Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Orphan of War”

Episode 42 , Part 2

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – LATE EVENING

Xena returns to camp from her bath and finds Gabrielle throwing knives at an apple tossed heavenwards by Athena. By the look of this particular fruit, this one went a few rounds already. Two more blades find home in the soft flesh and Argo whines impatiently, which explains the mystery of the other missing, perforated apples.

Gabrielle gets up from the log she and the Goddess were sitting on to retrieve her weapons and only then does Argo's wish come true. Gabrielle walks up to her and feeds her the apple, petting the horse and whispering softly in the process.

Meanwhile, Athena pats the log, inviting Xena to take a seat. She reaches down and retrieves a brush, with few strands of hers and Gabrielle's hair trapped in it. It is an invitation Xena eagerly accepts.

Xena drops her stuff and goes to straddle the log, taking a seat with her back to Athena, who adjusts accordingly. She practically purrs as the Goddess begins her task.

Xena, curious

XENA

What changed?

Athena, pointedly

ATHENA

I can stop.

XENA

Don't. Please.

ATHENA

We know you cultivate the fierce and wild look on purpose but it has to go.

XENA

What is this: warlord extreme makeover?

Athena, teasing

ATHENA

Wife thinks you look better without a mane.

XENA

Wife checking me out?

Athena, with a straight face, neutrally

ATHENA

She has to look at you all day.

Xena, suspicious

XENA

That a complement or insult?

Gabrielle, joining them, philosophically

GABRIELLE

That which is striking and beautiful is not always good but that which is good is always beautiful.

XENA

And …?

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

You shine inside.

Gabrielle sits behind Athena and with a happy sigh rests her head on the Goddess' back. Her hands reach out and instinctively find a place on Athena's body, where they move of their own accord. Athena gasps in reaction.

Xena, not ready for the brushing to end, enjoying it too much, sternly

XENA

Hands off the wife, Gabrielle.

Gabrielle, playfully, with a hint of possessiveness and desire

GABRIELLE

Mine.

Xena, grumbling

XENA

Yours later.

Athena, warmly

ATHENA

Yours soon.

This mollifies Gabrielle, who wraps her arms around Athena and crosses her hands on Athena's stomach. Placing a kiss on the tunic under her cheek, the bard settles down and starts dozing off, comfortable. Soon, soft snoring reaches the ears of both women as Athena continues to untangle the chaos of strands and tresses.

Xena, suddenly

XENA

Do Gods pray?

Athena, thoughtfully

ATHENA

Not exactly; rather, I say, different in nature. What you describe is a ritual communication with a deity, whether traditional or personal the message. I have hopes, wishes, dreams but they center on Gabrielle and our future. I direct them at her and she feels it. But before her, no, there was nothing except existence. We come into being one day, shrouded in fog of memory, we are, and then we are not. The centuries wear on the mind, even as the body remains perfect.

XENA

No one above?

Athena, throwing the question back at Xena

ATHENA

Sounds familiar?

Xena, harsher than she intended

XENA

I had no use for your kind and contempt after Ares.

Athena, ignoring the tone, quietly

ATHENA

And now?

Xena, making up for her earlier statement, gently

XENA

I am glad to have you in my life.

Athena, touching Xena reassuringly on the arm and holding there, softly

ATHENA

Me too.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – GRASS FIELD - MORNING

Xena walks alongside Argo, pointing out targets at random. Gabrielle, riding on Argo, shoots each in turn. Because Xena does not speak and the direction is the only thing she has to go on, it is game of guessing intent rather than accuracy. It passes the time and strengthens the communication. Gabrielle correctly identifies and engages each target until she finally misses one, not even making an attempt, just sort of drifting off.

Gabrielle, out of the blue, halting the horse

GABRIELLE

Your husband and Hermes are due shortly.

XENA

I liked the divorce part best.

Ares, appearing along with Hermes ahead of them, pretending hurt

ARES

Xena, you wound me.

Xena, her hand going for the chakram, growling

XENA

Plan on it.

ARES

Admit it, we are great together.

Xena, coldly

XENA

Talk business or bleed: your choice. The days of social visits are over, what with our past.

Ares, abandoning the small talk, to Gabrielle, haughtily

ARES

The Centaurs are favored and interference is not advised. I am not Artemis and will not look kindly on meddling in their affairs. Find a different place to sell your peace.

Gabrielle, negotiating, reasonably

GABRIELLE

We saved your people, Ares. You owe us.

