Double Play XXXIV

By Cruise

Chapter 40

            Cass finally exhaled saying in a whisper, “why?” She looked up at Dakota feeling a wave of pain and jealousy fill her heart.  “Why do you want people to believe we are not together? Is it because you don’t want women to know you have someone? Huh?” Cass poked Dakota in the chest; her anger got the best of her.

            Dakota chuckled in disbelief.  “Of course…you have to think that is the reason, right?” She shook her head and walked inside the building.

            Cass followed her inside grabbing her by the arm and spinning her around.  “What else should I think Dakota?”

            Dakota paused and sighed.  She moved closer saying in a low voice, “That I didn’t want our relationship to become a spectacle.”

            “And how would that happen?” Cass placed her hands on her hips.

            “There are always people around me and my family who are looking for anything they can get their hands on to print in newspapers or magazines.  I’m not really sure why so many people are interested in our lives, but you read newspapers and magazines, how many times have you seen us in there because of whom we are with?” Dakota waited for her answer and lifted Cass’ chin up after she looked down.  “Plenty, right?”

            Cass nodded in agreement.

            “So, there’s your reason.”  Dakota walked away annoyed.

            Shit!’ Cass sighed sadly and turned to go after Dakota, but stopped when she had disappeared into the classroom.  Cass wiped away the moisture from her eyes, feeling bad for once again thinking the wrong thing of Dakota.  She walked over to the door and peered inside through the small window, watching as Dakota pulled out a notebook and her pen.  ‘I have got to find a way to trust her.’

            Women!’  Dakota shook her head annoyed, tossing her back pack down next to her seat.  ‘One night stands are so much easier.’

***

            Mary and Brooke walked across campus holding hands.

            “Let’s skip class.”  Mary suggested with a devilish grin.

            “I would love to, but my coach would kill me.  She has a rule that we aren’t allowed to skip class unless we are on our deathbed.”

            “I want to make love to you.”  Mary smiled, kissing Brooke on the cheek.

            “Did you not get enough this morning?” Brooke teased.

            “I never get enough of you.”  Mary winked, pulling Brooke in for a deep kiss.

            “Hmmm, well how about if I leave class early and you get all you want of me later?”

            “Well, if it’s all I can get I suppose that’s what I’ll have to do.”  Mary smiled.

            Brooke reached into her bag and handed Mary her keys.  “Wait in my room; I’ll be there before you know it.”

            “Okay, but what about Cass, is she there?”

            “No, she has classes all morning and won’t be back until mid afternoon.”

            “I’ll be in bed waiting for you.”  Mary chuckled, kissing her on the neck.

            “Just as long as you don’t get started without me.”  Brooke giggled and kissed her on the lips before entering the building.

            Mary laughed, watching Brooke walk down the hallway.  She tossed the keys up in the air and caught them with a smile as she headed for Brooke’s dorm.

***

            Cass left class early to catch Dakota and paced outside of her classroom, trying to figure out how she would apologize for earlier.  She looked up and smiled when Dakota exited the room.

            “Hey.”  Dakota said flatly as she approached, pulling her back pack over her shoulder.

            “Hey aah, can we talk?” Cass motioned towards the window that was out of the way of the students trying to pass by.  She leaned against the wall, looking up at Dakota, apologetically.  “I’m sorry for automatically thinking the worst.  I appreciate you trying to keep our relationship out of the magazines, again…I’m sorry.”

            “Why do you always think the worst when it comes to me?”

Cass looked away and sighed, then looked at Dakota.  “I guess I just don’t get why you’re with me and of course, you are well known for having a roaming eye for the ladies.”

“Wow, okay.”  Dakota scratched her chin, subconsciously trying to wipe away her irritation.  “Yeah, I’ve got that rep and we’ve discussed it before, but did it ever occur to you that I like your company, that you’re funny, interesting, and beautiful?”

Cass blushed, feeling a catch in her heart and looked down slightly embarrassed.  Looking up she smiled, “It has crossed my mind briefly.  I aah I’m just worried about a broken heart.”

“And I’m not?” Dakota stared in her eyes.

