role is over.

Toris, incredulous

TORIS

You would place your faith in one person? Against five score armed men? Gabrielle is an inexperienced woman who dresses in men's clothes and has an advanced case of hero worship.

XENA

Drunken Gabrielle started a fight that turned into a riot, had enough presence of mind to grab the horn, and got us the run of the jail while you sat there and plotted against us. Open your eyes and see the Amazon within.

Xena walks to the open door and looks at the sleeping bard again.

XENA

I can cut my way out of this town and use the militia, the mercenaries, and townspeople as fodder to cover my escape. Bion will think nothing of torching this place to the ground to secure his prize but what are their lives to me, right? Just a few more stains on my already bloody soul. Yes, I could do that, but that is not Gabrielle's way. I decided to give this greater good thing a try. The old way ended in a Potidaea, even if I did not know it at the time.

Xena turns back to Toris.

XENA

Get some rest.

Xena walks over to the front wall and sits down against it. She starts her watch.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. CRENIDES – JAIL – PRE DAWN

The door opens and Xena steps out. No one notices her so she throws the horn at the WATCH COMMANDER. He whirls and spots her, as do others now.

Xena, projecting her voice to carry, authoritatively

XENA

Warlord Bion is preparing to attack this town at dawn with hundred men in order to capture me. You have two choices. He attacks you from the outside and I attack from the inside, hoping to get away in the confusion. Or you move your men back and let him come in and take me. Make your choice. Knock on the door when you decide.

Xena turns and starts to step inside.

WATCH COMMANDER

Wait! How do we know Bion even exists and if he does, how can we be sure he is not working for you?

XENA

Your duty is to the townspeople. Mine is to none. Think about that.

Xena walks inside and closes the door.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. CRENIDES – JAIL – DAWN

The town MILITIA and MERCENERIES have moved back toward town square. A line of ARCHERS and FOOTMEN is facing them. More ARCHERS are facing the front door to jail. In the middle of the road stands a wagon with iron cage, the horses pointing away from town center. Bion is sitting on the horse not far from the wagon. The jail door opens and Xena steps out. She has her sword out. She twirls it and cuts the nearby torches neatly. All eyes follow her as she moves toward the cage. No one notices two figures slip out the door and sneak away. Xena arrests every eyeball.

Bion, not taking chances

BION

That's far enough. Drop your weapons and armor and step into the cage.

Taking an extra step for kicks, Xena does. Wearing just a tunic and boots, Xena makes her way to the cage. The DRIVER secures the chains with locks. One FOOTMAN brings the Xena's sword to Bion and hands it over. Everything else is picked up and placed in a sack and secured on his horse.

Bion draws Xena's sword from the scabbard and raises it to the sky

BION

I, the great Bion, have defeated the dreaded warlord Xena. Let bards sing across Greece of this glorious moment as the dark shadow is lifted from the land.

Gabrielle, watching from the shadows

GABRIELLE

The bards are so going to kick your pompous ass.

 

FADE OUT:

TO BE CONTINUED

END OF PART ONE

 

 

Return to the Academy