Ares, refusing to budge, proudly

ARES

The Centaurs are undefeated and unconquered. Wound them and they come back twice as strong. The Nation is under the God of War's protection.

Pause.

ARES

And Gabrielle, word of advice: you are now an Amazon, your former affiliations and obligations erased. You know what the Amazons do to men caught in their territory; hope you don't find out how Centaurs return the favor. It pales in comparison.

Laughing at his own joke, Ares disappears and Gabrielle looks at Xena for explanation.

Xena, wincing, uncomfortable

XENA

Impalement.

Gabrielle shudders and even Hermes appears disturbed.

Gabrielle, sadly

GABRIELLE

Savagery breeds worse.

Xena, to Gabrielle, urgently

XENA

Amazons derided softness; they confused your love with weakness. When it turned to steel, the old order crumbled. Lila is your message and your daughter will complete the change. She will take them into the future and greatness, the legacy of a special woman I know and love. Centaurs don't stand a chance against us.

Hermes, cautioning, dampening the enthusiasm and injecting objectivity

HERMES

The flame of war does not die; Hydra-like, it erupts in another location.

Gabrielle, wisely

GABRIELLE

The ones engaged in it don't see the real cost.

Xena, cutting to the chase, to Hermes, directly

XENA

We are visiting on official business. What's Ares' game?

Hermes, looking at each in turn, not eager to share the bad news

HERMES

… The Centaurs shifted their efforts from the Amazons to Greeks.

GABRIELLE

Why?

XENA

It is who they are.

GABRIELLE

I don't believe that.

HERMES

Half human, half horse, all beast. The heart is dressed in the trapping of man but its nature remains. Ares' blood boils in them.

XENA

This is going to get bloody.

Gabrielle, thoughtfully

GABRIELLE

We turn the rage inwards and channel it.

XENA

Tried that, whole lot of people died.

HERMES

Xena is a particularly bad example. No offense.

XENA

I deserved that.

Gabrielle, objecting immediately, defending Xena as always even from herself, pointedly

GABRIELLE

Once Xena, remember that. That is not you now. Plan?

Xena, working things out, thinking loudly

XENA

Something you said about a safe outlet. Sports: the more violent and brutal the better.

Hermes, relieved

HERMES

You make it look easy. I tell you what needs fixing and you do it.

GABRIELLE

You forget the details.

HERMES

Deliberately; means should remain hidden. As in life, so in crafting stories – the art demands it. Agreed?

XENA

Now, now, can't reveal all our secrets.

GABRIELLE

We might lose our hero jobs.

HERMES

The whole Pantheon follows your adventures; Gabrielle, the Light of Olympus and Xena, the Hope of Olympus.

Xena, noticing the happy expression appear on Gabrielle's face, smiling back

XENA

We both win.

CUT TO:

EXT. CENTAUR VILLAGE – RIVER – EARLY AFTERNOON

In the distance, the round huts are clearly visible. Framed with wooden skeleton, covered in skins and topped with straw, they cluster in a circle around the open space in the middle. Four large avenues that could be generously called roads cross in the round plaza. The place has an open, airy appearance to it. The Centaurs don't like narrow spaces and the village layout reflects that.

A river, with overgrown banks, provides water and screens the view of the buildings. There is an obvious place to cross, clear of vegetation. Xena and Gabrielle, followed by Argo, head for it.

Abruptly, Gabrielle unslings the bow and shoots, meeting the other arrow in midflight.

The missiles collide and fall harmlessly to the ground. Xena signals one archer and location and Gabrielle concurs with a slight nod. Xena unhooks and raises the chakram slightly, unasked question on her lips and Gabrielle shakes negative.

Xena, opting for words yet ready to throw, derisively

XENA

What coward ambushes Amazons?

The words have the desired effect and a YOUNG CENTAUR breaks from the green cover and trots towards them.

YOUNG CENTAUR, to Gabrielle, dismissing her skill

YOUNG CENTAUR

You got lucky.

Gabrielle, sternly

GABRIELLE

Gabrielle of Thrace Amazons, Chosen of Athena. Luck played a role when I brought down my first prey at eight; luck saved your life when I did not string a second arrow and put it in your chest.

XENA

If it was me, you would be dead, child.

YOUNG CENTAUR, not listening, self-importantly

YOUNG CENTAUR

I am Dagnon, son of Kaleipus, fifteen winters old. I am a man.

