Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Red Solstice ”

Episode 39

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – EARLY MORNING

Xena comes over join Athena by the fire, the Goddess lost in Gabrielle's scroll. She sits next to her on the log and gently places a hand on Athena's forearm. It breaks the enchanting spell the words have woven and Athena turns questioningly to Xena.

Xena, hesitantly

XENA

Good time?

Athena, patting the hand resting on her forearm, attentively

ATHENA

I'm listening.

Xena, shyly

XENA

Athena?

ATHENA

Yes?

Xena tries to remove her hand and Athena covers it, trapping her. Xena gives her a weak smile, acknowledging the fact that she is caught and not going anywhere.

Xena, plunging ahead, bravely

XENA

I want to buy a gift for summer solstice.

Athena, laughing

ATHENA

You picked the second worst person to ask.

XENA

Who is the first?

Athena, smiling

ATHENA

My beautiful wife, who as you know decorates our home with her hunting trophies. There are more dead animals in the house than live ones in the forest.

Xena, shuddering

XENA

I noticed, felt like they were watching and judging me when I was recovering.

ATHENA

So, who is the gift for?

Xena, timidly

XENA

… Gabrielle.

ATHENA

You buy her a blade and you will regret it. I will make certain.

XENA

Not what I had in mind but understood. Can you help?

Athena, thoughtfully

ATHENA

Hmm … let's see.

Pause.

Athena, lost in memories for a time, her face lighting up when the answer arrives

ATHENA

… They were poor and money was tight. Gabrielle saved for over a year and then one summer festival she bought her first toy. This was when she was ten and she told me how happy she was.

XENA

What happened to it?

Athena, her voice showing how the action touched her, affectionately

ATHENA

She brought it home and showed it to Lila. Then she gave it to her daughter because Lila's joy meant everything to her.

Xena, expecting it but still caught by surprise, exclaiming

XENA

She just gave it away?! All that sacrifice and anticipation – handed over without a second thought?

Athena, beaming with pride

ATHENA

Her first and only real toy. She cried and told me how much it hurt but she did it anyway; it is who she is.

XENA

What was it?

ATHENA

A carved, wooden lamb; you pull the tail and the mouth opens.

Xena, unsure, hesitantly

XENA

I am not sure … it is very personal.

ATHENA

You cared enough to ask; you cannot back out now.

XENA

Watch me run like the big chicken I am.

ATHENA

You will do the right thing.

Pause.

Athena, inquiring delicately

ATHENA

Can I ask why?

She is surprised by the outpouring of emotion and the silent tears.

ATHENA

Please, don't cry.

Athena hugs Xena and pulls her close. Their heads touch.

Athena, comforting

ATHENA

Shh, what's wrong?

Xena, choking out, voice thick with emotion

XENA

She washed, changed, and fed me for weeks. I have not told her what it meant; she must think I take her for granted. I … I want … need to show her my …

ATHENA

Love? She returns it.

Pause.

Athena, seeing Xena not convinced, tries again, softly

ATHENA

Xena, she does not expect anything from you; you know that.

Xena, stubbornly

XENA

Gabrielle believes in and loves Hope. She deserves something tangible.

Pause.

Xena, abruptly, confessing

XENA

She gave me a love poem.

ATHENA

We talked about it. Relax; no secrets and I trust her.

Xena, urgently

XENA

Athena, I have to do this: offer her a gift.

Athena, wisely

ATHENA

Then do. And make sure you earn every last drachma used to buy it.

XENA

That is a whole lot of massages.

ATHENA

We are going to enjoy pampering.

XENA

Hedonists.

Athena, giggling

ATHENA

Happy wife, happy life.

Xena, grumpily

XENA

I have to sleep through your frequent happy time. Either of you get any happier, I will end you.

This only makes the Goddess giddier. She releases Xena and begins to dance around the fire.

Gabrielle arrives and immediately drops everything. She sets a new speed record for tossing the armor and once done, gives chase after her wife. They run around the camp, screaming, wrestling, and generally playing around like a couple of children. The objective of the game seems to be undressing the opponent, thou in Gabrielle and Athena's case, this is a win-win situation and there are no losers. Well, one.

Gabrielle emerges from the tangle of limbs, triumphantly raising Athena's shoe to the heavens. She then takes off, the Goddess in hot pursuit, hampered significantly by one bare foot.

Xena groans, and puts her head down in defeat; her stomach growls loudly in commiseration - breakfast will be late again.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – EARLY EVENING

Xena sits on the log, munching on an apple and ignoring the dirty looks she gets from Argo. Gabrielle is by the fire, cooking. Satisfied with the progress, she leaves the soup pot to simmer and crouches in front of the fire, looking across it at Xena.

GABRIELLE

Xena, do you like a challenge?

