A SINGLE STEP

By Kennedy Northcutt ©2015

sgkctl1985@yahoo.com

For disclaimers and stuff, see Part 1

Part 9



Chapter 12

“It won’t work, Eve.”

“Yes, it will.”

“No, it won’t.”

“It will. Watch and learn.” Eve climbed the steps to the bosun and approached the captain, who was standing next to the wheel, legs spread apart for balance and arms crossed over his barrel chest. “Captain? May I have a word?”

He barely glanced her way, keeping those shrewd gray eyes on the sea beyond. “Not a good time, Messenger.” He then pointed a finger and shouted. “Shore up that rigging, lads! And clear away that debris near the rail! Storm’s past and the wind’s-a-changin’! Hoist anchor and unfurl the sails!” He was down the steps and crossing the deck before Eve could speak another word.

Aryana just crossed her arms over her chest and smirked as Eve returned to the deck. “Nicely done. I’m learning so much.”

Eve shot her an irritated glare and then shrugged. “He’s busy.”

Aryana leaned against the railing and watched the furious activity on deck as the men continued with their organized chaos under the watchful eye of their captain.

“Maybe we should offer to help instead of making requests,” Aryana suggested. “I could use some exercise after all that sloshing around we just did.” She stood up and stretched.

One sailor passed between the two women carrying a heavy rope over a bare shoulder. He nearly knocked Eve over in his haste and didn’t bother apologizing.

“Maybe we should return below decks and see how everybody is doing,” Eve said. “I can speak to the captain later, once things settle back down. We’re only in the way here.”

“After you,” Aryana motioned for Eve to go ahead of her. “And I’ll try not to say I told you so.”

Eve shot a glance over her shoulder. “Aryana?”

“Hm?”

“I’m still your mother.”

“And?”

“Respect, Aryana.”

Aryana stood at the edge of the hatch and watched Eve descend into the hold. She took a deep breath, looked around and tried not to think about what they would find belowdecks. Once Eve was out of sight, Aryana started down after her. It wasn’t as dark as she expected. The lanterns were lit and swaying with the motion of the ship. Several of Eve’s followers were busy cleaning up and putting things back in order, while others tended those who had received minor cuts and bruises during the worst of the storm.

Aryana stepped down into the ankle-deel water, impressed that it wasn’t as high as it had been. Someone was obviously manning the bilge pump situated at the far end of the hold. Sloshing over to where Eve was kneeling in the midst of several of her followers and quietly reassuring them, Aryana leaned against a crate and waited patiently for the woman to finish. She glanced around and noticed that Eve’s followers seemed to be taking things in stride. A calm determination had descended over the group as they worked and took care of each other. There were even a couple people humming a lively tune in the cramped space.

Deciding that she wasn’t really needed, Aryana climbed back up on deck and returned to her place at the railing. She leaned against the smooth wood and stared at the horizon. The sun had broken through the clouds and was sparkling off the water. It was almost magical. Far off in the distance she could just make out the faint outline of what she hoped was land. She hoped the storm hadn’t knocked them too far off course. She also hoped that Gabrielle and Virgil were faring better and would be there to meet her and Eve when the ship made port.

***

Gabrielle was at her wits end. Michael was being completely unreasonable and would not send her back to the mortal realm. No amount of pleading or aguing seemed to work with him, so she decided on another tact.

“Fine,” she sat down on a marble bench and crossed her arms over her chest.

“Fine?” He eyed her warily. “Fine, what? You haven’t heard the terms of the deal, yet.”

“Okay, fine,” she said. “What are the terms?” She spread her arms open wide. “What do you want me to do? Go to the Underworld and kill Lucifer? I can’t guarantee that I won’t succumb to the darkness and turn into a demon again. We both know how well that turned out the last time.” She shrugged. “But, hey, if you’re willing to take the chance, I’m…”

“No, that isn’t it at all,” he interrupted with a wave of a hand.

“Then what? Just spit it out, Michael. I said I wasn’t playing your game and I meant it. Exactly what do you want from me?”

He glanced at the chakram hanging from her belt, then looked up with a raised brow. “Hand over the God Killer, and I’ll send you back to the mortal realm. That’s the deal I’m offering you.”

Gabrielle glanced down at the chakram and lightly ran her fingers over it. “That’s it? You want Xena’s chakram?”

He nodded. “That’s it. Give me the weapon and I’ll send you back to live out the rest of your miserable, lonely life in the mortal realm.” He smirked.

Her gaze narrowed skeptically. “Are you messing with me, Michael? Because I’m not going to join your cause, no matter what twisted mind-game you’re up to now. And that couldn’t have been the deal you offered Xena. She entrusted the chakram to me for safekeeping. She knew she couldn’t take it with her when she died. So, what was the deal you offered her?”

“She was to fight for us against the demons of hell and, in exchange, I would grant her immortality. But she changed her mind.” He shook his head with a wan smile. “That’s it. See? No games, Gabrielle. I took a chance and you’re obviously not interested in the deal I’m offering you, so…” He shrugged. “Just give me the weapon and I’ll send you back to your pitiful life. Simple as that.”

With a lifted brow, she said, “You do realize Xena neutralized the God Killer’s power when she merged her chakram with it, right?”

He flinched. “What?”

“Yeah,” Gabrielle continued, as she unhooked the weapon and held it up in front of her. “There were two. Xena carried the one that Ares gave her and the other—the God Killer—was hidden away. We searched for it and found it after you sent us back, then Xena merged them into one to keep Ares from using the power of the God Killer to destroy the mortal realm. How could you not know this? I thought your god kept you in the loop on everything that happens…down there? Up there?” She looked at him in confusion. “Wherever.”

