Impulse: Book Two

IT'S JUST THE BEGINNING

 
"Impulse: A sudden inclination or urge"
The American Heritage dictionary

 

By Mezzo

 

 

 

"This is Book Two in my series called Impulse.

If you haven't read Book One: AFTER ALL IS SAID, you might want to start there."

 

DISCLAIMERS: (see INSTALLMENT ONE)

 

Copyright © 2002 by Mezzo All Rights Reserved

 

Visit and join http://www.msnusers.com/mezzosmelodramas for story updates & downloads.

Email me at mezzosmelodramas@msn.com or post your comments and feedback at the site.

 

Sincerely,

Mezzo

 

*****************************************************************************************

 

 

INSTALLMENT TWO

 

INSTALLMENT THREE

 

"Uh... Hi Maggie." She wrenched her neck to look at a very concerned Maggie. "Long time no see ", Brett tried to say as nonchalantly as possible. She was plainly embarrassed by her position on Tori's shoulder.

 

Maggie had been the Hull's housekeeper and Nanny for almost 22 years. She had watched them all grow up. Besides being mother to her own son, Gibeau, she willingly accepted all the neighborhood kids as her adopted children. Always taking care of them and never afraid to let them know when they were out of line.

 

"Excuse me?" Maggie crouched down to get a better look at Victoria's victim. "My word... Is that my little sweet pea, Brett? I cannot remember when it was that I last saw you. I have so missed you. How's my little girl doing?" Maggie started to feel tears come to her eyes. She had always loved her kids. Little Brett especially. Brett was always such a kind-hearted girl. And because she had such a close relationship with her Victoria, it only endeared her even more.

 

"Maggie, I've been fine. I have missed you also. I was living in Michigan for a few years and now I'm living here in the city." Brett was really starting to feel the blood rush to her face. As she hung precariously over Tori's shoulder.

 

Victoria on the other hand had a goal in mind and refused to let go of her prey. She stood there hoping the two would finish soon. She was losing patience fast. "All my life I've been waiting for this opportunity...and now I have to listen to these two prattle on...'How've you been? What's the weather like?'" Tori chattered on to herself, not realizing that Brett and Maggie had both stopped talking and now listening to her go on. Tori continued. "You'd think just once... Just once I could get a break?" She shook her head from side to side. "But no. They have to go on and on and.... Ah.... Whoops." Realizing she was being watched. Tori looked down and swallowed with an audible gulp. "Did I say that out loud?" She knew she was in hot water.

 

Maggie took her place in front of Tori and put both hands on her hips. "And what do you...think you are doing, young woman? Prattling on, am I ? How many times have I had to put up with your nonsense throughout the years? I ask you?" Pointing her finger, she got right up into Tori's face. "Why may I ask are you carrying this poor child like this?" Tori had faced countless enemies in the court and boardroom. However, she could never beat Maggie. Truth is she did not want to. Tori loved Maggie with all her heart. Maggie had always tried to give Tori the kind of guidance that she had missed by not having her own mother with her. Although Tori's mother could never truly be replaced, Maggie always did whatever she could. By the only way she knew how: giving Tori a love she could always count on.

 

"Well, you see...uhm.... It's like this..." as Tori attempted to pull an answer out of thin air.

 

"Yes Victoria. This should be very good." Maggie replied smugly.

 

"We went dancing last night. Ah... ah...yeah. Brett was looking a little pale. You know some people can't hold their liquor well." Brett took that moment to slap a very convenient backside. "Ouch...I know it's hard Brett. You being a bit small and vertically challenged. You can't drink as much as the rest of us." Hearing Brett sigh in frustration, Tori continued. "So I told her she could sleep here. In case she got ill." Tori could hear Brett snickering. "When we got here, she said she was feeling a little weak...faint even..." Nodding her head hoping her explanation was gonna fly. "So being the kind person that I am....I volunteered my services to get her to safety." Smiling, feeling quite proud of herself. "So you see I'm really quite a hero when you think about it."

 

"I see..." Maggie started. "Well. Since you are in such a helpful mood, I'm sure you would be more than happy to carry your charge into that kitchen over there. So I can get a proper meal into her. We wouldn't want anything else to happen to her while she's under your care... Now would we?" Maggie waited for the slightest bit of argument. Upon not receiving any she continued, "...That's what I thought." Turning, Maggie walked toward the kitchen without another word. When Maggie was far enough away, a smile made its way to her face. She had been praying that Victoria would find love. If this morning was anything to go by, her prayers were finally answered.

