Name: Cheyne Curry

Email: Cheyne255@gmail.com

Title: The Taking of Gabrielle (Part Two)

Disclaimer:  Xena, Gabrielle and all recognizable characters from XWP belong to Universal and Renaissance Pictures. The unrecognizable ones are mine. No infringement intended.

Fandom: Xena: Warrior Princess/Conqueror

Rating: R

Warning: This is an F/F tale. If that's isn't your cup of ouzo, move along, there's a straight tavern down the street.

Violence Warning: Yes, there is violence and sex. It is a Conqueror story, after all.

Summary: Xena the Conqueror enlists Ares help to get the one thing she doesn't have yet and ends up getting the only thing she ever needed.

Spoiler or Other Information: My first (and I am sure ONLY) attempt at a Conqueror fic. This is NOT canon.

Go To Part 1

*****

 

The Phalanx ^

Part Two

*****

Her eyebrow may have been arched in amusement but the deadly tone of the Conqueror's voice prompted the smug look on Darphus' face to fade. “Oh, I see,” he said, finally.

“What do you see?” Xena asked him as she reclaimed her place at the head of the table of charts. She began to study the mapped out information again.

“This is what you want. You want me to die,” Darphus accused.

Xena barely glanced his way. “If I wanted you dead, Darphus, you'd already be grasping forearms with Hades. You brought this challenge onto yourself. I'm tired of your constant defiance and disrespect.” She finally looked up at him. “I'm giving you the chance to earn what you take for granted. It's a fair wager. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a battle to plan and prepare for.”

“You're ordering me to leave?” His tone was incredulous. “Shouldn't I be in on the strategy?”

“Not on my strategy. You'll have enough to do organizing your own tactics for survival. I'll include you if you make it to Babylon.”

When I make to Babylon, it will no longer be your war. It and you will be mine,” Darphus spat.

“You're boring me, Darphus. Put your dinars where your mouth is. We'll be ready to ride out by tomorrow's eve. You will leave at the same time. I believe you have your work cut out for you. You are dismissed,” she said, nonchalantly.

Darphus sputtered in anger and stormed out the door. The room was deathly still.

“Before I continue, I need to know who here sides with Darphus?” She looked around the room but no one spoke or raised a hand. “Oh, come on, now. I know who his most loyal and trusted pals are. Don't insult me by thinking I believe you wouldn't double-cross me in a heartbeat at the first opportunity. I'm giving you the chance to leave on your own. Don't make me point you out specifically because if I do it will not bode well for your immediate future.” Her eyes swept the room slowly, not stopping anywhere in particular. By the time she finished, one colonel, three battalion leaders, two captains and two advisors had left the room.

“Autolycus,” Xena called to her chief of staff. The tall, handsome former, self-appointed, ‘King of Thieves' approached her.

“At your service,” he said and executed a slight bow before her.

She crooked her finger at him, inviting him closer. She then put her lips close to his ear. “I want your men to round up all those who just left and have them incarcerated until tomorrow night when Darphus leaves. They will be accompanying him. Also, put immediate eyes on Lady Gabrielle. Clearly she has gained some enemies through no fault of her own.”

Autolycus nodded. “By your will, my liege.” He took a step backward, turned and headed for the door, leaving the hall without another word.

Xena then focused on one of the guards but it was clear she was addressing everyone in the chamber. “They are not to enter this hall at any time without my permission. If I find out any of them have had any access to this room or any of our maps, plans or charts, I will consider that a betrayal of the Realm and the people involved will be punished accordingly.” She let her words sink in and turned, looking directly at one of the generals. “Really, Dagnine?”

Everyone in the great hall focused his or her attention on the decorated officer. “Sorry, Lord Xena?” His expression was one of surprise and then guilt.

“Not yet but you will be. You should have left with the others.”

“No, my Lord, you must be mistaken.” Sweat began to bead on his forehead and over his upper lip.

“I may be mistaken but I'm never wrong,” Xena stated. “Do you deny that you are one of Darphus' most devoted confidants?”

“But, my Lord, you are my supreme commander. I have always been faithful to you over Darphus.” There was just enough tremor in his voice to give him away.

“No, Dagnine, you are committed to anyone who can promise you the most praise and authority. Darphus has been leading you around by the balls for years. I know of your late night conversations with him about insurrection and overrunning me and the Realm.”

“Mutiny? My Lord, I resent that and am shocked that you would believe such a thing!” Dagnine shot back, indignantly.

“You might have had me fooled if I hadn't heard some of it with my own ears,” Xena said, calmly.

“That's…that's impossible!” Dagnine was now pale.

“Clearly not, General,” Xena told him.

Dagnine's attitude changed from affronted to incensed. “It was Phaedrus who told you, wasn't it? You didn't send him to our quarters for punishment, you sent him to be a spy. He is as good as dead now, Xena. And you may as well have killed him with your own hand.”

“It wasn't Phaedrus, Dagnine. At the time of night you and Darphus would have these little chats, Phaedrus was already back in his own barracks, probably sound asleep. Even my hearing isn't that good. No, you were sold out by your own voice and by your peers.”

The doomed general scanned the room. He glared into the faces of the officers he thought he knew and trusted. “You idiots!” he thundered. “You just blew your only chance to get out from under a ruler gone soft! Do you want a leader who commands and continues to conquer or one who mothers you and thinks wars are no longer necessary?”

“If I thought wars were no longer necessary, I wouldn't be in this room with you now,” Xena said, unruffled. “Wars need a purpose or what's the point?”

“The point is if we were the unquestionable power of the known world, the Persians wouldn't be knocking on our back door, demanding to join the party! Join? Hera's tits, Xena, they want to be hosting the party!”

“Do you think that just because you are constantly performing acts of aggression against anyone who doesn't agree with the code of the Realm or thinks they can do better that it stops the one or two from other lesser recognized or autonomous territories from believing they can step up and become suzerains that can build forces and conquer the known world? We are always going to have enemies and challengers. It's the way it is. Someone will always be dissatisfied and think they can be a better leader,” Xena said.

“That's why you have a war and kill them all before they have a chance to become a dissenter!” He argued, heatedly. “Shouldn't this Darius or Codomannus have been eliminated before he had the chance to build an army right under our noses? If you had been the conqueror the Realm needs and expects you to be, this never would have happened. So much for our ‘covenants' with Aegyptos and Persia. I agree with Darphus. You've lost your edge and it has cost us. We'll be lucky if any of us come out of this alive,” he said, bitterly. He looked around the room again at the officers gathered there. “Now…if you know what is good for this empire, you will walk out that door with me and join Commander General Darphus to lead and rule this military the way it should have been in the first place!”

Dagnine appeared to be genuinely shocked and disappointed when no one took him up on his offer. Everyone remained where they were. He shook his head. “You fools! She doesn't care about you anymore! The only thing she cares about now is that rebel peasant split-tail in her bed and she's sacrificing the Realm because of it!”

In a flash, Xena had unhooked the chakram, which hung on the hip of her uniform and let it fly. It cleanly and quickly severed Dagnine's head at the neck, slicing through bone as though it were churned butter. The flat, round metal, disc ricocheted off the wall at nearly lightening speed and spun back to Xena, where she caught it neatly and wiped the blood off it with a cloth from the table. She replaced the chakram on her belt. The unique steel and brass circle with a razor sharp edge had been a gift to her from Ares who had been bestowed the Indus-based, throwing weapon from Vishnu. By her using the chakram, without saying a word, it was a stark reminder to everyone in the room that their leader still had the God of War's favor.

“Anyone else agree with those sentiments? Tell me now if any of you honestly think I am not doing what's best for the Realm. If you speak up right here and tell me why you believe what Darphus and Dagnine say is true, I will spare your life. You are my best of the best; if I don't have your support and trust, we will never win this battle and we will lose the Empire.” She looked around the hall, seeking out the faces of those who had any hint of doubt to their expression.

Finally, the clearing of a throat was heard and a female with the rank of captain stepped forward.

“Yes, Narkissa?” Xena asked the woman who was head of the conquerors' second battalion of warriors.

“I think I speak for those of us left when I say General Darphus is not a leader, my Lord. He's an executioner who would shepherd us all to our deaths. We're standing by you, Lord Xena.” Her statement was followed by a round of cheers and applause.

Xena nodded her thanks. “Then let's not waste anymore time.” She motioned to one of the door guards, who quickly approached. As quietly as she could, she said, “I need you to find Phaedrus and tell him I request his presence.”

“Yes, my Lord,” the young man said. When there were no more forthcoming instructions, he said, “Request his presence where, my Lord?”

“He'll know.” She glanced over at the decapitated head and body of Dagnine. “And get someone here to clean up this mess.”

“Yes, my Lord.” The guard bowed and ran out of the chamber.

*****

The door to the Conqueror's bedroom opened and a woman of middle-age poked her head in. “Xena?” When there was no response, the auburn haired woman with blue eyes a shade or two darker than the Conqueror's, stepped inside and closed the door behind her. She studied the interior of the first room where the table was. She then looked over at the huge, unmade bed. She shook her head and tsk'd. “This room is a mess! What have the maids been doing all morning?” She sighed in exasperation and began to pick up clothes that had been left on the floor, along with two damp bath linens dropped in a pile just outside the divider screen. She had her hands full when she turned around to place the items where they belonged and came face to face with two surprised green eyes.

Startled, the older woman let out a shriek, which frightened Gabrielle, who then screamed at and with her. All of the items in the older woman's hands were thrown in the air every which way and the two occupants of the conqueror's bedchamber stepped back from each other. The door opened and both guards plus Karpos charged in with weapons at the ready.

Seeing that everything appeared to be fine and no one seemed to be in any danger, Karpos relaxed and signaled to the door sentries to do the same. “Lady Cyrene? All is well?”

“Yes,” she said, her hand still over her heart. “This maid scared me though,” she said, nodding her head toward Gabrielle.

Both Gabrielle and Karpos spoke at the same time in an attempt to correct Cyrene's assumption but it fell on deaf ears.

“I don't know what's with you young people today,” Cyrene muttered and stooped to pick up the clothes and towels she dropped. “Can't find decent help anymore.” She then looked up at Gabrielle. “Come on, young lady! I'm not here to do your job for you.”

“Um, Lady Cyrene, she's not -” Karpos began but Gabrielle held up her hand, in a motion to indicate he should stop speaking.

“It's okay, Karpos,” Gabrielle said and smiled at him. “You can go back to your post.”

“Yes, Karpos,” Cyrene said, waving him away. “The maid and I have it covered.”

Karpos looked at Gabrielle, then shrugged and escorted the sentries back outside.

“Who are you?” Gabrielle asked Cyrene.

“I'm the Conqueror's mother,” she said, almost indignantly.

Gabrielle's mouth dropped open. “The conqueror has a mother?”

Now Cyrene did become indignant. “Of course! Did you think she was hatched? Who are you ?”

“I'm Gabrielle.”

“You must be new. Where'd you learn how to clean a room, Gabrielle? Or did you just get here? You're a beautiful young woman and I would hate to see my daughter lose her temper with you and punish you for not doing your job,” Cyrene prattled as she began to put things in their rightful place.

Just then there was a knock on the door and it swung open. “Demetria is here to clean,” Karpos announced, then shut the door after Demetria entered.

Demetria curtseyed in front of the older woman. “Lady Cyrene, good to see you again. Did you enjoy Crete?”

Cyrene stared blankly at Demetria, then looked at Gabrielle, then refocused on the chambermaid. “Demetria, good to see you again. Wait… you're here to clean?” When Demetria nodded, Cyrene eyeballed Gabrielle. “If she's here to clean, who are you?”

“I'm Gabrielle,” the young bard repeated.

“Yes, I heard you the first time, I'm not daft. Who are you to Xena? Nobody seems surprised – other than me – that you're in her bedchambers without being accompanied. She doesn't even allow that with her body servants. Is Demetria training you?”

“Oh, no, Lady Cyrene,” Demetria said. “Lady Gabrielle is -”

Lady Gabrielle?” Cyrene interrupted. “Where are you from?”

“Poteidaia.”

“I wasn't aware there were any families of nobility from that area. Who are you parents?”

“My parents are deceased.”

“My condolences. Who were your parents?”

“Herodotus and Hecuba.”

“How were they nobility?”

“They weren't.”

“Then how…?” Cyrene closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. She then refocused on Gabrielle. “Let's start over, shall we?”

****

“If Codomannus has conquered the Land of the Pharaohs, which is here, why are we sending troops over here, toward Gaugamela?” One of the brigadiers asked Xena.

“He may be arrogant but he's not stupid. He's not going to bring a war to the capitol. He's going to select a battleground that is advantageous to his army and its tactics.”

“So why here?”

“His biggest defense, other than mass, is scythe-wheeled chariots so he needs long, flat land in order to get the most effectiveness. This is the best area for defeat.”

“For him to defeat us?”

“No, for us to defeat him. We know his strategy and why he'll use it. So, we'll draw his troops to the right by shifting them away from their flat terrain.” Xena indicated the path with her finger. “When they find themselves on rocky, uneven, mountainous ground, where the chariots will be useless, that should frustrate them enough to allow us the upper hand. At least psychologically, which is half the battle. Then we can split and bring a battalion around to attack them at the rear flank where he is the weakest.”

“I've heard he can dispatch biremes and have them battle ready by the time we can get troops to the water.”

Xena looked at her maritime commander. “And we have triremes that are faster and more agile. I have our builders working on quadriremes as we speak.” She momentarily studied the older, bearded man in a different color dress uniform. “When did you hear this, Praxis, and why wasn't it reported to me?”

“I reported it to General Darphus nearly a moon ago, my Lord,” Praxis said. “He assured me it was being dealt with.”

Xena absorbed the ramifications of her nautical leader's words. “I was not informed.” She looked over the crowd. “Has anyone else reported information to Darphus in the past moon that I should know?” It infuriated her to have to ask but clearly Darphus had decided to keep her out of the loop. She may have to kill him herself.

Narkissa stepped forward once again. “My third unit of scouts reported to me that there is likely to be a Persian build up in Hellespont. And there seems to be major forces gathering in Zelea.”

“Define major,” Xena said.

“Over ten thousand.” Narkissa shrank back at the sharp glare sent her way by the Conqueror. Finally, finding her voice again, she said, “I also advised General Darphus less than a moon ago. He told me the same thing he told Praxis.”

“Hellespont…isn't that the strait that connects the Sea of Marmara to the Aegean?” Xena asked. Before anyone could answer, she located the site on the map. “How did they get that close without my knowledge?” She roared.

“Most likely Darphus, my Lord,” Narkkisa answered, unnecessarily.

“He kept telling me you were, um, occupied and that he'd handle it,” Praxis said.

Xena took a deep breath to calm down. Had she been so obsessed and distracted with impregnating Gabrielle that she lost sight of her responsibilities as conqueror? She mentally shook her head. No but she had been guilty of giving Darphus too much rope and he was apparently trying to hang her with it.

“We're going to have to cut them off at the Granicus River. Praxis, send word to have all our ships hit all of the Persian-occupied ports on the Syrian coastline. We'll cross at Hellespont and then march north to surround the Persians.” Xena turned to Pantheras. “I need you to be ready to leave for Macedonia by dusk. I'll send a group with you so report to me before you leave.”

Pantheras nodded. “By your will, Lord Xena.”

After he closed the door behind him, Xena said, “Settle in, people. We have a lot of groundwork ahead of us. I'll give you the general orders and then I want you to break into your specific command groups and work out a strategy for your battalion's capabilities. I will meet you here right after my eve meal. Food and drink will be sent up from the kitchen. You are not to leave until you all have your riding orders.”

“By your will, Lord Xena,” the occupants of the room chorused as Xena left.

****

Phaedrus paced as he waited for the Conqueror to meet him in the forward turret. For her to send the message with no forthcoming destination, he knew it was serious. What could have happened for her to pull him off punishment and indicate he needed to report to a safety area?

“Hiding, Phaedrus?”

The voice was not Lord Xena's but he did recognize it. He turned to face a clearly angry brigadier, Cambyses. Phaedrus suddenly figured out why he was ordered to the upper section of the front tower. It must have somehow been made public that Darphus and a handful of his cadre were planning an uprising to forcefully take the Realm from the Conqueror. “I'm not hiding, Sir.” Phaedrus tried to temper his voice so that it would not tremble. “How did you know where I was?”

“I followed you. After we were kicked out of the war chamber, I figured it had to be you who tipped off the Conqueror. So I waited and, sure enough, after I trailed the sentry who contacted you, you led me here.” Cambyses took a step toward the young soldier. “You shouldn't have betrayed us. You picked the wrong team to be loyal to.”

“I didn't betray you, Cambyses. You think the Conqueror would take the word of a lowly guard over officers in her armies? I know how to stay alive and that's to keep my nose out of everyone's business but my own.”

“Nice try. But you are the only one of her close command who could have done it.” Cambyses unsheathed his sword. “Choices have consequences, Phaedrus, and when I'm finished with you, I will kill you mother and then find and butcher your siblings. It will hopefully be a lesson to anyone else who –”

Before he could finish, his cavalry saber was taken from his hand and thrust through him. He lurched forward, the point of his blade protruding from his chest. His eyes bulged, his throat gurgled and his body went limp as the sword was pulled from his body. He slumped to the floor, revealing a pissed off Conqueror standing behind him.

Phaedrus fell to his knees. “Thank you, my Lord,” he said, in a relieved breath.

“Get up, Phaedrus. We don't have a lot of time.”

As Phaedrus rose, Xena tossed him the bloody weapon. He caught it by the hilt. “What's going on, my Lord?” he asked, as they left the turret.

“I have a job for you.”

“You mean I'm off shit duty?” he asked, a hint of a smile gracing his face.

“Don't be so happy, Phaedrus. When you find out what this entails, chances are you'll want your shit duty back.”

****

Gabrielle found the Conqueror's mother to be animated and delightful now that Cyrene had relaxed and understood that Gabrielle was exactly where she was supposed to be. They settled into a discussion, where Cyrene told of spending the last fortnight with the sage, Hermes Trismegistus, who had held a fourteen day retreat in Crete, teaching scholars and interested parties about horoskopos.

“What is that?” Gabrielle asked, with sincere interest.

“Oh, it's fascinating stuff,” Cyrene gushed, excited to suddenly have a new pupil of her own. “Of course you've heard of Decanic astrology?”

Gabrielle shook her head. “No, but I've heard of Babylonian astrology.”

“Yes! Well, horoskopos is a blend of both of those teachings.”

“What's the difference?”

“Well, unlike earlier astrological philosophies, Hermes applies the use of the ascendant as an hour marker and the twelve celestial houses that are rooted in it.”

Gabrielle cocked her head in question. “Um…?”

“It uses the positions of the stars, say, when you are born, to signify the most important characteristics and changes of focus.” Gabrielle blinked at her, still puzzled. “Okay, take Xena, for example. She was born when the constellations and stars were aligned to form the winged ram of the golden fleece.”

“And what does that mean?”

“It defines her whole character. She is impulsive, impatient; she cannot be idle. She bores easily, is frustrated by tedium. She's like a flame, always moving and heading in new directions. Unless she loves what she's doing.”

“Like conquering?” And sex, Gabrielle thought, not daring to say that to Xena's mother, of all people.

“Like being a warrior. Then she has infinite patience for whatever needs to be done.” Cyrene's tone moved to a mumble. “No patience whatsoever with anything I ever asked her to do.”

Gabrielle stifled a giggle at the now exaggerated gestures Cyrene began to make. She was glad Xena's mother seemed so at ease now. Or maybe it was the wine.