Cass was caught off guard by the comment, then inhaled and exhaled slowly.  “I never thought about that.”

“Despite my rep, I do have feelings too.”  Dakota remarked snidely and ran her hands through her hair frustrated.

Cass felt terrible, her stomach churned at the hurt she saw in Dakota’s eyes.  She grasped Dakota’s arm.  “I’m sorry.”  She moved her hand and casually looked around at her surroundings, then looked at Dakota.  “I’m so sorry. I hope you can forgive me and let me make it up to you.”

At the sight of the regret in Cass’ eyes, her frustration with the woman was quickly forgotten.  She smiled mischievously.  “It depends on what you have in mind to make it up to me.”

            Cass giggled and blushed.  “You can do whatever you want to me.”

            “Ooh, you should be very careful with what you offer.”  Dakota chuckled, smiling flirtatiously.

            “I offer all of myself to you without hesitation.”  Cass smiled, instinctively moving closer to Dakota.  She chuckled nervously as she looked all around and stepped back, feeling a jolt of electricity when her hand brushed Dakota’s.  “Well, I get out of class at one.  Where should I meet you before I offer myself to you?”  They both laughed.

            “I’ll pick you up in front of your dorm.  I have to run out to the mall before the offering takes place.  I have to meet with the owner of a sporting goods store about donating softball equipment to my foundation for the summer camps.  I hope you don’t mind tagging along?”

            “No, not a problem.  I’ll even buy you lunch.”  Cass chuckled.

            “Sweet! Alright, I’ll see you in a little while then.”  Dakota winked and walked away.

***

            “Dude, check out how slow that d-back is! You will totally blow by him.” Chris chuckled looking at the TV screen before him.

            “You know it.”  Chad laughed, slapping hands with his fellow teammate.  “Ooh, hey check this out.”  Chad hit the rewind button and then the play button.  “Check out the third one to the right.”

            The pair leaned forward for a better look.

            “She’s a honey, the blond one right?”

            “Her too, but I was talking about the brunette.  She’s got a nice upstairs to that house.”  Chad chuckled as did Chris.

            “Damn, she’s hot.”  He sat up and looked at Chad.  “Dude, we need to get a better look at those two next week at the SEC championship game.”

            “Definitely.”  Chad smiled mischievously and both looked back at the screen.

            “Hey! What are you two doing?”

            Chad and Chris jumped, turning to see their coach behind them.  Chad hit the play button as they moved to cover the screen with their bodies.

            “Just watching film coach for the game.”  Chris smiled nervously.

            “How can we help you, coach?” Chad asked, hoping to get the attention away from the TV.

            “Actually watch film of the other team instead of their cheerleaders!” He barked and exited the room.

            “Yes sir.” Chad said, nudging Chris with his elbow and both laughed when their coach was gone.  Chad looked down at his watch.  “Shit, I’m late for class!” He grabbed his back pack and headed towards the door.

Chris jumped up and followed him out.  “Oh, hey aah what are you doing tonight?” Chris asked with a sly grin following him down the hall.

“Nothing planned why?”

“Well, my girl is trying to hook her roommate up and I thought maybe you would be interested in going out with her.”

Chad stopped at the door and looked at him.  “Are you kidding me? Let me guess, she looks really good in the dark right?”

“No man she’s hot, I swear to you.  If I wasn’t totally into my girl I would hit that, guaranteed.”

“Oh, yeah you are so into your girl that you were just checking out the cheerleaders?” Chad grinned mockingly.

“It doesn’t hurt to look.”  Chris chuckled.  “Come on man.”

“I don’t know dude.”  Chad opened the door, shaking his head in disbelief.

“Listen, we’ll all go out together how about that?” Chris smiled hopeful.  “Please help me.  My girl will be upset with me if I don’t hook her friend up.”

“Alright, but you owe me.”  Chad poked him in the chest.

“You know it! Thanks man, I appreciate it.”  He chuckled, patting Chad on the arm.

Chad walked outside and slid his sunglasses over his eyes.

“We’ll meet you at Joe’s around seven okay?”

Chad looked back, “sure, see ya.”

“Awesome! You won’t regret it!” Chris excitedly said before walking back inside.

