Chapter Thirteen

                                      Another Challenge

From her bedchamber Lucretia could hear Batiatus' screaming and ranting about something. The words were unintelligible, but as she got to him, she heard Cicerius' name several times, and associated with very unflattering adjectives.

"What is it?" she asked between curses. "What has he done that has upset you so?"

"Look at this!" he exclaimed, holding a piece of parchment out to her, then withdrawing it before she had to chance to read it.

"Just who does he think he is?" he continued. "He has made an offer he knows I will refuse! And look - he has set another contest for six days hence, as if she is already his property!"

Twice unsuccessfully Lucretia tried to take the document from him, then on the third try she was able to get it from his hand without tearing it. But as she tried to read it, he continued to rant and rail about the unfairness of it, making it hard for her to concentrate. But she finally got the gist of it.

"So it seems that he has procured a challenger for Xena, and has offered his arena for the contest. I see nothing to be upset about."

Batiatus grabbed the page from her and pointed at the bottom of it. "Here! Look! Do you see what he has so 'generously' offered?" he exclaimed, with "generously" said in a very sarcastic voice.

"I didn't get that far...." she started to say but was interrupted.

"He says the mere sum of sixty five percent of any of my winnings from wagering is all he will take for the privilege of showcasing her in his arena. SIXTY FIVE PERCENT! He must think me a fool! Sixty five percent indeed! Fifteen percent would be more than adequate."

"How is it that he already has a challenger for her? Did you tell him the physician has declared her fit to reenter the arena in combat?"

"No, I did not! And that is a mystery I have yet to resolve, unless...."

"Unless?"

"Unless," and now Batiatus' voice took on an ominous tone. "unless, there is a spy in my household who has sent word to him."

"A spy? Here? How is that possible? Who would violate the sanctity of our home?"

"My thoughts exactly. Oh, that Cicerius is a devious one. I should have known it when he offered to buy her when she was still so badly wounded. He is one not to be trusted. I know that now!"

"But the spy? How will you uncover his identity?"

"A confounding question, for sure. But I will ferret out the conspirator, make no mistake about that. We only have to determine who has had access to our house and was able to gather the information Cicerius required, and then was able to escape undetected."

"It could be anyone - the millers who deliver the flour, or the gardeners who bring our fruits and vegetables, or the hunters with fresh game, or the farmers with freshly slaughtered goats and swine and cattle, or those whose vineyards and orchards provide grapes for wine and bring freshly pressed olive oil."

"I realize all that! So there has to be two of them, one from the outside and one within these walls - a slave or a guard."

Lucretia was silent for a moment, then said, "There is a stranger in the hall near the front entrance. He is Cicerius' messenger?"

"He is."

"I would imagine he is awaiting your reply. What will you say?"

"That I have no choice but accept his offer!" Batiatus spat out. "What else can I do?"

"Well, if you think you cannot negotiate to a more equitable arrangement, why not request he pay an additional thousand gold coins for Xena, if he truly desires her?"

"Yes, you are right, again. I will agree to his highway robbery if he will pay five thousand Aureus for her."

"So you have made the decision to sell her, then?"

"What other option is there? But we will have an out, I shall require that he pay the amount whether she is successful, or dies at the hands of his champion. THAT is my offer to him!"

"I shall send for the scribe right away."

 

"So, I see Cicerius has sent his reply," Lucretia said. "And in only two days. So was your compromise acceptable to him?"

"Yes, he agreed, with the usual protest of getting the lesser benefit of the arrangement. But now we must make haste. It will take two days to prepare and another day for us to make the journey. Even leaving at dawn it will be well after dark when we arrive. But that will give us and the gladiators a day to rest."

"How many fighters does he expect you to bring, other than Xena? As I recall, he brought six here."

"Only four. He says the days grow short, but I think it is but an excuse. I suspect his second tier gladiators aren't up to the quality of mine and doesn't wish to have them humiliated." Batiatus was suddenly buoyed by the thought of all of his challengers defeating all of Cicerius' in one afternoon.

"And of the slaves - any particular ones in mind to accompany us?"

Batiatus looked at his wife with suspicion. "Why would you ask me such a thing? This has always been in your domain."

"I was just curious as to your thoughts about Gabrielle. Would she be an inspiration or a hindrance to Xena's performance?"

