Chapter Eleven

                                      Xena and Gabrielle

The second day after the Games, Xena felt better than the previous day, and she knew each day she would improve. Her uncanny powers of self-healing was something she had always taken for granted, but now she was grateful for them. She waited until everyone had eaten and were in the arena before she left her cell. There was more food for her than she could eat, but she appreciated what was left for her. After she ate, she walked to the edge of the arena, watching as they all went through the same repetitive drills they practiced day after day.

"Maybe it's time they learned something new," she said to herself, and walked over to where Barsis and Philox were practicing - hitting each other's shield in turn with the wooden swords. First one would strike, then the other, over and over. But they both stopped as she approached.

After answering their inquiries, telling them she was better, she asked, "Mind if I show you something?"

"By all means," Barsis replied, offering his sword and shield.

"Let's continue the routine, but a bit more slowly."

Xena hit Philox's shield and he struck hers in return. This went on three times but on the fourth, when it was Xena's turn, she hit the shield high, close to the hilt of her sword so the tip of it almost hit him in the head, and he instinctively ducked away from it. Xena immediately turned to her right, then caught the side of his shield with hers and spun quickly to the left, pulling his away from  him, leaving his body exposed.

There she stopped, and said, using her sword to instruct, "You can now split open your opponent's head, chop down on the top of his shoulder next to his neck on either side, or run your sword through him from back to front."

Then handing the weapons back to Barsis, she added, "But if you try this, you must be successful on the first try. Your opponent won't fall for it a second time."

Xena then limped off the arena, having strained her wounds in the demonstration. When she got out of the sun she turned back to see all of them trying this new, unorthodox use of the shield. When she looked over to Doctore, he smiled and nodded at her. She nodded back, then went to the tub with it's cool water and got in after removing her bandages.

And seeming to appear out of thin air, the physician was standing over her, waiting. This time she didn't need his help getting out of the tub. After another examination, he decided she didn't need to wrap the wounds except at night when she slept, with a caution to keep them clean and dry.

As soon as he left, Doctore came to her and said, "I have spoken to Dominus, and even though he was in an unusual mind, he has decided you may see your friend, but only from this side of the flat bars keeping us separated from the rest of the villa."

"When!" Xena said excitedly. "Now?"

"Tomorrow morning after the others are in the arena."

"Thank you," she gushed. "You have no idea how much this means to me."

"You earned it. And if you should happen to have another trick or two to teach the others, well, I'm sure Dominus would be happy to allow more visits. So, eat and rest."

But Xena could do neither. The thought of seeing Gabrielle again caused her to not only lose her appetite, but she wasn't able to fall asleep, anticipating their meeting the next morning.

As was usual, Xena was up before anyone else, even before the house slaves. She could often hear them, in the quiet of the predawn morning -- moving around, preparing for the day. She could hear voices, faintly, but they were never loud enough; she tried but she could never tell if one of them might be Gabrielle.

This morning seemed to last too long, waiting for Doctore to rouse the men for their daily practice. And waiting for them to finish breakfast to enter the arena. And waiting for the physician to examine her healing wounds. And waiting for Doctore to take her to the locked door leading to the living quarters. And waiting for Gabrielle to come.

"You are to remain one arm's length from the bars," he instructed. "And there will be no physical contact between you two if you decide to take the risk to be nearer to her."

Xena nodded her understanding. Doctore then left her there, waiting for her soul mate to come.

 

When Gabrielle awoke, she knew it was still too early to rise for the day - everything was still quiet. But something woke her up and she slowly opened her eyes. There was some light from the few torches on the walls burning just bright enough one could find her way to the latrine area. When she turned her head, she saw dark eyes framed by dark curly hair looking at her. Gabrielle smiled.

"Good morning, Tia," she whispered. "You're up early. Is there something you need?"

Tia smiled a shy smile but said nothing. Gabrielle sat up and put her feet on the floor. Then unexpectedly, Tia crawled into her lap and laid her head against Gabrielle's breast and Gabrielle wrapped her arms around her. While she held the child, Gabrielle kept an ear out. She knew Domina would never be up this early and would never come to the slave quarters without a good reason, as when she had Marsa dragged off, but nevertheless, Gabrielle was wary.

It wasn't long before she could tell that Tia had fallen asleep, so she slowly laid back down, letting her sleep on her chest, and it wasn't long until Gabrielle fell back to sleep herself, until Antea was waking her up. She gently picked up Tia and whispered, "I'll put her back in bed."

Gabrielle nodded and watched as the two disappeared down a hallway that led to other rooms. Then she saw Phaedra had been watching.

"I thought she wanted nothing to do with me," Gabrielle said.

"She didn't know you and didn't trust you."

"Then why...?"