‘She better be a looker.’  Chad chuckled hurrying to class.

 

***

Dakota and Cass walked through the mall, stopping in front of the window at the pet store.

“Look! Those kittens are adorable!” Cass smiled broadly tapping on the window. “I want to hold one.”  Laughing when one of the kittens put their paw up to her finger, she pulled Dakota inside.

Dakota laughed, following her inside.

“Oh, aren’t you a sweetheart.”  Cass smiled happily, picking up a grey and black striped kitten, looking underneath it.  “Isn’t she adorable?” She showed the kitten to Dakota then held her to her chest, lightly stroking the fur on her back. 

Dakota smiled taken by the happiness in Cass’ eyes.  “Definitely.”  Dakota stroked the kitten’s head.

“I’d love to take all of these adorable little babies.”  Cass kissed the kitten on the head and reached in to hold another.  She handed one to Dakota.

“Oh, aah okay.”  Dakota was caught off guard, fumbling to gently hold the kitten.  “Well, hello there.”  She chuckled looking into the sweet face of the black kitten that meekly meowed.  “So, it seems that you love kittens.”

Cass looked at Dakota smiling.  “I love animals and one day hope to own a lot of land so I can have tons of them.  I always wanted to be a vet.”

Dakota paused surprised.  “Hmmm, really?”

“Yeah, well actually I would love to be a large animal vet.”  Cass put one of the kittens down and picked up another.

“Oh, like for horses?” Dakota stroked the fur on the kitten’s back, looking at Cass.

“Bigger.”  Cass grinned mischievously.  “I think it would be awesome to work with marine animals, like whales and dolphins.”

“That’s pretty cool.  If you like doing that, why not major in that field?”

Cass looked out of the store, seeing a man standing outside staring at her.  Her heart raced as she put the kittens back down; then looked up at Dakota.  “Well, aah I decided to go into athletic training and really liked that, so I’ve stuck with it.”

“You could always change majors.”  Dakota watched as Cass took the kitten from her and put it down.

“Nah, I’m happy with what I’m doing now.  Besides, it would take a long time to get a degree as a Marine Veterinarian.”  Cass looked outside seeing the man had moved towards the sandwich shop adjacent to them.  “Hey, what time do you have the meeting?”

Dakota looked down at her watch, then up to Cass.  “Ooh, we better get going.”

They walked towards the sports store in a hurry.

Cass casually glanced behind her, noticing they were being followed.

After entering the store, Dakota smiled when the owner approached her.  “Hello Marie.”  Dakota shook the woman’s hand.

“Hi Kody.”

“This is my teammate Cass.  This is Marie.”

“Hello, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”  Marie smiled cordially as she shook Cass’ hand.

“Same here.”  Cass smiled and released her hand, casually looking over her shoulder, relieved that the man had not entered the store.

Dakota looked at Cass strangely, and then looked at Marie.

“Well, Kody what kind of equipment do you need?”  She motioned with her hand in front of her.

“What ever you are willing to donate.”  Dakota smiled slyly as the trio walked towards the back of the store.  She glanced at Cass when her phone rang.

Cass looked at the display.  “I’m sorry, I have to answer this.”

“Okay.”  Dakota watched Cass walk outside of the store, worried by the pensive look on her face as she looked down at the display reading the text.

“Marie, you have a call on line one.”  The girl behind the desk alerted.

“Sorry Kody, I’ll only be a minute.”

“Sure, no problem.” Dakota was happy for the delay as she was worried by Cass’ demeanor.  She walked towards the middle of the store and looked out towards Cass who walked up to a young man.  ‘Who’s that?’ Dakota was startled when Marie touched her arm.

 “I’m sorry for the delay.  Let me show you our stuff.”  Marie said with a smile.

***

“Are you sure he won’t be coming around me any more?” Cass said in a low tone nervously looking around.

“I promise.  Like I told you, he is just checking up on you.”

“I hate this, you know that, right?” Cass nervously chewed her fingernail.

“You’ve told me a hundred times.  You know what’s at stake; it won’t be that much longer.” 

“Yeah, you keep promising that, but it continues to be much longer.”

