Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“ Losing Hope ”

Episode 34

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. APOLLO'S TEMPLE – SIDE CHAMBER – NIGHT

Xena lies on the makeshift straw pallet, dead to the world. She is bundled to her chin with blankets, leaving her pale face sticking out. Gabrielle is wrapped around Xena like a human octopus. Her open medical kit is on a table nearby; herbs, strips of linen, and bowls in various sizes litter the top of it. There is dried blood on Gabrielle's tunic, blankets, and various spots and things around the room. The look of the things is grim and the poor light and smokiness of the oil lamps exaggerates the effect.

Gabrielle, tired yet pushing on, with hoarse voice

GABRIELLE

The Wind and the Sun were arguing over who is the strongest. To settle the dispute, they decided to let a passing Traveler be the judge. Whoever caused the Traveler to remove his cloak first was the winner. Eager, the Wind went first and blew mightily on the poor man. The Wind huffed and puffed but the more he tried, the tighter the cloak was drawn around the body. When the Wind finally gave up, the Sun came out and the Traveler took off his cloak.

Gabrielle reaches out with a wet rag and wipes Xena's mouth. She squeezes the cloth and lets the moisture drip on the lips and seep inside.

Gabrielle, kindly

GABRIELLE

You liked that one? I have another.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

The Tree was mocking the Bush about being scrawny and weak. The Tree proudly showed off the mighty trunk and the long branches. To which the Bush replied: “That might be but worry about the axes and saws which come for you and pay me no mind”.

Steps sound outside and stop at the door. Shortly, it slowly swings open and Athena enters with a tray of food. She uses her hips to close the door as Gabrielle watches with interest. Athena knows it is not the food that caught Gabrielle attention, so she does her best to exaggerate her walk as she approaches and then does a full spin in front of her appreciative audience to finish the show. Athena bends and gives Gabrielle a quick kiss. A grateful smile is her reward, for the company and the meal.

Gabrielle unwraps herself from around Xena and making room, reaches under the covers. She brings Xena's hand with her when she scoots to the edge of the bed, maintaining the physical contact. The bard swings her legs down, taking a sitting position on the edge of the bed.

Athena waits till her wife settles down and places the tray on Gabrielle's knees; she rests beside the bard.

Athena, placing a hand on Gabrielle's knee and gently stroking with a thumb, concerned

ATHENA

How you holding up?

Gabrielle, closing her eyes with a heavy sigh, worriedly

GABRIELLE

I am afraid. If I stop touching, if I stop talking, if I stop and move away for a second, she will pass.

Athena, wholeheartedly

ATHENA

Then don't. I will gladly take care of you, love; you look after Xena.

Tears come in abundance and Gabrielle's composure breaks as the events catch up to her. Athena takes the tray away and places it on the bed. Rising, she stands in front of Gabrielle and waits patiently. After a short moment of hesitation, Gabrielle tightly wraps her free arm around Goddess' waist and presses her face into the tunic. The bard sobs as Athena makes soothing motions on her back. Not pressing; simply being there for her wife.

Calming down, Gabrielle raises her head and opens her mouth to speak. She finds her words swallowed by a kiss from Athena.

Athena, replacing her lips with her fingers, comfortingly and reassuringly

ATHENA

Shh, you did nothing wrong. You stabilized her and then went to triage the others.

Gabrielle, miserably

GABRIELLE

I failed her.

ATHENA

Love, Apollo agrees that you done a remarkable job. You remained impartial and true to the healer ideals. You saved lives and Xena's. You gave her a chance; this is now her battle.

Gabrielle, beating herself up, stubbornly closing her eyes to the truth

GABRIELLE

I should and could have done more.

Stronger measures called for, Athena showers Gabrielle's tear strained cheeks and closed eyes with kisses until they bloom open and fill with warmth and affection that reflect the one bestowed upon her by the Goddess.

Athena, having already decided, matter of fact

ATHENA

We are; she is not alone, our family will take shifts.

GABRIELLE

Hecuba and Cyrene are yours?

Athena, firmly

ATHENA

Ours.

GABRIELLE

And the Gods?

ATHENA

By birth, not by choice. I found one in you and yours. It was the best day of my long life. It is every day I am with you. I love you.

Gabrielle, brightening further, playfully wipes her wet face on Athena's tunic, leaving wet spots. She gives a shameless smile to the amused Goddess and they break the one-armed embrace, with Athena resuming her seat from earlier.

Gabrielle, feeling better, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Thank you, I love you too. What now?

Athena, returning the tray to its previous location, tone tinged with care, insistently

ATHENA

Eat.

Gabrielle, giving the Goddess an inquiring yet pointed look

GABRIELLE

Did you …?

