Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Chariots of War”

Episode 4

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – ROAD - MORNING

Xena and Gabrielle are walking beside the road, off a good pace that allows them the security of the forest on one side and far scouting visibility on the other.

Xena, out of the blue

XENA

What happened with Toris?

GABRIELLE

He went home.

Xena, raising both eyebrows

XENA

You are one of the most overly descriptive and loquacious people in Greece and you just gave me a three word answer to a loaded question. We warlords have ways of making you talk, you know.

Gabrielle, sadly

GABRIELLE

He declared his undying love and offered to follow me to the depth of Tartarus.

XENA

Wow. He didn't just fall for you, he smashed his head and scrambled his brains when he hit.

Gabrielle, quietly

GABRIELLE

He is seeing what is not there and continues to delude himself. He is holding out hope for a future that will never be. I don't understand Xena, I did not mean to lead him on or encourage him. What did I do wrong?

Xena, clearly uncomfortable

XENA

Look, I am not good at this relationships thing. Don't you have scrolls for that?

Gabrielle, hugging herself, smiling

GABRIELLE

You were in love, you know what that is like. The scrolls talk about ideals, I want the passion, the romance, and the raw emotions straight from the source.

XENA

….

Pause.

Xena, sternly

XENA

Gabrielle, don't ask me.

GABRIELLE

I am not asking for the physical. I lived and worked on a farm, I can fill in the details.

XENA

Stop! Gabrielle, accept that there are some things not open to discussion. This is one of them.

GABRIELLE

I am sorry.

XENA

For what?

GABRIELLE

You are a private person and I did not respect that.

Xena, extending an olive branch

XENA

Peace?

GABRIELLE

Peace.

Xena, grinning

XENA

Besides, I am not the one called a goddess of love.

Gabrielle, frowning at first, breaking into embarrassed laugh

GABRIELLE

Gods, Agapios believed that I was a cold hearted assassin with a lust for money and bad boy warlords.

Xena, teasing

XENA

Gabrielle, you know not the ways of love or seduction, yet are you leaving a trail of broken hearts from Amphipolis to Sparta. You are Aphrodite, aren't you?

Gabrielle, smiling in response, grows thoughtful and somber

GABRIELLE

I am a bard. I don't just look, I see. Every gesture, every word, every tone and pitch, every twitch of muscle, every shift of body, everything. Memorized, categorized and stored. Give me your sword and I will show you.

Xena unclips her scabbard and hands it to the bard. Gabrielle passes her staff off and clips the sword to her belt. She then assumes Xena's fighting stance, draws the sword smoothly and with the same motion and speed, twirls it and yells Xena's battle cry. She sheathes the sword, unclips it and returns it to Xena.

Xena considers this new development carefully.

Xena, calculating

XENA

You know, you scare me sometimes. That is an incredible talent you have Gabrielle. Tell me, the sword techniques I use, can you do them? Exactly?

GABRIELLE

The memory is here …

Gabrielle, tapping her head

GABRIELLE

… but it would take practice to train my body to move the same way.

XENA

So seducing Agapios was a play, a performance you copied?

GABRIELLE

I became who I wanted to be. I told you I was an actor.

Xena, inquiringly, with trepidation

XENA

Do you act when you are around me?

Xena holds her breath and waits for an answer. Gabrielle stops walking and looks her in the eye.

Gabrielle, with complete sincerity and total honesty

GABRIELLE

You see the true me.

 

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INT. CYCNUS' CASTLE – ROOM - NOON

Cycnus draws his sword and points it at his son's chest.

CYCNUS

This is power. This in my hand.

Cycnus sheaths it and walks to the window, looking toward Lampascus.

CYCNUS

The peasants think they can hide provisions from us and not pay the price. They defy Cycnus! Me, they defy me!

Cycnus turns and walks back to his son.

CYCNUS

You will go down to the village, pick a peasant at random and behead him in town square. You will do it with your own hands and your own sword. Let the sheep know who has the power.

SPHAERUS

Father ...

Cycnus cuts him off with a gesture and puts a hand on his sword.

CYCNUS

Make the decision.

SPHAERUS

Your will, father.

Sphaerus turns and leaves. Cycnus watches him go, then follows after a short while.

CYCNUS

Weak like his mother. You will do it or by Gods I will not have a son.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. LAMPASCUS – OUTSKIRTS - AFTERNOON

A small village spreads out ahead of Xena and Gabrielle. There is a cluster of buildings in the middle and the rest of the houses are sprinkled along the few dirt roads meandering around.