He moved closer to her and studied the weapon in her hand. “Why would Xena do such a thing? She had the power to kill every god that exists. That kind of power…”

“Was never something that Xena wanted,” Gabrielle replied. “Like I said, she did it to keep Ares from using it to destroy…”

“Yeah, yeah,” he waved her off. “I heard you the first time. What I don’t understand is why she just didn’t use it to destroy the Olympians, once and for all?”

Gabrielle returned the weapon to the hook on her belt, crossed her arms over her chest and then met his gaze. “That’s not who she is, Michael. Dying does that to a person. Dying on those crosses and ending up as demons changed both of us. Xena was tired of carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders. She wanted the killing to stop. Unfortunately, her past kept rearing its ugly head.” She sighed. “Japa was the last straw. She no longer wanted to carry around the guilt and shame of her past. I think that’s why she finally decided to just stay dead, once and for all.”

He snorted. “You really don’t know, do you?”

“Know what?” She eyed him warily.

“Xena didn’t have a choice. She couldn’t escape the afterlife in Japa. It was…” He paused for effect, then turned slightly away from her. “Let’s just say, the girl didn’t have Xena’s best interests at heart when she deceived Xena and made her believe she had to stay dead in order for the other souls to move on. But Xena chose to believe in a lie. Xena’s guilt followed her into death and kept her from moving on.”

“What? Why?” She gave him a pained look. “How is that possible? She did so much in the name of good in order to make up for all the terrible things she’d done.”

“It wasn’t enough,” he smirked. “Xena was bound by her own guilt, Gabrielle. It wasn’t until she forgave herself and chose to move on that she was finally free. That’s when she showed up here.”

“So, about that,” she shot him an accusatory glare. “Where is she? Why isn’t she here? Where did she go?”

“I really don’t know,” his smirk disappeared as he caught her look of disbelief. “Honestly. She was here and now she’s not. I had my archangels search high and low, but there’s no sign of her anywhere.” He shrugged. “It’s like she just vanished into thin air.”

“Or, maybe…” She let the thought hang as she turned away and then turned back. “Send me back to the mortal realm, Michael. The God Killer is useless to you. There’s no reason to keep me here. Please. I can still do some good with the years of life I have left. I will continue to protect Eve and make sure she is able to spread the Message. I…”

He sighed heavily and rolled his eyes in exasperation. “Eve’s work is no longer relevant. The Savior is already in the mortal realm. He is delivering a message far greater than the one Eli was given. Events are already in motion. It is just a matter of time.”

“Fine, then I’ll work for peace and justice for the rest of my life. I’ll…”

“Your efforts won’t make a difference, Gabrielle. Mankind is not ready, not yet at least, to give up on war. There will never be peace in the time you have left.”

“So, what? You’re just giving up? Just like that?” She shot back in frustration. “The Olympians are gone. Your Savior is in the world of the living. Your god has won. What more could there possibly be?”

“The demise of the Olympians was just the beginning, Gabrielle,” he said. “You have no idea what the Savior’s presence in the mortal realm will mean for future generations. There is a plan in place and there is nothing you can do to change what will be. The Savior is ushering in a new era for human kind, right at this very moment.”

“Then what am I doing here? I still have no clue what it is you want from me.”

He shifted and eyed her speculatively. “You really don’t know?”

“If I did, would I keep asking?” She sighed in exasperation.

“Your power?” He watched her closely. “Your ability to call upon the darkness to aid you?”

Bewilderment. “My…what?”

His gaze narrowed. “You really don’t know what I’m talking about, do you?”

“Not a clue.”

He put a hand to her forehead. Gabrielle suddenly felt a white-hot surge that sent Michael flying. He slammed into the wall behind him and slid to the floor in a heap. When he looked up again, there was a knowing grin on his features.

“Still don’t know what I’m talking about, Gabrielle?”

She merely stood there staring at him in dumfounded silence as he slowly got to his feet. He leaned heavily against the wall until he felt steady enough to approach her again.

“What did you do to me?” Gabrielle finally found her voice again.

“I merely touched you,” he answered. “The power within you is very strong, stronger than any Olympian ever possessed.”

“I…” She shook her head. “I don’t understand. I don’t have powers. I’m not a god.”

He moved closer and ran a finger lightly against her cheek. Blue sparks followed his finger. “Oh, I think you know exactly what it is that you possess, Gabrielle.” He turned his back on her then glanced covertly at her over his shoulder. “You’ve been given a gift—a gift from beyond the mortal realm. A dark gift, Gabrielle.”

“No,” she took several steps back. “I won’t…”

“Leave her be, Michael.”

They both turned. Another archangel stood a few paces away. Gabrielle noticed Michael cringe at the sight of the newcomer, who was nearly a full head taller and clothed in splendor the likes of which Gabrielle had never seen before. His robes were pure white and a soft glow surrounded him. He had the look and bearing of a seasoned gladiator, but with features more handsome than Adonis. Golden-blond, shoulder-length hair framed chiseled features that would have any bard tongue-tied to describe.

“Gabriel,” Michael greeted the newcomer with a slight bow of the head, but with a look in his own eyes that said he was not pleased. “What brings you…”

“You know why I’m here, Michael,” Gabriel stood his ground with grave authority. “You’ve been ignoring the summons. Now I see why.” He turned to Gabrielle and studied her with eyes the color of a clear summer sky. He continued to study her as he spoke in a commanding tone. “She does not belong here, Michael. What reason do you have for bringing a mortal into this place? You know the rules.”

