Disclaimer: See Part 1

Part 11 of The Birdie Series

Birdie's Song

XI

Six Moons

Part VI

I am Robin of the Warrior and the Bard...

 

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

“Little Mistress, Little Mistress,” a very cold nose was shoved into my neck.

“Yikes, Zowie, Zephyr!! You want to get chakramed?”

“You told me to wake you.”

Sigh. “So I did, thank you my friend. How many times it that tonight?”

“Four, Little Bird. I think you should re-think your watch assignments.”

“Perhaps, I am certainly no good if I can't stay awake.”

“Atticus is already up here for his watch. He must be as anxious as you are. Go and talk to him.”

“Ok,” I rattled as I rose, sword, shield, and chakram.

The big red headed/bearded fellow was indeed pacing back and forth in full armor.

He jumped when I spoke.

“I see you are as relaxed as I am, old friend.”

He recovered with a couple of hrumfps, and then admitted, “This whole set up has me jumpy Birdie, and danged if I know why.”

“Baba Xe always says if you feel jumpy, there is probably a good reason, even if you don't know it yet. I have known her to be right about that.”

“Oh little girlie, remember I have served with the Conqueror fer …. Eons. Can't even put a number to it. She is ALWAYS right about that.”

“Ahem.”

By the gods if both of us didn't jump four or five hands straight up. We turned to witness three sets of arms akimbo, and three right feet tapping. Mama G, Aurora, and Rosie.

Mama G looked at the other two, “Well, I certainly feel safer, don't you, girls?”

If one is jumpy, there is a reason.

“Mama,” a weak protest.

“Don't ‘Mama' me, Robin of Amphipolis. You and Atticus are relieved of duty for at least six candle marks. There is chamomile tea in each of your rooms. Drink it and sleep.”

“But,” now Atticus tried.

“No, but's BUB,” I had never seen this side of Rosie. She was a firm and loving mother to Talus, but evidently, she knew her way around being a wife as well.

But it was Aurora who made the big mistake.

“Gabrielle,” she took my mother's hand, “Rosie and I can do this…”

Those flashing emeralds sent blazes and Aurora stepped back. She had incurred the wrath of a Queen.

“If one more person says, ‘You're pregnant' to me as if I am totally unaware of the fact, that person shall receive a sound smack.”

And that is the way the Conqueror had been conquered. Baba Xe had many skills, but Mama G had just as many, of a different nature perhaps, but serious skills.

We all stood quietly, heads bowed.

“Thank you,” my mother sighed. “Rosie, go east; Aurora go west. There are horns at those locations you can blow at the sign of danger, and I will sound the gong. It wakes up the entire village, and our friends the “hairy gals” will be here in a heartbeat. We can hold them.”

“It will wakes us as well,” I commented.

“But the sound of the gong and ONLY that sound will bring you back to the wall, Birdie. Otherwise, you are ASLEEP. Zephyr, please back me up on that.”

“Yes, My Lady,” I said meekly and heard Zephyr repeat the same in my mind. “She is right, Little Mistress.”

“Go!” Atticus took a rap in the head from Rosie, and I received a good swat. I looked at my mother reproachfully.

“Say no more, Little Bird. Six candle marks.” She cocked her head to one side and the jade orbs softened. “C'mere, Little One.”

Her arms were silk wings wrapping me. “Did I hurt your feelings, Birdie?”

“A little bit.” No tears. I willed them back.

“I am sorry, Sweetie. That command just needed emphatic punctuation. My Birdie of not so long ago would have required it.”

I chuckled and leaned into her shoulder. “Probably not a bad idea, Mama G. But I am very serious about this assignment.”

A soft kiss brushed my hair, “I know that, kiddo and you have given exemplary service. But you cannot continue without sleep. Disasters occur when guards fall asleep. It happens.”

Couldn't argue with that. Another voice chanted in its melodious fashion.

“It's ok, Birrrrdeee,” it was Singer, “I watch too.”

“I can hardly wait to meet you little sister, “my mind returned, “We will have such fun and I already love you deeply.”

“I love you, Birrrrdeee.”

