Disclaimer: All the characters in the following story belong to Universal Studios and Renaissance Pictures. No copyright violations were intended. This story was written purely for entertainment purposes and not for profit of any kind.

Subtext: Nah

Sex: Nope

Violence: A little but nothing graphic…

Note: This little story was inspired by my view of the friendship shared between Gabrielle and Xena, and the sacrifices they make for each other from day to day…

Note: I would love to hear what you think about my story. My email is saivschakram@yahoo.com. Please be gentle with your comments because this is my first attempt at fan fiction…

The Cherished Second Chance

~Preface~

Gabrielle had always begged Xena to treat her like the adult she had become…Xena had always been very protective and would never leave her alone for more than a few minutes…The one time Xena gives in to her constant begging to do something by herself Gabrielle is killed…

~First Chapter~

*Xena, Ephiny, and a few of Gabrielle's sister amazons standing near the funeral pyre of Gabrielle*

Xena: How could I have let this happen? She needed me and I wasn't there. I never should have let her go into that village alone…The one time my being a warrior and friend truly counted, I failed (Is suddenly overtaken by a wave of emotion and struggles to stay composed)…Life will never be the same…I will never be the same…*Reminded of Reality by Ephiny's voice*

Ephiny: I…I don't…know what to say…

Xena: I do....Gabrielle is dead, and it is my fault…

Ephiny: No Xena, it isn't your fault and we all know that. You have to stop blaming yourself…

Xena: Ephiny, if it wasn't my fault then whose was it!? She was killed because I wasn't there….I could have saved her if I had only been there…I never should have let her go alone…(speaks with anger mixed guilt)*Ephiny puts her arm on Xena's shoulder really not knowing what do say*

Ephiny: Xena, you have to stop blaming yourself…this is the last thing Gabrielle would have wanted…She wanted more independence…you just did what she wanted by letting her go alone…

Xena: Ephiny, just stop!

Ephiny: Xena life must go on…we'll all get through this…together…

Xena: No Ephiny! The last thing I need right now is togetherness…I just want to be alone

Ephiny: You know that sounds like a good idea…you need time to mourn…you can use Gabrielle's hut if you like…

Xena: Yes her hut…and I need her ashes so I can take them to her family…

Ephiny: I will have two of my sister's put her ashes into an urn and bring it to your hut…oh and Xena please know you may stay here as long as you like…

Xena: I don't think that will be necessary…(speaks in a cold manor)…*Xena walks from funeral pyres*

Xena: what am I going to do…by the Gods how did this happen…

*Xena in hut*

Xena: (laying on mat like bed stares up at top interior of hut) Gabrielle…I'm so sorry…I'm so so sorry…(becomes blurry eyed from the tears building up in eyes)…If there was any way I could do this day over I would…I would be there…there's no way I would lose you again…

*Suddenly broken from thought process by a brisk wind*

Xena: Is anyone there?! You know I'm really not in the mood for jokes, so if you know what's best for you…you'll leave…RIGHT now…

*A shimmer of light in the form of a person appears before her eyes*

Xena: Ares!? No much too much of an entrance for you…Aphrodite?!..No much too clever for you …Ok fine I'm fooled…Who are you?

Unknown Form: Fear not Xena…I am only here to help…

Xena: How can you help me!? I just want Gabrielle back!!

Unknown Form: Xena, a long time ago…a fierce army came into my village and burnt and killed everything in sight…

Xena: Oh…I…I'm sorry…

Unknown Form: All that happened that day wasn‘t horrible…One child made it safely out of the village…my son, and because of you…A soldier had my baby boy in hand and was ready to throw him into the fire…but you stopped him…you risked your life to save my little boy…

Xena: Happy I could help…I'm taking it that you didn't make it out alive…

Unknown Form: No and that's why I'm here…You're right I was killed that day and am now a spirit…but because you saved my son I want to help you…I see that you have lost someone very special to you, and I want to help you get them back…

Xena: You could do that?! (suddenly filled with excitement)

Unknown Form: Yes, but it won't be easy…I can't promise you that it will work…

Xena: I will do anything!!

Unknown Form: Ok well here's what you must do…go to the Temple of the Fates and summon them to come down…tell them Lancen has given you his wish…

Xena: Your wish?

Lancen: Yes, when one is killed before their time…like me in the fire…you are given one wish that you can give to someone…this wish will give you the key to time…

Xena: The key to time?