Xena, handing Gabrielle some coins

XENA

Here is the money. Take Argo and walk her to the smith. Front shoes are worn down and need to be replaced. Fortunately, we have funds.

GABRIELLE

My funds.

XENA

Sorry, seized by an evil warlord, gone now.

Gabrielle, tempting

GABRIELLE

We could use them for a greater good of a night and dinner in an inn.

XENA

A certain bard gave me a lecture on sacrificing.

GABRIELLE

Oh don't worry, I am about to sacrifice someone.

XENA

Cough up the bow and quiver and hand over the backpack. I see the darkness rising …

GABRIELLE

I am darkness less.

XENA

Rising …

GABRIELLE

I am a darkness free zone.

XENA

Rising …

GABRIELLE

Hey, what do you know, I am starting to think dark thoughts.

XENA

I win.

Gabrielle sticks her tongue out. She hands off her gear and adds a bracer and three throwing knives to her outfit.

Satisfied, Gabrielle heads for the village, leading Argo.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. LAMPASCUS – OUTSKIRTS - AFTERNOON

Xena walks down the furthest out dirt road, killing time. She approaches a house sitting on the side of the road. There are two BOYS fighting in the dirt of the road with sticks. There is a MAN working in the garden, with a GIRL helping him. She walks up to the BOYS and smiles at them.

XENA

What are your names?

BOY #1

Lykus. I am the mighty warrior Hercules.

BOY #2

Argolis. No, you are Cycnus, the evil warlord.

LYKUS

You always get to be Hercules. I want to be the hero.

ARGOLIS

You have a sword. Are you a hero?

XENA.

I am trying to be.

LYKUS

Like Hercules?

The MAN has now stopped working and is watching Xena closely.

ARGOLIS

You going to defeat Cycnus?

LYKUS

Can you punch like Hercules? POW and they fly.

XENA

Well, not everyone can be Hercules. But yes, I will defeat the warlord.

ARGOLIS

Can I watch?

LYKUS

What's your name?

XENA

Xena.

Xena notices their expressions change and grows distressed and ashamed; she quickly steps away, running away from the spectre of her dark past. Not fast enough to avoid hearing it given voice behind her.

ARGOLIS

I am the evil warlord Xena.

LYKUS

Hercules the hero will beat you!

They start fighting with the sticks again.

Xena continues to walk down the road, which now dips down. As she approaches a curve, a chariot comes speeding at her. She looks back on the children still playing on the road and then runs forward. At the last moment she leaps between the horses and lands on the chariot, knocking off the two CYRUS' GUARDS. She pulls the chariot to the stop not far from the children. The two thrown CYRUS' GUARDS come running after her and now five additional chariots approach, each with two men. The children run to the MAN, who quickly leads them all inside the house. Cycnus is in one by himself and stays a good distance back with two other chariots flanking his. The other two chariots stop closer to Xena and all together, six CYCNUS' GUARDS attack. Xena gives her yell and charges. She parries and runs a man thru, leather armor offering no defense. Chakram buries in another's gut. Few vicious slashes and two more hit the ground, trying to dam the life escaping from open wounds. She delivers the flying knee to the fifth and smashes the pommel into the temple of the last one. They both go down and she ensures they stay there.

Xena, to Cycnus, casually observing

XENA

You are running out of men.

CYCNUS

I Cycnus, offer this warrior as a sacrifice to Ares. Archers!

Two CYCNUS' GUARDS, one from each chariot, raise their bows and fire.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. LAMPASCUS – TOWN SQUARE - AFTERNOON

Gabrielle walks by the inn and notices a gathering crowd of VILLAGERS. Two CYCNUS' GUARDS are dragging a CAPTIVE across the square toward a FIGHTER with his sword drawn and surrounded by four more CYCNUS' GUARDS. Gabrielle ties Argo off quickly and rushes the ones dragging the CAPTIVE. She closes on the first and he barely turns his head at the motion to his side when the strike takes him out. Gabrielle shoves the CAPTIVE out of the way and sweeps then knocks out the second CYCNUS' GUARD. She turns to the others.

GABRIELLE

Now would be a good time to surrender.

