Young At Heart

Part 7

By Muzza

Copyright © 1999 Ceri Murray


DISCLAIMERS:- BEEN THERE, DONE THAT SEE PART I 


Chapter 29

As Jamie and Tegan entered the house the smell of bacon and eggs wafted through the air. One of the treats John allowed himself on a Saturday was a proper English Breakfast, which consisted of bacon, eggs, sausages, fried tomatoes, waffles, fried bread and black pudding. Everything basically that was bad for him.

"Morning Dad." Jamie said, as her and Tegan walked into the house and joined John at the table. "I'm just going to get changed." Jamie stood up again, "T. do you want to borrow a Liverpool shirt of mine. I have a collection of home and away ones with different names and numbers on the back. I know it'll be a bit big for you but it's yours if you want it?"

"That would be great," Tegan agreed. "Thanks. Do you want me to come up and get it now?"

"Yeah come on then." Jamie smiled, taking Tegan by the hand, glad that the younger woman had gotten over being worried about showing their relationship in front of the family. Something she had been reluctant to do at first. Now it seemed like the most natural thing in the world. "Is Robin up yet?"

"I don't think he has been asleep yet. He has been wound up about this match all week. It is the Cup you know. Liverpool getting to the final was a good achievement but beating, United for the cup will be wonderful." John reminded his eldest daughter. The cup for Liverpool, was a way into the European competition for Liverpool. At the moment Liverpool were top of the league two points ahead of the nearest rivals Manchester United in the league as well.

* * * * *

Shortly afterwards Tegan and Jamie came back down the stairs and joined the whole family at the table both of them decked out in the Liverpool stuff. Jamie had decided to wear her away shirt with Owen 10 on the back and Tegan had decided to wear Redknapp 11. Robin was wearing his goal keeper shirt with James 1 on the back.

They talked for a couple of minutes while Robin finished his food and then the three of us headed out the door. Just as Jamie was shutting the door behind her there was a loud beep. They turned around and there was the mini bus waiting for them. They smiled and walked towards the bus. Robin sat with one of his friends, while Jamie and Tegan sat at the back of the mini bus.

Jamie was really glad to be gong to the match like this. It didn't hurt to have Tegan sitting right next to her. Jamie sat thinking about how her life had changed since she met Tegan. The most important one being, she finally felt what the poems said was love. It was the most amazing feeling she had ever experienced.

Jamie had ordered all of the tickets together and luckily they were all seated together. They were all in the home end as Liverpool was playing as the home team.

The journey up was a long ride. It was four hours by mini bus so they were all pretty stiff and bored, so two and a half hours into the journey they stopped and went to the toilets and had a drink. Then we decided to go to the toilet again. Just in case.

The rest of the journey was pretty quiet. They all just wanted to get there to watch the game and watch Liverpool annihilate Man United.

When they finally got there, Tegan thought it was nice to get out and just stretch their legs. She could feel the beginnings of a cramp in her lower back. They all walked around Wembley and got programmes for the game. They were still walking around when the Man United bus pulled up. The players got out and walked straight into the locker room. Soon after the Liverpool bus turned up and the players got off and they even signed autographs for whoever they could. Jamie and Tegan managed to get Michael Owen's, Robbie Fowler's Steve McManaman's, Karl-Heinz Riedle and American keeper Brad Friedel. They would go nicely with Jamie's collection of Paul Ince, Jason McAteer, Patrik Berger and Vegaard Heggem.

When the players went in, they moved back around out of the way of the horses before going to their seats. Paul, Rhiannon and Michael sat behind Tegan, Jamie, Robin and the rest of the group.

Before the game started the Liverpool anthem, 'You'll Never Walk Alone,' played over the speakers and everyone sang along. Then the players came out and Wembley went wild.

The game went well. Liverpool were 2-1 up at half time with goals from Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler for Liverpool and David Beckham for United.

The second half started off pretty much the same way as the first half finished - all Liverpool. After half an hour of the second half had gone, David Beckham struck again. Andy Cole was brought down by Paul Ince just outside the box. Beckham stepped up to take the free kick. James never stood a chance, it ended up right in the right hand corner.

With two minutes to go, it was still 2-2. United had a corner. David James caught the ball and threw the ball to Owen who was on his own. Owen picked up the ball and attacked the Liverpool End. He ran past Neville, sent Stam the wrong way, leaving only Dennis Irwin and Peter Schmeichal to beat. Irwin went in for the tackle, Owen sent the ball to his right jumped over the tackle, leaving him one on one with Schmeichal. Fowler was running up to help, but Owen didn't need him, he took the shot. Everyone in Wembley held their breath. The United fans praying Schmeichal saved it, the Liverpool fans hoping Owen scored. Jamie and Tegan watched as if in slow motion as the ball headed for the top right hand corner, it looked like it was going in until at the last minute. Schmeichal got a hand in the way and saved it. The United fans cheered the Liverpool fans kept their eyes on the ball as it came back out and landed right at Owen's feet. He wasn't going to blow the second chance. He shot and he scored. The Liverpool fans went mad. Then, like in any typical game, the final whistle went. Liverpool had won the Cup. It was wonderful.

There were people crying around us, people screaming and cheering. The atmosphere was brilliant there. The United fans were heartbroken and in a way Jamie and Tegan had to feel sorry for them. They had been in that situation before and they knew how it felt. Then they thought about how the United fans rubbed it in when it was the other way around and they didn't feel sorry for them anymore.

When the celebrations were over and Paul Ince had lifted the Cup, everyone started to leave. The celebrations carried on until they all arrived back at the mini bus.

All in joyous moods as they started the long journey home. Jamie was slightly disappointed that they hadn't seen Tegan's father, because she really wanted to let him know how she felt about his daughter and how she felt about him.

Unknown to them, they hadn't gone unnoticed by Tegan's father or the press. Neither could expect what was to come next.

* * * * *

"Jenny, can I have a word with you please?" Mayor Rhys shouted angrily at his daughter, when he arrived home from the football match. He was absolutely fuming to say the least. He had witnessed the most disgusting act his mind could possibly fathom. Two women walking through the match holding hands, even sharing a kiss when they thought no-one was looking. It made him feel sick. Especially when he got a good look at the smallest of the two women and spotted his own daughter. His own flesh and blood acting like a slut in front of everyone and more importantly in front of the national newspapers. Then he had gotten a good look at the other woman and recognised her immediately, as the woman who had come to his house to see Jenny.

After hearing her father call her, Jenny made her way downstairs. Since Tegan had left Jenny had been spending more time in her room. She couldn't stand to be in the same room as her father for very long. When she looked at him, she remembered the heartbreak and pain she had seen on Tegan's face when he had sent her away, and no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't forgive him for that.

"Yes Father" She sighed as she reached the bottom of the stairs. Facing her very angry father, when she saw the hatred and anger in his eyes she flinched. 'This isn't going to be good,' she thought to herself.

"I was wondering what happened to that young woman that came to see you a couple of months ago. I haven't see her for a while, who was she?" He asked, in a tone that said, 'I'm not going take no for an answer.'