“Come on; try not to worry so much.”

“That’s easy for you to say, you’re not in my shoes.” Cass said condescendingly.

“It will be over soon.  Hang in there.”  He smiled reassuringly.

Dakota walked out of the store happy that it was a short meeting, instantly feeling a wave of jealousy when she saw the man rubbing Cass’ arm.  She waved slightly when Cass looked at her, standing nervously watching as Cass walked back to her side.

“That was quick.”  Cass smiled as she approached.

“Is everything okay?” Dakota asked glancing back at the man.

Cass looked and waved with a slight smile, then turned back to Dakota nodding yes.  She exhaled, nervously.

“Should I be worried about him?” Dakota asked tentatively.

Cass smiled, moving closer to Dakota.  “No, you’re the only man I’ll ever need.”  She winked and grabbed her arm, leading her away.

Dakota smiled widely, feeling warmth throughout.  “I like that.”  She chuckled looking at Cass.  “So, who is he?”

Cass released her hold of Dakota’s arm reluctantly.  “Oh, he was a classmate of mine at Palm Beach Community College.  He’s visiting a friend who goes to school here.”

“What a coincidence that he saw you at the mall huh?”

“Yeah, small world.”  She smiled nervously.  “So, where can I buy you lunch?”

“Hmmm, how about some Italian?”

“Excellent choice.”  Cass chuckled as the pair headed to the food court.

***

Brooke sprinted across campus towards her dorm and once there she attempted to open the door to her room, but it was locked.  She pounded on the door, “Mary?” She was surprised that she didn’t open the door right away.  She knocked again and smiled when the door opened.  “What took you so long?” Brooke asked as she entered the room.

“I was in the bathroom, what took you so long to get here?” Mary smiled pulling her close.

“We had a pop quiz so I had to stay for that, sorry.”  Brooke tossed her back pack on the floor next to the bed.

“I missed you terribly.”  Mary smiled flirtatiously, leaning in and nibbling Brooke’s soft skin on her neck.

“Hmmm, I missed you too.”  She smiled and closed her eyes, seeing Michelle’s face.  She opened her eyes, pulling away.

Mary stared at her.  “Is everything okay?”

Brooke smiled nervously.  “Yeah sorry I’m just flustered from running across campus I guess.”

“Well, let me fluster you some more.”  Mary leaned in, kissing her deeply.

Brooke’s heart raced as she wrapped her arms around Mary, pulling her closer.  She closed her eyes, picturing Michelle once again…the kissed turned more passionate.

***

            “Hey bro!” Owen greeted as he walked into the kitchen.

            “Yo dude.”  Chad smiled, grabbing a soda from the refrigerator.

            “Where are you heading tonight?” Owen leaned against the counter and crossed his arms over his chest, facing his brother.

            Chad popped the top and took a drink of the beverage.  He swallowed and smiled.  “I’ve got a blind date.”

            Owen laughed.  “No way.  Are you serious?”

            “Yeah, Chris talked me into going out with his girlfriend’s roommate.”

            “Oh, man she’s probably a dog and you’ll be stuck with her all night.”  Owen laughed harder.

            “Chris assured me she was not a bow wow.  Besides, we are going to Joe’s so if she is, one drink and I’m out of there man.”  He finished off his soda.

            “Good luck with that dude, I hope she’s a looker for your sake.  So, it sounds like things are going better for you in regards to Michelle?”

            “I haven’t seen her and figure it’s time I moved on, stop pining for something that is never going to happen with her.  My mind is starting to wrap around the concept that her and I will have to be just friends.  I’m getting much cooler with that.”

            “Excellent, bro.  I’m glad to hear it.  Oh, damn I don’t want to put a damper on your evening in case you are going out with fluffy, but dad called and I told him we were planning to stay here for another year.  As you know, he was livid.”

            Chad’s posture stiffened.  “I thought I felt the world slip off its axis.”

            Owen chuckled slightly.  “He was so mad man; I thought he was going to have a stroke.”

            “And I thought he would like our plan.” Chad said sarcastically and smirked.

            “He threatened to call ESPN and let them know that we have an agent so it would screw us over for the remaining games this year.”

