RAOB 2023 Winter Solstice Story

 

The Inn

by

D. J. Belt

 

Copyright, etc.: Xena: Warrior Princess fan fiction. No graphic sex, some head-busting and mayhem, and much warm sentiment. (Hey, it’s that time of year!)

Comments: I’m hiding out at dbelt@mindspring.com. Feel free to write!

Synopsis: With the winter solstice near, Xena and Gabrielle seek shelter at an inn, do a good turn, and are rewarded with a gift of priceless value.

 

                                                               **********

 

“Gabrielle, what’s up?”

The question was spoken in that voice, the one Xena always used when she didn’t want to play games. The question, voiced after some considerable silence, brought Gabrielle out of her thoughts. She looked up, blinked in surprise, and said, “Huh?”

“Spill it.”

That brought out a sigh. “Okay,” Gabrielle said. She chewed on the best way to deliver the news, then blurted out, “I miss my sister.”

“Do you want to go and visit her?”

“Well, yeah. I mean, I always do. But it’s a long way from here.” As she spoke, she cast a hopeful glance out of the corner of her eye toward her companion.

“It means a hard trip, this time of the year,” Xena said.

“Can we go by sea? That’s quicker.”

“The north Aegean is given to storms in the winter. We won’t find a ship that will set to sea until springtime.” Xena pulled her cloak more tightly about her as she cast a glance behind them. “Are you doing okay, Argo?” Her horse, following behind her, grumbled softly in response. That got a snicker out of Xena. “What, you don’t want to go to Potidaea?”

Gabrielle looked back at the horse. “Of course, you want to go, don’t you, girl?” she asked. In reply, the horse nickered softly, then emitted a sound much like a bedsheet slowly being ripped in half. Xena roared in laughter, but Gabrielle rolled her eyes and waved a hand in the air theatrically. “Nice. By all the gods, I get no respect around here. None.” She pointed at the horse. “I have never done that in front of you.”

Xena coughed into her fist. “Bull hockey,” she muttered.

“Okay, maybe once or twice. But still…”

Xena stopped in the middle of the road and faced Gabrielle. “This isn’t about your sister, is it?” It was more of an observation than a question.

Gabrielle shrugged, then huffed and tapped her staff on the road. “Darn it, Xena. You always do that. You always seem to know what’s bugging me before I do.”

“I have many skills. Now, what’s up?”

The words poured out in a flood. “I’m so tired of this. I’m cold and my feet hurt. And I’m hungry. Really hungry. And I miss my sister. And…” Gabrielle clapped a hand over her eyes and tried to stem an outburst of emotion but failed miserably. She sputtered, then allowed a few sobs to escape before she regained control. As she wiped her eyes, she said, “And I’m being childish, aren’t I?”

“Nope.” Xena hugged her against her side and wrapped her cloak around them both. “You’ve just had your limit. I’ve been setting a hard pace on this trip. You’re exhausted.”

“And you’re warm.” She sniffed, then said, “And you could use a bath, love. You stink.”

Xena snickered at that comment. “I’m sure I do,” she said, as she motioned to Argo. “Get on and ride a while. We’ll stop up ahead.” As Gabrielle stuck her foot into a stirrup, the horse cast a surly glance at her. “Oh, quit grumping,” Xena said to Argo. “She doesn’t weigh much.” The horse responded with a loud exhalation of air and the clomp of a hoof on the dirt road.

“I’m ready,” Gabrielle said.

Xena looked up and saw her companion seated on the saddle. She’d even managed to pull a blanket loose from the pack and wrap it about herself. Resourceful, as always, she thought. Without a further word, she gave a tug to Argo’s reins, and the horse dutifully fell in behind her as she resumed her steady pace down the road and into the setting sun.

