Disclaimer:  Xena and Gabrielle aren't mine and probably belong to Universal, or at least the last time I heard.  This story is not for profit.  Depicts a loving relationship between two women, but nothing overly graphic.

 

Special Disclaimer:  Dear IseQween: Challenge accepted.  This story contains absolutely no plot.  It's just a cozy fluff piece written for the Royal Academy of Bards Solstice 2023 because IseQween asked so nicely.  Written November-December 2023.  Story contains a re-imagining of one of my favorite New Mexican Christmas traditions.

 

The Solstice I Can Give You

by The Bard of New Mexico

Feed the bard: silverdolphin12@hotmail.com

 

“That's robbery!” the blond bard protested.  “Five dinars a night for a place in the barn instead of a real room?!”

 

The large ruddy-faced woman answered, “It's Solstice, after all.  The inn's been booked up for a while.  Then, with this bad weather and more expected, people like you have been looking for a place to hole up for a while.  So.  Do you want it or not?”

 

Gabrielle grabbed the mugs of ale off the bar and headed towards the table she shared with Xena.  “We'll let you know.”

 

“Don't take too long,” the innkeeper warned her.  “Even that is likely to go quickly.”

 

Gabrielle plopped down on her chair and took a big gulp of ale while she wondered what to do.

 

“Excuse me,” a sandy-haired man came to their table.  He ignored Xena's hard blue stare.  “Did I hear you say you wanted a place to stay?  I might have just the thing for you.”

 

“Oh?” Xena inquired, keeping her hard gaze steady.

 

“Yes.  You see, my brother died suddenly this fall and I haven't been able to settle his affairs yet.  I'm splitting my time between working my farm and am barely managing to get over to his place to take care of the animals.  You can spend Solstice – and maybe longer if you wish – if you take care of the animals.  And ten dinars,” he added quickly.

 

Gabrielle eyed him.  “You're expecting us to work for you and pay you for that 'privilege'?”

 

The man shrugged and smiled sheepishly. 

 

Gabrielle apparently relented.  “Okay.  Since it's Solstice, I'm going to be generous.  We'll look after the place and give you five dinars.”

 

“Eight.”

 

“Six.  That's as good as I can do.”

 

“You've got yourselves a deal, ladies,” the sandy-haired man said as Gabrielle counted six dinars into his palm.  He slid them into a worn leather money pouch and hooked it onto his wide belt.  “It's a Solstice miracle you came along!  Now I can spend Solstice with the wife and kids and have a little extra for presents,” he exclaimed excitedly, patting the pouch.

 

“Where is this farm?” Xena asked.

 

“It's less than a half league from here.  When you're ready, I'll take you there and show you around.  There's plenty of wood, water, and feed for the animals.  You're also welcome to any supplies you find there.”

 

             *                *                *

 

Gabrielle scanned the two-story farmhouse from outside once more.  The inside was simply-but-comfortably furnished and the main room had a huge fireplace which absolutely charmed Gabrielle.  “Well, Jaros, it seems everything is in order here.  Have a wonderful Solstice!”  She offered him a sunny smile.

 

“Same to you and Xena.”

 

Xena just nodded in thanks.

 

Gabrielle went inside and got a fire going in the huge stone fireplace, then drew some water and got it heating in the cauldron.  Xena brought in their saddlebags and went to the barn.  She brushed, fed, and watered Argo.  She fed and watered the cow and two goats, too.  She was happy to see that there was plenty of bedding, food, and water for all the animals and the barn wasn't overly freezing.

 

Xena walked a few yards through the mud – the little bit of snow on the ground that morning had melted – and wiped her feet before entering the house.  Already, a wonderful smell permeated the big main room.  “Everybody's fed, watered, and bedded down for the night.”  Xena took off her huge fur-lined cloak and hung it on a peg next to the front door. 

 

“Good.”  Gabrielle, dressed in her warm buckskin clothing over her regular Amazon outfit, stepped over to Xena and gave her a long, warm hug.  “Dinner will be ready in half a candlemark.  Luckily, Jaros brought in a big store of fresh meat and there are plenty of other things in the cupboards too.  We're set for a while.” 

 

Gabrielle took Xena's hand and led her to a cushioned bench in front of the fire.  “Let's get you warmed up.”

 

Xena slowly grinned.  “You always do.”  She pulled Gabrielle in for a tender kiss that hinted at passion.

 

Gabrielle blushed charmingly as she went to get a blanket for Xena to wrap up in.  She then went back to the kitchen table where she was preparing two cups of tea.  She brought them back and settled herself next to Xena.

 

After taking a sip, Gabrielle said, “It's good to be back in Greece.”

 

Xena just grunted in agreement.

