CHAPTER 14

 

The Kalenth sun shone down from crystal clear skies and warmed Tehvay's back. A requiem of birdsong filled the air from trees dotting the well-manicured lawns in the tranquil gated park. Somehow it seemed wrong to Tehvay that there should be such beauty on a sombre day like this.

Tehvay stood among a small group gathered around a place where the soil had been disturbed. She wore a red and green dress, the traditional colours on Kalenth for the mournful occasion. The red symbolising the blood of life and the green symbolising the ground to which the body is returned. Kikola and Garin Eadmon wore their dress uniforms with a red and green armband. Tremothen and Marleen Scows were in attendance as well. Having just arrived on the Fearless that morning, Tremothen and Marleen hastily found something red and green to wear and joined the group. The mound of earth between them was bare except for a modest grave marker.

 

Kamina Dortmer

and

Hila Llyte

Together Again

 

"It was a good idea of yours," said Kikola to Tehvay. "The records will show Gral'hilanth died in battle and given a funeral in space. Hila is here with Kamina." She gave Tehvay's elbow a gentle squeeze. "I am sure it is what both would have wanted."

"I hope so," Tehvay replied.

"I didn't know Gral'hilanth," Marleen offered, "but Hila was a friend. I'll miss her. Unfortunately, I didn't get to know Kamina as much as I would have liked. She was a bright light in the darkness of Hila's soul."

Tremothen nodded his agreement. "Hila was someone who could charm the birds from the sky with a smile. She could also take you for a sizeable chunk of credits in a game of Breeseb with the same smile. I even played a few games with Kamina. She'd take the credits, but she'd apologise."

The group reacted with a chuckle.

"I liked Kamina," said Kikola. "She was an honest person. By that I mean she knew who she was. There was no artifice about her. Gral'hilanth was… complicated. I didn't hate her; I hated what she did. In the end, she went a long way to redeeming herself." Kikola took Tehvay's hand.

"I never knew Kamina, and I didn't know the person you knew as Hila," Commodore Eadmon said. "I knew only Aloyd Gral'hilanth ap Falentha, as my superior officer and to a certain extent as a friend. I think she would have appreciated being remembered in this way."

"I didn't know Hila as well as you and Boran, but she was always amiable to me," Tehvay said, looking across to Tremothen and Marleen. "The first time I met Kamina, she was so pleased to see me, she gave me a hug." Tehvay didn't know what else to say.

Tehvay released Kikola's hand, knelt down, and placed a small bouquet of flowers by Kamina's name. Eadmon followed suit and placed flowers by Hila's name. When she stood, the commodore saluted.

Marleen started playing a lilting melody on a small stringed instrument while Tremothen's rich tenor voice crooned an ancient Kalenth funeral song. Tehvay didn't understand the words, but the combined melodies stirred something deep within her.

As Marleen stopped playing and Tremothen's voice faded, a light breeze rustled the leaves of the trees, making it sound like distant applause.

"That was beautiful. What do the lyrics mean?" asked Tehvay.

"It's a lament at the loss of someone, but it's also a song of hope," said Marleen. "You still have the memory of them. That life goes on, and it's okay to live, love, and laugh again."

Tehvay nodded her head thoughtfully. A bird swooped low over the grave, its tiny wings making a thrumming noise. Tehvay followed its progress as it climbed up and disappeared among the branches of a nearby tree. She turned to Kikola and said, "I can't help thinking of Yuniph. We don't know what happened to her remains after…." Her voice trailed off. "Yuniph deserves to be buried in a place like this."

"There will be records of what was done with her remains. I will have someone look into it," Kikola replied.

Tears blurred her vision and she rubbed her eyes. "I shouldn't care what happens to the body of my sister's killer."

"You see Gral'hilanth as an enemy, a cold-blooded killer," said Commodore Eadmon, "but I saw a different side of her. Yes, she was flawed, ruthless, and vengeful, but she was also complex, vulnerable, and exploited. And I am here to pay tribute to that woman – the woman who despite the mistakes of her past, did the right thing and helped bring down a tyrant, sacrificing her own life to save another—" Eadmon looked directly at Tehvay. "—to save you. So, remember her as you will, but bury your hatred for Gral'hilanth. In doing so, you will honour Hila's memory and that of your sister Yuniph."

Tehvay regarded the officer. "You are right. My hatred for Gral'hilanth is buried, and I have forgiven her. But I can't forget the pain she caused me and those I love."

Eadmon nodded her understanding, turned, and started walking away. Tremothen and Marleen followed the commodore.

"Come on," said Kikola, as she placed a hand on the small of Tehvay's back. "It is time to go."

Tehvay took Kikola's hand again, and they headed back to the vehicle waiting for them at the entrance. About halfway to the gates, Tehvay felt an instinct to turn and look back. A dark uniformed figure stood near the grave – Aloyd Oalanic ap Falentha.  They watched as he knelt down and touched the stone marker, then stood to attention and saluted.

"He came," said Tehvay.

"I know," said Kikola. "I noticed him standing behind those trees." She gestured to a group of three conifers about fifteen metres from where they had been standing.

"Should we go speak to him?" Tehvay asked.

"No," replied Kikola. "He made it clear he did not want to have her burial acknowledged."