“I…she…” Michael stuttered, obviously intimidated by Gabriel’s presence. “We…”

“Never mind,” Gabriel waved a dismissive hand. “Leave us. I will take care of sending her back to where she belongs.”

“Yes, Gabriel,” Michael grudgingly bowed, then cast a glance at Gabrielle without bothering to hide his irritation, before hurrying from the room.

Gabriel waited until Michael was gone, then turned his piercing blue gaze on Gabrielle again. His features remained hard and appraising as he studied her. “He means well, for the most part.” He then circled her like a predator stalking its prey. “Why did he bring you here? You’re mortal. You don’t belong. What did the two of you discuss?”

Gabrielle turned a circle to keep him in her line of sight. “I have no idea. Michael has his own agenda. Why don’t you go ask him?” She wasn’t intimidated in the least, despite the fact he towered over her like a giant.

He smiled and his expression softened considerably as he stopped in front of her. “Gabrielle.”

A blonde brow rose into her hairline. “You know my name.” It was a statement of fact, not a question.

“Indeed,” he nodded. “Daughter of Heroditas and Hecuba. Sister to Lila. Companion of Xena. Bard of Athens. Defender of Greece. Healer. Mother. God-Killer. You are a legend in your own right. Surely you must know you have played a vital role in the events that have unfolded, thus far.”

“You forgot one,” she said with a slight grin, as her expression softened. “I was Eli’s first disciple.”

He chuckled. “Yes, the first follower of the wayward prophet. He speaks highly of you, by the way. He has always had a certain fondness for you, and not just because you were the first to embrace the way of love. He genuinely enjoyed the time the two of you spent together. He talks about you all the time.”

“Oh, he does, does he?”

“You seem surprised.”

“Not really,” she relaxed slightly. “Well, that’s not quite true. I guess I’m a little surprised that Eli gave me a second thought once he…well, you know.” She waved a hand in the air. “A lot happened after he…left. And he didn’t seem to feel the need to include me in Eve’s transformation.”

“Ah,” he nodded sagely. “I see. I’m afraid he didn’t have a choice in the matter. Both Eli and Eve are part of a much greater plan that goes far beyond this present age.”

“Does that plan have anything to do with this savior Michael keeps going on about?”

“Perhaps,” he smiled warmly. “The Creator’s plan is greater than anything imaginable.”

“The Creator? That’s a new one,” she chuckled derisively.

“Creator, Father, the Great I Am, the Great Spirit, Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah—God is known by many names,” he replied with a shrug. “The Creator is the essence of love itself. The alpha and the omega—the beginning and the end. There is no greater presence in all the universe. The Creator is the essence of love and goodness. Omiscient. Omnipotent. Omnipresent. There is no other being in the universe that compares. All pale in comparison, especially the Olympians.”

“Another god?”

“No,” he shook his head. “The One, True God. All others bow before the Creator. All creation is subject to the Holiest of Holies.”

“What about the Olympians? The Titans?”

He snorted derisively. “Their power on earth was limited by the belief of their mortal followers. Their time has ended. The reign of the Creator has always been, will always be, now and forevermore. There is no limit to the grace and mercy God alone possesses.”

“Spoken like a true fanatic,” Gabrielle rolled her eyes. “Nothing in all the universe has that kind of power. It’s just crazy to think that there is only one god who rules over everything on earth. I’ve seen the Olympians—spoken to them and interacted with them on multiple occasions, in fact. They are real. They exist. Thankfully, they don’t have unlimited power. They are bound by their own set of rules. And not a single one of them has ever mentioned your god. Not one.”

“They fear what they do not know or understand,” he said. “To speak of such things is to acknowledge that the gods of Olympus were never superior to begin with. If you really think about it, their silence actually speaks volumes.”

“So, what is it you want from me? I already told Michael I’m not interested in whatever it is he’s peddling this time around.”

He moved to a nearly-invisible bench that jutted from one white wall. As he sat down on it, he studied her. “Eli said you were not one to mince words. He was right.” He smiled fondly as he beckoned her to sit next to him. “I’m here to offer you a choice, Gabrielle.”

She eyed him warily, as she cautiously sat down next to him. “And exactly what choice is that?”

“Let me first pose a question,” he said. “What is it you want more than anything else in all the world?” He watched her carefully. “What is your heart’s desire? You have traveled to faraway places, seen many different cultures and people. You have experienced the gods of other cultures. You have fought wars and become a healer. What is it you would like to do for the rest of your life? What is the one thing that would make you happy?”

She frowned as she studied him for a long moment. “Why would you ask such a thing?” She then moved to stand defiantly before him. “Didn’t you say your god is all-knowing, all-seeing and all-present?”

He smiled a half-smile. “I did. But I am not the Creator. So, answer the question. What is it that you truly, deeply desire, Gabrielle? Peace? A return to innocence? Wealth? Power? Fame? Immortality? Wisdom?” He paused for a moment. “Love?” He cocked his head slightly as he continued to study her with his piercing blue gaze. “Or is there something else that you want more than any of those things?”

She didn’t flinch, didn’t move. She met his piercing gaze defiantly. “You can’t give me what I want, Gabriel. No one can.”

“Are you so sure about that?” His expression spoke not of arrogance but of confidence.

“In more than fifteen years, no one has been able to give me what I truly desire,” she replied. “I’ve searched to the very ends of the earth. Believe me, I know. What I want—what I’ve always wanted—is beyond the reach of anyone, immortal or otherwise.”

“This is true…” he nodded, “until now.”

