For Disclaimers see part 1

For feed back email me at Mel_RC1@hotmail.com

Coincidental Meetings

By Mel R. C.


Chapter 4

After all the introductions are made and hands are shook, we sit down at the dinning room table, drinking sodas and just talking.

Tad turns and looks at me then grins. "Now the reason I came over here is to take you all shopping and that means all four of you," he says with a grin and twinkle in his eyes.

I groan loudly and close my eyes. "But Tadddddd! I loath shopping and you damn well know it. I mean damn. I was just complaining to you the other day about it," I say as I cross my arms and slouch down into my seat.

I look up when I hear someone laughing and see that it's Kate. I frown and put my hands on the table then lean close to Kate. "What?" I ask my eyes narrowing.

She stops laughing, but she continues to smile widely. "What you did reminds me of my son, Colin. He does the same thing when he's not happy with what he has to do," she says with a slight chuckle.

I roll my eyes then sigh softly. "Fine!!! Let us get this damn torture over with before I change my mind," I say as I get up and go out the door to my car grumbling to myself.

I get into the car and wait for everyone to follow me outside. While I wait I drum my fingers against the steering wheel for a while then I slam my hand against it in frustration.

"Gods! What is wrong with me??? Kate is not Alex. I lost her years ago," I sigh softly then watch as the other come out of the house.

As the others get into my car and Tad into his I push a button that lowers the top on the convertible then wave to Tad as he pulls out onto the road and I follow him. I grin to myself as I speed down the road slightly behind Tad. I take out a CD and pop it into the CD player then tap my finger tips against the steering wheel as I drive mumbling to myself with the song.

After about ten minutes we arrive at the mall. The others hop out and I get out, put the top back down then push the car alarm button on and follow Tad into the mall. I look around the mall and sigh softly.

I rub the back of my neck. "Wasn't I in this torture chamber last week? That's the most I've been in a mall besides Christmas shopping," I mumble to myself as we walk through the mall and before I can dodge my uncle he grabs my arm and before I know it. I'm being dragged everywhere, in the god damn county or so it seems like, before he finally stops at a formal wear store. I sigh to myself and let myself be hauled off towards the tuxes like some reluctant child, which in truth is what I'm acting like right at that moment.

As Tad is looking at the tuxes and muttering to himself a very noticeable gay man comes up to us. "Well what can I do for you all today?" He ask as he stops in front of us with his hands on his hips.

Tad, who is not phased one bit by the man, looks around. "Well I need to get these kids some formal wear for a very important party tonight," he says as he looks back at the man and smiles charmingly.

The guy smiles back. "Yes, of course. Let us get started then shall we?" He asks as he motions for us to follow him.

I roll my eyes. "And so begins the countless hours of torture," I mutter to myself low enough so no one can hear me.

We spend the next couple of hours being tossed cloths to while Tad and Mister hips, for lack of better name, looks for the perfect formal wear that my uncle just insists we must have for this wonderful party he's having in my honour. I just wanna shoot him. He's doing this just to torture me I just know it and he'll pay for this. Mark my words, I'll make him go golfing with me! I think to myself with a sadistic grin on my face as I am ushered for the sixth time back into the dressing room after Tad says the colour doesn't suit me. Hehehehe. He'll think twice before doing this to me. I know that he just loathes golfing.

After being poked, prodded, pinched and whatever else these people in this store could think that would seriously bruise my body, we're finally ready to leave and for reasons unknown to me, Tad and everyone else in the store would not let Max, Kate, Marion and myself see each other. I just glare at Tad when he shooed me away as Kate was coming out.

I stand there eyeing him. "For gods sake, Tad! This is not some god damn wedding!" I exclaim as I'm being pushed back into the dressing room.

Tad doesn't say anything just smiles at me and tells me to stay put.

I shake my head and just stay where I was then after they all have deemed us done and ready we leave the store and make our way to the cars, but not before Tad tells us that we are going back to his place to get ready there. I just shake my head and grumble to myself as I start the car and follow him to more torture, that I am sure, he has waiting for us. That and the fact that he said I would more then likely either be late for the party.

I just smirk at myself in the review mirror. Nope you are only half right, Tad. Because I wouldn't come at all if I was getting ready at my house. I think to myself with a chuckle under my breath as we pull up into his drive way.

I get out of the car and stretch then reach into the car and grab my garment bag into the house. I walk into his living room that's down the main hall and toss my bag down then flop onto a chair and stretch out my legs. As I'm sitting there, Tad comes into the room and grabs my arm.