Lancen: Yes…don't worry about it just go…you don't have much time…

Xena: thank you…I'm sorry I really don't know what to say…

Lancen: You saved my son…no thanks needed…

*Lancen disappears into the darkness and Xena is left alone*

Xena: Gabrielle, don't worry. I'm going to get you back if it's the last thing I do…

*After gathering up her things runs out of the hut right as Ephiny is entering her hut*

Ephiny: Xena are you ok!? Do you need something…

Xena: No Ephiny…I must go…Gabrielle is waiting for me….

Ephiny: No Xena…Gabrielle is dead…you must rest…

Xena: No!…I was visited by a spirit who gave me the key to time…I can save Gabrielle…

Ephiny: By the God's! Is there anything I can do?!

Xena: No just stay here and tell everyone their queen is not dead….

Ephiny: Ok! Be careful Xena….

Xena: I will…

Ephiny: please let Xena be right…

*Xena runs out to Argo and takes off towards the Temple of the Fates village into the woods leading to the temple*

Xena: Come on Argo….let's go get Gabrielle….

*After a lengthy ride she comes up on the temple* After a moment of relief she enters*

Xena: Mighty Fates…I ask in the name of Lancen that you come before me…

*The Fates materialize before her*

The Mother: You

The Sister: Called

The Crone: Us?

Xena: Yes I was visited by Lancen…he gave me his wish…

The Mother: You

The Sister: Want

The Crone: Gabrielle

Xena: Yes…where is she?

The Mother: Her spirit is here…

Xena: She's here!?

The Crone: Yes, but she doesn't know who you are…

The Sister: Or your purpose…

Xena: She is headed for Oblivion then…

The Mother: Yes…soon her soul will become part of Oblivion…

Xena: I have to stop her spirit from entering…

The Crone: There is only one way to stop her…

The Sister: You must relive the past…

The Mother: You must protect her from harm while in the village…

The Crone: If you can protect her while in the village, her soul will re enter her body permanently…

Xena: So you are going to send me back to the past? I can change what happened….

The Fates: Yes…her fate is in your hands…

Xena: I'm ready…

*A great light flickers and Xena is back at their campsite*

Xena: Gabrielle?!

Gabrielle: Yeh? (Gabrielle enters the site after finishing her morning bath)

Xena: Oh Gabrielle!! (runs and gives her a huge hug and just won't let go)

Gabrielle: What's this for? (said in a surprised, giggly, and quite girly way)

Xena: I'm just so glad to see you!! (continues death gripping Gabrielle in the bear hug)

Gabrielle: Well Xena I'm glad to see you too…You think you might want to let go now?

Xena: Yes of course, sorry about that…

Gabrielle: I decided to go ahead and have a bath because you didn't look like you would be waking up any time soon…the water was great!

Xena: It was? I'm glad to hear that…

Gabrielle: Well since I'm all ready and you said we could have fun today and just do whatever I think I'm going to go into the neighboring village, get a bite to eat, and maybe even shop for a while…

Xena: Whoa wait…shouldn't I go with you?

Gabrielle: No…I'll be fine…besides I know how much you hate shopping…you just stay here and do warrior stuff…go kill a bird or something…(giggles)

Xena: Very funny…(gives a sarcastic grin)…No actually I was wanting to come with you…who knows I may even shop a little…

Gabrielle: The mighty warrior princess shop?! Ok now that's a first….are you sure your ok?

Xena: Yeh I'm great…So I guess we're off… I'm asking for it…she's going to have me shopping every village we come by now…

*Xena and Gabrielle enter village*

Gabrielle: Ooooh Awww look at all the shops!! Oh Xena this is going to be so much fun!!

Xena: I can hardly wait…again I am so asking for it…I can forget though this is for Gabrielle' life…I can't leave her side…

*Gabrielle walks up to many shops and looks at the items* Walks up to one particular shop displaying a pile of scarves…she happily plunders and tries a few select ones on*

Gabrielle: So pretty…(puts one on and poses)…how do I look?

Xena: Great…but why do you need it? maybe if she decides to get this she will have had enough shopping and we will be able to leave…

Gabrielle: It's called an accessory…you don't have to need it to buy it…

Xena: Oh sorry…so since you have your scarf I guess your ready to go eat right…

Gabrielle: Hmm… I guess I could take a short break…you know I'm always up for some good food…

Xena: Yeh always…

*Xena and Gabrielle enter a nice little tavern*

Xena: This place looks like it might have some decent grub…what do you think?…hmm and it looks pretty safe…but in this situation I know I can't be too careful…must not let Gabrielle out of my sight…

Gabrielle: Oh Yeah this is perfect!