"How sad," Tehvay observed, "that a father has to mourn his daughter's death alone in the shadows, because he has buried the truth with her."   

~~~~

After moving into the cottage on the grounds of the Karthen's Ralkatar estate, Rikana went shopping for some new clothes – on Kikola's account, of course. As she tried on the new garments, Rikana could see she needed to customise them. She slipped out of the red and blue horizontal striped dress she was wearing, and cut it into three parts. She discarded the middle to give herself a cropped top and skirt. She put the newly formed two-piece on. There, that's more like it, she thought as she admired her handiwork in the mirror.

Her comm beeped. Kikola's image appeared when she answered it.

"Can you come to my office in The Civic, right away?" asked Kikola.

"An emergency?"

"No. I just… I have sent a shuttle to pick you up."

As Kikola spoke those words Rikana heard a shuttle fly overhead as it came into land at the shuttle pad on the estate.

"Shuttle's here," said Rikana. "I'll see you soon."

"Thank you. See you soon." Kikola's image faded.

Rikana looked down at her new outfit. She said right away. She shrugged and headed for the shuttle.

She, and the dress, got odd looks from the people who passed her, as she strode through The Civic. Rikana didn't care. It was a lovely sunny day, the war was over, and she felt strangely comfortable in the very heart of the Hegemony.

She paused outside the tall tower and chuckled. Still looks like a lexakuk. She entered the tower and took the lift to the top floor. The lift doors opened and she walked down the corridor, and into the Office of the Cyfredol as if she owned it.

She wandered over and sat on the corner of Uriel Wurth's desk. He looked up and smiled at her. "What's that new thingy on your collar?" She pointed to the silver X with three over bars set in a blue rectangle background, like the one Garin Eadmon wore.

"I have just been promoted to Commodore," he said proudly.

Rikana crossed her legs and reached for the rank insignia, taking it between her thumb and index finger. She pulled it towards her, causing Uriel to come forward towards her as well. "We'll celebrate later," she whispered in his ear suggestively before releasing him.

She hopped off the desk and smiled. "Her Rivness wants to speak to me. Hey! Maybe I'll get a promotion. Aloyd Rikana Lardis. What do you think?"

"You would hate it," said Uriel. "All that protocol you would have to ignore." He gave her a wink.

Rikana cackled and walked up the spiral ramp to the very top of the tower: a glass walled office that could survey the entire campus of The Civic. Even Rikana was impressed.

Kikola was sitting behind her desk frowning at a monitor. This place suits her, thought Rikana. An awful lot more so than pounding the streets of Dansek with me.

Rikana sauntered over, pulled up a chair, and sat down. She swung her legs and propped her feet up on Kikola's desk. She took a sip from the bottle of namida juice she had brought with her. "What's up, Kiks?" she asked around the neck of the bottle.

Kikola glanced up and a hint of a smile crossed her face. "You know, major galactic superpower to run, the usual."

Rikana cackled. "What do I call you now? Are you still the Riv? Or do I have to use that other stupid title?"

"Does it matter to you?"

"Nope." Rikana took another swig of her juice. "It's a lovely day. You shouldn't be stuck in here. You and Miss V. should be out doing that sexy thing you do with each other."

"Maybe later."

"Speaking of having fun. Now that you've won, and I helped you, I think I deserve a little reward." Rikana pulled her feet off the desk and leaned forward. "Can I have a planet?"

Kikola burst out laughing.

"I'm serious," Rikana replied. "Wurth got a promotion. I want a planet. A nice one. With a sea view. And can you throw in some hunky men to oil me up?" Rikana couldn't keep a straight face and descended into cackling giggles.

"I need you—" Kikola looked beyond Rikana and smiled.

Rikana glanced in the direction she was looking and saw Tehvay. "Hey, Miss V. Kiks was just saying she needs me."

"We both do," said Tehvay, taking a seat next to Rikana.

"I know I'm great and all, but you don't need me for that."

"Seriously," said Kikola. "We need security. Personal security."

"I thought I was already doing that."

"This will be official." Kikola raised a hopeful smile. "You will get paid. I will even give you an official title. And you will get to kick Hegger arse."

"Well, if you put it that way." Rikana paused. "But basically, you want me to risk my life to protect you. I like you, but I didn't sign up for that." She looked down at the bottle in her hand.

"Just because the war is over doesn't mean there won't be people who wish us harm. You can hire your own staff. People you trust."

"Can't you get some Heggers to do it? You've got a huge military to choose from."

"There is no one we trust more," said Tehvay.

Rikana took a while before replying. "You don't plan on being in charge for ever, do you?"

"No," said Kikola.

"Do I get my planet when you're done?"

"A planet?" asked a puzzled Tehvay.

"Yeah, I was trying to persuade Kiks to give me a planet for what I've done so far."

"I will see what I can do," said Kikola.

"A nice one."

"With a sea view and hunky men to oil you up," Kikola echoed Rikana's request. "I have made a note."

Rikana cackled. "When do I start?"

"You already have," said Kikola. "There's a…"

"A what?"

"This is an official posting, not the casual arrangement we had before."

"What Kikola is trying to say," Tehvay interjected. "Is that you…" She trailed off and looked at Kikola.

"What? Me what? Spit it out."

Kikola sighed. "This shouldn't be that difficult," she muttered. "Your immediate reaction will be to say 'no', and then tell me to do something anatomically impossible. Skip that bit and go straight to the thinking about it."

"I still have no idea what you're talking about," said Rikana. Though she had an inkling it was something she wasn't going to like.

"Your dress," said Kikola.

"Which is lovely, by the way," said Tehvay.

"What about it?" Rikana asked warily.

"As the official head of security for us, you will need to dress appropriately," said Kikola.

"By appropriately, do you mean a uniform?"

"Yes. No. Sort of uniform… ish."

"I think Kikola means, less fashionable and more practical."

"Formal," said Kikola.

"Practical? Formal?" Rikana glowered at them. Let's play with them. "Do I get to choose what it is?"

"Yes, certainly," Kikola hurriedly agreed.

"Okay, then," she said brightly. "I saw this lovely bright, salmon pink jacket and dark blue trousers. Didn't buy them, they were a bit expensive, but if you're paying!"

"Well, 'choose' is not the right word, 'accept' would be more correct." Kikola pushed a piece of electronic paper across the desk. "It's made of armoured fabric, not quite as heavy as my uniform, but state of the art. Military uniforms are going to be upgraded to use the same material."

Rikana studied the picture of a one-piece jumpsuit with utility pockets. It was black and dark-grey with armoured sections on the arm, chest and back. "It looks a bit heavy, stifling."

"It has thermal control." Kikola reached under her desk and produced a large bag. "Try it on and see."

Rikana took the bag and peered inside. She pulled out the jumpsuit and held it against herself.

"You can change in the toilet," said Kikola.

"Not a prude, are you? Besides it's nothing you haven't seen before." Rikana removed her IPB, slipped out of her top and skirt, and kicked off her boots. She noticed an emblem on the shoulder armour – a dryg in a circle with words around it. "What's this?" She held the garment out towards Kikola, pointing at the shoulder.

"That's the Kalenth Hegemony seal," replied Kikola. "You will be employed by me and that will make you a government security operative. The seal identifies you as such."

Rikana looked again at the seal. It was black and grey, so it didn't stand out too much. "I don't have to believe in this nonsense, just wear it, right?"

"Yes, exactly. Other government employees have to swear an oath, but since you are not a Kalenth Hegemony citizen, we can waive that."

Rikana put the new uniform on. She adjusted the shoulder straps and the belt at the waist. The military uniform she had worn was comfortable, but heavy and a little bit restrictive. This uniform was light and flexible, and felt soft, totally unlike anything she expected. She fixed her IPB to her hip. "Mirror?" she snapped.

"In the toilet."

When the door closed behind her a wide grin spread across Rikana's face. She checked herself in the mirror. Looks great. She blew herself a kiss. She tried a few stretches and twists. She paused before leaving and fixed a scowl to her face. She stepped out.

"Well?" Tehvay asked expectantly.

"It'll do," she grumbled.

~~~~

The lift seemed stuffy and claustrophobic. Garin's hand instinctively went to the thermal regulator on her Pup. Then she realised the spacious, air-conditioned, glass-walled lift was not the problem. Breathe, she counselled herself. You are going to see the Rivelor, not the Bren. She had seen the Rivelor at Gral'hilanth's funeral the day before. There was no hint that this impending meeting was going to be detrimental to her, but it was always prudent to consider the worst outcome.