Xena, teasing

XENA

Does getting enough rest with your constant marital relations qualify?

Gabrielle, somberly

GABRIELLE

Athena craves reassurance and I … need her that way.

Xena, dropping the joking, sympathetically

XENA

It still hurts, doesn't it?

GABRIELLE

… I am whole yet the wound remains.

Xena, carefully

XENA

Callisto's end or … other.

Gabrielle, disconsolate, giving voice to the turmoil within

GABRIELLE

Both.

Xena throws the apple core in a perfect arc and Argo snatches it out of the air, contently devouring her prize. Gabrielle shakes her head at their antics and Xena beams like the proud parent of a child. A small smile peeks through the clouds of Gabrielle's sadness.

Xena has accomplished her immediate mission of cheering Gabrielle up and now she gives thought to her feelings.

Xena, sincerely and earnestly, meaning every word

XENA

Gabrielle, you were right to give her a second chance. Callisto received nothing but love and compassion from you and she repaid you with evil. That is on her, not you. You are beautiful inside and out. No mark can burn deep enough to scar your light. You know what I love about you above anything?

Gabrielle, shyly

GABRIELLE

What?

XENA

Your heart - you broke Callisto and stopped.

Gabrielle, tearfully

GABRIELLE

I could not do it, it was not in me.

Xena, gently

XENA

I know. Come here.

Xena drops down from the log and sits with her back to it. Gabrielle scrambles and positions between her legs, using Xena as a back rest. Strong arms draw Gabrielle close and she settles in with a sigh of contentment.

Xena, Hephaestus' metal not exactly comfortable on her, grumpily

XENA

It's more fun with no armor.

GABRIELLE

For you.

XENA

Of course.

GABRIELLE

Here I thought you were thinking of me.

Xena, suggestively

XENA

Oh, I am.

Gabrielle, laughing

GABRIELLE

We need to find you a nice boy or girl.

XENA

Don't want.

GABRIELLE

But definitely need.

XENA

Warriors have discipline.

GABRIELLE

Is that what you call alone, special time? I bet discipline and you know each other rather well.

XENA

You didn't …

Gabrielle, simply

GABRIELLE

I respect your privacy. Whenever I found you … involved, I gave you space.

XENA

I'm disappointed. Why not the reverse?

GABRIELLE

I don't.

Xena, disbelieving

XENA

Not even once?!

GABRIELLE

No.

XENA

Would you?

Gabrielle, quietly

GABRIELLE

If Athena asked, yes.

Xena, suddenly needing to know, urgently

XENA

Anything?

Gabrielle, trying to make Xena see and reassure her at the same time, warmly

GABRIELLE

Love is giving.

Xena, before she can stop herself, blurting out

XENA

I wish I could have that with you.

Gabrielle, loaded with meaning, worry showing

GABRIELLE

Is what we have not enough?

Xena, drawing Gabrielle closer and resting her head against the bard's, happy

XENA

It's perfect.

Pause.

Xena, out of nowhere, adding bitterly

XENA

More than I deserve.

Gabrielle, pushing her own head into closer contact, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Xena, we love you. You earned hate in your warlord years and receive love now. Both are deserved. Which one you rather have?

Xena, emotionally

XENA

You, Athena, our families … our one family.

Pause.

XENA

I deserve this?

Gabrielle, with conviction, strongly and without hesitation

GABRIELLE

Yes.

XENA

Thank you.

Xena, done sharing and satisfied with her place in the world, decides to return to the original question.

Xena, rocking Gabrielle playfully, grinning

XENA

Okay, I will bite. Dangle your worm, fisherwoman.

GABRIELLE

Silvas the Red.

Xena, immediately

XENA

No thanks.

Gabrielle, puzzled

GABRIELLE

Huh?

Xena, patiently elaborating

XENA

Seven foot tall demigod warlord, undefeated in single combat; known for his signature war hammer which turns opponents into stains. Gabrielle, the only way we are taking down that madman is from a distance and chakram is a one shot weapon. It will likely take your arrows to bring him down and I am not putting more blood on your conscience.

Gabrielle, stubbornly

GABRIELLE

Three villages ahead cry under his foot. Word is Hercules is not eager to visit, something about Silvas being Zeus' offspring and Ares' disciple. It falls to us.

Xena, losing the argument, resigned

XENA

What have you heard in the tavern?

Gabrielle, off to the races, excitedly

GABRIELLE

He lives in a stone keep and never leaves; only slaves are allowed inside. Silvas has a dozen men at most, his reputation suffices. No one knows if they are there as his jailers or enforcers. There are strange and conflicting stories circulating, ranging from imprisonment by the Gods and curse from the Fates, to fantastic tales of him turned into a monster feeding on human flesh.

XENA

Bards should not be allowed to imbibe.