Gabrielle has her answer right away as Athena guiltily looks away.

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

Join me, love.

They start eating in friendly silence, sharing the food and feeding.

CUT TO:

INT. APOLLO'S TEMPLE – SIDE CHAMBER – LATE MORNING

Things have changed. Gone is the dry blood, healing supplies are organized, and the bloody bandages that were near the door are gone. Lila snores lightly on a bedroll beside the bed. On the other side sits an empty chair. Xena is in the same position and her condition is unchanged. Next to her is Gabrielle, sleeping in close proximity and physically touching.

The door opens and Cyrene walks in, taking in the scene. She quietly makes her way to the pallet. She tenderly strokes Xena's hair and kisses her on the head. She collapses into the chair as Gabrielle's eyes fly open and fasten on her. Cyrene notices one hand is no longer holding Xena and instead wields a knife.

CYRENE

Hello daughter.

Gabrielle, yawning

GABRIELLE

AAAAAUUUUUUUOOWWWHH. Mom, I wish we met in better time. How is mother?

Cyrene, joking

CYRENE

Taking over the inn, now that she runs the kitchen.

Gabrielle puts away the blade and attaches her hand back to Xena. Cyrene sits with hands folded in her lap.

GABRIELLE

Amphipolis has been good for her.

Cyrene, with a hint of anger, darkly

CYRENE

Leaving Potidaea was good for her.

Pause.

CYRENE

I am sorry. I did not mean … she told me … things. If that monster comes around I will run him thru myself.

Gabrielle, calmly

GABRIELLE

People change, father started. It does not alter what passed, but that is for Hades to judge when he is called before him.

Cyrene, surprised

CYRENE

You will speak for him?

Gabrielle, reproachfully, rebuking

GABRIELLE

He is my father.

Cyrene, before she can think, blurting

CYRENE

That honor belongs to Praxiteles.

Gabrielle, unable to stop the sudden watering of her eyes, sadly

GABRIELLE

True.

Cyrene, quietly

CYRENE

What happened?

For a moment there appears to be no chance of an answer, but then the past spills with the tears running down Gabriele's face.

Gabrielle, pain clouding her eyes and sharply biting her insides, sniffling

GABRIELLE

He was sick and recovering in his house. The worthless scavengers found him and … and …

Pause.

Gabrielle, taking a breath to steady herself, voice breaking

GABRIELLE

… butchered him for some cured skins and few trinkets.

Cyrene, sympathetically, consoling

CYRENE

Oh child, I didn't know. I'm sorry again.

Cyrene shifts to the pallet, positioning on the edge. As Gabrielle burrows into Xena for comfort, Cyrene begins to brush Gabrielle's hair with her fingers, soothing her.

Cyrene, wistfully

CYRENE

You lost much in so short a life.

Gabrielle, defiantly drawing a line at Xena, strongly

GABRIELLE

Not her, not Xena.

Pause.

Gabrielle, guessing the source of stories about home life

GABRIELLE

Lila?

Cyrene, nodding

CYRENE

Athena tells her everything and she us; we hear more than we care to know. At first I was wary and Hecuba had a hard time not dropping on her knees every time she saw her. Now she is family.

Pause.

Cyrene, finally getting the courage to ask the first question on her mind, timidly

CYRENE

How is she?

Gabrielle, knowing who Cyrene refers to, honestly

GABRIELLE

Hanging between life and death; she has to choose.

Cyrene, quickly

CYRENE

And if she doesn't?

Gabrielle, mind made up, serenely

GABRIELLE

We will take her home and care for her.

Cyrene, stunned

CYRENE

You will give up your journey?!

Gabrielle, immediately

GABRIELLE

Yes.

Pause.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

We love Xena and she is part of us. Truth be told, Athena finds the domestic, tranquil life to her liking. Living and loving, surrounded by kin, is a brand new experience. On Mt. Olympus she is alone in a crowd, in Amphipolis she is part of it. To her it is not a sacrifice, it is a dream come true.

CYRENE

And you?

Gabrielle, with conviction

GABRIELLE

I made my choice long ago. Xena was right, I chose this; I chose her and I chose Athena. It is clear now.

Cyrene, amazed, with wonder

CYRENE

You don't really know how special you are, do you? Aphrodite may be the Goddess of Love, but you are love.

Gabrielle, lost for words, stuttering

GABRIELLE

I … I don't know what to say to that.

Cyrene, motherly

CYRENE

You don't have to. Rest now; everything depends on you. I believe you will bring my daughter back; if anyone can cure Xena, it's you. You belong together.

Cyrene hums a lullaby until Gabrielle's eyelids close and she drifts off. A sleepy head pops up from the other side of the pallet and eyes half-closed gaze at her expectantly.