They charge. She shifts the staff to left hand and starts throwing knives. Three CYCNUS' GUARDS get hit but the forth tackles her, making her land on her back, hard. She keeps hold of her staff and draws the dagger, starting to stab him in the side, steel easily penetrating the leather armor's weakness. CYCNUS' GUARD screams and jumps off her, holding his side. Few kicks connect as she starts rolling and comes up to her feet, dropping the dagger and now holding the staff with both hands. The FIGHTER watches her with great interest but does not join. Gabrielle is now facing four CYCNUS' GUARDS in various states of injury. She attacks, using quick movement and fast motion to keep them at bay. She breaks a forearm, bruises few ribs, and the tide of battle turns. Gabrielle immobilizes the remaining CYCNUS' GUARDS and turns her attention to the FIGHTER. He now has a shield ready.

Gabrielle, closing in, challenging

GABRIELLE

Only a coward lets his men fight for him. I am Gabrielle.

FIGHTER

You fall at the hand of Sphaerus, son of warlord Cycnus.

GABRIELLE

Fall with laughter. What were you planning to do with that man?

SPHAERUS

He will be executed.

GABRIELLE

What is his crime?

Sphaerus, dismissively

SPHAERUS

These farmers live and die at the mercy of my father Cycnus.

Gabrielle, determined

GABRIELLE

I will stop you.

Sphaerus, addressing the gathering VILLAGERS

SPHAERUS

Behold your defender and despair as she dies. You have not paid the proper tribute to my father and now you will face the consequences. First her, then you.

Sphaerus sweeps his sword in a circle at the crowd, coming to rest with it pointing directly at Gabrielle. He attacks. Gabrielle tries to sweep but he sets his legs well and the greaves help with the defense. Sphaerus slams his shield into Gabrielle, pushing her back. She wobbles and he kicks her in the ribs. Her leather armor is providing protection but the heavy fighting is starting to wear her down. He continues to attack, using the sword strikes as a setup for the shield. It is working and he even manages to get Gabrielle to slip and go down, leaving her open to a shield bash to her upper chest and face. Wising up, Gabrielle works to lengthen the distance, moving more and attacking his sword arm. She lands several stinging blows and it is starting to show. Then with a quick misdirection, she lands a direct hit to his wrist and almost breaks it. He throws his sword at her face. It leaves her open to the shield bash and now he hammers her with continuous shield blows till she drops her stuff and goes down on her knees. He presses downward with all his strength, pushing her down and driving her to the ground. She is bending back and he can sense victory. A smile shows on his lips as he looks in her eyes and sees … Gabrielle's eyes change. They become lighter, softer and she grabs the shield firmly with both hands and pushes him back. Gabrielle regains her feet and drives him back, back into the wall with a bone crunching impact. She rips the shield away and starts beating him with it. Sphaerus goes down and now Gabrielle's fists are finding his face. He whimpers and covers up, but Gabrielle is still on him, grabbing his hair and jerking his head up as she keeps up the assault.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. LAMPASCUS – OUTSKIRTS - AFTERNOON

Two arrows fly and are caught by Xena with ease. She casually drops them on the ground. The archers fire again, with the same result.

Cycnus, sensing defeat, retreats

 

CYCNUS

Cover me and then go to village square!

Cycnus maneuvers his chariot and heads back down the road. The CYCNUS' GUARDS keep Xena busy and then ride off after him once he is away.

Xena turns as a MAN approaches. He offers her water in a cup. She gratefully takes it and drinks it. She then loads two of CYCNUS' GUARDS per chariot and sends them back in the direction they came from. The MAN helps with the task and it is done fast.

MAN, deeply grateful

MAN

Thank Gods you showed up and saved my boys! I'm Darius and the little girl you have not met is Sarita. Are you really Xena?

XENA

I walk a different path now.

DARIUS

My house is yours, come in and take comfort. The children all want to see you, I could not keep them away from the windows.

Xena, swayed by tiny faces peeking at her, consents

XENA

I accept your generous hospitality.

Xena follows him inside the house where three young and excited voices greet her.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. LAMPASCUS – TOWN SQUARE - AFTERNOON

Cycnus drives into the square, scattering VILLAGERS. He stops and his eyes take in the entire scene, with his son being beaten into the ground by … a woman?

Cycnus, roaring

CYCNUS

Unhand my son, wench!

Gabrielle lets go of Sphaerus' hair and he slumps limply into the dirt, not moving, just groaning.

Gabrielle, looking down at Sphaerus, mocking

GABRIELLE

Oh Sphaerus, I see a complex in your future. Daddy had to save you from being beaten up by a girl. Now all the women will point and laugh and kids will talk behind your back. And your peers, forget it.

