Safe and Sound Back Home In Greece

David E. Milligan

                                      Chapter One

                                      Going Home

Dawn hadn't quite broken, there was barely enough light to see through the cold, wet fog as Xena and Gabrielle entered the outskirts of Napoli. They both kept an eye out for anyone who might be watching for them. But there was no one up yet;  it was too easy to stay inside where it was warm and dry.

 

Despite her plan for her and Gabrielle to travel at night and to hide and rest during the day, Xena had to abandon it. The second day away from the ludus, the late autumn weather took a turn for the worst. Heavy clouds moved in, bringing with them cold and rain, often accompanied with sleet, and it was impossible to travel at night with no moon to see by. So they spent the cold nights huddled together, lying on the horse's blanket, covered with the slave tunics and the blanket their clothes and weapons had been wrapped in. They dared not make a fire, worried those searching for them would smell the smoke or see the light from the flames.

After a couple of days the cheese and dried meat ran out and even though she hated doing it, Xena used her Chakram to kill a couple of rabbits. And despite her better judgment, Xena did build a small fire, just big enough to roast the rabbits, then put it out right away. she hated being so paranoid, but She knew if soldiers found them they could probably kill some of them and escape, but after being held as a slaves, she just wanted them to get out of Italia with as little trouble as possible.

By day they rode double, both using the tunics as wraps around their shoulders, and then with the blanket around both of them. The going was slower than Xena would have liked, but at the same time, she realized that the longer it took to get to Napoli, the less likely it would be that the soldiers searching for them would still be there.

 

Xena was somewhat familiar with the city, so she knew of a stable was where she could sell the horse and saddle, and that the blacksmith kept to his own and didn't ask uncomfortable questions. Selling the horse and saddle was necessary to have the money to book passage back to Greece. But once there, they had to wait until the sun had risen enough to give enough light for the blacksmith to finally open the doors for business.

Like all horse traders, he offered them a price less than half of what the horse and saddle were worth. But eventually they came to an agreeable price – enough for both the fare and for a hot meal at a local tavern until the tide turned just before mid-day. Xena wanted to wait until the last possible moment to pay for the journey and to board the ship, just in case word they were there reached the wrong ears.

Even though they provided a bit more warmth, Xena decided it would be better if she and Gabrielle weren't seen with slave tunics, so she threw them into the smithy's fire, and cut the blanket in two to be used as shawls for the both of them.

The tavern the smithy directed them to was near the docks. Even though the weather was cold and damp, activity was high. Ships had to be loaded and ready to leave at the outgoing tide.

 The tavern was half empty except for the ship's captains, fortifying themselves with wine and ale, leaving the loading details to their first mates and crews. The wares to be traded had been agreed upon days before, but those who wanted to travel from Napoli usually waited until the day before, or the day of,  the ships leaving before booking passage. So the ships' captains were also negotiating with prospective passengers over what each thought was a fair, or unfair, rate.

After finding a table and ordering stew, Xena began looking, and listening, for just the right captain to approach. She wanted one with a Greek accent. She didn't trust Roman ship captains. She knew their loyalty was to Rome, and most likely they had been told to look out for her and Gabrielle. But a Greek ship captain and crew held no love for Italia. They were only here because the trading was profitable.

But there was just one potential problem. Xena remembered that the young Greek gladiator in the House of Cicerius told her he was there because a Roman warship had accused the Greek trading ship he and his brothers were on of piracy and they were captured and sold into slavery. It wasn't something she wanted to worry Gabrielle with, but she should have remembered that Gabrielle was very good at reading her, and she knew there was some something on Xena's mind.

"You can sit there and pretend there isn't something you're concerned about," Gabrielle told her. "But I know it's more than just looking out for soldiers or informants. So you might as well tell me."

Xena smiled at her and shook her head. "You still amaze me."

Gabrielle smiled back at her. "Yes, I know. And I also know you're not going to change the subject with your slippery tongue."

"There's only one place I'd like to put my slippery tongue; well, two places."

"My thoughts exactly. Now – what ELSE is on your mind?"