Xena: Just remember these dinars have to feed us for the next few days too…

Gabrielle: Always worrying…we always have money when we need it…for once let's not worry about money and enjoy ourselves…

*Tavern worker approaches*

Tavern Worker: What can I get you girls?

Xena: Gabrielle you ready to order?

Gabrielle: Yeh thanks, I want some chicken gizzards, a few drumsticks, umm some of the stew that guy over there has….oh and I definitely gotta have some of those cherries and grapes….

Xena: (Amazed again by how much she eats) By the God's this girl eats more than I do…

Tavern Worker: And you?

Xena: God's I think she ordered enough for the both of us…

Gabrielle: No just enough for me…

Xena: Alright fine…just bring me some ale and a few drumsticks…

Gabrielle: Oh yeh, I'd like some water too please…

Xena: Yeh I think that's wise…we wouldn't want a drunk bard running around now would we?

Gabrielle: Ha ha very funny…there's nothing wrong with wanting to stay sober…and anyway at least I won't be the one with the horrible headache tomorrow…

Xena: Well actually I usually have one everyday anyway from listening to chatter so much…

Gabrielle: Hey what are you getting at?

Xena: Nothing…nothing at all…

Tavern Worker: Ok …so I'm taking it that's all you want

Gabrielle: Yes sorry you'll just have to excuse her…she's always like this when she misses breakfast…

Xena: (sarcastically) Yeh…so you better hurry with our food….

*Tavern worker walks away from table*

*A Few minutes later*

Xena: You know since you ordered so much our next few meals are going to have to be hunted for…and I know how much you hate it when I “butcher” innocent little animals…

Gabrielle: That won't be necessary because I will catch our food….

Xena: (raises eyebrows at her) Yeh and you'll get beat up by a rabbit again…

Gabrielle: Hey that was no ordinary rabbit!! Anyway…let's just eat…

*Tavern worker brings them their food and they eat and pay*

Gabrielle: Wow that was really good!!

Xena: I'm glad you liked it…so are you ready to leave this village yet? We could go hunting or fishing or go for a swim?

Gabrielle: No I don't think so…I already had a bath remember…anyway I still haven't bought everything I want yet…

Xena: You want to buy more?

Gabrielle: Yeh of course…you didn't think a scarf was all I was getting did you?

Xena: Sorry what was I thinking…for Gaia's sake she sure does like to shop…well then I guess it's back to the shops..

Gabrielle: Yes back to the shops…and who knows we may even find you something…

Xena: No I don't think so I will just watch you look around…

Gabrielle: You don't know how much it means that you would actually come along with me while I shop…I know this isn't easy for you…so thanks!

Xena: No problem…if she only knew…

*They browse for awhile and Xena begins to become a little irritated that she still hasn't found the guy who first killed Gabrielle*

Gabrielle: Well now that I have my new scarf, boots, sack, and outfit I think I'm ready to leave…

Xena: (gives a weak smile and mumbles “finally” under breath)

Gabrielle: What was that? (gives the eyebrow)

Xena: Nothing…

*Xena and Gabrielle head towards the town exit, but are stopped in their tracks when a boy runs by and grabs the bag of Dinars Gabrielle had in hand*

Gabrielle: My dinars!!

*Before Xena even starts to register with what's going on Gabrielle darts for the boy*

Gabrielle: Stop you thief!! (Throws her staff at him and knocks him flat on his face)

Xena: Kid you asked for it…good throw Gabrielle…

*Xena runs over and locks him in a position on the ground*

Xena: Ok now I think you know what you have to do…give the kind little lady her purse back or else…

Gabrielle: Kid you should know better than to steal!

Boy: If you would just get off of me I would explain…

Xena: It's going to take a very good explanation to get out of this one kid…(gets off him and helps him up)

Gabrielle: Ok start explaining…

Boy: Ok well I don't like to steal honest…I do it because if I don't bring some kind of money or good back home to my uncle every day he will kill me…ma'am I don't want to die…

Xena: Who does? I think I need to have a little talk with this uncle of yours…

Boy: I would be careful if I were you….he is a very dangerous man…

Xena: Well looks like he will meet his match because I am a very dangerous woman…

Gabrielle: Yeh she has definitely had her share of dangerous men… (giggles)

Xena: (gives an unappreciative glare at Gabrielle)

Gabrielle: Well it's true…anyway little boy what's your name?