 

Gabrielle tried again to say what was on her mind.  Xena heard the sadness and sincere regret in her voice.  “I'm sorry we didn't make it back in time to spend Solstice with your mother in Amphipolis.” 

 

Xena looked directly at the young bard.  “Gabrielle, it's okay.  People need help even during the holidays and we always seem to be at the right place at the wrong time.”  Xena snickered.  “Mother will understand.”  Xena looked around the big room.  “Besides, this doesn't look like a bad place to spend some time.  I can remember Solstices where I was in camps, in caves, and other uncomfortable places with bad men for company.  This definitely beats that.”

 

“What was Solstice like for you when you were a little girl?”

 

Xena sipped at her tea and Gabrielle thought for a minute that she wouldn't answer.  Xena, however, was just composing her thoughts and trying to focus on some of the good things.

 

“It was actually pretty exciting. I mean, what child doesn't like to wake up and open presents?  Sometimes, it was just practical stuff like clothes, but it was mostly toys.  Then Mother would make us a special breakfast of these flat cake things and put jam on top.  We'd play with our new toys all day, then midday, we'd eat a real feast at a communal table with the inn's guests.  If they were travelers or locals who didn't have anyone to spend Solstice with, Mother invited them to join us.  It was a little like being with family and my brothers and I enjoyed it, too.  After dinner, Mother would close up and it would be time for just her, my brothers, and me.  We would sit by the fire drinking cider.”

 

Gabrielle gave a sunny smile.  “Sounds nice.”

 

“It was.  What about you?”

 

“Just like trouble, farm chores don't take a break just because it's Solstice.  After spending the morning taking care of the animals, we'd set up something very special.  All year long, we'd save candles that had burnt down almost to stubs.  On Solstice Eve, we'd make little piles of sand or dirt and make a sort of well in the middle where we'd place the candles and light it at night.  We'd make a row of them on each side of the pathway that led to our front door.  Ohhhhhh,” Gabrielle exclaimed dreamily, “It was beautiful!”

 

“I can only imagine.”

 

“It was supposed to guide Helios to our house in hopes of making our home brighter during the long winter nights.  You know, so he wouldn't forget us when Spring came.  I absolutely loved it because of the perfect peace I felt while watching the candles flicker, but Father didn't like that tradition.  He had as much reverence for the gods as you do.”  Gabrielle laughed.  “He tolerated it because it was just once a year and it made us happy, especially when times were tough and we might not have gotten toys for Solstice.  After we set out the lights, we'd have a good feast like you did. We'd rest, have some time together, light the candles, and then there was something else wonderful.  A few people would stand outside our door and sing Solstice carols.”  She smiled in fond remembrance.  “Ahhh, Nolon!  He was a great musician who had a very fine voice that carried beautifully on the crisp, clear air.  Everyone looked forward to seeing him at special gatherings.”   

 

Gabrielle faced Xena.  She had a look of wonder in her gentle green eyes.  “Sometimes, we didn't have much, but the lights and carolers always made it absolutely magical.”

 

Xena took the cups of tea and put them on a small table in front of her and held the blanket open in an invitation to snuggle.  Gabrielle settled against her and she covered them up.  Nothing further was said for a long time while they watched the fire, each caught up in wonderful memories and the warmth of each other's presence.

 

 

             *                *                *

 

On Solstice Eve Day, Xena visited the barn.  She fed and watered the animals and made sure they were fine.  She searched every nook and cranny in the barn for things she could possibly use to make Gabrielle a present.  She found a large old scrap of leather, an awl, leather cord, and  considered using her chakram as the template for drawing two circles, despite telling Gabrielle during a previous  Solstice that her chakram wasn't a decoration.  She reminded herself that she wasn't going to use it for a decoration.  After further investigation, she found a sack and smiled when she saw what was in it.  She got an idea for a few Solstice Eve surprises for Gabrielle.  Whistling, she got working.

 

After dinner, Xena rose.  “I'm going to go check on everybody.”

 

“You've been out in the barn all day.  I think they're fine.”

 

“Be back soon,” was Xena's only reply.

 

She found a small spade.  Halfway between the barn and the house, she made small piles of dirt on either side of an imaginary pathway leading to the house.  She accurately eyeballed where the piles should go.  After scooping out a little dirt from a pile's top to make a well, she placed a candle stub in it and moved on to the next.  By the time she finished, day was melting into night.  She went back down the rows lighting each candle stub.  It crossed her mind that Gabrielle might want to light some of the candles, but her desire to surprise Gabrielle replaced that thought. 

 

Xena stood at the end of the path furthest from the house.   She admired her handiwork.  The fading luminous cherry red of sunset and the lights' flickering glow as well as the silence around her revealed to her the magic Gabrielle talked about.  It was a special, absolute, sacred kind of peace that she'd only felt once before... being with Gabrielle.    

