SLAM DUNK

by

Mickey Minner
mickeyminner.com

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Arriving at the arena Monday morning, Pat and Sherry went straight up to the team owner’s office having already alerted Mac to the recent development.

“Do you know for a fact it was her?” Mac asked.

“Who the hell else would it be?” Pat snapped.

Sherry reached over to place a hand on her irate lover’s arm. “No, we don’t know for sure,” she answered in a calmer voice. “But, Pat is right… who else would it be?”

Sipping from her coffee mug, Mac leaned back in her chair. “I agree, it was probably her,” she finally said after considering all she had been told. “Unfortunately, without knowing for sure, I can’t cancel her contract.”

“What?!” Pat exclaimed.

“I understand how you feel about this—”

“Do you?” Pat asked.

“Dammit, honey,” Sherry said squeezing the tense arm under her hand. “You’re pissed at Jackson… stop taking it out on the rest of us.”

Pat gazed at Sherry then turn back to face her boss. “Sorry, Mac,” she apologized. “We didn’t get a lot of sleep last night.”

“I could tell that by looking at you,” Mac said nodding understandingly. “Okay, let’s all try to stay rational. Now, as much as I would love to boot Jackson out, I can’t… legally. She has a contract and, for the most part, she has stuck to the terms of that contract.”

“What about the addendum you made her sign?” Sherry asked.

“You tell me… taking last night out of the equation, has she behaved since then?”

“There have been a couple of run-ins with Sherry.”

“But they happened in public places and we can’t prove they were anything but accidental,” Sherry added reluctantly.

“And that’s my problem,” Mac explained. “Without concrete proof she has violated her contract, I run the risk of a lawsuit if I cut her before the season ends.”

“This stinks,” Pat muttered.

“I agree.”

“What about your investigation, Mac?” Sherry asked.

“It’s uncovered a couple of things but nothing that would explain Jackson’s behavior.”

“What did you find out?” Pat asked.

“Let’s wait a few days,” Mac told her. “I’ve got a few more pokers in the fire… let’s see what they bring to light. I know that’s not what you want to hear but, truth is, Jackson will be gone one way or another when her contract expires next week.”

“I want answers,” Sherry said firmly.

“So do I,” Pat agreed.

“As do I,” Mac said. “Give me a few more days… I think we’ll have those answers.”

“In the meantime?” Pat asked.

“You go back to practice and do what you need to do to win back my trophy. And Pat,” Mac said as the coach stood. “No mention of this… to anyone… especially Jackson. You’re going to have to forget it for now. You too, Sherry.”

“I’m not sure I can,” Sherry muttered as she also stood.

“I’m counting on the two of you to do just that… understand?”

“Alright, Mac, we’ll do it,” Pat said. “But you better have something for us before we leave for Toledo.”

“I’m working on it, Pat,” Mac assured them.

#

“I hate it when she does that,” Pat grumbled pushing a button on the elevator panel to take them down to the arena’s main floor.

“Does what?” Sherry asked slumping against the back wall of the car.

Pat stepped back to join Sherry. “Says she has something but won’t tell us what it is.”

“I got the feeling whatever it is, it’s not enough to use against Jackson.”

“I know what I’d like to use against her,” Pat stated harshly raising a coiled fist up in front of her.

“Honey, you can’t hit her.”

Pat let her hand drop. “I know. But I’d like to.”

Sherry shifted to lean against her frustrated lover. “Me too,” she said then sighed. “Well, Mac was right about one thing.”

“Which is?”

“One way or another, Jackson is gone after this week.”

“Sometimes, I think Mac is nuts for insisting rookies can only sign one year contracts… but I’m sure glad she did it with Jackson.”

“Yep,” Sherry agreed as the elevator doors opened. “Come on, Coach, let’s go release some of our stress by yelling at the players.”

Pat grinned. “Uh oh,” she said, “you figured out my secret.”

Sherry laughed. “Oh, sweetheart, I figured that out a long time ago.”

#

“Move, move, move,” Pat shouted in frustration then blew her whistle. “I don’t want to see anyone standing,” she told the players positioned around the court. “If we’re moving, LA has to move too. Dimchek, I don’t care what your defender does, keep running.”

“Got it, Coach.”

“Point guards, you have to take control during play… if a teammate is lagging, let them know it.”

“Got it, Coach.”

“Hudson, when you’re open… shoot the damn ball.”

“Yes, Coach.”

“Okay, ladies, let’s take a break… but not too long of one.” Pat watched the players run off the court to retrieve their water bottles then turned to walk to the sideline.

“They look good,” Kelley observed falling into step with Pat as she neared the side of the court.

“Most of them,” Pat muttered dropping into a seat in the front row.

Sherry trotted over to sit beside Pat then offered her a bottle of water.

“For two days, Jackson has been slogging around like she has three feet. Why aren’t you chewing her ass?” Kelley asked claiming the seat on the other side of the head coach.

Pat accepted a bottle from Sherry then twisted the cap off. “That’s what I have you for,” she said after taking a long drink of the cold liquid.