Xena, getting in his face, angry

XENA

You are a hotheaded idiot, violating the truce, and attacking Queen Gabrielle. She risked her life and killed her adopted mother, Melosa, to achieve the peace you nearly wrecked. That's one. She stayed her hand and did not retaliate. That's two. People who threaten the Queen die swiftly yet I restrained; barely. That's three. According to the terms of the treaty, the guilty party is turned over for justice to the respective tribe. That's four. You owe Gabrielle your life many times over and she has a right to collect it. You father can't protect you, your Nation can't stop this, and if this woman orders your execution, you will hang from the tree, no longer a man.

Xena, grabbing him by the tunic and bringing him low with ease, deadly serious

XENA

Do you understand now, child?

The Centaur, so brave minutes ago, turns into the boy he is. Xena shoves him away and walks a short distance from him. She stands there, back to them, trying to collect herself.

Dagnon, kneeling before Gabrielle, blubbering

DAGNON

Mercy …

Gabrielle, kindly

GABRIELLE

Dagnon, you are forgiven and this stays between us. Would you do us the honor of a formal escort?

Dagnon's face lights up and his slumped shoulders lift in pride as he stands. With one sentence, Gabrielle has restored his confidence and showed him respect when he deserved none. Puffing out his chest, he takes a position at the front and leads them to his home.

Xena and Gabrielle follow behind, talking low.

Gabrielle, chuckling

GABRIELLE

Good bard, bad Warrior Princess.

XENA

It worked.

GABRIELLE

Another young man traumatized by you.

XENA

Most don't complain.

GABRIELLE

The survivors count themselves fortunate to be that.

Pause.

Gabrielle, lightly touching Xena on the elbow, praising sincerely

GABRIELLE

I am proud by how you handled the situation. That speech alone deserves a hug. Come here.

Xena, melting into the contact, content

XENA

I did good.

GABRIELLE

You are good.

Xena, breaking the connection but leaving an arm around Gabrielle, warmly

XENA

Huggy, I love you.

They resume walking.

Gabrielle, happy

GABRIELLE

Knew you would come around.

They reach the river and Xena wades in blithely as Gabrielle nimbly slips from her grasp. The bard stays on the shore and signals Argo, who obediently trots to a halt near her. She mounts the horse and with a satisfied look they ford the river together, passing Xena who is up to her waist in water.

Gabrielle, smirking

GABRIELLE

I win.

Xena grimly pushes onwards, ignoring the dry bard, murmuring unintelligibly and darkly under her breath. Whatever the words, they can't be nice.

CUT TO:

INT. CENTAUR VILLAGE – CHIEF'S HUT - AFTERNOON

The interior is sparse, with a table, few chests, weapon's stand and two piles of straw covered by skins. Kaleipus paces nervously, clearly expecting either news or company, neither likely to be good.

Ares arrives with little fanfare, unusual for him.

Kaleipus, kneeling, worshipfully

KALEIPUS

O mighty God Ares, father of the Centaurs, I am humbled by your presence.

Ares, secretly pleased with the devotion but hiding it well, matter of fact

ARES

Gabrielle of Potidaea arrives today; be advised she is Athena's Chosen, not an Amazon Queen, on this visit.

KALEIPUS

With respect, there is no difference.

Ares, lecturing harshly, ending with an implied threat

ARES

You are at peace with one and at odds with the other. Figure it out and solve it to satisfaction.

He disappears and Kaleipus walks over and picks up a bag of fermented milk hanging near a door. He drinks deeply.

Kaleipus, his mind and gaze on something unseen, troubled

KALEIPUS

Damned either way.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. CENTAUR VILLAGE – FIRST HUTS – LATE AFTERNOON

The structures appear roughly the same, no doubt a defensive tactic. Variations in skin decorations, familiar to inhabitants, are lost on the outsiders. CENTAURS, of all ages and genders, mingle with HUMANS, similarly varied. Most CENTAURS and HUMANS go about their day; few give Xena and Gabrielle a second look. There is no sign of female captives that the Centaurs trade with Amazons.

Dagnon leads the two women to his father's hut. Xena is cool and withdrawn while Gabrielle is eating the sights, smells, and sounds with wide open and darting about eyes. You can almost see her spinning the story in her head already.

Xena, playfully

XENA

It will be here later.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

Nuh-uh, f irst impressions are the best.

Xena, revealing a hint of insecurity under the cheerfulness, casually

XENA

How was I?

Gabrielle, taking Xena's hand and intertwining their fingers, reassuring

GABRIELLE

Unexpected yet welcome.

They walk hand in hand thru the village, behind Dagnon strutting in front, high on his importance.