“What's so funny?”

Gabrielle shrugged. “Just hearing stories about the Conqueror being a little girl and a young woman. She sounded so…normal.”

“I guess that depends on your definition of normal. Oh, she was always a headstrong girl. Whatever she set her mind to do, she put a hundred percent into it, even if it was wrong,” Cyrene said. “My daughter is of the idea that she will always succeed.”

“Why?”

“Either because she doesn't believe there is anyone that can stop her or because she always gets there first.” Cyrene sighed in mild frustration. “People born under the alliance of the winged ram and golden fleece always seem to be up against challenges that demand action, quick responses and nerve.”

“Well, that does seem to describe her.”

Cyrene nodded. “She's a natural explorer and adventurer. She always had such high energy that she was hard to keep up with, impossible to slow down, and defiant if anyone – including me – tried to control her.” Cyrene poured herself another glass of wine. She waved the container at Gabrielle and arched her eyebrow in question.

Gabrielle shook her head. “I'd better not. I'll have some later.”

“Suit yourself.” Cyrene topped off her chalice and set the bottle down. “I can't believe my daughter finally wants to start a family and didn't even tell me.”

“Maybe she was waiting until it happened before she said anything,” Gabrielle offered.

It? I'm sure ‘it' has already happened, several times, knowing Xena. I'm well aware of my daughter's reputation between the bed linens.”

“No, not that, ” Gabrielle said, suddenly turning several shades of pink as bright red tinged the tips of her ears. “I mean ‘it' as in conception.”

“Ah. Yes, that makes more sense.” Cyrene studied Gabrielle's blush and smiled. “Gods, Gabrielle, could you be any more adorable? Wherever did she find you?” Before Gabrielle could answer, Cyrene held up her hand. “I know. Poteidaia.”

****

Xena entered Perdicus' cell and sent the guards away. It was not protocol but no one questioned the Conqueror's orders or actions. Perdicus, at first, appeared nervous, as though he thought his time was up. Then he took a deep breath, as though to calm himself. “What do you want?”

Normally, Xena would not tolerate such open disrespect. But she had a plan for her young lover's former intended. “Gabrielle tells me that you were friends with Alexander of Macedon.”

Perdicus' focus was suddenly sharp at the mention of his old friend's name. “What do you know of Alexander?” He asked, his tone nearly a sneer.

Xena smirked. “He works for me.”

Perdicus' shock was palpable. “That's insane. He would never work for you. He believes in justice and equality among all. He would never tolerate working for someone who owned slaves!”

“I don't own slaves.”

“What do you call me?”

“A prisoner.”

“A prisoner? Yet I have no freedom and must do your bidding at your will.”

“That defines a prisoner. The bidding you do for me is gardening. You till my soil and plant crops for the sustenance of palace residents and staff. You are paying for the crimes you have committed against the Realm by giving back to the Realm.”

“What crimes?”

“Sedition, for one. Conspiracy, for another. No, if you were a slave, I'd have sent you to the mines.”

“If you have no slaves, then who works in the mines?”

“Miners. Actually prisoners whose crimes are much worse than yours but they get lightly compensated with compound housing they share with their families.”

“And the people who serve your every whim in the palace?”

“Staff.”

“You have body slaves.”

“I have people in my employ who are paid to sexually service upon request. I have no body slaves.”

“What about Gabrielle?”

“Gabrielle is not a slave, she is also a prisoner repaying her debt to the Realm.”

“By being your whore?”

Xena stepped close to Perdicus and put her face right up to his. Her voice was low but held a dangerous warning. “That is your former betrothed you are vilifying. If you wish to keep your tongue in your head, you will remove that – or any descriptive word like it – from your vocabulary.” She took a step back when Perdicus gave her a barely perceptible nod. A drop of sweat that dripped silently down his forehead onto his cheek told her that she now had his undivided attention. “I find it interesting that I have more respect for Gabrielle than any of her so-called friends. I don't dole out respect freely, Perdicus, it has to be earned. If I can see what a decent person your former fiancé is, even with her being my sworn enemy, what in Tartarus is wrong with you?”

He looked down at the floor in obvious regret. When he glanced back up at her, his eyes were glassy. “You took her from me,” he said, his voice raw with emotion. “We were going to spend our lives together, have children. You ruined that.”

“Did I? I'm not the one who made the decision to get involved in the Resistance. Had you continued with your plan to just be a farmer with a wife and family, you might be on your way to fulfilling that little dream right now. But you didn't. You both chose to get involved in a situation that you knew was high-risk and one of the probable outcomes of that involvement was death. The least that could happen would be imprisonment. You and she made the decision to participate anyway.”

“Because we believed in it,” Perdicus told her.

“Why? Why did you believe in the Resistance? What were you told? What were you promised if my empire was overthrown?”

“Freedom.”

“You had your freedom. It was you, not I, who chose to give it up.”

“You call what we had freedom? We were constantly under your guard, obligated to give more to the Realm than we could keep for ourselves. The only difference between then and now is that I could live at home!”

“Poteidaia was under more restraints – or should have been – because it had once been an outpost.”

“And then you burned it to the ground! You killed innocent people! How much more punishment did you need to shower on us all, my Lord? ” Perdicus was spitting with ever word, his anger was so consuming. When he became aware of that, he took several deep breaths to regain some semblance of control.

Xena folded her arms and waited for him to calm down. “You eat well as my prisoner, do you not?”

His nod seemed reluctant. “Yes. So?”

“So where do you think the food comes from?”

“The land we prepare for gardening.”

“No, that's for the palace residents, guests, staff and soldiers.”

“Are you telling me I eat food from Poteidaia? It would be rotten well before it got here.”

“No, the ingredients for your current meals come from either Lechaeum or Cenchreae. But in Poteidaia, any excess food needed for your village came from Olynthus. Your surplus went to Mende. It was a ‘pay it forward' kind of thing. Each village fed the next village and the next village, etcetera. All roads lead to Corinth.”

“So you can feast on our labor?”

“You need to keep up. We eat strictly on what's grown, harvested, caught or slaughtered on palace grounds.”

“Look, I may be an uneducated farm boy but even I can add up that the amount of food that comes from Lechaeum or Cenchreae would still be too much to feed just the prisoners. Unless it feeds all of Corinth.”

“No, Corinth feeds all of Corinth. Actually what the prisoners get are the leftovers from Lechaeum or Cenchreae. The widows and orphans of war receive first pickings on market day.”

Perdicus blinked in confusion. “You mean you make the widows and orphans buy their groceries?”

“No. They have already sacrificed too much. They get fed for free.”

Perdicus was silent, seeming to let this news sink in. He appeared completely nonplussed by the idea of it all.

“What's the matter, Farm Boy? The Conqueror can't be benevolent and take care of her own?” Xena asked, amused by his befuddled expression.

“I…I didn't know you had a program such as that…”

“Of course not. You Resistance batch buy into the propaganda of those who set their own agenda.”

Perdicus was shaking his head before Xena finished the sentence. “No. No, the Resistance is noble. We're fighting for the greater good.”

Xena rolled her eyes. “What's with you peasants and the ‘greater good' crap? I'm sure you have been led to believe the Resistance is noble, but let me assure you, the lot of you have been indoctrinated to the whims of whomever recruited you.”

Perdicus voice was suddenly raspy. “No. That's…that's not possible.”

“Who recruited you?”

“Eusebius.”

“Ah. Well, that explains the brainwashing. Although I have to agree that Eusebius was a charismatic and persuasive young man and, potentially, a decent administrator, he had delusions of grandeur. He wanted to build an Army of his own followers. He had dreams of defeating me and taking over the Realm. The thing about Eusebius was he was a fabricator to you, to me and to himself. He presented himself as a better leader with impressive ideas that would benefit all of his followers. He pandered to whichever territory he rode through, making promises he never had any intentions of keeping. You think I'm bad? You'd already be dead under the rule of Eusebius.”

“No. Eusebius was not a dictator. And he never would have allowed the Conflagarus.”

“The Conflagrus was Eusebius' idea. That's the reason he requested to be moved from Poteidaia. He didn't want to get found out.”

“You are lying,” Perdicus said, defiantly.

“Why would I waste my time lying to you? Eusebius was becoming way too adept at playing both ends against the middle. He was not the hero or savior you all thought he was.”

“You would never let an underling get that far in a betrayal. If you're so good, how was he able to get away with it?”

“I got complacent and allowed weak people to make strong decisions. It won't happen again.”

“It doesn't matter. Your rule is still evil and you promote tyranny. I have seen it with my own eyes.”

“What have you seen?”

“The murder of decent people by your order. The removal of livelihoods of people in desperate need of means to support themselves and their families. Heads of people who have defied you staked outside the palace. Crucifixions.”

“I will admit that my ways are sometimes not pleasant -”

“Sometimes?” Perdicus repeated, laughing incredulously.

Xena ignored his interruption. “You are almost as naïve as Gabrielle. You know nothing of how to command or how to run an empire. Were you so beguiled by Alexander and Eusebius that you conveniently forgot the bloody battles they had their hands in?”

“I had no prior knowledge of Alexander's place in your Army and Eusebius had to do some horrible things so that you wouldn't suspect him,” Perdicus said, petulantly.

Xena smiled. “Of course he did.” She leaned against the cell door. “I was going to try and sentence you but I've come up with a better idea.”

“Let me go?” Perdicus asked, feigning hope.

“In a way, yes.” She could tell she shocked him into silence. “I'm going to send you to Alexander and let him decide what to do with you. You can join him and fight with him, which I understand was always a dream of yours, or you can attempt to double-cross us and die.”

“But -”

“You will not stay here. I want you away from Gabrielle.”

“Because she still loves me and not you?”

“Because you are a distraction and an unnecessary one. I already have enough prisoners to work in the fields. Your talents are being wasted. Gabrielle tells me that you are good at tactics and planning. She also said you are quite adept at map reading and navigation. I can never have too many cartographers.”

“I will not work for you.”

“Yes, you will. You're already working for me. And you will continue to do my bidding or I will torture your beloved. And her innocent sister.” Xena shot Perdicus a menacing glare, daring him to talk back to her. “So, tonight, you and Phaedrus and a few others, under the command of General Pantheras, will ride to Macedonia. I'm sending a messenger out tonight so Alexander will be expecting you and have his orders.”

“I will die first,” he stated, dramatically.

Xena rolled her eyes again and pushed herself off the wall. “Oh, cut the crap. You can take the coward's way out or you can be a man and fight your way out. Alexander will be leading an offensive against the Persians. You can ride beside him and defeat them or you can run the risk of the Persians winning and taking you as prisoner. You think being my captive is bad? You won't die as their prisoner; they'll just make you wish you had. And if they really get lucky and their battle reaches Corinth and they overthrow me? Your precious Gabrielle and Lila will become part of a harem. Or worse. I know you believe your former betrothed is treated as nothing but my whore but she's not. She is well fed, well clothed, well regarded, never whipped or abused…she's basically treated like a queen in my palace. If she falls into the hands of the Persians? She will be raped, beaten, chained and live in squalor…every breath she takes will be at the whim of her master. She will be the very definition of a slave in the worst possible form.”

“So I will basically have to decide who is the lesser of two evils?”

“Perdicus, I'm running out of patience with you. Have I treated you horribly while you've been here? You work shackle-free, outside in the fresh air every day. You till soil, pretty much what you would do if you had become the farmer your father was. You get a bed to sleep in, clothes to work in and 3 meals a day. We allow you to clean your cells and to bathe in the stream after a full day. The only thing you don't have is your liberty.”

“And Gabrielle.”

“Gabrielle is not an option. I am giving you the opportunity to do something important. If Alexander reports back to me and says you have been a productive part of the campaign, I will grant you your freedom. But you cannot come back here and try to claim Gabrielle for your own. I'm giving you the chance to pay off your debt to the Realm in a constructive way.”

“Why? I'm nothing to you.”

“You are important to Gabrielle. And I'm trying to show her I'm not the unreasonably ferocious, sadistic beast legend has painted me to be.”

“How can you say that? You captured and raped her.”

“Gabrielle has a purpose here. A significant one. And I hardly raped her. When the time came, she willingly gave herself to me. That's just an example of how rumors and lies get started. You weren't there and did not witness what happened between us, so you imagine a negative scenario and spread your speculation. Your Resistance gossip has been your own worst enemy. I'm doing you a favor, Perdicus. Don't make Gabrielle regret it,” she said, her tone a low warning.

“Why Gabrielle?”

Xena shrugged. “Right place, right time.”

“So you didn't target her specifically because she was a part of the Resistance?”

“No, that was just an added bonus.”

****

“Before Xena attracted the eye of and gained the favor of Ares, she was just a young, rambunctious village girl. Foolhardy. Stubborn. She would often get into situations that became threatening, simply because she would plow headfirst into the middle of it before she looked where she was going. But she always saved herself – and usually her younger brother, Lyceus – because she relied on courage she really didn't have to bluff or bully her way out. She was very protective of Lyceus and she was his hero.”

“Where is Lyceus now?” Gabrielle asked, innocently.

Cyrene drew in a deep breath and blew it out slowly. Her eyes instantly glistened. She looked down at her folded hands. “Lyceus died many years ago.”

Gabrielle's hand covered her mouth, as tears pricked the corner of her eyes, also. “Oh, Cyrene.” She reached over and placed her free hand over Cyrene's folded ones. “I'm so sorry.”

Nodding, Cyrene wiped her eyes with her cloth-covered shoulder. “For so long, I blamed Xena.”

“Why? Did Xena… did she kill him?”

“No. I used to believe that she was responsible, though. We didn't speak for a long time.”

“What happened?”

“As a bard, you've never heard this story passed around?”

Gabrielle shrugged. “I've heard lots of stories about the Conqueror.” She let go of Cyrene's joined hands. “I'm slowly discovering that what I've been told about your daughter has had a smidgen of truth to it and the rest seems to have been nearly all embellishment. The most popular one about her beginning was that she was a product of a union between a siren and Hades.”

“Well, I'm not a siren and her father was definitely not Hades. But he was one Tartarus of a lover,” Cyrene said with a slight blush.

“That fig doesn't fall far from the tree,” Gabrielle mumbled, mostly to herself.

“What was that, dear?” Cyrene leaned closer.

“Nothing,” Gabrielle said, quickly. “So, um, what happened to Lyceus?”

“Ah, yes, that. When our village was invaded by a warlord named Cortese, Xena rounded up a small group of men – mostly farmers, merchants, fishermen and sons – to try and fight his army off. Lyceus was right by her side. My oldest son, Toris, he did not fight. He led the rest of the villagers to hide. Xena never forgave him.”

“Why didn't she and Lyceus go with Toris?” Gabrielle asked.

“I begged them to go but Xena instinctively knew that when Cortese was finished laying waste to Amphipolis, he would have hunted us down like hounds and slaughtered us. Well…maybe the men would have been murdered. I'm not sure the women would have been as lucky. She seemed to perceive that when the rest of us couldn't.”

“But she was so young. How did she know what to do or that she could do it?”

“Her father was a soldier, as was his father before him. I can only believe it was instinctual with her. It was enough to attract the attention of the God of War. Anyway, after Lyceus and others had been cut down by that warlord's order, she retreated over the bluffs. She was bent on revenge for her brother's death so she counterattacked and led what was left of our village to victory. It wasn't enough. By then, she was obsessed with Cortese and kept pursuing him until she lost who she really was and became just like him, a prisoner herself in the cycle of vengeance and violence.”

Gabrielle was momentarily silent while she absorbed Cyrene's words. “Wow,” she said, quietly. “I guess in those circumstances, it's a lot easier to see how she, you know…”

“Became the Destroyer of Nations? I know. It took me a long time to understand that she was right, even if it resulted in the death of my youngest son. Everyone in Amphipolis held her responsible for the death and destruction and they never forgave her. She could never come home. Until she was crowned Ruler of the Known World and then, no one would have dared kick her out. But she never came back.”

“How – when did you reconcile with her?”

“Oh, it was a long time. Her former betrothed, Maphius, was the one who talked some sense into me. I sent word to her that I would like to see her. It took a while but she sent for me. I've lived in here ever since. Well, when I'm not off on an adventure. Being the mother of the Conqueror does have its perks,” Cyrene said and smiled, taking a gulp of wine.

“Wait – Xena was betrothed?”

“Oh, yes. Aren't most daughters before their fourteenth birthday? Weren't you?”

“Well, um, yes, until recently,” Gabrielle said and thought about Perdicus, fondly. “We were going to be married the day the Conqueror came to Poteidaia and took my sister and me away.”

Cyrene placed her hand over her mouth. She dropped it and reached for Gabrielle's hand. “Oh, Gabrielle, I'm so sorry. What happened to your fiancé?”

“She took him, too. He is now a prisoner, working the gardens and fields.”

“That must have been so hard for you. Do you love him?” Cyrene asked. Gabrielle paused long enough for Cyrene to gauge her hesitation. “Ah. So, like Xena, it was an obligation, not a desire.”

“No, I loved – love – him…just not the way I felt I should have. He's always been one of my best friends and, although that might have made a marriage easier, it really wasn't what I wanted.”

“But you would have married him anyway,” Cyrene stated.

“Yes. The commitment had been made. Siding with the Resistance was the only thing I did that wasn't expected of me.”

Cyrene's eyes went wide. “You're a member of the Resistance?”

“Well…not anymore, obviously.” Gabrielle was shocked when Cyrene threw her head back and burst forth with a full belly laugh.

****

It had been at least six fortnights since the incident of Gabrielle's refusal and Xena's exasperating meeting with Ares. The more frustrated Xena was, the surlier she became. Gabrielle was a healthy young woman, Heron had verified that and she had certainly grown into an eager, willing and reciprocal bedmate. Yet no sign of a pregnancy. Now Xena was leaving for a suspected brutal campaign and, unsure of how long she would be away, Ares “gift” would lose power in a little under three moons if Gabrielle didn't conceive.

It wasn't that Xena objected to sex with Gabrielle, in fact, she quite enjoyed how the young bard had blossomed under her tutelage, but she didn't need Gabrielle for casual boinking, she needed her for procreation. If Gabrielle didn't - or couldn't for some reason – get pregnant, she would be indebted to Ares in ways she would not welcome. There had to be some kind of catch other than the initial stipulation that Ares neglected to mention even if he denied it. If she could only figure out what that was.

She had tonight and tomorrow to try and impregnate Gabrielle and if it didn't work, she'd have to have another little chat with the God of War.

Following her saving of Phaedrus, sending him, Perdicus and a platoon of soldiers off to Macedonia and another meeting with Autolycus, everyone was on high alert. The tension in the air in the palace was unmistakable as word got around that several higher ranking members of the Royal Command Force had been jailed and would be ejected from Corinth the next evening to follow a now disgraced General Darphus through the desert on a ‘shortcut' to Babylon.

Xena trusted Autolycus implicitly to keep the restlessness of those not in the know under control and the questions from the upper echelon to a minimum. Autolycus had been caught by Xena, in the early days of her warlording, trying to steal a priceless artifact from her possession. Pissed off that he had the audacity to try and pilfer something right out from under her nose, yet impressed with his skills and undeniable allure, she worked out a deal with him. He would work for her or die by her sword. Over the years, he proved to be a loyal employee and trusted friend…as much as Xena would put her trust in anyone. He quickly maneuvered himself up the ranks until Xena appointed him to a position that was well-worth his time and considerable artistry, as he soon discovered being the Conqueror's chief of staff was not a job for the dense or faint of heart.