“She’s not listening to me,” Kelley said gloomily. “You need to talk to her.”

Pat shook her head. “She’s a lost cause. Let her screw around this week if she wants… she’s done with this team as soon as Saturday’s game is over.”

“Pat, you can’t just ignore her… the other players are starting to complain.”

“Look, Kelley,” Pat sat up then twisted to face her assistant, “I want Jackson out of my life… our lives. But I can’t do that until we get through one more game. She’s not active… she’s not going to play. In fact, she’s not even going to participate in practice anymore. She can sit the rest of the week… she can sit when we get to Toledo… and she’ll sit during the game. If she wants to continue acting like a jackass until Mac signs her walking papers,” she slumped back in her seat, “hell, I don’t care.”

Kelley studied the miserable woman beside her. “I’m not stupid, Pat… I’ve watched you and Sherry avoid Jackson like the plague this week. Something is going on and, as part of your coaching staff, I think I have a right to know. But you keep your damn secrets,” she snapped standing.

“Wait a minute,” Pat stopped her assistant. “You’re right, there is some crap going on,” she explained. “Stuff you should know about. But we can’t tell you… not because we don’t want to but because Mac won’t let us. We’re hoping it will all be done by Toledo but it may not. Please… let’s just get through this week as best we can without having to bother with Jackson. Okay?”

Kelley looked from Pat to Sherry and saw the frustration reflected in the eyes. “Okay… but when it’s all over, I expect an explanation.”

“And you’ll get it,” Pat guaranteed her assistant. “I’m really sorry, Kelley… I wish we could tell you.”

Knowing Pat and Sherry were under Mac’s orders to stay silent, Kelley was willing to let the matter drop. “Okay, I’ll let it go for now,” she said then turned and walked across the court.

“I hate this,” Sherry muttered.

“Me, too.”

#

Dawn Montgomery checked her travel bag for the third time then zipped it closed.

“You’re not worried about the game, are you?” Mandy Christopher asked her pensive lover.

“No,” Dawn replied frowning. “Why should I be?”

Mandy shrugged. “Just thought maybe… you know, going against your formal teammates, and all.”

Dawn sat on the edge of the couch to put on her shoes. “Are you flying to Toledo for the game?” she asked ignoring Mandy’s comment.

“Oh, sweetie, I wish I could but the team says it’s not part of my job to attend games.”

“You could buy your own ticket.”

Mandy laughed. “As if.”

“So what do you plan to do the next few days?” Dawn asked tying her laces.

“Oh, I don’t know. Maybe some shopping… who knows? I’m sure I’ll keep myself entertained.”

“No, doubt,” Dawn muttered standing. “Do you have time in your busy schedule to drive me to the arena? We supposed to be there for the bus in an hour.”

“Oh, sure… let me grab my keys.”

Walking to the coat rack beside the apartment’s door, Dawn retrieved a light jacket then slipped her arms into the sleeves.

“Okay, sweetie, I’m ready,” Mandy said returning from the bedroom. “Wait,” she exclaimed when her lover bent down to pick up her bag. “No goodbye kiss?”

Dawn moved to where Mandy stood pouting. “Geez, you act like a five year old at times,” she said wrapping her long arms around the smaller woman. Just as her lips were about to meet her lover’s the phone rang.

“Wait a minute,” Mandy exclaimed. “Gotta get that.”

“Why?” Dawn asked her arms still holding firm.

“Sweetie, let me go,” Mandy insisted. “It could be important.”

“More important than me?” Dawn glared. “Damn it, Mandy, what’s going on?”

“Nothing,” Mandy insisted. “Oh, damn, you made me miss them,” she said when the phone stopped ringing.

Dawn released her disappointed lover. “Mandy, when I get back we’re going to sit down and talk.”

Mandy smiled innocently. “About what, sweetie.”

“About what ever is going on with you. Oh no, don’t try to deny it… I know damn well you’re up to no good.”

“Oh, sweetie, you’re just nervous about the game.”

Dawn gazed at her lover for several minutes. “Come on,” she finally said. “I can’t be late for the bus.” She walked back to her bag then lifted it off the carpeted floor.

“I’m right behind you, sweetie.”

Dawn reached for the door handle then stopped. Turning around, she leaned against the door studying her lover thoughtfully. “You know, I don’t think I told you about the strange conversation I had with one of the Cougar players before our last game.”

“No, I don’t think you did,” Mandy said indifferently.

“Funny thing, she asked me questions about Sherry and Coach’s relationship.”

“Why do you call her that?” Mandy snapped. “You don’t play for the Cougars any more.”

“It’s a matter of respect, Mandy… something you seem to have trouble with.”

“Why are you telling me this now? I thought you had a bus to get to.”

“I do,” Dawn said stepping away from the door. “I just found it odd she would ask about that. Don’t you?”

Mandy scooted between Dawn and the open door. “I’ll warm up the car.”

Skeptically, Dawn watched Mandy scurry down the steps to the parking lot before locking the door. “We live in LA… do cars need to be warmed up?” she muttered locking the door.

#

To Be Continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Autor's Page