Gabrielle, cheekily

GABRIELLE

That is where the inspiration for our best stories comes from.

Xena, pointedly

XENA

I rest my case on Silvas the cannibal.

GABRIELLE

You win. Wife is here; give me a hand.

Xena releases her hold and Gabrielle sits up. Xena starts removing the blood armor as Athena appears.

Xena, to Athena, busy with the straps and buckles

XENA

Say when.

Athena, to Gabrielle, hungry

ATHENA

I want everything off.

Xena, smugly

XENA

I win again.

Gabrielle, rolling her eyes

GABRIELLE

I created a monster.

Gabrielle stands up, free from her armor, still in her tunic. Athena picks up the linen squares and soap and takes off for the stream. Gabrielle takes off her boots and gives chase.

Xena checks to ensure they are gone, then sets the armor aside and makes for the pot of soup. She lifts the lid, producing a spoon and begins to eat, making sure to blow on the hot liquid first.

Xena, murmuring appreciatively between sips

XENA

Elysium.

CUT TO:

EXT. VILLAGE – ROAD – EARLY MORNING

Two life-size statues greet visitors. In the distance, a larger one, easily triple those, stands in the square. Silvas the Red is a severe man, muscular and clad in armor, with a fierce expression. The monuments do not celebrate his presence; they instill fear into those living in their shadow.

Two standard THUGS lounge near the pair of statues. Their leather armor is dyed red, signifying their allegiance.

Xena and Gabrielle approach them, Argo tailing behind on lead rope.

Gabrielle, reading Xena's posture and the tension in her, impishly

GABRIELLE

Go ahead, you know you want to. All yours.

Xena, relaxing, smile coaxed into rising

XENA

You give the best presents.

THUG, moving into the middle of the road, self-importantly, fooled by Xena's smile

THUG

This road belongs to Silvas the Red …

Sentence unfinished, the THUG screams as he is lifted above Xena's head. The distress has less to do with his position or possible, likely tragic fate. It is where Xena has grabbed the THUG before the overhead press. His moment of agony takes a break with his flight towards the statue and then returns with a vengeance as he crashes into it and beheads stone art the hard way. Gabrielle and the nearby VILLAGERS wince at the bone crushing impact.

The other THUG turns and runs away blindly, right into the second statue at full speed. Bouncing off, he crumbles unconscious below it. Unfortunately for him, the impact causes the said statue to become unstable and it falls on him. VILLAGERS gasp and Gabrielle looks at Xena reproachfully. Xena shrugs, this one not being her fault.

Xena, turning away from Gabrielle, addressing the gathering VILLAGERS, grandly

XENA

You are free. I am Xena.

The VILLAGERS scatter and are gone in seconds, leaving dust behind them.

Xena, looking around, miffed

XENA

What?!

Gabrielle whistles innocently, making it a point to avoid looking at Xena.

XENA

Don't. Say. It. And stop whistling.

Gabrielle motions with her head at the bushes to the right of the road. Xena swiftly pivots and dives into them. She comes out holding a BOY of twelve. He is not resisting, eyes grown wide with fear.

BOY, terrified

BOY

Are you our new warlord?

Xena releases him instantly, look of horror on her face; she starts to back away from him. Then Gabrielle is next to her, touching her elbow, lending her strength.

Gabrielle, whispering to Xena, calming

GABRIELLE

He is a child, he does not know you the way I and others do. You are a good person and a hero. Believe in that.

Gabrielle breaks off contact and moves to front of the BOY, who watches this entire exchange with confusion. The bard kneels in front of the BOY.

Gabrielle, friendly

GABRIELLE

I am Gabrielle. Xena is my best friend and we are heroes, here to defeat Silvas the Red.

BOY, unconvinced

BOY

If you are good, why is your armor the color of blood?

Gabrielle, with sorrow

GABRIELLE

They say I went to a village named Locia and did a bad thing, hurt a lot of adults and children. My punishment is for people to see the sin.

BOY, gesturing in Xena's direction

BOY

And her?

Gabrielle, to BOY, dropping her voice and leaning in, conspiratorially

GABRIELLE

Xena says she likes black. If you ask me, she does it because she does not have a fashion sense.

XENA

I heard that.

Gabrielle, to Xena, triumphantly

GABRIELLE

You did not dispute the statement. I win.

BOY

You are funny.

Gabrielle, to BOY

GABRIELLE

And you are …?

BOY, proudly

BOY

Lynal. I am twelve and almost a man. Since father died, I have to be strong for my mother, Melana.

Gabrielle looks him right in the eyes and reads him. He blinks, disoriented for a moment. He stares at her confused, not knowing what just happened.

Gabrielle, persuasively

GABRIELLE

Can you take us to her? We can help around the farm and we have food.