Gabrielle, shifting her eyes to Cycnus, aggressively challenging and belittling at once

GABRIELLE

Hey dad. I kicked your soldiers' asses, I kicked your son's ass, and I am going to kick your ass next. Step away from the horsey thingy and let's have at it!

Two more chariots pull up with archers in them.

Gabrielle, changing her tone, conciliatorily

GABRIELLE

Come on dad, you know how those wrestling matches get. Words get said, feelings get hurt, and next thing you know, I am bashing your son with a shield and beating him senseless. Really, could have happened to anyone.

CYCNUS' GUARDS start dragging her away.

GABRIELLE

What are few pulverized guards between us, right dad?

CYCNUS' GUARDS keep dragging her.

GABRIELLE

Considering how close I was to your son just now, we are practically family. Come here and give me a hug, dad!

Cycnus, eyes sparking with anger

CYCNUS

Throw her in the dungeon.

Gabrielle, throwing in one last insult

GABRIELLE

Sphaerus, your dad never loved you!

 

CUT TO:

INT. LAMPASCUS – DARIUS' HOUSE – LATE AFTERNOON

The children have settled into a short nap. Xena and Darius sit at the table.

DARIUS

It started years ago when Cycnus started raiding centaur territory. They wiped out his army but he did not see the writing on the scroll. He added the chariots and rebuilt his army. By the luck of the Gods they managed to ambush and kill a small centaur scouting party. The centaurs returned in force and took the village to the north. They hanged everything living from the trees: men, women, children, and infants. Even the animals. Then they filled them with arrows till there was nothing human or beast left visible.

Darius, sighing

DARIUS

It is a race whether the taxes or centaurs will kill us first.

XENA

Not if I stop him first.

DARIUS

Why? You say you changed and I believe you, but this is not your fight. Nobody would risk their lives for us unless they are mad or a fool and you are neither.

XENA

I and Gabrielle fight for good. Listen, I have a favor to ask. My friend is in town with my horse Argo, getting new shoes at the smith. My … reputation makes it more prudent to send her. I want you to go meet her and tell her where I am.

Darius, cocking his ear and grinning

DARIUS

Tell you what. You watch the children and I will head into town. They are good and sweet, just very … energetic.

Xena can hear the children waking and gives him a reproachful look.

XENA

I think it is you who owes me a favor now.

Darius is chuckling as he exits the house and the horde of three closes in on hapless Xena. Her expression is priceless.

 

CUT TO:

INT. LAMPASCUS – DARIUS' HOUSE - EVENING

The door opens and Darius enters. Xena is sitting at a table, telling a story to the children. She stops at the look on Darius' face.

Darius, impressed, with a hint of worry

DARIUS

Your friend is trouble and in one. She trashed six guards and Sphaerus, Cycnus' son, before they captured her. Whole town is talking about it, this wild Amazon who took on everyone and …

Xena leaps up and crosses the floor to him, scaring the children with her behavior.

Xena, her gut twisting in knots, anxiously

XENA

Is she hurt? Did they take her away?

DARIUS

She took a beating that would put down three men and kept coming. She is in the dungeons of Cycnus' keep, people heard him give orders. I …

Darius stops talking and backs away, seeing the rage in Xena's eyes.

Darius, deciding that he and the children might not be safe if she stays, offers

DARIUS

… Argo is outside.

Before the last word is cast, Xena is already out the door.

 

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. CYCNUS' CASTLE – DUNGEON – CLEAR MOONLIT NIGHT

Gabrielle's legs are chained together and to the floor, but her hands are free. All she is wearing is her trousers and a tunic. She reaches under her it and starts feeling in her bottom underwraps on the backside. After some effort, she pulls out a throwing knife. Grunting in satisfaction, she sets to work on the lock holding her chain to the floor and then on the shackles imprisoning her legs. Free at last, she stretches and walks around. Steps sound down the hall and she gathers the chains behind her and then folds her legs under her and sits down. The multiple pairs of feet stop walking at her cell and the torch is lit outside.

CYCNUS' GUARD #1

We got swords drawn, you just say a word. We got jail duty for that incident in town and we are looking for payback.

Bolts slide open and a lock is turned. The door swings open and Sphaerus takes one step in. The door is secured behind him. Sphaerus carefully sits down on the straw, trying not to jostle his battered body.

SPAERUS

I couldn't sleep, kept thinking about the fight. Even thou we beat you …

Gabrielle, interrupting

GABRIELLE

You did not defeat me. You beat me up, you bloodied me up, and you put me in world of pain. And then the real fight began and you got destroyed. You lost.