            “We don’t have an agent so fuck him.”

            “I thought you would say that and I told him the same thing, but he said he would have his agent say he’s representing us as well as Kody.”  Owen shook his head disappointed.

            “What do you mean about Kody? It wouldn’t matter if she were represented would it?”

“He said he would tell them the agent is working out a professional softball contract.  She’d be screwed for this season and I seriously doubt she wants to miss her senior season.”

“He’s such a prick.  Why does he always do this shit?”  Chad forcefully crushed the can in his hand. 

            “I stopped trying to figure that asshole out a long time ago.  He is so freaking low to threaten us by trying to screw over Kody.”

            “It’s no threat.  You know he will screw her over to get what he wants from us.”

            “Well, we are NFL bound dude.”  Owen patted his brother’s arm.

            “Man, I really wanted to stay here another year.”

            “Me too.  Well, let’s enjoy our last collegiate games.”

            “Definitely.  Oh, aah Kody knows nothing about his threat okay?”  Owen stared at Chad to emphasize his point.

            “You, he and I are the only one’s who know.  I can’t wait for the day that he can’t hold anything over us.”

            “That will be the day he’s pushing up daisies and he’ll probably still be able to hold something over us.”  Owen chuckled sarcastically.

“Probably.”  Chad agreed with a laugh and looked down at his watch.  “Damn, I’ve got to get going.  I’ll talk to you later.”  He patted his brother on the shoulder and walked toward the side door.

            “Yeah man, have a good evening! Oh, I’ll be at Steve’s frat house, judging a bathing suit contest if your date ends early.” Owen winked with a smirk and waved.

***

            Mary kissed Brooke once more before opening the door.

            “I’ll see you in the morning, I need to get to the library and finish my project.”  Mary smiled, rubbing Brooke’s arm.

            “Okay, I’ll see you in the cafeteria.  Good luck with the project.” Brooke smiled and waved after Mary turned back once more to look at her.

            “Thanks, see ya.” 

            Brooke watched Mary as she walked down the hall.  ‘How would she feel if she knew I was thinking of Michelle the entire time we were having sex?’ She sighed regretfully and closed the door.  She walked to the bed and flopped down.  ‘What is going on with me? Michelle crushed me, Mary is wonderful.  How can I think of Michelle?’ Brooke sat up in a hurry.  “It’s fucking karma! I should have never judged Michelle and Chad or Cass and Dakota so harshly.  I’m pretty much doing the same thing!” She ran her hands through her hair and flopped back.  ‘What in the hell am I going to do?’

***

            Michelle, Penny and Brenda walked across campus laughing heartily at a joke Penny had just told. 

            Michelle reached into her pocket and stopped.  “Shit, I forgot my wallet.”

            Penny and Brenda looked back at her.  “Don’t worry we’ve got you.  You’ll just owe us.”

            “Thanks, but I don’t have my ID.  I’ll meet you at Farah’s.”

            “Okay, but rush darling, rush!” Penny said laughing as did the other two women.

            “Yes, dear.”  Michelle jogged away.  She stopped when she saw Mary near the library, having a heated conversation with someone else.  She moved around the corner for a better look, but was unable to see who she was talking to.  ‘I wonder if she’s fighting with Brooke.  I hope so.’  Michelle shook her head in disbelief of her last thought.  ‘Well, that wasn’t nice.  Who cares, she’s no good for Brooke.’  She took a few steps backwards.  ‘I think I have gone off the deep end.  I’m having a fight with myself!’ She peered through the bushes, but still didn’t have a clear view, until the person turned and she was able to get a slight glimpse of the dark figure.  ‘Hmmm, I wonder what Mary is up to? That is very weird, but then again, I’m having an argument with myself.  Maybe I am going crazy… it’s time I spoke with a counselor.’  She shook her head and jogged away.

            After grabbing her wallet and jogging back across campus she turned the corner to 13th.  She was stopped when she ran into a muscular wall.  “Oh, sorry.”  She looked up flustered.  “Chad, aah sorry.”  She looked away nervously, trying to level off her labored breathing.

            “Hey.”  He inhaled deeply from the awkwardness.