 

                                                              **********

 

The inn’s fireplace exuded warmth, and the hot meal was a weary traveler’s delight. The innkeeper’s wife checked on the two strangers by the hearth from time to time and brought them warm, mulled wine. She noted that they didn’t speak too much, but when they did, it was in hushed, companionable tones. They both had the air of mercenary soldiers about them. The dark-haired one wore leather-based armor in the tradition of the Macedonians she’d seen. The smaller, blonde woman, she couldn’t quite pigeonhole, although she suspected that, from her manner and clothing, she might hail from some northern Amazon tribe. An odd couple, to be sure, the innkeeper’s wife decided. Tonight, though, they seemed possessed of a bone-deep weariness. They’d rented a room in the inn, just a single bed, and stabled their lone horse in the stables next door, so they must have some money. She decided to be bold with them; that they were females, and not the typical male soldiers-of-fortune who wandered in from time to time, gave her courage. She approached them, refilled their cups with warm wine, and made conversation.

“You look as if you’ve traveled far,” she noted. “You’ll get a good rest here. And my boy is starting a fire in the fireplace in your room.”

“Thanks,” the dark-haired woman said. “That’s thoughtful.”

“You’re soldiers, just off a campaign?”

Xena nodded. “Something of the sort.”

“Hm. Well, I’m Thalia. My husband and I own this inn. If you need anything…”

“Thanks. I’m Xena, and this is Gabrielle.”

“You sound Macedonian.”

Xena cracked a grin. “Guilty as charged. Amphipolis.” She gestured toward Gabrielle. “Potidaea.”

“You must be in a hurry to get where you’re going.”

Xena shrugged. “Actually, we’re, ah—between jobs right now.”

“In other words, homeless,” Gabrielle added. It was the first time she’d spoken, and Thalia was surprised by the smooth, pleasant voice that she possessed.

“In that case, if you wish to stay a day or two and rest, we’ll make you a good deal on the room and meals. I’m sure that we can even throw a hot bath into the deal.”

Gabrielle perked up. “Oh, that sounds glorious. Let’s do it, Xena.”

Xena noted Gabrielle’s reaction, then glanced up at Thalia. “It’s a deal. Thanks.”

“Of course.” Thalia hesitated for a second, then asked, “May I speak with you in confidence for a moment?”

Xena nodded and motioned toward a stool. Gabrielle’s eyebrow was raised in a sign of curious interest. Thalia seated herself, rested the wine pitcher on the table, and spoke in a hushed voice. “From time to time, we have, ah—undesirable elements that come around. Lately, they’ve been, well…”

“Even more undesirable?” Xena asked. Thalia nodded. “And you’d like us to hang out for a few days, in case they return?”

“You’re very quick,” Thalia said. “My husband is brave and has seen war, but he is only one person and no longer young. I fear for him, if he faces them alone.”

“Them? How many are there?” Gabrielle asked.

“Five or six. They’re ruffians.” Thalia quickly added, “We can perhaps pay you something. I mean, we don’t have a lot, though.” She glanced down at her hands, as if ashamed to speak the next words. “They robbed our cash box, when last they were here.”

Xena glanced at Gabrielle. “What do you think of this?”

Gabrielle met her gaze. “It sounds like somebody needs a good ass-kicking.”

“My thoughts exactly.” Xena looked at Thalia. “You’ve got an army, such as it is.”

Thalia rose excitedly and grasped the wine jug. “Oh, thank you. I’ll tell my husband.” She turned to go, then paused and looked back. “He’ll be so grateful.” With that, she headed for the kitchen.

Gabrielle studied the fire in the hearth for a moment, then said, “Well, I wanted to get off the road, didn’t I?”

“Yeah. Be careful what you ask for. The gods have a sense of humor.”

Gabrielle turned toward Xena. “How can we take money from them, Xena? They have children, they’ve been robbed, and the solstice celebrations are coming up.”

“Heads up,” Xena muttered, as she noticed, from the corner of her eye, a couple approaching their table.

A male voice addressed them. “I’m Dion.” He gestured toward his wife, standing next to him. “Thalia told me of your kind offer.”

“You sound like you could use help. We’ll do what we can.”