Lila, curious and eager

LILA

Is ma coming home and staying?

Cyrene, troubled

CYRENE

Not without a price, child.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. APOLLO'S TEMPLE – SIDE ENTRANCE – 1 WEEK LATER/EARLY MORNING

Unlike the two other sides of the large temple where the support buildings cluster, the western one has expenses of open grass, trees and gardens. In one such space, in the privacy of the trees surrounding a small clearing, Gabrielle is resting peacefully. Her head and upper shoulders are on Athena's lap and the Goddess is playing with the bard's hair.

ATHENA

Tired?

Gabrielle, blinking back from a light doze, sleepily

GABRIELLE

Talked all night.

Athena, wryly

ATHENA

Nothing new there.

GABRIELLE

You don't complain.

ATHENA

I am prejudiced.

Gabrielle captures Athena's right hand and starts kissing the palm.

GABRIELLE

Share.

ATHENA

One of the things I love about you is the words. They caress and touch, excite and enflame, nay, boil my blood. It is like they have weight and presence.

Gabrielle, seductively

GABRIELLE

Are you planning to take advantage of me?

Athena, breathily

ATHENA

Very soon, love.

Gabrielle places Athena's hand in both of hers and presses it to her neck pulse point, keeping it there, covered by hers. Athena picks up the increased beat and smiles down at Gabrielle, who returns a bright and toothy version of the same.

Athena, resisting the temptation temporarily, bluntly

ATHENA

How is she today?

Gabrielle gives her a pout and then her expression turns somber.

Gabrielle, uneasily

GABRIELLE

Stable but unconscious – something is wrong, I feel it.

ATHENA

You know her well.

Gabrielle, appeasing

GABRIELLE

Nothing like we share, just different.

Athena, unperturbed

ATHENA

I am not jealous of what you two have.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Love, you are closer than any and the distance shrinks daily. Part of me is scared I will be lost in you; large part welcomes it.

Athena, teasing

ATHENA

My, this will not do. We can't have any separation now, can we?

Gabrielle, coyly

GABRIELLE

Why Athena, you going to fill the gap?

In answer, the Goddess moves from under the bard, supporting her for the duration, and picks up Gabrielle from the ground. She cradles the bard in her arms and Gabrielle throws her hands around Athena's neck and brings their lips together.

GABRIELLE

Mmmm, I think you will.

ATHENA

Keep kissing like that and we will not make it to our room; the whole temple will witness our union.

Gabrielle, her eyes blazing with fire, daringly

GABRIELLE

Works for me.

ATHENA

Naughty bard.

Athena hurriedly walks to the side entrance door before her legs give out; shaky limbs that have nothing to do with the bard's weight but everything to do with the emotions Gabrielle's touch stirs. For the bard's hands are suddenly very busy and knowledgeable.

CUT TO:

EXT. APOLLO'S TEMPLE – SIDE ENTRANCE/GARDENS – EARLY EVENING

Gabrielle, Athena, and Cyrene stand outside, tunics shifting in the breeze that rose up with the departure of the sun. The moment of decision is at hand.

GABRIELLE

The wounds have closed nicely and her body is healing. Her mind is a different story.

CYRENE

Will it help to stay here?

Athena, looking at Gabrielle and receiving a confirming nod, decisively

ATHENA

We can take better care of her at home.

CYRENE

Yours?

Gabrielle, reassuringly

GABRIELLE

She will not lack for love or attention.

Cyrene, resignedly

CYRENE

Amphipolis it is.

ATHENA

Cyrene and I will get Lila and pack our things; we will take Xena. Love, check your patients and say your goodbyes. I will return when you are ready.

Athena hugs and kisses Gabrielle and then walks off with Cyrene. Gabrielle stands there for a minute and looks over the gardens one last time. Turning, she enters the temple, her walk weighted and her limbs leaden.

CUT TO:

INT. GABRIELLE & ATHENA'S HOME – XENA'S ROOM - 2 WEEKS LATER/NIGHT

Gabrielle, with Athena's help, finishes putting the light tunic on Xena and settles her on the bed. She picks up the basin with dirty water and Athena drapes the washing rag and damp, large linen on her arm. Thus loaded, she heads for the door which Athena gets for her.

Gabrielle almost collides with Cyrene and only just avoids the crash. Cyrene lets her pass and enters the room. She looks at her daughter, pallid and unmoving, and something inside her snaps. She rounds on Athena.

Cyrene, angry

CYRENE

I want, no, I need to know what is going to happen. Gabrielle won't tell me, the friend in her won't give me a straight answer. Athena, is my daughter going to wake up?

