Disclaimers: All characters referenced in this story are mine and mine alone. Any similarities between them and anyone else living, dead, or fictional, is purely accidental/coincidental. Basically, hands off without my permission-pretty please.

Warnings: No violence, sorry. This does involve a look at loving relationships between women. If this is not your style, you are under 18, or if this is not legal where you live: Either don’t read it, don’t get caught reading it, or forget you ever saw this stuff.

For those who think lesbianism is wrong -sorry, perhaps one day after we cure stuff like cancer and AIDS we’ll work on stupidity-until then, don’t read and don’t flame.

Sex: Of course-not in all sections but it does happen now and again.

Sue: Always for you!

Anything I missed? Fill in the blanks or email me.

All comments, questions, suggestions and nice stuff are LOVED!

Jeaninehemail-public@yahoo.com

Chapter Eight

Life seemed to settle into a good rhythm for Jay as September drew to a close. She was surprised to be called in for a meeting with Sharon. Unable to pick up any vibe on why she was there, she sat and waited for Sharon’s attention. Thankfully Sharon got right down to business.

“Jay, we’re getting direction from headquarters on a new structure for the consumer lending division and I need your input.”

Jaw wasn’t surprised as there had been talked about for months that there would be a shifting of responsibilities. Jay just hoped her team didn’t lose anyone. Things were finally rolling smoothly.

“Sure Sharon, what can I do to help?”

“I’ll get right to the bottom line Jay, I know you’re busy. Upstairs is talking about, well hell, they are restructuring the regions. When that happens, your area of responsibility will just about double.”

Jay let out a shocked gasp, and then quickly got a handle on herself. She knew that she couldn’t let Sharon see her fear. “It’ll be really tight. Is there any chance of gaining a few more people to help out the team?” asked Jay hopefully.

Sharon smiled, “Jay, I haven’t gotten to the good part yet. I’m the new President of Lending, and you will be named as a Senior VP of Consumer Lending with another Senior VP of Consumer Lending to co-chair the department for this region. We will be adding a second team to your department and assigning you both ultimate control of your division, under me of course.” Sharon let that sink in a minute, “Congratulations Jay, it’s a well earned promotion for you!”

Jay was stunned but managed to thank Sharon and give a wan grin.

Sharon went on with her news, “I think I have the perfect person in mind to be your Co-Chair, but she doesn’t have as much seniority as you. You will keep your team members, and we’ll form a new team under the other Co-Chair. Both teams will gain people as well.”

Jay nodded; she was starting to like what she was hearing. With luck this might actually decrease her overall workload.

Sharon continued, “So, after looking at the recent reviews, loan numbers, and talking to some of the branch staff, I know who I want to promote. It might make things a little difficult because the only thing missing is seniority.”

“Of course, I mean Bailey. I realize it would be a loss to your team but we’ll fill her slot with anyone you choose. I would need you to work closely with her, teaching her the responsibilities, but it’s a huge step for her as well. This puts you both firmly in upper management. This should make your friendship easier with the difference of rank gone, and you no longer acting as her supervisor.”

“It isn’t easy having to supervise your friends,” admitted Jay, “but I think it’s gone well.”

“Oh, it has,” agreed Sharon, “but this way I’ll be responsible for her reviews and you will essentially be peers. It is just a little extra benefit.” Sharon waited for Jay’s response.

“Wow! I knew there was a restructure coming, but I didn’t envision this, I thought I would lose people, not gain them. When does it start?” asked Jay.

#

They called Bailey in to share the news, and then went over some of the details. Sharon told them that since it was Friday they should leave early and do something to celebrate their new promotions. They walked out of Sharon’s office together, and looked at each other glad that they had car pooled for the first time that day.

“Meet me at my office in fifteen minutes?” asked Jay.

“Make it ten,” laughed Bailey, and headed towards her office.

Scott looked at Jay and asked her what was going on.

“Stick with me Scott, I can’t tell you just yet, but next week you will know before anyone else, I promise. For now, get out of here, have a great weekend and I’m going to do the same.” To emphasize her point, Jay shut down her computer and left it docked, locked up her files, and was ready to go before Bailey returned. The two of them headed for the parking garage, barely containing their excitement.

Since Bailey drove, she looked at Jay and asked, “Your place?” Jay nodded, grinning ear to ear. As they pulled away, they both let out shouts of joy and Jay pumped her fist in the air.

“What do you think the Board would say if they realized that their top two consumer lending managers are a couple?” asked Bailey with a chuckle.

Jay snorted and then shook her head, “At least you no longer answer to me for reviews and such, so we’re as legit a couple as we’ll get there. At least no one can claim favoritism since Sharon selected you for the job, not me.”