“I’m grateful.” He hesitated, then said, “You’re Xena, from Amphipolis?” At Xena’s nod, he added, “The former warlord?”

“That was a long time ago.”

“I saw you during the Amphipolis siege.” He shrugged. “I was a mere lad, but old enough to be under arms.”

“Is that where you acquired your limp?” Xena asked.

“Yes. You’ve got good eyes.”

“I’m afraid we can’t pay you much,” Thalia said, “but perhaps we can come to some terms.”

Xena leaned forward. “Money doesn’t mean much anymore,” she said. “But you, Dion, being an old soldier, will understand what things another soldier treasures more than riches.”

He smiled. “I believe I do. You’ll find them here.”

“What’s that?” Thalia asked Dion.

“A hot meal. A warm fireplace. A soft, clean bed. A night’s rest. A cup of warm wine. A kind word. A soldier’s desires are basic.”

Xena smiled at that. “Throw in a hot bath, and we’re under your command, Dion.”

“Done.” Dion turned to Thalia. “Ask our daughter to heat the bath.”

 

                                                         **********

 

Gabrielle opened one eye. Yes, it was morning. Yes, it was a glorious sleep. Something was missing, though. She gradually willed herself out of her half-slumber, sat up in bed, and looked around. After a moment, she realized that it was Xena that was missing. As if on cue, the door opened, and Xena stepped inside.

“It’s getting chilly outside,” Xena said, as she blew into her cupped hands to warm them. “You can tell that the winter solstice is about here.” She dropped her cloak onto the bed. “Downstairs, Thalia is decorating the inn.”

“Oh, neat!” Gabrielle said. “I loved to do that as a kid.”

“Go down and help.”

“I’m going down to eat. Have you?”

“Not yet,” Xena said. “I just checked on Argo. You know, food and water.”

“And company,” Gabrielle said, as she rose and gathered up her clothing. “I swear, you spoil that horse like most people spoil their household dogs.” She shoved one leg into her thick leggings as she balanced on the other foot. “Don’t blame me if Argo starts barking and wanting to be walked.” She noted Xena’s expression. “What’s that look for?” she asked.

“You must have slept well last night,” Xena observed. “You’ve just awakened, and already you’re chattering up a storm before breakfast. Usually, you’re a zombie.”

Gabrielle thought about that as she continued dressing. After a moment, she nodded her agreement. “You’re right. You nailed me again.”

“Yup,” Xena said. “You’re my sidekick. I get to do that from time to time.”

“Oh, yuk yuk! And I wasn’t talking about that.”

“I was,” Xena said.

“Very funny. Hey, wait up, Xena. I’m almost dressed.”

“Make haste, Gab. And bring your staff in case the bad guys show up.” With that, Xena left the room.

Gabrielle pulled her thick winter tunic over her head, then ran her brush through her hair a few times. “If they interrupt my breakfast, they’ll really piss me off,” she muttered, as she grabbed her staff and headed for the door.

 

                                                            **********

 

Gabrielle carried two wooden bowls and cups into the inn’s kitchen, the remnants of breakfast. As she handed them to Thalia, she said, “The winter solstice decorations are lovely.”

“Thanks. It’s keeping the children busy, and that’s the main thing. Where’s Xena?”

“Out back,” Gabrielle said. “She’ll be back in a minute.”

As the words left her mouth, Thalia’s son, an energetic ten-year-old, ran into the kitchen. “Riders are coming,” he said.

Thalia froze. “Is it—them?” she asked.

“Yes, I think so,” the boy said.

“Get your father,” Thalia instructed.

Gabrielle left the kitchen and found her staff. She took a stance several paces inside the inn’s door, leaned on her staff, and waited. A few moments later, Dion entered the room, adjusting the strap of his sword’s scabbard across his body. He took a position near Gabrielle. She glanced over at him and said, “I’ll need a little room for this staff.”

He nodded and moved away. “I’ve never seen a staff used before.”

“It’s an Amazon thing,” Gabrielle said.

“Then it must work.”