Auto was not now, nor had he ever been, the best or bravest troop in the Realm but he could pretty much convince anyone of almost anything. He was certainly proficient with a sword but his chosen weapons were charm and dexterity. He may not have been able to personally defeat trained soldiers but he had the confidence and ability to get them to follow him anywhere and do his bidding, especially if it had the approval of the Conqueror behind it.

Xena had no problem with the plan of leaving Autolycus in charge of Gabrielle's safety while she was away. Hopefully she wouldn't be gone that long. She wasn't about to underestimate Codommanus or his Army but she had a league of extremely competent military tacticians and fighters in her service. Once the offensive plan was set, it would be up to her officers to adjust and adapt the battle strategy to fit the changes of war. She didn't need to be there to lead. However, it always was better for morale to physically see her putting her life on the line like the rest of them.

After she ordered food and drink to be brought to the great hall and ensured all plans were running on schedule, she ran up the steps to her bedchamber. She would bathe, have supper and a quick tryst with Gabrielle, then return to her war room to go over and approve everyone's agenda. It was going to be a long night.

****

Xena opened the door to her private quarters and suddenly, shockingly, found herself with an armful of bard. Startled, it took Xena a few minutes to realize Gabrielle, who seemed to be hanging onto her for dear life, was tearful. Xena did a quick visual assessment of the room to make sure there weren't any immediate threats.

When she sensed nothing out of the ordinary – except for Gabrielle fiercely hugging her – other than her mother, sitting at the table, apparently passed out, clutching a goblet of unfinished wine, she let her arms slide around the young bard's shoulders. “What's wrong?”

“I never knew your life was so hard. I never thought beyond my own hatred of you to ever think there were actual reasons for you being who you are.”

Xena looked at the blonde head tucked under her chin, confused, then her eyes narrowed. “Mother…!”

Cyrene reacted to the tone of her daughter's voice and lifted her head up. She seemed to have trouble focusing on the tall figure several steps away from her. “Dahhhter,” she slurred, matching Xena's tone.

“Just exactly what have you told Gabrielle?”

“Oh, Gab. Such a swee', wunnaful girl. Why dint you tell me you were gonna make me a gramma?”

Xena stepped back and looked at Gabrielle, questioningly.

“I, um, thought she knew,” Gabrielle said, avoiding the eyes of the Conqueror.

“Now, don' you get mad at her, I forced it outta her,” Cyrene tried to sound indignant but failed, miserably.

“Really? How? By making her continuously uncork my wine reserve?” She gently moved Gabrielle aside and walked to the table. “Mom, you need to go sleep it off now,” Xena told her, patiently.

“Aren' you ‘appy to see me, dahhter?”

“Yes, Mother, I'm glad your home. You need to go to your room now, though.”

A salacious grin adorned Cyrene's features. “Ah. Got it. You and the lil' woman need some alone time. Well, far be it from me to innerfeer with that soooooo,” she intoned while she attempted to stand, “I'll just be goin' to my room.” When she lost her balance, Xena was right there to catch her. Cyrene patted Xena's hand. “Thank you, sweetie. Mummy's just a little -”

“Drunk,” Xena finished. She picked her mother up and carried her to the door. She looked at Gabrielle. “Are you drunk, too?”

“No, my Lord. I chose not to imbibe with your mother,” Gabrielle told her.

“Wise choice,” Xena muttered. She kicked her foot against the door and when it opened, she proceeded to hand her mother off to Karpos. “Get her back to her room and stay there in case she needs anything.”

“By your will, “ Karpos said and nodded, leaving with his charge.

Xena turned her head to the left and saw Giorgios. “Who is your relief? Myron?”

“No, my Lord. Myron's wife birthed their second son this afternoon. He traded shifts with Herakles. It was all okayed through Chief Autolycus, my Lord.”

Xena was trying to get a picture in her head of who Herakles was. Well, if Auto approved it, he must be okay. “No one is to have access to Lila's room except me or Gabrielle. No one. If you think you need assistance to follow that order, or to pass that order along, you let me know right now.”

Giorgios swallowed hard. “No, my liege, I'm good.”

“You better be,” Xena warned. She stepped back inside her chamber and closed the door.

****

“Just exactly what did she tell you?” Xena asked, as Gabrielle helped wash the dried blood off the Conqueror's skin. The water temperature in the bath was a soothing heat that instantly relaxed the sovereign.

“She just told me a little about your childhood. And Lyceus.” Gabrielle watched Xena's eyes darken at the mention of her brother's name. “I'm so sorry, my Lord. I would be driven crazy if anything ever happened to Lila.”

“I know, Gabrielle. I remember how you were that first night.” Engaging the sympathetic green eyes, Xena said, “It was a long time ago.”

“But it still drives you,” Gabrielle said, rhetorically. When Xena didn't respond, Gabrielle said, “I know it would me.”

Xena gently took the sponge from Gabrielle's grasp. “No, it wouldn't,” the Conqueror said, softly, as they looked in each other's eyes. “You would have found a way to forgive and adjust.”

“Maybe.”

“Definitely.”

“Is that such a bad thing?”

Xena caressed the side of Gabrielle's face. “Not for you, young bard. Not for you.”

****

There was something different about their sexual coupling that evening. It was deeper, more connected than ever. It didn't feel like the routine procreative act they got down to after all the carnal whims had been satisfied. It actually felt like…making love. Xena couldn't deny an intense bonding with Gabrielle that she had never felt before.

The conqueror kissed the top of the worn out, slumbering bard's head and slipped out of bed. She watched Gabrielle sleep as she dressed quickly and left the bedchamber for the war room. When had she begun to think fondly of this young woman? She shook her head as though that would clear all affectionate thoughts out of her brain. She then strode with purpose down the hall. She had a war to orchestrate.

She listened while every section leader explained the strategy they had put together for their area of expertise and how they were going to implement Xena's previous war tactics and battle drill into their defensive and offensive attacks on the Persians. The conqueror concentrated on the logic of every report and the rationality of why a particular anticipated plan of action would work.

“We thought we could start in this area with a single envelopment,” Narkissa said, pointing to a tract on one of the maps. “We looked at the scrolls of study from some of the Persians' previous battles and the establishment of a strong, hidden force behind a weak flank could prevent them from carrying out their own single envelopment.”

Xena looked at the various maps. “And attacking from the back?”

“Yes, it would give the smaller wings no escape, especially in the valleys. They'd be surrounded and we could move in on their weakest.”

“Unless they are like me and the weakest pepper the middle and my strongest encircle them,” Xena challenged.

“Okay,” Narkissa said and grinned. “Fair enough. In that case we employ a double envelopment. Both flanks defeat their opponent opposite and launch a rear attack on the enemy center.”

Xena looked at the maps again. “Good. That will probably work in the valley zones.” She looked to the next in line. “Praxis?”

“There are fewer options by sea, Lord Xena, but that doesn't mean we are impotent.”

Xena's eyes fell to Praxis' codpiece, then rose up to meet his gaze. “Good to know.” The command brigade expelled relieved laughter at the conqueror's good humor, especially under the circumstances.

“We have the Granicus and Euphrates Rivers as well as the ports at the Mediterranean, Black, Red and Caspian Seas,” he continued. He indicated the wooden pieces on the table map, representing his ships.

“Hmmm, I think we should stay light but guarded on the Red. It's leagues from our major points of focus, but better to be prepared.” Xena said. “What about the Arabian Sea?”

“It will take our boats a while to get there but that area can also be covered, if needed.”

“I would like to dispatch a fleet there. Get them started tonight. Send half through the Sumarian passway to the Euphrates and have the other half circle the peninsula so that when the Persians start to flee, we're there to greet them.”

“By your will, my Lord,” Praxis said and stepped back.

Xena turned to her third forces battalion commander standing to her left. “General Ceyx?”

The balding, barrel-chested, much decorated officer pointed to a wall map to the right of him. “If we come at the Persians from here, we can attack from a defensive position, establishing a strong advantage in case there are back-up troops.”

Xena studied the topography of the chart he indicated. “Hmmm. Come up with an alternate plan. In this terrain, the defensive can quickly become too passive and result in ultimate defeat. I've seen it happen. I think, in this case you might be better with an indirect approach. Have a minority of your troops do a little demonstration in front of your opponents while the majority of your force advances from a hidden area and attack the enemy's flank.”

Ceyx hesitated for a moment while he digested the conqueror's formula. He nodded, enthusiastically. “Yes, my Lord. I can see where that would be more beneficial.”

Xena inclined her head to a tall, blonde woman with impeccable military bearing. She was dressed differently than the other officers in the room. She may have been less armored than they were but she was no less lethal. “Cyane, as Amazon emissary, I am confident you have come up with a plan to protect your sisters in the threatened regions.”

“Yes, my Lord.” Cyane moved closer to the table where the main map was. “If the Persians try to invade our southeastern contingent we will be prepared to separate them at this gap, which would allow us to penetrate the center from the trees when they reunite in the middle here.” Her finger indicated which area she referred to. “We can drive quickly with our best striking power and shock them with the surprise of attacking from above.”

“Excellent,” Xena said, pleased with what her elite force had come up with. Her eyes roamed over the more graphic section of the larger map on the table. “Let's not forget that, although his ground forces will be massive, Codomannus has trained war elephants, along with platoons of scythe-wheeled chariots. Alexander will be leading the largest detachment from Macedonia to Grannicus, then Issus and then to Gaugemela. We will fortify Alexander's army, join up with him at different areas ensure his safety. If that means putting forth a feigned withdrawal by having your frontal forces fake a retreat, drawing the Persians in pursuit and then launching an assault with your stronger, hidden forces, to keep the main cavalry squadron formidable, it's what we will do to conquer Persia and keep it out of Codomannus' hands.”

“Lord Xena, I don't mean to echo Darphus but…why Alexander?” Ceyx asked, cautiously.

“Alexander's father, Phillip, as you know, was one of my mentors and I am one of Alexander's. Alexander has a brilliant, tactical mind. He instinctively understands war and combat. I want to test his leadership. I don't think he will disappoint me.”

“Do you think having him in charge of such a large offensive, when he is untested, is the best way to see if he will rise or fail, my Lord?” Praxis asked.

“Make no mistake, I am in charge. I will only relinquish charge when I am dead. You are my best of the best. Never forget that. You will all be there in different capacities, using your unparalleled skills to defeat the Persians, under my ultimate order. Alexander will be the one taking the lead for a few reasons. First, do you think Codomannus will send out his best if he believes I am not leading the battle? He's never heard of Alexander. He may decide to not even show up. So, if we lose to Codomannus, the defeat will be Alexander's. If we win, which we will, the victory will be ours.”

“Ah, yes, my Lord. We should have known there was a method to your madness,” Ceyx said, and laughed.

Suddenly, the air seemed to vibrate with intensity as Xena turned her piercing gaze to him. The room went deathly still. “Are you calling me mad, General Ceyx?”

The smile left his face, instantly replaced by a look that said he may have just overstepped his boundaries. Ceyx stood up rigidly straight. “No, my Lord, I would never -”

Xena took a step closer to him and mustered up her most menacing expression. As Ceyx's left eye began to twitch, Xena said, “I'm sure you would but I know you'd never be stupid enough to say it to my face.” She glared at the general but decided to end the charade. She then grinned. “Of course, I am mad. Mad as in angry not crazy and I'm sure that's what you meant.”

“Yes, Lord Xena,” Ceyx said, relieved.

She clapped him on the shoulder then addressed the occupants of the room. “You've all got your divisions to get ready. You have until Apollo's chariot finishes its journey, tomorrow's eve. I will meet with the generals for a morn meal to firm up our deployment.”

“By your will, Lord Xena,” everyone chorused. They then began to file out of the room silently.

****

Her enthusiasm should have been over the top at how well her army's division commanders had paid attention to her instructions and enforced maneuvers during their constant training.

Instead, her mind again drifted to the young bard. Even after Xena told Gabrielle that she would be leaving for at least a moon to lead a savage campaign that might result in much bloodshed, maybe even her own, Gabrielle had been encouraging. Even after she told Gabrielle that Perdicus had been released and sent to fight with Alexander, she responded with, “You've allowed a dream of his to be realized. How could I be angry or upset with that?” Even after explaining to Gabrielle what could happen if the Persians won, the young woman still professed her faith in the Conqueror's ability to set everything right and to come back. Gabrielle's unfaltering optimism was contagious and that was probably the second best going away gift Xena could receive. The first, of course, being news of an heir on the way. Which was not to be, as the bard started cycling again early the next morning.

Xena awoke to Gabrielle's absence and the sound of sniffles emanating from the direction of the bathing area. This was unusual as she always awoke first, with the smaller woman in her embrace and still lost in Morpheus' Realm.

The Conqueror quietly lifted the covers and slipped out of bed. She leaned against the archway, watching the bard softly cry, her face buried in the palms of her hands. “What's wrong?”

Xena's voice startled her. Instead of looking at the Conqueror, Gabrielle stared straight ahead with an air of dismay. “I have failed you again, my Lord,” Gabrielle snuffled. “I am not yet with child.”

The disappointment was detectable in Gabrielle's voice and Xena's demeanor but Xena wasted no time approaching the distraught bard. She squatted down to be eye level with Gabrielle and took her hand. “We'll keep trying.” Her tone was gentle, encouraging.

“You're leaving tonight. Are you going to take me with you?” Gabrielle asked, wiping her eyes with her free hand.

“No. I can't risk something happening to you.” She kissed Gabrielle's palm in a comforting gesture. “I will send for you.”

“When?”

“When I feel it is safe to do so.”

“But what if it's too late, Lord Xena?”

Xena rested her forehead briefly on the back of Gabrielle's hand, then refocused on her. “You scream my name in the throes of passion. I think in the privacy of this room, you can dispense with the formality.”

“Thank you…Xena.” She bowed her head. “I don't understand why I haven't conceived.”

“Nor do I. We'll figure it out, Gabrielle.”

Questioning, watery eyes engaged Xena's steady, stern gaze. “You're not angry?”

“Not with you.” She stood up, still holding the bard's hand. “Come back to bed.”

*****

Xena had taken Gabrielle one more time before morning, which helped ease the cramps the bard suffered. The young woman slept while Xena bathed and dressed. When Chrysanthe knocked on the bedchamber door to signal the Conqueror that her morning meal was on its way, Xena slipped out, quietly, closing the door behind her.

“My Lord,” Chrysanthe said and bowed her head, while the door guards snapped to the position of Attention and stood stock still, waiting to be acknowledged.

Xena placed her index finger to her lips in a signal for quiet. “Chrysanthe, Lady Gabrielle is asleep. She had a bad night and is not feeling well. When the food gets here, just have them take it in, set it on the table and leave.”

“Yes, my Lord. What about your meal, though? Surely, you need to eat,” Chrysanthe said.

“I'll grab something in the Great Hall, along with everyone else this morning.”

“As you wish, my Lord,” Chrysanthe said.

“Also, ask Eirene to make some feverfew tea and bring some to Gabrielle.”

“Yes, my Lord,” Chrysanthe replied, bowing her head once more and taking a step back.

Xena was about to tell her guards to carry on, when she heard a noise to her left, catching motion out of the corner of her eye. She turned her head slightly and observed Herakles edging furtively out of Lila's room. In a flash, Xena had Herakles by the neck and lifted him off his feet, against the wall. “Just what in Hade's name do you think you're doing?” Xena asked through clenched teeth.

A dark stain appeared and spread on the young soldier's trousers. “Nnnnothing, my Lord.”

“What were you doing inside that room, Herakles?” When he seemed too terrified to speak, Xena tightened her grip. “If I go in that room and find that you have done – or allowed to have done – anything to that girl in there, your life is forfeit.”

“Yes, my Lord,” he strangled out. “She's safe, I swear,” Herakles squeaked out.

“Why were you sneaking?” Xena demanded.

Just then, Giorgios came charging down the hall toward Lila's room. “What happened?” he asked, panicky, looking directly at Herakles.

“We're about to find out,” Xena said, dropping Herakles to the floor. She glanced over to Chrysanthe. “Get me Autolycus, at once.”

“Yes, my Lord,” she answered. She set her tray down on a table outside the door and hurried away.

The Conqueror reached down, grabbed a handful of Herakles uniform and stood him up. She slammed him against the door and it flew open from the brunt of his weight. As he crumpled to the floor, Xena and Giorgios stood in the doorway. They saw Lila and Agathon frozen in the midst of getting dressed. Quickly assessing the situation, Xena surmised that Lila was not in any danger.

“Um…good morn, My Lord,” Lila said. She held a bed linen close to her otherwise exposed body.

Xena blinked in apprehension and then focused on Agathon. “And you are?”

“That's Agathon, my Lord,” Lila supplied.

“Does Agathon have a voice?” Xena inquired as she folded her arms across her chest. The mostly naked young man appeared to be terrified and mute.

“I apologize, my Lord,” Giorgios started but was halted by Xena's hand, motioning for him to be silent.

“Agathon? Aren't you one of the equissentries that guard the royal stable?” Xena asked.

“Yes, my Lord,” Lila answered again, “ he's -”

“Agathon?” Xena interrupted, her tone admonishing.

“Y-yes, My Lord. I, uh, am one of the charges of my Lord's Argo, during the evening shift.”

Xena focused on Lila. “By your expression, I gather his presence here is neither unusual nor unwanted.”

Lila blushed. “No, my Lord. I love him.” She and Agathon exchanged embarrassed grins.

Xena rolled her eyes. “Oh, good gods. How long has this been going on?”

“About two and a half fortnights, my Lord,” Lila told her.

“Does Gabrielle know?” Xena asked.

“Well…I think she suspects,” Lila said, then hastily added, “my Lord.”

“So, that's a no?” Xena wanted to clarify.

“Um, yeah, no, my Lord,” Lila said.

A sleepy, confused Gabrielle, wrapped in a blanket, appeared in the doorway. “What's going on?”

“Both of you get dressed and meet me in my chamber immediately,” Xena ordered.

The impact of those words hit Gabrielle squarely and her eyes snapped open. “Get dressed?” She looked at Lila, then at Agathon and then back at Lila again. “Lila?”

Xena gently took Gabrielle by the arm. “Now!” she growled and led the bard away from her sister's room.

*****

“What do you mean, you think you're pregnant?” Gabrielle asked, her voice rising with every word.

“I mean I never cycled this month and, you know me, Gabrielle, I never miss a cycle.”

“Lila!” Gabrielle couldn't hide her shock.

“What?” Lila responded, defensively. “You're trying to have a baby, why can't I?”

“Are you serious?” Gabrielle said, incredulously. “You're fifteen summers old!”

“So what? Seraphin had her first baby at fifteen! Just because you're a late starter doesn't mean we all have to be.” There was obstinacy in her bearing that prompted Gabrielle's eyes to become slits.

“Seraphin was married! And our circumstances are different.”

“If you were married to Perdicus right now, you'd probably be pregnant,” Lila shot back.

Xena, up until this point, had been glaring at Agathon who was sweating copiously. Her attention shifted to Gabrielle's sister. “Watch your tongue, Lila. I'm sure Agathon would prefer you keep it in your head.” Both Lila and Agathon turned bright red and looked at the floor.

Gabrielle glowered at Xena. “Thank you so much for providing me with that visual, my Lord.”

Xena smirked and returned to looking threateningly at Agathon. The soldier wiped the abundance of perspiration off his forehead. “What do you have to say for yourself, Agathon? You seem perfectly fine to let Lila do all the talking for you.”

