We Do What We Can

Part 12

By: Girl Bard

girl_bard@yahoo.com

Disclaimer: No one reads these, but I’ll humor myself. I don’t own LL or ROC, but if I did, I’m sure I’d be off doing more….er…entertaining things rather than writing about some fictional characters by the name of Jaden and Grace. So don’t get all legal on my ass because I’m a very poor college student with no money to my name. So anyone trying to sue me will get a lot of art supplies and an ornery Jack Russell Terrier.

Subtext: yes, Yes, YES!! This story starts out with a G rating, but will eventually proceed to NC-17. This means explicit sex between women. If this offends you, why are you reading alternative fan fiction? Huh?

Summary: This is the sequel to the sequel of I Know This Bar. It would really help if you read that story, followed by Houdini’s Box. This is the third (but not final) story in the series.

Author's Note: These two lovable characters blossomed into an actual story after driving on a rainy Massachusetts day listening to Ani Difranco's incredible song, "I Know This Bar." Henceforth, Houdini’s Box was inspired by Jill Sobule’s equally incredible song "Houdini’s Box." Because I’m a strict believer in following tradition, this story is named after the lovable Sheryl’s Crow haunting song "We Do What We Can."

Feedback: PLEASE! That’s all I need to say. girl_bard@yahoo.com

Dedication: My betas, you rule. My dog rules too. My girlfriend really rules. Life is good.

Friday, August 4, 2000

Swirling the bright green of my margarita around in the glass I tip my head back to finish the last few sips. I shudder as the cold alcohol makes it way down my throat and laugh as I set the glass down and take Jaden's hand to return to the dance floor.

We're having an incredible time. If I didn't already consider myself the luckiest person in the world for having someone as amazing as Jaden in my life, I do now. It's unbelievable to me that she went to all this trouble to surprise me with this weekend.

It's perfect. The hotel is beautiful; our room is spacious with a great view of the skyline. We walked into the lobby and I felt like I was walking into a movie set, the hotel features a fountain and gorgeous glass chandeliers. I stood there gaping like a codfish until Jaden finished checking in.

She suggested a cool restaurant called the "Brew Moon" for dinner and the food was incredible and the design so interesting. The interior was really well done and gave the restaurant an interesting and industrial-type of feeling. After having a few drinks over dinner we came to the bar and have been having a blast dancing and enjoying a night out.

We haven't done much of this since I moved here; there hasn't been enough time. Not that I'm big into the party scene, but it's nice to be able to kick back and enjoy life. Plus, I was never exposed to gay and lesbian culture in Ohio and it's awesome to see so many people in one place that I know are friendly.

I know I'm getting more and more drunk and I want to slow down. Jaden is the one who doesn't get hangovers but I haven't forgotten my first night here at this bar and how awful I felt the next morning. I plan on taking Jaden up on her offer for a day of sightseeing around the city and I don't want to be nursing a headache all day.

She's so beautiful. Jaden is having a wonderful time, I can tell. I feel like we are a million miles away from Aron and all the memories surrounding him. I know we're only forty minutes from home, but it still feels like we are in another country. She is smiling more than I've seen her since the accident and just letting herself go.

I can't believe how she can dance. I know I still make fun of her and Joe for their horrendous performance at the China while singing karaoke, but here, with this music and with my body pressed against hers she really can dance. I can't wait to show her how much I love her when we get to back to the hotel. Another reason I have to make sure I don't get drunk. I want to remember everything about tonight.

The heavy throbbing of the music drives me against her body and we move in perfect synchronicity until we are both breathless. Her long hair tickles my bare arms that are wrapped around her neck. Her arms are wrapped tightly around my lower back and her breasts rub teasingly against my chest. She looks stunning tonight, wearing an iridescent blue top and tight black pants. Jaden's body is driving me wild and as I remove my arms from around her neck and run my hands up her sides I feel her shudder at my touch and I know I'm having the same affect on her.

The song fades and another techno-sounding one begins. I wipe the sweat forming on my forehead and blow out an overheated sign. Jaden looks winded as well so I take her hand and lead her back over to our table.

