Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Return of Callisto ”

Episode 38

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. CALLISTO'S CAMP – HOVEL – TWO MONTHS AGO/MORNING

Callisto sits at a table, playing with the dagger and lost in thoughts. Theodorus patiently stands before her, forgotten. When he can't take the silence anymore, he clears his throat loudly and his presence finally registers. Weary eyes settle on him.

Callisto, apathetic

CALLISTO

How many are left?

THEODORUS

Eight, counting me.

CALLISTO

Why do they stay?

Theodorus, shrugging

THEODORUS

Loyalty, love, stupidity: who can tell?

Callisto, sharply

CALLISTO

And you?

Theodorus, sincerely

THEODORUS

Picked you, staying for better or worse; seen you at your lowest and at your best.

CALLISTO

What if I leave?

Theodorus, faithfully

THEODORUS

I will be here waiting, so will the men.

Callisto, pushing him away, coldly

CALLISTO

You shouldn't, Theodorus. You deserve better.

THEODORUS

It has nothing to do with deserving. It just is, Xe…

Theodorus stops halfway thru her old name, unsure of its reception.

CALLISTO

Call me Callisto.

CUT TO:

INT. CRENIDAS – INN ROOM – LAST MONTH/NOON

Callisto lies in bed, trying to decide if today is the day she heads north to the Amazons. Days pass in indecision. Today is no different.

There is a flash of light and Ares appears. He leisurely takes in the small room and then heads to the foot of the bed, where he stands with his arms crossed on his chest. He gazes down at Callisto and she ignores him.

Ares, looking and sounding disappointed

ARES

Running away?

Callisto, sarcastically

CALLISTO

Missed your imitation Xena?

Ares, confidently

ARES

I have the real thing.

Callisto, scoffing

CALLISTO

Xena is Gabrielle's.

ARES

Everyone lies.

Callisto, guardedly

CALLISTO

Meaning what?

Ares, lying

ARES

Athena was a conquest, one of many. Xena is hers by soul, heart, and marriage.

Callisto, pretending indifference, dismissively

CALLISTO

It is of no interest to me. Not anymore.

ARES

What are you going to find with Amazons?

Callisto, gruffly

CALLISTO

Love.

Ares comes around and sits on the bed. He caresses her arm and she withdraws it.

Ares, insidiously

ARES

What about the one you left behind?

Callisto, bitterly

CALLISTO

There is nothing left for me in the old life.

ARES

You are wrong.

Callisto, resigned

CALLISTO

Xena will gut me as soon as she lays eyes on me and this time Gabrielle will not stop her.

ARES

You are half right.

CALLISTO

Meaning?

Ares, selling it, convincingly

ARES

Gabrielle loves you.

Callisto laughs in his face.

Ares, nonplussed

ARES

What did you feel when she touched you?

Callisto, grudgingly

CALLISTO

Fine, you say Xena is her wife. Again. Gabrielle denied it and stated it is Athena. Why would she leave Xena? What do I have to offer? You know she could have had me, could have done anything she wanted and I would not stop her. Could not.

Pause.

Callisto, quietly, with a hint of despair creeping in

CALLISTO

I craved her touch. Even, I fear, needed it. I was hers for the taking.

ARES

She didn't and that is your answer.

Callisto, afraid of the answer

CALLISTO

Does she love Xena?

ARES

Does it matter? Gabrielle gets what she needs from her. If she finds a better offer, she will take that.

Callisto, seeing hope for the first time, trying not to appear to be too eager

CALLISTO

How does that help me?

Ares, knowing he has her, smiling

ARES

“Bet on a strong horse” is the bard's philosophy.

Callisto is hanging onto his every word, indecision and pessimism gone.

Ares, strongly

ARES

Take her. Love her. Win her.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. DREAM CIRRA – FIELD OUTSIDE VILLAGE - AFTERNOON

Twelve year old Callisto is gathering flowers, cutting them with a knife and adding to the basket. She is a happy, smiling girl, almost a woman. She looks forward to marriage and joined life filled with children of her own and a devoted husband - the dreams of the young and innocent.

The peaceful, tranquil setting is invaded by Xena's band. Coming from all sides, they herd the VILLAGERS towards the center of town. Most VILLAGERS run and hide inside their homes, a futile effort it would seem. However, if the warlord is in a hurry, the strategy might work. Not with Xena, but they don't know that.

One of the SOLDIERS heads straight for Callisto and she cowers in fear and stands there, frozen. His sword is drawn and Callisto thinks this is the end of her. She prays and hopes that killing is all that is on his mind.

Then he is upon her, flat of the blade going under chin and lifting her head up. She looks into his eyes and knows what is going to happen. The basket drops from her hand and she screams. It only makes the SOLDIER smile.

Suddenly, there is motion behind the SOLDIER and a hand goes over his mouth as a dagger goes into his throat. He struggles briefly and then slumps down, guided to the ground. There he lies, breathing out life.

Before Callisto stands Gabrielle. She is a vision of remembered beauty, seemingly lit from behind, haloed by her hair fluttering with the wind sprung from nowhere. Leather armor, men's clothes, heavily armed, yet all woman.

Gabrielle breaks the spell temporarily by bending down and retrieving her dagger. She wipes it clean, ignoring the dying SOLDIER, and moves to stand before the girl. Callisto gazes at Gabrielle openly, enchanted and enraptured. Her heart is beating so fast, it is the loudest sound in the field, at least to her ears.