"She was with us on the balcony when Xena defeated the two, and I know they made eye  contact, so I would say she will be an asset. Bring her. In fact, allow them to travel together, with the implication that if Xena is triumphant, they may spend a night together. Nothing like a little incentive to sweeten the pot."

 

The next two days were a flurry of activity, both in the house and in the arena. Batiatus' and Lucretia's finest clothes had to be laundered, as well as the guards' uniforms and the slaves' tunics. The guards selected to go polished their helmets, armor, spears and swords to a bright silver sheen. The horses had to be washed and their manes and tails braided. The saddles had to be perfect. The carriage for Batiatus and Lucretia was painted and all of the wheels were replaced.

There were to be ten slaves traveling with them, five men and five women. Lucretia already had chosen the men she preferred, but was more selective about the women. Gabrielle, of course was going, but the other four was a matter of who would be the best when it came to serving them and meeting their needs without prompting. And which woman, or women, Batiatus would want sexually. He mostly preferred the younger ones, but sometimes he seemed to favor those with more experience. Eventually, the choices were made.

Then there was the matter of the gifts to present to Cicerius and his wife Selena. Nothing too extravagant that shouted garish pretentiousness. Yet nothing too inexpensive and tasteless. Again, this was left to Lucretia's discretion.

In the arena, all of the gladiators were at the top of their game while practicing, each hoping to be chosen as Doctore watched them, since the final selection was left up to him. Even Xena went over her introductory routine with the twin swords.  At the end of the first day, Doctore made his decision. Barsis and Philox were selected, to no one's surprise. The other two were Manix and Hector, both Greek soldiers captured in some nameless battle a half dozen years before. And Doctore was included as well.

Finally, everything was ready. One cart was packed with food, wine and clothing. Another with hay and water for the horses. A third and a fourth were with bars and manacles for the slaves and gladiators. All that was left was to arise at dawn, eat a quick breakfast, and then to leave.

Despite the well intentioned plans for the early rising and preparations to leave, things were a bit chaotic. But just as they were about to depart, Lucretia sent a guard back into the house to fetch Gabrielle, who had not been told she was to go with them. She was even more surprised when the guard took her to the rear of the cart with the gladiators instead of the house slaves, unlocked the door and all but threw her inside.

The four gladiators were pleasantly surprised at the beautiful blonde they thought was a reward for being chosen. But when Xena and Gabrielle threw their arms around each other and held on to each other, they knew she was only for Xena.

Xena's hands, as the others', were manacled, but she put her arms over Gabrielle, who held Xena around the waist. There were no words. They only needed to feel each other's nearness, and warmth, and heartbeat, and to smell the scent of the other.

"Jasmine?" Xena finally asked.

Gabrielle smiled. "It was Domina's idea, she is fond of the smell."

Suddenly there was a clanging against the iron bars; it was Batiatus.

"Dominus, words of thanks seem inadequate," Xena said.

"You can show your thanks in the arena. I have heard your next opponent has killed a dozen or more. I expect to win large amounts of gold coin on the outcome. Do not disappoint me."

"You can rest assured, your wagers are safe."

Batiatus nodded, then climbed into the carriage with Lucretia for the journey.

"Xena," Gabrielle said in a worried voice, "I think they are trying to kill you."

"What are you taking about? I'm Dominus's gold mine."

"Don't you see? Every time you win, they will try to find someone who is bigger, stronger, faster, and more bloodthirsty. Eventually they will find someone who can, and will, kill you."

Xena caressed Gabrielle's hair lovingly, then said, "You were right when you said I could have defeated those two gladiators weaponless, but what do you suppose would have happened if I had shown them how easily I could put them down, and they realized how truly dangerous I can be? Would either of our lives be worth anything? I can protect myself, but not you, not while we are separated. I have to let them think I have skills to win, not to totally overwhelm and defeat any opponent."

Gabrielle laid her head against Xena's chest, knowing she was right, but still unable to stop worrying. Nothing else was said until the caravan stopped for the mid-day meal. Both had things they wanted to talk about, but didn't want to spoil their time together with uncomfortable and distressing topics.

As they finished the sparse meal, another troubling thought came to Gabrielle. "Xena, when this is over, will you be returning with us, or...?"

 

"I don't know. If I am being sold today, I guarantee you I will come after you in five days or less. Nothing will keep us apart."

And wanting to believe her, Gabrielle again found her way inside Xena's arms to be comforted for the remainder of the trip.

 

Continued

 Bard's Page

Back to the Academy