Once we sit, we don't let each other go, content to sit with our hands interlocked. I gaze into Jaden's impossibly blue eyes. "I love you. Thank you for this." I tell her and she cocks her head and smiles. I don't think she can hear me over the dance music. Laughing, I reach to her and pull her shoulders closer to me. I repeat my former sentence while reaching to push a stray lock of hair back behind her ear.

She is burning up. I put my hand against her forehead, knowing that I am also hot from all the dancing, but she feels unusually hot.

"I love you too." She answers, taking my hand pressed to her forehead to her lips instead. Jaden tenderly kisses my palm before returning it to her own hand.

"You feel okay?" I ask, louder this time. She peers at me strangely and shrugs her shoulders.

"Yeah, I'm great. You want another drink? I think I'll have one more." She stands and I nod, deciding that I will have one more also. We've been here a few hours now and have been drinking slowly. Squeezing my hand before heading to the bar, Jaden cuts effectively through the thick crowd with little trouble. I don't know how she does that.

I know she'll be up there awhile. It's packed here tonight and only by getting here early were we able to get a table. I survey the crowd, smiling at the amount of people going to town on the dance floor. I never knew that gay men were such amazing dancers. I wonder if my uncle dances? I chuckle out loud thinking of him trying to dance, I can't imagine him ever doing such a thing.

I miss him. He's been back in Ohio such a short time but I can't believe how much I enjoyed having him here. Jaden mentioned maybe going back to visit sometime this summer and I hope we do. I miss him and I miss Lydia. And as much as I hate the thought of it, I need to sit down with my mother and father and tell them once and for all that I am never coming back to marry Scott. I think I'll even tell them about Jaden and the fact that I'm gay. I don't want any more secrets in my life.

"Excuse me?" A voice interrupts me from my thoughts. I glance above me to see two women around my age standing at our table.

"Hi?" I offer questioningly, unsure as to what they asked me.

"Are these two seats taken?" The shorter of the two asks politely, motioning at the two seats Jaden and I aren't using. "There are no other tables and we really hate to bother you, but we've been trying to find somewhere to sit all night." The woman finishes, smiling at me.

"Sure, have a seat. We only had a table because we were here so early." I respond, sticking out my hand to introduce myself. "I'm Grace McKenzie, nice to meet you."

"I'm Kim Chase, nice to meet you also." The shorter woman answers, shaking my hand. I smile brightly at her and turn my gaze to the taller woman.

"Stacey Harris." The tall woman says shyly. I shake her hand and smile at her as well. They both sit and a few seconds of uncomfortable silence fill the table. I'm not really sure of etiquette, I mean, are we expected to talk because we are sharing a table? Or do they not want to make small talk and just needed a space to sit? Never one to back down from a situation, I get the ball rolling.

"Are you from around here?" I ask, deciding that if it's obvious that they don't want to talk, I'll shut up and wait for Jaden to get back.

Kim speaks first. "Actually I am. We live north of here." She says, gesturing toward Stacey.

"I moved here from Michigan." Stacey offers softly. I turn to her, immediately feeling like we have something in common and smile at her. She seems very nice, just shy.

"I moved here from Ohio. It's a different world here, isn't it?" I offer and her blue-gray eyes light up. She nervously pushes her curly brown hair behind her ear.

"It really is. I'm still trying to adjust." She says and Kim pipes in.

"Stace is still a little nervous being out in public, you know? She didn't feel comfortable back home with her sexual preference, and it's still hard for her to feel safe here." Kim finishes.

"You know, I am right here! You don't have to talk about me like I can't hear you!" Stacey adds, elbowing Kim in the side jokingly. Kim just shrugs and the three of us laugh.

"Is Michigan not gay-friendly?" I ask curiously. "I mean, my part of Ohio is definitely not, but I know some parts like Cleveland and the bigger Ohio cities have more tolerance for lesbians and gays. But I know how you feel, it's strange to be able to walk down the street holding my girlfriend's hand and not worry about being singled out." I add.

"Yeah, I know what you mean. Michigan isn't awful, but I'm pretty shy anyway." Stacey responds.