The handsome young man reached over and took Lila's hand securely in his. “I love her, my Lord. I would be honored to make her my wife.”

“Well, that's good because it doesn't appear to be a choice, since she is convinced she is with child,” Xena said, her voice steely and commanding. “Did you plan this in hopes you could get out of going to war?”

Agathon looked almost insulted. “No, my Lord,” he said, indignantly. “We became lovers before there was a hint of any war. I was fully aware of the possibility of a child. It will make no difference in my duties and responsibilities to the Realm. I am a dedicated and committed soldier, my Lord.”

Xena drew in a deep breath and exhaled loudly. “Leave us. Wait outside while we discuss this situation.” Neither Lila nor Agathon moved. “Now!” she barked. Instantly, the two in question scrambled to get out of the Conqueror's bedchamber.

Once the door closed, Gabrielle's head nearly slammed on the table. She rested her forehead on her arm, then sat up and scrubbed her face with her hands. “I apologize, my Lord. I don't know what's gotten into Lila.”

“Clearly, Agathon has gotten into Lila. Weren't you listening?” Xena looked over at Gabrielle to see that she was not amused. She put her hand up. “Okay, alright, I know. I'm making light of this. What do you want to do?”

“Me? It's your Realm, your command, your soldier!”

Xena's expression warned Gabrielle to rein in her tone. “I will send Lila to Heron but we won't have the results of his examination for a while. To be safe, we can marry them this afternoon.”

“And if she - miraculously – isn't pregnant?”

“I will have her fitted with a chastity belt, if you wish.”

“I'd say too little, too late.” Gabrielle brushed hair away from her forehead with her hand. “I should have paid more attention to her incessant babbling about this boy. I just thought it was a crush. She gets them all the time. I never foresaw this one turning into anything more.”

“She's growing up. Can't stop that from happening,” Xena said.

“I know. I just wish she felt she could have shared this with me.”

“You wouldn't have given her your blessing,” Xena said. She studied a silent, brooding bard, saying nothing until she noticed a single tear fall from one eye. “It's okay. It's not unfixable. Being a soldier's wife is not easy but if it's what she wants, give it to her. Now that she's tasted that good old forbidden fruit, chances are if I don't allow her to marry Agathon, she'll find a replacement. Trust me, that's not the reputation you want her to have. Better she marry him.”

“It's not that,” Gabrielle said, in a whisper.

“Then what is it?” Xena asked, concerned.

“I'm sure you feel now that you chose the wrong sister. We've been trying for four moons and my younger sister gets knocked up first time out of the gate.”

“Gabrielle,” Xena said, gently, “I didn't want your sister. If I had, she would be in my bed. I wanted you. Now, as to why Ares' gift isn't working for us – at least not yet – I don't know. But, like I said earlier, we'll keep trying. Now,” she stood up and stretched, “I'm sure Demetria and the kitchen staff are waiting patiently outside with your morning meal.”

Gabrielle looked up at her. “You aren't eating?”

“I am late for a briefing with my officers and since we leave tonight, I need to ensure everyone is as prepared as they can be.” When she realized Gabrielle was still waiting for an answer, she said, “I've ordered food to be sent to the Great Hall. I will eat there with the others.”

“Aren't you concerned someone might mess with your food when it doesn't come up to you directly from the kitchen?”

“No, I have several tasters.” She smirked. “If you'd like, I could reassign Agathon for that duty.”

Gabrielle tilted her head, as though she wasn't horrified by the idea. Then she shook her head. “No. Lila really believes she loves him. I'd hate to see her heart broken like that.”

“You do realize that he could just as easily die in battle, that she runs the risk of that broken heart just by order of him being in my army.”

“Not if a certain leader of said army keeps him close,” Gabrielle said, glancing up at Xena, with a calculating half-smile.

Xena laughed. “Fine. Chances are he'd be close anyway if his job is to guard Argo. Now, I'm going to send Demetria in and your sister to Heron. Would you like to accompany her? She might find the exam embarrassing.”

“Yes, my… Yes, Xena, I would like that. I'll get dressed and walk her down to the infirmus. What are you going to do with Agathon?”

“Oh, don't you worry about him. He and I are going to have a nice little heart-to-heart while he accompanies me to the Great Hall.” She walked to the door. “Before you go see Heron, why don't you and your sister enjoy whatever Eirene has prepared?”

“Thank you, Xena. I would like to have some private time with Lila.”

“Don't kill her,” Xena mocked warned. When she stepped outside, Lila and Agathon were kissing. Xena rolled her eyes. “Lila, get back in there with your sister. Agathon, you're coming with me.” As she walked away she snagged the young soldier's arm, pulling him away from his betrothed.

“Don't kill him!” Lila shouted after the two retreating figures. She then added, “My Lord,” after they had already disappeared. Lila turned and faced the door to the Conqueror's chambers. “Don't kill me,” she mumbled to herself as she grasped the handle and went inside.

*****

Xena met with Autolycus outside the Great Hall. She still had hold of Agathon's arm. “Auto,” she practically sang, her voice ending in a sarcastic lilt.

Autolycus rendered a respectful bow. “My Lord.”

“Did you know about this?” Xena ushered Agathon forward.

Her Chief of Staff looked confused. “I'm…not…sure. I need more information.”

“The guards you placed at Lila's door have not been doing their jobs. This young man, Agathon, has been visiting her every night after his shift.”

Then it clearly dawned on him. “Oh, that . Yes, I knew about that. I told the guards that as long as the feelings were mutual to go ahead and let him in.”

Xena's mouth dropped open and she stared at Autolycus. She didn't look at Agathon when she ordered him to leave. Once he was gone, the Conqueror narrowed her eyes. “You intentionally countermanded a direct order from me. I don't care how fond of you I am, I want to know why right now and it better be good or you just may be the first casualty of this war.”

“Now, just take a breath, your Conquerorness, your orders were to make sure Lila remained safe at night. If you could see the way those two pawed each other in the stables, you would know that he had no intentions of hurting her.”

“He got her pregnant.” Xena's voice was flat.

“He did? Wow, I didn't think he had it in him,” Autolycus said, impressed.

“All boys who pass puberty have it in them. Didn't you think about the consequences?”

“Sure but they were going to do it anyway, that much was clear. I thought it was better that they have privacy instead of sneaking away to a place where they might have been caught by other soldiers. That wouldn't have made her safe at all, my Lord. I figured I was doing what was best under the circumstances.”

“And yet you found it necessary to neglect to tell me?” She folded her arms.

He shrugged. “It wasn't a matter of state, my Lord. It's young love. I didn't think I needed to report on them like I was a spy.”

“You ARE a spy. It's one of your jobs, remember? You listen, observe, gather information and report – especially when you know it is something I might not be aware of.”

“Honestly, I was sure that Lila would tell Gabrielle and Gabrielle would tell you.”

“LADY Gabrielle was just as stunned as I about this.”

“Huh. So the kid is preggers, huh?”

“She thinks she is. She's going to Heron as soon as she finishes breakfast.”

“Guess I need to round up a kerusso. Hey, maybe you should hold a mass ceremony before you leave tonight and let all soldiers marry before they leave if they desire.”

“Which will create more dependents of the empire when the spouses die in battle.”

“You can afford it, my Lord,” Autolycus said. “It seems a small price to pay to have soldiers with some incentive to survive and get back here. Their attitude fighting will be much different.”

Xena contemplated his words then unfolded her arms. “You're lucky you're so cunning, Auto. Go find a kerusso. I'll make an announcement. We'll set a mass ceremony for at mid day in the grand courtyard.”

Autolycus grinned. “By your will, my Liege.”

****

Demetria and two members of the kitchen staff finished placing items from the morning meal on the table, then left the room.

“Wow, this smells great!” Lila said, immediately using a large utensil to dig into the tiganites. “I love this stuff,” she said, stuffing a forkful of the pancake with tahini and grape molasses in her mouth. While she chewed, she piled a heaping portion of trahana, then yogurt and honey on her plate. She looked up at Gabrielle and was met with a stony silence and simmering demeanor. “What?” she asked, around the food in her mouth.

“You know what! How could you not tell me you were having sex?”

“Oh, like you would have gone along with that,” Lila said, spearing a couple of milk pasta pellets and feta cheese. “You still think I'm a kid. Well, I'm not. And Agathon proved that.”

Gabrielle sighed and picked up a serving spoon, with which she moved a graviera cheese omelet to her plate. She snagged a few slices of siglino. The smoked pork was a favorite of hers. “Lila, it's not that. It's just…you used to tell me everything and I guess I'm hurt that you didn't share this with me. This is a big deal.”

Lila stopped eating and bowed her head. “I'm sorry, Gabrielle. You've been so distracted and preoccupied, I just thought you wouldn't care anymore.”

“Lila! I love you. Of course I care. I guess, I don't know, so much has happened and yes, I have been preoccupied. Now that I understand my role in all this, I don't want to fail. Yet I started my period this morning so I have disappointed Xena once again.”

“Xena, is it? Just Xena? No Lord, Conqueror, or my liege?” Lila's eyebrows were raised.

“She told me to call her Xena and forget the other stuff when we're alone,” Gabrielle sounded defensive.

Lila nodded and took another bite of breakfast. “Have you seen anything of Perdicus?”

“No. And I surely won't now. Xena sent him away last night. He's going to fight with Alexander.”

“Alexander of Macedon? How did that happen? Why would the Conqueror fulfill one of his dreams? He's a prisoner.”

“I know.” Gabrielle spooned a helping of roasted chickpeas onto her plate. She took a sip of mountain tea. “I think she might have done it to keep him far away from me.”

“But she could have done that just by keeping him jailed.”

Gabrielle stopped and cocked her head. “True. I'm beginning to learn that maybe the Conqueror isn't the atrocious beast we've all been led to believe.”

“Well, her soldiers idolize and totally respect her and I never hear them speak of savagery or mistreatment. Agathon says that she's a hardcore leader but she's fair – unless, of course, you betray her.” Lila reached to the middle of the table and took a warm slice of bread. “On the other hand, she is making you do what you're doing.”

“Yes but she's not forcing me.”

Lila looked shocked. “She's not? You mean…you're doing this willingly?”

“Yes and no. I don't have a choice but it's not at all unpleasant.” Gabrielle blushed when Lila stared at her.

“You enjoy what she does to you?'

“Actually? Yes. Trust me when I say she has many skills.” Gabrielle's skin was still dark pink. Under her sister's silent scrutiny, she said, “Oh, come on, Lila. You've had sex, you now know how utterly amazing the feelings are.”

“Yeah but how can she know what to do? She's a woman.”

“And, as a woman, don't you think she would know what feels best?”

Lila mulled that over. “Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that.” She took another mouthful of food and then said, “Let's talk about sex.”

Gabrielle smiled and put her hand over her eyes. “Oh, dear gods…”

*****

“The carrier pigeons have returned, my Lord,” Ceyx told Xena, once all her hegemons were gathered.

“Any issues?” Xena asked. She threw the question out to any who had something to report.

“No, Lord Xena,” Narkissa answered.

“What is our count so far? Did anyone keep a tally?”

“Yes, my Lord,” Ceyx said. “So far, we have 6,000 skirmishers, 4500 peltasts, 16,000 hoplites and 10,000 cavalry. They will ride out at midnight from their various posts and meet Alexander at the Granicus River. Then they will move out front while we make our way to Sardis.”

“Yes, we spoke yesterday of Persian troops starting to build in Zelea,” Xena said, looking at a wall map.

“The satraps are mustering their forces. Amazing how quickly word of battle gets around,” Praxis spoke up.

“How many so far?” Xena asked.

“Last count was about 15,000,” Praxis answered.

Xena's raised eyebrow was her only physical reaction. “We'll be ready for them.”

“Will they be ready for us?” Ceyx asked with a presumptuous smirk.

“Never underestimate your enemy's strength, weakness or desperation. Remember, there was a time no one believed I could lead an Army, much less become conqueror. We will continuing gathering intelligence on the Persians and adjust our strategy as necessary. If we stay one step ahead of them, we can stop them with, hopefully, as few casualties as possible.”

Ceyx bowed his head and took a step back, aptly chastised. Arrogance aside, General Ceyx was a respected leader, would follow Xena's direction and he had loyalty among his troops. After all, it was his devotion to her rule that caused his ego to speak instead of his common sense at times.

Xena looked over at Cyane. “Are your warriors on alert?”

“They always are, my Lord,” Cyane said. “I will accompany you, continuing my assignment as Amazon emissary. The regent liaison, Ephiny, will replace me here at the palace. I trust her, implicitly, to be a noble representative of the nation in my stead. She will also protect Lady Gabrielle if there is a need.”

“Will she arrive before we leave? I'd like to meet her,” Xena said, secretly pleased that someone, other than her and Autolycus, would personally take Gabrielle's safety into consideration.

“I expect her to be here before dusk, my Lord.”

Xena nodded. “Before we get down to the details of the deployment this eve, I need to make an announcement. Anyone of you, or your soldiers, who wants to get married, there will be a kerusso performing an open ceremony this afternoon in the main royal courtyard. It will be held one turn of the sandglass following the end of this meeting.” She looked away from the map to see the occupants of the room, staring at her, struck mute, a stunned expression on their faces. “What? It'll be good for morale.”

*****

“Am I'm doing the test on you again, Lady Gabrielle? We haven't got the results of the last one,” Heron said, as Gabrielle and Lila entered the infirmus.

“No, Heron, I know my results. I started cycling this morning. The Conqueror would like you to determine whether or not my sister is with child.” Gabrielle's hand gestured toward Lila.

Heron's eyes drifted toward the young woman who was a smidge taller than Gabrielle. “Why would the Conqueror want your sister tes -” He stopped, his eyes snapping open wide. “She's not doing her, too, is she? Was this a packaged deal?”

“What? No!” Gabrielle gasped, indignant and embarrassed at the same time. She put a protective arm around Lila and pulled her close. “Gods, that's disgusting.”

Heron raised his hand in concession. “All right, don't get your breeches in a bunch. It's not like it would be out of the territory of possibilities for her.” His last sentence was said under his breath. He turned and motioned to them to follow him.

“To answer your question, Lord Xena would like to know as a favor to me,” Gabrielle explained.

“Well, I'd like to know, too,” Lila added. “But I'm pretty sure I am.”

Heron led them into a room that had some privacy. “Miss Lila, please sit while I gather my tools.”

Lila stopped, looked at Gabrielle, then back at Heron. “T-tools?”

Gabrielle placed her hand gently on her sister's arm. “It's okay. He means his medicinal tools, like herbs and such.”

“Oh.” Lila nodded and continued to the cot. “How does this work? What do you have to do?”

“Lady Gabrielle, you didn't explain the process to your sister?”

Gabrielle immediately noticed the twinkle in his eye and sucked in her lips to stifle a laugh.

“No, she didn't,” Lila said. “What process? Gabrielle?”

“It's okay, Lila, I'll let Heron explain,” Gabrielle said, trying to keep a straight face.

“Lady Gabrielle, you could have prepared her,” Heron said, in mock astonishment.

“Prepared me? What does that mean?” Lila started to get panicky. “Gabrielle, what does he mean?”

“He's going to explain it to you. You were okay with getting pregnant, now you have to do the grown-up thing and be tested.”

“Um, can't I just wait until the baby starts to grow and it's obvious?”

“No,” Heron told her as he gathered up some material and jars. “If you are, we need to make sure that you have a healthy pregnancy and will have to start you on a special diet.”

“A diet? Of what?”

Gabrielle couldn't resist joining in. “What was it you told me when you did my test, Heron? Calf liver, sheep brain and what was the third thing?”

“Goat poo.”

Lila looked stricken. “I have to eat goat poo?”

“No, of course not.” Heron shook his head. “You have to rub it on your belly every night until you start to show.”

“And all I'm allowed to eat is calf liver and sheep brains?”

“Only if your test comes back positive,” Heron said. He turned to face Lila and held up a small onion in one hand and a bulb of garlic in the other. “Now, for the actual test. Which do you prefer?”

“To eat?” Lila still seemed to be processing the goat poo rub.

“Oh, no, my dear,” Heron said, with a little laugh.

“Whew,” Lila smiled for the first time. “I don't like either, so I'm glad I don't have to eat them. So which do I prefer to what?”

“To insert,” Heron said, matter-of-factly.

Lila looked at Gabrielle, dread coloring her features. “Insert where?”

“Where the babies come out,” Gabrielle told her.

“What?” Lila crossed her legs tightly in reflex. “No!”

“Yes,” Heron said and nodded his head, taking a step closer to her. “You see, one or the other must be inserted. Although with the garlic, only clove is necessary. Some women prefer the onion.”

Lila opened her mouth but no words came out.

“Now, what we need to do is after we thrust which ever one you choose inside you,” Heron continued, putting enough emphasis on the word ‘thrust' to make Lila jump, “you need to lie very still. Now, tomorrow morning -”

“Wait, you mean…I have to stay here all night with a…a…vegetable up my…my…? How can that possibly tell you anything? And how do I know which to choose?”

“Oh, that's easy,” Heron said. “How big is your husband?”

“She isn't married…yet,” Gabrielle told him.

“Ah. I see. In that case, how big is the father of the baby?”

“Big?” Lila shrugged. “He's average height, slender -”

Both Heron and Gabrielle snickered at the innocence of her answer. “No, Lila, he means how big as in, well, size.” Gabrielle's hand covered her own crotch. “You know, down here.”

Lila gulped, her eyes wide. “What? Why do you need to know that?”

“Miss Lila, we want to make it as confortable for you as possible so we want to fit you with what you are used to,” Heron explained.

“I don't know! It's not like I studied it. His...” Her hand swept vaguely over the area of her pelvis. “You know, him! ” Lila's voice rose with every word.

“Oh, dear. Well, then, I guess to be safe, we'll go with the clove of garlic.” Heron put the onion down on a table. “Now, we'll place the clove in you and if we smell garlic on your breath tomorrow morning, it means you're pregnant.”

Lila looked up at Gabrielle again. “You had to do this? I don't remember you being gone over night anywhere.”

“Heron administers this test for me in the Conqueror's chambers.”

“I don't understand how it works, though,” Lila said, looking quickly from Heron to Gabrielle and back. “And…” Suddenly, Lila's eyes narrowed. “Wait a minute.” She focused on Heron. “When we walked in, you said you didn't have the results of her test yet. If you can tell by smelling her breath, why didn't you?”

Gabrielle and Heron exchanged looks and burst out laughing. “Your sister, like you, has an overactive gullibility gland, Lady Gabrielle,” Heron said. “Wait here while I retrieve the pan so I can prepare the mixture.”

When Heron left the room, Lila reached out to swat Gabrielle. “You could have warned me.”

Gabrielle was still chuckling as she backed out of Lila's reach. “You could have warned me, too.”

“That was embarrassing, Gabrielle.”

“He pulled the same thing on me. At least all you had for your audience was us. I had to suffer through Xena being there when he did that to me.”

“So how did you answer the question about, um, size?”

“Xena told him he needed a cabbage.”

“Ow!”

“Yeah, you should have seen the look on my face.”

“How could I have fallen for that? It was so silly,” Lila said, relieved.

“Not so silly, actually. They used to do that in Aegyptus. Although, I guess it was a process more to determine fertility than actually pregnancy,” Gabrielle explained.

“What will he really do?”

“He will make you pee in a small container. Then he will wet emmer wheat and barley seeds with it. He will keep them moist and if either of the seeds sprout, it means you are pregnant.”