CUT TO:

INT. CENTAUR VILLAGE – CHIEF'S HUT – LATE AFTERNOON

The curtain over the entry is pushed to the side and Xena and Gabrielle easily pass inside. There is something to be said for Centaur-centric design.

Kaleipus, tossing them a skin filled with fermented milk, curtly

KALEIPUS

Drink.

Xena takes a generous swig and hands it to Gabrielle. The bard looks doubtful for a second but she bravely imitates Xena when she notices a slight shake of the head, telling her hesitation is not wise. Gabrielle has no problem once the alcohol is in her and adds a second helping for a good measure. She corks it and throws it on the table.

She did right, for Kaleipus extends a hand to her and they do a forearm handshake. Xena is next in greeting and she can't help but put a little extra, making the Centaur wince. Trust Xena to establish pecking order instantly, thinks Gabrielle.

Kaleipus motions to the two chairs that joined the furniture since Ares' call earlier. He takes the abandoned alcohol and continues to indulge. Xena and Gabrielle exchange glances.

Kaleipus, buzzed, heavily

KALEIPUS

The long memory of war with Amazons stretches past our ancestors into forgetfulness. Taking it away means nothing for we find new amusement. Queen Gabrielle: I cannot stop the raids any more than I can stop a raging prairie fire. Centaurs are not just his people; we are Ares.

While Gabrielle takes the seat, Xena walks over and rips the skin from Kaleipus' hand, discarding it. It lands with a splat and leaks whitish contents. Strong smell fills the room.

XENA

You are going to challenge her, aren't you?

KALEIPUS

That transparent?

XENA

That cowardly.

Kaleipus, ignoring the insult, proudly, ending with a loud belch

KALEIPUS

I am a Centaur.

XENA

You heard the tales?

Kaleipus, waiving his hand dismissively, scoffing

KALEIPUS

Stories only a fool would believe.

Gabrielle, cutting in unexpectedly, firmly

GABRIELLE

Renounce Ares.

Xena and Kaleipus, shouting

XENA & KALEIPUS

What?!

Gabrielle, calmly

GABRIELLE

The Centaurs of old were beasts, feasting on the flesh of others. Chiron, the strongest and wisest, overcame the legacy of the God of War. He is the true father of your race, Kaleipus.

Kaleipus, starting to object

KALEIPUS

Ares …

Xena, interrupting

XENA

Lies.

Gabrielle, persuasively

GABRIELLE

Starting the war is a choice as is ending it. You can duel and find oblivion in the steel of my arrowhead. Or you can embrace Athena and honor Chiron, her student.

Kaleipus, showing intelligence, cannily

KALEIPUS

According to Xena, Gods cannot be trusted.

GABRIELLE

My wife is. We spoke at lunch.

Xena, pouting

XENA

There was no sharing.

Gabrielle, mischievously

GABRIELLE

Oh, there was.

Xena, dramatically

XENA

Mercy, last night was not enough?

Pause.

Xena, noticing the confusion in Kaleipus' eyes, correcting quickly

XENA

I mean about Centaurs.

GABRIELLE

It is a sore spot with Ares, festering for centuries. He created them savage, driven wild by blood and the hunt, caring only to trample the victims and tear them apart with teeth – alive all the better. He made them broken on purpose. Athena asked Aphrodite to grant them love.

Kaleipus, his attention captured and rapt, guessing

KALEIPUS

Chiron?

Gabrielle, with deep sorrow

GABRIELLE

They murdered him, you know. He stood there, refused to fight for he loved them; with his death, the gift spread to his butchers.

Xena, looking queasy, stunned

XENA

They ate him?!

Gabrielle, nodding

GABRIELLE

It was the Centaur way.

KALEIPUS

I am not him.

Xena, understating wryly

XENA

Count that as lucky.

Gabrielle, decisively

GABRIELLE

Kaleipus, your people were enslaved by Ares and freed by Athena. Truth is: you are your own.

CUT TO:

INT. CENTAUR VILLAGE – CHIEF'S HUT - NIGHT

Kaleipus hears his son approach their hut, the hoofbeats familiar in his heart. His thoughts are interrupted by the flash of light and the appearance of Ares, sitting on the ominous, black throne. Dagnon stops just outside the entrance and Kaleipus focuses on the God of War, bending to his knees and bowing low. Father's love places family before personal considerations.

Ares, playing with a sword, dangerously

ARES

How is your faith, Kaleipus?

Kaleipus, subserviently

KALEIPUS

Unswayed.

ARES

And your loyalty?

KALEIPUS

Yours, always.