He smirks at me. "No, time for that. You have to get dressed. The guests will be arriving here shortly. Everyone else is getting ready. My hair stylist is here as well and he'll be doing Max's and your hair while his sister fixes the girls hair and does their makeup. Now come on! Chop, Chop," he says as he pulls me out of the chair then leaves the room when the door bell rings.

I flip my middle finger at his back. "ARG! Will this day of tragedy ever cease?!" I ask the now empty room as I grab my bag knowing that I look like I'm a fugitive on my way to my execution.

I meet Max out in the hall then follow him to where the torture room is. We walk into an empty room then sit down in the chairs that are left out for the stylist to do our hair. I yawn and wait for the stylist to work his, so called, magic that he claims to have as he bustles into the room, setting down some bags and pulling out things that I'm not sure are really used to do hair styling.

As we sit there Max looks over at me and blinks as if it's the first time he's seen me. He rubs the side of his nose and opens his mouth as if to say something, but closes it when the stylist accidentally sprays hair spray into his mouth. He gags for a while then tries to talk to me again, but has to close it once again because of the hairspray the stylist seems to think we need gallons of. After a while I just shake my head, slightly annoyed with both Max and the stylist.

I turn my head and glare at Max. "Whatever it is, Max, just come out with it. Don't mind the god damn spray. Either that or take the damn can away from him," I snap and the stylist squeaks in surprise. I just shake my head and rub the bridge of my nose watching the stylist go back to work on his hair after my slight outburst.

Finally after the stylist is done spraying Max looks back towards me. " I just wanted to know how you came about going to Central? When there's the public school in Elkader," he says as he spreads his arms apart and shrugs his shoulders.

I suck on my bottom lip, nodding my head slightly. "I knew that question would come up sooner or later, Max and it's not that hard to answer either. My mother made me," I say with a straight face as I watch Max about fall out of his chair laughing.

He gets control of his laughter then nods. "Yeah, parents make us do alot of things we don't want to do," he says as the stylist moves his head forward.

I scratch my chin then nod my head slightly. "Yeah? What did your dad make you do?" I ask as I lean towards him.

I hear a soft sigh. "Go to that mother fucking school as well and give up the person I loved," he states calmly and quietly.

I make a face then frown before shaking my head. "That's not right if you think about it, Max. I mean what's so bad about loving someone?" I ask as I lean back into my chair.

Max looks at me sadness written all over his face. "The wrong gender. That's what's wrong about it and in this town it's frowned on," he says as he shakes his head.

I notice that the stylist stops what he's doing. "Yes, honey it is and if it wasn't for your uncle Tad. I wouldn't be able to provide for myself. He keeps alot of the gay store owners and alot of other people in business with his contributions. Why if it wasn't for him I reckon things would be alot worse off," he says as he shrugs his shoulders then reaches a hand towards me and I shake it then to Max who shakes it as well. "My names Greg by the way."

Max looks at Greg and smiles then looks at me. "I believe that's why Tyrone and his father wants to get their hands on your uncles business. It's because he supports homosexuality and they are so against it that they can't stand him," he says as he crosses his arms.

I scratch the side of my head. "So I'm the hope of the whole gay community then?" I ask as I steeple my fingers and put my lips against my fingers.

Greg nods. "And a hero from what your uncle tells me," Greg says as he goes back to work on Max's hair then comes over to do mine when he realises he's finished with Max.

I sigh and shake my head leaning my head back. "I'm not a hero. I'm anything, but that," I as with a sigh and close my eyes tightly against the memory of a gun going off and echoing in my mind.

Max's voice filters through my memories. "The more you say you aren't, the more everyone thinks you are. A true hero will not except praise, no matter how many say they are one, Jack. I know who you are or were. Marion showed me the picture in your room. The resemblance is uncanny to the description in the stories, Jack. We know we're right and you can't tell us different," he says softly as my eyes snap open.

I turn my head to look at him then shake it. "That was a long time ago, Max and I don't wanna talk about it. Sometimes people must forget their past in order to go on with their lives. It's natural and must be done in order to live," I say as I turn my head away from Max and stare at the wall.

I feel a pat on my shoulder. "You sound older then you look, Jack," Greg says as he comes around the chair and looks at me. "And your hair is done."

I sigh softly bowing my head slightly. "Being on your own at twelve and for four years will do that to you," I say as I get up and walk out of the room then go into the bath room with my bag and change into my tux.