Athena, soothingly

ATHENA

With each passing day there is less chance, but we must remain optimistic.

Cyrene, not buying it, lashing out

CYRENE

I don't want to hear comforting lies!

Seeing the hurt expression on Athena's face and in her eyes and realizing how much the Goddess and her family have done so far, she regains control of her emotions with difficulty.

Cyrene, contritely, pleading

CYRENE

It is worse not knowing. Please tell me.

ATHENA

Probably not.

Cyrene screams like a wounded animal and flees the room before grief can catch up to and overwhelm her. Few seconds pass and Gabrielle runs into the room and looks at Athena.

Gabrielle, making a statement, in measured tone

GABRIELLE

You told her.

ATHENA

She deserved it.

Gabrielle, gratefully

GABRIELLE

I know. Thank you.

They look at each other and smile sadly, unspoken understanding passing between them. Gabrielle leaves to find Cyrene and closes the door behind her.

Athena tucks the blankets around the silent form and kisses Xena on the head.

Athena, softly

ATHENA

You might be unconscious Warrior Princess but that does not mean the drama around you stops. You are a troublemaker.

Athena picks up an unresisting arm and places Xena's hand in her lap as she starts her watch. She covers it with hers. With the other she unrolls one of Gabrielle's scrolls and lays it out flat.

Athena, observing

ATHENA

Your light might be dimming but good friends are there to the end.

Athena begins to read out loud.

ATHENA

I sing of prophecy and the darkness in souls. I sing of mother's sacrifice and her selfless love. I sing of Xena the hero and Gabrielle the protector. I sing the tale: Cradle of Hope.

CUT TO:

INT. GABRIELLE & ATHENA'S HOME – XENA'S ROOM - LATE AFTERNOON

Gabrielle sets aside the empty bowl and begins cleaning Xena's face and neck. She carefully and delicately wipes the skin and then dries it with a square of linen. Athena walks in on that part of feeding ritual.

Athena, lightly

ATHENA

Why, just yesterday she was in diapers and breastfeeding and today she is hand fed. I think by forty she will be ready to leave the nest. Our little Xena is growing up.

The pensiveness in the air vanishes as both women laugh themselves into tears.

Gabrielle, clutching her hurting stomach, weakly

GABRIELLE

Thanks.

Athena walks up to Gabrielle and hugs her from behind. She leans in and kisses the top of the bard's head. Gabrielle tilts her head back and Athena walks the line of kisses down her face and over the nose until she reaches her desired destination. They break reluctantly and Gabrielle questions her wife with her eyes.

Athena, loathe to break the mood, bowing to inevitable

ATHENA

What does your experience tell you?

Gabrielle, dropping her head to her chest, recalling

GABRIELLE

Praxiteles taught me that five-six weeks is the point of no return. They don't wake after that or they do but are not right in the mind. Many were struck on the head; Xena has that advantage.

ATHENA

What did you tell Cyrene last night?

Gabrielle, truthfully

GABRIELLE

If I was alone, I would take care of Xena for the rest of her natural life. With a wife and daughter, the answer is different. No love, I am not choosing you and Lila over her. Well, honestly, in a way I am.

ATHENA

Gabrielle, you are the selfless to a fault. I will support or take the decision out of your hands. You don't have to do this alone or at all.

Gabrielle, deciding

GABRIELLE

We make our own fate. Xena has two months; I will make it painless when her appointed hour arrives.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

Could you leave us? I want to talk to her alone.

ATHENA

You did not have to ask but I liked that you did. Yes, please do, she needs to hear this from you. I will wait outside if you need me.

Gabrielle, vulnerable yet holding things in, shakily

GABRIELLE

Please wait for me outside.

Athena kisses Gabrielle's head and gives her a squeeze with her arms. She then leaves the room, giving Xena and Gabrielle the privacy they require in this moment.

Gabrielle, looking at the closing door, fondly

GABRIELLE

I love you. You can leave it open.

The door stops its motion and stays ajar as a sharp breath is drawn at her words.

Athena, lovingly

ATHENA

I love you, Gabrielle. I love her too.

Then slowly and deliberately, it closes all the way and Gabrielle is alone with Xena.

CUT TO:

INT. GABRIELLE & ATHENA'S HOME – XENA'S ROOM – NIGHT

It is Lila's turn to take a shift in the chair. She sets the finished scroll in a growing pile and picks up another to read; Xena is comatose, not a flicker of motion and no response to her efforts. Lila is interrupted by the arrival of her mother.

Athena sits on the side of the bed and twisting, lowers her upper body. She sets her elbows at the sides of Xena's shoulders and frames Xena's face with her hands. Lila clears her throat shyly, asking discretely if her presence is still required. Athena nods and Lila shifts in the chair nervously, not sure if she wants to be here for what is shaping to be a very personal moment. Athena closes the remaining distance and is now inches from Xena's face.