Their conversation fell silent when the hooves of several horses sounded outside the door. Gabrielle listened intently and could hear male voices and an occasional laugh. The voices grew more distinct, then the door opened. As it swung aside, a roughly-dressed man stepped inside, looked around, and fixed his gaze on Dion. “We’re back,” he said.

“You’re not welcome here,” Dion said, in a commanding voice. “Leave.”

“Not on your life,” the man said. “We’re hungry and cold, and we’re camping out for a while.” He glanced around the inn. “Nice decorations.” He looked behind him. “Hey, fellas. Looks like the winter solstice is just around the corner.”

“Leave,” Gabrielle said.

The man blinked in surprise, studied Gabrielle for a moment, then roared in laughter. “What in Tartarus is this?” he asked. “An Amazon, in these parts? She looks underfed.” At that, several men at the door laughed and hooted.

Gabrielle did not move. She stared at the man, then repeated her order. “Leave.”

“Hm. Speaks Greek, too.” He leaned forward, hands on hips. “No.”

“Bad decision,” she noted. A second later, she snapped the end of her staff up from the floor. A resounding whack echoed in the inn. For a second, nothing was heard or said. Then, the man slowly sank to his knees, holding his groin. Several more whacks reverberated through the inn’s main room, and the man slowly toppled to one side and lay still, fresh lacerations on either side of his forehead.

Dion nodded approval. “So that’s how it works,” he noted.

A second man entered the inn from the crowd at the door. “Let’s see how it works against a sword,” he noted, as he drew his blade.

Gabrielle tensed, awaiting the attack, as she heard Dion’s blade being drawn. No sooner had the man stepped toward Gabrielle than a buzzing whine sounded, and a sharp, circular chakram impaled itself in the man’s chest with a thud. His expression froze in stunned surprise. His sword dropped to the floor; a second later, he fell backward, hit the floor heavily, and lay still, the chakram protruding from his chest.

The man’s companions stood at the open door, stunned at the sight. For a long, terrible moment, no one moved, and no one spoke. Thalia and the two children watched the scene in silent horror from the kitchen door. Dion glanced at Gabrielle for an indication of their next move, but Gabrielle kept her fighting stance and her eyes fixed on the men at the door. She said, “Hello, Xena.”

Xena leapt over the counter and landed, feet apart, near Gabrielle. Her sword rasped out of its sheath. She swung it once in a circular motion, then approached the men at the door and spoke.

“Who’s next?”

No one answered. The remaining four men studied her, then glanced at each other, unsure as to their next move. Xena leaned down, yanked the chakram from the stricken man’s chest, and wiped it on his clothing. Sword in one hand, chakram in the other, she faced the men at the door. “I’ll make you a deal,” she said. “Leave and never return. If we ever see any of your faces around here again, we’ll kill you.”

“Maybe we’ll kill you,” one of the men said.

“Nah.” Xena shook her head. “You would have tried it by now. You’re not going to try.”

One of the four men said, “Come on. There’s four of us. We can take her.”

“And three of them,” one of the other men said. “I’m not having it. I’m out of here.”

“Before you leave,” Xena said, “take your trash with you.” She kicked the leg of one of the fallen men. “And pay them back the money you stole the last time you were here.”

“We didn’t steal any money,” the man in the doorway said.

Gabrielle, who had been quietly listening to the exchange, bent down and yanked a fist-sized cloth bag from the waist of the man she’d knocked unconscious. “What’s this, then?” she asked, as she held it up, then tossed it to Dion.

He opened the pouch, looked inside, and said, “That would be about right.”

“Okay,” Xena said. “Get your buddies off our floor and get lost forever.”

With sullen expressions, the four men sheathed their swords, stepped into the inn, and began dragging their companions’ bodies out the door. They hefted them over the saddles of two horses, then mounted their own horses as Xena, Gabrielle, and Dion watched from the inn door. Just before they left, one of the men drew up his mount near the door and fixed Xena with a dark stare. “You haven’t seen the last of me,” he warned.