Lynal, taken with the bard, makes the easy choice, bashfully

LYNAL

This way.

Lynal sets off and Xena, Gabrielle, and Argo follow him.

Xena, grinning

XENA

Another heart stolen.

GABRIELLE

I know where you sleep.

CUT TO:

EXT. FARM – HOUSE – EVENING

Xena is by the well, filling the last of the buckets. Her hair is damp and she sports a clean tunic. Soap, fresh bard-sized tunic, and drying cloth complete the picture.

In contrast, the newly arrived Gabrielle is sweaty and grimy, covered in evidence of hard day's work. She is fully armed and in her leather armor. She removes and places few pheasants and rabbits on the grass, tied together with leather strips.

Xena, amazed that Gabrielle went hunting after all the chores they did today

XENA

Where do you get the energy?

Gabrielle starts making another pile for weapons and armor.

GABRIELLE

You are only twenty six.

Xena, getting the look in her eyes that signifies she is plotting something

XENA

Twenty six in warlord years.

Gabrielle, not sure where this is going

GABRIELLE

And …?

XENA

Exactly.

Gabrielle's boots are followed by the tunic and trousers, leaving her in her underwraps. She steps next to Xena.

Gabrielle, working thru Xena's answer and finding it making no sense

GABRIELLE

Wait, what?

Xena grabs the bucket and slowly pours the liquid over Gabrielle. The bard melts with relief, relishing the cool water washing away the gunk. She forgets about the warning signs and luxuriates in the comfort.

Xena, taking advantage of the distraction, springing the trap, merrily

XENA

Remember to wash behind the ears. Athena sure likes to kiss and nibble them.

Xena crowns her victory by placing the bucket on Gabrielle's head in a waterfall of its remaining contents.

Gabrielle, caught off guard, lifting the bucket and sputtering indignantly

GABRIELLE

You … you …

Xena grabs the game from the ground and runs away laughing; she ducks inside the house. The door opens after a few seconds and Xena sticks her head out.

Xena, impishly

XENA

I win.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. HOUSE – KITCHEN – LATE EVENING

Xena and Gabrielle eagerly eye Melana's work as she piles their plates high with meat and vegetables. Soon enough, those end up in front of them, along with bread. Melana correctly judges by their ensuing, ravenous behavior that she will have to carry the entire conversation for a while.

Melana, eating at a more sedate pace, conversationally

MELANA

I want to thank you once again for everything: repairs, food, and help with the children. My husband and his so-called friends got it into their heads to march on the keep. Turns out, they betrayed him and he was executed as a warning to others, right in the front of that forsaken statue in the square. The two monsters you injured earlier dragged me out there and made me watch. Thank Zeus they left the children alone. Those traitors were there too; none looked me in the eye.

Melana starts crying and Gabrielle hastily swallows the latest bite and starts to get up but Melana shakes her head.

Melana, collecting herself, apologetically

MELANA

Please, eat. I will be okay.

Gabrielle, compassionately

GABRIELLE

I'm sorry about your husband, he sounds like a good man who died trying to do the right thing.

Xena, jumping in, starting off with complement on the food

XENA

This beats tavern fare, nothing like homemade.

This earns Xena a smile of gratitude from Melana.

XENA

How big is his army?

MELANA

Silvas keeps couple men in each village and seven more in the keep. We do what we are told because we remember the fate of those villages that resisted him. There were five here when Silvas first arrived. He personally annihilated them and left the dead where they lay. We have seen little of him since that day, then nothing. No one has laid eyes on him in years. We prayed to the Gods for justice; I think they listened. I hope he is in Tartarus.

Gabrielle, gravely

GABRIELLE

If he suffers his sentence or lives, what should we do?

Melana, surprised

MELANA

You asking me?

GABRIELLE

Yes.

Melana, angry

MELANA

Kill him.

Xena, warning Melana, who does not understand the way Gabrielle does things

XENA

Melana, think on this. Gabrielle is giving you a choice. Trust me: this is not something you want to decide lightly.

Melana, hurting

MELANA

I want his life for the one he took!

Xena takes off the gloves.

Xena, leaning forward, trapping Melana in her gaze, coldly

XENA

You see the red armor on Gabrielle when we first arrived?

MELANA

Yes?

XENA

Did you know the blood is real?

Melana, uncomfortable with the question and tone, trying to look away without success

MELANA

… No.

Xena, raising her voice, in full intimidation mode

XENA

Do you know why?

Melana, trembling

MELANA

You are scaring me.

XENA

Good.

Xena leaps out of her seat and shoves her hands into Melana face. The poor woman flinches and turns pale with fear. Gabrielle observes without interfering.

