Chapter Seventeen

                                                                  Back to the House of Batiatus

The morning was cold and the hay for the horses was taken from that cart and divided and put into the ones with gladiators and house slaves so they could huddle down within the hay for some measure of warmth, and to sleep until the sun rose to warm the day.

All but Xena. She was last in the cart and sat with her back against the cage door, oblivious to the chill of the air. Over and over she thought of different scenarios of why she was returning to the ludus of Batiatus. But the only thing she could think of that was even remotely possible was that an Oracle had foreseen her escape and had gotten word to Cicerius. Perhaps that was why there were some of his guards riding along with them. (Of course, Dominus did win a lot of money.) But if they knew she planned to escape, and now realized how dangerous she could be, then why was she wearing only the wrist manacles as the others were? Wouldn't there be shackles around her ankles as well? And chains around her waist and neck, and all locked together? Or wouldn't she have been thrown into a prison cell, or into a dungeon?

When she saw Doctore had awakened she asked him.

"I am as surprised as you. I heard nothing of this. When Gabrielle was allowed to spend the day and two nights with you I took it to mean it was Dominus' reward for your victory, and when we left, you would remain in the House of Cicerius." He shrugged his shoulders. "I have no explanation."

Like Xena, Gabrielle could not sleep. She was waiting for someone to wake up. Someone had to have heard something. Dominus and Domina talked of everything in front of them. Somebody knew something. But even as the sun rose higher in the sky, she knew it would still be a while before anyone would be ready to talk to her – she could hear muted gasps and pants and moans, and the cart rocked from more than the ruts in the road.

As Batiatus and Lucretia settled down in their carriage for the trip back to Capua, she could tell he was still not happy returning with Xena, but she remained silent. But when the quiet became too awkward, Batiatus said, "So you and Serena have become close?"

"Yes, somewhat. She is pleasant enough to spend time with."

"And what of Otho's wife?"

"She is but a child, barely out of her teens. I suspect she is more of a sex toy for him than a real wife. But she does know gossip. You should hear of the intrigue that surrounds the Senators and their wives and concubines."

When he didn't answer, Lucretia pulled her woolen and linen blanket up to her chin and snuggled into the pillows at her back, deciding to catch up on her sleep. But just as she was almost asleep, Batiatus said, "It was brought to my attention that you ordered one of the guards to take Gabrielle to Xena, and that they spent two nights together."

"Yes."

"And there was a reason you opted to take it upon yourself to make such a decision."

"I thought that was what you had in mind – they would be together during the journey to Cicerius' and if she was the victor, her reward was to have Gabrielle with her."

"I said nothing of the sort. I only intended for the second to be an incentive for Xena to win."

"But you have provided whores for the gladiators when they were victorious. I see no difference...."

"Why must you interject yourself into things that don't involve you? You are to tend to the house and all things pertaining to that. The gladiators and their welfare are my concern. And why is it that you suddenly seem so interested in Xena's freedom?"

"Excuse me for trying to find some way to ease my husband's thoughts. I should be damned for worrying about his well-being." With that, Lucretia pulled the blanket up again and turned away from him.

Batiatus made a disgusted noise, then shouted to the driver, "You there! I have no desire to be riding in this carriage after dark. Pick up the pace unless you wish to feel the lash when we arrive."

 

By mid-day, when they stopped to eat, it was warm enough that the slaves and gladiators were ordered  that both carts were to be emptied and the hay returned to the cart for the horses. On one trip Xena and Gabrielle managed to walk beside each other.

"Does you your trainer know why you are coming back with us?" Gabrielle  asked.

"He says no."

"Do you believe him?"

"Despite his loyalty to Dominus, I do believe him. He would have no reason to lie. What about the house slaves – surely one of them heard something."

"That's what I thought, but all morning long they all have stayed under the hay, 'getting acquainted,' or 'reacquainted,' if you know what I mean."

Xena nodded.

"But now that they are no longer hidden, I should be able to find out something. If I do, I'll try to find a way to let you know."

