CHAPTER 4

 

There were more people at this PPG meeting, Tehvay noted, than had shown up at the first meeting she had attended the previous week. At that meeting, she had watched from off stage as Trujilon, Ellovene, and the other members of the PPG leadership spoke to a group of about fifty people. This week, four times that number of people were in attendance. Word was spreading.

Trujilon and two other leading members of the PPG were seated at the front of the stage. Tehvay sat behind them with Ellovene and another member of the PPG leadership. A hush fell over the hall as Trujilon stepped up to the podium and began to speak.

"Thank you everyone for coming, especially those who are here for the first time. My name is Trujilon Berneth. You are probably wondering what is the PPG? We will get to that in a minute, but let me ask you this – how many of you have heard about the slave raids in Salnadar?"

Almost everyone in the meeting room raised their hands.

Tehvay looked out at the faces of the crowd. She could feel their anticipation of what Trujilon was about to say next. She too, felt some anticipation, but her emotions were mixed with frustration and sadness, because she knew how his story ended.

"How many of you know someone who was captured or killed during that raid?"

Only one or two hands went up. Trujilon slowly raised his hand and kept it up as he spoke. "Yes, I know someone. Harolf was my roommate for all five years at university. I was studying Civic Planning, and he was studying Agriculture. We were at the opposite ends of the socio-economic spectrum, but we were like brothers."

Trujilon lowered his hand and grasped the lectern. From her position, Tehvay couldn't see his face, but she could tell it was hurting him to recount the story, just as it had the week before. "Three months ago, Harolf went home to Salnadar on final semester break to see his family. One night, a group of slave raiders came to his family's farm in the middle of the night, yanked everyone out of their beds, and marched them outside. Harolf was the oldest of four children. He tried to fight back to protect his family. He was severely beaten; only pleas from his mother made them stop."

Trujilon took a drink of water before continuing. "Harolf's family were put onto the transports and taken by the slave raiders, but not Harolf. They left him for dead. He died two days later. I was at his bedside when he died. And even though his eyes were swollen shut and his jaw broken, Harolf was able to tell me every horrifying detail of what happened, and that's why I am able to tell you. Do you know what his last words were?" Trujilon paused and looked out at the audience. "His last words were: 'Tell them I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't save them.'"

Tehvay watched Trujilon straighten up and turn his head slowly to scan the crowd.

"I vowed that night I wasn't going to let Harolf's death be in vain; I wasn't going to sit by and allow one more citizen of Trengos to be ripped from their beds, taken against their will, and sold into slavery."

There were murmurs throughout the assembly hall.

"Will you?" Trujilon demanded. "Will you sit by while your friend, or your neighbour, or members of your own family are rounded up and sold to the Hegemony, never to be seen again? Or will you join us…" Trujilon pointed to those on the stage with him. "Join the Planetary Protection Group and fight for your rights," he said pointing around the room at people in the audience, "and the rights of all Trengosians to live in peace and freedom!" 

Several people shouted 'Yes!' while others wanted more information. That's when another member of the PPG leadership, Szymon, stood up and took over that part of the meeting. When Szymon was finished explaining more about what the PPG was trying to accomplish, Ellovene got up to address the group.

"Are there any questions?" Ellovene asked.

A man raised his hand. "I'm all for what you want to do, but what exactly do you want from us if we sign up? Is there a membership fee or something?"

"There is no membership fee. However, the Leadership does incur some costs now and again, which we pay for. If anyone else wishes to cover those costs, we'd be most grateful." Ellovene conveyed the plea for money gently. "What signing up to join means is that you're adding your voice to the cause. We ask you to tell your friends and family about us. We ask that if we have to go and picket a government office to get heard, you'll be there. We ask that you help in any way you can. If all you can do is just sign your name in support, then that is all we'll ask of you."

"Well, sign me up," the man said.

From her place on stage, Tehvay was caught up in the man's enthusiasm.

"Any more questions?" asked Ellovene.

Tehvay looked around at the assembly, but no one raised their hands. Hearing Trujilon's speech again, stirred something in her. She timidly stepped up to the front of stage and spoke to Ellovene. "I'd like to say a few words, if I may."