“Jay! This is a happy day, stop with the negative stuff,” chastised Bailey.

“You’re right, I’m sorry sweetie, let’s celebrate. What do you want to do?”

Bailey gave her a credible leer, “you!”

Jay laughed, held out her hand, and granted her wish. They got back to Jay’s, where Bailey now had some clothes and things for convenience, and headed for the bedroom. Bailey was aggressive, pinning Jay down and lavishing her body with attention.

“If this is what happens when one of us gets promoted, I’m going to work much harder,” gasped Jay when they took a break. Bailey laughed and curled up next to Jay and let her hand wander over her lover’s neck and chest.

“Honey, what’s this? It feels like a bump under your skin. Has it always been there?” Bailey asked with concern.

“What? Where is it?” asked Jay a bit sleepily. Bailey guided Jay’s hand to the lump; it rested just under her jaw line on the left side.

“I don’t know honey, probably a bug bite, or a lymph node. I’m sure it’s nothing.” Jay yawned.

“I’m going to keep an eye on it Jay, I don’t like it. I don’t remember it being there and it doesn’t look like a bug bite.”

Bailey spoke with enough conviction that Jay was compelled to offer, “Tell you what, if it’s still there next week, I’ll take a run into my doctor, I promise. I don’t want you to worry about me.” Jay gave her a kiss on the forehead and snuggled Bailey in tight against her. They both took a nap before celebrating their promotions throughout the night.

#

Bailey awoke to the smell of something yummy baking. She smelled cinnamon but she wasn’t awake enough to figure it out yet. Just as she started to sit up, Jay walked in with a breakfast tray completely fixed with homemade cinnamon buns, fresh squeezed orange juice, cut up fruit, and a single red rose in a bud vase with a spray of baby’s breath keeping it company.

“When did you have time to do all of this Jay? What time did you get up?”

Jay set the tray down, gave Bailey a kiss on her forehead, and sat next to her on the edge of the bed.

“I got up a little while ago. I remembered how much you loved cinnamon buns so I whipped up a batch. No big deal. I ran down to the corner store for the rose while the dough rose. That left me plenty of time to make the juice and cut up the fruit.”

“You are the sweetest woman Jay, thank you so much. Now, come here and get next to me so we can share.”

Bailey couldn’t believe her luck. Jay really didn’t seem to understand how sweet her romantic gesture was. It was another example of Jay just being Jay.

They finished breakfast and decided to call their parents and let them in on the big news. Before they called, they had to decide if they wanted to celebrate with their folks that night or not because it would certainly be suggested. They didn’t really have plans, so they decided their parents should come down to the city and they would go out somewhere fun. With that agreed upon, they picked up their cell phones and dialed. Everyone agreed to meet at the restaurant that Bailey and Jay picked out. It was a fairly new Middle Eastern place in Center City that had gotten some good reviews.

They decided to stay in and be slugs for the rest of the morning. They made the bed, cleaned up from breakfast and they cuddled up on the couch to listen to music and read. A little after one pm Jay’s cell rang and she grimaced as she looked at the caller ID.

“Hey Sharon, to what do I owe the pleasure this afternoon?”

Bailey made a face and Jay turned away so she wouldn’t laugh. After a few minutes, Jay hung up and settled back into the couch and her comfortable position.

“Are you really going to make me ask?”

Jay smirked, “I wanted to see how long it would take.”

“Well?”

“It’s no big deal. She was just calling to ask about having a lunch meeting on Monday. I think it has to do with the announcement of the new restructure.” Jay gave her a quick kiss and settled back into her book.

#

Everyone had a good time at dinner and Jay had to admit it had been fun. She didn’t really want to make a big deal of her promotion. She wanted to celebrate Bailey’s achievement. They walked their parents back to the parking lot they had used, and bid them a safe drive and good night.

Taking Bailey’s hand she asked, “What next M’Lady? Shall we head somewhere else or shall we head home. I think I have a new Netflix that came in. We could watch that if you want.”

Bailey looked up into the dark brown eyes that she loved more than anything and gave a contented sigh. “Anything is fine, why don’t we go home and watch the movie after we get into snuggly clothes? We’ve both been pushing pretty hard and I just want to relax this weekend.”

“Your wish is my command, this way to your horseless carriage M’Lady.” Jay offered her hand and gave a quick bow.

Bailey laughed, “You know, one of the first things I can remember about you is that you could always make me laugh. No matter what the situation, no matter how tense or troubled I was, you could always make me laugh. Thank you for that honey!” She got on her toes and gave Jay a quick peck on her cheek.

Jay blushed and ducked her head, “It’s all part of the service, Ma’am. Just doing my part.” She grinned cheekily and looked forward to getting them home.

next part

Return to the Academy