After everyone was loaded back into the carts, Gabrielle sat next to Sateria and said without preamble, "I know you know why Xena is coming back with us."

"Why would think that?"

"Because, as Phaedra has often reminded me, Dominus and Domina talk in front of us as if we are invisible. So I know you must have heard something. Please, I have to know. Xena wants to know."

"I wasn't in the room when Cicerius and the other man came to see Dominus. I'm not sure of his name – Oros, or Osiris, maybe? I was in the bed chamber changing the sheets where Dominus had vomited during the night. He came in very drunk. But Domina was standing near the door, listening, so I stayed by the bed. But I did hear someone say that it wasn't Cicerius who was buying Xena, but Oros, Otos, whoever. He said he knew who she was, and something about Caesar taking her from him. Then Dominus got loud, and soon after that they left and Domina went out to talk to Dominus. And that's all I know."

"Okay. That explains a lot. Thank you."

"Now," Gabrielle thought to herself, "I just need some way to let Xena know.  I wonder what will happen to her, to both of us, now?"

 

Despite his threat, it was after dark when they arrived at the ludus, but Batiatus was tired from the journey and was just glad to be back.

"What of the men Cicerius sent with us? Shall I have them quartered with our guards?" Lucretia asked as the slaves were unpacking their clothes under her watchful eye.

"No. Give them food and drink the send them on their way."

"Batiatus, you want them to have to ride all night, or to have to camp out? Surely you can't be that angry with him."

"I don't understand this compassion you seem to have suddenly developed for those you used to have contempt for. Are you ill?"

"No, of course not. But you may yet have need for Cicerius' support. Do you really wish to antagonize him?"

"Very well, have them billeted in the stables."

"The stables? Really?"

"Wherever! You see to them if you are so concerned!"

"I shall. And you can again count the gold coins you have won," Lucretia replied sarcastically, and left to inform the Captain of the Guards to find room for them in the guards' barracks."

 

"Phaedra, I need to talk to Xena. Do you know of any way I can get to see her?"

"I suppose there is a way, several ways, but you may not like what you have to do."

"Like what?"

"Favor for favor. If you expect one of the guards to risk taking you to see her without Dominus's permission, he will expect you to – service him, maybe more than once."

"But won't he get into as much trouble as I would if we were found out?"

"You are a slave. You seem to forget that. He may be punished, a slap on the wrist, but you will be flogged, at the very least."

"There is no other way?"

"I suppose you could ask Dominus, but if you find him in a bad mood, you could still be lashed."

"What about Domina? She seems to have mellowed some."

"Don't let her deceptive demeanor fool you. She is still a harsh..." At this point Phaedra lowered her voice to a whisper. "...and cruel, malevolent bitch who loves nothing better than to punish us for any alleged disrespect or disobedience."

Gabrielle took a deep, frustrated breath. "Maybe I can think of something."

 

When Lucretia got up the next morning, close to midday, Batiatus was in the banquet room, half-eaten food covering his end of the table, and he was in a very good mood, for a change.

"And what has lightened your day?" she asked. "A decision about Xena's fate?"

"Oh, yes," he replied, smiling. "Now that my head has cleared of Otho's ignorant rantings about Caesar, and now that your fables about Xena and her war god are in perspective. Yes, I have made my decision."

"And that would be?"

"Tomorrow at dawn I will send two riders on our fastest horses to take a message to Caesar telling him we have Xena and he can either come to get her, or I will personally bring her to him."

"Are you sure that is best? Gossip has it that many are unhappy with...." Lucretia started to say, but was cut off in mid-sentence.

"No, we will speak no more about freeing her! But I can tell you that Otho is a fool if he thinks anyone in the Senate, or if any of the generals, can stand against Caesar. And when we deliver Xena to him, his reward will strengthen our status in the eyes of those who have snubbed us, and will make them jealous and envious. And those who have looked down on us will be put in their places."

Knowing further argument was futile, Lucretia left the room. She realized she now had her own plans to arrange.

 

Continued

 Bard's Page

Back to the Academy