Ellovene turned and smiled. "Sure!"

Ellovene asked for everyone to be quiet, and then she introduced Tehvay. "This is Tehvay, a friend of ours." She stepped aside and gestured for Tehvay to step forward.  "Go ahead Tehvay."

"Well, I, uh," Tehvay suddenly felt at a loss for words. As a slave, Tehvay had been made to stand before a crowd at a party and degrade herself. This group was larger and not expecting her to do such a thing, but it was somehow more terrifying. Looking out at all the expectant faces made her stomach knot up and her mouth go dry. She fought the urge to run off stage. Her mind went blank and panic was setting in, until she saw the half-full glass of water, which Trujilon had just used. She grabbed it and finished its contents.

She felt a hand on her shoulder. "It's okay Tehvay," Ellovene reassured her. "Take your time."

"Hello, my name is Tehvay…" She paused to try and calm her nerves. "Tehvay Veilan."

"We can't hear you!" someone shouted from the back of the hall.

"Oh, okay." She raised her voice. "Is that better?"

Several people in the back of the room called out that they could hear her now. That helped to settle Tehvay's nerves and she continued. "Good, because I want you all to hear what I'm saying. I want to say to all of you is that I know what it is like to be taken from one's family and forced into slavery." Tehvay paused and shook her head. "Actually, no I don't know, because I was taken at birth, so I never even got to meet my family."

There were some murmurs: a few people questioned if she was saying she had been a slave. She hesitated. Should I really to go into detail about my years as a slave?  Tehvay looked to Ellovene, who nodded to go ahead.

"Yes, for years I was a slave. And unless you've been a slave, you have no idea how awful it is. The life of a slave is no life at all. Slaves are not even considered human beings. They are referred to as 'it'. Your owner can do anything they want to you…" She emphasised the word 'anything', allowing it to resonate with the audience. "They can even have you put down on a whim. And a slave has no voice, no say in where they go or what they do, no value except to their owner."

Tehvay looked up and saw all eyes upon her. She took a deep breath and continued. "What is worse than the humiliation, the tedium, the hard work – is that at the end of the day, you're no more to them than a stick of furniture." Tehvay's lip began to tremble as she shared the painful revelation. "I, I don't know what else to say… other than it has to stop. We need to make a stand and say 'No!' to the slave raiders. Not our mothers, not our fathers, or sisters or brothers, or children. Not here. Not now. Not ever again!"

Tehvay hadn't meant to give such an impassioned speech. She was almost embarrassed; however, that soon changed when the room erupted in spontaneous applause. Ellovene and Trujilon came over to her and gave her a hug.

"Tehvay, that was wonderful!" Ellovene said.

"Yeah, you were brilliant!" Trujilon turned Tehvay around and pointed to the queue of people waiting to sign up to join the PPG. "And look! Normally we might get a handful of new people to join, but there's got to be at least half the crowd eager to sign up, all because of you!"

Tehvay replied humbly, "Oh, I don't know about that. I'm sure it was your presentation."

"No, I'm telling you, it's you!" Trujilon replied. "Can you come and make a speech next week, and the week after that and the week after that?"

"Why don't you let the poor woman catch her breath, Tru," said Ellovene. "Though, seriously Tehvay, you're a natural. Your speech made me want to join up again!"

They all laughed.