Xena, yelling in Melana's face

XENA

You blind fool! You get blood on your hands, it stays there. It stains everything you touch; it stigmatizes your family, marks your children. It does not wash OFF!!!

Young, sleepy boys' voices and a sound of little girl crying reach them past the closed door, followed by the soothing tones of Athena.

Gabrielle, placing a restraining arm on Xena's shoulder, pushing her back into her seat

GABRIELLE

Xena, children.

Xena, deeply upset, shoves her chair violently from the table and walks to the door. Gabrielle, running after her, grabs her in a hug from behind and holds her fast. Xena's hand drops from the handle she was about to turn and sobs shake her.

Xena, crying, giving voice to the guilt within

XENA

I branded you.

Gabrielle, pressing her cheek to the heaving back, lending comfort, tenderly

GABRIELLE

I love you, I am with you, and I am not going away.

It takes a while for Melana to work the courage to intrude on them.

Melana, touching Gabrielle's arm, shaken with the display of raw emotion

MELANA

Gods forgive me, I am sorry. I know not of this Xena the hero, only the warlord of the past. Yet even this blind fool can see that the woman here with us is different.

Gabrielle, turning her head, her eyes wet with tears

GABRIELLE

Melana, we need to talk after dinner. Xena will tidy up the kitchen while my wife continues to watch the children.

Melana nods and returns to her meal. Gabrielle steers Xena back to the table and they resume their dinner, although much subdued.

CUT TO:

EXT. FARM – HOUSE – NIGHT

Gabrielle and Athena are lying on the grass outside, watching the stars. The bard has her head on Goddess' stomach. Athena is playing idly with Gabrielle's hair.

Gabrielle, turning her head and kissing the abdomen through the fabric

GABRIELLE

Could you carry a child?

ATHENA

Yes.

GABRIELLE

Who will be the father?

Athena, smiling

ATHENA

You, love.

GABRIELLE

Do I want to know the details?

Athena, sensually, voice promising carnal delights

ATHENA

You will like the details.

GABRIELLE

Mhm. Will it be ours?

ATHENA

Exactly the same as if you had one with a man, of us and no other.

GABRIELLE

And you okay with that?

Athena, softly

ATHENA

I did not think about being a mother before. There are things missing from my life. If you let me, I want to experience them with you.

Athena brings the right hand up and kisses her own fingers. She then places them on Gabrielle's lips, kissing her by proxy.

Gabrielle, kissing the fingers and then the palm of her wife, lovingly

GABRIELLE

So would I. I love you.

Athena, returning the feelings

ATHENA

I love you too.

Comfortable silence descends for a while. Gabrielle massages Athena's hand as they continue to watch the stars.

Gabrielle, picking up where she left off

GABRIELLE

You accepted Lila. What about Solan?

Athena, wanting Gabrielle to stop hedging and just say what is on her mind

ATHENA

I will love him like my own. Gabrielle, are you planning on leaving me behind, pregnant and surrounded by children while you are off adventuring with Xena?

GABRIELLE

That's the idea.

ATHENA

Yes.

Gabrielle, asking what she wanted all along

GABRIELLE

Come with us.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

Xena is my best friend but you are my wife. You are right and I want to share the adventure with you occasionally.

ATHENA

Do you take long lunches?

GABRIELLE

I don't think Xena's discipline could survive that.

ATHENA

Yes.

Gabrielle, purring

GABRIELE

Keep saying yes.

Athena, playfully

ATHENA

Yes, yes, yes.

Gabrielle rolls off Athena and comes up on all fours beside her.

Gabrielle, looking down at Athena, grinning wolfishly

GABRIELLE

If you only knew what you just agreed to …

Athena, as Gabrielle's lips and body descend on hers, whispering

ATHENA

Oh Gabrielle, yes, yes, y…

And then Gabrielle takes her breath away and speech and thought abandon the Goddess.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. SILVAS THE RED'S KEEP – BACK WALL – 1 DAY LATER/NIGHT

The wooden palisade is laughably short and poorly maintained. It is a wonder the structure has not collapsed yet from lack of maintenance.

Xena throws the rope with hook and it latches onto a wooden, sharpened trunk. She pulls hard on the rope to test the security of the purchase and the whole thing comes out and slides down the slope, narrowly missing them.

Gabrielle, giggling

GABRIELLE

My hero can tear the castle walls with her bare hands.

ATHENA

My hero can leap the castle walls with a single step.

Xena, irritated

XENA

Shush you.

Xena goes for the second trunk and it too joins its brother. She curses and tries the third one; it meets the same fate.

The merriment is quickly escalating, with Athena and Gabrielle laughing so hard that tears are visible.

Xena, judging the opening sufficient, signals a charge up the hill. Unfortunately, the earthen embankment, weakened by removal of three supports, breaks off partially and Xena, Gabrielle and Athena are carried down a river of dirt in an undignified manner.