Sphaerus becomes agitated. He is wringing his hands.

Sphaerus, nervous

SPHAERUS

I was told to go down to town and make an example out of a peasant. Show them father means business and any resistance will be met with harsh punishment. They had to see and feel the power he holds over their lives.

GABRIELLE

Fear and intimidation are not the source of lasting power. Doing good is. And now worse is coming.

SPAERUS

Worse? Who are you? You defied defeat against me by sheer will alone and you looked father right in the eye and called him out. You did not flinch with arrows pointed at your heart and you laughed right in his face. I realize now my father has no power against you. How do you do it?

GABRIELLE

Sphaerus, the true measure of the fighter is his heart. Weapons, armor, training the mind and body all help, but warrior do not make. But it is not enough to have a strong heart. You must believe in something bigger than yourself, a cause that you follow. I am set on the path of greater good. I fight for the weak, the helpless, the exploited and the oppressed. I fight against people like your father.

SPAERUS

Is it just as simple as doing good?

GABRIELLE

Listen Sphaerus, you have to make a choice. Worse is Xena, coming down from Crenides where she killed two warlords and captured two more. After wiping out all their armies. She follows my path; make the choice before she makes it for you.

He scrambles to his feet, his eyes showing fear. He stops and looks back at Gabrielle. Sphaerus, resignedly

SPAERUS

My father will not change.

Gabrielle, with great sadness

GABRIELLE

But you can.

Sphaerus nods absentmindedly, lost in thought, and knocks on the door. CYCNUS' GUARD #1 unlocks the door and opens it a crack to check the situation inside. Satisfied, he pulls it open wider and backs up.

Gabrielle explodes, driving Sphaerus thru the door which slams in the face of CYCNUS' GUARD #1 and shoves Sphaerus into CYCNUS' GUARD #2 and they both go down in a heap. Gabrielle moves over and picks up and puts the head of CYCNUS' GUARD #2 into the stone floor, then drags the unconscious body to the cell. She does the same with CYCNUS' GUARD #1. She strips them of weapons and keys and locks the door. She walks over to Sphaerus and extends a hand. After hesitating, he grabs it and she pulls him up.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

My rule is one beating per warlord per day. You met my quota.

Sphaerus, laughing nervously

SPHAERUS

Truth be told, I am more afraid of you than of Xena.

GABRIELLE

You are going to have to repeat that to her, she will never believe me.

SPHAERUS

I rather not. There are two more guards stationed at the top of the stairs, you met them in town. I will wait here and then follow you. Now go.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. CYCNUS' CASTLE – BACK WALL – CLEAR MOONLIT NIGHT

Rope with hook flies strong and true. Dark shadow runs up to the wall and climbs it. Xena pulls herself up and looks over the keep. There are only few guards and most are sleeping. She picks a door with two CYCNUS' GUARDS and makes her way over. Flash of speed, two quick dagger strikes and it is over. Xena drags the bodies inside. She does not notice one of the CYCNUS' GUARDS on the battlements notice her taking the last body inside. CYCNUS' GUARD runs down the stairs and towards the barracks.

 

CUT TO:

INT. CYCNUS' CASTLE – HALLWAY – NIGHT

Xena moves silently down the torch illuminated hallway. At the intersection, she notices a CYCNUS' GUARD posted at a door. She creeps up on him and applies the pinch.

Xena, whispering

XENA

I just cut the flow of oxygen to your brain. You have thirty seconds to live. How do I get to jail?

CYCNES' GUARD

Back at the intersection, go right, and then right, then left to the jail guardroom.

Xena snaps his neck, stands up and follows the directions. She listens at the door, then enters, surprising the two CYCNUS' GUARDS. Punch to the throat for the first and dagger in the eye for the second and back to the first for slit throat. She wipes the dagger off and sheaths it. She is about to open the door when she senses a presence approaching. Xena backs up and is rewarded by the figure of Gabrielle sliding thru the open gap and into the room with sword drawn. Gabrielle sees Xena standing there relaxed and smiles.

Xena, taking in her appearance, softly

XENA

I am here to rescue you.

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

My hero.

Xena, observing

XENA

It helps if you actually need rescuing.

GABRIELLE

Sphaerus visited me, he is Cycnus' son. I jumped him.

Gabrielle, looking around

GABRIELLE

How do we get out?

XENA

Follow the trail of bodies.

GABRIELLE

You are so practical.

Xena leads and Gabrielle follows her.