“That works?”

“Not only does it work, supposedly if the barley sprouts first, the child will be a boy and if it's the emmer wheat that grows first, then you will have a girl.”

“So all I have to do is pee?”

“For now.”

Lila closed her eyes in relief. “Thank the gods. How long does it take to get the results?”

“It depends, I guess. Heron said maybe a fortnight and a half.”

“That long? Agathon will be gone by then.” It was almost a whine.

“Really, Lila, what did you expect? To be able to pee on a stick and know just by it changing color?”

****

Gabrielle attended the mass wedding when the sun was the highest in the sky. There were hundreds of couples in the courtyard as the orthodox cleric blessed the unions of all who came forward to participate in the event. She couldn't get near Lila, who was in the front, beaming at Agathon, so she watched from the closest balcony.

When all the grooms kissed their brides and they were pronounced wedded, a tear slid down Gabrielle's face. She was happy that Lila seemed so thrilled but sad because it was never supposed to be like this. On the other hand, maybe this was actually better. Her sister got to marry someone she was in love with – or, at least, Lila thought she was – and not have to take what was decided for her through an arrangement that benefitted only the fathers.

Lila had been betrothed to a boy named Nikos, the village tanner's son whom she had never even met. Herodotus wanted an introduction just for propriety sake. He saw nothing wrong with allowing the children to get to know each other, maybe even become friends, like Gabrielle and Perdicus had. But Bellos, Nikos' father, forbid it. Just before the Conflagarus, they had discovered that Nikos was a very violent young man, that he had many times sent his brothers and sisters to the healers and would rustle and brutally murder animals from other people's land. Gabrielle was horrified that her sister was still expected to marry this monster, but a deal was a deal. Then Poteideia burned, the tannery, Bellos, Nikos and his brothers with it. Unfortunately, the inferno claimed Perdicus' parents and her folks, as well. At least half the village's population died that horrible day.

If nothing else, she should have continued hating Xena for that. But she didn't. She hated Eusebius for using them all and manipulating the situation for his own greed and power play. After all, because of Xena, she didn't have to marry Perdicus, give up being a bard and be content with being a farmer's wife, birthing a passel of babies who would grow up to be more farmer's and more farmers' wives. Even better, her sister benefitted from their situation.

Instead, she would be delivering children to a woman who, up until just a few moons ago, she despised. She still had to give up telling her stories but possibly not forever. She now wore the finest clothes, had people who waited on her hand and foot, could dine on the most sumptuous food and had free run of the palace. Her children would be raised in privilege, wanting for nothing – unless the Persians won the war. For some reason, her faith in her sovereign was absolute; Xena losing anything was not an option. And all Gabrielle had to do for it was sell her soul to Hades.

Or had she? The Conqueror, despite the rumors to the contrary, was good to her staff, the soldiers, the citizens of Corinth, the prisoners, her own mother and to Gabrielle. Though Gabrielle couldn't reconcile some of the barbaric practices she knew Xena was responsible for, time spent in the sovereign's company (and in her bed), proved to be enlightening as far as getting to know the woman and her true nature up close and personally. Gabrielle certainly didn't approve of the violent manner in which Xena sometimes ruled but now that she had firsthand experience of being behind the scenes, she realized that everything wasn't as black and white as she had always been led to believe.

Xena had called her naïve. Maybe she really had been.

****

Gabrielle had been napping when Xena returned to her chambers earlier than usual. Once again, the conqueror stopped and studied the snoozing bard. She wanted to take Gabrielle with her yet at the same time, she needed Gabrielle to be safe. Maybe she really could send for her at some point.

She quietly stripped off her attire and slid under the covers. She didn't need to sleep before her army's deployment later, she was energized enough at the thought of riding into battle to keep any impending rest at bay, but she could not resist the idea of cuddling up with the young woman who shared her bed. Even if it was just for a moment.

She settled on her side and pulled Gabrielle to her, curling herself around the slighter form of the slumbering bard. Gabrielle, still asleep, sighed and melded her body into Xena's. The conqueror marveled at the way they seemed to just… fit …together, how comfortable they seemed to be with subconscious intimacy. She kissed Gabrielle's red-gold hair and chuckled quietly. She was amazed at how much would miss the warmth and closeness of this girl, her companionship, her building loyalty and her steady, albeit reluctant, commitment to producing an heir.

They had spent four moons trying to make Ares' gift work, sometimes several times a day or night. Lately, the connection between them had become more than just an act to impregnate. Xena couldn't pinpoint exactly when or how it had happened but she found herself actually caring about the young woman. It was more than just wanting to protect the future mother of her child (or children); she now wanted to shield the woman not just the vessel.

What was not to like about Gabrielle, she mused, as her hand wandered down to cup a firm, small breast. She was smart, inquisitive, eager and extremely pleasant to look at. Her thumb flicked over a hardening nipple as Xena thought about how much Gabrielle seemed to be admired by the staff, by her guards, by her mother

The young bard moaned and turned in Xena's embrace. To the conqueror's surprise, Gabrielle initiated foreplay and ‘nap' time was quickly replaced by a slow, impulsive, sensual rediscovering of each other's body. It almost felt as though they were touching each other for the first time but with a familiarity of seasoned lovers. No words were spoken, just feelings assimilated and sensations absorbed. When it was over, they lay contentedly in each other's embrace.

“Xena?” Gabrielle's tone was tentative, as she broke the silence. “Can I ask you something?”

“I think you can ask me pretty much anything,” Xena said, her voice low, unworried, as she rolled over and pulled the bard on top of her.

“This morn, when Lila and I had breakfast, we spoke of sex.”

“I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you!” Xena said, with mock horror.

Gabrielle tried to playfully swat Xena's arm but was held fast by the Conqueror. “Lila wondered how you were able to, um, please me, being that your… equipment …was different.”

“And your response was?”

“I told her that you, being a woman, knew what felt the best with a woman.”

“Makes sense to me.” Xena brushed sweaty bangs away from Gabrielle's eyes. “So what's your question?”

“You've been with men. I never have. What is the difference really?”

Xena thought about the question for a moment. “I'd say there is a difference in the sense of being filled when you're penetrated. And men can have both hands free to do more to enhance the experience – though they rarely understand that's a gift or use it. Also, there's a whole different texture to a man's skin against yours, especially if he is well haired-over. It's rougher. It can be really irritating if the man is just in a hurry to satisfy himself and not you. That's called exercise and there's really no warmth or affection to it.

“Women enjoy being touched and kissed,” Xena continued, “whereas a lot of men just want the friction and the orgasm. Not always. There are a few exceptions but they are rare. Women are brought up to believe they should not enjoy sex, that it is a responsibility, an unpleasant obligation. Our mothers teach us from the second we're betrothed that we need to be submissive and ‘just grin, bear it and let him get it over with' and it will hurt and you'll bleed. We're raised believing relations with our husbands are not for us to take pleasure in, that it is a physical function expected of us if we want children.”

“Clearly Lila doesn't believe that,” Gabrielle said, as an aside.

“Your sister seems to be one of the lucky ones who found a man who wants her to get as much pleasure out of the act as he does. It's rare and next time you two talk, you should tell her how fortunate she is.” Xena studied Gabrielle's still inquisitive expression. “I could simulate the experience for you, if you're that interested.”

“You could? How?”

Xena gently moved Gabrielle off her, got up from the bed and walked to one of her many closets. When she came back to the bed, she was carrying a phallus and a leather harness to hold it. The object was made of jade and represented a realistic, average-length, uncircumcised, erect penis with testicles. Xena sat on the bed, affixed the apparatus to the harness and then slipped it on, adjusting it to fit snugly against her. A crooked smile adorned her features when she saw the bard's eyes riveted to the phallus. “You have seen one of these before?”

Gabrielle reached over to touch the polished stone. “No. Never.”

“Have you ever seen a real one?”

Gabrielle drew her hand back and blushed furiously. “Yes. I've seen many. I mean, I was raised on a farm. And, um, the night you took me, I saw Perdicus'. It was a little smaller than that though.”

“This is a standard size. I have bigger ones but I don't think they'd be appropriate for you.”

Gabrielle's eyes grew wide. “They can get bigger than this?”

“Yes. Both phalluses and actual penises.” She put her finger under Gabrielle's chin and lifted her head to make eye contact. “Are you sure you want to do this?”

Gabrielle was hesitant and then said, “Yes, Xena. Please show me.”

Xena nodded then brought Gabrielle's lips to hers for a kiss. She slowly moved their bodies together, sliding the phallus between Gabrielle's thighs, getting her used to the hardness. Xena's fingers worked to get the young bard stretched and lubricated. When Gabrielle reached down and wrapped her hand around the girth of the phallus, pulling it closer to her, Xena knew she was as ready as she was probably ever going to be.

She entered the bard slowly, pushing in a little further with every unhurried thrust. She gauged how far she should go by how much Gabrielle tensed. Within moments, the phallus was fully inside and Gabrielle seemed to be adapting just fine. Gabrielle then began to meet her push for push. This rocking went on for several minutes, with both women panting heavily until Gabrielle cried out in release. Xena waited until the young bard began to breathe normally again and withdrew the phallus a bit at a time. She removed the harness with the device still attached and placed it next to the bed while Gabrielle watched her. “Well? What did you think?”

“It was kind of what I expected. I felt, um, filled but it seemed almost impersonal, really, as opposed to what we usually do.”

“But it got you off and that's the purpose,” Xena explained.

“Yes but in a much different way. It really didn't feel intimate at all.”

“That's because I've spoiled you.”

That you have, my Lord,” Gabrielle agreed. She looked up at Xena with an indulgent smile. “You could teach me do that to you.”

Xena laughed. “Let's save that for another time.”

“It didn't hurt,” Gabrielle said, surprised.

“I'm glad. Did you expect it to?”

“Well, it's just that I was always told that it would hurt when entered such as that. Lila said it hurt but not horribly.”

“It can hurt. But if your lover does their job correctly and gets you ready , the only thing you should feel is yourself stretching to accommodate the size and length. That can be a weird experience if it's your first time.”

“What if it was my first time? With a man and he took my purity. Wouldn't that hurt?”

“It could; especially if he was inexperienced, selfish or taking you against your will.” She studied Gabrielle momentarily. “Did I hurt you when I took your purity?”

Gabrielle stopped and wracked her memory. “I…I honestly don't recall. Maybe a sudden stinging sensation but mostly I remember pleasure.” Then the young bard blushed at the recollection of her first time.

Xena chuckled and then exhaled a long breath of resignation. “I suppose I need to think about getting ready to suit up.”

A shadow of sadness flickered over sea-green eyes but before it could settle into place, Gabrielle softly said, “I will help you.”

When Gabrielle got up to bathe, Xena immediately felt the loss and followed her young lover to the tub.

She let Gabrielle wash her. It was an erotic experience that seemed to be a continuation of their quiet lovemaking. Xena started to wonder if she had somehow become addicted to this once Resistance key player.

Gabrielle assisted Xena in dressing and when it was time to leave, the young bard placed her arms around the conqueror's waist and squeezed. Xena lifted Gabrielle's chin and placed a kiss upon her lips. The response verged on emotional.

“Gods speed, my Lord,” Gabrielle finally said when Xena broke from her embrace, her eyes glassy with tenderness and worry.

“I'll be fine, Gabrielle,” Xena whispered, caressing Gabrielle's face. “We will be victorious.”

Gabrielle covered Xena's hand as it touched her face, turned into the contact and then kissed the conqueror's palm.

It felt as though they actually meant something to each other.

****

The army was amassed both on the palace grounds and outside Corinth. The commanders waited for their sovereign to ascend the rostrum and give the orders to commence deploying, leading them toward their destiny.

Xena stopped just before the door to the training courtyard, which led to the backfields and her troops. Cyane awaited her, standing next to a similarly dressed woman. The first thing Xena noticed that stood out about the Amazon was an unruly mop of curls that fell to her slim but muscular shoulders.

“This is Ephiny, my Lord,” Cyane said, introducing her replacement to Xena.

The Conqueror appraised the compact warrior, now ambassador to the entire Greek Amazon nation for the Realm. “You're rather small. Can you assure me the same strength, dignity and attention to my dominion that Cyane has given?”

“Without hesitation, my Lord,” Ephiny answered, her posture at rigid attention.

Xena nodded. “I'm trusting Cyane's judgment that you will be as dedicated as she has been in doing your part to protect all I hold dear in this royal residence and being a smart and honest liaison for your nation.”

“I take my responsibilities as seriously as Cyane, my Lord.”

“Ephiny?” Xena said, her tone commanding the Amazon's attention.

Hard brown eyes focused on the Conqueror. “Yes, my Lord?”

Xena regarded the demeanor and expression of the smaller woman. Instinctively, Xena trusted her. Something in Ephiny's bearing spoke volumes about the Amazon's sense of self. After her perusal, Xena simply said, “Carry on.”

“Yes, my Lord,” Ephiny answered, not relaxing at all.

As they walked out the door, Xena said to Cyane, “You've apprised her of keeping an eye on Gabrielle?”

“She has been thoroughly briefed, my Lord.”

“Is Ephiny bonded?” Xena asked.

“Yes, my Lord. To Terreis,” Cyane answered.

“Ah. I was going to suggest bringing her bondmate here but since Terreis is the Amazon Princess, I am sure that would not be possible.”

“Anything is possible if you command it, my Lord,” Cyane told her.

“Well, not anything,” Xena reasoned. “I could command you to walk up a beam of light and I'm quite sure you couldn't do it.”

Cyane looked over and saw the twinkle in the Conqueror's eye. “Certainly not for lack of trying, my Lord.” Cyane hesitated, then asked, “Are you concerned that Ephiny might try to make a move on Lady Gabrielle, my Lord?”

Xena stopped in her tracks and studied Cyane. “Are you?”

Cyane suddenly looked like a mole caught in sunlight. “No, my Lord. I just… Why did you ask if she was bonded?”

“Since I'm not sure how long Ephiny will be required to stay, I thought it might be beneficial for her to have her bondmate here, also.” Xena continued to walk, then noticed Cyane was still standing in the same place. She turned to face the tall, Amazon warrior. “Cyane?”

Cyane approached her. “May I speak frankly, my Lord?”

Xena nodded. “You may.”

“You've never cared about this stuff before. Yet, this time you allow a mass ceremony for your unmarried troops and now you're concerned about Ephiny's morale without her bondmate. It's…well, it's not you, my Lord.”

Xena smirked. “Even a conqueror can evolve, Cyane.”

****

Once all the battalion commanders reported their regiments present, accounted for and prepared to move out, Xena ordered Darphus' desert brigade to come forward. Under guard, several of the officers who had been rounded up yesterday shuffled to the front, followed by a detachment of convicted prisoners. Strolling to the front, in all his menace and arrogance was Darphus.

“General, is your division ready?” Xena asked the disgruntled, former second in command.

“You mean my division of incompetent fools?” Darphus snarled up at her.

“Murderers and career criminals,” Xena corrected. “Not to mention most of your loyal cadre.”

“You're expecting us to die out there!” he barked at her

“Your choice, Darphus,” Xena said, unfazed by his surliness. “I expect to see you in Babylon and the bridges finished when we get there. All the time you'll save while we pussies move through the outer routes should leave you enough days to complete that task.”

Her smirk seemed to set him off. “If it can be done, it will be done, your lordship ,” Darphus spit out. “Enjoy your last moon of being the Conqueror. I'm looking forward to you being my whore.”

Xena graced him with a dazzling smile, at once intense and disarming. “Your arrogance has always been your worst enemy.”

Xena directed Darphus' group to set out first so that they could monitor them at least until they reached the desert where they would part company, hopefully for good. Although she would never underestimate Darphus' resourcefulness, she would also never allow herself to become his subordinate, much less his body slave. She couldn't think of anything more disgusting.

As Argo led the Army away from the palace, Xena looked back at the turret window of her main lookout tower. Gabrielle and Lila were there with the sentries, watching them go. Gabrielle put her hand up and Xena nodded, then turned her head back to the road ahead of her. She couldn't believe that the thought of not having Gabrielle to climb into bed with at the end of her day left her feeling so…empty.

It wasn't that she was leaving Gabrielle unprotected as two elite battalions were assigned to guard and protect the palace and four more to protect Corinth while she was away at this campaign. Plus, she had been promised the best of the best Amazon warriors now guarded the future mother of the royal line in Xena's absence, No, it wasn't the safety or the possibility of escape of the young woman that bothered her. She wasn't sure how to decipher this new, unchartered spiritual territory called emotional attachment.

*****

Gabrielle felt lost. She was intrigued and perplexed by the idea that she missed the Conqueror. It wasn't as though they were together all day and all night. Xena was, with rare exception, gone during the daylight hours with Realm business but since she knew that Xena would not be there for the evening meal or for their usual nocturnal activity, she was aware of the void and felt the hollowness. Her life had been all Xena, all the time for several moons now and to suddenly be on her own, so to speak, was somewhat disconcerting.

As Apollo's chariot ended its daily journey, Gabrielle was in the kitchen with Eirene, finishing up baking pies alongside the cook. Gabrielle had declined supper earlier but was now feeling a little peckish. Eirene advised her to return to the Conqueror's chambers and she would have Demetria bring up a tray.

“No, that's okay, Eirene,” Gabrielle said. “I'm not that hungry. Demetria's had a busy day, so I can get it myself.” She grabbed a large heel of freshly baked bread, a small, quarter-wheel of cheese, olives and a bowl of tzatziki.

“Do you need some wine, Lady Gabrielle?”

“No, I have some in the room. Xe- I mean, the Conqueror is quite generous with her private supply.”

“Only with you, it seems,” Eirene told her.

“Really? What about her…other…overnight guests?” Gabrielle asked, trying to be polite in her wording.

Eirene studied the young bard. “There have never, ever been overnight guests before you. Lord Xena has had plenty of visitors to her chambers, don't get me wrong, but you are the first and only to ever still be there in the morn.”

Gabrielle had heard that rumor previously but she had never confirmed it with Xena. For some reason this news pleased her. She bit back a smile. “Thank you for the food, Eirene. I will see you tomorrow.”

Eirene nodded. “Myrtle berries and porridge in the morn?”

“That would be lovely,” Gabrielle said and left the kouzína.

Once upstairs and in the Conqueror's bedchamber, she set her dinner on the table, returned to the hall and approached her sister's door. She knocked. “Lila?” A moment passed with no answer so she knocked again. “Lila, come share some bread and have some wine with me.”

The door opened slowly to reveal Lila's red eyes and tear-streaked face.

“Oh, Lila. It will be okay.” Gabrielle instantly wrapped her arms around her sister.

“How can you say that? They've gone to war. What if – what if he doesn't come back?” Lila rubbed her face on the material of Gabrielle's dress.

Gabrielle took a step back. “Did you…did you just wipe your nose on my dress?”

“No! I dried my eyes.” They stared at each other. “Okay, maybe my nose, too. What's the big deal? It's not like you don't have other dresses or do your own laundry.”

Gabrielle released a breath and took her sister's hand. “Come on. I need some company and I think you do, too.” She pulled Lila with her and headed toward the Conqueror's bedroom.

Seemingly, from nowhere, a scantily clad, yet heavily armed warrior stood in front of them, effectively blocking them from going any further.

Both Gabrielle and Lila stopped abruptly, startled by the large presence of a petite woman they'd never seen before. It took a moment for Gabrielle to get her bearing back. “Could you excuse us, please?” She might have been more upset but in her peripheral vision, she noticed that Karpos and Giorgios never moved, so clearly this woman wasn't a threat.