"Are you okay?"

Garin turned to look at her sister, Breena. "Yes, fine."

"You just gave a couple of deep breaths then, and you look a little flushed," said Breena.

"I think it's the eggs I had for breakfast." Garin knew it was more uneasiness than eggs, but she didn't want to explain it to her sister.

Breena changed the subject. "Do you think we're going to get new assignments? Perhaps the same ship!"

Garin was less certain of what her fate might be; she had, after all, been on the opposing side at one point. Not by choice, she thought.

When the doors opened, they stepped out, but Garin held Breena's arm to have her wait.

"How do I look?" asked Garin.

"Ship shape," her sister replied. "Me?"

"Just…" She reached out and tucked an errant strand of Breena's hair back into place. "Good luck."

"We don't need luck." Her sister gave her an encouraging smile.

They walked along the corridor and into the outer office of the Cyfredol. Captain Wurth stood up from his desk and approached them as the Eadmon sisters entered the antechamber on the lower level.

"Commodore." He greeted her and saluted.

"Captain." She returned his salute.

"Actually, it is Commodore now," said Wurth. He pointed at his collar, and gave a sheepish, but proud grin.

"Congratulations on your promotion," Garin replied.

"Yes, congratulations." Breena offered a salute to Wurth.

Wurth acknowledged Breena by returning her salute. "Thank you, Commodore, Commander. Rivelor Karthen is expecting you."

Wurth led them up to the private office now occupied by Rivelor Karthen, the Cyfredol. Just as they reached the top of the ramp, Garin could see that the door was already open, and the Rivelor was standing in the centre of the expansive room, flanked by Aloyd Willenth.

Commodore Wurth announced the Eadmon siblings, and following another round of salutes, the Rivelor spoke. "Commander Breena Eadmon." Karthen's voice was devoid of any emotion. "I am pleased to promote you to the rank of Captain." She handed over a small box to Breena.

Garin watched her sister excitedly open the box and show her the contents with a large grin. The silver 'X' with three over bars gleamed brightly against the blackness of the box. "Put it on me." She paused and looked at the Rivelor. "Unless you were going—"

"Carry on," Karthen interrupted. She gave a little wave and smiled.

Breena removed her commander's insignia, and Garin stepped up and fixed the new insignia in its place. "Congratulations, Captain," she said with sisterly pride.

"Yes, congratulations, Captain," said Karthen. "You have a choice of taking command of a ship or becoming the adjutant to the new commandant of the Kalenth Hegemony Military Academy."

"Who is the new commandant?"

"That will be me," said Aloyd Willenth.

"Thank you, Rivelor. The academy post will be fine."

Garin saw the knowing looks exchanged between the aloyd and her sister. We need a talk afterwards, she thought.

"Commodore Garin Eadmon."

Garin came to attention. "Yes, Rivelor."

Karthen held out a small box. "I am promoting you to Aloyd, Third-Class. You will be given overall command of my flagship, the Fearless."

Garin was confused and said so. "Me, sir? I am not Elit."

"From today, those who merit promotion will receive a promotion, and advancement to aloyd will no longer be determined by Elit status alone."

"The first non-Elit to be promoted to Aloyd is a singular honour," Aloyd Willenth observed.

"Yes, sir, but why me? Surely there are more deserving candidates—"

"No one is more deserving than you!" Breena interjected.

Garin shot her sister a stern look.

The Rivelor agreed. "Your sister is right. Only Gral'hilanth could deliver Ambra ap Lentol to us without risking many lives, and only you could deliver Gral'hilanth ap Falentha. Your valour and your conviction earned you this promotion."

Garin wasn't sure what she expected when she was summoned to the Cyfredol's office, but it certainly wasn't a promotion to Aloyd. She was relieved that she wasn't being discharged; however, being offered command of the Rivelor's flagship seemed almost too good to be true. "Are you certain you want me to command your flagship? As you might recall, I questioned your commands on our mission to Gatlor."

"Yes, I do remember," replied Rivelor Karthen thoughtfully. "I have come to understand that I am a better leader if I surround myself with subordinates who challenge me – respectfully – rather than those who blindly follows orders."

"You have put some thought into it, I see."

Karthen offered a slight smile. "I had some help."

"I guess we all need help at some point," Garin replied. She had spent her military career trying to reach the top. Every promotion had been earned the hard way. After reaching the rank of captain, there was only the rank of commodore left. Perhaps the biggest step of all. She worked hard, but when the promotion came less than a month ago, she had felt empty. It wasn't the fact that there was nowhere else to go from there, but the fact that she felt it unwarranted. Now there was this unprecedented promotion to aloyd for what some would consider an act of betrayal. This is not the help I need. "I am honoured by your offer," she said, "but I feel I do not deserve it."

"We get what we get; it is not always what we deserve." Rivelor Karthen looked Garin in the eye. "You deserve this."

When Garin had walked into the room, she thought she was seeing the same woman she had served under before the civil war: the aloof Elit Aloyd Karthen, inscrutable and emotionless. Now, Kikola ap Karthen seemed more like a real person to Garin – someone she could respect, serve, and even admire.

Garin took the box being proffered by the Rivelor. "Very well, I accept."

"Captain Eadmon, would you do the honours," said Karthen.