She took a deep breath and slowly let it out. “Exactly what is it you’re not telling me? Speak plainly.”

“Do you believe in miracles, Gabrielle?” He unfurled a pair of gossamer wings and the glow brightened and spread throughout the entire room. His wings were as white as newfallen snow and the glow from them was warm and inviting. “Do you believe with all your heart that love is stronger than any power on earth?”

“I believe in what I’ve seen,” she replied flatly. “The gods of Olympus were able to do some amazing things. Sometimes they even used their powers for the good of humankind. Mostly, though, they just satisfied their own selfish desires.”

He chuckled. “I’m not talking about your petty gods, Gabrielle. As Michael said, their time has ended. Their power was limited by the belief of their mortal followers. Those false gods preyed on the ignorance of mortals and look where it got them. The power of love goes far beyond what the Olympians had. It is not selfish and does not boast. It is the power to create the universe, mold a lifeless rock into a thriving planet, bend entire nations to its will, heal the sick and diseased, as well as bring the dead back to life.” He paused long enough to let his words sink in. “Love isn’t just a message spoken by a prophet, Gabrielle. Selfless, unconditional love is what brought us all into existence. It is what binds us together and moves us all to a greater understanding of all that we are and what we are capable of becoming. It is at the very heart and soul of every human being that has ever existed and will exist in generations to come.”

“Even Lucifer and his demons? Dahok and his followers? Krishna? Tyrants like Julius Caesar, Nero and Gurkhan?” She gave him a skeptical glare. “I hate to break it to you, but they don’t act on love, Gabriel.”

“Well, actually they do,” he countered. “It’s just not the pure and selfless kind. Theirs is a twisted version that puts selfish desires above all else. It drives humanity to do unspeakable things to each other. It is the self-serving love that leads to separation from the Creator. Power. Ambition. Greed. Vanity. Arrogance. Fear, resentment, jealousy and hate. All of these separate the righteous from the pure, unconditional love of the Holiest of Holies.”

“One god,” she snorted with a shake of her head. “I’m having a hard time believing that only one god created everything out of pure love. As I said before, I’ve met the Olympians. Not to mention Michael and his machinations. How do you expect people to believe that one god is responsible for everything that exists and that your god did it out of love? We haven’t really had reliable examples in the gods we’ve been accustomed to. And most people have never even seen Zeus, Hera, Ares, Hades, Aphrodite, Athena or the others.”

“I know. That’s why the time for change is at hand. The Savior is alive in the world in order to usher in a new chapter in the history of creation. No longer will mortals be subject to the whims of multiple gods who care only for themselves. Those days are gone. The one, true God of love is and has always been and will always be, now and forevermore. And the Savior is in the world to spread the message to all who choose to believe.”

“Like Eli’s message?”

“No,” he shook his head. “Eli was merely a prophet. His purpose was to bring the message of peace and love into the world—to pave the way for the Savior, so to speak. Once he fulfilled that purpose, his task was complete.”

“So, you’re saying his death at the hands of Ares happened to fulfill some greater purpose?”

“Yes,” he watched as anger flared in her gaze. “And the choice you made not to interfere was a courageous one, Gabrielle. Eli knew what was expected and what would become of him. That’s why he asked you not to interfere. His death was foreordained.”

She breathed in deeply and let the breath out slowly to curb her anger. “So, I’ve been a pawn all along? Xena and I?”

“In essence, yes. Both of you. Michael was merely carrying out the orders he was given.”

“Orchestrated by this god of love and light that you keep insisting will change the world.”

“Exactly,” he smiled warmly and his blue eyes shone with love and understanding. “And your purpose in the mortal realm has actually come to an end, Gabrielle.”

Her head snapped up and her gaze fixed on his. “What?”

“You and Xena fulfilled your purpose. You found each other, fought for the greater good, and brought about the Twilight of the Olympians. Despite what Michael said—and I commend you for standing firmly against him, by the way—you are no longer required to return to the mortal realm. There is no need for you to go back to that life of misery, pain, suffering and loss. There is a place for you here. Your belief in goodness and love have earned you a place in eternity.”

“And what about Aryana, Virgil and Eve? I can’t just abandon them.”

“Your selflessness is commendable, Gabrielle, but completely unnecessary at this point. I am giving you an opportunity that most mortals would jump at the chance to possess.”

She turned her back on him so he wouldn’t see the anguish on her features. “What about Xena?”

“Ah,” he stood up and walked to her, laid his hands on her shoulders, then gently turned her to face him. He could see the anguish she still carried over the loss of her soulmate in the watery green gaze that met his. “When I locate her, I will bring her to you. The two of you will spend eternity together in paradise.”

“What about the future lives we were supposed to share together? The reincarnation of our souls in India?” A tear slipped from one eye and rolled down her cheek.

He sighed. “You would give up eternity in paradise and live through countless lives of suffering, pain and anguish on earth, instead?”

“I belong there,” she said. “With Xena. We belong to each other and deserve the chance to find each other again. Your god has to know this, right? Xena and I aren’t really cut out for an eternity of peace and quiet, no matter where we end up spending it. We’re more of the fight-for-the-greater-good kind of mortals. And we work best together. I’ve been…” She swallowed noticeably.

“Yes, I know,” he nodded sagely and gently wiped the tear from her cheek. “Wait here.” He walked away a few paces, stopped and mumbled unintelligibly for several moments. “Okay,” he finally said as he turned to face her. “The love you and Xena share is something that is rare and unique. It goes far beyond the love that the vast majority of mortals feel for each other. It is nearly as pure and unconditional as the love the Creator feels for all of humanity—all of creation. You are truly blessed, Gabrielle.”