Gabrielle and Athena are howling with barely suppressed laughter as they crawl and trip over each other and Xena. Seeing this, Xena admits temporary defeat in the face of such determined foe and joins them in their amusement.

CUT TO:

EXT. SILVAS THE RED'S KEEP – BARRACKS – NIGHT

The inside of the keep is crowded. The stone keep takes most of the space. There is the stable, smithy, kitchen, and slave and soldiers barracks.

Xena comes to the last, dragging a THUG. She is joined by Gabrielle bringing another THUG. Athena meets them there and starts tying up the unconscious men.

GABRIELLE

Plan?

XENA

Athena, when you done here and inside, go free the slaves and let them out the front gate. Gabrielle and I will entertain the guards and pay Silvas a visit. If he decides to fight, this will get bloody. We lure him outside and Gabrielle puts arrows in him till he stops moving.

Athena and Gabrielle nod acknowledgement and the Goddess grabs and squeezes her wife's hand in silent support. The bard parts from her and Xena and Gabrielle open the door to the soldiers' barracks and silently slip inside.

CUT TO:

INT. SILVAS THE RED'S KEEP – HALLWAY – NIGHT

Xena and Gabrielle creep down the long corridor, past many closed door. Strange chewing and slurping sounds emanate from the partially ajar double door ahead of them. On silent signal, in coordinated motion, Xena and Gabrielle open each half and charge inside, swords drawn.

The room is well lit. In the center of it, bowls and plates of food are set on the ground. That is not what draws their eyes. Instead, it is Silvas the Red.

Gone is the warrior of infamy. In his place is a morbidly obese man sitting on a pile of straw, right behind the food. The only thing he wears is a single large sheet that covers him below the belt.

Xena and Gabrielle look at each other, astonished and then sheath their weapons in unison. They look visibly relieved to find a human, not a monster. Silvas ignores them, gorging himself on the feast spread out for him.

Xena, sarcastically

XENA

Silvas the Red is certainly larger than legend.

Gabrielle, channeling her built up nervous tension into humor, ribbing Xena

GABRIELLE

I remember a certain Warrior Princess passing chunky on her third helping of pastries and heading for “By the Gods, someone hitch a team of horses!” fate.

XENA

Uncalled for!

GABRIELLE

Hee.

Xena, wickedly

XENA

Laugh it up, bard. When, and you will, grow heavy with a child, I will be there. I won't say anything; I will look over your bloated body meaningfully and smile mysteriously. And you will know why.

GABRIELLE

That's … that's … evil.

XENA

Ha.

CUT TO:

INT. SILVAS THE RED'S KEEP – HALLWAY – NIGHT

Xena and Athena are having a council outside the main hall, out of range of Silvas' hearing. Gabrielle walks out of room and joins them. She looks expectantly at each, waiting for an opinion.

XENA

I feel nothing but pity for the man. However, the past cannot be buried under mounds of excess; he has to answer for his crimes. He dies; I will make it quick and painless.

Athena, unsure of her role in this, wearily

ATHENA

He did not stop. He sucked the land and the people dry to feed his appetites, just in a different way. I don't want to judge, but I think Xena is right: mercy killing puts an end to the suffering of all parties.

Xena and Athena look at Gabrielle. Gabrielle, wisely

GABRIELLE

We can execute warlord Silvas - that is easy. No, we must destroy Silvas the Red, once and for all.

XENA

This is the bard thing?

ATHENA

Of course, shatter the legend.

GABRIELLE

We take him back to the village and turn him over to the very people he oppressed, terrorized, and exploited. Send word to the other two. Plan?

Xena, working things out loud, running thru scenarios

XENA

Diet is out, take months and last thing we need is mobile Silvas. He is trapped inside the room so we have to breach the wall. Siege engine might work, but it could kill him. Athena can't use her powers and with the stone thickest in there, manual labor is out. We need fast, accurate, and safe …

Pause.

Xena, her face lighting up, idea bursting forth

GABRIELLE

Gabrielle, you are a carpenter. Can you make a massive stand for a weight suspended from the top?

GABRIELLE

How heavy?

Xena, thoughtfully

XENA

Hmm, say kitchen cauldron filled solid with melted metal.

Gabrielle, confidently

GABRIELLE

You will have it by sunset.

Athena, happy to be part of the team, throwing in her contribution

ATHENA

I will organize the freed villagers, prepare the prisoners for transport, and scour the keep of any provisions and valuables. Messenger will be sent as well. You two do your thing.

Gabrielle embraces Athena and gives her a searing kiss.

GABRIELLE

You are the best.

Gabrielle then goes to Xena and gives her a hug.

GABRIELLE

You are my hero.