After changing into the black tux with no tie or bow tie, just a button on the red silk shirt, I walk out of the bathroom and into the living room, but before I get any further then the door way I stop dead in my tracks. Right in front of me is the most gorgeous woman I've ever seen in my entire life. My jaw hangs open and I can't take my eyes off of her, because right in front of me is Kate dressed in a sleek sleeveless red dress that splits up the side slightly and around her neck is a black hills gold necklace, but what sort of sets off the outfit is the leather bracelet, that I saw earlier, that covers her left wrist. I can also see a tattoo of what appears to be half of a yin yang on the top of her right hand and a Celtic cross on her left bicep, but what catches my eyes is the half of a yin yang. I look down at left hand and flex it staring at my own, but dark half of a yin yang and frown. It can't be. Only Alex had the light half. I shake my head. No it's a coincidence. There's probably another person out there with the other half. Besides ours was done by a homeless Tai Chi instructor. I think to myself with a shake of my head then I walk over to Kate rubbing the inside of my right wrist that has a tattoo on it done when I was drunk and on the streets.

I clear my throat and smile at her. "You look absolutely wonderful," I say as I look down at my feet then back up at her.

She smiles at me shyly as she pushes a strand of hair behind her ear and a light blush covers her cheeks which I find utterly adorable. "Thank you, Jack. I haven't been to a party in a while nor have I had any reason to dress nice for anything either," she says as she shifts from one foot to another.

I chuckle and nod my head as I shove my hands into my pockets. "So umm, are your kids being watched by anyone?" I ask before realising what a stupid question to ask, but she just smiles widely.

She nods her head. "Yes and I appreciate your concern. They're with my father and I used your uncles phone to ask him if he would keep them for the night," she says with a chuckle. "He was so relieved that I'm getting out again that he didn't question me where I was," she replies as she crosses the distance between us and fingers my jacket. "You look nice. Very distinguished. like the hero you are," she says quietly.

I shake my head breaking the atmosphere that had surrounded us and take a step back. "I'm no hero. Do I have to wear a sign?" I ask soft of pissed that everyone thinks of me as some god damn hero. "I'm just a street punk that cleans up pretty nicely," I say as I turn away from her.

"I meant no harm, Jack and when I see a hero then it's a hero I see as well as the person. You've had hard times and are older then you appear. I can see it in your eyes as well as some old pain, but I'm not gonna pretend that you're something you're not either. That's not who I am, Jack," she says quietly and I feel a hand on my shoulder.

I sigh quietly as I turn around to face her then lean my head back slightly to look up into her eyes. "You can see all of that?" I ask in a whisper.

She smiles softly and nods her head. "Yes, I don't know what, but it's like I've met you before and I feel like I'm being drawn in by the dark side of you that I glimpsed in your eyes today and yet you're calm and gentle as well. I mean for instance, like when I first saw you while you were doing Tai Chi outside my house. I don't understand it and I'm going to pretend to. It scares me, but at the same time it thrills me," she says in a whispers as she takes my hands in hers.

I draw away from her when my acute hearing picks up foot steps coming closer to the living room. Her eyes asks questions as I look into them and I mouth to her, 'later, we'll talk more,' then I turn around and find Tad coming into the room.

He smiles widely when he sees me. "Ahhhhhh. There you are. Come on, most of the guests have arrived and not it's time for you to greet them, plus I have a DJ coming just for you since I know how much you love music," he says as he moves out of the door way for us to go through.

I laugh softly. "Awwwwwww and here I had hoped you would have a band so I can play too," I say with a evil grin.

He slaps me on the shoulder and smirks. "And have you play Candle In The Wind with your guitar again and make everyone in the whole place sober and cry? I think not. Well maybe I can arrange something," he says with a sly wink.

I stop in mid stride and but my hands on my hips and glare at him. "HEY! I did a damn good job while half drink, thank you very much. I mean it isn't easy when you are seeing three guitars, besides it was when I started to sing that everyone started crying. I think it was because they all wanted me to stop, but didn't know how to do it," I say chuckling.

Tad and Kate start laughing as well. "No, it was because it was so beautiful is why everyone started crying, Jack. Gods I swear you try and take half of the god damn glory off of you sometimes," Tad says with a shake of his head.

I roll my eyes and follow Tad and Kate towards the Banquet Hall while Tad tells Kate about how I got into the god damn song in the first place. Which included a band, a bet, to much beer and the first anniversary of Princess Diana's death. As Kate laughs along with Tad we walk into the hall where I am instantly swarmed by half of my family. I try to dodge most of them, but in a crowd this big it's impossible. So after all the niceties and introductions that I make for my new friends, we finally get to one of the many tables that surround the banquet hall and sit down.