Breena was beaming with delight as she pinned the insignia to Garin's collar. Only then did she begin to accept it.

~~~~

Mariantha was flown down from the Fearless to The Civic by Commodore Wurth. It was the first time she had been there since Ambra ap Lentol had taken control of the Council. More importantly it was the first time since her daughter had been named Cyfredol, the new leader of The Kalenth Hegemony.

Commodore Wurth ushered Mariantha to a building that now dominated the centre of The Civic. It had not been built when she had fled Kalenth. This garish tower ruins the symmetry of the place, Mariantha thought, as she entered the building that only a few days ago was a monument to the Bren's hubris; now it was the Administrative Offices of the Cyfredol.

"It is good to see you!" Kikola came from around the desk and gave Mariantha a hug, something that Mariantha was still not quite used to from her daughter, but she welcomed it.

Kikola drew back from embracing her mother. "You look stunning. What is the occasion?"

Mariantha was wearing a formal purple jacket adorned with gold leaf patterns, an outfit she saved only for special occasions. Her hair was up, wrapped in a thin gold band, and she wore eyeglasses, because they were the appropriate fashion for the outfit.

What can I say? That I am afraid of the changes coming. That dressing like this is my way of hanging onto the old traditions, the old way, the old Hegemony, Mariantha thought. Unable to lie, she constructed a second truth. "The occasion is being reunited with my daughter, the newly installed Cyfredol." Mariantha allowed a moment of motherly pride. Kikola's destiny was meant to happen much later, and Mariantha had thought she might not be alive to see it.

"Well, you look wonderful and the glasses suit you," her daughter replied.

"My thanks," Mariantha replied. As she looked around Kikola's private office, Mariantha noticed the colourful furnishings and artwork were not in the minimalist-modern style that the Karthens favoured, especially Kikola, who from childhood preferred function over form.

"I see you have not had time to redecorate," she noted. "I can help you with that."

Kikola glanced around the room. "To be honest, I have been so busy," she replied, "I had not noticed the décor. I would welcome your help."

Her daughter guided her to a sitting area and offered her a seat on the couch. Mariantha removed some of the brightly coloured throw pillows from behind her back, making a mental note that they would be the first things to go. There was something else that seemed out of place. Mariantha scanned the room. "Where is Tehvay?"

"She is at the Ralkatar estate helping Tremothen and Marleen get settled in the West cottage. Rikana has moved into the East Cottage," Kikola replied, taking a seat in a nearby chair. "How about you Mother? There is plenty of room in the main house for you to move in with us."

"I…" Mariantha paused. She so wanted to be with her daughter, but she recognised that Kikola and Tehvay needed their space. "The Willenths have an estate not too far away, I have been invited there."

"Nonsense," Kikola started to object. "You—"

Mariantha held up a hand and silenced her daughter. "Once Rephon returns, we will decide where to live while we rebuild the family's main estate. Have you seen the damage yet?"

"No," said Kikola. "It was hit by an orbital strike. The destruction is most likely complete."

"I know," Mariantha replied sadly. "I just wondered… I would like to go and see it."

"Is that wise?" her daughter asked.

"I want to see it for myself." Mariantha sat down. "I feel I owe it to Toman."

Kikola nodded. "Then I will take you there myself tomorrow – just the two of us."

Mariantha smiled. "I would like that, but I don't want to take you away from your important work."

"I will only be gone for a few hours."

"What about Tehvay?"

"She and Rikana will be gone all day overseeing the repatriation of the last of Ambra's child hostages."

Mariantha couldn't hold back her ire. "That monstrous woman – taking children away from their families. What are your plans for her? Something slow and painful I hope."

"To be honest, I have not given the matter much thought past arresting and detaining her," Kikola said.

The judge in Mariantha came out. "She is guilty of Treason against The Kalenth Hegemony, illegal detention of Elit children, and the murder of Council Chairman Guljein ap Maldan, not to mention other crimes against Elit. Kalenth Judicial Statutes call for summary execution in her case."

"Yes, I am aware." Kikola stood and paced back and forth before coming to a halt behind her chair. "Mother, I need you to head the Ministry of Justice."

Mariantha was taken aback by the lack of preamble. "I… No."

"No? You don't want it?"

"I would like it, but I am not the right person."

"You are the right person. You are more than qualified."

"I am your mother," Mariantha replied. "You have taken control of the Hegemony with the promise of a better way of doing things. Yet, you hand out positions of importance to those who supported you. And now you give your mother an important role too. Can you not see how it might look to those you defeated?"

"I need to trust those to whom I give power."

"No. You need to know they can do the job. There is a difference." Mariantha reached out and took her daughter's hand. "Set a precedent. Appoint based on ability, not just loyalty. If you build a cabinet only of relatives and supporters, then others will feel disenfranchised. That will breed dissent, and we will be back to civil war."

"I see your point."

"I am not saying you shouldn't reward those who supported you, and that some of them aren't deserving of positions of power, but don't limit yourself to them." Mariantha leaned back against the sofa in a more relaxed position. "Now, if you want me to head up the Ministry of Justice for a short period, while a more permanent minister is found, then I will do so."

"Thank you, Mother." Kikola looked down. "I was going to offer Rephon the role of Business Minister. Perhaps I should reconsider."

"What about Lonnodren ap Onacon? He was a successful businessman."

"He worked for Lentol."

"Exactly. He was also a good businessman before Lentol deemed it a role unbefitting the Elit. You have promoted Eadmon to aloyd; she worked for Lentol."

"She proved her worth and loyalty. She earned the promotion," Kikola replied. "I trust her."

"What did I say about trust? Onacon is good at business."

Kikola sighed. "I was trained to lead the military, not the civilian government. Maybe I am not cut out to be Cyfredol."

Mariantha cupped Kikola's chin. "You my dear daughter are the right person for the job, because you are a born leader. Do not doubt yourself. You just need to trust your instincts and listen not only to those who you trust, but those who challenge you."

"Doubt leads to mistakes. I remember my lessons," said Kikola. "I am still learning."

Mariantha got up from the couch and walked halfway to the door. She stopped and turned to her daughter. "Who have you put in charge of the slave matter?"

"Tehvay. This is a cause near to her heart, and in this case, it is not nepotism. There is simply no one else better suited for the job. She and I spoke to the Director of the Slave Registration Board yesterday. He was a little uncooperative at the beginning, because what we are asking him to do is put himself out of work. Tehvay told him that if he didn't cooperate, we would replace him immediately."

"And he agreed?"

"Yes."

Mariantha smiled. "You have chosen a worthy companion. I should not have doubted you."

"Well, it might have been Rikana glaring at him from behind Tehvay that persuaded him."

Mariantha laughed.

"What's so funny?" asked Kikola.

"Would you believe me if I said I see a lot of my younger self in Miss Lardis?" Mariantha replied.

"No. I wouldn't believe you."

"I am not talking about her coarseness, profanity, and lack of respect for anything. I am talking about her determination, her strength, and her force of will. The traits I tried to instil in you."

Kikola nodded. "Yes, I can see that."

Mariantha lowered her head. "After your father died, all I wanted was to hold you and keep you safe. I had to step back to make you stronger. Your future role demanded it. I had to put a distance between us that was hard for me to keep. There were times I regretted it. Times I hated myself for doing it. Hated myself for the person I saw you becoming. It seems in the end it was for the best. You became the person you are today, how much of that was down to my parenting I cannot say. However, I still wish I could go back and you could be my little daughter Kiko forever."

"I will not be little, but I will always be your daughter."

~~~~

Kikola piloted the shuttle in a circle over the charred crater where the shuttle-pad once existed. She heard a sigh from the co-pilot's seat where her mother sat. Kikola continued on and was able to land on level ground outside the shattered compound that once used to be her home.

Her mother leaned forward and peered out of the cockpit window to try and get a closer look, but dust and sand kicked up by the shuttle's thrusters obscured the view. Once that cleared, the extent of the damage to the Karthen family estate became clear. What they saw was shocking.

"It's a mess," said Mariantha.

Kikola looked at the charred and cracked walls of one side of the house. All the windows were broken, but the structure seemed largely intact. "They missed," she observed.

"Missed?"

"A direct hit would have obliterated the house." Kikola pointed where the outside wall of the estate was flattened. "A near miss is bad enough though. The shock wave most likely damaged all internal supporting walls. It would be easier to knock it down and rebuild, rather than repair it."

