It's In The Subtext, Gabrielle

by Kristien Damon
a.k.a. Lawlsfan

Certainly don’t know what dark recesses this one sprang from folks but I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Alternative Sexual Content: Nope, no sex. Hmm, or is there?? Subtext? Knock, knock Gabrielle. Some folks could possibly read between the lines and be offended. So, if you are offended by two grown women loving each other intimately then...well you know the drill, run away and read something else, quickly.

Spoilers: None.

Xena: Warrior Princess, its characters, and all related materials are the property of MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures © 1995-2000. 

Completed on 1/21/00.

Feedback is always welcome at: lawlsfan@xenaeyes.com. Don’t be shy, tell me how you feel.<g>

Now on with it...


Dear Xena,

It’s been a fine visit in Poteideia so far. At first all my friends could do nothing else but marvel and coo over how I managed to come back in one piece from my adventures with you. That was a joke; you can smile.

Mother is getting on much better now. The fever has nearly disappeared and she is now able to eat some broth and keep it down. I expect she’ll be up and around again in no time. She’s got the will of a griffin in heat; you certainly can’t keep her down.

Lila said to tell you hello and to thank you for keeping me safe on the road. So here goes: thank you Xena, for keeping me safe on the road not to mention helping me to learn to keep myself safe, among other things. I miss traveling with you and can’t wait to get back out there as soon as mother is on her feet again.

I hear mother calling.

More later,
Gabrielle

******

Gabrielle,

I’m happy to hear that your mother is doing better. Give her my best, and to Lila as well. And really, no thanks are necessary. Just fix me some of those little dumplings with the red stuff inside when you get back.

Oh by the way, Argo really misses you and that’s no joke.

X

******

Dear Xena,

Well mother is so much better now. She’s actually gained back some of the weight she lost and is starting to look and feel like her old self before the fever hit. Lila will be off to Athens in the morning to pursue her dream of acting. She didn’t want to leave but I assured her that I could handle things with mother until she’s well enough to do all the household chores on her own.

So Argo misses me huh? Funny, I always thought that horse hated me. Some animals just have funny ways of showing they care. By the way Xena, I miss you too. Try to stay out of harm’s way until I can get back out there to you. You need me to watch your backside. Gosh, we really don't know how much some things mean to us until they’re not there in front of our face every day do we?

Hope to see you soon,
Gabrielle

******

Gabrielle,

Argo really, really does MISS you and I know she likes you a lot more than she’d ever admit to. It just seems to scare her to think about how much, so she has a tendency to balk and bolt. But I also know that she really enjoys the way you always run your fingers through her mane when you’re having a serious chat with her. I’ll bet you never noticed how her skin often shivers under your touch did you?

Wish Lila ‘break a leg’ for me.

Have to go now. Just thinking about you has got ARGO all excited. I’ll have to try my best to calm her down.

X

******

Dear Xena,

You know I’m starting to get concerned that you’ve gotten into some henbane-laced nutbread or something. Argo and I have never been that close. I’m telling you that horse hates me. Although come to think of it there was that time when she actually did save my life so I guess she must like me a little. But I can honestly say I’ve never felt her shiver under my touch -- snort and stomp and whinny in irritation, but never shiver. Maybe that’s the scared response you’re referring to? Anyway, are you all right warrior princess? Just take it easy on whatever it is you ate or drank, Ok.

I had a visitor this morning. His name is Devrus and he’s quite handsome. Seems we have lived within a stone’s throw most of my life and never noticed each other until now. He’s quite a successful shopkeeper here in the city, and quite single. He loves to write and he’s very caring and gentle and compassionate, but also strong and brave. I don’t know Xena, he could be the one. That is if I were to stay here in Poteideia, which I’m not sure I want that right now. I’m rather enjoying the adventurous life with you. But settling down would have its benefits. I'm not getting any younger. I’m tempted. Maybe he’s got a brother you could meet.

Well have got to get to the chores. Mother is rapidly improving and should be fully recovered very soon. Tell Argo to hang in there and give her a stroke for me. I miss you BOTH.

Truly,
Gabrielle

******

Dear Xena,

I hope this letter finds you and finds you well. I’m worried that I haven’t heard from you for some time. But I have not received any bad news yet so I’ll cling to the hope that no news is good news. There could be any number of reasons why, you're so far away and maybe my last letter just didn't get to you yet. Or maybe yours got lost along the way. I'm going to think positive. I need to right now. Too much has happened.

By the gods, where are you warrior princess? Not only haven’t I heard from you, but yesterday Devrus fell off the roof of his shop and was killed. It was a freak accident they tell me. He was wearing the new red shirt I had made for him; well that mother had made for him actually. Apparently it got caught on the edge of the ladder when he tried to climb down from doing some repairs and while trying to release the snag he lost his balance and fell backward into the neighbor’s boar trough. Knocked himself out cold. I suppose it’s a blessing that he was knocked out because those boars weren’t too happy to see him in their trough. And you know, irritated boars can be rather vicious creatures. Well to spare the gory details, when they found him there wasn’t anything left but a few tattered remnants of that red shirt. I had to identify him. It wasn't easy. I had to look close for mother's special stitching, that was the only way.

Here’s a knock at the door and I’m hoping it’s some good news for once. Please write soon, if and when you receive this.

Thinking of you always and wishing you well,
Gabrielle

******

Dear gods Xena,

What can I say besides thank Argo for finally enlightening me as to her true feelings with that totally unexpected visit and roll in the hay last eve. Last thing I expected when I opened that door was to be sitting here today thinking, my gods, I never knew that hay could smell so sweet. Of course rolling in it also creates itches that need to be scratched for days afterward. Oh don’t worry, I’ll make do on my own, for now. Gosh, the hayloft may never be the same, at least not for me. Father is out there working as I write this, if he only knew. I should say, the cow's milk will most certainly be sweeter for eating that hay he's tossing. Yep, if he knew, he'd probably burn down the barn.

So, ARGO really does LIKE me doesn’t she? Funny how we could travel together for this long and not have realized before now just how much. I have to admit I’ve always wondered what it would be like to climb on board and just feel the unfettered and unbridled power of her exploding beneath me - - and only for me. Now I know, and whew what a ride! Sweet mother of Zeus warrior, keep that saddle cinched up til I get back out there! On the other hand of course, bareback is my preferred method. Gods, I loved the feel of her soft muzzle under my hand, her strong body between my legs leaving me strained and aching. Please tell ARGO that as soon as I see her again, I want to run my fingers through her mane and stroke her silken hide until it shivers uncontrollably then do it all over again, and again, and again. Wish she hadn't had to trot away so soon. I sure feel like going for a ride right now. I'll make do.

Oh by the way, we buried the red shirt today. I'm sure he's gone to Elysia.

See you soon.

Love You,
G

******

Dear G,

Argo says, ‘glad you enjoyed the ride’. She enjoyed it too. Matter of fact she's still shivering. Hurry home bard. We NEED you to unbridle her again. Don't worry, we'll make do for now. Oh and don't forget those dumplings. My mouth is watering already.

Always,
X

******

Dear G,

You there?

X

 

Return to the Academy