“I lost her,” she said, as emotion choked her and tears rolled freely down her cheeks.

He moved to stand before her once again and reached out to place his hands on her cheeks. “And so you shall be reunited. It is the Creator’s wish that the two of you continue to be together.” He wiped away her tears and kissed her forehead. “Fear not, Gabrielle. All of creation has felt your sorrow and weeps with you. Your heart’s desire shall be granted.”

She blinked and more tears fell. “Xena?”

He smiled and placed his hand on top of her head. She felt a surge of immeasurable peace and then…darkness.

***

“Land, ho!”

“Oh, thank the gods,” Aryana breathed a sigh of relief as she scanned the distant horizon for any sign of land.

“There is really only one God to thank, Aryana,” Eve stepped up beside her.

Aryana didn’t rise to the bait. “Do you see anything? I don’t.”

Eve rested her arms on the railing and scanned the horizon. “It’s there. I can smell it.”

“Smell what?” Aryana glanced at the diminutive woman next to her. “I don’t smell anything but salt and dead fish.” She wrinkled her nose. “I will never get used to that smell for as long as I live.”

Eve closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She held it for a moment, then let it out slowly. “Grass. Trees. Dirt. Land.”

Aryana looked skeptical as she, too, took a deep breath and let it out. “Nope. Just salt and dead fish. Gods, I can’t stand the stench of dead fish. I don’t think I’ll ever eat another fish again.”

Eve chuckled. “Fish is good for you. Far better than mutton or beef. Of course, vegetables are even better. And fruit.” She pulled an apple from a hidden pocket of her robes and took a bite. “Mm. Sweet and juicy.”

“Three days on a boat and you’re delusional. I think that storm did you in.”

Eve chuckled and took another bite of her apple. “It will be nice to reach dry land. I miss the dirt beneath my feet and the feel of grass between my toes.” She reached into the same pocket and produced another apple. “Would you like one?”

“No, thanks,” Aryana continued to search the horizon. “I’m good. I’m more of a meat and potatoes kinda girl.”

“Suit yourself,” Eve returned the fruit to her pocket. “I’ve learned that eating healthy foods and doing regular exercise is key to staying physically fit. Not to mention I feel a lot lighter when I’m not weighed down by all that grease and fat.” She glanced sidelong at her daughter.

Aryana looked down at herself and up again. “Excuse me?”

“Oh, I wasn’t calling you fat, Aryana,” Eve quickly corrected with a chuckle. “You’re the exception, like Mother. But eventually your diet will catch up to you, especially when you’re older. The body starts to slow down and all that grease and fat that you eat starts to stick with you. It’s inevitable.”

“I need to eat to keep up my strength,” Aryana reached behind her and pulled her sword from the scabbard at her back. “This thing isn’t as light as you might think. It takes strength to wield it. So, I guess I do stay pretty physically fit. Even if I do like my meat and potatotes.”

“And what do you eat in the morning, to break your fast?” Eve turned to lean her hip against the railing as she finished off her apple and tossed it overboard. “Meat and potatoes?”

“Cold mutton and cheese,” Aryana shrugged. “Or some bread and cheese. It depends.”

“No mush or grain cereal?”

Aryana turned to face Eve. “Why are you so interested in my diet? Is your god a stickler for healthy living or something?”

Eve chuckled and looked out at the horizon. “A mother’s curiosity, I suppose. I know so little about you.” She then met Aryana’s gaze. “And you’re not exactly the most forthcoming with personal information. I missed so much of your childhood. I guess I’m trying to make up for lost time. What are your likes and dislikes? What is it that motivates you? I’d like to get to know you better.”

“The stuff most mothers already know about their kids,” Aryana nodded. “Yeah, I get it. Okay, what is it you want to know?”

“What’s your favorite color?”

“Blue,” Aryana answered quickly. “And not the color of the sky. No. I like that dark, mysterious blue that almost looks black, except in the right light. The color of the depths of the ocean. The color of midnight.”

“Ah,” Eve smiled. “Favorite food?”

Aryana shot her an incredulous look. “Seriously?”

“Oh, right, meat and potatoes,” Eve nodded with an abashed smile. “What about your favorite animal?”

“A good, sturdy horse,” Aryana said. “Preferably a gelding. Mares are a bit too tempermental for my tastes. We had one in the stables at the castle that liked to bite and kick when she was breeding. She tried to take a bite out of my thigh once. I kept my distance from her after that.”

“Good to know. Did you have any good friends or a best friend growing up, perhaps?”

“Jost,” Aryana said. “We went fishing a lot when we were kids, when we weren’t in training, which really wasn’t all that often. He was a good kid. His parents had a small place not far from ours. He wanted to be a storyteller.” She shook her head and looked away. “He was a good kid.”

“Did something happen to him?”

“Yeah, he died,” Aryana swiped a tear from her cheek. “I don’t really talk about him much anymore. He went off to war and never came back. That’s all I’ll say.”

Eve put a hand on Aryana’s shoulder and squeezed. “I’m sorry. It’s hard to lose people we care about.”

“Yeah,” Aryana sniffed and straightened. “Comes with the territory, though. Jost was a sweet kid and followed me around like a puppy. He was my shadow for the longest time, until I finally challenged him to a practice sword fight. He was never as good as I was, even though we started our training at the same time. I gave him a black eye and knocked out one of his teeth. He didn’t even cry. We went fishing right after that. I had to patch him up some. He wrote a poem about it and called me a hero. I nearly threw him into the water for it.”

