Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Dreamworker”

Episode 5

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – PRE DAWN

While Xena continues to recline, Gabrielle adds more fuel to the fire and sets water to boil. She gets ready to find breakfast by picking up her bow and quiver.

Xena, stretching languidly, lazily

XENA

Eggs would be nice.

GABRIELLE

This Amazon and trees don't mix.

XENA

This Amazon better learn fast, because my sword is bigger.

Gabrielle, sighing

GABRIELLE

Warriors and their sword inadequacies.

XENA

I don't have sword issues.

GABRIELLE

Defensive much?

XENA

We warriors are proud of our … tool.

Gabrielle, goading

GABRIELLE

You name your sword, you sleep with it, and you talk to it, why yes I can see where things might be open to interpretation.

Xena, indignantly

XENA

I do not talk to my sword. And it rests in my bedroll for defense.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

You do when you practice. You sometimes kind of zone out and start talking things thru. I now know its name.

XENA

Gabrielle!

GABRIELLE

A …

XENA

Drop it Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE

R …

XENA

I am warning you bard.

GABRIELLE

E …

Xena, resignedly

XENA

All right, you win. No eggs.

Taking no joy in her victory Gabrielle's face clouds as the exchange sparks a recollection in her.

Gabrielle, her mind appearing somewhere else, discontentedly

GABRIELLE

It is the Gods who bless and protect us, who guide our lives and punish our transgressions. We worship them, we sacrifice on their altars, and we go to them when we die. So we are told.

XENA

You don't believe that?

GABRIELLE

I used to. Now the familiar phrases are but ash in my mouth.

XENA

What changed?

GABRIELLE

It got personal.

Xena, stunned

XENA

You slept with a God?

GABRIELLE

No, I lost my faith.

XENA

Oh, right. How?

GABRIELLE

The Gods toyed with me and I don't like to be used. I will make my own fate.

XENA

Gabrielle, you are not making sense. What did they do to you? Is it the gift?

GABRIELLE

I will not lie to you so I will just say: it's complicated.

XENA

Then I will tell you the something. Gods' power flows from their followers' faith. The Gods walk among us, lie down with us, and choose their champions, all to further their dominion. They bestow weapons of great power to select few, so that their glory will shine on their sponsor God. My chakram is a gift from Ares, forged by Hephaestus himself.

Gabrielle, amazed and surprised

GABRIELLE

You met a God? In person?

XENA

Gabrielle, the Gods are cruel and petty. They treat people like game pieces and constantly scheme against each other for position. They backstab on Olympus and wage wars by proxy on a mortal plane. Pray you never meet one.

Gabrielle ponders this as she leaves to hunt. She gets to edge to the clearing and stops.

Gabrielle, curious

GABRIELLE

I know you are a warrior and war is your craft, but Ares?

Xena, lying and unable to meet Gabrielle's eyes, deflecting with humor

XENA

I have a weakness for bad boy Gods in black leather.

 

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST – DAWN

Gabrielle has found a mulberry bush and is about to start harvesting when movement catches her eye. YOUNG WOMAN is walking towards her, with a smile on her face. She has long, flowing brown hair, white skin, and is wearing a sheer white dress. She saunters forward with grace and agility. Gabrielle is captivated from the moment she sees her. YOUNG WOMAN heads right for Gabrielle. Just before she gets too close, she dances away and laughs. She steps to the bush and plucks a ripe berry, then offers it to Gabrielle. Gabrielle stiffens and locks her eyes with the YOUNG WOMAN for a moment, only to relax; she grins and reaches for it with her hand. YOUNG WOMAN nimbly slides away, laughs, and shakes her head no. She offers the berry again and Gabrielle is now smiling in return. A game. Gabrielle uses her mouth to take the berry from the YOUNG WOMAN's fingers. Gabrielle captures the fruit carefully and then chews and swallows it. Finished, Gabrielle licks her lips while looking at the YOUNG WOMAN. Encouraged, the YOUNG WOMAN picks another berry and offers it. Gabrielle leans with her mouth and as her lips touch it, the YOUNG WOMAN takes it away and kisses the spot of contact. YOUNG WOMAN eats the berry, slowly and with pleasure, not taking her eyes off Gabrielle, her own twinkling merrily. Gabrielle takes in the show with a vivid interest and inches closer to the YOUNG WOMAN, all without thinking.