Xena replied, “If I see you again, you die. It’s that simple.”

He reflected on that statement, then wheeled his horse about and rode after his companions. Xena, Gabrielle, and Dion watched them until they were out of sight, then closed the inn door.

“Well,” Dion said, “Perhaps that’s the last of them.”

Xena replied, “Don’t count on it.”

Dion asked, “Do you think that they’ll be back?”

“I do. We need to solve this problem permanently.” Xena thought for a moment, then smiled coldly. “Gabrielle, stay here and help Dion defend his home and family, will you?”

“Sure,” Gabrielle said. “But what about you?”

“Argo needs some exercise.” And so do I, she thought. “Don’t wait up for me.”

 

                                                           **********

 

The fire burned and crackled, lending its warmth to the inn’s main room. Gabrielle sipped her wine, then looked over at Thalia. “Are we your only guests tonight?”

“It appears so,” she said. “By this time, most travelers have gotten home for the solstice celebrations.”

“Home,” Gabrielle said softly. “I don’t even know what that’s like anymore.”

 “You’ve been traveling for a long time?” Thalia’s daughter asked.

Gabrielle nodded. “For a few years.”

“Where do you go? What do you do?” the son inquired. “War?”

“When it comes to that,” Gabrielle said. “Mostly, we follow the adventure and do what we can for folks.”

“There can’t be much money in that,” Dion noted, from the counter.

“There’s enough to get by,” Gabrielle said. “Xena’s very creative that way.”

 “Speaking of Xena, she’s been gone for a while,” Thalia noted. “It’s getting dark outside. Are you worried?”

“I’m always worried about her. But she can take care of herself. Still…”

“You’ll be glad when she’s back,” Dion said.

Gabrielle nodded. “I will. And it’s time to take one more walk around the place before dark.” She rose, lifted her staff from its place against the hearth, and headed for the door. “I won’t be long.”

Dion cocked his head to one side. “Is that a horse’s hooves I hear?”

Gabrielle listened. “Yes. A lone horse. Xena’s back.” She trotted to the inn’s door and opened it. Outside, Argo slowed to a stop near the door. Her saddle was empty. Gabrielle noticed what appeared to be a dark stain on the side of the saddle and swiped it with her finger. It was clearly blood. She looked back at Dion. “I’ll be back,” she said. “Keep alert.” Smoothly, she lifted herself by a foot in a stirrup and landed in the saddle. Argo did not need a command; she wheeled and began running down the road, in the direction that Xena had traveled earlier that day.

Thalia and the children joined Dion at the door. “What do you think happened?” she asked.

Dion shook his head. “I don’t know, but I suspect that it’s not good.”

“What can we do?”

“We wait,” he said.

 

                                                          **********

 

As Argo pounded down the road, Gabrielle felt her heart beating in her chest. It seemed to keep rhythm with the horse’s hoofbeats. For every minute that passed, a feeling of dread grew. She tapped the horse’s flanks with her heels and urged the animal on with a shouted command, and she felt Argo increase her stride. As they navigated a bend in the road, the horse slowed, assumed a trot, and eventually stopped. Gabrielle glanced around but did not see anything of note at first. Then, she saw a body in the grass near the road. She recognized the fallen man as one of the ruffians. She dropped from the horse, approached the body, and tapped it with the end of her staff. The man did not respond. She turned him over with the toe of her boot and noted that he was obviously dead, his chest split in what must have been a powerful sword stroke. Xena’s work, she decided. She huffed in frustration as she began searching the area for any sign of Xena. There was none. Finally, she called out Xena’s name.

The answer came in a moment. It was distinct, and nearby. Gabrielle moved in that direction and called Xena’s name again. The voice answered. To her side, about ten feet away, something moved in the dim light. A very familiar voice said, “Gab. Over here.” There was a subtle strain to it, though, a quality that Gabrielle instantly suspected meant that all was not well. She moved in that direction, then halted when the voice said, “Help me up, will you?”