“That sounds like a pretty good friendship,” Eve smiled fondly. “I didn’t really have friends when I was growing up. I trained with gladiators who were afraid of leaving any marks on me. To do so would have earned them lashes or a day locked up in a deep, dark hole. Neither was an enjoyable experience.”

“Gladiators?”

“Fighting men. Mostly slaves. I was raised as the adopted daughter of a Roman emperor, with all the wealth and privilege of a spoiled child.”

“Oh, yeah, I think you mentioned something earlier,” Aryana stopped and looked at Eve in confusion. “I thought… oh, never mind.” She shook her head.

“My childhood really wasn’t a childhood at all,” Eve added. “I had secretly hoped you would have had a better one than I did.”

“I suppose I did, for the most part,” Aryana shrugged.

They stood there in silence for a time. Each lost in her own thoughts.

Aryana glanced sidelong at the woman next to her, instead of focusing on the distant horizon. She studied Eve’s angular features and tried to imagine her as the daughter of a Roman emperor, much less a fighter. There were a few small scars on Eve’s face, but none that marked her as a fighter. There were no knife or sword scars on her arms, either. Aryana noticed laugh lines and other marks of age, but other than that, Eve looked far younger than she was. She had soft skin and her hair only had a few strands of gray mixed in with the auburn.

Arayana hoped she would look as good when she was Eve’s age. Then again, she didn’t really resemble the woman all that much. Aryana’s hair was so dark that it was nearly black and her eyes were the color of violets, not mead. They didn’t even share the same body type. Where Aryana was tall and lean, with prominent muscles in her arms and legs, Eve was soft and much shorter.

“Do I look like my father?” Aryana blurted before she could catch herself. Regret in the form of a blush suffused her features. “I mean…”

“A little,” Eve replied with a hint of sadness. She turned a smile on Aryana as she added, “You have his eyes.”

“Was he tall and muscular?”

“No, not particularly,” Eve replied. “And I have no idea what color his hair was. He always kept his head completely shaved.” Eve watched her daughter as Aryana absorbed the information. “He had a good heart and was a decent soldier. He enjoyed giving orders. And he was a true Roman, loyal to a fault.”

“Is that why you killed him?”

Eve sighed. “It was a long time ago, Aryana. I was a totally different person in those days. I was focused on doing the will of the Emperor. Your father was, too. He just lost focus for a while.”

“While you were pregnant with me?”

“Yes,” Eve’s expression hardened, then softened again in the blink of an eye. “My orders were the Emperor’s orders. My word the Emperor’s. I couldn’t show weakness or mercy. Not to my second-in-command. Not to anyone. He questioned an order in front of my men. It was unacceptable. It cost him his life.”

“You really killed him? Just like that?”

“Yes.”

Aryana glanced at Eve. “Did you love him?”

Eve smiled wistfully, glanced at Aryana and looked away. “As much as I was cabable of loving anyone during those dark days of my previous life. I wasn’t a good person, Aryana. I was ruthless and focused. I was the commander of a legion of Roman centurians. I didn’t really have time for romance. Besides, I always felt like I had to prove myself to everyone around me. Not only was I a woman, but I was also the adopted daughter of Caesar Augustus. I couldn’t allow myself to feel anything for anyone.”

“Sounds…I don’t know, heartless,” Aryana said.

“I’m not that person anymore,” Eve said. “Everything changed the day Eli showed me what my life could be, if only I would follow the path of peace. So, I did.” She shrugged. “I accepted my calling and never looked back. I accepted all the pain and suffering that I caused, sought forgiveness where I could, and moved on. It hasn’t been easy, but I’ve managed.”

“And what about me? Did you ever think about coming back for me?”

“Every day,” Eve placed a hand on Aryana’s shoulder. “But I thought it best to leave things as they were. I thought you were happy in Aryndahl. You had a family who loved you and a life far, far away from Rome. Showing up out of the blue just didn’t seem right.” Eve let her hand drop. “Besides, I had my calling to fulfill. I traveled a lot and had followers who relied on me to share the message. It didn’t seem right to suddenly show up in your life and drag you away with me.”

“You never really gave me a choice,” Aryana’s tone was slightly bitter. “It’s not like I even knew you existed.”

Eve turned to fully face her. “I’m sorry, Aryana. I truly am. I wish I could go back and change the past, but I can’t. What’s done is done. All I can do—all any of us can do—is move forward and try to build a relationship from what we have right now. That is, if you’re willing. I know I am. I know I can’t be the mother you deserved as a child, but I can certainly try to be the mother you deserve now.”

“I have a mother,” Aryana said. Then her expression softened. “But I suppose I’m willing to let you tag along. Maybe my mother won’t mind meeting you.”

Eve chuckled. “We’ll see.”

They stood there in companionable silence for a while, watching the distant speck of land grow larger, until it coalesced into a strip of something tangible. Its outline rose steadily on the horizon until they could make out the shapes of buildings in the port town.

The ship sliced its way through the water until it reached the outer edge of the port. The captain ordered the anchor dropped while they were still some ways out. There were a number of other ships waiting for a chance to dock and offload their cargo, as well.

“We’ll have a dinghy take ya ta shore, once we get the all-clear,” the captain said to the two women. “Yer followers’ll have ta wait til we dock before disembarkin’. That work fer ya, Messenger? I’ll need the extra men ta help us offload.”

“That will be fine, Captain,” Eve replied. “I’ll let my people know.”

He moved away with a grunt of approval and started issuing orders to his men.

“It’ll be nice to get off this tub,” Aryana sighed in relief. “I thought he would make us wait to disembark with everyone else.”