Gabrielle, reaching out with a hesitant hand to touch her face, intrigued

GABRIELLE

What manner of creature are you?

YOUNG WOMAN spins around and away from contact, her dress floating around her.

YOUNG WOMAN

You like?

Gabrielle, taking a half step towards her tormenter, drawn to her, shyly

GABRIELLE

Are you a forest nymph leading lost travelers astray?

YOUNG WOMAN, tilting her head, coyly

YOUNG WOMAN

Only the pretty ones.

YOUNG WOMAN punctuates this by dancing around Gabrielle, letting the fabric and her fingertips lightly brush. YOUNG WOMAN ends the dance by picking another berry. She grins and offers it to Gabrielle, who is eager to play. This time, Gabrielle tries to take it with her teeth, only to have the YOUNG WOMAN smear the berry on Gabrielle's face.

GABRIELLE

Hey!

YOUNG WOMAN, suggestively

YOUNG WOMAN

I can clean it off.

Gabrielle, blushing and searching for something to say, flustered

GABRIELLE

… Gabrielle.

YOUNG WOMAN, breathily

YOUNG WOMAN

Hello sweet Gabrielle. I'm Anastasia and your face needs attention.

Gabrielle regains her composure quickly and now the attractive stranger has a name. Words are her forte and this she knows.

Gabrielle, getting into the spirit, innocently

GABRIELLE

And how will that task be accomplished?

ANASTASIA

Not with my hands.

Gabrielle giggles and Anastasia takes Gabrielle's right hand into both of hers.

Anastasia, softy

ANASTASIA

Walk with me.

Anastasia gives her a slight tug as she rubs her thumb on the top of Gabrielle's hand and Gabrielle willingly follows. Anastasia drops her right hand, and they walk side by side thru the forest holding hands. Anastasia is slightly ahead, guiding them both. Gabrielle steps lightly, almost bouncing.

Gabrielle, happily

GABRIELLE

Leading me to Dionysus or Pan?

ANASTASIA

There will be dancing, wine, and music …

Pause.

ANASTASIA

… and just us.

Gabrielle, dreamily

GABRIELLE

I like a good plan.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – MORNING

Xena is sitting and staring at the fire morosely, her stomach growling. She glares at it.

Xena, grumbling

XENA

Knowing her, Gabrielle probably fell from a tree trying to get eggs and broke her damn neck. Good job Xena, you know she would do anything you asked. Had to have eggs for breakfast today.

Xena sighs, gets up, and then heads into the forest in the direction Gabrielle went.

Xena, calling out loudly

XENA

Here bard, bard, come on out.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – SMALL HOUSE – MID MORNING

Gabrielle and Anastasia walk hand in hand out onto a large clearing. The wooden house in the middle is small yet well maintained. Flowers are planted at both sides of the entry door and it is very peaceful. The whole place seems to be in a kind of a haze. They stop a small distance in.

Gabrielle, looking around, softly

GABRIELLE

I feel at peace here, it feels like a dream.

ANASTASIA

Is it a good dream?

GABRIELLE

It is getting better with every passing minute. Just that …

ANASTASIA

Anyplace you rather be?

Gabrielle frowns, thinking hard, and then makes a decision.

Gabrielle, shrugging

GABRIELLE

Xena can wait. It would do to spend few hours apart.

Pause.

Gabrielle, quietly, continues

GABRIELLE

And the company here is nicer.

ANASTASIA

Just nicer?

GABRIELLE

Did I say that?

Pause.