When the Amazon warrior held her ground, Lila placed her hands on her hips and barked, “Don't you know who this is?” She inclined her head to her sister.

The woman never acknowledged Lila. Her intense, brown eyes bore into Gabrielle. “Lady Gabrielle, the Conqueror hasn't even been gone a full day. Do you think this is wise?”

Both Lila and Gabrielle tilted their heads, their expressions mirrored confusion. Finally, Gabrielle found her voice. “Um…who are you?”

“Ephiny. I'm Cyane's replacement until she returns. I am the Amazon liaison and your personal protection until Lord Xena comes back.”

“Personal -?” Gabrielle began but Lila interrupted.

“What are you talking about? We have protection.” She turned and pointed to Karpos and Giorgio.”

Ephiny focused on Lila for the first time. “ We have protection? What do you mean we?”

“Me and Gabrielle,” Lila said, in a tone that suggested this Ephiny person needed to keep up with the conversation.

“Why do you have protection and shouldn't you be calling her Lady Gabrielle?” Ephiny sounded indignant.

“Why should I call her Lady Gabrielle?”

“Because you're a maid!” Ephiny answered, believing she was putting this impudent girl in her place.

“What?” Gabrielle and Lila chorused.

“What what?” Ephiny looked at them both in frustration.

Suddenly Gabrielle started to giggle. Then it bubbled into a full-fledged laughter. Her sister and the Amazon glared at her.

You…you thought my sister, Lila, was the maid and I was inviting her to the Conquerer's bedchamber to…to fool around?”

“What?” Lila's voice rose several octaves. Then she looked at Gabrielle. “Ew!”

Ephiny's face instantly colored and she bowed her head. “Forgive my assumption, Lady Gabrielle. I was briefed quickly and there was no mention of your sister.” She looked up at Lila. “My apologies, Lady Lila.”

“Just Lila. Actually, that's not true,” she corrected herself. “I am Lila, wife of Agathon, soon to be mother of…of a bundle of joy.” Lila squealed with delight at the notion.

“Congratulations, Lila,” Ephiny said, sincerely. She cleared her throat when there was an awkward silence. “I will leave you to your privacy, Lady Gabrielle.”

Ephiny took a step to back away when Gabrielle's voice stopped her. “You're welcome to join us, Ephiny. We are going to have a bit to eat and a mug of wine.”

“Thank you but no. I am on guard and -”

“And why can't you guard us from inside the room?” Gabrielle's head cocked to the side in genuine curiosity. “I'd love to hear all about the Amazons. I've never had the chance to spend time around Cyane and to tell you the truth, she's a tad intimidating,” Gabrielle said with a grin. “Giorgios and Karpos are really good. You'll know if there's any danger.”

Ephiny appeared to be considering the friendly overture. Then she shook her head. “Thank you, Lady Gabrielle, but some other time. I've just arrived and I need to get my bearings, learn the layout of the estate.”

“Okay,” Gabrielle said. “We'll probably be up a while so the offer is open when you get done, if you want to come back.”

The Amazon bowed her head again, briefly, out of respect. “Appreciated but I have a job to do and…well, I need to get to it.”

Gabrielle shrugged. “Okay. Bye, Ephiny, nice to meet you,” she called to the retreating form. She and Lila walked into the Conqueror's bedchamber.

Before the bedroom door closed, Lila could be heard saying, “She thought we were together together? Ew, ew, ew !”

****

Xena's scouts returned to the formation after riding a wide perimeter to check for enemy forces. They found none and advised the Conqueror of their results.

“We'll make camp here,” Xena announced to the riders behind her. “Create a pentagrammon configuration. We'll rest, feed and water our horses, get a meal in us and regenerate for the next leg.” The leaders split up while Xena dismounted Argo. She handed the reins to Agathon, while temporary shelters began to take form. She took a long drink from her waterskin and watched as the command tent was erected. Once the division leaders got their troops settled, they would return to the Conqueror's provisional quarters for an update and strategy meeting.

Her analytical mind was busy calculating the next phase of the impending battle when Gabrielle suddenly popped up in her thoughts. The visual made her smile. This would be the first time in moons that she'd slept alone. She wondered how it would feel and knew that she should be thinking of more important issues, so it made her feel a little distracted.

The Conqueror hated feeling distracted. Maybe a nap would help…if only she were sleepy.

****

Alexander and Perdicus sat on two large catapult stones, covered in furs, in the command tent, after the policy and game plan meeting was over. Alexander, a young man of medium height, rugged good looks, blond, curly hair and plenty of charisma, handed a near empty wineskin to Perdicus.

“Explain to me more about that phalanx thing,” Perdicus said, uncorking the hide-covered container.

“Xena developed the phalanx,” Alexander told Perdicus.

“And that's important, why?” Perdicus asked, annoyed at the mention of the Conqueror.

“Because it's a stroke of genius, my friend,” Alexander said, enthusiastically delving into an explanation. “It's a box formation for infantry soldiers that can be anywhere from eight to thirty-six men deep.”

“I still don't understand,” Perdicus said, as he squeezed some wine out of the skin into his mouth.

“Here, let me draw an example for you,” Alexander said, grabbing a stick of charcoal. He started his illustrations right on the wooden table that held maps. “The soldiers in the front march with spears, the length of a little more than nine cubits, usually held in an upright position. This is because a wall of spears helps hide what's going on with the units behind them. Now, when the spears are held flat, enemies can be killed at a safe range from the formation.” His rough sketches still didn't seem to make it any clearer for Perdicus. Alexander smiled and clapped Perdicus on the shoulder. “I suppose the best way to understand it is see it while its actually happening.”

“I guess I don't see why it's so potent.”

“A battalion with long spears, drawn up in close order with shields overlapping is a very formidable weapon for both offense and defense. Xena has an amazing strategical and tactical mind to even be able to envision such a maneuver. I believe your hatred of her warps you to opening your mind to her battle brilliance and artistry.”

“And you sound too enamored and loaded with hero worship, my friend,” Perdicus said. “She's a barbarian.”

Alexander laughed. “Clearly, she is not, or you wouldn't be here now to ride into history with me.”

“Pretty sure of yourself, aren't you?”

“Why shouldn't I be? My father was a great soldier who taught me skills, methodology and instilled me with unshakeable confidence. Then Xena took over mentoring me when my father passed. He was her consultant on a lot of her early campaigns. She is the best at what she does or she wouldn't still be the Conqueror. And if she has put her faith into me to lead this crusade, you better believe she thinks I am fully capable. I will not disappoint her and if you continue to ride with me, I will not allow you to disappoint her, either.” He watched as Perdicus just stared at his quarter-filled wineskin. “Look, you said this was always your dream. Would you have ever been able to do this if not for Xena?”

“That's not the point -”

“Ah, but it is. Your judgment is clouded because she attacked your pride.”

“She killed my parents and raped my fiancé!”

“The Conflagarus was a necessary evil that was ordered by Eusebius. Wasn't he supposed to be your friend? Your friend had the town scorched and people you love died as a result. Yet you still see Eusebius as a friend?”

“Not anymore. The Conqueror beheaded him.”

“As was apt retribution for his duplicity, I would say. So, she kills the man who really killed your parents and as punishment for your involvement with the Resistance, she sends you to perform a duty that's been your life's dream. Doesn't sound like a barbarian to me.”

“And my fiancé?”

“Perdicus, she's the Conqueror. What the Conqueror wants, the Conqueror gets. And the way Pantheras tells it, your former fiancé isn't exactly unhappy in Corinth. I hear she and her sister are quite content with their…duties.”

“She's become the Conqueror's whore,” Perdicus spit out.

“Xena doesn't need to make anyone her whore. She has body servants in her employ. And from what I hear, Gabrielle smiles much more than she frowns, is allowed pretty much free rein of the palace and even has to be referred to as ‘Lady' Gabrielle. Something tells me if she had the chance to give up what she has now to go back to what she had before, she wouldn't do it.” He studied Perdicus' sour expression. “Grow up, Perd. There will be plenty of Gabrielles in your future. Let go of that one. Once she's been in the Conqueror's bed, no one will ever satisfy her again.”

“Oh, yeah, thanks. That makes me feel so much better.” He drained the wineskin. “Have you ever been with her? Sexually?”

“Xena? No. I've never had the pleasure. Unfortunately.”

Perdicus sighed and scrubbed his face with his hands. “I can't talk about her anymore. Tell me more about our armaments.”

Alexander nodded. “Our weaponry consists of bows and arrows, swords, spears, mounted troops, some chariots, catapults…we're pretty well armored so we have that going for us.

“When we meet up with Xena, we will be even stronger. And what she will probably order is that we will hide our true numbers of soldiers during complex maneuvers, which will help with the flow of battle. Our discipline and morale is high and powerful. Sometimes that makes the difference between winning and losing.” He tapped the side of his head. “If you don't have it up here, you'll never have it here.” He then placed his hand over his heart. “Xena orders constant drilling so that everyone's movement is second nature. You don't have that experience so I'll keep you close to me. You're smart, Perdicus, you'll pick it up quickly. Come on, let's get some rest. We'll move back out at last light.” They both retired to their individual bedrolls.

*****

Xena woke up from her short nap, testy. She hadn't slept well at all and had just dozed off when Agathon stood at the entrance of her tent and announced that Argo was ready to go.

“Have the sentry round up my commanders,” Xena snarled at him. “We need a briefing before we move out.” She glared at the young soldier. “Next time, don't saddle Argo until the generals leave and the tent is being taken down.”

“Yes, my Lord,” Agathon said and swallowed audibly.

****

Gabrielle also woke up crabby. She had imbibed too much, stayed up too late and slept fitfully, alone, in that big bed. When Demetira knocked on the door to signal she was bringing in breakfast, Gabrielle sat up way too quickly and instantly felt nauseous, as the room started to spin.

Demetria placed the tray on the table, walked to the windows and threw open the drapes, immediately blinding Gabrielle and sending searing pain to the area behind her eyes. “Good morning, Lady Gabrielle!” Demetria announced.

In reality, Demetria's voice wasn't that loud but, to Gabrielle, it sounded like amplified shouting. Gabrielle closed her eyes tightly and put her hands over her ears. She fell back down onto the bed, her head throbbing, her muscles aching and her stomach more than mildly upset. “Please take it away and shut the drapes, Demetria,” Gabrielle said, her voice gravelly. “I don't think I could keep down porridge this morn.”

Demetria slowly closed the heavy curtains and approached the bed. “It's not your usual, Lady Gabrielle,” Demetria told her softly. “It's peppermint oil in hot water and plain bread to help you feel better before you eat your morn meal.”

Gabrielle's lids cracked open a sliver as she tried to focus on Demetria. “How did you know I wasn't feeling well?”

“Ephiny told Eirene that you and your sister had quite a bit of wine to drink and Eirene put that together with you not having much food in your belly. T'was Eirene's prophecy, not mine.”

Gabrielle closed here eyes again, resting her forearm over them. “Gods bless Eirene,” she mumbled. She attempted to sit up but another wave of queasiness overwhelmed her. Demetria brought her the cup of peppermint water.

“Try this and then take small bites of the bread. It will help. Trust me, I know.”

Gabrielle thought she caught a wink from Demetria. She drew in a couple of deep breaths and finally sat up, accepting the mug from the maid. She let the steam caress her face and took in the aroma of the refreshing oil. It was going to be a long day.

****

Darphus and his new detachment were awakened and rounded up under heavy guard. The former military leader gathered with his disgruntled peers and, the prisoners who were accompanying them, stood in a haphazard formation. Darphus looked around furtively, scanning his immediate perimeter for a possible way to escape.

His searching eyes settled on the Conqueror, who sat tall upon her golden mare, on the slight hill that overlooked his campsite. They locked eyes and he quickly began to study the ground. He knew that she had been reading his mind. When he glanced back up in her direction, she and Argo were gone. He then noticed that the guards had begun to tighten their periphery.

He swore under his breath. Absconding and retaliation would have to wait until another more opportune time.

****

By the end of the first sennight, Gabrielle had gotten used to being in the Conqueror's chambers by herself. She got into a routine of helping Eirene in the kouzína every morning, meeting with her sister and walking the permitted grounds around the gardens and stables, having a mid-day meal, studying in the library, writing down notes for future bardic tales, supping with Lady Cyrene, a relaxing bath and then a limited amount of wine and visiting with Lila before bedtime.

Although, she stayed busy, the young woman still felt the indomitable absence of the Conqueror every morning when she woke up and, especially, every evening when she went to sleep.

****

Xena raised her hand to halt the troops behind her. They had reached the Sea of Marmora, where two of Praxis' ships were waiting to transport Darphus and his condemned group out to the Mediterranean and into the port near Gaza, where they would start their trek across the Syrian desert.

The Conqueror monitored the boarding herself to personally ensure that Darphus ascended the plank and there she remained until the vessels were just dots on the water.

Xena and her army then boarded triremes and cargo ships and crossed the Hellespont into Persian territory. Xena was the first to disembark the lead ship. She carried a banner that represented her empire and planted it deep into the ground. “I reclaim this land in the name of Xena, The Conqueror of the Known World!”

The cheer that went up behind her was deafening.

****

Ares watched his favored with a wicked gleam in his eye. This was the woman he knew and mentored. This was the battle hungry warrior he had fallen in love with, had lusted after from the moment she raised a sword against Cortese.

He laughed victoriously. His Xena was back, in full form and savagely prepared.

Now…what to do about that other little issue.

****

As Alexander's scouts had advised him that the Persians were already configured for combat, Alexander led his troops to the Granicus River with his division battle ready; two lines of hoplights in a phalanx formation, the cavalry annexed directly behind the spear holders and the other brigades hanging back, awaiting orders.

The Persians were far enough away where an attack wasn't immediate but it was imminent. Perdicus' body was buzzing with adrenaline, making him at once excited and terrified. He had witnessed what could only be considered minor skirmishes up until this point but if what the reconnaissance team had told them was accurate, this would be a much bigger, deadlier encounter.

He sat on his mount next to Alexander and studied his friend in silence. He wondered what was going on in the brilliant young man's brain. Alexander then turned to look at Perdicus, as though he had silently heard the question.

“Something on your mind?” Alexander asked his nervous friend.

“Well, yeah. You've got everyone ready to strike right now. We're all exhausted and won't be at our best. Why not cross the river upstream and attack at first light, tomorrow?”

Alexander smiled. “Because that's exactly what they would expect us to do.”

“But what of the fatigue? Won't we be more prone to mistakes?”

“You forget that this is what we do. This is what we prepare for, drill for constantly. You are just in the beginning stages of soldiering, my friend. Most of us have trained for this our whole lives. These troops know that if we wait, the Persians could attempt a sneak attack on us. How many do you think would sleep or rest with that running through their thoughts? No. The time is now.”

Perdicus nodded, understanding the strategy behind it but was still concerned. Yet, he remained silent and continued to ride next to Alexander when the order was given to move out.

As Alexander had predicted, this tactic caught the Persians off guard. When the Macedonian contingent reached east bank of the river, the Persians were haphazardly positioned as though they expected the main assault to come from the west in more than a few turns of the sandglass. It did not take the Persian infantry long, however, to move into a defensive formation. Alexander led the charge in their classic wedge-shaped, smashing into the center of the Persian line. Even the onslaught of arrows, spears and swords against the Macedonians did not deter their mission.

With little difficulty, Alexander's cavalry penetrated the ranks and exposed an opening in the Persian vanguard, and his infantry stampeded through to kill or capture the poorly prepared enemy rear flank. With now, many of the Persian leaders already dead or arrested, all wings of this particular division of soldiers from Persia retreated. Most were killed as they fled

When it was over, a dirty, bloody but exhilarated Perdicus had marveled at Alexander's genius. The lethal Persian chariots they were so on guard for were completely ineffectual in the hindering, deep muddy riverbank of the Granicus. His awe faded quickly though when Alexander told him the foreknowledge of disabling the two wheeled, deadly, horse-drawn carriages was from information Xena had provided.

He was, begrudgingly, starting to respect the woman he hated with a vengeance.

****

Messages by carrier pigeon continued to get back to the palace that the war against the army of Codommanus was successful at every battle. Yes, there were casualties but it was always made clear that Xena, Agathon and Perdicus weren't among them. If any higher-ranking officer had been cut down, an emissary was sent to the soldier's family to make the grievous announcement. Lower ranking soldiers deaths were dealt with on a separate scale, some parents, spouses or family members not knowing for sure until the war was over and the army was back to its normal station.

In the interim, Gabrielle, Lila and Ephiny had become quite sociable with each other, due to the daily security monitoring. One evening, Ephiny finally decided to join the sisters in the Conqueror's chambers. The Amazon studied the bedroom in reverence. She never thought she would ever actually see, much less set foot inside the hallowed, renowned krevatokámara. She couldn't wait to report this back to Terreis. On the other hand, it would probably be best if Terreis met Gabrielle first, since the sovereign's reputation as a master seductress would not put her bondmate at ease when bragging about the intimate chamber.

Lila had long dozed off on the comfortable settee as Gabrielle and Ephiny shared another chalice of wine and the Amazon spoke animatedly about the consummate champion she thought Xena to be.

“Lord Xena's military wisdom is undisputed,” Ephiny said in answer to Gabrielle's question of why the Amazons held Xena in such high esteem. “She has been unconquerable in both embedded engagements and encirclement combat. As well as her speed and nearly flawless logistical, intelligence, communications skills and her meticulous tactical abilities, her genius to improvise is without equal. She was the first leader to embrace allied forces, which is how we came to be in her service; she allows us our traditions and predominant sovereignty, as long as we are loyal to the Realm. She utilizes all aspects of what a full force army should be by harnessing every possible talent and gift an individual has.”

“What does that mean, exactly?” Gabrielle was fascinated by Ephiny's enthusiasm.

“Not everyone has to fight. Once the actual battle has been won, then other soldiers come in to renovate and reorganize the territory, under her specific guidelines. Everyone has to give service to the Realm but they all don't have to shed blood. If your skill is to build, you are used to restore a town or a bridge or a wall. If you're a cook, that's where you contribute on a campaign. If your skill is healing, that's what you are used for. If you are an artist, you help make maps or chronicle the experience in drawings. If you're a scribe…well, you get what I'm saying.”

“Well, that would make sense but we never hear of those people, only of the bloodletters. And her barbarism.”

“That's because that's what she wants her enemies and detractors to know. She does that on purpose.”

“Why?”

“Why let the opposition and competition believe anything different?”

“But what about the peasants, like me? Like my family? Why let us think that? Especially when her minions seem more than happy to enforce the reputation?”

“You said you were a member of The Resistance before she brought you here, yes?”

“Yes.”

“The Resistance is her enemy so you saw the consequences of that.”

“But…we were only resisting because we believed the worst about her. That's what was shown to us by her provincial governors and the regional forces under them.”

“You also said that once she was informed that the hipparchos commander had been micro-managing, she beheaded him.”

After the damage was done.”

“Because she did not become aware until then.”

“So, by your presence and clear acclaim of her, she did not decimate the Amazons as is rumor.”

“When she first came into power, there were clashes because we believed her mission was to conquer us and take over. It wasn't. We negotiated a treaty with her that as long as we did not fight against her, she would leave the Amazons and their customs alone. It took several moons but we worked out a pact that benefits all of us.”

“You really admire her.” It wasn't a question.

“I do,” Ephiny said, unabashedly. “She is unrivaled. And, as long as everyone does what they're supposed to, she's fair. I know many dispute that but she believes in order. As long as that order isn't defied or challenged without merit, we live in peaceful alignment.”