XENA

I practice. How did you get free?

GABRIELLE

One of my kids made it thru weapons check.

XENA

I am not even going to ask where the kid was hiding.

GABRIELLE

My underwraps if you must know. You warlords and your dirty minds.

XENA

No wonder you take forever in the morning to get dressed.

Gabrielle, confiding

GABRIELLE

Lethal beauty does not happen by itself.

XENA

Speaking of beauty, which bastard tattooed your face?

Gabrielle, evasively

GABRIELLE

I took a lumping for greater good.

Xena pauses at the heavier door leading outside. Shouts and running feet can be heard.

XENA

More bruises await behind this door.

GABRIELLE

It hurts to be good. I want to be bad for a change.

Xena, with utter conviction

XENA

It is not in you.

Xena pauses and then grabs the handle.

XENA

Let's go.

Gabrielle puts a hand on the door, stopping Xena from opening it.

GABRIELLE

Why are there dead guards all over the place?

Xena, darkly

XENA

They hurt my friend.

GABRIELLE

Oh …

Pause. Gabrielle, removing her hand from the door

GABRIELLE

I'm sorry.

Xena nods and opens the door. They step outside.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. CYCNUS' CASTLE – MAIN YARD – CLEAR MOONLIT NIGHT

The main gate is thrown open. Three chariots are already prepared and the STABLE HANDS are working on others. CYCNUS' GUARDS are on the walls and by the gate; six of them are waiting by the door Xena and Gabrielle come out of. Cycnus is standing by the chariot.

Cycnus, pointing at Gabrielle, ordering

CYCNUS

Kill her!

Six CYCNUS' GUARDS all attack Xena and she jumps and runs up the battlement stairs, forcing them to come after her single file.

Cycnus, yelling loudly

CYCNUS

Idiots! Not her, the other one!

The six CYCNUS' GUARDS don't hear him, busy going after Xena.

Gabrielle runs at Cycnus. He turns pale, runs over and jumps in the chariot. He takes off, scattering men at the gate. Gabrielle jumps into a chariot and repeats what Cycnus did, taking off after him. Xena, seeing this, charges into the CYCNUS' GUARDS lined up on the stairs and scatters them like bowling pins. Now CYCNUS' GUARDS at the gate are coming for her and it is getting interesting. Into this chaos Sphaerus enters.

SPHAERUS

Xena?

Xena, snarling

XENA

Yes?

Sphaerus, to CYCNUS' GUARDS

SPHAERUS

STOP!!! Let her go!

Xena runs by the stunned CYCNUS' GUARDS and whistles for Argo. She takes off after the two chariots. Sphaerus runs to the remaining chariot and goes after her.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. CYCNUS' CASTLE – PLATEAU OUTSIDE – CLEAR MOONLIT NIGHT

Cycnus and Gabrielle are racing in chariots across a grass covered plain. Xena follows on Argo and behind her, Sphaerus. Xena catches up to Gabrielle and slings the bow and quiver over her shoulder.

XENA

MAKE ROOM!

Gabrielle realizes what she is going to do and flattens herself against the front of the chariot, holding on tightly. Xena brings Argo even, then quickly stands up, coils and leaps to the chariot. She lands behind Gabrielle and grabs her shoulders for support. She regains her balance.

XENA

Are you in control?

GABRIELLE

I am holding on for dear life. Starting was easy, it is the turning and stopping that I am working on. Kind of fun in a “oh Gods, I am going to die” way.

Xena hands her the bow and quiver and takes rains and whip from her hands. Cycnus starts to pull away, extra weight slowing them down. Sphaerus is gaining on them.

GABRIELLE

What is the prize today?

XENA

Dinner at the inn if you hit him in his Achilles' heel.

GABRIELLE

Nice, a classic, I like it.

Gabrielle aims carefully and tries to compensate for the motion of the chariot. The arrow flies true and strikes Cycnus in the heel thru the boot. He stumbles, loses his balance and falls behind his chariot. Xena steers to the side to avoid the rolling body and pulls the rains back to stop. Sphaerus passes by them and aims right for his father. His chariot runs over Cycnus. Gabrielle winces at the sight and sound of impact.

They bring their chariot alongside the body. Sphaerus pulls up alongside them.

Sphaerus, looking at Gabrielle, with a note of finality

SPHAERUS

My father made his choice and I made mine. It had to be done for the good of the people.

Xena looks sharply at Gabrielle, who does not notice.

