Bless you

Part 17

by

Lois Kay

Casey Planters raked her fingers through her hair in frustration, not aware it caused her it to stick up at odd angles. Right now there were only a few things she really cared about; her integrity as a reporter and the reliability of the story she was going to tell were the most important ones. She glanced at the door of the room where Charles Benoit was currently talking to his doctor. His wife was at his side, ready to take him home. Ever since he had arrived at the hospital, she hadn't had the chance to talk to him. She had so many questions, and the most important one was if he knew about Eva Clemente and Sigrid Myers’ whereabouts. It would be very helpful if she could talk to the Inspector, but Eva was nowhere to be found and had not answered her phone.

The door of Charles'room opened and the doctor stepped out, followed by a nurse. They were both smiling which Casey found reassuring. For a brief period of time, just after Charles was shot, she had been afraid for his life. Sigrid's unexpected appearance and her assessment of the situation had somewhat reassured her. But Casey was a reporter without any medical training and the sight of the copious amount of blood on Charles’ jacket, had made her queasy.

"Come in, Casey," Charles’ voice rang out from behind the door.

She quickly stepped inside and smiled when she saw him sitting on the edge of the bed, fully dressed and ready to put his shoes on.

"Are they letting you go?"

"Thank goodness, they are. I need to take it easy for a while, but according to the Doctor I'll be as good as new by the time fishing season comes around."

"I'm happy to hear that, I was worried about you." Casey turned to Charles's wife and extended her hand. "Hi, I'm Casey Planters and I'm writing an article on the case your husband has been working on."

"Which apparently is one of his most intense ones." Casey's hand disappeared in a firm grip. "I am Diane, Charles' wife. It's nice to meet you, Casey. Even though this case could have caused Chuck here not to make it until his retirement."

"I realize that," Casey said. "It's very frightening, but hopefully this will all be behind us soon." She turned to Charles and sent him a questioning look. He nodded and turned his attention to his wife.

"Honey, if you get the car, I'll ask one of the nurses to wheel me out of this place. I can't wait to have some decent food."

Diane Benoit stood from her chair and walked to the door, where she turned around and winked. "I know the two of you want to discuss this case, so I'll get the car and make sure to walk very slowly."

Casey smiled. "Thank you."As soon as the door closed, she turned to Chuck, who immediately held up one hand in order to stop her from asking any questions.

"I don't know, I honestly don't."

Casey leaned against the windowsill and slowly shook her head. "You don't even know what I was about to ask."

"I bet you want to know where Eva is."

"And Sigrid."

"I don't know. I really don't, Casey. I saw Eva last night when she snuck in here after she was done at the Podunk police station. She didn't tell me where she was going and I didn't ask."

"I thought this was your case as well." Casey did not sound very pleased.

"It was, until I got shot. There's no way I can help her now, not since they put me on medical leave. Besides, you know as well as I do since there's a leak in the department, she will not contact me."

Casey frowned. "Why not? You are her partner, or doesn't she trust you anymore?"

Charles shook his head. "No, that's not it. I know she trusts me, hell, I think I'm probably the only one she trusts in the department right now. Eva knows I can't help her right now, she's on her own. Even contacting each other on the phone will be too risky, because we don't know if we are being watched."

"Jesus, Chuck, this case is getting more complicated by the minute."

"At least it proves that you're right, someone in DC is involved in this and has someone in my department in his pocket and I think we both know who that is. That's why I don't want Eva to contact me. When she left here last night she was still in one piece, and I'd like to keep it that way. She's not just my partner; she's a good friend as well."

"What about Sigrid Myers?"

"What about her?"

Casey sighed and again raked her fingers through her hair. "Come on, Chuck, you know what I mean. Don't make this any harder for me than it already is." She cast a look at the door and lowered her voice. "Is she with Eva?"

"I can only tell you my theory, Casey, because I honestly don't know for sure. Again, Eva did not tell me and I didn't ask. The less I know, the better it is."

"But there's an arrest warrant out for Sigrid. If Eva gets caught in her presence, she'll be in trouble."

"She already is in trouble," Charles mumbled. "And I'm not sure if she is with Sigrid; I would assume she is, but like I said I'm not sure. And I don't want to know."

"The kid, the one who was arrested yesterday, the one who shot you, where does he tie in?"

"I do have a theory about that also," Chuck said, grinning when he saw Casey roll her eyes. "Seriously, it seems like all of this is connected, Casey. But I think if anyone can make sense out of this, it's you. That's what you do, right, investigative reporting? The files you showed me I shared with Eva, so she has them. And knowing her, she'll get to the bottom of it."

"And that is exactly why I want to talk to her," Casey said in a hushed whisper. "We can help each other."

"I know and I appreciate that, but she needs to stay out of sight. She'll contact you when the time is right. Trust me. In the meantime, keep digging, you're onto something big, but whatever you do, be careful." Charles’ face had lost any trace of humor. "Whoever is behind all of this is willing to kill for it."

***

Sigrid was in that wonderful place between sleeping and waking; she was vaguely aware of her surroundings, but still too sleepy to interact with it. She was warm and comfortable and was lying on her side, with her cheek resting on something soft. The surface slightly moved and Sigrid opened her eyes. Immediately, a smile tugged on the corner of her mouth; she was draped across Eva, using her as a body pillow. Sigrid let out a happy sigh and closed her eyes, slowly taking inventory of her body. Her right arm was hugging Eva around the waist, while her right leg was tangled with Eva's. Her cheek rested on a very soft breast and she could feel Eva's arms snugly wrapped around her. It was a great way to wake up and Sigrid hoped Eva would stay asleep for a few more hours, so she could enjoy their closeness. It felt so right to wake up like this. It was like they had been sleeping like this for a long time already, attuned to each other even in sleep.

"Whatever you do, don't move," Eva's voice whispered in her ear.

"I had no intention of doing that," Sigrid said. She gave Eva's waist a gentle squeeze and snuggled closer. "By the way, I thought you were still asleep."

"Nope, just really enjoying this moment," Eva smiled.

"Good. Is there any chance of you going back to sleep?"

"Maybe, although I wouldn't be able to enjoy this so much if I'm asleep."

"True." Sigrid moved just an inch so she could press a kiss against a conveniently close shoulder. "Can we stay like this and hold on to this moment for a while longer?"

"I wish we could, I really do, but we need to disappear before anyone finds us here."

Sigrid pushed herself up a little. "I was afraid you're going to say that, but you're right, we have some puzzles to solve." She was about to roll away from Eva's warm body when the arms around her tightened.

"I know I said we need to disappear, but I didn't mean right now." Eva chuckled when Sigrid let out a soft groan and buried herself in her embrace.

For a brief moment they were quiet, just enjoying each other's presence. But then Sigrid's head shot up and she looked at Eva with a startled expression on her face. "Did I really see you naked last night, or was I dreaming? If it was a dream, it was a really good one."

"If you can't remember, I mustn't have made much of an impression." Eva laughed softly and playfully tugged on a strand of blond hair.

"Didn't I just say that if it was a dream, it was a really good one?" Sigrid rolled over until she was lying on top of Eva. She kissed the tip of her nose and smiled. "So you were naked."

"It's hard to shower with clothes on," Eva said. "So yes, I was naked."

"I'm glad it wasn't a dream, because now I can file it away among my memories; my favorite ones."

"You are such a flatterer." Eva laughed. She moved her hand to the back of Sigrid’s head and gently pulled her closer. "How about a kiss?" she whispered.

"I thought you'd never ask," Sigrid said before her lips met Eva's in a kiss that began gentle and slow, but soon increased in depth and intensity. There was no fighting for dominance; just a mutual exploration of passion, attraction and affection that left both women breathless and longing for more. Somehow, Eva's hands ended up underneath Sigrid's T-shirt. She reveled in the feel of the soft skin and for a moment the rest of the world faded out, until the loud and annoying buzzing of her cell phone pierced through her sensual haze.

"Don't answer that," Sigrid breathed against Eva’s lips.

The request was tempting and at the moment there was nothing Eva wanted more. After a brief moment of hesitation though, she reached out to grab the cell phone she had put on the nightstand. "I am really, really sorry," she said, noticing how hoarse her voice was. She gently cleared her throat. "Sigrid, you have no idea how much I want this, but this is not the time nor the place. I want to keep you safe, keep us safe, and that means we'll have to figure out who was involved in Michael Bell's murder and the trafficking." She pressed her lips against Sigrid's forehead, noticing the heat of her flushed skin. "I'm sorry."

Sigrid lifted her head and managed a weak smile. "No, you're right, we have a job to do." Her fingertips gently touched Eva's swollen cheek. "Rain check?"

Eva smiled and pulled Sigrid closer. "Absolutely, as a matter of fact, I'll give you my entire checkbook."

Sigrid chuckled and gently nipped at the skin underneath her lips, immediately feeling Eva jerk. "Oh, a sensitive spot, I'll need to remember that." She slowly pulled away and rolled off Eva, giving her the chance to check her messages. "Did you get any important updates?"

Eva who was looking at the small screen in her hand glanced up and nodded. "You can say that," she said with a smile. "Yesterday, I reached out to one of my contacts. I just received an answer."

***

The wind was bitter cold and was cruelly cutting through layers of clothes. It came rolling down the plains like a giant, invisible finger, chilling everything it touched. There was no shelter except the large hangar that sat beside the abandoned airstrip. A small jet was slowly moving away from the hangar and stopped when it reached the airstrip. Two figures dressed in long warm coats hurried toward the small aircraft. As soon as they boarded, the door closed and the jet pointed its nose toward the North. Within a few minutes it was airborne and it did not take long for it to be completely out of sight. Inside the jet, the two figures had taken off their coats and relaxed in the comfortable chairs.

"I could get used to traveling like this," the one closest to the window said.

The other one smiled. "Enjoy it while you can; next time it will be economy class again." Long legs were stretched out. "But I've got to admit, it's a great way to travel.Maine, here we come."

***

Betty had insisted on sending Eva and Sigrid on their way only after they had a decent breakfast. So she had treated them to hash browns, pancakes and eggs, accompanied by freshly brewed coffee.

"I'm glad to see the two of you have good appetites," she said while topping off Eva's coffee.

"We didn't get much to eat yesterday, so this is really appreciated," Sigrid said. "Thank you so much, Betty."

"It's my pleasure, honey," Betty gave Sigrid a friendly pat on the shoulder. "I only wish there was more I could do."

Eva looked up from her plate. "Actually, there is something you can do," she said. "If you have the chance, please visit the children today, I'm sure they are craving to see a familiar face."

"I'm sure Morgan is going to ask where you are. What can I tell her?"

"The truth," Sigrid said. "Tell her we're chasing the bad guys." She took a sip from her coffee and then made a face because it was hot. "And it would be great if you and the girls could be around when Morgan's sister arrives."

"We will. As a matter of fact, I spoke to the girls this morning and in a couple of hours we'll head to the hospital. We'll make sure Morgan and her sister will be taken good care of." Betty paused and sank into a chair next to Eva. "I'm smart enough not to ask where you're going, but I'd like you to let me know you're okay every now and then. Of course, only when you're able. I care about you, about both of you."

Sigrid reached across the table and grabbed Betty's hand. "I promise we will," she said. "But don't get too worried if you don't hear from us for a couple of days, okay?"

Betty nodded and squeezed Sigrid’s hand. "I'll try not to, but I can't promise. Just keep each other safe and catch the bastards responsible for those kids’ suffering."

"That's the plan, Betty," Eva reached for her phone that was buzzing again. She quickly pulled itout of her pocket and her eyes scanned the display. She looked up and sent Sigrid a smile. "It's time to go."

***

"I don't have to tell you how preposterous it is that you don't even know where she is. I thought you had a tail on her."

"I did, the idiot lost her. Of course, Eva Clemente is not stupid; she must have known she was being followed."

"If she was aware of that, she's also aware of you. And it's only a matter of time before she figures out my involvement. So, hot shot, what are you going to do about that?"

"I'm working on it. My guess is she's going into hiding and she's taking the pastor with her."

"Do you think they are together?"

"I'm certain. Clemente is extremely conscientious and would never abandon her charge."

"For God's sake then, cast out a net and put an ABP out for both of them. We can't have her jeopardize this organization. Are you aware of what's in the balance? Both our futures depend on this, unless you'd like to spend the rest of yours behind bars."

"What if the Feds get wind of this?"

"As far as I know, they don't have a clue. And I would like to keep it that way, so get to work and find that bitch."

"What about the kids?"

"They are lost to us. And yes, that's coming out of your paycheck."

***

"Where are we going?" Sigrid glanced at Eva who was steering the car through the back streets of the small town. "I know you have a plan and it would be nice if you could share it with me."

"Remember that message I received this morning, early this morning?"

"How could I forget? It ruined a perfectly good moment." Sigrid smiled when Eva chuckled.

"That it did," Eva said. "It came from my brother, Felix. He is expecting us and will make sure no one, not even the rest of my family, will know where we are."

Sigrid glanced aside with a frown and shot Eva a quizzical look. "I'm a little puzzled. If I was the one chasing you, the first place I'd look would be with your family. And I know you probably have a perfectly good reason for this, but I don't understand."

"I have good reason to believe my Captain is involved in all of this. I've worked with him for years and he knows me. He also knows about my family, so yes, logically the first place to look for me is with my family, but that is so obvious he'll think I won't be doing that. Still, he can't afford to take the chance that he's wrong and he'll have someone keep an eye on my family, just in case I show up." Eva paused and shot Sigrid a look. "Does that make sense?"

"In a strange way, yes. It also sounds like you're playing chess; preparing for and reacting to anticipated moves. Why Felix, though? Granted, I've only briefly met your family but it didn't seem to me like you and Felix were particularly close. Is it because he is a police officer, also?"

"Yes and no. As a police officer, he will have no choice but to arrest you when he sees you. And I’m not givingmyself any illusions; I'm pretty sure my name will be right up next to yours by now."

"So, Bobby Fischer, where's the logic in this?"

"I have a big family with lots of places to hide. Sometimes the best place to hide isin plain sight. Besides, there is truth in your observations; Felix and I have a strained relationship, but that doesn't mean we don't care about each other. He's my brother and I’d do anything for him. He feels the same way about me, which is exactly why he's putting his career on the line and helping us."

Sigrid reached out and put a hand on Eva’s knee, somehow needing the physical contact. The gesture was also meant as an encouragement for Eva, because by the way she was clenching the steering wheel, Sigrid could tell she was struggling with some unpleasant thoughts. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"That would only be fair. We almost talked about it before, remember the day we left my family?" From the corner of her eye, Eva saw Sigrid nod. "You were asking about Iris and me."

"I remember that," Sigrid said, using her fingertips to rub soothing circles on Eva’s knee. "If it's too hard to talk about right now, we could talk later."

Eva shook her head. "No, I want you to know before we get there." She took a deep breath, grateful they were driving on a very quiet road. "I told you Felix's wife was killed in a car accident. She was hit by a drunk driver."

"Yes, I remember. Your niece was seriously injured," Sigrid said in a soft voice.

"The drunk driver was my ex." Eva swallowed hard. "I had broken up with her a few months before.She had a drinking problem she refused to address. The day of the accident I had stopped by her place to pick up some of my things. She tried to convince me to come back, said she had changed, but I could smell the alcohol on her breath and it was only early morning. After I left, she continued to drink heavily and when she ran out of liquor she decided to drive to the store. It was early evening then and Lisaand the kids were just returning from visiting her parents. My ex was speeding, lost control of the vehicle and plowed into my sister-in-law." There was a brief silence. "Both Lisa and Kate, my ex, died instantly and Maura was critically injured. It was a miracle that Felix Junior didn't have a scratch."

Sigrid’s heart went out to Eva when she heard the pain in her voice. She could only imagine what the Clemente family had gone through that day and ever since. It was hard to find words that would convey how Eva's story had touched her, so she didn't try. She left her hand on Eva’s thigh, feeling the taut muscles underneath her palm. "Did you blame yourself?" Sigrid asked in a soft voice, already knowing what the answer would be.

"Wouldn't you?"

"I'm not sure. Even though it's illogical, it does seem like an understandable first reaction. You must realize now though that it had nothing to do with you. She already had a drinking problem when you left her, so it's not like you were the cause of it." Eva remained silent and Sigrid slowly nodded. "You still blame yourself, don't you?"

"I know it doesn't make any sense, because it's like you said, I didn't cause her drinking problem, but still, I can't help wondering if things would've been different had I not stopped by that day to pick up my things."

"Does Felix feel the same?"

"He had to be angry at someone and I know he was angry with me, even though he never really said that out loud." Eva sighed. "He probably doesn't feel that anymore, but it strained our relationship."

"Did the two of you ever talk about it?"

Eva shook her head. "No, we haven't. I tried to be there for him after the accident, but I was so numb with grief and guilt I probably wasn't much of a help. I threw myself into my job and avoided going home. The only time they saw me was during holidays."

"That must have been difficult for you."

"Not just for me, for everybody. And then sometime last year, Iris all of a sudden stood on my doorstep and she read me the riot act." There was a small smile on Eva's face. "If you think you've seen everything, you haven't seen a fuming Iris Clemente."

"That bad, huh?" Sigrid thought back at the evening she spent with Eva's family and tried to picture any of them being furious. "I admit it's hard to imagine."

"Iris and I have always been very close, maybe because we’re close in age or just because we’re so much alike. She was brutally honest with me and I think that was exactly what I needed. Ever since, I've tried to accept the fact that the accident was not my fault. Still, every time I see Felix or Maura there still is this nagging guilt in the back of my head."

"Eventually, that too will disappear," Sigrid said.

"I hope so, I really do." Eva glanced aside. "I guess every now and then I need somebody to remind me to let that guilt go."

"I'll remind you as often as needed," Sigrid promised. There was a brief silence and then she chuckled. "I just realized that sounds really presumptuous."

Eva released her right hand from the steering wheel and covered Sigrid's that was still resting on her thigh. "Actually, it doesn't." She squeezed Sigrid's fingers. "Just let me know if I am moving too fast, but I really like the sound of you being around often."

"You are moving fast, but so am I. Somehow it all feels right, though, so I'm not worried about it." Sigrid lifted Eva’s hand, bringing it to her lips and pressing a soft kiss against the warm skin. "You make me feel things I haven't felt in a very long time and I like that, so please don't apply any brakes."

A few hours later, they had approached the Rockland area without any problems. It didn't seem like anybody was following them and traffic had been light, so they had been able to make good time. The few times Sigrid had offered to drive, but Eva had politely refused saying that she really knew the area well and if needed she'd be able to take the back roads.

"Shouldn’t we have taken that exit?" Sigrid pointed to the junction they just passed.

"We're going a little more north. Felix owns a property near Lincolnville. It's not rented out at this moment, so we’re able to use it. It's a nice place with a great view of the Penobscot Bay." Eva smiled." I'm pretty sure you'll like it."

"Any view over any water I like," Sigrid laughed. "You might have to remind me we're not on vacation."

"Don't worry, I will."

"Have you talked to your mother lately?"

The question was fairly unexpected and Eva raised her brows in surprise. "Not since we left. Why?"

"I know it's silly, I was just wondering how Minnie is doing," Sigrid said in a slightly shy voice.

"That's not silly at all. You're talking to the daughter of a veterinarian, remember? When I went to college I kept pestering my parents for updates on my dog," Eva said. "I never knew I could miss that mutt so much."

"It's just that Minnie has been with me for years and it's weird not to have her around. One of my favorite things to do at the end of the day is to curl up on the couch with a book, a cup of tea and a purring cat. To me, that’s somehow very therapeutic."

"It sounds relaxing." Eva smiled. "Maybe this evening you can curl up with a book, a cup of tea and me. I can't promise I'd purr, though."

Sigrid laughed and playfully swatted Eva across the stomach. "I'd hope not, although it would be interesting to hear you purr." She took a breath and slowly shook her head. "That thought just brought on a lot of interesting images," she confessed, making Eva laugh out loud. "But I think right now it's best justto ignore them. So, Inspector, do you like fishing?"

To be continued in part 18

Feedback is welcome at lois@hotmail.com

Bless you

Part 17

by

Lois Kay

Casey Planters raked her fingers through her hair in frustration, not aware it caused her it to stick up at odd angles. Right now there were only a few things she really cared about; her integrity as a reporter and the reliability of the story she was going to tell were the most important ones. She glanced at the door of the room where Charles Benoit was currently talking to his doctor. His wife was at his side, ready to take him home. Ever since he had arrived at the hospital, she hadn't had the chance to talk to him. She had so many questions, and the most important one was if he knew about Eva Clemente and Sigrid Myers’ whereabouts. It would be very helpful if she could talk to the Inspector, but Eva was nowhere to be found and had not answered her phone.

The door of Charles'room opened and the doctor stepped out, followed by a nurse. They were both smiling which Casey found reassuring. For a brief period of time, just after Charles was shot, she had been afraid for his life. Sigrid's unexpected appearance and her assessment of the situation had somewhat reassured her. But Casey was a reporter without any medical training and the sight of the copious amount of blood on Charles’ jacket, had made her queasy.

"Come in, Casey," Charles’ voice rang out from behind the door.

She quickly stepped inside and smiled when she saw him sitting on the edge of the bed, fully dressed and ready to put his shoes on.

"Are they letting you go?"

"Thank goodness, they are. I need to take it easy for a while, but according to the Doctor I'll be as good as new by the time fishing season comes around."

"I'm happy to hear that, I was worried about you." Casey turned to Charles's wife and extended her hand. "Hi, I'm Casey Planters and I'm writing an article on the case your husband has been working on."

"Which apparently is one of his most intense ones." Casey's hand disappeared in a firm grip. "I am Diane, Charles' wife. It's nice to meet you, Casey. Even though this case could have caused Chuck here not to make it until his retirement."

"I realize that," Casey said. "It's very frightening, but hopefully this will all be behind us soon." She turned to Charles and sent him a questioning look. He nodded and turned his attention to his wife.

"Honey, if you get the car, I'll ask one of the nurses to wheel me out of this place. I can't wait to have some decent food."

Diane Benoit stood from her chair and walked to the door, where she turned around and winked. "I know the two of you want to discuss this case, so I'll get the car and make sure to walk very slowly."

Casey smiled. "Thank you."As soon as the door closed, she turned to Chuck, who immediately held up one hand in order to stop her from asking any questions.

"I don't know, I honestly don't."

Casey leaned against the windowsill and slowly shook her head. "You don't even know what I was about to ask."

"I bet you want to know where Eva is."

"And Sigrid."

"I don't know. I really don't, Casey. I saw Eva last night when she snuck in here after she was done at the Podunk police station. She didn't tell me where she was going and I didn't ask."

"I thought this was your case as well." Casey did not sound very pleased.

"It was, until I got shot. There's no way I can help her now, not since they put me on medical leave. Besides, you know as well as I do since there's a leak in the department, she will not contact me."

Casey frowned. "Why not? You are her partner, or doesn't she trust you anymore?"

Charles shook his head. "No, that's not it. I know she trusts me, hell, I think I'm probably the only one she trusts in the department right now. Eva knows I can't help her right now, she's on her own. Even contacting each other on the phone will be too risky, because we don't know if we are being watched."

"Jesus, Chuck, this case is getting more complicated by the minute."

"At least it proves that you're right, someone in DC is involved in this and has someone in my department in his pocket and I think we both know who that is. That's why I don't want Eva to contact me. When she left here last night she was still in one piece, and I'd like to keep it that way. She's not just my partner; she's a good friend as well."

"What about Sigrid Myers?"

"What about her?"

Casey sighed and again raked her fingers through her hair. "Come on, Chuck, you know what I mean. Don't make this any harder for me than it already is." She cast a look at the door and lowered her voice. "Is she with Eva?"

"I can only tell you my theory, Casey, because I honestly don't know for sure. Again, Eva did not tell me and I didn't ask. The less I know, the better it is."

"But there's an arrest warrant out for Sigrid. If Eva gets caught in her presence, she'll be in trouble."

"She already is in trouble," Charles mumbled. "And I'm not sure if she is with Sigrid; I would assume she is, but like I said I'm not sure. And I don't want to know."

"The kid, the one who was arrested yesterday, the one who shot you, where does he tie in?"

"I do have a theory about that also," Chuck said, grinning when he saw Casey roll her eyes. "Seriously, it seems like all of this is connected, Casey. But I think if anyone can make sense out of this, it's you. That's what you do, right, investigative reporting? The files you showed me I shared with Eva, so she has them. And knowing her, she'll get to the bottom of it."

"And that is exactly why I want to talk to her," Casey said in a hushed whisper. "We can help each other."

"I know and I appreciate that, but she needs to stay out of sight. She'll contact you when the time is right. Trust me. In the meantime, keep digging, you're onto something big, but whatever you do, be careful." Charles’ face had lost any trace of humor. "Whoever is behind all of this is willing to kill for it."

***

Sigrid was in that wonderful place between sleeping and waking; she was vaguely aware of her surroundings, but still too sleepy to interact with it. She was warm and comfortable and was lying on her side, with her cheek resting on something soft. The surface slightly moved and Sigrid opened her eyes. Immediately, a smile tugged on the corner of her mouth; she was draped across Eva, using her as a body pillow. Sigrid let out a happy sigh and closed her eyes, slowly taking inventory of her body. Her right arm was hugging Eva around the waist, while her right leg was tangled with Eva's. Her cheek rested on a very soft breast and she could feel Eva's arms snugly wrapped around her. It was a great way to wake up and Sigrid hoped Eva would stay asleep for a few more hours, so she could enjoy their closeness. It felt so right to wake up like this. It was like they had been sleeping like this for a long time already, attuned to each other even in sleep.

"Whatever you do, don't move," Eva's voice whispered in her ear.

"I had no intention of doing that," Sigrid said. She gave Eva's waist a gentle squeeze and snuggled closer. "By the way, I thought you were still asleep."

"Nope, just really enjoying this moment," Eva smiled.

"Good. Is there any chance of you going back to sleep?"

"Maybe, although I wouldn't be able to enjoy this so much if I'm asleep."

"True." Sigrid moved just an inch so she could press a kiss against a conveniently close shoulder. "Can we stay like this and hold on to this moment for a while longer?"

"I wish we could, I really do, but we need to disappear before anyone finds us here."

Sigrid pushed herself up a little. "I was afraid you're going to say that, but you're right, we have some puzzles to solve." She was about to roll away from Eva's warm body when the arms around her tightened.

"I know I said we need to disappear, but I didn't mean right now." Eva chuckled when Sigrid let out a soft groan and buried herself in her embrace.

For a brief moment they were quiet, just enjoying each other's presence. But then Sigrid's head shot up and she looked at Eva with a startled expression on her face. "Did I really see you naked last night, or was I dreaming? If it was a dream, it was a really good one."

"If you can't remember, I mustn't have made much of an impression." Eva laughed softly and playfully tugged on a strand of blond hair.

"Didn't I just say that if it was a dream, it was a really good one?" Sigrid rolled over until she was lying on top of Eva. She kissed the tip of her nose and smiled. "So you were naked."

"It's hard to shower with clothes on," Eva said. "So yes, I was naked."

"I'm glad it wasn't a dream, because now I can file it away among my memories; my favorite ones."

"You are such a flatterer." Eva laughed. She moved her hand to the back of Sigrid’s head and gently pulled her closer. "How about a kiss?" she whispered.

"I thought you'd never ask," Sigrid said before her lips met Eva's in a kiss that began gentle and slow, but soon increased in depth and intensity. There was no fighting for dominance; just a mutual exploration of passion, attraction and affection that left both women breathless and longing for more. Somehow, Eva's hands ended up underneath Sigrid's T-shirt. She reveled in the feel of the soft skin and for a moment the rest of the world faded out, until the loud and annoying buzzing of her cell phone pierced through her sensual haze.

"Don't answer that," Sigrid breathed against Eva’s lips.

The request was tempting and at the moment there was nothing Eva wanted more. After a brief moment of hesitation though, she reached out to grab the cell phone she had put on the nightstand. "I am really, really sorry," she said, noticing how hoarse her voice was. She gently cleared her throat. "Sigrid, you have no idea how much I want this, but this is not the time nor the place. I want to keep you safe, keep us safe, and that means we'll have to figure out who was involved in Michael Bell's murder and the trafficking." She pressed her lips against Sigrid's forehead, noticing the heat of her flushed skin. "I'm sorry."

Sigrid lifted her head and managed a weak smile. "No, you're right, we have a job to do." Her fingertips gently touched Eva's swollen cheek. "Rain check?"

Eva smiled and pulled Sigrid closer. "Absolutely, as a matter of fact, I'll give you my entire checkbook."

Sigrid chuckled and gently nipped at the skin underneath her lips, immediately feeling Eva jerk. "Oh, a sensitive spot, I'll need to remember that." She slowly pulled away and rolled off Eva, giving her the chance to check her messages. "Did you get any important updates?"

Eva who was looking at the small screen in her hand glanced up and nodded. "You can say that," she said with a smile. "Yesterday, I reached out to one of my contacts. I just received an answer."

***

The wind was bitter cold and was cruelly cutting through layers of clothes. It came rolling down the plains like a giant, invisible finger, chilling everything it touched. There was no shelter except the large hangar that sat beside the abandoned airstrip. A small jet was slowly moving away from the hangar and stopped when it reached the airstrip. Two figures dressed in long warm coats hurried toward the small aircraft. As soon as they boarded, the door closed and the jet pointed its nose toward the North. Within a few minutes it was airborne and it did not take long for it to be completely out of sight. Inside the jet, the two figures had taken off their coats and relaxed in the comfortable chairs.

"I could get used to traveling like this," the one closest to the window said.

The other one smiled. "Enjoy it while you can; next time it will be economy class again." Long legs were stretched out. "But I've got to admit, it's a great way to travel.Maine, here we come."

***

Betty had insisted on sending Eva and Sigrid on their way only after they had a decent breakfast. So she had treated them to hash browns, pancakes and eggs, accompanied by freshly brewed coffee.

"I'm glad to see the two of you have good appetites," she said while topping off Eva's coffee.

"We didn't get much to eat yesterday, so this is really appreciated," Sigrid said. "Thank you so much, Betty."

"It's my pleasure, honey," Betty gave Sigrid a friendly pat on the shoulder. "I only wish there was more I could do."

Eva looked up from her plate. "Actually, there is something you can do," she said. "If you have the chance, please visit the children today, I'm sure they are craving to see a familiar face."

"I'm sure Morgan is going to ask where you are. What can I tell her?"

"The truth," Sigrid said. "Tell her we're chasing the bad guys." She took a sip from her coffee and then made a face because it was hot. "And it would be great if you and the girls could be around when Morgan's sister arrives."

"We will. As a matter of fact, I spoke to the girls this morning and in a couple of hours we'll head to the hospital. We'll make sure Morgan and her sister will be taken good care of." Betty paused and sank into a chair next to Eva. "I'm smart enough not to ask where you're going, but I'd like you to let me know you're okay every now and then. Of course, only when you're able. I care about you, about both of you."

Sigrid reached across the table and grabbed Betty's hand. "I promise we will," she said. "But don't get too worried if you don't hear from us for a couple of days, okay?"

Betty nodded and squeezed Sigrid’s hand. "I'll try not to, but I can't promise. Just keep each other safe and catch the bastards responsible for those kids’ suffering."

"That's the plan, Betty," Eva reached for her phone that was buzzing again. She quickly pulled itout of her pocket and her eyes scanned the display. She looked up and sent Sigrid a smile. "It's time to go."

***

"I don't have to tell you how preposterous it is that you don't even know where she is. I thought you had a tail on her."

"I did, the idiot lost her. Of course, Eva Clemente is not stupid; she must have known she was being followed."

"If she was aware of that, she's also aware of you. And it's only a matter of time before she figures out my involvement. So, hot shot, what are you going to do about that?"

"I'm working on it. My guess is she's going into hiding and she's taking the pastor with her."

"Do you think they are together?"

"I'm certain. Clemente is extremely conscientious and would never abandon her charge."

"For God's sake then, cast out a net and put an ABP out for both of them. We can't have her jeopardize this organization. Are you aware of what's in the balance? Both our futures depend on this, unless you'd like to spend the rest of yours behind bars."

"What if the Feds get wind of this?"

"As far as I know, they don't have a clue. And I would like to keep it that way, so get to work and find that bitch."

"What about the kids?"

"They are lost to us. And yes, that's coming out of your paycheck."

***

"Where are we going?" Sigrid glanced at Eva who was steering the car through the back streets of the small town. "I know you have a plan and it would be nice if you could share it with me."

"Remember that message I received this morning, early this morning?"

"How could I forget? It ruined a perfectly good moment." Sigrid smiled when Eva chuckled.

"That it did," Eva said. "It came from my brother, Felix. He is expecting us and will make sure no one, not even the rest of my family, will know where we are."

Sigrid glanced aside with a frown and shot Eva a quizzical look. "I'm a little puzzled. If I was the one chasing you, the first place I'd look would be with your family. And I know you probably have a perfectly good reason for this, but I don't understand."

"I have good reason to believe my Captain is involved in all of this. I've worked with him for years and he knows me. He also knows about my family, so yes, logically the first place to look for me is with my family, but that is so obvious he'll think I won't be doing that. Still, he can't afford to take the chance that he's wrong and he'll have someone keep an eye on my family, just in case I show up." Eva paused and shot Sigrid a look. "Does that make sense?"

"In a strange way, yes. It also sounds like you're playing chess; preparing for and reacting to anticipated moves. Why Felix, though? Granted, I've only briefly met your family but it didn't seem to me like you and Felix were particularly close. Is it because he is a police officer, also?"

"Yes and no. As a police officer, he will have no choice but to arrest you when he sees you. And I’m not givingmyself any illusions; I'm pretty sure my name will be right up next to yours by now."

"So, Bobby Fischer, where's the logic in this?"

"I have a big family with lots of places to hide. Sometimes the best place to hide isin plain sight. Besides, there is truth in your observations; Felix and I have a strained relationship, but that doesn't mean we don't care about each other. He's my brother and I’d do anything for him. He feels the same way about me, which is exactly why he's putting his career on the line and helping us."

Sigrid reached out and put a hand on Eva’s knee, somehow needing the physical contact. The gesture was also meant as an encouragement for Eva, because by the way she was clenching the steering wheel, Sigrid could tell she was struggling with some unpleasant thoughts. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"That would only be fair. We almost talked about it before, remember the day we left my family?" From the corner of her eye, Eva saw Sigrid nod. "You were asking about Iris and me."

"I remember that," Sigrid said, using her fingertips to rub soothing circles on Eva’s knee. "If it's too hard to talk about right now, we could talk later."

Eva shook her head. "No, I want you to know before we get there." She took a deep breath, grateful they were driving on a very quiet road. "I told you Felix's wife was killed in a car accident. She was hit by a drunk driver."

"Yes, I remember. Your niece was seriously injured," Sigrid said in a soft voice.

"The drunk driver was my ex." Eva swallowed hard. "I had broken up with her a few months before.She had a drinking problem she refused to address. The day of the accident I had stopped by her place to pick up some of my things. She tried to convince me to come back, said she had changed, but I could smell the alcohol on her breath and it was only early morning. After I left, she continued to drink heavily and when she ran out of liquor she decided to drive to the store. It was early evening then and Lisaand the kids were just returning from visiting her parents. My ex was speeding, lost control of the vehicle and plowed into my sister-in-law." There was a brief silence. "Both Lisa and Kate, my ex, died instantly and Maura was critically injured. It was a miracle that Felix Junior didn't have a scratch."

Sigrid’s heart went out to Eva when she heard the pain in her voice. She could only imagine what the Clemente family had gone through that day and ever since. It was hard to find words that would convey how Eva's story had touched her, so she didn't try. She left her hand on Eva’s thigh, feeling the taut muscles underneath her palm. "Did you blame yourself?" Sigrid asked in a soft voice, already knowing what the answer would be.

"Wouldn't you?"

"I'm not sure. Even though it's illogical, it does seem like an understandable first reaction. You must realize now though that it had nothing to do with you. She already had a drinking problem when you left her, so it's not like you were the cause of it." Eva remained silent and Sigrid slowly nodded. "You still blame yourself, don't you?"

"I know it doesn't make any sense, because it's like you said, I didn't cause her drinking problem, but still, I can't help wondering if things would've been different had I not stopped by that day to pick up my things."

"Does Felix feel the same?"

"He had to be angry at someone and I know he was angry with me, even though he never really said that out loud." Eva sighed. "He probably doesn't feel that anymore, but it strained our relationship."

"Did the two of you ever talk about it?"

Eva shook her head. "No, we haven't. I tried to be there for him after the accident, but I was so numb with grief and guilt I probably wasn't much of a help. I threw myself into my job and avoided going home. The only time they saw me was during holidays."

"That must have been difficult for you."

"Not just for me, for everybody. And then sometime last year, Iris all of a sudden stood on my doorstep and she read me the riot act." There was a small smile on Eva's face. "If you think you've seen everything, you haven't seen a fuming Iris Clemente."

"That bad, huh?" Sigrid thought back at the evening she spent with Eva's family and tried to picture any of them being furious. "I admit it's hard to imagine."

"Iris and I have always been very close, maybe because we’re close in age or just because we’re so much alike. She was brutally honest with me and I think that was exactly what I needed. Ever since, I've tried to accept the fact that the accident was not my fault. Still, every time I see Felix or Maura there still is this nagging guilt in the back of my head."

"Eventually, that too will disappear," Sigrid said.

"I hope so, I really do." Eva glanced aside. "I guess every now and then I need somebody to remind me to let that guilt go."

"I'll remind you as often as needed," Sigrid promised. There was a brief silence and then she chuckled. "I just realized that sounds really presumptuous."

Eva released her right hand from the steering wheel and covered Sigrid's that was still resting on her thigh. "Actually, it doesn't." She squeezed Sigrid's fingers. "Just let me know if I am moving too fast, but I really like the sound of you being around often."

"You are moving fast, but so am I. Somehow it all feels right, though, so I'm not worried about it." Sigrid lifted Eva’s hand, bringing it to her lips and pressing a soft kiss against the warm skin. "You make me feel things I haven't felt in a very long time and I like that, so please don't apply any brakes."

A few hours later, they had approached the Rockland area without any problems. It didn't seem like anybody was following them and traffic had been light, so they had been able to make good time. The few times Sigrid had offered to drive, but Eva had politely refused saying that she really knew the area well and if needed she'd be able to take the back roads.

"Shouldn’t we have taken that exit?" Sigrid pointed to the junction they just passed.

"We're going a little more north. Felix owns a property near Lincolnville. It's not rented out at this moment, so we’re able to use it. It's a nice place with a great view of the Penobscot Bay." Eva smiled." I'm pretty sure you'll like it."

"Any view over any water I like," Sigrid laughed. "You might have to remind me we're not on vacation."

"Don't worry, I will."

"Have you talked to your mother lately?"

The question was fairly unexpected and Eva raised her brows in surprise. "Not since we left. Why?"

"I know it's silly, I was just wondering how Minnie is doing," Sigrid said in a slightly shy voice.

"That's not silly at all. You're talking to the daughter of a veterinarian, remember? When I went to college I kept pestering my parents for updates on my dog," Eva said. "I never knew I could miss that mutt so much."

"It's just that Minnie has been with me for years and it's weird not to have her around. One of my favorite things to do at the end of the day is to curl up on the couch with a book, a cup of tea and a purring cat. To me, that’s somehow very therapeutic."

"It sounds relaxing." Eva smiled. "Maybe this evening you can curl up with a book, a cup of tea and me. I can't promise I'd purr, though."

Sigrid laughed and playfully swatted Eva across the stomach. "I'd hope not, although it would be interesting to hear you purr." She took a breath and slowly shook her head. "That thought just brought on a lot of interesting images," she confessed, making Eva laugh out loud. "But I think right now it's best justto ignore them. So, Inspector, do you like fishing?"

To be continued in part 18

Feedback is welcome at lois@hotmail.com

TBC

 

Return to the Academy