Chapter Six

                               Amazonia, the Amazon Warrior

After Doctore left, Xena closed her eyes, bent her knees so she could submerge the rest of her until her head was resting on the bottom of the tub. She then began a slow count, enjoying the quiet, cool calmness of the water, savoring every moment. When she reached fifty, she sat back up reached outside to the floor to get one of the rags she had been wearing to scrub the sweat and dirt from her body. It was then that she saw Doctore standing there holding clean linen. He placed it on the edge of the tub and said, "There is food in the dining area," and again walked away.

Xena leaned forward to pick up the two strips of fabric. They were exactly like the ones she had been wearing except there were no tears and no fraying; they were almost new. After giving herself a good scrubbing, she got out of the tub and wrapped her breasts and loins with the clean linen without drying herself and walked into the dining area. On a table were a bunch of large, purple grapes, a wooden bowl of goat cream to dip them in, a melon that had been quartered long ways, and a large wooden goblet of water.

"So this is how the winners are treated," she said to herself. "Maybe this won't be so bad."

With her unusual sense of smell, she detected that the cream didn't smell like it should. She stirred it with one finger and it was thicker than it should have been, and tasting it she could tell it was on the verge of souring, but was still palatable. Next she popped a grape into her mouth, and it, too, was past ripe.

"Probably rescued from the slaves with purple feet who mash the over-ripe grapes into the first stages of wine," she mused to no one. But she still ate them with relish – it had been too long since she'd had fruit of any kind.

She then drank the cream down, savoring its richness, and used her finger to scrape out the rest. Next she turned to the melon, which was also past its prime and on its way to natural fermentation,  but she ate it anyway, down past the rind, and said to the room, "I wonder why they never make melon wine? Hmm, maybe they do."

She then followed it all with the water.

"Maybe," she said again patting her full belly with the fingers of both hands, "Maybe it won't be so bad after all."

She wasn't particularly worried about Gabrielle. She knew Gabrielle could take care of herself. And if there had been any problems she, Xena, would have been tied to the post in the middle of the arena and whipped. Or so Dominus swore.

After throwing the remains of her meal into the garbage pit she walked to the doorway leading out to the arena. And as she watched the training she noticed that there was more intensity among the men. Maybe it was because a woman had been chosen so quickly to participate in combat and they were embarrassed she was so much better. Or maybe she had inspired them. Xena couldn’t decide which it was. But she knew one day some of them would either be dead, wounded and no longer useful, or would go on to be heroes of the arena.

The sun began to set and training for the day was over and she stepped aside to let them enter. One had pulled a muscle in his back and was half carried to the bath she had used. After he was in it, hot water was added to help assuage the injury. And again Doctore seemed to appear from nowhere.

"Tomorrow you will begin training for the games."

"I thought I was."

"No, you were only training for the opportunity to do so. You seemed somewhat uncomfortable with the shield at first."

"Well, I've never used one; never had to. But I can see how it can be useful."

"Have you ever fought using two swords together?"

"Once or twice, took some getting used to. Why?"

"Dominus thinks combat with a pair of them will give more impact and drama than with sword and shield."

"Can I use my own sword - the one I had when I was captured? I'm used to it."

"No. The ones you will use will be identical. It makes for a more balanced look."

Xena shrugged her shoulders, it was worth a shot. And she knew there was no way they would ever let her use her Chakram.

"Also, Dominus has decided that your name will be changed. He recognizes it is too well-known in Rome and wishes to delay Caesar's discovery that you are here for as long as possible."

"And just who will I be?"

"Amazonia, the Amazon Warrior. You will let your hair fly free and wildly to add to the effect. And we will paint your face and body. And you will be naked."

Xena chuckled at the thought.

"Something amuses you?"

"No, well yeah. I've had dealings with the Amazons, and none of them are anything like you describe."

"But no one here will know, nor will they care. Now, follow me."

Doctore led Xena to one of the small cells just off from the main barracks room.

"This is where you will sleep from now on. A privilege reserved for those who have seen, or will see, combat in the arena."

The small room barely had room for the bed with a straw-filled mattress, but at least she was away from the others and had some privacy. When Doctore left, Xena lay down on the bed. It wasn't bad -- softer than the hard ground she was used to sleeping on, and there didn't seem to be any fleas or lice that she could see.

 Xena lay there listening to the men as their day was winding down – talking about the day's practice; who else might be chosen for the upcoming competition, and why or why not; the sounds of eating; noises from the latrine. She had almost dozed off when she was suddenly aware of someone in her cell, looking down on her. When she opened her eyes she saw Barsis standing over her. He was naked and was sporting half an erection.

Ignoring it, she said, "Something on your mind?" She didn't bother to sit up or stand.

He grinned down at her, thinking her remaining prone was an invitation. "Just thought that now we've got some privacy...." He didn't finish the sentence, expecting Xena to accept his unspoken yet obvious suggestion.

"Yep, plenty of privacy," she replied. "Enough that when I smash your face into the wall, no one will ever see it. And if you don't get your disgusting self out of here, that's exactly what will happen, in less than a 10-count. One...two...three...."

Knowing better than to press it, Barsis turned and went out. Just as he was outside her cell, Xena added, "If I want you in here, you'll know it."

Xena closed her eyes again, and semi-dozed, waiting for everyone to fall asleep. It was her favorite time of night – the time she would quietly go back into the arena, walk to the edge of the cliff and look out into the darkness, and think of Gabrielle. After the games, she decided, after her decisive win, she would ask Doctore if there could be some way she could see her and talk to her.

At dawn the next morning she already sitting at a table, waiting for Doctore to chastise the others for sleeping so late. And just as soon as breakfast was over and he had assigned the men to their partners for the day, he turned to Xena.

"Today you will begin training with the two swords. You must know as much about wielding them as you do breathing. Every step you take with them, every strike, every parry, every moment you hold them should be as if you were born with them in your hands. Your movements should be like a dance – a decisive, fatal dance."

Without a word, Xena took the two identical wooden swords, similar to all the others but longer by half again, and they were weighted at the hilt with flat stones held by rawhide cord. She entered the arena and slowly began moving them in circles, crisscrossing them in front of her, slowly at first until she was familiar with their weight and balance. And as her speed with the swords increased, she began to turn in circles, adding small hops and skips in time with them. She ducked down, then went to one knee, twirling them over her head in twin figure-eight patterns. It wasn't long before everyone stopped to listen to the singing of the swords, and to watch her, amazed and marveling at her skill, dexterity and balance.

If she had been paying any attention, she would have seen a small, rare smile cross the face of Doctore. He knew that whatever success she brought to the arena, he would be praised and rewarded for training her.

Continued

 Bard's Page

Back to the Academy