 

She took a deep breath and exhaled before singing a Solstice carol.  After a few moments, Gabrielle opened the door and came outside.  As Xena began a second carol, Gabrielle stared into her eyes and slowly walked down the path toward her, Gabrielle's hips unconsciously swaying a little.  She stopped short of Xena whose voice had just called to her like a mesmerizing siren's song.  The old wonder she'd felt once a year at Solstice came back.  

 

She spread her arms wide to generally indicate the lights.  “Thank you... for this,” she almost whispered.  The wonder, sincere gratitude, and lovestruck expression on Gabrielle's face left such an overwhelming mix of emotion in Xena's heart that it caused a lump in her throat.  She could only step into Gabrielle's arms and embrace her. 

 

They stayed like that a long time before Gabrielle spoke with wonder still in her voice.  “It's not about lighting the way for Helios this time.  You lit my way home.” 

 

             *                *                * 

 

Xena put on her warmest clothes and heavy cloak the next morning.  “There's a fence at the paddock that needs mending.”  Xena also planned on completing the Solstice gift she was going to give Gabrielle later that evening.

 

Gabrielle stuck her head out the door.  She sniffed the air.  “Don't be gone too long.  Smells like snow.  The big storm'll be here soon.”  Even though she was a little concerned about the storm coming up, Gabrielle was happy to get some time to finish her gift for Xena.

 

Xena smiled.  “I'll be back before you know I'm gone.”

 

Gabrielle grabbed a slice of bread and cheese and wrapped it up.  “Here, in case you get hungry.”  She handed the bundle to Xena and got a hug for her thoughtfulness.

 

In the barn, Xena finally tied the ends of the leather cord together and trimmed them.  She nodded approvingly to herself.  She wrapped it in the old burlap sack that she'd found the candle stubs in.  Then, she fetched some tools and a few boards and made her way down to the paddock.  Halfway through the job, the wind picked up unexpectedly, whipping her cloak around her.  A blizzard began, strangely unleashing blinding whiteout conditions almost immediately.  Xena, normally strong and sure, found herself turned around, unsure of which way to go.  She couldn't see the fence anymore and had no real frame of reference to guide her....

 

Back at the house, Gabrielle heard the storm blow up suddenly.  She put on her own warmest clothes and deerskin overcoat and poked her head outside.  The whiteout conditions unnerved her.  Then, she felt things were not quite right.  She thought Xena might still be at the barn.  “Xena!!!!” she yelled through the wind.  She didn't hear any reply.  “XENA!!!!!!!” she shouted with all her might.  She was positive Xena would've heard her if she was still at the barn. 

 

Gabrielle ran back inside and easily found the long rope she remembered seeing in a closet.  Quickly, she tied one end around her waist and the other end around the front porch's post.  She moved slowly step-by-step, concentrating on keeping oriented.  Periodically, she called for Xena....

 

Xena staggered on, groping around for the fence that should've been somewhere around her.  When she found it, she felt in which direction it ran and began plodding her way through the snow in the house's approximate direction.  She'd only gone a few feet when she noticed something almost impossible.  It seemed as if the storm parted for just a second, revealing something glowing even whiter than the whiteout around her.  Like a beacon, it pulled at her, guided her.  Soon, a figure with a shining blond head    materialized.  “GABRIELLE!!!!” she shouted as hard as she'd ever shouted when she'd led an army into battle.

 

“Xena?  XENA!!!!!!!!” Gabrielle's voice replied.  A few more steps and a beloved dark figure burst through the encompassing snow. 

 

“Thank the gods!!!!!!!!” Gabrielle exclaimed.  She ran at the figure until a jerk around her waist stopped her as she ran out of rope.  The dark figure strode fast towards her and caught her up in her arms.  After a kiss full of passion and relief, Xena pulled back.  “C'mon!” Gabrielle shouted over the storm.  With Xena's arm securely around her, she led Xena back to the house.

 

When they were safely inside, Xena raised her eyebrow at the rope.  “Nice trick.” 

 

Gabrielle explained, “I figured if it worked for Theseus in the labyrinth....”  She shrugged.  “How did you find your way back?”

 

“I don't know what exactly happened out there.  You lit my way home.”

 

For once, Gabrielle was at a loss for words.  She settled for, “Dinner is ready.”

 

Gales of wind blew against the house and shook it.  Here and there, drafts of cold air found its way in.  Somehow, the light from a few candles in the center of the table and the fire crackling in the fireplace acted as shields against them. 

 

The aromas in the house promised a good dinner.  As Xena seated herself, she saw the bread and cheese that made up people's usual meals.  In addition, olives, roast bird and roast rabbit, and whatever vegetables could be found covered the table.  “It looks wonderful,” Xena complimented Gabrielle.  She chuckled.  “You made enough to feed my former army.  Truly a feast of plenty!”