Athena, intently

ATHENA

I don't fear the end; it is not a concern when centuries pass as days. The founding of Athens is but yesterday. With each passing second the Gods grow more remote from this mortal plane. Zeus and Artemis indulge in the pleasures of the mortal flesh frequently – a desperate attempt to feel connected that leaves them more empty and hollow with each act. Others, like Ares, find other distractions. Few find their favorite and ascend them to Olympus or have a series of them in Greece. Lost in their divinity, none feel what I do; they are all fools.

Athena brushes Xena's bangs away from her face with left hand.

Athena, earnestly

ATHENA

I pity them. The Goddess has set down her station and let the woman inside lead her life. Vestiges remain, lurk around like shadows, and only spring forth with the infrequent use of my powers. There is simple joy of living an ordinary life in Amphipolis, raising a family, and being a part of the community. And each day the desire to return diminishes. But one day I must.

Athena kisses Xena's temple.

Athena, tearfully

ATHENA

I envy them for this too shall pass and I will be alone again. Gabrielle grounds me to my humanity. Without her, I will be lost again, worse for knowing what I had and lost. The very idea of her falling at Thermopylae tore me apart. I won't and can't imagine the actual moment.

Lila is now fidgeting, uncomfortable and feeling she is intruding on something she has no business witnessing. She does not yet realize there are many forms of love.

Athena, keeping the right hand cradling Xena's face, reaches down and across Xena's chest and takes Xena's right hand into her left. She intertwines their fingers and places their joined hands on her heart.

Athena, imploring

ATHENA

Everything has a price. I pay mine gladly and willingly and so do you, my friend; you are paying it now. Xena, you think that your life went to a good cause but you are wrong. Your wounds are bound and mending, Gabrielle's skill kept you from Hade's judgment. It is not your time and yet here you lie, unresponsive.

Athena, crying, her voice rising until she is shouting at the end, emotionally

ATHENA

Fight Xena! We dressed your wounds, took care of you, and held you. Fight! You were never alone from the moment you fell on the temple steps. Fight! The promise wife made goes for me and Lila; one of us or Cyrene is always in contact with you. Fight! We are family and we are not letting you go … Gabrielle loves you … I love you … Fight! … FIGHT, DAMN YOU!!!

There is no change of expression or movement but the hand she is holding squeezes hers weakly. Once. Twice.

Athena brings Xena's hand to her lips and kisses it fervently.

Athena, joyously, shouting

ATHENA

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Lila, instantly on her feet, alertly

LILA

I will wake ma.

Lila rushes out of the room, her bare feet pounding on the wooden floor.

Lila, voice moving away, screaming at the top of her lungs

LILA

Ma! Ma! It's Xena!

CUT TO:

INT. GABRIELLE & ATHENA'S HOME – XENA'S ROOM – MORNING

Gabrielle, dressed in a tunic, is sleeping with her back to the wall and lower half on the bed. Heavily bandaged, Xena is laying between Gabrielle's legs, her head resting on the bard's stomach. Gabrielle's arms support her. Athena is next to the bed in the chair, dozing occasionally. She alone is somewhat conscious, watching for further signs. Xena is surrounded by love and caring.

Xena slowly awakens, opening her eyes with some difficulty. Athena instantly brings a waterskin to her parched lips.

Athena, softly

ATHENA

Small sips, easy does it.

Xena, unable to speak, thanks her with her eyes as the cool liquid soothes her mouth and throat. It feels like heaven sliding down. Her fuzzy mind detects a hint of herbs in the water and unbidden, a memory comes to her.

Xena, spilling drops, giggling, in raspy voice

XENA

Herby goodness.

The laugh turns to cough and her body shakes, the pain sending her under once again. As she drifts off, Gabrielle's gentle hands are there holding her still and a lulling voice whispers from above.

Gabrielle, sleepily

GABRIELLE

Hush, no talking. We have you; you are safe. Sleep.

Xena smiles as she sinks down into happy dreams. She is back where she belongs - in Gabrielle's arms. Safe.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. GABRIELLE & ATHENA'S HOME – XENA'S ROOM – NEXT DAY/EVENING

Xena is propped upright on the pillows. She looks drawn and exhausted. Her body stretches limply on the bed. Athena is on the bed on one side and Gabrielle bookmarks Xena on the other. Gabrielle's legs are crossed under her and she is facing Xena. The bard is holding a bowl with rich broth and feeding her with a spoon. It is taking all the concentration Xena has to open her mouth and swallow the liquid. Any spills are promptly wiped by Athena.