I looked at Zephyr, “We are off to bed, dear fox. Six candle marks. Grandba will wake me?”

“She will, “my mother assured, “And I know that silly gong will do it, gods forbid it might be sounded.”

I came to attention and presented my mother with a little bow, “In six candle marks then, My Lady. I leave Amphipolis in your good hands.”

“Good Girl, “She brushed my hair back from my eyes.

+++

“Zephyr,” I came to one elbow and was immediately joined by my faithful friend. “You shouldn't address me as ‘little mistress' anymore.”

“What? I don't understand.”

I don't mean it in a BAD sort of way, but I am not your mistress; you do not serve me.”

“Well in the beginning, I served you, at the command of our Lady Artemis.”

“But if ….” Hard to word, for the answer so held my heart, “If our Lady told you today that you could stop ‘serving' me, would you leave?”

Zephyr jumped up beside me, placing her head against my chest and wrapping her tail about us both.

“Little…...” her soft thoughts came into my mind, “Now I would not leave you if Artemis did command me to do so.” We both looked around nervously, hoping this would not enflame the ire of the goddess.

“So how about ‘Birdie',” I said.

“How about a compromise? I love it when your parents call you ‘Little Bird'. And you will always be my little bird.”

“I would like that very much, Zephyr, “we held eye contact for a good while, “I love you so very much.”

“And I love you, Little Bird,” she answered, “But now it is time for Little Birds and foxes to sleep. We do not want to be found awake.”

“Right with you there, my dearest friend, “I pulled her dark softness beside me in the bunk. “Sleep well, Zephyr.”

“Same wishes to you, Little Bird,” she paused, “I like the name.”

“Me, too….. “Just a whisper and Morpheus took us both.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

“Conqueror.”

Xena was so startled she nearly fell off Argo.

“By the gods, Jom, I had completely forgotten that you fellows were here ahead.”

The old chief, bowed his head politely, “You part blind when Rome is heard. Hope this truth cause no angry; say from seasons and seasons of knowing me, My Lady.”

The Conqueror dismounted and went to place hands on her friend, “Jom, that was exactly the lesson I needed, and I am grateful, my friend.”

They touched foreheads in the manner of the DOZ, “Even a conqueror needs guidance.”

When Chief Jom stood tall, he was close to two hands taller than the warrior princess. So it was easy for him to place a gentle kiss on the top of her hair.

“I have daughters,” he said, “but I count Xena of Amphipolis as a daughter.”

Cerulean eyes filled, “You have no idea what that means to me, Great Jom,” she whispered, “I never knew a father.”

Jom stepped back and offered the warrior's arm grip. It was accepted.

“Jom reports no Roman ships in water ways south of Potidaea,” his voice took the tone of a gruff Chief. DOZ send our trained birds, ospreys to look as does the hawk of Little Bird. Ships crossing from Mt of the Gods; could land north of here, but many men need much food. Potidaea has food.”

“Ah, as we hoped, “Xena flashed white teeth.

“Yes, My Lady.”

The Conqueror slapped a hand on the broad shoulder, “Take your boys to the food cart,” she ordered, “they must be well fed.”

“Food from Lady Cyrene's inn? I go first,” the old man's eyes lighted and then pulled back to chief behavior, “I am Chief.”

He turned and walked quite swiftly away, leaving the Conqueror a quiet laugh. Sometimes I wonder, it came to her, if my militia would not be so strong without my mother's cooking.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

“If all goes well, we should make Amphipolis by tomorrow evening, “Rachelle felt a surge of joy at the destinations proximity.

“Ay, I'm prayin' to the gods that all goes well, “grumbled her companion, “me bones is cravin' a real bed.”

“I will rub your poor bones tonight, “the queen knew she had spoken magic words.

“Yah, I can probably make it, “Vix chuckled. “Some folks can cook and others can do massage. You have a gift little friend.”

“And I have a dear friend, “Rach tossed back over her shoulder.

“You should see yerself, young queen, “ her companion remarked, “Yer fair glowin' with happiness.”

“Reckon it's love?”

“I would reckon such.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

“Admit it, you do feel better, Little Bird,” my hand fell to Zephyr's soft head.

“I do, no doubt, Zephyr. A tired guard is not much of a guard,” acknowledged to her only.

“Well, I do not suggest that you push your luck with your mother the queen again, for any reason, “ such a wise fox.

“Don't worry about that, my friend. I fear my mother's wrath more than Baba Xe's in some ways.”

“I know, Little Bird.”

“You know? How?” Good to have a topic to pass the time.

“Because I know you.”

“Elaborate.”

A quick sigh, “Your conflicts and disciplinary events with your Baba Xe nearly always involved simple disobedience, or out and out defiance.” My mind was ringing with the words. “Your unfortunate choices were reprimanded in the armory—perhaps rather painfully, but quickly, am I correct?”

“Yes,” damn fox knows everything.

“I heard that. Shall I continue?”

“Yes.”

“Events which put you at skirmish with your mother involve…… her disappointment with your behavior or decisions. While she may chasten you physically, such action never hurts you as much as your own heart hurts. Hence, ‘sensitive chats' enter. “

What could I say?

“You have remarkable parents, Little Bird. I marvel at them. They are so different yet they are perfect for each other and perfect to parent you, as you are a mix of warrior and bard.”

“Well, you should know, Zephyr,” was truly all I could say.

Her silky nose found its way into my hand covering it with tiny dry kisses, “ I should, “ her thoughts came, “ I know you better than anyone else, and over the seasons I have only come to love you more each day.”

That called for a sit down and put my arm around her.

“I doubt I would have survived without you, Zephyr,” Tears fell into her fur.

She looked straight on at me, “Little Bird, you would have survived. But I have had the honor and the pleasure of being at your side.”

I hugged her hard. “You honor me, dear fox. You honor me.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

The tall warrior surveyed her surroundings. She patted a golden neck.

“Well, Argo,” she altered a wayward strand of flaxen mane, “Time to suit up.”

Dismounting, she leaned her head against one of two new saddlebags. They had appeared on the journey and had added no extra weight at all.

“Athena, “she whispered, “I think you guide me, for Ares would never be so subtle. Please help me to be worth of your favor. I am deeply honored that you consider this a ‘fair conflict'. Just…. Just….Please,” a sapphire tear crept down the cheek, Argo acknowledged it with a soft whicker, “Please help me, and help me Gabrielle, sweet love of my life, and Queen of my heart, please help me to resist the monster I become when Caesar is involved.”

There was a fluttering whisper in her ear, “You have the will, Conqueror.”

“What?” she turned a fast circle, but no one was there. Shrug.

“For you, “ the saddlebag held a folded garment of silver. Shaken open, it was a large slotted cape.

“Here girl, lift,” the horse stepped into one slot and then the other. Long strings of the same fabric secured the cape to the saddle horn.

Drawing the Tide, Xena stepped back, “I hate to test this stuff, but I must. You are vitally important to me, Argo and I love you.”

Swinging the sword in a careful arc the reward was a loud CLANG at the cape. Argo snorted, and the warrior smiled. She looked up, “Thank you Athena for understanding my love for my horse.”

Now the palomino whinnied, and tossed her nose at a second bag.

“I know, girl, I know,” from the second bag, the Conqueror withdrew a shield which appeared to be made of brushed silver. She ran her left arm through the handles, and immediately it morphed into a war weapon configured perfectly to her height, weight, and strength. She felt a vibration as the marks of her chakram were invisibly etched around the edges.

“Perfect,” she whispered, “I thank you, my goddess.”

The voice whispered again, “It has an incredibly sharp edge; mind you do not injure yourself.”

“Do you mean?” suddenly the princess warrior flipped the shield sideways and hurled it like the chakram. It cleanly severed an innocent set of grapevines, ricocheting just as the smaller chakram would. Argo's eyes were wide, but the shield flew to fit again cleanly to the hardwood arm.

“Wow, “Xena sounded like Birdie, “This thing can cause some serious injury.”

