You're Breaking My Heart

by JS Stephens
Copyright © 2008, revised 2013 by JS Stephens.

Lyrics from "Cecelia" by Simon and Garfunkel, copyright © 1970. I heard this tune on the radio one day and decided to play with it a bit.


Celia, you're breaking my heart
You're shaking my confidence daily
Oh, Cecilia, I'm down on my knees
I'm begging you please to come home

Toni waited anxiously in front of the school, wondering if Cecilia would remember that they were supposed to be studying for their English test after school. Lately, Celia had been missing study dates, spending more and more time with her boyfriend, Craig, and then calling later to profusely apologize. Toni did not like Craig, sure he was only after one thing, and that was not what good girls were supposed to give their boyfriends. Rumor had it that he'd fathered a child in the last school he was in, before his father was transferred here in the fall.

Toni and Celia had been best friends since sixth grade, when they sat next to each other in home room. It was an instant friendship, and they had spent many afternoons together, and had kept each other up through many sleep-overs through the years. Lately, their friendship had been strained, and Toni wasn't sure why.

Maybe it was that Toni still wanted to spend a lot of time with her, rather than doing like most girls and melting away to accommodate the extra time Celia wanted to spend with Craig. It wasn't fair, Toni thought, that Craig was supposed to take over her life! For God's sake, they were only juniors, still too young to get serious about anyone!


Celia, you're breaking my heart
You're shaking my confidence daily
Oh, Cecilia, I'm down on my knees
I'm begging you please to come home
Come on home

"I am so sorry I made you wait, Toni, but Craig caught up with me after class and I couldn't just blow him off," Celia explained as she tucked her hand in Toni's elbow. "Do you still love me?"

"Always," Toni said, almost unwillingly. She let the blonde lead her to the parking lot, where Celia parked her prized 1968 Ford Mustang GT/CS, which her father bought even before she could take driver's ed. Celia and her father had seen the movie Bullitt several times, and Celia begged her dad for the car. Toni couldn't imagine getting a new car for her first car, she had to share a 1961 Dodge Dart with her older brother.

"Lost in the clouds again?" Celia teased as she unlocked the doors.

"Yeah, what about it?" Toni grumbled, sliding into the car. At least it was a pretty day for April, and Celia was willing to drop the top. Toni reached over and turned up the radio, singing along with Simon and Garfunkel. She found it really amusing that they had a hit named "Cecilia", and liked to tease her friend by singing it.

The ride was too short for Toni's liking, she loved the feeling of the wind in her light brown hair. She got out of the car and grabbed her books and purse, following Toni into her house. "I forgot, Mom's out for the afternoon, some sort of club meeting, so we have the place to ourselves," Celia said as she led Toni up the stairs. "Come on, we'll listen to my stereo before we start studying."

Toni just nodded, trudging up to the room she knew as well as her own. Pink ruffled bedspread, stuffed animals all around, a makeup table, a small bookcase, a table with a stereo and small stack of records, a dresser, and a desk large enough for two to sit at. Much nicer than her plain room. She hoped Craig had not seen this room. "Come on, honey, get comfortable," Celia said as she dropped her books and started unbuttoning her blouse. "Did you bring your shorts?"

"No, I forgot," Toni said, wondering why she got such a secret thrill out of watching her friend undress. She swallowed hard as Celia stripped down to her underwear, making a show of parading across the room, slowly opening the close door. "It's okay, though," she squeaked, "I'm fine."

Celia, turned, sweeping her gaze up and down. "No, you really need to get comfortable," she said, her voice suddenly husky. Toni swallowed again, feeling flushed as her friend advanced on her. "You need to take off some clothes," she whispered, reaching for Toni's blouse. Toni could only stand, trembling, watching with huge eyes as Celia slowly undressed her. "Lay down, and I'll show you what Craig has shown me," she whispered, "it will make you feel so good."

Mesmerized, Toni found herself on Celia's double bed, with her friend straddling her, leaning over, long blonde locks curtaining her face. God, should she let this go on, or stop it now?

She opened her mouth to protest, but Cecilia laid a finger on her lips, shushing her. "You'll enjoy this, you've always wanted this," she said lazily, laying on top of Toni, cupping a breast with her hand, "and it will feel so good." Toni groaned as a thumb was dragged across her fabric covered nipple, bewildered at the sudden strange feelings gathering in her belly.

"God, please," Toni begged after several minutes, not sure what she was begging for, but knowing only Cecilia could provide it. The other girl smiled, reminding her insanely of Catwoman on the TV show. "Please," she begged again.

Celia leaned over the rest of the way, lowering her mouth on Toni's, first brushing gently, then suddenly attacking her with her mouth. Toni had kissed a few boys in the past few years, but they were nothing like this inferno suddenly roaring through her body. What was Celia doing to her? She didn't know, and for some reason, she didn't really care. She kissed back fervently until they were both starved for air, breaking apart for a moment, panting hard.

"More," Toni croaked, and Celia smiled like some sort of predatory creature, kissing and licking down her neck until she reached the edge of Toni's bra. "Yes," Toni whispered, not knowing what, but needing it. Celia reached under her, unhooking the bra, then lifting it away. Toni's heart was galloping by now; she could feel it banging against her chest like it was trying to escape. She was so scared and yet so turned on she wasn't sure what to do. Flee now, or let Celia continue?