Jenny thought back through the months wondering who he was talking about, then it hit her. 'He's talking about Jamie,' she thought, 'what does he know?'

"Answer me." He shouted, cursing his daughter for disobeying him.

"She was just a friend." Jenny lied, she wasn't going to betray Tegan. He could beat her as much as he liked, she wouldn't do that to her sister.

"A friend of Tegan's." It was more of a statement than a question.

Jenny looked into his eyes again and then knew it was pointless lying, he already knew the answer. "What do you think?" She asked him, refusing to say the words he wanted to hear.

"What I think is that your sister is a slut, who was all over that whore like a rash at the match today. Wearing a Liverpool shirt I might add." He told her, feeling sick again at the thought of anyone doing that in private, let alone public.

"Oh." Jenny knew there was nothing she could say to that. She couldn't deny it, so she never even tried.

"I send her away for her own good and she betrays her own family by becoming a homosexual slut." Thomas continued to pace the room before cursing everyone and then leaving the house.

Jenny shook her head and walked back upstairs. Knowing that tonight wasn't going to be a good night. It never was when he came back from the club.

* * * * *

Mayor's Daughter With Millionaire Lesbian Lover

Thomas Rhys Mayor of River's End must have suffered a major kick in the pants yesterday, when his youngest daughter 16 year old Tegan was spotted at the Cup Final between Manchester United and Liverpool, wearing a Liverpool shirt. Mayor Rhys has always led us to believe that all his family supported United, but after yesterday it was obvious that Tegan is a rebel.

The Major kick in the pants is, however, the fact that Tegan was photographed holding hands and kissing the daughter of Millionaire John Phillips. Jamie Phillips has never hid her sexuality from anyone and apparently Tegan is fed up of hiding also.

"Jamie and Tegan are crazy about each other," said a friend yesterday "All you have to do is look at them to see that."

"Jamie and Tegan are a new couple but it is very serious." Another friend told us "They both deserve it."

We tried to talk to the couple yesterday but failed, so we'll bring you more on this breaking news tomorrow.

* * * * *

Jamie and Tegan sat in Jamie's apartment and couldn't believe what they were reading. They hadn't seen any reporters or anything at the match and they cursed themselves for forgetting about the papers.

It had been so peaceful during the last couple of months, without them being involved in the papers, that they had forgotten they were in the public eye. Now it was out and Jamie was worried about Tegan. She would have to take a lot of stick from her schoolmates over this, 'and what about her father?' Jamie thought angrily. 'He's never going to let this go.'

Finally shaking herself out of her thoughts she looked to Tegan. "T. I'm so sorry." She said, "I should have thought about this."

Tegan just smiled at her. "It doesn't matter." She assured her. "I was getting tired of hiding how I feel for you anyway."

Jamie looked at her surprised, she hadn't expected that at all. "Really?" Jamie searched Tegan's face for any signs of worry or doubt but saw none, as Tegan leaned over and kissed her.

Tegan smiled when they broke apart. "I love you, Jamie." She told her seriously. "Nothing is ever going to change that." She looked into the gorgeous yes of her lover. "I'm not going to lose this."

Jamie wrapped her arms around Tegan and held her close. "I love you, too."

"So that doesn't bother me." Tegan assured her.

"But you're father is bound to read this, are you sure you can handle that?" Jamie asked, knowing that if Tegan wanted too, they could try and convince the press there was nothing between them.

"I came to a decision about my father the other day, Jamie." Tegan told her, hoping Jamie wouldn't get skittish at this. "He's already taken so much from me. I refuse to let him take you away from me and I also refuse to let him take this baby away from me." She searched Jamie's face for her reaction and saw what looked like joy sparkle in those blue eyes.

"Does that mean you're going to keep the baby?" Jamie asked, not daring to hope.

"Yes I'm going to keep the baby." She said it out loud for the first time and it felt wonderful. "I'm going to need your help though. I can't do this by myself."

"Tegan." Jamie lifted the green eyes to look into hers. "I swear to you that I will treat this baby as my own, if you will let me. I love you and this baby. It is a part of you."

Tegan felt the tears in her eyes and did nothing to stop them from overflowing. Everything was right in her little world.

Jamie and Tegan had everything they needed right there and they were at peace.

"Jamie, can I ask you a personal question?" Tegan remembered something she had been meaning to ask for a while.

"Sure." Jamie smiled, tightening her grip on her partner.

"What happened between you and Becky?" Tegan looked into startled blue eyes. "You don't have to answer if you don't want too." She quickly added, not wanting to make Jamie uncomfortable.

Jamie was surprised by the question. It wasn't a question she had expected to come from Tegan. She thought about whether or not she wanted to tell Tegan or not and was surprised to find that she did. She just didn't know how. "Becky is two years older than me and we met down in the Triclub when I had just turned 16. We spent a lot of time together getting to know each other and I thought I was in love. I brought her home to meet the family and everything. I really thought she was the one I wanted to spend my life with. Towards the end of our relationship it started to get really bad. She hooked up with the wrong people and got into drugs. She started stealing from me to feed her habit." Jamie paused for a minute, remembering the thin, pale face of the woman she thought she was in love with. Everyday got harder for Jamie, as she tried to fight a losing battle for the attention of the woman she had lost to drugs. She looked down as she felt small, warm hands cover hers, then she carried on. "Becky wasn't exactly a small girl. She was an inch shorter than me and she had a lot of muscle. I told her I couldn't take anymore and that she could have to choose between me and the drugs. She got mad and she beat me up, which is no small task." Jamie joked, but her heart was hurting from the pain and betrayal she still felt when she thought of Becky. "I was in hospital for three days because of that. That didn't matter to me because Becky choose the drugs. She tried to get me to take her back and when I refused she did the one thing I could never forgive her for."

Tegan waited patiently for Jamie to compose her thoughts, knowing it must be hard for her friend. "What happened next?" She finally asked.

"I went to pick Robin up from school one day and when I got there, his teacher told me that Becky had picked him up. Robin knew Becky so he with her. Later that night, I had a phone call off her. She demanded one million pounds in her bank account within twenty four hours, or we would never see Robin again. Luckily she was treating him good so he didn't even know he was in a hostage situation." Jamie explained, the disgust she felt towards Becky was evident in her voice, but Tegan sensed something else, she sensed fear.

"Did you pay the money?" Tegan asked, quietly, not wanting to push Jamie.

"No, I knew Becky wouldn't hurt Robin anyway, but I told her the school had informed the police and they were on the way over to her house. Becky panicked and split, sending Robin home in a taxi. We decided not to press charges against her, because we didn't want to put Robin through that." Jamie admitted. "I've seen her around once or twice and I've got letter's off her saying she'll make sure I'm hers next time."

Tegan couldn't believe what Becky had done to her lover, but she still sensed there was more to it that that, so she waited quietly until Jamie clamed herself enough to speak. "She was my official public coming out." Jamie admitted "Not long after we broke up, it appeared in all the newspapers, Millionaire Daughter's Romp with Female Druggie. I've still got the article here somewhere."