            They stared at one another unsure of what to say or do.

            Michelle inhaled deeply and exhaled heavily.  “Chad, I am so sorry for what happened between us.”

            “So you said many times.”  Chad said softly.

            “I hate this tension between us.  I want us to be friends again.  I miss you.”  She hesitated, and then grasped his muscular hand.

            He looked down at her hand that held his, surprised that her touch didn’t give him the same reaction it did not so long ago.  “I miss you too and want us to be friends again.  You made your decision and I respect that.  I wouldn’t want you to do anything that wasn’t right for you or made you unhappy.”

            Michelle smiled, wiping the tears from her eyes.

            He smiled and pulled her in for a hug.  He chuckled when she wrapped her arms tightly around his neck.

            “You are my rock, the only person in this world that I know I can trust completely.”

            He patted her on the back, smiling.  “I feel the same way and don’t want this tension between us either.”  He broke the hug with a smile.  “So, from this point on we are best buds again…agreed?”

            Michelle smiled and laughed.  “Absolutely.  Thanks.”  She hugged him again.

            He laughed and hugged her briefly before breaking it.  “I’ve got to get running.  Can we do lunch tomorrow?”

            “Absolutely.  Where are you off to?”

            “A blind date.  Chris set it up.”

            “Ooh, be careful.  You might be set up with Fido.”  She laughed as did he.

            “Chris promised she was hot so I’ll see shortly.”

            “Where are you meeting her?”

            “At Joe’s, she’s supposed to be there with Chris and his girlfriend.”

            “Let’s go check her out in the window before you go in.”  She chuckled and waved him towards the bar.

            The pair walked a short distance and both casually peered inside the large paned window of the bar.

            “Do you see Chris?” Chad asked looking at Michelle who was inches from him.

            Michelle craned her neck, and then pointed.  “There he is.  What does his girlfriend look like?”

            “She’s a bleached blonde.” He looked in the direction she was pointing.

            “Figures.”  They looked at each other and laughed.

            “I think that’s her.  If she’s the one with the brown hair she is hot.”  He chuckled, laughing as Michelle nearly crawled on his back for a look.

            “Ooh, she is hot.”  Michelle chuckled and pulled him back when she saw the trio look towards the window.

            They laughed heartily.

            “Okay, let me look at you.”  She straightened his disheveled shirt and patted his broad shoulders.  “Go get her tiger.”

            “Thanks, see you tomorrow.”  He smiled and kissed her on the cheek.

            Michelle watched as he approached his friend and his date.  She felt a slight twinge of jealousy that quickly subsided when she saw the beaming smile on Chad’s face.  She inhaled and smiled happy for her best friend.  She walked away to join her friends.

            Chad looked back to the window, sighing as Michelle was gone. 

            “Do you want a beer Chad?” Chris asked nudging him.

            Chad looked from the window and smiled.  “Oh, yeah!”

***

            Dakota woke up with a start when she heard her phone vibrate next to her on the night stand.  She picked it up looking at the display and lifted it to her ear.  “Hello?”

            “Hey Kody.  It’s AJ.  What’s going on?”

            Dakota sat up on the edge of the bed and glanced back at Cass who lay sound asleep next to her.  “Hang on.”  She said in a whisper and stood up.  She quickly put on her boxer shorts and a t-shirt before quietly walking out of the room.  “What’s going on girl?” She asked once out in the living room.

            “I just got your message.  Where and when can I meet you?”

            Dakota looked back towards the hallway.  “How about twelve tomorrow at the Gator grille?”

            “Sounds good, I’ll be there.”

            “Okay, see ya.”

            “Bye.”  AJ’s soft voice was soon followed by a dial tone.

            Dakota clicked off the phone and walked back to her bedroom.  She walked to her side of the bed and looked down at Cass who still lay sleeping.  After undressing, she climbed in bed beside her.  She looked down at Cass who had curled up in the nook of her arm and wrapped her arm over Dakota’s body.  Dakota laid her head back exhaling heavily and closed her eyes.

To Be Continued...

 

Feed the bard at:  Cruise@clububer2000.com

URL: www.clububer2000.com

 

Back to the Academy