I looks around at my family that's gathered in the room then at my new friends that I still can't believe want to be around me after all they know and just in a short time. I shake my head slightly. This place is turning more into a home for me then Seattle was. Yeah I had friends, but I don't think any of them would stay at my side and call me friend if they knew half the shit these people do. I smile to myself and take a deep breath. Maybe this party wont be so bad after all.

As I sit there thinking about this new place, I don't notice my Uncle standing up until I hear him tap a glass. I look up at him and raise an eyebrow then lean back in my chair waiting for him to say whatever it is he wants to say.

He smiles to everyone around the room before beginning. "Now before we eat I would like to thank you all for coming here to celebrate this special occasion in welcoming, Jack into the family business. Though it is very uncommon for a woman to be inducted into this kind of business, I know that everyone is in agreement to this as well and I know she will do well for us all," he pauses as everyone nods their head and some murmurs of approval can be heard through out the room. He smiles wider then continues. "So I bid you all welcome and to have fun as well," he finishes before everyone stands and cheers and some come up to me only to have my back being thumped in congratulations.

As the servers come out with plates of food someone starts to chant for a speech then everyone joins in with that lone voice.

I blush lightly and look around only to be hauled to my feet by my uncle to the enjoyment to everyone in the room. I clear my throat. "Well to thank ya'll for excepting me in what I know should be an all male sort of society," I pause as everyone in the room laughs then continue. "I guess I made a big impression on ya'll for the past three years huh?" I ask as I rub the back of my neck as everyone cheers and laughs again and I chuckle nervously. "To tell ya'll the truth I didn't even want to come to Elkader in the first place, but now that I'm here I find that I have more loyal friends here that I've just met," I say as I look from Marion to Max then finally to Kate before going on. "Then I did when I was in Seattle and I've come to realise that this is and always will be more my home then Seattle ever was. I guess I should've known that even when I was younger because I always wanted to come to stay with, Tad and then three years here for a while there," I exclaim then pause as everyone laughs and some people that have seen me here during the summers nods their heads. " So though I am getting off the subject," I pause once more to the round of laughter from around the room. "This is a real honour to be welcomed into this business thank you," I say to finish my speech then I sit down as everyone claps and cheers.

After I have sit down Tad smacks me on the shoulder and smiles at me. I smile back at him then dig into my food mumbling to him about how good it is. Once we're all finished with supper and desert I smile and lean back in my chair as everyone stops eating as well, after a couple minutes the caters come in and clear away the plates and start to set up for the DJ that is starting to come in and set his stuff up. They move the tables and chairs against the wall to make room for dancing on the floor.

From my seat I watch as Tad stands in the middle of the room telling them where to put everything and then some people walk in and he points to the bar, which I realise they must be the bartenders, where they will commandeer the bar that's on the other side of the room beside where the DJ is finally done setting up his stuff.

Tad clears his voice then whistles to get everyone’s attention. "Now that all the formalities are done with, lets get t his party started," he says and everyone cheers.

I get up and make my way through the crowd of well wishers and back patters towards the bar then back over to the table where my new friends now sit, my arms loaded with soda and a new pack of smokes I bummed from Tad. As I sit down Max leans over and whispers.

"Just exactly what is your families business?" He asks as he takes a soda for himself then hands one to Marion and then passes another one towards Kate.

I run my fingers through my hair before putting a finger against my lips and rub my bottom lip. "Mafia," I say quietly as I watch as the look on Max's face doesn't change.

He just nods his head. "Kinda thought so. Just wanted clarification. My dad used to launder money for the Mafia, so it doesn't surprise me really," he says as he takes a drink of his soda.

I blink my mouth just hanging open as I stare at him. I just shake my head and go back to watching the people dance then look at Max. "Yeah? Who did he launder money for?" I ask curiously.

He looks at me and chuckle then points to my unopened pack of cigarettes. "Can I bum one?" He asks.

I nod my head then pick up the pack and begin to pack the cigarettes before opening them then I hand one to him and pull one out for me before handing him the lighter then taking it back after he has lit his and light my own and inhale deeply.

I stretch then look at him. "Well?" I ask as I take another drag.

He just shrugs his shoulders. "For the Valentino family, but that was long before we were born. He's stopped doing that or so he has said anyway. Though I hear that Valentinos are the biggest supports of the Bashers," he says as he takes another drag as well.