Gabrielle reaches out and brushes the hair way from Callisto's face. She brushes her cheek lightly and then cups her face, lifting it up and tilting it slightly. Callisto knows what's coming and wants it. More than she wanted anything in her short life.

Gabrielle, promising life together and claiming Callisto for her own, passionately

GABRIELLE

Be mine.

It is not a question. Gabrielle is not asking, she is taking and the girl knows it. She is fine with it, surrendering willingly. Callisto closes her eyes as Gabrielle's lips descend on her own. Callisto did not fall in love with her savior; she was always in love with her.

CUT TO:

INT. DREAM ARMY CAMP – COMMAND TENT - NIGHT

Twelve year old Callisto wakes up in the iron cage. The empty tent is illuminated with oil lamps; no other keeps her company. Crumbs of bread littler the floor and a mostly empty waterskin lays near her. What was real: her family's death or Gabrielle's kiss?

Callisto, confused and scared, calling out

CALLISTO

Gabrielle? Gabrielle?

Then there are loud footsteps outside, someone is heading towards the tent with a sloshing noise.

Callisto, whispering, pleading to the shadows

CALLISTO

Please save me.

Xena enters, two buckets in hand. She sets them near the cage and without speaking, dumps the water from each on Callisto, who screams and curls into a ball, shivering.

Xena, harshly

XENA

First lesson: love is for the weak. We will repeat until it sticks. You have no one; no family, no friends, no village, and no home. Gabrielle does not exist and you are alone.

Pause.

Xena, crouching and looking into Callisto's eyes, deadly serious

XENA

I expect to rest undisturbed. You do and I give you to the men. I will not warn you again. Callisto, the strength to prevail is inside you, burning, warming the insides and comforting in its oblivion. Let go of love. Let the hate in; let it blaze.

CUT TO:

INT. CRENIDAS – INN ROOM - AFTERNOON

Callisto wakes up with a start, her memories an incoherent jumble of images and voices. However, she does know one truth that remains constant.

Callisto, whispering, with gratitude and affection

CALLISTO

I love you, Gabrielle. You saved me.

Callisto hears clapping. She turns towards the crisp sound and of course it is Ares, lounging on the chair nearby. He picks up a goblet, raises it, and salutes her.

Ares, cheerfully

ARES

To love.

CALLISTO

What did you do to me?

Ares, innocently

ARES

Me? Nothing.

Callisto, threatening

CALLISTO

I don't care for your games.

Ares, pushing her, lightly

ARES

Ah, but what is life without play?

Callisto, irritated

CALLISTO

What do you want and what is the price? I won't bed you again, I am Gabrielle's.

Ares makes the goblet vanish and then he stands up.

Ares, drawing a sword

ARES

It appears I have been remiss in your education. Shall we?

Callisto, too quickly, betraying herself in her haste

CALLISTO

One condition.

Ares, knowing what she will ask, amused

ARES

Yes?

Callisto, nervously

CALLISTO

I want more … with her …

Ares, smiling

ARES

I don't blame you.

CUT TO:

EXT. DREAM WILDERNESS – RIVER – NIGHT

Gabrielle leads Callisto by hand to the fire, the two women wearing underwraps and river water. She bends and picks up a piece of linen and sensually dries Callisto, who is shivering, but not due to the cold. Done, Gabrielle refuses help and puts on a show, slowly wiping the water from her own body, under the rapt gaze of Callisto.

Callisto groans in disappointment when Gabrielle finishes the performance. Grinning, Gabrielle takes her hand and leads her to the bedroll. Callisto is pushed down onto her back and Gabrielle straddles her stomach. Callisto starts to place her hands on Gabrielle's hips, when they are caught and firmly set back down. The bard reaches behind her back and takes out a throwing knife from her lower underwraps. Callisto watches her wearily, suddenly uneasy and feeling vulnerable.

Gabrielle, showing the weapon to Callisto, casually

GABRIELLE

The average man sees a utilitarian object, a tool of war.

Pause.

Gabrielle, placing the blade on Callisto's neck, grazing the pulse point, suggestively

GABRIELLE

I am an artist, philosopher, and a lover. I admire the simplicity of the design, ponder the moral implications behind its use, and most importantly, enjoy the intricacies of its function.

Callisto, who remains motionless, swallowing nervously, fear fighting with arousal

CALLISTO

What are you doing?

Gabrielle, looking right into Callisto's eyes as she starts moving the blade, seductively

GABRIELLE

I find the steel fascinating.

The sharp tip travels in random patterns on Callisto's upper chest, lightly and carefully kissing the supple, yielding flesh, while the bard's eyes trap and hold Callisto in place.

Gabrielle, voice full of promise and need

GABRIELLE

The way it feels on naked skin.

Gabrielle slides the edge under Callisto's upper underwraps and severs them right down the middle. The blade continues its meandering journey south and Gabrielle leaves the breasts covered, leaving the unwrapping of this open present for later.

Gabrielle, breathily

GABRIELLE

The way it lays bare, leaving beauty for the taking.

Gabrielle slides down onto Callisto's thighs, opening the stomach to the weapon's touch. Callisto's hands, not be denied any longer, move up Gabrielle's legs, fingers running up and down the thighs, stroking and trailing fire.