"I was thinking about a young Greek gladiator in the ludus. He said he and his brothers were on a Greek trading ship when a Roman warship stopped them, accused them of piracy, and took the ship's cargo and sold the men as slaves. I'm not so sure how safe the journey will be with Roman warships stopping Greek trading ships."

"But why? I thought there was peace between us."

"It has to be Caesar. I guess since he's not out leading an army and bringing back the spoils of war, he's using warships to plunder honest traders to fill his treasury."

"So we just take our chances?"

"Looks like we'll have to. And it looks like I've found our captain. He's back in that corner behind you."

Gabrielle turned to look where Xena had said, and her mouth fell open. "Don't tell me that's Salmoneus!"

Xena chuckled. "No, it's not him. But he could pass for his older, scruffier brother. If he had a brother. But come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard him talk about his family."

"You're right. Neither have I."

"Well, time to do some bargaining."

Xena left their table and walked over and sat down. Gabrielle turned so she could watch them, but couldn't hear what was being said. After some low, mumbling talk, the captain looked over at Gabrielle, who raised her hand in a half wave with a weak smile. She could see heads shaking, then nodding, then shaking again. Then the captain reached out and felt Xena's upper arm, and Gabrielle could tell she had tightened her muscles. The captain nodded, looked over at Gabrielle as he asked Xena something. Gabrielle gave him another half-smile and wave. He then said something else to Xena, she nodded, then they clasped forearms, and Xena got up from that table and came back to Gabrielle, who found it curious that Xena didn't give him any money.

"What was that all about?" Gabrielle asked.

"Well, we do have a way back to Greece, but there's a bit of a snag. Remember about the Roman ships stopping Greek ones? Well, it seems it is happening more and more, and Santilla, the ship's captain, has lost most of his men. They're afraid to travel on Greek ships. So, instead of us paying for passage with coin, we're joining what's left of his crew and working our way home."

"Xena, I've never worked on a sailing ship. I would have no idea what to do."

"That's what the First Mate is for. He tells the men what to do. And anything you don't know, you ask, or watch what the others are doing. It's not easy, especially for those not used to the life, but we're both strong and are used to harsh conditions. And it will only be for 20 – 25 days."

"Well, I suppose it's better than not going at all."

"Exactly! So now we go shopping."

"Shopping? For what?"

"Warmer clothes. Santilla said to use the money I was going to pay him to buy coats and leggings. The weather is getting colder, and the sea wind will make it seem even worse than it is. But we have to hurry. The tide turns just before noon, and we have to be on board."

Keeping a wary eye out, Xena and Gabrielle backtracked to the market place, now bustling since the fog had dissipated and the sun was beginning to break through the clouds. After some haggling Xena bought woolen coats and deerskin leggings for both of them. While she was making the purchases, Gabrielle was suspicious of anyone who gave them more than a cursory glance.

"Relax, will you?" Xena said. "Of course we're going to be stared at – we're beautiful women; well, one of us is, anyway."

"And I just wonder who that might be – the tall, leggy, raven-haired, blue-eyed warrior?"

"Maybe. Or maybe the one with the rare and eye-catching blond hair, mesmerizing green eyes, delicious smile, and perfect body."

After the shopping trip, Xena and Gabrielle made their way back to the wharf, and despite her previous flippant remarks, Xena was a vigilant as Gabrielle was, watching for any suspicious looks or actions.

They arrived at the dock where the Santilla's ship, the Poseidon (so named to honor the God of the Sea) was berthed, just before she was to sail. The cargo consisted of amphorae of olive oil and wine, nestled safely among bales of wool secured down in the hold. The six remaining sailors of the crew were just finishing up stowing away the food, water and wine for their consumption during the journey.

And after introductions, and brief instructions to Xena and Gabrielle about setting the one square sail, the ship eased away from the dock, along with a handful of others, and headed out from Napoli into the Tyrrhenian Sea. Then heading south, their journey would take them to the narrow strait between the mainland of Italia on the east, and the island to the west where the city of  Messina was located.

After a day or two of trading and restocking supplies in Messina, they would continue south until they reached the open waters of the Ionian Sea. They would then turn northeast until they arrived home at the port city of Prevaza.

Or that was the plan.

 

                                         To Be Continued

 

 Bard's Page

Back to the Academy