CUT TO:

EXT. SILVAS THE RED'S KEEP – STONE KEEP – LATE AFTERNOON

A tripod of enormous tree trunks stands near the east wall of the stone structure. They meet at the top and are bound together with rope and metal fastenings. A pulley is suspended from the top and a rope hangs down both sides. One end goes off at an angle and is securely tied down. On the second, a large soup cauldron hangs freely, swaying a little on the breeze. The round container has handles attached with solid rivets around the outside, near the top.

Xena ties a rope, which runs from the handle to the harness on the donkey. She signals Gabrielle, who is standing in front of the animal, lead rope in hand.

Gabrielle, giving a little tug, patiently

GABRIELLE

Come on, Tobias, time to work.

Xena, alarm bells going off in her head, threateningly

XENA

Just because you named the smelly beast does not mean we are keeping him.

Gabrielle, pleadingly

GABRIELLE

He was lonely in the stables.

XENA

No.

Gabrielle, throwing in puppy eyes, sweetly

GABRIELLE

Please?

Xena, resolve crumbling to dust, throwing in a provision they both know is useless

XENA

All right, since Argo refuses to help with the wrecking ball and probably won't pull Silvas to town, he can stay. Temporarily; then he finds a new home and not with us.

Gabrielle hugs and pets Tobias; she won.

Gabrielle, to Tobias, warmly

GABRIELLE

See, I told you: she likes you. She just has to get to know you.

In the background, Argo neighs and it sounds almost like a laugh. Xena gives her horse a pointed look and aptly chastised, Argo finds some grass to occupy her attention.

CUT TO:

EXT. SILVAS THE RED'S KEEP – STONE KEEP – LATE AFTERNOON

The cast iron cauldron is pulled back a ways. Suddenly, it is released and it heads for the wall with the force of its full, iron belly. The wrecking ball and the stone wall meet and there is only one winner. In an explosion of rock and dust, the solid ball punches thru the wall with an incredibly vivid sound and visceral impact. It swings back out and then does the pendulum thing, slowing with each pass. The important thing is that the opening is big enough to remove Silvas from his prison. In celebration of that fact, cheers erupt from the former keep SLAVES watching the spectacle.

CUT TO:

EXT. SILVAS THE RED'S KEEP – STONE KEEP – MORNING

Tobias stands hitched to a cart with its sides removed. Blanket covers his back, protecting it from the harness. A massive war hammer is attached to one side and a clay pot filled with red dye hangs on the other.

Silvas the Red stares morosely about him. He is tied to the cart with rope; that is more for his safety since his bulk prevents movement. Thankfully, he is covered with sheets.

Gabrielle busies about the cart, checking the knots and sneaking a carrot to Tobias. In the course of her inspection she offers Silvas a waterskin and he takes it gratefully.

Before they can speak, Xena joins them.

GABRIELLE

What's with the henna?

XENA

You want a spectacle, you get it.

Gabrielle, gloomily

GABRIELLE

Xena, I want him to live. I want him to return to normal and be redeemed. That is what I want and it is not going to happen. Sadly, he has a black heart and black soul. Worse, there is little good left in him. He has not learned a thing and if restored he will return to his old ways. Truth is, he will die and it hurts.

Gabrielle walks away, her shoulders drooping and her heart heavy. Xena waits till the bard is out of hearing range and then rounds on Silvas.

Xena, promising darkly

XENA

You will pay for that.

CUT TO:

EXT. MELANA'S FARM – HOUSE – 2 DAYS LATER/EARLY MORNING

Another procession stands assembled, ready to depart; led by Tobias, followed by cart and guarded by Xena on Argo. The children are inside the house, strictly forbidden to go outside. Athena holds weepy Gabrielle tightly.

Silvas the Red is truly that. Red dye has turned his skin and hair into his signature color. There is no shred of cloth to be found. He sprawls in the cart, resigned to his fate.

Melana comes out of the house and heads to Xena.

Melana, tearfully, forgiving

MELANA

Show mercy.

She turns around and moves to Gabrielle and Athena, who draw her into a group hug.

CUT TO:

EXT. VILLAGE – VILLAGE SQUARE – MORNING

The large square is lined with VILLAGERS, young and old, both genders. They fill the spaces between the buildings; looking back in all directions is a solid mass of humanity. Only the road is open and most of the inner square.

Xena arrives in the center of the square and dismounts. She removes the rope with the hook from the saddle and takes a few steps forward. Xena spins the hook at the end of the rope and lets it fly. It curves around the neck of the statue and wraps itself. Xena sets her feet and pulls. As the stunned villagers watch, the stone statue of Silvas the Red comes crashing to the ground and breaks into pieces, sending the head rolling some distance.