Gabrielle sighed. Maybe if she had known all this before she got captured, she would have been more relaxed and receptive toward bearing this woman's children. Then her thoughts immediately turned to Ares' gift.

Xena needed to come home. Their time was running out.

****

A fortnight and a half later, the Conqueror's army rode into Sardis. Their appearance in the Hermus valley was overwhelmingly intimidating to the Persian scouts. When the Corinthian forces met up with the Macedonian contingent, who came around the other side of Mount Tmolus, the Persian troops that held the city knew there was no way they could win a battle. Xena and Alexander nodded at each other and without saying a word, rode side by side, leading the troops toward the citadel that housed the Persian military stationed there. Before they could even dismount, the Lydian soldiers surrendered.

Xena caught Alexander glance back at Perdicus with a smirk. She rolled her eyes. “Don't get cocky, Alexander. They won't all be this easy.”

“I know, my Lord. We've run into some pretty nasty fighting. This is the first time they've just given up before even crossing the first sword,” Alexander said. “I don't believe it's a coincidence that they see you and decide not to expend the effort.”

Cyane's horse galloped to the front of the formation. “What happened? Why have we stopped?”

Xena inclined her head toward the new prisoners. “Don't need to shed any blood today, it seems.”

Cyane looked shocked at the rows of soldiers before them, on their knees with their hands up. She returned her attention to the Conqueror. “I'm impressed, my Lord.”

“They should all be this obliging,” Narkissa said, as her mount ambled up to the front.

“I wish Cyprus had been like this. Less brutal. Although taking over the Cypriot Fleet was not as challenging as I thought it would be.” Xena had been resting her forearms on her saddlehorn, then she sat up. “Okay,” she announced to her commanders, “process the prisoners, check the fortress thoroughly for any surprises. When you're done, let's set up camp here. We'll meet, rest and reevaluate our mission. Bring me their leaders.” There were responses of, Yes, my Lord and By your will, Lord Conqueror. “We'll hold our position until we're given the all clear,” she said to Alexander. “Then we'll find a comfy place to settle for the night. Hopefully, there's a commander's quarters with a fireplace.”

“Lord Xena?”

Xena turned her attention to Cyane. “Problem?”

“No. I just thought, since we were here, I would visit the temple of Artemis.”

Xena smiled. “Sure, why not? Can't hurt to have a little extra god influence on our side.” She watched Cyane ride off and then looked at Alexander. “How is your charge doing?”

“Perdicus? He's stubborn, angry and jealous. But I'm pretty sure I can channel those emotions into the proper areas.”

“No talk of revenge or coming back for Gabrielle?”

“Talk? Yes. But I hardly think he will back that up. He is slowly but finally realizing that he is no match for you – in any arena – and that you aren't the savage he thought you were. By the way, why did you steal his fiancé?”

“Because she serves a higher purpose for the Realm. She was chosen for a particular task.”

“Do I want to know what that task is?”

“Oh, I'm sure you want to know,” she said and smirked. “I'm not ready to reveal it yet.”

Although Gabrielle was never far from her thoughts, the conversation brought the young bard back into full focus. Her smirk widened into a full-fledged smile while she waited for the signal that told them they could move into the citadel.

Four reconnaissance squads were sent to scout areas north, south, east and west of Sardis while platoons guarded the perimeter of the former Persian stronghold. Beyond the walls, there were brigades of soldiers bivouacking and vigilant, just in case. Inside the walls of the fortification, the Conqueror had allowed a night of celebration, depleting the Persians food and alcohol supply, keeping out just enough to replenish their own. She was perfectly fine with rewarding her forces for a good job done. The commanders and leaders would be temporarily billeted in the many enclosed rooms in the large headquarters building, while their troops would tent up in the practice fields within the vast structure. As long as the scouts came back with no news of an immediate threat, Xena saw no reason why her main Army couldn't have a few days of rest and relaxation. They had earned it.

Xena finally retired to the commander's quarters at first light. Although she had imbibed with Alexander, Narkissa, Cyane, Ceyx and several others in the upper echelon, she never allowed herself to get drunk and lose control. With the presence of Alexander and Cyane, however, she felt safe enough to lock her door for privacy and get some well-needed sleep without having to be personally on high alert.

Before she fully surrendered to Morpheus' world, her thoughts drifted once again to Gabrielle. Xena wondered if she could make it back to Corinth before Ares' gift became defunct.

****

Gabrielle entered the kouzína, took one whiff of breakfast and instantly retreated back to the hallway, holding her belly and drawing in several long breaths. Cyrene happened to be on her way to the kitchen and stopped to see why the young bard seemed so peaked.

“Are you okay, Gabrielle?”

“Yes, Lady Cyrene,” Gabrielle responded, weakly. “Just a bit put off by whatever is Eirene is cooking, I guess.”

Eirene, who had witnessed Gabrielle's hasty departure, approached them from the kitchen. “What's wrong?”

“She said she's okay but she's awfully pale and clammy,” Cyrene said, feeling Gabrielle's forehead, then rubbing her back. “She said the smell of something your cooking is making her ill.”

Eirene looked confused. “But I'm making her favorite…myrtle berries and porridge -”

Gabrielle gagged, slapped her hand over her mouth and ran toward the sink room.

Eirene and Cyrene watched her retreating back, curiously. “What's that about?” Eirene asked. “Yesterday, she couldn't get enough of leeks, watercress and gallus, smothered in pomegranate sauce. She hates leeks and barely tolerates watercress. Now she can't stand the smell of porridge? It has no smell!”

A knowing smile appeared on Cyrene's face. “Has it really been so long, Eirene?”

The cook turned and looked at Cyrene. “So long since what, Lady Cyrene?”

“That you forgot what being pregnant is like?”

Eirene's jaw dropped. She pointed in Gabrielle's direction and then patted her own tummy. “You mean…?”

“Yes. I believe I am going to be a grandmother.”

****

“AUGH! Son-of-a-Gorgon! I don't believe this!” Ares yelled as he threw any item he could get his hands on. “How did this happen?”

Artemis appeared and observed her brother with an amused smile. “Awww, poor baby. You're such a sore loser.”

“Don't gloat, sis. It doesn't become you.”

“Well, you certainly can't say that,” Artemis countered. “Although, this time, you won't get the chance.”

Ares looked at her, accusingly and pointed at her. “You interfered somehow. Admit it.”

“Au contrerus, mon frerus. You know I play by the rules. Face it. They're in love.”

“Impossible.”

“Clearly not. Gabrielle is, indeed, pregnant.” Before Ares could open his mouth to question, she added, “Yes, it's Xena's.”

***

Cyrene accompanied Gabrielle to Heron's that afternoon when her stomach had settled down somewhat from her morning bout of nausea.

Heron performed a thorough examination of the young bard and exchanged knowing looks with Cyrene. The Conqueror's mother had made the decision to keep her suspicion from Gabrielle, until Heron definitively diagnosed the young woman.

After his completed appraisal, he held out his hand and helped Gabrielle sit up. “What is it, Heron? Am I okay? I don't remember ever being this sick.”

“It will undoubtedly get a little worse before it gets better, I'm afraid,” he told her.

“Oh. That doesn't sound good. But I will get better?”

Heron patted her hand and disappeared into one of his back rooms. He returned, carrying a tiny bowl. “I have something to show you that will clear up some of the questions you may have.”

Gabrielle sat up and peered into the small earthenware container, then back up at Heron, her expression one of incomprehension.

“Your seeds have sprouted, Lady Gabrielle,” he explained.

She squinted at the two separate seedlings, then looked back at Heron in confused inquiry. Until it hit her. “I'm…I'm with child?”

“You are with children , my lady. Both of the seeds sprouted. You are expecting a girl and a boy.”

While shock registered with Gabrielle, Cyrene broke into a full grin. “That's my daughter. She never does anything halfway.”

“So Lila and I are both going to have babies around the same time?”

“Your sister's seeds did not sprout, I'm afraid.”

“Not yet, you mean…?” Gabrielle asked, hopefully.

“Not this time,” he said, with finality. “But she's healthy and I'm sure when her husband returns from war, they can and will try again.”

“But…I was cycling. I thought that stopped at conception,” Gabrielle's tone was excited but still cautious.

“Usually but not always,” Cyrene spoke up. “I bled two moons into carrying Toris. It happens.”

“If you start cycling next moon, though, Gabrielle, you will need to tell me,” Heron said. “In the meantime, let's get you started on some ginger root, raspberry leaf and juice, mint and oat straw.”

***

The door to Xena's quarters opened slowly, quietly. Although she had been sleeping soundly and was lying on the bed, facing away from the entry point, her eyes opened instantly. She knew she had bolted the door. How and why was someone in there?

Before the intruder could take another step, Xena was on her feet and had the person trapped between the wall and her body. The Conqueror looked down into sea green eyes and her breath caught. “Gabrielle?”

The petite blonde woman smiled seductively up at Xena. “Is that who you want me to be?”

Xena shook her head to clear her mind. She moved her hand around the woman's neck, her grip tight but not strangling. “How did you get in here?”

“Easily. No one stopped me and the door was unlocked.” Her tone wasn't as bold as it had been.

Xena knew she was lying but why? There were checkpoints in several areas before anyone could get to the commander's quarters. She cocked her head and listened to the frivolity continuing outside her door. There was no sound of fighting or death. She refocused on the woman and loosened her grip slightly. “What are you doing here?”

The sultry smile returned to the girl's face. She lowered her eyes to lazily browse the sovereign's naked body then looked into the ice blue glare that regarded her. She ran her tongue slowly over her teeth and lightly bit her lower lip. “What would you like me to do?”

When the young woman looked up at her though blonde eyelashes, it made Xena's heart skip a beat. Suddenly, infuriatingly, her body began to respond to the closeness of a young woman whose sole purpose seemed to be to give her pleasure, to accommodate her needs, which hadn't been met since she left Corinth.

The girl, reacting to the pheromones in the air, slowly used her foot to slide up Xena's calf, until her knee pushed up against the sovereign's center. “You're so wet and ready, my Lord. Let me take care of you.”

Xena closed her eyes and moaned, releasing her grip on the woman's throat.

****

“What are you doing, brother?” Artemis asked at seeing Ares grin wickedly and rub his hands together in glee. She then saw what he was simpering at. “Are you setting Xena up?”

He ignored the question. “All isn't completely lost. If she fools around with this maiden, the gift is null and void.”

Artemis narrowed her eyes into slits. “What does that mean?”

“I gave her the power to sire but the conditions are she can only be with one recipient and if she did end up having sex with another woman before the time limit was up, it would negate the deal.” They watched as the god's influenced infiltrator began to get Xena worked up. “She has one sennight to go. My only hope is that, because she's so sex deprived at this point – at least for Xena – she won't be able to resist this irritating blonde lookalike.”

“But Gabrielle is already pregnant. If Xena succumbs, what happens to the babies?”

“They will cease to exist and Xena will be fully mine again.”

“Xena will never be fully yours, Ares, regardless of what kind of tricks you play on her or how many times you try to manipulate her into your indentured service.” Artemis shook her head, once again disgusted with her brother's antics. “All you will accomplish is making her hate you more.”

***

Lila woke up to the sound of violent retching. She had spent the night with Gabrielle in the Conqueror's chambers for two reasons. First, she was upset that she was not pregnant and, second, Gabrielle didn't feel well and had asked her to stay.

It had been a long time since she had shared a bed with Gabrielle and certainly never one this large and luxurious. Although the bed in her room was comfortable, there was no comparison to what she was cuddled down into now.

The vomiting had stopped and Lila was about to drift back off to sleep when she heard her sister's weak voice calling to her.

“Lila.” Gabrielle's timber was scratchy and feeble. “Lila, please.”

After the third time her sister said her name, Lila climbed out of bed to see what Gabrielle needed. The younger woman approached the bathing area where she observed Gabrielle on her side, curled up on the floor, apparently too weak to have made the bowl. The several areas of regurgitation were gross but they didn't freak her out. What did, however, was the blood she saw. “Gods, Gabrielle, what's wrong?”

“I don't know,” Gabrielle said, faintly, her strength obviously drained. “Please go get Heron.”

***

“Ares!” Xena summoned, as she finished dressing. She rested her fists on her hips as she impatiently waited for him to appear. “Now, Ares!”

In a bright flash of light, the god of war appeared in all his splendor. “Let's get something straight, Conqueror. I am not at your beck and call,” he barked.

“And, yet, here you are.” Xena placed her sword in its scabbard and attached the chakram to her belt. “Why so cranky, Ares? Let me guess…because your little plan of seduction backfired?”

“How did you know?” He asked more curious than angry.

“You always underestimate me. Big mistake. Plus, the only way she could have gotten by the guards and into my quarters was with your help. No way a little slip of a thing like that could force open a bolted door.” Xena turned to look him directly in the eyes. “Nice touch making her look like Gabrielle, though. It was quite tempting.”

“So why didn't you follow through? She certainly seemed to have you hot and bothered enough.”

“That she did. But I remembered the stipulation of our agreement. That's honestly more important to me than what that girl had to offer last night. There's nothing she could do for me that I couldn't do for myself until I get back to Gabrielle.”

“So you're a contortionist? I'd pay to see that,” he said and smirked.

“I'm taking about release through orgasm, you asshole,” Xena said, without raising her voice. “Now…it's been nearly six moons since you gifted me with the power to sire. When I left Corinth, two moons ago, Gabrielle had yet to conceive. I took her no less than twice a day, every day in the four moons since she came to be with me. She is a healthy young woman and with the virility and fertility from you, we should already be picking out names. There's something you haven't told me and I want to know what it is right now and I want you to get me back to Gabrielle before the time limit has run out.”

Ares puffed up to his full height. “Are you actually telling me what I should and shouldn't do?” His voice was a roar but the bluster didn't affect Xena at all.

She rolled her eyes at him. “Color me impressed by the macho display,” she said, blandly. “Now that you got that out of your system, let me put it to you this way: we had an agreement. I've held up my side. If everything is on the up and up, which with you it never is, I still have fourteen days to get Gabrielle pregnant. I've wasted too much time fighting a battle that clearly my army can handle without me. You have granted me this power and ever since, you've seemed to do nothing but set me up to fail. So either send me back right now or tell me what the condition is that you neglected to advise me of or grant me at least the two moons I was unable to be with Gabrielle.”

Ares scrubbed his face with his hands and began to pace. “You are the most exasperating, ungrateful, demanding -”

“Whatever. Are you going to get me back there with time to finish the job or not?”

Ares drew in a deep breath then blew it out. “What did you do with the maiden?”

“I sent her to Perdicus.” She folded her arms across her chest. “I'm waiting.”

No. I'm not sending you back. You can go on your own but I won't help you get there.”

“Why?” Xena snarled.

“Because…” He hesitated and then his posture slumped. “Because she's already pregnant. You did it,” he conceded.

Suddenly Xena couldn't breathe. She was sure she hadn't heard the god of war correctly. “What?” she asked when she was finally able to find her voice.

“You did it. She's knocked up. She's pregnant with your babies.” Ares seemed to be gritting his teeth.

“Wait… babies? Babe-eeze? As in more than one?”

“Twins.”

Xena took several deep breaths and sat back down on her bed. “And there's no doubt they're ours – hers and mine?”

“No doubt, I'm afraid.”

Instantly a brilliant smile split her face. “Twins. We're going to have twins. I'll finally have heirs.” She jumped up and grabbed Ares, swung him around, then pulled him into a crushing embrace. “Thank you!”

“Yeah, yeah, don't thank me yet,” he told her, thoroughly enjoying the hug. “All I did was give you the power. She still is vulnerable to a lot of things that I have no control over. Nothing is guaranteed.”

She shoved him out to arm's length. “What does that mean?”

“It means, my chosen, that you are on your own now that the agreement has been fulfilled. I promised to allow you to seed her; I never promised anything beyond that.”

“Wait, what? What are you saying?”

Just then there was a knock at Xena's door. “Gotta go,” Ares said and disappeared.

“Ares! Get back here and explain yourself! Ares…!”

The knock sounded again. “Lord Xena?”

She recognized the voice. Within two steps, she was at the door and opened it. “Yes, Narkissa?”

“Sorry to disturb you, my Lord, but we just got word from Praxis that Darphus escaped in Gaza and is on his way back to Corinth.”

****

Cyrene sat on the bed, holding Gabrielle's hand. The young bard was flat on her back, with a cool cloth placed on her forehead. Lila stood by the table, out of the way, while Heron finished his assessment.

“What do you think?” Cyrene asked her cousin.

“Fortunately, everything seems to be all right. It wasn't blood in her vomit; it was red raspberry juice. She must have drank too much of it.”

“Then she's okay?” Cyrene asked.

“Not at this moment but she will be,” Heron replied.

“And the babies?” Lila asked.

“I don't see any indication that they've suffered any consequences. What is happening to Gabrielle is pretty normal for an expectant mother.” He wiped his hands on a thick, square of linen. “It's her body beginning to adjust to the changes that are starting to happen.”

“Well, that's good news,” Cyrene said and let out a relieved sigh. “I remember being sick during my three pregnancies but the blood issue – or what we thought was blood - really concerned me.”

“Will she be like this the whole time?” Lila asked, suddenly rethinking the whole baby matter.

“No,” Heron said. “But this will last longer than anybody likes, especially Gabrielle. I gave her a touch of poppy milk so that she will get some rest and I'll have Eirene send up some ginger tea. That should help calm her belly to a point. Once her stomach settles, we need to get some water back into her system to replace what she threw up. Her skin is quite pinchy. All that can be remedied so she'll be fine.” He looked at Lila. “You might want to stay close by to keep an eye on her.”

“I don't mind sitting with her for a while,” Cyrene said. She glanced over at Lila. “Why don't you go ahead and do your morning routine and you can trade places with me after you've had your breakfast.”

“Thank you, Lady Cyrene,” Lila said, glad someone more experienced than she would be around to look after her sister.

Lila and Heron turned to leave, just as a loud banging was heard on the other side of the door. Heron opened it to see an out-of-breath Ephiny standing there.

“Eph, what's wrong?” Lila asked, surprised to see the usually calm, collected Amazon sweating.

“Just received word that Darphus jumped ship in Gaza and is most likely on his way here.”

“What?” Cyrene dropped Gabrielle's hand and leapt to her feet, walking quickly to stand in front of Ephiny. “They should have reached Gaza well over a moon ago.”

“I know,” Ephiny said. “Which means he might not be that far away. We must get you and Lady Gabrielle to safety.”

Suddenly, all the focus in the room fell to the peacefully sleeping young woman on the bed.

****

A meeting had been called in the praitorion, the large outer office of the commander's quarters. Alexander and all the pertinent generals were in attendance. Xena waited until all her leaders had been accounted for and called everyone to order.

“I've just received word that Darphus started a fire on board the Achilles which, as we know, was bringing him to Gaza. The vessel burned and sank and there were very few survivors. Darphus was reported to have escaped, made it to port and appropriated another ship, turning it back over the Marmora and toward Crete and, ultimately, Corinth.”

“With his loyal troops?” Ceyx asked.

Xena nodded her head to Narkissa, who then stepped forward. “What we could understand from the message is that most of the contingency who supported Darphus have perished, either by fire or drowning. A few were seen accompanying Darphus when he took control of the other ship.”

“He let his own men die?” Alexander asked.