“Xena, are you okay?”

Gabrielle knelt, grabbed the outstretched hand, and pulled hard. Xena sat up. “Been better,” she said. “Help me stand.”

“What’s wrong?” Gabrielle asked, but even as she did, she saw the rivulets of dried blood on the side of Xena’s face as she helped her to her feet.

Xena winced as she leaned down and checked a wound on her thigh. “Damn, that’s going to leave a mark,” she said. “And my head feels like I’ve been on a two-day drunk. It’s pounding like a blacksmith’s hammer. I must have passed out for a minute. How did you find me?”

“Argo came and got me, then stopped when we got here.” She indicated Argo, standing in the distance, with a nod of her head as she wrapped an arm around Xena and steadied her.

“Good old Argo,” Xena said. “See, Gab? I keep telling you that horse likes you.”

“Always with the jokes. You’re bleeding,” Gabrielle said. “Let’s get you back to the inn. We can fix you up there.”

Xena whistled for Argo, and the horse dutifully trotted over to her. Xena attempted to lift her left leg to the stirrup. She grunted in pain, then dropped her foot to the ground and lifted herself to the saddle with both arms. As she swung a leg over the saddle, she said, “Hey, Gab. Grab those three horses over there.”

“Horses?” Gabrielle blinked in confusion. “Where?”

“There. Ride one and guide the others. We’ll take them with us.”

“Whose are they?”

Xena managed a weak grin. “The bad guys, but they won’t be needing them anymore. Come on, Gab. Let’s go home.”

As Xena waited, Gabrielle did as she was told. In a couple of minutes, they were on the road and heading back toward the inn. As they rode side by side, Gabrielle leading two horses behind her, she looked over at Xena. “Is this right?” she asked.

“What?”

“Stealing their horses?”

“It’s not stealing. It’s fortunes of war. I—no, we—won the battle. We get the goodies. That’s the way it works.”

Gabrielle considered that statement, then asked, “There were six of them. There are only three horses.”

“By the gods, Gab. Give me a break. I won the fight. I rounded up the horses. So, three got away.”

“I just meant—”

“What?”

“Three horses got away, or three bad guys got away?

“Three horses. All the bad guys are accounted for and crossing the River Styx right now, on their way to Tartarus.”

“Oh.”

Nothing was said for the remainder of the ride, until they reached the door of the inn. As Gabrielle supported Xena, they shuffled to the inn’s door. Just before she opened it, Gabrielle looked up at Xena. “What are we going to do with these horses?”

“Ah, Gabrielle. You have the soul of an artist, but not a merchant or trader.”

“I guess that’s why I’m always broke then, huh?”

Xena laughed at that, then said, “Ow. Don’t make me laugh, Gab. I have a splitting headache. Now, here’s what I want you to do with the horses…”

 

                                                       **********

 

When Gabrielle returned to the inn, she entered through the back door and made her way to the main room. There, Xena was camped out by the fireplace. Her left thigh had a fresh bandage around it, and Thalia was busy fussing over her scalp wound. Dion and the children were listening in rapt fascination to Xena’s recounting of the skirmish.

Gabrielle decided not to rob Xena of her moment of glory or her audience and contented herself with leaning against the wall and listening. When Xena paused to sip hot wine, Dion asked, “So, we won’t have to worry about them anymore?”

“Nope. They’re Hades’s problem now.”

The boy said, “You took on four of them yourself?”

Gabrielle decided to join the conversation. “That’s nothing. She once took on an entire advance guard of Persians by herself.”

Xena smiled when she saw that Gabrielle had returned. “She was there, too. Hey, Gab. Mission accomplished?”

“Yep.” Gabrielle handed Xena a small cloth purse. “Argo’s stabled, the horses are sold to the stable guy, and here’s the money for them.” She shrugged as she watched Xena open the purse and peer inside. “You probably could have bargained a better price than me, but—”

“You did good, Gab. That’s more than I thought we’d get for those nags.” Xena looked up at Dion. “Okay, let’s settle the tab, Dion. What do we owe you for a couple more days of room and meals?”