"You're beautiful, dear," Celia said before she lowered her mouth over Toni's nipple. Toni groaned again, involuntarily tightening her arms around the other girl, holding her to her chest. God, the feelings racing through her body! Celia was transporting her to heaven, she decided, and if she died, it would be worth it. Her breath was becoming harsh and rapid now as the other girl went back and forth between her breasts. She felt like she was on the edge of something, like she was standing at the edge of a cliff, looking down, wanting to jump and float through the air.

"Are you ready?" For what? Toni didn't have a chance to wonder long as her panties suddenly disappeared. Celia is completely naked too, how did that happen? Her thoughts flew away as Celia suddenly touched her most intimate spot, rubbing lightly, then gaining confidence and speed.

Toni was beyond rational thought now, riding the wave, hanging on to Celia for dear life. She was moaning inarticulately now, feeling like she was riding a rainbow over the earth, wanting more! She tightened her legs around Celia, trying to increase contact as insistent fingers worked over her.

The wave suddenly crashed, and she found herself shuddering hard, rubbing rapidly against her friend, arms and legs wrapped as tight as could be. Lights appeared in her vision, and her entire body bucked hard. She flipped them over, wanting to share this feeling with Celia, even as the waves kept crashing. She roughly started sucking on her friend's nipples, marveling at the way Celia started squirming under her, igniting her passion higher.

Without thinking, she slipped a hand down, seeking the same spot her friend had sought, rubbing, swirling, still licking and sucking on her nipples. Celia started moaning and breathing hard; Toni slipped back up, kissing her hard, keeping her fingers moving at the same time. She felt everything building, and suddenly Celia started trembling as well, then screamed out as her wave crested.

The girls held each other tightly, moving together, drawing out the feelings. Legs slipped between each other, and they painted each other with moisture as they rode the other's leg, the feelings swirling until they climaxed hard again.

An indeterminate time later, Toni went into Celia's bathroom to clean up. Celia took her turn first, and Toni just sat, dazed, on the edge of the bed, lifting her fingers to her nose and sniffing delicately. God, what had they done? "All done, your turn, dear."


Making love in the afternoon with Cecilia
Up in my bedroom (making love)
I got up to wash my face
When I come back to bed
Someone's taken my place

When Toni came out of the bathroom a short time later, dressed in Celia's shorts and shirt, she was shocked to see the door open and Craig sitting on the bed with Celia. "Hey," he called out as he placed a massive paw on Celia's shoulder, "how's the studying coming?"

"We're done," she answered brusquely. "Celia, could you take me home now?" Toni begged.

"Let me get my purse," Celia said dully, adding, "Craig, you'd better be gone when I get back, you know my parents don't allow me to entertain boys when they're not home."


Celia, you're breaking my heart
You're shaking my confidence daily
Oh, Cecilia, I'm down on my knees
I'm begging you please to come home
Come on home

The friends didn't speak for several weeks after that afternoon. Toni avoided Celia, and studied with other friends instead. She felt empty, betrayed, angry. The ironic thing was that she spent so much time on her schoolwork that her grades for the last six weeks were all A's for the first time in her life, instead of the usual A-B's.


Jubilation, she loves me again,
I fall on the floor and I laughing,
Jubilation, she loves me again,
I fall on the floor and I laughing

Prom came and went, graduation came and went, and the class scattered to the four winds. The war dragged on, Nixon resigned, and Ford pardoned Nixon. Toni graduated from college, and went to work for a large department store in a nearby city. She rented a small mother-in-law bungalow from a nice elderly couple, a modest little place, but affordable on her wages. She came home one night and was puzzled to see her lights on. Had she forgotten to turn them off before she left for work?

She cautiously unlocked the door and walked into her living room, shocked to see Cecilia sitting primly on her couch. "Celia?" she queried.

"Craig and I are divorced. I've taken a job at the paper, but need a place to live for a short while. Do you mind? I told her landlady that we were friends in high school, and I didn't think you'd mind me staying the night. Do you?" Celia asked hopefully.

Toni felt a whirlwind of emotions rip through her in a matter of seconds, anger at Celia's presumption, joy at seeing her again, dismay that her marriage didn't last, and hope that they could become friends again. "I guess not. The couch makes into a bed, and I have a spare set of pajamas. What would you like for supper?"

A few weeks passed. Toni was careful not to touch Celia, but it was becoming increasingly hard not to in such a small space. Celia was more beautiful than she had been in high school, and more voluptuous. Sometimes, Toni had to literally take a cold shower after coming home so she wouldn't think such bad thoughts.

She had never kissed another woman since that afternoon, but had often daydreamed about it, even as her heart broke. Now that dream was tantalizingly close, and it was almost unbearable.

One night, after a long day at their respective jobs, Celia patted the couch beside her and asked Toni to sit down. "Honey," she started softly, "I'd like to apologize for what I did to you so long ago. I'm not sure what came over me, but I've never forgiven myself for ripping us apart like that. Can we ever become friends again? Or should I start looking for an apartment?"

Toni closed her eyes for a moment, then opened them, gazing into Celia's worried eyes. She started smiling slowly, and said quietly, "I think we can become friends again." She reached for Celia's hand, squeezing it gently.

Celia relaxed and squeezed back, then dropped her head on Toni's shoulder. "I'm very tired, and would like to go to bed now," she said. Celia lifted her head and stood up.

"Coming?" Toni asked, allowing her voice to drop.

Celia nodded, mouth suddenly dry. Toni still had her hand, and was leading her into the bedroom. She guessed their friendship might get repaired after all. "Thank you," she said quietly.

"Just don't break my heart again," Toni said before taking Celia into her arms, kissing her gently.

"I won't," Celia promised, as her arms slid up Toni's back, "believe me, I won't, my love."

the end

 

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page