'God she's a bitch.' Tegan thought sadly. 'How was Jamie ever able to let that go?' Knowing what she did now, helped Tegan understand why everyone hated Becky so much. She hadn't even met the woman and she hated her. "I'm sorry you had to go through that."

Jamie just smiled "It made me a stronger person after a while. When it first happened I got so depressed, I stopped eating and I got really sick. I might not have been here now if it wasn't for Robin after that." Jamie admitted. "He asked me not to die ant that was it. I couldn't turn him down."

"I'm glad you didn't." Tegan sighed, snuggling back against Jamie and decided that if she had been a cat she would have been purring.

They just sat there enjoying the calm before the storm they knew was ahead.

* * * * *

It was quite calm in Mayor Rhys house late on Saturday night. Thomas still hadn't come home from the pub and Jenny knew that World War three would whirl in the same time he did.

Every time he was in a mood he went to the pub and he would come back drunk and violent. Jenny knew tonight wouldn't be any different. Jenny was just glad that the object of his anger wasn't actually there this time. Maybe he would go easy on he rest of them. 'Yeah right,' Jenny told herself sarcastically. 'If Tegan isn't here then he will take it out on the nearest thing. You know this.' Sometimes when she knew what was coming Jenny just wanted to pack her things and leave, but she couldn't do that to her mother. If Jenny wasn't there to take some of the beatings then her father could end up killing her mother and she wasn't going to let that happen.

Shortly after 11.30pm it started.

There was a big bang as the front door was slammed. Thomas Rhys was in the house. His loud voice bellowed below and then his heavy footsteps were coming up the stairs and making their way to the her room.

There was a slight pause before the door flew open and he was stood in front of her. His angry eyes looking right through her. She shivered slightly at the thought of what was going to happen.

"Where is she?" He shouted as he grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her out of bed.

Jenny looked in the brown eyes of her father and saw nothing there that she recognised. There were the typical anger and hate there and that was it. "Who?" She asked, trying to keep her voice steady.

"That slut of your sister, where is she?" He asked again.

"In Seaview where you sent her. How should I know?" Jenny answered him truthfully.

She felt the slap before she even seen him raise his hand and she knew that when she looked in the mirror tomorrow there would be a nice sized bruise there.

"Don't smart mouth me girl." He told her, "I know that she has told you were she is. That is what that whore was doing here. NOW TELL ME." He was shouting so much that her eardrums hurt.

"No she came here to tell me that Tegan was safe. She never told me where she was." Jenny lied. 'I'm not going to do that to Tegan', she kept repeating over in her head.

"You lie," He growled, punching her in the stomach. "Haven't you learnt your lesson yet?"

"Don't Tom." Came a voice from behind her. "She doesn't know where Tegan is." Her mother seeming every part the protective mother she wanted to be at that moment.

"Are you lying to me as well woman. I hate liars." He dropped Jenny to the floor, before pushing his wife out of the door. "I'll deal with you later, Jennifer."

With that her mother was pushed into her room and Jenny sat quietly listening to the beating her mother was getting in the next room. She wanted to go in there and help but she knew it was pointless.

* * * * *

Dear Tegan,

Hi Sis, I know it isn't my turn to write to you, but I am sitting here trying not to listen to him beating Mom again. He came home from the match today absolutely furious. He saw you with Jamie and he recognised her as the one that visited me a couple of months ago. He saw you kissing her as well. Wasn't a very bright idea there girl. I want so much to go in there and beat the hell out of him, but I'm scared. I wish I could do something to make him stop, I honestly thought he was going to kill me tonight when I refused to tell him where you were staying. I'm going to have a nice bruise on my cheek tomorrow and I'm not going to able to hide it.

Anyway how did you enjoy the match. He said you were wearing a Liverpool shirt, something that didn't go down well either. I'm glad you have left here Tegan I really am and take my advice, no matter what you do with the baby,' please' don't come back here. Maybe one day I could come and live with you because, I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Be Well Tegan,

Hear from you soon.

Jenny

Jenny reread the letter once more before quickly placing it in on envelope, addressing and sealing it. Hiding it in her bag so she could post it the following day. She listened out quietly, pleased that it had gone quiet for a while at least. She didn't wait long before she finally settled down for sleep. As she drifted off she, once again thanked God that her little sister was safe and away from the horrors in the house.


Chapter 30

The sun was shining brightly. Spreading different shades of colour across the bedroom. Tegan and Jamie were already awake on Monday morning sighing reluctantly as Tegan remembered she had school. 'Sometimes school isn't as great as it seems,' she smiled at herself. 'You only want to stay here because Jamie's here.' They had broken their own rule last night. Neither of them had wanted to leave each other last night, so they had spent the night together. Tegan smiled as she thought about how nice the last three nights had been. They had made love more times than she could count and everyone of them had been fantastic and mostly different. Sometimes it was as if the end of the world was coming and the loving was frantic, sometimes it was playful and teasing but most of the time it was slow and tender, the coming together of two souls. Sighing Tegan buried her head into Jamie's shoulder and tightened her grip.

"T. you've got to get ready for school," Jamie smiled, feeling Tegan burrow even closer. "Even though I would rather stay her with you."

"Can't we just say I'm sick?" Tegan asked, hopefully. Knowing already what the answer would be.

"What you mean play hooky?" Jamie smirked, knowing that it was too close to her exams for Tegan to be playing hooky. "You know you can't do that T."

"I know, I know." Tegan moaned, knowing Jamie was right. 'As usual,' she thought wryly.

Jamie got out of bed and put the kettle on before pulling Tegan off the bed. "Come on, honey," she smiled. "You're not making this any easier."

"It's not 'supposed to be easier." Tegan reminded her getting an arched eyebrow for her trouble. Giggling the small blonde turned and headed to the bathroom.

* * * * *

As Jamie walked out of the house she was surprised when a flash came from directly in front of her. She lifted her head and saw a gang of reporters waiting anxiously for her. "Great," She mumbled to herself." Just great."

The reporters were there for the big follow up to the story in the paper the day before and now Jamie realized that it might have been better for them to have stayed in bed. Tegan was just waiting for her to get the car out and then she would be down and in the spotlight as well. Thinking quickly Jamie jumped into the Rover and picked up her mobile phone.

She dialled the house phone and it wasn't long before her father answered. "Hello?" Came the voice on the other side of the phone.

"Dad can you do me a favour?" Jamie asked, checking the reporters behind her, making sure they weren't getting to close.

"Sure honey what is it?" He asked, it wasn't very often Jamie asked for anything off him and he was always happy to oblige.

"If you look out the window you will see that there is a group of reporters outside our front door. I would have thought you would have seen them by now. Anyway they are here because of me and Tegan, I'm sure of it. I am going to leave now. Can you take Tegan to school?" She hadn't even had a chance to say goodbye to Tegan and that had upset her more than she thought possible. Then she chastised herself for being stupid.

"Of course I can do that, but I seriously don't think Tegan is going to like that." John told his daughter, in fact he knew that Tegan was just going to storm out of the door and tell Jamie that she didn't hide from anything. He knew this because Tegan was standing right next to him, eyebrow raised at what Jamie was telling her father.