Ares, leaving the throne smoothly and lifting Kaleipus' chin with the blade, coldly

ARES

Why do you test me?

Kaleipus, his eyes down, humbly

KALEIPUS

Your will, God Ares.

Pause.

Kaleipus, daring to look upon the visage of the God of War, carefully

KALEIPUS

Before you pass sentence, I beg an indulgence.

Ares, graciously

ARES

Speak.

KALEIPUS

The truth about Chiron.

Ares, expression clouding, threateningly

ARES

No one takes what's mine. Gabrielle spoke right: father punished Athena and Aphrodite for their interference and erased the memory from the minds of mortals. However, what was damaged remains so. Fortunately, under my guidance, the Centaurs continue in their proper ways.

Kaleipus, quietly

KALEIPUS

What is to be my punishment?

ARES

The Wild Ones are my sword and you are the hand that wields it.

KALEIPUS

Do I have a choice?

Ares, pleased with his power over this mortal, smugly

ARES

No. Reject the poison cursing in your veins and embrace your divine heritage.

Kaleipus rises and straightens up to his full height. The accepted roles vanish with this action and it is not lost on Ares, who tightens his grip on the sword. The old Centaur is no longer a cowering supplicant, but a strong, confident leader, both in appearance and attitude.

Kaleipus, making a conscious choice, going out as a warrior, determined

KALEIPUS

I willingly return Aphrodite's gift. I, Kaleipus, renounce love.

CUT TO:

EXT. CENTAUR VILLAGE – CHIEF'S HUT - NIGHT

Kaleipus cries out inside the hut, a strangled, choking sound overflowing with suffering. Vivid aguish laces his voice. Dagnon reaches for the sword instinctively, only to drop his hand and lower his head. His shoulders sag as defeat settles heavy on him: there is nothing he can do and his father is lost to him.

The light show recurs, signifying Ares' departure. Wiping the tears, Dagnon turns away from the curtain and slowly steps away, taking great care to remain silent.

CUT TO:

EXT. CENTAUR VILLAGE – CHIEF'S HUT - NIGHT

The curtain parts and Kaleipus emerges from within. He silently watches his son disappear in the direction of the stables, guessing Dagnon's destination and purpose. Yet something holds him in place, some remainder of what was. Kaleipus appears to be struggling with himself, trying to move but unable to. All he succeeds in doing is stomping his hoofs into the dirt.

CUT TO:

EXT. CENTAUR VILLAGE – OUTSKIRTS/GUEST HUT - NIGHT

Dagnon approaches the dark structure and Argo follows him closely, saddled and ready for departure. Obviously communication is not a problem, as there is no use of the lead rope.

Near the hut, Argo stops without command and Dagnon continues to the curtain. He reaches out to open it and freezes when a dagger is pressed against his neck. Gabrielle pokes her upper body out of the door.

Gabrielle appraises unarmed and perfectly still Dagnon for a second, and then turns to Xena.

Gabrielle, teasing

GABRIELLE

A Centaur, Xena? You shouldn't have.

Xena, removing the dagger, shrugging

XENA

You try shopping in the middle of the night.

Both women are wearing leather armor and weapons.

Gabrielle, stepping outside and noticing the youth's distress, concerned

GABRIELLE

What's wrong, Dagnon?

Dagnon, sniffling, near tears

DAGNON

Father's dead.

Then Gabrielle's arms are around him and breaking down, he cries in her arms. Xena shifts uncomfortably, then motions with head towards the hut and then Argo. Gabrielle lightly nods and Xena disappears inside.

In short order, she emerges holding their saddlebags, Gabrielle's bow and quiver slang on her back. Xena moves with a purpose towards Argo and drops her burden. She inspects the tack before stowing their gear, while Gabrielle continues to comfort Dagnon.

Done, Xena returns and places a supporting hand on Dagnon's shoulder. Taking her clue from Xena, Gabrielle releases her hold and steps next to her. Together, they face the boy.

Xena, squeezing his shoulder in support, urgently

XENA

I am sorry for you loss but if you brought Argo, the situation is dire. We need to move. Tell us what we need to know.

GABRIELLE

Be strong, Dagnon; honor the memory of your father and your storied Centaur heritage.

Dagnon, straightening up, growing up before their eyes, after a steadying breath

DAGNON

The God of War summoned the Wild Ones roaming free and named father their leader. They are the original Centaurs and they are coming after you. They won't stop till they run you down and tear you apart.

GABRIELLE

Why does he need them? Why not turn the entire village?

DAGNON

A Centaur must be willing; I heard rumors of it happening but no one wants to return to the ways of the ancestors. We like the community and the humans that share our lives. We don't want to be mindless animals in the sport of our God again. We serve God Ares but we are free; we are not his slaves and we prize our independence.

XENA

Kaleipus the mind of the herd?

DAGNON

Yes.

GABRIELLE

Plan is Amazons?

XENA

Plan is Amazons.

Gabrielle gazes off into a distance. Dagnon is about to say something Xena puts a finger to her lips, indicating silence.

Gabrielle, coming back, brightly

GABRIELLE

There is a party of Amazons following half a day behind, fifteen score warriors under Solaris. They are camped riverside, north of the crossing. It appears we have a royal escort an hour away.

XENA

Wife coming?

Gabrielle, cheekily

GABRIELLE

On probation for spreading love.

Xena, dryly

XENA

I will say.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

You did; now hush, you.

Pause.

Gabrielle, sweetly

GABRIELLE

Dagnon, Argo can't carry us both. May I?

Dagnon offers his back, eager to help and take his mind off his troubles. Gabrielle quickly retrieves a blanket from Argo and places it on him.

Xena, innocently

XENA

Riding bareback the first willing Centaur; is there no end to your youth corrupting ways?

GABRIELLE

Xena, behave.

The women swiftly mount their rides and trot briefly, before shifting to gallop.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – GRASS PLAIN - NIGHT

The moonlit surface parts to the passing of Argo and the Centaur, running abreast. Both are breathing hard and their exhale plumes spread in the cool air. In the distance, the dark strip of vegetation looms, the solid line outlining the river.

Gabrielle is one with Dagnon's motion, white teeth flashing and eyes sparkling, wrapped in the halo of soft hair dancing wantonly. She glows in the silver illumination bathing the landscape.

Xena is barely watching ahead, caught in the beauty of the woman beside her. She openly admires Gabrielle's motion and features and gets a grin for her gaping. Abruptly, she glances back and when her eyes return to the bard, they signal trouble.

Xena, more for Dagnon's benefit, yelling

XENA

Company!

Gabrielle looks back and notices Kaleipus gaining on them. He is closing fast, being a mature Centaur and not burdened with a passenger. In his hands is a bow, readied for use. Reacting without thought and in perfect timing with Dagnon's gallop, Gabrielle throws her leg over so she is riding sidesaddle for a moment. Completing the maneuver, she throws the other leg over and is now facing backwards. Guessing her intent, the Centaur maintains the speed steady throughout. It happens so fast that Xena, watching the entire thing, has no time to worry or think about stopping it.

The river crossing is in sight, but they won't reach it before the arrows are exchanged. Realizing this, Gabrielle unslings the bow and notches the arrow. Kaleipus matches her motion and now they are mere seconds from exchange. Being experts, this is not going to end well for one or both of them as Death approaches. There will be no trick shots or mercy, it is kill or be killed; live or die.

Gabrielle, whispering

GABRIELLE

I choose.

Gabrielle and Kaleipus appear to be frozen at the moment the arrows are released. The missiles hang in the air for a second and then speed towards each other. Gabrielle's arrives first as she is already dropping the bow, innately knowing the second shot won't be necessary. It strikes Kaleipus with a perfect placement, ripping into his heart and exploding it from the impact. His front legs buckle and he plants face-first into the ground; the Centaur slides to a stop, leaving a furrow of grass and dirt in his wake. Kaleipus lays still, small and dead, empty eyes directed at the moon.

Xena, hysterical

XENA

GABRIELLE!!!

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – GRASS PLAIN – NIGHT

Xena halts Argo and jumps off. She rushes to the Centaur who managed a shorter stopping distance and only when she gets to him do her legs fail her and she staggers.

Gabrielle is on Dagnon's back, strangely still. She makes no sound or motion.

Fearing the worst, her whole body trembling and her face pale and wet, Xena approaches and hesitantly reaches for Gabrielle. The bard falls into her arms and she chokes a sob only to have it turn into a laugh.

Dagnon, discretely looking away, snaps his head towards Xena in fear, thinking she went mad with grief. To his surprise, there is no blood on Gabrielle's leather armor and in her right hand Gabrielle clutches Kaleipus' arrow, the steel tip spotless.

Gabrielle comes to with a start and opens her eyes. She has no chance to get her bearings as Xena rains kisses on the bard's face while crying and then brings her close and starts squeezing the life out of her.

Gabrielle, suffocating, manages the words with effort

GABRIELLE

Xena … let … go.

Xena relents with great reluctance and Gabrielle gulps the air into her starved lungs.

Xena, admonishing

XENA

Don't you ever do that again!

GABRIELLE

Live?

Xena, relief and worry in equal measure

XENA

I thought you died!

GABRIELLE

Nearly did. Then things went woozy and I lost consciousness. Thanks for catching me. My hero.

Xena delicately sets Gabrielle down on the grass and runs over to Argo. She returns with a waterskin and opens it before kneeling down. Propping Gabrielle into a sitting position with one arm, she uses the other to help the bard drink.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – GRASS PLAIN – NIGHT

Xena helps Gabrielle stand up and Dagnon comes closer, fear and pain in his eyes, unasked question on his lips. Xena, single-minded in her purpose, checks Gabrielle for any other injuries and then holds her by the arms and looks into her eyes.

XENA

Okay?

Gabrielle brings her hands up between them and shows Xena the tremors shaking them, turning them over in wonder as they flutter out of her control.

GABRIELLE

Nerves and guilt.

Xena immediately captures them and starts rubbing and massaging them, trying to still the shaking.

Gabrielle, turning to Dagnon, sympathetically

GABRIELLE

Kaleipus is dead. I'm sorry.

Dagnon, showing her the arrow she caught and later dropped, tearfully accepting

DAGNON

Father said goodbye in the hut. He knew and that is why he came after us alone. It was his last, loving act before the Siren song of Ares' blood stole his reason.

The words reach Xena and penetrate with meaning.

Xena, fixing on Dagnon, urgently

XENA

Dagnon, the Wild Ones, what will they do without a leader?

DAGNON

They will attack the first village they …

Dagnon drifts off, the terrifying implication sinking in on him. On them.

GABRIELLE

Plan?

Xena, raising Gabrielle's hands to her lips and kissing them, collected

XENA

You and Dagnon get the Amazons; I will alert the Centaurs and slow them down.

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

Watch yourself and live for me.

XENA

Love you too.

Xena breaks touch and bounds toward Argo, finishing with a leap on the saddle. With a yell, she is off.

Gabrielle, looking at the dark lump in the distance that is Kaleipus, softly

GABRIELLE

Do you want to say goodbye?

Dagnon, showing maturity, putting the public before personal, bravely

DAGNON

My people need me.

Gabrielle gives him a hug and mounts him. Together, they run towards the river, every second precious.

CUT TO:

EXT. CENTAUR VILLAGE – ROAD - NIGHT

Xena flies down road and into the village proper, drawing attention from CENTAUR SENTRIES patrolling the inner village.

Xena, hollering as she passes deeper into the collection of huts

XENA

The Wild Ones are coming!

The Wild Ones are coming!

The Wild Ones are coming!

Cries echo her words and the place erupts into organized pandemonium. Horns split the air and units begin to form.

Xena is preparing to halt and dismount as she reaches the square when something catches her eye in the distance. A cloud of lights is fast descending on the village from the other direction and on closer look, it breaks into individual WILD CENTAURS wielding torches.

Xena, over the chaos, roaring

XENA

To me!

In the absence of Kaleipus, the male CENTAURS obey without question, forming around her. The WILD CENTAURS in both genders reach the outskirts and the two groups begin exchanging arrows as they close in. The WILD CENTAURS toss their torches in passing and a sea of fire marks their passage.

Then it is too close for bows and drawing swords, the CENTAURS led by Xena and the WILD CENTAURS clash violently. The CENTAURS are badly outnumbered and the trickling reinforcements are not enough. Right now it is a delaying fight, giving the families time to escape.

The female CENTAURS, the old and the youngest, plus their counterparts on the human side, are leaving the village in the other direction. The male CENTAURS form a wall of bodies, damming the flow of WILD CENTAURS, protecting their families.

Xena, atop Argo, is magnificent. The war horse and raider fight as one fury, in the element, seemingly born for this. Argo kicks, bites, and tramples any WILD CENTAURS unlucky enough to be near her or on the ground. Xena's hands weave the chakram and the sword in mesmerizing and deadly patterns, falling WILD CENTAURS left and right.

CUT TO:

EXT. CENTAUR VILLAGE – VILLAGE SQUARE - NIGHT

Half of the huts are in flames, illuminating the last stand of Xena and the male CENTAURS, plus a few human MERCENARIES. Pushed to the edge of the square, the ten score of defenders is slowly being whittled to nothing by the WILD CENTAURS who number at least twice that and surround them completely. There is no escape.