Gabrielle, purring

GABRIELLE

The way it liberates hidden desire.

The blade reaches Callisto's lower underwraps and starts cutting through them. It abruptly stops.

Gabrielle, demanding everything, softly but with an edge

GABRIELLE

The way it invites surrender.

Callisto, willingly giving, wholeheartedly

CALLISTO

I love you, Gabrielle. Take me.

The battle won, the knife resumes its intimate work, ready to claim the prize. Love is war, but its spoils far sweeter.

CUT TO:

EXT. DREAM CABIN – PORCH - DUSK

A log house sits in the clearing near a stream. Outside, there is nothing except the sounds of the forest. From inside, the clanking of pots indicates someone is at work on dinner. A very pregnant Gabrielle dozes on a large chair up front, surrounded by pillows. She shifts restlessly, trying to find the position that causes the least discomfort. There is peace and domestic tranquility to the scene.

There is a flash of light and Ares appears. He walks up to Gabrielle and sleepy eyes open and take him in.

GABRIELLE

Hey you.

ARES

How is the little warrior?

Gabrielle is not the only one awake.

Gabrielle, making soothing motions on her enormous belly, grinning

GABRIELLE

You sure he is ours? He is already waging war inside; takes after someone I know.

Ares, amiably, joking

ARES

He is the son of two warriors and blessed by the God of War. I will be surprised if he does not greet the world armored and armed.

Gabrielle, shuddering at the visual her fertile mind supplies

GABRIELLE

Ouch. He better not, I have to push him out.

Pause.

Gabrielle, turning her head, to Callisto, loudly

GABRIELLE

Honey, Ares is here.

Callisto, comfortable in cook role, calling back, friendly

CALLISTO VOICE-OVER

Ask him to join us for dinner.

Ares nods in answer and sits on the step.

Gabrielle, hesitantly

GABRIELLE

How is Xena?

ARES

She searches; she won't give up on you.

Gabrielle, uneasy

GABRIELLE

That is what I am afraid of.

CUT TO:

INT. DREAM CABIN – BEDROOM – NIGHT

A painful slap wakes Callisto and she immediately takes stock of her situation. She is securely tied to the chair and Xena towers over her, torch in hand. There is blood on Xena, her armor, face, and her hands. Xena gives Callisto a macabre, crimson smile.

Frantically, Callisto looks around and her eyes fall on the bed and the red stained sheets. They appear to be covering something; a small, still shape. And with a sudden, horrible realization Callisto understands. Keening escapes her, marking her loss.

Xena, hatred in her voice

XENA

I cut your filth out of her.

Xena picks up jug from the floor by the bed and pours the alcohol over the bloody linens. She lights it with the torch and then goes around the room, setting fire to everything. She stops in front of Callisto, who looks at her incomprehensively thru tear stained eyes.

Xena, viciously

XENA

Burn with your dead bastard.

Xena leaves, closing the door and then barring it from the other side. Callisto ignores the growing inferno and stares at the bed, her entire world dead in flames. Again.

Abruptly, there are sounds of struggle outside and Callisto turns her head towards them. She puts the absence of bard's body and Xena's words together: Gabrielle is still alive!

Callisto leans forward and stands on the balls of her feet. The chair makes it awkward but not impossible. She faces the large open window and judges the angle. Satisfied, she slowly backs up and then hops forward, building momentum. On the last one, she coils and launches herself, furniture and all, thru the window.

Callisto lands in a crash of broken wood on her back, her breath ripped out by the impact. As is her heart, when she watches helplessly as Xena disappears into the forest with Gabrielle in her arms.

Behind her, everything turns to ash: her son, her second chance at life, the growing family she had with Gabrielle, and the house they built together. Gone forever.

CUT TO:

INT. CRENIDAS – INN ROOM - NIGHT

Screaming pierces the night, coming from upstairs. It is part wailing, part lament, and part madness; it barely sounds human.

The PATRONS look at the source and then at each other and quickly depart, emptying the tavern in seconds. GUESTS rush downstairs and out the door. The STAFF and INNKEEPER, with his extended family of WIFE, CHILDREN, and GRANDPARENTS, are the last to leave. No one wants to encounter Callisto in that state of grief and insanity.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST – MIDMORNING

Xena and Gabrielle are walking through the sparse woods, Argo following on her own close behind them, lead rope forgotten. The women look and act relaxed, meandering aimlessly and without purpose, though Gabrielle scans the forest once in a while by habit.

Gabrielle, deciding to liven their morning, orating in her bard's voice

GABRIELLE

My heart, my heart, all disturbed by sorrows inconsolable,

Bear up, hold out, meet head on the many foes that rush on you

Now from this side and now that, enduring all such strife up close,

Never wavering; and should you win, don't openly exult,

Nor, defeated, throw yourself lamenting in a heap at home,

But delight in things that are delightful and, in hard times, grieve

Not too much - appreciate the rhythm that controls men's lives.

Xena, mildly

XENA

You are aware that Archilochus was obsessed with the carnal and his poetry reflects that?

Gabrielle, impishly

GABRIELLE

I am the servant of Athena, Goddess of War

And skilled in the lovely gift of the Muses.

XENA

Gabrielle, warrior poet. Now if only we could confine your profuse Athena fixation to parchment …

GABRIELLE

No Hestia maidens to save today. I am disappointed for you.