"She knows what you did for Marsa and she recognized that you were no danger to her. More than once she was strapped by Domina when she was younger, so now, even at her young age, she is cautious of those she doesn't know."

"It is sad she has to be raised in such a hostile place," Gabrielle said sadly. "Children should be free to run and play and laugh, not to hide in shadows in fear."

"You are right, but it is what it is. We all try to make her feel as loved as we can, and now there is another she can go to for comfort."

Phaedra turned to go but Gabrielle stopped her with another question, "Phaedra, who is Manius?"

Phaedra took a deep breath, as if it was a subject she'd rather not discuss, but said, "This villa was built by Dominus's grandfather, Batiarus. In those times it wasn't uncommon for slaves who disobeyed to be killed or dismembered. But Batiarus was not a rich man and could not afford to lose valuable property.  Below this floor is a cellar. He had cells constructed to hold those who would be punished rather than have them killed. Manius is the jailer."

"I have the impression he is not a warmhearted man."

"No, he is not. He is mean, vindictive and cruel. He once was a gladiator, but unfortunately, he was not so successful, and in one particular challenge, he lost an eye, an ear, part of one hand, and suffered serious injury to one leg, so he walks with a severe limp. But his effort was so valiant, rather than have him killed in the arena, Dominus's father gave him the option of dying on the sand or becoming the jailer. He chose life. This was twenty years ago, thereabouts."

"What will he do to Marsa and Atrius?"

"Atrius will die a lingering death. He will be given no food or water. All he will eat are what rats he can catch. The walls seep water and the only way to drink is to lick the rough stone. Eventually his tongue will be so raw he will die of thirst."

"And Marsa?"

"She will be raped and beaten repeatedly by Manius. He will feed her to keep her alive until another female is brought to him. And he will kill her."

"By the gods, what barbarians these people are. What monsters!"

"You would be well to watch your tongue...."

At that moment Phaedra was interrupted by one of the guards. Both she and Gabrielle were suddenly alarmed that he had overheard.

"You," he said, pointing to Gabrielle. "Come with me."

Gabrielle looked at Phaedra in a panic.

"You have to go," she said sadly.

Gabrielle's throat was dry and her stomach was in knots as she followed behind him, certain she was being taken before Dominus, then dragged off to Manius.  But he led her away from the living quarters and into an area she had never been - was she going straight to Manius? But instead she was taken below the balcony, to the iron strap lattice that kept the gladiators locked away from the rest of the villa.

"You are to remain one arm's length away," he told her. Then turned and left her alone.

As Gabrielle's eyes adjusted to the dim light, she was barely able to see a figure on the other side of the lattice. Then when it came closer into the light she realized it was Xena!

For the many years Gabrielle and Xena had been together, even though Gabrielle's clothing changed to suit her, Xena always wore the same breastplate and leathers. So when she saw her in the arena and at Dominus's reception, naked and covered with blood, the shock was horrific. But now, seeing her so deathly pale, so sickly looking, with dark circles under her eyes and reddish purple scars on her belly, the shock was almost as intense.

Xena was at the bars, and put one hand on them, waiting. But Gabrielle was frozen in place until Xena spoke her name. She slowly approached, but stayed the one arm's length away.

"Are you all right?" Xena finally said.

"Yes," Gabrielle replied quietly, not realizing she had answered.

"They are treating you well? You look good."

Xena reached through the iron lattice -- she needed to feel Gabrielle's cheek, caress her hair. But the action seemed to bring Gabrielle out of her lethargy, and she backed away, not letting Xena touch her.

"Xena," she said, a pleading tone in her voice, "What has happened to you? What are you doing?"

"Only what I have to."

"No!" Gabrielle said intensely. "You're better than this. I saw you in the arena, how brutal and vicious you were. That's not the Xena I know, the Xena I love. You could have defeated both of them with no weapons at all. You could have easily knocked them unconscious, not kill them in a bloody spectacle!"

"It was what was expected of me. I had no other choice."

"I don't believe that, not for a heartbeat. I know you can't have changed that much in so short a time."

"So you're telling me that you have done nothing in the time we've been here that you wouldn’t have done otherwise?"

Gabrielle didn't know how to answer.

"You have. I see it in your eyes. I know what happens to young, beautiful slave women. They are not beaten as some slaves are, but they suffer other humiliations and degradations. So don't try to tell me I'm the only one who has changed. I killed to survive. What did you do?"

Gabrielle had had enough and suddenly turned and ran back the way she and the guard had come.

And Xena, realizing the hurt she had caused, yelled out, "Gabrielle! I'm sorry! I didn't mean it! Come back!"

But Gabrielle was gone. Xena let her head fall against the iron, waiting for tears she knew would never come.

 

Continued

 Bard's Page

Back to the Academy