"Well, now that you're here you can be as gay as you want until you go home for the holidays." Kim chimes in. "And I'll go with you and pretend to be your college roommate again." She adds playfully.

"Are you both in college?" I ask, feeling comfortable with Stacey and Kim. They seem really nice.

"Yeah, we go to Pressman College, in Salem." Kim responds. "We will be juniors this year."

"Do you like it there?" I inquire, knowing that I need to get on the ball and figure out what to do in my life so I can finish school.

"I love it." Stacey answers. "It's a nice school, small enough that the classes are small but large enough that it actually feels like a college."

"That sounds great. We live in Beverly and I've been trying to decide where to finish college out here. I hated my school in Ohio and left before graduation so I'm trying to figure out what to do and where to go." I add, sighing when I realize how much work I have ahead of me.

"It's nice." Kim adds thoughtfully. "They have a great transfer program, you really should check it out. Stace transferred here from Michigan State and they accepted almost all of her credits. Plus, because it's a private school you won't get charged with a non-resident tax and it has great financial aid. I'm going completely on scholarships." She finishes.

"Thanks, I will. Do you live on campus?" I ask. "Maybe I can get you to give me a tour or something."

"Sure!" Stacey exclaims brightly and Kim nods eagerly. "That would be fun. We share a room on campus and are there all the time. Right now we are staying with Kim's parents until fall semester resumes and they live in Salem so we're pretty close to where you live."

"Remind me to give you my number before you leave, okay?" I finish, excited at the thought of having two people going to a school close by. Maybe Pressman will be the place for me to figure out what I want to do.

Stacey and Kim's eyes both widen in surprise as they glance behind me so I assume that Jaden is there, giving them an intimidating stare. I turn around to see that I'm exactly right. Taking my drink from her hand I tug her down into the seat next to me.

"This is Kim and Stacey." I tell her, my eyes imploring her to be polite. Not that I think she'd do anything crazy like pick them up and throw them across the room just for talking to me, but there is something murderous in her eyes that I can't figure out. "Guys, this is my Jaden." I tell them proudly, all the while pleading with the Gods and Goddesses above for Jaden to behave.

"Hey." Jaden drawls slowly, her voice low.

"Nice to meet you." Kim responds undaunted while poor Stacey looks like she wants to crawl under the table. "We were having trouble finding a seat and Grace was kind enough to let us sit here." Kim finishes, looking Jaden straight in the eye. I have to give Kim credit, she has guts.

Jaden turns to me, smiling. "That was nice." She says and leans over to kiss my cheek gently, all traces of her fury gone.

"Kim and Stacey go to Pressman in Salem and were filling me in on the college." I offer and Jaden looks thoughtful.

"That's a really nice school and only about ten minutes away. I bet you would really like it." She finishes, smiling at Kim and Stacey genuinely.

I shake my head in amusement, wondering what came over Jaden to make her act as protective as a mother lion one second and then like a kitten the next. Her hand finds mine under the table and I squeeze it, noting how warm it feels.

Remembering to question her later to make sure she's feeling okay, I turn my attention back to the conversation that Jaden has started with Kim and Stacey. They seem to be chatting easily and I eagerly join in the conversation.

Later That Evening

I stifle a yawn as we get into the cab. Jaden leans her body into mine for support and I gladly take it, my hand clasping hers and I snuggle into her tall frame, her incredibly toned and burning with fever frame.

"You feel like shit, don't you?" I ask and Jaden doesn't answer, just squeezing my hand in response. Sighing, I give in to her pride and don't press her any further.

We ride to the hotel in silence and I struggle to keep my weary eyes open. I didn't know dancing could take that much out of you.

"They were really nice." Jaden murmurs in my ear and I give in to my urge to yawn and do so before responding to her. I know she's talking about Stacey and Kim and once she let her guard down the four of us had a really great time until the bar closed.

"Yeah, I'm looking forward to having dinner with them this week. Why were you so ready to pound them when you got back to the table?" I ask, not having a chance to question Jaden about her behavior at the bar.

I feel her shrug against me. "I didn't know if they were working for Aron. We can't be too careful, you know? I'll run a background check on the both of them at work Monday." She finishes and I sigh in despair.

