Among the Stars

by Psyche_B

Go to Prologue


This story has been tumbling around in my head for almost a year.  With not a whole lot to keep my mind occupied during the day except for day time television.  Some of which has been shown to decrease I.Q by five points every time you watch.  I do not own the characters although I certainly wish I did.  Set in the future the story revolves around the personal and professional lives of the officers of the Star Traveler Andromeda as it travels past the known planets. 

CHAPTER 14A

Dawn and the day began for the residents of the star traveler Andromeda. Others were at the end of their day and were heading for a meal and rest.

Kate sat at her desk in their quarters. Cup of coffee near her hand as she typed while she waited for her wife and children to wake up. She had been up for over an hour and wrote in the personal journal.

Personal Journal of Kate Jensen Captain of the Andromeda for the time being.

Today may very well be my last day as Captain of the Andromeda. The trial video and transcripts have been sent to the Joint Chiefs. The results of that trial may come back to haunt me. I know Liam will step up in the event I am demoted. Or they could even scrub the mission. At that point I will probably return to running courier missions, if they even allow me to remain in the service.

Anya, the love of my life understands. As she stated after a very enjoyable night once the girls were asleep, she would love me no matter if I am a captain or street vendor. I do not know what I ever did to deserve someone like her and our children in my life. What ever it was, it must have been very good. The girls, would they understand that their mother is no longer Captain. Would they understand that the greater good was served no matter what the personal consequences are?

"Kate?" Anya's voice came from the bedroom door. "How long have you been up?"

"What time is it?"

"Just a little before six hundred hours."

"Then about ninety minutes give or take a few."

"Why didn't you wake me?" Anya asked.

"There is no reason for both of us to be dragging today."

"How about we get showered. I will wash your back."

"I would be a fool to turn down an offer like that and darling, I try never to be a fool." Kate closed her computer and walked to the door. Hand in hand they walked to the bathroom.

===========================================================

Kate sat behind her desk in the ready room as she waited for Liam and Kacey to arrive. She had coffee ready for them. She leaned back and thought about her morning so far. She smiled in remembrance of the shower she took with Anya before reporting for duty. Anya and her extremely skilled hands. Kate felt the blush creep up her neck when the door chimed.

"Damn" she thought. "Come in" She said out loud and hoped she could control the blush she still felt on her face.

Kacey entered and went straight to the coffee. "Are you feeling all right Kate?"

"Sure, Why?"

"From the redness on your face you either have a high fever or one hell of a blush going?"

"Have you read the material I sent you?" Kate changed the subject.

"Some, but not all of it."

"Well, when you finish reading and put into practice what you have read you will understand."

"I get it, Anya is behind that blush." Kacey teased her sister.

"So what is the hold up? Why haven't you tried anything yet?" Kate asked as she tried to turn the teasing back on Kacey.

"I am working on it Kate. Now that the trial is over, we will have more time."

"Do not wait too long, the anxiety will only get worse."

"What if I am no good?"

"That is why you get lots of practice. Lots and lots of practice. Kacey you did not just pick up the violin one day and master it the next. It took years and years of practice. In the beginning everyone has performance anxiety."

"Even you?"

"Hell yes little sister." I had a lot of lovers over the years, but when I met and fell in love with Anya, it put a whole different spin on the act of love. Instead of just using my body for gratification, my heart became involved. Once the heart becomes involved it is no longer just having sex but making love. And it is so much sweeter. Take my word on this."

The door chime stopped their conversation. "Come" Kate said. Liam entered and like Kacey headed for the coffee. He pulled a chair behind the desk. Kacey did the same as they waited for their video meeting with the Joint Chiefs.

Precisely at eight hundred hours, the computer beeped and lit up to the Space Agency logo. The logo was replaced with Admiral Tacker and General Millhouse.

"Good morning" The Admiral stated.

"Good morning sir" They all answered.

"We have reviewed the video and transcripts you sent." The Admiral stated. "Bad business, Captain, very bad business."

"Yes sir it is." Kate answered.

"An investigation has been started. There is a lot of very nasty stuff surfacing. Bribes, blackmail, threats and cover ups and other crimes have come out. How that man has been able to escape prosecution for his many crimes has been explained. Needless to say General Eden has been relieved of duty, arrested and is awaiting trial for his part in this debacle."

"Thank you sir." Kate said.

"Colonel" General Millhouse said. "I owe you an apology. I told you not to ask questions. If memory serves me right, I threatened you with a demotion if you continued to fight his appointment to the ship. I should have been more diligent and listened to your concerns. General Eden had a lot of people fooled. Myself included, sad to say."

"Thank you General." Kacey stated.

"How are you feeling?"

"Well enough to be bored, sir. But the Doc is letting me return to desk duty on Monday."

"That is good to hear Colonel. Captain you will be happy to hear that the Joint Chiefs have approved your decision regarding the former Sergeant. His dishonorable discharge papers have been signed and processed. Unfortunately we have no way of removing him from the ship. If you have any additional problems with him, you are approved to use any means possible to deal with him."

"Thank you General. To be perfectly honest, I thought that because he was the son of General Eden I would be facing a demotion or even have the mission scrubbed."

"Would never happen." The Admiral came back on. Captain no matter what, you would not have taken the fall for this. You were chosen for this mission not only for your exemplary career, but also for your ability and strength to make the hard decisions and see them through. After the hundreds of billions of dollars spent on that ship, we would look foolish if the mission was scrubbed at this point. The Joint Chiefs do not like to look foolish. Besides Captain, word has it your mother is already after the General's hide. I do not want her after mine. You mission continues Captain. Good journey."

"Thank you Admiral" Kate was able to say just before the picture changed to the Agency logo and the screen went dark.

A few seconds of stunned silence went by, then they all let out a whoop of happiness so loud it was heard on the bridge. The crew looked at Anya. She shrugged, left her post and went to the Ready Room door where she rang the chime.

"Come" Kate's voice reached her. Anya opened the door and stepped into the room. Kate ran to her before she was halfway into the room, jumped into her arms and kissed her. Anya caught her easily.

"I take this to mean every thing turned out all right?"

"More than all right darling." Kate said and kissed Anya again. Liam and Kacey slowly made their way out of the Ready Room when it looked like they would not be coming up for air any time soon.

"I am so glad that is over dad." Kacey stated when they were on the Bridge. "That could have gone so wrong in so many different ways."

"Aye lassie it could have. What are your plans for today?"

"Thought I would go down to the Hanger and check how the test flights are going. I hope doc releases me to fly soon."

"Lieutenant Wilson to Colonel O'Malley"

"Go ahead Lieutenant."

"Colonel We have a situation in the Brig. Would you come down?"

"On my way." Kacey stated as she started to walk away. Liam's hand on her arm stopped her.

"You are not released for duty until Monday Kacey"

"I know dad, but I have to see what is going on."

Liam shook his finger at his daughter in warning. "Don't you be doing anything foolish that you will get you hurt. Don't be making me tell your mother again that you got hurt."

"I will be careful dad. Would you tell Kate?"

"Aye Lass. Go on with you." Liam released Kacey's arm. She left the Bridge and entered the lift.

"Brig" She said as the door closed.

 

To be continued...

Return to the Academy

 

Author's Page