Mariantha climbed from her seat and headed for the exit. Kikola followed her mother out. The morning sun was baking the desert sand, already bringing the ambient temperature outside to an uncomfortable level for Kikola. She forgot how unbearably hot it could get there. I must have acclimatised to the Dansek climate, she thought.

They walked around the debris towards a less damaged entrance. The immaculate green lawns that had surrounded the estate were scorched and covered in sand and masonry dust. Mother and daughter entered through what was one of the rounded towers on the southeast corner of the building. The damage inside was too extensive to risk going further.   

Until a year ago this had been Kikola's home. After joining the military, she had tried to come home as often as she could. It was where she felt she belonged. Now though, she felt nothing at seeing the shattered remains. It was just stones. My home is Tehvay.

"Do you want to rebuild?" she asked her mother.

Her mother took a deep breath. "Rephon is the head of the family. It is his decision."

"What do you want?" Kikola pressed.

"There are too many memories here," said Mariantha. "Some good, some bad. Maybe it's time to let them rest here and make new memories elsewhere – at one of our other estates, perhaps."

"Will you reconsider moving in with Tehvay and me?"

"You need your privacy."

Kikola blushed. "It's big enough that we will barely see each other."

Mariantha shook her head. "It would not be fair to Tehvay. We have found a comfortable peace between us, but living together would put a strain on that."

"It would not be much different to the tullcooth."

"We might have survived that, but in the long term, it is not an option. She doesn't need the thought that I could be behind any door she walks through."

"What about one of the cottages? Tremothen and Marleen are uncertain what their plans are after Boran returns. They may move back to Shibato."

"Boran is returning?"

"Yes." Kikola noticed her mother's eyes brighten at that news. Interesting, she thought.

"What about Tehvay's parents?" Mariantha asked.

"I think they are staying on Trengos."

Mariantha was silent for a few moments. "What are your long-term plans? You said you wouldn't be Cyfredol forever."

"Who knows?" Kikola replied. "Maybe when I have stepped down as Cyfredol, I can resume my role as the Rivelor."

"Tehvay may want to go back to her parents," said Mariantha.

Kikola nodded. "She might want to do that. We will discuss it when the time comes. Whatever the decision, Tehvay will stay with me, or I will go with Tehvay."

Kikola watched her mother turn and walk a few steps away. "You should stay. If Tehvay wants to be with her parents, then move them here."

"They may not want to return to the Hegemony."

"I can understand that, but it will be different for them this time." Mariantha turned to face Kikola. "It's going to be different for everyone."

"That scares you," Kikola observed. "We were so used to everything working one way, everyone having a role, that to think otherwise is almost impossible. One of the first things Tehvay ever said to me was that we, the Elit, were just as much slaves as she was. She was right. We Elit were slaves to our rules and traditions."

A small smile curled Mariantha's lips. "She was right about that as well. She's right about a lot of things." She closed the gap between them and took Kikola's hands. "On the Fearless I told her we couldn't be friends. I am too set in my ways, and I still saw the fugitive slave that was brought to me for sentencing. I also told her that I would do nothing to drive the two of you apart. I just wish…"

Kikola waited for her mother to finish the sentence, but it didn't happen. "Wish what? That I was normal? That I wasn't this abomination to society?" She pulled her hands away.

"No! I… I told you about my Aunt Balin. I knew she loved another woman, and I loved her as I did any other member of the family. But she couldn't be open about it. We couldn't acknowledge it. I just wish things were different. That the Elit didn't have these archaic morals, and then you wouldn't have had to hide your feelings for Tehvay. You wouldn't have had to run away. You could have stayed and maybe none of this would have happened." Mariantha lowered her head. "It sounds selfish, but I am going to miss the privilege and power of being an Elit. When I saw you living in that tiny hovel on Trengos, I was embarrassed and ashamed that you could live like that." Mariantha reached out and took Kikola's hand again. "I understand that to create the society where you can stay and openly live with, and love, Tehvay then the old one has to die. I want that for you, but I am not ready for it."

Kikola nodded. "Change takes time."

Mariantha gave a hollow chuckle. "Something else Tehvay was right about. She was also right about you."

~~~~

A chauffeured military vehicle drove Tehvay and Rikana to the seaside estate of the Maldan family. It was their third and final visit to the place where Ambra ap Lentol housed the Muhulant Bren, captive children of Elit families who had supported her. Most children had already been reunited with their family members; however, there were a handful of children still waiting to be picked up because their families lived outside the Kalenth system.

The task of overseeing the return of the children had been more onerous than Tehvay could have imagined. Tehvay was appalled when she had first heard of Lentol's policy of taking children from their families as hostages. Witnessing the reality first hand, however, was much worse: the children weren't just being held captive to prevent dissention; they were being indoctrinated.

Young minds are easy to manipulate, Tehvay thought sadly.

The younger children, ages four through eight, seemed to forget their ordeal quickly and readily went with their families. The older children, those from about age nine to twelve, didn't seem happy to be reunited with their families. They were old enough to have soaked up Ambra's propaganda and too young to realise that they were being taught to be tools in Ambra's scheme.

It was now late afternoon and they were waiting for the last child's parents to arrive. Tehvay paced nervously around the house and its grounds, much to the annoyance of Rikana, who followed her like a shadow. Having found her way to a veranda overlooking the sea, Tehvay stared out at the vast body of blue-green water. The dancing white tips of the waves were in constant motion, yet as a whole it seemed a solid, unmoving mass.

In her years as a slave, Tehvay had never had the opportunity to just stand and look at a sea. On Shibato, Boran's mountain compound had been far from an ocean. And on Trengos, while the sea was not so far away, Tehvay and Kikola just never got around to going.

From the corner of her eye, Tehvay saw the black sleeve of Rikana's new uniform. The younger woman placed her hands on top of the low wall and leaned forward. Tehvay heard her take a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"Do you smell that?" Rikana asked.

Tehvay took her own deep breath. "Yes, it's… nice. Is that the water?"

Rikana cackled. "In a sense. It's gas from marine bacteria. Or put another way, bacteria farts."

A noise behind her attracted Tehvay's attention. She turned and saw the last child, Suzuma Yocelin Ariana ap Barrinen, being chased by one of the attendants.

"You! You!" Suzuma called as she approached Tehvay.

"I am sorry," the attendant apologised. "Suzuma, come back."

Tehvay gestured for the attendant to back off. "It's okay."

Suzuma stood in front of Tehvay with a look of consternation on her face. The girl was eleven years old, with long black hair streaked with white. "This is your fault!"

"Wha—"

"You're a slave! You think you can go around acting like a real person, but you can't. Look at what you've done!"

"Hey, kid." Rikana stepped forward. "How would you like I throw you over the balcony?"

The girl laughed. "You wouldn't dare harm me. I am Muhulant Bren!"

That Elit self-belief seemed out of place in one so young, but Tehvay realised that it was drummed into them from birth. No wonder they were so susceptible to Ambra's brainwashing.

Suzuma dismissed any perceived threat from Rikana and immediately turned her attention back to Tehvay. "You're sending everyone away. I don't want to go. I want the Bren!"

"Why?" Tehvay asked. "She was the one that took you away from your family. She—"

"The Bren cared for me!" Suzuma stamped her foot. "She was training me to be an aloyd. Not a stupid musician like my parents wanted. How dare you take that away from me! How dare you take the Bren away from me!" Tears started flowing.

Tehvay stepped forward to comfort the child just as a man and woman came into view.

The man approached. Tehvay assumed it must be Suzuma's father, Faron ap Barrinen. "What are you doing to our daughter?" he called out. "I will have you arrested for making her cry."

Tehvay stood there dumbstruck, unable to move, as Barrinen took his daughter's arm and pulled her away. She also didn't react when he raised an arm. Rikana stepped in front of her.

Suzuma's father cried out in pain as he fell backwards.

"Please try it again," said Rikana, pointing to her weapon at him.

"You assaulted me. That's a death sentence for you," Barrinen declared as he climbed to his feet.

"Shall I call the Cyfredol's head of security to come and arrest me? Yeah, I'll do that. Hey, me, will you come and arrest me. What for? Oh, I hit some Elit feeta. Nah, that's okay, it's not a crime. Do it again."

As Rikana stepped forward, Barrinen scurried back. "You haven't heard the last of this," he said, and hurried towards where his wife was hanging onto a distraught Suzuma.

Tehvay's heart was pounding in her chest. She couldn't believe how quickly she had felt like a slave again. It had been the authoritative tone in Barrinen's voice: someone used to speaking down to people and being obeyed. I thought I was over it. She felt shame at not standing up for herself.

"Miss V.?" Tehvay blinked and saw Rikana looking at her with concern. "Are you okay?"

Tehvay felt like she was a long way from herself, looking down a long tunnel through her eyes. She felt the effort as she commanded her facial muscles to form a smile. She heard a distant voice. "I'm fine." It was her voice.

"You don't look it." Rikana reached out and took Tehvay's arm. "I'll call Kiks."

"No!" Everything snapped back to normal. "Please, I'm fine."

"You sure? You looked a little…"

"I was just surprised by his outburst." She looked around at the view over the sea. "Can you tell the attendants to shut this place and go home? I'll go back to the vehicle."

"Sure."

Tehvay watched Rikana head back inside. This is going to be harder than I thought.