"Nothing is ever going to be the same, is it? We're going to have to look over our shoulders forever." I tell her dejectedly.

She tightens her hold around me. "That's not true. But for now, I want to be careful." Jaden responds quietly. "So, what do you think of Boston so far?" She continues, her tone considerably brighter.

"It's beautiful." I answer, the bright lights off of the buildings shining through the windows of the cab. "I want to go so many places tomorrow! What do you have planned?" Grateful for the change of subject, I allow myself to think about tomorrow with anticipation.

"Well, I thought we could go to the museums, I think you'll really like them. And then maybe the aquarium and the IMAX theater. Tomorrow night I thought we could try to get theater tickets and on Sunday I have a surprise for you." She tells me eagerly.

"More surprises? You spoil me." I respond, my voice low with affection for her.

"You deserve it." Jaden states as she leans down to give me the sweetest kiss I've ever received.

Smiling, I sit back into the comfort of her arms until we reach the hotel. I insist on paying for the cab ride and we walk drearily up to our hotel room. I just know that Jaden isn't feeling well, but her stubbornness and pride won't admit to anything. Goddess, please let it just be a summer cold and not something worse. Like chicken pox. I can't imagine Jaden as a patient for something as serious. I could barely keep her calm after the shipwreck when she bruised her ribs, I highly doubt that I will be able to keep her from scratching herself to death.

"I'm going to take a shower." Jaden mentions as we get into our room. "Want to join me?" She adds, her beautiful eyes twinkling.

"You bet." I answer, kicking off my shoes. Jaden pulls me to her and kisses me fervently as her hands grasp the waistband of my pants. I moan into her mouth and pull her closer to me, lost in the musky scent of her skin.

"I can't keep my hands off of you." She growls into my ear before biting my earlobe. "It's these pants, they do unbelievable things to your ass."

I'm too lost in my undeniable need for her to be shocked. She's usually more reserved and gentle in our lovemaking, but to hear her admit that she's been lusting after me makes me throb with desire.

She backs me into the bathroom as she unbuttons my pants and pulls them down along with my underwear. Her strong arms lift me effortlessly onto the counter and she stands back, surveying her work.

"I can't wait to make you come." Jaden utters, her voice low as she stares at me. I am unable to respond, my breath haggard and unsteady. I nod in compliance and take my shirt off hurriedly, throwing it on the floor as I move on to unfastening my bra.

Jaden merely smirks as she turns on the shower and adjusts the temperature. Then she slowly removes all of her clothing, teasing me until I am begging to view her body. The next thing I know we are in the shower together, moaning and touching every available inch of each other's skin.

The thought that I used to be afraid of showering because of the shipwreck never even enters my mind. It doesn't have time to. All I can focus on are Jaden's hands on my breasts and her lips on my neck. I stroke her water-slicked skin and become lost in the smoothness of her body.

"Goddess!" I hiss when her incredible tongue moves to my breast and sweetly caresses my nipple. My hands tangle in her wet hair as I encourage her by pulling her closer. As she gets on her knees in front of me I close my eyes in anticipation, crying out in pleasure when her long fingers enter me and her tongue gently joins in their rhythm.

It's so much at once, the feelings that are pulsing through me. I know that I'm having trouble standing up because my legs feel so weak, and I know that nothing has ever felt this good and nothing ever could.

The sensations build until I'm practically blinded by the emotions running through my body. I feel Jaden everywhere, surrounding me with such love that it makes my heart hurt. I scream her name, my gasping voice vibrating and echoing off of the shiny tiles of the shower and practically collapse into her arms.

"Shh, it's okay. I've got you." She whispers in my ears and I cling to her as I try to catch my breath. Her skin is warm against me and I nuzzle into her, noting how her damp hair falls along her shoulders to frame her beautiful neck. I pepper kisses along it, tasting her salty skin.

"I love you." I tell her, hugging her fiercely.

"I know. I love you too." She responds. "So much Gracie, that you'll never know."

"I do know." I respond quietly, never leaving her embrace. We continue to hold each other until the water runs cold.

Part 13: Coming soon! Stay tuned and please email me with feedback!!!


Return to Main Page