 

Gabrielle gazed into Xena's eyes with complete honesty in them.  “I was hoping it would be a Solstice feast like the ones you used to have.”

 

“I think it would rival them, yes, but it's more than just the food.  Even the sparest meal tastes like a banquet if you share it with good company and there's nobody I'd rather be with right now.”

 

Gabrielle smiled charmingly.  “I definitely could say the same.  Anyway, save room for dessert.  I made something special.”

 

“Oh?”  Xena detected something with a sweet, warm scent that permeated the house and made it seem like a real home again, not just an empty shell. 

 

“You'll see.”

 

They ate dinner, talking about their childhood Solstices while eating.  When they were done, Gabrielle found some bowls and spoons and ladled out something from the smaller cauldron.  Gabrielle pulled something out of a bag and garnished the dessert with them.  When she handed Xena hers, Xena peered into the bowl and smiled widely.  Gabrielle thought Xena was actually going to squirm with excitement.  Gabrielle had made small cakes out of sesame seeds and honey.  Xena put those to the side for a minute and dipped her spoon into the bowl's contents, stirring it a little as she did so.  She took a careful bite, savored it, and flashed her biggest smile.  “That's good!  Mother used to make this for Solstice, too.”  She analyzed the flavor.  “It was a little different from this, though.  She didn't put in these spices.  What's in it?”

 

“Obviously, it's rice, cream from the cow, honey, and raisins.  I also put in some of those spices we found in that spice market back East; cinnamon and nutmeg.”

 

Xena beckoned Gabrielle.  She went over and Xena pulled her into her lap and fed her a spoonful of the concoction.  Blonde eyebrows rose in surprise.  “Wow!  That is good!”

 

They took turns feeding each other until it was gone.  Then, it was time to open presents.  Xena gave Gabrielle hers in the sack where she found the candle stubs.  It was a huge sack that dwarfed the present inside and Gabrielle gave Xena hers in a clean cloth she found around the house.

 

“You go first,” they both said at the same time and chuckled.

 

“Go on,” Xena insisted.

 

Gabrielle brought it out of the sack.  It was a leather money pouch to hang on her belt.  “Oh, for the gods' sake!”

 

Her reaction surprised and dismayed Xena.  She was sure Gabrielle would love it.  “What's wrong?”

 

“Open yours.”

 

Xena unwrapped the cloth and found... a leather money pouch to hang on her belt.  She laughed.  “Well, they're both beautiful.”

 

“Yes.”  Gabrielle laughed too.  She listened to the lessening of the storm outside.  “It's probably time to check on the animals.”

 

Xena got up and trudged over to her cloak, not really wanting to leave Gabrielle. 

 

“Hold on.  I'm coming with you.  Argo needs her present.”  Gabrielle pulled an apple from her deerskin coat's pocket.

 

“She'll love it!”

 

The storm had dumped a lot of snow, but Xena forced her way through to the barn, Gabrielle following in Xena's footsteps.  Finally in the barn, Gabrielle went to Argo's stall.  “Happy Solstice, girl,” she whispered.  She patted and rubbed Argo and got a nose nudging her neck in return.  “You'll probably like what I found for you.”

 

If horses' eyes could light up in delight, Argo's did.  She happily munched on the apple.

 

“I'll let you finish up here,” Gabrielle announced to Xena.  “I have one more surprise for you.”  With that, Gabrielle returned to the house.

 

Gabrielle found a smaller pot she could put over the fire.  She poured apple cider into it and added a few more pinches of the spices.  She let it boil and steep for a while until Xena got back.  They wrapped themselves in blankets again and slowly sipped cider in front of the fire.

 

Finally, Gabrielle spoke up.  She looked appraisingly into Xena's blue eyes.  “I never could've imagined a Solstice like this when I was a child.  I'm here with a woman who is larger than life and could have anyone she wanted, yet she chose me.”

 

Xena's heart melted. “There is no other choice, Gabrielle.” 

 

She saw Gabrielle's gentle green eyes reflecting the firelight, making them sparkle irresistibly.  Xena marveled that no matter how self-confident she was, Gabrielle had moments that made Xena feel a bit shy like an awkward, fumbling youth with her first crush.  When Gabrielle initiated a kiss, Xena's heart raced.  They ended up making love on furs in front of the fire.

 

Drowsiness edged Gabrielle's voice as she snuggled with Xena afterward.  “Solstice Eve and today were wonderful!”  Xena murmured in agreement.  “But we can only visit the Solstices and traditions that we loved.  There is no going back.  Here and now... this is the Solstice I can give you.”

 

 

Back to the Academy