“He never was an honorable man,” Xena stated. “I will be heading back to Corinth as soon as this assembly is dismissed. I will lay out the rest of the battle plan before I go so that everyone understands what their part and purpose is.”

“Excuse me, my Lord, but isn't this exactly what Darphus wants you to do? Wouldn't it be better to send a subordinate?” one of the other leaders asked.

“This is personal. It has to end personally,” Xena said, thinking about Gabrielle. “I will take a bodyguard, Phaedrus, and an equissentry, Agathon, with me, as well as a regiment of cavalry. The rest of you will stay and fight the Persians until they give up or there are no more of them left. I will leave Alexander in charge from here. I assure you all he can guide you victoriously.”

There was some sputtering and a low rumble of conversation until Alexander spoke up and said, “I am honored, my Lord, and I will do justice in the name of you and your Realm.”

“I know you will. You don't have a choice,” Xena told him.

“But, my Lord,” Ceyx began. “Are planning on not coming back? Do you expect Darphus will seize the palace?”

“No, General, I expect to dispatch Darphus once and for all. I'm not planning on returning because I am expecting heirs. My place is in Corinth.”

There was dead silence until Alexander glanced at the Conqueror's flat but well-armored stomach and said, “Um… heirs , my Lord? We did not know you were with child.”

“I'm not.” She cut a glance over to Perdicus who leaned against a back wall. As though he felt her staring at him, he looked up into her eyes and his face fell, clearly realizing now what Gabrielle's “purpose” was. She looked away from him. “All will be made clear when you return after this campaign is successful.” She began to unroll maps. “Let's not waste any more time and lay down some strategy. What's our next trouble area?”

“Gordion, my Lord,” Alexander said.

****

There were several subterranean passageways and two large safe rooms under the palace proper. Ephiny was not familiar with them but Heron and Cyrene were. Xena had drilled them both several times in case of a possible coup.

Karpos stayed in front of the Conqueror's mother and the healer, while Giorgios and Herakles carried Gabrielle, Lila at her sister's side and Ephiny guarding the back. Cyrene barked out directions as they made their way to one of the underground, protected chambers.

When they reached the entryway, that resembled just another section of the wall, Heron pushed on what looked like a dark stain, and the barricade moved heavily forward.

****

Perdicus walked up to Xena in a non-threatening manner while she finished packing Argo's saddlebags. Phaedrus stepped in front of him before he could get too close to the Conqueror. Not even looking at Perdicus, she told Phaedrus to stand down.

“So she's your brood mare,” Perdicus stated, his tone level but not without a hint of hurt.

“No, she is to be the mother of my children.”

“Why? Why her?”

“You wanted her to be the mother of your children, what makes you think she shouldn't be the mother of mine?”

“That's different. We were betrothed.”

“Bet she didn't cross your mind when you were fucking the brains out of that maiden last night,” Xena said, tightening the ties on the leather pouches.

Perdicus immediately looked guilty. “How…how did you know about her?”

“I know everything that happens in my camp.”

He shook that particular distraction out of his thoughts. “We're not talking about her, we're talking about Gabrielle. I love her!”

Xena stopped what she was doing and placed her entire focus on Perdicus. “So do I.”

****

Karpos and Herakles gently placed Gabrielle on a cot in the safe room, leaving her to Cyrene, Lila and Heron to monitor. They then moved to the doorway and stood guard with Giorgios and Ephiny.

“W..what's going on?” Gabrielle mumbled, still under the influence of the mild sedative Heron had given her.

Cyrene tenderly pushed Gabrielle's sweaty bangs off her forehead. “Nothing to worry about, sweetie. We've got you. You just rest.”

Gabrielle nodded, closing her eyes again, feeling mildly delirious. “Mmmkay. Thank you, Lady Cyrene.”

The Conqueror's mother exchanged worried looks with Heron. She then addressed the guards. “I don't care what it takes, we protect her no matter the cost.”

****

Alexander stood by Argo, patting the mare's neck. “Congratulations, Xena. I can certainly understand your concern now about returning to Corinth. And thank you for your faith in me.”

Xena didn't mind Alexander ignoring the royal formalities when no one else was within hearing distance. “You've trained for this role your entire life. I would be more shocked if you couldn't, wouldn't or didn't lead us to a successful conclusion. Besides, we've covered nearly every scenario that Codommannus' army can come up with and how to countermand their strikes. You've got good, trained, experienced people behind you. Let them advise you, let them work with you, let them work for you.”

“You know how much I hate standing off on a distant hill, watching the combat and giving orders as opposed to being right into the thick of things.”

“Yes,” Xena agreed. “You and I are very much alike that way. But you are a commander now not just a leader of your own contingent. You need to absorb the whole picture and not just act on how an immediate battle affects your detachment.”

Alexander nodded and held Argo's reins while Xena climbed onto the golden warhorse. “How long do you think it will take you to reach Corinth?”

“I hope to cut the time in half that it took us to get here.”

“You won't beat him, you know. Whatever damage and destruction he will do will be done by the time you get back there.”

Xena retrieved the reins from her second in command. “News should have reached the palace by now so I'm going to assume precautions have been taken and a defense plan has been set in place. He just has to be held off until I get there. If he manages to hurt or kill anyone close to me, there will be nowhere dark enough or far enough away for him to hide.”

The anger glowing in her eyes sent a chill down Alexander's spine. “I'm glad we're on the same side, Xena. Even with my vast imagination, I don't want to think about how you would get even with me for killing someone you love.”

Xena nodded. She looked over at the rescue party that was about to accompany her back to Greece. “I will keep you apprised of my whereabouts and what happens once I'm back in Corinth. I expect updates from your engagements, as well.”

Alexander took a step back, stood at rigid Attention and bowed his head. “By your will, my Lord.” He looked back up and smiled at her. “Gods speed.”

“Back at you, Commander,” Xena said. She clicked her tongue and pulled at Argo's reins to get the palomino moving. “Move out!” she ordered the detachment.

****

Gabrielle awakened from her sleep feeling less nauseous and more cognizant of her surroundings. She lifted her head and scanned the room she was now in. She slowly sat up, waiting for dizziness and more queasiness but her stomach seemed stable and her mind was only foggy from sleep. “Where are we?” Her question was put out to anyone in the room, not one person in particular.

“Gabby,” Lila gasped, relieved and moved to sit beside her sister. “How are you feeling?”

Cyrene joined Gabrielle and Lila on the bed. “We're in the safe room.”

Gabrielle blinked a few more times then looked at Lila. “Better. My mouth has a horrible taste in it but I don't feel like throwing up.” She leaned over farther and glanced at Cyrene. “Safe room? Why?”

“Just as a precaution,” Cyrene said. She tried to smile, reassuringly but failed.

“What's going on?” Gabrielle asked, her eyes narrowing in suspicion.

Everyone exchanged cautionary looks, no one volunteering information until Ephiny stepped away the door. Before she spoke, Gabrielle drew in a sharp breath. “Has something happened to Xena?”

“No, no,” Ephiny assured her. “I mean, not that we've heard and I'm sure that news would spread like wildfire. No, Lady Gabrielle, it's Darphus. He escaped his confines, stole a ship and turned back. We just want to make sure we keep you out of harm's way.”

Gabrielle scanned the small room, then re-engaged Cyrene. “But…what about Eirene and Demetria and Chrysanthe or -”

“We had to get here as quickly as possible,” Heron said.

“But don't they need safety and protection, too? They're important,” Gabrielle stressed.

“They aren't carrying heirs to the throne,” Heron stated, getting right to the point.

This remark caused everyone in the room who had no prior knowledge of this information to stop dead in their tracks. Ephiny's eyes widened and focused on Gabrielle. She swallowed visibly and turned back toward the entrance of the safe room, absorbing the significance of this new revelation. “Hera's tits.”

****

The city of Corinth could be seen in the distance as Darphus and his small ragtag collection of about a dozen followers set up camp for the night. Knowing Xena was many leagues away in the depths of Persia by now, he couldn't wait to storm the palace. Even if the Conqueror had been informed of his status, there was no way she could get back here before the morning.

He stood in the thicket of trees on an embankment and studied the outline of the royal residence, which was now lit by many candles and lanterns. A filthy, rough looking man stood next to Darphus and stared in the same direction as the former general.

“Tomorrow, that will be ours,” the man said, patting his round belly, dirt and dust coming off his clothes.

Darphus eyeballed him then refocused on Corinth. “Tomorrow, it will all be mine. If you live through the siege, I'll think about where you might fit in my empire.”

“Like you'll have much choice,” the man said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. “I'm looking forward to getting me some wenches once the fighting is over.” He grabbed his crotch, lewdly. “It's been too long.”

A nasty smile crossed Darphus' features as he envisioned a particular blonde peasant and her sister. “And I know just the wenches to start with.”

****

Horses emerged from a large dust cloud reaching the seaport on the coast of Anatolia, where a fully staffed trireme awaited the Conqueror and her cavalry unit. They boarded quickly and orderly and set sail as soon as the last horse set hoof on deck.

On the Conqueror's orders, they had ridden hard, all night to arrive at the gulf of Smyrna. Even though it was less distance from there to Corinth than from Gaza, Darphus still had too much of a head start.

Xena took over the helm and ordered all sails up that would push them quickly onto the Aegean and in the direction of Cyprus. Three levels of rowers would also increase their speed. She just hoped it would be enough to get her home in time.

*****

The palace had been secured. Drawbridges were up, entrances, ascents and areas of ingress were bolted and heavily guarded and all turrets and walls manned and at the ready.

Autolycus moved swiftly through the main indoor quad of the citadel feeling confident that they could either hold off any assault until more back-up arrived or destroy the threat altogether. He wasn't sure what the numbers were Darphus was bringing with him but the closest battalion was just outside the city limits. The former general would have to get through them first.

Still, the swaggering, roguish Autolycus, with all his false bravado, was nervous. This was the first time Xena had ever left him in charge of the entire domicile and now he actually had to earn her faith and prove his mettle. This was what he got for arrogantly thinking it would be a cake-walk.

He sped into the kitchen and grabbed Eirene by the elbow, leading her down a staircase to a lower level. “What are you doing here? You were supposed to clear out with the other staff.”

“I had to make sure that Lady Cyrene and Lady Gabrielle had food. I placed enough for a couple of days in the dumbwaiter and sent it down.”

“Your loyalty is appreciated, Eirene, but the Conqueror will hang my backside on a stake on the highest tower if I let something happen to you.”

“I understand but they have to eat. And we are so well protected by layers of soldiers, I'm sure I have plenty of time to get to -”

“Hello, Eirene. Autolycus. Nice to see you both again. Well, not really, but nice to be back where I belong,” Darphus said, sword in hand. He had appeared from around a corner, stopping them dead in their tracks.

“How'd you get in here?” Autolycus asked.

“I was one of the highest ranking officers in the former Conqueror's army. Did you think I would not know ways into and out of the palace that others would not?”

“Former Conqueror? Is Xena…dead?” Autolycus asked, his heart thudding in his chest.

“I certainly hope not. I intend to make her my body slave. Meet your new Emperor,” he said and bent at the waist with an exaggerated bow.

“If Xena isn't dead or captured, I think you're putting the cart before the horse, Darphus,” Autolycus said.

With lightening speed, Darphus slammed the hilt of his sword against Autolycus' head. This caused the Chief of Staff to stagger backward and fall to the floor. “I never liked you, Auto,” Darphus said, as Eirene gasped and ran to her companion, glaring at the former general.

“You dreadful, brutish thug!” Eirene spit out.

“Now, now, Eirene. I've always liked you. Your kids, not so much, but I'll keep you around because no one can cook like you. Now, tell me, where would that little blonde whore of Xena's be hiding? I have plans for her.”

“You'll never find them,” Eirene snapped, helping Autolycus to his feet. “We don't even know where they are.”

Darpus rammed his sword hilt into Autolycus' face, knocking him down again. “I don't believe you,” he said to a horrified Eirene. “Tell me now or I'll kill him.”

“She doesn't know,” Autolycus moaned, attempting to sit up.

“But you do, don't you, Auto?” When he didn't answer, Darphus grabbed Eirene and placed the blade of his sword to her throat. “I can always find another cook. Tell me or her blood will be on your hands.” Then he smirked. “Well, all over you, really.”

****

“It's so quiet,” Lila said, as she took a bite out of a slice of bread. Cyrene and Gabrielle had unloaded the tray of provisions from the small food lift that had been sent down by pulley from the kitchen.

“These walls are pretty thick,” Ephiny said.

“But shouldn't we hear something?” Lila asked.

“I think we fare better when it's quiet. Besides, clearly Eirene is still safe or we wouldn't have the rations we do now,” Heron said.

Everyone returned their attention back toward the door and listened for the sounds of…something.

****

As other members of her team had at least napped, Xena had not yet closed an eye. Apollo's chariot was about to finish its journey across the sky and they were barely to Cyprus.

Her stomach began to roil and her pulse sped up. She had a bad feeling that was more than physical. Suddenly a stab of excruciating pain shot through her entire being, centered in her heart

****

The solid stone wall that was the entrance to the safe room began to move inward. Heron stood in front of Gabrielle, Lila and Cyrene as Karpos, Herakles and Giorgios took defensive battle positions. Ephiny quickly strung her bow and had an arrow ready.

A shadow was cast into the room from the outside and just as the royal guard were about to unleash a coordinated onslaught on the intruders, Ephiny yelled to the others to stop. Something familiar flashed in her trained eye and she leapt forward to grasp an arm, yanking the figure inside, ordering the rest to close the door.

“Xena!” Gabrielle exclaimed, shocked and grateful.

Ephiny held the Conqueror up while Cyrene and Heron ran to her. “What are…how did you get here?” Ephiny asked, beating everyone else to the question.

The sovereign shook her head, somewhat dazed, took a couple deep breaths and focused. Her eyes sought out one person. “Gabrielle,” she breathed and strode to her, wrapping her into a secure, loving embrace. “Are you all right?”

Tears streamed down the expectant mother's face. “I am now.”

Cyrene watched the couple. “Not that I'm not glad to see you, daughter, but weren't you supposed to be in Sardis? How in the name of Hades did you get here?”

“By the grace of the gods, I suppose,” she said, looking up. She immediately refocused on the group in the room. “Catch me up to speed here.”

****

Artemis appeared in Ares' main temple to find him lazily draped over his throne.

“You know, if you keep doing things like that, you're going to lose your street cred,” Artemis said.

“Yeah, whatever,” he said, nonchalantly.

“So why?”

“I told you before. I can't deny her. Besides, she's going to have kids. A whole new generation for me to mentor, so I see it as a win-win.”

Artemis chuckled. Upon her disappearance into thin air, Ares heard his sister's sing-song voice echo, “Ares is a mushball, Ares is a mushball.”

***

Darphus was half-pulling, half-dragging Eirene, the blade of his sword having nicked the cook's neck in several places already. She had told Autolycus to not give up the location of the family safe room but it fell on deaf ears.

Autolycus found the section of wall with the dark stain and lowered his head. “Forgive me, Xena,” he mumbled to himself. He looked up at Darphus. “There. I've led you to it. Give me Eirene,” he pleaded.

“You think I'm an idiot?” Darphus asked, almost cackling. He saw the introspective expression on the Chief of Staff's face and stopped laughing.

Autolycus stepped back just in time to miss the swing of Darphus' sword. The weapon then returned to Eirene's throat.

“Open it. You and she will go first. That way, any attack will kill you both while I then have the element of surprise.”

The weary, hurting Chief of Staff flattened his palms against the stain and the section of wall began to move forward.

With one good thrust, the door opened wide enough to see the inside. Darphus' murderous countenance fell at the sight that greeted him and all the blood drained from his face.

****

“Hello, Darphus,” Xena said, her voice a deceptive purr. “Miss me?”

He appeared to be paralyzed by the shock of seeing her.

Autolycus took that opportunity to grab Eirene and pull her away, to safety. He joined the others behind the door, while Ephiny and the guards monitored the Conqueror's well-being.

“H…how…?” His voice was raspy, strangled.

“You've never been good at following orders, have you? Pity. Not for me but definitely for you.” She swiveled her sword around her hand and took a fighting stance.

Darphus' eyes scanned the safe room, noting the small quartet of armed soldiers positioned in front of the Conqueror's mother, the young blonde, her sister and Heron. “What's the matter, Xena? You have all these people backing you up. Don't think you can beat me without them?” Darphus taunted.

Xena's laugh was genuine. “Don't flatter yourself. They have been ordered to stand down. No, I want the pleasure of beheading you and staking that ugly mug of yours in front of the palace for everyone to see – again – what happens to traitors of the Realm.”

Sweat began to bead above the former general's upper lip and forehead. “And if I surrender?”

“And have you in my dungeon, building another insurrection, plotting to kill my children and their mother since you don't have the guts to face me? I think not.”

Darphus' eyes narrowed. “Children? Their mother? What children?” His tone was more confused than frustrated. Then it appeared to dawn on him. “Ah. So that's what you're doing with the little peasant. You should have at least picked better stock of whore to -”

Xena's fist smashed into Darphus' nose with a sickening crack, squish and gush. He screamed like a girl and dropped his sword. The Conqueror watched him roll on the floor trying to hold the blood in. “All these morons with a death wish.” She raised her sword. “Happy to oblige.”

***

Xena lay down on the bed with an immensely pregnant Gabrielle. She lightly, lovingly rubbed her hand over the young bard's huge, protruding belly. “Shouldn't be long now, love,” Xena told her.

“Thank the gods. I can barely stand upright anymore.”

“Are you excited?” Xena asked, her expression showing one of thrilled anticipation.

A grin spilt Gabrielle's face. “As much as you are.” She looked down at her stomach. “Okay, maybe a little more.”

Xena took Gabrielle's hand in hers, brought it up to her lips and kissed Gabrielle's fingers. Have you thought anymore about names?”

“I'm still partial to Lyceus and Alexandra.”

“Lovely thought, Gabrielle, but I would like them to have their own identities. If you'd like we could give them two names to still honor our loved ones.”

“Two names? I never thought of that.”

“How about Solon Lyceus and Eve Alexandra?”

“Solon and Eve. I love that, Xena. Solon and Eve,” she repeated, satisfied with Xena's suggestions. “I won't tell Lila, though. She'll want to steal the names.”

“I thought she'd decided on the name Hecuba, after your mother.”

“After she'd decided on Cyrene, after yours.”

Xena chuckled. “Well, she still has a couple moons to go before she has to make a decision. You'll definitely beat her to that punch.”

“What's the latest from the Perisan front?” Gabrielle asked.

“Are you asking how Perdicus is doing?” Xena asked, knowingly. After Gabrielle nodded, Xena said, “All reports say he's really pulling through for Alexander. He's been made a captain and taking his responsibilities quite seriously.”

“Good. I'm glad. He deserves to accomplish at least one of his life's dreams.” Gabrielle looked curiously into the Conqueror's eyes. “And the campaign is still on track with your initial plans?”

“So far. They took Issus and are now on their way to Tyre.”

“So Alexander is doing a good job?”

“He has surpassed all my expectations. In fact, history probably won't even remember me now that he's overthrown and taken back most of Persia.”

“I don't believe that,” Gabrielle said, pragmatically. “If not for you, there would be no Alexander.”

“Maybe I need my own scribe to make sure my reign stays chronicled in the archives. Know anyone who might be able to do that?” Xena raised an eyebrow, looking down at Gabrielle.

“I think I could -” A look of panic crossed Gabrielle's face.

“What? What is it?” Xena sat up.

“I…I think my water broke.”

*****

The End.

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page