I make a face. "Bashers?" I ask as I scratch my head.

He nods his head. "Yeah. They are a gang that either beats, kills and rapes homosexuals," he says with a growl.

I frown then look at the glowing embers of my cigarette. "So that's what they are calling themselves now. I thought we had got rid of all of them," I mumble to myself not realising that Max had heard some of it.

He looks towards me. "What was that?" He asks with a curious look on his face.

I just shake my head. "Nothing." I take a drag of my cigarette and flick some ashes. "So how is it that you know that the Valentino family supports these Bashers?" I ask as I take a drink of my soda, wishing that it was something stronger. Feeling a slow ember of rage begin to grow within my veins.

He shrugs slightly. "Maybe because Tyrone and his father are their biggest supporters and he was bragging around the school about how he and his dad take care of the scum that live in this town," he says with a shake of his head.

I frown again then look at Max sharply. "Why doesn't anyone do something if he goes around school bragging about it?" I ask with a growl.

Max just shakes his head. "You don't know, Tyrone that well. Everyone is scared of him. They're all afraid of him and his dad. Afraid that they'll come after them and their families. Even the teachers are scared of him. There's nothing anyone can do about it. So they let them all get away with it. That is. Until you came around anyway," he says with a smirk.

I scratch the back of my neck. "Sounds like he needs a good spanking," I say with a smirk as Max laughs.

He finishes laughing then smirks. "You don't know the half of it," he says with a sigh. "He knows Marions secret and has been trying to "uncorrupted" her. He thinks because she goes to the school that she's gay," he says with a sad look.

I look at him from the corner of my eye. "Is she?" I ask sort of curious.

He nods his head slightly. "Yeah and if dad finds out he'll have a fit. Two kids of his gay. He'll throw the both of us out in a heart beat. Especially when he finds out that Tyrone tried to "uncorrupted" her and I stopped it. He believes that all a woman, who is gay, needs is a good fucking from a man," he sighs softly. "The only reason he hasn't handed me over to them is because I am "reformed"," he says as he stares at his soda.

I rub my hands against my knees and sigh. "Sounds like to me your father needs an education about homosexuality. You can't "reform" anyone. It's just who you are. No one can choose to be one thing or another," I say shaking my head slightly.

Max scoffs. "Shyeah right. He says all fags and dykes must either be reformed or shot," he says with a shudder.

I narrow my eyes slightly. "You know I really hate that word. It's degrading and does anyone really know what that word means? It means: A bank formed by dirt that protects low land from flooding. Now I ask you. Do I look like friggin dirt to you?" I ask with a soft chuckle.

Max looks at me with his jaw dropped. "So you're gay?" He asks in awe.

I can't help but laugh at him. "Yes. Even before I knew I was gay I was. Though I should've known earlier on. I mean. Does a normal girl dream about kissing her best friend that's a girl? I think not," I say with a shake of my head.

Max is about to say something else when Kate comes over and grabs his hand and tells him she wants to dance. I chuckle at the helpless look on his face as she drags him off to the dance floor. I lean over and put out his cigarette before leaning back in my seat watching them two. Kate looking for all the world like she's having the time of her life and Max watching his feet to make sure he doesn't step on hers. I sigh as I close my eyes and remember a time when I had danced with Alex for the first time.

I sit in the grass onto of a hill looking down onto a wedding reception that's playing below me. I pull my knees up and watch smiling slightly to myself. I put my hand on a sword that had been given to me by Alex, when I hear footsteps approaching me. I jump to my feet when they get almost get to my side and hold my sword out in front of me ready to do battle with whom ever it is. I smile and put the sword down when I see that it's just Alex.

I lean my head to the side and crack it slightly. "Hi. How did you know I was here?" I ask as I sheath my sword and gesture for her to join me on the ground after I sit back down.

She grins at me. "Well there are no secrets around here. You know that," she says as she sits down on the grass beside me then chuckles. "No. Actually Master Hauturo told me. He said that you might like some company. What are you doing up here anyway?" She asks as I look towards her as she watches the people down below.

I shrug as I listen to the music that is now wafting through the air towards us. "Nothing special. Just watching the wedding reception that's being held down there in the garden," I say as I point down towards the beautifully made up garden then pull out a pack of cigarettes out of my ripped and dirty cargo pants then light one up after pulling it out of the pack.

I look over at Alex then at the cigarette that she's looking at. "Want one?" I ask as I take a drag from it.