“After what you’ve done for us?” Dion said. “How can we take money from you?”

“Oh, we couldn’t,” Thalia echoed.

 “How many more days until the solstice celebration?” Xena asked.

“Maybe five,” Thalia said.

“It’s customary to give a gift at solstice, is it not?”

Thalia nodded. “It’s what we Greeks do.”

“Exactly. Gab and I are giving you a solstice present.” She poured most of the coins into Thalia’s hand. “Happy solstice to you, from us.” She held up a hand to stifle any argument. “I noted that there were, shall we say, few of the usual solstice breads, candles, and such around here. I’m assuming that it’s been a sparse year?”

“Well, it has been,” Thalia admitted. “And those ruffians stole from us and ate our food.”

“And are the markets open tomorrow?”

“Yes, in the village just up the road.”

Thalia’s daughter perked up. Excitedly, she asked, “Can we take the donkey cart, and all go to market tomorrow?”

“Oh, yeah!” the boy said. “I’m driving.”

Dion stepped forward and raised a hand to silence the children. “Xena, this is all very kind, but I can’t allow this unless we return a gift to you and Gabrielle.”

“What have we to give them?” Thalia said. “If we have it, it’s theirs, of course.”

“I have a doll,” the girl said, “that you can have.”

“And I have a bow and arrows,” the boy added. “You can have it.”

“I think I know of a gift that’s in our power to give. To a soldier, it would be beyond price.”

“What?” Thalia asked.

Dion motioned Gabrielle closer. “We don’t have much wealth, but we want you, Xena, and you, Gabrielle, to stay for the week and celebrate the solstice with us.” He paused, then added, “And not as paying guests, but as family. Would you honor us with that?”

The room fell silent. Thalia and the children waited for Xena’s answer. Dion raised an eyebrow in anticipation of good news. For a moment, Xena said nothing. She glanced up at Dion, and Gabrielle noted that Xena’s eyes were wet.

“Family,” Xena repeated. “For so long, I have not heard that word.”

“Then,” Dion asked, “I take it that’s a ‘yes’?”

“We would be honored to have you both,” Thalia urged.

Xena glanced over at Gabrielle and saw the answer in her expression. “Family is a gift beyond treasure. Thank you. We would love to stay for the solstice.”

The children whooped and danced in joy as Thalia leaned forward and kissed Xena’s cheek. Dion sat next to her, extended a hand, and they clasped arms in a gesture of comradeship. “Remember, you two,” Dion said to Xena and Gabrielle, “that wherever your future takes you, you will always have family in this humble little inn.”

“I have known kings whose kingdoms weren’t as splendid as this, Dion. You’re truly a wealthy man.”

The boy tapped Gabrielle on the arm. “Are you coming with us to market tomorrow?” he asked.

Gabrielle glanced at Xena. “Will you need me?”

“Nah. I’ll mind the inn.” Xena said. She spoke to the room next. “Gabrielle loves two things beyond measure: shopping and talking. She’s something of a bard, you know. She’ll keep you plied with stories until the gods take us all.”

Amid laughter, Gabrielle tilted her head in surprise. “I’m not that bad, am I, Xena? Am I really?”

“No,” Xena said. “You’re that good. In fact, why don’t you tell us a story now?” She sat up and pointed a finger at Gabrielle enthusiastically. “Oh! Tell the one about when you first met Aphrodite!”

Both children looked at Gabrielle with wide eyes. “You’ve spoken with the gods?”

Gabrielle shrugged. “Well, a couple of them. Okay, here goes,” she said, as she sat near Xena. Dion, Thalia, and their children assumed seats by the hearth as Gabrielle said, “I’ll make it the short version.”

“Yeah, right,” Xena muttered.

“Oh, stop!” When the laughter subsided, Gabrielle began, “We were near Athens in those days…”

  

                                                                   The End.

 

-djb, December 2023

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy