Two Part Harmony
By Colleen

This is an alternate uber story. The physical descriptions of the two lead characters may remind you of two others we all know and love, but all characters in the story are from my own imagination. This story is an original work and is copyrighted by the author. It cannot be sold or used for profit in any way. Copyright 2007.

This story depicts a loving relationship between two consenting, adult women and contains scenes of intimacy, but nothing too explicit. If you are under 18 years of age or if this type of story is illegal in the state or country in which you live, please do not read it. If depictions of this nature disturb you, you may wish to read something else.

There are a few bad words and some violence.

 

Feedback will be welcomed at Khall828@earthlink.net

I have also created a group for discussions of this, past and future stories. Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/colleens_corner

 

Chapter 7

The ruse of Skylar’s ‘boyfriend’ had worked perfectly. Bo had sent them out to a number of public events and locations, where they performed according to his instructions. The press loved the beautiful couple, especially photos of them arm in arm or lips to lips. Skylar hated every minute of her time with Barnes, mostly because she was being forced into it. Adam was a nice enough man, but changed from the boy she had known in high school. The simple fact that he had accepted money to date her was telling of his current set of morals.

* * *

The buses rolled into the Midwest for more sold out concerts. Bo continued to schedule interviews, photo shoots and personal appearances. It got to the point where Sky was only getting three or four hours of sleep a night and it was beginning to show in her appearance. Extra makeup was needed to cover her pallor and the dark circles present under her eyes upon waking. Those eyes, normally sparkling and lively, were now lackluster with a misery she could no longer mask. Each morning she loaded herself up with a dozen vitamins followed by a gallon of caffeine. A variety of fast, unhealthy foods had also made antacids a daily addition. Her friends were getting very worried. But Skylar continued to insist that she would be fine. She had no choice.

Also worrying on her mind were the increasingly threatening letters. Sky was receiving ten to fifteen a week and the stalker was starting to mention more personal facts surrounding her everyday life and those of the people around her. The proper authorities had finally been notified, but little progress was being made to track down the offender. Bo hired a bodyguard, but Skylar insisted on hiring her own protection to keep stealthy watch when she was not in the public eye. Someone who would be extremely discreet and would follow only her instructions.

Six foot, four inch, sandy haired, Shawn Fox was hired by Bowers to shadow Skylar Ramsey from dawn to whenever she finished her business day. Sky’s personal choice, Jodi Myers, wasn’t overly endowed with height or muscle, but definitely with intellect and courage. A fifteen year army veteran, Jodi had a keen sense of awareness and a near photographic memory. Sky hardly ever saw her, but knew she was always there if she would be needed.

* * *

The singer had returned to LA to participate in a special, one time only, charity concert, where Sky shared the bill with five other popular stars. Sky and her band were currently on stage practicing the five songs they were asked to perform. After two hours of demanding rehearsal, Sky was sitting on a chair with the microphone dangling from her listless hand. She had just attempted a ballad, but could only make it halfway through before her voice cracked and finally failed.

Kyra approached her friend and pulled the shirt back up on her drooped shoulder. The garment sagged on the body that had unhealthily shed at least fifteen pounds over the grueling weeks. The blonde singer ran a hand through her friend’s dark, dull hair. “Sky,” Kyra said worriedly, “you need to get some rest.”

“I plan to,” Sky spoke hoarsely, “as soon as we’re done here.”

Bo suddenly charged into the concert hall and slithered down the aisle like a serpent on the scent of a hefty rodent. “Change in plans Cash,” he said, gaining her attention with an obnoxious clap of the hands. “I just arranged a last minute interview, but you have to go across town right now. Let’s go!”

“You don’t have to do this,” Kyra whispered to the star. “Let me take you home.”

Bo leaned on the stage and anxiously tapped a pen on the hard surface. “Now,” he called out, “they’re waiting! And put a smile on that stone face.”

Sky took a deep breath, but the necessary muscles were almost too tired. “I might as well get this done,” she slurred. “It won’t take long.” Mustering up all the energy she could, Sky slowly pushed herself from the chair. She took two steps and dropped back down, her shaky legs folding beneath her like a newborn fawn. Her face registered no surprise or pain, just a blank stare. Her head was spinning like a Kansas tornado and the chunk of rock in her belly was rolling to a furious beat.

“Sky!” Kyra knelt beside her sick friend and then helped Shawn lift the singer back into the chair. “Get some water,” the blonde ordered.

Sky’s expression remained unchanged as she insisted in a monotone voice that she was fine. But her words wouldn’t have convinced a three year old. Her arm trembled as she took hold of a bottle of water and slowly sipped.

Bo ran for the stairs and over to his client. “Everybody except Shawn outta here. You’d better be more careful Ramsey,” he barked, “you can’t dance across this stage with a broken leg. Now drink that down and let’s go.”

Kyra whirled on him like a mini cyclone. Her face was ruddy with anger and frustration. “She’s not going anywhere,” she yelled, “but to a hospital! Back off and leave her alone.”

“I’ll do what ever I want, you little shit.” He pushed past Kyra, but she grabbed his stout arm and got between him and the sick woman again.

“Just look at her!” Kyra shouted. “You are killing her! And I’m putting a stop to it right now.”

They continued to exchange enraged words as Sky listened. She feared for the woman she secretly loved, but just could not find the physical strength to defend her. Her mind screamed for him to stop and she suddenly flashed back to the incident that had shattered her innocent childhood. She hadn’t been able to scream then either. Maybe it would have been different if she had…maybe not. But she wasn’t going to let Kyra suffer in her defense.

“You’re out of here, McCall,” Bo demanded. “You’ve been nothing but a pain in the ass from day one.” Kyra finally just ignored him, looking back to her friend, and that angered him even more. Bo was always charged by a good fight. “Don’t turn away from me!” he shouted.

From the corner of her eye, Kyra saw his fingers curl into a fist. She met his gaze and challenged him. Probably a foolish move, she thought in a distant part of her brain. But she said it anyway. “Go on and hit me Bo. I’ve got a lot of witnesses here, and a perfect lawsuit.” He looked to see the other members of Sky High standing off stage, but watching the drama with testifying eyes. “How’s that for publicity,” she added with another bit of audacity. Her love for Skylar had bolstered many aspects of her personality, and that intense emotion had also manifested a new resolve. Be she lover or just best friend, Kyra was willing to put her life on the line for Skylar Ramsey.

And by the expression on Bo Bowers face, that may just be the case. His obsidian eyes glistened, not with tears, but with molten hatred. The veins at his temples throbbed with an even, but rapid beat. “You bitch!” His voice reached the cheap seats without the aid of electronic enhancement. But before another insulting word was fired from his throat a small, but stern voice rose up.

“Get away from her!” Sky stood shakily and abruptly inhaled more oxygen. “I’m leaving with Kyra,” she said determinately. “That’s it.”

Kyra draped a listless arm over her shoulder. “Shawn, can you help me get her to the car?”

The top of Bo’s head was about to explode. But the twit is right; I can’t do anything here. “All right Cash,” he said with an unusual calmness, “you can have your way…this time. You take the rest of the day off, but tomorrow…”

The rest of his useless words faded into the wind as the trio entered the parking lot. With Skylar slumped in the seat next to her, Kyra pulled away, figuring out the best way to get to the nearest hospital.

“Let’s go to my house,” Sky mumbled.

Kyra took a right turn. “I think you need to see a doctor.”

“I know. My doctor will see me there.”

“Well, if you’re sure.” Kyra headed for the onramp and in twenty minutes they were pulling up to the front gate of Sky’s home. The singer slowly rattled off the six digit code for the locked entry. They quickly drove past Jodi’s car and up to the front door. Sky knew she couldn’t climb the stairs, so Kyra helped her into the first floor guest room and immediately placed a call to the doctor. The blonde then removed Sky’s shoes and retrieved a pair of soft cotton sleep pants and a t-shirt. “Can you change by yourself?” she asked timidly.

“I’ll try.” With some difficulty Sky managed to shrug out of her close fitting jeans, but faltered trying to slip her long leg into the mint green pajamas. “I…um…need a little help,” she muttered.

Kyra turned back with a gentle smile. “You got it.” The two legged garment went on with no problem and she began to unbutton the simple shirt Sky was wearing. With just a slight hesitation Kyra climbed onto the bed behind her friend and peeled off the pale yellow and blue cloth. Kyra had had fantasies about that…but of course her best dreams could not be fulfilled. As impossible as it seemed, Kyra heard her sick friend intone a slightly erotic sound as she unhooked the lacy bra. They both still fought the constant, strong, physical attraction they had for one another. The close friendship nearly satisfied their emotional needs, but that desire to lie together skin to skin and share their bodies was unquenchable. Sky finally pulled the straps away and let it fall to the floor. With a final grunt of exertion, she wrangled her arms into the shirt Kyra was holding over her head.

Kyra got back to her feet and softly tapped Skylar on the leg. “How about something to drink? Maybe it’ll help you stay awake until your doctor gets here.”

Skylar was still drained, but she did feel a little better now that she was in comfortable clothes, in her own house, with her best friend by her side, and knowing that no one was going to make demands on her. “Yeah, that sounds good,” she said, mustering a half grin. “There’s some orange juice in the refrigerator. And help yourself to anything you find in the kitchen.”

* * *

An hour later, the doctor had come and gone, pronouncing that Sky was suffering with nothing more critical than exhaustion, although that was serious enough. She was going to spend a few days in bed and she began to very seriously ponder his other recommendation. Kyra took control of the situation, informing the bodyguards and the other band members of the prognosis and the plan. Dr. Rudy insisted on talking to Mr. Bo Bowers himself, assuring Sky that he could handle the outrageous manager. Kyra also vowed, after a mild protest from her patient, to stay and take care of Skylar for as long as necessary.

Kyra pulled the curtains across the bedroom window, shutting out the midday sun. “Now get under those covers,” she instructed, “and close your eyes. I’ll be right here when you wake up.”

Skylar fell asleep before Kyra shut the door to the room.

* * *

Six hours later, Kyra eased the door back open and stepped into the dimly lit room. Skylar was curled on her side, in the exact same position as Kyra had last seen. She sat down in the chair beside the bed and closely examined the very beautiful face. She certainly didn’t want to disturb her ailing companion, but she also realized that Sky needed a warm, nutritious meal to help her recuperate. Still she was reluctant to wake the sleeping woman. She didn’t have to agonize for long as the pair of cobalt eyes flickered sluggishly and finally opened.

“You’re still here,” Skylar slurred.

Kyra smiled and brushed away a few locks of dark brown hair. “I promised,” she said. “I’ll be here as long as you need me.”

Skylar stared with remarkable focus. She finally spoke with a clear and intense manner. “I always need you.” But her fight soon dwindled and the heavy lids drooped shut once again. She rearranged her sore body on the mattress, so Kyra knew she wasn’t asleep just yet.

“I didn’t mean to disturb you,” the blonde said.

“You didn’t. I was having a dream about you.” A smile draped across Sky’s relaxed, but still pale face.

Hmmm, Kyra thought, I’m not sure if I want to know the details. But I can imagine. She easily changed the subject. “I’ve prepared some food; do you think you can sit up and eat?” The dark head bobbed. Kyra opened the curtains to let in the waning sunlight and returned to find Sky attempting to stand. “Whoa, let me help you.”

“I just need to go to the bathroom,” Sky explained. With a little help, she made it there and back safely.

Kyra turned on some soft, soothing music and went to retrieve their food. She returned shortly and they shared a healthy and tasty meal of some vegetable soup and a loaf of crusty bread. A fresh fruit salad finished the meal off nicely. They talked for a bit longer until Skylar’s yawns became infectious.

* * *

After a full night’s sleep, Skylar awoke feeling light and cheerful in spirit, but stiff and aching in body. She slipped into a robe and shuffled her way into the bathroom, then on to the kitchen where she found Kyra standing at her stove. “Good morning.”

Only slightly startled, the cook turned to greet her. “Good morning. Wow, you look better already. Have a seat.” Kyra delivered a tall glass of orange juice and a cup of coffee; half caffeine she explained, to wean the singer from too much of the dangerous stuff.

Skylar had a suspicious grin on her face as she sipped her juice. Kyra didn’t pay it much attention and went back to the stove to flip her pancakes. She plated them up and set the stack of five in front of Skylar. The star was still grinning.

“Okay, what’s up?” Kyra asked.

Skylar pushed up from the table and moved into Kyra’s personal space. Kyra eyed her warily, but not unhappily as their bodies touched. The blue eyes twinkled. “You have the cutest smudge of pancake batter right here.” Sky pointed to her cheek, wiped the yellow goo with her thumb and licked it away. “Mmm, very sweet.”

Kyra held her eyes and very much wanted a sample from the same utensil. But friends don’t do things like that.

Do they?

Sky gave a ghost of a wink and sat back down.

I didn’t think so.

Nearlya dozen pancakes and an equal amount of bacon disappeared with ease as they talked. “You still look tired,” Kyra commented casually.

Skylar sighed. “I am. This is the first time I’ve ever said this, but staying in bed all day sounds really good.”

Sounds good to me too, Kyra thought with a mental leer. I have got to stop thinking like that. It just isn’t gonna happen for us. “Then I’m gonna stay and help you,” she said out loud. “If you don’t mind that is.”

“Of course I don’t mind. I just don’t want to burden you.”

Kyra slowly reached across the table and put her hand over Skylar’s. “Helping you could never be a burden. It’s what best friends do.”

Sky sipped her flavorful brew as a daunting flash of an image drifted across her mind. Her memory was a bit fuzzy, but her guilt filled in the blanks. “I’m so sorry for the things he called you yesterday.”

The little singer shook her head determinately. “Doesn’t bother me a bit; I just consider the source. But I hate what he does to you Sky. I’m afraid for you.” The desperation in her tone made Sky’s heart clench.

Skylar looked away momentarily, unable to deal with the pain in her friend’s eyes. “I know you don’t understand why I keep him around, but he won’t do this to me again. I promise you that. To tell you the truth it scared me, the way I felt on that stage yesterday.” She returned to the green eyes, hoping her next words would sooth. “But I’m taking some of the power back.”

* * *

Skylar slept on and off for most of the day while Kyra cleaned, watched TV and worked on some songs. She had been suddenly inspired with lyrics about the bonds of true friendship. Kyra also had a good phone conversation with her sister and checked in with her grandparents. She prepared two more meals, really starting to feel at home in the bright and well organized kitchen. The large room was very modern with its stainless steel appliances and high polished, black granite countertops. It had every machine of convenience, small to large, making it a joy to work in. That evening, Kyra chopped, sliced and stirred as the chicken casserole easily came together under her skillful hands.

They enjoyed the most recent meal together, Kyra especially. Although she regretted the reason for her being in Sky’s home, she loved taking care of her, spending the quality time, talking and laughing with her best friend. But Kyra knew the arrangement was temporary. In just a few days Sky would be able to once again care for herself and Kyra would return to her lonely hotel room.

After dinner, Skylar managed the flight of stairs to her master bedroom, where she luxuriated in a nice long bath. She then dressed in warm, if not alluring pajamas and studied her reflection in the mirror. The eyes that looked back wore the colorful shades of a dozen emotions. There was sadness, envy, anger, guilt, a touch of fear and a few more she couldn’t even put into words. It wasn’t just the physical strains that had driven her to such a low point. She had been dealing with…or maybe not dealing with all of those conflicting feelings for too long. And things weren’t going to get any easier anytime soon, she realized. But she had learned a painful lesson. Skylar knew she needed help. If she couldn’t relieve all the stress then she was going to have to find a way to manage it. A therapist was the answer; one that Bo wouldn’t know about. Skylar would have to tell the complete truth if she was going to get the help she needed. The time was also coming when she was going to be totally honest with Kyra about her past and Bo’s hold over her. She only hoped it would ease their complicated relationship.

Skylar dried her long hair; a task that left her drained of her slowly replenishing energy. She padded slowly into the bedroom wondering what to do, not really wanting to go to sleep so early. On the nightstand there was a book that was she only half finished reading. A bored sneer curled the right side of her mouth. The stack of CDs in the chair held no appeal either. Well, what am I…

Knock, knock.“Do you mind some company?”

Sky turned back to the door, a full smile brightening her face. Just what the doctor ordered.

“I’m not sleepy,” Kyra said coyly, “And I didn’t really want to be alone.”

“Me neither.” Skylar held out her hand. “Come on in. I think we can find something to do.”

* * *

They watched a movie that night while perched on Skylar’s large, comfortable bed. The laughs felt good. Being together felt even better. Protected under the roof of Skylar’s house, hidden from watchful eyes, they were allowed to indulge in the innocent flirting, the affectionate teasing, the intimate conversations and the pure joy of their special friendship. With that shadow lifted, albeit temporarily, something had been changing during the hours they had been spending together. There was a surprising moment during a slow point of the movie when their eyes connected. And it happened. Without words, without moving and without touching, they moved even closer. Their hearts and their souls transported to a deeper level, a more intense bond. And it felt wonderful.

But still they kept a certain distance between their bodies. It was better that way.

With just fifteen minutes left of the funny flick, Kyra looked over to find Skylar slumped back into her fluffy pillows, eyes closed and already playing in her happy nighttime visions. At least Kyra hoped she was having good dreams. “I hope all of your dreams come true,” she whispered as she reached out to play with a few locks of dark hair. Kyra fought the powerful urge to snuggle up to the body that she not only wanted to hold for the rest of the night, but the rest of her life. “I love you Skylar.” The feeling was best left silent even though it was fiercely felt. Kyra turned off the television and pulled the blanket up to her friend’s shoulders. She left only after placing a kiss upon a soft cheek

* * *

The next afternoon, Kyra overheard a rather fiery phone conversation. She didn’t detect the topic or any specific words, but the identity of the person on the other end of the line was all too obvious. Half an hour later, Skylar finally emerged from her bedroom. She was wearing a thin robe, the fine form of her bare legs and feet displayed brilliantly beneath the short, white garment. “I feel like doing some laps,” she told Kyra.

“Are you sure you’re up to something that strenuous?”

Sky smiled. “My doctor said as soon as I had the strength I could start some exercises. Need to rebuild my stamina…slowly,” she added to stave off any further worries.

Kyra nodded and said, “Have a good time. That water should feel good.” It was nearly October, but the temperature controlled pool was almost always perfect.

Skylar patted her on the shoulder and headed for the back of the house. She suddenly stopped and walked slowly back to where her friend sat drinking tea. “Umm, I have an idea,” she started, “how about you borrow a suit and enjoy the water too. No one else is around. You can keep a big towel by the edge and cover up if you feel… I’ll stick to doing my laps; I won’t even pay any attention to you… I mean…”

“I know what you mean Sky.” Kyra got up and chastely hugged the tall singer. “Thank you. I would enjoy some time in the pool.”

A satisfied grin. “Good.”

Kyra chose a sedate tangerine and yellow, one piece suit. Wearing a nearly matching beach towel, she walked out to the placid pool, shed the covering and quickly slid into the beautifully, temperate water. The lovely liquid felt so good on skin long denied the pleasure of the touch. Baths and even her short time in the hot tub could not compare to the freedom of the open water around her as Kyra dropped completely under. She savored the sensation for as long as she dared then made a grand re-appearance, the water splashing all around her. A triumphant yell signaled her childlike glee and the good family memories the experience released. And who did she have to thank?

True to her word, Skylar looked away and entered the pool at the other end. She began her rhythmic laps much to Kyra’s enjoyment. The blonde didn’t really feel the need to swim; just resting against the underwater steps was delightful. Just a few minutes later, Skylar glided over and joined her friend on the platform.

“Damn,” she complained, “I could only do twelve laps. I could always do fifty or more.” She grabbed her towel and scrubbed her face.

“You will again,” Kyra assured. “You just have to be sure and take time for yourself each day to swim, go to the gym or whatever you can.”

Skylar nodded and just floated for a few quiet minutes. She made abstract patterns in the water with a lazy finger. Beside her, Kyra had her eyes closed, her head resting on the smooth ledge of the pool. It was a warm day, but the glaring sun was currently hiding behind a sky full of clouds.

“Want to know what I’m going to do?” Sky suddenly asked.

The blonde looked up. “Sure.”

“I’m taking a month off.”

“Really? That’s great Sky; you certainly deserve it. That should give you plenty of time to recuperate.” A moment’s pause. “You were arguing with Bo on the phone about it.” There was no need to make it a question.

“But I won.”

“What are your plans?”

“I’m going home to Colorado for two weeks.” Kyra nodded interestedly. “Then I thought about going to Hawaii. I know someone who will let me use their place. It’s on the ocean, on a very private stretch of beach.”

Kyra grinned. “That sounds wonderful; resting in paradise. You will take Jodi along won’t you?”

“She’ll be around.”

Kyra’s expression suddenly became gloomy. “I don’t know what worries me more,” she said, “the way Bo treats you or this outrageous stalker.” A wet hand grasped hers and squeezed comfortingly.

“Hey, I don’t want you to worry about me. I told you I’m reassessing Bo’s control. And the letters are probably from some harmless person who has nothing better to do.” Privately, Sky was certainly more concerned, but didn’t want her friend to be afraid. She had yet to release Kyra’s hand, but the backup singer was not complaining at all. “I guess you’ll take the time to visit your family.”

Kyra gave it a little thought. “Well yeah, a week or two. But…I think maybe then I’ll go on a little vacation of my own. I have no idea where,” she chuckled, “but someplace nice.”

Skylar had had an idea of her own since she had decided on going to the islands. It was a brilliant idea, and a risky idea on so many levels, but something she really wanted. “How would you like to see paradise with me?” she asked cheerfully, but warily.

Kyra was dumbstruck for a moment, her jaw dropping open and her grassy green eyes peering at Sky in comical amazement. When she found her tongue again, she asked, also in wonderment, “You would want to spend your precious time with me?”

Oh Kyra, my beautiful friend, that and so much more. A composed, but joyous smile lit up Sky’s face and her indigo eyes.“I wouldn’t want to share it with anyone else.”

Water sloshed upon the pool deck as Kyra moved closer and merged their water soaked bodies in a ferocious hug. “I would like to visit Hawaii…but even more, I would love to spend the time with you.”

To be continued…

Back to the Academy