 

Tori just stood there and sighed. "Well Brett," looking back. "I hope you're satisfied. Cause now, we won't be able to get away ‘til way past noon." Resigned to her fate, she made her way to the kitchen with an amused Brett still in tow.

 

Brett laughed in disbelief. "Tori...it doesn't take that long to have breakfast. Come on?" Suddenly wishing she had not teased Tori so much when she didn't receive an answer... It wouldn't take that long, would it? At that moment her over excited libido announced it's presence in full force. Sometimes the best-laid plans can really back fire. Brett sighed in resignation to her fate.

 

******

Tori wasn't exaggerating. It was now 1:30 and they were still seated at the table in the kitchen. Gibeau, Maggie's son and Gaston, her husband had joined them. They were also a part of the Hull household staff for close to 22 years. Gibeau had grown up with the rest of the kids. Being the eldest of the children at the time, he was given the duty of watching over all of them. He was like the eldest brother to the gang of thirteen. Gibeau was a licensed pilot and driver and now responsible for getting Tori and her family wherever they needed to be.

 

They had spent the last few hours catching up reminiscing about the "good ol' days". But two hours later, Tori was definitely getting a little rough around the edges, losing steam minute by minute. Finally unable to keep her eyes open anymore, Tori had to excuse herself.

 

"Well everyone. I'm sorry to have to leave this reunion but I really need to get some sleep", Tori stated in exhaustion.

 

"Oh yes, of course dear. Here we are chatting away and the two of you haven't even been to bed yet." Maggie hadn't realized how true her statement was on both accounts. "Listen? Why don't you two head up and I'll prepare something nice for you to have when you roll out of bed." Maggie said with affection.

 

"Thanks Maggie. That would be great." Tori bent down and planted a kiss on Maggie's forehead. She then reached for Brett's hand to help her up. "Maybe we'll see you all later." Tori gave them a wink. All eyes met knowing that they probably wouldn't see each other for the rest of the day....much less the entire weekend.

 

Tori and Brett walked up the stairs towards the master bedroom and a sudden shyness came over them. They both knew what they wanted but neither knew how to breach the subject.

 

Tori was the first to speak. "Listen Brett.... I know earlier you and I were playfully headed in this direction. Now that you've had some time to think about it, maybe you would feel more comfortable sleeping in one of the guest rooms? I've waited a long time to express how I feel for you and we can take as long as you want to move to the next level. I'm in no rush. Just being able to spend time with you like we have in the past few hours is enough for me." Tori wanted to alleviate any pressure that Brett may or may not be feeling.

 

Brett was so touched by how giving Tori was when it came to her. "Tori, I love how you always take my feelings into consideration. I don't think I've known anyone who made me feel as special as you do. But to be honest I'm in a bit of a quandary. On one hand, I really don't want to be away from you. On the other, I'm really tired and I don't think I could sleep with you in such close proximity. I honestly want to be fully rested when and if you and I take our relationship to the next level. Do you think it's possible for us to just sleep, you know like when we were kids and had a sleep over?"

 

Tori had to laugh at the shy inquisitive look that Brett was giving her. "Honey, the way I feel right now I don't think I'd be much good to you even if you wanted to move this to the next level." Then giving Brett a cocky smile, she recanted her statement. "Ah...But don't get me wrong. I'm always willing to give it a ‘good ole college try' though. I do have a reputation to keep you know." Smirking at the tongue in cheek look that Brett was giving her while, she shook her head from side to side.

 

"Don't worry heartbreaker. Your reputation is safe with me." Brett patted Tori gently on the chest. She then took Tori's hand and climbed the rest of the stairs entering Tori's bedroom.

 

Brett sat on the bed and Tori went to one of the dressers pulling out a pair of pajama bottoms and a cut off t-shirt for her, a green silk sleep shirt for Brett. She went into the linen closet in the bathroom and pulled out a fresh towel, washcloth, and toothbrush. Coming back into the bedroom, she went over to the bed and handed the items to Brett. "Sweetie...Why don't you go wash up first while I go and check my service for any messages."

 

Brett got up and kissed Tori on the cheek. "Thanks, I'll only be a minute." Taking the items, she headed for the bathroom.

 

TO BE CONTINUED. Installment Four

Return to Main Page

 

Impulse: Book Two

IT'S JUST THE BEGINNING

 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________