Xena, easily falling into pattern of past exchanges, bantering

XENA

I am over that addiction.

Gabrielle, sweetly

GABRIELLE

Back to men?

XENA

The tragic hero one; whatever they need rescuing from is usually armed to the teeth or wants to sink them into me. And not in a good way.

GABRIELLE

So if a young, clearly distressed woman run up to us, full chest heaving from the effort …?

Xena, smartly

XENA

I leave you here to face whatever is chasing her and take the girl away on Argo.

Pause.

XENA

For her safety, of course.

GABRIELLE

Riiiiight.

XENA

Because I care?

GABRIELLE

About privacy?

XENA

You and Athena sure don't.

Gabrielle, pointedly

GABRIELLE

And you love it.

Xena, growing serious for a moment, honestly

XENA

Gabrielle, I will never be over you, but Athena is the only person I accept that is worthy of your love and hand.

Gabrielle, clearly touched, gratefully

GABRIELLE

Thank you.

However, Gabrielle is only momentarily distracted from the conversation and picks right where they left off.

Gabrielle, wickedly

GABRIELLE

And if a handsome, young man with a heaving chest run up to us? Minus the shirt, which he lost in panicked flight, and glistening with olive oil he accidently, somehow ended up covered in?

Xena, nonchalantly

XENA

Heroes don't discriminate; up on Argo he goes.

Gabrielle, laughing

GABRIELLE

You are bad.

XENA

You are married and part of hero's job is comforting the pretty ones; someone has to take one for the team.

GABRIELLE

Sure is a sacrifice for you.

Xena, loftily

XENA

It's in the hero code.

GABRIELLE

Which is best accomplished with their clothes off?

XENA

Naturally. Have to check for injuries.

GABRIELLE

Speaking of: any villages nearby?

Xena, marking direction with an extended arm

XENA

Two hours by foot that way.

Gabrielle spaces out for a second and few seconds later Athena materializes as a white horse ahead of them. Gabrielle walks up and kisses her on the muzzle; Xena hangs back. The bard mounts expertly and whistles for Argo, who trots next to the transformed Goddess. The two horses greet each other like old friends.

Gabrielle, turning and looking back, grinning

GABRIELLE

Walk off those impure thoughts before you touch my patients. Hero.

Xena, to Argo, outraged

XENA

Traitor!

Argo neighs indignantly in response and takes off, heading for the village. Xena is left with her boots for transportation.

Xena walks up to Gabrielle and looks up at her. Warm smile greets her and Xena's heart jumps at the implication. But first, a toll, one she will gladly pay.

Xena, affecting chastised and gilding her voice with remorse, beseeching

XENA

Please? I will be good.

Gabrielle, unable to say no in face of such contrition, invitingly

GABRIELLE

Hop on and hang tight.

Ever the showoff, Xena walks a few steps back, and then runs and leaps. She spins in the air and lands behind Gabrielle. Her arms circle Gabrielle's waist and draw her close.

Xena, happy

XENA

I have you.

Gabrielle, patting Xena's arms around her middle, gently

GABRIELLE

You always do.

Gabrielle gives the signal and Athena goes from standing still to blur. Blonde and black hair whip in the wind together and delighted excitement bursts forth from both women.

CUT TO:

EXT. VILLAGE – TAVERN/INN – LATE MORNING

Xena has the saddlebags over her shoulder and she and Athena stand outside the establishment, waiting for the bard. Gabrielle appears shortly, as if reading their impatience. The Goddess could really use a bath and Xena is giving her a wide berth.

Gabrielle, cheerfully

GABRIELLE

Two rooms upstairs, common bath downstairs, next to kitchen. Xena, you behave; join me on rounds after.

XENA

How did you guess?

GABRIELLE

Easy: hot water and Athena or hygiene deficient peasants and their ailments. Yes, you heard right; you go in there alone, nothing short of a Persian invasion will get you out before dinner, if then.

Xena, to Athena, practically running inside in her eagerness, joyfully

XENA

Come on, you heard the wife: let's get naked and wet.

Gabrielle shakes her head as Xena storms the inn. Athena gives her wife a quick kiss and a bright smile, and then heads inside as well. Gabrielle shifts the large healer's kit for easier carry and resolutely heads to her first patient.

CUT TO:

EXT. VILLAGE - HOUSE - EARLY EVENING

Xena and Gabrielle are outside a home, huddled over parchment.

Gabrielle, after checking the list, finger directed at the residence in question

GABRIELLE

One more in that house, cut on foot not healing and high fever. Off to dinner and barding, see you in the tavern.

XENA

It's a child, isn't it?

GABRIELLE

You know it.

XENA

You won't turn me into a mother.

Gabrielle, profoundly, the sentiment genuine

GABRIELLE

You are one.

Gabrielle leaves stunned Xena behind and walks towards the inn in the distance.

CUT TO:

EXT. VILLAGE – TAVERN/INN – EARLY EVENING

Gabrielle is intercepted crossing the town square. A nine year old BOY runs up to her and grabs her arm.

BOY, pulling, urgently

BOY

Help! Help!

Gabrielle, firmly to settle him down, then continuing gently and sympathetically

GABRIELLE

Stop! What's wrong?

BOY, upset and crying

BOY

Mother got kicked by a horse and now her insides hurt. Please, help us!

Gabrielle, hugging him, soothingly

GABRIELLE

There, there, it's okay; you did your mother proud. What do you say we go see her and make her better?

BOY, shyly

BOY

I'm Melas.

Gabrielle, releasing him and showing him the medical bag, upbeat

GABRIELLE

Well Melas, you got yourself a healer and look here, medicine.

He takes off running and Gabrielle strides after him, easily keeping up.

CUT TO:

INT. VILLAGE – BEDROOM – EVENING

The room is small and sparsely furnished. Bed, chest, small table and basin with water on it attest to the poverty. The furniture is homemade, roughly cut, yet solid in construction. On the bed lies an OLDER WOMAN, face pale and twisted in pain. She is clutching her stomach and groaning.

The door opens and Gabrielle walks in. She sets the kit down by the bed and moves towards the OLDER WOMAN, preparing to inspect the injuries. She opens her mouth to speak and something strikes her neck.

Gabrielle frowns and reaches for the embedded object. She pulls out a dart and sniffs it. She turns as she drops it and knives go flying at Callisto, who barely gets out of the way. Gabrielle manages to knick her in the neck with the initial volley.

The bard bends down and retrieves the two from her boots. That is not a smart idea, as the room starts spinning. The drug is working fast, robbing her of balance and consciousness. Stubbornly, she refuses to give in and throws the knives. Severely handicapped or not, they fly and impact the blurry figure in her vision right in the chest.

Gabrielle, mumbling as her vision goes black and the dark claims her, cursing

GABRIELLE

Sheep poop.

Gabrielle hits the floor with a thud, out like a light.

Morpheus pulls out two knives out of his chest, one in his heart and one in his lung. Gabrielle was down to instinct and the will to survive at all cost. If he was not a God, he would be dead. The weapons hit the floor with a metallic sound.

Morpheus waves his hand and the OLDER WOMAN and Melas disappear.

Morpheus, ethereally, with a dreamy and unfocused voice

MORPHEUS

Bring her to my temple and the future you desire is yours.

He fades out and Callisto rushes to Gabrielle's side; crouching, she skillfully and swiftly disarms the bard and removes her armor. She keeps the belt with pouches and returns it, but only after tossing anything sharp or potentially deadly. Then, Callisto carefully lifts the tunic clad Gabrielle from the floor and kisses her lolling head.

Callisto, tears streaming, fiercely

CALLISTO

I won't lose you, Gabrielle. Xena murdered our son and destroyed your will and spirit, like mine. What she could not defeat is our love. We will live together as we were meant to be. Forever.

She leaves with Gabrielle, cradled protectively to her chest.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – ROAD - NIGHT

Xena thunders down the road, following the owl flying ahead. The moonlit night makes things easy and she and Argo fly down the empty stretch, sparkling dust settling behind their passage.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS - OVERGROWN TRAIL – DAWN

Callisto is on her horse, holding the lightly swaying figure in front of her by the hips. The pace is slow – there is evidently no hurry to reach the destination. Gabrielle's hands are tied in front of her and she appears out of it. Callisto's hands are not stationary; they roam with a life of their own, touching and stroking the bard's body with varying speed and intensity. She has a lost, dreamy expression on her face as opposed to the blank one on Gabrielle's.

Gabrielle's eyes flutter open but her body maintains its swaying motion, not betraying her wakefulness in the slightest. Carefully, her fingers sneak into a pouch on her belt and remove a small pinch of something. She then closes her eyes and returns to the darkness.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – OVERGROWN TRAIL – EARLY MORNING

Gabrielle and Callisto crest a hill and the camp sprawls in the valley below. It appears to be a hamlet taken over and repurposed for Callisto's needs. There is little activity in the cluster of buildings and it appears abandoned. Only the thin smoke rising from a single chimney gives lie to that impression.

As soon as the horse starts downslope, Gabrielle comes awake with a jerk, ripping away from Callisto's too slow hands and then violently pitching forward. Gabrielle ends up near the mane and quickly and discreetly slips the herb into her mouth. She goes slack again.

Callisto grabs her and then realizes Gabrielle is not escaping as she believed. She is out and it was likely the change in motion that disturbed her temporarily.

Callisto, tenderly

CALLISTO

Can't have you fall, my beloved bard. We have a life to live.

Not taking chances, Callisto slips her arms around Gabrielle's waist and brings her back. She scoots as close as possible so they are pressed together. She burrows into Gabrielle's hair and parts it with her face. She blows the few stray hairs away from the neck and places a reverent kiss on the bare flesh.

Callisto, overwhelmed by her proximity to Gabrielle, intoxicated with feelings

CALLISTO

I missed touching you, being with you, listening to you. Loving you.

Callisto, placing kisses on Gabrielle's nape as she talks

CALLISTO

I forgive you.

Kiss.

CALLISTO

Please forgive me for what I am about to do.

Kiss.

CALLISTO

It will only hurt for a while.

Kiss.

CALLISTO

They must know you are mine.

Kiss.

CALLISTO

And once Xena dies, you will be.

Kiss.

Callisto, possessively

CALLISTO

Mine.

Callisto laugh of happiness is tinged with madness.

CUT TO:

INT. CALLISTO'S CAMP – SMITHY – MORNING

It is a typical blacksmith's shop, with its furnace and assorted tools. It is hot inside, with the fire stoked and windows closed. Two tables are placed in a T shape and Gabrielle is laid out on them in her underwraps. Her tunic, boots and trousers are in a crumpled heap on the floor to the side.

Four MERCENARIES enter and stand before Callisto, awaiting instructions.

Callisto picks up a branding iron ending with a capital C and places it in the fire.

Callisto, as if discussing things of no importance instead of torturing a person, calmly

CALLISTO

Mark her on the chest, on each limb, and on the lower back. Gabrielle belongs to me and it is time everyone knows it.

Even those hardened men are repulsed by her order.

Callisto, taking out and playing with her dagger, charmingly

CALLISTO

Do it for me? Please?

Thrown off by the manner of her asking and the incongruent, visible threat, the MERCENARIES think better of it. Reluctantly, they approach Gabrielle and take their positions.

Gabrielle is not resisting at all, completely compliant and her eyes are glazed over. One man each grabs an arm and holds it. Another grabs her legs and pins them down. The fourth MERCENARY goes to the fire and removes the glowing iron.

Callisto, unable to watch, growing sicker and more discomforted by the second

CALLISTO

Inform me when it is done.

Callisto escapes from the smithy and soon, her retching and sobbing are heard just outside the building.

The three MERCENERIES restraining Gabrielle tighten their hold as the last one pulls her upper underwraps down a little and presses the brand into the flesh at the apex of her cleavage.

Gabrielle's eyes, so recently dazed, open wide and clear with a shock of pain. Her body arches and lifts off the table. The herb and adrenaline overcome the effects of the drugs. The MERCENARIES struggling to hold her don't notice, as they are fixed on her other body parts. The MERCENARY with the tool continues to press until it burns thru the surface skin and then lifts it. Charred, faintly smoking letter C is left on the site of contact, clearly visible.

Gabrielle closes her eyes and goes completely limp, outwardly passing out. Unwisely, the MERCENARIES release her. One even starts to head for a water skin hanging on the post.

Gabrielle opens her eyes and attacks. She up kicks and connects with a chin, knocking out the MERCENARY who was holding her legs. She grabs the poker from the MERCENARY who branded her and shoves it into his face. He releases the poker and his hands go to his face as he screams in pain and staggers back. Gabrielle rolls off to that side and strikes the MERCENARY who was holding her right arm on the temple with the branding iron. He goes down, unconscious. Gabrielle then brains the screaming MERCENARY, downing him as well. She clears the table and sidekicks the MERCENARY getting water, breaking ribs. Another blow knocks him out.

Opposition taken care off, Gabrielle removes two throwing knives from her lower underwraps and sets them on the table. She finds and puts on her tunic in record time, then retrieves her weapons. Hearing rushing footsteps, she leaps and pulls herself onto the rafters where she waits in ambush.

CUT TO:

EXT. VALLEY – OVERGROWN TRAIL – MORNING

Xena dismounts on the outskirts of the tiny village and draws her sword and chakram. She takes a few steps and stops.

Theodorus and three MERCENARIES step onto the path, blocking her advance.

Theodorus, saluting with a sword

THEODORUS

Theodorus, Callisto's second.

Xena, impatiently

XENA

Walk away, Theodorus; take them with you.

Theodorus, wistfully

THEODORUS

Do you know what it is to love someone?

XENA

Yes.

The three other MERCENARIES spread out and surround Xena.

THEODORUS

Then you know I can't and they won't.

Xena, meaning it, sadly

XENA

I'm sorry.

THEODORUS

I don't regret anything.

CUT TO:

INT. CALLISTO'S CAMP – SMITHY – MORNING

Calisto rushes in with sword drawn and something heavy drops on her. Strong arms and legs wrap around her as she is taken down, losing her sword. Gabrielle smashes her head into Callisto's nose and crushes it a spray of blood.

GABRIELLE

Hello Callisto.

Callisto tries to struggle free, to no avail. She repeatedly bucks, working to toss Gabrielle off, and that fails. Desperate, she attempts wrestling, and has no luck there either. Whatever technique or martial arts Gabrielle is using to hold her down is unknown to her, but very effective. Callisto wasted a lot of energy so far and gained nothing.

Callisto turns her head and notices her sword within reach. Slowly, she sends her fingers after it, even as she distracts Gabrielle with words.

Callisto, warmly

CALLISTO

I love you, Gabrielle. You are not well and I want to help you.

Gabrielle transitions into high mount with ease, sitting on Callisto's chest. Callisto's hand creeps closer to the sword.

Gabrielle, cynically

GABRIELLE

Was that before or after the branding?

Callisto, pleading

CALLISTO

We can have it all back.

Gabrielle, coldly

GABRIELLE

There is no we, I am married to Athena. What happened to the Melas and his family?

CALLISTO

What?

Gabrielle, pressing, agitated

GABRIELLE

What happened to them, you twisted freak?

Callisto, alarmed

CALLISTO

Honey, you don't mean that.

Gabrielle, growing angry

GABRIELLE

They are everything. What did you do?

Callisto closes her fingers around the sword and as she does, Gabrielle, alerted by the shifting muscles, strikes. Expertly applying the armlock to Callisto's sword arm, she hyperextends the elbow and starts increasing the pressure on the joint; the immediate effect is the release of the weapon.

Gabrielle, deliberately, each word resulting in more pain for Callisto

GABRIELLE

What. Did. You. Do?

Callisto, admitting tearfully, whether from guilt or hurt

CALLISTO

Paralyzed; lethal dosage.

Gabrielle's eyes turn hard and she completely dislocates Callisto's elbow, ending her warlord days. Mercifully, Gabrielle then numbs Callisto's right arm with a pressure point and she stops screaming. The limb lies there, unnaturally twisted, looking gruesome. Gabrielle shifts to normal mount and looks down on Callisto.

Gabrielle, crying, wanting a reason for all this, anger gone and only sadness left

GABRIELLE

Why?

Callisto, pitifully

CALLISTO

I love you, Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE

Stop saying that! You have no right.

Callisto, hurting, her heart breaking

CALLISTO

We were happy in our woodland home. We lived and loved as one; we were a family. Ares gifted us with life.

GABRIELLE

Lies!

Callisto, sharing her grief, hoping for understanding and compassion, quietly and honestly

CALLISTO

We had an unborn son, due any day. Xena tore it out of your womb before he cried his first and made sure he didn't. She left him cold and alone under the sheets to mock me. She took you away and burned our life. Xena is the inhuman monster that murdered my family for the second time. See the truth.

Gabrielle is frozen, her mind overwhelmed with what Callisto is telling her.

Callisto, reaching out and touching Gabrielle's face, caressing the skin, lovingly

CALLISTO

Tell me you love me, honey. Tell me we will be together. Tell me we will be a family again. Tell me those things and stop our pain. I love you, Gabrielle. Come back to us.

In slow motion, appearing hypnotized, Gabrielle lifts her tunic and takes a look at her own abdomen. It is smooth and defined; there is no scar from Caesarian section. As Callisto stares at it in horror of what it implies, Gabrielle snaps out of her trance.

Gabrielle, vehemently

GABRIELLE

Lies! Lies!!! LIES!!!

Gabrielle starts raining punches on Callisto's defenseless face and head.

CUT TO:

EXT. CALLISTO'S CAMP – SMITHY - MORNING

Xena tears through the village, in increasing panic. Approaching the blacksmith, she halts when the door opens and Gabrielle steps out. There is blood on her face, tunic and hands, but she appears unharmed and moving fine, thou Xena knows her well enough to see that she is hiding pain.

Gabrielle lifts her head in time to see Xena fly to her and hug her tightly. Unbidden, she cries out her hurt and Xena instantly releases her. Hands start checking Gabrielle, even as she swats them away and quickly find the spot on her chest. There is no arguing with Xena as the tunic is lifted and the brand comes into view.

Xena, pronouncing a death sentence, rage burning in her eyes

XENA

Callisto.

Gabrielle nods affirmative.

XENA

You going to stop me?

Gabrielle shakes her head negative.

Xena starts moving to the door and a hand catches her arm.

Gabrielle, softly

GABRIELLE

She is a good person who chose wrong. Don't hold it against her.

Xena tears her arm free and steps inside. Gabrielle turns and walks away.

CUT TO:

INT. CALLISTO'S CAMP – SMITHY – MORNING

Xena smiles in satisfaction at the ruin of Callisto's body. She strides to her and kicks her hard in the ribs, breaking a few. Callisto moans and her eyes slit open, face bruised, swollen, and bloody.

Xena, picking the discarded sword with her foot and flipping it into her hand, grimly

XENA

Stay for Tartarus, bitch!

Xena drives Callisto's sword through her gut and into the ground with such force that only the handle is visible. She then starts trashing the place, breaking the furniture and piling the shelves and their contents on the floor. Xena is building a funeral pyre for Callisto.

Finished, Xena approaches Callisto again. She takes a few deep breaths to center herself and regain control.

Xena, crouching next to Callisto and putting a dagger to her throat, savagely

XENA

I love Gabrielle but her bleeding heart will be the end of her. I was right to kill you the first time.

Pause.

Xena, with difficulty, showing mercy yet unable to offer it fully and unconditionally

XENA

Beg.

Pinned and broken, Callisto does the unexpected.

Callisto, reaching out with her good arm and touching Xena's leg, simply

CALLISTO

Thank you.

And with that gesture, Callisto gives lie to Xena's actions and words. Unable to stand or face it, Xena rises and flees the room.

CUT TO:

EXT. CALLISTO'S CAMP – SMITHY – MORNING

Xena steps outside to the sight of Gabrielle waiting for her, lit torch in hand. She extends her hand, expecting to have it handed to her. It does not happen.

Gabrielle, somberly

GABRIELLE

Not this time.

Xena, closing the distance and ending in front of Gabrielle, sternly

XENA

It is not your choice.

GABRIELLE

Remember: one for two and two for one.

Xena starts to move away and Gabrielle readies the torch. Faster than she can react, Xena applies the pinch to the bard's neck and takes the torch from her. She tosses it inside and removes the pinch from Gabrielle.

Xena moves behind Gabrielle and gathers her in an embrace, keeping her arms low. She rests her head on Gabrielle's and they both watch as the flames grow and start to consume the building. When the screams start, Xena tightens the hold.

Xena, devotedly

XENA

I love you and I will not let you tarnish your soul.

Xena's hands are overlapped on bard's waist and Gabrielle covers them, the answer more eloquent and meaningful than mere words can convey.

CUT TO:

INT. CALLISTO'S CAMP – SMITHY – MORNING

The smoke makes it hard to see and breathe. Callisto's hoarse yells turn into coughs. To her lung's relief, the smoke thins out and Ares appears.

Ares, sarcastically

ARES

You looked better.

Callisto, laughing and coughing blood

CALLISTO

Terribly sorry, got a death to attend. Mine.

ARES

Who is strong, Callisto?

Callisto, mocking him

CALLISTO

Can I scream and burn to death now? Pretty please with Olympus on top?

ARES

I know what you want and I won't give it you.

Callisto, spitting out, enraged

CALLISTO

Bast…!

Callisto vanishes mid-word and thick smoke swirls into and fills the void she left in her disappearance. Only the sword that was in her remains, the crimson-stained blade giving silent testimony to the events prior.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP - NIGHT

Xena lies on her side, observing the married couple across the fire.

Gabrielle sits on the bedroll in her underwraps, the burn covered by bandages. Athena kneels in front of her, dressed in same.

Athena, trying to lift Gabrielle's despondent mood, meaningfully

ATHENA

Say a word and it is gone.

Gabrielle, down on self, dispiritedly

GABRIELLE

Love, the wound goes deeper than burned flesh.

Athena positions for a kiss and Gabrielle moves her head. She does not turn her face completely away, just enough to avoid contact. Still, the action visibly upsets Athena.

Athena, desperate for connection, reaches out and takes Gabrielle hands and kisses them instead. Gabrielle does not resist and Athena holds them in hers.

Athena, trying to get thru, asking to be let in, emotionally

ATHENA

When you hurt, I hurt.

GABRIELLE

I know that.

Pause.

Gabrielle, bitterly

GABRIELLE

I am branded.

Athena, immediately and warmly

ATHENA

I don't care.

That finally gets Gabrielle's attention and her eyes find and lock on Athena's.

GABRIELLE

Do you still want me?

Athena, no doubt, only want in her tone

ATHENA

Yes.

Gabrielle leans in, closing the distance.

GABRIELLE

Do you desire me?

ATHENA

I need you.

They kiss, a small, sweet meeting of lips filled with love and promise. Reassured, Gabrielle lies down in the bedroll.

Gabrielle, vulnerable

GABRIELLE

Love me.

Athena, concerned

ATHENA

The wound …?

GABRIELLE

It's only pain.

ATHENA

Are you sure?

Gabrielle, whispering her wish

GABRIELLE

Make me forget. Make me remember.

Athena lies on top of Gabrielle, supporting her upper body on her forearms and Gabrielle's arms go around the Goddess, pulling them close.

Athena, looking down at her wife, affectionately

ATHENA

I love you, beautiful.

Gabrielle, looking up and into Athena, amorously

GABRIELLE

I love you too. Make me yours.

Their lips meet.

CUT TO:

EXT. DREAMSCAPE – MORPHEUS' PALACE – LIGHT

Under an open sky, rising out of the ever present fog, stands the symbol of Morpheus' power. Marble, decorated columns form a solid rectangle. They march in rows of two, covered on top. The space between then, in the outside row, are filled with sheer white fabric, fluttering in the invisible breeze. Despite their size, the feeling of space and ethereality is conveyed to any observer or visitor quite clearly.

Fitting the theme, the chair is four marble columns, covered by a square of same, with two more columns in the back and a backing with a curve to it. There are no arm rests and the whole looks to be sculptured out of a single block. On the throne sits Zeus, highest of the Gods.

Morpheus arrives and heads for his seat, only to stop and step back upon noticing the identity of the occupant. This is not a social visit; this is trouble.

Zeus, voice booming in the open space, accusing

ZEUS

Gabrielle, my daughter-in-law, is family. When you attacked my family, you attacked me.

Morpheus falls to his knees as Zeus rises and approaches him.

Morpheus, cowering, cravenly begging

MORPHEUS

O wise and merciful Zeus, I plead for leniency.

ZEUS

You attack me again and I will make the fate of the Titans seem like Elysium. Do you understand, Morpheus?

Morpheus, terrified, chokes out

MORPHEUS

Y-Y-Yes.

Zeus, gravely

ZEUS

No one is above me, no one questions me, and no one challenges me.

Zeus turns and disintegrates Morpheus' throne with a single lightning bolt.

ZEUS

Forget that at your peril.

Zeus vanishes.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP - NIGHT

In deference to Gabrielle's wound, Athena's head is in the nook of bard's shoulder and her right arm is thrown over her stomach. The Goddess lies on her side, snuggled to Gabrielle.

Slowly, Athena's right hand lifts and moves higher, over the bandages. It pauses there and starts glowing. The Goddess' eyes watch Gabrielle's face for reaction, and find none. The golden light intensifies and then goes out. The bandages vanish with it, leaving unmarked skin. The brand is gone.

Athena crawls on top of Gabrielle, back to their usual sleeping arrangement and Gabrielle adjusts to it without waking up. Athena rests her cheek on Gabrielle's chest with a sigh of contentment and turns to plant a small kiss.

Gabrielle, murmuring sleepily

GABRIELLE

Love you.

Athena lifts her head and looks at Gabrielle's face. Gabrielle is asleep, her breathing regular. There is no sign she is awake. Athena smiles at the automatic response.

Athena, sinking back into the comfort of the body below her, lovingly

ATHENA

I love you too, beautiful.

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page