"I'll be right there, Jamie." Tegan shouted over the phone, before smiling at John and heading out the door.

"I should have known that wouldn't work." Jamie sighed, as she spotted Tegan coming out of the door, cameras flashing left, right and centre. "I'll see you later, Dad."

"Yeah," John said, smiling to himself. "You've got a real live wire there, Jamie."

"Tell me about it." With that Jamie hung up the phone, just as Tegan got into the car. "Do you ever listen?"

"Not very often." Tegan admitted. "Jamie I am not hiding from these people. They already know what we are, why bother trying to hide it. I'm not ashamed of you. Are you ashamed of me?" Tegan's voice had started off strong but by the end of her statement, she sounded unsure.

"Of course I'm not ashamed of you." Jamie was surprised by the insecurity in Tegan's voice. "Don't you know that by now? If I could I'd shout it from the top of Ben Nevis, that I love you more than anything."

"Really?" Tegan asked, smiling again.

"Really." Jamie assured her, before looking at Tegan questioningly.

Tegan answered her question by leaning over and kissing her softly on the lips. Smiling at the frantic flashing going on around the car. "Let's go."

Jamie shook herself before putting the car in reverse and pulling out of the driveway.

* * * * *

"Are you sure you can handle this now?" Jamie asked, as the pulled up outside the school.

"Jamie, I said I'm fine, now please believe that I'm fine." Tegan shook her head, as she got out of the car. "I'll see you later. Are you picking me up?"

"Of course." Jamie smiled, as Tegan returned the gesture, shut the door and left. Jamie watched as her younger lover headed off to meet the sharks at sea. It was going to be hell for the small blonde, that much was obvious.

* * * * *

"Hey Tegan read about you in the paper yesterday." One of the boys said, as she arrived outside her home room. "Never pictured you as a dyke" he sneered at her "So have you slept with her yet?" He asked, the disgust he felt at this was pretty evident in his voice.

"I don't believe that is any of your business." Tegan said, flatly, refusing to let him get the better of him.

"No wonder she wasn't interested in me then." The boy said, to his mates, glad to have his reputation back. He had always been the boy that could have any girl he wanted, 'any straight girl,' he told himself. When Tegan had turned him down his ego and his reputation went down with it. Now once everyone realized Tegan was gay, that wouldn't matter.

"No actually, I wasn't interested in you because your a jerk." Tegan said, defiantly. These last few months had really improved her self confidence and she was now willing to stand up for herself, where as before she would have let what Andrew was saying get to her.

"You go girl," Sophie smiled, when she came to a stop by Tegan. "Everything going ok?"

"Yeah." Tegan assured her.

"You think you're so big because you've got a big girlfriend don't you?" Andrew snapped coming closer to Tegan. "Well you girlfriend isn't here now, what is she going to do about it?"

"Nothing, but I will." Came a voice from behind the pair. There stood Mr. Hughes, very angry at Andrew. "Andrew you will be coming down to see Mr. Jones, with me shortly, so don't go anywhere. Tegan are you ok?"

"I'm fine, Sir." She smiled at him, as he opened the door and let the class in. Mr. Hughes done the register and then took Andrew down to see Mr. Jones.

Tegan watched them leave with a sigh of relief, she had expected to get some comments today about her relationship with Jamie, but she hadn't expected it to come from one of her classmates. As Andrew and Mr. Hughes disappeared down the stairs, Tegan knew it wasn't over, it had just started.

* * * * *

The rest of the day was hell for Tegan, she got abuse from a few people, but most of them smiled at her and told her that they accepted her as she was. The ones that didn't, though, seemed to be the loudest. She even had an egg thrown at her at dinner time, while she was getting ready to go and have dinner. That upset her more than anything. It hadn't hit her, just flew straight past but that wasn't the point. She was just about to head down to the village for something to eat, when a movement caught her eye. She turned to see what it was and almost cried when she saw Jamie standing there. She moved towards her partner, without a thought about the rest of the world, all she wanted to do was feel safe, loved and warm in those arms.

Jamie had spotted Tegan walking out of the school, and the dejected slump of her shoulders almost broke the dark woman's heart. She had known it wasn't going to be easy for Tegan, but when she had received the phone call off her mother, telling her to come and pick Tegan up, because she was really upset about the things happen, Jamie had been there like a shot.

As Tegan started to walk towards her, Jamie started forward as well and they met in the middle. Jamie was surprised when Tegan practically jumped into her arms and at that moment in time, nothing else mattered. The press, the close-minded idiots that had caused Tegan this pain to start with, none of them mattered.

"Ssh." Jamie comforted her. "It's gonna to be ok." She placed Tegan back on the floor, when she started to settle down a bit and then she walked her over to the car. She got into the back seat before pulling Tegan down with her. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry about that." Tegan said, shyly, wondering what had come over her.

"It's ok." Jamie wrapped her arms around her partner, trying to give her as much comfort as she could. It had obviously been a rough day.

"Not that I mind or anything, but what are you doing here?" Tegan asked. "We weren't supposed to meet for dinner were we?"

Jamie shook her head. "No. I got a phone call of Mom this morning. Saying that you were being upset by some kids in school and that I should come and see you. Well here I am." Jamie smiled. "So you want to go back to school or come home with me?"

"I'm going to stay here." Tegan told her. "I am not going to let these people win. If I go home now, how can I face them tomorrow?"

Jamie knew she was right. You give in to these people once and you were at their mercy forever. Jamie would have done exactly the same thing. She had done exactly the same thing, when everyone had given her stick about her sexuality, she had stood proud, not ashamed of who she was, or what she was. If people couldn't accept that, then that was their problem, not hers. Instead of getting mad or showing that she was upset, she had written one of the best songs that Plain Lazy perform at that time. Situations usually helped her write her music and the best situation for her to write about now was love. She sighed deeply as she tightened her hold on Tegan.

Tegan was comfortable in those arms and when she heard Jamie sigh and tighten her hold she just burrowed more deeply into those arms. They stayed there until everyone started going back to their home rooms for the start of the second half of their day. Then reluctantly Tegan got of the car, surprising Jamie, who was also getting out, with a kiss in front of everyone and not caring at all. "I love you." Tegan smiled at the bewildered look on her partner's face.

"I love you too." Jamie told her seriously. "If it gets to bad for you this afternoon, you give me a ring and I'll be here. I'm also going to pick you up from school. Right here ok?"

Tegan nodded her head. "Ok." Then she turned and left.

Jamie watched as she walked back towards the school. She saw some of the looks the younger woman was getting, but she also noticed the way that Tegan's back straightened, her head was raised and she carried herself with pride. 'Some things never change.' came a small voice in the back of her mind. Jamie frowned at it, before dismissing it and getting into the car and driving back to work.

* * * * *

The afternoon went pretty much the same for Tegan as the morning had. She got stick off one or two people, but she got congratulations of many people. A gang of boys had come up to her once just before the last lesson and she had started to panic but when they turned around and asked her how she managed to capture the most popular girl in Seaview, she knew she was safe.

The teachers had kept a surprisingly close on her all day, wanting to know if she was ok and that the stick wasn't getting to much for her.

Even though it hadn't been a really bad day, she was more than grateful when the final bell went. She had to stop herself from running to the car to meet Jamie, because she didn't want to embarrass her partner anymore than she did that morning.

Jamie was stood patiently by the car waiting for her. Tegan looked at her again and realized how lucky she was. Jamie was gorgeous, there was no getting away from that. The way the sun reflected off her hair, made it look like silk. Her blue eyes were recognisable anywhere, her high cheek bones enhanced her beauty. Just to look at her made Tegan's chest hurt. The way Jamie looked at her, made her feel like her heart was going to explode. 'I wonder if she feels like this when she looks at me', she thought to herself, as she came to a stop in front of Jamie. "Good afternoon."

"Good afternoon to you, too, Miss." Jamie greeted her. "How was your day in school?"

"Not to bad," Tegan admitted. "I'm glad it's over though."

"For today." Jamie handed her a copy of today's newspaper and it didn't make for promising reading.

Millionaire Jamie Phillips flips for Mayor's Daughter.

Gorgeous Jamie Phillips is romancing sexy teenager Tegan Rhys, who is the youngest daughter of Thomas Rhys, the Mayor of River's End.

Phillips and Rhys fell for each other when Tegan moved into an apartment, in Seaview, owned by Jamie's millionaire father John Phillips.

"Jamie was smitten with Tegan the moment she laid eyes on her," a friend says "She told me, 'Tegan is the most gorgeous girl I've ever seen, plus she's brainy and sensitive. I think I'm in love!'

Tegan, who is only sixteen, left home a couple of months ago to get away from her abusive father, wasn't looking for love when she arrived in Seaview but it didn't take her long to find it.

"Tegan needs a lot of attention and Jamie is willing to give it to her. She may finally have found her perfect match." Says the friend.

Phillips, who is a 20 year old assistant manager of the Triclub in Seaview, assigned herself to show Tegan around when she arrived - and sources say a perfect match.

"It's been really neat to see," says a source close to the couple "It started off as a friendship, but it's developed into a full blown love affair."

Sources from around Seaview say, "Tegan and Jamie have been spotted around the town and at a football match holding hands and being very affectionate towards each other."

Could this be the 'Match Made In Heaven' and what does narrow-minded Mayor Rhys think of this developing story? Nobody knows, when asked to comment on the whole thing, he just ignored the reporters. As Usual.

"Where do people get these stories?" Tegan asked finishing the article. "Do you think any of our friends would be talking to the papers?"

Jamie thought about that and decided that she couldn't think of anyone that would talk to the papers. "No I don't think they would be." She took the paper of Tegan and then walked around and got into the car. Tegan followed. "You'll never guess who called the club this morning." Jamie started the car and pulled away from the school.

"Who?" Tegan asked, as they started on the journey home.

"Andrea O'Neil." Jamie watched Tegan's face for a reaction to that piece of news. She smiled when it was a widening of the beautiful green eyes.

"Andrea O'Neil, the talk show host?" Tegan couldn't believe it. The Andrea O'Neil Show was the most watched talk show in the UK. It was being shown everywhere now, but it wasn't so popular in the states and places like that because of the difference in viewing laws. In the UK everyone had to be seated at all times, no swearing or violence were tolerated on the show and the shows were really square. There was hardly any emotion on them at all, sometimes it seemed like bad actors reading from a script. O'Neil had started to change some of that by approaching touchy and controversial subjects. One of the most recent shows, that Tegan could remember seeing, was about Abused Children coming face to face with the people that had abused them. The children saw it as a way to close that part of their lives and it been one of the most watched.

"The one and only." Jamie nodded her head, wondering what Tegan was thinking about.

"What did she want?" Tegan was surprised that someone as big as Andrea O'Neil had contacted Jamie.

"She wants us the appear on the show and talk about us." Jamie admitted, wondering if Tegan would go for it or not. When Andrea had asked Jamie wanted to say yes, because she saw it as a way to let everyone know what was going on, without having lies spread around. The press, while they knew some of the truth, made up the rest, just to get readers. If you were on tv actually telling people your story, than it couldn't really be changed, because it would be in front of a live audience.

"I think that's a good idea." Tegan surprised Jamie out of her thinking. "It'll give us a chance to tell our side of the story."

"Are you sure that is what you want?" Jamie needed to know so she could start making arrangements and she wanted Tegan to be 100% certain that this was what she wanted.

"Yes I am." Tegan admitted, as the pulled up outside the night-club. 'Letting the world know I'm in love with Jamie won't hurt either,' she thought with a mental grin.

Both of them walked into the club quietly before going their separate ways. Tegan went to her apartment and Jamie went to her office, where she phoned the tv station back and agreed to appear on the Andrea O'Neil Show.


Chapter 31

The next couple of days flew past for Jamie and Tegan. The abuse they suffered only got worse and more frequent, but they never let it get to them. They were due to appear in the Andrea O'Neil show two weeks after the first newspaper article was published. Tegan received the letter from her sister on the Wednesday after the article and was very upset about it. At one point she wanted to go home, just to tell her father off, but Jamie refused to let her go.

So much was happening to them, some of it was good and some of it wasn't and it was at this time Tegan and Jamie were starting to wonder if it was all worth it.

The day of the television interview came quickly and they were both nervous and excited as Jamie pulled up outside the tv studio. It was going to be a long day, they both knew that, but they were both ready for it.

As Jamie stopped the car she looked at Tegan again. She was worried about her. Tegan had been quiet all morning and Jamie started to notice that she was getting pale as well. "Are you ok T.?" She asked, releasing herself from the seat belt and turning to face her partner.

"I'm fine?" Tegan lied, she had been feeling rotten all day but she refused to tell Jamie that.

Jamie looked at her with glimpse of hurt in her eyes, before it was quickly covered. She knew Tegan was lying but she didn't want to force her into telling. They both got out of the car quietly and made their way into the studio, where they were met by the producer and Andrea O'Neil herself. Andrea was a pretty young woman. She was about 23 years old and had sandy brown hair, blue eyes and glasses that made her look more mature. She was dressed in a pair of jeans and a T-shirt, not all like you would expect a tv show host to dress.

They spent the next hour going over everything that was going to happen on the show and then they went to make up. Three hours later they were ready for the show to start and Tegan and Jamie were waiting in the green room for their names to be called.

Jamie had been keeping her eye on Tegan since they arrived and despite the younger woman's assurances that she was ok, Jamie didn't believe her. Tegan looked pale and she was quiet. She was never quiet.

They stood quietly in the green room, neither wanting to talk for fear of upsetting the other. Jamie wanted to ask Tegan again if she was ok, but she stopped herself. Tegan wanted to tell Jamie that she felt rotten but she didn't want to appear to be a baby. She could handle being sick. Couldn't she?

When Jamie's name was called they both looked at each other, smiled and then Jamie walked out. She waited patiently behind the screens as Andrea O'Neil introduce the show.

