10

They had, had a quiet morning but about two o’clock all hell broke loose, John came in and told them that they were all needed for a raid, it was on a warehouse that they suspected was full of stolen merchandise.

Everyone got ready, they worked out the arrangements with the six detectives in the squad, plus John and the uniforms.

They made their was to the warehouse and got ready, Frankie and Cameron were told to go through the back. They had to find a way in, when they got to the back of the warehouse, Frankie looked around and found a window they could get through. The only problem was it was about eight feet off the ground, Frankie tried climbing the drainpipe next to the window, but she lost her footing and fell; she heard Cameron shout her name but then she hit the ground and passed out.

"Frankie!!!"

Cameron froze for a split second, before she ran to where Frankie lay, unmoving on the ground.

"Frankie? Answer me, damn it……I need assistance around he back of the building. Ambulance required."

When she heard the confirmation she was relieved. She felt Frankie’s pulse, she was still breathing, but the blood pouring from the cut on her head and her unconscious state were unnerving Cameron.

Time seemed to stand still while she was waiting, she heard the commotion from inside the building, results of the raid they had just started. The paramedics arrived and took control of the situation.

"How was she hurt?"

Cameron looked at her, "We were trying to find a way in, and she lost her footing and fell. I couldn’t see how she landed, but she hasn’t regained consciousness since she fell."

"Okay. We’ll take her in and get her checked out."

"Okay. I’ll meet you there, I have stuff to sort out here before I can leave. Do me a favour? If she wakes up, she’ll be disoriented, could you tell her Cameron’s on her way?"

The female paramedic nodded. "Sure. Don’t worry she’ll be fine."

They wheeled Frankie away and Cameron went to find out what was going on.

About half an hour later John was driving her to hospital, Cameron doubted she would have been able to concentrate.

"We’d better call Billy, have you got his number?"

John nodded, "Yeah, I’ll give it to you when we get there, okay?"

"Yeah, I’ll call him. As soon as we find out what’s wrong."

John nodded but stayed quiet. Thinking ‘why her?’ When they got there they went to the desk and asked where Frankie was.

Having a badge proved to be very helpful. They found the doctor who was treating Frankie and he told them the prognosis.

"She has a hairline fracture of her right wrist, a bad concussion and a couple of broken ribs. But she will be okay, she’ll need a lot of rest, she won‘t be able to do anything strenuous until her ribs heal. Will someone be bale to stay with her."

Cameron nodded, "I will."

They thanked the doctor and he left.

Cameron took a deep relieved breath, Cameron took Billy’s number to tell him the news.

"Hello."

"Hey Billy. It’s Cameron."

Billy was on the alert straight away. "What happened?"

"She had an accident, but she is going to be fine. She’s got a fractured wrist, couple of broken ribs and she banged her head. She hasn’t come round yet."

"Okay. I’ll try to get a flight. I’ll see you when I see you."

"Okay."

"And Cameron."

"Yeah."

"My sisters got a hard head, she will be okay."

"I know."

"Tell her I’m coming."

Cameron nodded, "I will. See you soon."

She hung up and went to Frankie’s room, she saw John waiting outside she went up to him and he smiled.

"I’ve spoken to the doctor and he said you can sit with her, talk to her. I’m going to call Mandy and tell her, then I’ll wait for them to get here."

"Thanks. Billy’s gonna try and get a flight straight away."

"All right. I’ll be back in a little while."

Cameron nodded. She was so tired all of a sudden. She went into Frankie’s room, it was quiet, apart from the heart monitor beeping. She choked back a sob, her friend looked so pale and helpless. She sat down on Frankie’s good side and held her hand, she thought about what had happened, she was really scared.

"Hey Frankie. You scared me there, for a minute I thought I was going to lose you. I want you to wake up and talk to me, okay."

She put her head down onto the bed, she was emotionally drained.

Frankie slowly came back into consciousness, hearing the beep of the monitors. She felt constricted around her torso and someone holding her hand. She opened her eyes and just saw the ceiling, slowly she turned her head and saw Cameron, she smiled and gently touched Cameron’s head.

Cameron drifted off before she knew it, only to be woken up by the soft touch on her head. She looked up and into the eyes of her friend and she smiled. It took her brain a few seconds to become coherent then her head shot up and she said, "You’re awake?"

Frankie smiled and rasped. "If you can call it that."

Cameron laughed. "How do you feel?"

Frankie looked confused, "I honestly don’t know. Tell me what happened and I’ll tell you how I feel."

Cameron smiled at her, "Okay, we were trying to find a back way in to a building, you lost your footing and fell. So, you’ve got a broken arm, a couple of broken ribs which is why you are strapped up. And you’ve got a nasty cut to your head, which is why you’ve been unconscious for the last three or four hours. And, your knee will probably ache for a while."

Frankie smiled. "Okay. Then I feel like shit."

Cameron looked at her and started to laugh, "Well I wasn’t gonna say it, but you kind of look like it too."