“I’m fairly certain he wants me off his ship as soon as possible.”

“Ya think?”

 “Please don’t tell me you think I’m responsible for that storm, too,” Eve eyed Aryana. “The captain sure thinks so.”

“I think he’s just overly supersticious,” Aryana said. “Probably a sailor thing.”

“I overheard a couple of his men say that they think Poseidon caused the storm in retribution for my presence on the ship,” Eve added. “They said there’s been a lot more stormy seas since the Twilight of the Gods. I suppose these men have to blame someone.”

“So they blame you?” Aryana snorted.

“I did bring about the Twilight,” Eve said. “Not that I did it on purpose, mind you. And it wasn’t like I had a choice in the matter. I was a baby when the gods came after me and Mother did what she did to keep us alive.”

“Xena?”

Eve nodded. “Yes. They wanted me dead because of an ancient prophesy that said a child would bring about the Twilight of the Gods. Little did they know they were bringing about their own demise by coming after me. Mother didn’t take kindly to having me as a target for the fury of all the gods of Olympus. In the end it was a self-fulfilling prophecy. They were destroyed by their own hubris. At least, most of them were destroyed. There are still a few stragglers who have yet to succumb. Unfortunately for them, their followers have completely fallen away, leaving them completely powerless. The God of Eli made sure of that. It is only a matter of time before they, too, disappear from existence.”

“That’s quite the tale for the bards,” Aryana scoffed.

“It isn’t a tale,” Eve said in all seriousness. “It’s the truth. Trust me. I lived it. Xena killed Zeus, Hades and Athena, as well as several other lesser gods. Ask Gabrielle. She was there.”

“And so were you?”

“Yes,” said Eve. “The Furies turned Gabrielle against me and she tried to kill me. I don’t remember much after that. It wasn’t until I read Gabrielle’s scrolls that I realized I was the baby of the prophecy. Not to mention the vision Eli showed me when I became the Messenger.”

“That’s…” Aryana shook her head in confusion. “I guess I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around this whole thing. I mean, you being my birth mother is one thing. You being the Messenger of Eli’s god is something else entirely. And then add the whole Twilight of the Gods on top of it…It’s kinda unbelievable. I feel like I just stepped into a weird dream or something.”

“I know exactly what you mean,” Eve chuckled. “When Xena and Gabrielle showed up in Rome and explained who I really was, I didn’t believe it, either. It wasn’t until Eli’s vision that I actually started to accept who I am and where I came from. It took a while, but eventually I got used to the idea that I wasn’t just your ordinary, run-of-the-mill Roman citizen. Not that I was ever exactly ordinary to begin with.” She started toward the hatch leading to below deck. “Anyway, I’ll leave you to think about it while I go let the others know what’s going on.”

Aryana watched Eve descend belowdecks, then she turned to watch the activity in the bustling town beyond. Her mind was reeling from all the information Eve had just shared with her. It still didn’t seem real. She was the daughter of the Messenger and the granddaughter of the woman who single-handedly brought about the Twilight of the Gods. It was the stuff of legend and myth, not something that she was personally a part of. Certainly not something she could ever have imagined. She was the daughter of farmers in Arydahl, not some hero from a bard’s tale. Then again, she wasn’t really a hero, was she?

****

Xena was sick and tired of being strung along like some helpless puppet. Ares had a plan and, like always, was unwilling to share it with her. And Aphrodite was too consumed with having followers and getting some of her power back to care what her brother was up to. The two Olympians really hadn’t changed much since the good ol’ days.

“Tell me again what we’re doing here, Ares?” Xena swiped a finger over a stone altar and then held it up to examine. “This place needs a good scrubbing.”

“This place needs to be burned to the ground and rebuilt,” Ares replied absently, as he bent down to retrieve something off the floor. He lifted a rusty sword and held it up to the dim light. “No wonder I have no powers. Mortals have completely forgotten what war means.”

“Eli’s message is really getting around,” Xena smirked behind his back. “It won’t be long before peace and light completely replace fighting and war.”

His anger flared as he suddenly rounded on her. “Do not EVER…”

She held her hands up in mock surrender. “Take it easy, Ares. I was only kidding. People will always find a reason to wage war. It’s part of what makes us human. We argue. We fight. We talk about peace and love, but when it comes right down to it we just aren’t capable of setting aside our differences without killing each other to prove a point. Not to mention the whole lust for power thing.”

He narrowed his gaze and then smiled hesitantly, shaking a finger at her. “You are exactly right, Xena. I just need to find a few loyal followers to clean this place up and get things back on track.” He studied the interior of the temple for a few moments. “If Aphrodite can find followers in this stinkin’ city, then so can I.”

“Yay,” Xena said flatly. She sat down on a stone bench and watched him disinterestedly.

“Once I have my powers back, I will send all the legions of Rome to round up those stinkin’ followers of Eli and…”

She leapt to her feet. “Don’t you dare hurt Eve, Ares.”

It was his turn to hold up his hands in mock surrender. “Yeah, yeah. I’ll leave your daughter out of it, Xena. I made a promise and I intend to keep it.”

She looked skeptical. “I’m holding you to it, Ares. Your godhood for Eve’s life. And Aryana’s, too.”

“I always keep my word, Xena,” his dark eyes flashed. “You of all people should know that.”

She sat back down again and looked around. “Tell me again what we’re doing here?”

He picked up a goblet and tossed it over his shoulder. “Looking for something.”

“What, exactly?”

He walked over to a cabinet and opened it, then closed it again. A cloud of dust exploded into the air. “It has to be here. It was here the last time.”

“There’s nothing here but spiders, dust and grime, Ares.”

He set his hands on his hips and glanced around thoughtfully. “No one knew it was here.”

“What?”

He suddenly snapped his fingers and headed toward a blank wall. “I remember now.” He started feeling along the wall until he stuck his hand inside an opening that was covered in thick spider webs and dust. He yanked hard and the wall slid open to reveal a secret room. “Yep. I knew it was still here.”

Xena watched him disappear inside the room and then reappear again with a grungy red stone in his hands. “The Eye of Hephestus?”

He grinned. “The Eye of Hephestus!” He held the stone up in triumph, as a soft, red glow emanated from deep within. He lowered it and cradled it in his hands. “I can feel its power pulsing with energy.” The stone actually pulsed with a dull red glow. “Now all I need is followers. Not enough to raise the alarm upstairs. Just enough to restore my powers.”

Xena stood with arms crossed over her chest. “Seriously? Have you learned nothing from all that’s happened? The god of Eli is not going to let you regain your powers, Ares. You know it’s only a matter of time before Michael and his archangels pay you a visit and destroy you, once and for all.”

He turned toward a granite throne cut into the side of the cave wall. There was a small indention carved atop the throne. Ares walked over to it and placed the Eye of Hephestus into the indention. It snapped into place with a loud click. A flash of red light engulfed Ares. He spread his arms wide as he absorbed the crystal’s power. A wide grin spread across his features as he relished the power that emanated from him.

“Yes! Yes! That is exactly what I’m talking about!”

Xena shook her head and rolled her eyes. “Is it actually working?”

The beam suddenly died and Ares slumped.

“Thanks, Xena.” He doubled over and tried to catch his breath. “For once, couldn’t you give me one little moment? Just one? I felt it. It was there.”

“I’m not human anymore, Ares,” Xena said. “I think you need actual flesh-and-blood followers to bring back your full power. The Eye alone can’t really help you.”

He sighed. “You’re right. I hate it that you’re totally right. Arrrrrrrr!” He slammed a fist into the stone throne and shrieked in pain. “In the name of all the…Ow! That really hurt!” He shook out his hand while Xena just chuckled.

“I told you so,” she moved to the mouth of the cave, then turned back. “Are you coming? Or are you going to stay here and wallow?”

He held his hand close to his chest. “Why are you laughing? Are you laughing at me?”

“Yes, Ares,” Xena answered as she left the cave. “You’re acting like an idiot.”

He reluctantly followed her outside. “And you’re acting like an arrogant…”

“Ghost?” She stopped and turned back to him. Out in the sunlight, her image disappeared. All there was of her was a vague distortion and a disconnected voice.

“It’s really weird when that happens.”

“What?”

“You’re not there. I can’t see you anymore.”

“I’m a ghost. At least I accept what I am. Unlike some people.”

“Yes, I know. I’m just used to actually being able to see you. When we were up there,” he pointed to the sky above. “I could actually see you, even in the light. It was like you were there. And in the cave…”

“I’m still here, Ares,” she said. “I can’t control what you see or don’t see.”

He walked over to a boulder and sat down, all the while nursing his sore hand. “What’s it like?”

“What’s what like?”

“Being dead.”

There was a long silence. Long enough for Ares to look around him. “Xena?”

“I’m still here” she said quietly. “Being dead sucks. When I was in the afterlife in Japa it was…” She paused. “Their afterlife is a lot different than ours. When you die, your ancestors are there to guide you to paradise.” Another long pause. “I didn’t have any ancestors there, so I was alone. I figured out ways to move around and managed to climb to the top of Mt. Fuji. I spent a lot of time up there. The view gave me hope. But it was still lonely.”

“Kinda like Olympus now. There’s no one there. It’s…” He swallowed hard. “There’s no one. All of them are gone.”

“Yeah.”

“Yeah,” he cleared his throat. “So, how’d you escape?”

She chuckled. “I had a persistent visitor who told me I needed to give up my pretense.”

He frowned. “What pretense? You were dead. You are dead.”

Another chuckle. “Yes, but he told me I didn’t have to stay there. There wasn’t anything anchoring me to that place, except my own insecurities. I had no ancestors there. I was clinging to a lie.” She sighed. “She lied. Akemi lied when she told me I had to atone for a mistake that I made years ago. Long before Borias. Long before Solan. Long before Gabrielle. Long before Eve. I thought I could be a hero again, even in Japa’s version of the afterlife.”

“That sounds really stupid, Xena.”

“Yeah, thanks. My visitor said the same thing. He didn’t really mince words, either.”

“Who was this visitor of yours?”

“I have no idea. Doesn’t matter. Just some ancient, forgotten soul. Or maybe he was one of their wise men.”

“So, some random old dude tells you you’re being stupid and you believe him?” Ares snorted. “But someone else lies to you and you believe them?” He laughed outright. “I don’t understand you.”

“Welcome to the club,” Xena sighed again. “I had the chance to come back. Gabrielle was about to put my ashes in the Fountain of Life on Mt. Fuji, but I stopped her.” She shook her head. “I should have just let her bring me back.”

He shook his own head. “Stupid.”

“Yeah.”

A long silence passed between them. Then Ares got up and started walking.

Xena turned. “Where are you going?”

He stopped and glanced at her over his shoulder. “I don’t know about you, but I’m done wallowing.” He slammed a fist into his open palm, turned and resumed his purposeful strides. “Time to get my mojo back.”

Xena rolled her eyes with an incredulous sigh. “Oh, goody,” she said under her breath.

***

Continued in Part 10

Author's Page

Return to the Academy