"Well, let's get you home," Trujilon said, "so you can start writing your speech for next week."

~~~~

Ambra merely glanced up from her work as Aloyd Falentha entered her office. "Take a seat," she said and gestured to the couch against the wall. Only after she finished the correspondence she was working on did she turn her full attention to the aloyd. Ambra thought the aloyd lacked the poise and polish of an academy graduate; however, the dark-grey uniform suited Gral'hilanth much better than the Quernal rags she had been wearing when they first met.

"Would you like a drink, Aloyd Falentha?"

"Yes, thank you, Councillor," replied the aloyd. "I'll... excuse me."

Contractions with the personal pronoun were used by the lower castes of Hegemony society, not Elit. Ambra was pleased to hear Gral'hilanth correct herself.

The aloyd continued. "I will have a durm—"

"Sarray, a glass of water for the aloyd." She fixed her brightest smile on the officer. "One shouldn't drink on duty."

As Ambra spoke, the door chime went off, and Sarray hurried to answer it.

Two blonde-haired missiles came screaming into the room. Ambra knelt down, and they hit her with a force that almost knocked her backwards. Their shrill, excited voices pierced her ears. She straightened up and held a finger up. They fell silent.

"Good boys," she said. "Remember, you are Elit. Shouting and screaming for attention is what the Quernal do." She smiled as they shuddered at the word. "Now, give me a hug. Quietly." She drew the last word out and lowered her voice.

Her sons giggled as they crushed her between them, pecking her cheeks and neck with sloppy kisses. She gave each one a kiss on the forehead.

"Now, let me look at you. Have you grown since I last saw you?"

"Yes!" They said together.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!"

"I only saw you this morning." She gave each one's stomach a scratch, and they squirmed with delight. "You wouldn't be lying, would you?" she teased them.

They both shook their heads.

Haranal and Jenton were identical. As babies, even Ambra had difficulty telling them apart. Now, at the age of four, there were enough subtle differences that a mother could tell which one was which: Haranal had a fleck of green in his left eye and Jenton had two freckles on his nose.

"I am taller than Jent," said Haranal proudly.

"You're not!"

"I am."

"You smell."

Ambra smiled at the exchange. She loved her boys; both were destined for important roles. Haranal was to be an aloyd, Jenton a governor. Even greater when I take control, she thought. Haranal would be Rivelor, and Jenton would govern many systems, not just a planet.

"Who would like a drink?" she asked.

"Me!" They both put their hands in the air.

"What do we say?"

The boys turned to Sarray. "Slave, drink!" they shouted.

"Good boys." She gave them both a hug and led them to a small settee in the corner. Sarray gave them both a glass of some carbonated fruit juice. "Now boys. I have some news. My role demands that I have to go away for a while." The boys looked at her in shock. "Do not worry. I will call you every day, and before you know it, I will be back home."

"I don't want you to go," Haranal moaned.

"You must be big and strong, Haran." Ambra gave him a firm look.

"I will."

"You too, Jent."

Jenton nodded.

Ambra finally turned her attention to her husband, Larndan, who had accompanied the boys to see their mother. He stood off to the side while his sons lavished affection on their mother.

Larndan smiled at her. "I see you are all packed," he said, looking towards the two large suitcases near the door.

Ambra only married Larndan because she felt it her duty to marry and have children. He was from the Gronason family, one of the newer Elit families and had readily agreed to take her name. As an archaeologist, Larndan was occasionally away on field trips, and when he was home, she would find the need to be busy in work. Once in a while, she would submit to her wifely duty and have sex with him. It always left her cold and feeling sullied, though she never showed it, just like she never showed how much she enjoyed sex with women.

If there was one thing she liked about Larndan, it was that he never pestered her for attention. He was content to live his life and let her live hers. He also loved their sons as much as she did.

"I will be gone for at least ten days," she said to him. "Then, if things go to plan, I will be very busy afterwards."

"Your big announcement."

"My big announcement," she concurred. He knew she was planning something, but she had not shared the details.

Her husband noticed that Ambra had company. He regarded Aloyd Falentha with a curious look.

Ambra smiled and gestured to Larndan. "This is my husband Larndan Anthan Marven ap Lentol. This is Aloyd Gral'hilanth Lintana ap Falentha."

"A pleasure to meet you," said Larndan.

The aloyd offered a non-committal grunt and a single nod of the head. She needs to learn some manners and respect, thought Ambra. "These are my sons, Haranal Larndan Kartrin ap Lentol and Jenton Ambran Marven ap Lentol."

The aloyd glanced at the boys who were busy playing on the couch.

Disrespecting my husband is one thing, however, disrespecting my sons is another. It's bad. Bad people need punishment.

"I will be with you shortly," Ambra said to Falentha, maintaining her pleasant exterior. She bade goodbye to her husband and gave her sons one final kiss.

After escorting them to the door, Ambra returned to the waiting aloyd.

"I need to go to Yun'thul," she said. "Straight away."

Falentha looked confused for a moment. "On the Relentless?"

"Is that a problem?"

"No."

"Good. Then let us depart."

"Yes, Councillor." The aloyd finished her water, stood up, and started for the door.

Sarray picked up her mistress' luggage. They were heavy, but the slave was more than capable of carrying them.

"Aloyd Falentha, help the slave carry my luggage."

"Councillor?"

"Do I have to repeat myself?"

"I think you do," said the aloyd. "I am not a slave. I don't carry luggage."

Ambra maintained her cordial demeanour. "Please."

The aloyd sighed and relieved Sarray of half its burden.

Ambra smiled inwardly. This one still needs work, but there is no one else I can trust with my secret.

~~~~

Gral'hilanth had been a little concerned as to what mood Ambra would be in. When the councillor had summoned her to Kalenth, she had seemed a little annoyed with Gral'hilanth. However, the councillor was nothing but sweetness and light. Watching the scene between the councillor and her sons was like watching a deadly creature play with its offspring: it looked like family bliss, but woe betide any outsider who crossed them.

That made Gral'hilanth more wary.

She had escorted Councillor Lentol from the surface, and as soon as they were on board, the Relentless departed for Yun'thul. Now that they were underway, Gral'hilanth and Captain Eadmon were enjoying a pleasant dinner in the councillor's private quarters.

Gral'hilanth sat at one end of the table, and Ambra sat at the other. Eadmon sat between them. Ambra's slave hovered near the councillor's shoulder, ready to serve. It was an odd dynamic between mistress and slave. Ambra barely said a word. Just a gesture or a look and the slave sprang into action – filling a glass, removing a plate, adding salt to the meal.

I'm surprised she doesn't have the slave feed her, Gral'hilanth mused. The only time Ambra issued a full command to the slave was to order it to attend one of her guests. By the end of the meal, even those instructions weren't verbalised.

The captain had tried to prise details from the councillor as to the purpose of the mission, but Ambra remained tight lipped. Gral'hilanth could tell the captain was not too happy at being kept in the dark, but Eadmon let the matter drop.

"More wine, Captain Eadmon?" Ambra asked.

The councillor raised a finger and the slave immediately appeared at the captain's side ready to pour.

"No thank you, Councillor." Eadmon drained the last drops from her glass and stood up. "I must go. I have to be on duty at 07:00."

"The joys of being an aloyd," Gral'hilanth raised her glass to the captain. "I have the luxury of being able to be late." She downed the contents of her own glass and signalled the slave for a refill. She was beginning to feel a pleasant buzz.

The captain said nothing in return, just saluted and left.

"Something stronger, Aloyd? Durmywid?" Councillor Lentol offered.

Gral'hilanth looked at Ambra. "Don't mind if I do."

"Sarray." Ambra raised an eyebrow and gave a brief nod.

"Yes, Mistress."

The slave moved to a side table to get the drink while Ambra sauntered around the table towards Gral'hilanth. The councillor dragged the captain's vacated chair closer to the aloyd and sat down. The slave returned with two glasses of durmywid.

"A toast," said Ambra, picking up the glass nearest to her.

Gral'hilanth picked up her glass and waited.

"To the future. May it bring both of us what we desire."

The word 'desire' resonated in Gral'hilanth's alcohol fuzzed brain. She smiled and held her glass out. The councillor clinked her glass against Gral'hilanth's and downed the spirit in a single gulp. The aloyd usually liked to take her time savouring the aniseed taste of durmywid, but followed Ambra's lead.

The drink burned the back of her throat, and the pleasant buzz she was feeling increased a notch.

Two more glasses appeared. Gral'hilanth reached out to take a glass. "A toasht," she slurred.

Just as she was about to raise the glass to her lips, a hand stopped her. It took Gral'hilanth a moment to realise what was going on. Gral'hilanth tried to pull her hand free and a few drops splashed out of the glass onto her hand.  

"I am disappointed," said Ambra. Her hand pushed Gral'hilanth's arm harder to the table. "I had hoped you would follow orders."

"I—"

"Silence!" Ambra twisted Gral'hilanth's arm back and the durmywid spilled over the table. The slave quickly moved to wipe up the drink, but Ambra stopped it.

If Gral'hilanth could've broken free, she would have decked Ambra, but the blonde-haired woman was strong and had Gral'hilanth immobilised.

"You're nothing without me," Ambra continued, her voice hard. "Your rank is meaningless. You're only an aloyd, because I gave you the rank bars. I can just as easily take them away. While you wear the rank bars of an aloyd, you will act accordingly. You will respect the chain of command, you will be punctual, and you will follow orders to the letter. This is not a game. Do you understand?"

Gral'hilanth was slow to answer. Ambra twisted even tighter. "Do you understand?"

"Yes, Councillor!"

Ambra released her grip and stood up.

"You have to ask yourself what your priorities are and where your loyalties lie." The councillor's voice softened. "I need to gain control of the Council and the Hegemony itself. Until that time, I demand complete obedience from you."

Gral'hilanth rubbed her arm to try and get the circulation going again. "How does going to Yun'thul help you gain control of the Council?"

"There's a wound there," Ambra replied.

"A wound?"

"Yes, one that the Council thinks is healed. I'm going to show them that not only is it still open, it's a fatal wound, and I won't be trying to sell them the cure, just a painless end."

The alcoholic buzz subsided slightly as Gral'hilanth absorbed Ambra's words.

The councillor regarded Gral'hilanth with a look akin to a lover's gaze. "Follow me and I can give you everything you want."

"Everything I want?"

"Yes. Everything. Power, status… revenge."

"Karthen?"

"If that is what you want. You can kill her or keep her as a slave." Ambra walked behind Gral'hilanth's chair and said, "Whatever you desire."

That word 'desire' again, said in a soft, breathy tone. An uneasy feeling came over Gral'hilanth, but she was willing to play Ambra's game.

She turned around in her chair and looked at the blonde-haired woman. "What do you desire?"

"Many things," Ambra replied. "Some are best kept private, as I am sure you know. However, right now, I want to know that I can trust you to obey me."

I don't like this one bit, thought Gral'hilanth. But if it leads me to Karthen, I will do what I must.

"You can trust me," said Gral'hilanth.

"Then obey me. Clean up the spilled drink."

"What?"

Ambra took the cloth from the slave and held it out to Gral'hilanth. "Clean up the spill."

The aloyd stared at the cloth.

"Would you rather lick it up?" asked the councillor.

Gral'hilanth snatched the cloth and wiped the table. "Happy now?" the aloyd asked after she had finished the task.

Ambra smiled. "As long as you obey." She turned to the slave. "Sarray, slap the aloyd's face."

Gral'hilanth rounded on the slave as its hand connected with her cheek.

"Stop!"

Gral'hilanth stopped, her fist raised. The slave stood still; head bowed.

"Good. You obeyed," said Ambra. "You do not touch my slave unless I order you. Sarray, remove the aloyd's jacket and touch her breast."

Gral'hilanth seethed inside as the slave obeyed.

Ambra stepped up and placed one hand on Gral'hilanth's other breast. She placed her other hand on Sarray's breast. "To me, you're the same as Sarray. You're someone who has to follow my orders or be punished. You might be asking yourself, why you should. Well, it is simple. If you do not, I will destroy you. Destroy your family." Ambra laughed. "How would it look when the person who exposed Karthen's depravity, spent years among the Quernal doing the very same?"

"I could expose your depravity."

"Ah, but unlike Karthen, I would be here to deny it. There are no witnesses. It would be your word against mine. If I decry you as a liar, then your word against Karthen would be called into question. Perhaps the Council will come to the conclusion you lied about that too. You've disgraced your family once before; would you risk doing it a second time?"

I will kill you, Gral'hilanth thought. "No."

"From now on, will you obey me, do whatever I ask?"

"Yes."

"Good." Ambra removed her hand, turned, and walked towards the door to the bathroom. "Sarray, remove the rest of the aloyd's clothes." Ambra entered the bathroom.

Silently fuming, Gral'hilanth stood there naked for several minutes, before Ambra returned.

"Sarray, clear the table." Ambra ignored Gral'hilanth, sat at a side desk, and started reading.

Gral'hilanth wanted to say something, but bit her tongue in mute impotence and suffered her humiliation.

~~~~

Tehvay came home from the PPG rally eager to share what had happened with Kikola. She was disappointed to find the house empty. It was too late to call her parents, but Tehvay was so excited about it all, she just had to share it with someone right now or burst. She knew there was only one person who would appreciate what it had taken to stand up at a gathering of hundreds of people and tell her story.

She activated the communications panel on the house's central controls and made a call. Soon the holographic image of a familiar face was projected over the desk.

Boran questioned her. "Tehvay, is something wrong? Where's Kikola? Did something happen?"

"No, nothing's wrong. I just missed you, that's all. Something wonderful—"

"Are you calling from a secure console?" Boran interrupted.

"—has… what? I don't know, why?" Tehvay noted that Boran's face was tense and his brow furrowed. "Did I call at a bad time?"

"No, it's just—"

Tehvay was disheartened that her old friend was not happy to see her. "I thought you would be glad to hear from me."

"I am – very glad," Boran rushed to say. "Does Kikola know you are calling me?"

"No."

The conversation was not going the way Tehvay had hoped it would, considering she and Boran hadn't seen each other in more than three months. "What's going on?" she asked. "I thought you would be happy to hear from me. Now I'm getting the feeling that this was a big mistake."

"I am glad, very glad to see you. But you are taking an awfully big chance contacting me. I thought you knew that it had to be a clean break." Boran image flickered slightly. "Look, we can't stay on the line much longer. My communications are most likely being monitored."

"I thought you had the best encryption system money can buy."

"I did, I do, but the Hegemony has better monitoring systems." A pained expression crossed his face. "It's not safe for you to communicate with me."

"Why?"

Just then Kikola came through the front door and found Tehvay in the front room talking to Boran's image.

"What is going on?" Kikola asked in a concerned tone.

"Oh, you're home," Tehvay said. Given Boran's reaction and the look on Kikola's face, Tehvay was realising this may not have been the best thing to do.

"Boran, why did you contact us? How did you find us?" Kikola asked sternly.

"He didn't call us. I called him," confessed Tehvay.

"Why would you do that? You knew that after we left Shibato, we couldn't tell anyone where we were, especially not Boran. That way if the authorities ever came looking for us, he could honestly say he had no knowledge of our whereabouts."

Tehvay felt horrible. "I just wanted to tell Boran about our lives in Dansek. Finding my parents, about us, about what happened tonight at the PPG rally." She had been switching her attention between the holographic image of her friend and Kikola. She settled her gaze on the image. It started to blur from the tears in her eyes. "I'm sorry. I miss you so much, Boran."

"I miss you too, Tehvay." He offered a sympathetic smile. "What was that about finding your parents?"

Kikola intervened. "Tehvay, the less Boran knows about our new lives, the better for him and for us."

"It may already be too late for that," Boran's image said.

"Why? What has happened?" asked Kikola warily. She came and sat next to Tehvay so that the sensor would pick up her image to transmit to Boran.

Tehvay relaxed as she felt Kikola's hand slip into hers.

"Hila…" Boran shook his head and looked off to the side.

"What about Hila?" Tehvay asked Boran.

Boran focussed forward and explained. "Hila came to see me about a week ago, only she wasn't Hila anymore. She now goes by the name Gral'hilanth… Gral'hilanth ap—"

"Falentha," Kikola concluded.

"And who is Grayhill-- Graylianth?" Tehvay directed the question to Kikola who had turned a shade paler at the mention of that name.

"Gral'hilanth," Kikola repeated the name slowly. "A ghost."

"A what?"

"Never mind."

"Oh, I assure you, she is very much alive," Boran replied. "And she came to me looking for you."

"I see," said Kikola sombrely.

"What does she want with you?" asked Boran.

"No doubt to finish the job," Kikola replied.

Boran frowned. "What do you mean 'finish the job'? You mean when she attacked you?"

 Kikola nodded. "When I was twelve, I was at the Academy with my Uncle Toman. I found out that a cadet had cheated on her first-year final assignment. I informed my uncle and the cadet was expelled."

"So…"

"The cadet was Gral'hilanth ap Falentha," Kikola explained to Tehvay. "She left in disgrace and was never heard from again. She must have changed her appearance – her hair, her eyes – and started a new life as 'Hila'." Kikola asked Boran, "What did you tell her?"

"Nothing," Boran replied. "I didn't know where you had gone…until now that is." There was an uncomfortable silence. "And to think I considered her a friend," Boran muttered. "I guess she still is, of a sort. She warned me, you know, to get out while I could."

Seeing Kikola's jaw tense and her shoulders slump gave Tehvay a nauseous feeling in the pit of her stomach. "I've just given our location away, haven't I? I've just put all our lives in danger. My parents and sister, you, me, Boran – we're all in danger because this Gral'hilanth is looking for us, and I just told her where we are!"

~~~~

Mariantha found the heat on Yun'thul oppressive and cloying, not the dry heat to which she was accustomed from living in a desert environment on Kalenth. Governor Ultessi ap Taliss had been reluctant to let Mariantha see her niece, but the judge could be quite persuasive.

"Wait here," said the governor and went to fetch Jenissa.

Mariantha was left in a large room decorated in pastel orange, yellow, and red. Large portraits filled the walls. The floor was covered with patterned rugs. The furniture was made from dark wood with intricately detailed padding, using more gold thread than decency demanded. Silver and gold doilies were draped over the furniture and tables. Porcelain figurines and vases cluttered the tables. Hanging over the centre of the room was a large crystal chandelier. The room was a perfect microcosm for the governor's house and every other Taliss house Mariantha had ever seen.

Tastelessly contemporary, Mariantha thought. She longed for the minimalist décor of her own home.

An open window let in the overly sweet-scented air from the gardens. She could hear a fountain bubbling somewhere in the distance and longed for a cool drink.

The governor soon reappeared with a slave bearing a tray with a jug of chilled namida juice and a glass.

"Would you like some refreshment?" asked Ultessi.

"That is kind of you to offer," Mariantha said to the governor.

The slave poured some pale blue-green juice into a glass and brought the glass over to the judge.

"Where is Jenissa?" asked Mariantha, taking the glass from the slave.

"She will be here shortly."

Mariantha took a sip of the sweet juice and waited. Jenissa soon entered the room. She was dressed in a peach coloured dress, low cut and sleeveless. It was ruffled and pleated and trimmed with gold cotton. It was in stark contrast to the straight, simple lines of the dark green jacket and skirt Mariantha wore, though she had to admit the style suited Jenissa. A slave followed the young woman. It occurred to Mariantha that she was the only one without a slave. She had slaves to see to her personal needs, but never brought one with her on business. This visit straddled the border between personal and formal, but she had decided to leave her slave on the ship.

"I told you not to contact me," said Jenissa.

"Yes, you did. I do not take kindly to being told what to do in such a manner."

"If you've come—"

"Jenissa!" Ultessi cut her niece off. "There is no need for such rudeness."

The use of a contraction with the pronoun 'you' was only used when speaking to someone of lower caste or status, such as a child. Jenissa's use was not just discourteous, but considering the status of the Karthen name and Mariantha's own seniority over her, it was downright offensive. 

"I am sorry, Aunt Ultessi."

"I am not the one you insulted."

The young woman composed herself after the rebuke and addressed Mariantha again. "Please accept my humble apologies. I am mortified to have treated you so disrespectfully. I can only imagine how you must feel to be on the receiving end of such vulgarity."

"I accept your apology."

"Thank you. You are most kind. However, if you have come all this way to discuss events on Alopan, then your journey has been wasted. Good day." With that, Jenissa turned on her heels and started to walk away.

"Governor, impress upon your niece the importance of my visit," the judge requested.

"Jenissa, stay!"

The young woman obeyed her aunt.

"You will speak with Mariantha. This is a matter of family pride. Need I remind you of the great privilege and honour you have of bearing the name Taliss? Recent events have cast our family, and that of the Karthen family, in poor light. If we are to elevate our prestige, the two families must work together, cordially at the very least."