Gabrielle, casting the dice, discards caution and risks, blurting

GABRIELLE

You are beautiful!

Anastasia, laughing

ANASTASIA

Come inside and let's partake of the beauty.

Gabrielle, joyfully

GABRIELLE

This is the best day of my life.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST – MID MORNING

Xena walks around until she spots the bow and quiver on the ground by a berry bush. She picks them up and slings them. She examines the ground then looks in the direction Gabrielle and someone else went. She follows a bit then stops and scratches her head.

XENA

An experienced and highly trained Amazon leaves her best weapon behind and stomps thru the woods like a herd of wild boars with someone walking alongside her. It makes no sense.

Xena takes out her sword and unhooks the chakram, then grimly follows the obvious trail.

XENA

This is going to be one of those days, I just know it.

 

CUT TO:

INT. WILDERNESS – SMALL HOUSE – MID MORNING

Gabrielle is sitting at a small table, starring around the small space. Wooden cabinet, few chests and a bed complete the picture.

GABRIELLE

Where do you cook?

ANASTASIA

Outside. More space for other things.

Anastasia glances at Gabrielle, then at the bed, and then back at Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE

You have the official Gabrielle signet of approval for your choice of … comfort.

Anastasia brings over a wineskin and two wooden cups. She pours in each cup and sits across the table from Gabrielle. Their heads are close.

ANASTASIA

Bit of a nectar to start things off.

GABRIELLE

Let's keep it at a bit.

Gabrielle notices the look Anastasia gives her.

GABRIELLE

Long story and even longer family history.

They toast and empty the cups. The wine is strong and bit of color enters Gabrielle's face. Fire spreads thru her body.

Gabrielle, her confidence fortified, eagerly but with a hint of apprehension

GABRIELLE

What's next?

In answer, Anastasia leans forward, eyes closed, leading with her lips. Gabrielle closes hers as she repeats the motion. They meet and kiss, a touch of lips frozen for an eternity of rapid heartbeats. Gabrielle breaks if off, breathless, heart hammering.

GABRIELLE

Woo Aphrodite!

Gabrielle shakes herself.

GABRIELLE

Wow, let's do it again.

Suddenly, Gabrielle becomes lightheaded and the room starts spinning. Gabrielle tries to stand up, but her feet give out and she collapses to the floor.

Gabrielle, fading

GABRIELLE

What a first kiss.

Gabrielle passes out and Anastasia disappears. The small house changes into a temple. The walls are stone and moss covered and so is the floor. A large stone altar is in the middle. On the altar lies a very OLD WOMAN. She is dying, each drawn breath becoming more labored. Around her stand three PRIESTS in plain white robes. Gabrielle is on the floor, unconscious. OLD WOMAN dies while the PRIESTS watch.

HEAD PRIEST

Rest Anastasia, wife of Morpheus.

 

CUT TO:

INT. WILDERNESS – TEMPLE – LATE MORNING

Xena enters the temple. Gabrielle appears to be sleeping on the stone altar. Three PRIESTS are wrapping the body of OLD WOMAN in linen.

Xena, pointing at altar

XENA

First we do it Gabrielle's way. Then if that does not work, I start chopping pieces off. Important pieces. What have you done to her?

HEAD PRIEST steps forward, blocking her way.

HEAD PRIEST

Gabrielle married Morpheus and will spend the rest of her natural life sleeping in this temple. She will awake shortly before her death once another bride is found.

HEAD PRIEST motions at partially wrapped OLD WOMAN for emphasis. Xena brushes past him and stabs one of the PRIESTS thru the heart.

Xena, displeased

XENA

I did not like that answer.

HEAD PRIEST, bargaining, supplying hopefully

HEAD PRIEST

The marriage is official if Gabrielle accepts her fate. Once she submits in her dream, the contract is valid and she becomes Morpheus's wife.

Xena runs the remaining PRIEST thru the chest with a sword.

HEAD PRIEST, scared, stammers

HEAD PRIEST

But … but I told you the truth.

Xena, indifferent

XENA

I liked that answer, just felt like stabbing someone.

HEAD PRIEST, shaking with fear

HEAD PRIEST

You are mad, killing Morpheus's priests and defying his will.

Xena, stating the obvious, coldly

 

XENA

One left.

HEAD PRIEST, quickly

HEAD PRIEST

Touch her to enter her dream. Know this. No one ever refused the offer and once she accepts, you will wonder the dreamscape alone, a plaything of Morpheus. Only her death will free you and you will be aged as well.

Xena takes his head off.

Xena, practically

XENA

Can't have you stabbing me in the back when I'm sleeping.

Xena, looking at all the bodies, concerned

XENA

Gabrielle will be mad when she wakes up.

Xena cleans her sword and sheaths it. She considers the size of the altar, taken almost entirely by Gabrielle. She takes Gabrielle's hand instead and sleepiness overcomes her. She slumps down to the floor and the contact breaks, leaving Gabrielle's arm hanging halfway down the side of the altar.

Xena, considering her options

XENA

Well, tried to be discrete about it. Time for direct approach.

Xena unceremoniously lies down on top of Gabrielle, using her as a pillow.

Gabrielle, without waking up

GABRIELLE

Ooof.

 

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. DREAMSCAPE – MIST – LIGHT

Thick clouds of fog surround Xena, with soft light coming from all directions.

VOICE, speaking from above

VOICE

Choose the part of Gabrielle's dream.

XENA

Let's get this over. Take me to the end.

VOICE

So it is.

 

CUT TO:

INT. DREAM POTIDAEA – TEMPLE – MORNING

It is the wedding ceremony. The temple has altars to all the major gods arranged on all three sides, with Zeus' at the front. Before the local PRIEST are Gabrielle and Perdicus. Gabrielle appears to be thirteen and Perdicus looks older by couple years. Gabrielle is wearing a pale rose dress and Perdicus is wearing a fancy tunic with decorated belt and matching boots. The doors open and Xena starts walking down the aisle. Everything stops, silence falls, and the VILLAGERS look at Xena. Xena walks all the way down, and just as she gets there, she smoothly draws her sword and beheads Perdicus. Gabrielle stands frozen in shock, blood on her face and dress and a scream dead in her throat.

Xena grins at young Gabrielle and faces her with a bloody sword.

XENA

You look great, lost a few years. Listen Gabrielle, the wedding is over. You are free of your forced obligation and Morpheus no longer has power over you. Wake up, Gabrielle.

Nothing happens. Xena looks around, puzzled.

Xena slaps young Gabrielle.

XENA

Wake up!

Young Gabrielle starts screaming hysterically.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. DREAMSCAPE – MIST – LIGHT

Xena is back where she started.

XENA

Kill the groom, check. End the wedding, check. Well, the second goes with the first without saying, but with those Potidaea people you never know.

Xena, musing

XENA

Should have killed everyone except Gabrielle just to be safe. Take me back.

Xena speaks the last part to the fog above.

VOICE

Gabrielle chooses the future.

XENA

The woman is wearing trousers daily for Zeus' sake! Between you and me, she is clearly mad. Let me speak for her, I'm sane.

VOICE

Not your decision.

Xena, hopefully

XENA

Which part?

VOICE

Both.

XENA

All right, pick one.

 

CUT TO:

INT. DREAM POTIDAEA – HERODOTUS' HOUSE – MORNING

Ten year old Gabrielle is helping in the kitchen. She is wearing a plain dress and an apron. She is sitting at the table and dicing vegetables for soup. Someone enters their home from the outside and both she and her mother smile. The steps go up to the kitchen door and it opens.

Hecuba, warmly

HECUBA

Hello husband.

Gabrielle, bursting with happiness

GABRIELLE

Da!

Gabrielle gets up, runs up to Herodotus and jumps into a hug. He spins her around a few times as she laughs with glee. He sets her down and holds her.

HERODOTUS

Careful, if I let you go you will just spin around the kitchen and fall into a pot. Then we are going to have Gabrielle soup.

Gabrielle giggles.

Herodotus, looking at Gabrielle intensely

HERODOTUS

I was walking home and something rustled in the bushes. I walked up to the bush, stuck my hand all the way in and was grabbed by …

Herodotus, pausing dramatically and leaning towards Gabrielle

HERODOTUS

Ribbons!

Herodotus wiggles a pair of hair ribbons in front of Gabrielle's nose and she squeals.

HECUBA

You spoil them. Gabrielle, give one to your sister.

Herodotus, affectionately, love palpable between them, looking up

HERODOTUS

You spoil me, wife.

They approach and kiss.

GABRIELLE

Ewww.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. DREAMSCAPE – MIST – LIGHT

XENA

If that's a real memory I will eat my armor.

VOICE

Become Herodotus.

XENA

I don't like the sound of that.

VOICE

Become the truth.

XENA

I know where this is going and I can't. You don't know what you asking.

VOICE

Save her, lose yourself.

Long silence falls. Xena steels herself for the inevitable and takes action before she loses her nerve.

Xena, accepting

XENA

Yes.

 

CUT TO:

INT. DREAM POTIDAEA – HERODOTUS' HOUSE – NIGHT

Ten year old Gabrielle is helping in the kitchen. She is wearing a tunic and trousers and her head is covered with cloth, hair hidden under it. Gabrielle is sitting at the table and dicing vegetables for soup. Someone enters their home from the outside loudly slamming the door shut and she and her mother share a look of concern.

HECUBA

He is in one of those moods tonight Gabrielle. Let me do all the talking.

Heavy stumbling steps go to the kitchen door and it opens. Xena staggers in and drops down on the chair at the table. Xena glares at Gabrielle's cloth covered hair. Hecuba adds some spices to the pot and stirs it. She picks some of the diced vegetables and adds them to the pot. Gabrielle continues to chop the vegetables as Xena continues to stare. Gabrielle finishes with the vegetables and Hecuba puts them in the pot. Xena suddenly rises and rips the cloth from Gabrielle's hair. Long hair spills out and Gabrielle holds her breath. Xena sits down again and now stares at the top of Gabrielle's head. Hecuba brings some lamb meat from storage and Gabrielle begins to slice it into cubes. Xena is still fixated on the hair. Hecuba comes over to take some of the meat and as she leaves, Xena grabs Gabrielle's knife hand with one of hers and with the other grabs her hair and slams her head into the table. Keeping her grip, Xena comes around to where Gabrielle is sitting. Xena takes the knife from Gabrielle's hand and starts cutting her hair. Xena is slicing roughly and with unsteady hands and manages to cut Gabrielle numerous times. Gabrielle's hair becomes darkened with blood. Xena mostly finishes cutting hair, then throws the knife down and walks out. Gabrielle says nothing during the entire thing and only begins to cry when her father leaves. The tears are for him.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. DREAMSCAPE – MIST – LIGHT

XENA

I think I'm going to be sick.

VOICE

Gabrielle is changing.

XENA

If I was not going to Tartarus before, I am now.

VOICE

Worse.

XENA

You mean they built a special place just for me? Figures.

VOICE

Again?

XENA

How many are there?

VOICE

Lifetime.

Xena, gritting her teeth

XENA

Again.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. DREAM POTIDAEA – HERODOTUS' HOUSE – NIGHT

Twelve year old Gabrielle is sitting at the kitchen table across from Xena. She is wearing her usual outfit and her hair is covered. The air is uneasy and filled with menace.

Xena, smiling cruelly

XENA

Gabe, Dionysia festival is coming, did you want to go?

Gabrielle, unsurely

GABRIELLE

If it pleases my father.

XENA

What will you do at the festival, Gabe? Dance with the girls?

Gabrielle, carefully

GABRIELLE

Yes.

XENA

Because you are my son, right?

GABRIELLE

Yes.

XENA

You like to dance with the girls, Gabe?

GABRIELLE

Your will, father.

XENA

I asked you a question, Gabe; answer your father. Tell me if my son likes to dance with girls.

Gabrielle, sensing disaster, hedging

GABRIELLE

Yes, Gabe likes to dance with the girls.

XENA

And you?

Gabrielle wrangles her hands and stares down at them.

GABRIELLE

Um … no?

XENA

You are my son. Which is it?

GABRIELLE

I … I like to dance with the girls.

Xena, purring

XENA

See, that was easy.

Xena, suddenly remembering something

XENA

You know, Perdicus departs for garrison service and he will be at the festival. What do you want to do Gabe? Do you want to dance with Perdicus?

GABRIELLE

Yes?

XENA

You want my son to dance with a boy?

Gabrielle, thinking fast

GABRIELLE

I will wear a dress.

XENA

My son in a dress dancing with a boy …

Xena slams her fist into the top of the table and Gabrielle jumps.

XENA

You know I love you Gabe.

Gabrielle keeps silent as tears start flowing.

XENA

Why do you disrespect your father?

Gabrielle, crying

GABRIELLE

I don't want to go to the festival.

XENA

You will go to the festival Gabe. You will dance with the girls. You will show respect for your father. Now, tell me you love me.

GABRIELLE

I love you, father.

XENA

Proper.

GABRIELLE

I love you, da.

XENA

Good boy.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. DREAMSCAPE – MIST – LIGHT

XENA

I thought it would get easier, but it is getting worse. I went thru a dozen of those memories and I can't … won't do another.

VOICE

Not ready.

XENA

I am done hurting my friend.

VOICE

Not real.

XENA

My guts are on fire, my head is splitting, and my heart is pounding. Real for me.

Pause. Xena, determined

XENA

Gabrielle knows herself and Gabrielle will find herself now. Take me to the end.

 

CUT TO:

INT. DREAM POTIDAEA – TEMPLE – NIGHT

It is the wedding ceremony. The temple has altars to all the major gods arranged on all three sides, with Zeus' at front. Before the local PRIEST are Gabrielle and Perdicus Gabrielle is back to her old self and Perdicus is about nineteen. Gabrielle is wearing a pale rose dress and Perdicus is wearing a fancy tunic with decorated belt and matching boots. The doors open and Xena enters. Everything stops, silence falls, and the VILLAGERS look at Xena. Xena walks down the aisle and stops at Gabrielle. Gabrielle is now looking around and appears to be confused about where she is and what she is doing.

Xena, grinning

XENA

Hello Gabrielle, nice dress.

Gabrielle, looking down at herself and gasping

GABRIELLE

Wedding dress?! Am I getting married?

Perdicus, confused and concerned

PERDICUS

Beloved, is something wrong?

Xena, looking directly into Gabrielle's eyes, feeling something click

XENA

What do you say I take you away from Potidaea and into a life of adventure and danger? The food is lousy, the ground hard, the weather capricious, and Gods and men will stand against us. I promise you heroic deeds, last minute escapes, stands against impossible odds, and a friend who will stand with you shoulder to shoulder thru the good and the bad.

Gabrielle, smiling warmly

GABRIELLE

I do.

Perdicus grabs Gabrielle by the arm.

Perdicus, possessively

PERDICUS

You are mine!

Gabrielle slugs Perdicus and knocks him out.

Xena, beaming proudly

XENA

That's the bard I know.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. DREAMSCAPE – MIST – LIGHT

Xena is back in the mist.

VOICE

Morpheus comes.

Morpheus appears, as if coming together from the fog itself.

MORPHEUS

Gabrielle is not your friend.

Xena, with disdain

XENA

You lost.

Morpheus, tapping his head with his finger

MORPHEUS

I have Gabrielle's memories and among them is a very special one. Consider it your reward.

XENA

Lies.

MORPHEUS

Admit it, you enjoy hurting Gabrielle. Don't feel bad, she deserves it. She deceived you and lied to you. Reward?

Xena, refusing, less strenuously now

XENA

No.

Pause.

Xena, much quieter

XENA

Yes …

Morpheus, mockingly

MORPHEUS

Never.

The swirling fog clears and there is an image from the past floating in it.

GABRIELLE

Deep down, in the very core of my being, I am drawn to Xena. It is a compulsion, a madness I can't comprehend or put into words. It scares me. I told her I would never leave her. I don't think she understood the true meaning of that statement. Toris, I know it will always be Xena and I. It goes beyond logic, beyond life, and even beyond death. I have a gift to see things in others. And a curse to see it in myself. And what I see is eternity with her dark soul bound to mine. I am damned for all time, a victim of cruel fate. I did not ask for it, I did not deserve it, but I cannot change it, so I accepted it. And I made a decision. I will not bend to the whims of the Gods and capricious Fates, I will shape my own destiny. Xena is the key. She is a good person who took a wrong step at every turn and is now lost in the darkness. Free her and I free myself.

The image fades and the fog is as it was.

Xena shoulders slump and she is clearly crushed.

MORPHEUS

Learn anything interesting?

XENA

The truth of the bond between Gabrielle and I.

MORPHEUS

There is no truth, only facts. And a price to pay for knowing them.

XENA

Meaning?

MORPHEUS

A choice, Xena. Keep the knowledge gained in return for painful memories …

XENA

Or?

MORPHEUS

… let it all return to the mist like the dream it was.

Xena considers her options, and then smiles, having made a decision. It was easy.

XENA

I want to live a lie. I choose to believe in it and I choose to believe in Gabrielle. My answer is: never.

MORPHEUS

Sands of time take away, free this woman from her gain.

Morpheus fades into the fog.

Xena shakes her head to clear it and looks around puzzled.

 

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. WILDERNESS – TEMPLE – EVENING

Gabrielle, stretching tenderly

GABRIELLE

Ow, what fell on me? I remember kissing and then something was crushing me.

Xena is already sneaking out of the temple.

Xena, doing her best angelic impression, guilelessly

XENA

Probably part of the ritual …

Xena stops both abruptly and her head snaps back.

Xena, surprised

XENA

Kissing?!

Gabrielle, backtracking

GABRIELLE

Um … did I say kissing? I meant … um … um … oh, by all the Fates, yes, there was a kiss. One kiss ...

Gabrielle smiles at the memory, lost for a moment.

Gabrielle takes in her surroundings, from the walls to the floor. Her eyes pass over the dead PRIESTS, clouding her visage for a second, and then fall on OLD WOMAN. Xena catches her disapproval and swallows.

Gabrielle, trying to remember, frowning

GABRIELLE

She looks familiar.

XENA

Last wife.

GABRIELLE

Whose wife?

XENA

Morpheus. Her life was one endless dream till she died and you took her place.

GABRIELLE

I was married?!

XENA

You were a bride, but no marriage took place.

GABRIELLE

What was it like … in my dream?

XENA

I have no memory. You?

GABRIELLE

Nothing. Feinted, mountain fell on me, woke up. You know, I do lead an exciting life. Between the blackouts, that is.

Gabrielle drops down from the altar and walks to the OLD WOMAN. She stares deeply into dead woman's brown eyes and she guesses the truth. Recognition dawns.

GABRIELLE

Anastasia …

Gabrielle cradles Anastasia and tenderly kisses her on the lips. She holds her close, seeing the young woman and not the weathered shell in her arms.

Gabrielle, weeping

GABRIELLE

Xena, please build a pyre. And take them with you. I want to be alone.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – TEMPLE CLEARING – NIGHT

The funeral pyre burns against the night sky. Gabrielle turns to Xena and spreads her arms. Xena nods and Gabrielle hugs her. Xena does not hug her back, she just stands there. Gabrielle breaks off and steps back.