Frankie grinned. "I bet I do. Well you’d better tell someone I’m awake."

"Yeah I will. John’s here and Billy and Mandy are on their way."

Frankie had tears in her eyes.

"Hey are you okay?"

Frankie nodded gently, wary of the headache she had that could have felled an elephant. "Yeah, sorry."

"For what, it’s okay. Just promise me something."

"Anything."

"Don’t do that again!"

Frankie smiled. "I promise."

"You scared me, you know?"

Frankie nodded, "Sorry."

Cameron smiled. "I just hated seeing you like that, like this."

"I know. I don’t know what happened. I don’t remember anything until just now when I woke up. I saw you, so I knew I was safe."

Cameron had tears in her eyes now, "I’m glad I could be here."

"So, I’m gonna be okay?"

"Yeah with rest. You sit tight and I’ll go grab your doctor and see who’s here. Okay?"

Frankie nodded, "Yeah."

Cameron left, and fell back against the door when it closed. Shock and happiness taking it’s toll, she told the nurse that Frankie was awake and then went to find John. She didn’t find John, but saw Mandy staring out of the window in the relatives room.

"Hey." she said in a tired voice. Mandy turned around and looked at Cameron, Cameron smiled and said, "She’s awake."

The smile lit up Mandy’s face, "How is she?"

"Sore, but her spirits are up. Where’s John?"

"He’s gone to the airport, Billy got a flight straight away so he’s gone to meet him."

"Good. Do you want to go see her?"

"Yeah."

Cameron nodded, "I’m going to go and splash some water on my face, you go and see her, and will you tell her I’ll be back."

Mandy nodded and left Cameron there, she went into the nearest bathroom. That’s where she broke down, she started to cry and went into a cubicle. She had been so scared when she couldn’t get a response from Frankie. She hadn’t wanted to upset Frankie which is why she was crying in the bathroom.

Mandy got to Frankie’s room and knocked.

"Yeah."

She peeked her head in and saw that Frankie was alone and went in. "Hey."

Frankie smiled at her aunt. "Hey Mandy."

Mandy went over to the bed and gave her a hug. "How you doing?"

Frankie smiled. "I’ll be fine. The doctor said I’m doing okay. Where’s Cam?"

"She’s gone to splash some water on her face, she’ll be here in a minute. John’s gone to meet Billy at the airport."

Frankie closed her eyes for a second. When she heard the door open she opened them. It was Cameron, Frankie looked at her for a second and knew what she’d been doing. She looked at her and then made a decision. "Mandy?"

Mandy looked at her. "Yeah."

"Could you go see if I’m allowed anything to eat, I’m starving."

Mandy looked at her and then Cameron and nodded. "Sure."

When she left Cameron finally looked up at Frankie and Frankie patted the bed, Cameron came over and sat down, tears still running down her face.

Frankie raised her hand to Cameron’s face and wiped the tears away. "I’m fine you know, you aren’t going to get rid of me that easily."

Cameron nodded, Frankie took her into her arms. "I’m not going anywhere. I promise."

Cameron smiled, "I know really. I just didn’t want you to see me cry."

Frankie smiled, "I know but I can handle it. But I promise you, I’m going to be fine. Doing chin ups again in no time."

Cameron looked up and smiled. She got down off the bed and sat in the chair, not letting go of Frankie’s hand, because she didn’t want to lose contact.

Frankie smiled, it was funny. Even though she was in pain she was happy, glad that her family was with her.

Mandy came back in with a sandwich, and Frankie found that she was hungry after all, they chatted for a while and then Billy and John arrived.

Billy came in and went straight to give Frankie a hug, "How are you feeling?"

Frankie smiled at her brother. "I’m fine. Actually, I feel good. Apart from when I laugh it hurts like hell."

Billy smiled, and went and hugged Mandy and Cameron hello.

"How was your flight?"

Billy looked at Cameron and grinned. "Okay actually. I managed to get on the direct one so it wasn’t so bad." He looked at his sister and said, "Have they told you how long you’ve got to stay in?"

Frankie nodded. "Overnight for observation because of the concussion. Then I can go home and rest. Cameron’s gonna stay for a couple of days to look after me. You’re welcome to stay too, if you can."

Billy nodded, "I can stay until the day after tomorrow. Then I need to go back as I have a project to hand in."

Frankie nodded, "Good."

Mandy, John and Cameron left then telling Frankie they‘d see her tomorrow, the nurse had only given them a short time to stay because it was past visiting hours. They left Billy to say goodbye to Frankie in peace.

When they left Billy turned just as Cameron was leaving, he turned just in time to see Frankie watching her leave.

He smiled knowingly, he asked "So, when are you gonna tell her?"

Frankie looked at him, not understanding. "Tell her what?"

Billy smiled. "That you’re totally head over heals in love with her."

Frankie looked at him for a moment, and then down at the bed and said in a small voice. "I don’t know if I can."

next part

Return to the Academy

Feedback palaker2000@yahoo.co.uk