As the young woman turned and walked back to the centre of the room, Mariantha could see Jenissa was not pleased at being schooled in family etiquette. "I will leave you two alone," the governor said to Mariantha. She left the room with her slave in tow.

Mariantha observed Jenissa's own slave hovering a pace behind her mistress.

"You may have your say," said Jenissa. She turned and gave her slave a pointed look. The slave muttered an apology and moved to stand against a wall.

Mariantha took a seat on a nearby settee and motioned for Jenissa to join her, which the young woman reluctantly did.

"As you know, I am a judge. The truth is central to my role and my own values. I raised my daughter with that belief. As a child, whenever she lied to me, I could see it. I would tell her, 'Elit do not lie'. It was a mantra she learnt and obeyed. It would appear to be a lesson that you did not learn or were not taught."

"Are you calling me a liar?"

"Yes," said Mariantha. "I mean that not to insult you, but only as a statement of the truth. You have made two statements. One or both are lies."

Jenissa glanced away for a moment. "If you are referring to the matter of the slave Tehvay, yes, I did lie in saying that I had it put down. My statement for the Council, after they had learnt your daughter had fled with the slave, is true. I was threatened to keep the truth hidden."

Mariantha knew that was a lie when Jenissa didn't make eye contact. "Kikola had fled Alopan, therefore, she could not harm you. Why then did you lie? What circumstances changed that you felt it safe enough to ignore her threat for the second statement you made?"

Jenissa turned her body away from Mariantha. "I do not wish to discuss it. If that is all you have to say, then I bid you goodbye."

Mariantha was an experienced judge. She could read subtle hints in tone of voice and body language that could mean someone was lying or trying to avoid saying something. She noticed a brief flicker in Jenissa's eyes as the young woman glanced towards her slave. There was a slight dip of the head, as if she was physically avoiding the questions. Something is not right.

"No, that is not all I have to say. I said, Kikola learnt not to lie, but there were times when she got older that she refrained from saying anything rather than tell an untruth. I could see when she avoided having to lie. Most times I could even tell what she was not saying. Sometimes I could get her to reveal what she was omitting. The last time I did that, she confessed to being in love with a woman."

Shock, fear, and confusion were evident in Jenissa's expression. Once again, there was the look towards her slave. This time the look was not as fleeting. Mariantha studied the slave. Its expression was harder to read, but there was…

Ah! The truth hit Mariantha.

"You knew why Kikola fled with the slave," said Mariantha. "You knew and you allowed it."

"I did not," Jenissa protested and stood up. "I was threatened."

Mariantha stood as well and confronted the young woman. "Lie! I can read you as easily as my own daughter!" Mariantha accused sternly.

"I—I am not a liar!"

Mariantha could see Jenissa was scared that her feelings for her slave had become known. "Your secret is safe with me," said Mariantha softly.

"What secret? I have no secret!"

"My dear, it is as plain as the crimson blush on your cheeks. You love your slave."

"I do not love my slave! What sort of… depraved animal do you think I am?"

"Ma'am!" the slave's voice showed its pain at Jenissa's denial.

Jenissa looked again at her slave. This time it was clear. "I— I am sorry, Menari. I do…" Jenissa collapsed back down on the settee in tears.

The slave was torn between its duty to remain where it was and the need to rush forward and comfort its owner—its lover.

Mariantha gestured to the slave that it should heed its heart and approach Jenissa. Mariantha turned her back to give them privacy. She listened as the sobs subsided and the two whispered to each other. When the two fell silent, Mariantha turned again to face them. The slave quickly took two steps away from Jenissa.

"Is it that obvious?" asked Jenissa. "I thought we were discreet."

"Only to one versed in the subtle language of human duality," Mariantha replied as she sat next to Jenissa once again. "Does anyone in your family know?"

"No! At least no one has said anything."

"Then I hope it remains that way."

"Indeed!" said a new voice.

Mariantha wheeled around to see who had spoken. Standing in the doorway was Councillor Ambra ap Lentol.

Chapter 5

Author's Page

Back to the Academy