~~~~

The Bramaleen district was a beautiful swathe of green in the heart of Ralkatar, with grand manses once belonging to Elit, now converted to luxury apartments for the upwardly mobile Fethusal in commerce and government. Kikola's personal shuttle circled overhead before descending to land on the rooftop of one of the apartment blocks.

"Is this wise?" asked Commodore Wurth.

Kikola glanced across to the pilot seat. "He's a loose end." She climbed from her seat. "I will handle it. All you have to do is stand there and glower."

Wurth chuckled as he climbed out of his seat after her. "Maybe you should have brought Rikana for that."

"I want him concerned, not terrified," Kikola replied with a wry smile.

The friendly banter ceased as soon as Wurth engaged the hatch. They descended down a short ramp and were met by a man and woman dressed similarly in non-descript black suits. Kikola sensed no threat from these two, so she allowed them to lead the way from the rooftop to a maglev lift that took them to their destination two floors down.

Their escorts showed them into an expensively furnished office and quickly stepped back against a wall when their employer, Jora Selzabega, entered the room. He was a tall and slender man, with a pale complexion and light-coloured hair. He wore an impeccable, though flamboyantly bright-green suit with a high collar and lapel cut on the bias.

Selzabega greeted them with a cordial smile. "It is an honour to have you visit my home, Cyfredol."

Kikola acknowledged him with a slight bob of her head. "This is my adjutant, Commodore Wurth."

"Welcome, Commodore." Selzabega gestured towards two opulent filigree-carved chairs and a matching settee in a corner with mirrored walls. The gold swirling pattern and the reflection of the rest of the décor was off-putting to Kikola's preference for modern minimalism, but she resisted mentally passing judgement – something her time on Trengos had taught her.

"This is not a social call." Kikola and Wurth remained standing in the centre of the room. "We are here on the matter of the fleet deployment intelligence you provided me."

Selzabega smiled with pride. "Ah, yes."

"Were you aware that the intelligence you provided was false?"

Kikola observed the man's body language as he registered disbelief, then mild panic, and then finally, audacity.

"And yet you succeeded," Selzabega replied.

"Because I also had the real information," said Kikola.

"I do hope you don't suspect me of deliberately passing false information."

"No. Gral'hilanth ap Falentha gave you the false information and gave me the real information."

Selzabega shrugged. "Never mind, you won. I guess that's all that matters."

In an obvious effort to distract, the slender man made his way to a sideboard with a decanted beverage and several glasses on a metal tray. He poured two glasses and offered them to his guests. Kikola raised her hand up to refuse, and Wurth stood with his hands at his sides when offered the other glass. Selzabega put the two drinks down and picked up the third. He drained the glass in one deliberate swallow before returning the glass to the tray.

Kikola was inwardly amused by this man's show of bravado, though she maintained her stern demeanour. "I also understand that it was you who passed on information held in court records that led Boran Zerbilla to discover I had become Tehvay's owner."

"I did," he said as he began to lower himself into a padded chair behind a large, ornate desk.

"Then that makes you dangerous."

Kikola's words had halted Selzabega's action for a moment, but he finally sat down. "That makes me useful," he said. "Please." Again, he gestured for Kikola to take a seat.

"I agree," said Kikola, again ignoring his offer for her to sit. "And that usefulness is available to whoever pays."

He frowned. "Are you after a refund or what? I am confused as to the point of your visit."

"The point is, I can't have you around providing information to anyone who is willing to pay you for it."

A slow smile spread across the man's face as he shifted position and reached into a drawer.

"I wouldn't," said Wurth, appearing next to Kikola with his weapon powered up and pointing at Selzabega's head.

Selzabega quickly raised his hands. His associates started to react, and he immediately told them to stand down.

Kikola reached out and gently pushed Wurth's IPB down. "How much?" she asked.

Selzabega slowly lowered his arms, but put both hands on the desktop where they could be seen. "For what?"

"For you to disappear," Kikola replied. "You can take a payment and leave this planet, or I can have it done cheaply." She indicated to her adjutant who had yet to holster his weapon.

Selzabega looked down at his desk, and sighed as if disappointed. "You appear to have the upper hand. Do you have a price in mind?"

"Ten million credits."

"What about my colleagues?" He gestured to his associates.

"I am sure you can afford to pay them off. Do we have a deal?"

Selzabega did not take long to ponder the offer. "Thank you. That is most generous."

"On one condition—"

"There is always a catch."

Kikola ignored his interruption and continued. "When you get your money, leave Kalenth and don't come back."

Selzabega nodded his acceptance of the conditions. He stood up and extended his hand to shake on it. Kikola did not reciprocate.

He shrugged his shoulders. "If you need—"

"I will not, and if you ever get involved in the business of selling information again, I will not be so generous."

"Very well."

"I will have the funds transferred to your account within the hour. Goodbye." She signalled to Wurth, who holstered his IPB. They both turned with military precision and started walking away.

"Please, before you go."

Against her better judgement, Kikola stopped and turned around. The man in the bright-green suit was outstretching his hand again. This time it held a data chip.

Kikola surmised that it must have been what Selzabega was trying to retrieve from his desk. She approached him again. "What is that for?" she asked.

"Call it a parting gift," he said. "Since I am 'retiring', I will no longer have need of the information, but you might."

"Information about what exactly?" Kikola asked warily.

Selzabega casually lowered his hand. "Secrets – secrets that certain people in the ruling class wish to be kept hidden."

"What sort of secrets?"

Selzabega changed. He was no longer stiff and nervous; instead he was relaxed and self-assured, like he was at the beginning of their interview. "The usual: likes, dislikes, foibles, who paid who to cover up something, what that something was," he explained. "You name it, someone with power has done it, killed it, or fucked it. With this information you can make sure that it's not you they do, kill, or fuck."

"Why give it to me?"

He looked puzzled for a moment. "Because you are the one in charge."

"Lentol was in charge. Did you give it to her?"

"No. She only wanted women from me. And while she might have paid me handsomely for this information, I didn't want her to have it."

Suddenly Kikola felt like she was on the defensive. "Are my secrets on there?"

Selzabega laughed. "You have no more secrets – at least none that others can exploit."

At least that was honest, Kikola thought. "What about you? What are your secrets?"

"Me? My life is an open book," Selzabega replied. "I was born into the Labror caste. Kicked out of home at sixteen. Survived on the streets by selling the only thing I could, my body. Clients reveal things when you satisfy their needs. When I was tired of all my food tasting like semen, I did something with all the little secrets I had accumulated." He waved a hand to indicate his surroundings, and then held out the data chip once more.

As loathsome as it felt to accept what amounted to gossip and potentially compromising information from a questionable source, Kikola knew it might come in handy one day. She took the data chip from Selzabega. "Enjoy your retirement."

"Thank you. I will."

~~~~

Against the backdrop of a purple twilight sunset over the sea, Tehvay and Rikana climbed into their chauffeured land vehicle and settled back in their seats for the ninety-kilometre drive back to the Karthen-owned property, located just outside of Ralkatar. Tehvay was more than ready to close the books on the child reunification mission and get home to Kikola. Very little was said during the journey. Both women were lost in their own thoughts as their vehicle drove along the coastal road. Soon Tehvay's eyelids gave in to the weariness she was feeling after such a long and difficult day. She didn't wake up until the vehicle stopped and Rikana announced their arrival.

Tehvay protested weakly as Rikana insisted on walking Tehvay up to the front door.

"Do you want me to come in with you?" Rikana asked.

"No," Tehvay replied. "I'll be all right. You get home." Tehvay tilted her head towards a nearby cottage. "I'm sure you can't wait to get out of that uniform."

"What? Oh, yeah." Rikana cackled. "I close that door behind me and strip."

Tehvay chuckled. "I have a sudden image of you running around the house naked."

"Thirty-nine seconds."

"Thirty-nine seconds?" Tehvay queried.

"My record for running around the house naked. I could do my flat in Dansek in less than ten."

The levity faded and Tehvay was ready to call it a day, but not before thanking Rikana. "My thanks for your assistance today, especially in dealing with Faron ap Barrinen."

"Humph. Too bad he walked away. I would have been happy to teach him some manners."

"Do me a favour, please don't say anything to Kikola about it."

Rikana shook her head. "I'm not sure that's such a good idea. He could be trouble."

"I'll tell her," Tehvay replied, somewhat unconvincingly.

Rikana folded her arms and gave Tehvay a sceptical look.

"I promise, I will tell her," Tehvay said with sincerity.

The young woman unfolded her arms. "Do you need anything else?"

"No. Goodnight."

"See you, Miss V."

Tehvay entered the home and paused to take in the splendour of what was understatedly called the foyer, but was really a grand hall. They had only just moved in and with her hectic schedule, Tehvay really hadn't paid attention to her new surroundings.

The foyer extended the full height and width of the house. The upper floor ended in a balcony that overlooked the entrance. On either side of Tehvay, bushy, green, climbing plants clung to tall trellises that went up to the ceiling.

However, her eyes were drawn to the splendid fountain with synchronised water jets shooting arcs of water pulses towards a single plume of water in the middle. Behind the fountain was a magnificent oval staircase. As a slave, she had seen the opulence of Elit estates, but this was now the home she shared with Kikola. We could fit our entire house on Trengos just in this one space, Tehvay noted in awe.

After such an arduous day, Tehvay was looking forward to putting her feet up and resting; she just didn't relish walking up the long flight of stairs to the bedroom. Instead, she turned left and made her way towards the main living room, willing her legs to carry her to the first comfortable piece of furniture. Once there, she put her personal communicator on the table and collapsed onto the nearest sofa.

Kikola, whose uniform jacket was casually opened at the neck, came into the lounge carrying a small tray with two mugs on it. "Welcome home. I thought you could use this."

"How did you know I was home?"

"I was notified by security that your vehicle had entered the estate."

"Oh." Tehvay groaned as she used her feet to try and push her shoes off.

"Here, let me." Kikola placed the tray on a table and knelt down to help Tehvay free herself of the footwear.

"Thank you," Tehvay said. She leaned back and lifted each foot, allowing Kikola to remove the shoes more easily.

Once the shoes were removed, Kikola served Tehvay one of drinks. She wrapped both hands around the mug, brought her lips to the edge of the cup, and blew at the hot liquid to cool it off. She savoured the creamy, earthy taste of dyodpeth. "Delicious." Tehvay went through the ritual of blowing and sipping again before speaking. "How was your meeting?"

Kikola picked up her drink as she sat down next to Tehvay. "Fine. Selzabega accepted my offer and agreed to leave Kalenth," she replied. "How did your day go?"

"It went about as well as could be expected." Tehvay wasn't sure she wanted to elaborate further.

"Did something happen?"

"Is it that obvious?" Tehvay wondered aloud.

Kikola leaned over and put her drink down. "What happened?"

"It was nothing really." Tehvay looked down into the well of her cup, as if for strength to recount the incident. She lifted her head but not her eyes. "There was an incident with a man named Faron ap Barrinen, the father of the last child to leave. The child was upset at being taken away from the Bren. Barrinen thought I was somehow responsible for making the child cry."

"I see," Kikola said soberly. There was silence for several seconds before Kikola added, "There is more to it, isn't there?"

"How did you know?"

"Because you are gripping that cup like it was some kind of lifeline, and you won't look me in the eye," Kikola replied.

Tehvay loosened her grip on the cup and met Kikola's gaze. "He raised his arm as if to strike me."

"Did he?"

Tehvay placed her cup on the table in front of her and kept her eyes averted. "No. But I did nothing to stop him. I just stood there, eyes downcast, ready to take my punishment like a slave."

"Where was Rikana during all of this?" Kikola asked.

"She stepped in front of me and knocked him to the ground. He got up threatening to have her arrested." Tehvay said, meeting Kikola's eyes again.

"Please tell me Rikana didn't hurt him too seriously."

"Well, you know Rikana. She had a few choice words for him and threatened to hit him again."

"Did she?"

"No. He took his wife and daughter and left, vowing that we hadn't heard the last of this."

"I am sorry you were treated so poorly, and I am sorry it made you feel like a slave again." Kikola stood up. "I will have him hauled into my office first thing in the morning to apologise to you."

"No!" Tehvay didn't want to make the matter worse by having him humiliated in public. "Promise me you won't."

"You are the Cyfredol's partner and senior advisor, and you will be accorded the respect you deserve!" Kikola replied indignantly. She stood and activated the comm on her Pup.

Tehvay felt a wave of panic that Kikola was going to do something rash. "Kikola, please don't!" she exclaimed with more emotion than she had meant.

Kikola turned off her comm and sat down on the sofa next to Tehvay. "All right. I did not mean to upset you."

"It's not you." Tehvay mustered a smile for Kikola. "It's just that it was a long, difficult day, and I'm a bit tired. Let's talk about this more tomorrow, okay?"

"Maybe this will help." Kikola stretched out her hand for Tehvay's cup of dyodpeth and picked it up. "It's cold. I'll go warm it for you."

"No, that's okay. Let's just sit together for a while. I've missed you."

"Do you want to go up to bed?"

"No, my feet are too sore to climb all those stairs."

Kikola leaned over and put her drink down. She patted her lap and said, "Here, put your feet up."

Tehvay offered a grateful smile and stretched her feet out over Kikola's lap. She sighed with delight as Kikola began massaging the pressure points on her feet.

With grateful groans, she urged Kikola to continue the massage higher. It felt so good to have the soreness relieved.

As Kikola's hands slowly massaged their way up her leg, Tehvay felt a pleasant tingling in her groin. Suddenly, she didn't feel so tired. Her groans took on a more sensual tone of encouragement, and Kikola was all too happy to oblige.

Tehvay shuffled her bottom closer and raised her hips slightly. Kikola understood the action, and her supple hands worked their way under Tehvay's skirt. She thrilled to feel her panties being pulled free and her skirt being pushed up. She spread her legs a little wider as Kikola traced a path from her ankles to her thigh with light kisses, the same path her hand had just massaged.

A gasp escaped Tehvay's lips as Kikola's tongue grazed her clit. That emboldened Kikola to linger there. Tehvay felt the heat building between her thighs. "Yes, Kikola. There, yes."

It took every ounce of concentration Tehvay could muster not to lose the intensity of the feelings when Kikola entered her. Her hips rose and fell with the rhythm of Kikola's tender penetration. She was so close. But it was like she had hit a wall she couldn't go through. Hating to disappoint Kikola yet again by having her stop, Tehvay contemplated faking an orgasm, but that would be disingenuous. Just then, her personal communicator started beeping. She almost breathed a sigh of relief as she picked it up. "It's my parents! I had better take it."

Kikola moved away so Tehvay could disentangle herself and straighten her dress.

"Don't go anywhere." She hurried into the next room, switched the call to the comm on the desk, and activated it.

Her parents' images flickered into existence. "Ima, Ita! It is good to see you," said Tehvay. "I should have called, but it has been a hectic few days."

"This isn't a social call, I'm afraid," her mother said.

"We need to speak to you," said her father. "There's something important you need to know."

~~~~

The sky was dark, and the tiny lights of ships in orbit moved among the glittering stars overhead. So beautiful, thought Tehvay. She turned to look at Tremothen who was driving the ground vehicle. "Thank you again for coming out so late."

"You're a hard woman to say no to," he replied. "Don't tell my wife I said that."

"I'm right here." Marleen's hand appeared between Tehvay and Tremothen and swatted her husband's shoulder.

Tremothen drove the vehicle up to a large metal gate and stopped.

There was a tap on the window next to Tremothen and he opened it. They all showed their ID to the guard, who signalled for the gate to be opened and waved them through.

Tremothen pulled up outside an austere-looking administration building with thin horizontal windows. It was obvious that these windows' function to allow light into the interior of the building, not to allow the occupants to see outside.

"Are you really sure about this?" asked Marleen.

"Yes," replied Tehvay.

"We should go with you," said Tremothen.

"I need to do this alone." Tehvay opened the door and started to exit the vehicle. Before she put her foot down on the ground, Tehvay turned back to her friends and said, "I don't know how long I will be."

"We'll be here," said Marleen. "You do what you have to."

"Thank you." Tehvay stepped out of the vehicle and into the building.

There was a large semi-circular reception desk in the lobby of the building. A middle-aged woman wearing a charcoal-coloured suit greeted her. "Name please."

"Tehvay – Tehvay Veilan."

The woman looked down and consulted the monitor in front of her. "Ah yes, Miss Veilan," she said cordially. "We got your message. We wouldn't do this for just anybody."

"I understand. You have my thanks."

Tehvay was given a visitor's badge and directed towards a set of double doors, which the woman activated from the desk. Tehvay waited for the doors to open and then stepped through to the other side. There, another woman in a grey suit met her. The woman first led Tehvay to a maglev lift that took them down to a subterranean floor, and then through a series of corridors and secure metal doors, each requiring a retinal scan to unlock it.

Finally, the security officer stopped at a plain white door. "Are you sure you want to be alone?"

"Yes," replied Tehvay.

The woman opened the heavy metal door, and Tehvay entered a small square room with no windows, just a table and two chairs. The door was shut and locked behind her. Tehvay glanced back, feeling a little apprehensive. She shook off that feeling and focussed her gaze on the woman who occupied one of the chairs: Ambra ap Lentol.

Ambra was wearing a red and yellow prison uniform. Her hands were securely fixed to the table top by short cables. Tehvay took the seat opposite the former Bren, who did nothing but stare at her.

Now she was here, Tehvay didn't know how to begin. What do I say? How do I say it? Can I say it? As the questions tumbled through Tehvay's mind, her silence was not enough to keep Ambra quiet.

"Are you here to gloat? To make me beg for my life? Or beg for something else? No?"

"You took my sister away from me. Someone that I didn't know I would miss until she was gone. You robbed me of the joy of her company. But fate has given me another sister," Tehvay reached across the table and took hold of one of Ambra's hands. "You."

 

Author's Page

Back to the Academy