Some enterprising VILLAGERS hitch a team of horses and drag the head of their deposed tyrant around the square to the shouts and applause of the crowd. They ride out, heading down the road. This is only the opening of the show; the main attraction is yet to come.

Xena walks back to the cart where Silvas trembles in fear, naked and red. She unhitches Tobias and rewards him with a carrot; Argo, not to be left out, gets an apple. She leads both animals past the cart.

Xena, coldly

XENA

I keep my promises.

Silvas looks around and realizes that the quick and easy death he expected at Xena's hand is not coming. She is leaving him to the mob.

Xena leaves the square with Argo and Tobias to the screams of Silvas. The VILLAGERS close ranks and now there is a solid wall of bodies on all four sides. Silvas the Red's day of reckoning has arrived. With a yell, the VILLAGERS charge at the object of their hate.

CUT TO:

EXT. VILLAGE – VILLAGE ROAD – MORNING

Down the road from the square, Xena hears the attack.

Xena, stopping and closing her eyes

XENA

Forgive me, Gabrielle. He did not deserve your compassion.

CUT TO:

EXT. MELANA'S FARM – HOUSE – 3 DAYS LATER/MORNING

Athena walks Tobias in circles much to the delight of her passengers. On the donkey's bare back sits Lynal, holding his two younger BROTHERS and three year old SISTER. The children are having the time of their lives, as their excited voices attest.

Gabrielle and Melana watch, smiles on their faces. Then Melana breaks the moment.

Melana, awkwardly

MELANA

Can I ask you something?

GABRIELLE

Sure, anything.

MELANA

There is something strange about your wife. She comes and goes; not stealthy like you, it is like she vanishes and appears out of thin air.

Gabrielle, waving away Melana's concern, putting her at ease

GABRIELLE

Athena is not what she appears to you. She loves your children; we have one and expect more.

MELANA

I can see her with a throng of her own.

Pause.

Melana, deeply puzzled

MELANA

Gabrielle, I understand Xena. I even understand Athena. What I don't understand is you. You help with the farm, you hunt and preserve enough food to last weeks, and you give Tobias to the children. We can't pay you and we don't have anything of value.

Gabrielle, looking at the children, with a genuine smile that lights her face and eyes

GABRIELLE

You have love.

Gabrielle hugs the astonished and speechless woman and then walks to Xena fussing over Argo and trying to appear busy and unavailable. Gabrielle is not fooled.

Gabrielle, taking Xena by the arm and leading her towards the children

XENA

Come on grumpy, time to say goodbye to the children.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – SUMMER SOLSTICE/LATE AFTERNOON

Xena approaches Gabrielle cleaning their armor and weapons with assistance from Athena. It looks like a regular armory with the amount of war gear they lug around on daily basis.

Xena halts next to Gabrielle, cloth wrapped bundle in her hand. Her nerves fail her and she stands there, shifting her legs and desperately trying to get words out. None appear.

Gabrielle looks up from her work and correctly assesses the situation. She stands up and extends a hand, palm up. Xena puts the gift in it and almost bolts. What stops her is the expression on Gabrielle's face; the storm of emotion her gesture unleashes.

Xena, confused and scared

XENA

Gabrielle, I'm sorry; did I do something wrong?

Gabrielle is looking at the bundle in her hand thru a waterfall of tears, mesmerized.

Xena, imploring, worried

XENA

Please, please don't cry. Tell me what's wrong.

Gabrielle, finally unwrapping the present and gasping when she sees it, sniffling

GABRIELLE

Nothing.

Pause.

Gabrielle, with wonder

GABRIELLE

It's perfect.

XENA

You are weepy.

GABRIELLE

Am not.

XENA

Are.

Gabrielle, sheepishly

GABRIELLE

Thank you.

Pause.

Gabrielle, genuinely surprised

GABRIELLE

How did you know?

Xena, admitting her secret

XENA

I asked Athena.

Gabrielle, kissing Xena on the cheek, gratefully

GABRIELLE

You did good.

Xena, shyly

XENA

How does it work?

Gabrielle brings the toy in front of Xena's face and pulls the tail, opening its mouth.

Gabrielle, on impulse, singing and moving the wooden sheep around

GABRIELLE

White sheep gold sheep
On green hill
When the wind stops
You all stand still
When the wind blows
You walk away slow
White sheep gold sheep
Where do you go?

White sheep black sheep
Graze on a hill
When the wind stops
You all stand still
When the wind blows
You walk away slow
White sheep black sheep
Where do you go?

Xena rewards the performance by capturing Gabrielle in a fierce hug, squeezing the air out of the bard.

Xena, emotionally

XENA

I love you, my white sheep.

Gabrielle, drawing a deep breath after being released, affectionately

GABRIELLE

I love you too.

Athena watches them with a huge smile on her face, watery eyes drowning in joy.

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page