Gabrielle, after another successful delivery, cooing

GABRIELLE

Good girl. Good num nums, huh?

Xena, indignantly

XENA

I am injured, not two.

Gabrielle, grinning, continues the baby talk

GABRIELLE

Is my widdle Xena grumpy? Is she?

Xena, growling

XENA

I am going to kill you when I can move my arms.

Athena, philosophically

ATHENA

Motivation is good.

XENA

I am going to murder you too.

ATHENA

The woman changed you, washed you, and fed you. Ingrate.

Xena, irritated

XENA

Go to Tartarus.

Giggles are her answer and she stubbornly focuses on the utensil and ignores them.

CUT TO:

INT. GABRIELLE & ATHENA'S HOME – XENA'S ROOM – EARLY MORNING

Xena slowly finishes chewing the latest forkful and turns her head away to signal her intent. Cyrene sighs and puts away the hardly touched plate of scrambled eggs, feta cheese, tomatoes and olives. Xena avoids her mother's eyes; she is propped on pillows in a sitting position on the bed. Cyrene is in the chair that is become the permanent fixture by the bed.

Cyrene, motherly

CYRENE

You have not said a word and you have no appetite. What's wrong?

Xena, brushing her off, brusquely

XENA

Nothing.

CYRENE

I see. Will you talk to Gabrielle at least?

Silence is her answer. Not deterred and being a mother and Gabrielle's confidant, she reaches out and brings her unresisting daughter into her arms.

Xena eagerly accepts the embrace, her resistance and composure melting away. Abruptly words come spilling out, tumbling out on their own and Xena can't dam the flood.

Xena, bitterly

XENA

I lost my daughter like I lost everything in my life. Lyceus dead, Solan gone, father murdered, Gabrielle married, Hope and Sophus dead; life of sorrow and regret. All that is left is the pain.

Cyrene, shocked by the revelations, scrambling to make sense of it, confused

CYRENE

Who is Solan? Sophus, the stableman Sophus? Wait, when did you have a child, this Hope? With whom?

Xena, agitated, despairing

XENA

I abandoned him and I killed her; I am a bad mother. I am a monster!

Cyrene, distressed

CYRENE

Xena, please calm …

XENA

Leave me!

Gabrielle rushes into the room and bodily removes protesting Cyrene with ease. Xena limply falls on the bed and lies there, helpless, unable to make more than small movements. Her limbs listen but can't obey, drained of strength with disuse and injuries.

Gabrielle, to Cyrene, brooking no dissent, with authority

GABRIELLE

I am a healer and what I say goes. You disturb my patient, you get kicked out.

She shuts the door in the stunned woman's face. This takes both Cyrene and Xena by complete surprise.

Xena, shocked

XENA

Wow.

GABRIELLE

Yes?

Xena clams up again and refuses to engage.

Gabrielle climbs into bed and draws Xena to her, arranging the unresisting woman so that her head is on bard's chest. Grief pours out and soaks her front. Gabrielle strokes the hair soothingly and holds her tightly until the sobs change to sniffles. Then she lays Xena on her back and gets up. She brings the wash basin over and cleans hers and Xena's watery faces. Lifting Xena up to a sitting position against the pillows, she offers a mug of water and slowly helps her drink the contents. Red, watery eyes gaze back at her in devotion as Gabrielle takes a seat on the edge of the bed and captures Xena's hand on her lap in the now familiar gesture. Fingers intertwine by mutual need.

GABRIELLE

Better?

Xena, sincerely

XENA

Happy.

Gabrielle, squeezing her hand, playfully

GABRIELLE

Mine.

Xena, smiling weakly

XENA

You are one of a kind, you mad woman.

Gabrielle, philosophically

GABRIELLE

They say everyone has a double somewhere in the world.

XENA

I met yours and she was definitely on the way to becoming a he.

GABRIELLE

Wait, another Gabe?

Xena, betraying her fears, hesitantly

XENA

You are not letting me go?

Gabrielle, strongly and with conviction

GABRIELLE

Never.

Xena, gratefully

XENA

My loving bard, I have a story for you. It all started with the Fates …

CUT TO:

INT. GABRIELLE & ATHENA'S HOME – XENA'S ROOM – LATE MORNING

Xena drifts off at the end of her tale and Gabrielle brings the mug with cool water to her lips. Xena drinks thirstily, emptying the entire contents and then sinks back into the fluffy softness behind her back, exhausted. She does have strength left to try to reestablish the physical connection and guessing her intent easily, Gabrielle obliges.

Gabrielle, tenderly

GABRIELLE

You love her so much.

XENA

Did …

GABRIELLE

Do.

Xena, melancholically

XENA

If I was here, what happened to several months of my life? Did I imagine it? Did I imagine her? Did I love him?

GABRIELLE

She is real, you did not dream it. You love them both.

Xena, not knowing anymore and wanting to be assured, apprehensively

XENA

How do you know?

Gabrielle, simply

GABRIELLE

It is not that I know; I feel. You do, too.

Xena, pleading

XENA

I want to believe yet how do I reconcile the facts with memories?

Gabrielle, emotionally and strongly

GABRIELLE

Don't you dare, let alone anyone tell you, least of all yourself, that Hope does not exist and she is not your daughter. You brought her into this world and you raised her, however short the time. You are her mother, you are not wrong, and she lives on. Have faith. I do.

Pause.

Gabrielle, vowing solemnly

GABRIELLE

Xena, Hope will live forever. I will scribe every detail and moment you spent with her. I will give you the tangible proof you seek. We will start this evening if you are up to it.

Xena, quietly

XENA

Thank you, my friend. I would like that very much. I wish you could have met her.

GABRIELLE

I too.

Pause.

Gabrielle, mulling something over, thoughtfully

GABRIELLE

I need to talk to the wife. Will you be okay? Do you want someone here?

Xena, apologetically

XENA

Tell mother I am sorry and ask her to come by in an hour. For now I want to be alone.

GABRIELLE

We will be next door.

Xena, honestly and affectionately

XENA

You are closer than that; you are in my heart.

Gabrielle, returning the shared sentiment

GABRIELLE

And you in mine.

Gabrielle returns Xena's hand and adjusts her position to vertical so she can rest. She shifts the blankets for comfort and fit and gently kisses Xena on the forehead. She departs, leaving Xena to her thoughts, having dented the doubts and fears.

CUT TO:

INT. GABRIELLE & ATHENA'S HOME – XENA'S ROOM – EARLY EVENING

Xena is taking her dinner in bed. Athena and Gabrielle sit on the same side of the bed, with the Goddess taking over the meal duties.

GABRIELLE

Xena, we are proud of you. You stepped into that life and lived it with hardly a ripple.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

Athena, we are stopping at four children; five maximum.

Athena intently focuses on her task, seemingly fascinated in the chore to the extent of all else. It does not fool Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE

Love, look at me.

Xena, to Athena, ribbing

XENA

Someone is in trouble.

GABRIELLE

For someone who can barely move, your lips are flapping an awful lot.

Xena concentrates on not drooling on herself.

Athena, conciliatorily

ATHENA

Yes, dear.

GABRIELLE

Don't you “yes dear” me. You don't have to birth them.

Xena, unable to resist, wading in bravely

XENA

Best part of taking over another body – the squat and push part was seven times done. I just caught the end of the trail.

Athena, wickedly

ATHENA

And missed all the fun that went into it.

Gabrielle, piling on

GABRIELLE

By number five they were practically falling out.

Xena, not amused, grumbling

XENA

Tell that to Hope who took all night.

Gabrielle and Athena look at each other with affection and silent understanding. They share a brief kiss and Athena resumes her work. Xena wonders what that was about then tears up about the daughter she lost. It hurts. It always will.

Athena, promising

ATHENA

Gabrielle, I will give you everything you want and nothing you don't. Always.

Pause.

Athena, to Xena, comfortingly and with genuine sorrow

ATHENA

Xena, I'm sorry for your loss.

Xena falls silent as emotions overwhelm her and spill down her face. Athena leaves the bed and looks for a place to set the bowl. Gabrielle crawls up to the wall and takes a seat next to Xena. She throws an arm around Xena's shoulders and looks at Athena expectantly. The Goddess immediately comes over and settles down between the bard's spread legs; an arm goes around her waist and holds her in place. Xena rests her head on Gabrielle's shoulder as Athena places her cheek against the bard's chest. Gabrielle supports her chin on top of Athena's head.

GABRIELLE

Everyone good?

Athena turns her head and places few small kisses on her wife's neck and collarbone. Xena sniffles her answer.

Gabrielle, making a statement, warmly

GABRIELLE

It was different with Solan.

XENA

I was not capable then of loving him; of loving anyone. I did not make the same mistake twice. Hope was loved.

Pause.

Xena, remembering, fondly

XENA

She was my reflection, blue eyes and dark hair. She had her father's nose and mouth. Hope was the best of us and I loved her from the moment I first felt her stirring in me.

ATHENA

Were you happy?

XENA

I was loved and I loved in return. And yet … I missed you and Gabrielle. There was a void in my life.

GABRIELLE

I understand. I felt the same way when I met Athena; it was like finding a part of yourself you didn't even know was missing. Then one day you look and there is your other half and you wonder how you survived without it.

ATHENA

You just know and then you do something about it or walk away.

Gabrielle, kissing Athena's head, chiding lightheartedly

GABRIELLE

Speaks a woman who almost bolted when things got interesting.

ATHENA

I got scared; you moved too fast. No worries, I got over it quickly.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

And how.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

It was the best decision of my life. At the time it was right but it still felt like a reckless plunge. How would you put it, love?

ATHENA

I wish we married on the night we met.

GABRIELLE

Athena!

ATHENA

I can't be apart from you, love.

Xena, listening contently and sharing in their banter, sadly

XENA

I envy you that.

Gabrielle, to Xena, reassuringly

GABRIELLE

You have us. Not the same, just different.

Athena, to Xena

ATHENA

You are family.

Pause.

Athena, to Gabrielle

ATHENA

Now I wonder why we waited so long. Looking back, we knew right away. I admitted it early and you fought it. You met your match but surrender did not come easily.

XENA

The innkeepers thank the Gods. Well, one God. Well, one Goddess.

Gabrielle, whispering

GABRIELLE

I have a confession.

Xena, encouragingly

XENA

Share.

ATHENA

Have courage.

GABRIELLE

I felt I owed Xena a chance.

XENA

Thank you.

Gabrielle, to Athena

GABRIELLE

Are you upset?

ATHENA

No, I trusted in us from the beginning.

GABRIELLE

Your faith was rewarded, love.

Gabrielle, to Xena

GABRIELLE

Yours too, Xena.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. GABRIELLE & ATHENA'S HOME – XENA'S ROOM – NIGHT

Gabrielle sets the chamber pot out of the way and returns to find Xena troubled.

Gabrielle, correctly guessing what is eating Xena, patiently

GABRIELLE

It is a strength to place yourself in the hands of another. You would do the same for me.

XENA

I would take advantage of you. What is this going to cost me?

GABRIELLE

Nothing, freely given …

Xena, nodding understanding, the words familiar

XENA

… from the heart. We going on the road again?

GABRIELLE

When you recover.

Gabrielle walks over to the bedside table and picks up the scroll. She yawns widely and turning, prepares to leave. A hand shoots out and grabs her; Gabrielle is not surprised.

XENA

You and Athena believe in Hope; my mother thinks otherwise.

Gabrielle, cutting to the truth, bluntly

GABRIELLE

Cyrene is wrong. Xena, your child lives on.

Gabrielle, touching the side of Xena's head

GABRIELLE

In here.

Gabrielle, placing a hand on Xena's heart

GABRIELLE

And here.

Pause.

Gabrielle, adamantly

GABRIELLE

Hope is your daughter, now and in the beyond. Mourn her loss but love her always. We and family will be here for you; to talk, to listen, and to comfort you. You are not alone in your pain; you will not suffer by yourself unless you chose. Even then one of us will do their best to share your burden, because we care. And because we love you.

Xena, admiring

XENA

You gave up your daughter for me. There is no doubt with you; there never was. I am the weak one.

Gabrielle, pointedly

GABRIELLE

Don't set me on a pedestal; you did the same for me.

Xena, stubbornly

XENA

Gabrielle, you always put me first. You keep saving me with every word and gesture, every moment you spend with me. You don't judge, you accept. I want to return that trust and tell you about my past. Not the happy childhood; the bad times. You get to hear the complete and uncensored version straight from the source.

Gabrielle, warningly

GABRIELLE

Some things should remain private.

Xena, making it final

XENA

Not between us; not anymore.

Gabrielle looks into Xena's eyes and considers the offer. Xena stares back at her, unblinking. Long moments pass in silent judgment.

Gabrielle, satisfied

GABRIELLE

Yes.

Gabrielle helps Xena return to a sitting position and takes a seat on the side of the bed.

Xena, flatly

XENA

After Cortese I had a talent for the sword and compulsion to use it. Others heard and joined me; like flock together, I guess. The harvest got too bloody and the bounties numerous so we headed for the sea. Raided a ship in port, slaughtered the crew and dumped them in the harbor. Kept a few as instructors and when they outlived their usefulness, they joined their brothers under the waves. We preyed on merchants and destroyed the small boats for fun. We would hang the fisherman on his own mast, lock the rudder and sail, and place bets if he would beach or veer off.

Gabrielle, uncomfortable

GABRIELLE

Xena …

Xena, reminding Gabrielle, unapologetic

XENA

No secrets.

Gabrielle, steeling herself, resigned

GABRIELLE

Continue.

XENA

One day the cargo was Caesar. He was my first conquest but not the first victim; there was already a long line of those in front of him. Charon was very busy during those years …

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page