GABRIELLE

Sphaerus, meet with the village elders in the morning. Ease the taxes and end the war. Now, honor your father and take him back home.

Xena drives off without a word.

Sphaerus steps down from his chariot. He gently picks up the body and carries it onto the chariot.

SPHAERUS

You were wrong, father. I found power and it was not in the sword. I found it in her.

He moves to the horses and starts leading them back toward the keep.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. LAMPASCUS – DARIUS' HOUSE – CLEAR MOONLIT NIGHT

They drive in silence. Eventually Xena brings the chariot to a stop in front of Darius's house, their destination.

Xena, looking at Gabrielle, accusingly

XENA

You set Sphaerus up.

GABRIELLE

I put him in a situation where he had to make a choice. I know if he did not do it, you would. Either way, Cycnus was dead.

XENA

Gabrielle, his mind was already made up. There was no hesitation, no doubt, just a firmly held conviction of the rightness of the action. You are a master of persuasion, spinning the words into a fabric of belief that becomes the core of your listener's universe.

GABRIELLE

I did this to protect you, to stop you from taking another father from his son. I did this because I care about you and I would and will do it again.

XENA

It was my choice too.

GABRIELLE

I stood up for an innocent man today and paid the price. You took my sacrifice and made it hollow and empty by murdering the guards in mindless vengeance. Xena, you hurt me more by that act than all the kicks and punches. You hurt me here.

Gabrielle puts a hand over her heart and starts crying. Gabrielle, in pain, tearfully

GABRIELLE

Please stop hurting me.

Xena makes a low sound, halfway between moan and groan, and runs off into the night.

A single candle moves thru the house and the door opens. Darius steps out and takes a look at the chariot.

Darius, pleadingly

DARIUS

Don't kill me, I have family.

Gabrielle, wincing

GABRIELLE

Xena brought me here. I'm Gabrielle.

Darius' face lights up.

DARIUS

It's you! You are the hero of the village and we were worried when you were captured. Wait, where is Xena?

GABRIELLE

She … she needed to be alone. She will return.

Darius, stepping forward and taking a closer look at her, apologetically

DARIUS

By Gods, you are hurt! Forgive me, I stand here talking and you … I'm sorry, please come in Gabrielle. Anything you need?

GABRIELLE

Food, water and a place to rest my head.

DARIUS

Of course, of course. Come in.

He guides her into the house. She stops him inside the door.

Gabrielle, wearily

GABRIELLE

It is done, Cycnus is dead and peace will return. His son will visit in the morning to make changes. Things will be better for you and your family, Xena made sure of it.

DARIUS

You were sent by the Gods.

GABRIELLE

We make our own fate.

 

CUT TO:

INT. DARIUS' HOUSE – BARN - DAWN

One of the set of double doors swings open and then Gabrielle walks in. She pauses and listens, then moves stealthily. She pauses again and frowns. Then a grin breaks on her face. She leaps lightly and catches the edge of the loft. Noiselessly she pulls herself up and slides to the nearby vertical beam. She freezes and stands still, fading into the background. Xena appears on the bottom, where Gabrielle just was, and looks around and up. She is in a hunting mode. She crosses the open space carefully, only to suddenly turn and run back, leaping to the loft after few steps. She tackles Gabrielle and they both crash into a pile of hay. Xena, playfully

XENA

Found breakfast.

GABRIELLE

Please monster, don't eat me. Bards are tough and chewy, like boot leather; too much time out in the weather and too many nights in smoky taverns.

Xena is laughing as she releases Gabrielle and jumps back on her feet.

XENA

Forgiven?

GABRIELLE

Forgiven.

Xena, throwing it out there

XENA

Live by the chariot, die by the chariot?

Gabrielle, groaning

GABRIELLE

You worked on that all night? Leave the butchering of the language to the professionals.

Gabrielle nimbly jumps down, rolls and stands up. Xena does a handstand on the edge, then swings down and drops gracefully.

XENA

Anyone up yet?

GABRIELLE

Darius still down. Kind of lazy for a farmer, if you ask me.

XENA

You have not met those children. Come on, I will introduce you.

Gabrielle, teasing

GABRIELLE

You sure do work fast.

XENA

Not mine.

GABRIELLE

They will be crushed to find out mother does not want them.

XENA

Gabrielle, I only spent few hours under his roof.

Gabrielle opens her mouth for sarcastic quip, but Xena gives her a stern look.

Gabrielle, smiling innocently

GABRIELLE

Yes, let's do meet your children.