"Well Ladies and Gentlemen, we are here this week to discuss a subject that has been very publicised over the last couple of weeks, the relationship between Tegan Rhys, daughter of River's End Mayor Thomas Rhys and Jamie Phillips, the daughter of millionaire John Phillips. While most people have been accepting of the relationship between the two, there are still people out there that believe this relationship is unnatural. We are going to talk to Tegan and Jamie today and see how they feel about all the mixed feelings." Andrea announced, as the theme music started "Hello everyone." She announced again, as the theme music stopped. "To start the show I would like to introduce to you, Jamie Phillips."

Jamie walked out to a cheering audience, she smiled at them before sitting down. While the audience was mostly made up of people around about her own age, there were a lot of older people there. Andrea had said this was because you were more likely to get a negative response from the old generation, than today's generation due to the lack of information and knowledge of homosexuality in the older days. Andrea had told them that the show didn't get where it was today by being one sided and the difference of opinion would be good for ratings.

"Jamie, thank you for coming today." Andrea said, before walking back down the steps towards the dark haired woman.

"You're welcome." Jamie smiled at the woman, not really comfortable being out there in front of all those people.

"There has been a lot of speculation about the relationship between you and Miss Rhys over the last couple of days. Could you please enlighten us on what is actually going on between the two of you?" Andrea asked, already knowing the answer, this is what the had spent an hour going over.

"There isn't any speculation that I know of, only the truth." Jamie admitted, honestly. There was nothing else she could say. She wasn't going to lie.

"So you two are a new couple then?" Andrea asked.

Jamie shook her head "No we've been a couple for about four months" Jamie raised an eyebrow at the daring anyone to call her a liar. No one did.

"Why did you keep it quiet for so long?" Andrea looked around the audience and saw people nodded their heads in agreement with the question.

"Tegan wanted to keep it quiet because we knew what abuse we would get if everyone found out." Jamie told them, then she thought about that for it bit. "It wasn't exactly kept quiet anyway, all our friends in Seaview knew. All the customers in The Triclub knew about us as well."

"Tegan is only sixteen don't you feel like you're robbing the cradle a bit?" Andrea asked, knowing these were uncomfortable questions for Jamie to answer and these were the questions requested by the audience.

"No. Tegan is old enough to make up her own mind about what she wants. I am 20 years old, that is four years older than her. I seriously doubt that anyone would see that as robbing the cradle." Jamie answered.

"At sixteen years old, why did Tegan leave home to start a new life away from her family?" Andrea asked.

Jamie was surprised, that hadn't been one of the questions they had been given. "That's a question you should be asking Tegan, not me." Jamie told her.

"Ok." Andrea said, "We're going to go to a commercial and when we come back, we'll bring out Tegan, be back soon."

* * * * *

When they came back after the commercial break, Jamie was sitting quietly, waiting for Tegan to come out.

"Hello everyone." Andrea looked into the camera to welcome back the viewers. "Today we are talking to Jamie Phillips and Tegan Rhys about their very publicize romance. Early we spoke with Jamie and now we are going to bring out Tegan Rhys."

Tegan walked out to the same response as Jamie, she smiled at the audience before sitting down next to the lover. She wasted no time in patting Jamie on the knee. She would have preferred holding Jamie's hand but she wasn't sure how Jamie would react to that.

It wasn't long before Andrea started questioning Tegan about her relationship with Jamie. When she asked Tegan why she moved away from her family, Tegan wasn't sure what to say. She wanted so bad to tell them the truth but she couldn't do that. So she just said she wanted to finish her schooling in Seaview because it had the best secondary school in Wales. It wasn't the answer Andrea was hoping for but she bought it anyway. The next question to surprise both Jamie and Tegan was for Tegan.

"How does your father feel about this, Tegan?" Andrea asked, it was no secret that there was no love loss between Andrea and Mayor Rhys, they had had their share of run-ins in the past.

Tegan answered that as honestly as she could "I don't know, you'll have to ask him that" Then came the blockbuster.

"I think that's a good idea" Andrea agreed "Let's welcome out Tegan's parents and her sister Jenny"

Jenny gasped and not caring that they were on national tv anymore, grabbed hold of Jamie's hand and Jamie thought she was going to break it. Jamie gave Tegan what she hoped was a reassuring squeeze and felt Tegan relax.

Mayor Rhys, Brenda and Jenny came out then and Mayor Rhys was not amused when Jenny came across and hugged Tegan.

"I miss you." Jenny whispered into her sister's ear, as she squeezed her, she made it even worse by turning to Jamie and hugging her as well "Thank you for looking after my sister." Then she sat next to Tegan, between her sister and her parents.

As soon as the family walked in, the atmosphere become so tense you could cut it with a knife. It wasn't good. Andrea recognised the tension for what it was and regretted asking the Mayor to come onto the show.

After everyone had settled down a bit Andrea started to question Thomas and Brenda about their feelings over the whole Jamie and Tegan relationship. Brenda told them that she wasn't thrilled about it. Thomas just told the audience that he was totally disgusted. He said that no-one in the right mind would have an unnatural relationship like that.

Jamie thought that considering he was up for re-election he wasn't doing a very good job of winning votes. Especially when he called Tegan a slut. Jamie was absolutely fuming. She had wanted to punish Rhys since she met Tegan and she was so close to doing that now.

At the end of all of the show was over and everyone was breathing a sigh of relief, Tegan and Jamie started to make their way out of the studio when Tegan's father started mouthing off. Jamie couldn't take it anymore, so she just turned around and walked over to him, grabbed him by the throat and lifted him off the floor. "You come anywhere near Tegan or that baby again and I swear I will rip your arms off. Do you understand me?" She threatened him and all the studio audience were witnessing this.

"You can do this to me I am her father" He reminded her, as he struggled from his breath.

Jamie shook her head "You gave up being her father when you sent her away when she needed her family. What kind of parents are you?" She looked from Thomas to Brenda, before dropping Thomas to the floor. "How could you send your own flesh and blood away like a common prostitute when she needed someone she could turn too?"

"You live by the sword and you die by the sword" Thomas had his hand wrapped around his very sore throat. He refused to let Tegan and Jamie get the better of him.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Tegan asked, fed up with everyone fighting her battles for her.

"I was told about how you used to throw yourself at every boy that would have you back home. You were asking for trouble and you got it." Thomas snapped.

"Haven't you even been listening to anything they have discussed on this show. In case you haven't it was about two lesbians who are in love with each other. Why would I want a boy if I was gay?" Tegan asked, wondering why her father was telling all these lies about her.

"How should I know?" Thomas asked, as he turned to walk away from the set.

It was then that everything started to go fuzzy for Tegan. She grabbed hold of Jamie as a sharp pain tore through her. "Jamie" She cried as she started to fall to the floor.

Jamie was by her side immediately "Ok T. what's wrong?" She asked as she knelt down next to the now lying down woman.

"My stomach hurts" She cried, panic over taking any other emotion she had been feeling. The only thing that concerned her now was baby inside her, that she in deep trouble at the moment.