She shakes her head now. "You're getting better with that sword I got you. Hauturo also says he was wrong about you. When I first brought you to him he thought you were just a lazy, spoiled brat," she says with a chuckle.

I smirk lopsidedly at her then scratch my chin. "Hmmmmmm I was. That is until I met you. If it was for you and Hauturo I would've died that first night on the streets," I say as I run my fingers through my hair. "I'm also grateful for ya'll telling me about those contacts of yours as well. I think I need some new cloths," I say with a chuckle as I put a finger through one of the smaller holes in my pants.

Alex chuckles as well, but stops when music from a slow song, that I know she absolutely loves, comes up to us from the party. She looks at me and I look back at her. I smile softly as I look into her eyes.

She smiles back as well. "Do you want to dance?" She asks in a whispers as she gets up off the ground and stands before me with her hand out to me.

I blush slightly, having been on the streets for a couple years I've developed a big sense of pride and I don't like to tell anyone my short comings, as I look up at her and into her eyes. "I don't know how to dance. My mom wanted me to learn, but I never did, because it always seemed so..." I stop talking as I search of the right word.

She chuckles softly. "So girlie. For lack of a better word," she says with a shrug and I nod my head then she reaches down and grabs my hand and pulls me to my feet and close to her.

I gulp as I look up into her eyes and smile slightly just a tad embarrassed.

She smiles reassuringly. "Don't worry so much, Sels. Just follow my lead and you'll do fine," she says in a whisper.

I just nod my head and she smiles wider at me then takes one of my hands into hers and puts the other one on her shoulder. "I'll teach you and before you know it you'll be sweeping all the women off their feet," she whispers to me.

I make a face not really understanding what she means, but she begins to move before I can say anything. The process is slow, but soon I'm dancing with her slowly in time with the music. We sway as if we're trees in the wind and she pulls me closer to her. I lean my head back and look up into her eyes as we dance. She smiles at me then leans her head down towards me and slowly her lips lower towards mine...


I'm jolted from my memory by someone tapping my on the shoulder. I look up and see Tad standing beside me. When I acknowledge that he's there he sits down beside me.

I try and shake the feeling, that I usually get, from my head. "Hey. What's up, Tad?" I ask as I take a drink of my soda hoping that the feeling will go away with a drink of something.

He shrugs his shoulders. "Oh nothing. Just that there's going to be a nice salsa song playing soon and I thought you should be out on the dance floor dancing and showing off. Since I know for a fact that you know the tango, since I am the one that taught you how," he says with a mischievous smirk.

I look at him with caution then sigh before getting up out of my seat. "Okay, okay. I'll dance. Are you happy now? Gods be damned I swear sometimes," I mumble as I spot Kate still out on the dance floor with a cousin of mine. Who's only a year younger then myself.

I slowly walk over to them muttering to myself. "Of all the stupid things he wants me to do. It has to be dancing! Gods. Why doesn't he just hang a sign around my neck that says "Chump"," I finish muttering once I get near them and tap my cousin Sam on the shoulder.

He yelps and knocks Kate over. I smack him on the arm. "Now that's no way to treat a lady, Sam," I say with a raised eyebrow then I reach my hand down to Kate who's staring up at me from the floor.

I get a weird feeling of deja v¾, but in my mind the situation is reversed. "Would you care to dance with me, Kate?" I ask as a warm feeling spreads through my body.

She smiles at me and takes my hand. "That would be wonderful," she says as our hands touch and instantly heat spreads quickly through my body.

I smile back at her and help her to her feet and it's like the DJ took his cue from there and a nice salsa song begins to play through the speakers.

I take her hands in mine and lead her around the dance floor. As we dance everything leaves my mind except for the woman that is in my arms while we dance. We dip and swerve around the dance floor showing the room just how to dance properly. As the song ends it's replaces with a slow song that I haven't heard in years. My brain is telling me I should let go and go back to my seat, but my heart is battling with me brain and soon my heart wins hands down and I pull her closely, but instead of my leading for this song, she leads me instead. Surprise fills my body, mind and soul. I look up into her eyes as we dance and gulp nervously. Replaced is the sure, cunning woman, that was dancing the salsa now, and in it's place is the nervous fourteen year old learning to dance, by the one woman that meant the world to her.

Our bodies once again sway gently like two trees in the window and I lean my head against her shoulder as we dance a feeling of home taking over the nervousness that I felt when we first started. I breath in the scent that seems so familiar to me and yet at the same time is so new. As the song wears down I look back up into her eyes.