Boy: Glacius

Gabrielle: Ok then Glacius you come with me while Xena has a little chat with your uncle…

Xena: Glacius who and where is this uncle of yours?

Glacius: His name is Mason and he is out back behind that old blacksmith shop…

*Xena walks toward the blacksmith shop not even thinking twice about leaving the boy and Gabrielle alone* Gabrielle and the boy walk over to a tree and plop down by it*

Xena: (peers around side of shop and starts heading for the back) Oh Mason….come out, come out wherever you are…

Gabrielle: So Glacius how old are you?

Glacius: 13 summers

Gabrielle: Wow you're nearly a man…

Glacius: I am a man!

Gabrielle: Oh I'm sorry of course you are…

~

Xena: (Almost completely on the other side of shop) Oh Masey…you'll come out if your smart…but then again stay because I have all day….and I will find you….(realizes she doesn't have all day in any sense because her job is to protect Gabrielle and at the moment that isn't happening)

~

Gabrielle: Anyway I am Gabrielle…I'm sorry we had to meet under such crazy circumstances…

Glacius: Yeh me too…oh man when you hit me with your staff I dropped my shoe…I forgot to grab it…

Gabrielle: Hey don‘t worry about it I‘ll get it for you…wait right there and I'll be back…(walks up towards the front of the shop where he supposedly dropped his shoe and begins to look around for it)

Glacius: (says to self) Oh how stupid can Gabrielle be I've got easy access to her money now…(signals to a few barbarians in the distance) She will be sorry for hitting me with that staff when they get done with her….that's if she makes it….

~

After searching long and hard for Mason with no success Xena is hit full out with the gut feeling that Gabrielle isn't safe and that somehow this boy is linked with the killer…As she enters the scene she sees Glacius trying to find the money bag while the barbarians are charging straight for Gabrielle who at the moment doesn't realize that she is in such grave danger…

~

Barbarians: You will die for messing with our little barbarian prince!! (they all leap towards her)

Gabrielle: (realizes what is happening and looks up in shock to see a group of angry men coming her way) Xena!?

*Xena enters scene*

Xena: (throws a nearby stick at Glacius that knocks him out; and her chakram at a group of the men running for Gabrielle) Ay-yi-yi-yi-yi!!

This gives Gabrielle the chance to get up and start kicking sorry barbarian butt…which she does very well. She grabs her staff and knocks the stuffing out of a few of the weasels while Xena is still pummeling through the remainder of them…In a very short time Xena and Gabrielle had defeated all the men…

Xena: (runs over to Gabrielle) Gabrielle are you ok?! (clenches her in a very relieved yet frantic hug)

Gabrielle: Yeh I'm fine…is Glacius ok? Did you get to talk with his uncle?

Xena: Yeh he's ok….he just better be glad I didn‘t get my hands on him!! Oh and there is no uncle…Thank the Fates your alright…

Gabrielle: What do you mean? Those crazy barbarians tried to kill us and his uncle will if we don‘t stop him!

Xena: No Gabrielle those Barbarians work for Glacius…there was never a Uncle Mason…

Gabrielle: Why would barbarians work for a kid?

Xena: He isn't just any kid….he is the son a their leader…so that makes him a barbarian prince…he was here in town practicing his barbarian skills…they were here to make sure no one got in his way…

Gabrielle: That was a close one…I thought I was a goner there for a minute…

Xena: You were at first…but then well I got another chance…and umm…

Gabrielle: Huh? What are you talking about another chance…and why did you thank the Fates when you saved me back there?

Xena: Nothing, don't worry about it. I will tell you all about everything on the way to the campsite…

Gabrielle: You're going to tell me a story?

Xena: Yeh I guess you could say that…

Gabrielle: Xena the Battling Bard…this is great we can write stories together and tell them everywhere we go…

Xena: No I don't think so…let's keep my name and hobbies like they were….

*This little story ends with our warrior and bard exiting the village; talking about what happened; and Xena just thinking over and over how thankful she is that she had another chance*

The End~

By: Chancercmp  2-22-05

Return to the Academy