She had been warned about the possibility of a miscarriage because of her age and the fact that her body might not be able to carry to term. Jamie was there when this was explained to her, so she was just as worried about Tegan.

"Someone get an ambulance" Jamie shouted, as they all gathered around her. Jenny feel to her knees next to her sister and took her hand. Tegan squeezed tightly as another pain tore straight through her. It was so bad she almost lost consciousness.

"It hurts" she mumbled again.

Jamie leaned down and kissed her gently on the forehead. "I know sweetheart" she whispered into her lovers ear "I know"

"Jenny come on we're going home" Thomas shouted from behind them and when Jenny ignored him he walked over and grabbed her by the arm. "We are going home now get a move on"

"Leave me alone" Jenny shouted, she was more concerned about her sister than herself at the moment.

"Jennifer Sarah Rhys you shift your ass now, or you will find yourself the same way as that little slut of a sister" Thomas threatened her.

"Fine I'll be home to collect my things in a couple of days time" She told him before turning her back to him and going back to her sister.

About five minutes later the ambulance arrived and Tegan was rushed to the hospital.


Chapter 32

At the hospital, Jamie paced back and fro waiting for word on Tegan. The bright lights were making Jamie's head hurt, which was causing her worried mood to turn bad. She wanted to know what was happening with Tegan and she was furious because they wouldn't let her in with Tegan, because she wasn't family, so Jenny had gone in with her.

It wasn't long before she was joined by Darren, Rhiannon, Sarah, Scott, Sophie, John, Anne and Robin. They were all worried that Tegan was going to lose the baby and they knew how devastating that would be for both Tegan and Jamie.

The family were furious that Jamie hadn't been allowed with Tegan aswell but they knew they same sex relationships were not seen as relationships in the hospital. Jamie was not legally seen as Tegan's partner in the hospital, therefore she wasn't allowed into the casualty ward with Tegan.

Not long after the family arrived, Jenny came out of the room to be met with a thousand questions. She only addressed one. "Tegan is ok, but she wants you in there with here, Jamie." She saw the frown that appeared on Jamie's face and smiled "She's told the doctors who your are and that under no circumstances are you to be refused entry."

Jamie breathed out in relief before heading into the room.

* * * * *

Tegan was panicking when she finally arrived at the hospital. She wanted Jamie with her, she wanted her partner to tell her it was going to be ok. When the hospital had asked Jenny to come in instead, Tegan was furious. She needed the only person that could give her the sense of security that she needed now. 'How could they not let her in?' She asked herself, as another pain tore through her body and she felt as if it was straight through her soul.

After Tegan screamed at the doctors enough, they finally gave into her request to let Jamie in there, with them. So Jenny went out to get her.

Tegan waited for a couple of seconds, that was all it took, for Jamie to come into the room. The tall woman practically ran over to her lover and Tegan eagerly took the offered hand. Tegan immediately felt calm and instinctively knew that she was going to be ok. Everything was going to be ok.

As the doctors walked around her, sorting out all the treatment they might need to use, should the drugs used not help the situation. The drugs were starting to take effect and Tegan could feel the horrible cramps start fading, which was a major relief for her. She could see the relief in Jamie's face, when she told her.

The doctors were pleased that Tegan looked like she was out of trouble but told her that she had to have a Sonogram, just to make sure that the baby was still ok. Jamie stayed with Tegan, while this was done. Both praying for the best and fearing the worst. The doctor just looked at them with a smile and they knew that everything was fine.

"What caused this Doctor?" Jamie asked, as the doctor stood over Tegan, with her clipboard in hand.

"Have you been under any stress or anything over the last couple of weeks?" The doctor asked, looking back between Tegan and Jamie, seeing which one would answer.

"We've been under a lot of pressure from the press about our relationship." Jamie admitted, when it looked like Tegan wasn't going to answer. "And she's been under pressure to do well in her GCSE's. But we were told stress didn't cause miscarriages."

"You're right" The doctor admitted. "Stress alone doesn't cause miscarriages or threatened miscarriages like this. However usually it cane cause other problems that can cause them." She turned to Tegan "Have you been eating probably?"

Tegan thought about that, and then sadly shook her head. When she was with Jamie she had eaten fine. Jamie made sure of that, but when she was on her own she had been too wrapped up in her problems to think about food.

"Food is very important to you at this stage of your pregnancy, Tegan." The doctor reminded her. "You need all the nutrition and energy you can get. You need the food to help the baby grow. You cannot expect to go through a pregnancy, starving yourself and still coming out of it fine."

"I know" Tegan answered. Then she made the mistake of looking into the blue eyes of her partner, there was something there that Tegan couldn't place but she knew Jamie wasn't pleased with this last announcement.

"You are going to have to come in once a week from now until the end of your term so we can keep an eye on you, Tegan" The doctor said "I will make an appointment for you to come in one day next week. But I am going to keep you in over night, just to keep an eye on you"

Tegan just nodded her head and then watched as the doctor left, she waited patiently for the eruption she knew was coming.

"What the hell did you think you were doing, Tegan?" Jamie snapped, after the doctor had left.

Tegan didn't say anything, she just let Jamie have her say. When Jamie asked her again Tegan answered. "I was occupied with other problems at the time and I just forgot to eat" it wasn't a lie because she hadn't been hungry but that wasn't a good enough answer and she knew it.

"You forgot" Jamie growled. "How could you forget?"

"Jamie please don't shout at me" Tegan pleaded but Jamie was on a role.

Jamie regretted her next words as soon as they were out of her mouth "If you can't look after yourself when your under pressure, maybe you shouldn't even consider keeping that baby." The look that crept over Tegan's face at her words, broke Jamie's heart 'God you are so stupid sometimes Jamie. She almost lost her baby and your treating her like a kid' she immediately made her way over to Tegan. "Oh Tegan I'm sorry" she wanted to wrap her arms around her partner but knew that wouldn't be welcomed right now.

"Leave me alone, Jamie" Tegan finally told her sharply, and saw the dejected slump of Jamie's shoulders.

"Please T. don't do this" Jamie pleaded.

"Get out" Tegan snapped, she watched as Jamie nodded her head and left. As soon as Jamie was out of the door, Tegan let the tears come. Tears for the near loss of her baby and tears because of her broken heart at Jamie's words and her own words back.

* * * * *

Jamie felt a right cow when she opened the door and moved towards the elevator. She hated herself for hurting Tegan and she refused to walk away like this. So, even though she knew it would annoy Tegan, she walked back to the room. Tegan was facing the window and when Jamie opened the door, she could hear she was crying.

"Tegan?" She almost whispered not to scare the younger woman.

"I thought I told you to go away." Tegan said from her bed.

"You did." Jamie admitted, then headed towards the bed anyway. "But I refuse to leave you like this Tegan." She made her way around to the other side of the bed so she could she her lovers face. "I am sorry for what I said T., I really am. You've got to believe me. Please?" Jamie knew she was begging and she did care she just wanted to take Tegan into her arms and forget that this thing had happened, she wanted to make the whole year not have happened. The only good to come out of it was their meeting and Tegan's pregnancy.

Tegan listened to Jamie plea and she knew she was telling the truth. So she just held her arms out to the older woman and then waited as Jamie practically jumped into her arms. She held her so tight that Tegan thought it might stop her from breathing, but that didn't bother her. She was where she belonged and that was all that mattered. They held each other for a couple of minutes before Jamie finally let go and moved away so she could see Tegan's face. "I'm sorry I shouted at you, Tegan." She told her again. "I just worry about you."

"I know." Tegan smiled and she suddenly felt tired. "I know you didn't mean it. It was so out of character for you."

Jamie saw that she was getting tired and made a point of letting Tegan lie back down. "Go to sleep T." she told her.

"Will you be be here when I wake up?" Tegan asked quietly.

"Always." Jamie assured her and the leaned forward and placed a kiss on Tegan's lips. Before sitting back in the comfy chair and watching Tegan fall into a healing sleep. "I love you Tegan."

"Love you too" was the sleepy mumble.

* * * * *

The following morning Tegan was awake quite early for her and she looked around at the sterile the hospital room and sighed. 'Why is everything happening to me this year?' She thought. She was beginning to think she was being punished for something, but she didn't know what.

In the last year, she had been raped, treated like a whore by her father, found out she was pregnant, fell in love, not that there was anything wrong with those two.  She had almost lost Jamie to a knife wound and she had almost had a miscarriage, because she was too stupid to think about herself and the baby when she was stressed. 'Maybe Jamie was right.' She thought sadly. 'Maybe I am not responsible to keep this baby,' and that hurt. She wanted this baby so much now and to even think about giving it up now almost tore her apart. She couldn't do it.

She looked at her lover and was surprised to see she was still sleeping in the chair next to her bed. She looked so peaceful in her sleep and she looked absolutely stunning. All she was wearing was a pair of blue jeans and a black T-shirt, but she still looked amazing. 'She would look amazing in a sack.' Tegan thought with a smile. 'She could have anyone she wanted and she chose me.' Tegan smiled at that thought. Everyone knew Jamie was one of the most popular women anywhere and to think she had chosen her, was wonderful.

As if sensing eyes on her, even in sleep, Jamie woke up and found a pair of green eyes adoring her. She smiled slightly. "Morning." She said, moving over to kiss Tegan gently.

"Morning." Tegan smiled back, when they broke away. "I wish I could go home today." Tegan knew she was going to be bored out of her skull by the time they let her go home, but she knew that staying in the hospital was the best thing for both her and the baby.

"Well tell you what. How about I go home and get some stories off the internet. I can print them out and then bring them here and it'll give you something to read?" Jamie suggested. Tegan had become almost addicted to some of the stories on the Internet. The writers on there were very into the characters they portrayed and that made for interesting stories.

"Yeah, see if Missy has updated her stories yet." Tegan said. Tegan had fallen in love with Missy Good's writing as soon as she had read her first story and she was now totally hooked. Sometimes she felt like pulling her hair out when there wasn't an update, but she understood as much as anyone how hectic lives could be.

"Have you ever thought about writing a story for the internet T." Jamie asked, already knowing that Tegan had thought about it once or twice, but didn't have the confidence to do anything about it.

"Once or twice." Tegan admitted. She had already written some stuff that she was still wondering about. She wanted to post them but she didn't want to because she didn't think they were good enough.

"Well tell you what. I have a laptop in the house, how about I bring that with me as well and you can try." Jamie suggested, hoping it would give Tegan something to do.

"Ok." Tegan agreed.

"Well ok then. I'll get going so I can come back here before I go to work and then you can get started." Jamie said before standing up and stretching. "Wow, my back is killing me this morning," she groaned as she felt her spine click back into position.

"Sorry." Tegan said, realizing it was because Jamie had been sleeping in that chair.

"It's ok. Wouldn't have missed being here with you for the world." Jamie told her, before leaning in to kiss her again. "I'll see you later."

"Bye" Tegan waved as she left, and then put her head back down. It was going to be a long couple of days.

* * * * *

The next couple of days went pretty quick. The hospital ran a number of checks on Tegan to make sure both her and the baby were ok and all were relieved to find everything was fine. Tegan had refused when the doctors asked her if she wanted to know the sex of the baby. She wanted it to be a surprise.

The night before Tegan was allowed to go home, Tegan and Jamie were sitting in the comfortable chair relaxing the way the usually did. Jamie was sat behind with Tegan leaning back against her. It was a really comfortable position for both of them. They hadn't been sitting there long when they were both surprised by the sudden movement the baby made. It was the first time the baby had kicked and to it's mother and her lover, it felt wonderful.

"That was some kick there kid." Jamie said, as she placed her hands back on top of Tegan's, resting on the bulging stomach.

"Jamie, can I ask you a question?" Tegan asked, as they settled back down.

"Umm.. well I'll have to think about that.... sure." She teased, Tegan knew she could ask her anything.

"I was reading a poem the other day. It was stored on your laptop, what is it about?" Tegan looked at her lover, wondering if she knew the poem she was talking about. She could tell by the bewildered look on her partner's face that she didn't. So she recited it to her. By the second line Jamie had silenced Tegan and was singing the song to her.

* *

I look in the window,
I see her there.
Her eyes are shining,
with unshed tears.
Her eyes are sad,
Her heart is lonely,
Living her life alone.

* * * *

There is desperation
and there's pain.
There is confusion,
at what's she lost.
Everyone has gone,
Everyone has left her alone,
She's living life alone.

* * * * *

Her friends have left her,
She's on her own.
She looks around her,
There's no-one there.
Everyone has gone,
Everyone has left her alone.
She's living life alone.

* * * * *

They had different views.
They had their choice.
They could accept her,
or walk away.
They chose to go,
They chose to run away
from something they know nothing about.

* * * * *

Everything was fine,
Everything was all right,
Until the test proved positive.
(Now) Her life is over,
(And) Her dreams have gone,
(And) She's living life alone.

* * * * *

Her eyes are sad,
Her heart is heavy,
She's living her final days.

* * * * *

I look at the Sky,
I see her there.
The stars are shining,
Her last goodbye.

* *

Tegan sat there in total awe. She knew Jamie could sing but the way she sung that song made her want to cry. "What's it about?" She finally composed herself enough to ask.

"A friend of mine, died from AIDS a couple of years ago and I wrote that for her. It was one of the best songs I've ever written." Jamie admitted. She always wrote her best work when she was in a depressed mood. She had been grieving when that song was written and it was still her best. "I had forgotten all about that song."

"It's amazing. I was reading it and it saddened me, but to  hear you singing it touches me more than I though possible." Tegan smiled at her partner, before turning back around and leaning against her. "I love you Jamie." Tegan sighed, as she felt sleep catching up to her.

"I love you too." Jamie told her, as she heard Tegan's breathing even out in sleep. Jamie only just managed to get out of the chair and carry Tegan over to the bed, where she lay her down gently and watched her sleep, before sleep claimed her.

Continued in Part VIII


Return to Main Page