Gabrielle, gloomily

GABRIELLE

This is my life now, a series of funeral pyres.

Xena, compelled to speak, being there for her friend, confessing

XENA

I considered the bodies of the fallen to be tools. Used in sieges to break their will or their health, left on fields to mark my glory, and hanged in various pieces and places to mark my reign of terror. That changed in Draco's camp.

Pause.

Xena, gently

XENA

Everything you do, everything you touch, is filled with compassion and care. You extend this to everyone without judgment. Only the truly forsaken don't feel your warmth and yet you embrace them anyway. You hurt for the virtuous and the wicked equally, and even in this darkness I am in, I can see your light shining brighter than the sun. I may turn on you, I may betray you, I … wait let me finish.

Xena, lowering a hand raised to stop Gabrielle's objection

XENA

I know what I am, and I am the best at it. I realize that one day it could happen where we both stand apart, swords crossed. There is a part of me that wants to corrupt and destroy you. I speak of it as fact, as I know myself and have eleven years of bloody proof for it. However, that part is dying.

GABRIELLE

That is one funeral pyre I will be happy to attend.

XENA

Gabrielle, what you have is the rarest gift of all: unconditional love. It draws others, like my brother, as strongly as moths to a flame. Embrace it, yet temper it with wisdom.

Long silence descends on the clearing, broken by the sounds of the fire and nightlife.

Xena, clearing her throat

XENA

The priests died for the wrong reason, but it was right to kill them to ensure our safety. I did not know how long the sleep would last.

GABRIELLE

Why did you tell me?

XENA

Because it is important to you.

GABRIELLE

You did good.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – EARLY MORNING

Xena and Gabrielle finish up sword practice. Xena sets the sword down and picks up a square of linen and soap. Xena is about to walk off for a quick wash when she stops and turns to Gabrielle.

Gabrielle, sighing

GABRIELLE

Time for lessons learned?

XENA

You followed a stranger to an unknown temple.

Gabrielle, protesting

GABRIELLE

Anastasia was good.

XENA

A good person with bad intent is just a dangerous. What happened to those instincts of yours, Gabrielle?

GABRIELLE

I was distracted. She was … Gods she was beautiful.

XENA

The pretty woman routine is for men.

GABRIELLE

Um … it sort of … it works on me too.

XENA

So Toris …

GABRIELLE

No sparks.

XENA

Agapios?

GABRIELLE

Played like a harp, felt bad deceiving him, but it was for greater good.

XENA

Sphaerus?

GABRIELLE

Daddy issues.

XENA

Me?

GABRIELLE

Not into leather and bad girls.

XENA

Hey, that hurts.

GABRIELLE

What, the not interested or the description?

XENA

I could wear a dress.

GABRIELLE

Tartarus must be freezing. Xena, the bards' tales speak of your conquests over men. They don't mention women. Funny that.

XENA

The tales, while true in those aspects, are greatly exaggerated.

GABRIELLE

Xena, you are teasing me. Stick to what you do best.

XENA

Conquests?

GABRIELLE

Men and war.

XENA

All right Gabrielle, but I offered. Threw myself at you and you broke my heart.

GABRIELLE

I will live.

XENA

You are a cruel bard.

GABRIELLE

Yet another burden I will bear in the service of the good.

XENA

You are not making this war of words thing easy.

GABRIELLE

Xena, you are an exceptional warrior with outstanding communication skills, augmented by years of experience manipulating people, but you are going against a bard with natural talent who started talking when she was born and never stopped. This is my field of battle.

XENA

I accept the challenge, let the conquest begin.

GABRIELLE

Wait, are we talking about the same thing here?

Xena, smiling mysteriously

XENA

Wouldn't you like to know.

GABRIELLE

Xena, what are you planning?

GABRIELLE

Xena?

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

 

Return to the Academy