I blink slightly almost taken aback by the tenderness I see in her eyes. "Alex?" I ask in a soft whisper.

She stops dancing and looks at me and in her eyes I can see the questions and the wonder that rages behind those blue eyes. I pull away suddenly from her realising my mistake and mutter an apology then go back to my seat.

Once I get back to my seat I look across the dance floor to see Tad, making his way towards me, but he doesn't make it because right in the middle of the dance floor the double doors burst open and in walks Tyrone with some other person beside him. They don't stop walking until they're standing right in front of Tad. Confused and a tad bit enraged I get up out of my seat and make my way through the now growing crowd to Tads side.

I glance towards Tyrone who is now pointing at me. "That's her, dad. The one I've been telling you about," he says as he crosses his arms while glaring at me coldly.

I smirk slightly. "Feeling better are we?" I ask as I put my arms behind my back and rock on my heels slightly.

Tyrone just glares at me. Ooo. If looks could kill. I'd be ten feet under by now. I think amusingly to myself.

I focus my attention on his father who is now looking me up and down with a look in his eyes that I utterly do not like. "Ahhh. So you're Jack Steffano," he father says as he begins to circle me. "We have come to get you. Your grandfather wishes to speak to you. About my sons marriage offer," he says after he finishes circling me.

I scoff amusingly. "Well I don't wish to speak to him. As you can see. I'm a bit busy right now. So if you wouldn't mind. Show yourself to the door," I say as I turn to walk off.

A rather evil sounding laugh comes from behind me. "That's right. Turn and run. Run like you did at that hospital three years ago when your friend was in the hospital from a gun shot wound due to you," his father says menacingly from behind me.

I clench my hands into fists then turn around and look at him with pure hatred in my eyes and a cold scowl that would have frightened anyone with enough sense that the gods gave a warthog.

He grins coldly at me. "That's right. I know all about you, Sela. I know all about you and Alex who happens to be in this room tonight," he says with a smug grin. "Have you told her yet, Jack? Have you told her that you're the cause of her lost memory? Have you told your new friends who you really are?" He asks as he starts to circle me once again. "Oh that's right. Sela doesn't want anyone to know about her. Doesn't want everyone to know that you were once a lowly street rat, skilled in an arsenal of weapons and could kill someone with your bare hands. You don't want anyone to know that you've killed before. That you've got contacts with people in the black market or that you sold drugs to people either. No, Jack Steffano doesn't want anyone to know why her parents left Texas and moved to Seattle, because Jack Steffano can do no wrong and if they police were to find out that Sela is Jack Steffano, well I wouldn't wanna be in your shoes when you find out what happens," he says with a triumphant smirk. "Nope you don't want people to know that you're a lowly, thieving dyke who helped her friend forget about everything and everyone she had ever loved or that the fact that you left the streets because you couldn't deal with the fact that you didn't have someone out there watching your back anymore. Alot of people give you credit where there is none. But you know. I find it ironic really. That the place you had run away to is now your home. A place where anyone would recognise you. Even if you don't have blue hair no more," he says as he stops circling and face me once again.

I growl softly and am about to say something when Tyrone’s dad leans over and drops his voice so only I can hear it and those beside us. "How does it feel? Knowing that the person you loved bared my grandchildren? Huh? You Dyke?" He ask with pure hatred in his voice.

I look up at him. Feeling the rage course through my veins as I look up into his eyes and snarl, baring my teeth then whisper back. "How does it feel to be staring into the eyes of your demise?" I ask as I reach up with lightning fast reflexes that had laid dormant and take his head into my hands. I'm about to snap his neck, but before I can I hear a shout from behind me.

"Stop or I'll blow your bitches head right off her fucking shoulders," the voice says in a growl.

I look back quickly to see Tyrone pointing a gun at Kate. I narrow my eyes, but I let go of his fathers head and then take a step backwards. "Yeah that's right, Tyrone. Hide behind something that you could truly never understand," I say to him then I look back to his father. "What do you want?" I ask never taking an eye off of Kate.

As I look at her I smile slightly at her in reassurance then smile wider when I see recognition, love, understanding and remembrance in the depths of her wonderful sky blue eyes. Then I look back towards Tyrone’s father the smile that was once on my face gone and replaced with a snarl.

He scratches his chin smugly. "What I want is for you to accept my sons offer and give up your rights to this families business to me and in return I let you and your friend there will live as well as not tell the police about your," he pauses and smiles menacingly at me thinking he has won. "Shady life in the past. You will also provide me with a grandson," he says then leans in and whispers into my ear. "For we are not sure whether or not Kathleen’s off spring is from Tyrone or from me," he says coyly.

I look at him in surprise then narrow my eyes to slits as I stare at his face wishing at that moment I could literally rip the smile off of his face.

He laughs maniacally. "Oh yes. You didn't know that I had my way with her as well as my son. How could I have missed that? To reform a dyke is the best thing in the world. Especially when they scream for someone they don't even remember to help them," he says with an evil smirk then he calls over a waiter that has a platter of drinks.

I turn away from him and stare at the floor shaking my head and feeling the rest of my body shake as well from rage and shame. No! That's not true. I think to myself then I sigh softly. And if it wasn't for me. Even if it is true she wouldn't have gone through that in the first place. She would've fought. And it's because of me she didn't. Because of me she forgot how to.

I can feel the cloud of misery fall over me like a blanket over my shoulders until I feel something cold touch my hand and I look up to see that the waiter bringing the drinks is actually Max. I look down at my hand and in it I see my gun resting there. I look up at Max with questions in my eyes.

He mouths. "Tad had me get it out of your cloths. Blow his fucking head off, Jack," he moves away from me and I clench the gun in my hand.

I look up into Kate's eyes and feel sadness engulf me again, but I shove it aside and mouth a I'm sorry. She just nods her head slightly and mouths back that she understands. I push aside the misery and sadness fully and let the rage and now blood lust take over my body completely. I feel it rushing through my veins and beating as my heart rate picks up.

I turn around and face Tyrone’s father not seeing the surprised look on his face at the sudden change in my manner. "NOOOOOOOOOO!" I scream loudly.

I whirl around and shot Tyrone in his hand that holds his gun that's still pointed at Kate's head, before I can see what happens to his hand I whirl back around towards his father and point the gun at him, but instead I feel something impact in my right shoulder and I look to see Tyrone's father holding a now smoking gun, before he can squeeze off another round I level the gun at this chest.

I grin evilly at him not really feeling the pain of the gun shot wound. "You can just go to hell you fucking woman raping bastard. Your son isn't my type anyway," I shout as I shoot him in the chest just as I feel the impact of another bullet hit me in the leg this time.

I drop to my knees and then fall backwards as I fall I squeeze off another shot just as another one grazes my head. This bullet hits Tyrone’s father right between the eyes just as I fall onto my back and stare up at the ceiling, but for some reason I'm only seeing the ceiling with my right eye. The last thing I hear before I go unconscious is Kate's voice.

"Don't you leave me god damn it. Not now, Jack. Not after I just found you again."

The voice fades slowly as it repeats "Don't you leave me!" and everything goes black.


I open my eyes and see only blackness. So this is what hell looks like huh? I always thought it would be more. Oh I don't know. Orange from all the fire and brim stone. I think to my self with a shrug of my shoulders.

I turn my head to my right when I hear breathing coming from that direction, but I can't see anyone or anything for that matter.

"Dunna ye dare give up ye little piss ant. Not after all the gods be damned work mah wife and Ah went through to have kids that are now yer ancestors," The voice says from beside me.

I look at harder to my right then squint my eyes before feeling the space beside me, but I don't feel anyone there. "Who are you? Some demon to give me grief?" I ask the space beside me.

"Does'na matter who ah am. All that matters is that ye get back there to the person that loves you. The other half of yer soul. Believe me. It is'na easy to find it," the voice says gruffly.

I sigh softly. "Why should I go back? I killed. AGAIN! I deserve to spend the rest of eternity in torment," I say sadly.

I feel a slap upside my head. "Are ye daft, lass? Or just plain ignorant? That lass of yers does'na care if ye've killed someone. Ye did it in self defence both times. She can'na hate ye for that," the voice says.

I sigh then rub the side of my head where the voice slapped me. "So you're saying that she doesn't care what I did and that she loves me just the same?" I ask scratching the side of my face.

The voice groans loudly. "Is'na what Ah've just said ye daft lass? Aye she loves you. More then ye will ever know. She loved ye when ye were together. She loved ye even when she did'na know who ye were. Ah would say that would be considered love. Dunna ye?" The voice asks.

I nod my head slightly. "Yeah. I guess it would," I say with a smile.

"Good. Now. Get yer butt back there and stop scaring that lass of yer's," the voice says and then all is black again.


Continued in Chapter 5

Return to the Academy