The whisper returned, “Which is why it is only on lend, Warrior, for this battle. It is a leap of faith actually, but it honors the transformation we on Olympus have seen in you.”

The great warrior bowed her head again. “I am honored and so will do nothing to bring dishonor on these beautiful weapons and protection. Thank you.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

“Are ye trying ta kill me, lass,” Vix's sturdy mount was breathing heavily and more from the speed demanded than the weight she carried. “My Clementine is gonna drop under me.”

Rach reigned in her little palomino, “Whoa, Sandy. Rest up, now girl. Rain!”

The silver fox heard and came trotting back.

Rach turned in the saddle, “There's a nice creek up ahead, Vix. We'll stop for a rest.”

“Thank the gods,” the old warrior muttered. Clementine snorted. “I heard that,” she patted her good friend's neck and carefully replaced a hank of mane which had fallen to the wrong side. “I remember how it was with Phyn. I miss her so much sometimes… but…” the tired dark eyes moved forward to see Rach and her animal friends, “I miss her, but I like what I'm doin', doncha, Clem?”

The mare answered with faster clopping towards the water.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

The Spartan phalanx was working perfectly. A few of the militia had taken flesh wounds, but there had been no casualties. The Conqueror strode forward and stepped upon the flat shields of her soldiers. From that height she flung the chakram/shield so far and fast, it lopped off the sails of retreating Roman ships. As the fearsome weapon flew back to its user, it skimmed the heads of a hundred Romans who turned and ran. When Xena caught the shield she roared, “Go get em' boys!!!”

The militia was only too glad to obey. Whooping and yelling, they chased the lag behind Romans into the sea, and laughed as the poor fellows swam towards ships which had no masts.

“XENA! XENA XENA!!!!” The chanting ascended and then stopped as all felt the shadow fall across the mood of the Conqueror.

“Did anyone see any officers?” she spoke quietly.

All were silent.

“I didn't either and I was too caught up in the fight to realize it. Boys, we need to fly to Amphipolis NOW!!”

They ran, boarding horses and carts, stopping only for a swallow of water. The Conqueror was already nearly out of sight.

“Sweet Athena and Artemis, give us wings,” the warrior whispered, and indeed, Argo ran faster than she ever had before…

“Good girl, “Xena gave the horse her head, “Run faithful horse, but do not die on me.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

“Little Bird,” Zephyr's voice pierced my thoughts.

I turned to look her way and caught my breath.

Torches, at least a score of them. I ran to the gong. It reverberated through the entire village and would signal the Romans as well, but that didn't matter.

Aurora felt a gentle hand in the small of her back. She glanced at her blonde friend.

“It's Rufus, I know his standard, “she whispered.

“By the gods; they tricked us, “Gabrielle whispered back. “Who would have guessed?”

“I'll get my staff and meet you on the wall,” Aurora moving quickly, “Gaius, honey wake up.”

She gathered the sleepy child into her arms.

“Take him to Cyrene as planned, “Gabrielle said, “I will take your staff.”

The dark eyes flashed gratitude.

@@@@@@@@@@@@

“How many?” my mother's voice was at my back.

“Too many,” I sighed, “They had a plan we did not consider.”

“That means NOTHING, “My mother spun me to face her. “We will face them and we will prevail.”

“Mama G, you shouldn't even… “

“Hush,” my head was pulled to my mother's chest, “I can take care of myself, don't worry about me.” She spun the bladed staff slicing the air like a sword.

“Ok,” I agreed, stepping to one of the wall buckets to take a dipper of water. I checked my chakram at its clip on my belt and drew the Baby Tide. “I'm going to hold you to that, Mama G.”

Aurora joined us. “I am so glad that Cyrene has Gaius; he loves her so much.”

“She will keep him safe,” my eyes hadn't left the torches, “My Grandba still knows her way around a sword, should it come to that. But it won't come to that.”

“No Little Bird, “my fox intoned, “it will not come to that.”

And thus we stood, a small band of warriors, ready to defend our home and our lives.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

In the darkness far away, the Conqueror became one with her horse racing the darkness.

To Be Continued...

onesockbard@aol.com

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page