The WILD CENTAURS, absent any cloth, and marked with designs drawn in blood long dry, are so intent on finishing their pray that numbers of them fall to the arrows before it registers on them. Surprise achieved and spent, the AMAZONS charge in with spears.

At the head of the Amazon war party is Gabrielle. Astride Dagnon, she works her staff to devastating effect, mowing down any WILD CENTAUR foolish enough to stand in her way to Xena. In short order she is next to her bloody and worse for wear, yet alive and fighting friend and they smile at each other. Together; right where they belong, and stronger for it.

CUT TO:

EXT. CENTAUR VILLAGE – VILLAGE SQUARE - NIGHT

Xena and the AMAZONS are behind Gabrielle. Dagnon and the CENTAURS face her. The Queen and the new Chief approach each other and formally seal the alliance with a forearm shake. The cheers and shouts ring out into the night.

Brief ceremony over, the AMAZONS and the CENTAURS begin the grim task of sorting the wounded and preparing bodies for burial. Gabrielle leaves for the field infirmary that is being set up nearby; Xena begins triage.

CUT TO:

EXT. CENTAUR VILLAGE – VILLAGE SQUARE - NIGHT

The thick, swirling smoke obscures the Centaur village as Xena walks around, checking the HUMAN and CENTAUR BODIES for signs of life. Standing up after the latest inspection, she comes face to face with the God of War. They are alone, surrounded by death and destruction, highly appropriate given their common past.

Xena, rounding on him, accusing

XENA

They loved you, worshipped you.

ARES

Like you.

Xena, not sounding convincing, even to herself

XENA

It was business.

Ares, catching Xena's lack of conviction, believing there was more to them, insistently

ARES

I loved you and you returned it in part, don't deny it. We can have it again, fully.

Xena, dripping with scorn, gesturing at the destruction around them

XENA

Like you loved them? Your people, your blood, and you set them on each other.

Ares, grabbing her arm and drawing her closer, fevered

ARES

Gabrielle took them away from me! Just as she you and others.

Xena, wrenching the arm away, sad

XENA

No, it was you and your damn ego.

Xena walks away a few steps and stops, her back to Ares.

Xena, letting go of the past, brutally honest, confessing

XENA

I used you and you used me. I was wrong to do it, I was wrong to reject you after your sacrifice; I was right to walk away from you. With time comes forgiveness and I understand why you did it, but I did not love you then; I was not capable of loving anyone. I gave you my body, not my heart. Ares, I am truly sorry I hurt you.

Ares disappears, only to reappear in front of Xena.

Ares, angry and bitter, cruelly

ARES

Fine Xena, be the dog licking the scraps under Gabrielle and Athena's table.

Xena, not taking the bait, cutting thru his insults with love, confidently

XENA

I died for Gabrielle, twice. I let her go to find happiness with another, again twice. I have her love and we will be together in all things once we pass.

Pause.

Xena, smiling

XENA

I love Gabrielle; I love her enough to live for her and I love her enough to die for her. And Ares? She returns it just as strongly. What you offer pales to that.

Ares, bitingly

ARES

Either you are a fool or Athena is deluding herself.

XENA

Neither.

Ares, realizing what she is saying, sharply

ARES

The God of War does not share.

Xena, turning and walking away, over her shoulder, resolutely

XENA

Then Ares stands alone.

CUT TO:

INT. CENTAUR VILLAGE – GUEST HUT – LATE MORNING

Xena and Gabrielle enter the hut, their hair still damp. They are wearing long, medium-weight tunics and exhaustion lines their faces and circles their eyes darkly.

Gabrielle walks to the bed and plops on it with an exaggerated sigh. Xena chuckles and assists the bard under the covers, tucking her in. Xena ruffles Gabrielle's hair and steps back.

Gabrielle, invitingly

GABRIELLE

Wife is busy embroidering and gossiping. Don't be a stranger.

XENA

Domestic agrees with her. What won't is me and you in bed.

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

We trust you. Come, share.

Xena does not need further encouragement. She goes to the other side of the bed and gets in; in record time she is on her side, facing Gabrielle who is in her usual position.

GABRIELLE

Don't kick and don't steal blankets. Or my virtue.

Xena, lightly

XENA

Oh, no chance of that.

Gabrielle, giggling

GABRIELLE

Liar.

They both laugh, relaxed and comfortable in the closeness. Gabrielle offers her hand to Xena who captures it and curls around it; content, she falls asleep soon after. Gabrielle watches Xena for a spell and then her eyes close and she dreams as well.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page