She giggles and runs out and Xena follows, shaking her head.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. LAMPASCUS – TOWN SQUARE – LATE MORNING

Xena and Gabrielle head for the inn. Friendly waves and nods greet them. Word has spread of Sphaerus' visit and the reason for it.

XENA

They love you.

Gabrielle, correcting

GABRIELLE

They love both of us. Did you think I wouldn't hear about you leaping over the speeding chariot to save two little boys? You are their hero. You are my hero. You are a hero period.

XENA

What are you then?

GABRIELLE

Hero in training. Still working on leaping a short fence.

Xena chuckles as Sphaerus walks out of the inn. He spots them and heads their way.

SPHAERUS

Tempers were flaring, what with the past, but with my father … dead, a lot of that anger left with him. His life brought hatred, but his death took it away. I can take solace in that.

Gabrielle puts a hand on his arm and squeezes it in support.

Gabrielle, softly and compassionately

GABRIELLE

I know about legacy and the burden it carries. I live with one.

SPHAERUS

I was going to ask you to stay but I see you made a choice as well. I sent an emissary to the centaurs this morning, leave knowing that peace will come to this valley.

Gabrielle hugs him.

GABRIELLE

May the Gods guard your well-being.

SPHAERUS

Take care that you fare well.

Sphaerus gets on his horse and rides off.

XENA

At least he had enough sense to leave the chariot at home.

Gabrielle, looking around

GABRIELLE

The smith said around noon. Let's head to the inn.

XENA

What's the occasion?

GABRIELLE

Dinner, or as Fates would have it, lunch. You lost a challenge.

XENA

I gave Darius half the money left.

GABRIELLE

Do I still get lunch?

XENA

Yes.

GABRIELLE

You are a good friend.

They enter the inn.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. LAMPASCUS - DARIUS' HOUSE – AFTERNOON

Darius and his three children are gathered outside. Gabrielle hugs each of them in turn while Xena is standing apart with her arms crossed on her chest.

Gabrielle, looking at the kids with a mischievous smile

GABRIELLE

I bet Xena would like a hug too. Go on, tackle her.

XENA

I heard that.

Gabrielle laughs as three small bodies launch themselves at Xena and mob her. She is not resisting and appears to be enjoying it, in a sort of restrained way.

Gabrielle, turning to Darius

GABRIELLE

It was good for both of us to stay with you, short as it was.

Gabrielle looks pointedly at Xena who is starting to wrestle with the children, having removed the chakram.

DARIUS

Healing comes in all forms.

GABRIELLE

Find a wife, Darius. No one should be alone.

DARIUS

Stay on your path. Goodbye Gabrielle.

Gabrielle walks over to Xena.

GABRIELLE

I will save you!

Gabrielle pulls the children away and starts wrestling them herself.

XENA

Don't keep any.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – EVENING

The camp is set up and soup is bubbling away in the pot. Gabrielle and Xena are relaxing around the fire. Gabrielle is in full gear.

XENA

The centaur lands extend inland from Crenides to Dodona. Beyond them are the forests of the Amazons. The centaurs are mobile, strong, and excellent archers, standing still or in motion. Amazons move in the trees, throw a mean spear, and are great with staff and bow. Neither side likes the other, but they stay out of each other's way, for the most part. There are some humans that live with the centaurs, but only women are allowed into Amazon lands.

GABRIELLE

I could be an Amazon then.

XENA

You are one and yet you fight like a typical fighter.

GABRIELLE

Knowing you, there is a point here somewhere.

Xena picks up a wrapped bundle by her side and hands it over.

Gabrielle opens the bundle and removes a xiphos.

XENA

This is your sword. I will teach you non-lethal holes you can poke in people against all types of armor. Just don't poke too many or that vow of yours is dead and so is the poor bastard on the receiving end.

GABRIELLE

Got it, controlled poking. Hmm, it sounds vaguely dirty when put that way.

XENA

You will concentrate on speed and accuracy. You will always be in motion, flowing from one target to the other. Disable an opponent and move to the next. Repeat until they are all down or you are dead.

GABRIELLE

You are full of bloody cheer today.

XENA

Gabrielle, keep your distance from bad people with sharp and blunt things unless you are fighting at my side.

GABRIELLE

I know a lecture coming on. Amazon from far away, and if danger close, run away.

XENA

And Gabrielle …

GABRIELLE

Yes?

XENA

You did a great and brave thing saving that man from execution. Get better and smarter so you don't pay for it with your life next time.

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy